Matt and Kevin Concept MLB

Matt Malinoski Hed

By Phil Hecken

Couple of crazy weeks in the real world the past two weeks, and I hope things may finally be returning to a sense of normalcy.

Just going to have two concepters for your lede today, and since they both deal with MLB, it’s a perfect time to run them.

There’s a lot to look at, so I’ll dive right in.

Let’s kick things off with a gentleman who has been concepting all the MLB teams, and if you’ve been reading the concepts section, you will be familiar with his work. Matt Malinoski has already completed all of the redesigns of the American League. Today, he’s back with the National League West (and a correction to the Orioles from the AL East) Click on all images to enlarge:

. . .

Orioles1 - Matt Malinoski

Hi, Phil:

First, I added a number to the front of the Orioles’ jerseys from my last concept.

Next, here are my NL West concepts.

Diamondbacks - Matt Malinoski

Diamondbacks: Both jerseys have a zipper front with a narrow placket. Soutache on placket and sleeves similar to 1940 Giants. Stirrups are similar to 1940 Braves. The home uniform uses the same “D-backs” script with the black background as the BP jersey. The numerals are of the same color scheme as the script.

Dodgers - Matt Malinoski

52 Dodgers - Matt Malinoski

Dodgers: 1952 jerseys. Red numbers on the front of both jerseys. Also added a Brooklyn throwback which uses the correct style “B”. Red number on home jersey only.

Giants - Matt Malinoski

Giants: Using 1960’s Rawlings block letters on home jersey and radially arched them. Using 1960’s McAuliffe numerals with a sans-serif “1”. Made a patch out of their old cursive logo and added an orange parallelogram behind the logo somewhat similar to those on the Topps cards of the fifties. All-black 1960’s jacket with embroidered sleeve script.

Padres - Matt Malinoski

Padres: I made some modifications to the last concept I sent in. In addition to changing the numerals, I added an all-brown cap and made slight modifications to the Swinging Friar.

Rockies - Matt Malinoski

Rockies: Both jerseys have extra-large Wilson numerals. The road jersey has the nineties road script with soutache on both edges of placket and sleeves. Added stripes to stirrups.

Thanks,

Matt

. . .

And we also have a set from Kevin Miller, who is a man of few words, but a ton of MLB concepts. Kevin said he did these in 2012 — what I find interesting is a number of them approximate some of the caps (BP caps as well as alt caps) and new/alt uni designs for 2013. As with Matt’s designs, click each to enlarge.

Phil,

I made these last year. Please feel free to use any/all of them on Uni Watch.

Kevin Miller

2012Marlins - Keith Miller

D-Backs:
2012Diamondbacks - Keith Miller

Padres:
2012Padres - Keith Miller

. . .

And there you have it. Quite the look at MLB. Readers, what say you?

Line

detroit_stars_circular_logoblueAtlanta Black Crackers w

Easy as A-B-C in Detroit

Yesterday afternoon, the Detroit Tigers hosted the Atlanta Braves in a traditional rivalry game in Motown.

The Tigers were hosting the franchise’s eleventh annual Negro Leagues Weekend at Comerica Park. As they have done on many occasions before, the Tigers suited up wearing throwback uniforms of the Detroit Stars, while the Braves sported the unis of the Atlanta Black Crackers.

It was a beautiful looking game:

dm_130427_mlb_braves_tigers_highlight

Braves Tigers Baseball.JPEG-0ac76

I really enjoy throwback games, as most of you know, when they are done well. And Detroit usually makes sure the unis are pretty spot on (and apparently don’t use Majestic as their supplier). Obviously, helmets weren’t worn back in Negro League days, so while I’m not happy about the modern helmets being worn, it’s not like there is a true throwback option.

One of the things I also really like about the Negro League games is the fact that the players all hike up their pant legs to properly expose undersocks (or stirrups). They did so yesterday. I only wish they’d do so (if applicable) for ALL throwback games, but that would probably be asking too much.

Anyway, it was a great looking game (although Detroit did wear ‘cream’ tinged uniforms, which probably aren’t historically accurate, but did add to the ‘old time’ feel). Feast your eyes on the slideshow I prepared below:

Line

colorize thisColorize This!

Occasionally, I will be featuring wonderful, high-quality black and white photographs that are just begging to be colorized.

Small set today, with just two submitters — Larry Bodnovich and Gary Chanko, but they’re both great

Click on each image to enlarge.

. . .

We begin today with LarryB, who sends in one of WVU, way back when:

Larry Bodnovich - WVU Players Result23_edited-4

Phil–

Colorized WVU players 1928.

I would have sent this in the day Jason did the good WVU entry. Anyhow I figured I would send it in now.

WVU players Stump and Glenn 1928

Larry Bodnovich

. . .

And we conclude with Gary, who of course, accompanies his colorizations with a story:

Gary Chanko - price

Gary Chanko - price upside

Phil

I never heard of this baseball trick artist before stumbling across a web article. I knew about Max Patkin and even saw him perform at a minor league game. But this guy is off the scales. Wonder how many readers know about him.

Gary

———————————————-

My recent colorization, Dancing with the Nats, featured the first Clown Prince of Baseball, Al Schacht. His successor, Jackie Price is the subject of this colorization.

While Schacht employed comic routines to entertain the crowd, Jackie Price used astonishing baseball skills to thrill the fans. You can read more about Jackie Price’s amazing tricks, along with the those of the other two Clown Princes here.

Better still watch this short video. Even better is this must watch this unbelievable 1947 classic, Diamond Demon.

… .. …

That’s it for today. Big thanks, as always, to Larry & Gary. Lets keep those colorizations coming Uni Watchers!

Line

And on that note, we’re done. Thanks to Matt & Kevin, plus Gary & Larry as well. Everyone enjoy your Sunday and the rest of the week.

Peace.

Line

Oregon Ducks Spring Game 2013
One For The Road

.. … ..

“I had a dream last night that the Cambodian national soccer team wore banana costumes to a game against Honduras on my back lawn. Also there were real bananas and it was my job to destroy them.”
–Gregory Koch

66 comments to Matt and Kevin Concept MLB

• Pete | April 28, 2013 at 6:43 am |

Max Patkin was the man. I don’t remember what uniform he wore but it could have been an old Yankees sans the logo.

• Charlie k | April 28, 2013 at 7:41 am |

I thought Det and Atl game looked great, agued on the modern helmets. My only complaint was that the caps looked “crumpled” at the corners, as if the fabric used didn’t have the strength to hold it’s dome shape.

• Joe from Eagle Mills | April 28, 2013 at 10:41 am |

Agree, too. Now – is there a way to get the umpires to go along and wear throwbacks? That would look even better.

• boxcarvibe | April 28, 2013 at 10:54 am |

Put the umps in suits, balloon chest protectors, and black dress shoes. That would look good.

Now. Did Prince Fielder wear his pants all pajama’d yesterday? He’s usually the one who looks like crap on throw back days and I can’t find a picture of him anywhere.

• DJ | April 28, 2013 at 11:21 am |

The home plate umpire should still wear his normal steel-toed shoes and his modern protective gear. We don’t ask the players to risk their safety by not wearing helmets because it would be more historically accurate to do so (or use smaller gloves, heavier spikes, etc,); why should umpires risk their safety?

The base umpires could go to a throwback look quite easily.

• Phil Hecken | April 28, 2013 at 11:23 am |

“Did Prince Fielder wear his pants all pajama’d yesterday?”

~~~

He DH’ed and went 1-5, so there should be a picture of him somewhere. I couldn’t find one either and I didn’t see the game.

Anyone know? (I’m guessing he went high cuffed for the game, but w/out a photo, don’t want to assume that).

• Rob H. | April 28, 2013 at 1:18 pm |
        • Rob H. | April 28, 2013 at 1:49 pm |

(Sorry had to change it – I left out the “S”)

Let Me Screencap That For You

• Neil Robinson | April 29, 2013 at 8:50 am |

The mini-Fathead they gave away at the gate, though, had a picture of Prince looking pretty sloppy in Detroit Stars pajamas.

• Michael Emody | April 28, 2013 at 1:56 pm |

It seems the Braves sported the gray “faux flannel” pattern in their Black Crackers (what a name!) uni’s.

• PaulS | April 28, 2013 at 4:36 pm |

Yes, just noticed that. Wish the Tigers would change to that for their everyday road greys. Beautiful.

• Uni-Dweeb | April 30, 2013 at 10:22 am |

I don’t like the Negro League uni’s. I think they look stupid.

• Abe L. | April 28, 2013 at 7:54 am |

I really like everything that Kevin did. Thanks for that!

• teenchy | April 28, 2013 at 9:17 am |

Cool Max Patkin colorization. I actually had the pleasure of chauffeuring Max from his hotel in Frederick, MD, to Harry Grove Stadium before a Keys game back in the late 1980s. A friend was in their front office at the time and asked me to play gofer and pick up a “secret guest.” He thought I’d get a kick out of meeting Max, and he was right.

• teenchy | April 28, 2013 at 9:20 am |

* I should say Jackie Price colorization. the story about Max is true, however, and if it’s not may I get run over by a streetca-

• Greg Brown | April 28, 2013 at 9:38 am |

Matt Malinowski – your San Francisco Giants concepts are perfect!

• Mirliton | April 28, 2013 at 9:40 am |

I like that Kevin incorporated a light blue into the Rockies’ colorway.

• Jordan | April 28, 2013 at 10:58 am |

Agreed. They need to ditch the black and add sky blue. Job well done, Kevin.

• Ross | April 29, 2013 at 12:13 pm |

I disagree. The light blue/purple scheme is so loud and so Hornets/pop tarts and 90s that I can’t get behind it. Someone posted a Rockies redesign awhile back in Bucks/Wild red/green color scheme. I really liked that one. I’d go for green or maybe even brown accents with the purple, though I think the black kind of suits them at this point.

• Bernard | April 28, 2013 at 9:57 am |

Excellent job on the 1928 Mountaineers, Larry!

• Coleman | April 28, 2013 at 12:22 pm |

Agreed, naturally.

• LarryB | April 28, 2013 at 6:36 pm |

Thanks guys

• BSmile | April 28, 2013 at 10:02 am |

Great colorizations again guys…and I loved “Diamond Demon”! Too bad those skills didn’t translate to something usable in the big leagues.

• Terry Proctor | April 28, 2013 at 10:04 am |

Matt, I love the thicker numbers that you used on the Dodgers. That’s the way they were in the 1950s. Good attention to detail!

Kevin, as a charter Blue Jays fan please ditch the Black. Jays Nation is happy the team finally saw the light last year. So please let’s not go back to it.

The game in Detroit shows just how good baseball uniforms can be when worn properly (high cuffed). Bud Selig should issue an edict from on high that requires the socks to be shown. And tell the Players’ Association to buzz off if they bitch about it. It’s a small consideration given all the money these spoiled brats receive.

• Matt Malinoski | April 28, 2013 at 5:03 pm |

Thanks, Terry. The thin number style that they wear now does not look as good as the thicker one that they used to wear.

• Mariner1 | April 28, 2013 at 10:09 am |

I don’t know if anyone even noticed when Medlen threw his first pitch yesterday for the Braves he did a tribute to the Negro Leagues. He did an old school hands behind his backside then over the head windup. I saw it, but even think the announcers noticed or anyone else on TV. Pretty cool tribute.

• Gusto4044 | April 28, 2013 at 10:24 am |

Nearly all of Kevin’s designs should be adopted immediately, they’re good examples of classy upgrades. Also, more teams, like the Phillies, need to have the city name across the road jersey.

• Tenz | April 28, 2013 at 1:54 pm |

I love the Phils and their current uniforms, but if I were in charge, they would go back to pretty exactly the uniforms they wore in the 1960s, except the one change I’d be very happy about is, as you suggest, if they put the city name on the road uniforms. It would be a bit of a squeeze, but I’ve wanted to see a team with the full “Philadelphia” across their chest since I was a kid. I’m not sure that’s ever been used in a major team sport.

• Kurt Allen | April 28, 2013 at 10:28 am |

I was looking for feedback on Brewers gold tops w/road gray pants worn last night…

• Phil Hecken | April 28, 2013 at 10:30 am |

This?

Awful.

• The Jeff | April 28, 2013 at 12:11 pm |

Yeah… that jersey should only be worn with white or gold pants. Road gray pants suck.

• Kenny Ocker | April 28, 2013 at 1:06 pm |

I don’t really mind that, as far as softball tops go. The gray kind of mellows out the over-the-top gold.

• Simon | April 28, 2013 at 1:38 pm |

Something I mentioned yesterday…

I remember an episode of “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy” where they dressed a man in a blue shirt and brown/olive pants. The man argued that the colors didn’t go together but the Queer Eyes insisted they did. The man said “One is an earth color and one is a water color. You can’t mix Aquaman and Mudman.”

It was a great way to say you don’t wear cool and warm colors. Milwaukee’s jersey is warm and those pants are so cool. It really hurts the eyes.

• Uni-Dweeb | April 29, 2013 at 12:46 pm |

I thought they were sweet. I love different. Now if only the Marlins would bust out their orange hats and helmets (with ANY uniform) all would be right in the uni-verse.

• Mark in Shiga | April 28, 2013 at 2:06 pm |

Those gold jerseys need some gold pants to go with them.

• Phil Hecken | April 28, 2013 at 2:40 pm |

Something like this? (not one of my better efforts — probably done 4 years ago — but to give you an idea).

• Kidney Jess | April 28, 2013 at 11:11 pm |

Shit sandwich.

• Kidney Jess | April 28, 2013 at 11:11 pm |

oops, not to Phil…just about the Brew Crew’s uniform.

• Phil Hecken | April 28, 2013 at 11:17 pm |

“Shit sandwich.”

~~~

They can’t print that…

• Allan | April 28, 2013 at 11:12 am |

Kevin Miller – I love the Rockies Uniform, especially the cap. That C logo is great. I also like the Cubs cap with the bear nested in the C – I can’t imagine it ever replacing the Cubs home jersey, but it would instantly make the road uniforms better. Thanks for sharing your work!

• ChrisH | April 28, 2013 at 11:25 am |

Kevin Miller’s concepts were amazing!
    I really like his Expos-esque Nationals uniforms (especially the one with the tri-color cap).
    His Marlins treatment could use some black though (TFPIC!).

• Pat | April 28, 2013 at 11:28 am |

Maybe not the best day for feedback but my son is up early because he’s is cutting some teeth so here goes. After all the hubbub surrounding Nike’s takeover of the NFL contract I would say that it has generally improved the league’s look. Let’s look at the league as a whole, sure the neck roll and the sweat boxes can be slightly annoying but they exist because of performance improvements with the different types of fabric and the Nikelace so those can be chalked up to helping the players play better. Other than that the unis look the same if not better than their Reebok counterparts. Now looking at the 4 teams that have had complete redesigns. Seattle’s unis are a huge improvement over those bland and boring ones they had before and they reclaimed gray/silver as a part of the color scheme. Minnesota’s new unis are an enormous improvement over the nasty side panel jobs they had before. Jacksonville’s helmet was already cool with the color shifting paint and I would have

• Pat | April 28, 2013 at 11:42 am |

Stupid smartphone! Ok continued… been ok with them doing the same thing with black and gold, but the current look is not great. The uniforms are an improvement over what they had before. I would have rather they stuck with the teal as the primary , but that is the new owner’s thing not necessarily Nike’s. The Dolphins old uniforms were a tad stale. The new ones are not what they could have been. If they had just replaced the navy with orange they could have been better. I do appreciate the switch back to a lighter aqua color and I actually like the new logo. I would say only because the old ones were nothing to write home about that the new ones are kind of a wash. I wasn’t super impressed with the redesign though. This all being said, I would say the league looks better than it did two years ago. I am interested to see what they do with the Browns next year. I also would like to see them figure out the issues with their green color matching so we could see Eagles and Packers unis in the new cut. What are your thoughts uni watch nation?

• Kenny Ocker | April 28, 2013 at 1:07 pm |

I think you should start with paragraph breaks.

• Mark in Shiga | April 28, 2013 at 1:13 pm |

Kevin’s concepts are great — Padres, Marlins, and Rockies and Jays alts, particularly that shade of blue he’s got the Jays using. From the perspective of an anti-gray partisan, most of those colored jerseys would make great road uniforms right now. Love the Rockies’ new number font; love the return to yellow and brown for the Padres. The Marlins get their non-pinstripe nameplate back. It’s all great. Except for the Cubs: my team. Sorry, but the Cubs do not need NOBs anywhere, particularly at home!

But I love every single one of Matt Malinoski’s. See how much better jersey look without names on the backs? I like that pale brown shade for the Padres’ road uniforms. The Padres seem to alternate between way-too-garish and totally-insipidly-boring (like this year), and Matt’s prototypes are a happy medium. Big number font for the D-Backs and Rockies looks fantastic. And the Dodgers look better with that thicker number font. Last time they went NNOB, they didn’t go back to that, and the numbers looked too small because the outer white layer looks invisible.

Max Patkin trivia: didn’t that uniform of his have a ? on the back?

• Greg Brown | April 29, 2013 at 7:26 pm |

@ Mark – yes, Patkin’s jersey had a large “?” on the back.

IIRC, he said dancing with Susan Sarandon in “Bull Durham” was the highlight of his career.

• Kyle Allebach | April 28, 2013 at 1:30 pm |

Atlanta Black Crackers? They just don’t name ‘em like they used to.

• Dom.E. | April 28, 2013 at 1:41 pm |

RE: Tigers, Yankees concepts:

There are two team in MLB that wouldn’t and shouldn’t have alternate jerseys because they have never done it. That would be Detroit and the Yanks.

With that said, the road Tigers concept is almost exactly what I feel the Tigers should do. I would love to see a straight (not arched) Old English font “Detroit” rather than the stupid script. Otherwise, I wish they’d bring back the 80s-90s era block “Detroit” road font on the modern jersey. The home jersey is clean and one of the best home jerseys in all of baseball along with the Yankees’ top. Adding anything to their jerseys would be sacreligous outside of memorial and special event patches. I could see the tiger head as a patch on the road jersey maybe adding the old school circle with Detroit Tigers like the pre-90s logo.

• Mark in Shiga | April 28, 2013 at 2:00 pm |

The Tigers actually did have alternate jerseys around 2000 or so. Dark blue with the tiger-walking-through-D-logo on the front, and big white numbers (no NOB) on the back. I really liked them.

• Mark in Shiga | April 28, 2013 at 2:05 pm |

Looks like the year was 1995:

Front:

Back:

• Uni-Dweeb | April 29, 2013 at 12:39 pm |

Mark,
      I don’t recall the Tigers ever wearing an alternate jersey. It was probably just a BP jersey. I would need more proof, like a gameday photo. Spring training doesn’t count. The team did add an alternate cap, worn on only on the road, it was the usual blue with the orange brim with the “Tiger throught the D” logo replacing the Olde English D.

• Tenz | April 28, 2013 at 1:49 pm |

Nice to see both concepters putting the Padres back in brown and gold. To me, they’re one team that got it right the first time and have gone further and further astray since. Very nice work.

And by the way, as someone who was a big fan of the old Senators and have transferred that loyalty to the new Nats, I love the “pretzel” W and the current basic design (other than hating the softball tops and three-color hat) so hoping they’ll stick to their guns, though this design is excellent as well.

• Anthony Nuccio | April 28, 2013 at 3:01 pm |

I love those Cubs concept unis.

• allthewayray | April 28, 2013 at 3:12 pm |

I think the brown and gold was one of the Padres best looks but it seems like they’ll never return to those colors.

• Willard | April 28, 2013 at 3:17 pm |

I love malonski’s padre uniforms. And the orange METS on the white home uni is great too by Miller.

Great job on all of them and thanks for not putting BOSTONSTRONG on any of them

• Wheels | April 28, 2013 at 3:52 pm |

The Yankees should definitely use the top hat+bat logo as a sleeve patch on their road grays.

• Otis | April 28, 2013 at 4:18 pm |

Baseball needs to evolve away from the button-front shirt. When Michigan is wearing their throwback uniforms (v-neck pullover, sansabelt pants with the striped waistband), they’re the best dressed team in the sport. Baseball needs to move in that direction. It’s just time.

• The Jeff | April 28, 2013 at 4:56 pm |

Indeed. I really don’t understand why baseball ever went away from pullover jerseys. You have a sport where it’s common to have the team name written across the front of the jersey… so let’s totally destroy that wordmark by splitting it in the middle with a button-down jersey. Brilliant!

• Rydell | April 28, 2013 at 4:19 pm |

My favorites would be Cubs, genious! add an actual Cub to a Cubs uniform…why don’t the higher ups see these things..the db for Arizona’s cap I’ve always supported looks great! Only negative, no black for the Blue Jays..ever again.

• Minor League Guy | April 28, 2013 at 9:33 pm |

As for those two alternates for the Cardinals (the cream and red one), the Cardinals tried once to get rid of the Birds on the Bat (in ’56) and it might be one of the worst decisions in franchise history, i don’t see it going well in that cream alternate shown. The Cardinals are also the type of team that will never succumb to a softball top.

• Ted Machnik | April 28, 2013 at 9:40 pm |

Matt,

A wonderful return to brown and gold for the Padres (not a big fan of the head spoon, but that’s a personal preference). As for the Dodgers, I remember they sported a white outline on the “Dodgers” wordmark and numbers on their roadies.

Curious, do you ever hear from any of the teams about your concepts?

• Matt Malinoski | April 28, 2013 at 9:58 pm |

Thanks, Ted. I have never heard from any of the teams.

• Okiesoldier | April 29, 2013 at 9:04 am |

Those Padre Uni’s are sweet. Why won’t they go back to the brown and gold? The Padres currently have the worst uniform in baseball IMO.

• Uni-Dweeb | April 29, 2013 at 12:41 pm |

Matt and Kevin are on crack. You don’t mess with the Tigers white jersey, adding orange trim and changing the shape of the D? You’re obviously not Tiger fans. As a lifelong fan, I’m actually not opposed to an alternate, but your design is rubbish. The home whites are perfect as is, but I wouldn’t mind seeing the orange and white striped stirrups of the ’70’s making a comeback.

• reputation management | May 2, 2013 at 2:32 pm |

Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you writing this article plus
    the rest of the site is extremely good.

• Arjun Kanuri | May 3, 2013 at 2:31 am |

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website
    yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz reply as I’m looking to construct my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. cheers