Going Green

Dallas Stars - 2012

By Phil O’Hecken

Top o’the mornin’ to ya lads and lassies. Tis St. Patrick’s day.

Which can mean only one thing: an excuse for teams to break out green unis — now, I am normally 99.6% against such a practice, since I tend to hate gimmicks, but for some reason, on this one day when everyone is Irish, I can dig the wearin’ o’ the green — at least when it’s done in fun and not in games that count. Which is why I really enjoy seeing baseball clubs have some fun with it during spring training — after all, most clubs break out the BP tops all spring, so if you’re going to do that, you might as well break out the green on St. Patty’s day (or is it St. Paddy’s day?).

What you see in today’s splash is the uniform that was worn by the Dallas Stars during warmups last night against the Chicago Blackhawks. According to the Stars, the jerseys were worn for charity (to raise money for the “Dallas Stars Foundation”) and were auctioned off after the game. I couldn’t find any warm-up pics (and the Stars reverted to their standard unis for the game, but here is another shot of one of the warmup sweaters:

Dallas Stars - 2012

Pretty cool, right? And while I’m not usually one for ethnicizing a last name, I don’t think anyone would take too much umbrage at the monicker “McCRUSH’EM” right?

Today, I’m not sure just how many teams will be bustin’ out the green (more on prior wearing of such in a bit), but I do know the Mets will. Here’s the look they have planned:

mets-st-patricks-day-jersey - 2012
(front)

st-patricks-jersey-back - 2012
(back)

I don’t know if all players will actually have “St. Patrick” on the back (or some other Irishization of their name) but that’s kinda cool, no? I just wish it didn’t have those stupid side panels. Otherwise, it’s a pretty good looking jersey. No word on whether the game worn tops will be auctioned off for charity, but I do know replicas (or authentics) will be sold to the public. Still it’ll be fun for one day — the day when everyone is Irish for 24 hours.

~~~

The practice of wearing a special St.Patty’s day jersey is nothing new, and in fact, perhaps the most “Irish” of all cities has more fun with it (I think) than any other — indeed, the Bruins, Red Sox and Celtics (who already wear green, dontcha know) all participate in the fun in some form or other. The Bruins, like many NHL teams, don’t wear them in actual game play — teams like the Blue Jackets and Flames have worn them as well during warmups. And the Toronto St. Pat’s (obviously that’s a throwback) wore them for real.

Basketball too, is not immune to the wearin’ o’ the green: The Bulls, Knicks, and Raptors have all done it.

The national pasttime has a rich history of green: Just a few of the participants include the Dodgers, Phillies, (both of whom have had much nicer jerseys in years’ past). Of course, the jersey isn’t always green. Sometimes it’s just a special top & green cap (those are the Sawks), but the Tigers (beautiful) and Mets (not so much) have gone the green cap route in the past.

Of course, the best St. Patrick’s uniform may actually be worn during the regular season, as the Chicago White Sox participate in their annual “Half-way To St. Patrick’s Day” promotion on September 17 (or around that date if it’s not a home game). Good times, good times.

These are just a few examples of the breaking out of St. Patrick’s uniforms. I’m sure there are dozens, if not hundreds more (several of which I am aware of but am omitting for space limitations). But I bet there are a bunch we (as a collective) are not even aware of. I’d like to try to compile a list — and possibly make it a part of the UW research projects page. So, dear readers, can you help us out? In the comments below, please list (with photographic evidence, if possible) of any St. Patrick’s day uniforms worn, and if they were worn in game play or in just warmups.

Yeah, it’s a gimmick, but it’s a fun one. After all, everyone is Irish today, right?

~~~~~~~~~~

Benchies HeaderBenchies

by Rick Pearson

~~~

It’s good to get into the festivities…

3-17-12 d-Brace

And of course, the full-size.

~~~~~~~~~~

all sport uni tweaksUni Tweaks Concepts

We have another new set of tweaks, er…concepts today. After discussion with a number of readers, it’s probably more apropos to call most of the reader submissions “concepts” rather than tweaks. So that’s that.

So if you’ve concept for any sport, or just a tweak or wholesale revision, send them my way.

Please do try to keep your descriptions to ~50 words (give or take) per image — if you have three uniform concepts in one image, then obviously, you can go a little over, but no novels, OK? OK!. You guys have usually been good with keeping the descriptions pretty short, and I thank you for that.

And so, lets begin:

~~~

Today, we have a very special set of tweaks — coming to us from reader Wes Kull, who has submitted an entire set of league logos, which are pretty sweet. Here’s Wes:

~~~

Hello,

My name is Wes, and I’m a big fan of your blog and fellow Brooklynite and BFBS-hater. I’d love for you to check out and consider sharing a side project I’ve been working on over this past NFL season, which I think you’d appreciate and surely have some opinions on.

gridiron-league-8

This all started as an effort to stay ‘productive’ during the football season this year, but as I finish up the few remaining teams before the Super Bowl, I would like to try and take it to a bigger audience to help some folks remember what professional football used to look like. Let’s call it a ‘de’-design project instead of a re-design project.

From Gridiron League’s About page:

Gridiron League is a collection of idealized NFL insignias by Wes Kull that pays tribute to each teams’ history and geography in a period-specific aesthetic that glorifies the Vince Lomardi-era over the Cold-Activated®-era. This is not an exercise in nostalgia but an interpretation of the league’s founding principles through the symbols that we, as football fans, identify with most.

Patriots & Ravens

Giants & 49ers

*On my About page, I link to your blog in the paragraph below:

Many NFL franchises—Patriots, Broncos, Rams, Lions—have updated their uniforms and logos to a swooshed-out, dropped-shadowed, and more commercial-ready image, ignoring a good deal of their team’s heritage and the original rough-and-tumble character that the league stood for. The mud, blood, and grass stains that smeared across the varsity-style lettering and colors of jerseys past have been bleached out for iPads and HD screens, and new colors—lime greens, teals, and “Black For Black’s Sake”—introduced arbitrarily for the sake of selling more jerseys and attracting newer audiences.

Eagles, Vikings, Redskins, Dolphins

There are a handful of teams—Bears, Packers, Raiders, Saints, Steelers—that still play by the old school rules and don’t necessarily need this treatment, but in an effort to make this a cohesive and original project, no team was spared.

Raiders & Bears

Nike is taking over the jerseys next season after Reebok’s contract, and we can only hope that they will preserve the few remaining original logos and uniforms and revive the many histories that have long been relegated to ESPN Classic. As for the Ravens, Panthers, Jaguars, and Titans, we can only pretend.

Thanks for your time and hope you enjoy! Keep up the great work.

Wes

~~~

Very nice, Wes — The entire set can be viewed here.

~~~~~~~~~~

And Finally…the next contest

Last weekend’s request to have a contest for the new name and uniform for teams named for native peoples (on this day when we stereotype the Irish, no less), really didn’t get narrowed down terribly — so let’s make it simple:

Let’s offer some suggestions for new team names for the Washington football team (currently named the “Redskins”) and the Cleveland baseball team (known for now as the “Indians”). Today — let’s come up with a few new names for each. Post your suggestions below in the comments. Tomorrow, I’ll select some of the best suggestions for each and we’ll put those to a vote. Once we have a new nickname, we’ll build a uniform and logo contest around those new names.

So, for example, if suggestions for Washington football team’s new nickname are, say the “Warriors,” “Diplomats,” or “Pigskins,” we’ll have a contest built around the most popular new name (as selected by you, the reader). Likewise, whatever the new Cleveland name (“Naps”? “Spiders”? “Rockers”?), we’ll have a separate uniform/logo contest for that team. So, lets have some nominations (and second the ones you like) for new names and tomorrow we’ll vote on the best ones. OK? OK!

. . .

On that note, everyone have a fantastic St. Patrick’s Day. However you celebrate, be safe, OK?

By the way, is anyone’s bracket not busted now? Ouch. Enjoy the hoops, the puck and the spring training wearin’ o’ the green. See ya on the morrow.

~~~

“I’m in an airplane, and the battery is draining fast. So, please, everyone, no stupid shit about St Patrick’s Day.” — Conn Nugent

137 comments to Going Green

• Ricko | March 17, 2012 at 7:19 am |

Anyone else notice the new hot phrase for talking heads during the NFL free agency period?

“Getting the band back together”?

It’s rapidly moving right up there with “in space,” “trickeration” and numerous others on the annoyance scale.

• The Jeff | March 17, 2012 at 7:24 am |

Cleveland Bulldogs

Washington Warriors
    D.C. Dragons

• Wheels | March 17, 2012 at 7:59 am |

Washington Warriors

Cleveland Commandos

• Wheels | March 17, 2012 at 8:13 am |

Cleveland Municipals… (The Cleveland “Muni’s”)

• Chet Gole | March 17, 2012 at 7:38 am |

Cleveland Construction.
    – because thats what the city is always under.

Washington Potomac
    -After the river and famous crossing by G-Dub himself.

• Komet17 | March 17, 2012 at 8:38 am |

If you’re referring to the painting, Washington is crossing the Delaware, not the Potomac…

• StLMarty | March 17, 2012 at 10:03 am |

It was a lot funnier when Gumby crossed it.

• StLMarty | March 17, 2012 at 10:07 am |

If you haven’t seen it, it’s a must. Watching it has become a nice Fourth of July tradition.

• Chet Gole | March 17, 2012 at 10:04 am |

Ya you are right I got the two confused. #AmericanIdiot

• Jim Vilk | March 17, 2012 at 11:54 am |

Cleveland Construction.
      – because thats what the city is always under.

In that case you could also suggest Corruption or Curse…

• WFY | March 17, 2012 at 7:51 am |

New Washington team name — I’ve got you covered: the Washington Redbullets

• M. Sullivan | March 17, 2012 at 7:53 am |

Cleveland Barons
    Cleveland Oilers
    Cleveland Midges

Washington Senators
    Washington Mustangs
    Washington Assassins

• The Jeff | March 17, 2012 at 8:12 am |

I think I have to say NO to Mustangs. I don’t think anyone can come up with a logo that isn’t going to look like a ripoff of another previous horse-themed team. Denver Broncos, Calgary Stampeders, Birmingham Stallions, etc. There’s only so many ways to draw a horse…and if you go with a car theme, you get sued by Ford.

• M. Sullivan | March 18, 2012 at 11:25 pm |

Really late reply here, but what about say a P-51 Mustang

• AnthonyTX | March 17, 2012 at 12:40 pm |

Yes to Washington Senators. It’s the perfect name… so long as the defense and offense never play together or agree on how to beat the other team.

(sorry for the politics)

• Connie | March 17, 2012 at 8:03 am |

Rick’s final Benchies panel is the funny answer to a funny riddle. One of my faves.

Washington: Potomacs / Presidents / Continentals /
    Cleveland: Lakers / Lions / Dynamos

As a good OpEd in this morning’s NYTimes argues, today is a good opportunity to make Irishness a way of discussing – and supporting – immigration. Erin go Bragh!

• Gary | March 17, 2012 at 8:39 am |

I found the NYT opinion article as just another pointless diatribe that distorts the illegal immigration issue into a view that there’s something wrong with Americans.

Just one more example of why no one reads thier garbage any longer.

• Komet17 | March 17, 2012 at 9:38 am |

I’d like to hear the riddle…

• Gary | March 17, 2012 at 10:07 am |

Riddle: What’s an Irishman’s concept of foreplay?

• Ricko | March 17, 2012 at 9:55 am |

Ah, glad someone picked up on that.

• J.R. Clark | March 17, 2012 at 8:23 am |

The answer for Dan Snyder is easy: make the mascot a potato and there is nothing wrong with the team name “Redskins”.

• Gary | March 17, 2012 at 8:31 am |

Agree there is absolutely no reason to consider changing the Redskins name. But if we must, how about “Fighting’ Redskins.”

• Scott Bennett | March 17, 2012 at 12:33 pm |

Is “fighting” a verb or an adjective?

• Gary | March 17, 2012 at 3:25 pm |

Depends whether you lost the fight.

• David Johnson | March 17, 2012 at 8:37 am |

The Washington Redskins uniform set is near perfect, just wear the gold pants every game. Change the team name to Washington Americans.

Cleveland needs to get rid of that odd C logo and make Chief Wahoo the primary cap logo, change the road uniform Cleveland script back to its last design. Change the team name to Cleveland Americans.

• teenchy | March 17, 2012 at 8:38 am |

Washington Football Nationals

Cleveland Foresters (since Forest City/Cities doesn’t quite roll off the tongue)

• Juke Early | March 17, 2012 at 8:39 am |

I like a lot of the other’s idea for names. My previous sarcasm aside, I’ve tried for years to figure out a way to
    get that “silver dollar” George legendarily threw, into a shorter nick. So, I’d try the D.C. Dollars or in the tradition of the Buffalo Bills — the Washington Georges.

Cleveland is trickier. As The Jeff pointed out, Rockers is a bit close to “Rockies.” We should all live so long to see that matchup ;-) But hey— the @#%&*!Red Sox (who stole their name from Cinn.) played the Reds in the 1975 WS and most of us survived that one. How about the Cleveland Keys — after Key Tower?

BTW the masculine form is “Paddy.” The Gaelic being St. Padraig.

• Wheels | March 17, 2012 at 8:58 am |

So you were being sarcastic when you said you like the others’ ideas for names?

• Ray Barrington | March 17, 2012 at 9:00 am |

Washington Gippers (honoring both football history and a former president). Many years ago, Douglas Wallop (who wrote the book that became the musical “Damn Yankees”) wrote a book about football and named the team the Washington Lindens.

Cleveland Dockers (I smell corporate sponsorship).

• Adam H | March 17, 2012 at 9:02 am |

Washington Senators
    Washington Wolves
    Washington Americans (or Amerks)
    Washington football Capitols

Cleveland Lakers
    Cleveland Sixers (for the city’s nickname as the “Sixth City”)
    Cleveland Rivermen
    Cleveland Rockers
    Cleveland Steamers

• eethy | March 17, 2012 at 9:17 am |

Washington Wardogs or Warhawks.

Cleveland Rivermen or Space Ducks. That’s a nod to Howard the Duck.

• The Jeff | March 17, 2012 at 9:23 am |

On the one hand, I think I’d root for the Space Ducks just because they’re the Space Ducks. On the other… I think I’d rather forget that Howard the Duck exists.

How about we ignore Howard and use Daffy, aka “Duck Dodgers in the 24th & 1/2 Century”?

• Rob S | March 17, 2012 at 10:54 am |

Howard the comic-book character is fine.

Howard the movie character… yeah, no.

• tosaman | March 17, 2012 at 9:40 am |

Wes Kull –

Love the re-imagining of the NFL logos and your philosophy behind them.

If I weren’t such a Wisconsin boy, I’d buy that Steelers t-shirt in a heartbeat.

• Andrew Seagraves | March 17, 2012 at 2:38 pm |

I love this concept as well, Wes! There is something about the Carolina Panthers logo you did that catches my attention. Reminds me of the old Blue Jays (the one they reverted to) font for their numbers. I would love to see the panther in that stylistic approach. A baseball cap with some of those logos would be spiffy!

• hugh.c.mcbride | March 17, 2012 at 4:15 pm |

Completely agree with these well earned compliments. Wes has created a tremendous set of logos. One of the most impressive aspects of this endeavor is how all the logos “fit” (i.e. look like they belong together), yet each team has a logo that feels both unique & appropriate. In summary, well done, Mr. Kull!

• Russ | March 17, 2012 at 6:15 pm |

I love the 30 of the 32. Great Job!

The Steelers logo seems to step more away from heritage than the current logo. Maybe if the red, blue, and yellow stripes were removed or incorporated better, they would look essential. As they are, they seem to be more of a highlight and similar to the dropshadows that you do not like.

The Seattle logo is just ok. The logo reminds me more of the Sounders than the Seahawks. The Seahawks have such Native American/Totem/Bird of flight possibilities. This is not a step back as the Steelers is, since almost no design could be worse than the current Seahawks brand. There is more heritage in the Seattle organization/name than a few waves.

• Gusto44 | March 17, 2012 at 9:43 am |

Tampa Bay Transplants- A nod to the huge number of northern transplants in that area, really ticks off the Rays/Bucs/Lightning fans.

• paul g | March 17, 2012 at 9:46 am |

ORIOLES TO BE “SEEING GREEN” TODAY

• James | March 17, 2012 at 10:03 am |

Washington Federals
    Washington Bombers
    Washington Bluebellies (probably wouldn’t go with their uniform colors though)
    Washington Maroons

• Harrison Tishler | March 17, 2012 at 10:10 am |

I was at Citizens Bank Park last week. The Phillies will be wearing the ugly panel jerseys today against Toronto.

• C. TIntle | March 17, 2012 at 10:12 am |

Washington Red Scares
    Washington Burgundies (Can sub Ron for Chief Zee?)
    Washington Red Lines (double entendre for train wrecks)

I’m a Skins fan, and I like the idea of changing the team name to Americans… specifically referring to Native Americans… and making an effort to raise awareness for and education about the historical Native American peoples. There may yet be a way to honor them without changing the historical tradition of the burgundy & gold. The uniforms are close to my heart and really are perfect in every way… so long as there’s no more burgundy on burgundy pairings… Shanahan and Allen have really done it justice the past two years.

• Steve-o | March 17, 2012 at 11:50 am |

I’m a Skins fan too, and agree 100% with what you said. Keep the burgundy and gold, but go with Americans. Could they keep the logo in tact if they change the name?

• AnthonyTX | March 17, 2012 at 12:44 pm |

That’s a great idea. Perfect way to keep tradition and avoid having an offensive name. “Americans” is a pretty old-school team name and a terrific aural accompaniment to “Washington.” I love it, and agree that the uniforms and colors are perfect.

• StLMarty | March 17, 2012 at 10:18 am |

What if Cleveland went the other way?
    Too far?

• Gill | March 17, 2012 at 10:20 am |

The Dodgers used to wear green jerseys on St. Patrick’s Day at least 30 years years ago in Vero Beach. I don’t recall the plethora of other teams and sports doing that back then. They started it to honor the O’Malley family. I have no pictures, but did they have color film back then?

• Phil Hecken | March 17, 2012 at 11:40 am |

ricko?

• Ricko | March 17, 2012 at 11:48 am |

I’ve heard/read that, but never seen a photo.
        Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, I just can’t help with any images.

• Adam w | March 17, 2012 at 10:54 am |

Cleveland rocks

• Adam w | March 17, 2012 at 10:55 am |

FYI; that was a name suggestion, not a factual statement…

• Kevin Poss | March 17, 2012 at 10:59 am |

Braves wearing green lids today:

• Shane | March 17, 2012 at 11:05 am |

Ah Ricko, if only that t-shirt were real. I’m heading down to Boston tonight and sleeping on the couch of a young woman named Colleen.

• interlockingtc | March 17, 2012 at 11:08 am |

Mr. Kull, this is the smartest, most original, well rendered, cohesive and inspired set of logo concepts I’ve seen. It makes me happy looking at these. Congratulations!

(The Ravens needn’t look elsewhere, for their missing logo is on your page. Wonderful.)

• Damon | March 17, 2012 at 11:10 am |

Was at the Blackhawks – Stars game last night. Seeing those in person just enforced the idea that the Stars should be wearing green full time.

• Hodges14 | March 17, 2012 at 11:16 am |

As much as I hate the PC bullsh*t that is going into this, I think a contest might be a good way to get the creative juices flowing

Here are my proposed name changes:

Washington Americans, Redhawks, Soldiers,
    Cleveland Knights, Barons, Generals (Napoleon Lajoie)

• The Jeff | March 17, 2012 at 11:34 am |

Redhawks has been done already, sorta – see the football videogame Blitz: The League. I think it worked well enough within that fictional universe, but in an NFL that already has Falcons, Ravens, Cardinals, Eagles & Seahawks, another bird team would be lame.

• Arr Scott | March 17, 2012 at 11:16 am |

Washington …
    Americans
    Commanders
    Monuments
    Founders

Cleveland …
    Babes
    Commodores
    Porters
    45s (the record, not the revolver)
    Spinners (another record reference)
    Grovers
    Reserves

• Padday | March 17, 2012 at 11:18 am |

Being Irish, I can tell you that very little pisses us off more than calling St. Patrick “St. Patty.” This is doubly so for myself since my name is Patrick.

Here is a handy guide for those of you who are still confused: http://paddynotpatty...

Everything else, the drunkenness, the green, the ridiculous stereotypes etc. etc. we’re cool with. Just respect that the Welsh chap who came to Ireland and inflicted Roman Catholicism on us was not Patty.

• Dane | March 17, 2012 at 11:23 am |

The Cincinnati Reds also went green on St. Patrick’s day back in the 70’s and 80’s.

• DenverGregg | March 17, 2012 at 11:29 am |

Gridiron League is mostly great.

Contest

– Wastrels;
    – Puppets;
    – Conspirators;
    – Crooks;
    – Carpetbaggers.

• Jack | March 17, 2012 at 11:45 am |

Where are the St Patty’s Mets jerseys going to be sold? I had a conversation with the head of merchandising down in St Lucie and he told me they would NOT be selling the jerseys because Majestic could not come through on getting them for the shop.

• Phil Hecken | March 17, 2012 at 11:51 am |

hmmm…i had thought i’d heard they’d be selling them in the port st. lucie shop, but it doesn’t surprise me in the least that majestic failed (again)

say what you folks will about nike, UA, reedidas, etc, but their quality control and production capabilities far, FAR exceed those of majestic

• Jim Vilk | March 17, 2012 at 11:52 am |

since I tend to hate gimmicks

…except for Oregon unis, stealth numbers and neon socks. Oh wait…that last one *I* like.

Anyway, my first reflex is to suggest Washington Federals, but I’m liking the name Americans…especially after CTIntle’s earlier post. Maroons is pretty good, too – I don’t think Pottsville’s coming back into the league, so take their name.

Cleveland Rocks would be fun, but obviously that one won’t make it. Barons would be nice, but a part of me thinks the Blue Jackets will one day move to Cleveland and reuse the Barons moniker. I wouldn’t mind the Spiders. Sure, the mascot would be ugly, but it couldn’t be any uglier than Slider. How about Cleveland Coasters? Nearby Cedar Point is the roller coaster capital of the world, plus C-Town sits on America’s North Coast. There, that’s my pick.

• Ricko | March 17, 2012 at 11:52 am |

Gridiron League work is…elegant.
    Some nice stuff there.
    Sort of the Ralph Lauren take on NFL logos.

• The Jeff | March 17, 2012 at 11:59 am |

I said it the last time it was linked here (seriously, this was a ticker item a few months back) and I’ll say it again… these look more like beer/wine labels than sports team logos. I’m sure they took a decent amount of effort and they’re well done, but they just… don’t work. A few of them aren’t bad, but most of them seem forced and don’t really have much of a connection to the team they represent.

• DenverGregg | March 17, 2012 at 12:07 pm |

I thought I’d seen ’em before too. Glad it wasn’t just my imagination. Because they’re all from the same source, they have a shared aesthetic. That aesthetic works better for some viewers than for others. If you dislike any element that’s common to many of the concepts, you’re not going to like many of them and vice versa.

BTW those Toronto St. Pats unis are my new NHL ATF.

• Phil Hecken | March 17, 2012 at 12:14 pm |

ya know…i THOUGHT i’d seen them before as well, but i did a search on “uni watch” and “gridiron league” and nothing came up — well, other than the GUD, which is completely different

still, this is a set i don’t mind seeing again

• Ricko | March 17, 2012 at 12:17 pm |

I judged them more as alts. For apparel purposes, perhaps.
      Y’know, like the variations on Payne Stewart’s shirt and sweaters when he was wearing NFL stuff?

Not as replacements for actual logos.

• HHH | March 17, 2012 at 11:58 am |

What’s wrong with side panels on a baseball jersey? I think they look pretty cool!

• The Jeff | March 17, 2012 at 12:05 pm |

What’s wrong with side panels on a baseball jersey?

In general… nothing. On this particular uniform, everything. A blue & orange team is wearing a green jersey with orange numbers and white side panels. It’s just bad.

If they really have to wear a green jersey, it should follow the same template as their normal white uniforms – replace the white with the green, not the blue.

• Matt Beahan | March 17, 2012 at 11:59 am |

Can’t find an image, but the Utah Jazz wore their ’81-84 green unis at home on St Paddy’s Day 1986 vs. the Pistons, which could have been the first time an NBA team wore a special “holiday” jersey…

• Tom | March 17, 2012 at 12:08 pm |

Did anyone notice the irony of the Mets’ St. Paddy’s Day unis being a combination of green and orange?

• Padday | March 17, 2012 at 12:16 pm |

Orange is for the protestants yes but the flag of the Republic is a combination of green and orange (or gold, i guess) too. They may not realize it but they are evoking that same spirit of cooperation and peace which the flag (ostensibly at least) attempts to signify.

• Dumb Guy on iPhone | March 17, 2012 at 12:18 pm |

Washington Insiders
    (since DC is inside the beltway)

Washington Monuments

DC Metros

Washington Rivermen

• kyle f | March 17, 2012 at 12:23 pm |

Washington Indians

Cleveland Redskins

Wash logo is an Indian with brown skin, and Chief Wahoo is red, works perfectly

• Domenico Delgado | March 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm |

I really think the a’s should make their jerseys kelly green for st patty’s day.

• Kyle Allebach | March 17, 2012 at 12:27 pm |

Washington Generals
    Washington Warriors (keep with native american theme)
    D.C. Capitals (to distinguish from the hockey team)
    Washington Federals

Cleveland Calvary (that’s all I got)

• Komet17 | March 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm |

You probably mean “Cavalry” (soldiers on horseback) rather than “Calvary” (site of Christ’s crucifixion).

• Domenico Delgado | March 17, 2012 at 12:35 pm |

If you’ve seen the Oakland A’s new Oaks unis well, they’ve been worn before. the two links: http://90feetofperfe...

• Simply Moono | March 17, 2012 at 2:11 pm |

How are you gonna call them proper Oaks unis and they a’int got no striped stirrups? If they were really down with baseball, they’ed have their ‘rups and their all-black spikes on, brother. Where are the retro gloves? Where are the spikes? Where are the striped ‘rups? What’s goin’ on?!

(http://www.youtube.c...)

• J. Colbert | March 17, 2012 at 12:47 pm |

The Chicago Wolves of the AHL have put up a web page with all of their past St. Pat jerseys. This year they are very boring. http://chicagowolves...

• Scott Bennett | March 17, 2012 at 12:50 pm |

That Dallas Fistric sweater reminds me of university intramural hockey where we used to put gimmick names on our shirts. I remember playing against “The Russians” with Stokiniv, Phukov, Wakov, as their top line. Goalie called dletov.

Good times…

• Attila Szendrodi | March 17, 2012 at 12:59 pm |

“on this one day when everyone is Irish….”

I disagree.

• HHH | March 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm |

Here’s my suggestions for new names for the Washington Redskins:

Washington Justice
    D.C. Justice

The motto for Washington D.C. is “Justitia Omnibus” which means “Justice for All”. This name also makes a nice reference to Supreme Court Justices. As we all know the Supreme Court is in Washington D.C.

Since “Omnibus” sounds cool I might as well suggest these as well:

Washington Omnibus
    D.C. Omnibus

Maybe Jerome Bettis will come out of retirement and join the team?

Here are some other names:

Washington Monuments
    D.C. Pentagons
    Washington Stealth
    D.C. Stealth
    Washington Freedom
    D.C. Freedom
    D.C. Declaration
    Washington Commanders (reference to “Commander in Chief”)
    D.C. Commanders
    Washington Marines
    D.C. Marines
    Washington Columbias
    Washington Representatives
    Washington Congress
    D.C. Congress
    Washington Lawmakers
    D.C. Lawmakers
    Washington Politicians
    D.C. Politicians
    Washington Birds of Prey
    D.C. Birds of Prey
    Washington Warthogs (named after the A-10 Thunderbolt II military plane)
    Washington Obelisks
    D.C. Obelisks
    Washington Marble
    D.C. Marble
    Washington Predators (Named after the drone planes)
    D.C. Predators
    Washington Drones (Again, named after the unmanned planes)
    D.C. Drones
    Washington Glory
    D.C. Glory
    Washington Stripes (A reference to a design element on the US flag and also the saying “Earn your stripes” which is a military saying.)
    D.C. Stripes
    D.C. Battleships
    Washington Carriers
    D.C. Carriers
    Washington Cadets
    D.C. Cadets
    Washington Veterans
    Washington Fighters (Double meaning, for people who fight and for fighter planes)
    Washington Defenders
    D.C. Defenders
    Washington Jarheads
    D.C. Jarheads
    Washington Leathernecks
    D.C. Leathernecks

And finally, this one might be my favorite out of them all:

D.C. Democracy

• JAson | March 17, 2012 at 1:23 pm |

Even though my alma mater would never allow it, I’d like the see the Indians honor the city’s negro league history and go with the Cleveland Buckeyes.

• Joe | March 17, 2012 at 1:43 pm |

Washington Stars (Stars on Flag/Star for Capital City)
    Cleveland Blue Sox

• Gregory Koch | March 17, 2012 at 1:49 pm |

Washington Watergates (because they break into your backfield)
    Washington Whigs
    Washington Weedeaters
    Washington Assassins
    Washington Blackwater

Cleveland Americans
    Cleveland Ohioans
    Cleveland Not-Canadians
    Cleveland Pennants (after the Ohio State flag and the team’s presumed goal)
    Cleveland Gonfalons (same thing)
    Cleveland Communists (as a response to the Cincinnati Reds)
    Cleveland Lakers
    Cleveland Watermelons

• Cort | March 17, 2012 at 2:04 pm |

I really liked the sound of “Cleveland Steamers”: it evoked the days of the huge lakegoing ships, plying the waters of those enormous inland seas. I liked it so much, it seemed impossible that no team has used it before. So I looked it up.

There goes another perfectly good name, ruined by you rotten kids.

• HHH | March 17, 2012 at 2:05 pm |

Here are my suggestions for new names for the Cleveland Indians:

Cleveland Hits (double meaning, as in hitting a baseball and a hit song)

Cleveland Smash Hits (same idea as above)

Cleveland Diamonds (double meaning, as in baseball diamond and your album is certified “Diamond” when you sell 10,000,000 units)

Cleveland Records
    Cleveland Recorders
    Cleveland Record Breakers (another double meaning)
    Cleveland Platinums
    Cleveland Gold Records (or just Cleveland Gold)
    Cleveland Jukeboxes
    Cleveland 78’s
    Cleveland RPM’s
    Cleveland Disc Jockeys
    Cleveland DJ’s
    Cleveland Turntables
    Cleveland Players (as in record player, and baseball player)
    Cleveland Chart Toppers
    Cleveland Industry
    Cleveland Progress / Cleveland Prosperity (Cleveland’s motto is Progress & Prosperity)
    Cleveland Cuyahogas (after the county Cleveland is in and a nearby river)
    Cleveland Rockstars
    Cleveland Rock Stars
    Cleveland Rock Gods
    Cleveland Rock Idols
    Cleveland Idols
    Cleveland Radio Stars
    Cleveland Eries
    Cleveland North Coasters (or just Cleveland Coasters)
    Cleveland Electrics
    Cleveland Guitars
    Cleveland Guitar Gods
    Cleveland Cleavers (it just sounds cool, LOL!)
    Cleveland Grovers (after the US President)
    Cleveland Crankers (as in “crank up the volume”, and he cranked a home run)
    Cleveland Vinyl
    Cleveland Vinyls
    Cleveland Elevens (after the famous Spinal Tap quote)

“Rockers” has been suggested many times, but why not “Rollers”?

Cleveland Rollers

And since I already recommended “Coasters”, why not this:

Cleveland Roller Coasters

I think this is my favorite out of them all, because it references both Rock ‘n’ Roll, and the “North Coast” nickname of the Cleveland area.

• James A | March 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm |

Cleveland Midges (It was suggested last week, but I didn’t see it posted today as I scrolled)
    Cleveland Miners (Since there is a salt mine under Lake Erie)

Washington Monuments (A fairly popular fan suggestion in the renaming of the Bullets that was cast aside by a weak excuse by Abe Pollin and his cronies.)
    Washington Renegades (A suggestion of one of my friends who notes that it would allow them to continue to use the “R” iconography on hats, helmets, etc. and would allow for some Revolution Era themes in honor of our first President.)

• Tim E. O'B | March 17, 2012 at 2:09 pm |

I kinda like Washington Pigskins and Cleveland Americans (or maybe Tribe).

• Tim E. O'B | March 17, 2012 at 2:11 pm |

Cleveland Burning Cuyahogas?

• Tim E. O'B | March 17, 2012 at 2:14 pm |

I kinda really like this one, I may do a concept even idf it isn’t picked…

Lets go ‘Hogas *clap, clap, clap-clap-clap*

• Tim E. O'B | March 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm |

Also, it should be noted I’m apologetically drinking black and tans today because it’s one of my favorite colorways.[/being an asshole] Oh, who am I kidding [being an asshole]

• Simply Moono | March 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm |

My friend played on a soccer team some ten years ago called the Soccers, so maybe the Cleveland Baseballs or the Washington Footballs are acceptable? No? Alright, how ’bout the aforementioned Cleveland Barons and the Washington Warriors? Yeah, I got nothin’ =P

• Cort | March 17, 2012 at 2:28 pm |

Cleveland used to be known as The Forest City. The Western Reserve was in the middle of one of the largest hardwood forests in the world, home to beautiful waterways, abundant wildlife, and a thriving native population. Here are some names that celebrate all of that:

Cleveland Sycamores
    Cleveland Cuyahogas (look it up — they’ve done some amazing things to reclaim that river)

There’s always birds:

Cleveland Blue Herons
    Cleveland Cormorants

Or fish:
    Cleveland Steelheads

• Simply Moono | March 17, 2012 at 2:52 pm |

Cleveland Oaks?

• Cort | March 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm |

This is not a knock on the Redskins fans, or on their great teams in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, but you can’t deny that there may not be a pro sports franchise in North America that has a more troubled history regarding race. George Preston Marshall was a bad guy. He fought tooth and nail against integration. The Redskins were the last team to break the color barrier. “Redskins” is just part of the problem.

I propose a name that expiates some of that bad history. The team used to play in the heart of a historic African-American community. Why not acknowledge that history?

Washington Anacostias

Or, perhaps a bit less obscure, how about the Washington Kings, in honor of the good Doctor?

You can do a lot with “Washington Kings” — it honors a civil rights pioneer, but there’s also a certain irony to it. And in a city with the worst set of team nicknames in the world — “Nationals” and “Capitals” are GPS locations; “Wizards” is just stupid — “Kings” would stand alone.

• Phil Hecken | March 17, 2012 at 3:07 pm |

thank you cort!

well said

• Andrew Seagraves | March 17, 2012 at 2:56 pm |

If we’re going with tribute to people from a certain area – how about the Cleveland Franks for Frank Yankovic, the Polka King! He’s got a Grammy and a few platinum singles and lived in Cleveland after moving there from West Virginia…

The Washington Traffic?

• Andrew Seagraves | March 17, 2012 at 2:58 pm |

How would you incorporate an Accordion into a baseball logo?

• gak29 | March 17, 2012 at 3:34 pm |

Ran across this this morning. Apparently, the green on St. Patrick’s Day goes back to the 1899 Phillies:

• Andrew | March 17, 2012 at 4:08 pm |

Huge Redskins fan, could never see the name changing, BUT

I could live with the Washington Potomacs (the name of the tribe that lived in the area).
    Change nothing but the name, and your golden.

• Andrew | March 17, 2012 at 4:35 pm |

Jeremy Guthrie is wearing a green glove for the Rockies today. Dodgers wearing green jerseys, with red numbers that are really hard to read, at least on the front. The bases are also green.

• G-PoNg | March 17, 2012 at 4:45 pm |

Washington Insiders

• G-PoNg | March 17, 2012 at 4:47 pm |

Cleveland Rocks

• G-PoNg | March 17, 2012 at 4:57 pm |

Could you shorten the name to Washington Reds?

• Ricko | March 17, 2012 at 5:00 pm |

If only a early American writer/essayist had lived in the Maryland-Virginia area instead of New York, they could be…

Washington Irvings.
    (y’know, like Buffalo Bills)

• Ricko | March 17, 2012 at 5:38 pm |

Then again, Buffalo Bill didn’t spend a helluva lot of time making his legend as a frontiersman in upstate New York, did he.

• Brendan Burke | March 17, 2012 at 5:44 pm |

Washington [CENSORED]

• Gil Neumann | March 17, 2012 at 5:49 pm |

Cleveland Blues
    – to balance out Ohio with the Cincinnati Reds

Washington Americans
    Washington Colonists
    Washington Continentals
    Washington Revolution
    Washington United
    – these names pay a nod to the founding of America

• James A | March 17, 2012 at 9:03 pm |

D.C. already has a team called United. Would it look good for the NFL to follow the MLS’s lead?

• Phil Hecken | March 17, 2012 at 9:07 pm |

“Would it look good for the NFL to follow the MLS’s lead?”

~~~

jim vilk has just demanded we add a “LIKE” button

• Gil Neumann | March 18, 2012 at 9:27 am |

If it’s a reasonable name, why not? Pardon me for not knowing how to anticipate what others’ opinions could be. Just thought I’d throw a few out there for fun… I’ll be sure to run it by the elite comments police the next time.

• Gary | March 17, 2012 at 5:50 pm |

Check this out: the Phillies went green on St Patty’s ∂ay in …. 1899! Read about here: http://www.philly.co...

• Gary | March 17, 2012 at 5:56 pm |

Not sure why the link doesn’t work, but Google this and it works: “www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillies_zone/Phillies-in-green–113-years-ago.html”

• Ryan | March 17, 2012 at 6:11 pm |

Holy crap, Wes! Those are phenomenal! I think what I like best is that, while some borrow from a team’s past logos and wordmarks, they still feel fresh & unique, as compared to other redesigns we see that appear to shy to overhaul the current logo. I can picture these on faded tees.

• Patrick_in_MI | March 17, 2012 at 6:49 pm |

Cleveland Mistakes
    Washington Donkephants

• James A | March 17, 2012 at 9:02 pm |

Being as how Tug McGraw brought the St. Patrick’s Day jerseys to the Phillies, here’s an old 7-Up commercial he did. Love that “World Champions” warm-up jacket: http://www.youtube.c...

• Tim E. O'B | March 17, 2012 at 9:24 pm |

JESUS TAPDANCING CHRIST, JTH (and others), WE DID IT! IU DID IT! HOO HOO HOO HOOSIERS!

• Michael Emody | March 17, 2012 at 10:23 pm |

The Bulls are in green tonight. Possibly for losing to Portland last night.

• Nick | March 17, 2012 at 10:32 pm |

You can’t dismiss the heritage of Cleveland baseball.

Forest Citys of Cleveland (1869)
    Cleveland Blues (1882)
    Cleveland Spiders (1887)

• Rydell | March 17, 2012 at 10:50 pm |

Even though the Maple Leafs are sucking, I still love’em. Years ago they were originally called the ST.PATS. Today is Mar.17th, ST. PATrick’s day, the Maple Leafs were playing their usual Saturday night Hockey Night in Canada game vs Sens, you’d think they’d spend a fraction of ticket buyers’ money(which is a f*** load-one of the highest!) and INVEST and respect St.Patrick and wear them DURING GAMEPLAY, but no of course not..that would make too much sense!! Btw the Senators were in green in warmups, not the maple leafs-no green no st.pats nothing, not surprised jus sayin..go leafs go

• Rob S | March 17, 2012 at 10:58 pm |

Just an utterly amusing thing, not uni-related… but I went to check the NBA page on ESPN.com to see if the Pistons were playing tonight (so that I can know to listen to the Red Wings on FM radio tonight, or if I’d have to stream it online because the Pistons’ new radio deal gives them priority and bumps the Wings to an AM station with a garbage signal at night).

Anyway, I was so amused by the Toronto-Charlotte entry on the box score – specifically, their abbreviations. Why? Because “TOR-CHA” makes me immediately think of this scene!

And, because I’m so easily amused, I made this image of a fake Top Story.

• Rydell | March 17, 2012 at 11:02 pm |

Come to think of it Toronto is a multicultural city. For them to have ‘saint patrick’ on their jersey might offend some. Something like I heard the other day at work, students standing outside the classroom during the national anthem and not saluting our flag because of different beliefs

• Scott S. | March 18, 2012 at 1:12 am |

Cleveland Fire

Washington Presidents (The logo cold be a top hat)

• Paul Q. | March 18, 2012 at 4:43 am |

How about the Washington Colonials?

• Stephen Lemire | March 18, 2012 at 5:11 am |

Cleveland Buckeyes
    Cleveland Heartlanders
    Cleveland Rollers
    Cleveland Progress
    Cleveland River Monsters
    Cleveland Zips

*Editor’s note: all above have some sort of underlying meaning, not just random choices of words*

• Barno | March 18, 2012 at 8:25 am |

Cleveland Spiders!!

As a lifetime fan of the Tribe, I always liked that name from the past. I would love to see a hat that looks like a spider stitched it’s web onto it. A spider could have so many animated possibilities.

Let’s break the manly stereotypes of football and try: the Washington Cherry Blossoms.

• Les | March 18, 2012 at 9:45 am |

I wonder how many people would recognise the St Patrick flag if they saw it. It isn’t green.

• Bill | March 18, 2012 at 12:06 pm |

Although it would seem to work better for a soccer club, I’ve always been a fan of Cleveland Forest City, or Cleveland Foresters, or Cleveland Greens, for those who like plural names.

• I visit this site | March 18, 2012 at 3:49 pm |

naturally like your web site however you have to check the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very bothersome to tell the reality however I will definitely come again again.

• Brendan | March 18, 2012 at 6:50 pm |

Always thought Cleveland Natives would work. You have to have some connection to the city to care about them. Still pays homage to Sockalexis (if that is why they were called Indians.)

• Sully | March 19, 2012 at 8:19 pm |

What about taking something from the history of the ‘Skins that would still resonate with fans, not be offensive, and work with the current scheme? The Washington Hogs! (Or if you really wanted to keep all the classic ‘R’ designs and step on the toes of Arkansas we could go with Razorbacks.) A Hogs nickname screams Burgundy and Gold while still paying homage to the current franchise and its glory years. How ’bout it folks?