[Insert Joke About Mets’ Projected Win Total Here]

I’m turning 50 years old today. It’s a big, round number, and I know I’m supposed to feel all midlife crisis-y about it or some such, but I don’t. For one thing, everyone tells me I don’t look like I’m anywhere near 50, and I’m pretty sure it isn’t just because they’re being nice. I’ve always looked a bit young for my age, and now I’ve reached the point in my life where that’s a good thing.

More importantly, I don’t feel 50. In fact, I’d say I feel about the same as I did when I turned 35, which isn’t that surprising, because my life is pretty similar to how it was when I was 35. I eat the same, drink the same, and mostly dress the same, because I weigh the same. I have most of the same habits and routines (some of which are laughably analog for our current digital era, but I stick with them because I like them). I still see lots of movies and live bands, although not as much of either as I once did. I watch much less TV than when I was 35, but that’s because I spend much more time on the computer — I traded one idiot box for another, so it’s basically a wash. I still drive an old-ish compact car (not the same one I had when I was 35, but fairly similar). I still live with two cats (not the same ones, but just as lovable). I make more money now than I did when I was 35, but I don’t spend much more than I did then, because my priorities, sensibilities, and practicalities are largely unchanged.

Some of this is all for the good — it’s nice to be able to live pretty much the same life I had when I was younger. But there are times when I wonder if this stability indicates a lack of growth, or maybe a failure of imagination. Shouldn’t I have expanded my parameters more? I often like to say that I’m an adult but not a grown-up, which is a fun quip, but does it really mean I’m just immature? Maybe. Okay, probably. Something to work on. (Go figure: Most 50-year-olds are worried about feeling too old, and here I am worrying about feeling too young.)

It turns out that the biggest difference between now and when I turned 35 is, of course, Uni Watch, which hadn’t yet been born 15 years ago today. Its water was about to break, though — I already had the idea for it and was shopping it around to various media venues, but it would be another two months or so until I found a home for it. Every editor I approached at that time (including the one who eventually said yes) told me, “It’s a fun idea, but do you really think there’s enough there to sustain a monthly column?” Nobody suspected that Uni Watch would prove to be such a durable project, or that the uni beat could provide enough fodder for monthly weekly daily content.

So while it’s nice that I’m turning 50 today, I think the more remarkable thing is that Uni Watch will be turning 15 in late May. Maybe we’ll have a party for that. We might even have an anniversary patch — stay tuned.

I have lots of birthday plans, none of which involve doing even a lick of work, so I’m outta here for the day. Have a great weekend, and I’ll see you next week.

’Skins Watch: NPR’s ombudsperson has posted a good, thoughtful piece about the ’Skins name. Bottom line: The network will continue to refer to the team by its full name, because that’s the name of the team. … Joe Posnanski has amended his article from earlier this week to indicate that there was a connection between the Indians’ team name and Louis Sockalexis after all, although Pos says he “still [doesn’t] think the team was named Indians for him or to honor him” (from Perry Sailor).

Baseball News: Torii Hunter sure has a lot of stuff written on his glove (from John Muir). … The Dodgers played an exhibition game against the Australian national team yesterday, and the Aussies had a player with FIOB — but with the initial after the surname (from Colin Clerkin). … Lots of uni-notable aspects to this old photo of Willie McGee. First and most obviously, the mix-and-match uniform. Second, what’s written under his brim? I blew up the photo and flipped it upside-down, and it appears to list his stat goals for the coming season: 100 runs, 80 RBI, 50 SB, and some other stuff I couldn’t make out. But best of all, check out the dude in the background! (Big thanks to Keith Olbermann.) … Tons of old baseball program covers here (from Andy Moursund). … Good video on how the Sydney Cricket Ground was set up for this weekend’s Dodgers/D-backs games (from Tim Lewis). … Interesting story about what’s going to happen to the Field of Dreams field (thanks, Ek). … Typical slate of absurd promotional unis on tap this season for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers (thanks, Phil). … The Phillies were supposed to wear green on Monday but the game got rained out. Tuesday was an off-day and Wednesday was a road game, so they finally wore the green jerseys yesterday (from Harrison Tishler). … In a related item, does anyone know if the White Sox refer to March 17 as Halfway to Halfway to St. Patrick’s Day? …Remember those protective caps that pitchers were supposed to be able to test-drive during spring training? Turns out they haven’t been available (thanks, Phil). … New BP caps for a slew of minor league teams (from Michael Trautman).

NFL News: Here’s Steve Smith’s new Ravens jersey with SrOB (from Ted Bloss). … Lots of old pro football program covers here (from Andy Moursund, who also has a set of program covers from historically black colleges). … Holy moly, look at all those wristbands! That’s Elbie Watts, from a 1986 game. Also note the Spider Lockhart memorial patch being worn by Ottis Anderson (big thanks to Jeff Ash).

Hockey News: Love this Bruins-inspired pennant (thanks, Phil). … Here’s a video about the LED “celebration lights” at the Canucks’ arena (from Scott Lederer). … New mask designs for Blues goalie Ryan Miller and Caps goalie Jaroslav Halak (from John Muir). … Mike Fisher painted a Star Wars-themed goalie mask for a local goalie in L.A. … Anyone know why the Red Wings wore white at home last night against the Penguins? (From Aaron McHargue.)

Soccer News: Everton has extended its sponsorship deal with Chang beer (from Mark Coale). … What if European soccer teams got American logo treatments? They might look like this (thanks, Phil).

NBA News: Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: Here’s probably the best, most thoughtful analysis I’ve seen on the issue of ads on NBA jerseys. … Imagine if each NBA team was a corporate brand (thanks, Phil).

College Hoops News: A UVA hoops fan managed to get down on the court when he noticed that all members of the team’s coaching staff dressed alike, so he dressed that way too (from Kevin Wright). … The other day I saw a VCU basketball ad on the side of a NYC bus. “Why the hell would VCU be running ads in the New York market?” I wondered. Turns out they’re feeling pretty flush (from Tommy Turner). … Vote for your favorite Oregon basketball uni design here (thanks, Phil). … A year ago I wrote an entry about Nic Schultz, who had built a very cool logo-based DIY bracket. Here’s what he’s come up with this year, and here’s the jpg it’s based on. “I tried to put a lot of emphasis on individual weekends, so there was clear separation between the first rounds, Sweet 16 and Final Four,” he says. “It’s still a bit overwhelming at first glance, but then again so is keeping up with the action today and tomorrow. When you look into it and find a team, though, it’s pretty easy to track and follow that team’s progression.” … Yesterday I posted a photo of Iowa’s late-’80s uni design, which featured a faux/simulated untucked design. Now, thanks to Scott Jamison, we have a much better look at that design. Jimbo Huening provided additional views here and here, and he also points out that a replica of those shorts is sold by Uni Watch advertiser Retro College Cuts. … Here’s a March Madness logo quiz (from Kurt Esposito). … Michigan State’s throwbacks had off-center uni numbers earlier this season, but last night the numbers were centered. You can see the before/after versions here (from Zach Conrad). … Here’s the story behind Albany’s two-tone uniforms (thanks, Phil). … An NC State player was missing the “a” in his Adidas logo last night (good spot by Joseph Hiley).

Grab Bag: A player in the Kentucky high school state basketball tourney was wearing plaid shorts under this uniform the other day (from Jim Joseph). … Bizarre two-tone football helmets for Signal Mountain High in Tennessee (from Harry Akers). … Rebranding coming up next month for Illniois athletics (from Eric Lovejoy). … Eric Bangeman was watching some old USFL footage and spotted Houston kicker Tony Fritsch rotating his facemask downard prior to a kick. And yes, Tony had quite the gut in those days.

104 comments to [Insert Joke About Mets’ Projected Win Total Here]

• Clint W | March 21, 2014 at 7:44 am |

Paul, may you have a great day on your big birthday (I’m right behind you) and an excellent year.

• Steve B. | March 21, 2014 at 7:47 am |

Happy B-Day to ya Paul.

• Phil Hecken | March 21, 2014 at 7:52 am |

(I seriously made this before today’s post — even though it’s very similar to the splash photo):

< Lukas 50

Have a great one buddy!

• Bruce Menard | March 21, 2014 at 8:41 am |

Here’s to 50 more Paul,

Cheers!

• Chris | March 21, 2014 at 7:53 am |

happy birthday Paul! Hope you get lucky tonight!

• DenverGregg | March 21, 2014 at 8:00 am |

Happy b-day!

Halfway-to-halfway-to St. Pat’s would have to be June 17.

• Jim Gregg | March 21, 2014 at 8:04 am |

Very good article by NPR. Reporters aren’t supposed to inject opinion in their stories. They are supposed to reports facts period. There are editorials for addressing the Redskins name and the need for it to change but in normal reporting that editorial view should not be part of it. Part of the issue with today’s media is that in covering regular news, etc, editorial opinion enters. Who, what, where, why, when, and how are what a good reporter is supposed to cover.

Paul, happy birthday!! At 50 (I’m 56), you shall start receiving all sorts of senior snail mail and maybe even some to your personal email. You are taking another step closer to being a geezer like me!! You will also realize in time us geezers can get away with more stuff than younger guys. That can be advantageous. Welcome to the wonderful world of the 50s!

• leo strawn jr | March 21, 2014 at 8:07 am |

happy birthday!

• Rob S | March 21, 2014 at 8:11 am |

I fell asleep right before the Wings game started (it was one of those days that I was just completely dog-tired by that time), and didn’t wake up until the late-night replay was ending (just in time to see Alfredsson’s OT game-winner). So if they mentioned anything about why they were wearing white at home (AS IT SHOULD BE), I missed it.

Considering neither the Wings nor Pens were going back-to-back, it is pretty odd.

• Dane | March 21, 2014 at 8:22 am |

From what I’ve been able to find on Twitter, there appears to be no special reason for the color switch. According to reports, the Red Wings asked the NHL to wear white at home for a couple of games this season, and this was game #2 of that request.

• The Legend of Vincent Tremblay | March 21, 2014 at 10:57 am |

The Penguins are rather accommodating in that regard. They exchange white-at-home games with the Maple Leafs (one each in Toronto and Pittsburgh) every year it seems.

This is the first time I can recall the Red Wings and Penguins playing a white-at-home game. (Since the NHL moved to colors at home, of course.) And if they’re exchanging games as they do with the Leafs, watch for the Pens to wear white at home against Detroit on April 9th. I just hope this “Score three goals by bouncing the puck off a Penguins defenseman” thing doesn’t come along with it.

• Oakville Endive | March 21, 2014 at 1:44 pm |

First time maybe because they’ve been out of conference prior to this year.

• Eric Romain | March 21, 2014 at 11:39 am |

The Red wings have been wearing white at home a couple games a season for several years now. Seems like they used to do it against old rivals like when the Leafs came to town.
      I think it’s their traditionalist team’s way of having an “alternate jersey” without actually having one.
      I don’t remember where I read this, so don’t quote me on it, but I recall it being said that the red wings wear white at home because so many fans associate the white sweater with Joe Louis Arena. They are trying to appease those fans who think the wings just ‘look right’ wearing white in the Joe.

Back in 2010 they wore their winter classic uniform at home for the final game of the season (Chelios’ final reg season game for the wings and he skated out as a forward). I don’t believe they’ve worn this years’ winter classic uni at the Joe though. Prior to that, i think you have to back 2 decades to see the wings wearing a non-primary uniform in the Joe.

• timmy b | March 21, 2014 at 12:33 pm |

I still say the NHL should do like they did in 1991-92. Wear white at home in the first half of the season (like the first calendar year part (2013)) and then switch to dark at home for the second half (like the second calendar year part (2014)). Then everyone’s happy.

• The Jeff | March 21, 2014 at 1:45 pm |

Or just let the teams decide.

• Ross Clites | March 21, 2014 at 11:08 pm |

my two cents, and as a pens fan, is that you never forget a cup being hoisted by another team on your home ice. sid and those ’09 boys are forever going to be shown in quick montage pieces wearing white at the joe. and since the wings like to go white at home for the fans (in moderation) why not do it for when pittsburgh comes to town? pair this with the fact that the pens went to detroit earlier in this season, wore white, and housed the red wings 4-1. as a baseball guy, i’d like to think that hockey guys are just as superstitious and make opposing teams mix up their wardrobe if you want the outcome to be different this time around. total baseball move.

• Eltee of DC | March 21, 2014 at 8:16 am |

Happiest of Birthday’s Mr Lukas!

As you Celebrate five decades of living la vida Lukah, not merely one night of celebration but every day, doing the things that make one happy… few really get to do the that in their lives. A true Master of the Uni-verse.

So get to it.

• sj-jeff | March 21, 2014 at 8:25 am |

Happy Birthday!

• Dumb Guy | March 21, 2014 at 8:26 am |

McGee photo: What is up with the stirrups on the guy in the background? It looks like there is a stripe on his shoe to match up with the stirrup. Do mine eyes deceive me?

• Ferdinand Cesarano | March 21, 2014 at 9:25 am |

He is not wearing shoes; you’re just seeing his stirrup and sani.

• Dumb Guy | March 21, 2014 at 10:51 am |

Looks like a sole of some kind at the bottom of his foot.

????

Maybe that’s just something on the ground. ???

• Randy | March 21, 2014 at 12:51 pm |

Shower shoes, maybe.

It would explain why he seems to have blown out his ACL.
          Or maybe he photobombed Willie once too often and got Kerrigan’d as a result…

• Dumb Guy | March 21, 2014 at 8:28 am |

Odd that Signal Moutain opts to show the wrong side of its helmet on its own website.

(and their screaming eagle scared me to death!)

• Dumb Guy | March 21, 2014 at 8:29 am |

Welcome to the “Halfway to a Century” club, Paul!

• Oakville Endive | March 21, 2014 at 8:32 am |

Happy Birthday Paul, not to suck up to the host of the site, but I would have thought mid-40’s based on the pictures you post, must be the Brooklyn air.

Watched some of the Manhattan/Louisville game last night. If my television set wasn’t playing tricks with color shades, Manhattan has to wear one of the best shades of green I’ve seen. What I saw, it would appear to be somewhere between the shade of green the Boston Celtics and what the Philadelphia Eagles use, a very rich shade. Is my television/lighting of the arena tricking me, or was it relatively unique?

• Jim Vilk | March 21, 2014 at 8:58 am |

Not only that, but they had one of the best fonts ever. Wish they could have lasted longer in the tournament.

Happy Birthday, Paul!

• Teebz | March 21, 2014 at 8:50 am |

Happy Birthday, Paul!

Best wishes on today, and enjoy the milestone birthday as a 35 year-old would. ;o)

Happy Birthday, and here’s to many more great years!

• MEMAL | March 21, 2014 at 8:50 am |

Happy birthday Paul!

Last night’s Pens-Red Wings game was a scheduled white-at-home game for Detroit.

• terriblehuman | March 21, 2014 at 8:52 am |

As they say on the internet, HBD PL!

• terriblehuman | March 21, 2014 at 8:58 am |

The Americanized soccer logos are great. Catalan Rebels are a nice touch, and I’m assuming Yellow Submarines is Villarreal.

One quibble – isn’t “Romani” a gypsy tribe and not Lazio’s hometown?

• El Duderino | March 21, 2014 at 10:10 am |

It’s a Sioux/Lakota thing. There is no such thing as a Sioux tribe, “sioux” is a pejorative used by smaller tribes in the Great Plains region to describe militaristic Lakota tribes. Romani is the appropriate term, “gypsy” comes from European myth that they look “Egyptian” despite them being originally from India and settled to a degree in Romania.

Sioux = Nazi
      Gypsy = Nigger

• terriblehuman | March 21, 2014 at 11:39 am |

Thanks, though for what it’s worth, BBC, which is usually sensitive about this sort of thing, still uses the g-word.

Though, also for what it’s worth, womenfolks refer to “peasant skirts” instead of “gypsy skirts”

• ThePonchat | March 21, 2014 at 11:43 am |

Makes me happy they do what they do…and makes me sad of all the American mascot logos.

• Hodges14 | March 21, 2014 at 9:07 am |

Happy 50th, PL! Oh, did you happen to see NYCFC unveil their new logo?

(Skip to 6:23)

• C Sciria | March 21, 2014 at 9:18 am |

Happy birthday Paul. I promise to never ask for a UniWatch membership card inspired by my alma mater, UAlbany’s shorts.

• walter | March 21, 2014 at 9:20 am |

Many happy returns, Paul. Welcome to the club!

• Mike Engle on a non-personal computer | March 21, 2014 at 9:21 am |

Re: Ticker aside in the MLB section: Halfway-to-halfway-to St. Patrick’s Day would be June 17, no? Let’s not give the White Sox any ideas.
    Re: Tony Fritsch in the Misc. Ticker: I distinctly remember Scott Player would also lower his facemask out of the way when it was time to kick a ball. That is a nice screen cap though.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR. LUKAS!

• bmaz | March 21, 2014 at 9:31 am |

Hey Paul… that Willie McGee hat writing sounded familiar… turns out I was right! http://sports.espn.g...

• Poisso3 | March 21, 2014 at 9:39 am |

Happy 5-0, Paul!

• Simply Moono | March 21, 2014 at 9:42 am |

Been a while since I last commented on the site. What I took away from today’s post:

• This replica that probably used some stock from 2012 has the black collar. IIRC, the Ravens booted that last year.

Aww, man. I actually really liked the off-center numbers. Kinda disappointing. Glad they kept the socks, though.

• Gotta love that didas quality.

We’ve gone to plaid.

Lastly, happy birthday, Paul. May your day be filled with loved ones, laughter, and other things that don’t suck =)

• Paulie Mac | March 21, 2014 at 9:44 am |

Happy birthday, Paul! I’m a huge fan of Uni-Watch…thanks for bringing it into the world.

• TomServaux96 | March 21, 2014 at 9:46 am |

Happy birthday, Paul!

May you find yourself in a purple patch this year… ;-)

• Kevin K | March 21, 2014 at 9:52 am |

Happy birthday Paul,hope you have a great one and many more

• Dave | March 21, 2014 at 10:01 am |

Think I’m gonna buy one of those “Your Ad Here” blocks on the Signal Mtn. web site and put up a reminder that the helmets look stupid.

• Ben Fortney | March 21, 2014 at 10:03 am |

Happy birthday, captain. You and UW make every one of my mornings a little bit better.

• Bryan | March 21, 2014 at 10:10 am |

Happy Birthday Paul!
    Maybe it’s a topic better suited to one of your Ask Me Anything features, but I’m curious: what are some of your “laughably analog” habits and routines?

• Ben Fortney | March 21, 2014 at 10:13 am |

Tons of old baseball program covers here (from Andy Moursund)

Holy moly! Treasure trove.

• Jonathan Ford | March 21, 2014 at 10:17 am |

Happy birthday, Paul! Many happy returns, good sir!

• jrod3737 | March 21, 2014 at 10:19 am |

In Minnesota we call plaid shorts worn under other shorts “boxers”. They’re underwear. Anyone else?

• Lindsay Resnick | March 21, 2014 at 1:45 pm |

This is the comment I was looking for. Those aren’t shorts, they’re his underwear!

• Eric B | March 21, 2014 at 10:22 am |

Happy birthday, Paul. You should feel proud about where you are in life and the continuity you’ve managed since your mid-30s. You seem content at 50, which seems to be somewhat rare. Many happy returns!

• arrScott | March 21, 2014 at 10:22 am |

Happy Golden Jubilee, Paul!

Though perhaps a 51st Season patch would be more in keeping with the UW aesthetic!

• Mike Bonfanti | March 21, 2014 at 10:22 am |

Happy birthday Paul! Let us know if it rains! :)

• Kevin Corcoran | March 21, 2014 at 10:31 am |

Thanks for keeping us all a little younger by making us that much more curious, whether it’s about sports uniforms, old report cards, random collectibles or candelas. Happy Birthday!

• Mako Mameli | March 21, 2014 at 10:31 am |

Happy birthday Paul!

• Stephen Pindar | March 21, 2014 at 10:34 am |

Enjoy the day and it’s blessings, and a touch of sorrow to show the difference. Break out the Fernandez uni

• Thresh8 | March 21, 2014 at 10:42 am |

Enjoy your 50th, Paul.

• Steve | March 21, 2014 at 10:53 am |

The White Sox do a halfway to St. Patrick’s day promotion in September, the closest home Friday game to Sept. 17. They usually give away green caps or replica green jerseys. This year it’s September 12 and they’re giving away Irish flat caps.

• Munch Suchland | March 21, 2014 at 10:54 am |

Happy 50th Birthday from Buckeye Land, Paul!

• Joseph Gerard | March 21, 2014 at 10:57 am |

Happy birthday Paul! My dad just turned 50 this month, too.

• Nate | March 21, 2014 at 11:00 am |

You turn 50 on the same day my girlfriend turns 30! Milestones, milestones everywhere!

• Graf Zeppelin | March 21, 2014 at 11:05 am |

Happy birthday, Paul. Have a great one.

• Geoff | March 21, 2014 at 11:17 am |

It’s Toni Fritsch, not Tony.

• El Duderino | March 21, 2014 at 11:24 am |

New York FC news- Congrats to the roundel.

• arrScott | March 21, 2014 at 11:28 am |

They definitely got it right.

• The Jeff | March 21, 2014 at 11:55 am |

Another circular logo. Yawn. I guess it’s better than the badge, but neither one was very good, and the team name itself is as bland as possible, so… yeah, good job.

• arrScott | March 21, 2014 at 12:41 pm |

I largely agree! I’m just saying, given the options on offer, they got the choice right. It’s not necessarily bad, though, so a good pair of uniforms could definitely salvage the team from the yawn-heap of history.

• Adam T | March 21, 2014 at 11:37 am |

Happy Birthday Paul!

• terriblehuman | March 21, 2014 at 11:38 am |

re: VCU ad in New York

New York City is where the sponsors are. Also, tourists.

• scott | March 21, 2014 at 12:09 pm |

And the A-10 plays its conference tournament in Brooklyn, so it’s not a stretch for teams in the league to reach out to fans/ potential recruits in the NYC market.

• terriblehuman | March 21, 2014 at 12:34 pm |

Oh right, that. I haven’t been keeping up with the conference realignments.

• Lindsay Resnick | March 21, 2014 at 1:44 pm |

My mom went to VCU and she is from Long Island. She said she knew a few classmates there that did too. And that was back in 1980ish.

• quiet seattle | March 21, 2014 at 11:44 am |

Happy Birthday, kid.

• ThePonchat | March 21, 2014 at 11:44 am |

Happy Birthday Paul!

Thanks for the blog, my day always starts off with a Uni-Watch read.

• muddlehead | March 21, 2014 at 12:00 pm |

HBPL and gottalove the like-minded reader who watches USFL films.

• David Goodfriend | March 21, 2014 at 12:02 pm |

Happy 50th Paul!

• Big CK | March 21, 2014 at 12:10 pm |

Big Happy Birthday Paul.

• Jason | March 21, 2014 at 12:10 pm |

Have a “fantastic” birthday, Paul. Thanks so much for everything, and keep doin’ you.

• DenverGregg | March 21, 2014 at 12:12 pm |

Oh my. The 1965 NFL Championship Game program has the wrong helmet for a participating team! I guess there were some drawbacks to the normative three-martini lunch . . .

• K W | March 21, 2014 at 12:12 pm |

Call me crazy, but I kind of like the sponsor/ads on jersey idea (I like no ads better, surely). Although, I’d rather it be more obvious like the European/premier league style. I don’t particularly like the idea of a small patch of advertising, if you’re going to do it, go full out in this case.

Two things about it. I’m sure the teams with the superstars will fetch a premium compared to, say, the Bucks. How will the ads be decided? The highest bidder? And what if the superstar leaves via free agency? I’m sure the company won’t be to happy about paying a small fortune to have LeBron run around with their logo, only to see him leave via free agency.
    What if Adidas sponsors the Heat? Will Nike allow LeBron to even play? All that garbage is sure to give executives heart burn.

Happy birthday Paul! :o

• terriblehuman | March 21, 2014 at 12:43 pm |

* ad rates – I can’t imagine it would be much different from how it’s done in soccer. Bigger market teams get bigger, longer contracts with bigger companies. And it’s not like they don’t know when player contracts end.

Also, you see Nike-sponsored players showing up in ads for NBA/Adidas gear, so that’s a moot point, I think. In Europe, each player negotiates image rights to take care of situations like Messi, an Adidas guy who shows up in Turkish Airlines ads but wears a Nike shirt with the Qatar Airway logo, but that stuff is collectively negotiated with the NBPA.

• arrScott | March 21, 2014 at 1:42 pm |

I’m with you on the point that the bigger the ads, the better. There would at least be a certain honesty to the crassness if NBA ads were as prominent as European soccer ads.

I suspect that teams would command different prices, but that the revenue would actually mainly be captured by the league, not the team. That is, if you want to sponsor the Heat, you negotiate a contract with the NBA, your ad goes on the Heat jerseys, and then the NBA takes all of the revenue from all of the jersey sponsorships, takes a cut off the top for the league, and then divides the remainder into 32 equal payments.

• timmy b | March 21, 2014 at 12:35 pm |

Happy 50th, Paul. Now sign up for AARP membership! :)

• umplou | March 21, 2014 at 1:44 pm |

I will guarantee that he has already got that piece of mail….they are very thorough

• Ted | March 21, 2014 at 12:41 pm |

Happy Birthday Paul!!!

• terriblehuman | March 21, 2014 at 12:50 pm |

Some people call it “over the hill”. I prefer to call it “Turning Agbayani”.

• CortM | March 21, 2014 at 1:15 pm |

Happy birthday, Paul! This sums up the feelings I had when I turned 50:

• Dumb Guy | March 21, 2014 at 2:34 pm |

That was my facebook profile on my 50th!!

“….annnnd stretch!”

• mike d | March 21, 2014 at 1:25 pm |

This has probably already been posted before, possibly by the creator, but here’s a Yankees uni database i just came across.

• umplou | March 21, 2014 at 1:45 pm |

Happy 50th, Paul! Been there…done that…no big deal!

• Lou | March 21, 2014 at 1:47 pm |

Happy Birthday Paul!

• Ahmad Samady | March 21, 2014 at 3:13 pm |

Anyone know where I can purchase these tournament shirts that the uconn players are wearing on the bench. Preferably UConn. http://stmedia.start...

• Bromotrifluoromethane | March 21, 2014 at 3:24 pm |

Happy Birthday, Paul!

• Bromotrifluoromethane | March 21, 2014 at 3:28 pm |

Now then. The ads on the unis? No!!! It looks like crap in Europe, it looks like crap for auto racing, and watching the local minor league teams play that already have them it looks like crap there.
    We already have the broadcasts, half time shows, pre & post game shows sponsored, play on courts corporate that are sponsored, and in arenas named after corporations. Those arenas and courts are already plastered with enough ads to more than cover anything that’s needed. We do NOT need ads on the uniforms as well.

• Barnett Recruit Compound Crossbow | March 21, 2014 at 3:29 pm |

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thanks, However I am encountering troubles
    with your RSS. I don know why I am unable to join it. Is there anyone else having similar
    RSS issues? Anyone that knows the solution can you kindly respond?
    Thanx!!

• Arkbear | March 21, 2014 at 3:32 pm |

Bret Bielema Tweets Out Arkansas’ New Riddell Speedflex Helmets…

• Christopher F. | March 21, 2014 at 3:48 pm |

Happy birthday, Paul!

• Mainspark | March 21, 2014 at 4:11 pm |

Happy Birthday Paul! I had a knish for the first time in your honor.

• Prentice | March 21, 2014 at 4:32 pm |

And I thought the milestone birthday you were refering to was 40, and that was hard to believe…50!?!!? Congrats!!

• Floorwalker | March 21, 2014 at 4:36 pm |

oh man, those Historically Black College game programs are NICE!

also,
    Happy Birthday, Paul!
    here’s to 50 more

• Judy A | March 21, 2014 at 7:39 pm |

First off, Happy Birthday to you!

Second, as somebody who will hit 50 in 6 months, I totally agree with you about feeling too young, rather than too old. Does that mean I’m immature? Yeah, maybe in some ways. Oh well.

• Dootie Bubble | March 21, 2014 at 7:55 pm |

What are the ribbons on the NCAA tournament floors for?

• Jerry Reuss | March 21, 2014 at 8:00 pm |

Paul,

Hope it’s a happy 50th!

Jerry

• LD | March 22, 2014 at 1:08 am |

GREAT Intro.Since it’s after midnight on the east coast,Happy belated BDay