Don’t Eat Any Yellow Snow Green Ice

SuessGreenEggsHam.JPG

Tomorrow is St. Patrick’s Day, which means MLB teams will be wearing green uniforms. Some minor league hockey and basketball teams will probably get into the act too, along with some college baseball teams, and green unis have already been on display this week in the NBA.

But anyone can throw on a green jersey or cap. It takes real commitment to do what the UHL’s Kalamazoo Wings have been doing for the past quarter-century: Every St. Paddy’s Day, they dye their ice green (additional views here and here, plus there’s a whole gallery here).

Clifford Zang, who first brought the hielo verde to my attention, says he thinks the Wings “might be the first team to have changed the color of their ice, although I couldn’t find any proof of that.” He also pointed me toward this excellent interview with the team’s GM, who explains how the promotion came about, how they color the ice, and how they’ve spun off some related ideas (like pink ice for Valentine’s Day).

But the Wings aren’t the only team who’ll have green ice this weekend. Reader Ian Borkowski, who lives in Oregon, checks in with the following report:

The Portland Winter Hawks and the Seattle Thunderbirds (both of the Western Hockey League) will be holding a joint Turn Back the Clock weekend on Friday in Seattle and then on Saturday in Portland. Seattle will wear green 1967-75 Totems sweaters (likely these) and Portland will wear white Buckaroos sweaters (likely these). But the Winter Hawks — my beloved Winter Hawks — are going to ruin it all by playing on green ice for the Saturday game.

Now, I’m not anti-Ireland or hatin’ on the Irish here — far from it. But if you stop for a moment and think about the Portland/Seattle rivalry, green has always been the color of the enemy — Seattle! Except for the Seattle Breakers in blue and orange, green has been a primary color for the skaters up north. Has Portland management forgotten that we used to play Kermit the Frog’s “It’s Not Easy Being Green” when the T-Birds would step on the Memorial Coliseum ice?

My, my — who knew green could be so fraught? As it happens, green is my favorite color, but I’ll be spending tomorrow night with some friends at Spanish/Portuguese restaurant, where I expect the only thing green will be the olives.

Yet Another Raffle: I trust that most of you have entered our latest Distant Replays raffle, which is keyed to the NCAA tournament. But listen up, cuz I’ve got something special to give away in the meantime: a Tracy McGrady authentic NBA All-Star jersey, complete with tagging, the All-Star logo on the chest, the Rockets logo on the back, and so on.

Much like the NHL All-Star jersey I raffled off back in January, I’m gonna set this one up as a fund-raiser. Here’s the deal: $3 for one virtual raffle ticket, or two for $5, five for $10, a dozen for $20, or fifty for $50. PayPal your ticket purchases to me at paul_lukas at earthlink dot net. If you’re not PayPal-ish, you can send cash or a check to Paul Lukas, 671 DeGraw St., Brooklyn, NY 11217 (just e-mail me to let me know the $$$ is in the mail, and I’ll include you in the drawing even if the envelope doesn’t arrive by the deadline). Tickets will be sold until next Friday, March 23rd, at 5pm eastern. I’ll announce the winner on Monday the 26th.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Yet another team that will be wearing green this weekend: Arizona State’s baseball team, which will be donning green caps (here’s how they looked last year). Randy Policar, the school’s Assistant Sports Information Director, adds the following: “It looks like we’ll be wearing nine different jerseys this season, which may be an NCAA record. We have old-school cream homes, classic white homes, maroon BP tops, maroon alternate, old-school gray roads, sleeveless gray roads, a black alternate jersey, a gold alternate jersey, and we also will be doing a Negro League-style throwback jersey this year.” I’m not sure that’s really the sort of record a team should be shooting for, y’know? … Really good article here about all the zeroes and double-zeroes in college basketball. … This particular instance of logo creep makes perfect sense to me. … Reader Bryan Duklewski has turned up some pics of lovable Colts stalwart/drunk Art Donovan wearing a dark helmet (and a clear facemask) and wanted to know the story behind that. Said story is available here. … Jeremy Brahm reports that the Champ Car World Series is changing its logo from this to this — a nice improvement, I’d say. Further details here. … Stirrups alert: Mike Bacsik. … Nice little bit of propaganda about the new MLB caps here. … 2002 Olympic downhill champion Fritz Strobl ended his career yesterday by dressing up as Mozart for his final run at the World Cup finals. Could’ve been worse. … Casey Hannigan was checking some photos of former Vanderbilt point guard Mario Moore, who’s now playing in Slovenia, and found “the ugliest uniforms I think I have ever seen.” He makes a pretty strong case. … “Boston College’s Sean Marshall (No. 23) wore a T-shirt under his jersey for every game this season, and he did it again in the first half of Thursday’s game against Texas Tech,” writes David Conley. “But in the second half he came out with no undershirt for the first time all season and actually had a terrific half.”

170 comments to Don’t Eat Any Yellow Snow Green Ice

• Kieran K. | March 16, 2007 at 8:05 am |

Police in India are getting new uniforms to take out the odor that they have. They’re using a new fabric to make the cops smell like a rose or lemon.

• Thorold Blair | March 16, 2007 at 8:05 am |

Is it me or does the green ice not look like a real rink? I’d expect the players to be wearing inline skates as opposed to hockey skates

• Brady | March 16, 2007 at 8:09 am |

OU’s baseball team will be wearing green socks and hats for St Patty’s day game against Michigan State as well.

• Pittsburgh Gunny | March 16, 2007 at 8:12 am |

• wooster, oh | March 16, 2007 at 8:18 am |

Lord Jeffs of Amherst play the Fighting Scots of Wooster

While the Marlins of VA Wesleyan take on the Tigers of Wash U.

• Monza | March 16, 2007 at 8:25 am |

The K-wings also do pink ice for Valentines day. I’ve got pictures from the game this year, but they are on the computer at home. Maybe I’ll post them up later.

• todd krevanchi | March 16, 2007 at 8:26 am |

hmm. checking out the uni worn by mario moore.
    i cant help but think that the fabric creating the striped leg was taken from a pair of pants worn by greg brady during his “johnny bravo” period.

• Peter Wunsch | March 16, 2007 at 8:26 am |

If I remember correctly, the Islanders dyed the ice blue in the early to mid-80’s so that it would look better on TV. Of course, nothing could make the Nassau Coliseum look good, ever. And, yes, I am a Rangers fan.

• Monza | March 16, 2007 at 8:26 am |

Already mentioned in the post. I should read things all the way through in the morning…

• Peter Wunsch | March 16, 2007 at 8:28 am |

Not uni-related, but, Paul your web-server apparently did not get the message last week about the change in daylight savings time. Note that some of us have posted responses before you posted the blog.

• Paul Lukas | March 16, 2007 at 8:38 am |

[quote comment=”60678″]Not uni-related, but, Paul your web-server apparently did not get the message last week about the change in daylight savings time.[/quote]

Yeah, I know. It’s on a very long list of things I need to address….

• Pantherfid | March 16, 2007 at 8:45 am |

Not sure what to weat tomorrow while you are drinking a little green beer while watching the NCAAs? Here are some ideas…

San Francisco Shamrocks

New York Cosmos

Seattle Metropolotians

Okland Oaks Uni

Cienfuegos Elefantes Uni

Tons of others out there…let’s see what cool unis with some green we can find.

• Wade | March 16, 2007 at 8:51 am |

You mean these cool green unis?

• Kerry | March 16, 2007 at 8:52 am |

Just curious, but does anyone consider the inclusion of orange as a color on THESE ST. PATTY’S DAY JERSEYS to be an insult to the Irish Catholics even though it’s obvious the team is trying to tie the jersey in with the IRISH FLAG?

Just curious; I’m not trying to be funny or a smart ass. I am really fascinated by all of this talk of how the colors can completely alienate a team from part of its fan base without even realizing it.

• Broker75 | March 16, 2007 at 8:58 am |

Back in the day the ice was never painted. Now it’s normally painted white.

• Broker75 | March 16, 2007 at 8:59 am |

When did the Oilers wear these jerseys?

• Adam in Chicago | March 16, 2007 at 9:00 am |

Lord Jeffs of Amherst play the Fighting Scots of Wooster

While the Marlins of VA Wesleyan take on the Tigers of Wash U.[/quote]

Wash U. (from my hometown of St. Louis) are actually the Bears.

• Broker75 | March 16, 2007 at 9:03 am |
  • Broker75 | March 16, 2007 at 9:04 am |

This Nordiques jersey doesn’t even look real.

• Broker75 | March 16, 2007 at 9:06 am |

The most basic (yet effective) patch I’ve ever seen.

• Broker75 | March 16, 2007 at 9:07 am |

Anybody remember these jerseys?

• Broker75 | March 16, 2007 at 9:09 am |

Now that’s color coordination.

• Teebz | March 16, 2007 at 9:14 am |

[quote comment=”60691″]When did the Oilers wear these jerseys?[/quote]

In the WHA.

• Teebz | March 16, 2007 at 9:14 am |

[quote comment=”60694″]This Nordiques jersey doesn’t even look real.[/quote]

Again, WHA.

• jsdryden | March 16, 2007 at 9:19 am |

Buffalo used blue ice two years ago during the lockout, story here:

• jsdryden | March 16, 2007 at 9:20 am |

Oops Link:

href=”http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2005-03-15-blue-ice_x.htm”>

• wooster, oh | March 16, 2007 at 9:21 am |

[quote comment=”60692″][quote comment=”60669″]Division III Final Four this weekend. Not exactly uni-centric, but there are some interesting nicknames:

Lord Jeffs of Amherst play the Fighting Scots of Wooster

While the Marlins of VA Wesleyan take on the Tigers of Wash U.[/quote]

Wash U. (from my hometown of St. Louis) are actually the Bears.[/quote]

Yeah, I’m an idiot. I was typing and not thinking.
    PS, your Brookings Hall at Wash U is remarkably similar to Kauke Hall at Wooster

• wooster, oh | March 16, 2007 at 9:23 am |

Sorry, here’s Brookings Hall

• Broker75 | March 16, 2007 at 9:23 am |

Do the Houston Aeros still exist?

• jsdryden | March 16, 2007 at 9:24 am |

I’ll try again:

• Ethan | March 16, 2007 at 9:28 am |

How about the most Obvious St Pats Jersey

• Jonathon | March 16, 2007 at 9:29 am |

• Broker75 | March 16, 2007 at 9:31 am |

• Ethan | March 16, 2007 at 9:31 am |

Which is remarkably similar to Fordham’s Keating Hall

• Matty L. | March 16, 2007 at 9:32 am |

Blue ice, orange blue lines (that makes sense), dark blue centre line, orange face-off circles, goal line and crease didn’t change colour.

• Ethan | March 16, 2007 at 9:35 am |

[quote comment=”60711″]anyone notice the red stripe on the shorts of the George Washington players yesterday?[/quote]
    Red Stripe for GW alum Red Aurbach…of course after their 33 point loss, these are the only Red Stripes GW fans need to worry about.

• Teebz | March 16, 2007 at 9:36 am |

[quote comment=”60706″]Do the Houston Aeros still exist?[/quote]

Yes, as part of the AHL. Here’s what they currently look like. They are the Minnesota Wild’s AHL affiliate.

• Erich | March 16, 2007 at 9:48 am |

Thank you Teebz for all your hockey knowledge!!! Love your blog by the way

• Teebz | March 16, 2007 at 9:51 am |

[quote comment=”60727″]Thank you Teebz for all your hockey knowledge!!! Love your blog by the way[/quote]

No problem, Erich. Just doing my hockey-related work in my own way. :o)

Besides, it was spawned from the talk in here as to having a “Hockey Wing” of Uni Watch. So I have Paul and all the readers of Uni Watch to thank. And I am sincerely grateful.

• Broker75 | March 16, 2007 at 9:53 am |

That’s where the Chargers got their new uni idea from.

• Kerry | March 16, 2007 at 9:56 am |

• Teebz | March 16, 2007 at 9:58 am |

And there are always other choices in NCAA Division I – Football Championship Subdivision jerseys like NORTH DAKOTA STATE, WILLIAM & MARY, FLORIDA A&M’S TRAINWRECK UNIS, SACRAMENTO STATE, PORTLAND STATE (must be an Oregon thing with the hideous unis), DARTMOUTH BIG GREEN (although I like THESE throwbacks MUCH better), and JACKSONVILLE UNIVERSITY (to name a few).[/quote]

Nice facemasking on that Portland State picture.

• Broker75 | March 16, 2007 at 10:04 am |

ehhhhh, ahh….anybody got any weed

• Broker75 | March 16, 2007 at 10:06 am |

Was this the only other # 99? other than Gretzky?

• DenverGregg | March 16, 2007 at 10:07 am |

The Totems jersey shown is one of the best-looking jerseys I’ve ever seen. Thanks for the heads-up.

• Eriq Jaffe | March 16, 2007 at 10:09 am |

FWIW, The Chicago Wolves wore St. Patrick’s Day jerseys on Wednesday:

Here’s a picture of them.

Their home page has a Flash photo gallery up right now with in-game pictures, too.

I seem to remember that the Wolves used to dye their ice green, but I don’t follow them closely enough to know for sure.

• Kerry | March 16, 2007 at 10:09 am |

[quote comment=”60754″][quote comment=”60753″]Also, another local college team here in southeastern Louisiana – SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA UNIVERSITY LIONS. These unis would be MUCH better if not for the crappy side panel on the jersey and the number font & WHITE shadow. AWAY UNIS look much better due to the LACK of the side panel. Looking at the picture, it seems as though the TTU player is dropping the Power Bomb, compliments of Captain Insano!

Nice facemasking on that Portland State picture.[/quote]

• Bill T. | March 16, 2007 at 10:19 am |

[quote comment=”60754″]
    Nice facemasking on that Portland State picture.[/quote]

That’s a good old fashioned stiff-arm – just like what this guy is doing. Perfectly legal.

• Greg Riffenburgh | March 16, 2007 at 10:23 am |

Paul,

I was looking through SI’s photo gallery of college football spring storylines and saw this picture of Jimmy Clausen. Notice that he uses tape around his waist to cover his belt and help keep his pants up. I’ve seen it before on other players (usually WRs), but never so intneionally styled as his is with the maroon stripe on it.

• ALK | March 16, 2007 at 10:34 am |

Did anybody notice point 5 of the MLB cap article/propaganda: “5. Players will smell better”. I am glad they finally got around to addressing this issue.

• Broker75 | March 16, 2007 at 10:34 am |

This guys a true champion.

• Broker75 | March 16, 2007 at 10:38 am |

Cubs should go back to being dark blue..nicer color.

• Teebz | March 16, 2007 at 10:45 am |

[quote comment=”60763″]
    Nice facemasking on that Portland State picture.[/quote]
    I don’t know…I don’t see him actually grasping the facemask…looks like a clean stiff-arm to me![/quote]

My bad, gents. Good call.

After reviewing the play, it appeared that he had a hold of a strap on the underside of the mask where the mouthguard would attach. However, upon further examination, it’s part of his glove.

No penalty on the play… first-down, Portland State. :o)

• Broker75 | March 16, 2007 at 10:48 am |

The striping of the stirrups back in the day rocked!

• Broker75 | March 16, 2007 at 10:51 am |

Look at the size of the MLB patch on Palmer’s sleeve.

• Broker75 | March 16, 2007 at 10:54 am |

Last one (so you all can rejoice as I will stop annoying everybody), but this is HOW THE METS SHOULD LOOK.

• Broker75 | March 16, 2007 at 10:57 am |

Can’t forget this guy, where is his head anyways.?.done/

• Ethan | March 16, 2007 at 11:01 am |

More Green…

Marshall

And The all-time Greatest

• Joe | March 16, 2007 at 11:01 am |

Thats just bad ice, you are seeing the refrigeration equiptment.

• Shane S. | March 16, 2007 at 11:07 am |

I used to work concessions at Wings Stadium when I was in college (Go Broncos!), and the St. Patty’s Day game I worked was wild. The rink made the place look like an Indoor Lacrosse event! Even the blood spilled on the ice made a great visual.

• Joe | March 16, 2007 at 11:07 am |

Nice facemasking on that Portland State picture.[/quote]

Thats teh tacklers own hand on his face mask, no penalty there, just gota nice stiff arm from teh ball carrier.

• Kerry | March 16, 2007 at 11:09 am |

[quote comment=”60779″][quote comment=”60668″]That green ice made me think of the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid. I remember watching those games on TV and thought the ice looked bluer than normal, I think they tinted the ice in Lake Placid to try and make it easier to watch on TV. Of course in the long run it did not matter as the Good Guys won it all, anyways you can kind of see the blue tint here.[/quote]

Thats just bad ice, you are seeing the refrigeration equiptment.[/quote]
    Agreed. Looks like something UNDER the ice.

• Surly | March 16, 2007 at 11:10 am |

Check out these pads

• Surly | March 16, 2007 at 11:12 am |

might help if I include the link

Pads

• Kerry | March 16, 2007 at 11:13 am |

[quote comment=”60784″]might help if I include the link

Pads[/quote]
    What pads…I don’t see any pads??? :D

• James Craven | March 16, 2007 at 11:43 am |

Wow. A reference from The Waterboy. Big Show mentioned that in a WWE program not long ago, then John Cena mentioned The Marine, then Booker T topped that with Ready To Rumble, at which Show and Cena LOL’d. I digress, though.

• Mark in Shiga | March 16, 2007 at 11:51 am |

I loved that article about baksetball players wearing number zero.

Here in Japan where they’re always running out of jersey numbers, they’ve started issuing both 0 and 00 on the same team. That seems a little bizarre to me given that the two numbers have the same value, but every team hands out both numbers, and the Hanshin Tigers once even had a 2 and 02 at the same time (early ’90s; a guy named Matsunaga wanted 2 but it was taken).

The Padres certainly didn’t have a player wearing 9 while Benito Santiago was 09. 09 is just a variation of “regular” 9.

The only time I’ve ever seen both 0 and 00 on separate players outside of Japan was with the 1980s Blue Jays teams.

Any others?

• Matthew S. | March 16, 2007 at 11:54 am |

Lord Jeffs of Amherst play the Fighting Scots of Wooster

While the Marlins of VA Wesleyan take on the Tigers of Wash U.[/quote]

The inspiration for Amherst’s nickname: http://en.wikipedia....

• tc | March 16, 2007 at 11:57 am |

how about the London Irish

nice tackle

• Mark in Shiga | March 16, 2007 at 12:16 pm |

In soccer, Celtic has worn green for years.

• Mark in Shiga | March 16, 2007 at 12:18 pm |

Also the Nankai Hawks (now in Fukuoka) in the Japanese Pacific League.

• BA | March 16, 2007 at 12:22 pm |

I personally think they look rediculous, but I love the tradition and history that goes along with it, so I guess its acceptable.

I am curious what everyone on here thinks about them.

• Dean | March 16, 2007 at 12:24 pm |

I was watching Sportscenter last night, and I’m sure this has been covered, but what is up with Milwaukee’s (Bucks) floor? I can’t explain it, so I’m going to try to link it. Could someone please tell me what they were thinking though.

NBA.com – Bucks vs Toronto – 1/10/07

• Ben | March 16, 2007 at 12:25 pm |

In that Southeastern Football pic, Donald Usry is a friend of mine. I must say it’s very, very weird to see guys you know in a picture on the interwebs.

• Dean | March 16, 2007 at 12:25 pm |
  • Allison | March 16, 2007 at 12:29 pm |

[quote comment=”60789″]
    nice tackle[/quote]

Reminds me of a textbook fireman’s carry.

• Vincent A. Cipollone | March 16, 2007 at 12:32 pm |

That’s the lame two-tone affect. The Cavaliers also do it

The Cavaliers

• Joe | March 16, 2007 at 12:33 pm |

[quote comment=”60786″]Looking at the picture, it seems as though the TTU player is dropping the Power Bomb, compliments of Captain Insano!

As for how they make the ice that color, one part food coloring mixed with one part hot water.[/quote]

Ughhhh…I was at a filming for Ready to Rumble. If you slow-mo the crowd in some shots you can clearly see me!

• Metsfan AZ | March 16, 2007 at 12:35 pm |

[quote comment=”60795″]http://aol.nba.com/bucks/photogallery/vsToronto_11007.html?curPhoto=1[/quote]

• Quint | March 16, 2007 at 12:48 pm |

• Ron | March 16, 2007 at 1:02 pm |

[quote comment=”60696″]Anybody remember these jerseys?[/quote]

Since the shared the Forum, he decided to have the same colors as the Lakers.

• Tim D | March 16, 2007 at 1:06 pm |

[quote comment=”60805″][quote comment=”60696″]Anybody remember these jerseys?[/quote]

Since the shared the Forum, he decided to have the same colors as the Lakers.

Years later under the McNall ownership and Gretzky years, they switched to silver and black inspired by the then Los Angeles Raiders.[/quote]

That is absolutely correct. They also had a uniform for a short time that was completely YELLOW from head to toe…now THOSE were scary man…

• Mike | March 16, 2007 at 1:16 pm |

Looks like the Arena League is getting into the spirit of the season….

• Mike | March 16, 2007 at 1:16 pm |
  • Matt W | March 16, 2007 at 1:17 pm |

Not sure if I’ve read anyone’s thoughts after seeing any of the new Nike System of Dress unis live, but I was in Lexington yesterday for the 1st round of NCAAs, which included the Ohio State game; overall, I thought the whites looked pretty nice. I will say the jersey looked much . . . cleaner than the very baggy ones some other teams were wearing, but the shorts really didn’t look much longer or worse in person than those of other teams. During the game, some players on Central Conn looked as though they were wearing shorts just as long and loose, as did Louisville, Texas A&M, etc.

I’m sure some will disagree, but just my two cents having seen OSU’s live — but no one had even the new short sleeve undershirts on, let alone the long-sleeve version.

• Metsfan AZ | March 16, 2007 at 1:26 pm |

Since the shared the Forum, he decided to have the same colors as the Lakers.

This was THE start of the black merchandising. With NWA rocking the Kings and Raiders gear and other rap groups following suit tons of rap fans started buying up black merchandise. I distinctly remember that right around that time the Rockies came into existence and after “market research” decided that black and silver were very popular. Unfortunately purple also came along. Now we have this.

• Metsfan AZ | March 16, 2007 at 1:28 pm |

My last post led me to this. Paul do you have one of these?

• Original Jim | March 16, 2007 at 1:33 pm |

[quote comment=”60716″]During the lockout the NHL and AHL decided to test out a new ice and line colouring for a few games that Rochester was playing in Buffalo.

This is the best pic I could manage to find. I remember that some dumb explanation about it was given that the experiment was to see if it was easier to track a puck over the blue surface then over the normal white. Black on white seems to be bit more of a contrast to me.[/quote]

Now, here’s something I could never understand…why change the blue lines to orange? The blue ice was not dark at all. Couldn’t the red and blue lines have been left as they were, or made just a little darker?

I think changing those lines to orange really made the whole thing look dumb.

[quote]that reminds me… when the new Bucks colors, logo and wordmark were introduced a Graphic Artist/Designer was on here (sorry, don’t remember the name) and gave a very nicely detailed critique of many glaring flaws in the wordmark. Were these corrected? [/quote]

Nothing has been fixed, as far as I’ve seen.

• UwantRadie | March 16, 2007 at 1:36 pm |

If it is a big headache, then just wait 2 weeks and see if it fixes itself. A lot of systems are still planning on changing it at the normal date.

Just saying, we wont mind an hour difference for a few weeks if it really requires some hassle.

• Kyle at IU | March 16, 2007 at 1:44 pm |

The UCLA dance team have quite a sense of style. They wore three different uniforms, and the third one involved a white #23 jersey, normal cheerleader skirts, and some beautiful striped socks with a vertical “UCLA” word mark on them. I don’t have a pic right now, but it was excellent to look at.

Side note: one player (don’t know his name — UCLA fans help me out) had to switch to a #21 jersey with no name on it at halftime.

• UwantRadie | March 16, 2007 at 1:45 pm |

What ever came of that expiriment. I guess not much. But did it look better on HDTV’s?

• patrick | March 16, 2007 at 1:51 pm |

[quote comment=”60792″]Ok…so I was watching Indiana hoops last night, and they were rocking the vertically-striped warmups on the bench (as they always do).

I am curious what everyone on here thinks about them.[/quote]

I have a good friend that attended IU and he LOVES THEM. I on the other hand, think theyre fine on the basketball team, but have a big porblem with fans wearing them. A)who wears warmups? I mean, does anyone out there own a warm up suit of a team? and B) They’re not even CLOSE to fashionable

• UwantRadie | March 16, 2007 at 2:00 pm |

LONG HITS?

What kind of stat is that?

Anyone know anything about it?

• jsdryden | March 16, 2007 at 2:03 pm |

Let’s try one last time after trying to do my real job…
    Blue Ice Article

• UwantRadie | March 16, 2007 at 2:05 pm |

Oh without a doubt!

I think iread somewhere that the city of Hartford has the rights to the logo and refuses to make any more merchendise, which is really unfortunate. I need the Whale to go along with my classic Brewers hat (worn everyday for almost 6 years). THose are the all time best two logos in history.

PAUL, PLEASE DO A STORY ON THE CITY OF HARTFORD AND THE WHALE LOGO. PLEASE!

• Derek G. | March 16, 2007 at 2:22 pm |

anyone see the jerseys that Memphis was wearing today? Have they had that stupid stripe all over the jersey all year long?

• wooster, oh | March 16, 2007 at 2:27 pm |

Credit where credit is due….this link is courtesy of Bill Simmon’s running diary of the games today. Anyway, it’s Memphis’ Rifle Team
    Talk about uniforms….

• Kerry | March 16, 2007 at 2:28 pm |

• Kenny | March 16, 2007 at 2:30 pm |

Actually, Hiromi Matsunaga started out the ’91 season wearing #2, but I guess he liked what Benito Santiago did and decided to copy him because midway through that season, he switched to #02.

• UwantRadie | March 16, 2007 at 2:30 pm |

Not uni-related but I used to work at Shea and we sold them briefly (I think only at the stand behind home plate on the field level where that new store is now) and even though I am not jewish, I took one of those (I pretty much robbed the place blind (no inventory check to speak of at the time).

I got some cool stuff over the years. My All Time favorite thing? A smal bat (but not a mini bat) that has the Mets and Shea logos on it. It looked classy and simple. But the kciker was that it was actually a Pepper Mill. Awesome.

• Brother B | March 16, 2007 at 3:01 pm |
  • Kerry | March 16, 2007 at 3:09 pm |

[quote comment=”60831″]New Miami Hurricanes Unis:[/quote]
    You need to be a subscriber to see the article. Does it show pictures of what they’ll look like? If so, any way you could share with those of us that aren’t subscribers?

• UwantRadie | March 16, 2007 at 3:13 pm |

[quote comment=”60831″]New Miami Hurricanes Unis:[/quote]

Thanks for nothing.

• Paul Lukas | March 16, 2007 at 3:13 pm |

This may surprise you, but I don’t own any Mets-logo merch (or any yamulkes).

• Kerry | March 16, 2007 at 3:16 pm |

This may surprise you, but I don’t own any Mets-logo merch (or any yamulkes).[/quote]

• stuby | March 16, 2007 at 3:25 pm |

[quote comment=”60773″]Look at the size of the MLB patch on Palmer’s sleeve.[/quote]
    I think that is the MLB 100th anniversary patch in 1969.

• =bg= | March 16, 2007 at 3:27 pm |

no hoody for Angry Homeless Man?

• =bg= | March 16, 2007 at 3:28 pm |

One more.
    A classic baseball face..in an un-classic uni.

• BA | March 16, 2007 at 3:30 pm |

Good link to the new Miami Unis

• Paul Lukas | March 16, 2007 at 3:32 pm |

[quote comment=”60835″][quote comment=”60834″][quote comment=”60813″]My last post led me to this. Paul do you have one of these?[/quote]

You’re right…that surprises the HELL out of me. Any particular reason why you don’t?[/quote]

Just not my bag — I’ve never been interested in team-branded merch. I care about what the players wear; I’m not interested in dressing up like them, and I don’t feel the need to own a Mets lampshade (or whatever). There are already a jillion people in this town wearing Mets gear — do I really need to make it a jillion and one? The Mets occupy a huge part of my brain as it is — I don’t really see the need to commodify my love for them.

• Kerry | March 16, 2007 at 3:36 pm |

[quote comment=”60840″]Good link to the new Miami Unis[/quote]
    Wow, still pretty ugly….but I think they’re a slight improvement over the current unis.

• Metsfan AZ | March 16, 2007 at 3:37 pm |

[quote comment=”60840″]Good link to the new Miami Unis[/quote]
    Oh boy! I can’t wait to see them in Navy and Red for Arizona. yecch. not any worse than what they’re wearing now but no better either. very template-ish.

• Joe | March 16, 2007 at 3:42 pm |

[quote comment=”60840″]Good link to the new Miami Unis[/quote]

I like them better, but why are the names so small???

• Wes | March 16, 2007 at 3:43 pm |

Mark Prior apparently tried to change up his recent pitching woes by shaking up his attire and nixing his trademark stirrups for low pants. Not that it helped–2 BBs, 1 hit batter, and reportedly no velocity. He’s literally adding insult to injury.

• Kerry | March 16, 2007 at 3:46 pm |

quote comment=”60840″]Good link to the new Miami Unis[/quote]
    And what’s the deal with Nike drawing so much attention to players’ asses in football and basketball?!

• Matthew S. | March 16, 2007 at 3:51 pm |

[quote comment=”60840″]Good link to the new Miami Unis[/quote]

• Metsfan AZ | March 16, 2007 at 3:55 pm |

[quote comment=”60847″][quote comment=”60840″]Good link to the new Miami Unis[/quote]

God help us, could they actually attempt an orange on orange combination? Has this happened before?[/quote]
    Clemson has worn the combo before.

• Joe | March 16, 2007 at 4:02 pm |

Since the shared the Forum, he decided to have the same colors as the Lakers.

• Kerry | March 16, 2007 at 4:08 pm |

[quote comment=”60849″]The Kings were onced owned by Jack Kent Cook who at the time also owned if I am not mistaken the Los Angeles Lakers.

Since the shared the Forum, he decided to have the same colors as the Lakers.

Not that purple and gold is that attractive, but I preferred the Kings in those colors to blue/black/silver. I mean the KINGS purple and gold are royal colors, it made sense. The colors worked with the name.[/quote]
    I don’t know, seems to work GREAT to me!

• DZ | March 16, 2007 at 4:28 pm |

[quote comment=”60713″]Those AREN’T shamrocks. Shame on you, blah blah blah, protest, catholic, aka boring conversations. Sorry, but I had to, am I’m Catholic.[/quote]
    That’s because they’re supposed to be maple leaves.

• Travis | March 16, 2007 at 4:34 pm |

Tell me Lukas, what first hand knowledge do you possess that Donovan is as you proclaim, a drunk.

Far as I know, Donovan has never been forced to go into a rehab facility and has never been arrested and charged with a DUI.

• Teebz | March 16, 2007 at 4:39 pm |

Lukas, either come up with some solid evidence to back up your slanderous bleatings or apologize.[/quote]

Um, how about this article?

• Metsfan AZ | March 16, 2007 at 4:41 pm |

[quote comment=”60854″][quote comment=”60853″]And now Lukas is back to his usual game of slander and character assassination with his comments about Hall of Famer Art Donovan.

Um, how about this article?

Just because he’s never been arrested doesn’t mean he hasn’t had his run-ins with alcohol.[/quote]
    Beat me to it. Google – Art Donovan drunk – voila!

• Brian D J | March 16, 2007 at 4:42 pm |

For what it’s worth, The boys on the Don and Mike Show are talking about the new Chargers Unis and ended up dabbling in Baseball. You should be able to read it or listen to it on their site later today (about the 5:30 EST mark)

• Teebz | March 16, 2007 at 4:46 pm |

[quote comment=”60855″]
    Beat me to it. Google – Art Donovan drunk – voila![/quote]

I actually remember seeing that article on-line when I was looking for “drunk” + “athlete” + “hockey” on Google when I was going to write an article about drunk hockey players.

I’m glad to see that he’s cleaned himself up, though. Good for Artie.

• Eric | March 16, 2007 at 4:51 pm |

• Teebz | March 16, 2007 at 5:01 pm |

[quote comment=”60853″]

Oh, and I believe you owe “Lukas” an apology for “your slanderous bleatings”.

• Allison | March 16, 2007 at 5:22 pm |

[quote comment=”60859″]looking for good shots of a particular green vs green game, i found this shot of an old helmet from north dakota state that i thought was prett cool.

Cool helmet, would be cooler if the decal wasn’t wrinkled. It took me a while to master the art of putting stickers on a rounded surface, but I thought an equipment manager would definitely know how to do it.

• Mike Engle | March 16, 2007 at 5:22 pm |

[quote comment=”60802″]Doesn’t it stand to reason that the greatest team in professional sports would have the best green uniforms?[/quote]
    The Oakland Athletics’ uniform is only good with green stirrups, yellow sanitaries, and the white shoes. Exotique!

• Judd | March 16, 2007 at 5:31 pm |

[quote comment=”60823″]Oh without a doubt!

PAUL, PLEASE DO A STORY ON THE CITY OF HARTFORD AND THE WHALE LOGO. PLEASE!

Maybe we can rise as one and get them to start makign at least some hats or something.[/quote]

It’s not the City of Hartford, but the Connecticut Development Agency that owns the Whaler name, logo, colors, uni and all that goodness.

My own replica Whalers jersey is ten years old, I can’t recall actually seing them for sale in any of the stores around here in the last decade or so. You see the regalia worn every once in a while, but not frequently in and around New Haven.

• Judd | March 16, 2007 at 5:34 pm |

[quote comment=”60819″]LONG HITS?

What kind of stat is that?

Anyone know anything about it?[/quote]

The old terminology for extra-base hits.

• Allison | March 16, 2007 at 5:51 pm |

Random remarks from looking through new Sports Illustrated photo galleries:

The patch on the shorts of North Texas looks too big and out of place.

Not a big fan of the “U” on Albany’s tops. Wouldn’t “Albany” be sufficient?

I’ve always liked Tennessee’s uniforms.

Is TLR wearing faux stirrup socks? And is that really Bill? He cleaned up alright.

That head looks out of proportion to the body. But I laughed at the caption.

Dontrelle needs to go back to this.

• ToasterPoodle | March 16, 2007 at 5:59 pm |

Um, how about this article?

No way! You mean Travis, uniwatch’s own No. 16 seed, was wrong again. Color me shocked.

• ToasterPoodle | March 16, 2007 at 6:01 pm |

[quote comment=”60840″]Good link to the new Miami Unis[/quote]
    Miami with nike’s help, once again puts ‘The U’ in SUCK.

• Joey Guns | March 16, 2007 at 6:02 pm |

Paul, approx. how many people entered the NCAA Uniwatch tourney?

• 5w50 | March 16, 2007 at 6:07 pm |

and the Knicks on MSG – ’tis green jerseys for them, too.

• Vegas4BOC | March 16, 2007 at 6:07 pm |

And now Travis is back to his usual game of slander and character assassination with his comments about Lukas.

Now for a Uniwatch related comment: Diggin’ the Devils in Green this weekend. GO DEVILS !!

• Bob A | March 16, 2007 at 6:24 pm |

[quote comment=”60853″]
    LOL @ “Travis”

• Allison | March 16, 2007 at 6:27 pm |

[quote comment=”60873″][quote comment=”60853″]
    LOL @ “Travis”[/quote]

Is it sad that when I saw the picture of the fish within a fish that I thought of the redundancy issue surrounding the Miami Dolphins helmet?

• Tom | March 16, 2007 at 6:27 pm |

Don’t have a picture but at least one Texas A&M-Corpus Christi player had the Islander logo on his socks.

• Brian from Short Island | March 16, 2007 at 6:32 pm |

Albany is out! Justice for this Siena fan!

In other news, you can’t talk about green uniforms without mentioning the famous Glasgow Celtic!

Hail Hail!

• 5w50 | March 16, 2007 at 6:39 pm |

[quote comment=”60870″]Tonight’s Rangers/Atlanta Thrashers game on Fox Sports NY .. Atlanta wearing special St. Patrick’s green jerseys … the player’s number is within a large white shamrock ….
    and the Knicks on MSG – ’tis green jerseys for them, too.[/quote]
    FYI the Thrashers wore them just for the pre-game.

• Joey Guns | March 16, 2007 at 6:39 pm |

and the Knicks on MSG – ’tis green jerseys for them, too.[/quote]

I’m watching the Rangers-Thrashers game and I don’t see any special jerseys on either team. The Knicks have their green jerseys on, though.

• Joey Guns | March 16, 2007 at 6:41 pm |

Some of the Knicks are wearing green headbands with a “NYK” logo on it. Some of the Knicks have green socks on too. Most have white socks though.

• Eric | March 16, 2007 at 6:44 pm |

found the green vs green game i was looking for.

• Tom | March 16, 2007 at 6:45 pm |

Found the TAMUCC socks here. Third player from the left.

Also if anyone is interested in a Green Golden State Warriors throwback T-shirt, use coupon code: PAT to pick it up for $12.

• Miguel | March 16, 2007 at 6:50 pm |

Nick Fazekas rocking Jordan Team 9.5’s for an adidas-sposored team in the NCAA tourney.

You don’t see brand-mixing too often anymore. I wonder how he got away with it.

• =bg= | March 16, 2007 at 7:08 pm |

. how tiresome.

• Derek G. | March 16, 2007 at 7:08 pm |

Just saw the new Arizona “System of Dress” and don’t think it’s too bad. I’m more of a fan of the older “CATS” shorts and it looks kind of lame on these shorts. Oh and what’s with the stupid silver stuff on the shoulders???

couldn’t find a decent pic to link

• =bg= | March 16, 2007 at 7:10 pm |

oops, forgot this.

“At one time, Donovan would drink a case of beer a day, absorbing it as though he was a giant sponge, and still be able to walk a straight line.”

a case a day? giant sponge? Nah, no problem there.

• Derek G. | March 16, 2007 at 7:21 pm |

here is the Arizona system of dress in action

probably the first time i’ve seen piping on jersey and shorts match up

• =bg= | March 16, 2007 at 7:30 pm |

NASCAR logo creep -if such a thing is possible..

• Frank Mercogliano | March 16, 2007 at 7:56 pm |

[quote comment=”60827″]Wow, saw some pics of North Texas practicing yesterday and – man – that is one HUGE SWOOSH! Which is kinda weird since the team is outfitted with WILSON unis.[/quote]

According to the official team handbook that all the teams get (I’m at Stanford with Idaho State’s women’s team…playing tomorrow at 4:30 pm Eastern on ESPN!) that swoosh is subject to a fine, and I’m amazed the NCAA folks didn’t say something to him…the logo is not supposed to be larger than 2 1/4 inches.

Frank

• Andy from KC | March 16, 2007 at 8:34 pm |

[quote comment=”60882″]found the green vs green game i was looking for.

this is really just a plug for Northwest Missouri State University (in white). the other team is Missouri Southern. their unis look better with yellow pants.[/quote]

I was at the MIAA basketball tournament a couple of weeks ago. I thought Northwest and Missouri Southern both looked very sharp in their first-round game, but Northwest’s black warmups were nothing short of an atrocity … think this. But then again, I’m a Truman State alumnus, so maybe I should just shut the hell up.

• Eric | March 16, 2007 at 8:59 pm |

when did you go to Truman?

can i interest you in a hickory stick?

• Madd Matt | March 16, 2007 at 9:10 pm |

This is probally obvious, but can someone help me…

What does the 11 patch on Villanova’s jersey mean?

It’s probally for a player, but I dunno for sure…

• Joey Guns | March 16, 2007 at 9:58 pm |

[quote comment=”60901″]This is probally obvious, but can someone help me…

What does the 11 patch on Villanova’s jersey mean?

It’s probally for a player, but I dunno for sure…[/quote]

One of their former players was #11 and he passed away.

• Joey Guns | March 16, 2007 at 10:05 pm |

Paul Arizin wore #11 at Villanova back in the late 1940’s. He was a 1st round draft pick in 1950. He was inducted into Hall of Fame as Player in 1978. He died in December 2006.

• Andy from KC | March 16, 2007 at 10:16 pm |

[quote comment=”60898″]when did you go to Truman?

can i interest you in a hickory stick?[/quote]

’95-’99.

LOL … You can keep the hickory stick if you want. (Of course, you’d have to keep it for like 30 years before you guys finally have a winning record against us, but still …) :)

• Bill T. | March 16, 2007 at 10:30 pm |

[quote comment=”60823″]Oh without a doubt!

PAUL, PLEASE DO A STORY ON THE CITY OF HARTFORD AND THE WHALE LOGO. PLEASE!

I second.

• tessa | March 16, 2007 at 11:30 pm |

Interesting Commentary vs. Slanderous Bleatings

(It is sheep that bleat, right?)

• Eric | March 16, 2007 at 11:43 pm |

was it called Truman or NEMO when you went there? i can’t remember when it changed over.

i graduated from NW in ’93

• Minna H. | March 16, 2007 at 11:58 pm |

I dig the Albany color scheme, but I do not like the B-I-G stripe o’ yellow on the shorts with nary a stripe on the side panels of the uni to match. Ok, there are two narrow lines, but it still looks weird.

Not-so-killer bees.

• Paul Lukas | March 17, 2007 at 12:16 am |

• Minna H. | March 17, 2007 at 12:36 am |

[quote comment=”60922″][quote comment=”60921″]By the way, this is the first time I filled out brackets, and I don’t like it. I usually root for the underdog or the better uni if I have no vested interest in the teams playing, but now I find myself rooting for the teams that will help me out (goooo Salukis).[/quote]

This is EXACTLY why I never play fantasy sports, bet on sports, fill out brackets, or anything of that sort. I don’t wany any outside interests competing with my raw instincts as a fan. If I want to cheer (or boo) someone, I want to be able to do it wholeheartedly, without any conflictedness.[/quote]

Paul, I hear you. I don’t think I would do it again. It makes the games a bit less fun. However, I found myself rooting for teams to bust my own brackets, so it’s all good.

• Jon D. | March 17, 2007 at 1:39 am |

Interesting tidbit from tonight’s Kentucky/Villanova tournament game: UK has two players with the last name “Perry” – Bobby and Dwight. Bobby is a starter; Dwight has played in 3 games all season. The coach that filled out the lineup sheet for tonight’s game inadvertently checked Dwight’s name, and turned it in. By rule, he had to start. Needless to say, right after the opening tip, little Dwight (who looked like he was about 14) fouled a ‘Nova player, and was immediately replaced by Bobby (he had a shit-eating grin on the way out of the game, and the rest of the bench got a kick out of it).

Anyway, to the uni-related portion of this; the back of Dwight Perry’s jersey was clearly nameless, unlike the rest of the team’s. I thought the whole thing was pretty cool, and it probably made the kid’s season of riding the bench worth it.

• Kelli | March 17, 2007 at 1:40 am |

[quote comment=”60840″]Good link to the new Miami Unis[/quote]

Good to see that the bib has moved from their jersey’s to their asses.

• Phillip | March 17, 2007 at 5:30 am |

Yes, Memphis’ basketball team has worn those uniforms all season. They change every year under Calipari. Kids love them. Most Memphis fans (including me) whine because they are basically a blue and white color scheme, whereas the school’s colors are blue and gray. There is no gray on either the home white or road blue.

• Al | March 17, 2007 at 8:45 am |

Paul,
    Thought I’d update you on the Iowa high school that was being sued by Wisconsin for copying their “motion W”. The school, Waukee High, has caved in and will spend “thousands” of dollars to come up with a new logo. What is this world coming to?
    Also, regarding the pic of Artie Donovan, the Colts originally had a dark helmet that had the horseshoes in the back where the Colts place their awesome large numbers today.