Back to the Future

990483956_e0a338628e_m.jpg

New ESPN column today — here’s the link.

Meanwhile: We all know about the futuristic uniforms that most MLB teams wore in 1999. You may also recall that about six months ago I linked to a hilarious SportsCenter diatribe about said uniforms. That video mentions that the ’99 Turn Ahead the Clock program was actually based on a “futuristic” Royals/Mariners game from the previous season.

I hadn’t been aware of that game, or else I’d forgotten about it, until I saw it mentioned in the SportsCenter report. And I’d forgotten about it yet again until yesterday, when the pseudonymous TC (the same guy who brought us all the cool stuff in this report) sent me a two-minute video taken from a 1998 installment of This Week in Baseball, which provides lots of jaw-dropping footage from the Royal/Mariners game in question. TC has asked that the video not be YouTubed, but he’s allowed me to make screen grabs.

Some quick background: The game was played on July 18, 1998, at the Kingdome. It was a simple one-game promotion by the Mariners, much like today’s throwback games. And the time-warped year was supposedly 2027 (as opposed to the 1999 futuristic program, which was set in 2021, because the whole thing was sponsored by Century 21).

Now then:

• The Mariners’ design was at least vaguely similar to what they wore for the Century 21 promotion the following year. But the Royals’ concept of futurism underwent a big change from 1998 to 1999.

• The Royals used a standard rear jersey design, while the Mariners got a bit more creative (both of which are better than the vertical type treatment most teams tried in ’99).

• Both teams wore special helmets for the game. The M’s put big-ass uni numbers on the front and a logo decal on the earflap side, while the Royals did the reverse.

• Both teams looked like they stole their pants piping from the NFL.

• The M’s wore their jerseys untucked and their caps backward (except, apparently, for their pitchers).

• Junior Griffey wore silver shoes and a silver glove.

• Left out, as usual: the umpires.

This promotion strikes me as idiotic but harmless, which is more than you can say for the 1999 program, which was a corporate boondoggle for Century 21.

51009143.jpg

Photo Follow-Up: A few days ago I linked to the photo shown at left (here’s a larger view) and wondered what was up with Willie’s non-pinstriped Mets home uni (a design that didn’t yet exist in 1976, when the photo was taken). Quite a few readers suggested that Willie was actually wearing a road uniform (the Mets used the same script insignia on their home and road jerseys that year), and that the photo was simply overexposed, creating the illusion of a white home design. Okay, but then why was Hank wearing a road uniform as well? What circumstance could have brought both of them together in road attire in 1976 (when Mays was a National League coach and Aaron was still an active American League player)?

Reader Bill Tyrrell may have provided the answer. Check out the note he sent me last night:

The first game that I ever attended was the 1976 Hall of Fame Game in Cooperstown between the Mets and Brewers (August 9th). I vividly recall that both teams wore their road uniforms. According to Retrosheet, the Mets were coming back from a series in Pittsburgh, and Milwaukee had stopped in Cooperstown between series in Boston and Oakland [which would explain why both teams wore road attire]. … The Mets wore their pillbox caps that day. The only part that doesn’t figure is that the photo appears to have been taken at night — the HoF game was played during the day.

Faaaaascinating. And here’s a little postscript from Bill: “Although a coach at the time, Mays made a pinch-hitting appearance and singled. Aaron had one at bat, striking out swinging before we gave him a standing ovation.”

goletz.jpg

Membership News: After a few marathon data-entry sessions, I believe every membership enrollee is now listed on the active roster. The only exception is Patrick Ratliff (let me know which number and design you want, at your convenience). For everyone else, if you signed up in the past week and don’t see your name on the roster, let me know.

It’ll take a while to get all the new orders printed, laminated, and mailed, so bear with us — thanks. Meanwhile, we now have our first non-charter member, Sean Sandoloski, who signed up yesterday. And so the new era begins.

Also: Several early enrollees have mentioned they now regret their original card-design choices and wish they had asked for something else. You can request a new design when renewing your membership next year, of course. But if you’re suffering from a serious case of buyer’s remorse and can’t wait until then, existing members can get a redesigned card for $15 (which, I assure you, is a very fair price, given the amount of time and effort that go into creating these things).

As an aside, I should mention that Scott and I are both having a blast with this project. A lot of the requests you’ve given us have been really interesting and imaginative, and we usually learn something even from the simple requests. Thanks for making this endeavor such a success.

Tech Crap: If you’re reading this, you’ve successfully managed to access the site (duh). But I’m continuing to get sporadic reports of people who can’t log on — aftershocks from Wednesday’s server problem, apparently. If this happens to you, or if you hear of it happening to someone else, try googling “Uni Watch” and then entering the site via the Google link. If that doesn’t work, type the site’s full URL into a fresh browser window (including the “http://www” at the beginning) instead of using a bookmark or a shortened version of the URL.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Reebok is planning to open an hockey-themed store (with thanks to Neal Schaffer). … David Conely notes with digust that KG left the stickers on his cap when throwing out the first pitch at Fenway the other day. And several readers noted with even greater disgust that they gave him a home jersey with his name on the back — sacrilege! … Great article here about Penn State’s equipment manager. Click on the photo for a cool slideshow (nice find by Bryan Koval). … The 49ers’ memorial helmet decal for Bill Walsh will look like this. … More info on those new Utah hoops unis here (as forwarded by Bryan Packer), and larger images here. … This year’s Little League World Series uniforms are shown in this PDF file (nice find by Tony Lombardo). … “Snapped some interesting shots on a recent trip to Graceland,” writes Patrick Woody. “Elvis was a big sports fan, and his entourage would play football and baseball games in full uniforms. Note the stirrups with the football pants, which could be accurate — or just the result of the exhibit curator being clueless.” … Big Blazers fan Clark Farrand notes that first-round pick Greg Oden was given a number-inclusive jersey for his NBA Rookies photo shoot but second-rounders Taurean Green and Josh McRoberts had to go number-free. “I guess I kind of understand, in that since they haven’t earned roster spots yet, they haven’t been assigned numbers,” writes Farrand. “But wouldn’t you think that if they were considered good enough to be sent to the photo shoot, they would at least give them temporary or expected numbers in case they do make the roster?” … According to a small item buried on this page, Marlon Anderson wanted to wear No. 8 with the Mets, but that number, while not officially retired, is out of circulation, in deference to Gary Carter. … New uniforms this year for University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Further details, and a link to a photo gallery, here (with thanks to Ronnie Poore). … New design for Tulsa as well (additional view here, with thanks to Tod Meisner, who also reports that Rice’s new helmet will look like this). … And new Air Force unis too (additional pics and info here). … Brandon Hall turned up a site featuring some amazing vintage NFL posters. For the full selection, look here and here. … Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: I’d forgotten that the 1976 pillbox cap trope also extended to the World Series umpires. … Riley Anderson reports that plate ump Kerwin Danley worked the first half of Tuesday night’s Angels/Mariners game with his fly unzipped. No photos yet, but Vince is working on it. … The Nationals had Walter Johnson’s grandson throw out the first pitch last night and then wore throwback caps, which I thought looked pretty good.

204 comments to Back to the Future

• ADD | August 3, 2007 at 8:34 am |

• Taha | August 3, 2007 at 8:52 am |

Those little League jerseys look nice. What is EMEA? I think E is for Europe, ME for Middle East, but what is the other A? Why is their jersey Purple? Who picks the colors for the different teams? I can understand the colors of Canada, Japan, and Mexico, (related to national/flag colors) but why does the northwest for example get green and gold? Were these colors arbitrarily assigned?

• Jason G. | August 3, 2007 at 8:52 am |

I don’t know why Rice ever went away from this. That R is somewhat confusing to look at.

• KW | August 3, 2007 at 8:55 am |

Most colors for LLWS are just arbitrarily assigned by LLWS and Russell (the company responsible for the uniforms)…get ready for all of the logo creep in Williamsport this year.

• Michael Churchill | August 3, 2007 at 8:56 am |

EMEA = Europe / Middle East / Africa.

It’s a common acronym used by global corporations.

• Brady | August 3, 2007 at 8:56 am |

• Pat | August 3, 2007 at 8:58 am |

The Red Sox didn’t have a “Turn Ahead the Clock” uniform did they?

• Matt | August 3, 2007 at 8:58 am |

Some of them weren’t terrible…the Brewers’ edition had a certain kitschy cool to it.

And on the topic of the Brewers, that road jersey that Aaron is wearing is amazing…why don’t they bring that one back?

• simulated steve | August 3, 2007 at 9:01 am |

After viewing all the “large” exploded logo uni’s all I can surmise is that either baseball believes we are all going to be close to blind in 2021 or we will be sitting 600 feet away from the field.

I remember when the White Sox had the fans vote on thier new Uni’s back in the 80s which gave us the awful =SOX= attire. Does anyone have a screen shot of the Uni’s that lost? Paul have you ever done an article on the UNIs that left the drawing board but never made it to the field?

–feeling curious today.

• Eriq Jaffe | August 3, 2007 at 9:08 am |

• Eriq Jaffe | August 3, 2007 at 9:09 am |

…oh, yeah…the Tigers would have worn these:

• Pat | August 3, 2007 at 9:10 am |

[quote comment=”127879″][quote comment=”127874″]The Red Sox didn’t have a “Turn Ahead the Clock” uniform did they?[/quote]Yes, they did.

They were due to wear them on 9/18/99 against Detroit, but they never arrived due to Hurricane Floyd.[/quote]

Shameful. Thanks for the info, but… shameful. I’m embarrassed for them.

• Jason G. | August 3, 2007 at 9:11 am |

[quote comment=”127881″]…oh, yeah…the Tigers would have worn these:

Awesome! Stirrups make a comeback in the future.

• Eriq Jaffe | August 3, 2007 at 9:20 am |

[quote comment=”127877″]I remember when the White Sox had the fans vote on thier new Uni’s back in the 80s which gave us the awful =SOX= attire. Does anyone have a screen shot of the Uni’s that lost?[/quote]Ask and ye shall, unfortunately, receive.

And, yes, Paul has done a column about unis that never saw the light of day. Even has a nice color picture of some of those Sox jerseys.

• Matt B | August 3, 2007 at 9:23 am |

The “eggplant” on the Brewers’ TATC jersey was actually the team’s logo from its minor league incarnation.

And I seriously hope all the teams actually wear the monstrosities when 2027 finally rolls around.

• Pat | August 3, 2007 at 9:25 am |

[quote comment=”127881″]…oh, yeah…the Tigers would have worn these:

That’s actually pretty nice… compared to the rest.

• Billy D | August 3, 2007 at 9:25 am |

• Garrett | August 3, 2007 at 9:25 am |
  • Eriq Jaffe | August 3, 2007 at 9:28 am |

“They are.”

• Ian K | August 3, 2007 at 9:29 am |

Actually, judging by the mannequin wearing a “NIKE TOWN” sweatshirt in the foreground, looks like this map is in a Nike store, which would explain the logo creep.

• Jason G. | August 3, 2007 at 9:34 am |

I wonder how they came up with some of those boundaries. A picture like this always reminds me how big the lack of teams in the Midwest is and was. Before the Rockies and D’Backs there were no teams between the Rangers and the west coast teams. Seems odd to me. Very cool picture indeed.

• Brian | August 3, 2007 at 9:34 am |

I think the Rangers use that logo on their BP jerseys

• Hex | August 3, 2007 at 9:36 am |

• Jonathon | August 3, 2007 at 9:40 am |

the nats 1927 hats had a red brim, but “dressed to the nines” shows the 1927 home hats having a blue brim. did they change the brim color to make it fit better with the current home uni?

• rob | August 3, 2007 at 9:41 am |

• B.G. | August 3, 2007 at 9:45 am |

After viewing the LLWS unis, I noticed the Americas have the ugly pit stains on them. But the Internationals don’t–they are a bit different.
    I thought the colors were a bit off also. I looked at the shirt for the SouthEast and immediately thought SouthWest because of the gold and red colors. When I saw the Great Lakes shirts, I thought they should have been blue, instead of gold and black. Oh well…

• Mike V. | August 3, 2007 at 9:46 am |

[quote comment=”127893″][quote comment=”127888″]That’s actually pretty nice… compared to the rest.[/quote]The best quote out of that debacle was from George Steinbrenner, when asked why the Yankees weren’t wearing the jerseys they’d be wearing in 2021:

“They are.”[/quote]
    Not a fan of Steinbrenner or the Yankees, but i am always a fan of sharp wit.

• johnt | August 3, 2007 at 9:47 am |

The same person who thought that the design was good!

• Teebz | August 3, 2007 at 9:50 am |

[quote comment=”127889″]A hockey store in New York? I think a much better choice would be somewhere like the Mall of America in Minneapolis, MN. More hockey fans and lots of tourists.[/quote]

The NHL head offices are located in NYC, and the Rangers and, to a lesser extent, the Islanders, Sabres, and Devils have a pretty good following in New York.

I don’t even have to mention the fans of the Flyers, Penguins, and Bruins flocking to NYC for a game either.

Ok, maybe not the Bruins, but the Red Sox fans who support the Bruins may stop there. :o)

• Flip | August 3, 2007 at 9:53 am |

I like the Nationals’ throwback caps. They work much better with the jerseys. That said, I REALLY like the regular cursive W, but it’s an awful match with the strange, three-dimensional Nationals logo. Serious consideration should be given to a better match.

With the announcements concerning the new Chattanooga and Air Force uniforms, I wondered with a post late last night about the status of the Iowa State contest. Anybody know anything?

• simulated steve | August 3, 2007 at 9:57 am |

My guess is some guy in creative dreamt it up over lots of 420 and watching Xanadu on his beta.

• Jason G. | August 3, 2007 at 9:59 am |

• Mark in Shiga | August 3, 2007 at 10:00 am |

I really like those Seattle future jerseys with the name below the number. The font looks great.

I’m a Cubs fan too and remember wishing at the time that they were participating. Maybe a logo with a big giant ferocious bear throwing a baseball.

Anyone know if the numbers were sewn on or ironed? Especially on the vertical-name jersey backs, the silver material looks screened.

• SWC Susan (aka Tex) | August 3, 2007 at 10:04 am |

It finally happened… the logo creep is larger than the team name. ….sigh….

• Anthony Verna | August 3, 2007 at 10:08 am |

Where is this map located?[/quote]It’s like a folk art version of MLB’s Blackout Map.[/quote]

Four things about the map:

1) My brain exploded when I first looked at it.

2) Nice to see how expansive the Nats broadcast is compared to the Orioles.

4) Upstate NY is where you’d see Yanks and Red Sox games.

These maps are confusing. The NFL blackout maps are worse.

• Saru | August 3, 2007 at 10:09 am |

• Patrick | August 3, 2007 at 10:14 am |

Looks like all of northern New Jersey is colored Mets orange to me.

• B.G. | August 3, 2007 at 10:14 am |

Looks like a someone playing a trumpet.

• anthony | August 3, 2007 at 10:16 am |

re: WILLIE MAYS/HANK AARON PHOTO

My cousin used to work for the Daily News photo department in the 1970’s and would sometimes point out that certain colors didn’t translate well in black & white (uniforms, clothing, detailed signs, etc.) that we would see in the paper from time to time.

For example, those of you who are familiar with Architectural drawing know that the color “non-repo blue” is very similar to the Mets pinstripes and therefor would seem to ‘disappear’. In addition, the color red would sometimes appear black in these photos.

just my 2¢…

• dw | August 3, 2007 at 10:16 am |

Paul, are you really sure the M’s Turn Ahead The Clock day was in 1998? Because I recall it being in 1997, for two reasons:

1. It was tied into the M’s 20th anniversary in 1997
    2. I remember the game (and the hat giveaways), and I was out of the country in 1998

Let me dig through the Times/P-I sites and see if I can find the relevant news story.

• nif | August 3, 2007 at 10:18 am |

Four things about the map:

1) My brain exploded when I first looked at it.

2) Nice to see how expansive the Nats broadcast is compared to the Orioles.

4) Upstate NY is where you’d see Yanks and Red Sox games.

These maps are confusing. The NFL blackout maps are worse.[/quote]

i dont agree with that map, first off, the redsox following does not extend into ny at all, esp not upstate, and the yankees following is in at least half of CT maybe more. CT is after all a suburb of NYC

• Robert | August 3, 2007 at 10:18 am |

It looks like a guy playing a trumpet.

• Saru | August 3, 2007 at 10:18 am |

• Wade | August 3, 2007 at 10:20 am |

Not sure if this was mentioned yesterday or not, but Oklahoma is putting the players’ names back on the jerseys.

• dw | August 3, 2007 at 10:25 am |

Nope, you’re right, I’m wrong. Definitely 1998. I don’t know why I thought they did something like that for the 20th anniversary.

• Hunter | August 3, 2007 at 10:25 am |

[quote comment=”127881″]…oh, yeah…the Tigers would have worn these:

Strange. I bought a ton of the TATC jerseys from Russell, and here are photos of the TATC jersey that I thought Detroit would have worn:

• jim | August 3, 2007 at 10:34 am |

link to article about Canucks new jerseys. Secret photo shoot today.
    Anybody have any more info?

• Teebz | August 3, 2007 at 10:41 am |

[quote comment=”127949″]link to article about Canucks new jerseys. Secret photo shoot today.
    Anybody have any more info?

From what I was told yesterday by a media member who was not in attendance but had sent a representative:

The Canucks would allow reporters to see the new threads, but they were not to publish anything until given the green light by the Canucks.

Basically, it was the same thing that the NHL asked of Paul when he went to see the All-Star jersey unveiling last season.

• interlockingtc | August 3, 2007 at 10:44 am |

Those vintage NFL posters from ’68 to ’70 lined the walls of my bedroom as a kid. I used to order them from an advertisement in the back of Sports Illustrated. The Bengals was my favorite…horizontal, virtually all orange, and most of the composition negative space. Wonderful.

• Daren L | August 3, 2007 at 10:51 am |

• Pat | August 3, 2007 at 10:52 am |

I know during the Homerun Derby there were a couple of non-players on the field with that sticker still on whatever hat they were wearing.[/quote]

I think those new style hats with the huge stickers are kind of funny. The first one I bought had the huge sticker with just the gold circle in the middle, it was on the same sticker. Was there some sort of backlash at New Era taking away the gold circle? The next one I got had the huge sticker but the circle in the middle was clear with one of the gold circle stickers under it so that when you took the big one off the gold was still there.

Kind of stupid if you ask me. By the way, I still hate the new style hats.

• TK | August 3, 2007 at 10:59 am |

Capital Punishment (a Nationals blog) points out that while the 1927 throwback caps looked good (and I definitely agree, having watched on TV last night, and I’d like to see them more often), they’re also wrong. Compare to Dressed to the Nines’ page on the Senators, and you can see that they wore blue-billed caps in the ’20s, not red.

Granted, I think the Nationals made the right asthetic choice in sticking with red, invoking the ’20s era without clashing with the current unis, but at the cost of accuracy.

• Jason G. | August 3, 2007 at 11:00 am |

[quote comment=”127958″][quote comment=”127920″][quote comment=”127899″]Along with others I noticed KG wearing the stickers on his hat. I know that some people (not Uni Watch fans I presume) like to keep the big gold New Era sticker, but on the new style authentics there’s the big oversticker on the brim that advertises the new features. Has anyone seen someone actually wearing a cap with this huge monstrosity still on it?[/quote]

Kind of stupid if you ask me. By the way, I still hate the new style hats.[/quote]

Yea, I thought I liked them better than the old ones at first but they are way too big. The crowns are huge and look ridiculous. I’m also fairly new to the “surgery” of the old hats and never realized how comfortable they were when worked properly. Wool=Good. Polyester=Bad.

• Josh | August 3, 2007 at 11:02 am |

Re: Reebok NHL store in NYC. Sorry, Billy D, but I have to contest your argument about having the Reebok hockey store in MN due to the “more hockey fans and lots of tourists”. While there may be a greater percentage of people that are hockey fans out there, the sheer volume of people – locals and tourists – will far surpass anything out there. Besides, if you want it to be BIG, where better than in NYC. Like Teebz mentioned, there’s plenty of local teams, strong local fanbase, and NYC is, from what I understand, a pretty big town. :)

• Bendert | August 3, 2007 at 11:02 am |

I think Washington made a big mistake in only using throwback hats for one of the greatest pitchers of all-time. It was nice to honor him, but even now when i think of Washington baseball I think of the Big Train.

• Ian K | August 3, 2007 at 11:03 am |

[quote comment=”127957″]Did the Cincinnati Reds ever wear ‘Turn Ahead the Clock’ jerseys? I don’t think they were mentioned in the SportCenter report as being one of the teams who opted out, yet I have never seen a Reds ‘future’ jersey.[/quote]

Last time we discussed this there was a short list of teams that did not participate. I know the Yankees and Dodgers did not, and possibly the Reds. Were there more?

• Purple Brigade | August 3, 2007 at 11:04 am |

[quote comment=”127945″]I don’t know if somebody was reading Uni Watch, but Strange Maps (a cool blog) has a piece and comments on the Niketown baseball map.[/quote]

Nike would have the data (to create such a map,) based on merchandise sales.

• Gabe | August 3, 2007 at 11:05 am |

Random question that does NOT have to do with the Bucs’ practice jerseys:

• Matt | August 3, 2007 at 11:06 am |

[quote comment=”127873″]Okay, being an Oklahoma native (and advid Sooners fan), I am still a little concerned about the background of the Tulsa University football photos. Where are they practicing (or holding this photo shoot – whatever it is), someone’s backyard? A vacant lot down the street? Is there really that big a difference in the facilities at a private school like Tulsa and the public universities of the Aggies and the Sooners? Wow, I think I played on a better field than that in Elementary school (although the sand burs were a bitch to pull out of your arms and legs after each play).[/quote]

Being a TU student I can tell you that they practice in the stadium. I have no idea where that picture was taken. In the picture of Paul Smith (#12) if you look in the background you can barely sand colored building, that would be some building on TU’s campus.

• Dom | August 3, 2007 at 11:13 am |

• Brad | August 3, 2007 at 11:13 am |

What does the “U, Us, Muss” on the Utah uni’s mean?

Odd.

• Paul Lukas | August 3, 2007 at 11:15 am |

[quote comment=”127969″]Random question that does NOT have to do with the Bucs’ practice jerseys:

Can anyone (Paul included) tell me about the stirrup hanging from the “W” in the Uniwatch logo? Is it from a particular team? Does it represent a particular era? Anything?[/quote]

Just represents Uni Watch, and the glory of striped athletic hosiery.

• Brad | August 3, 2007 at 11:18 am |

• Christopher | August 3, 2007 at 11:20 am |

RE: The Countries of Baseball Map…

No way is New Orleans (all of Louisiana?) anyone’s territory. Especially considering they allowed for the “Unincorporated”.

2. Follow a completely random team.

Nice map, next time do your research…

• Al Gruwell | August 3, 2007 at 11:26 am |

Re: the Mariners/Royals future game, the umpires are definitely in on the act. That attire has never been worn by MLB umps. Back then, it would have been navy, red (very ugly) or light blue. That looks like it has a durene-like sheen.

• Jason | August 3, 2007 at 11:26 am |

[quote comment=”127965″]I think Washington made a big mistake in only using throwback hats for one of the greatest pitchers of all-time.

The new college football jerseys are all right, I actually really like Tulsa’s look even though the Nike insignia is huge, but then again I might be biased because my high school colors were basically the same. I didn’t like Rice or Air Force though, Rice should have never changed their helmets and the AFA just looks like they are trying too hard.[/quote]

The Nats a slated to wear Homestead Grays unis this weekend, probably the reason they just went with the hats.

As far as the red bill vs. blue bill debate, the mlb.com shop has red

• Anthony M | August 3, 2007 at 11:28 am |

[quote comment=”127979″]RE: The Countries of Baseball Map…

Nice map, next time do your research…[/quote]

• Anthony M | August 3, 2007 at 11:31 am |

[quote comment=”127975″]What does the “U, Us, Muss” on the Utah uni’s mean?

Odd.[/quote]

I think their slogan is “U, Us and the Muss”

• Christopher | August 3, 2007 at 11:33 am |

[quote comment=”127983″][quote comment=”127979″]RE: The Countries of Baseball Map…

Nice map, next time do your research…[/quote]

Chill out. I’m sure they didn’t conduct a scientific study to determine people’s favourite teams in every state of the union. It’s just a fun map, not the basis of a 3rd grade textbook.[/quote]

Well, I’m not throwing things all over the office about it…

But, hey… just like the media being east-coast centric even in non-serious bits… people do scrutinize this sort of thing.

And I think its fair… you’re sort of putting a blanket statement on a whole group of people.

• Purple Brigade | August 3, 2007 at 11:34 am |

[quote comment=”127979″]RE: The Countries of Baseball Map…

Nice map, next time do your research…[/quote]

1. Follow a team from where they grew up.
    That’s pretty much every region.

2. Follow a completely random team.
    The Astros are a completely random team.

• Thorold Blair | August 3, 2007 at 11:34 am |

[quote comment=”127978″]On the niketown map, shouldn’t there be a little Nationals spot in Montreal? Maybe it’s there, but only visible with a magnifying glass.[/quote]

If they didn’t care about the team when they were IN montreal, they surely don’t care about them now!

• Christopher | August 3, 2007 at 11:35 am |

Hey TC: excellent find!

Can I twist your arm just a tiny bit to put the video up somewhere we can all view/download it?

I think it would be a treasure!

• Christopher | August 3, 2007 at 11:38 am |

Nice map, next time do your research…[/quote]

1. Follow a team from where they grew up.
    That’s pretty much every region.

The Astros are a completely random team.[/quote]

Of course every region has people who follow the team they grew up in. I’m saying it is the predominant thing here and many other places.

Compare that to Iowa… no MLB team, but the predominant team is the Cubs.

• Purple Brigade | August 3, 2007 at 11:41 am |

Nice map, next time do your research…[/quote]

1. Follow a team from where they grew up.
    That’s pretty much every region.

The Astros are a completely random team.[/quote]

Compare that to Iowa… no MLB team, but the predominant team is the Cubs.[/quote]

Did you do your research on that one? ;)

• Saru | August 3, 2007 at 11:41 am |

It looks like a guy playing a trumpet.

Thanks–seems obvious now. I was having “is it an old ugly woman or beautiful young woman” look at it.

Tacky enough to work for me–especially if they put a number in it.

• joe | August 3, 2007 at 11:46 am |

looks like a horn player for a logo

• Eric | August 3, 2007 at 11:46 am |

• johnt | August 3, 2007 at 11:53 am |

[quote comment=”127974″]On espn this morning they showed Vanden Hurk of the Marlins nameplate & how they fixed it and finally made his last name with a space. I got a screenshot.

Watched the game last night and the announcers were making a big deal of that while he was warming up.

• Will | August 3, 2007 at 11:53 am |

Looks like the Elvi are wearing football pants with a softball jersey!

• Al Gruwell | August 3, 2007 at 11:55 am |

The Saints poster appears to have Al Hirt, legendary Nawlins trumpeter, in the center of the player’s chest. He was an original owner of the Saints, though a minority owner.
    I had similar posters in my room as a kid, but they were baseball. Very colorful, Nieman-esque.

• Luke Larson | August 3, 2007 at 11:55 am |

maybe mlb gets purchased by the nfl between now and then.

• Christopher | August 3, 2007 at 11:56 am |

Nice map, next time do your research…[/quote]

1. Follow a team from where they grew up.
    That’s pretty much every region.

The Astros are a completely random team.[/quote]

Did you do your research on that one? ;)[/quote]

Yep. Lived in Chicago, driven through Iowa countless times…

More Cubs gear than any other team, by far.

• Christopher | August 3, 2007 at 11:57 am |

[quote comment=”128002″][quote comment=”127901″]who’s idea was it that in the future sleeves should be banished from all jerseys?[/quote]

maybe mlb gets purchased by the nfl between now and then.[/quote]

Global warming?

;)

• Joseph | August 3, 2007 at 11:57 am |

anyone have any pics of the braves TATC unis?

• Paul Lukas | August 3, 2007 at 11:58 am |

For those who like to keep tabs on such things: I just added 14 new designs to the membership card gallery.

• Luke Larson | August 3, 2007 at 12:00 pm |

[quote comment=”127939″][quote comment=”127935″]On those old-style posters linked to, what is on the Saints’ player’s chest? And why is the uniform black and white? Did they not have an official color scheme yet (as a new team)? Very trippy compared to the LeRoy Neiman-like posters of most other teams.[/quote]
    Looks like a someone playing a trumpet.[/quote]

at first, i thought it was some kind of crazy off-color globe, but i think that you are correct.

• dw438 | August 3, 2007 at 12:01 pm |

Hey, the Mets’#8 should be retired, not only for Carter but for L.P. Berra as well …

• dw438 | August 3, 2007 at 12:03 pm |

Besides, if you want it to be BIG, where better than in NYC.

Like Teebz mentioned, there’s plenty of local teams, strong local fanbase, and NYC is, from what I understand, a pretty big town. :)[/quote]
    Yep, Reebok will give it a marketing push, try to get people in sweaters in front of Fox News and the Today Show …
    I still get my stuff from Cosby’s @ MSG.

• Garrett | August 3, 2007 at 12:06 pm |

This link is exactly where I found the picture of the map. If there are any other geographers or spatially interested people, that site is fascinating. I’ve got it bookmarked as “Kick Ass Map Site”.

• Mets Fan in Chicago | August 3, 2007 at 12:12 pm |

• Dane | August 3, 2007 at 12:12 pm |

The NHL and Reebok have placed their store just a few blocks away from the NBA store.

Location, location, location…

• Valjean | August 3, 2007 at 12:15 pm |

The same person who thought that the design was good!

I have a vague recollection from the early turn-ahead days that Junior Griffey and A-Rod were the instigators and even designers of the 1998 delights, but I haven’t been able to Google up the info. I also recall they both particularly liked the backward cap idea — fine in the nasty ol’ Kingdome, but a tad inpractical for the future sunny outdoors.

• Teebz | August 3, 2007 at 12:34 pm |

[quote comment=”128015″]here’s some more info on “Turn Ahead the Clock” games.[/quote]

Great YouTube video at the bottom of that page of the TATC uniforms.

• Dom | August 3, 2007 at 12:36 pm |

heres all the turn ahead the clock jerseys

• Paul Lukas | August 3, 2007 at 12:41 pm |

Today’s ESPN column is up.

• simulated steve | August 3, 2007 at 12:43 pm |

[quote comment=”128020″]heres all the turn ahead the clock jerseys

Does anyone have a pic of the white sox jersey???

• Derrick | August 3, 2007 at 12:44 pm |

I remember those old Damac posters, I had quite a few of them in my room when I was a kid. Thanks for reminding me about those!

• DenverGregg | August 3, 2007 at 1:03 pm |

Just trying to close out the link.

• Ed | August 3, 2007 at 1:39 pm |

[quote comment=”127934″]3) Columbus, Ohio, has “no” blackout – as it rightfully should be split between the Reds and Indians.[/quote]

I believe you’re mistaken in reading the map – if I read it correctly, Columbus is blacked out for Cleveland, Cincinnati, AND Pittsburgh.

ed

• Casey Hart | August 3, 2007 at 1:42 pm |

• furrymunsters | August 3, 2007 at 1:42 pm |

Four things about the map:

1) My brain exploded when I first looked at it.

2) Nice to see how expansive the Nats broadcast is compared to the Orioles.

4) Upstate NY is where you’d see Yanks and Red Sox games.

These maps are confusing. The NFL blackout maps are worse.[/quote]

i dont agree with that map, first off, the redsox

following does not extend into ny at all, esp not upstate, and the yankees following is in at least half of CT maybe more. CT is after all a suburb of NYC[/quote]

• TOG | August 3, 2007 at 1:42 pm |

I remember (and am wondering if anyone has photos?) the turn ahead the clock promotion at Shea.

The scoreboard animations were rendered like something out of a Star Trek episode – especially the Rickey Hendreson animation (with Shrek-like ears on Rickey…)…

Hilarious, insulting and frivilous…perfection!

• UW justin | August 3, 2007 at 1:47 pm |

Is it just me or are people taking this map a little too seriously? I’m sure a lot of scientific research was conducted so it’s really beyond debate. [/sarcasm]

Seriously, it’s a silly map. Who cares if it’s got an area incorrectly represented in your opinion. I’m pretty sure it was never meant to be accurate…

• Dean | August 3, 2007 at 1:52 pm |

I like the little league unis, I also like how they change color combos year to year. Being from Indiana I always like to see what the Great Lakes region gets and I really like the black and gold. The U Us Muss on Utah’s new uni is the slogan used by the student section I believe so they decided to add it to the uni as a shout out to the student section.

• Purple Brigade | August 3, 2007 at 1:57 pm |

Nice map, next time do your research…[/quote]

1. Follow a team from where they grew up.
    That’s pretty much every region.

The Astros are a completely random team.[/quote]

Did you do your research on that one? ;)[/quote]

Yep. Lived in Chicago, driven through Iowa countless times…

More Cubs gear than any other team, by far.

Compare that to New Orleans. Saints gear, LSU gear, barely any baseball gear at all… and Houston is no more dominant than any other team.[/quote]

That makes sense. Iowa is right next to Illinois and is also where the Cubs Triple A affiliate is.

Hey wait a minute … Isn’t Louisiana right next to Texas? And wasn’t the New Orleans Zephyrs the Triple A affiliate of the Houston Astros from 1997 through 2005?

I could be wrong. I should probably do my research.

• team cinnamon | August 3, 2007 at 1:58 pm |

Cap sleeves have NO place in professional sports!

(along with the color purple)

• John Baranowski | August 3, 2007 at 2:03 pm |

second, what in the blue hell is a hockey themed starbucks?! you know what a hockey themed starbucks is? a TIM HORTONS! no, in fact i take that back, because comparing the two without saying that timmy’s is a bajillion times better and a whole lot cheaper is blasphemy!

• Christopher | August 3, 2007 at 2:05 pm |

[quote comment=”128021″]Today’s ESPN column is up.[/quote]

I thought it would be about the Bucs new typeface.

You know they have a new typeface this year, right?

• Eriq Jaffe | August 3, 2007 at 2:08 pm |

But of course!

• Eriq Jaffe | August 3, 2007 at 2:09 pm |

No, really, I do!

• Shaftman | August 3, 2007 at 2:19 pm |

[quote comment=”128042″][quote comment=”128021″]Today’s ESPN column is up.[/quote]

I thought it would be about the Bucs new typeface.

You know they have a new typeface this year, right?[/quote]

Nope, it’s about the NHL wearing white at home this season. [/sarcasm]

• Anthony Verna | August 3, 2007 at 2:20 pm |

[quote comment=”128041″]if you guys love that nike map, you’ll love this, because it’s based solely on people’s responses. way cool.

[/quote]

Now that’s cool.

• Valjean | August 3, 2007 at 2:22 pm |

Today’s ESPN column is up.

I thought it would be about the Bucs new typeface.

You know they have a new typeface this year, right?

Since you didn’t include a sarcasm tag, I’ll assume you’re serious: scroll to the last bullet in Paul’s column for your answer …

• JoeT | August 3, 2007 at 2:24 pm |

[quote comment=”128039″][quote comment=”128003″][quote comment=”127993″][quote comment=”127992″][quote comment=”127988″][quote comment=”127979″]RE: The Countries of Baseball Map…

Nice map, next time do your research…[/quote]

1. Follow a team from where they grew up.
    That’s pretty much every region.

The Astros are a completely random team.[/quote]

Did you do your research on that one? ;)[/quote]

Yep. Lived in Chicago, driven through Iowa countless times…

More Cubs gear than any other team, by far.

I could be wrong. I should probably do my research.[/quote]

You are very correct about Louisiana but what i dont understand is the rangers dominance of texas. most of southern texas down to the rio grande is astros country.

• Hunter | August 3, 2007 at 2:25 pm |

Here’s a photo of the actual Sox TATC jersey:

• Paul P | August 3, 2007 at 2:26 pm |

Looks like Petey actual retained the lesson Paul taught him last year with that letter and check. He’s got his socks pulled up high at rehab as seen in this video (bottom right of page)

• Glenn | August 3, 2007 at 2:29 pm |

Pretty laissez faire for a guy who spends his time monitoring the uniform police blotter.

Nice, Paul.

• Wade | August 3, 2007 at 2:38 pm |

[quote comment=”128034″]Sad, sad news. Carolina has gone from the college football team with one of the best uniforms (outside of the traditional powers with awesome long-standing designs) to a team with great jerseys and helmets and stupid pants. (You have to click on the “Media Day Photo Gallery” link and click through a few non-uni-related photos.[/quote]

I would agree. It looks like they have butter knives on the side of their pants. Either go with plain white or stick with three stripes.

• Nate | August 3, 2007 at 2:48 pm |

That’s a pretty cool map. Neat art project.

And I agree with the guy who said half of Connecticut is Yankees fans, and half is Red Sox fans.

It was Steve Rushin, great columnist for SI, who wrote about Connecticut’s split, referring to it, not as a Mason-Dixon Line, but as the “Munson-Nixon Line.”

Excellent thought! Though now it’s out of date…

• tom | August 3, 2007 at 2:58 pm |

wen the rangers were in the playoffs this year we had stautes wearing hockey jerseys.every were u looked was red white and blue for the rangers.so i think we have quite a few hockey fans and alot more tourists.

• Doug | August 3, 2007 at 3:03 pm |

Off topic……………does anyone know anything about a store called Alumni Hall? They specialize in retro sports apparel. They are putting a store here in Tuscaloosa and I can’t find any info online about it.

• Tim F. | August 3, 2007 at 3:08 pm |

I’m a Bengal fan longing for this look.

• Mike Engle | August 3, 2007 at 3:12 pm |

I saw this eBay auction for a Tampa Rays hat that I’ve never seen before. I’ll guess that it is an alternate from the inaugural season. Anybody have game photos of this hat in action?

• ET | August 3, 2007 at 3:18 pm |

The Omaha Royals wore Orange jerseys yesterday (Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Night).
    This is the best pic I could find:

• Luke Larson | August 3, 2007 at 3:19 pm |

Excellent thought! Though now it’s out of date…[/quote]

i think that the munsonnixon line is now somewhere between houston and cleveland.

• Dave Kendrick | August 3, 2007 at 3:23 pm |

My son the goalie actually wore #(pi) in a hockey game last year. He was filling in for another goalie and could not wear his usual #1. So we took some tape and put #(pi) on a blank. Not the first time, I’m sure, but I thought it was funny. In one game a couple years ago a teammate forgot his regular jersey and wore “square root of 2″ using black tape to make the square root sign over the #2 on the jersey.

• Mark in Cincy | August 3, 2007 at 3:32 pm |

[quote comment=”128058″]The Bengals have posted their Jersey Colors for the 2007/2008 season. There will unfortunately be three appearances of the Orange jersey. Of course, picking the worst of their three jerseys is like picking the biggest geek at a comic book convention.

I’m a Bengal fan longing for this look.[/quote]
    Fellow Bengal fan here Tim, but I long for this look . . . still waiting to find the perfrct throwback to this era

• furrymunsters | August 3, 2007 at 3:34 pm |

[quote comment=”128009″][quote comment=”127964″]Re: Reebok NHL store in NYC. Sorry, Billy D, but I have to contest your argument about having the Reebok hockey store in MN due to the “more hockey fans and lots of tourists”.

Besides, if you want it to be BIG, where better than in NYC.

I still get my stuff from Cosby’s @ MSG.[/quote]
    And get way overcharged from Cosby’s. Cosby’s was a great store a few years ago with plenty of pro jerseys hanging from the ceiling. Now they have next to nothing in the store and it is sad.

• Randy | August 3, 2007 at 3:37 pm |

I’m a Bengal fan longing for this look.[/quote]

Love that the Bengals are wearing the “we-never-lose-when-we-wear-these” orange jerseys against the Colts and Pats. Just wish we’d wear them at home against the Steelers. A guaranteed win over them would make me quite happy.

• Eric | August 3, 2007 at 3:38 pm |

Four things about the map:

1) My brain exploded when I first looked at it.

2) Nice to see how expansive the Nats broadcast is compared to the Orioles.

4) Upstate NY is where you’d see Yanks and Red Sox games.

These maps are confusing. The NFL blackout maps are worse.[/quote]

i dont agree with that map, first off, the redsox

I am a Red Sox fan and I live in NYC. There is a bar in Manhatten on Second Ave. that is a Red Sox bar. So I guess your assumption is wrong about no following in NY.[/quote]

• DW in Tampa Bay | August 3, 2007 at 3:40 pm |

[quote comment=”128012″][quote comment=”127997″]There are more Braves, Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs fans in Florida than there are Marlins or Devil Rays fans.[/quote]

Don’t forget the Mets fans! Last time I visited my cousin in Miami, the three top baseball stories on the 6PM local newscast involved the Marlins, Mets, and Yankees – in that order[/quote]

In the Tampa Bay area, home of the Devil Rays, WQYK-1010AM broadcasts Yankees games. Still lots of Mets and Cardinals fans here, along with Yankees and Red Sox fans.

About that Niketown baseball map, I find it strange that the Marlins “territory extends up into Georgia, rural Georgia at that. I don’t think so….

As far as the 1976 NL ASG pillbox caps, there is one on display at the Reds HoF Pete Rose Exhibit.

• Ed from Dallas | August 3, 2007 at 3:42 pm |

If it means anything, my step-dad is from a small city outside of Lafayette, LA. He’s a HUGE Astros fan. Along with the Saints of course and the Houston Oilers (not Texans though.)

• ginsk | August 3, 2007 at 3:53 pm |

2. Follow a completely random team.

Nice map, next time do your research”

as a louisianian
    i would say a bit more than half of the fans are astros fans, esp in the western part of the state. houston is 4 hours from BR, 5.5 from new orleans, and 2 from lake charles. plus so many people have family in texas.
    the remaining fans are probably split between the braves and cubs (braves for me), because when you got home from school, the cubs were on WGN, and at 635 everyday the braves were on TBS

the onetime AAA new orleans affiliation doesnt matter. The Zephyrs have had 4 major league affiliates in their 15 or so years here- brewers, astros, nationals and now mets

• Stephen | August 3, 2007 at 4:01 pm |

But of course![/quote]
    OK, so, to echo someone’s earlier post, you have the Braves TATC jersey?

• jere | August 3, 2007 at 4:05 pm |

Four things about the map:

1) My brain exploded when I first looked at it.

2) Nice to see how expansive the Nats broadcast is compared to the Orioles.

4) Upstate NY is where you’d see Yanks and Red Sox games.

These maps are confusing. The NFL blackout maps are worse.[/quote]

i dont agree with that map, first off, the redsox

How could you say such a thing? “Especially” not upstate? That’s right next to Vermont. Huge Sox fanbase up there. Drive on the Mass Pike in Western Mass, and you’ll see plenty of NY plates with Sox bumper stickers. The Sox have had minor league teams for extended periods of time in Elmira, NY, and Albany, NY.

And the person who mentioned the Sox bar in NYC–there are more than one. Plenty of Sox fans everywhere. Just like there are Yankee fans in Mass, etc.

All that said, I was so psyched to see on that map that they gave ALL of New England to the Sox. Woohoo. As a Sox fan who grew up in Fairfield County, Connecticut, that put a smile on my face.

Also, maybe one day, when MLB allows ALL of Connecticut to get NESN, we’ll see where that CT divider line truly lies.

• Eriq Jaffe | August 3, 2007 at 4:22 pm |

• Jordan | August 3, 2007 at 4:24 pm |

[quote comment=”128084″][quote comment=”128078″]OK, so, to echo someone’s earlier post, you have the Braves TATC jersey?[/quote]http://img525.images...[/quote]

haha, cop out

• Stephen | August 3, 2007 at 4:25 pm |

Thanks….sorta bland, but better than some of the other monstrosities that were out there during that promotion.

Thanks again for posting it.

• Mike Engle | August 3, 2007 at 4:25 pm |

• Ryan B | August 3, 2007 at 4:26 pm |

Here’s an actual pic of the ’99 Red Sox TATC cap:

• Mike Engle | August 3, 2007 at 4:36 pm |

[quote comment=”128089″]Here’s an actual pic of the ’99 Red Sox TATC cap:
    [/quote]
    Testing…1; 2; 3…testing…

• patrick | August 3, 2007 at 4:37 pm |

[quote comment=”128072″][quote comment=”128035″][quote comment=”127943″][quote comment=”127934″][quote comment=”127896″][quote comment=”127892″][quote comment=”127890″]Logo Creep in an odd place. Really neat picture though.[/quote]

Four things about the map:

1) My brain exploded when I first looked at it.

2) Nice to see how expansive the Nats broadcast is compared to the Orioles.

4) Upstate NY is where you’d see Yanks and Red Sox games.

These maps are confusing. The NFL blackout maps are worse.[/quote]

i dont agree with that map, first off, the redsox

As a RS fan, I think if you ask a CT resident, they will tell you that there is a Yankees/Red Sox line that cuts the state in half. Funny story as I was visiting a friend’s country club in W Hartford. Noticed a nice golf hat with magnet in the fabric so the ball spotter looks like a button or patch. Had several Yankees hats and when asked about where the Red Sox hats were, was told that they had sold out.[/quote]

Went to a small lib arts in hartford and most of my friends are from CT/Mass, and the line, I’ve found, tends to be drawn right around new haven.

• Kenny | August 3, 2007 at 4:38 pm |

Couple things:

While you’re on the site, you can check out some cool photos of the refinishing and painting of the Smith Center floor.[/quote]

Connor Barth you have a sweet ‘stache

NBA fines

with all those NBA fines for shorts being too low what’s the rule on this? (I think I see some naughty bits)

• Robert | August 3, 2007 at 4:39 pm |

Does anyone know why Johnny Bench’s 1968 rookie card shows him in a 1966 uniform?

Shouldn’t he have been in either a 1967 uniform (in a photo taken during the 1967 season, when the Reds first called him up) or in a 1968 uniform (in a photo taken in Spring Training that year)?

• scott | August 3, 2007 at 4:48 pm |

Are NFL team now allowed to wear their alternaties more than two times?

• MikeB | August 3, 2007 at 4:51 pm |

[quote comment=”128100″]Are NFL team now allowed to wear their alternaties more than two times?[/quote]

One of them was a preseason game

• David | August 3, 2007 at 5:07 pm |

[quote comment=”127948″]

I’d never seen those before, but the Tigers wore basically the current home jersey, just with shorter “futuristic” arms. There is an image floating around that has the cap “D” on the jersey, but that was a mistake by whoever at MLB who made those mockups. As others have said, the Tigers didn’t end up wearing their road future jerseys (which were to be pretty basic) against the Red Sox because the jerseys didn’t get there.

• Brett | August 3, 2007 at 5:15 pm |

Probaby the flash. Same same happened to a lot of my wedding photos. Looks like night but taken during the day.

• =bg= | August 3, 2007 at 5:24 pm |

worst number switches…

• Jeff B | August 3, 2007 at 5:30 pm |

• =bg= | August 3, 2007 at 5:34 pm |

Wow, I had a lot of these posters. Love the Vikes.

• Nicole | August 3, 2007 at 5:37 pm |

[quote comment=”127979″]RE: The Countries of Baseball Map…

Nice map, next time do your research…[/quote]

I disagree.

I had never come across this before I moved there because Milwaukee has their own team, but I find that many people who live in an area are Braves or Cubs fans because they get the games through TBS and WGN which is basic cable.

A smaller, more old school group are Cards fans because way back in the day the Cards were the most Westernly located and the radio broadcasts went out to the West Coast. I have a frien from Oregon who is a Cards fan because his grandpa was a Cards fan for this reason.

• Mike Engle | August 3, 2007 at 5:38 pm |

• Eriq Jaffe | August 3, 2007 at 5:46 pm |

[quote comment=”128088″]Thanks a lot, Mr. Jaffe. But I’m wondering, is there a Cincinnati Reds TATC jersey? The Wikipedia page does not list the Reds as declining to participate (as it does the Texas teams, the Canada teams, Cubs, LA, and Yankees), but the master TATC schedule does not show Cincinnati anywhere.[/quote]

To my knowledge, the Reds didn’t have one. I would assume that Wikipedia simply omitted them from the list of declining teams.

FWIW, the ones I’ve been posting are actually scans from the 1999 MLB Style Guide, so they’re as official as you’re gonna get – no Reds in there, either.

• John K | August 3, 2007 at 5:52 pm |

Look at the third entry on the active roster. There is no card design yet but based on the description, it could be the first quote unquote logo creep. Not a real sponsor or logo but i still thought it was funny.

• John Baranowski | August 3, 2007 at 6:28 pm |

[quote comment=”128119″][quote comment=”128114″]Hey guys, I’m looking at a membership.. What would everyone think of me getting the new red Pirate’s vest on my card?[/quote]
    Yuck-o, Buck-o. That should be an official taboo, along with the black Mets (“Ditch the Black!”) and purple teams.[/quote]

i know a suprising amount of people who actually like the ketchup jersey…and that includes a few sportswriters too! *gasp!* so idk, it might be one of those hideously beautiful jerseys someday

• cathy | August 3, 2007 at 6:38 pm |

• Matt | August 3, 2007 at 6:58 pm |

Nice map, next time do your research…[/quote]

1. Follow a team from where they grew up.
    That’s pretty much every region.

The Astros are a completely random team.[/quote]

Did you do your research on that one? ;)[/quote]
    I live in Iowa. The Cubs are by far the predominant team here.

• JM Rempt | August 3, 2007 at 7:05 pm |

[/quote]

Wow..those are really, really bad.

• Go Cyclones | August 3, 2007 at 7:11 pm |

• Tom C. | August 3, 2007 at 7:11 pm |

Anyone who is posting as a exception to the map. Obviously they exist. I live in Rochester, NY and am a Red Sox fan. I grew up in Maine and lived in Boston for a time. That does not mean the map would be wrong to label western NY as Yankee territory.

I guess I am hypocritical for bringing it up…. if I want to now say… give the map a rest.

There WAS, however, a good article a few years back that tried to determine the exact Sox/Yankees line in CT. Don’t know if anyone has it.

• Tom C. | August 3, 2007 at 7:14 pm |
  • todd krevanchi (krvanch) | August 3, 2007 at 7:19 pm |

[quote comment=”128137″][quote comment=”128114″]Hey guys, I’m looking at a membership.. What would everyone think of me getting the new red Pirate’s vest on my card?[/quote]

uuuhhhhh You have GOT TO BE KIDDING! …you new to this site? Seriously though, whatever floats your boat. Everybody has a right to an opinion.[/quote]

would it really matter?
    suppose my favorite colors are light blue and navy blue. im sure id be able to get a card using that “pirate” font, or any other team font, in those colors on any color background.

in fact, id probably get the standard uniwatch card, but sub the font and outlined style that the yanks use on their away unis rather than the standard uniwatch font.

• Jeff B | August 3, 2007 at 7:49 pm |

There’s the reaction I was looking for. I just did it to get a rise outta some people. Also wanted to point out the groupthink mentality in place here, but anyways I am undecided on what style and number I’d get, so that’s why I’m holding out.

• Ron | August 3, 2007 at 7:57 pm |

It was mentioned here before, but was the font name for Real Madrid, the one where you have a mixture of upper and lower case letters? Thanks.

• dgc | August 3, 2007 at 8:37 pm |

[quote comment=”128152″]Cardinals-Pirates game, wearing the Negro League uniforms. Complete with proper pant lengths on everyone I’ve seen so far. The Cardinals are wearing red socks though, not the infamous stripes that their minor league teams (and Reyes) wear. I don’t know if the stripes were around in the Negro leagues or not, but this is a B-E-A-utiful sight to see (from first glance at least).[/quote]

The Cardinals are playing the Nationals. Apparently the Grays used to play games in DC as well.

• Dave A | August 3, 2007 at 8:54 pm |

About 2/3 of the way down this page, Texas Rangers equipment manager Zack Minasian talks about the problems in lettering Jarrod Saltalamacchia’s Rangers’ jersey.

• Matt B | August 3, 2007 at 8:57 pm |

Damn. We’ve got pi, 1/8, 9/9, 2!. What kind of sorry math major am I that I’m using a simple integer for my number (5)? I call dibs on i next year. And if any EE type pulls a stunt and uses j, then it’s time for a rumble.

• Ash | August 3, 2007 at 8:59 pm |

worst number switches…

“Poor Franco Harris’ sad exit in Seattle is exacerbated by the fact that he had to wear No. 34.”

Franco wore 34 at Penn State, so he probably didn’t mind it too much.

• Evan | August 3, 2007 at 9:48 pm |

I know these are very late but I finally got around to uploading my Yankees Old Timer’s Day photos and as it was pointed out there was only 1 Old Timer wearing stirrups

• nybatt | August 3, 2007 at 9:54 pm |

in that Cards/Nats (Stars-Grays) game amazingly Juan Encarnacion IS wearing the Cards traditional striped socks!!! I believe he is the only one. very odd that he was able to get away with it.

• Aaron Scholder | August 3, 2007 at 10:08 pm |

Does anyone have a link to that picture of baseball played on ice? Paul had in one of his posts a while back.

• Manzell | August 3, 2007 at 10:36 pm |

Looks like Manny is wearing one of his pockets ‘guillen-style’ (hanging out) vs. the Mariners today.

• TWood | August 3, 2007 at 10:48 pm |

As an Oklahoma native I am happy the names will be back on the Sooners jerseys, also about the Nike map. Oklahoma has more Cards and Cubs fans due to the old radio days not to mention the Yankee fans due to Mickey Mantle.

• noonan | August 3, 2007 at 10:52 pm |

Well, I hate to come back to posting here after a long layoff with something non-uni related, but this map may find some interest among the readers here.

• redemske | August 3, 2007 at 11:15 pm |

Twins are wearing BIG 35W stickers on their helmets.

• Robert | August 3, 2007 at 11:20 pm |

I think that the jersey is sharp. Non-traditional for the Pirates, but sharp. Go for it.

• Robert | August 3, 2007 at 11:27 pm |

• Jeremy | August 3, 2007 at 11:51 pm |

kentucky (and the rest of the sec… i assume) will be wearing a 75 year anniversary patch this year.

• Jeremy | August 4, 2007 at 12:17 am |

• Frankie | August 4, 2007 at 12:29 am |

• Mike Engle | August 4, 2007 at 12:46 am |

[quote comment=”128252″]The Bengals have posted their Jersey Colors for the 2007/2008 season. There will unfortunately be three appearances of the Orange jersey. Of course, picking the worst of their three jerseys is like picking the biggest geek at a comic book convention.

Well, the Bengals are going to have to update that because the Dolphins always wear white during morning and afternoon home games. They only wear the aqua during night home games and very few road games where the home team wears white.[/quote]
    I actually like the Bengals’ orange jerseys the best (not to say any of the three are truly spectacular). I hate their whites because I can’t stand the sleeves. They look like they don’t belong there. The black has the stupid white sides that while present on the oranges, look much worse on the blacks. And no matter how much the jerseys suck, we can all agree that the orange matches the helmet.

• Joe Greenlight | August 4, 2007 at 1:08 am |

Is it me or does Tulsa’s new unis scream London Monarchs circa 1991 (minus the gold numerals)?

• DW in Tampa Bay | August 4, 2007 at 2:01 am |

[quote comment=”128241″][quote comment=”128121″]As to the Johnny Bench thing, that wasn’t uncommon at all – if the photographer was unable to get a shot of Johnny Bench for the ’68 set, they’d just go back to another photo they had on file. Happens all the time with cards. It’s particularly noticeable when a team’s uniform change is drastic.[/quote]

But the photo in the uniform was from two years earlier, 1966, and Bench never made an appearance with the Reds in 1966. Was he perhaps in Spring Training with the team in 1966, even though he was only 18 years old and heading for the Carolina League?[/quote]

Think about it logically.

The 1966 jerseys would have been reused in Spring Training of 1967 when that picture was most probably taken. When the 1968 cards were printed over the winter of 1967, they used the picture of him taken in Spring Training 1967 in the 1966 uniform.

This jersey (with the pinstripes) was used only in 1967. The picture was obviously taken in Spring Training (most likely 1968) at Al Lopez Field in Tampa as you can see Tampa Stadium in the background. But the picture didn’t show up until his 1970 Topps card.

So that 1966 jersey would not be unusual on a 1968 card.

• Dan | August 4, 2007 at 2:03 am |

[quote comment=”128250″]it also looks like kentucky has added a white stripe to their helmets that wasnt there last year.[/quote]

Why they ever went away from this is beyond me. They were my favorite college uniforms of all time (except I like the Kentucky typeface on the current jerseys.

Love the new Rice helmets. I wish Louisville would put this logo (on the fanny pack, as I like to call it) on their helmet. Love the all-black uniform and the red jersey/black pants combo.

• DW in Tampa Bay | August 4, 2007 at 2:04 am |

BTW…Just a piece of trivia, Bench wore number 53 on that reused 1966 jersey. He didn’t switch to number 5 until he made the ML roster.

• Michael Romero | August 4, 2007 at 11:46 am |

so, to whom can i complain that my membership card design isn’t in the gallery?

• Valjean | August 4, 2007 at 11:24 pm |

I was seriously considering “e” but thought it might be confused with a name. A lot more concise than 2.71…

Plenty of math and engr geeks here — gotta love it.

• Eric B | August 5, 2007 at 2:54 am |

• Nick | August 5, 2007 at 4:39 am |

[quote comment=”127979″]RE: The Countries of Baseball Map…

Nice map, next time do your research…[/quote]

I’m a New Orleans LIFER, and for the most part it is currently wide open territory as to Major League followings. The TBS & WGN superstations have created alot of Cubs and Braves fans, given that almost every one of their games are televised here. You can also get just about every current Astros game on local cable today.

However, in the 1960’s and early 1970’s (pre-superstatons and cable TV) almost everybody that was a baseball fan in my generation (I’m 45) was an Astros fan. All you heard about in school when baseball was talked about were Cesar Cedeno, Joe Morgan, Rusty Staub, and other Astro’s of that era. When I was in college ,in 1979-1984 every friend from Baton Rouge and that locale also seemed to be Astros fans if they were interested in baseball – with their alliegance centered around Milo Hamilton’s radio broadcasts from that 1960’s – early 1970’s era.

Interestingly, for 2-3 years after the Rangers first moved to Texas (1972) our independent UHF station carried a ton of Rangers games (I remember really digging the Ranger’s the logo and font), though it never seemed to catch on the way the Astros did.

Now, of course, everything is available and moe people are fans of more teams.

• chance | August 5, 2007 at 7:21 am |

[quote comment=”127875″][quote comment=”127866″]Wow those turn ahead the clock unis are beyond horrid. Glad to hear my Cubs did not partake.[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed. Anything that brings back the Beer Barrel Man (even for one day) is good by me.

• Jeremy | August 5, 2007 at 9:58 pm |

[quote comment=”128713″][quote comment=”128266″] I like the Kentucky typeface on the current jerseys.[/quote]

i don’t know if any other school uses that template for their uniforms but i find it funny that in basketball-crazy kentucky, even the football jerseys are made to look like basketball jerseys.[/quote]

buffalo uses a very similar uni(even the helmet).

• Nick | September 20, 2007 at 12:19 pm |

[quote comment=”128078″][quote comment=”128044″][quote comment=”128022″]Does anyone have a pic of the white sox jersey???[/quote]

I recently sold one of these. Here is the link to the auction for your reference. The pics are still active:

• Mark | September 27, 2007 at 1:23 pm |

I seem to recall the game they were due to wear the future uniforms was rained out. There was never an outcry to wear them in a different game.