solider field.jpg

Several Chicago Bears players apparently have a few issues with the Soldier Field turf. I confess that I’m not particularly sympathetic — a crummy field surface is kinda old-school, right? Still, it would be nice if the grounds crew could at least center the midfield logo on the 50-yard line, instead of the 45. (Thanks to Alan Borock for the photo.)

New ESPN column today — the annual NFL season preview, with lots of good stuff. Look here.

Raffle Results: The winner of the Jim Parker Memorial Helmet Raffle is Anthony Giaccone. Congrats to him, and thanks to all who entered.

Special Notice for NYCers with a Clue: As you may be aware, the band that made one of history’s most perfect records is playing at Southpaw this Saturday, and I happen to have two extra tickets that I’d be happy to sell at a discount. If you’re interested, please speak up.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod, it doesn’t get much better than this short 1953 movie about hockey. Stop whatever you’re doing now and watch it. No, not later — NOW. Well, except for Teebz, since he probably watched it in second grade (awesome find by Frank Mercogliano). … Anyone know why the base umps in Monday’s Bosox/Chisox game were wearing red caps? (As spotted by Steven Johnston.) … The Cowboys are color-coordinating their practice jerseys (with thanks to Stephen King). … Terrelle Pryor had a shout-out to Michael Vick on his eye-black the other day (with thanks to Chris Flinn). … A jersey snafu turned out to be very costly for a Chinese soccer team (with thanks to B. Cheng). … Justin Eller has put together a new site devoted to UVa football, including coverage of uniforms; programs, media guides, and other printed matter (I especially like some of the old ticket stubs); and tons of game photos, among other useful data. Nicely done. … The CFL’s Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Toromto Argonauts both wore throwbacks for the annual Labour Day Classic on Monday. “Of particular note is the fact that the Tiger-Cats accurately wore yellow throwback helmets,” writes Doug Brei. “This differed from their throwback-wannabe helmets during the CFL’s league-wide ‘Retro Week’ earlier in the season. The correct color is yellow, not black.” The Argonauts, meanwhile, dressed like so. … Nice little gallery of old Taylor University photos here (with thanks to Tim Lofton). … Whoa, looks like someone got a bargain (nice find by Ryan Perkins). … The Nets are finally first at something! Unfortunately — but not surprisingly — it’s something pretty douchebag-ish. … Relatively amusing assessment of NBA logos currently ongoing (with thanks to Robert Saietta). … In a related item, there’s a new sci-fi novel in which almost every planet in the galaxy has a corporate sponsor, which I’m sure Mark Cuban would be all in favor of. … Justice Sonia Sotomayor wore one of those white lace collar thingies for her first day of work at the Supreme Court, thereby maintaining the protocol of America’s two other female Justices. Further info, including a video report, here. … David Brown reports that the San Francisco Airport currently has a really nice exhibit on the Pacific Coast League. Although it’s out of focus, look at the beaver jumping through the program cover at the bottom of this shot. … Great shot of George Gervin’s old warm-up shirt (with thanks to Matt Mitchell). … Oooh, check out this awesome vintage Bengals sweater (click on the thumbnails for the full effect). … Kenn Tomasch nominates these guys as history’s worst-dressed chain gang, and it’s hard to disagree. That’s from a USFL game in 1984. … You know, I don’t even think it deserves to be called Shea. … Yesterday I mentioned that Mississippi Valley State was wearing a Steve McNair memorial decal. As several readers pointed out, all SWAC teams are wearing it. … New hoops uni for Washington State.

219 comments to Anyone Who Posts ‘Wanna Get Away?’ or ‘Great Googly-Moogly’ in the Comments Gets Banned, No Exceptions

• The Jeff | September 9, 2009 at 7:37 am |

• JTH | September 9, 2009 at 8:16 am |

Looks like yellow to me.

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 8:18 am |

Some of the yellow-gold’s out there do flirt with orange, especially on helmets for some reason. If you put them side by side with original Bucs or Tennessee can see it still isn’t truly orange, though.

Great PCL stuff. Just another reason to love San Francisco, even the airport, which is one of a dwindling number where you can still have a drink or a meal OUTSIDE the security check.

• Thumper Jones | September 9, 2009 at 8:19 am |

• Kyle | September 9, 2009 at 8:23 am |

From Miller Park yesterday …

• Dane | September 9, 2009 at 8:23 am |

You know, I don’t even think it deserves to be called Shea.

If only Citi Field had brought in a bunch of people to test the toilets before the building opened…

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 8:23 am |

Can we say, “…but who are the ‘Chefs’?”?
    (now there’s a punctuation nightmare)

• rren | September 9, 2009 at 8:24 am |

is their a link to collumn?

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 8:28 am |

“Justice Sonia Sotomayor wore one of those white lace collar thingies for her first day of work at the Supreme Court…”

Damn, I was expecting a black Oregon jersey.

• Peter S | September 9, 2009 at 8:39 am |

• Hoolie | September 9, 2009 at 8:40 am |

Nice try Hamilton, but you STILL didn’t do a true throwback. Take look at the pic from way back when and tell me where you see a black facemask and white cleats. You don’t, that’s why!! Throwback means throwback…grey facemasks, black cleats (with white shoelaces). And match the yellow better too. The modern “yellow” looks terrible.

• Dane | September 9, 2009 at 8:43 am |

The mask shows an eagle holding Grant Fuhr’s mask in its claws.

• bill | September 9, 2009 at 8:57 am |

Why didn’t he go with “Ron” and “Mexico”?

• The Jeff | September 9, 2009 at 9:00 am |

I’m just going to blame it on inconsistent naming of colors.

The Ti-Cats “yellow” on those throwbacks is a far cry from the Oregon Ducks “yellow”.

That “yellow” looks like light orange. What I’d call yellow is usually called “gold”, and what I’d consider gold is usually labeled as “vegas gold” or “metallic gold” or something.

*shrug*

…and regardless of being a true throwback or not, it looks better with a black mask. Old helmets only had gray because it was the only color available at the time. Gray masks don’t look good on most teams. There’s a reason why nearly everyone switched to using colors by the end of the 70’s. If there’s one part of a throwback uniform that I don’t mind being wrong, it’s the facemask.

• Ry Co 40 | September 9, 2009 at 9:11 am |

[quote comment=”346591″]Picture of Nikolai Khabibulin’s new mask:

The mask shows an eagle holding Grant Fuhr’s mask in its claws.[/quote]

shout out to belfour and fuhr?

• Dane | September 9, 2009 at 9:16 am |

The mask shows an eagle holding Grant Fuhr’s mask in its claws.[/quote]

shout out to belfour and fuhr?[/quote]

He’s had the eagle on the mask for a while, so I don’t know if it’s for Eddie or some other reason.

• Oakville Endive | September 9, 2009 at 9:20 am |

[quote comment=”346589″][quote comment=”346580″]Am I really that color blind or does the Tiger-Cats “yellow” look a lot more like orange?[/quote]
    It definitely looked yellow on TV, and apparently in person as well. Maybe I’m biased as a Ticat fan (and because we demolished the Argos) but that game was one of the best looking CFL games I’ve seen in awhile.[/quote]

Made this point on Sunday night , but most of the CFL retro uniforms are putting to shame the current batch of montrosities. Particular beauts are: Montreal Alouettes and Saskatchewan RR (this Sunday’s)

• Cfoote | September 9, 2009 at 9:21 am |

I love those Argos uni’s. I’m glad they even used the throwback sponsors. That helmet is beautiful.

• Peter | September 9, 2009 at 9:21 am |

There’s nothing like old time hockey…

can’t wait to get out of anklebender…(and yes, at my age…over half the league is older than me so I don’t feel so bad)…

Love the Quebec Aces sweater

• glen | September 9, 2009 at 9:22 am |

[quote comment=”346584″]From Miller Park yesterday …

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Hilarious!

• Ry Co 40 | September 9, 2009 at 9:24 am |

[quote comment=”346595″][quote comment=”346594″][quote comment=”346591″]Picture of Nikolai Khabibulin’s new mask:

The mask shows an eagle holding Grant Fuhr’s mask in its claws.[/quote]

shout out to belfour and fuhr?[/quote]

hmmm… interesting. either way, the detail in the feathers on that eagle is pretty amazing! great mask!

• LI Phil | September 9, 2009 at 9:25 am |

[quote]There’s nothing like old time hockey…[/quote]

eddie shore?

• Steve Naismith | September 9, 2009 at 9:29 am |

“Anyone Who Posts ‘Wanna Get Away?’ or ‘Great Googly-Moogly’ in the Comments Gets Banned, No Exceptions”

How exactly do you ban someone from this site?

• Scott Davis | September 9, 2009 at 9:29 am |

Couldn’t have said it better myself….

• Hank | September 9, 2009 at 9:30 am |

Hockey video is pure gold.

• Hott Rodd | September 9, 2009 at 9:34 am |

[quote comment=”346602″]”Anyone Who Posts ‘Wanna Get Away?’ or ‘Great Googly-Moogly’ in the Comments Gets Banned, No Exceptions”

How exactly do you ban someone from this site?[/quote]

I’d imagine it has to do with IP logging, and comment suppression.

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 9:39 am |

[quote comment=”346603″]Terelle Pryor on Michael Vick: “Not everybody is a perfect person in the world. Everyone kills people, murder people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever.”

Couldn’t have said it better myself….[/quote]

Nothing like a good lowering of the standards for what’s acceptable human behavior is there.

• Namhob | September 9, 2009 at 9:39 am |

• Teebz | September 9, 2009 at 9:45 am |

[quote comment=”346604″]Hockey video is pure gold.[/quote]

I’ve emailed the National Film Board several times regarding the purchase of a number of their films and shorts. They’ve assured me that buying a DVD is a great way of keeping the memories alive, but I want to build my own DVD of only what I want.

Apparently, they don’t allow it. Jerks.

Anyway, that site is loaded with awesome stuff. Roch Carrier’s “Le Chandail” is on there (the story of the kid who was a Habs fan, but got a Maple Leafs sweater). The Cat Came Back, an Oscar-winning short created by Winnipeg’s own Cordell Barker, is also available for viewing.

• […] Uni Watch » Anyone Who Posts ‘Wanna Get Away?’ or ‘Great Googly-Moogly’ in the Comments Gets Banned, No http://www.uniwatchb... – view page – cached Anyone Who Posts ‘Wanna Get Away?’ or ‘Great Googly-Moogly’ in the Comments Gets Banned, No Exceptions — From the page […]

• Hott Rodd | September 9, 2009 at 9:50 am |

wait.. Uniwatch is on twitter? or?

• Teebz | September 9, 2009 at 9:53 am |

wait.. Uniwatch is on twitter? or?[/quote]

• M.Princip | September 9, 2009 at 9:54 am |

On that 1953 Hockey video, I love that; “Well padded from injuries too……” Uh yea, with the exception of their heads/Goalie’s face. lol ………Old school idiocy. Right up there with the mentality that only whimps take water breaks.

• War Damn Eagle | September 9, 2009 at 9:57 am |

Did the umpires do their own shout-out to Labor Day by wearing the Stars & Stripes caps? Maybe they didn’t realize it’s only for Memorial Day, Fourth of July and September 11.

• Neil | September 9, 2009 at 10:00 am |

Back in the late 70s early 80s when I was at hockey camp, I recall them showing a movie called “Hockey: Where the Action Is.” I would love to get my hands on a copy of it. Anyone know of it?

• leon | September 9, 2009 at 10:02 am |

these guys as history’s worst-dressed chain gang

even worse than these?

• Ryan | September 9, 2009 at 10:07 am |

When I emailed this to Paul, I said that either nobody else noticed this auction and I got lucky, or I’m the idiot and bought a piece of worthless junk. Any ideas if I got a nice find here? What ‘should’ it have been worth? Curious to hear you guys’ thoughts.

• Ryan | September 9, 2009 at 10:09 am |

Whoa, looks like someone got a bargain (nice find by Ryan Perkins).

• JTH | September 9, 2009 at 10:12 am |

[quote comment=”346617″]Sorry, I screwed up comment #37, but I was referring to this ebay auction helmet mention…and I won’t try to italicize it this time:

Whoa, looks like someone got a bargain (nice find by Ryan Perkins).[/quote]
    Dude, I would have paid $20 just for the facemask.

• Hott Rodd | September 9, 2009 at 10:13 am |

[quote comment=”346611″][quote comment=”346610″][quote comment=”346609″][…] Uni Watch » Anyone Who Posts ‘Wanna Get Away?’ or ‘Great Googly-Moogly’ in the Comments Gets Banned, No http://www.uniwatchb... – view page – cached Anyone Who Posts ‘Wanna Get Away?’ or ‘Great Googly-Moogly’ in the Comments Gets Banned, No Exceptions — From the page […][/quote]

wait.. Uniwatch is on twitter? or?[/quote]

It’s a trackback from a link made on Twitter. UW detects who has linked to it. It’s a tool that allows people to see who/where the article is being hyperlinked from.[/quote]

oh, ok, that makes sense. i understand the concept of trackbacks, but not the specifics, and since my blog died in flames is on hiatus because my life is so crazy right now, I don’t get much chance to learn more.

• Hott Rodd | September 9, 2009 at 10:14 am |

grrr screwed up the strikethru

• leon | September 9, 2009 at 10:18 am |
  • Justin | September 9, 2009 at 10:20 am |

[quote comment=”346592″][quote comment=”346583″]It was “Mika” & “Vick”. Mika is his sisters name. Vick is for the felon. And from his quotes, I think Terrelle has a 2 cent brain.[/quote]

Why didn’t he go with “Ron” and “Mexico”?[/quote]

Speaking of Senor Mexico: http://www.hoosfootb...

And yes, I’m pimping my own site, hopefully it’s ok since Paul mentioned it in the News Ticker this morning.

• Squiddie | September 9, 2009 at 10:25 am |

• Teebz | September 9, 2009 at 10:28 am |

[quote comment=”346623″]For some reason, I can never get the NFB videos to play. The little arrow just spins and spins. Might be a Mac thing.

However, if it works for you, I do recommend The Sweater/Le chandail (Teebz mentioned this) and Log Driver’s Waltz[/quote]

It takes a while for some of the videos to load. I can get it to work in Firefox, so it should work elsewhere.

Log Driver’s Waltz is a beauty. Good call, Squiddie!

• Jeff | September 9, 2009 at 10:29 am |

One would think a town with the Sodfather would have good turf across all stadia.

• DJ | September 9, 2009 at 10:45 am |

• Hodges14 (formerly Alex) | September 9, 2009 at 10:46 am |

This whole post looks like it belong on failblog, so why, Paul didn’t you appropriately title it Sports Fails? because of all the failures. And why can’t we say the two phrases mentioned in the title? I don’t see how it could possibly be that bad.

Finally, to appropriately summarize how I feel about today’s post in a football manner:

• Juke Early | September 9, 2009 at 10:47 am |

Huge kudos for those SFO pics—nothing short of amazing. I swear I am not being sarcastic when I say—looks like Mitchell & Ness went to town. . .. even if they did, what an exhibit. Triple platinum all the way.

• RS Rogers | September 9, 2009 at 10:53 am |

Thanks for the link to the SFO PCL exhibit pix. I love local old-time baseball exhibits — there’s a great one at Veteran’s Field in Cedar Rapids, Iowa — and I love the PCL, so this was a make-my-day kind of link. And while I hate to be notstalgic — that’s nostalgia for something you weren’t actually around to experience — that Oaks uniform is one of my favorites of all time. With slight modification, the A’s ought to wear something like that today.

As for the umps, they’re union members and it was Labor Day, plus the caps are “patriotic” and it was a national holiday. So it was absolutely appropriate for them to wear the caps, even if players won’t be wearing them again until the not-actually-a-national-holiday observance on Friday.

• Bruce | September 9, 2009 at 10:59 am |

LOVE the hockey film! Check out the Howdy Doody earmuffs @ 1:29. Thanks Paul.

• Fappy McFapper | September 9, 2009 at 11:03 am |

• anotherguy | September 9, 2009 at 11:13 am |

Okay, I’ll play this silly game: WHY?

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 11:15 am |

[quote comment=”346632″]Washington States new uniforms. You’ve got to be fucking kidding me. I’m not referring to the actual design so much as the complete and utter supid retardability of the “shorts” those guys are wearing. It goes way beyond making all the dudes look stumpy, it’s just a stupid thing to have shorts be that long.[/quote]

Seriously, someone photoshop one of those figures, turn it into a silhouette, add cowboy boots and you have, precisely, the silhouette of Dale Evans in a Roy Rogers movie.

“Let’s all cheer for the Cowgirls!!!”

(I’d have said “Cougar Cowgirls” but that’s a different concept altogether).

• anotherguy | September 9, 2009 at 11:15 am |

[quote comment=”346627″]U2 is at Soldier Field this weekend. They may have been indifferent to keeping things up of late because they will probably re-sod after U2 leaves.[/quote]Or because a Daley relative has the re-sodding contract.

Or because they’ve figured out a way to stuff this expense into the Olympics budget.

• anotherguy | September 9, 2009 at 11:18 am |

[quote comment=”346608″]

Apparently, they don’t allow it. Jerks.[/quote]

What???

A government bureaucracy is inefficient, indifferent and unresponsive? Pshaw.

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 11:21 am |

[quote comment=”346633″][quote comment=”346607″]The umps were wearing red caps because of Labor Day. It’s the same thing they did for Memorial Day back in May. http://kaybee.mlblog...
    Okay, I’ll play this silly game: WHY?

Memorial Day is designated as a day to remember those who gave their lives in the service. How is Labor Day supposedly equivilent?[/quote]

It’s not. And the red hats have nothing to with Labor Day.

Unless…

…maybe they’re a buncha pinko commonist red menace bullshviks advocatin’ that-there “workers of the world unite” stuff.

Come to think on it, them umpires IS union members, ain’t they…

This needs investigatin’.

• ewc | September 9, 2009 at 11:23 am |

Does this count as being uniform related? Does it really matter?

• Paul Lukas | September 9, 2009 at 11:23 am |

• Shaggy | September 9, 2009 at 11:24 am |

• Paul Lukas | September 9, 2009 at 11:25 am |

Okay, I’ll play this silly game: WHY?

See “Labor movement, American.”

You’ll find a few people gave their lives for that, too. Equivalent? Not really — apples and oranges, I’d say. But important? Very.

• JohnnyO | September 9, 2009 at 11:27 am |

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 11:27 am |

[quote comment=”346640″]Wow. My old high school, Niles North in Skokie, Illinois wears Nike Football Uniforms, now. Wow.

And yet…the loops aren’t truncated.
    Good for them.

• Paul Lukas | September 9, 2009 at 11:28 am |

Today’s ESPN column is up:

• anotherguy | September 9, 2009 at 11:29 am |

In that case, stop right there.

Tell the umps to find ANOTHER way to honor the people who have given their lives to advance the American Labor Movement.

• Peter | September 9, 2009 at 11:30 am |

[quote comment=”346639″][quote comment=”346628″]why can’t we say the two phrases mentioned in the title?[/quote]

Because you should be able to come up with more constructive things to say other than (a) the most lazy-ass obvious thing, and (b) quoting a commercial.[/quote]

I thought you were referring to Kerry Rhodes using twitter to say shit like “Jets fans are in for a big surprise”, “big surprise @ 1pm”…and then this was the anouncement…

• JTH | September 9, 2009 at 11:30 am |

They had the wordmarks rather than the slashes during preseason, no? I thought I saw them.

• anotherguy | September 9, 2009 at 11:31 am |

[quote comment=”346637″]
    It’s not. And the red hats have nothing to with Labor Day.[/quote]
    Okay Ricko: I spent most of Labor Day on top of a garage roof or up on a ladder (long story) so I didn’t get the chance to watch sports of any kind.

• anotherguy | September 9, 2009 at 11:34 am |

[quote comment=”346642″]As you all know Curly Lambeau came from Notre Dame…[/quote]Well, I didn’t know that.

But as a Bears fan I didn’t like Green Bay before this-so that little factoid is just icing on the cake for me.

:-)

• Noelski y que! | September 9, 2009 at 11:36 am |

hockey video made my morning!

• home team | September 9, 2009 at 11:36 am |

Those that can’t… critique. Snooozzzzzzz

• leon | September 9, 2009 at 11:40 am |

If the players like less paint in the endzone, why not do away with all endzone markings? If there are some out there watching who can’t figure out where the endzone is, make the grass darker or mow it differently or do whatever mlb lawn guys do to make all those designs. (And, yes, I’m aware that growing grass in Green Bay in the winter is difficult).

• anotherguy | September 9, 2009 at 11:41 am |

[quote comment=”346647″]And do it for the cow pasture mentioned in the lead entry today.[/quote]

I don’t have a scientific explanation for any of this: but the I think a lot of the reason we suddenly have “cow pastures” these days is the proliferation of corporate suites, leading to higher stadia and therefore less sunlight for these natural surfaces.

Of course you have to add in the longer playing seasons too.

• anotherguy | September 9, 2009 at 11:42 am |

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 11:46 am |

[quote comment=”346648″][quote comment=”346637″]
    It’s not. And the red hats have nothing to with Labor Day.[/quote]

Can you help me out with a rational explanation? Were there red hats, and if so-what were they meant to symbolize?[/quote]

That’s why I kidded about, “Damn, Bubba, them umps is commonists!!! Wake up Jayedgar Hoover!!!”

• anotherguy | September 9, 2009 at 11:49 am |

[quote comment=”346655″]
    Someone else will have to answer. I watched only a bit of baseball that day and didn’t notice them. I’d imagine that if they did wear them, it was their salute to labor.[/quote]
    Okay, thanks.

I think my sense of humor is a bit off today. Either that, or I just can’t get back into the rhythm of Uniwatchblog since the downtime.

• anotherguy | September 9, 2009 at 11:51 am |

• JTH | September 9, 2009 at 11:53 am |

[quote comment=”346644″]Today’s ESPN column is up:
    What? No at-a-glance schedule for alts/throwbacks? How disappointing.

Kidding… With all the AFL hullabaloo and the various other alts/throwbacks being worn this year you’d probably need to employ a full-time research staff to compile something like that this year.

• leon | September 9, 2009 at 11:55 am |

[quote comment=”346654″][quote comment=”346652″]If the players like less paint in the endzone, why not do away with all endzone markings? [/quote]
    Leon, been waiting to catch you on the board: you listed out some names for the S-100 helmets last week. Did you mention Max Headroom?[/quote]

Who’s he play for? :)

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 11:55 am |

The early days of helmet decals. Weren’t so reliable (translation: Highly peel-able).
    Note the two players dead center. Maryland player apparently lost his right side helmet logo. Virginia player wearing helmet with exterior padding that probably didn’t provide a flat enough surface for a decal.

• Gusto44 | September 9, 2009 at 11:55 am |

[quote comment=”346644″]Today’s ESPN column is up:

Hey Paul, are the Steelers going to be wearing their sharp throwback uniforms again this season?I
    think an all white road version would be great as well.

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 11:58 am |

—Ricko[/quote]

• leon | September 9, 2009 at 12:00 pm |

Today’s ESPN column is up:

IMHO, the following 50 year patches are excellent; the others, not so much:
    Bills
    Chiefs
    Pats
    Oilers

The common thread here is the inclusion of their back-in-the-day logo. I guess that appeals to me as someone old enough to remember watching them on NBC with Chris Schenkel (or was it Curt Gowdy?) and “DeRo”.

And the Chiefs get extra credit for using lots of shiny gold thread in their patch.

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 12:02 pm |

Although…
    the nose bumper and wristbands would indicate later.

• Peter | September 9, 2009 at 12:05 pm |

…he does, he has us…

• JTH | September 9, 2009 at 12:06 pm |

[quote comment=”346660″]http://www.hoosfootball.com/images/1969_UVA_MD_pic6_resized.jpg[/quote]

[/quote]
    Yep. You just can’t beat today’s space-age polymers.

• leon | September 9, 2009 at 12:08 pm |

Ask and ye shall receive. (scroll down to UMd)

• JTH | September 9, 2009 at 12:08 pm |

[quote comment=”346665″][/quote] With all the AFL hullabaloo and the various other alts/throwbacks being worn this year you’d probably need to employ a full-time research staff to compile something like that this year.[/quote]

…he does, he has us…[/quote]
    OK, here’s my contribution:

Bears – orange alternate jerseys – November 1 vs. Browns

• JohnnyO | September 9, 2009 at 12:08 pm |

[quote comment=”346647″][quote comment=”346642″]According to sources, The Packers are returning to having “Green Bay” and “Packers” in the end zones this year after having a two year hiatus. The Pack started using slanted white lines in the end zones in 2007 as Lambeau Field was celebrating their 50 year anniversary. (As you all know Curly Lambeau came from Notre Dame, and the Fighting Irish use those in their end zones) Evidently the players loved the slash marks because they could make quick turns on the non-painted parts. With the word marks, there was a lot more paint, and make it a little slicker. Well, according to a fan survey, the fans (not including me) wanted “Green Bay” and “Packers” back in the end zones. The sources say it is going to happen despite players, coaches, and upper management like the slashes better. I can’t imagine they would go back to the word marks if the players don’t like them, but I guess that is what you get when the team is not owned by anyone but fans. We will have to wait until Sunday night to see what the final decision is.[/quote]

I’m with you. Bring back the slashes. And do it for the cow pasture mentioned in the lead entry today.[/quote]

They actually had the “Green Bay” and “Packers” in the end zones for the pre-season as “skeleton outlines”.

And to Leon… if I can remember correctly, it takes about 60,000 gallons of paint to make Lambeau look green in the winter months, however I think that has all changed because since 2007 the Pack have infused their turf with some synthetic materials, and the field you see at Lambeau today is the same turf you have seen since 2007 other than a few patch jobs here and there. Lambeau also has about 30 miles of piping under the turf to keep the Frozen Tundra from being frozen.

The Pack had this type of surface installed in their practice field in 2005 and loved it so much so they installed it into the main field. What this turf does is replace the clay-base sod most NFL teams have to a sand-based surface. Because a sand-based root zone has less stability, the system employs the use of millions of strands of polyethylene and polypropylene materials eight inches below the surface with one inch exposed on the top. This gives the field firm footing and eliminates clumps of sod tearing from the surface. Furthermore, even after a full season’s wear late in the year, the footing remains excellent due to the soil-strengthening strands.

This stuff really fascinates me. I believe the Eagles and Steelers have this type of turf on their feilds, but I don’t know if they have the same heating system the Pack do.

• Justin | September 9, 2009 at 12:10 pm |

[quote comment=”346664″]Although…
    the nose bumper and wristbands would indicate later.

—Ricko[/quote]

I think Maryland wore the red helmets in 1967: http://www.hoosfootb...

• JTH | September 9, 2009 at 12:11 pm |

Damn those unbalanced quote tags. Lemme try that again…

[quote comment=”346668″][quote comment=”346665″]With all the AFL hullabaloo and the various other alts/throwbacks being worn this year you’d probably need to employ a full-time research staff to compile something like that this year.[/quote]

…he does, he has us…[/quote]
    OK, here’s my contribution:

Bears – orange alternate jerseys – November 1 vs. Browns

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 12:14 pm |

Ask and ye shall receive. (scroll down to UMd)

Ah, red helmets in late 60s. I was in college. Had other things on my mind. Mostly, I heard there was a sexual revolution starting up and spent a lot of time looking for rebel headquarters.

• Justin | September 9, 2009 at 12:15 pm |

[quote comment=”346662″][quote comment=”346660″][quote comment=”346657″]From the U Va site in today’s main post: how about that Maryland logo in the late 1960’s??? :-)

—Ricko[/quote]

Oh, and that’s probably from ’60 or ’61 (Riddells with the underarch Snug-Fit were introduced in ’60, and by ’62 (maybe even ’61) Maryland had gone to white helmets.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure that photo is from the 1969 UVA-Maryland game.

• muddlehead | September 9, 2009 at 12:16 pm |

• Justin | September 9, 2009 at 12:18 pm |

This is the Maryland helmet that I love – the decal on the side is a turtle. Unfortunately, this is the best photo I’ve been able to find: http://www.hoosfootb...

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 12:21 pm |

[quote comment=”346674″]groovy hockey film. morris richard. gordon howe. ok. “giant” jean beliveau at 6 ft 2 200 lbs.[/quote]

Keith’s brother?

• leon | September 9, 2009 at 12:23 pm |

JohnnyO
    I’m hip to the use of paint-even in the temperate climate of DC, Fed Ex Field is substantially painted by December. I wasn’t aware of the system at Lambeau. Does it preclude the need to mow? My only point was that if players performance can be improved by eliminating paint wherever possible, why not do it?

• Gusto44 | September 9, 2009 at 12:26 pm |

Ask and ye shall receive. (scroll down to UMd)

—Ricko[/quote]

• Joe D | September 9, 2009 at 12:26 pm |

• Josh | September 9, 2009 at 12:27 pm |

nothing to do eith unis (im sorry!) but just had to share this video of one of the sickest dunks ive ever seen.

• Oakville Endive | September 9, 2009 at 12:27 pm |

Two questions

1. What retro NFL uniform our readers most looking forward to seeing in action? I have to believe it’s Denver’s home uni – yes brown and yellow can never be made to look good together – but this is such a unique look – I suspect there is a lot of curiousity

2. What are the odds on each team adopting their retro look on a full time basis:

a. Buffalo – High – maybe 60%?
    b. San Diego – 25% chance? – although somewhat already adopted
    c. NY Jets – 25% chance?
    d. Tennessee – 15%?
    e. New England – 10%?

I would 0% for KC, Denver and Oakland – does that look like the right order?

• Josh | September 9, 2009 at 12:27 pm |

nothing to do *with* sorry i forgot how to type.

• Oakville Endive | September 9, 2009 at 12:29 pm |

Sorry – I had a typo with last post – I wasn’t staking claim to the readers – “our readers” – it should be uniwatch readers . My apologies

• Josh | September 9, 2009 at 12:33 pm |

also, a high school football team we always beat has changes their uniforms to match gerogia tech’s uniforms

• leon | September 9, 2009 at 12:34 pm |

might have looked a little like this:

• JohnnyO | September 9, 2009 at 12:37 pm |

[quote comment=”346677″]JohnnyO

And correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t there a field condition problem at Heinz Field last year?[/quote]

I would imagine the field gets mowed every day, or every other day, so I don’t think the synthetic fibers really hinder the process of mowing since it is weaved into the real grass, and the real grass is a lot more abundant than the synthetic. The process of installing the turf was pretty cool too. Once the field is stripped down, the first layer is clay-base with drain tile and irrigation piping (so they didn’t get rid of all the clay-base materials). The second level consists of 4 inches of gravel with miles of tubing for the new heating system that was installed. Then, 12 inches of sand was put down. And, finally, the new sod was put in followed by the man-made reinforcing fibers.

And I agree with you Leon. If the players like it so much, why not eliminate as much paint as possible? The only reason I can think of is because the owners of the Packers are fans, and might have a final say, but I don’t know for sure. It will be interesting to see what gets installed this Sunday.

Pittsburgh did indeed have a lot of turf problems last year, but like I stated, I don’t know if they have the intricate heating system the Packers do, so therefore their turf would freeze and be more easily torn up even with the synthetic fibers.
    ________________________________________

Paul,
    The Packers have a 90th Anniversary logo this year:

It can be found on many promotional items at Lambeau, and in their Packers Pro Shop. I personally don’t think it is going to be on the jersey, however, it is being made into a patch since I was able to get one a few weeks back.

Here is a picture of the actual patch:

• The Jeff | September 9, 2009 at 12:40 pm |

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 12:41 pm |

Ask and ye shall receive. (scroll down to UMd)

—Ricko[/quote]

Ah yes, the era of “free love”, glad you were able to escape the clutches of the Manson family. Too bad none of the sports teams of that era adopted the tie dyed look on their unis. Had arena football been around back then, they would have capitalized on that. The San Francisco Hippies, LOL[/quote]

Click “view this issue”, scroll to thumbnail page 56-57

• LI Phil | September 9, 2009 at 12:45 pm |

[quote]wasn’t there a field condition problem at Heinz Field last year?[/quote]

isn’t it like every year?

think it’s due to HS, college & pro teams all using the field, no?

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 12:46 pm |

might have looked a little like this:

Did Nets have a sorta tie-dyed look one season?

• Peter | September 9, 2009 at 12:52 pm |

[quote comment=”346688″]Considering there was an Arena team that wore something resembling zebra striped pants… I’m kinda surprised that a tie-dyed jersey didn’t show up at some point.[/quote]

Cin. Jungle Kats

(I thought we touched on this way way back)

• anotherguy | September 9, 2009 at 12:52 pm |

[quote comment=”346687″]
    I would imagine the field gets mowed every day, or every other day, so I don’t think the synthetic fibers really hinder the process of mowing since it is weaved into the real grass, and the real grass is a lot more abundant than the synthetic.[/quote]

I just learned about the synthetic fibers from this website: apparently they expose about 2cm above the surface so any mowing above that level should leave the synthetic fibers undisturbed.

System seems to be used in Denver and Philly, among other stadiums.

• JTH | September 9, 2009 at 12:53 pm |

[quote comment=”346689″][quote comment=”346678″][quote comment=”346672″][quote comment=”346667″]I don’t know, did Maryland try red helmets for a season or two in late 60’s or 70’s?

Ask and ye shall receive. (scroll down to UMd)

—Ricko[/quote]

Click “view this issue”, scroll to thumbnail page 56-57

—Ricko[/quote]
    And then if you go to the next page, you get to see one of those Tareyton cigarette ads that used to creep me out when I was a kid. I never understood that the makeup was supposed to be a black eye that the model got from fighting.

They gave me the heebie-jeebies something fierce.

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 12:53 pm |

isn’t it like every year?

think it’s due to HS, college & pro teams all using the field, no?[/quote]

“Three Degrees of XFL”:

1. Chewed up turf, Heinz Field.
    2. Tommy Maddox at QB for Steelers.
    3. Maddox on sidelines for LA Extreme in XFL playoffs, after another missed field goal by his team: “If he can’t MAKE it, let’s don’t KICK it.”
    (One of the all-time great pearls of football wisdom, I think.)

• Hott Rodd | September 9, 2009 at 12:54 pm |

isn’t it like every year?

think it’s due to HS, college & pro teams all using the field, no?[/quote]

That’s how I understand it. Most memorably the Dolphins @ Pittsburgh monday night game 2 seasons ago where the field was ridiculously bad.

• phillydevil | September 9, 2009 at 1:01 pm |

Good shot of Arizona State’s new look.

The overall look was much better on the field than in the pre-season media photos. The black outline around the numbers was invisible, and the new pants (with a thin maroon stripe angled from front to back) are OK. I like the interlocking AS logo on the pants.

Not my favorite Sun Devil uniform of all-time, but could have been a lot worse.

• Peter | September 9, 2009 at 1:01 pm |

[quote comment=”346691″][quote comment=”346685″]Too bad none of the sports teams of that era adopted the tie dyed look on their unis.

might have looked a little like this:

Did Nets have a sorta tie-dyed look one season?[/quote]

I thought it was the Lithuanian National basketball team

Granted, they play at the same level of the Nets

• The Jeff | September 9, 2009 at 1:02 pm |

Cin. Jungle Kats

(I thought we touched on this way way back)[/quote]

I haven’t been here that long, so…um, sorry.

and I was referring to the New Orleans Night:

• The Jeff | September 9, 2009 at 1:03 pm |

..bah, make that Tampa Bay Storm for that picture…

The Night did it too.

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 1:04 pm |

Cin. Jungle Kats

(I thought we touched on this way way back)[/quote]

I haven’t been here that long, so…um, sorry.

and I was referring to the New Orleans Night:

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 1:07 pm |

[quote comment=”346700″]..bah, make that Tampa Bay Storm for that picture…

The Night did it too.[/quote]

Found this…

• leon | September 9, 2009 at 1:07 pm |

and I was referring to the New Orleans Night:

No-that was their name-really?

but I’d call that zubaz-mania rather than tie-dye.

(the night? really?)

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 1:09 pm |

New York Nets tie-dyed.
    From this…

• JimV19 | September 9, 2009 at 1:11 pm |

Darn, you beat me to it! Good catch.

• Graf Zeppelin | September 9, 2009 at 1:12 pm |

OMG those Falcons throwbacks are AWESOME. I hadn’t seen those before. Bring that back!!!

Neither had I seen the Jets (Titans) road throwback. Those look pretty good as well.

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 1:14 pm |

[quote comment=”346705″][quote comment=”346679″]Speaking of the CFL, the Soldier Field logo placement 5 yards off of the 50-yard line reminds me of a Canadian 110-yard field with the logo on the 55. So I guess the Bears really are going to open up their offense this year.[/quote]

Darn, you beat me to it! Good catch.

And Phil, yes Heinz Field is used by college and high school. They have playoff games there, and they’ll play something like four games in one day. The field gets so chewed up it’s awesome. That’s football.[/quote]

Also what happens when public money’s involved. They actually expect to USE the stadium. LOL

• JohnnyO | September 9, 2009 at 1:16 pm |

isn’t it like every year?

think it’s due to HS, college & pro teams all using the field, no?[/quote]

• anotherguy | September 9, 2009 at 1:17 pm |

[quote comment=”346699″]
    and I was referring to the New Orleans Night[/quote]

Obviously, the people that named their team the Nawlins Night aren’t using the same marketing model as the people who chose to use the New Orleans Saints.

:-)

• anotherguy | September 9, 2009 at 1:19 pm |

[quote comment=”346708″]The only time that turf sees action is 10 times a year.[/quote]
    Remember that scene from Animal House?

I think there may be more action than you admit…

• another Josh | September 9, 2009 at 1:22 pm |

• anotherguy | September 9, 2009 at 1:22 pm |

[quote comment=”346707″]Also what happens when public money’s involved. They actually expect to USE the stadium.[/quote]

Doesn’t speak to the late-season HS and college (American) football games, but the stadium used by the Chicago Fire has a flooring system that they use for concerts: apparently cuts way down on damage to their natural surface.

• leon | September 9, 2009 at 1:31 pm |

So Ginsburg gets credit for the collar?

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 1:35 pm |

So Ginsburg gets credit for the collar?[/quote]

“Starsky and Ginsberg”? I loved that show.

• leon | September 9, 2009 at 1:40 pm |

[quote comment=”346714″][quote comment=”346713″][quote comment=”346711″]You mentioned how Justice Sotomayor wore a lace jabot like previous women on the Supreme Court. Apparently, the lace was a gift from Justice Ginsburg.

So Ginsburg gets credit for the collar?[/quote]

“Starsky and Ginsberg”? I loved that show.[/quote]

Or was it Ginsberg and (ahem) Lace-y?

• Paul Lukas | September 9, 2009 at 1:41 pm |

Ah, “jabot” — I knew there must be a term for it, but I couldn’t figure out what it was. Thank you!!

Details:

• Adam | September 9, 2009 at 1:44 pm |

[quote comment=”346644″]Today’s ESPN column is up:

• Peter | September 9, 2009 at 1:46 pm |

[quote comment=”346717″][quote comment=”346644″]Today’s ESPN column is up:

Were the Bengals purposely omitted from the ESPN article? I didn’t see mention of them in the team-by-team preview. Always enjoyable to see what is said about horrendous uniforms with random placed name plates and inexplicable white stripes.[/quote]

[Sarcasm]Paul only recognizes ACTUAL NFL Teams[Sarcasm]

• Marty Buccafusco | September 9, 2009 at 1:49 pm |

Hey gang,
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I’ve been away from UW for a couple weeks while this has been happening.
    So after watching the first few episodes of HBO’s Hard Knocks, I noticed that the NFL shield on the players’ caps and practice jerseys is blacked out – usually with permanent marker it seems. Any idea why?

-martyB

• Ry Co 40 | September 9, 2009 at 1:49 pm |

[quote comment=”346708″][quote comment=”346690″][quote]wasn’t there a field condition problem at Heinz Field last year?[/quote]

isn’t it like every year?

think it’s due to HS, college & pro teams all using the field, no?[/quote]

Good call Phil. That could be the culprit of the problem. NO ONE besides the Packers play at Lambeau Field. They have three practice fields across the street, so they don’t ever practice at Lambeau. The only time that turf sees action is 10 times a year. (or a few more if they host playoff games)[/quote]

first off, there were no major turf problems at heinz field last season. that was 2 seasons ago. second, the steelers have a practice facility too. and third (i think), the turf was replaced after the high school games last year. i could be wrong on that though

• Jeff P | September 9, 2009 at 1:52 pm |

[quote comment=”346719″]Hey gang,

-martyB[/quote]
    Licensing would be my guess.

• Adam | September 9, 2009 at 1:57 pm |

[quote comment=”346718″][quote comment=”346717″][quote comment=”346644″]Today’s ESPN column is up:

[Sarcasm]Paul only recognizes ACTUAL NFL Teams[Sarcasm][/quote]

Touche

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 2:02 pm |

Excellent ESPN column today, Paul.
    I don’t mention that often enough.

And, yes, that original Falcon set is one of the great, but often forgotten, unis of the NFL.
    (Although Georgia wearing black sort of did give us a look at it).

Easy to understand forgetting the Bengals, though. I mean, who walks in and says to a co-worker, yet again, “I see that rash of yours still hasn’t cleared up.” Better to just ignore it.

• LI Phil | September 9, 2009 at 2:09 pm |

So Ginsburg gets credit for the collar?[/quote]

she is a justice, after all

• JimV19 | September 9, 2009 at 2:11 pm |

I know players don’t want anyone grabbing their jerseys, but have you ever grabbed at one yourself? A few times when I did it felt as if my fingers were going to get pulled out of their sockets. I think most defenders have had the same experience, so the threat of being pulled down by the jersey seems overrated to me.

• Shaggy | September 9, 2009 at 2:13 pm |

Perhaps is the Colorado Buffaloes are going to wear those “Gold Throwbacks” https://www.nmnathle... this would be the date…

Legacy Day Football vs. Wyoming on Sept. 19

Join the University of Colorado in honoring the legacy of Byron “Whizzer” White, former CU football All-American and Supreme Court Justice next Saturday at 1:30 pm vs. Wyoming. The bookstore has limited edition Nike Throwback Gear, featuring a #24 gold jersey that is an updated replica of the uniform Byron White wore.

• Trurologist | September 9, 2009 at 2:13 pm |

Entire Canadian Hockey League unveiled their RBK EDGE uniforms today:

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 2:14 pm |

Add the sleeveless look to the painted-on unis, and it’s almost enough to make a good thing look bad.[/quote]

“Almost” enough?

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 2:16 pm |

Git ‘er done.

• pete goegan | September 9, 2009 at 2:19 pm |

• Gusto44 | September 9, 2009 at 2:21 pm |

[quote comment=”346723″]Excellent ESPN column today, Paul.
    I don’t mention that often enough.

(Although Georgia wearing black sort of did give us a look at it).

—Ricko[/quote]

I agree, the old Falcon uniform was better than today’s version. Hell, even the William Andrews era uniform was better. Washington is the only other NFC team that uses a red helmet, too. Never understood why Atlanta switched to a black helmet just because Jerry Glanville wanted to.

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 2:21 pm |

• pete goegan | September 9, 2009 at 2:27 pm |

[quote comment=”346631″]LOVE the hockey film! Check out the Howdy Doody earmuffs @ 1:29. Thanks Paul.[/quote]

Ah, I see you caught it, too! Funny how some images from the past just jump out!

• Oakville Endive | September 9, 2009 at 2:27 pm |

Yep – and what’s more baffling is – some of the players accompany these painted on jerseys with long flowing hair – just asking to be pulled. For a league thats uber-sensitive to image – if all teams were forced to wear proper sleeves, it would both look better, and even things out – I guess it would be difficult to enforce.

• JimV19 | September 9, 2009 at 2:28 pm |

[quote comment=”346729″]Git ‘er done.
    Great Ugly-Mugly, that’s quite the sloppy look…

• pete goegan | September 9, 2009 at 2:30 pm |

[quote comment=”346732″][quote comment=”346730″]Thanks for the great hockey film, Paul! Haven’t read all the comments, yet – did anyone notice the Howdy Doody earmuffs on the little kid in the beginning? I’d have killed for those in 1953![/quote]

There is absolutely nothing that is out of reach in today’s world! Thank for the find, Ricko! The bid is still low enough, but I’m not sure how my wife would feel about going out with me in those!

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 2:31 pm |

[quote comment=”346734″][quote comment=”346725″]Here’s my question: why do today’s uniforms have to practically be painted on? http://sports.espn.g...

For a league thats uber-sensitive to image – if all teams were forced to wear proper sleeves, it would both look better, and even things out – I guess it would be difficult to enforce.[/quote]

Amazing, isn’t it. White tape on black shoes would be ghastly, a disgrace to an NFL uniform. But, Hovan, he looks just fine, a credit to the game.

Actually the rule could be quite simple: “All shoulder pads and armpits must be completely covered by the player’s jersey and/or undersleeves.” And let the Uni Police go to work.

• Squiddie | September 9, 2009 at 2:31 pm |

As we say in the Midwest, that was interesting.

Liked those Soo Greyhounds sweaters.

• JimV19 | September 9, 2009 at 2:35 pm |

[quote comment=”346731″][quote comment=”346723″]
    When Glanville became head coach at Portland State a few years ago, he also switched their helmet to black from green.[/quote]

Jerry’s penchant for black reminds me of a mid-life-crisis sports car: classic overcompensation.

How many titles did Glanville win? Anywhere? The black was always about perceived toughness, but it never showed up in actual results.

After that comment, it should be no surprise that I like the William Andrews-era unis best, but the original Falcons looked good as well.

• Kaptain K | September 9, 2009 at 2:41 pm |

“Toromto”? Isn’t that the home of the Naple Leafs?

• Squiddie | September 9, 2009 at 2:45 pm |

Give it a try

(I only managed 9 out of 12)

• leon | September 9, 2009 at 2:51 pm |

Washington is the only other NFC team that uses a red helmet, too

burgundy, burgundy, burgundy!

• Paul Lukas | September 9, 2009 at 2:54 pm |

[quote comment=”346717″][quote comment=”346644″]Today’s ESPN column is up:

No changes = no mention.

• Dane | September 9, 2009 at 2:55 pm |

The Acadie-Bathurst Titan crest looks like a beer bottle label.

• Jeff P | September 9, 2009 at 3:01 pm |

[quote comment=”346738″][quote comment=”346727″]Entire Canadian Hockey League unveiled their RBK EDGE uniforms today:

As we say in the Midwest, that was interesting.

Liked those Soo Greyhounds sweaters.[/quote]
    Yeah, that’s a pretty one.

Lot of good unis. Quite a few horrible ones too, but that’s the way it goes.

• JTH | September 9, 2009 at 3:09 pm |

Give it a try

(I only managed 9 out of 12)[/quote]
    Well, you “only” managed to totally kick my ass.

• Teebz | September 9, 2009 at 3:18 pm |

Just so you know, I may be off the board for several years. I’m heading to Quebec to burn down the Rbk/CCM factory.

Thanks. If I get computer time in prison, I’ll stop by.

• LI Phil | September 9, 2009 at 3:20 pm |

because, im so in for that one

• Kerry P | September 9, 2009 at 3:32 pm |

[quote comment=”346701″][quote comment=”346699″][quote comment=\”346692\”][quote comment=\”346688\”]Considering there was an Arena team that wore something resembling zebra striped pants… I\’m kinda surprised that a tie-dyed jersey didn\’t show up at some point.[/quote]

Cin. Jungle Kats

(I thought we touched on this way way back)[/quote]

I haven’t been here that long, so…um, sorry.

and I was referring to the New Orleans Night:

That’s Tampa Bay Storm, isn’t it? But I think maybe New Orleans did the Zubaz thing, too.[/quote]
    Ahhh wonderful Zubaz.

• Paul Lukas | September 9, 2009 at 3:34 pm |

because, im so in for that one[/quote]

No need for it, cuz there’s no minimum order on the ’cos hose — you can just call the team shop and order up a pair for yourself.

Of course, maybe we could get a volume discount from Reebok…….

• Teebz | September 9, 2009 at 3:36 pm |

because, im so in for that one[/quote]

Of course, maybe we could get a volume discount from Reebok…….[/quote]

Not if I burn all the factories down.

• Hott Rodd | September 9, 2009 at 3:46 pm |

because, im so in for that one[/quote]

ditto!

• James Craven | September 9, 2009 at 4:00 pm |

Does this mean the Broncos will be the new Oompa Loompas? Anywho, from NFL.com, the schedule of Legacy uni Games:

Monday, Sept. 14 Buffalo Bills at New England Patriots (Boston Patriots) ESPN 7 p.m.
    Monday, Sept. 14 San Diego Chargers at Oakland Raiders ESPN 10:15 p.m.
    Sunday, Sept. 27 Tennessee Titans (Houston Oilers) at New York Jets (Titans of New York) CBS 1 p.m.
    Sunday, Oct. 11 Dallas Cowboys at Kansas City Chiefs (Dallas Texans) FOX 1 p.m.
    Sunday, Oct. 11 New England Patriots (Boston Patriots) at Denver Broncos CBS 4:15 p.m.
    Sunday, Oct. 18 Tennessee Titans (Houston Oilers) at New England Patriots (Boston Patriots) CBS 4:15 p.m.
    Monday, Oct. 19 Denver Broncos at San Diego Chargers ESPN 8:30 p.m.
    Sunday, Oct. 25 San Diego Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs (Dallas Texans) CBS 1 p.m.
    Sunday, Oct. 25 New York Jets (Titans of New York) at Oakland Raiders CBS 4:05 p.m.
    Sunday, Nov. 1 Miami Dolphins at New York Jets (Titans of New York) CBS 1 p.m.
    Sunday, Nov. 15 Buffalo Bills at Tennessee Titans (Houston Oilers) CBS 1 p.m.
    Sunday, Nov. 15 Kansas City Chiefs (Dallas Texans) at Oakland Raiders CBS 4:05 p.m.
    Thursday, Nov. 26 Oakland Raiders at Dallas Cowboys CBS 4:15 p.m.
    Sunday, Nov. 29 Miami Dolphins at Buffalo Bills CBS 1 p.m.
    Sunday, Dec. 6 New England Patriots (Boston Patriots) at Miami Dolphins NBC 8:20 p.m.

• Adrian Brashier | September 9, 2009 at 4:04 pm |

[quote comment=\”346675\”]This is the Maryland helmet that I love – the decal on the side is a turtle. Unfortunately, this is the best photo I\’ve been able to find: http://www.hoosfootb...

Turtle
    red helmet

• Adrian Brashier | September 9, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  • Adrian Brashier | September 9, 2009 at 4:10 pm |

My apologies.

Turtle
    Red

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 4:21 pm |

[quote comment=”346752″][quote comment=”346748″]what are the chances paul or robert marshall will be setting up a “broncos vertically striped socks” club similar to the stirrup club?

because, im so in for that one[/quote]

ditto![/quote]

I’m in, too.

• bourbon soaked idiot | September 9, 2009 at 4:28 pm |

because, im so in for that one[/quote]

Of course, maybe we could get a volume discount from Reebok…….[/quote]

They’re not available at nflshop.com

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 4:28 pm |

This looks, to me, more like the real deal.
    With crew socks, that is.

I mean I DID actually see them wear them. On TV, that is. So I’ll have a different perspective.

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 4:32 pm |

because, im so in for that one[/quote]

Of course, maybe we could get a volume discount from Reebok…….[/quote]

They’re not available at nflshop.com[/quote]

Haven’t found them at the Broncos website, either.

• LI Phil | September 9, 2009 at 4:35 pm |

[quote comment=”346746″][quote comment=”346741″]Mental Floss has a quiz up for All-Time Hit Leaders of Teams that aren’t the Yankees. It’s fun plus some of the patches they use are a little different from the usual.

Give it a try

(I only managed 9 out of 12)[/quote]
    Well, you “only” managed to totally kick my ass.[/quote]

dammit…8/12

i can’t believe i missed seattle (actually missed the first three), but then rocked the rest of the way

good job lance!

• LI Phil | September 9, 2009 at 4:39 pm |

because, im so in for that one[/quote]

Of course, maybe we could get a volume discount from Reebok…….[/quote]

They’re not available at nflshop.com[/quote]

Haven’t found them at the Broncos website, either.[/quote]

did you guys read the sidebar in paul’s piece?

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 4:44 pm |

because, im so in for that one[/quote]

Of course, maybe we could get a volume discount from Reebok…….[/quote]

They’re not available at nflshop.com[/quote]

Haven’t found them at the Broncos website, either.[/quote]

did you guys read the sidebar in paul’s piece?[/quote]

• JTH | September 9, 2009 at 4:50 pm |

because, im so in for that one[/quote]

Of course, maybe we could get a volume discount from Reebok…….[/quote]

They’re not available at nflshop.com[/quote]

Haven’t found them at the Broncos website, either.[/quote]

did you guys read the sidebar in paul’s piece?[/quote]

Of course, just saying they don’t show at the website. So I suppose we call them.[/quote]
    Do what now? If it can’t be done via the WWW, it ain’t worth doing.

• JimV19 | September 9, 2009 at 4:53 pm |

[quote comment=”346751″][quote comment=”346750″][quote comment=”346748″]what are the chances paul or robert marshall will be setting up a “broncos vertically striped socks” club similar to the stirrup club?

because, im so in for that one[/quote]

Of course, maybe we could get a volume discount from Reebok…….[/quote]

Not if I burn all the factories down.[/quote]

I’m in too, so wait ’til we order our socks before you light the match…

• Paul Lukas | September 9, 2009 at 5:16 pm |

Whoa, look what’s leading Page 1:

That hasn’t happened very often.

• chance michaels | September 9, 2009 at 5:17 pm |

[quote comment=”346681″]Two questions

1. What retro NFL uniform our readers most looking forward to seeing in action?

I have to believe it’s Denver’s home uni – yes brown and yellow can never be made to look good together [/quote]

• chance michaels | September 9, 2009 at 5:20 pm |

[quote comment=”346645″][quote comment=”346641″] Equivalent? Not really — apples and oranges, I’d say. [/quote]
    In that case, stop right there.

I’m certain there we could find long list of days that the umps should be wearing some sort of “honor” ribbons, hats, armbands, etc. if we try. I’d say we need to draw the line somewhere.[/quote]
    Howsbout we start drawing that line by elimating the endless and silly shout-outs to “teh troops”?

There are other, far more meaningful, ways to honor our heroes than by bastardizing team uniforms. Then again, there’s nothing so American as the self-indulgent empty gesture.

• JohnnyO | September 9, 2009 at 5:21 pm |

[quote comment=”346767″]Whoa, look what’s leading Page 1:

That hasn’t happened very often.[/quote]

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 5:25 pm |

That hasn’t happened very often.[/quote]

Whoah nelly! That’s awesome. Maybe we can get some new followers with it leading like that. And by “we”, I mean you Paul =). Also, I am really biting my tongue at the dufus who commented in the comments section of your article who said that Uni Watch is a joke. If he doesn’t like it, then why did he read it?[/quote]

• James Craven | September 9, 2009 at 5:42 pm |

“There’s a new sci-fi novel in which almost every planet in the galaxy has a corporate sponsor…”

Paul, quite frankly I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that Charmin would be the perfect sponsor for Urainus.

You knew that was coming down Fifth Avenue with horns and sirens all around.

• Paul Lukas | September 9, 2009 at 5:48 pm |

That hasn’t happened very often.[/quote]

Some people know every new color avaiable from Honda this year, too. Are they a joke?[/quote]

Actually, yes, they are.

Look, there will always be people who don’t “get” Uni Watch, and that’s fine. And there will also always be a subset of those people who actually get angry about Uni Watch, because it challenges their sense of what should and shouldn’t be important in a way that they find threatening. And that’s also fine (if somewhat sad).

• leon | September 9, 2009 at 6:50 pm |

Any chance Todd Haley will wear a fedora, vest and sports coat during one of the throwbacks?

• leon | September 9, 2009 at 6:52 pm |

And carry a rolled-up program.

• Oakville Endive | September 9, 2009 at 8:00 pm |

[quote comment=”346768″][quote comment=”346681″]Two questions

1. What retro NFL uniform our readers most looking forward to seeing in action?

Bite your tongue. They’re a fantastic color combination that looks great together. It did in San Diego, it did and will in Denver.[/quote]

Personal taste is personal taste, but I think you’re the salmon going upstream on that one.

• Greg V. | September 9, 2009 at 8:01 pm |

• LI Phil | September 9, 2009 at 8:23 pm |

was it a full uni-mock? i remember someone remaking the logo using old school colors on the new logo

in one of my “city colors” pieces i did the unis up using the SD flag colors, but im pretty sure that’s not what you’re referring to

if not, any idea when it was posted or who posted it?

• interlockingtc | September 9, 2009 at 8:27 pm |

Beautiful when, in the hockey film, they show Jean Beliveau in slow motion without music or narration.

Of course, I was won over in the first 10 seconds with the theme music and graphic.

• Oakville Endive | September 9, 2009 at 9:05 pm |

[quote comment=”346778″][quote comment=”346776″]I did like the re-make somebody made of the current Padre uniform using Brown and Vegas Gold, that looked quite sharp.[/quote]

It was in one of weekend remakes – but it was the uniform – not just the logo

if not, any idea when it was posted or who posted it?[/quote]

• JTH | September 9, 2009 at 9:57 pm |

[quote comment=”346773″][quote comment=”346771″][quote comment=”346770″][quote comment=”346767″]Whoa, look what’s leading Page 1:

That hasn’t happened very often.[/quote]

Actually, yes, they are.

HOWEVER, I think the comment you were referring to was from someone who said he found the column “entertaining” but couldn’t believe writing about uniforms could be a full-time job. Well, he’s only a few years too late on the uptake there, but whaddaya gonna do.[/quote]
    Wait. So what does this all have to do with Melanie Oudin?

• ATLShaun | September 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |

is rafael furcal wearing stirrups? only saw a split second of him, couldnt tell for sure.

• JTH | September 9, 2009 at 10:23 pm |

[quote comment=”346777″]Anybody try to buy an NFL jersey lately (replica or otherwise) and notice it has the old 25-star logo on it instead of the new 8-star version. I tried to get a Carson Palmer jersey last year and couldn’t find one with the new logo. Then he got hurt so I waited until this year. I still can’t find one…even at the Bengals Pro-Shop. At first I thought they were just selling leftovers, but then I found a Vick Eagles jersey and a Bengals Maualuga jersey with the old logo. What gives?[/quote]
    At a Sports Authority the other day, I noticed that all the Bears replicas had the old logo whereas the “premier” jerseys had the new one (including Matt Forte and Jay Cutler, who were obviously not on the team before the logo update). My guess is that they have loads of blank jerseys that they screen numbers and sew nameplates onto as needed.

I wonder if the new ones (updated Jags, Giants, AFL throwbacks) have the new logo on them.

On a sorta related note, what the hell is this? It’s totally worth the $75 because it looks exactly like the one he really wears in practice.

• mtjaws | September 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm |

• Ricko | September 9, 2009 at 10:52 pm |

And another new school thing I like better is the painted endzones, instead of those boring slashes! I say show some personality and make a creative endzone design.[/quote]

Bama’s about the only major program with side helmet numbers. No credit for remaining unique, or you think they should just get in line and be like everyone else?

• LI Phil | September 9, 2009 at 11:10 pm |

[quote comment=”346784″]I like the variety of the throwbacks, but I’ll never like helmet numbers. It just doesn’t look right since they are all different. Alabama could really have a nice A on theirs and it’s look much better, IMO.[/quote]

fair point mike, BUT…that’s kinda what makes ‘bama awesome, in a way

if like seven schools still kept numbers on their lids, it wouldn’t be unique — in fact, it would even take away from bama … but since they’re kinda the lone gunmen, i hope they never ditch the helmut numbers

• mtjaws | September 9, 2009 at 11:35 pm |

[quote comment=”346785″][quote comment=”346784″]I like the variety of the throwbacks, but I’ll never like helmet numbers. It just doesn’t look right since they are all different. Alabama could really have a nice A on theirs and it’s look much better, IMO.

—Ricko[/quote]

Georgia Southern, my alma mater, also does it, and I just think they lose out on branding themselves with one of their logos (old or new).

Sure those two schools are the rarities, but I’d rather see them use that prime space to represent the school, not everyone’s non-uniform number.

• LarryB | September 10, 2009 at 12:03 am |

On the go a lot today so I am just checking in late.

I missed the Tiger Cats vs Argos game the other day. Well I missed it online since that is how I have watched a few CFL games.

A few years ago we went to see the Labour Day classic in Hamilton and had fun.

• LarryB | September 10, 2009 at 12:05 am |

• Dan | September 10, 2009 at 12:12 am |

As was mentioned before, another classic NFB short is The Sweater. It’s certainly one I watched in my childhood and outlines the importance of a jersey in a youngster’s life…which makes me a little worried seeing all the Ochocinco jerseys around.

• Ricko | September 10, 2009 at 12:24 am |

The flack is more for what he said (see post #24).

• LarryB | September 10, 2009 at 12:36 am |

The flack is more for what he said (see post #24).

—Ricko[/quote]

Yes I heard what he said. He did not say it well.

• LarryB | September 10, 2009 at 12:37 am |

[quote comment=”346757″]My apologies.

Turtle
    Red[/quote]

I have color picture of that turtle helmet and have to find it.

• LarryB | September 10, 2009 at 12:45 am |

Nice Virginia site there too by Justin

• rpm | September 10, 2009 at 7:21 am |

[quote comment=”346765″][quote comment=”346764″][quote comment=”346763″][quote comment=”346761″][quote comment=”346759″][quote comment=”346750″][quote comment=”346748″]what are the chances paul or robert marshall will be setting up a “broncos vertically striped socks” club similar to the stirrup club?

because, im so in for that one[/quote]

Of course, maybe we could get a volume discount from Reebok…….[/quote]

They’re not available at nflshop.com[/quote]

Haven’t found them at the Broncos website, either.[/quote]

did you guys read the sidebar in paul’s piece?[/quote]

Do what now? If it can’t be done via the WWW, it ain’t worth doing.[/quote]
    damn straight! you just earn yourself the mystery hose. big bill.

• phillydevil | September 10, 2009 at 8:07 am |

[quote comment=”346792″][quote comment=”346791″][quote comment=”346789″]Huge Buckeye fan here. Yes Pryor got a lot of flack for his eye black. I do not know what the big deal is. Pryor is a fan of Vick the football player. A running QB who was a play maker[/quote]

The flack is more for what he said (see post #24).

—Ricko[/quote]

Yes I heard what he said. He did not say it well.[/quote]

Can you give me alternative wording that DOES say it well? IMHO, it’s what he said, not how he said it, that’s the problem.

• JTH | September 10, 2009 at 8:23 am |

[quote comment=”346795″]
    damn straight! you just earn yourself the mystery hose. big bill.[/quote]
    Those might be the most frightening words ever posted here.

• iLO | September 10, 2009 at 9:02 am |

So looking forward to the New USFL.

IS it just me or are todays fields looking like poo. The Meadowlands used to look awesome with artificial turf, colored endzones and now it’s just as dull as Penn States Uniform.

• JimV19 | September 10, 2009 at 11:20 am |

I love the slashes, and I love the old diamond patterned endzones. I used to love painted end zones, but that’s the other extreme of plain ones.

• Russ | September 10, 2009 at 5:34 pm |

Regarding the title of the post…

Why would they wanna get away? They are park district employees, they got paid overtime to correct the mistake.