Monday Morning Uni Watch

43db28c588654fd6ef4619e1a26ea860-getty-75558011jm037_buffalo_bills.jpg

Big uni-related story in the NFL yesterday was the range of Sean Taylor memorials. Here’s a quick rundown:

• The Redskins wore a “21” jersey patch. The Redskins’ coaching staff and owner wore it, too.

• In addition, Clinton Portis wore a Taylor tribute T-shirt under his jersey (here’s another view).

• John Eubanks wore a Taylor do-rag. At first I thought this was one of the towels that fans were given, but now I think it was actually the sleeve from a Taylor jersey.

• All teams wore a “21” helmet decal. This led to some pretty crowded rear-helmet groupings, especially for the Broncos (who already had their dual memorial for Darrent Williams and Damien Nash) and Browns (who added that “BW” decal this week in memory of Hall of Famer Bill Willis — not to be confused with the “BW” decal for Bill Walsh that the 49ers have been wearing all year).

• I was hoping we’d see some facemask stripes, like Taylor sometimes wore. Didn’t happen, but Antonio Pierce of the Giants did something similar: He taped Taylor’s uniform number onto his mask. This was the only personalized tribute to Taylor that I spotted. (Special thanks to Ryan Perkins for the screen grab.)

Meanwhile, in non-Taylor developments:

• Tommie Harris had “Psalms 91” (which also happens to be his uniform number) written on his Breathe Right strip.
• The Jets took the unusual step of wearing their Titans throwbacks on the road in Miami.

• Joseph Addai was showing some serious skin in the 2nd quarter.

• No photo yet, but I saw for myself that Dallas Clark’s American flag decal was still missing — a particularly egregious omission when you consider that the equipment staff had to add the Sean Taylor decal to his helmet, so you’d think they would’ve noticed the missing flag. Bryan, whose wife went to high school with Clark, is still working on getting the full story on this one.

• Also no photo, but several readers reported that Braylon Edwards was wearing white shoes and going bare-calved, NCAA-style, early in the Browns/Cards game. Then he added brown socks but still had white shoes. He eventually switched to black shoes like the rest of the Browns.

calendar_clip_art.jpg

Uni Watch Calendar Update: Several meet/greet opportunities coming up over the next week. Here’s the deal:

December 6th: Marc Spears of the Boston Globe and I will be fielding questions from students in a media seminar class this Thursday at Boston University. I’ll be convening a Uni Watch party at 8:30 that evening at Boston Beer Works, which is right across from Fenway Park. Meanwhile, if anyone wants to attend the seminar class, which begins at 6:30, the professor has graciously agreed to accommodate a few extra people. If you’re interested, get in touch and I’ll let you know where to go.

December 10th: The completely wonderful City Reliquary, of which I am a proud card-carrying member, will be holding its annual benefit gala at the Automotive High School Auditorium, and I’m one of the two featured speakers this year. I’ll be doing a Power Point presentation about Brooklyn Dodgers uniform history, but the real attraction is the other speaker: Lawrence Weschler, author of Mr. Wilson’s Cabinet of Wonder and Boggs. The evening will also feature a short documentary film, a live samba band, and — if you shell out a lot of extra $$$ — dinner at Bamonte’s, one of Brooklyn’s oldest and most storied red-sauce Italian restaurants. Full details here.

Sometime in January: I’m going to be one of four presenters at the inaugural edition of a new speaking series called “Adult Education,” which is being curated by my longtime pal Carrie McLaren (editrix of the excellent consumer-culture magazine Stay Free), who describes the series as “sort of grownup show-and-tell,” complete with visual aids. The theme of this first installment will be “Micro-Genres”: Carrie, who’s mildly obsessed with chimps, will be talking about people who’ve tried to raise chimps as part of the family; longtime Uni Watch pal Liz Clayton will talk about painfully obvious fast-food restaurant conversions (she has an entire site devoted to this phenomenon); Jim Hanas will talk about “meta tourism” (i.e., photos of tourists taking photos); and I’ll be talking about the strange world of trade magazines (Elevator World, Hay and Forage Grower, American Funeral Director, Demolition, and so on, each of which is as obsessively subject-specific as Uni Watch is). The exact date is still TBA, but it’s definitely going to be on a Tuesday in January, and the venue will be Union Hall, which is conveniently located around the corner from Uni Watch HQ. Further details on this one as they become available.

loomis.jpg

Membership News: I’m happy to announce that we’ve now gone over 500 enrollees. But I can’t announce who the 500th member is because that was a gift membership and the gift-giver has asked that I keep the order secret until Christmas.

Speaking of which, remember, this Wednesday is the deadline for ordering a discounted gift membership for the holidays.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Lots of pics here from the upcoming hoops movie Semi-Pro (with thanks to Mike Nachreiner). … Bizarre uniform sighting here (courtesy of Eric Trager). … Looking for new and creative ways to lace up your cleats or sneakers? Look here (with thanks to Mike Blinn). … Roman numeral alert: Charlie Coley III of Charlotte (with thanks to intern emeritus Vince Grzegorek). … “Once upon a time, Marquette had a football team,” writes proud Badger State booster Nicole Haase. “Here‘s a pretty cool collection of 1940s program covers.” … “Check out the difference in the helmet stripe thickness for the two players in green, who play for Mentor Lake Catholic High in Ohio,” writes Tim Snyder. “I figure it’s some kind of merit award, but they also use more conventional merit decals.” Anyone know more about this? … Paul Bridge reports that Utah Valley University, which will have D-1A status by 2009, has some new logos. Details here. … Very odd NOB typography being for Jonathan Zebina of Juventus (and, presumably for the rest of their players): The “Z” and the “E” look like a “2” and a backwards “3.” It’s apparently so fraught with confusion that the “E” ended up being applied backwards for Saturday’s game against AC Milan (all this courtesy of Jeremy Brahm). … Mizzou’s Stryker Sulak had some sleeve patch problems on Saturday (with thanks to James Wortham for the screen grab). … Nice little recap of Lakers uniform history here (as forwarded by Matthew Wolfram). … Ryan Perkins notes that R.W. McQuarters of the Giants had some helmet decal issues yesterday. … Several readers noted that Wabash wore some ill-advised pants in Saturday’s D-III quarterfinal game. … Georgia will wear black in the Sugar Bowl. … Speaking of black, Texas A&M’s hoops team wore their black alts yesterday. … “The Barbarians, an invitation-only rugby club that plays a handful of matches per year, took on the newly-crowned world champions South Africa,” writes Eric Bangeman. In addition to wearing classic black-and-white uniforms, the Barbarians ask each player to wear the socks from his home club, which makes for some interesting hosiery contrasts.”

225 comments to Monday Morning Uni Watch

• John | December 3, 2007 at 8:15 am |

• Robert | December 3, 2007 at 8:32 am |

I love the website dedicated to painfully obvious fast-food restaurant conversions. It is cool to see a site dedicated to something that we see and chuckle about all the time.

My favorite non-restaurant version of this phenomenon occurred in Dallas. A Hilton was purchased by someone and the name changed to Hiltop. Not Hilltop, but Hiltop. They kept all the same signs to save money, awkwardly configuring the “n” into a “p.”

Sadly, it disappeared a couple of years ago, so I doubt that I could nab a photo.

• dimoko | December 3, 2007 at 8:34 am |

i would have a picture of edwards in the black shoes later in the game, but my DVR didnt record the game as i asked it to!

• Ed | December 3, 2007 at 8:38 am |

Wow, a photo from a high school in my home town. Thanks!

ed

• LI Phil | December 3, 2007 at 8:40 am |

the denver pride stickers are getting out of hand

• Sarah | December 3, 2007 at 8:44 am |

Clinton Portis had a hole right in between his numbers on his back yesterday. Can anyone get a screen grab?

• Rick | December 3, 2007 at 8:45 am |

I’m guessing the word “WABASH” down the side?

• nybatt | December 3, 2007 at 8:54 am |

what a uni-treat it was watching the football giants in their classic road unis and the bears in their classic home navy. felt just like the early 60’s… well, maybe not that much!! but at least the unis harkened back to that simple era!!

also in that game I noticed brian urlacher’s “c” logo torn in half (horizontally) on the left side of his helmet…. man the bears have issues with that almost every week!!

lastly, I know it is not “allowed” as the jets have worn the throwbacks twice already, BUT wouldn’t it be something if they could wear them next week versus the browns?? would have to be the first time since the early 60’s since two logo-less helmets faced off….

• Pat | December 3, 2007 at 8:56 am |

No offense to who ever picked out the uniform in today’s showcase card. But I can’t stand those. Why can’t they just stick to this?

• LI Phil | December 3, 2007 at 9:02 am |

[quote comment=”180876″] would have to be the first time since the early 60’s since two logo-less helmets faced off….[/quote]

or thanks giving 2001
    good point, tho…i LOVE the titan throwbacks…wish the jesters could make those permanent, especially when the new new meadowlands is open

• […] Original post by Pajama Mommy Community […]

• LI Phil | December 3, 2007 at 9:08 am |
  • u2horn | December 3, 2007 at 9:15 am |

I see the P for Psalms in the Tommie Harris pic.

Psalms 91 (not necessarily just a reference to his uni number)

• My name is not Earl | December 3, 2007 at 9:19 am |

If anything, you would have expected the Jets to wear the Titans duds on Thanksgiving. Yes, I know the NFL doesn’t technically do the Thanksgiving Throwbacks thing league-wide anymore, but that may have been a more appropriate time for it.

Even better would have been had the Jets saved it for Dec. 23 against Tennessee, resulting in a Titans-Titans matchup.

• Dan King | December 3, 2007 at 9:20 am |

the stripe in the Mentor Lake pic isn’t just bigger, its completely off center.

• Paul Lukas | December 3, 2007 at 9:20 am |

[quote comment=”180886″]I see the P for Psalms in the Tommie Harris pic.

Psalms 91 (not necessarily just a reference to his uni number)[/quote]

After looking at it again, I now see the “P” as well. Thanks! I’ll fix the text.

• The Hemogoblin | December 3, 2007 at 9:24 am |

I have a Chinese conversion in my town. It used to be an A&W, but they painted it purple. A couple of years ago, the purple flaked off, and you could see a bunch of orange on there.

In other news, man, do I hate black alternate jerseys.

• Kyle at IU | December 3, 2007 at 9:24 am |

I’m guessing the word “WABASH” down the side?[/quote]

It would be a lot cooler if it was written vertically, like this:
    W
    A
    B
    A
    S
    H

• Andy--01 | December 3, 2007 at 9:27 am |

Looking at old photos, he clearly doesn’t do it all the time: Warm weather game

Is this common, and I just didn’t pay close enough attention in the past?

• Mike | December 3, 2007 at 9:36 am |

[quote comment=”180897″]I’ve been looking, but can’t find a photo of it… Noticed yesterday that Damon Huard has his muff sewn into his jersey. Basically, his jersey has pockets, rather than wearing the muff-on-a-belt like most players do.

Looking at old photos, he clearly doesn’t do it all the time: Warm weather game

Is this common, and I just didn’t pay close enough attention in the past?[/quote]
    Yeah, other QB’s do it fairly often. Here’s Roethlisberger last week.

But then question of my own…This week he had a normal jersey with a traditional hand warmer. Any ideas why the change? Both games seemed to be plenty cold.

• Miguel | December 3, 2007 at 9:37 am |

• Matt Berry | December 3, 2007 at 9:38 am |

The AJC quotes Mark Richt as saying that Georgia will wear its black jerseys again against Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl and try to black out the Superdome since they figure to overwhelmingly outnumber Hawaii fans. As a UGA student, I have two problems with this. First, the black jerseys helped create one of the most special games at Sanford Stadium in a long time, and they’re going to where them to what many fans (not me, really) feel is a consolation game for not getting to the BCS Title. Save them for big time home games where you want to pump a little more excitement into the fans and players. Also, blacking out the Superdome is pretty stupid because the team we’re playing also heavily features black in their color scheme.

• Eriq Jaffe | December 3, 2007 at 9:42 am |

• u2horn | December 3, 2007 at 9:45 am |

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I actually sort of liked the Rams’ monochromatic look yesterday. I can’t explain it, but I thought it looked good. I generally loath monochromatic unis.

• anthony | December 3, 2007 at 9:47 am |

Paul,
    …what ever happened to the casual Uniwatch “get-togthers” in Brooklyn?

• Dobu | December 3, 2007 at 9:47 am |

In the NCAA, if Chevy wanted to pay for uniforms for a university could they contract with a company to make uniforms and slap their logo in the same places the Nike swoosh now sits?

• Tony B | December 3, 2007 at 9:51 am |

• diz | December 3, 2007 at 9:51 am |

[quote comment=”180905″][quote comment=”180873″][quote comment=”180861″]Maybe im missing something painfully obvious but what was wrong with wabash’s pants?[/quote]

I’m guessing the word “WABASH” down the side?[/quote]That, probably, and opting to wear all-white in a snowstorm.[/quote]

surely that’s a mixed bag – how’s an opposide side going to easily spot any coverage or pass rush? :D

• Mark Mayall | December 3, 2007 at 9:52 am |

The fast-food conversion site is pure gold. I’m going to submit a former pizza hut that’s now an Indian restaurant. “The Hut” is the most well-represented chain on that site BTW.

• CV | December 3, 2007 at 9:53 am |

1) the Tennesse popsicle all orange unis
    2) Whatever the hell you want to call Oregon’s this week? Metallic yellow helmets, yellow, green, and tiretread jerseys, green pants, and yellow shoes
    3) West Virginia’s all pee yellow ensambles.

• Matt Berry | December 3, 2007 at 9:57 am |

1) the Tennesse popsicle all orange unis
    3) West Virginia’s all pee yellow ensambles.[/quote]

• Mark in Cincy | December 3, 2007 at 9:59 am |

1) the Tennesse popsicle all orange unis
    3) West Virginia’s all pee yellow ensambles.[/quote]
    Yeah that was quite the embarassing uni-day. And, coincidentally, they all lost. Perhaps we won’t see them in the future. Doubtful though[/quote]

• CV | December 3, 2007 at 10:04 am |

[quote comment=”180918″][quote comment=”180916″][quote comment=”180915″]Anyone else Saturday almost develop macular degeneration fom flipping through in order:

1) the Tennesse popsicle all orange unis
    3) West Virginia’s all pee yellow ensambles.[/quote]
    my brother, who does not get it, even commented on the horror of the unitard look in Tennessee and West Virginia.[/quote]

My dad, who is 70, never before commeted on unis to me, and a Packer fan (so, inclined to like Green and Yellow), says to me when Oregon came on, “what in the hell kind of uniforms are those?”

• Paul Lukas | December 3, 2007 at 10:15 am |

[quote comment=”180909″]Paul,
    …what ever happened to the casual Uniwatch “get-togthers” in Brooklyn?[/quote]

Life has been a little busy lately. After the holidays, for sure.

• Kek | December 3, 2007 at 10:15 am |

No, you’re right. It was Kennard Cox #5. I wasn’t sure if it was tape or a sleeve but it clearly read “RIP Sean T”.

He’s from Miami and that’s where Taylor was from.

I had actually been trying to find a pic of this but the only one I saw on yahoo had Cox in the background and blurry and couldn’t read it.

• BCrisp | December 3, 2007 at 10:18 am |

No decal
    No decal
    Decal

• BCrisp | December 3, 2007 at 10:19 am |

Anybody else a fan of the Sunday comics? I think a lot of people on this site would enjoy yesterday’s Tank McNamara.

• Shane S. | December 3, 2007 at 10:22 am |

• dm00n [Doug] | December 3, 2007 at 10:26 am |

Nice write up here about an old school Detroit area sports outfitter.

• Hitch | December 3, 2007 at 10:27 am |

I’m pretty sure I saw Brian Urlacher’s C on his helmet partially torn at the end of yesterday’s game. Alas, I have no photographic evidence for this.

• dm00n [Doug] | December 3, 2007 at 10:29 am |

Steve Smith threw his cleats into the stands after beating the Niners.

• Stephen | December 3, 2007 at 10:30 am |

Nope, I saw it too.

~E~

• Jason G. | December 3, 2007 at 10:42 am |

Alas, I have no photographic evidence for this.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure I saw that too. I don’t have a picture either.

• Jared | December 3, 2007 at 10:43 am |

• Dusty | December 3, 2007 at 10:44 am |

• Kevin | December 3, 2007 at 10:49 am |

Philip Rivers had one of those on sidelines too. First non-Lovie Smith person I’ve seen with it.[/quote]

Is that a V foundation pin that the ref is wearing?

• TOG | December 3, 2007 at 10:52 am |

The NY Titans (Jets) road unis just be the nicest looking NFL jersey/pants combo, period. Friggin’ handsome sweet.

ReebokAdidas//Please take note.

• steve | December 3, 2007 at 10:54 am |

• lemonverbena | December 3, 2007 at 11:10 am |

Mike Holmgren.

• Matt | December 3, 2007 at 11:13 am |

[quote comment=”180896″][quote comment=”180873″][quote comment=”180861″]Maybe im missing something painfully obvious but what was wrong with wabash’s pants?[/quote]

I’m guessing the word “WABASH” down the side?[/quote]

It would be a lot cooler if it was written vertically, like this:
    W
    A
    B
    A
    S
    H
    The way they have it now, the only way it’s oriented correctly is when the player is laying on his back. It’d also be cool if they could get Wally Wabash incorporated into the uni somehow.[/quote]

I like Wally’s wristbands.

• Smed | December 3, 2007 at 11:17 am |

As a Wabash alum, I don’t like the name down the side of their white pants. Also, at home, they wear all red, and I’ve joked that they’re channeling the 76 Indians. Ah, well.

• Marty Met | December 3, 2007 at 11:23 am |

[quote comment=”180954″]The Jets took the unusual step of wearing their Titans throwbacks on the road in Miami.

ReebokAdidas//Please take note.[/quote]

I loved it too, but I’m guessing there was a little too much gold for all the uniwatchers who suffer from chromophobia. I’m sure they would rather the “classic” white and blue Penn State/Colts look.

However I still think the Jets green jersey/green pants is the SWEETEST uniform in the NFL

• Pedro | December 3, 2007 at 11:25 am |

[quote comment=”180948″]Also sporting the “21” decal were the CBS studio team. They had the stickers on their jackets.

I don’t have a grab, but I’m sure I’m not telling you guys something you haven’t seen, but it wasn’t mentioned.[/quote]

The big black stickers on their nice, tailored suits looked awkward. They should have had a classy pin made up or something.

• Tim | December 3, 2007 at 11:30 am |

[quote comment=”180889″]the stripe in the Mentor Lake pic isn’t just bigger, its completely off center.[/quote]
    I sent this info to Paul. I was watching a local high school show and a player from this team was shown in a closeup and it was clear that there were extra stripes on his helmet…you could see the layers of the stripes overlapping each other….so it’s definately added on and not anything off center.

I found some pics of their first game and all players had the same stripe, so it’s something that players earn as the season progresses.

My 1 thought to Paul was that it was some sort of “big hit” decal that players earn, and it’s added to the stripe instead of a more traditional helmet decal.

• Gyula Nemeth | December 3, 2007 at 11:31 am |

You wrote to Antonio Pierce’s facemask: “his was the only personalized tribute to Taylor that I spotted”.
    Not exactly.
    Mike Mckenzie of the Saints wore 21 ON HIS FACE.

• steve | December 3, 2007 at 11:31 am |

The Titans vs. Dolphins made the ugliest game of the year look good.
    The clash of the Jets green and Dolphins teal has bothered me since the 70’s.

Lots of good shoelace info at Ian’s shoelace site.

• steve | December 3, 2007 at 11:32 am |

Ian’s shoelace site.

• Jason | December 3, 2007 at 11:43 am |

A.J. Feeley’s uni numbers seem WAY too spread out. (There are a couple of good pics in the slide show). I also found a nice pic of Feeley with girlfriend Heather Mitts. (Possibly NSFW, though)

• anthony | December 3, 2007 at 11:45 am |

[quote comment=”180931″][quote comment=”180909″]Paul,
    …what ever happened to the casual Uniwatch “get-togthers” in Brooklyn?[/quote]

Life has been a little busy lately. After the holidays, for sure.[/quote]

Cool!

• LI Phil | December 3, 2007 at 11:50 am |

The clash of the Jets green and Dolphins teal has bothered me since the 70’s.[/quote]

• Johnny O | December 3, 2007 at 11:52 am |

[quote comment=”180961″][quote comment=”180949″][quote comment=”180903″]Lovie Smith wore his Pump jacket again yesterday. Still can’t find it in NFL Shop.[/quote]

Mike Holmgren.[/quote]
    Coach Jauron of the Bills also had it on a few weeks ago.
    And why wouldn’t they be available in the NFL Shop? I looked there too in anticipation to buy one, and no dice. What gives?

• Big L | December 3, 2007 at 11:53 am |

What a great post today, Paul! I have to second the restaurants link, now I have found my second obsession.

Interesting note, not too far from my house is a converted McDonald’s. It is now a Baskin-Robbins, but the funny and peculiar part is that the PlayPlace is now an Insure One office complete with an all-glass exterior.

Those Jets throwbacks are mighty nice, but would they seriously consider abandoning the green for blue? What if they took the NY Titans template and make it Green and White. I’m sure someone would be able to mock that up.

Also, the second Wabash photo looks as if the Wabash player only has an upper body or has been completely consumed by the ground.

• Marty Met | December 3, 2007 at 11:56 am |

i totally agree…the titan throwbacks are gorgeous…and while the J-E-T-S green is kinda meh…when they couple the green pants with the green jerseys it is quite possibly the WORST uni in football[/quote]

You must be joking. It is hands down THE BEST UNIFORM in football.

• KU Student | December 3, 2007 at 12:01 pm |

[quote comment=”180935″]Most of the players for the Houston Texans were not wearing 21 helmet decals. Only a few of them were.
    No decal
    No decal
    Decal[/quote]

The player in the pictures who does have the decal is Eric Winston, who played with Taylor at Miami.

• Ryan | December 3, 2007 at 12:02 pm |

the zebina jersey reminds me of this i saw this summer at a conference.

• al | December 3, 2007 at 12:03 pm |

• ryan c #40 | December 3, 2007 at 12:06 pm |

POST #8: “would have to be the first time since the early 60’s since two logo-less helmets faced off….”

…2001 the packers played the lions. it was the “thanksgiving classic 1935 detroit lions vs. 1939 g.b. packers” . both teams had blank helmets.

AND:

“No offense to who ever picked out the uniform in today’s showcase card. But I can’t stand those.”

…love the showcase card!!! that makes 2 jerseys i’m jealous i din’t think of… that celts jersey… and whoever picked the penguins old third jersey, or 97-98 away jersey

• Nick | December 3, 2007 at 12:08 pm |

looks like Clinton Portis is sporting the one striped/one burgundy sock look again in addition to the airbrushed under tee on sunday.

• josh | December 3, 2007 at 12:08 pm |

This reminds me of Carl Hiaasen’s, “Double Whammy”, which spoke of the Burger King that had been converted into the county morgue, because it was the only building in the county with a walk-in cooler.

• Hama | December 3, 2007 at 12:09 pm |

[quote comment=”180955″]At least one Redskin, I forget who, had a sean taylor jerson on under his own jersey. During pregame he had his jersey tucked up to his shoulder pads so you could see taylors.[/quote]

That was John Eubanks

• scott merzbach | December 3, 2007 at 12:16 pm |

New uniforms and logo for the Fresno Grizzlies:

Getting rid of their country club look, I guess.

• Josh Petty | December 3, 2007 at 12:17 pm |

• Ian K | December 3, 2007 at 12:20 pm |

• Moose | December 3, 2007 at 12:24 pm |

[quote comment=”180947″][quote comment=”180942″]I’m pretty sure I saw Brian Urlacher’s C on his helmet partially torn at the end of yesterday’s game.

Alas, I have no photographic evidence for this.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure I saw that too. I don’t have a picture either.[/quote]

Adrian Peterson also had a “C” malfunction. Can’t find a pic though.

• NateL | December 3, 2007 at 12:29 pm |

[quote comment=”180998″]Tommie Harris always has Psalms 91 on his breathe right strip, it’s wasn’t just this week.[/quote]

Psalm 91 could be a tribute to Sean Taylor, even though he apparently has the verse written on his strip. Thought someone might be interested to know what Psalm 91 says. I immediately looked it up.

• Robin | December 3, 2007 at 12:41 pm |

• Kerry P | December 3, 2007 at 12:43 pm |

Good catch. I hadn’t noticed that until you brought it up.

Just a nit-picky thing Paul, UVSC isn’t going to Division 1-A (that name doesn’t even exist anymore). They are trying to make the move to the NCAA Division I.

• Mike Engle | December 3, 2007 at 12:44 pm |

[quote comment=”180999″][quote comment=”180938″]Anyone else notice the first “U” in the Utah Valley University wordmark logo has a serif added to make the negative space like the outline of Utah?[/quote]

I noticed the odd serif but didn’t make the connection that it’s the state outline. Nice catch! I wonder why they only did it for the first U.[/quote]
    That font looks a lot like the Washington Nationals. Todd Radom, your thoughts?

• Kerry P | December 3, 2007 at 12:46 pm |

If you are talking the BCS Championship game, then yes I agree. I just wonder which team will wear white. I hope it is LSU![/quote]
    I couldn’t agree more. I thought the exact same thing.

• LI Phil | December 3, 2007 at 12:49 pm |

I couldn’t agree more. I thought the exact same thing.[/quote]

• Neil | December 3, 2007 at 12:53 pm |

• Marty Met | December 3, 2007 at 1:02 pm |

I couldn’t agree more. I thought the exact same thing.[/quote]

Uniform wise I would have rather seen Mizzou (all black) vs. WV (all yellow). I do like LSU’s uniforms a lot, but CAN’T STAND Ohio State’s uniforms. They rank up there with ND and Penn State for being ugly and boring.

• Cheri | December 3, 2007 at 1:04 pm |

[quote comment=”180945″][quote comment=”180912″]I just caught a glimpse of the WVU-Pitt game, plus I was at a bar drinking. But I swear a Pitt d-back had “RIP Sean T” on his forearm sleeve. Did anyone else see this, or was I the far gone?[/quote]
    Nope, I saw it too.

~E~[/quote]

Yes, all over the NCAA on Saturday I saw the number 21. Gloves, forearms, and I know I know I saw one kids with it written on his left arm with marker.

• Philly Bill | December 3, 2007 at 1:07 pm |

Not Fooling Anybody: “Gold, Jerry!”

I got my first and only speeding ticket at age 17 on my way to this structure — in its previous incarnation, obviously — at approximately 4 a.m.: http://notfoolingany...

Wonder if it’s a 24-hour title loans joint…

• My name is not Earl | December 3, 2007 at 1:07 pm |

I couldn’t agree more. I thought the exact same thing.[/quote]

if lsu wears this katrina-inspired getup, many people will throw up into their mouths[/quote]

• Mike Engle | December 3, 2007 at 1:08 pm |

Interesting. Once upon a time, there was something on Penn State’s helmets.
    (Source)

• BobA | December 3, 2007 at 1:17 pm |

The Jets looked fantastic. If I wore jerseys I’d have to get one of those. Very, very nice.

• LI Phil | December 3, 2007 at 1:19 pm |

santana moss: tribute or shocker?

• Nicolas Caron | December 3, 2007 at 1:19 pm |

Pretty sure I saw Dick Jauron wear one last week too.

• Jamie K. | December 3, 2007 at 1:24 pm |

Like Ones With Some Cool Stripes Or Weird Patterns?

Thanks In Advance

Jamie

• Tao of Stieb | December 3, 2007 at 1:28 pm |

First look a the Blue Jays new road unis…a much bigger change than expected!

• Nicolas Caron | December 3, 2007 at 1:37 pm |

Clinton Portis had the word Redskins on the visor flaps that come out the forehead.

• LI Phil | December 3, 2007 at 1:38 pm |

[quote comment=”181036″]First look a the Blue Jays new road unis…a much bigger change than expected!

ugh…what’s with the font and the black hat?

/fckn awful

• josh | December 3, 2007 at 1:39 pm |

santana moss: tribute or shocker?

• Mike | December 3, 2007 at 1:49 pm |

Remember a few years back…ok, many years back, when jerseys had the hand warmers in the chest area? I distinctly remember Marino putting one hand high up on his chest, the other just below….or maybe I am crazy….

• Thorold Blair | December 3, 2007 at 1:50 pm |

Just got an email. The Blue Jays will be debuting their 2008 unis with a live webcast on bluejays.com at 5:50 tonite. If anyone is interested

• Ron | December 3, 2007 at 1:53 pm |

• Matt | December 3, 2007 at 1:59 pm |

[quote comment=”181020″][quote comment=”181011″][quote comment=”181010″][quote comment=”181007″][quote comment=”180990″]Say what you want about the BCS, but it will be providing a classic uni matchup as both sport some of the finest digs in college football.[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more. I thought the exact same thing.[/quote]

I liked those unis. But I think they only were meant for the game against Tulane anyways.

• ryan c #40 | December 3, 2007 at 2:03 pm |

POST #95

• Paul Lukas | December 3, 2007 at 2:06 pm |

Riddell helmets MUST have the Riddell wordmark on the bumper.

• josh | December 3, 2007 at 2:17 pm |

Riddell helmets MUST have the Riddell wordmark on the bumper.

But other helmets must NOT have the brand wordmark, correct?

• James Craven | December 3, 2007 at 2:20 pm |

• Duckstyle | December 3, 2007 at 2:28 pm |

[quote comment=”180985″][quote comment=”180982″][quote comment=”180974″]The Titans vs. Dolphins made the ugliest game of the year look good.

You must be joking. It is hands down THE BEST UNIFORM in football.[/quote]

Definitly not the best in football, home Packers or Bears Iimo. But, not bad either. I usually hate the monochrome look. But 2 color teams do seem to pull it off better than, say, the Titans who look terrible when they match their pants to their jerseys. But honestly, as a whole group of uni’s, both regular, monochrome-switchup, and throwbacks, the Jets gotta be number one.

• LI Phil | December 3, 2007 at 2:33 pm |

SHOCKING a ducks fan would like the jet monstrosity ;)

• josh | December 3, 2007 at 2:34 pm |

The Titans vs. Dolphins made the ugliest game of the year look good.
    The clash of the Jets green and Dolphins teal has bothered me since the 70’s.

You must be joking. It is hands down THE BEST UNIFORM in football.

Monochrome looks high school, period.

• Marty Met | December 3, 2007 at 2:40 pm |

The clash of the Jets green and Dolphins teal has bothered me since the 70’s.

You must be joking. It is hands down THE BEST UNIFORM in football.

Monochrome looks high school, period.[/quote]

Nothing looks more high school than the Colts

• Matt | December 3, 2007 at 2:41 pm |

• Anthony Verna | December 3, 2007 at 2:43 pm |

I love Union Hall in Brooklyn.

• Marty Met | December 3, 2007 at 2:48 pm |

[quote comment=”181074″]People covered it halfway adequately above, but while Oregon’s uniforms on Saturday were about the most atrocious thing ever (especially the gold helmet that did not quite match the yellow on the uniforms), why should Oregon State’s Nike threads be spared criticism? The game looked like a pajama party on both sides.[/quote]

I disagree. It was fun. Isn’t that what sports is about? Want to see pajama (or long johns) party watch a Colts or Penn State game, or check out a Yankees home game. B-O-R-I-N-G

• Robert | December 3, 2007 at 2:50 pm |

[quote comment=”181073″][quote comment=”181071″]The Titans vs. Dolphins made the ugliest game of the year look good.
    The clash of the Jets green and Dolphins teal has bothered me since the 70’s.

You must be joking. It is hands down THE BEST UNIFORM in football.

Monochrome looks high school, period.[/quote]

Nothing looks more high school than the Colts[/quote]

High school in 1958?

• Mike | December 3, 2007 at 2:55 pm |

[quote comment=”181052″]POST #95

favre wears one… it was just mentioned on this blog last week. so, no, not crazy! well, maybe you are… but the jerseys exist. lol[/quote]

Thank you! I need to read more carefully!

• Dennis Abrams | December 3, 2007 at 3:00 pm |

The Wabash pants are far from “ill-advised.”

• Duckstyle | December 3, 2007 at 3:00 pm |

[quote comment=”181069″][quote]as a whole group of uni’s, both regular, monochrome-switchup, and throwbacks, the Jets gotta be number one.[/quote]

SHOCKING a ducks fan would like the jet monstrosity ;)[/quote]

Not a Duck’s fan, at all. Duck’s a nickname, it’s all ME baby. My fan-hood is split between Illinois and Wisconsin, as I didn’t attend a large school myself.

• Duckstyle | December 3, 2007 at 3:02 pm |

That’s purty, I don’t care who you are.

• David | December 3, 2007 at 3:05 pm |

Second, mono-colored uni’s is high school-esq, except for the Colts. They had blue pants not to long ago, and they sucked.

• LI Phil | December 3, 2007 at 3:08 pm |

no one’s questioning your fanhood, big guy

• Shane S. | December 3, 2007 at 3:11 pm |

Just trying to make use of my Geography degree, it comes in handy sometimes (except for actual job situations…..)

• Marty Met | December 3, 2007 at 3:11 pm |

[quote comment=”181084″]A couple of comments. What the hell is Peter King smoking?? Telling the jets to forget the Titans?? Please, these throwback look better then the Jets current uni’s.

Last, I was having an arguement over the weekend talking about the best college football uniform. I voted for Penn St, while Ohio St., UNC, USC and Michican was in the mix. I was labled as boring because Penn St. doesn’t feature anything. Just a boring white helmet, and plain blue jeresy. Sometimes being simple is beautiful.[/quote]

Of the five I think Penn State, Ohio State and UNC are HORRIBLE. I love Michigan and USC’s uniforms.

• Matt | December 3, 2007 at 3:14 pm |

• Mike | December 3, 2007 at 3:16 pm |

• Philly Bill | December 3, 2007 at 3:19 pm |

[quote comment=”181057″]Toronto’s Road uniform: Slight upgrade than the unreadable gray-on-gray numbers. Now let’s bring back blue fulltime![/quote]

I can’t see the photo. Li’l help?

Riddell helmets MUST have the Riddell wordmark on the bumper.[/quote]

• Duckstyle | December 3, 2007 at 3:19 pm |

[quote comment=”181085″][quote comment=”181082″]My fan-hood is split between Illinois and Wisconsin, as I didn’t attend a large school myself.[/quote]

no one’s questioning your fanhood, big guy[/quote]

(jumps thru the computer and starts pummeling Phil)

• LI Phil | December 3, 2007 at 3:20 pm |

is this gaddawful thing what you’re talking about?

• Philly Bill | December 3, 2007 at 3:21 pm |

[quote comment=”181090″]What was the deal with the small circle of lettering and object on all or most (defintely Holmgen and Lovie Smith) of the head coaches jackets? Looked like it might be the pump making a comeback? Anyone notice this?[/quote]

It’s a pump jacket all right. Search the site — Paul actually did a thorough investigation when Lovie Smith first debuted his. They’re still not available to the public, apparently.

• Matt | December 3, 2007 at 3:24 pm |

• Chance | December 3, 2007 at 3:24 pm |

A football question, maybe somebody can chime in: how many different brands use the same Berlin, Wisconsin-based nylon mesh material for their jerseys? I was at the Edmonton Eskimos Locker Room Sale on the weekend, and there were Ripon, Starter, Puma, and Reebok-branded jerseys, all featuring “Made in Berlin, WI” wash tags. The old MacGregor/Medalist Sand-Knit jerseys were made there as well. Anyone know the actual company name?[/quote]

I believe it’s Ripon Athletic. They make the actual on-field uniforms for the NFL (and, I guess, the CFL as well).

• Matt | December 3, 2007 at 3:26 pm |

is this gaddawful thing what you’re talking about?[/quote]

• Matt | December 3, 2007 at 3:27 pm |

That Eddie George red Titans jersey is a steal on eBay at only $17.00.

• ryan c #40 | December 3, 2007 at 3:33 pm |

nfl uniforms… or any uniform for that matter… keep it simple! the colts have an awesome, classic uni! esp. when manning wears black shoes!

on a side note… i HATE pitt’s uniform. talk about a downward spiral. they were SO awesome with the jagged panter on the head and the freaky-jagged numbers! since then… since wand-stach… the jerseys have gotten worse, and worse, and worse…

• Matt | December 3, 2007 at 3:34 pm |

[quote comment=”181099″]That Eddie George red Titans jersey is a steal on eBay at only $17.00.[/quote]

I wouldn’t pay that much for an old worn-out replica jersey like that.

• Marty Met | December 3, 2007 at 3:38 pm |

[quote comment=”181096″]109 — I don’t post here frequently, so I certainly wouldn’t and certainly couldn’t pretend to speak for the site or for the “community” here or what have you. That said, are you sure you have found a home here on the Internets? Vive la difference, and everyone’s entitled to their opinions, and etc., but goodness, you think the Oregon-Oregpn State “Civil War” uniforms were fun? Why not just go with polka dots and clown suits if garish, clashing, faux-futuristic neon-colored uniforms are what passes for fun?[/quote]

I don’t think they are garish at all. and the colors certainly do not clash.

• Tim | December 3, 2007 at 3:43 pm |

[quote]Nah . . . the only way those jerseys may make an appearance is if TOSU chooses to wear white (it is the home team and could make that choice, but I don’t think the Buckeyes have ever worn white at home). Tressel doesn’t seem the type to give in to such gimmickry. His guys are going to wear red.[/quote]

OSU wore white last year against Florida and they were the home team.

White had brought them good luck in the Fiesta Bowl, they beat Miami in 2003, K St in 2005 and ND in 2006 in the Fiesta Bowl, and wore white each time.

That said, i think they go wtih red this time, and LSU will wear white….both good things.

• Jeff B | December 3, 2007 at 3:47 pm |

Riddell helmets MUST have the Riddell wordmark on the bumper.[/quote]

Dunno if you’ve noticed, but in that laughable Citizen Eco-Drive commercial with Eli Manning, he’s got a Schutt wordmark on his helmet’s nose bumper. Pretty slick tactic, since obviously he can’t wear the wordmark in any NFL-sanctioned capacity. (The crown of vents indicates it’s a Schutt model.)[/quote]

• LI Phil | December 3, 2007 at 3:50 pm |

[quote comment=”181109″]I thought it was laughable for the “Eli Manning is unstoppable, just like this watch” thing.[/quote]

someone at citizen misread the “manning is advert gold” memo

• /a | December 3, 2007 at 3:53 pm |

Anywhere other than here, if I admitted I’d be tuning in to that Jays uni-reveal webcast, I’d be somewhat ashamed. Nice to be among the like-minded…

A quick check of the Jays online store reveals that the “T” alternate caps are suddenly discounted, which doesn’t bode well for them ever seeing the field again.

As The Tao of Stieb rightly pointed out, the new road unis are the obvious result of an ad-hoc fix. Too many fonts! The “J” on the hat doesn’t match the new chest workmark, and the numbers introduce a new numbering font, not at all like the slightly italicized numbers on the regulars.

• Tony B | December 3, 2007 at 3:53 pm |

[quote comment=”181034″]Hey, does Anybody Know Where I Can Find Some Cool Basketball socks Online For Guys?

Like Ones With Some Cool Stripes Or Weird Patterns?

Thanks In Advance

Jamie[/quote]
    You can get soccer socks. Eurosport (soccer.com) or epicsoccer.com

• Tony B | December 3, 2007 at 3:56 pm |

[quote comment=”181083″]That’s purty, I don’t care who you are.

Only two things could improve that pic…a grey facemask and the stripes on the strings half of the ball

• CV | December 3, 2007 at 4:02 pm |

[quote comment=”181071″]Monochrome looks high school, period.[/quote]

Amen brother.

• Kerry P | December 3, 2007 at 4:43 pm |

I couldn’t agree more. I thought the exact same thing.[/quote]

Why would LSU wear those in the BCS Title Game?

• Duckstyle | December 3, 2007 at 4:47 pm |

[quote comment=”181116″][quote comment=”181071″]Monochrome looks high school, period.[/quote]

Amen brother.[/quote]

Maybe the reason I don’t hate this as much as some, and don’t get me worng here, I DO usually dislike it, is because none of the high school teams in my conference went monochrome in my day. Mostly just simple color on color, most without even a pant stripe. But if anyone saw this recently in the comments, things are a changin in my area.

• Big L | December 3, 2007 at 4:49 pm |

• LI Phil | December 3, 2007 at 4:55 pm |

there are just so many things wrong with this uni…it’s hard to know where to begin

• Moose | December 3, 2007 at 4:56 pm |

[quote comment=”181122″]The psalm 91 on Tommie Harris’ nasal strip, I believe, is interepreted in the religious hymn On Eagles Wings. Which is a common hymn at funerals. I may be reading too much into it trying to connect a lot of things, but this may be a tribute to Sean Taylor of some sort? Just a guess, hadn’t noticed his nasal strip before so I may be wrong.[/quote]

Tommie Harris is super-religious and has always done this [at least for the last few years]. Don’t cross his path….he destroys offensive players in the name of God.

• Justin B | December 3, 2007 at 5:01 pm |

is this gaddawful thing what you’re talking about?[/quote]

Yeah, but the one I was thinking of had the number and outline colors swapped. It’d be cool to see the Titans bust these out, so we could all then rip on them. :-)[/quote]

• gopherboy | December 3, 2007 at 5:18 pm |

There were several Bears with C problems. Adrian Peterson, urlacher and the should be weekly watch for hunter hillenmeyer’s torn C. ts been off many times. Why are the Bears’ logos so bad? MAybe they just hit really hard.

• Matthew S. | December 3, 2007 at 5:23 pm |

is this gaddawful thing what you’re talking about?[/quote]

When were NFL jerseys made by Puma? And who would spend $17 on a jersey that ugly? Lastly, it looks like whoever owned that jersey sure wore it a lot. See the wear on the screen printed numbers.[/quote]

• Matthew S. | December 3, 2007 at 5:32 pm |

[quote comment=”181129″][quote comment=”181126″][quote comment=”181098″][quote comment=”181094″][quote comment=”181089″]Does anyone remember the red Tennessee Titans alternate jerseys? I don’t think they were ever worn in-game, but it got me thinking: Is red an official third color of the Titans? I’m kind of surprised those jerseys aren’t around anymore.[/quote]

is this gaddawful thing what you’re talking about?[/quote]

Rule of thumb: if it only costs $17, there’s probably a reason for it. Looks pretty crappy to me. That being said, there actually was a time when NFL jerseys were made by different companies. I can recall Nike Packers and Cowboys jerseys, Wilson Oilers jerseys, etc. Don’t specifically recall Puma being a supplier, but I guess it’s possible.[/quote]

I just read the item description on ebay and it contains this gem: “Some ink cracking for vintage look”….my friends, THAT is what we call spin.

• Neil | December 3, 2007 at 5:43 pm |

[quote comment=”181097″][quote comment=”181014″]Love the Wabash photos, now that’s football weather. Here’s to hoping the Winter Classic gets some of the same.

All NFL “authentics” jerseys sold in shops are made by Reebok, but the ones they players actually pull on in the locker room have been farmed out to Ripon for decades. They just put the manufacturer’s logo on them.[/quote]

Thanks for that; I figured Ripon had to be the source company, like Maska and SP in hockey. I actually picked up a 2001 jersey with no other tagging but Ripon, it was the first such jersey I’d ever seen.

• Neil | December 3, 2007 at 5:50 pm |

This is D3. As Wabash probably travelled up to UW Whitewater the night before, there was no way on earth that they could have got spare leggings up, especially as the storm hit so suddenly…

• brian | December 3, 2007 at 5:50 pm |

I go to NDCL high school and Lake Catholic is my rival. That lake catholic helmet thing is a merit thing. They use stickers on the helmet but also make the stripe bigger if you make a big hit or do a good play. Their star linebacker, a kid who i went to gradeschool with and who is probably going to PITT, has a huge helmet striipe. Ill look for a picture but it takes up the whole helmet.

• brian | December 3, 2007 at 6:06 pm |

here,

• brian | December 3, 2007 at 6:07 pm |

sorry, its on facebook….you wont be able to see it

• brian | December 3, 2007 at 6:10 pm |

but look at #6 in the backfield at the beginning of this video. He is obviously pretty good bc of his helmet..

• Richie Rich | December 3, 2007 at 6:16 pm |

I like the Jays new uniforms (the retro Powder Blues anyway)

The new road unis are lame.

Did anyone else watching the feed hear Lloyd Moseby say “they sucked” when asked about wearing the uniform when coming up to the bigs as a rookie?

The Toronto PR people must have been thrilled.

• Johnny O | December 3, 2007 at 6:19 pm |

is this gaddawful thing what you’re talking about?[/quote]

• Richie Rich | December 3, 2007 at 6:20 pm |

Bad link on my previous entry

This is better

Powder Blues!!

• /a | December 3, 2007 at 6:26 pm |

Anybody got screen grabs from the Jays thingy? My media player crapped out. No numbers on the jerseys for sale at the Jays shop. Somebody show me a goofy-looking Jeremy Accardo sporting a new road uni!

• […] Monday Morning Uni WatchBy Paul LukasSometime in January: I’m going to be one of four presenters at the inaugural edition of a new speaking series called “Adult Education,” which is being curated by my longtime pal Carrie McLaren (editrix of the excellent consumer-culture …Uni Watch – http://www.uniwatchb... […]

• Richie Rich | December 3, 2007 at 6:52 pm |

• Henry | December 3, 2007 at 7:04 pm |

It was mentioned last week that a custom McFarlane figure of Sean Taylor showed his striped socks; on the program handed out at Taylor’s funeral today, the cover featured another custom McFarlane of Sean Taylor (made by the same guy), although it just had the regular socks… too bad.

• LI Phil | December 3, 2007 at 7:04 pm |

[quote comment=”181160″]The new Toronto Blue Jays jerseys (Powder Blue retro and the new road uniform) can be seen right here on Vernon Wells

as long as they keep the home jersey to fridays…i say SCHWEET…not a big fan of the powder blues for a permanent away uni at all…but for a once every other week (home only) alt…bring it baby

as far as the away…i stand by my comments in post 93

• =bg= | December 3, 2007 at 7:06 pm |

[quote comment=”181142″][quote comment=”181126″][quote comment=”181098″][quote comment=”181094″][quote comment=”181089″]Does anyone remember the red Tennessee Titans alternate jerseys? I don’t think they were ever worn in-game, but it got me thinking: Is red an official third color of the Titans? I’m kind of surprised those jerseys aren’t around anymore.[/quote]

is this gaddawful thing what you’re talking about?[/quote]

Back in the day (I think mid or late 90’s) some teams had puma jerseys and the Rams I know were on for sure. Here is Kurt Warner in a Puma jersey. The Bengels wore Puma as well. I remember that one cause I always thought it was funny that the “bengals” had “puma” on their uni’s[/quote]

I think that was one of those deals where PUMA bought Logo Athletic so get the NFL license. I saw some shots where the Puma logo was just stitched over where the LA had been. Puma never made the jerseys, and in fact they haven’t had a license for footwear in years. Too bad, I loved ’em.

• =bg= | December 3, 2007 at 7:11 pm |

The clash of the Jets green and Dolphins teal has bothered me since the 70’s.

You must be joking. It is hands down THE BEST UNIFORM in football.

Monochrome looks high school, period.[/quote]

Nothing looks more high school than the Colts[/quote]

Monochrome (see Seahawks, Seattle) is high school or ARENA League at best. For classic unis..you cannot beat the Pack, the Colts, the Bears, or the Cowboys. Browns, too. There might be a few more, but being a longtime Dallas fan, I love ethe Cowboys look. And all this time, I never looked twice at those (silver-green) pants. I just figured they where some weird variation.

• shaylen | December 3, 2007 at 7:13 pm |

yeah concerning the uni number rule in the NFL, what happens if a player such as michael vick or devin hester switch positions do they have to make a mid season change or lets say anquan boldin for some crazy reason goes in if kurt warner and tim rattay get hurt , would he have to change?

• Alex Ott | December 3, 2007 at 7:21 pm |

Donte Stallworth is wearing a Sean Taylor #21 towel on MNF

• Anthony Verna | December 3, 2007 at 7:56 pm |

[quote comment=”181083″]That’s purty, I don’t care who you are.

The Jets are the exception to the rule.

• Dusty | December 3, 2007 at 8:04 pm |

• Mike D. | December 3, 2007 at 8:05 pm |

• u2horn | December 3, 2007 at 8:14 pm |

Riddell helmets MUST have the Riddell wordmark on the bumper.[/quote]

Paul, do you have any idea what helmet Tony Romo wears then? It looks like a normal Riddell to me.

• Jordan | December 3, 2007 at 8:16 pm |

Thanks for the item on the Barbarians — the Ba-Bahs are one of rugby’s great traditions that really has no correspondance to anything in America. The tradition of a rugger wearing his own club’s tie ups (socks) when playing for a select or touring side trickles down to all levels of the game. Also one of the ruggers pictured was wearing a blue scrum cap — the choice to wear headgear is left to the player who provides his own. On each side there may be many different models and colors of scrum caps playing together on the pitch.

• Kris McInnis | December 3, 2007 at 8:24 pm |

Belichick looks like he just got out of Jazzercise tonight.

• Mike D. | December 3, 2007 at 8:31 pm |

As a Yankee fan, I’d like to see the Yankees wear these dugout jackets. They look great.

• James | December 3, 2007 at 8:34 pm |

[quote comment=”181186″]Shots of Tom Brady on Monday Night Countdown show him without the #21 decal on his helmet. Randy Moss is decal-clad though.[/quote]

I also saw Brady without the 21 decal in warmups, he is wearing it now though. Must’ve slipped by the equipment managers at first.

• Dom | December 3, 2007 at 8:44 pm |

Cool gallery on si.com to Sean Taylor. Here they show some of the helmets.

• Marcus Hall | December 3, 2007 at 8:52 pm |

• Dusty | December 3, 2007 at 9:01 pm |

Willis McGahee appears to be wearing a visor with a blue tint.

• jacob | December 3, 2007 at 9:10 pm |

baltimore in all black tonight vs. the pats..

• Mike | December 3, 2007 at 9:11 pm |

yawwwwwwwwwwwwwn

• =bg= | December 3, 2007 at 9:14 pm |

I think theyre holdovers from the Adidas years. man I hate the unitard look.

• Mike Engle | December 3, 2007 at 9:15 pm |

The Pats wear the “Adidas-remnants” with the navy pants.

• Marcus Hall, B-More, MD | December 3, 2007 at 9:17 pm |

If you gonna wear all black, then do it!!! i really hate the black socks

• Marcus Hall, B-More, MD | December 3, 2007 at 9:18 pm |

of course when i say i hate the black socks, i really mean i hate the white socks

• Marcus Hall, B-More, MD | December 3, 2007 at 9:22 pm |

The Pats wear the “Adidas-remnants” with the navy pants.[/quote]

I see – kinda look like my middle school gym socks

• Mike Engle | December 3, 2007 at 9:27 pm |

yawwwwwwwwwwwwwn[/quote]
    No thanks. It needs white. Stripes are always welcome. I happen to dig the Lion logo. A little too plain, but a fun Thanksgiving throwback.

• Raul | December 3, 2007 at 9:30 pm |

If the Ravens win tonight nobody can complain about their uniforms.

• LI Phil | December 3, 2007 at 9:32 pm |

[quote comment=”181213″]If the Ravens win tonight nobody can complain about their uniforms.[/quote]

if the ravens win tonight, the pats should be left out of the BCS

• =bg= | December 3, 2007 at 9:32 pm |

yeah, we can complain about them.

• Nolan | December 3, 2007 at 9:35 pm |

[quote comment=”181190″][quote comment=”181054″][quote comment=”181049″]I have a nose bumper related question: Do the NFL teams have to use the Riddell wordmark on Riddell helmets or could they use a team logo nose bumper on all helmets, you know for uniformity’s sake?[/quote]

Riddell helmets MUST have the Riddell wordmark on the bumper.[/quote]

It’s a Schutt. Hard to tell with the stripes sometimes but there’s no center ridge.

• Nolan | December 3, 2007 at 9:37 pm |

The Pats wear the “Adidas-remnants” with the navy pants.[/quote]

3 stripes doesn’t always = adidas. Sometimes stripes is just stripes, ya know?

• Mike Engle | December 3, 2007 at 9:42 pm |

The Pats wear the “Adidas-remnants” with the navy pants.[/quote]

3 stripes doesn’t always = adidas. Sometimes stripes is just stripes, ya know?[/quote]
    In this case, I most certainly think it did. Consider that when the Pats redesigned their uniforms the way they look now (just before or the year of the first Super Bowl), Adidas was the supplier. Now, normally, there are no logos on the socks, but the “design element” used to SCREAM Adidas in context. So why haven’t they changed? I’m not sure. Maybe you keep your Super Bowl winning uniform.

• Mike | December 3, 2007 at 9:46 pm |

I really like this Raven uniforms. Black is one of their primary colors, and heck, a raven IS black. It just works well for them.

• Paul Lukas | December 3, 2007 at 9:55 pm |

[quote comment=”181225″][quote comment=”181224″][quote comment=”181206″][quote comment=”181200″]Do the patriots always were striped socks?? forgive me, i never noticed before. Thinking maybe it is a tribute so mr taylor[/quote]
    The Pats wear the “Adidas-remnants” with the navy pants.[/quote]

Are all “three stripes” Adidas? Hell no. (See San Francisco 49ers, Joe Montana era.) Was this particular “three stripes” Adidas? In a not so subtle tone, yes.[/quote]

I disagree. Adidas outfitted several other teams at the same time they outfitted the Pats, and none of those other teams went triple-striped. Sometimes a stripe pattern is just a stripe pattern. And in this case, it looks really, really good.

• =bg= | December 3, 2007 at 10:01 pm |

The Pats wear the “Adidas-remnants” with the navy pants.[/quote]

I remember clearly, the three-stripe socks appeared when the Pats went to Adidas (after Starter?). Gotta be related.

On another note; Peter King of SI sez:

“One comment on those throwback jerseys, Jets, with apologies to Denzel Washington: Forget the Titans.”

• LI Phil | December 3, 2007 at 10:10 pm |

is peter king related to marty?

• Mike | December 3, 2007 at 10:19 pm |

• Kyle at IU | December 3, 2007 at 10:25 pm |

Im having trouble keeping track of all the black-circle-with-white-number decals these days. I know the 21, obviously, but what’s the 91 on the Pats’ helmets?

• LI Phil | December 3, 2007 at 10:30 pm |

the dark ’91’ sticker on the back of the patriot helmets is a tribute to deceased teammate Marquise Hill…Hill died earlier this year while jet-skiing without a life-jacket.

according to the boston globe, Hill was 24 and was well-respected both on the field and off…he spent considerable time helping with the rebuilding process in post-katrina new orleans

• Casey (Davis, CA) | December 3, 2007 at 10:46 pm |

• Casey (Davis, CA) | December 3, 2007 at 10:46 pm |

[quote comment=”181240″]I initially thought that Ed Reed may be wearing an orange mouthguard in honor of Sean Taylor and his days at Miami University. After a little research, it appears as though Reed typically wears the orange mouthpiece.[/quote]

University of Miami, NOT Miami University. My bad.

• dm00n [Doug] | December 3, 2007 at 10:51 pm |

[quote comment=”181235″]Wow…500 members now…just wondering, but that’s a lot of money, what do you do with all of it? I’m sure it’s put to good use, but where are our dollars going (besides paying for the domain)?[/quote]

Hopefully to servers, beer and rent.

• dm00n [Doug] | December 3, 2007 at 10:53 pm |

I used to hope they’d slap a lion decal on the helmet and just wear that. But I could see the case for the helmet and pants stripes (but then we’d be just about back to where we were before they put black in the Uni, so that isn’t bad.

• Nicole | December 3, 2007 at 10:57 pm |

From the “I just realized files, Wisconsin is wearing the 1941 BBall throwbacks on ESPN 2 right now. There’s only a couple of minutes left, so check out the hooped sock goodness!

• Nicole | December 3, 2007 at 10:58 pm |

I missed the close quotation marks there, I was so excited!

• Mr. Man | December 3, 2007 at 11:22 pm |

That pic of Lloyd Moseby with his new Powder Blue pants hiked up like an old man is great.

• LI Phil | December 3, 2007 at 11:47 pm |

that sound you just heard?

53 bottles of veuve clicquot being recorked

• Stevo | December 3, 2007 at 11:51 pm |

[quote comment=”181251″]that sound you just heard?

53 bottles of veuve clicquot being recorked[/quote]

• =bg= | December 3, 2007 at 11:52 pm |

Angry Homeless Man skates on that one.

• LI Phil | December 3, 2007 at 11:56 pm |

[quote comment=”181258″][quote comment=”181251″]that sound you just heard?

53 bottles of veuve clicquot being recorked[/quote]

That other sound you heard is the soft thud of Bart Scott single-handedly killing both his career and his coach’s.[/quote]

a play that will henceforth be known as the bart scott decision

• Mike Engle | December 3, 2007 at 11:58 pm |

[quote comment=”181262″][quote comment=”181258″][quote comment=”181251″]that sound you just heard?

53 bottles of veuve clicquot being recorked[/quote]

a play that will henceforth be known as the bart scott decision[/quote]
    If I thought that joke were lame, could I say I dreaded that one?

• Stevo | December 4, 2007 at 12:00 am |

53 bottles of veuve clicquot being recorked[/quote]

a play that will henceforth be known as the bart scott decision[/quote]

I don’t feel that what he did deserves its own catchy name, unless you call it “The Dumbest Thing A Player Has Ever Done”.

• LI Phil | December 4, 2007 at 12:04 am |

latest item for sale on eBay:

“yellow flag, bound by rubber band…slightly used…$27.50”

• todd krevanchi | December 4, 2007 at 12:09 am |

before its adjusted, check out his wiki

• Patrick | December 4, 2007 at 12:12 am |

[quote comment=”181210″][quote comment=”181203″][quote comment=”181187″]This has always been one of my favorite uniforms in the NFL. Anyone else dig them?[/quote]
    yawwwwwwwwwwwwwn[/quote]
    (Inconsequential, but fun to note: the 9-year old version of me used to love the fact that the Lions, who wear silver, played in the Pontiac Silverdome. Does any other team have an arena named for the uniform?)[/quote]

The story goes that when the owner of the Lions first saw the stadium from the air, he remarked that it was a silver dome. When it opened, it was called Pontiac Metropolitan Stadium. Thankfully, the Silverdome name stuck. As far as unis go, the Lions need to ditch the black alts, those are just hideous! They also need to redo the lion logo on the helmets. Local pundits say it looks like a wimpy lion jumping after bubbles. I say make it more ferocious looking, perhaps a front-facing roaring lion or an oblique angle ala the Jaguars.

• Marcus Hall, B-More, MD | December 4, 2007 at 12:22 am |

[quote comment=”181266″]before its adjusted, check out his wiki

Maybe i’m slow, but why would it be adjusted??

• LI Phil | December 4, 2007 at 12:27 am |

Maybe i’m slow, but why would it be adjusted??[/quote]

heh…it’s already been adjusted

about 10 minutes ago it said (paraphrasing here):

[quote]on december 3, 2007, bart scott became the most awesome player in history when he threw a flag into the stands[/quote]

/todd is god

• Marcus Hall, B-More, MD | December 4, 2007 at 12:33 am |

[quote comment=”181269″][quote comment=”181268″][quote comment=”181266″]before its adjusted, check out his wiki

Maybe i’m slow, but why would it be adjusted??[/quote]

heh…it’s already been adjusted

about 10 minutes ago it said (paraphrasing here):

/todd is god[/quote]

Definitely a frustrating loss, the all black uni’s used to mean guaranteed win but no such luck this year

• Stuby | December 4, 2007 at 12:44 am |

Don’t have time to read every comment today. I have already sent the restaurant conversion site to a bunch of people – it’s a great site. Now I have to go get pictures of the biker bar in my town that used to be a Burger King.

• […] Monday Morning Uni WatchBy Paul LukasBryan, whose wife went to high school with Clark, is still working on getting the full story on this one. • Also no photo, but several readers reported that Braylon Edwards was wearing white shoes and going bare-calved, NCAA-style, …Uni Watch – http://www.uniwatchb... […]

• Ryan | December 4, 2007 at 12:58 am |

[quote comment=”181185″][quote comment=”181083″]That’s purty, I don’t care who you are.

The Jets are the exception to the rule.[/quote]

I always liked the contrasting shoulder w/ stripe the Jets sport… That, the thickness of the pant stripes, and the fact that the jersey only contains two colors, make the monochrome look work ALOT better then on pretty much everybody else (minus all-white monochrome)

• Ryan | December 4, 2007 at 1:02 am |

The Pats wear the “Adidas-remnants” with the navy pants.[/quote]

Remember when Nike sued Adidas for putting the three stripes on soccer unis and claimed it as Adidas putting more Adidas marks on a uni then allowed?

Well, you should have been the defense lawyer for Adidas in that case

• Nolan | December 4, 2007 at 1:17 am |

[quote comment=”181277″][quote comment=”181224″][quote comment=”181206″][quote comment=”181200″]Do the patriots always were striped socks?? forgive me, i never noticed before. Thinking maybe it is a tribute so mr taylor[/quote]
    The Pats wear the “Adidas-remnants” with the navy pants.[/quote]

Well, you should have been the defense lawyer for Adidas in that case[/quote]
    I think the story you’re thinking about is in Tennis where the governing body was restricting the size of sponsor logos. Nike claimed the stripes were an adidas logo. No argument here.

But explain this 1990 49er uni. Sometimes 3 just looks better than two. It’s not always a logo or an extension of said logo.

• Nolan | December 4, 2007 at 1:20 am |

Here’s a blog entry about the tennis logo dispute.

• Jeff | December 4, 2007 at 12:19 pm |

Here is a link to Braylon Edwards photos. They’re not good, but they’re there.

• joe | December 4, 2007 at 12:22 pm |

Riddell helmets MUST have the Riddell wordmark on the bumper.[/quote]
    that explains why there were giants, against the bears, using Riddell’s and had not NY on the bumper.

• Ryan Dooley | January 16, 2008 at 9:51 pm |

I like how the barbarians wear their local club socks rather than their franchise socks,its cool that the stockings of a club like old boys or Rangiora could be seen at twickenham. Although the European based players wear major teams socks because their big teams are actually still clubs unlike the super 14 which is just made up of franchises i suppose.