The Hy Peskin Archives, Vol. 2

hy.jpg

A quick note to start: We’ve made some adjustments to the site’s coding. If anything looks amiss, please let me know. Thanks.

Now then: Today we have another batch of remarkable photos by the late Hy Peskin. Last time around we did baseball shots; today we’ll take a look at football and basketball. It bears repeating that almost all the Peskin photos on this web site are worth investigating just for their sheer beauty, but I’m sticking to uni-notable images.

Here we go:

• Hey, is that the Green Bay Packers? Nope — it’s the 1955 Miami Hurricanes. Looooove those saturated colors. Also: Dig the patch and the striped cap (!) on the zebra. Also-also: Never would’ve guessed that visors were so popular in 1955.

• So much to like in this scoreboard shot: the bookended Jayhawk logos, the clusters of speakers, the slope at the top-center of the board, the simple one-bulb-per-quarter system for indicating the quarters, the magnificent cars in the parking lot. And what’s with that guy who’s walking away?

• If you go to our Pro Football Uni History Project, you’ll see that the white road jersey worn by the 1957 49ers had “three sleeve stripes with outer stripes gold and inner stripe red.” I’d never really thought much about what that meant until I saw this photo. Damn, that is some my-t-fine sleeve striping. Note the sock striping, too. Reader Bruce Genther liked it so much that he prepared this schematic.

• Who says white guys can’t jump? Love those Princeton sleeve stripes, natch.

Best leatherheads photo ever? Maybe. Damn, look at that texture, those seams — magnificent.

• We all know about Y.A. Tittle’s famous kitchen sink helmet. But check him out here, with two single-bars. Don’t think I’ve seen a shot of him wearing that format before.

• Two things of note in this halftime shot: yet another drool-inducing dose of saturated color, and the great Kezar Stadium scoreboard in the background (which I’ve been intrigued by ever since I saw this photo in this sensational book when I was a little boy.)

• There’s something really wonderful about the simplicity of this cheerleading shot.

• Old NBA uniforms don’t get much better than these.

• That last photo only showed the Warriors uni from the back. Here’s how it looked from the front.

• When did NBA teams start wearing high, team-colored socks — or white crew socks over team-colored stirrups — instead of just white crews? That question comes to mind when I look at this famous photo of Bob Cousy. The opposing team is the Ft. Wayne Pistons. Not only do their socks add tremendous visual interest to their uniform, but Cousy and the other Celtics look naked by comparison — too much skin showing for my tastes. So this photo, taken in November of 1955, shows the league’s sock situation in flux. I’d like to know more about how that situation evolved, which is just one more reason we need a comprehensive NBA uni-history project. (As an aside, note the zebra-striped ref. It’s easy to forget that NBA refs used to wear stripes, just like college refs still do.)

• I love the multi-colored key at Boston Garden. And check out those striped pants on the Rochester Royals!

That’s it for this round. I’ll have one more batch of Peskin pics in the next week or so.

guthrie.png

Collector’s Corner, by Brinke Guthrie

Wide variety this week — everything from Greenie Weenies to Broadway Joe. Where else but Collector’s Corner?

• The Indians can’t get Feller on their sleeve patch, but you can get him for your desk.

• Joe Namath: Loving, brawling, and bustin’ it up! Says so here.

• Who’s this little “62 Homers” dude? Is that some type of Maris reference?

• Very nice Browns painting, which also shows up on one of these programs.

• Never seen the MLB silhouette logo customized for a holiday before.

• Can’t say I’ve seen a 1960s Pirates “Green Weenie” either. [The full story behind the Green Weenie can be found here. — PL]

• Ever seen this version of the Baltimore Orioles’ mascot?

• Now that’s a cool 1960s helmet!

Seen something on eBay that you think would make good Collector’s Corner fodder? Send your submissions here.

ESPN reminder: In case you missed it yesterday, my latest ESPN column, which is about spring training, is now available.

Stirrups Club — last call: Today’s the last day to get in on Robert Marshall’s latest batch of Uni Watch Stirrups Club offerings. Full details here.

IMPORTANT! Bobblehead update: As you may have seen yesterday or last Friday, Robert M. is also offering a clearance sale on custom bobblehead dolls. Here’s his latest news on that front:

Response has been so good that I have managed to slash the bobble price from $200 to $175 $150 $125. If I can get just a few more people, we can make it an even $100, which I would love. After this batch, I am more or less retiring from making these, so don’t stay on the fence — get in touch.

In other words, folks, it’s now or never. You know what to do.

lisi.png

Membership update: Despite having his left arm in a sling, Scott Turner has heroically completed another batch of membership card designs (including Michael Lisi’s AC Milan treatment, shown at right). These new designs have been added to the membership card gallery; the printed/laminated versions should ship out later this week. As always, you can make the membership scene yourself by signing up here.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Remember how Evansville’s basketball team used to wear sleeves up until 2003 or so? Saturday was their last regular-season game in their old arena, and the team marked the occasion by wearing sleeved throwbacks (big thanks to Craig Emig). … Argentina’s Copa America kit has leaked (with thanks to Kenny Loo). … Here’s news on the latest Air Jordan edition. … The Hiroshima Carp are marketing bike helmets (with thanks to Jeremy Brahm). … Excellent spot by Tyler Carlson, who noticed that BYU hoops player Stephen Rogers has an extra-curly swoosh. Weird. … Tyler Kepner has been covering spring training in Arizona. Check out the tremendous 1948 championship pennant he saw at Indians camp. … The 2012 Olympics logo, already under fire for looking like Maggie Simpson giving a blowjob, is now the subject of a new outcry. … Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: The Red Sox’s St. Paddy’s Day jerseys are a disaster. Let’s hope not every team goes this route. … My friend and fellow City Reliquary board member Lulu Lolo recently returned from a trip to Paris and brought me back a special present: a sign from a Parisian butcher’s meat case (“You should totally stick that into a large hunk of meat at your first bbq of the season,” suggests Kirsten). No, I’ve never eaten cheval, but I’d try it if someone served it to me. … No photo, but David Goodfriend says the Rockies were wearing three different caps on Sunday: “Most of them wore BP caps, a few had the all-black game caps, and manager Jim Tracy wore the black with the purple brim.” … Major find posted in yesterday’s comments by Chance Michaels: This 1944 newspaper article about the Dodgers’ night-game satins mentions “There are also white visors on the blue caps.” First I’ve ever heard of that. We must find one of those caps! … Too bad about that certain T-shirt of mine, because Jake Sorg had just come up with a corresponding mascot to go along with it: Mr. Meat. … Jeremy Brahm says he’d never seen a volleyball player with a facemask until now, so it must be rare. … Tooth Fairy Dept.: Ray Allen of the Celtics was wearing little Phiten-branded magnet thingies, or something like that, on his calves last night (screen shot by Brett Crane). … Here’s a good 1969 shot of the Jets wearing no-frills jerseys — no stripes, NNOB. “Not sure if this was a preseason game,” says Bill Kellick. … Darron Thomas (Oregon football) has switched uni numbers. … Latest logo that looks like it was ripped off from — or by — the Lightning: Thunderbolt, a new data connection port by Intel (as noted by Tim McNulty). … Reprinted from last night’s comments: Great story about the original Nike waffle iron — the inspiration for the company’s waffle-patterned sneaker tread — being rediscovered.

Screen shot 2011-03-01 at 12.16.32 AM.png

Minor milestone: Fifteen years ago today (well, sort of — it was Feb. 29, but that date doesn’t exist this year) I walked out of my office at a publishing house for the last time. I had been doing some freelance writing on the side for the previous two years or so and had decided to make a go of that on a full-time basis. At the time I viewed it as an experiment.

At some point the whole freelancing thing morphed from “experiment” to “Oh, this is my life now,” which I guess means the experiment was a success. A good chunk of that is due to Uni Watch, and a decent chunk of that is due to you folks — thanks, people. Here’s to the next 15 years.

149 comments to The Hy Peskin Archives, Vol. 2

• jude | March 1, 2011 at 7:18 am |

The first (main) photo says it’s currently unavailable through Flickr.

• Paul Lukas | March 1, 2011 at 7:22 am |

Should be fixed now.

• JTH | March 1, 2011 at 7:25 am |

I got the “Firefox prevented this site from opening a pop-up window.” infobar IN ADDITION to an actual pop-up (WooHoo, it looks like I’m today’s lucky Illinois winner of an iPad!).

• Paul Lukas | March 1, 2011 at 7:29 am |

Is the pop-up in front of or behind the main browser window? Either way, how annoying is it for you?

We’ve switched to a new ad-serving service. The pop-ups seem fairly rare (every 17th time I refresh the page or so), but we didn’t realize they were going to happen at all and we’re a little concerned about it. Should we be? Or is it no big deal?

• JTH | March 1, 2011 at 7:37 am |

It popped up in front. Annoyance factor is pretty high because it also had a dialog box along with it.

But if it only happens every 17th time or so…

• Mark K | March 1, 2011 at 8:49 am |

pop-up factor = extremely annoying

• Phillip | March 1, 2011 at 8:50 am |

I got it also, it’s more annoying than the standard netflix type popup ones you see because of the confirm button when you close it and that it seems to want to force to full screen. That and the “YOU JUST WON AN IPAD CLICK HERE TO GET A COMPUTER VIRUS THAT WILL RUIN YOUR WEEK!”

• Paul Lukas | March 1, 2011 at 9:40 am |

OK, we’re working on it. Hope to have it fixed shortly. My apologies for the hassle, and my thanks for your patience.

• phillip | March 1, 2011 at 12:09 pm |

no worries, thanks for all you do.

• Jim Vilk | March 1, 2011 at 11:47 am |

I get “Firefox prevented this site from opening a pop-up window.” every time I refresh. One time I got a pop-up anyway.

• Boomtown | March 1, 2011 at 7:26 am |

Congratulations on 15 years, Paul! Very cool story about the Nike waffle maker… I wonder if it’s swoosh-branded? ;-)

• C Ward | March 1, 2011 at 7:33 am |

“Indians camp” link is wrong – goes to BYU pic

• Paul Lukas | March 1, 2011 at 7:47 am |

Thanks. Now fixed.

• Ricko | March 1, 2011 at 7:53 am |

Come on, people, when we gonna get our heads around this?
    Crew socks over stirrups socks for football back then.
    This is really, really nice work, but the socks are wrong…
    Socks were white stirrups striped in the same pattern as the jersey sleeves.
    The wide red band in the photos is atop the white crew socks. Early Boston Patriots wore ’em, too.
    Think hunting socks style.

—Ricko

• Ricko | March 1, 2011 at 8:20 am |

Uni History Project says 49ers wore red crew socks on the road in 1957. Never, never happened.

What, if we can’t figure something out we just make up something?

Seriously, no one looked at this photo and thought, “Hmm, could the red be the top of the crew socks”?

Look at it. Carefully. The varying height of the red sock top, and the fact you can see all three stripes on the white stirrups on a couple of the players might have been, oh, I dunno…a clue.

—Ricko

• Andy | March 1, 2011 at 9:18 am |

I was pretty sure the red band was part of the crew socks (I was going to post it, but you beat me).

But, instead of going all nutso out in the comments section about the red crew socks on the road claim, you probably should have just e-mailed Mr. Brulia and asked him what led him to believe this fact was true. I’ll let him speak for himself, but either way, no need to go bat-shit crazy about it. I bet he has a reference photo for you. Or maybe he just worded it wrong.

• Bernard | March 1, 2011 at 9:52 am |
        • timmy b | March 1, 2011 at 1:02 pm |

Hey Ricko,

You called me out, so here’s my response. That crew sock worn with the white socks should been worded differently.

As seen in the Peskin pic, the ’57 Niners wore white “high” socks with the stripes as on the jersey sleeves. They wore with them white crew socks with about 1 3/4″ – 2″ of red at the top edge. Likely, the top of the crew socks should have ended below the stripes of the high socks. But as seen on some of the players, the crew overlaps at least the lower gold stripe on the high sock. When I first saw this look, it gave me the impression of the high sock of having an additional off-set thick red stripe below the three stripe combo. Obviously, I was wrong.

Another pair of eyes is helpful…and important.

Thanks!

• Ricko | March 1, 2011 at 12:41 pm |

Oh, man, TimmyB and I work together on all kinds of stuff. i consider him one of my Internet friends, certainly when it comes to uni discussions. I’ll wager he’s updated the Uni Project since that appeared, because we have talked about the ’57 Niners several times, on various aspects of the unis…including trying to figure out what years they wore silver and what years gold. Not an easy determination, to be sure.

I hope he wasn’t offended. Just that so many after-the-fact uni historians are baffled by things that are, once they realize the simple explanation of what was going on, real forehead-smack moments.

—Ricko

• timmy b | March 1, 2011 at 2:59 pm |

No worries, my man. :)

I like that kind of passion when it comes to uni history.

• Ricko | March 1, 2011 at 8:09 am |

re: NBA team color stirrups socks (UNDER crews, btw)…
    It was a team-by-team thing.
    I’d have to do some checking, but just from memory…
    Lakers wore them as far back as the Mikan era.
    Pistons wore them.
    Nats did after they became the 76ers (at least for a time).
    Hawks did as late as the Pete Maravich lime-royal-white unis and possibly the red-white set that followed it.
    Several, if not most, ABA teams did.

Never became a league-wide thing. Don’t believe Celtics have ever wore them, for example. Possibly not the Knicks, either (to name two). Again, just wandering through my memory so don’t hold me to anything precise.

—Ricko

• Dwayne | March 1, 2011 at 9:15 pm |

As far as the ABA teams, the Kentucky Colonels did not.

They wore the almost knee-length white socks with 2 royal stripes at the top.

• Dwayne | March 1, 2011 at 9:40 pm |

I stand corrected:

When they wore the green/white/black uniforms ’67-’70, they wore the crew-over-stirrup socks.

But when they went blue-white and red-white-blue, they wore just knee-lengthers.

• Mark in Shiga | March 1, 2011 at 8:11 am |

Those Red Sox St. Patrick’s Day jerseys are truly hideous. Clunky white yoke, names over the numbers; ugh.

And Paul, congratulations on 15 years!

• Ryan B | March 1, 2011 at 8:58 am |

It’s just a mock-up, it won’t look that bad (well, won’t look worse, let’s put it that way).

That white yoke has to go, though.

• Joe Barrie | March 1, 2011 at 8:15 am |

The 1948 Indians pennant refers to “Beardon” as a pitcher. As I recall, he was Gene Bearden.

• Chuck | March 1, 2011 at 4:16 pm |

Tribe fans: I think this version (from the 1948 pennant) of an Indian would look good on current unis, much better than Chief WaHoo! What do you think?

• Hank-SJ | March 1, 2011 at 8:18 am |

Congrats, Paul. As ‘they’ say, the first 15 years are the hardest. Or something like that.

• scott | March 1, 2011 at 8:27 am |

And when will the Red Sox wear that green jersey during the regular season? That’s become a new tradition for them, hasn’t it?

• TriFecta Creative | March 1, 2011 at 8:38 am |

As a Bradley graduate … I can’t for the life of me figure out why the “Eagles” cheerleaders have been captioned as “Bradley University Cheerleaders?” Originally the Hilltoppers, they have been the Braves for most of their history. Anyone have more information?

• B-Dawg | March 1, 2011 at 1:18 pm |

My dad was a Bradley grad as well and I thought the same thing. I think the caption is wrong.

• Aaron | March 1, 2011 at 8:38 am |

I guess the Celtics must really be showing a lot of skin, because the filter at work won’t let me go to any of the pictures in the main feed, claiming it’s going to a nudie site.

• JTH | March 1, 2011 at 1:14 pm |

Ha! hypeskin dot com = Hype Skin dot com?

• Eric | March 1, 2011 at 8:47 am |

Looking at that Knicks v. Phila Warriors shot…Looks like #10 for the Knicks is looking at the left calf of #6 for the Warriors to see if it will explode.

I know it’s not uni related, but of all the sports action photos I’ve seen over the years, that’s the weirdest looking calf.

• Jim Vilk | March 1, 2011 at 11:54 am |

I just saw that same looking calf on a current player in a basketball magazine. Showed it to my wife and said, “Either he has like one percent body fat or he had work done on his leg.” Never saw that before, and now I’ve seen it twice in three days.

• Adam | March 1, 2011 at 8:59 am |

Lots and lots of pop-ups still…but the great news is I was the California winner of an IPad! (Except for the slight detail that I am in Ohio and my cpu is routed through a VPN in New Jersey)

Pop up in front and I got the pop-up twice in a row.

• Paul Lukas | March 1, 2011 at 9:14 am |

Just sent a note to our ad-serving partner. Hope to have a resolution soon.

• Mark K | March 1, 2011 at 9:01 am |

I hope Iran doesn’t skip the Olympics. Who will they get to march into the stadium during the commercials?

• jdreyfuss | March 1, 2011 at 10:55 am |

Isn’t that kind of a visual stretch? I mean you have to tilt one number almost 90 degrees to make it look like a Z. This seems more like a cry for attention than a legitimate protest.

• JimWa | March 1, 2011 at 11:37 am |

I would think Iran would be protesting the entire year, not just the Olympics. I mean, how many ways can you use the numerals and NOT have 2012 vaguely appear similar to ZION in the way they’re suggesting?

• JimWa | March 1, 2011 at 11:51 am |

Thank goodness for the Mayans, or 2102 could be a REAL mess for the Iranians!!

• Bernard | March 1, 2011 at 9:04 am |

Is it not probable that the BYU player’s swoosh is just peeling off at the top, kinda… comin’ at ya?

• Andy | March 1, 2011 at 9:21 am |

I was thinkin’ it was loose thread poking up myself.

• Ry Co 40 | March 1, 2011 at 9:43 am |

it’s the mark of the beast morphing into it’s 1st of 3 “6’s”

• Richard | March 1, 2011 at 9:07 am |

Happy Anniversary Paul! Here’s to many more years of pointing out the intricacies in creating some of the best (or worst) uniforms in sports, and other walks of life

• marc | March 1, 2011 at 9:24 am |

Anyone notice what’s on the Browns’ helmet in this painting?

• Chance Michaels | March 1, 2011 at 9:45 am |

How could any Browns fan pass that up? What, don’t they have eBay in Cleveland?

• jdreyfuss | March 1, 2011 at 10:49 am |

My guess would be uni numbers. As far as I can recall that’s the only thing they’ve ever ad on their helmets.

• Chance Michaels | March 1, 2011 at 11:32 am |

Nope – that there is the short-lived “CB” helmet logo. Designed by NFL Properties, and introduced in 1965. The players rebelled, the logo was never actually worn, but it still showed up on merchandise and graphics in 1965.

Story here, and a good one. Were I a Browns fan, I would have snapped up that painting for its historical value, painted as it was by the man who designed the only helmet logo the Browns ever intended to wear.

• =bg= | March 2, 2011 at 12:16 am |

great story from vince—i didnt even notice the CB on the helmet. first time i ever saw it was in ’71 on one of those pencil sharpeners he depicted in the piece.

no popups either on my Google CR48 OS laptop.

• The Jeff | March 1, 2011 at 11:42 am |

It looks like that CB logo that they were supposed to use, but didn’t. The item description says it’s from 1965, so it fits.

• marc | March 1, 2011 at 9:26 am |

Paul, the link in this sentence goes to a site called Basketball Wallpapers.com:

“When did NBA teams start wearing high, team-colored socks — or white crew socks over team-colored stirrups — instead of just white crews?”

• Paul Lukas | March 1, 2011 at 9:39 am |

Thanks! Now fixed.

• David Goodfriend | March 1, 2011 at 9:30 am |

correction on the Rockies wearing 3 caps. It was Saturday not Sunday. My mistake and my apologies.

• Ry Co 40 | March 1, 2011 at 9:39 am |

red sox st. pats jersey. probably my #1 pet peeve: white collars! ugh…

BIG congrats on a successful 15, paul!!!

“may purple be dammed, and your pants be high-cuffed. and the ticker be full with texture-y stuff”

BAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAA! have to admit, i made myself “chuckle out loud” at that one… sorry guys… haha

• Bryan | March 1, 2011 at 9:44 am |

Congrats on 15 years, and here’s hoping to 50 more!

• Terry Proctor | March 1, 2011 at 9:45 am |

Regarding that photo of the Jets wearing the plain mesh jerseys. That has to be an exhibition game. The Jets didn’t play at Oakland during the regular season in 1969. They played at Shea on Nov. 30 in 38 degree weather. That’s a little chilly for mesh in those days.

The Rochester Royal driving to the basket against the Celtics is Maurice “Big Mo” Stokes who was doing Magic Johnson-like things before Magic was born. What a tragedy when Mo went down with that career-ending head injury in 1958.

Finally that padded MacGregor helmet looks like the same style that Cornell University wore in the late 1950s-early 1960s.

• Rob Ullman | March 1, 2011 at 9:51 am |

Happy anniversary, Paul! On Saturday, it’ll be 12 years since I myself quit retail and decided to go freelance. What is it about March? Hope springs eternal, I guess!

• Broadway Connie | March 1, 2011 at 9:54 am |

Paul, I’m too jealous and begrudging to offer best wishes of your manumission anniversary. Get a real job.

Hy Peskin belongs in a pantheon, but I do wish his prices were lower.

Jake Sorg and Mr Meat made my day.

• jake sorg | March 1, 2011 at 10:36 am |

Thanks! You just made mine!

• Kyle | March 1, 2011 at 9:56 am |

Looking at the “curly Swoosh” it almost looks like it is simply peeling off the jersey and fell forward a bit to create an illusion.

• b-t-p-h | March 1, 2011 at 10:19 am |

Just a guess…Maybe the curved “swoosh” was a play on a curved Cougar tail, like this 1970s BYU warm-up?

• Tom Nawrocki | March 1, 2011 at 9:58 am |

The Peskin shots show an analog clock on the scoreboard at Kezar Stadium in 1956, but a digital one at Kansas in 1961. This was probably the era when most football stadiums switched over to digital timekeeping, but I do know that Franklin Field, the longtime home of the Eagles, used a clock with hands as late as 1970. Does anybody know: Was that the last NFL stadium to use analog timekeeping?

• Tony Miller | March 1, 2011 at 11:44 am |

I have no idea, but I’d totally be in favor of a post about old scoreboards.

• Ryan B | March 1, 2011 at 12:50 pm |

Co-signed. I totally geek out over old scoreboards.

• timmy b | March 1, 2011 at 1:32 pm |

I do know Chicago Stadium’s clock was still analog into the early-mid 1970’s with the Black Hawks and Bulls playing.

• Chance Michaels | March 1, 2011 at 3:04 pm |

I wonder if it has anything to do with the transfer of official timekeeping responsibilities from the on-field officials to the scoreboard?

• David T. | March 1, 2011 at 9:58 am |

Paul, congrats on the 15th anniversary of your Johnny Paycheck moment!

• interlockingtc | March 1, 2011 at 9:59 am |

15 years. Way to go, brother.

• LI Phil | March 1, 2011 at 10:22 am |

1) congrats on 15

2) must be (duh) the browser…at home, on the mac (safari)…no popups or any problems; at work, on IE…every refresh yields a PU (most get blocked)

• The Jeff | March 1, 2011 at 10:40 am |

The NoScript add-on for Firefox does wonders. No popups here.

• Aaron | March 1, 2011 at 10:51 am |

I’ve not gotten a single pop-up using Chrome, either.

• JimWa | March 1, 2011 at 11:32 am |

shhhhhhhh

• Shaun | March 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm |

According to Chrome, I had a pop-up that got blocked. Go Chrome!

• Paul Barrett | March 1, 2011 at 10:49 am |

So I guess I’m the only one that likes the sox green tops? And I’m not even a Boston fan in general, they just remind me ofthe celtics warmups.

Congrats on 15!

• jdreyfuss | March 1, 2011 at 10:56 am |

I just wish they’d stuck with what looked in the design template like a narrow yoke with Raglan sleeves, instead of the extra wide yoke with set-in sleeves that they ended up with.

• jdreyfuss | March 1, 2011 at 10:53 am |

Congrats on 15 years Paul. According to Wikipedia, we owe you glassware or a watch.

• JTH | March 1, 2011 at 12:02 pm |

Hey, I didn’t send a belated birthday gift after all. It was an early anniversary gift!

• hugh.c.mcbride | March 1, 2011 at 11:00 am |

Just wanted to add my voice to the masses re: congrats to Paul for the past 15 years. Great to see someone follow his/her passion – even more impressive when they’re good at it – & more satisfying still when it enables them to make a living. Thanks for all you do here (in other places, too), & here’s wishing you many many years of continued success!

• JimWa | March 1, 2011 at 11:03 am |

Kudos on 15 years. It’d be nice if a certain team would look the other way for a while to mark the occasion!

As for the Spring Training article … I had NO IDEA how many players end up at Spring Training. Interesting to me are the numbers NOT used (or retired) by the Cubs:

67 68 69 72 79 88 94 95 96 97 99

Anybody know why they’d go sequentially for the first 66 players/coaches, and then go reasonably random for the next twenty or so?

• Paul Lukas | March 1, 2011 at 11:04 am |

Pop-up issue should now be resolved. If anyone is still getting pop-ups, please let me know. Thanks again for your patience.

• UmpLou | March 1, 2011 at 11:12 am |

I always wanted a FREE iPad….yes still popping here….

And congrats on being free for 15 years…..

• Piping Mike | March 1, 2011 at 11:54 am |

Still getting the pop ups too.

• Valjean | March 1, 2011 at 12:44 pm |

Still getting them — including one I can’t close without closing my browser (a major pain). Firefox on a Mac. Thanks for being open to comments about this.

• Original Jim | March 1, 2011 at 11:22 am |

Congratulations on 15 years, Paul!

I just did the “leave work” thing myself two weeks ago. But I call it “unemployment”. :P

• JimWa | March 1, 2011 at 11:32 am |

I’m about to celebrate one month out myself. I’m trying to freelance it, but it’s a slooooooow startup!

• dmilleville | March 1, 2011 at 11:26 am |

I am still having the pop-up issue.

• Ian | March 1, 2011 at 11:38 am |

Very surprised nobody has mentioned the font differences between New York teammates in that Knicks vs Warriors pic!

• JC723 | March 1, 2011 at 11:42 am |

• Best leatherheads photo ever? link, I’ve never seen face-masks on leather helmets before.

• NE | March 1, 2011 at 11:44 am |

just had breaking news from a pop-up of news 5 but i accidently closed it out, shit.

• Piping Mike | March 1, 2011 at 11:58 am |

I think there’s also a coding problem with the UniWatch banner. Where it ususally says “The Obsessive Study of Athletics Aesthetics” it now says “Nike Branded Pajama Bottoms For All.”

• scott | March 1, 2011 at 12:04 pm |

Ugh:

So the Rox go from having a distinct brown and light blue color scheme to being Red Sox clones. I imagine this will make them more popular; maybe they can even fool people into believing this is a Red Sox farm team.

• JTH | March 1, 2011 at 12:20 pm |

Wow. If the “Meats” shirts are worthy of the cease-and-desist treatment, I’ll be shocked if this logo survives until Opening Day.

• scott | March 1, 2011 at 1:02 pm |

Have the Amarillo Sox been forced to change their logos and uniform sets yet? Their logo looked like it was stolen from the Twins and their uniforms were ripped off from the Red Sox.

• Jim Vilk | March 1, 2011 at 12:08 pm |

“There’s something really wonderful about the simplicity of this cheerleading shot.”
    Yes. And those flags all blowing in the same direction to signify the strength of the team…

(at least Scott should get that one)

• Ivan | March 1, 2011 at 12:09 pm |

Those Ft. Wayne Pistons socks prove one thing: it’s imperative that the NBA bring back team colored socks. Imperative!

Meanwhile, check out the nasty pick #16 is setting on his own teammate. No wonder Cousy was so successful.

• Flip | March 1, 2011 at 12:18 pm |

How many of us have thought of chucking it all and working without a net? Paul, I applaud your bravery. It helps to know you have the talent to make it work and the confidence to pull it off. Congratulations on reaching your 15-year milestone. Each of us is the beneficiary of your courage and the confidence it took to pull it off. I anxiously look forward to reading UniWatch in 2026 in whatever format may be around then. Peace out.

• Teebz | March 1, 2011 at 4:08 pm |

I did that this year. I got tired of working for the man who decided the work I did should earn him credit. So I quit work at the end of October, am back at school, and am being certified in a number of computer courses.

Is it hard? You bet. Do I regret it? Not a second of it.

• Jim Vilk | March 1, 2011 at 12:20 pm |

“Never would’ve guessed that visors were so popular in 1955.”

I’m guessing they sold those at the game. In the days before merchandised hats and such, you’d probably just get yourself a cheapo paper visor at the game and toss it as you were leaving. Beats what I saw on TV once – must have been an old NFL Films crowd shot of the LA Coliseum…there was a woman in the stands with a makeshift visor made from a ripped popcorn box.

• Les Holmlund | March 1, 2011 at 12:24 pm |

Looks to me like the Jets are wearing Raiders whites. Maybe they only packed their greens for a trip out west?

• Ricko | March 1, 2011 at 1:07 pm |

Jets wore those sans stripes jerseys in preseason for two or three years, beginning with the College All-Star Game following Super Bowl III.

They have been discussed here several times.
      So let’s don’t start dreaming up tales of jerseys left behind or lost by the airlines something.

—Ricko

• jesse | March 1, 2011 at 12:42 pm |

regarding the 1955 miami hurricanes photo at gt–if you look at helmet hut (http://www.helmethut...), the helmet from 1955 should have had two stripes, not one like in the photo. the canes schedule from that year shows a season opener at gt in 55, so more likely than not, just a small inaccuracy at helmet hut, or they wore multiple helmets that season..

• JTH | March 1, 2011 at 1:01 pm |

Multiple helmets:

“… Gustafson introduced a new helmet color for the ’55 season, a Green Bay gold shell with a one-inch forest green center stripe. This distinctive helmet was worn for every game of the ’55 season except the November 26th season finale against Florida. … For the annual clash against Florida on November 26th, Gustafson dressed up his helmet design by altering the stripe arrangement, removing the single center stripe and having the team come onto the field with two forest green stripes in a V-shaped arrangement.”

• Dave Mac | March 1, 2011 at 1:09 pm |

Interesting to see the similarities between this 1950s Rams uniform with the current St. Louis dark jersey and white pants look:

I always assumed the Rams just simply added white pants to their current uni set for the heck of it….and that probably is the case. But I guess I can’t discount possible historic inspiration.

• Ricko | March 1, 2011 at 1:26 pm |

From the late’40s through the very early ’70s the Rams didn’t wear anything BUT white pants.

Norm Van Brocklin…
      scroll way down to a color framegrab…

Elroy “Crazylegs” Hirsch…

—Ricko

• Dave Mac | March 1, 2011 at 1:54 pm |

Interesting. What surprises me, I guess, is how closely the stripe on the white pants resembles the current white pants and stripe look.

• Gusto44 | March 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm |

I think the Rams also wore white pants with blue/yellow striping a couple of times in the 1994 NFL anniversary throwback season. Los Angeles wore the throwback yellow jerseys as well, don’t recall if the helmet was changed at all.

• Chance Michaels | March 1, 2011 at 3:20 pm |

That’s a great look for the Rams.

I’m somewhat partial to the gold jerseys, myself. Stunning uniform.

• JimWa | March 1, 2011 at 1:20 pm |

Lots of questions/discussion that could come from this video:

But I have to say, what stood out most to me were the forced-perspective ads for Internet UNE. I’m not a fan of marketing mixed with my sports, but that’s a VERY cool way to get the message across.

• pflava | March 1, 2011 at 4:45 pm |

That is seriously what stood out most to you? What stood out to me was that guy being a piece of shit.

• LI Phil | March 1, 2011 at 9:49 pm |

oh fuck me…just got a chance to watch that now

10 funny things?

no…not fuckin funny at all…i agree with patrick…that luis moreno (or whatever his name is) is a piece of shit

• Piping Mike | March 1, 2011 at 1:26 pm |

After a quick scan through the Peskin pics, I can only assume he spent the majority of his professional career on the ground – so many photos shot from below. That’s no complaint either. It gives the pictures a larger than life feel. Great stuff – especially the colors and detail.

• RS Rogers | March 1, 2011 at 3:10 pm |

Purely anecdotal, but it seems to me like this has become less and less common in sports photography. Not sure why, but certainly at games it appears that some photogs are confined (by the team? by themselves?) to fixed positions, where they shoot at chest-level or above to the players. Also, like the rest of us, the photogs I spot seem to have a bigger average girth, and consequently less physical ability to get close to the turf for a low-angle shot.

Meanwhile, the defining camera angle of the last decade is from those zippy-around-on-wires overhead TV cameras that look down on the action.

• Flip | March 1, 2011 at 9:38 pm |

Props to low-angle shots. It’s a lost art.

• Kevin | March 1, 2011 at 1:38 pm |

Question for the board: Can any of you think of a pro or college uniform that uses a black jersey and red pants/shorts? A friend of mine coaches a youth lacrosse team that was issued this combination, and he says it looks terrible. Red and black is a decent combo, but I’ve always seen it with red jerseys and black pants/shorts (U of Maryland, NJ Devils, et al.). Anybody out there have a pic of black over red?

• JTH | March 1, 2011 at 1:49 pm |

If “Sedona” red counts, there’s the Yotes’ alternates.

Also, the Red Wings wear black practice jerseys for some reason.

• Kevin | March 1, 2011 at 3:30 pm |

Awesome – thanks for the input.

• Rob S | March 1, 2011 at 4:57 pm |

A lot of teams have worn black practice jerseys over the years, so the Wings’ doing it is not really new or odd. I mean, what are we talking about – practice??

• JTH | March 1, 2011 at 5:02 pm |

Well, I certainly don’t blame them for wanting to look more like the Blackhawks.

• Ricko | March 1, 2011 at 4:13 pm |

Not a hockey guy at all, but did the Carolina Hurricanes ever wear that combination, or was it just something kicked around here?

—Ricko

• Rob S | March 1, 2011 at 4:55 pm |

Nope, they’ve got black shells for their pants when they wear their black jerseys.

• Mike 2 | March 1, 2011 at 10:14 pm |

Phoenix Coyotes alternates.

• Mike 2 | March 1, 2011 at 10:16 pm |

Missed jth’s reply. Never heard them called yotes, except maybe by Joe pesci

• LI Phil | March 1, 2011 at 11:20 pm |

whut’s a yote?

• timmy b | March 1, 2011 at 1:39 pm |

The Jets-Raiders game in question where the Jets are wearing Penn State like white jerseys…

It was a preseason game, Monday night August 25, 1969.

• MPowers1634 | March 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm |

Paul,

Thank you for creating and continuing UniWatch.
    It has become a daily staple of my life.

Congratulations!

• Chance Michaels | March 1, 2011 at 3:22 pm |

and wasted more of our productive hours…. ;)

Seriously, congrats. More than a little envious, myself. I have a lotta admiration for the career you’ve carved out for yourself.

• MN | March 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm |

Paul- Congrats on 15 years! Wish I had the guts to do that.

BTW I jut got the pop up.

• Paul Lukas | March 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm |

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone today — means a lot.

I’m told that the pop-ups may take a few more hours to cycle out. Annoying, I know. Thanks for your patience.

• JTH | March 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm |

Interesting — I disabled the pop-up blocker, reloaded this page, re-enabled the pop-up blocker and now I’m not getting the “Firefox prevented this site…” infobar anymore.

• Paul Lukas | March 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm |

At the risk of sounding like a broken record: Anyone still getting pop-ups?

• Chance Michaels | March 1, 2011 at 4:16 pm |

Nope – I’m not getting them.

• Mark K | March 1, 2011 at 4:23 pm |

Gone for me.

• Christopher | March 1, 2011 at 5:29 pm |

I never did all day, but I have a great pop-up blocker that never tends to get fooled.

• Valjean | March 1, 2011 at 5:45 pm |

All gone now (Firefox, Mac). Thanks for asking.

• SeanMcSean | March 1, 2011 at 4:02 pm |

Mets are broke shirt. Love the Mets, but still funny:

• LarryB | March 1, 2011 at 4:21 pm |

Those Peskin photos are just beautiful.

• Chance Michaels | March 1, 2011 at 4:25 pm |

I still haven’t been able to find any evidence for satin Dodger caps in 1944, white-visored or otherwise. The only pictures I can find seem to indicate regular old wool caps.

I did come across this shot of Jackie Robinson as a Montreal Royal (the Dodgers’ farm team) wearing their version of the jockey silks, including a white silk cap with blue visor. Pretty sure we’ve talked about that photo before, but I had forgotten about the cap.

• Teebz | March 1, 2011 at 4:30 pm |

Congrats on 15 years, Paul! May the good fortune and writing continue to find you until you pass it on to another! It’s always a pleasure to stop by here, and I count myself as lucky to have had to pleasure of meeting the man, the myth, the legend in real-life!

Thanks, Paul!

• Kyle Allebach | March 1, 2011 at 4:51 pm |

Happy 15 years of freelancin’, Paul!

• LarryB | March 1, 2011 at 5:40 pm |

Way to go Paul. I may not always post here but I check it anxiously daily.

Only thing is you need to recruit some later day posters to make comments after 5 PM

• Tris Wykes | March 1, 2011 at 6:28 pm |

Every time I think I’ve seen everything that can be slapped with a sports team’s logos, etc., I realize it’s not true. Today’s evidence is a Green Bay Packers fighter pilot helmet: http://tinyurl.com/4...

• japanjohnny | March 1, 2011 at 7:33 pm |

Paul-thanks and congratulations on your 15th!

• Johnny O | March 1, 2011 at 9:58 pm |

Packers Pro Shop offering some cool Super Bowl Fat Heads. Not that Fat Heads are cool, but the fact they use the “Holstein Heisman” logo on their banner is.

• Timothy Terpak | March 1, 2011 at 10:11 pm |

Pretty awesome DIY. Not sports related. DIY Roller Coaster. http://www.youtube.c...

• Bill Scheft | March 2, 2011 at 1:10 pm |

God bless you and Uniwatch. And for sheer coolness of hoop socks, can you do any better than North Carolina’s home and away numbered stirrups?

• Kyle Allebach | March 2, 2011 at 5:39 pm |

I love that pic of Bob Cousy–he’s wearing Chucks. My favorite b-ball shoe of all time.

And it’s my favorite to wear.

• GORDEN C. | March 4, 2011 at 6:09 pm |

Please, I BEG…stop posting about sneakers. There are like 3 Jordans releases before those 7s drop. It was so random…and so wrong. Thats definatewly not the latest