Chain Letter

Image39.gif

I don’t know what the record is for most mentions of chain-stitching in a week, but I think we’re about to break it.

As you may recall, the topic first came up on Monday in my latest ESPN column, when I reported that the Cardinals were the only remaining MLB to chain-stitch their insignia directly onto their jersey, while the Astros and Phillies chain-stitched their logos onto patches that were then sewn onto the garment. (Other MLB teams don’t employ chain-stitching at all.)

That prompted a reply from Kevin Gee, who insisted that the Astros used direct-embroidered chain-stitching, with no patch, and provided visual evidence to support his claim. So I apologized to the good people of Houston and added the ‘Stros to the direct-embroidered camp, along with the Cardinals.

But now Uni Watch Graphics Director Scott M.X. Turner (who, incidentally, has whipped up a nifty design for a Uni Watch temporary tattoo — stay tuned for ordering details soon) has brought an even more esoteric distinction to the debate. Here’s the note he sent me yesterday:

Regardless of whether Houston’s is directly embroidered, it’s a cheaper, crappier chain-stitch. St. Louis’s is the old-fashioned circular (or “swirl”) chain-stitch — i.e., gorgeous. The story is that up until recently, the Cardinals’ uniforms were done by a few older women who’d been chain-stitching commercially forever. The last one retired a few years ago.

Houston’s chain-stitch is a modern, non-circular variety — clunky and mass-produced. That’s why, even though it’s directly embroidered, it feels like a patch rather than direct embroidery.

Here are two pix showing the difference ‘tween old swirl chain-stitch and modern machine chain-stitch. This one is an old Mitchell & Ness Curt Flood jersey (done by one of the old ladies); this one is a Stall & Dean Portland Beavers jacket (made offshore).

Wow, great info. I know you’re all eager to rush off to your sewing machines and knitting bees, so I’ll stop here and let you get on with it.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Footwear fanatics may be interested to learn that Jeremy Brahm has tracked down the company that makes Tsuyoshi Shinjo’s cleats. Looks like they do some pretty rad stuff. “It is an eight-person company in the rural Nara prefecture,” Jeremy reports, “which is kind of surprising, because normally the star players are wearing Mizuno, Asics, SSK, Nike, etc. This one was for Tyrone Woods of the Chunichi Dragons. I guess his goal was to hit 50 home runs, but he finished with 47.” … Jeremy also notes that the Nippon Ham Fighters’ Hichori Morimoto, who as you may recall dressed up like a Martian during the Japanese All-Star Game, celebrated Nippon’s Japan Series victory by donning a speed skating outfit. … Cricket report from Peter Bonnett, who was watching Wednesday’s New Zealand/Pakistan match and noted that the “7” on James Franklin’s uni number looked like this — a much wider, fatter 7 than the skinnier version worn by several of his teammates. … Excellent tip from Matt Brukman, who reports: “The main library here at NC State has a photo exhibition of the baseball team over the years, going back to 1899. All manner of unis are evident — most notably changes to the school’s name and sock/stirrup design.” Great stuff. … Look for an article about Uni Watch in this Sunday’s Newsday (big thanks to Uni Watch publicist Carrie Klein for helping to make this possible). … In case you missed it in yesterday’s Comments section: Sporting News columnist Dave Kindred goes a bit overboard about Anthony Reyes ironing his cap brim (and also takes a totally uncalled-for potshot at Reyes’s socks) here. … Also from yesterday’s Comments: small uni tweaks upcoming for Duke (with thanks to Richard Grossman), and a quick back-and-forth on Cal’s yellow football unis can be found toward the end of this interview (good catch by Comments section stalwart Minna H.). … Now that Guillaume Latendresse has become the first NHL player ever to wear uni No. 84 (which was the last sub-100 number to have been worn), SI.com’s Brian Cazeneuve has put together a fun article picking the greatest player to wear each number (with thanks to Brian Goff). … What’s the point of wearing knee pads if they don’t even cover your knees? … According to a thread on the Chris Creamer boards, the NBA Live 07 video game indicates that this season’s NBA All-Star Game unis will look like this, this, and this — ugh. … Yesterday’s New York Times featured an amazing locker room photo of the 1968 Cardinals, and it’s hard to know what to focus on — the uniforms or the other clothes. Note that the roster included Elvis Costello, shown second from back right. … Good analysis from Al Saunders, who writes: “In the picture that opens the article about the Staal family in the new Sports Illustrated, none of the three brothers wearing NHL jerseys have the right socks on. Jordan’s [second from right] should have gold/white/black/gold stripes instead of red/white/red, Eric’s [second from left] should have black/white/black stripes instead of being plain, and Marc’s [far left] should have white/red/white instead of white/silver/black. I’d be willing to bet that Marc’s socks are the road version of the Sudbury Wolves socks that his brother Jared [far right] is wearing, as Marc also plays for that team.” (Credit an assist to Greg Capece, who picked up on the same thing.) … Next time Bill O’Reilly or Rush Limbaugh claims there’s a “war against religious expression” in America, kindly direct their attention to John Rodriguez’s batting glove. … Footwear guru Mark Mihalik broke out the slide rule last night and computed that Albert Pujols has worn at least seven different sets of cleats this season.

165 comments to Chain Letter

• Robert | October 27, 2006 at 9:07 am |

My wife is really into that stitching, artsy stuff. Perhaps I should have her make me a Reds jersey using that technique, just for kicks. Nah, she would just insult me and the Reds by telling me/us that we are not deserving of her talents.

• Anthony | October 27, 2006 at 9:10 am |

NBA Live 07 is not the only basketball game out on the market (but it’s probably the worst…good old EA!)

NBA 2K7 and NBA 07 (No “Live”) are also on the market, and they might have different NBA All Star game designs. It’s probably unlikely, but I am getting one of these games soon (2K7). I’ll post pictures when it arrives.

• Joe Hilseberg | October 27, 2006 at 9:11 am |

I guess we know where the non-uniwatch world feels baseball jerseys fall on the garment totem pole!

• Chris Hilf | October 27, 2006 at 9:12 am |

Just on ESPN’s Home page, two awful unis.

First, there’s the New Orleans NBA unis. Wow. That physically HURTS me.

PLEASE KILL ME!

• BCrisp | October 27, 2006 at 9:13 am |

Texas A&M also has a historic images collection from its library. There’s some great athletics photos. Also some of the school traditions and buildings. Great for uniform, architecture, and history buffs.
    Cushing Memorial Library
    Check out these socks

• Natron | October 27, 2006 at 9:13 am |

Why does everybody have to give Shinjo’s shoe manufactureer a hard time? I’been a big fan of theirs for years.

• BCrisp | October 27, 2006 at 9:19 am |

• Plasters | October 27, 2006 at 9:21 am |

• Anthony | October 27, 2006 at 9:21 am |

Also, the basketball video games usually have been the source for seeing new alternate/third jerseys that NBA teams will use before they are announced. I think the Celtics uniform with the black trim and the Cavaliers’ Navy Blue were first seen in the video games before promotional photo shoots were taken.

Maybe get this person to scroll through the menus to find some.

Sometimes the games also require one to use cheat codes to unlock newer jerseys that will be used during the season (The Seattle Sonics’ Yellow and the Golden State Orange are good examples from two years ago; the only way to get those were via cheat codes.) As such, apparently the NBA Live 07 game on the Xbox and Xbox 360 have similar codes for unlocking jerseys. Maybe these are some new designs. I don’t have this game, so I can’t help you in terms of photos.

• matt in the nati | October 27, 2006 at 9:25 am |

[quote comment="16966"]WOW, I just realized the similarity between the sock link I provided and the one in Paul’s blog today. Eerily similar unis.[/quote]

see templates go way back…

(the preceeding statement is in no way a defense of N*KE)

• Andrew F | October 27, 2006 at 9:25 am |

[quote comment="16967"]Why does everyone say that Reyes’ style of a flat brim won’t catch on? Most of the younger players coming up arch their bill less and less. Many of them don’t even actually wear it straight anymore. The Sporting News guys article is a joke. The 5950s do come with a flat bill out of the box. I have 4 of them. All the bills are flat. Also you can never ever knock Anthony Reyes’ socks.[/quote]

Note that the 5950 will no longer be worn in MLB, so we’ll see what it looks like for next year and on…

• scott | October 27, 2006 at 9:29 am |

I’d like the temp tattoo more if it had vertically-arched lettering. Good work!

• Paul Lukas | October 27, 2006 at 9:30 am |

[quote comment="16962"]So I was reading up on chain stiching on wikipedia and I was directed to lockstitching, which I have never heard of, and I was surprised to see this line about chain stitching….

“The term single needle stitching, often found on dress shirt labels, refers to lockstitch, as opposed to chain stitch which unravels easily and is usually used on lower quality garments.”[/quote]

I think that refers more to garment construction, not to embroidery.

• Paul Lukas | October 27, 2006 at 9:31 am |

[quote comment="16964"]Check out these socks[/quote]

Forget the socks (yes, I really said that) — check out those neckties!

• matt in the nati | October 27, 2006 at 9:33 am |

[quote comment="16974"][quote comment="16964"]Check out these socks[/quote]

Forget the socks (yes, I really said that) — check out those neckties![/quote]

thoose would really get in the way when swinging no??

• Daniel | October 27, 2006 at 9:39 am |

• Dan from PC | October 27, 2006 at 9:43 am |

• Jill | October 27, 2006 at 9:48 am |

Helmet Story

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | October 27, 2006 at 9:51 am |

• Anonymous | October 27, 2006 at 9:52 am |

It is true. Those are the jerseys from this years NBA All-Star Game. I had a chance to go to Reebok headquarters this fall to select everything for my college’s baseball team (as we just got a full sponsorship by Reebok) and they have their conference rooms setup showing the new Adidas style basketball jerseys and the warmups from this year’s All-Star Game.

• Rene | October 27, 2006 at 9:54 am |

• Natron | October 27, 2006 at 9:54 am |

It does have vertical arched lettering – just not the logo.

• WVU Tom | October 27, 2006 at 10:08 am |

I’m not sure why everyone is so down on Detroit’s road unis. As a kid, I always found it fascinating that the Tigers used different color schemes on their away unis, when most teams tend to use more color on their home uniforms. At the time they were also the only team to use 2 different hats (none of my friends understood why I though this was cool).

I think the road unis are great, and as some have mentioned, orange has been a color of the team for years–so it’s not like a Mets “ditch the black” thing. Don’t get me wrong, Detroits home whites are classic, but call me a traitor, I have always like the road greys a little better.

P.S. Clemson’s white on white with knee high white socks last night were almost worst than the purple monstrosities.

• Kim | October 27, 2006 at 10:11 am |

OK, I’ve tried to tackle the Staal’s and their socks.

Marc’s socks are not the Sudbury Wolves’ dark socks as shown here (notics the RBK logo creep at the knees).

• Jonathan | October 27, 2006 at 10:12 am |

[quote comment="16983"][quote comment="16971"]I’d like the temp tattoo more if it had vertically-arched lettering. Good work![/quote]

It does have vertical arched lettering – just not the logo.

Although I think the design of the tattoo itself might be better suited for one of those bumper stickers or on a dark green ballcap. I know my kids dig the temporary tattoos, but I don’t believe they read the blog.[/quote]

How about embroidered (chain-stitched?) onto a white polo shirt???

• Richard | October 27, 2006 at 10:12 am |

[quote comment="16976"]So if I read right, then Duke’s alternates will have those bad shoulder stripes, like on the Kansas State unis… ugh.[/quote]

just note that those are only on 3 of the 6 jerseys they’ll wear this year. the others, and hopefully the ones they’ll continue to wear most often, will be the regular jerseys they wore last season, with no stripe

• Kim | October 27, 2006 at 10:50 am |

I thought it was nice that the LA Lakers played UCLA last night. (or at least that’s what it looked like)

Reminded me of baseball spring training when ASU would play one of the MLB teams……

• tedkerwin | October 27, 2006 at 10:53 am |

• MetsFan AZ | October 27, 2006 at 10:59 am |

Trying to learn something today. In the GQ article this month about D. Wade and the one about sports icons/legends they accent the pages with some embroidery and even use it for the title of the Wade article. Is that swirl or *crappy* chain stitching?

• Kim | October 27, 2006 at 11:02 am |

[quote comment="16990"]Regarding the Virginia Tech uniforms, this is the first game I watched with them this year, is it just me or are thier socks a different shade of orange then the uniform? It seems to be a brighter redder orange then the trim in the uniform. Is it possible the Jersey color has faded as the year as gone on but the socks have retained the original brighter orange color?[/quote]

I think it’s more likely the case that they’re using the same jerseys all year long and then bring in new socks every couple of games.

• Peter Wunsch | October 27, 2006 at 11:04 am |

Lionel Hitchman (#3) over Harry Howell?

• Josh | October 27, 2006 at 11:07 am |

Does that sneaker say “T. Wood’s [sic]“?

• Smail | October 27, 2006 at 11:08 am |

Helmet Story[/quote]

• Thomas | October 27, 2006 at 11:29 am |

[quote comment="16996"][quote comment="16979"]An article about merit helmet decals in the Indianapolis Star today. No registration needed but you might need to put in your zip code.

Helmet Story[/quote]

Reading that article made me question my sanity. It says Michigan doesn’t use helmet stickers, but I would have sworn up and down that they’re awarded little, yellow, oval Wolverine stickers that are placed in the blue on the back of their helmets. Is this something that’s been recently discontinued, or am I completely nuts?[/quote]

You’re not crazy

• Thomas | October 27, 2006 at 11:32 am |

Desmond howard is sporting said merrit decals on the cover of NCAA Football 06.

• Joe Hilseberg | October 27, 2006 at 11:32 am |

• Broker75 | October 27, 2006 at 11:35 am |

Can’t believe the Buffalo Sabres are 10-0. They’ve sold out the HBC Centre already for the rest of the season, RIP Buffalo Bills..
    The Cardinals look ready, it’s just a matter of 27 more outs.

• Michael | October 27, 2006 at 11:37 am |
  • Willy Billy | October 27, 2006 at 11:38 am |

• Mark Fimoff | October 27, 2006 at 11:44 am |

If you like striped socks, check out the Cubs 1908:

They only wore them occasionally in ’08, then they were dropped. Of course they haven’t won a World Series since then. Serves them right.

• Lou | October 27, 2006 at 11:45 am |

[quote comment="16985"]Well, no one has really brought it up today, but it has been a major part of this discussion panel recently, so I wanted to give my 2 cents:

[/quote]

I like their road grays as well. I just don’t like the unneccessary white trim. Blue on Orange looks good. Blue on orange on white is just ?????

I also love the road hat.

• Burrill | October 27, 2006 at 11:48 am |

Michigan used to award merit stickers, but to the best of my knowledge they have not done so for a while. At least, I don’t remember seeing any for a while.

• Kelli | October 27, 2006 at 11:54 am |

[quote comment="16982"]how about VT busting out the all maroons for the first time in 3 years…why is it that this usually works…busting out unis from the past and getting a big “W” (i.e. miami last year with the all whites vs. VT for the first time in 2 years) well, except for notre dame and those SWEET green jerseys they’re like 3-9 in their last 12 wearing them[/quote]

Va Tech, or any other team for that matter, can play naked for all I care as long as they are beating Clemson.

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | October 27, 2006 at 11:57 am |

Helmet Story[/quote]

i know desmond howard wore them in 91…
    amani toomer in 95…
    looks like it ended in 95 or 96…
    this is from the 97 game against OSU

• joe | October 27, 2006 at 12:04 pm |

Va Tech / Clemson

Above is a good example of two teams taking the monochromatic uniform idea to an extreme.

Clemson looks like they are dressed as hospital orderlies.

• MetsFan AZ | October 27, 2006 at 12:05 pm |

[quote comment="17005"]Bochy to the Giants…San Fran better place an order for size 8 1/8 size caps pronto!!![/quote]
    ummm, have you seen the size of Bonds’ *natural* melon? i think they have plenty of *naturally* big caps in SF.

• todder85 | October 27, 2006 at 12:10 pm |

[quote comment="16986"]OK, I’ve tried to tackle the Staal’s and their socks.

But they do have a 35th Anniversary Black (yeah, I know, how original) but I can’t find a picture.[/quote]

i havn’t heared about the wolves’ new jerseys yet. (mind ya i havn’t been watching much ohl singe the centennials moved to Saginaw) but i think it would be better for their 35th if they brought back the old gren and gold uniforms as seen here on this card

• todder85 | October 27, 2006 at 12:11 pm |

forgot the link to the wolves jersey

• barney | October 27, 2006 at 12:12 pm |

• Alex | October 27, 2006 at 12:16 pm |

dear Dave Kindred-

you sir, are a moron.

as for the flat bill fad…look for more and more kids comin’ out of southern california to be sporting the look….check out SC’s 2006 roster photos as evidence

• Marc M. | October 27, 2006 at 12:19 pm |

[quote comment="17019"]http://www.usatoday....
    USA Today article on NBA crackdown on how uniforms are to be worn. Wish Bud Selig had the (basket)balls that David Stern has to “make uniforms more uniform”.[/quote]

Great article!

• Timmy D | October 27, 2006 at 12:23 pm |

• Tape | October 27, 2006 at 12:24 pm |

[quote comment="16982"]works…busting out unis from the past and getting a big “W” (i.e. miami last year with the all whites vs. VT for the first time in 2 years)[/quote]

so… they had a 1 game losing streak?

• Lawrence Kuhnast | October 27, 2006 at 12:34 pm |

[quote comment="16993"]The link to the greatest players by # for NHL payers is excellent. And only one objection:

Lionel Hitchman (#3) over Harry Howell?[/quote]

Gordie Howe should be the greatest to wear 17 AND 9. He wore 17 early in his career but switched to 9 because lower numbers got lower bunks in the sleeper trains.

• Nick J | October 27, 2006 at 12:38 pm |

Does anyone have a link to a photo with the jersey’s Lynch is talking about:
    What I really want is to wear those Joe Roth (era, circa 1975) jerseys — the royal blue with the bear stickers on the helmet.

• Tape | October 27, 2006 at 12:40 pm |

[quote comment="16985"]
    I’m not sure why everyone is so down on Detroit’s road unis.

I think the road unis are great, and as some have mentioned, orange has been a color of the team for years.[/quote]

Personally, I think they’re just fine. The script typeface on their roads goes back to 1930, and the current navy/orange outline edition was first used in 1952. the first appearance of anything orange was in 1927 (and really, isn’t orange kind of fitting since the nickname of the team is the Tigers? hm?).

• matt in the nati | October 27, 2006 at 12:42 pm |

they probably already have them for bonds

• Evan | October 27, 2006 at 12:44 pm |

I don’t know when they took that picture of the Staal brothers. Eric still has his Stanley Cup patch on his jersey, and Jordan is #11, and that jersey has a zero on it, which makes me assume that it was his draft day jersey. Must have been taken right after the draft, or at the very least, sometime before the start of the preseason. Jordan wore 57 during the preseason.

• Chad | October 27, 2006 at 12:47 pm |

[quote comment="17014"]Va Tech / Clemson

Clemson looks like they are dressed as hospital orderlies.[/quote]

I’m gonna actually have to give VT the upper hand in Uni choice from last night. Something was just off about those Clemson uni’s. First I thought is was the lack of pant and shoulder stripes, but then I thought of the Penn State away uniforms and they still look good, even with the white helmet. Its gotta be the white socks pulled all the way up to the pants along with the white shoes. It’s amazing how much this detracts from the quality of the uniform.

• Broker75 | October 27, 2006 at 12:49 pm |

[quote comment="17028"][quote comment="16985"]
    I’m not sure why everyone is so down on Detroit’s road unis.

I’m not sure what people would be complaining about. the Tigers sure do look a lot better than these douchebags.[/quote]
    I agree, the Blue Jays need help.

• Kenny | October 27, 2006 at 12:53 pm |

I’m sorry…I tried to resist, but ANY talk of Duke gives me a reason to post these 2 pics! Go Terps![/quote]

I’m more of a fan of this

• joe | October 27, 2006 at 1:01 pm |

[quote comment="17033"]
    I agree, the Blue Jays need help.[/quote]

Thats the Jays? I really hadn’t noticed how bad their uniforms had become. They don’t even have a maple-leaf in the logo anymore, I guess they are ashamed to be Canadian.

• Mark in Shiga | October 27, 2006 at 1:05 pm |

[quote comment="17036"][quote comment="17033"]
    I agree, the Blue Jays need help.[/quote]

I fondly remember these, and I’m not even a Jays fan. Perhaps they need to start calling themselves the B-Jays, and putting a capital BJ on their jerseys. That would be a riot.[/quote]

Joe, any reason why that picture is inverted?

• joe | October 27, 2006 at 1:20 pm |

[quote comment="17038"]
    Joe, any reason why that picture is inverted?
    [/quote]

No clue, I just snagged that pic off the web. To be honest, I didn’t even notice it. Good eye.

• a arauz | October 27, 2006 at 1:23 pm |

[quote comment="16986"]OK, I’ve tried to tackle the Staal’s and their socks.

• a arauz | October 27, 2006 at 1:32 pm |

You go, Boy!!!
    Share them if you gots more of that Duke MISERY!
    Luv it Luv it Luv it

• Shane | October 27, 2006 at 1:34 pm |

• Jonathon | October 27, 2006 at 1:36 pm |

[quote comment="17014"]Va Tech / Clemson

Clemson looks like they are dressed as hospital orderlies.[/quote]

I think the white/white/white/white has been accurately described as the “fencing team” look.

• tommy | October 27, 2006 at 1:38 pm |

Kim, any idea if Nick Foligno (as pictured)is the offspring of Mike foligno, formerly of the Buffaslugs? Interesting inter-generational thing there.[/quote]
    Nick sure is Mike’s son…

• a arauz | October 27, 2006 at 1:43 pm |

Nick sure is Mike’s son…[/quote]
    as if I needed another reminder that I’m an oldfart!
    Thanks for the info.

• Jonathon | October 27, 2006 at 2:05 pm |

Anyone else see a similarity b/w Nippon’s hat logo and Cal State Fullerton’s?

Nippon (look at guy with flapless helmet):

Fullerton:

• Jonathon | October 27, 2006 at 2:08 pm |

Check out the sweet old-school kicks on the Zen Master. Those may be from his playing days (kidding).

• Kenny | October 27, 2006 at 2:11 pm |

You go, Boy!!!
    Share them if you gots more of that Duke MISERY!
    Luv it Luv it Luv it[/quote]

You mean like this crying

• Richard | October 27, 2006 at 2:16 pm |

You go, Boy!!!
    Share them if you gots more of that Duke MISERY!
    Luv it Luv it Luv it[/quote]

You mean like this crying[/quote]

evidently you people don’t remember this game GO DUKE

[quote comment="17046"]No mention of last night’s bad call-o-rama between the Bruins and the Habs, both wearing their third sweaters?[/quote]

• Burrill | October 27, 2006 at 2:21 pm |

• Chris Hilf | October 27, 2006 at 2:30 pm |

This isn’t a uniform but deserves mention in this forum.

• Vegas4BOC | October 27, 2006 at 2:30 pm |

Immediately when they zoomed in on Rodriquez’s batting glove, I knew that would make the Uniwatch blog…..can’t watch sports quite the same anymore !
    GO CARDS !!

• Kenny | October 27, 2006 at 2:32 pm |

[quote comment="17056"][quote comment="17052"][quote comment="17044"][quote comment="17002"][quote comment="16977"]Anyone have a picture of the Duke B-ball unis from 94-95 referenced in the article?[/quote]

You go, Boy!!!
    Share them if you gots more of that Duke MISERY!
    Luv it Luv it Luv it[/quote]

You mean like this crying[/quote]

evidently you people don’t remember this game GO DUKE

Plus, in my opinion, Duke is THE biggest offender of adopting black

Black jersey
    Black shorts
    Shooting shirt
    Is that NC blue with the black trim?!!?

As much as I hate Duke, they would look a hell of a lot better with these or these and surprise, surprise, I can’t find any pictures of black free uni tops!!

• Kim | October 27, 2006 at 2:34 pm |

[quote comment="17049"][quote comment="17048"][quote comment="17043"][quote comment="16986"]OK, I’ve tried to tackle the Staal’s and their socks.

Nick sure is Mike’s son…[/quote]
    as if I needed another reminder that I’m an oldfart!
    Thanks for the info.[/quote]

I just randomly pulled him from the Wolves’ website, but I was wondering the same thing. And it shows my age, as well.

I find the generational lines in hockey to be very interesting.

• Teebz | October 27, 2006 at 2:35 pm |

[quote comment="17003"]I think the new slim fit NHL jersey’s look alright. The fact that they repel water is brilliant. For anyone who’s actually played hockey would know that by the end of the game your jersey is drenched.
    The Cardinals look ready, it’s just a matter of 27 more outs.[/quote]

I don’t know what kind of jersey you’re using, but the CCM Cool-Flow jerseys did a much better job of repelling water than the previous thick polyester jerseys. Rarely have I come off the ice feeling like my jersey weighed me down. The Slim-Fit is the worst thing to hit the NHL ever.

Yes, worse than Gary Bettman.

• Vegas4BOC | October 27, 2006 at 2:40 pm |

It’s probably been covered here before, but what type of magnetic therapy necklace is Zumaya and a couple others wearing? It doesn’t look like the standard Tourmaline Titanium types I’ve seen other players wearing. Thanks.

• bluenoser | October 27, 2006 at 2:45 pm |

The Cardinals look ready, it’s just a matter of 27 more outs.[/quote]

Come on, the new tutus are a slap in the face to any self respecting hockey player. They are horrible and just another example of Gary Bettman’s lunacy. Yes it is true that your jersey is wet by the end of a game but big f#@%ing deal so is everyone elses. In all my years of playing hockey not one time did I think or say “Jeez I think I could have beat that guy to the outside if only my jersey didn’t weigh me down or get caught up in the wind.” Ridiculous!! The notion that the game will improve based on dryer and more aerodynamic players is just a smoke screen by the league to try and sell more merch. to the kids today at the expense of alienating the longstanding fan and destroying another tradition of the game, the hockey “sweater”. Paul plaese start a ‘Ditch Gary Bettman’ campaign.

• Chad | October 27, 2006 at 2:45 pm |

You go, Boy!!!
    Share them if you gots more of that Duke MISERY!
    Luv it Luv it Luv it[/quote]

You mean like this crying[/quote]

evidently you people don’t remember this game GO DUKE

This is one thing I HATE! about basketball. It takes SEVEN minutes to play the last minute.
    This seems to happen even if a team is getting blown out. Fouling and calling useless timouts won’t score you 20 points.

• bluenoser | October 27, 2006 at 2:47 pm |

LOL..You beat me to it Teebz!!

• WVU Tom | October 27, 2006 at 2:48 pm |

[quote comment="17038"][quote comment="17036"][quote comment="17033"]
    I agree, the Blue Jays need help.[/quote]

Joe, any reason why that picture is inverted?

I love that generation of Blue Jays uniforms. The light blue road outfits looked fantastic.[/quote]

• Matt | October 27, 2006 at 3:04 pm |

[quote comment="17068"][quote comment="17038"][quote comment="17036"][quote comment="17033"]
    I agree, the Blue Jays need help.[/quote]

Joe, any reason why that picture is inverted?

OK for the unis, but I hated the two-tone hats with the white front panels. The O’s used them too (and I’m sure I could name others if I though for a second). When I watch old games I find them very distracting.[/quote]

Montreal used to wear a 3-tone hat… Minnesota also wore the 2-tone hat…

• Robert | October 27, 2006 at 3:07 pm |

Regarding bad Tigers road uniforms: Their current look is their least offensive in many years, but it is still average at best.

In years past, we had that awkwardly drawn tiger-walking-through-the-D logo hat, the ugly thick 1980s/90s Mets-like side stripes running the sides,the overuse of bright orange, and the too large “Detroit” on the front. It’s just too much.

• Teebz | October 27, 2006 at 3:10 pm |

[quote comment="17067"]LOL..You beat me to it Teebz!![/quote]

NHL jersey references are my turf. ;o)

I have to admit, your entry did make the point succinctly, though. :o)

• Jonathon | October 27, 2006 at 3:15 pm |

braves in the 70s (white panel)
    brewers in the 70s/80s (yellow panel and white panel)
    white sox in 80s (white panel)
    padres in 70s/80s (yellow panel)
    blue jays in 70s/80s/ (white panel)

• Jeff | October 27, 2006 at 3:28 pm |

how is it a bad call when both teams looked good in their 3rd jerseys? the throwback look was great[/quote]I believe it was a reference to the horrible refereeing, not the unis, which looked GREAT

Paul, what’s your take on the vintage alternate for some Original 6 teams

• Minna H | October 27, 2006 at 3:34 pm |

Burrill, you’re killing me here! I kid because I love. I think that hats should stick to team colors, period. That being said, I would wear a black-and-red hat over a pink one any day, and not because black and red are my favorite colors.

Teebz, good to see ya in the light of the day.

I like tats (I have four myself), and I am going to buy the temporaries for my niece and nephews. Might as well get them young!

Shane, if you want to read more about the Bruins and Habs throwbacks (which I think are excellent), read yesterday’s comment section.

Finally, a mention from the esteemable Paul Lukas—hot damn!

• Richard | October 27, 2006 at 3:39 pm |

Teebz, good to see ya in the light of the day.

Finally, a mention from the esteemable Paul Lukas—hot damn![/quote]

is it wrong of me to not be thinking of the hat color but rather that someone actually walked in to an office WITH THEIR HAT ON?
    call me crazy…

• Teebz | October 27, 2006 at 3:44 pm |

[quote comment="17078"]
    Teebz, good to see ya in the light of the day.
    [/quote]

Get Lukas to Minny, and it could be a live performance. :o)

I’ll be back in full force on Monday. I go back to my day job.

• Natron | October 27, 2006 at 3:51 pm |

[quote comment="17079"][quote comment="17078"][quote comment="17057"]A man walked into my office today wearing a black and red Tigers hat. Black and red? Does that really show Tiger pride? The pink merchandise at least some (vastly erroneous) reasoning behind it. But a black and red Tigers hat?[/quote]

Teebz, good to see ya in the light of the day.

Finally, a mention from the esteemable Paul Lukas—hot damn![/quote]

call me crazy…[/quote]

• Taylor | October 27, 2006 at 3:51 pm |

• Minna H | October 27, 2006 at 3:53 pm |

[quote comment="17079"]

call me crazy…[/quote]

You’re crazy, Richard. Had to be said. I guess it depends on the office. I mean, if Burrill is a computer programmer, a behind-the-scenes kind of guy, then no big deal. If he works in corporate America, however, then, yeah, a cap might be out of place.

Then again, if Burrill lives in MN, a baseball cap seems to be ubiquitous wear for the guys. They think getting dressed up means turning the brim forward.

• Kenny | October 27, 2006 at 3:53 pm |

• Minna H | October 27, 2006 at 3:56 pm |

[quote comment="17082"]

Proud to say I’m sitting in my office, avoiding work, wearing the world’s ugliest trucker hat.[/quote]

• WVU Tom | October 27, 2006 at 3:57 pm |

[quote comment="17074"]braves in the 70s (white panel)
    brewers in the 70s/80s (yellow panel and white panel)
    white sox in 80s (white panel)
    padres in 70s/80s (yellow panel)
    blue jays in 70s/80s/ (white panel)[/quote]

…Like I said, I knew there were others, being a Baltimore native, the O’s were the first to come to mind. I wouldn’t mind seeing some of the old logos that these teams used to sport on these hats, just without the off-color front panels.

• Natron | October 27, 2006 at 3:59 pm |

[quote comment="17086"][quote comment="17082"]

And Natron proves my point about MN guys! I’m assuming from this and other things you’ve said that you are from MN.[/quote]

• WVU Tom | October 27, 2006 at 3:59 pm |

Plus didn’t they just set a record for most wins without a loss to start the season?[/quote]

• Minna H | October 27, 2006 at 4:00 pm |

[quote comment="17080"][quote comment="17078"]
    Teebz, good to see ya in the light of the day.
    [/quote]

Get Lukas to Minny, and it could be a live performance. :o)

I’ll be back in full force on Monday. I go back to my day job.[/quote]

I’m trying, Teebz, but I’m fresh out of ideas. Maybe a night with the Vikes’ cheerleaders if they promise not to wear purple? Help me out, man.

Glad you’re joining the day world again, but I enjoyed your nighttime stealth posting as well. Ten posts in a row, all about hockey! Good times.

• Natron | October 27, 2006 at 4:00 pm |

[quote comment="17086"][quote comment="17082"]

Oh… and I am wearing it forward while at work. I’m not an animal for chrissake.

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | October 27, 2006 at 4:01 pm |

[quote comment="17036"][quote comment="17033"]
    I agree, the Blue Jays need help.[/quote]

what would really be a riot is if a toronto radio station did a promotion that caller #9 got free “b-jay tickets”, or if the owner was selling the team and headlines read, B-JAYS FOR SALE

• David | October 27, 2006 at 4:01 pm |

• Brian Smith | October 27, 2006 at 4:03 pm |

By the way, “Elvis Costello” in that photo is actually second baseman Julian Javier.

How weird does the Moonman look in that photo? Shannon looks like he’s posing for portraits at Sears.

I wish the Cardinals would bring that red piping on the pants back. And extend the “high socks only” rule to the big club as well as the minors.

• Minna H | October 27, 2006 at 4:04 pm |

[quote comment="17089"][quote comment="17086"][quote comment="17082"]

Correct. And I should qualify my picture by saying that my hat is even uglier than that because while front looks exactly the same, the mesh on my hat is actually green, not white… just couldn’t find a pic.[/quote]

At least you’re wearing a cap from our dearly departed North Stars. As I said to Teebz the other day, we may love the Wild!, but there is a special place in our hearts for the North Stars.

• WVU Tom | October 27, 2006 at 4:07 pm |

[quote comment="17095"]A little late to the party, but I saw this acclaim for Paul & Uni Watch in the Baltimore Sun yesterday.[/quote]

Spreading the word of uni-consciousness slowly but surely!

• Natron | October 27, 2006 at 4:12 pm |

You’re right, though. It is pretty ugly. Hope you’re not wearing a matching yellow jersey or pants.[/quote]

Nope… matching North Stars jersey. Again – I’m not an animal!

• Richard | October 27, 2006 at 4:18 pm |

[quote comment="17099"][quote comment="17097"][quote comment="17089"][quote comment="17086"][quote comment="17082"]

Nope… matching North Stars jersey. Again – I’m not an animal!

Speaking of… with all this talk about the new Reebok jerseys coming down the road and the possibility of them being tucked in, I started thinking back… Didn’t Dino Ciccarelli tuck in his jersey from time to time when he played here? I was looking for pics and couldn’t find any, but I swear he did and it used to drive me nuts![/quote]

sorry – corporate america makes me unable to wear jerseys and hats…but I agree with Minna that if you wear your hat forwards, it’s not animalistic. plus, you get some points for rockin’ it old school with your hometown north stars

• Joe Hilseberg | October 27, 2006 at 4:18 pm |

The Duke black trim actually looks pretty good on this shirt!

• nastykjn | October 27, 2006 at 4:20 pm |

So does anyone have insight into what the pin on LaRussa’s shirt was? I don’t remember it ever being covered here before.

• nastykjn | October 27, 2006 at 4:27 pm |

• Chad | October 27, 2006 at 4:35 pm |

[quote comment="17105"]Sorry, let me try that link again. If that doesn’t work look on Yahoo Sports’ Photos of Game 4. It’s below he StL on his undershirt.[/quote]

Is this the picture?

• Vincent | October 27, 2006 at 4:39 pm |

[quote comment="17090"][quote comment="17085"][quote comment="17083"]I know this may be sacreligious to say here, but the new Sabres jerseys really don’t suck in my opinion.[/quote]

A local DJ here (Wash., DC) this morning claimed that the winning streak must be due to the new jersey, man I hope not![/quote]
    Well, personnally i think he’s right.
    Buffalo are winning ’cause nobody want to touch those jerseys with a ten foot stick.
    hihihihi :D:D

• Minna H | October 27, 2006 at 4:40 pm |

I think this is the picture, but I have no idea what the pin is.

• nastykjn | October 27, 2006 at 4:42 pm |

Anybody got some holy water? I think that’s my only hope here:

LaRussa

• Paul Lukas | October 27, 2006 at 5:28 pm |

Actually, I hadn’t seen that one myself — thanks!

• Chuck Ryals | October 27, 2006 at 5:30 pm |

Helmet Story[/quote]

I think it would be cool for the Cleveland Browns to put brown dog paw (Ala Clemson) stickers on their helmets. It would look good on the orange helmets!

• Andy from KC | October 27, 2006 at 5:57 pm |

That occurred to me too–and I wondered if the 10-0 start made it any easier for Sabres fans to stomach the new Buffaslug/Barney Rubble Hair logo. Personally, if my team started off 10-0, they could show up wearing something like this or this for all I care.

• Taylor | October 27, 2006 at 6:56 pm |

[quote comment="17102"]The Duke black trim actually looks pretty good on this shirt![/quote]

HEHE!!! That’s a great shirt. Have you seen http://www.truthabou...

• Bobby D | October 27, 2006 at 8:47 pm |

What’s the point of wearing knee pads if they don’t even cover your knees?

Knee pads are for the “unskilled players”, they’re not going to help much if you get hit in the knees anyway and only slows speed guys down, which is why you see most receivers doing without them and just getting their pants cut high. I LOVE the look, don’t hate!

• Murphy | October 27, 2006 at 8:47 pm |

Lionel Hitchman (#3) over Harry Howell?[/quote]

You have a good argument but Hitchman was a big star for the early Bruins and has his number retired. My big problem was his total lack of even a mention of the great Eddie Shore for the #2. I mean, I liked Brad Park (and the others), but Shore was one of the greatest players of his era. I thought that was the greatest omission.

• Bobby D | October 27, 2006 at 8:50 pm |

Dang, Orlando Cepeda was a pimp, rocking the pink, LOL. And how about Curt Flood w/ the Mr. T chain, LOL! Used to love watching those guys play…

• Bobby D | October 27, 2006 at 9:08 pm |

[quote comment="17022"]Those all star jerseys are pretty crappy, but you gotta love the script on them. If they just got rid of that gobbledygook on the sides then we would not have to endure a game looking like this. If they also get rid of that stuff on the top of the backside then we could have one classy uniform. I am always disappointed in the design of the all-star uniforms for a long time even though I was totally stoked to get the Jordan uni from the 1996 game for my 12th bday. Jordan can make anything look awesome.[/quote]

No offense and that is a nice b/day gift but no one could make *that* jersey look good unless a hottie like Adriana Lima was wearing it and then who would be looking at the jersey, LOL?

Agree 100% about the Blue Jays uni’s, they flat out suck! Maybe they should changed their nickname to the Gray Jays or better yet the Ugly Jays…surely Canada has better designers than the one(s) who came up with that crap!!!

• Andy from KC | October 27, 2006 at 9:19 pm |

[quote comment="17127"] What’s the point of wearing knee pads if they don’t even cover your knees?[/quote]

Knee pads that don’t cover the knee … where else have I seen that? Oh yeah … here. WHOOOOOOOO!

• Boilermaker | October 27, 2006 at 9:50 pm |

Can I get a signed pair of one of Alberts extra cleats? Any connections out there. What size shoe does he where?

• Tako | October 27, 2006 at 9:51 pm |

Totally not uni-related, but they played “Oops I did it again” after Verlander’s error and it was awesome.

• Marc | October 27, 2006 at 9:57 pm |

You know something…. ive been reading this page everyday since inception…. and i just now realized, at 9:56 EST while watching Las Vegas on NBC that the thing hanging from the Uni Watch logo is a stirrup… !!

Im Sorry Paul… And Lets Go Mets ( still )

• Brinke Guthrie | October 27, 2006 at 10:20 pm |

Best sign in the stands tonight (by a Cards fan, of course.)

‘Hit it to the Pitcher’

• Jeff I | October 27, 2006 at 11:01 pm |

Wonder how Angel fans feel?

• Riley Anderson | October 27, 2006 at 11:16 pm |

Wonder how Angel fans feel?[/quote]

• Kyle O. | October 27, 2006 at 11:29 pm |

man those sure are ugly championship hats

• Mark | October 27, 2006 at 11:29 pm |

Those are some UGLY World Series hats for the Cardinals.

• Andy from KC | October 27, 2006 at 11:38 pm |

[quote comment="17147"]man those sure are ugly championship hats[/quote]

I was gonna say that. But “fugly” was the word I was going to use.

• brett | October 27, 2006 at 11:42 pm |

non uni related but i just watched bud selig give david eckstein the world series mvp and he misprounounced his name the first time he said it (said ecksteen) but the last time he said it he said it right (eckstine). i thought that was funny.

• Chris Doran | October 28, 2006 at 12:08 am |

Also not uni related, but two things struck me while I was watching the Cards celebrate:

The Stanley Cup is the only major North American sports trophy that gets presented directly to the players.

And The Stanley Cup is also the only major North American sports trophy that gets its own introduction into the arena. Every time I watch the last game of the Stanley Cup Championship I get goosebumps when I hear the PA say “Ladies and Gentlemen ….the Stanley Cup“.

• Jeff | October 28, 2006 at 12:09 am |

and for game seven had a blue one on hand in case a tiger one it. why yellow?

• Brian Erni | October 28, 2006 at 12:17 am |

• Mark Mihalik | October 28, 2006 at 12:48 am |

[quote comment="17146"][quote comment="17143"]So, i dont know where this fits in Uni-world…. but Jared Weaver is in the stands wearing a Cardinals hat AND a Cardinals headband.

Wonder how Angel fans feel?[/quote]

Just saw that. He’s wearing a Cards jacket too. I am a diehard Angels fan. It bugged me for a second but when I think about it it is actually pretty cool that he is supporting his big brother like that. On the other hand, Arte Moreno’s (Angels’ owner) big thing is marketing the Angels’ brand (the reason that LA isn’t on anything yet) and might have something to say about it. It is still absolutely bizzare to see a pro ball player dressed in gear for a team that isn’t his. I’ve been trying to think of a precedent for it and I can’t really think of one. Did any of the Red Sox that left in the 04-05 offseason wear Sox jerseys when they went back to get their rings?[/quote]

Yes: Derek Lowe.

In other news, Yadi Molina’s “flappage” will likely be immortalized in St. Louis World Series lore in this photo: St. Louis Celebration

• Matt | October 28, 2006 at 12:52 am |

Odd that the Stanley Cup was brought up. During the celebrations there was a woman in the front row with a bright red hat and I swore it had a white shilouette of the Cup. No proof, but did anyone else notice that??

• Riley | October 28, 2006 at 12:53 am |

[quote comment="17154"]the only thing that softens the blow of the mets not being the world champs is that i don’t have to wear those ugly hats. new era, WAKE UP! when the mets win in ’07, i expect a quality design![/quote]

Those hats are truly brutal. I’ve come to have pretty low standards for championship hats but I thought those ALCS/NLCS hats were kind of nice so I had a little hope for the World Series hats. Man, are those ugly.

• Mark Mihalik | October 28, 2006 at 1:00 am |

Pujols was wearing his World Baseball Classic polka-dot sleeve shirt tonight during the celebration (and presumably during the game as well)…

• caknuck | October 28, 2006 at 1:35 am |

Notice how Curt Flood (Mr. T chain and all) looks absolutely miserable? This was a year before he challenged the Reserve Clause, but all accounts say that he was pretty unhappy with the Cards those last few years.

• Mark Mihalik | October 28, 2006 at 2:07 am |

• Matt | October 28, 2006 at 2:18 am |

On SportsCenter they’re replaying clips from the postgame celebration. So Taguchi has his arms chock full of batting gloves which he is throwing to the fans as the team circles the field. So is my homeboy, but is something lost in translation?

• Nolan | October 28, 2006 at 2:29 am |

and for game seven had a blue one on hand in case a tiger one it. why yellow?[/quote]

• Nolan | October 28, 2006 at 2:31 am |

[quote comment="17167"][quote comment="17153"]one would think they would give the world series mvp (being as it was pretty sure if it was won tonight it would be a cardnal) a red corvette instead of a yellow one.

Can’t find current proof, but yellow might be chevy’s (American) official race color. Like Ferrari(Italy) is red and MG (Britain) cars are British racing green etc.[/quote]

I think this seals it yellow =offical race color.

• Teebz | October 28, 2006 at 3:30 am |

I am pondering over omissions on the SI article. I know there are many NHL greats they have overlooked because of their short-sightedness (sorry, SI, but it’s true). I’ll scan the list and see if I can find glaring omissions and oversights. Grant Fuhr? Yeah, he was good, but he certainly not the best player to wear #31 in the history of the NHL.

• Anthony the Rutgers Fan | October 28, 2006 at 7:25 am |

• Chris Hilf | October 28, 2006 at 9:18 am |

Noticed one the game last night :

Jim Edmonds with the windbreaker again

Rodney had a TON of writing under his brim

• Ed Ra | October 28, 2006 at 11:49 am |

Weaver’s entire shirt is by majestic. There is nothing Nike about it. That shirt design is the next generation of the classic 3/4 sleeve undershirt. (Remember the ones that were white in the torso area and had colored sleeves.)[/quote]

There is a “swoosh” clearly visible!

• Jeff | October 28, 2006 at 12:01 pm |

There is a “swoosh” clearly visible![/quote]

• Jean | October 28, 2006 at 12:12 pm |

Wheres the Saturday open thread???

• Andy from KC | October 28, 2006 at 12:13 pm |

There is a “swoosh” clearly visible![/quote]

thats kinda wierd, the nike logo is clearly visible on what looks like the same garment as the majestic logo[/quote]

You can also see that stupid white Nike seam near Weaver’s left shoulder. It stops at the collar of the Majestic shirt (has the collar been cut away or something? it looks way too big). And of course the swoosh is there too.

• Nolan | October 28, 2006 at 12:14 pm |

There is a “swoosh” clearly visible![/quote]

• Al A | October 28, 2006 at 12:52 pm |

Brady Quinn in that foto isn’t really wearing knee pads, well, they are but actually are protecting the lower thighs which, with regular thigh pads and “normal” knee pads are not going to be protected. The bone there is more exposed than in the high thigh area.[/quote]
    I beg to differ on your point, Bobby,…. i’ve got unearth a picture of a 1974 circa Dr. J swooping into the lane for the NY Nets. He’s sporting these hideous knee pads. If doesn’t debunk your theory, No ONE does.

• Brinke Guthrie | October 28, 2006 at 12:55 pm |

Saturday thread = MIA

Anyone know what # Bochy will wear for the SFG?

• Al A | October 28, 2006 at 1:01 pm |

Hey… shout out to all Birds’ fans. I had the Kittys in 5… hell, what do I know, I ‘m a Met fan! Congratulations, great run, enjoy it cause we’re coming for you in April !!

cheers.

• Jeff | October 28, 2006 at 1:07 pm |

[quote comment="17196"][quote comment="17193"][quote comment="17191"][quote comment="17178"][quote comment="17163"]Jeff Weaver may have eclipsed Jim Edmonds for the most ridiculous base-layer look… a neckless 80’s chick-style Majestic long-sleeve shirt over a Nike Dri-Fit? What in the world![/quote]

There is a “swoosh” clearly visible![/quote]

Gentlemen, it is clearly two shirts as posted originally, the majestic has the neck cut out and stretched to show the second base layer: the nike shirt.[/quote]

• Mark Mihalik | October 28, 2006 at 1:12 pm |

[quote comment="17200"]
    yea i see it, the nike is more of a maroon color (maybe thats just sweat soaked). his cutout of the majestic colar looks like a modern incarnation of that 80s style shirts girls used to wear[/quote]

• Kyle O. | October 28, 2006 at 1:16 pm |

No all gold uni’s for Mizzou. Earlier in the week it was thought that they might wear them. Instead they have gold pants and black tops

Go Irish

• Jeff | October 28, 2006 at 3:37 pm |

[quote comment="17201"][quote comment="17200"]

Haha… wow, that post really took off. But yes, “modern incarnation of that 80s style shirts girls used to wear” was what I meant when I said “neckless 80’s chick-style.”[/quote]

yea i didnt see that before i posted, just cought it now while scrolling down. i read something about fashion in the wall street journal the other day, some stupid article on wal-mart’s aims to become more popular, and it mentioned something about how the 80s style clothing is making its comebacks, particularly those style of shirts. so the question is, is weaver trying to help the cause of bringing that style back

• Michael Fruci | November 2, 2006 at 6:54 pm |

You mentioned the New York Times featuring the picture of the 1968 Cardinals. I can remember that exact picture on the cover of Sports Illustrated October 1968.

• Mike S. | November 3, 2006 at 8:39 pm |

I’m enjoying the talk about the Detroit Tigers “D” lemma, but what I would like to know is when they started putting names on the backs of the uniforms. 1968 photos show no names but when I started following the team in the late 70’s there were names on the unis. Any one know the exact year?????