Can’t We Just Give the Team Back to Nelson Doubleday, Pleeeeeeze?

moron-index-lge31.jpg

Just when I thought the Mets couldn’t get any stupider — well, I should’ve stopped thinking that a long time ago, right?

The latest installment of the Citi Farce began on Wednesday, when several readers noted that a modified version of this logo had shown up on caps for sale on MLB.com. I linked to that page in yesterday’s Ticker. Things got weirder yesterday when MetsBlog ran a photo of the Mets wearing the logo-emblazoned cap for a spring workout (plus I found a shot of Jeff Wilpon wearing what appears to be the same cap). This was duly noted by Newsday beat writer David Lennon in his blog and also on the New York Post‘s Mets blog.

This raised lots of questions:

• The cap patch is based on a version of the Citi Field logo that was supposedly slated to be used only for merch sold at the new ballpark (that screen grab comes straight from the MLB Style Guide), so what’s it doing on a cap being sold over the internet (and, I’m told, at other retail outlets)?

• Why would the Mets wear any 5950 — logofied or otherwise — for a spring workout? They normally wear BP caps for spring training.

• Do they plan to wear this cap logo during the regular season?

• If so, does this mean they’ve also had second thoughts about the Domino’s sleeve patch?

With help from Newsday‘s Ken Davidoff (thanks, man), I got in touch with his colleague David Lennon, who’s down in Florida and patiently filled me in on the full scoop: Yes, they’re going to wear this cap logo for regular season games. In fact, they’re going to wear it all season long. But no, they’re not going to change the sleeve patch — they’re sticking with that embarrassment.

By the end of the day, the Mets had confirmed this with a press release:

The Mets will wear a new cap for the entirety of the 2009 season featuring a patch on the left side commemorating the opening of Citi Field. The team will wear the new caps on Monday for team photos, and then the caps will debut officially on Opening Day. Designed by MLB and the Mets last year and manufactured by New Era… [blahblahblah, a bunch of marketing bullshit that we don’t need to repeat here, the end].

So here’s the net result of all this: (1) The Mets will have an annoying bug on their caps all season long. True, it won’t be the Domino’s logo, but that hardly counts as a victory — cap patches always suck, because they make the cap look lopsided and amateurish. (2) The Mets will spend the season wearing two completely different logos that commemorate the same event. This breaks the most elementary rules of creating a graphics program, which is one the of many, many things that the Mets can’t seem to get right. Idiots.

Research Request: Several readers, most notably Jeremy Brahm, have told me that some Pacers prototype designs are housed in a display case at Conseco Fieldhouse, but nobody’s ever come up with a photo. “I think it’s in the first level or the balcony area, not in any of the club levels,” says Jeremy. With lots of action taking place at Conseco over the next couple of weeks (Pacers games on 2/22, 2/25, and 3/1; Big Ten women’s tourney 3/5-8; Indiana hockey game 2/28), this is an ideal time for someone to get us a photo of these prototypes. I know someone will step up to the plate on this one, right? Right.

Pittsburgh Party Update: After giving the matter considerable thought, I’ve decided that we’ll be meeting at Max’s Allegheny Tavern, in the bar area. See you there on March 1st, 1pm.

Raffle Results: The winner of the Colors raffle is Matthew Hackethal. I’ll be announcing another raffle on Monday, and yet another one the week after that, whoop-whoop.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Speaking of MLB logos, the Phils have a new championship mark. They haven’t yet announced whether it’ll be worn on their uniforms. … Good headline here (with thanks to Brendon Yarian). … You’d think all those ice cream sundae helmet/cup thingies would be made by one company, or two at the most, right? Wrong (trenchant brand analysis courtesy of Mets by the Numbers honcho Jon Springer). … Did you know the Angels have a minor league team called the Orem Owlz? Now Owls — Owlz. Their mascot is called Hootz, their Spanish-language name is Los Buhoz (insead of Buhos, get it?), and the local youth can join their Kidz Club. “I don’t live near Orem but if I did, I sure wouldn’t let my kid join the Kidz Club,” says an appalled Glenn Stern. … In a magnanimous gesture that will no doubt earn Phil Knight the Nobel Peace Prize, Nike has “allowed” the UGA baseball team to use Easton bats (this heartwarming news courtesy of Brent Hardman). … In a related item, someone apparently “allowed” UMass-Lowell goalie Carter Hutton to wear Reebok pads, even though the team is outfitted by Nike (good spot by Matthew Englander). … Some very cool vintage sports video game packaging here. That blog, incidentally, is pure freaking gold for anyone with an interest in 1960s-80s design (great find by Ricardo Almonte). … Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: Bosox uni number info here and here. … Sometimes a color-coordinated glove isn’t such a great idea. … And on the Chisox side, Steve Johnston reports that Dayan Viciedo will wear No. 24 (formerly worn by Joe Crede), Chris Getz will wear No. 17 (formerly worn by Ken Griffey Jr.), and Jayson Nix will wear Juan Uribe’s old No. 5. … And still more uni number news, Lastings Milledge es el nuevo ocho cinco (with thanks to Dan Cichalski). … Jonathon Binet thinks the Braves’ NOB lettering looks thicker this year than in the past. … More apostrophe issues (with thanks to Brent Hardman). … Back in 1982, someone shot a home movie as he and his friend drove to Opening Day at Shea Stadium, complete with the pregame show playing on the car radio. It’s difficult to express just how amazing this Emmy-caliber footage is, but thanks the magic of YouTube, you can see for yourself. … Rob Ullman’s latest pinup girl: reader Paul Hirsch‘s wife, Debbie. I also found this on Rob’s blog (pretty sure I hadn’t seen that one before), along with these (I think we’ve seen the Dodgers illo before but not the others). … A baseball history exhibit has opened in Dayton (with thanks to Sutton Smith. … “Looks like Henrik Lundqvist is still wearing old-style socks rather than the Edge ones,” says A.J. Frey. “He also has a bit of a unique pad-strapping system that uses plastic buckles rather than the metal clips most goalies use. Also, Jonas Hiller of the Anaheim Ducks has a new mask, featuring what I guess we can now call a retro Ducks logo. … Dig this: Terry Porter with a captain’s “C” (nice find by Doug Keklak). … Brian Proffit notes that logo creep has now extended all the way to individual metal spikes — and not just for Nike. … We all know about gumball helmets, but how about gumball helmet cart? (Nice find by Ryan Perkins). … Can’t believe I didn’t know about this before: the ESPN style/brand guide (great find by Brian Gale). … Nate Robinson reprised his slam dunk stunt on Letterman last night, complete with the green uniform. One thing that comes through very clearly: Robinson is a total sweetheart (with thanks to Eric Stangel). … Kansas State is retiring the number of a current women’s hoops player, which seems odd, no? (Thanks, Phil.) … Also from Phil: Some lacrosse team you’ve never heard of is claiming that its third jerseys are “overwhelmingly popular,” which is high comedy, the state of Wisconsin thinks it can close its budget gap by offering Brewers license plates, and if you’re gonna steal a university’s logo, it’s probably best if you’re not using it to advocate the legalization of pot. … What will the Bulls do now that they have Tim Thomas and Tyrus Thomas? Could make for some interesting NOB action. … Very rough image quality, but check out Julio Gonzalez of the 1982 Cardinals with the very unusual double-decker, half-straight half-arched FNOB (big thanks to Doug Keklak).

160 comments to Can’t We Just Give the Team Back to Nelson Doubleday, Pleeeeeeze?

• Rich | February 20, 2009 at 7:59 am |

Those Owlz eyes staring at me on the site are kinda creepy…!

• john | February 20, 2009 at 8:03 am |

Even though Nike “let” the UMass goalie go with RBK pads, he’s still stuck with the Nike/Bauer blocker. Glad to see they have nothing against TPS catchers…

Is it me, or does the lame crest look to be the same font as Donruss’ “Rated Rookie” tag?

• JAX Adam | February 20, 2009 at 8:10 am |

See, I have said this before, you a fan of the NY MESS…and Wilpon, again, has shown he has no clue as to what he is doing…I mean this is the dope who hired STEVE PHILLIPS as a GM! But I disgress…

The dope builds an $800 million Ebbetts Field Replica, in the parking lot of SHIT Stadium, Still in the flight path of LaGaurdia, and then sells the naming rights to a bailed out bank, and then Can’t market the fanfare for the new stadium. He should have either sold the naming rights to someone stable, or called the new joint, Shea Ebbetts Field…or LaGaurdia Flight Path Park…IMHO

• Dane | February 20, 2009 at 8:16 am |

I would like to read the complete NY Mets press release quoted in the article above.

• LI Phil | February 20, 2009 at 8:20 am |

what the hell is wrong with this picture?

• Paul Barrett | February 20, 2009 at 8:22 am |

does anyone else think it’s funny that the space to the right of the new phils mark kinda looks like a sleeve patch for this season of some new york team?

just thought i’d share.

• Mark in Shiga | February 20, 2009 at 8:23 am |

• Dave | February 20, 2009 at 8:31 am |

• Paul Lukas | February 20, 2009 at 8:34 am |

• KT | February 20, 2009 at 8:35 am |

RE: Orem Owlz

There’s been a mini-tradition in Utah in the last, oh, decade+ to name teams with at least one and sometimes two zs at the end (because of the Jazz starting the whole thing).

There was the Buzz, the Starzz, the Freezz, the Blitzz, the Catzz and the Pioneerzz. There were also the Grizzlies, but that doesn’t count because they started their life in Denver.

That’s probably why Orem is the Owlz.

• Boston Nick | February 20, 2009 at 8:36 am |

The pads thing is pretty common, actually. Last year, BU had two of three goalies wearing Reebok pads with their Nike unis, this year only one guys is wearing them, but no one is sporting NikeBauer pads. In fact, this year, none of the goalies are even using the NikeBauer stick, with two of them actually using Sherwood paddles.

BU also has one skater, Luke Popko, actually wearing Reebok gloves, which is very strange. They’re an older style so they look to be leftovers from a few years ago when BU was a Rbk/CCM team.

BU also has one player wearing Warrior gloves, senior co-captain Matt Gilroy. If I had to guess, I’d assume they were custom jobs that he ordered himself, as BU has never had anyone else using Warrior gloves or even Warrior sticks.

In addition to all this, many BU skaters wear Easton gloves, as BU has had a longstanding additional deal with Easton as far as sticks and gloves go. So instead of most schools where you have either everyone wearing NikeBauer gloves or CCM/Reebok gloves, at BU we have guys who wear NikeBauer, Easton, Reebok and Warrior. I like the effect, as it just brings some more variety to the game.

• Mike | February 20, 2009 at 8:36 am |

I know for a fact we have a couple of those gumball helmet car’s laying around. I will begin the hunt to find them this weekend.

• Paul Barrett | February 20, 2009 at 8:44 am |

• Paul Barrett | February 20, 2009 at 8:45 am |

[quote comment=”315630″]is there any kind of link missing from the lacrosse team from Phil at the bottom of the ticker?[/quote]

nevermind it’s there now.

• union jack | February 20, 2009 at 8:53 am |

1. There’s a special place in Hell waiting for the branding and marketing staff in Orem

2. Should there be a collection taken up to send Jeff Deck to Orem?
    3. Am I the only one who thinks “potato chips” every time I look at the Orem logo?

• Silver Salmon | February 20, 2009 at 8:55 am |

Here is the logo that got NORML in trouble. I had seen this Wednesday in the Red & Black but it didn’t click with me that it might be uni-related

• Matt Brosseau | February 20, 2009 at 9:01 am |

I thought the Spanish word for “owl” was el tecolote.

• jason gomez | February 20, 2009 at 9:02 am |

I got to see the new Iowa basketball uniforms up close last night while shopping for shoes with my daughter. All I have to say is yuck….the jersey it self isnt bad, but the shorts are hideous. I dont know what they were trying to do.

• Rob Ullman | February 20, 2009 at 9:02 am |

• Original Jim | February 20, 2009 at 9:06 am |

Two entirely different schools under the same state banner.

• union jack | February 20, 2009 at 9:06 am |

[quote comment=”315627″]RE: Orem Owlz

That’s probably why Orem is the Owlz.[/quote]

• Sarran | February 20, 2009 at 9:13 am |

There is nothing wrong with Satan on that girl’s NOB. You need not defend yourself.

• Ry Co 40 | February 20, 2009 at 9:20 am |

rob, you might want to check the URI link on your name in the comments section. i think it’s slightly wrong or something… just a heads up!!!

• Ry Co 40 | February 20, 2009 at 9:22 am |

“Can’t We Just Give the Team Back to Nelson Doubleday, Pleeeeeeze?”

…you think maybe he’d take the pirates too???

actually, does anybody out there want the pirates? maybe a high school, or community center? anyone???

• nocalal | February 20, 2009 at 9:28 am |

Like the Mets, the cap should fade in September.

• Sean | February 20, 2009 at 9:31 am |

Wait, you called Nate Robinson is a sweetheart?

You know he said two things about Nike that didn’t end in, “Douchebags!”, right?

• scott | February 20, 2009 at 9:33 am |

[quote comment=”315638″]Paul, that goalie is playing for UMass-Lowell, not UMass. UMass is the University of Massachusetts (Amherst) Minutemen. UML is the River Hawks. UMass is Division 1 is most sports, UML is only Div. 1 in hockey.

Two entirely different schools under the same state banner.[/quote]

Just going to point that out myself. Thanks for being a step ahead of me. :)

• Teebz | February 20, 2009 at 9:38 am |

[quote comment=”315622″]lets see…the phils are now reigning WS champs, and they have a possible patch for their cap/uni and haven’t decided whether they should fuck up blemish their uni with it…the mets, who haven’t won jack shit since 1986 have not one but TWO different patches with which they will grace their uni/caps…

what the hell is wrong with this picture?[/quote]

The Mets’ season hasn’t collapsed yet? LOL

• Rob Ullman | February 20, 2009 at 9:45 am |

Thanks for the info, Ry…yeah, that’s my old, dead address…

• Mickel Yantz | February 20, 2009 at 9:46 am |

Story on the Mariners rushing jerseys over to get Griffey’s NOB and # on them for sale. Best line: “We’re putting Griffey and 24 on it. That’s what I assume his number is going to be, anyway,” Thornton said with a chuckle. “I probably should have asked.”

• Rob Ullman | February 20, 2009 at 9:47 am |

Dangit!

• War Damn Eagle | February 20, 2009 at 9:55 am |

[quote comment=”315624″]Not only is the NOB lettering thicker on the Braves’ jerseys, but the number font is different too. It’s like a hybrid of the plain block (used by the Mets and probably half the majors today) and the “varsity” block (used by the Yankees, Tigers, and not too many others). Check out the point on the left side of the “4”. The angle is bizarre. And the numbers themselves are distinctively thinner. I hope these are just spring training jerseys, because if they’re real, the Braves’ look is really in decline compared to those classic vertically-arched NOBs and thick solid digits of the ’90s.[/quote]

I agree. The numbers DO look different. We won’t know for sure until opening day, because the Braves only wear their navy spring training unis while in Florida. One can only hope that those jerseys are not official game uniforms.

• War Damn Eagle | February 20, 2009 at 9:57 am |

[quote comment=”315626″][quote comment=”315625″]Unfortunately those weren’t the Braves wearing the Braves uniform. Look again at the guy wearing Tom Glavine’s uniform. Even though you can only see the back of his head, you can tell right away that’s not Tom Glavine.[/quote]

I should have mentioned that those were players lining up for Photo Day portraits. They were told to just grab a jersey from a big pile. Didn’t matter if it was actually theirs or not, since Braves jerseys all look the same from the front. Still, it’s interesting that the NOB lettering on these was different than in the past.[/quote]

Honestly, I wish the Braves would stick to this:

• Johnny O | February 20, 2009 at 10:06 am |

I strongly recommend watching this amazing interview with Cecil Fielder on the MLB Network, plus, when you get to about 3:20 in the clip, you will see a very young Prince Fielder with an absolutely sweet Detroit Tigers jersey on. As a bonus, Prince is hitting right handed as well! Here is the clip:

• Beardface | February 20, 2009 at 10:07 am |

I’m willing to bet that if the Phils go with a jersey patch, they’ll go with this, which has been for sale on MLB Shop since the series ended…

The one above looks like its a logo that will be used around Citizen’s Bank Park, since the background of it is the CBP field dimensions.

• Lomion | February 20, 2009 at 10:13 am |

[quote comment=”315635″]I thought the Spanish word for “owl” was el tecolote.[/quote]
    Going by the Spanish Wikipedia page (though I’m far from fluent in Espanol) the Spanish Language seems to have multiple names for owls, as it says “la familia Strigidae [the family to which all owls other than the barn owl belong] que incluye búhos, lechuzas, mochuelos, tecolotes, autillos, cárabos, el ñacurutú y el chuncho, entre otras.”

Buho presumably comes from the Latin “Bubo” for owl, and the owls refered to as “buho” include those in the genus Bubo (Eagle Owl, Great Horned Owl, et. al.).

Wikipedia, as always, may be flat out wrong, and there’s probably all kinds of regional variation, but hopefully that answers your question.

• Brian | February 20, 2009 at 10:19 am |

Paul, the Braves haven’t changed their lettering, the photo day uniforms have always had a different name and number font. It’s like the Red Wings preseason font change. If you check out photos from the previous years game programs, you’ll find similiar style lettering. It’ll be back to what it was last year for opening day.

If only they would go back to vertical arching…

• War Damn Eagle | February 20, 2009 at 10:22 am |

still no sign of the goofy new rangers batting helmet:

• War Damn Eagle | February 20, 2009 at 10:27 am |

anyone know why mike gonzalez’s glove has “norma” written on it? is that his mother? wife? girlfriend?

• LI Phil | February 20, 2009 at 10:36 am |

[quote]anyone know why mike gonzalez’s glove has “norma” written on it?[/quote]

“wonderboy” wouldn’t fit?

• stirpey | February 20, 2009 at 10:38 am |

Do mlb players always wear dress belts for games?
    or did he forget his game belt?

• Bryan Redemske | February 20, 2009 at 10:39 am |

• stirpey | February 20, 2009 at 10:39 am |

never really took any notice before…

• Jim Bullard | February 20, 2009 at 10:53 am |

“Nate Robinson reprised his slam dunk stunt on Letterman last night, complete with the green uniform. One thing that comes through very clearly: Robinson is a total sweetheart (with thanks to Eric Stangel).”

I’m not sure what’s worse, one grown man calling another grown man a “sweetheart” or Letterman being so uninterested in the segment that he actually asked Robinson “Do you like playing basketball?”

• u2-horn | February 20, 2009 at 10:58 am |

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but Jarrod Saltalamacchia will change to #21 for the Rangers this season so Andruw Jones can have his #25.

• Robert in Dallas | February 20, 2009 at 11:03 am |

I am indifferent about the Mets, but the wearing the cap patch all season long really bothers me. Any patch looks terrible (I still have nightmares when I think back to the first appearance of cap patches during the World Series — 1996, right?), and this could be a very slippery slope.

• Erik Morris | February 20, 2009 at 11:08 am |

Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net

puts a new meaning to logo creep….

• Derek | February 20, 2009 at 11:09 am |

• Erik Morris | February 20, 2009 at 11:09 am |

sorry bad link…here it is

• Perry | February 20, 2009 at 11:16 am |

• Teebz | February 20, 2009 at 11:16 am |

Holy crap! Bryan!!!

• LI Phil | February 20, 2009 at 11:21 am |

[quote comment=”315670″]MLB network has been running one-hour highlight videos recapping different past seasons, and last night I was watching 1982 on my DVR. As the Cardinals celebrated a walkoff win in game 2 of the NLCS, I caught a glimpse of a FNOB I’d never seen (or at least remembered) before. A guy named Julio Gonzalez had “GONZALEZ” arched across his back in normal-sized letters, and “JULIO” in smaller letters above. Sorry I don’t have the capability for a screen cap. Doesn’t even make sense, as the Cardinals had no other Gonzalez on the roster that year, at least none who appeared in a game.[/quote]

check the last item in the ticker for a screen cap

• Jim | February 20, 2009 at 11:25 am |

[quote comment=”315659″]Do mlb players always wear dress belts for games?
    or did he forget his game belt?[/quote]

All MLB players wear leather uniform belts.

• Perry | February 20, 2009 at 11:26 am |

Okay, that’s what I get for posting before reading the ticker.

• BC | February 20, 2009 at 11:30 am |

[quote comment=”315659″]Do mlb players always wear dress belts for games?
    or did he forget his game belt?[/quote]

The belt that Hamels is wearing in that picture is considered a “big league belt”. They use “fitted” leather belts in the big leagues as an option for the players. It is not something that every player wears, but the vast majority of them seem too.

Also just so everyone knows I am currently typing this from my desk in the office of the Orem Owlz. I couldn’t help but crack up when I saw the ticker today. As a long-time reader, and part-time contributor to the site, I about fell out of my chair laughing when I saw the comments above, and the info in the ticker.

Thanks everyone.

• kyle. | February 20, 2009 at 11:31 am |

i went to usc which is a nike school. a few years ago the nike deal was made more exclusive with a provision that non-nike equipment could only be substituted where nike either didn’t make something or what it made was not comparable to the best available. a friend who was on the trojan baseball team said that the switch to nike bats lead to significantly more busted bats than ever before and the team was going to switch to something else the next year. i stopped playing baseball in the fifth grade so i had never heard of broken “metal” bats, but apparently the team was going through bats at an incredible rate.

• Scott Little | February 20, 2009 at 11:32 am |

• Shane | February 20, 2009 at 11:35 am |

• chance | February 20, 2009 at 11:38 am |

Yikes – they’re wearing that cap patch all freaking year?

Sure hope the Yanks don’t do the same. Has this logo been seen here yet? Apparently, they’re putting the commemorative patch on the back of the cap, replacing the MLB logo.

And by the way, good on the Phillies for not being afraid to call themselves World Champions.

• wright on | February 20, 2009 at 11:39 am |

So, are the Mets wearing these patched caps for ALL games or only for HOME games? They are only wearing the hideous sleeve patch for home games, so one would expect them to do the same for the caps, but then again, these are the Mets.

Also notice how that instructional thingie about only selling that logo in the stadium call it CitField STADIUM? Come on!

• chance | February 20, 2009 at 11:44 am |

True enough – the Braves used to have one of the best looks in the majors, but they’ve been slowly chipping away at it – losing the vertical arch, the alternate cap and shirts diluting the identity, and so on.

• Johnny F. | February 20, 2009 at 11:53 am |

As a Cap-o-phile, UniWatcher and Mets fan, I actually enjoy the new patch.

Does that make me weird?

I think cap patches are actually pretty cool, in general. The fact that it clashes with the sleeve patch is weird… but the patch itself, on the cap, is pretty nice.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the Mets tougher-than-deserved love on this site. Kind of like the dad who thinks his own kid can do no right, but everyone else’s kids are great.

Jussayin’.

• KT | February 20, 2009 at 11:54 am |

[quote comment=”315639″][quote comment=”315627″]RE: Orem Owlz

That’s probably why Orem is the Owlz.[/quote]

Yeah, except that “jazz” is actually spelled with “z”s (Jeff Deck forgive me), as is “buzz.” Anyone who pluralizes with “z” has their head up their “azz.”[/quote]

I wasn’t making a value judgment on it. Just shedding light on the situation.

If it makes you less likely to buy tickets, knock yourself out. I doubt they’re marketing to you anyway.

• Matt from L.A. | February 20, 2009 at 12:02 pm |

I wanted to comment on one of the advertisers Paul has recently added. I purchased 2 shirts from mothinghut.com and I am very pleased with the site, the quick delivery as well as the product. Bought myself the Rambis shirt as well as the 755 Crown shirt. I would recommend this site to others.

• subway | February 20, 2009 at 12:08 pm |

[quote comment=”315682″]As a Cap-o-phile, UniWatcher and Mets fan, I actually enjoy the new patch.

Does that make me weird?

Jussayin’.[/quote]

Yeah, seems no one has brought up the Yankees wore their 100th anniversary patch on their caps from Opening Day until the last game of the World Series in 2003. But maybe it just looks classier on them. {sarcasm}

• Squiddie | February 20, 2009 at 12:13 pm |

I believe The Buzz got their name because the owner was Joe Buzas. They had been the Portland Beavers and the name was changed when they were moved to Salt Lake City. But Buzas died in 2003, we can’t blame him for the Z plague.

(As an aside, I used to have a Salt Lake City Trappers cap which people would mistake for St. Louis and I’d have to explain there was no ‘t’.)

It’s like in the early 90s when all the teams wanted to work an X into their name. My favorite was the Columbus RedStixx who managed to get two X’s and a collision word into their name.

• BrianC | February 20, 2009 at 12:14 pm |

• Kurt | February 20, 2009 at 12:26 pm |

Somebody from the 1947 Chicago Cardinals died yesterday at age 91, so they ran this neat old-school training camp group picture on the wire…

• Eriq Jaffe | February 20, 2009 at 12:27 pm |

[quote comment=”315687″]I noticed on the Owlz web site they’re selling jerseys from their “Bassackwards Night” promotion with everything reversed). How come it’s not “Bassackwardz”?[/quote]Because using an “s” to pluralize is backwards of their normal M.O., of course.

• Dave | February 20, 2009 at 12:29 pm |

• bartusball | February 20, 2009 at 12:30 pm |

• oilfan | February 20, 2009 at 12:32 pm |

[quote comment=”315678″]Oh man, yeah. My baseball cleats had swooshes on the spikes when I played, which was about 6 or 7 years ago. I can’t remember if the molded spikes did (never wore ’em), but the metal ones definitely had swooshes.[/quote]

I remember my old Converse convertible spikes having logos on them – as with my current Mizuno spikes

• Kurt | February 20, 2009 at 12:33 pm |

• dw438 | February 20, 2009 at 12:36 pm |

Oh, boy. That Mets 1982 home video really hit it. I remember the game, barely as I was there. The video really brought back a lot of great memories of going to Shea, in good times and bad ones, too. The Bob Murphy on WHN-1050 audio is classic … the guy humming one of those Jane Jarvis tunes on the Grand Central is a hoot.
    I guess the Serval Zippers sign was still on the building in the distance … and it would be the next-to-the-last year for the Jets at Shea.
    PS – The Mets marketing really, really is at their lowest, ever. Dave Howard and crew sould be canned. And the drums will beat even louder for the Mets to give up the CitiField designation completely, soon.

• BC | February 20, 2009 at 12:37 pm |

Lawsuit – GA Tech contended that Buzz is copyrighted to their mascot – and scarily, they won in court. So the Salt Lake ball team had to rebrand themselves as the ‘Bees’.[/quote]

• dw438 | February 20, 2009 at 12:37 pm |

[quote comment=”315691″][quote comment=”315637″]In my defense, I created that image of the Miro Satan girl back in August when I was excited about the upcoming season and the artistic possibilities about having a guy named Satan on the team. Rose colored glasses, indeed. It’s a shame how it’s turned out.[/quote]

I really think Lou Lamoriello has been missing out on a HUGE marketing opportunity by not trading for Miro. How many people would line up to buy a Devils jersey with his name on back. Come on Lou, think of the possibilities! Well maybe wishful thinking as a Pens fan ;-)[/quote]
    Going back to baseball, and if you know your German, Teufel vs. Gott was always a good matchup.

• Jere | February 20, 2009 at 12:40 pm |

MLB Network is on the bandwagon. The bandwagon of thinking “single open quote” is the same as “apostrophe.” Any time they show their “coming up next” screen, you’ll see it listed that way in any show title with an abbreviated year in it.

Another thing I was thinking about in this whole mess is how we can’t get a true indication of how many average people know the rule, as there’s only one key on the keyboard for both characters, which often show up in text as the same character. I’d guess that if so many major corporations get it wrong, the public, if given the chance, would get it wrong…80 percent of the time. At least.

Actually, I see in this font there’s both an open and closed single quote. I wonder which will appear if I just type ’82.

• Jere | February 20, 2009 at 12:42 pm |

Just as I thought! The single open quote! Wrong. But still could pass as an apostrophe since it’s really just an angled prime and not curled either way. It would probably look worse the other way.

• chance | February 20, 2009 at 12:44 pm |

[quote comment=”315695″][quote comment=”315693″]About Utah sports teams – I don’t know if the story of what used to be the Salt Lake Buzz has been told – the Pacific Coast League team went with that name without incident for several years until someone was sighted on Georgia Tech’s campus wearing their gear.

The team actually re-branded themselves as the Salt Lake Stingers (with an ‘s’). Then when Larry H. Miller purchased the team they returned to the same name, and color scheme as the team had when LHM was kid, thus becoming the Salt Lake Bees.[/quote]

Each step of which was an improvement.

• Grundy | February 20, 2009 at 12:45 pm |

The worst part is that I work in the area of child care centers and it kills me that some are named like Kidz Place or Lil’ Toddlers, etc. These places are already teaching kids incorrect spelling and bad grammar.

I guess in each case it’s all about marketing.

• interlockingtc | February 20, 2009 at 12:46 pm |

[quote comment=”315677″]The 1982 Opening Day Mets video is a must see. Lots of monkey business that I would’ve loved in my younger days, including “climbing” into Shea, takin a leak in the parking lot, and parking my truck in some grass to avoid parking $. Brass Bonanza at the end is just f’n awesome.[/quote]

Agreed. I was riveted. Just odd and wonderful. And the moment near the end with the stuck pick-up truck, the sports theme accompaniment, Shea in the background, is beyond description.

• Cory | February 20, 2009 at 12:51 pm |

• JRJR | February 20, 2009 at 12:56 pm |

Hey Paul–

See this yet?

• Teebz | February 20, 2009 at 12:57 pm |

I go to school in Utah and this isn’t surprising. The only major league team here is the Jazz and for some reason that meant every other team here had to have a Z in it. The Orem Owlz, The Utah Grizzlies (minor league hockey team), Salt Lake Beez (the old Orem Owlz), and the all time worst Utah Starzz (WNBA team).[/quote]

Grizzlies doesn’t really fit into the sequence.

“One of these things is not like the others…”. I miss Sesame Street. LOL

• Cory | February 20, 2009 at 1:04 pm |

i failed to read the replies before posting so i see someone else has already pointed out the Z thing, and with more examples. But in all honesty, its time for the Jazz to change their name.

• chance | February 20, 2009 at 1:05 pm |

[quote comment=”315703″]Hey Paul–

See this yet?

Man, I’m really hoping that P&G puts the sign up in their new location.

• Cory | February 20, 2009 at 1:14 pm |

I guess in each case it’s all about marketing.[/quote]

• BC | February 20, 2009 at 1:15 pm |

[quote comment=\”315702\”]From the Ticker: Did you know the Angels have a minor league team called the Orem Owlz? Now Owls — Owlz. Their mascot is called Hootz, their Spanish-language name is Los Buhoz (insead of Buhos, get it?), and the local youth can join their Kidz Club. “I don’t live near Orem but if I did, I sure wouldn’t let my kid join the Kidz Club,” says an appalled Glenn Stern.

I go to school in Utah and this isn\’t surprising. The only major league team here is the Jazz and for some reason that meant every other team here had to have a Z in it. The Orem Owlz, The Utah Grizzlies (minor league hockey team), Salt Lake Beez (the old Orem Owlz), and the all time worst Utah Starzz (WNBA team).[/quote]

Seriously? You live here? It\’s the Bees (with an \’S\’), and secondly they are the former Stingers/Buzz, not the old Orem Owlz.

• Jere | February 20, 2009 at 1:20 pm |

“I don’t see why Owlz is any different than Sox (as in Red or White). Both are plays on the word and both are equally as dumb.”

sox (sŏks)
    n. A plural of sock.

• Kek | February 20, 2009 at 1:22 pm |

Tell me about it. I was excited when the Pens signed Satan, but my brother has always been a big fan of his.

Looks like that $50 I dropped on t-shirt jerseys for him (black for his birthday and blue for Christmas) is money down the drain!

• Steve | February 20, 2009 at 1:26 pm |

[quote comment=”315690″]Will the Mets Patch be used when they play on the road? Will it be on all 3 hats?[/quote]

Seeing as the Mets wear their “road” cap as often as their “home” cap at home, I’d say it’s probably just easier to put it on all the caps.

If they actually only wore the blue home cap at home, then it would be easier to filter out of the road gear.

• Kayce | February 20, 2009 at 1:31 pm |

I have brought up this ridiculous z thing up several times during my stint in Utah and had a friend tell me the ‘z’ is for Zion. I even saw this incorporated on billboards.

Lived right near the Owlz stadium for a year and was really hoping that the Utah DBL team, that plays right next to them would be called the Bluezz. If you’re going to do something, do it all the way.

To clarify I moved back to Colorado. Utah Suckzz

• Joe Drennan | February 20, 2009 at 1:31 pm |

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but I’m at work and don’t have time to read everything.

RE: goalie stuff. The plastic buckles have been around for maybe 10 years. When they first appeared they weren’t as popular as today because the pads were much different and the buckles are much more exposed, resulting in broken buckles from pucks hitting them, and sometimes the cold would cause them to crack. As time has passed, the plastic has gotten stronger, and the design of the pads has allowed them to be protected better. I still prefer the leather straps and metal buckles.

Lundquist is probably still wearing the old style socks because many goalies wear shorts under the equipment and let the socks keep their legs warm. If he went with the RBK socks, he’d be cold, and his legs would be soping wet I assume.

As usual, I love the pin-up girls. How much do they run? I may have to get one of my wife in my old college sweater.

• Kayce | February 20, 2009 at 1:33 pm |

To clarify: billboards for furniture stores, and other companies, which I have blocked out of my mind. Sorry for the poor grammar, but it’s Friday.

• Aaron | February 20, 2009 at 1:39 pm |

My Nike Air Zoom Hideo Nomo cleats from 1996 have the swoosh on each individual cleat, so it’s not anything new.

• Beardface | February 20, 2009 at 1:50 pm |

[quote comment=”315712″]Although, please don’t throw the Grizzlies into the mix that’s a Denver original given to Utah as leftovers and then subsequently ruined by them. They did name the mascot Grizzbee though. Lame name, but I did do some time in the suit as an intern for them.[/quote]
    And the Jazz isn’t leftovers from some other area?

• Bill | February 20, 2009 at 1:50 pm |

• lwiedy | February 20, 2009 at 2:08 pm |
  • Teebz | February 20, 2009 at 2:14 pm |

Hand-wash only, Bill. Sharpie doesn’t do well in the washing machine, especially if you want to keep it.

Otherwise, you can dry-clean it, but why waste the money?

• Jim McCue | February 20, 2009 at 2:14 pm |

• Alex | February 20, 2009 at 2:19 pm |

• Jason | February 20, 2009 at 2:23 pm |

Huh?

• Paul Lukas | February 20, 2009 at 2:23 pm |

[quote comment=”315698″]Just as I thought![/quote]

That’s what you get if you just hit the space bar, then the quote key, then any other character. The idea is that if you know you need an apostrophe that’s preceded by a space, you hit option-shift-] — ’82.

Or at least that’s how it works on a Mac.

• Kayce | February 20, 2009 at 2:24 pm |

Grizzlies were moved because Denver got an NHL team.

The Jazz were moved because New Orleans couldn’t support them. Not leftovers.

• Bryan Redemske | February 20, 2009 at 2:25 pm |

[quote comment=”315671″][quote comment=”315660″]Actually, Nike baseball spikes have had swooshes for a long, long time. I had a pair in high school (in 1994) that had the swooshes. I knew it was time to replace then when the swooshes were gone. Also, I fell on my ass a lot.[/quote]

Holy crap! Bryan!!!

How are you, dude? It’s been forever since you commented/posted/wandered through![/quote]

Hey Teebz — I’m well, thanks. I wander through every day, but I’ve been in stealth mode. Those Nike cleats just stuck in my mind today.

• Paul Lukas | February 20, 2009 at 2:28 pm |

[quote comment=”315703″]Hey Paul–

See this yet?

• Paul Lukas | February 20, 2009 at 2:31 pm |

I’m sure Cole Hamels will be as excited about this as I am.

• JRJR | February 20, 2009 at 2:34 pm |

[quote comment=”315726″][quote comment=”315703″]Hey Paul–

See this yet?

Yeah. He hit all the usual suspects in NYC’s very limited neon pantheon. I have a few other favorites, but it’s slim pickins out here. Those signs he singled out are great, but in general this is not a good neon town.[/quote]

Well when you’re so close to Jersey…

• joe | February 20, 2009 at 2:34 pm |

Otherwise, you can dry-clean it, but why waste the money?[/quote]

• JAson | February 20, 2009 at 2:37 pm |

Action shots of Griffey jerseys being produced…

• hugh.c.mcbride | February 20, 2009 at 2:39 pm |

This just in from the “Insert Punchline Here” Dept.: Administrators at George Steinbrenner High School (really!) are soliciting input from future students as to what the school’s nickname should be.

If the school were located in Utah, we’d hafta go with GSHS Bossez, no?

• hugh.c.mcbride | February 20, 2009 at 2:41 pm |

Oops, here\’s the link for the GSHS nickname story (from Deadspin).

• hugh.c.mcbride | February 20, 2009 at 2:42 pm |

OK, dunno why the link isn’t showing up correctly, but here’s the URL:

[heading off to re-learn html …]

• Josh Petty | February 20, 2009 at 2:42 pm |

In high school I had a pair of Nike baseball cleats, complete with metal spikes, that had the Nike logo on each spike. They were interchangable cleats that allowed me to put rubber spikes on for summer league games (which don’t allow metal spikes), the rubber spikes also had the Nike logo on each spike. I’ve been out of high school for 5 years now, so the concept of putting a swoosh on each individual spike has been around for a while.

• Teebz | February 20, 2009 at 2:52 pm |

Otherwise, you can dry-clean it, but why waste the money?[/quote]
    I’ve got a Blackhawks jersey with about a dozen sigs on it. They date back to 93. It gets washed in the machine and they look fine still. I just don’t put Jerseys in the dryer since it kills the patches.[/quote]

On twill? Sharpie doesn’t do well on twill whatsoever when washed. Twill has properties that allow the ink to bleed, thus ruining the autograph.

• Alex | February 20, 2009 at 2:54 pm |

What do u mean by “I’m sure that cole hamels will be excited as I am”?

• Teebz | February 20, 2009 at 2:58 pm |

[quote comment=”315737″]What do u mean by “I’m sure that cole hamels will be excited as I am”?[/quote]

I’m pretty sure that Paul meant that your comment, while entirely pointless, makes him proud that he can bring that much pointless anger into your life. Just like Cole Hamels does.

• LarryB | February 20, 2009 at 2:59 pm |

From the Dayton baseball Hall of Fame story. Galen Cisco played football at Ohio State

• Skippy | February 20, 2009 at 3:01 pm |

Otherwise, you can dry-clean it, but why waste the money?[/quote]

• DenverGregg | February 20, 2009 at 3:06 pm |

The Denver South High School Rebels are changing the logo from what looks like a confederate soldier to an architectural detail of the school, but keeping the nickname (and the purple). Details: http://www.denverpos...
    Denver’s directionally-named high schools have two other geographic fits (West Cowboys and North Vikings) and one other use of an architectural detail in the team image (East Angels).

• chance | February 20, 2009 at 3:08 pm |

• Paul Lukas | February 20, 2009 at 3:09 pm |

That’s why I wouldn’t give them any of my Packers stuff – hope the other donors get their stuff back. Couldn’t help staring at the Beckenbauer and Pelé jerseys in the window and wondering where they’ll be in a week….[/quote]

AP story here:

• joe | February 20, 2009 at 3:18 pm |

Otherwise, you can dry-clean it, but why waste the money?[/quote]

I don’t understand the need to wear autographed jerseys at all. Get them framed or keep them in the closet.[/quote]

• joe | February 20, 2009 at 3:20 pm |

[quote comment=”315736″][quote comment=”315729″][quote comment=”315719″][quote comment=”315717″]Question: what’s the best way to launder a hockey jersey that’s been autographed on the twill number in Sharpie? Ruining the autographe that we worked hard would be heartbreaking, and continuing to wear it without washing it would be, well, stinky. thanks.[/quote]

Otherwise, you can dry-clean it, but why waste the money?[/quote]

Huge difference between the air-knit fabric, and the twill fabric. That’s why he needs to hand-wash it.[/quote]
    Ahh, i didn’t pay attention to the twill part.

• chance | February 20, 2009 at 3:25 pm |

Otherwise, you can dry-clean it, but why waste the money?[/quote]

I don’t understand the need to frame or put autographed jerseys in the closet, show them off at the games.[/quote]
    That’s cool, but then accept that the autograph is eventually going to get ruined. You can’t wear the jersey as a regular article of clothing and expect the signature not to be affected.

• chance | February 20, 2009 at 3:29 pm |

[quote comment=”315744″][quote comment=”315743″]Breaking news – I went to the Sports Museum of America on my lunch hour, and the place is closed down as of this morning. Printed signs on the door like a Broadway flop.

AP story here:
    Ah, well.

Surprising that they weren’t better capitalized, to only keep the doors open for nine months. It’s not like this economic crisis is brand new – it was raging well before the museum opened.

• LI Phil | February 20, 2009 at 3:46 pm |

[quote]That’s why I wouldn’t give them any of my Packers stuff – hope the other donors get their stuff back. Couldn’t help staring at the Beckenbauer and Pelé jerseys in the window and wondering where they’ll be in a week[/quote]

i wonder if the heisman will end up on eBay

• James Craven | February 20, 2009 at 4:02 pm |

[quote comment=”315622″]“What the hell is wrong with this picture?”[/quote]

First, The Mets choked the last two years to the Florida Feckin’ Marlins. Second, that logo which the Phillies will have will be used on programs, giveaways, etc.

• AJ | February 20, 2009 at 4:06 pm |

In regards to the Mets cap patch. The reason the MLB Style Guide indicated that the Citi Field logo only be sold at the park is most likely because of the “Citi” logo on the patch.

If you notice the patch sold on mlb.com does NOT have the “Citi” logo. I’m sure the sponsorship agreement between Citi Bank and the Mets has some sort of retail agreement where CitiBank would get some sort of royalties (or just more exposure) from the “Citi” logo on the caps. Since the sponsorship agreement is for the ballpark, it can probably only be sold inside the park.

I would bet the official cap patch will NOT have the “Citi” logo, as that would create a branding situation on the uniforms (Nike creep doesn’t count apparently).

Just a theory.

• The Hemogoblin | February 20, 2009 at 4:11 pm |

Grizzlies doesn’t really fit into the sequence.

“One of these things is not like the others…”. I miss Sesame Street. LOL[/quote]

I bring you today’s Cyanide and Happiness.

• Jeff P | February 20, 2009 at 4:28 pm |

Grizzlies doesn’t really fit into the sequence.

I bring you today’s Cyanide and Happiness.[/quote]
    It was referenced much earlier in the comments today.

• The Hemogoblin | February 20, 2009 at 4:32 pm |

[quote comment=”315756″][quote comment=”315755″][quote comment=”315704″][quote comment=”315702″]From the Ticker: Did you know the Angels have a minor league team called the Orem Owlz? Now Owls — Owlz. Their mascot is called Hootz, their Spanish-language name is Los Buhoz (insead of Buhos, get it?), and the local youth can join their Kidz Club. “I don’t live near Orem but if I did, I sure wouldn’t let my kid join the Kidz Club,” says an appalled Glenn Stern.

Grizzlies doesn’t really fit into the sequence.

I bring you today’s Cyanide and Happiness.[/quote]
    It was referenced much earlier in the comments today.

On another note, not really uni related but there was a good there was a good article on NHL linesmen in the NY times today.[/quote]

Uh, either I missed the fact that Teebz read today’s too, or it wasn’t posted… someone threw up the one with the guy with the Nike swoosh in bed.

• Vincent | February 20, 2009 at 4:35 pm |

• David | February 20, 2009 at 4:46 pm |

Haven’t been on the site in awhile… sorry if this has already come up…

Rutgers baseball will honor deceased alumni Darrin Winston with an embroidered DW on the right side of their game caps.

He was drafted by the Expos, and had a cup of coffee with the Phillies… died last August at the approximate age of 40

• chance | February 20, 2009 at 4:47 pm |

Looks good to me. It looks off-center because that’s the nature of block fours, and because the center of “NEW YORK” isn’t the space but the left edge of the “Y”.

• Teebz | February 20, 2009 at 4:48 pm |

[quote comment=”315755″]
    I bring you today’s Cyanide and Happiness.[/quote]

• The Hemogoblin | February 20, 2009 at 4:53 pm |

[quote comment=”315761″][quote comment=”315755″]
    I bring you today’s Cyanide and Happiness.[/quote]

I seriously cannot stop laughing at that. Everyone around me at work thinks I’ve lost it.[/quote]

I love that comic… anyways… back to uniforms… right?

• Matt B | February 20, 2009 at 5:09 pm |

There are still quite a few goalies in the NHL that still wear the old style sock. For instance, both Minnesota Wild goalies (Backstrom and Harding) still wear the old socks.

• =bg= | February 20, 2009 at 5:12 pm |

You know, Paul, the Mets do this on purpose just to torture you. You realize that…right?

• john calabrese | February 20, 2009 at 6:20 pm |

I agree…..Looks way off to me

• Alex | February 20, 2009 at 6:33 pm |

[quote comment=”315766″][quote comment=”315758″]Is it only me or Nate Robinson #4 is not centered on the jersey he wore on Letterman?[/quote]
    I agree…..Looks way off to me[/quote]

Just looked at the photo and it looks centered to me. #4 is hard to look centered espescially in triangle form

• =bg= | February 20, 2009 at 6:56 pm |

Huh. And here I thought the name was Hamels. Nuts.

• Flip | February 20, 2009 at 6:56 pm |

Ticker item: Kansas State is retiring the number of a current women’s hoops player, which seems odd, no?

I agree, but here’s the back story. http://tinyurl.com/a... Quite the player.

• DenverGregg | February 20, 2009 at 7:18 pm |

[quote comment=”315768″][quote comment=”315721″]Just cut the crap, Paul and admit that the mets did what you wanted in using that awesome patch. If not, than screw you and UNIWATCH. You piss me off more than Cole Hamules[/quote]

Huh. And here I thought the name was Hamels. Nuts.[/quote]
    Hamels is bad enough, but that Hamules . . . what a jackass!

• MPowers1634 | February 20, 2009 at 7:49 pm |

I am on vacation in Va, Beach and about 45 minutes ago, I finished my first margarita…WOW!

Anyway, I scored a Cubs and A Nationals W fitted 5950’s at a closing sale for 8$ each this week.

• Alex | February 20, 2009 at 8:15 pm |

[quote comment=”315770″][quote comment=”315768″]

Huh. And here I thought the name was Hamels. Nuts.[/quote]

Ha ha ha

Hamels is bad enough, but that Hamules . . . what a jackass! [/quote]

Excuse me, who are you calling a jackass?

• Ricko | February 20, 2009 at 8:39 pm |

Here for the first time today. Been zipping though everything, so this may have been mentioned and I missed it…but Utah is “The Beehive State”. Hence, the Salt Lake Bees was the name of the minor league baseball team for decades. “Buzz”, especially because of its resemblance to the owner’s name, was a perfect permutation and, I’m sure they thought, ideal updating of that traditional name.

—Ricko

• Rob | February 20, 2009 at 8:51 pm |

• Dan the Goalie | February 20, 2009 at 9:07 pm |

RE: goalie stuff. The plastic buckles have been around for maybe 10 years. I still prefer the leather straps and metal buckles.

Good point – My old Brown JB1800 pads had large plastic buckles for the top two straps, and I had them held together with skate laces and duct tape because they broke so many times. When I got the new RBK pads last year, part of the attraction to them was that they had all metal buckles.

As far as the RBK Edge hockey socks go, I read that most NHL goalies don’t wear them because they stick to the inside of the pads, so the pads don’t rotate as well in the butterfly. I can’t vouch for that 100% as I’ve never tried them. I wear Nike Dry-Fit compression pants, cut off a little below the knee, with Under Armour long football socks. I noticed last night that Steve Mason of the Blue Jackets wears something close to that, as well.

• JTH | February 20, 2009 at 10:04 pm |

[quote comment=”315666″]I haven’t seen anything but last names on NBA jerseys for a couple of years now. I thought of the Bulls’ possible problem too, at first though. I remember back when both Rasheed and Ben Wallace played for the Pistons, and both players simply had Wallace on their jerseys.[/quote]
    Well, Tim isn’t officially with the team yet, but there’s no modification to Tyrus’ NOB so far.

• JTH | February 20, 2009 at 10:05 pm |

[quote comment=”315658″][quote]anyone know why mike gonzalez’s glove has “norma” written on it?[/quote]

“wonderboy” wouldn’t fit?[/quote]
    Or maybe he misspelled NORML?

• JTH | February 20, 2009 at 10:09 pm |

[quote comment=”315639″][quote comment=”315627″]RE: Orem Owlz

That’s probably why Orem is the Owlz.[/quote]

Lorenzo Patterson’s got something to say about that.

• JTH | February 20, 2009 at 10:17 pm |

[quote comment=”315707″][quote comment=”315700″]I don’t see why Owlz is any different than Sox (as in Red or White). Both are plays on the word and both are equally as dumb.

I guess in each case it’s all about marketing.[/quote]

except for “sox” is a real word, accepted, and in the dictionary. Albeit its not the suggested spelling of the plural form of sock but its still a real word. “Owlz” on the other hand I think we can all agree is not correct.[/quote]
    Also, “Sox” was a headline-friendly version of “Stockings” used by newspapers in the early 20th century, not something that was contrived and focus-grouped.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    All caught up now.

• Wolverinetbone | February 20, 2009 at 10:24 pm |

Update on the UGA baseball team being “allowed” to use Easton bats. Well i was at the game tonight and everysingle batter used a easton bat. Would of taken pictures but it was to cold to get a steady shot.

• Bill | February 21, 2009 at 12:53 am |

[quote comment=”315749″][quote comment=”315747″][quote comment=”315740″][quote comment=”315729″][quote comment=”315719″][quote comment=”315717″]Question: what’s the best way to launder a hockey jersey that’s been autographed on the twill number in Sharpie? Ruining the autographe that we worked hard would be heartbreaking, and continuing to wear it without washing it would be, well, stinky. thanks.[/quote]

Otherwise, you can dry-clean it, but why waste the money?[/quote]

It’s like the rule for boats – never take anything on board that you don’t want to get wet. Never wear anything to a game that you don’t want to get beer spilled on.[/quote]

Thanks for your suggestions…hand wash, and genly at that, it is. Re: “why wear it”…hey, when you’re 13 and you have your hero’s autograph on a jersey, you wear it. Anyway, we got plenty of photos signed for the wall. Thanks again.

• Jeremiah | February 21, 2009 at 1:00 am |

[quote comment=”315720″]Wondering if the Orem Owlz just bought a bunch of Lake Elsinore Storm (California League) hats and made some slight tweaks.

Well, the Storm were an Angels Single-A affiliate for a few years. I bought one of those hats at a game some years back (I also have one from their previous color scheme of blue/silver/black featuring a lightning bolt with a halo over it). Of course, back then that particular eye logo seemed to totally rip off the No Fear line of clothing.

• Mike Engle | February 21, 2009 at 1:27 am |

[quote comment=”315774″]Rafer Alston (sp?) is wearing a jersey with no name on the back tonight for Orlando. I guess with the Magic on the road they didn’t have the letters.[/quote]
    Documentation without visual backup available here thanks to SI.com

• Robert in Dallas | February 21, 2009 at 2:37 pm |

I just watched Tom Seaver’s 300th win on the MLB Network, and now Gaylord Perry’s 300th win. The Yankees were involved in both games, and their uniforms in 1985 and 1982 looked great like always.

However, seeing the 1985 White Sox and 1982 Mariners again . . . good grief they were bad. It is so much more jarring to see those disasters for an entire game, and not just in a photo or two.

• Mohammed | February 21, 2009 at 7:05 pm |

Can I ask why the NFL football game has different uniforms on it? Obviously that wide receiver is Lynn Swann… if it was licensed by the NFL, why would they need to change the uniforms?

• johnweblink | February 24, 2009 at 2:30 am |