Of Bears and Hounds

yogi.jpg

Yesterday I interviewed Under Armour founder/prexy Kevin Plank for a business article I’m working on. He had a lot of interesting things to say, none of which I can divulge here, unfortunately, but it would be fair to say that he did a lot of talking, I did a lot of listening, and for about half an hour I was deeply immersed in the world of compression fabrics.

So it was a little weird when I checked my e-mail after the interview and found a note from reader Hunter Johnson, who was checking in to tell me that our friends at Nike have whipped up a special compression undershirt for Alabama to wear against Auburn on November 18th — check it out.

I’ll pause for a minute here, just in case you’re too busy laughing.

The houndstooth band (which also appears on the short-sleeve version) echoes the houndstooth collar the Tide wore against Ole Miss a few weeks back. Both are a nod to Bear Bryant’s hat, which is pretty amusing, since it’s a safe bet that he never would’ve let his team dress in this mismatched-sleeved nightmare. (Then again, ol’ Bear didn’t always display the sharpest fashion sense, so who knows.)

Anyway: It was almost spooky (on Halloween, no less) to interview the guy who essentially the created base-layer undergarment market and then see the latest iteration of how low that market can sink. Kevin Plank, what has thou wrought?!

(Incidentally: While looking for Yogi-and-Huckleberry images to use at the top of the page, I found some pretty amazing-looking stuff, including this, this, this, and — my favorite — this.)

Uni Watch News Ticker: Monday’s discussion of athletes wearing mismatched footwear prompted this note from Tim Hall: “Wendell Tyler was photographed in Sports Illustrated while playing for the Rams in the mid-’80s wearing (I believe) one Adidas cleat and one Nike cleat.” Can anyone confirm? … Sad bit of college hockey news from Drew Hackney, who writes: “Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) in Troy, New York, has decided to de-emphasize one of the sports world’s best logo mascots: Puckman. RPI will still wear Puckman as a shoulder patch, but the jersey’s chest logo will now carry a stylized ‘RPI’ insignia.” … The Women’s World Volleyball Championship tourney is underway in Japan, and Jeremmy Brahm has noticed several interesting factoids: “Egypt has a women’s team, some members of which are wearing headscarves and long pants. Russia has their numbers on the back of the shorts, which is wrong — they’re supposed to be on the front of the shorts. And Azerbaijan has flames on their side panels.” … Good article here about two of our favorite subjects (with thanks to Drew Samuelson). … Interesting note buried in the middle of this roundup of Ohio State info: “Thad Matta, whose Ohio State men’s basketball team will wear redesigned white uniforms at home and scarlet on the road this season, would like to add a third set to the wardrobe: gray uniforms, last worn when Randy Ayers was coach. But Matta can’t bring the old ones out of mothballs, so it remains only a wish. ‘(Nike doesn’t) give those uniforms away,’ Matta said. ‘That’s a myth that we get whatever we want.’ A [new] set would cost about $6,000.” (With thanks to Dominic Litten for the tip.) … Latest chapter in the tale of U. of Wisconsin’s battle to police its “motion W” logo is here (courtesy of Mike Hughes). … Here’s a better view of Ohio State’s “AP” memorial decal, which was mentioned in yesterday’s Ticker. … Bryan Redemske notes that highly touted Japanese pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka will have to change his pant style when he jumps to MLB, because he wears those under-the-shoe straps to keep his pant legs down, which are banned on this side of the Pacific. … More evidence here of Darryl Dawkins’s mismatched shoes (with thanks to Kevin Gee). … Todd Michael Davis notes that Charlie Frye’s nameplate appears to be riding mighty low. … Scott M.X. Turner was doing some logo research and emerged with a few questions: “Is this the only time shoes have been featured in a logo (at least for a team without a shoe-specific name)? And did the Jets really wear this [for Dennis Byrd]? If so, did they really okay something with a Jesus fish?”

172 comments to Of Bears and Hounds

• PBJ | November 1, 2006 at 8:36 am |

Well I love talking hockey uniforms, nothing beats the occasional discussion of women’s volleyball. Keep those pics coming!!

• Dane | November 1, 2006 at 8:43 am |

From yesterday’s discussion of airport codes on jerseys (the PHX Suns):

I think having a YYZ Raptors jersey would be a good thing! Just imaging a big, chunky YYZ in white letters on a red jersey. That’s money. Well, Canadian money, anyway.

• Jonathon | November 1, 2006 at 8:52 am |

they can wear the YYZ jerseys only if it’s also a tribute night to Rush!

• Mark | November 1, 2006 at 8:54 am |

• Chris Hilf | November 1, 2006 at 8:59 am |

Ichthys, not Jesus fish.

• SpartyCuse | November 1, 2006 at 9:03 am |

• Chuck | November 1, 2006 at 9:09 am |

As far as teams with logos depiciting shoes – but the team’s name is not a shoe – the Albany Patroons of the Continental Basketball Association use this Dutch Shoe logo as part of their team name. Patroons, in case you’re wondering, were Dutch landlowners who were the first settlers in what is now New York.

• Stormy | November 1, 2006 at 9:28 am |

• MetsFan AZ | November 1, 2006 at 9:40 am |

I thought those *livestrong-esq

• Mayer | November 1, 2006 at 9:42 am |

I know there are some people on here who have mlb.tv subscriptions as well as screen-grabbing capabilities. Could one of you please do me a big favor? Could you screen-grab the “Hit it to the pitcher” sign from game 5 of the world series? I believe you can find it at 6:45:58 of the timeline in the mlb.tv archive. Thanks!

• MetsFan AZ | November 1, 2006 at 9:42 am |

sorry about that it’s still real early, i thought those livestrong-esque bracelets were against the rules now. Front page of ESPN.com, given my last post i won’t try the link

• Mayer | November 1, 2006 at 9:43 am |

• Wade | November 1, 2006 at 9:46 am |

[quote comment=”18053″]Depaul Uniforms DePaul University has new basketball uniforms, as well as memorial patches.[/quote]

I like the new Depaul uniforms. For once a new uniform with no shoulder stripes! They also remind me of the sweet throwbacks Alabama wore during last season.

• a arauz | November 1, 2006 at 9:47 am |

Looks as if DePaul is also commemorating their winningest era (early 80’s) with those Cavaliers/Marquette uniforms with the funky sidepanels.

• Bob A | November 1, 2006 at 9:48 am |

• Timmy D | November 1, 2006 at 9:50 am |

The new Adidas warm up pants have a pretty odd feature, a logo of the team at the knee of the left pant leg. I noticed it last night watching the Heat get their rings right before the Bulls destroyed them. I did not know if this was a Heat thing or an Adidas thing for the whole league. I could not find a picture of any other team with it so I went to the place where I knew i’d find the things the pros wear, the pro store. Looks kinda stupid to have a logo at the knee, they were also selling rbk pants with the logo a little bit higher.

• Columbus | November 1, 2006 at 9:59 am |

T-shirt

• Ed R. | November 1, 2006 at 10:00 am |

Not only did the Jets wear those for Dennis Byrd but I remember members of the New York Islanders having those on their helmets during that hockey season as well.

• Duh | November 1, 2006 at 10:08 am |

[quote comment=”18052″]Ichthys, not Jesus fish.[/quote]
    Nice work, Sherlock. Maybe next time you should actually read the article before you post it.

In English it refers to a symbol consisting of two intersecting arcs resembling the profile of a fish, used by early Christians as a secret symbol and is now known colloquially as the “Jesus fish.”

• Lou | November 1, 2006 at 10:22 am |

[quote comment=”18051″]what happened to the Sixers alternate in the ESPN column…it seems to be gone now.[/quote]

It appears to have been an inadvertent leak. But I will say it is sweet and I might have to get me one.

• Pat | November 1, 2006 at 10:33 am |

[quote comment=”18063″]Why were the heat wearing road uniforms last night in Miami, and the Bulls wearing white?[/quote]

They were wearing the red away uniforms when they won the title in Dallas last June. So, they wore those uniforms on the night they got their rings. Unfortunately it didn’t seem to make up for the fact that no one on that team seems to care besides Wade.

• Chris Doran | November 1, 2006 at 10:37 am |

[quote comment=”18066″]As the article refered to today states, Wisconsin is going to stay busy policing it’s logo cloners. This school is just one of a couple I see regularly just in the Houston area using the ‘Motion W’.[/quote]

I believe that is the aforementioned The Woodlands HS…

• Jonathon | November 1, 2006 at 10:51 am |

very retro. i like.

• Timmy D | November 1, 2006 at 10:51 am |

For all those talking about grass in domes yesterday failed to come up with the only non-retractable, non-movable field dome that had grass in it, the Astrodome. I learned this in high school from a teacher who was a massive baseball fan about how they had a grass field and a clear roof to allow the grass to get sunlight, but the players complained about the glare and they took the grass out and that led to astroturf.

Here is the story from Wikipedia:

When the Astrodome opened, it used a natural Bermuda grass playing surface. The dome’s ceiling contained numerous clear plastic panes made of Lucite. Players quickly complained that glare coming off of the panes made it impossible for them to track fly balls, so all of the panes were painted over, which solved the glare problem but caused the grass to die from lack of sunlight. For most of the 1965 season, the Astros played on green-painted dirt and dead grass. As the 1966 season approached, there was the possibility of the team playing on an all dirt infield.
    The solution was to install a new type of artificial grass on the field, ChemGrass, which became known as AstroTurf.

Also gotta love dem Blue Demon unis. I never got to see those teams cuz I was not born yet, but I went to a lot of games at the Rosemont Horizon with my dad and its a good idea to wake up the echoes from the Terry Cummings/Tyrone Corbin days. D-E-M-O-N-S!

• 13monkeys | November 1, 2006 at 10:53 am |

In the monday night football game it looked like Chad Jackson was taking the asymetrical Nike design to new levels:
    doh

• steve | November 1, 2006 at 11:06 am |
  • Tim | November 1, 2006 at 11:10 am |

Have you tried to order one of those custom Nikeid under armour type shirts? You can put that stupid thunderbolt or some other annoying graphics on it. What ever happened to something that was in school colors that had a uniform number on it and was classy? Simple IS good.

• Broker75 | November 1, 2006 at 11:11 am |

That Alabama undershirt looks wicked! I told the wife to pick me up one for Christmas. Are they even available for the public?

• Smail | November 1, 2006 at 11:13 am |

[quote comment=”18068″]It’s not a uniform, but it’s part of Nike’s Culture collection. (Gator Print, Houndstooth, etc.) I’m usually all for the Nike stuff most of you are against, but this is just hiddeous.

T-shirt[/quote]

Oh man, those are ugly. Who would pay $40 to wear those? Should be the other way around! I also don’t get the Texas shirt; like nobody’s ever finished 13-0 before? Now, the 2002 Buckeyes were the first team to go 14-0, that I would understand.

• JJD | November 1, 2006 at 11:18 am |

I was watching FSN last night and they were showing the 1991 Washington-Arizona State game, and I was ASTONISHED at how several Washington players, including QB Billy Joe Hobert, had COMPLETELY different fonts on their nameplates and numerals than some of the others. I’m trying to find some photos but if anyone else has some that would be great.

Hobert’s “12” was definitely a sans-serif font and his nameplate featured letters that were more block-style and spaced further apart than many of the other guys.

If you look closely at this photo, you can see that Greg Lewis’ #20 was in a sans-serif font, while in the background of the Don James-photo the #54 behind him clearly has serifs in the “4”. Those could have bben taken in the same game, because it was entirely common on the early ’90s Huskies.

I could also tell that Russell Athletic was the uniform supplier.

• Kenny | November 1, 2006 at 11:23 am |

Anyone notice that UAB had 68 on the back of their helmets last night?

Picture here

Anyone know the reason why?

• Kenny | November 1, 2006 at 11:30 am |

[quote comment=”18086″]Anyone notice that UAB had 68 on the back of their helmets last night?

Picture here

Anyone know the reason why?[/quote]

Nevermind, I think I found why

• Jonathon | November 1, 2006 at 11:33 am |

Check out Matsuzaka’s jersey in the pic on the espn.com MLB homepage:

Never seen a pinstripe uni with so much space between the stripes. Kinda like it, actually. This way, it doesn’t seem so much like a Yankees rip-off, or rip-off of other traditionally pinstriped unis.

• Troy Ragsdale | November 1, 2006 at 11:51 am |

Shoes in logos? I guess it depends on what type of shoe you’re talking about. There are several hockey teams with skates in the logo. The Denver Spurs had a cowboy boot as the main part of the logo, though it had a blade attached.

• Phil Pereira | November 1, 2006 at 11:57 am |

click me

• Greg | November 1, 2006 at 11:59 am |

[quote comment=”18081″]no comment[/quote]

Nascar Hockey League?

• Jonathon | November 1, 2006 at 12:12 pm |

click me[/quote]

they probably should have done the letters in two colors, so it would contrast, depending on what part of the jersey it was applied.

• Scott M.X. Turner | November 1, 2006 at 12:18 pm |

• Scott M.X. Turner | November 1, 2006 at 12:19 pm |

Well, saying it in standard English would’ve made the point more firmly…

• N. | November 1, 2006 at 12:50 pm |

click me[/quote]

These are the number/name configurations that adidas puts on these uniforms in European Competition. Normally, Newcastle would wear the standardized number/font that is used in the premier league, which is gold with white trim.

Obv. Adidas has not paid attention to this nuance.

• Ben Charlier | November 1, 2006 at 1:01 pm |

• Kenny | November 1, 2006 at 1:04 pm |

Did the Lakers always have the “L” on their shorts?

• Ethan R | November 1, 2006 at 1:08 pm |

I was looking through some STL Cardinals boards and someone was asking about the best logos in baseball and someone posted the following:

I pretty well agree with your entire post, particularly as to STL being best, and NY the runner-up. I would point out (I’m probably showing my age), however, that when the great ones were created, they were called emblems rather than “logos.” It is, after all, the years of tradition–as well as the style–that make them great, which is why the “logos” of the upstart Mets and Astros fair so poorly compared to the emblems of the St. Louis Cardinals or New York Yankees.

On wikipedia, they give the following distinctions between symbols and emblems:

The crescent shape is a symbol of the moon; it is an emblem of Islam. The Christian cross is a symbol of the Crucifixion; it is an emblem of sacrifice.

• Jason | November 1, 2006 at 1:19 pm |

Nike is making gray Ohio State basketball uniform, so I’m guessing they’ll wear tem at some point

• Brian from Short Island | November 1, 2006 at 1:24 pm |

[quote comment=”18096″][quote comment=”18091″]Here’s an image I just saw on the soccernet section of ESPN.com. I hadn’t seen the backs of the Newcastle jersey, what’s the deal with the name being white and crossing into the white stripes of the uniform? Couldn’t they do a nameplate like they have with the number? Puzzling to say the least..

click me[/quote]

Obv. Adidas has not paid attention to this nuance.[/quote]
    Nike’s Champions League jerseys feature solid backs for teams that usually have striped or hooped backs, like Celtic normal and champions league> (‘Mon the hoops!) and Barça

• JSwerdy | November 1, 2006 at 1:29 pm |

i commented on this at the bottom of yesterday’s comments page

from the yesterdays miami herald

the heat are wearing their road unis because its what they wore the night they won the championship. chicago is accomodating us (and embarassing us as we speak)

“SEE RED,

WEAR WHITE

The Heat will wear their road red uniforms tonight, the same uniforms worn during the Game 6 victory over Dallas. Chicago will wear their home white uniforms. Heat fans are asked to dress in their ‘White Hot’ gear as they did during last season’s playoff run.”

• JSwerdy | November 1, 2006 at 1:31 pm |

forgot to quote the original

• specs | November 1, 2006 at 1:39 pm |

[quote comment=”18101″]Thoughts? Is there a difference between emblems, logos, symbols, etc. in sports? Once again, may be a bit nit-picky or nerdy but I find the concept interesting.[/quote]

According to the dictionary, an emblem is used as a distinctive badge of a nation, organization or family. A logo is a symbol adopted by an organization to identify its products, uniforms, vehicles, etc. I would say “logo” is more appropriate for sports, but emblem doesn’t necessarily sound wrong.

• Ethan R | November 1, 2006 at 1:45 pm |

So using those definitions, perhaps the swoosh is a symbol for Nike, but an emblem for an organization of sucky design?

• Teebz | November 1, 2006 at 1:46 pm |

[quote comment=”18092″][quote comment=”18081″]no comment[/quote]

Nascar Hockey League?[/quote]

This is more than common in European hockey leagues. Since the teams are funded by sponsorship dollars, and rarely by billionaires, the teams are allowed to sell uniform area as billboards. It is advertising for the company who buys the jersey area, and the team makes some coin.

In the linked photo above, however, that’s what we describe as “overkill”.

• steve | November 1, 2006 at 1:52 pm |

[quote comment=”18112″][quote comment=”18092″][quote comment=”18081″]no comment[/quote]

Nascar Hockey League?[/quote]

In the linked photo above, however, that’s what we describe as “overkill”.[/quote]
    It’s from the German hockey league. DEL Bundesliga.
    So it woundn’t be NASCAR Hockey League, but DTM hockey league.

• Nick | November 1, 2006 at 1:55 pm |

On the subject of athletes wearing mismatching footwear, I recently found a hockey card of Maple Leafs defensemen Tomas Kaberle wearing two differant brands of skates during his rookie season in ’98/’99 (look at the patch).

On his left foot he is wearing his usual classic CMM Tacks, but on his right foot he’s wearing a Bauer Vapor.

The fact that he’s wearing a Bauer is very odd to me, as Tomas Kaberle has worn classic Tacks exclusively since he joined the Leafs nearly ten years ago.

• dp | November 1, 2006 at 2:04 pm |

[quote comment=”18057″]I’m betting Nike has trademarked that goofy symbol on the left sleeve above the swoosh. If it’s their mark, and they have the swoosh, and both get seen during the game, it’s an NCAA violation for the Tide, for which the NCAA will slap Alabama State with an addition three years of probation.

Paul, have you checked the NCAA database for the number of logo violations over the years?[/quote]

Why wouldn’t they trademark the symbol? It’s the logo for their current football design. It’s the same as getting the Jordan Jumpman logo trademarked.

You can see that Nike is using this logo on a number of their football designs:

Pro Vent Shirt
    Revolution Loose Fit Shirt
    NikeID – Football

• a arauz | November 1, 2006 at 2:05 pm |

click me[/quote]

• clay | November 1, 2006 at 2:08 pm |

it is the university of alabama not alabama state. alabama state mascot is the hornet and is a hbcu in the swac conference. yes that shirt if awful and hideous and makes me worry what they will do to the uniform next, which better be nothing. and as you can tell the houndstooth pattern is nothing like the bear wore. since the bear rarely wore what is considered the traditional houndstooth pattern, as seen on the sleeve and jersey. bear did wear a striped pattern hat, that is kinda plaid, kinda checkered, not houndstooth. i talked to several textile and fashion majors who concur. i can find two picture of him in a “houndstooth” pattern both of which are in the sports illustrated commerative edition this year. nevertheless, it is atrocious and i am hurt by what nike is trying to do. and mr paul sir, the bear looks great, he always did.

• a arauz | November 1, 2006 at 2:10 pm |

[quote comment=”18095″]Well, saying it in standard English would’ve made the point more firmly…[/quote]

Yer forgiven, Scott. Nice find on that pic of Ol’ Ray. Those are some sweet unis !

• Joey | November 1, 2006 at 2:14 pm |

[quote comment=”18104″]Nike is making gray Ohio State basketball uniform, so I’m guessing they’ll wear them at some point[/quote]

Wow, check out the 4 Oregon monstrosities (Green, White, Yellow, and Black) among the “Other Teams”.

• AJ | November 1, 2006 at 2:15 pm |

• David | November 1, 2006 at 2:15 pm |

[quote comment=”18098″][quote comment=”18097″]It looks like Lamar Odom found a way around the NBA tights ban, complete with tag flappage.[/quote]

Did the Lakers always have the “L” on their shorts?[/quote]

I believe those are calf compressions sleeves, and mostlikely to legitimately prevent cramps.
    i don’t think it’s a style thing

• Broker75 | November 1, 2006 at 2:26 pm |

Is that a road Detroit Tigers http://www.littlenic...“D”? on Little Nicky’s father’s robe?

• Broker75 | November 1, 2006 at 2:29 pm |
  • Chad G | November 1, 2006 at 2:29 pm |

[quote comment=”18101″]This post may be a bit nit-picky…but hey, we are members of UniWatch so if we don’t pay attention to the details, who will!

On wikipedia, they give the following distinctions between symbols and emblems:

Damnit I just wrote a whole thing with links and it said I had an invalid security code…so here is an abridged version…

It’s funny how they call The Yankees and Cardinals symbols emblems and the Mets symbol a “logo” when it is the same symbol that was previously used by the Giants which originally debued in 1909, the same year the Yankees first used theirs. The Giants actually had an interlocking NY in 1908 but it is different.

• Jeff E. | November 1, 2006 at 2:29 pm |

Who likes short shorts?
    We like short shorts!

(well, not on men anyway)

• David | November 1, 2006 at 2:31 pm |

Does anyone else like SMU’s uniforms as much as I do?
    Great colors, cool helmet logo, the piping is sweet, but not distracting, and they are as far away from the unitard look as possible.

UAB’s aren’t too shabby either.

• Phil Pereira | November 1, 2006 at 2:31 pm |

click me[/quote]
    That’s because that’s a picture snapped during a european match: UEFA Cup to be specific. The euro rule is that teams w/ stripes have to block out their backs for a number to be read properly. You can also see that the Premiership font has been displaced in this shirt, replaced by Adidas’ 3 lined number and rounded-lettered names.[/quote]

• Jeff E. | November 1, 2006 at 2:31 pm |

• Chad G | November 1, 2006 at 2:45 pm |

[quote comment=”18142″][quote comment=”18094″]DePaul’s new unis aren’t a 1980s re-do, but rather, a much better and more from the ’50s, when the young Ray Meyers leading the Blue Demons.[/quote]

Who likes short shorts?
    We like short shorts!

(well, not on men anyway)[/quote]

[quote comment=”18145″]Hmmm…not sure why my previous comment was posted as a hyperlink. I never clicked on the “link” button.[/quote]

The person you commented never closed their link tag

Here it is closed

• barney | November 1, 2006 at 2:48 pm |

• Chad G | November 1, 2006 at 2:48 pm |

• Chad G | November 1, 2006 at 2:49 pm |

[quote comment=”18148″][quote comment=”18130″]This Eastbay site has all kinds of new college bball unis – Oregon, Illinois, Florida (new orange jersey), Ohio St, Duke, NC, Mich. St…weird that Eastbay would sell them before many of them have been debuted by the teams… also, can anyone describe what the new Sixers alt looks like? One the Sixers website, it has a picture of their mascot wearing what looks like their current jersey, but in red. Is it just a red version of their white/blacks? Thanks.[/quote]

It’s red with that basketball swooshy thing but with Philia instead of sixers and some blue side panels and some white trim I think…colors refecting there past.[/quote]

whoops, Phila not Philia

• Kenny | November 1, 2006 at 3:14 pm |

[quote comment=”18143″]Does anyone else like SMU’s uniforms as much as I do?

UAB’s aren’t too shabby either.[/quote]

YES! I picked them as my Dynasty team in NCAA 07 for their uni’s

Love the Red at home with the Navy helmet, plus the mustang

• Al | November 1, 2006 at 3:17 pm |

Being from Iowa, I love the fact the University of Wisconsin is going after Waukee High. Yet another Badger-related inferiority complex! We have enought trouble with the U of I going after Southern Mississippi’s new Golden Eagle. Close? I don’t know, check it out. We have two schools (Cedar Rapids Washington and WACO (prounounced Way-ko, easy Bucky fans) that use the exact helmet logo of the CFL’s Winnipeg Blue Bombers? To my knowledge, there has been no outcry by the Bombers. I do know that when I was younger, the St. Louis football Cardinals made Maquoketa (pronounced Mah-ko-keh-ta)add a helmet stripe. Anybody know of any other hard comings-down by pro teams?

• Al | November 1, 2006 at 3:20 pm |

In addition, Bill Snyder (ex-coach at Kansas St. and formerly an assistant at Iowa) allowed Cedar Rapids Kennedy (and other Iowa schools) to use K-State’s “PowerCat” as a logo.

• AJ | November 1, 2006 at 3:22 pm |

• Jordan | November 1, 2006 at 3:26 pm |

That is the single most offensive thing I’ve ever seen in sports.

• Richard | November 1, 2006 at 3:44 pm |

• JSwerdy | November 1, 2006 at 3:51 pm |

That is the single most offensive thing I’ve ever seen in sports.[/quote]

they had a whole special on outside the lines a couple weeks back about the invasion of religion into sports, like the atlanta braves had a post game gathering promoted by evangelicals. and sponsoring pre game “moses” bobble head dolls at some minor league teams.

• AJ | November 1, 2006 at 3:53 pm |

really? I don’t see new designs, just slight updates (maybe a font change or two) in a couple of the teams…[/quote]

Louisville, Notre Dame, and Tennessee look new to me. Maybe I’m wrong though.

• Warren Thompson | November 1, 2006 at 4:04 pm |

[/quote]

YES! I picked them as my Dynasty team in NCAA 07 for their uni’s

Love the Red at home with the Navy helmet, plus the mustang[/quote]

• Richard | November 1, 2006 at 4:06 pm |

[quote comment=”18166″][quote comment=”18161″][quote comment=”18157″]Here are some more new college bball unis from Eastbay – these are the adidas schools. Many of them look like new designs.[/quote]

Louisville, Notre Dame, and Tennessee look new to me. Maybe I’m wrong though.[/quote]

Look mostly the same as before.

• David | November 1, 2006 at 4:10 pm |

[quote comment=”18172″][quote comment=”18153″][quote comment=”18143″]Does anyone else like SMU’s uniforms as much as I do?

[/quote]

YES! I picked them as my Dynasty team in NCAA 07 for their uni’s

Love the Red at home with the Navy helmet, plus the mustang[/quote]

It’s a good thing you never saw the SMU unforms back in the era of Doak Walker and Kyle Rote: red helmet and red jersey at home (white jersey on the road), and plain gray pants home and away. No blue, no mustang.[/quote]

That would be pretty disturbing

• GoTerriers | November 1, 2006 at 4:14 pm |

[quote comment=”18124″]it is the university of alabama not alabama state. alabama state mascot is the hornet and is a hbcu in the swac conference. yes that shirt if awful and hideous and makes me worry what they will do to the uniform next, which better be nothing. and as you can tell the houndstooth pattern is nothing like the bear wore. since the bear rarely wore what is considered the traditional houndstooth pattern, as seen on the sleeve and jersey. bear did wear a striped pattern hat, that is kinda plaid, kinda checkered, not houndstooth. i talked to several textile and fashion majors who concur. i can find two picture of him in a “houndstooth” pattern both of which are in the sports illustrated commerative edition this year.

nevertheless, it is atrocious and i am hurt by what nike is trying to do. and mr paul sir, the bear looks great, he always did.[/quote]

Clay,

I admire your tenacity on the subject of “houndstooth” . . .

• Matthew S. | November 1, 2006 at 4:14 pm |

UAB’s aren’t too shabby either.[/quote]

YES! I picked them as my Dynasty team in NCAA 07 for their uni’s

Love the Red at home with the Navy helmet, plus the mustang[/quote]

I too love SMU’s uniforms (but I’m biased since I’m an alum). The red home jerseys were originally alternates. When SMU switched to their current design in 2003, the home uniforms were a direct copy of Ole Miss’s uniforms. The helmets went from white to navy (a white outline of the Mustang on the helmet was added in 2004, which makes them look much better), and the home jerseys were navy with no piping. They wore even originally planned to wear these with navy pants for the dreaded monochromatic look. The team started wearing the red jerseys at home during the 2004 and I don’t think that the navy jerseys have made a return since. In 2005, the team moved farther away again from the Ole Miss template by changing the leg stripe to a flare down the pants leg side and matches up with a new navy side panel.

I hated the new uniforms at first, but with the changes they’ve made, I really like them now. But I’ll always be nostalgic for these: http://smumustangs.c...

Incidentally, when I was looking for a picture, I came across this Southwest Conference helmet and uniform page. Anyone seen this site before? http://swchelmets.tr...

Very cool stuff on there.

• a arauz | November 1, 2006 at 4:15 pm |

That’s a serious chest condition on the Carmelo throwback! Poor Girl.

• Latrell | November 1, 2006 at 4:17 pm |

Not quite shoes, but the Canucks had a skate in their logo back in the 80s.

• a arauz | November 1, 2006 at 4:23 pm |

UAB’s aren’t too shabby either.[/quote]

YES! I picked them as my Dynasty team in NCAA 07 for their uni’s

Love the Red at home with the Navy helmet, plus the mustang[/quote]

Very cool stuff on there.[/quote]

• GoTerriers | November 1, 2006 at 4:25 pm |

That is the single most offensive thing I’ve ever seen in sports.[/quote]

i think they even mentioned a minor league hockey team (it might have been a semi-pro football team) wearing those religious jerseyes[/quote]

There’s actually an historical precedent, going all the way back to the turn of the 20th Century (that’s the 1900’s for those of you who, like me, have trouble remembering this stuff). The House of David, a religious community based in Michigan fielded its own team that regularly played against Negro League teams and Major League Barnstorming teams (back when players did that sort of thing in the off-season to make a buck)

A great collection of photos and uniforms and logos on their website . .

• Matthew S. | November 1, 2006 at 4:29 pm |

[quote comment=”18180″][quote comment=”18177″][quote comment=”18153″][quote comment=”18143″]Does anyone else like SMU’s uniforms as much as I do?

UAB’s aren’t too shabby either.[/quote]

YES! I picked them as my Dynasty team in NCAA 07 for their uni’s

Love the Red at home with the Navy helmet, plus the mustang[/quote]

Very cool stuff on there.[/quote]
    Love the old SMU helmets there, but nothing comes close to that ol’ nasty purple TCU helmet w/ that very ugly, very cool Horned Frog. Go FRogs![/quote]

Just noticed this too: http://smumustangs.c...

• GoTerriers | November 1, 2006 at 4:34 pm |

[quote comment=”18182″]

Look at how ripped Craig James’s jersey is in that picture (and Eric Dickerson’s kick ass goggles). When exactly did football uniforms change from being crappy, easily ripped jerseys to the product of today?[/quote]

Probably when the NCAA banned the tear-away jerseys . . .

• rick | November 1, 2006 at 4:35 pm |

talking about mismatched shoes: The son of Dutch soccer great Johan Cruyff, Jordi, is by my knowledge the only athlete to mismatch branding on the same shoe. There must be pics of it out there somewhere, but I couldn”t find them with a quick google.

The story: the elder Cruyff, after his carreer, went into producing soccer shoes and sneakers.

When his son became a professional soccer player with Barcelona his father’s company was the obviuous shoe-supplier and contracts were signed. However the Jordi preferred Adidas to play on. No problem, since the could simply paint the famous Adidas stripes black and glue a Cruyff logo to the side of the shoe. However, pictures of Jordi during a tackle show the original Adidas logo on the sole of the shoe. Some endorsement…

• Matthew S. | November 1, 2006 at 4:38 pm |

[quote comment=”18183″][quote comment=”18182″]

Probably when the NCAA banned the tear-away jerseys . . .[/quote]

Yeah that seems like something I should have been able to self evident to me…what can I say, I’m focused mainly on not passing at out my desk while my boss is roaming the halls.

• Matthew S. | November 1, 2006 at 4:39 pm |

God my grammar sucks today…

• chris | November 1, 2006 at 4:45 pm |

It looks like since the football team got new unis the Oregon basketball team has brand new ones too. Black, yellow white and green ones just like the football team

• jakethesnake | November 1, 2006 at 4:52 pm |

[quote comment=”18181″][quote comment=”18165″][quote comment=”18159″][quote comment=”18147″]The comments about the Jesus fish got me thinking about these jerseys: http://www.christian...[/quote]

That is the single most offensive thing I’ve ever seen in sports.[/quote]

A great collection of photos and uniforms and logos on their website . .[/quote]

I actually have an original promotional poster for the House of David. When working at Marshall University, I found it in the archives. It is one of those classic yellowish promotional posters with red lettering. The HoD were playing the local Huntington (WV) Redbirds. No one was sure why it was in the archives. It was in pretty good shape, except for a small tear at the top, but it looks awesome framed. One of my favorite sports pieces. It was from the 30s. I’ll try to remember to take a photo and post it.

• OCWill | November 1, 2006 at 4:55 pm |

[quote comment=”18187″]God my grammar sucks today…[/quote]

Actually, I think the correct form is “God, my grammar sucks today . . .”

just razzin’ ya :)

• that guy | November 1, 2006 at 5:13 pm |

T-shirt[/quote]

this usc shirt reminds me of those puma soccer jerseys (the ones all those teams used during the world cup)

(same shirt, different color)

• Tyler | November 1, 2006 at 5:13 pm |

The Cedar Rapids Kernels, Angels single A team, have released their new logo.

• Nolan | November 1, 2006 at 5:14 pm |

That is the single most offensive thing I’ve ever seen in sports.[/quote]

More than this?

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | November 1, 2006 at 5:16 pm |

b. rarely wore houndstooth?
    1966
    1981
    thats a 15 year span!

• bud | November 1, 2006 at 5:24 pm |

• Ian K | November 1, 2006 at 5:30 pm |

[quote comment=”18180″]

Very cool stuff on there.

Thanks for the shoutout, arauz. As a TCU alum I of course have to agree. A lot of teams have red, but not many have purple and TCU always makes it look good.

• Kenny | November 1, 2006 at 5:35 pm |

Those white SMU helmets look good. Those white pants with the stripes look good too. Good to see them making a run for a bowl.

• Minna H | November 1, 2006 at 5:43 pm |

[quote comment=”18198″]a. dont most nfl kickers wear off brand shoes, ie. an addidas copa mundial to kick, and any other brand turf to plant?
    b. rarely wore houndstooth?
    1966
    1981
    thats a 15 year span![/quote]

todd, are you trying to get clay riled up again?

Jordan, why are the Christian shirts offensive? The company is a Christian-based one that wants to spread the word. I’m not a Christian, but am I missing something here?

Mark in Shiga, the Chinese characters don’t show up, so I do not know if you are using the correct characters—sorry.

As for the ‘Motion W’, the article had a good point: there are so many ways to creatively draw a letter.

Oh, the TimberWolveS bookend capitals—I like.

• Minna H | November 1, 2006 at 5:45 pm |

Ah, shit. I erred again. About the ‘Motion W’, it should read, “There are only so many ways…”

Sorry.

• Chad G | November 1, 2006 at 5:45 pm |

[quote comment=”18199″]does anyone else think that this is really close to turning into an adidas uniform? hmmm… on phil knight’s boys no less. interesting.[/quote]

That is awsome! I can’t believe that slipped through the cracks

• AJ | November 1, 2006 at 5:47 pm |

That’s what I was thinking also! The stripes on the side look very much like adidas stripes. Very odd that Nike would design those.

• Matthew S. | November 1, 2006 at 5:51 pm |

[quote comment=”18201″][quote comment=”18180″]

Very cool stuff on there.

Keep your eye on them in Las Vegas on Saturday, most likely wearing the white jerseys with purple numbers. Too bad they don’t play SMU this year…[/quote]

Don’t the Mountain West and Conference USA tie into the Ft. Worth Bowl? It’s a slim possibility, but SMU and TCU could meet this year after all (you know for first time since 21-10 win by the Ponies in Dallas last year) and in a bowl game no less.

• Matthew S. | November 1, 2006 at 5:58 pm |

Or better yet, the TCU helmets here from 1974-76 with diagonal lettering are just fantastic (though of course still inferior to SMU’s helmets, but I digress…)

You’ll have to scroll down the timeline:

• Kris McInnis | November 1, 2006 at 5:59 pm |

Nascar Hockey League?[/quote]

Apparently sponsorship spot is only worth $124.56 per company. I paid $2.50, so my signature should be somewhere on the bottom of the left skate boot.

And also, I’m really surprised that Paul’s ‘blaspheming’ of the Bear’s attire hasn’t opened the defensive floodgate for a certain Southern contingent. But I digress. Like I said a few days ago, that whole set of undershirts, and whole ‘Culture’ line in general, look absolutely garish and retarded. But no worries for Nike: so long as it’s black, white, and vaguely resembles a checkered pattern, someone in Tuscaloosa will drop the 40 bucks on it.

• Ian K | November 1, 2006 at 5:59 pm |

[quote comment=”18209″][quote comment=”18201″][quote comment=”18180″]

Very cool stuff on there.

TCU’s uniforms would look so much better without the black. I mean who honestly thinks that a dark purple jersey with black pants looks good? When has that ever looked good? I’d really like to see TCU return to those helmets from the 80s, now those were nice.[/quote]

I agree on the helmets…this 80s TCU logo is making a retro comeback on t-shirts around Fort Worth.

Good call on the bowl game – you are right with the tie-ins. The Fort Worth Bowl began my senior year at TCU (featuring TCU as well), but I found it hard to justify buying a ticket at a stadium where I had seen 4 years’ worth of home games for free. Thus, I didn’t go, and they lost.

• Minna H | November 1, 2006 at 6:28 pm |

Again with Michael Silver and Cal uni colors. First question in the mailbag.

Cal Redux

Royal blue vs. navy. Discuss.

• Paul Lukas | November 1, 2006 at 6:35 pm |

• barney | November 1, 2006 at 6:51 pm |

[quote comment=”18178″][quote comment=”18147″]The comments about the Jesus fish got me thinking about these jerseys: http://www.christian...[/quote]

That’s a serious chest condition on the Carmelo throwback! Poor Girl.[/quote]

Here name is Eve.

• Stink | November 1, 2006 at 6:54 pm |

WOO-HOO!!!

Got my newest jersey in the mail today!

Wolverhamptons 02-04 away shirt!

btw- doubly cool, I work for Frito-lay :-)

• BtotheE | November 1, 2006 at 7:03 pm |

Someone said this earlier, but here is a kicker not worried about his shoe choices.Here. Atleast they are the same brand, just not exactly the same color.

• Brian from Short Island | November 1, 2006 at 7:18 pm |

[quote comment=”18217″]WOO-HOO!!!

Got my newest jersey in the mail today!

Wolverhamptons 02-04 away shirt!

btw- doubly cool, I work for Frito-lay :-)[/quote]
    lol, my school wears the admiral shirt in that style.

• A.J. Zydzik | November 1, 2006 at 7:21 pm |

[quote comment=”18217″]WOO-HOO!!!

Got my newest jersey in the mail today!

Wolverhamptons 02-04 away shirt!

btw- doubly cool, I work for Frito-lay :-)[/quote]

• Stink | November 1, 2006 at 7:32 pm |

[quote comment=”18225″]

Dont like those Wolves jerseys, I like the orange-ish ones they are wearing this year[/quote]

They wear the orange-yellows every year. That’s their regular home kit. The Blacks are their aways, and they’ve had some white 3rds too….

this years homes: http://us.st11.yimg....

• Kyle O. | November 1, 2006 at 7:42 pm |

As much as people don’t like Nike here. Being from Cleveland it sure is nice to see these back

• Kyle O. | November 1, 2006 at 7:52 pm |

[quote comment=”18214″][quote comment=”18184″]talking about mismatched shoes: The son of Dutch soccer great Johan Cruyff, Jordi, is by my knowledge the only athlete to mismatch branding on the same shoe.[/quote]

Mark Mihalik, where are you? Please respond to the quote shown above with your photo of Nomar wearing a Nike cleat with a Reebok tongue (or was it the other way around..?)![/quote]
    Paul- As a former college soccer player, it is quite common for players to doctor their shoes. Many people are particular about the type they wear. I was at a school that switched brands from adidas to nike halfway through my career. While with adidas many of the players wwore black nike shoes, colored the swoosh, and had 3 stripes taken off adidas shoes and sewed them onto the shoes… the same sort of thing happened when we switched brands… people took off the three stripes and put a swoocsh on… This doesn’t happen at the professional level much since players have individual contratcs but happens at the college level often. I dont have any photo evidence but i would look at some of the bigger adidas schools that are good at soccer, mainly Indiana, Louisville, UCLA, Akron and others, Ill ask friends if they have any of their old boots left

• Brandon Davis | November 1, 2006 at 7:59 pm |

• Clevo | November 1, 2006 at 8:06 pm |

[quote comment=”18144″][quote comment=”18121″][quote comment=”18091″]Here’s an image I just saw on the soccernet section of ESPN.com. I hadn’t seen the backs of the Newcastle jersey, what’s the deal with the name being white and crossing into the white stripes of the uniform? Couldn’t they do a nameplate like they have with the number? Puzzling to say the least..

click me[/quote]

I get that, but what I was commenting on what that white letters were used for the name, so they have white lettering on the white stripes, so only the letters on the black stripe are seen. It would have made more sense to extend the number area to include the name in an all black field along with the number, if they care about players’ names being seen.[/quote]

Isnt it because the home jersey must have a certain percentage of the color, and the white jersey must have a certain percentage of white if striped.

If I remember correctly, during the world cup Croatia or Czech (whichever one wears the checkered red and white kit) had to add so much white to their uni to make it wearable as an “away” kit. Although I think they added it to the part that was tucked in.

Sorry I didnt look it up any further, 30 Rock just came on.

• Chad G | November 1, 2006 at 8:12 pm |

[quote comment=”18231″]In the course of a uniform design conversation, our Lacrosse coach asked a rhetorical question about any team who would wear pink and purple, which got me to wondering, is there any team that actually has a pink/purple color combo. Oh, and no worries, we’re black and gold.[/quote]

I am a penn state alum and it is lore that our original colors were pink and black but the uniforms eventually fadded to navy and white which are the colors that remain to this day.

• clay | November 1, 2006 at 9:02 pm |

todd as you can clearly tell those patterns are totally different. just as the pattern on the jersey and the nike undershirt, the first picture is in fact houndstooth. that first picture is one of the same ones used in the magazine which i spoke of and the same picture on the latest bio on bear bryant, the last coach. the other picture shows the multicolored hat the bear often wore. as one can clearly tell those patterns are totally different. that second pattern is not houndstooth. he did wear that hat often, the second one, but not the first one. that is closer to something like a check plaid, not houndstooth, which interlocks.
    goterriers, i appreciate your love of my love of houndstooth.

• Dee | November 1, 2006 at 9:04 pm |

• Brinke Guthrie | November 1, 2006 at 9:09 pm |

Tyler definately wore two brands at one time- think I saw it in a Super Bowl issue of SI..maybe rams v steelers.

• Original Jim | November 1, 2006 at 9:23 pm |

In tonight’s Celtics game, Paul Pierce is wearing a headband with the number 2 on it, next to the NBA logo. The 2 for Red Auerbach, as the Celtics retired the number in honor of him years ago.

And now I must refer to myself as Original Jim, as someone else has cybersquatted my moniker :)

• TJ | November 1, 2006 at 9:28 pm |

The new RPI sweaters give us a great chance to test the centralized logo vs. stretched out logo theory for goalies. We should keep an eye on the GAA and compare it to last year’s numbers.

• UMD_Chris | November 1, 2006 at 9:28 pm |

There are two Terps basketball jerseys out on the market: one made of mesh with tackle-twill numbers and school name:

LINK

And one made of screen-printed numbers and school name and a cheaper non-mesh fabric:

LINK

• Kris McInnis | November 1, 2006 at 9:29 pm |

This isn’t really uniform-related, but I’m watching the Boise/Fresno game on ESPN, and Boise St.’s fans alternating blue and orange by stadium section is pretty damn cool. Sure looks better than my orange-and-blue school’s campaign of the ‘ALL-ORANGE’ mockery they’ve sold off on everyone down here….

But I guess, I better make this comment uniform related to save it. Umm…. some Boise St. players are wearing blue chinstraps while others are wearing white…? Eh…? Nothing? Well, I tried. Was a little distacted by the Fresno St. “You-can-major-in-making-and-drinking-WINE-here!!” commercial that just aired.

• Mark | November 1, 2006 at 9:37 pm |

Maybe someone can grab a screen shot

• Andrew | November 1, 2006 at 9:38 pm |

Rasheed is going headband-less. Looks weird.

• Andy from KC | November 1, 2006 at 10:00 pm |

These links were posted on Uni Watch a few months back … I swear I will never be able to get this uniform out of my head. Ouch, babyVERYouch!

• jeff in detroit | November 1, 2006 at 10:09 pm |

• A.J. Zydzik | November 1, 2006 at 10:10 pm |

• JSwerdy | November 1, 2006 at 10:19 pm |

Vassar’s schools colors are pink and grey, but they changed their unis back in the day when the school went coed heres the quote and link

*The original colors of the college were gray and rose, intended to symbolize “the rose of dawn breaking through the gray of women’s intellectual situation,” or “the dawning of women’s education out of the grayness of its former state.” In the late 1970s, the pinkish-rose was darkened to burgundy. However, pink is used instead of maroon for the graduation hoods. The official colors are burgundy and gray. http://experts.about...

im trying to find an old pic of pink unis

• JSwerdy | November 1, 2006 at 10:22 pm |

School Colors Changed at Request of New Male Students

In the early seventies, around the time that men were first admitted to the college, Vassar changed its school colors from “the rose light of the dawn of women’s education breaking through the grey of former years” to a darker maroon and grey. The story goes that a group of male athletes, feeling too effeminate wearing pink athletic gear, circulated a petition to change the color, and the administration caved. Colton Johnson, Dean of Studies at the time of the switch, maintains that the colors were changed because of budget cuts; ordering custom-made pink uniforms was much more costly than the readily-available maroon, and so the school made the switch.

kinda interesting, still looking for pics

• Minna H | November 1, 2006 at 10:50 pm |

Notes from the ‘Wolves-Sac game:

1. The stripe on the left leg, the one that matches the neck, isn’t as annoying on tv an it is in the pic on Chris Creamer’s site which is not working right now.

2. In fact, the aforementioned stripe is barely visible, causing me to waste several minutes of viewing time to ensure that it was there.

3. They were wearing the white unis, which I don’t like as much as the black ones.

4. Either KG did not get the memo about extraneous sweatbands or he didn’t care because he was sporting one on his elbow.

5. Bibby had two on his legs right below the knees, but I think they were braces of some sort.

6. The purple Sac unis are flat-out hideous.

• that guy | November 1, 2006 at 11:03 pm |

• Stink | November 1, 2006 at 11:12 pm |

[quote comment=”18258″]i know someone mentioned the bayern-sporting lisbon game yesterday. look at this pic. specifically, the bayern players’ socks. that guy on the far right has the stripes further apart then everyone else. i just thought that was weird.[/quote]

that was me….

His striping is the same but he has his top stripe tucked into his shin guard. The stipe on the bottom is the Tape holding his shinguard in place…although, the guy right next to him only has 1 stripe

• Clevo | November 1, 2006 at 11:17 pm |

• Kenny | November 1, 2006 at 11:18 pm |

PHX just landed on ESPN

for those of you who missed this posting:

• Sam | November 1, 2006 at 11:34 pm |

Here are the Celtics Uniforms with the Black “Red” patch written in Green. I know we have see what they would look like, but this is them in game use…by the way is a season long thing?

• Sam | November 1, 2006 at 11:36 pm |

http://sports.espn.g... Thats where they are

• Mike | November 1, 2006 at 11:41 pm |

Thanks for putting the article about Wisconsin’s motion W on your site.

This is about a FREAKING letter not a mascot!

What’s next? Zorro wants his “Z” back? or Purdue making sure no one steals their “P”?

• Minna H | November 2, 2006 at 12:04 am |

[quote comment=”18265″]Thanks for putting the article about Wisconsin’s motion W on your site.

This is about a FREAKING letter not a mascot!

Thank God Nerdbraska didn’t put a copyright on “BIG RED” or they would ask for their color back.[/quote]

Thanks, Mike, for making me laugh—I needed it.

• Azul Army | November 2, 2006 at 12:26 am |

Except George (and Jerry) played on the Improv team. Bette played for Rochelle, Rochelle (I know they use this title later in the series to describe a movie… A young girl’s strange erotic journey from Milan to Minsk. I wonder if the play was the same?)[/quote]

Beat me to it! “Move it in. Move in everybody. Get your shrimp here. Shrimp on special today!” Improv Jersey

• Nolan | November 2, 2006 at 12:34 am |

[quote comment=”18245″]I don’t know if this has been mentioned yet, but I saw an all-too-striking similarity between the NBA warm-ups and the NFL coaching shirts. Yes, for whatever reason they both have have whale-tails.
    Maybe someone can grab a screen shot[/quote]
    I made the same observation. here and here

Also I found a new melo logo here that looks a wee bit like this

• Azul Army | November 2, 2006 at 12:36 am |

Argggg…Bad Links.

try these

Imrov Jerseyhere

Turf shoeshere

• Jonathan | November 2, 2006 at 12:39 am |

I have nothing to back this up, but it wouldn’t surprise me if
    Torry Holt wore some type of “EG” or “EGHS” on an arm band or something on
    Sunday. His high school (Eastern Guilford High School) burnt to the ground
    today from a chemical fire. All of the students and faculty were safe and
    the only injury was one firefighter, but the students don’t have a school to
    go back to so it’s a tough situation there. Just thought I’d mention it.

• Raul | November 2, 2006 at 12:53 am |

• DW '95 | November 2, 2006 at 12:55 am |
  • Mayer | November 2, 2006 at 12:56 am |

[quote comment=”18262″]
    The Suns are wearing the orange PHX jerseys at home…what is going on all of a sudden that NBA teams are wearing road unis at home. i can understand miami last night, but not the Suns[/quote]

I also am not enjoying this trend.

• JBan | November 2, 2006 at 12:57 am |

LINK

LINK

Oddly enough, the team does not wear the more expensive tackle-twill jersey during their games. They always wear the cheaper, screen printed jerseys.[/quote]

• UMD_Chris | November 2, 2006 at 1:07 am |

[quote comment=”18280″][quote comment=”18243″]Terps begin their basketball season tonight, and it got me wondering about another uniform issue with this team:

LINK

LINK

No, they wear neither. The authentic cnike college hoops jerseys aren’t available to the public anymore. They are made of a different dri fit material and cost well over 100 bucks when they were available.[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up. I made the assumption that they were the cheaper screened stuff because when I watched them in person, I didn’t see stitched numbers or school names.

Also, what’s with the NCAA prohibiting player names on the backs of jerseys?

• UMD_Chris | November 2, 2006 at 1:11 am |

• Nolan | November 2, 2006 at 1:22 am |

[quote comment=”18279″][quote comment=”18262″]

I also am not enjoying this trend.[/quote]

• Josh | November 2, 2006 at 1:46 am |

[quote comment=”18284″][quote comment=”18279″][quote comment=”18262″]

I also am not enjoying this trend.[/quote]

The orange is their Alternate uni, not the road. If I’m correct, teams decide when they will be worn well ahead of the date.[/quote]

The Suns have worn the orange alternates at home for the past 2 years. I like it personally. I like to see something different once a year. We see the white jerseys all year so whats wrong with seeing them wear something else once a season?

By the way, I have a completely unrelated comment / question.
    Why is it that the MLB Authentic collection t-shirts are made by Majestic, but when they get to the postseason all the lockerroom celebration shirts that are part of the Authentic Collection, are made by Lee Sport?

• Luke | November 2, 2006 at 2:10 am |

[quote comment=”18276″][quote comment=”18251″][quote comment=”18250″]charlie bell just lost his number 4 from the back of his jersey in the bucks-pistons game[/quote]

Thats funny, I just turned my laptop back on to say the exact same thing, at the timeout he put a new jersey on[/quote]It is a bucks-pistons game, why are you talking about the nets?[/quote]
    I’m hoping you’re kidding, Raul…

• Mike Miller | November 2, 2006 at 2:54 am |

Here’s a not so good picture of it, you have to look close

• Josh | November 2, 2006 at 3:16 am |

quote comment=”18289″]Not seen too much of Boise State this season, but they are wearing a patch on their right sleeve that says “BLUE 20”, in reference to the 20 years they’ve played on the “smurf turf” in Boise.

Here’s a not so good picture of it, you have to look close[/quote]
    Here’s a better pic of the jersey

• Mark in Shiga | November 2, 2006 at 4:05 am |

What a pathetic fake! Everyone knows that George Costanza’s jersey number is 00, not 7!

(And that’s not pronounced ‘double zero’; it’s ‘ooh’.)

• Mark in Shiga | November 2, 2006 at 5:59 am |

Oh, wait, the #7 Costanza jerse is for his kid!

• The Critic | November 2, 2006 at 7:29 am |

That sounds like something Wendel Tyler would have done. He also may have worn Feraggamo’s jersey.

• Richard | November 2, 2006 at 8:15 am |

[quote comment=”18283″]I was watching SportsNite on CSN tonight, and I noticed George Mason has those god awful Nike template uniforms this year, not unlike what UNC and Duke have switched to.[/quote]

correction – Duke did not switch to the Nike template, they added the jerseys to their collection, as an alternate.

• Rod Gaspar Fan Club | November 2, 2006 at 9:13 am |

[quote comment=”18050″]they can wear the YYZ jerseys only if it’s also a tribute night to Rush![/quote]
    They could also paint “A Passage to Bangkok” on the court and start the game at 4:20.

OK, seriously…how f’n ugly are those Islanders alternate sweaters?

• a arauz | November 2, 2006 at 10:24 am |

[quote comment=”18270″][quote comment=”18261″][quote comment=”18236″]This is sort of uni related. I stumbled across this on Cafepress, described as George Costanza’s softball jersey. The description says, “The perfect shirt to wear to a home plate collision with Bette Midler.” Pretty funny.[/quote]

As for those non-branded cleats on the A’s logo. I seem to remember in the 80’s that my coaches used to wear Riddell coaches shoes with the laces around the tops. Old school turf shoes. It appears the A’s logo is the same as the pic. Can anyone help out with a better pic?[/quote]
    Oh, are you referring to Spot-bilts? Hideous old Skool gym teacher shoes. Those shoes scarred me for life- Damn you, Mr. Browne !

• bud | November 2, 2006 at 1:08 pm |

big football game tonight in case you’ve been too distracted by the new NBA ball to notice. inside sources say that Louisville will be sporting their ‘big game’ all black and WVU will bring out the all white. So the game will look something like this vs. this. Thoughts?

compared to the other big game this year, things arn’t looking good for anyone tonight.

assuming that the winner from each game will meet in he NC game, what would you like to see?

• Kerry | November 2, 2006 at 3:40 pm |

[quote comment=”18361″]Is that from last night’s game?? if so, they didn’t draw much of a crowd, did they?[/quote]
    For the love of Pete, READ THE CAPTION BELOW THE FREAKIN’ PICTURE!