The Greatest Team You Never Heard Of*

preston sweater
(*unless your name is Teebz)

That sweater’s a ting of beauty, eh? (Here’s the back, breezers and socks.) It belongs to one of the greatest teams ever to play hockey — the Preston Rivulettes. From 1931 until 1939, this professional team’s record was an estimated 350 wins, 3 ties, and 2 losses. So great was this team that they were inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1963. But you probably never heard of them, right? That’s because the Preston Rivulettes were a women’s team.

So, to whom does that beautiful sweater belong? Perhaps the greatest player ever — Hilda Ranscombe, a member of the Preston (P/Springs) Rivulettes. She has been called the “Wayne Gretzky of women’s professional ice hockey.” She was regarded as the heart and soul of the Preston Rivulettes. Playing right wing, Hilda Ranscombe’s skills dominated the sport (here’s a color shot of a similar sweater). Scoring data have not been saved, but Ranscombe was by far the top scorer, becoming a legend in her time. An all-round athlete, she also excelled in softball and tennis. She was twice a finalist for Canada’s Female Athlete of the Year. Here is Hilda shortly before her death being inducted into the Cambridge Sports Hall of Fame.

The Rivulettes were the first women’s team inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, and were voted along with the 1947-48 Maple Leafs, 1949-50 Detroit Red Wings, 1959-60 Montreal Canadiens as one of the greatest teams ever. They so dominated women’s ice hockey in the 1930s that the Rivulettes won 10 Ontario titles, 10 Eastern Canadian Championships and 6 Dominion Championships.

So what happened to the Rivs? The team disbanded at the end of the 1930s upon the outbreak of World War II. Unfortunately, after the war, women’s hockey would not return, and it wasn’t until the 1960s that the sport started to regain popularity. So, now that they’re not The Greatest Team You Never Heard Of anymore, who is? Let’s hear your nominees.

“This is hockey, OK? It’s not rocket surgery.”

Notes & Quotes: • Worst uni matchups from the past week: Jackson State vs. Illinois (thanks Stuby), Montreal vs. Calgary (submitted by Ricko) and Zimbabwe vs. Sri Lanka •• Today’s Best NFL Games: Skins (getting 4 as Home Dogs) vs. G-Men @ 1:00; Steeltown (getting 1.5) at the Flying Elvises @ 4:15 ••• Bills back in their gorgeous throwbacks today •••• Jesus No. — Phil

109 comments to The Greatest Team You Never Heard Of*

• JTH | November 30, 2008 at 8:40 am |

As an honorific, “Wayne Gretzky of women’s professional ice hockey” is a bit awkward, no? Was “the female Wayne Gretzky” already taken?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe that photo doesn’t do it justice (injustice), but Jackson State-Illinois doesn’t look that bad to me. Of course, I love orange so I guess that probably has something to do with it. In fact, about the only thing I like about the Illini is that they like to wear orange at home.

• Jordan Sogn | November 30, 2008 at 9:13 am |

Going back to yesterday’s Bedlam game, it was nice to see that the report of possibly 15,000 seats (as reported all week…don’t shoot the messenger) didn’t come about due to needing to buy season tix to get into the OU/Cowboys game. There were empty seats at the top of the stadium, but nothing close to the reported numbers.

It would have been a shame for a great rivalry game to look like no one cared with a bunch of empty seats.

• Ricko | November 30, 2008 at 9:25 am |

Aw, gee, that photo from Grey Cup doesn’t show Calgary’s lovely black unitard look (pants and socks). That’s a big part of the overall ugliness.

Do like the Rivulettes all orange, though. Lousy if lots of teams do it, but one once in awhile is good.

—Ricko

• Shane | November 30, 2008 at 10:05 am |

I watched the Grey Cup last week. Montreal looked absolutely horrid.

• Gary Pinkel | November 30, 2008 at 10:25 am |

Did you catch the Kansas-Missouri Border War Saturday? We deserved to lose for wearing those God-awful yellow jerseys.

Coach P

• Graf Zeppelin | November 30, 2008 at 10:43 am |

• aflfan | November 30, 2008 at 10:44 am |

He is a picture of the Michigan/Savannah State basketball game.

• Dylan | November 30, 2008 at 11:17 am |

NC State vs Miami football game yesterday was pretty ugly as a whole. by themselves they’re alright, but together it was bad.

the album doesn’t do it justice, but whenever there were any pileups, everything just looked horrific

• Macky | November 30, 2008 at 11:42 am |

speaking of Calgary Stampeders, did you guys noticed SMU’s uni’s? It’s just like the retro Bills w/ Stampeders logo.

• Pretty Boy Paulie | November 30, 2008 at 11:43 am |

• Bob Andrews | November 30, 2008 at 11:50 am |

• Jordan Pope | November 30, 2008 at 11:51 am |

whenever dickson would run, i thought there was a flag on the field

• Ricko | November 30, 2008 at 11:52 am |

So, if Giants lose to ‘Skins today because of dumb turnovers or some such, are we gonna say, “Man, they sure shot themselves in the thigh, didn’t they.”

—Ricko

• Podunk Texas | November 30, 2008 at 11:55 am |

• JTH | November 30, 2008 at 12:07 pm |

[quote comment=”302654″]
    whenever dickson would run, i thought there was a flag on the field[/quote]
    No kidding. Those shoes. were driving me nuts. It looked like there were multiple flags flying every time he was on the screen.

• Bob Andrews | November 30, 2008 at 12:13 pm |

I wasn’t happy with the results but yesterday’s Houston-Rice game was a nice uni match-up. Rice has their best look in years. And as a UH fan I love the rarely seen all whites. It’s as close as we will get to my old favorites.

• JTH | November 30, 2008 at 12:19 pm |

[quote comment=”302653″][quote comment=”302652″]I always know I’m in a great minority when I say this but yesterday’s game in Corvallis, Oregon was quite visually pleasing to me.

Paulie you’d only get a ‘partial argument’ from me. Those Oregon whites with the green helmet is easily their best combo, at least in my eyes. The Beavers though need to switch to white pants with that jersey. That orange over black looks ‘high schoolish’.[/quote]
    As far as Oregon uni combos go, this green/white/white combo probably ranks as #2 on my list. The all-white look is my favorite.

As for Oregon State, the overall look was OK, but white pants and/or white jersey numbers would definitely have been an improvement.

• Jamie | November 30, 2008 at 12:24 pm |

teehee. Beavers smell like roses. That’s a little bit inappropriate.

• a regular guy | November 30, 2008 at 12:26 pm |

Hey if you look up Oregon States official school colors, you’d see that they’re orange & black, not orange & white.

• Podunk Texas | November 30, 2008 at 12:28 pm |

[quote comment=”302660″]teehee. Beavers smell like roses. That’s a little bit inappropriate.

Also, cricket uniforms are so consistently disgusting, it’s really not even fair. A worst cricket uniform contest is like a best Big 12 quarterback contest: they all deserve to win because they’re really all that good. (Although Harrell is the best. :))[/quote]

tsk, tsk… Colt wins, easily!!!

• Graf Zeppelin | November 30, 2008 at 12:33 pm |

[quote comment=”302656″]So I’m looking at UniWatch while my wife is watching “Steel Magnolias” on TBS… there’s that scene where one of the women is a color commentator for the local football team and they’re in the locker room and she’s talking about the colors of the uniforms. Well, another person says she’s making a fool of herself–that nobody wants to hear about the color of uniforms, just the football stats. My wife looked at me knowing I’m on UW on my computer and justifies that “maybe some people DO care what color the jerseys are!”[/quote]

I thought Shirley MacLaine was hilarious in that. “This is football! All people want to hear about is touchdowns and injuries! They don’t give a damn ’bout that grape sh**!!”

• odessa steps magazin | November 30, 2008 at 12:34 pm |

[quote comment=”302647″]Best team you never heard of: 1983-85 Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars. Played in all 3 USFL championship games; won the last 2. Went 16-2 in ’84, both losses to the N.J. Generals who they later beat in the playoffs. Coached by Jim Mora, Sr. Key players included QB Chuck Fusina, RB Kelvin Bryant, WR Scott Fitzkee, longtime NFL P Sean Landeta.[/quote]

As someone who grew up in MD during those years, some of us are quite familiar with them. :>

• Mike | November 30, 2008 at 12:39 pm |

• Mad Adm | November 30, 2008 at 12:40 pm |

I don’t see what is so wrong with the Illinois v. Jackson State uni matchup. Of course, my Illini goggles make all things orange look beautiful.

• LI Phil | November 30, 2008 at 12:40 pm |

[quote]plax vs. a handgun…who wins?[/quote]

tsk, tsk… Colt wins, easily!!!

(semi-fixed;))

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

on another note…i know it’s funny to make fun of ozzie’s ‘speech’ problems (he’s even got that new cell phone commercial), but did ESPN really need to provide subtitles?

• LI Phil | November 30, 2008 at 12:43 pm |

[quote comment=”302665″]The Redskins are wearing burgundy at home today. I know they did this against the Steelers at home a few weeks back but I figured that was a one-time thing.[/quote]

full burgundy (unitard)?

• Kevin M. | November 30, 2008 at 12:44 pm |

So who is up for some more Sean Taylor tributs today since the Redskins are putting him in thier ring of honor and its the one year anniversary of his death?

• JTH | November 30, 2008 at 12:57 pm |

[quote comment=”302659″]
    [/quote]
    Y’know… when the Oregon football uniforms were unveiled, I speculated that green/white/green “could look pretty sharp” and that all-white “might be OK” but I have to say that I’m really particularly fond of the green/white/green look. The green/white/white is much better.

I do stand by my original assessment of the green, black and yellow jerseys as being hideous, though.

• MichaelS | November 30, 2008 at 12:58 pm |

They’re not meant to look good, they’re meant to stand out in dark conditions and when you put a OD Colours uni up against Test Match whites it’s no contest. Doesn’t help when 5 of the World’s Top level nations wear green, another 3 wear blue and the other 3 wear Burgundy and Black and red respectively.

Saying this that Zimbabwe kit does reach a new low. Looks like a cross between Zorro’s cricket team and the awful stuff they wore in World Series Cricket.

• LI Phil | November 30, 2008 at 12:59 pm |

thankfully, the skins are only wearing the burgundy tops…but they are sporting a big “21” (in black circle) on their chests, and there’s a huge “21” inside a ‘feather helmet circle’ at midfield

• JTH | November 30, 2008 at 12:59 pm |

Screwed that up. It should have said “I’m NOT particularly fond of the green/white/green…”

• =bg= | November 30, 2008 at 1:06 pm |

oooooooo, looks cold in Buffalo. Shaun Hill, the Niners QB, has no sleeves, no gloves, nothing. My kinda QB. Meanwhile, that #1 stiff pick Alex Smith is watching the game back home inside his warm Palo Alto palace. Go figure.

• Dan | November 30, 2008 at 1:26 pm |

Oregon unis looked awesome. If they never had any of the other ridiculous combos we’d be talking about how clean that look is. The yellow shoes ruined their whole look.

• JTH | November 30, 2008 at 1:27 pm |

• Peter | November 30, 2008 at 1:46 pm |

Mathis on the colts having Helmet Decal problems…(sorry, no screen grab….I wouldn’t normally be watching Colts v. Browns…but Jets don’t start till 4)

• =bg= | November 30, 2008 at 2:00 pm |

What’s the PLAY 60 logo on the field for? PS- MORE Sean Taylor? Don’t you get honored in the ROH for what you do on the field? I guess..not.

• LI Phil | November 30, 2008 at 2:10 pm |

[quote comment=”302679″]What’s the PLAY 60 logo on the field for?[/quote]

don’t know why it’s on the field, but apparently the idea is to run really fast with a gatorade in your hand

• Jim Sherbert | November 30, 2008 at 2:16 pm |

• JR Boucicaut | November 30, 2008 at 2:23 pm |

Minnesotans refer to them as breezers.

• aflfan | November 30, 2008 at 2:51 pm |

My nominations for the greatest team you never heard of The Detroit Drive of the Arena Football League. Six seasons in existance, six Arena Bowls, four Championships.

• Ricko | November 30, 2008 at 2:54 pm |

[quote comment=”302682″]Minnesotans refer to them as breezers.[/quote]

Was gonna say same thing.

• Husul | November 30, 2008 at 3:02 pm |

Another Terrible Junior hockey Logo (Kindersley Klippers SJHL)

• JTH | November 30, 2008 at 3:19 pm |

[quote comment=”302685″]Another Terrible Junior hockey Logo (Kindersley Klippers SJHL)

If by “terrible,” you mean “terribly awesome” then I agree with you. Because it reminds me of this which is, in fact, awesome.

• Teebz | November 30, 2008 at 3:24 pm |

[quote comment=”302681″]I know that the “breezer” thing is UniWatch’s way of being annoyingly accurate, to the very last little detail, but it really has to stop. No one calls hockey pants “breezers”. I know, I know, they’re not pants, they’re shorts. And there is some area in upper Wisconsin that refers to them as “breezers”. Who cares if “pants” is technically misleading, that’s what they’re called. You guys look like nerds with the “breezers” thing.[/quote]

1. Breezers are the shell worn over the pants. If you don’t know the terminology, don’t correct it. While all players wear pants, not all wear breezers.

2. Absolutely phenomenal article, Phil. I have heard tidbits of information about this team (pre-WWI info is hard to come by outside the HHOF), but the stories are of legend. Rumour has it it that were destroying collegiate-trained teams in Canada with great ease during their time.

3. Female hockey players at that time were called “hockeyists”, not “hockey players”. The latter was used only for men.

4. The Rivulettes were invited to Europe in 1939 to demonstrate their abilities against European men’s teams, but the outbreak of the war canceled that adventure.

• Paul Lukas | November 30, 2008 at 3:53 pm |

“there’s that scene” — you say that like we’ve all seen Steel Magnolias..?

Uh, no.

• scott | November 30, 2008 at 4:07 pm |

[quote comment=”302677″]Dolphins in aqua pants today. Rams in white — do they ever wear the gold ones anymore?[/quote]

Don’t the Dolphins always wear the aqua pants in road games? Or at least the road games in which they don’t wear aqua jerseys? The Dolphins usually wear white jerseys and pants at home.

• Podunk Texas | November 30, 2008 at 4:10 pm |

“there’s that scene” — you say that like we’ve all seen Steel Magnolias..?

Uh, no.[/quote]

i say that with the same ignorance of the movie as you… all i know is there were football references and uni references… other than that, my knowledge of Steel Magnolias comes from my very Southern mother’s constant raving about how amazing of a movie it is and then she starts crying… lol

• =bg= | November 30, 2008 at 4:14 pm |

You are looking live at the Frozen TUndra..

• Aaron G. Stock | November 30, 2008 at 4:35 pm |

Wouldn’t Wayne Gretzky be the Hilda Ranscombe of men’s professional hockey?

• Lwiedy | November 30, 2008 at 4:49 pm |

“there’s that scene” — you say that like we’ve all seen Steel Magnolias..?

Uh, no.[/quote]

• smitty | November 30, 2008 at 5:15 pm |

[quote comment=”302693″]Wouldn’t Wayne Gretzky be the Hilda Ranscombe of men’s professional hockey?[/quote]
    that is EXACTLY what I was typing when I saw your previous post. Good one, eh

• Tony In Erie (at work) | November 30, 2008 at 5:37 pm |

Phil, great story.

So if they ever scrimmaged as shirts v skins, could you say the skins team would play in their “rivvies?”

• The Hemogoblin | November 30, 2008 at 5:56 pm |

Hey Teebz, when you get scared, do you get the Teebee-Jeebeez?

• Teebz | November 30, 2008 at 6:16 pm |

[quote comment=”302697″]Hey Teebz, when you get scared, do you get the Teebee-Jeebeez?[/quote]

When you watch Spiderman, do you pretend to be the Green Hemogoblin? ;o)

I’m gonna go with “no” on this one, Hemo. LOL

• Tony In Erie (at work) | November 30, 2008 at 6:21 pm |

Horse a piece, I guess.

• Teebz | November 30, 2008 at 6:45 pm |

[quote comment=”302699″]I would have gone with pretending he was Slimer when he watches Ghostbusters, Teebz.

Horse a piece, I guess.[/quote]

He wants to slime Peter Venkman? LOL

• Paul | November 30, 2008 at 6:56 pm |

last night i saw Garfield High School out of Seattle play with some System of Dress uniforms. Are there any other high schools that have them?

• Bobby A | November 30, 2008 at 7:13 pm |

• Tony In Erie (at work) | November 30, 2008 at 7:18 pm |

The last time I wore a watch at the same time I wore a uniform was in pony league baseball and the watch got pulverized by a inside pitch.

So, uh. Watches and uniforms? *makes that stinky fart smell face*

• JTH | November 30, 2008 at 7:39 pm |

Uh, not so much — 23-7, 33-10.

• JOSH | November 30, 2008 at 7:48 pm |

vikings wearing throwbacks tonight

• LI Phil | November 30, 2008 at 7:51 pm |

Uh, not so much — 23-7, 33-10.

Tonight’s game has potential. First place on the line in the NFC North. If the Bears win, it’s essentially a 2-game lead in the division, because they’ll have the head-to-head tiebreaker.[/quote]

yeah…well, that first game is the one i care aboot…(sorry larry)…and watching the jets got me to thinking…if the NFL were the BSC BCS…

if the jets beat the shit of the titans, but the raiders beat the jets…does that mean the raiders are better than the titans?

• soli deo gloria | November 30, 2008 at 7:52 pm |

Vikes are wearing the jersey’s i wish they would switch back to tonight. Purple is not easy to pull off but this is by far the best possible look.

• MichaelS | November 30, 2008 at 7:55 pm |

• besty | November 30, 2008 at 8:14 pm |

Vikings in… 2 years ago throwbacks?

• LI Phil | November 30, 2008 at 8:21 pm |

[quote]My wife was watching some movie called ‘Prince of Tides’ and I was walking by and something flew into my eye and it began to tear up….[/quote]

what scene would that be during?

• Sammy | November 30, 2008 at 8:24 pm |

[quote comment=”302708″][quote comment=”302702″]Good article in Friday’s New York Times regarding the time they set watches at in advertisements. Kind of Uni related. Here is the link

Imagine if they messed up the shot, they’d have to wait 11 hrs 59 minutes to get another chance.[/quote]

I like how the watch enthusiasts are called “horologists.” We should have a name for uniform enthusiasts. Any suggestions?

• LI Phil | November 30, 2008 at 8:34 pm |

• Robert in Dallas | November 30, 2008 at 8:38 pm |

The Vikes’ throwback helmets look good, but the jerseys need to be darker . . . unless they really throwing things back to only a couple of years ago.

• JOSH | November 30, 2008 at 8:39 pm |

[quote comment=”302709″]Vikings in… 2 years ago throwbacks?[/quote]
    no, the late seventies, early eighties ones, if im not mistaken.

• JOSH | November 30, 2008 at 8:41 pm |

i agree. ive never been a fan of the bears white monochrome look.

• Robert in Dallas | November 30, 2008 at 8:44 pm |

i agree. ive never been a fan of the bears white monochrome look.[/quote]

• thorold blair | November 30, 2008 at 8:48 pm |

I can’t link but cut and paste this:

Great unis too if you can get a good photo.

• thorold blair | November 30, 2008 at 8:50 pm |

apparently linking is easier than i thought.. havea look at some Edmonton Grads artwork.

• JTH | November 30, 2008 at 8:53 pm |

[quote comment=”302706″][quote comment=”302704″][quote]Today’s Best NFL Games: Skins (getting 4 as Home Dogs) vs. G-Men @ 1:00; Steeltown (getting 1.5) at the Flying Elvises @ 4:15[/quote]
    Uh, not so much — 23-7, 33-10.

cuz…the sooners kicked the shit out of the red raiders, but red raiders beat texas…so the sooners are better than the horns right? (45-35 says they’re not)[/quote]
    Well, I spent a good portion of my afternoon planted in front of Rams-Dolphins. Pretty sure nobody was looking at that as a game of the week contender.

Reason? I have the Miami defense and Ted Ginn on my fantasy team. I’m really loving the decision to go with Ginn over Hester today. REALLY FUCKING LOVING THAT DECISION.

• LI Phil | November 30, 2008 at 9:02 pm |

no, the late seventies, early eighties ones, if im not mistaken.[/quote]

• Austin | November 30, 2008 at 9:08 pm |

North Eugene in Oregon had them last season.

• JTH | November 30, 2008 at 9:09 pm |

[quote comment=”302716″][quote comment=”302715″][quote comment=”302712″]if you just put the bears in blue pants…the SNF game might just be one of the best uni matchups we’ve had all season[/quote]
    i agree. ive never been a fan of the bears white monochrome look.[/quote]

I was just thinking that it IS one of the best uni matchups of the NFL season, expressly because of the Vikes’ throwbacks and the Bears’ white monochromes. I love white monochromes on any NFL team, so long as the pants have stripes.[/quote]

• besty | November 30, 2008 at 9:18 pm |

• Jordan Sogn | November 30, 2008 at 9:19 pm |

Uh, not so much — 23-7, 33-10.

As a Sooner fan that can actually look at things without an agenda, I hear you Phil. I kind of feel like I’m cheating on my girlfriend with OU going over Texas. I see both sides to the argument (head to head vs. stronger wins throughout the season). Since Tech got smoked by OU, it should really come down to the Red River Rivalry. I’m just being honest…

On a uni note, OU will be the home team (North was home team last year in San Antonio)…hoping Mizzou wears their yellow pants with their away jerseys.

• Ricko | November 30, 2008 at 9:26 pm |

[quote comment=”302720″][quote comment=”302714″][quote comment=”302709″]Vikings in… 2 years ago throwbacks?[/quote]
    no, the late seventies, early eighties ones, if im not mistaken.[/quote]

it has to be pre-1980…vikings wore gray masks from 1961-1979…in 1980 they went to white and from 1985 on they’ve been purple[/quote]

As far as the Vikings’ jerseys go, other than for a couple years in early 70s when they had no sleeve stripes, that’s really the only other purple jersey they’ve worn until the recent re-design (well, long time ago TV’s were on sleeves, of course).

Is old, less detailed helmet horn, too.

—Ricko
    (Peterson is something, isn’t he.)

• JTH | November 30, 2008 at 9:29 pm |

It was a late hit. Maybe Frerotte backed into him, but Wale definitely gave him a shot. Bears got extremely lucky on that one.

• Ricko | November 30, 2008 at 9:30 pm |

P.S., One of the great piss-offs (or at least things I’ll never understand) is that Vikings never expressed a scintilla of interest in Drew Brees. I mean, Culpepper was hurt and doubtful but, noooooo…he was the guy.

And then Tarvaris Jackson was the guy.

Problem is, even though the may somehow stumble into the playoffs, Childress has never been “the guy”.

• Paul Lukas | November 30, 2008 at 9:35 pm |

[quote comment=”302711″]I like how the watch enthusiasts are called “horologists.”[/quote]

I love that term too. Wasn’t aware of it until last month, when (for reasons not worth explaining here) I was invited to help myself to all sorts of tools and parts from the basement workshop of a deceased watch repairman. So many completely fascinating gadgets and doodads! Came away with tons of marvelous stuff. And learned the term “horologist” along the way.

• Teebz | November 30, 2008 at 9:46 pm |

[quote comment=”302717″]From the best teams you’ve likely never heard of is the Edmonton Grads basketbal team.[/quote]

I’m going with another Canadian university as the BTYLNHO (best teams you’ve likely never heard of).

The University of Winnipeg Wesmen women’s volleyball team put up an historic 123-match winning streak from January 9, 1987 – January 15, 1989. They also posted a 58-0 season in 1987-88 during that time.

Some of the teams they beat during that timeframe included Japan’s University national champion Tsukuba, Canada’s national team, the Minnesota Monarchs professional team, and the number-one ranked NCAA team in Texas.

The University of Winnipeg Wesmen women’s basketball program also tied a North American record with 88 straight wins without a loss in regular-season, playoff and national championship play from 1993-1995. They tied the UCLA Bruins’ record for consecutive wins before being beat by their cross-town rivals, the University of Manitoba Bisons, 64-62 to end the streak.

• scott | November 30, 2008 at 9:59 pm |

[quote comment=”302722″]It’s definitely in my top 5. My vote for best goes to Indy-Cleveland. Nobody does white monochrome better than the Colts. Others receiving votes: Giants-Skins, KC-Oakland and Niners-Bills.[/quote]

I thought the Packers-Panthers match-up looked pretty good, too. Carolina has an underrated white monochrome uniform, IMO.

• Jordan Pope | November 30, 2008 at 10:14 pm |

[quote comment=”302726″][quote comment=”302723″]so it’s a late hit when you back into the defender huh Madden? If they ever call that we’ll start having floppers from the nba in the nfl. Umm.. it is a good uni game. Bears monochrome is better than blue pants.[/quote]

Oh, and memo to Al Michaels: he prefers to pronounce it Ur-LACK-er, not Ur-LOCK-er, but it’s only his ninth season, so I’ll cut you some slack.[/quote]

he’s only a defensive mvp and grew up for most of his life an hour away from me

• LI Phil | November 30, 2008 at 10:18 pm |

devon hester’s not a natural WR, is he?

• Ricko | November 30, 2008 at 10:20 pm |

[quote comment=”302732″]devon hester’s not a natural WR, is he?[/quote]

Good argument to let him keep #23.

• hofflalu | November 30, 2008 at 10:33 pm |

• Brandon | November 30, 2008 at 10:54 pm |

For those who think these jerseys the Vikings are wearing are merely a 2-3 year throwback. Compare this:
    on the right and then what they were wearing a few years ago:
    Note the outlined number, different shoulder striping and the number thickness in addition to the gray facemask.

• JTH | November 30, 2008 at 10:56 pm |

Wellll… not quite. You’d also have to take the GSH off the left sleeve and put them in the blue-topped socks.

• Chuck | November 30, 2008 at 11:05 pm |

someone on the Colts team had 3/4ths of a horse shoe logo on his helmet today late in the game.

• JTH | November 30, 2008 at 11:22 pm |

[quote comment=”302704″]
    Tonight’s game has potential.[/quote]
    Survey says…
    BZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

• LI Phil | November 30, 2008 at 11:28 pm |

[quote comment=”302738″][quote comment=”302704″]
    Tonight’s game has potential.[/quote]
    Survey says…
    BZZZZZZZZZZZZ![/quote]

• Joe J. | November 30, 2008 at 11:34 pm |

Al and John on sunday night football keep refering to the gunk on Minnesota Adrian Peterson’s jersey as blood. guess they missed the discussion here from last season…

• Timothy B | November 30, 2008 at 11:47 pm |

Two greatest teams you may not have heard of: The New York Arrows and the San Diego Sockers. Two teams in the first incarnation of the Major Indoor Soccer League. Arrows won the league’s first 4 championships. The Sockers won 7 championships in 8 years and 8 overall.

• JTH | December 1, 2008 at 12:05 am |

[quote comment=”302739″][quote comment=”302738″][quote comment=”302704″]
    Tonight’s game has potential.[/quote]
    Survey says…
    BZZZZZZZZZZZZ![/quote]

look at it this way…you won’t go down to the cowboys or panthers as a 3 or 4 seed now[/quote]
    And with every embarrassing defeat, I creep just a wee bit higher on the season ticket waiting list!

• Salvamerican | December 1, 2008 at 12:12 am |

In addition to the gray facemask, is the Minnesota helmet painted with a different shade of purple? It almost looks like it might be darker or a flat paint instead of glossy.

• Nick | December 1, 2008 at 1:18 am |

SATURDAY NITE – OLD SCHOOL

Notre Dame at USC ….grey vs grey facemasks !!!

Are these the ONLY two BCS schools that still wear grey facemasks ?

• MPowers1634 | December 1, 2008 at 1:44 am |

[quote comment=”302694″][quote comment=”302689″][quote comment=”302656″]So I’m looking at UniWatch while my wife is watching “Steel Magnolias” on TBS… there’s that scene where one of the women is a color commentator for the local football team…[/quote]

“there’s that scene” — you say that like we’ve all seen Steel Magnolias..?

Uh, no.[/quote]

One of my favorite novels written by one of my favorite authors: Pat Conroy, who played hoops at The Citadel:

• MPowers1634 | December 1, 2008 at 1:46 am |

[quote comment=”302744″][quote comment=”302736″][quote comment=”302734″]If you change the Bears’ navy facemasks to grey, tonight you’d have an exact uniform match-up of the Vikings & Bears uniforms from 1976-79. This may as well be a throwback game for both teams.[/quote]

SATURDAY NITE – OLD SCHOOL

Notre Dame at USC ….grey vs grey facemasks !!!

Are these the ONLY two BCS schools that still wear grey facemasks ?[/quote]

Bama…

• John | December 1, 2008 at 1:50 am |

The Minnesota helmets are truly throwbacks, not the same ones as are currently worn. Not only is the helmet a darker shade, but the horns are throwbacks as well. The current ones have some lines around the base of the horn to give it a more 3-d appearance, the horns on the helmet tonight were plain like they used to be.

vs.

• John | December 1, 2008 at 1:51 am |

Whoops helmet links didn’t come through.

Current:

Throwback (Old):

• BurghFan | December 1, 2008 at 2:28 am |

It’s been a long time since the name “Steve Zungul” came to mind.

• Ricko | December 1, 2008 at 6:32 am |

Gotta go back to early to mid-50’s for Bears in white jerseys, pants and socks. That’s why I like ’em.

• mtjaws | December 1, 2008 at 12:15 pm |

I know I’m a day late, but my unknown team needs to be shared.

The greatest “team” that many have not heard of is the Indian River State College Swimming and Diving teams.

This program has been unstoppable at their level for the past three decades. The Mens swimming and diving team has won the junior college national championship for 34 consecutive years! Every year since 1975. The womens team is close behind at 26 consecutive national championships, and 30 overall.

Every March, they simply outperform everyone else in every event, and add another title to the streaks. And that is pretty amazing since the students move on after their two years of junior college.

• Leon | December 1, 2008 at 2:13 pm |

Greatest team you’ve never heard of:

Immaculata College in Malvern, PA. The Mighty Macs won the first three AIAW Division I Basketball championships. Apparently this is a team we’ll all hear of soon, as yet another feel-good-sports-movie is being made, with Immaculata as the subject (Our Lady of Victory, due out yet this year)

• rocketman | December 1, 2008 at 2:48 pm |

I haven’t seen the gold pants all season – no big loss. Wearing plain gold makes them look like a college team.

Not a uni, I know – but what’s up with the turf at the Edward Jones Dome? It made the game almost unwatchable; it seems to be two shades of green and it’s hard on the eyeballs.