Every Stupor Bowl week, someone will ask me, “You work in media, so don’t you wanna go to Media Day?” No thank you. Who wants to deal with that zoo? I’m happy to stay home, watch the highlights, and comb through the photos for uni-notable moments, and this year there were more of them than usual:
• Between the Stupor Bowl patch, the Myra Kraft memorial patch, the chest wordmark, the collar piping, the shoulder stripes, and the multi-color TV numbers, the upper part of the Patriots’ jersey looks ridiculously busy. Things look much simpler — and better — on the Giants’ jersey, even with the addition of the SB patch.
• A bunch of the Pats were passing around a tricorn hat. Very cool move — I like. Have they done this for past Stupor Bowls?
• In other headwear news, Kyle Hix and Christian Cox donned sombreros while being interviewed for Mexican TV.
• Still more headwear: NFLPA honch DeMaurice Smith showed up in his signature hat.
• At one point Victor Cruz held up a Puerto Rican flag, an interesting reminder that America’s changing demographics will likely be bringing more Hispanic players into the NFL soon.
• For reasons that aren’t entirely clear to me (and that I’m pretty sure I don’t want to know), someone presented Sergio Brown with a bra that had supposedly belonged to Madonna.
• Tiquan Underwood had Flying Elvis shaved into his head.
• I would not in a million years have pegged Ahmad Bradshaw as a designer eyewear guy.
• Tom Brady had a little notch cut in his undershirt collar.
• Gee, I can’t figure out who sponsored Media Day. Can you?
Uni Watch News Ticker: We already knew the Broncos were changing to orange jerseys next year. But here’s an article indicating that it will actually be “burnt orange,” although almost everything else in that article is so useless that I don’t put much stock in the “burnt” descriptor (from Dana Prey). … Oh baby, look at this amazing old Fort Dix baseball uni (big thanks to Austin Cohoon). … Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: Syracuse is using uni numbers for its tennis team. Never seen that before (from Mike Weston). … You knew the NFL Players Association went out on strike in 1982. But did you know they staged their own games, complete with NFLPA uniforms? I didn’t. The helmet logo is the same one shown on this patch, although that photo shows the patch on a Broncos jersey, for reasons that are unclear (all of this courtesy of Tom Jacobsen). … No visuals yet, but new helmets in the works for Texas Tech (from Will Risinger). … Big news at Maryland, which has ditched Under Armour — but only for lacrosse (from Mike Kochczynski). … Skip Schumaker barely appears in his own 2012 Topps baseball card, but it’s still a really great card design (from Chris Falvey). … Going Gray, Chapter 217: “There have been whispers about a new colorway for WVU football, and now these photos have hit Twitter,” says Chris Cocuzza. Further info here. … UNC hoops coach Roy Williams had some amusing comments about the new Nike uniforms and the Coaches vs. Cancer footwear the other day (from Chris Warfford). … In a related item, Penn State hoops coach Patrick Chambers used Coaches vs. Cancer as a way of saluting Joe Paterno (from Chris Flinn). … Stupor Bowl week means lots of coldcut stadiums (from Mark Kaplowitz). … NYC police officers can no longer display the NYPD logo while off-duty (thanks, Kirsten). … New logo for the L.A. Blues soccer team (from Kenn Tomasch). … Guess what T-shirt I won’t be ordering anytime soon. “I teach PE, and one of my kindergartners was wearing it,” says Matt Ryburn. … The hottest item in Indy this week is apparently a hand-knitted scarf. … The Pacers wore their racing stripe throwbacks last night. … A fairly epic assortment of old WHA graphics and photos here. … Dominican baseball note: Pretty massive helmet logo being worn by the Leones de el Escogido (screen shots by R. Cabrera).