Well, Which Is It?

fullj.6e32e1f16d1af0df3d72af739b0913a1/6e32e1f16d1af0df3d72af739b0913a1-getty-82627620db012_san_jose_shar.jpg

If you could see all of Florida goalie Tomas Vokoun, you’d be able t — hell, nevermind. We can see the important bits. Nike/Bauer stick and Reebok everything else. Odd.

So I guess my question to hockey-type folks is this: Why don’t goalies go with one sponsor for all of their gear, like catchers?

And in other, completely unrelated equipment issues, I know it’s the preseason and all, but can we get some good fishnets at least? Please? — Bryan

134 comments to Well, Which Is It?

• LI Phil | October 25, 2008 at 8:29 am |

it’s certainly not the worst uni ever, but there’s nothing that screams “beauty” either

such is the nba

• Shayne Menecola | October 25, 2008 at 8:29 am |

I noticed the same thing and chaulked upto me being too big of a loser for my own good but it does bother me I hate the vector.

• Bob Sullivan | October 25, 2008 at 9:06 am |

So, goalies are actually paid to wear equipment pieces, and so will wear what they like. Currently Bauer (Nike spun them off, so we don’t say Nike-Bauer anymore) makes a great composite goalie stick. Actually, if you really look at most goalie equipment, you’ll see Vaughn or Reebok labels on most of the outer pads. Those two manufacturers tend to dominate hockey pads. Many goalies appear to use Itech masks. Some of those masks aren’t actually Itech ones though. Others use masks made by small manufacturers such as Hackva, Eddy, or Sportmask. Inside equipment, such as chest/arm protection, tends to also come from either Vaughn or Reebok. Many of us wear Graf, CCM, or Vapor skates.

• Brendan | October 25, 2008 at 9:08 am |

The title of today’s post fits nicely with this beauty I found on eBay (and the same team is involved, too): Well, Which Is It?

It reminds me of the A’s/Giants caps occasionally seen here in the Bay Area, is this a regional thing or are there as many uni-idiots (uniïdiots? unidiots?) out there, too?

• Darren | October 25, 2008 at 9:33 am |

Hey if anybody’s DVRing the Blackhawks/Detroit game tonight, they’re unveiling the jerseys for the Winter Classic between the 1st and 2nd periods. I’m sure there’ll be opportunity for some screen grabs.

• Stuby | October 25, 2008 at 9:35 am |

[quote comment=”296626″]lacking anything in the way of major sports on tv last night, the thunder played the lakeshow in preseason…a little discusson ensued on their uni-likenesses last evening…do they look like the knicks? old pistons (grant hill era)? something else?

such is the nba[/quote]
    I saw a Wizards highlight after our discussion last night. The Thunder isn’t (aren’t) too far off from them either…

• Chris M | October 25, 2008 at 9:36 am |

Speaking of the Thunder – well the Hunder, in the latest ESPN magazine, there is a picture of Kevin Durant in the NBA Preview. But if you look closely at his uniform, the T in Thunder is missing.

Now I suppose it could be folded over or something since it does seem like an action shot, but I though it was pretty funny.

• C-Wicky | October 25, 2008 at 10:01 am |

such is the nba[/quote]

They look like a D-League team. And was that Kevin Wills in the photo link?

• u2-horn | October 25, 2008 at 10:04 am |

[quote]And in other, completely unrelated equipment issues, I know it’s the preseason and all, but can we get some good fishnets at least? Please? [/quote]

Fishnets look fine to me–that appears to be an adhesive bandage underneath.

• Greg Netherwood | October 25, 2008 at 10:16 am |

I was a goalie in college, and our college was “sponsored” by Vaughn. They had a rep come in and size us, and fit us for pads. We got everything that the pro’s wore, but for about 5% of the retail price. I loved it. Best gear I ever wore.

But despite having that equipment, we used whatever sticks we felt comfortable with.

I never officially asked the Vaughn rep, but I know the sticks weren’t part of our sponsorship, and it was more or less an unwritten rule that you just went with what you were comfortable with.

I know that I wasn’t a big fan of the lie and curves on some of the Sher-Woods, for example.

So, oddly enough much like the photos, I used a Nike/Bauer composite as it was light, had a good feel on the ice, and felt good in my hands.

Goalies are fickle folk, don’t ask us why we do things, just go with it. Its for the best :-P

• Giancarlo | October 25, 2008 at 10:27 am |

NY Yankees: Damn Yankees
    LA Dodgers: The Geisha Boy
    LA Angels: Angels in the Outfield (’94)
    Chi White Sox: Eight Men Out/The Stratton Story
    Chi Cubs: Rookie of the Year
    Cleveland: Major League
    San Diego: The Kid From Left Field
    Pittsburgh: Angels in the Outfield (’51)
    Boston: Fear Strikes Out
    Detroit: One in a Million: The Ron LeFlore Story

Others?

• ToasterPoodle | October 25, 2008 at 10:42 am |

NY Yankees: Damn Yankees
    LA Dodgers: The Geisha Boy
    LA Angels: Angels in the Outfield (’94)
    Chi White Sox: Eight Men Out/The Stratton Story
    Chi Cubs: Rookie of the Year
    Cleveland: Major League
    San Diego: The Kid From Left Field
    Pittsburgh: Angels in the Outfield (’51)
    Boston: Fear Strikes Out
    Detroit: One in a Million: The Ron LeFlore Story

Others?[/quote]
    Minnesota: Little Big League, Major League 3 – Back to the Minors (Team in a supporting role)
    Milwaukee: Mr. 3000
    Detroit: For the Love of the Game
    San Francisco: The Fan
    Boston: Fever Pitch
    St. Louis: The Pride of St. Louis (Dizzy Dean Biopic)
    Tampa Bay: The Rookie

• Kenny | October 25, 2008 at 10:44 am |

NY Yankees: Damn Yankees
    LA Dodgers: The Geisha Boy
    LA Angels: Angels in the Outfield (’94)
    Chi White Sox: Eight Men Out/The Stratton Story
    Chi Cubs: Rookie of the Year
    Cleveland: Major League
    San Diego: The Kid From Left Field
    Pittsburgh: Angels in the Outfield (’51)
    Boston: Fear Strikes Out
    Detroit: One in a Million: The Ron LeFlore Story

Others?[/quote]

Minnesota Twins: Little Big Leagues

• Giancarlo | October 25, 2008 at 10:44 am |

Excellent. Have there been no New York Mets movies? That’s weird.

• Stuby | October 25, 2008 at 10:45 am |

NY Yankees: Damn Yankees
    LA Dodgers: The Geisha Boy
    LA Angels: Angels in the Outfield (’94)
    Chi White Sox: Eight Men Out/The Stratton Story
    Chi Cubs: Rookie of the Year
    Cleveland: Major League
    San Diego: The Kid From Left Field
    Pittsburgh: Angels in the Outfield (’51)
    Boston: Fear Strikes Out
    Detroit: One in a Million: The Ron LeFlore Story

Others?[/quote]
    Minnesota: Little Big League
    SF Giants: The Fan

• Kenny | October 25, 2008 at 10:47 am |

NY Yankees: Damn Yankees
    LA Dodgers: The Geisha Boy
    LA Angels: Angels in the Outfield (’94)
    Chi White Sox: Eight Men Out/The Stratton Story
    Chi Cubs: Rookie of the Year
    Cleveland: Major League
    San Diego: The Kid From Left Field
    Pittsburgh: Angels in the Outfield (’51)
    Boston: Fear Strikes Out
    Detroit: One in a Million: The Ron LeFlore Story

Others?[/quote]

I guess you can call it a featured team
    San Fracisco Giants: The Fan

• Kenny | October 25, 2008 at 10:49 am |

damn it…late twice in a row by 2 minutes!!!

• Kenny | October 25, 2008 at 10:52 am |

• mike 2 | October 25, 2008 at 10:57 am |

Yankees: 61*, The Pride of the Yankees, Bang the Drum Slowly

Detroit: Cobb

• Kevin M. | October 25, 2008 at 10:58 am |

I work with the Columbus Cottonmouths of the SPHL. I know our goalies use Vaughn pads because that is what they like. The SPHL however has a deal with Sher-wood sticks so all players including goalies have to use Sher-wood sticks. All the other position players have to use Sher-wood gloves, breezers and any other equipment that they need. Also on a side note the Cottonmouths had pink jerseys last night and will wear them again tonight. I will try to get some pictures and put up tomorrow.

• Stuby | October 25, 2008 at 11:01 am |

As I recall, in ‘The Kid From Left Field’ they gave all the Padre players really high uni numbers, like up in the 70s and 80s. No better way to kill authenticity.

• Chris | October 25, 2008 at 11:02 am |

[quote comment=”296639″]Excellent. Have there been no New York Mets movies? That’s weird.[/quote]
    “Frequency” featured the ’69 Mets and “Game 6” was about the 1986 Series. Not true Sports Movies though.

• Giancarlo | October 25, 2008 at 11:06 am |

From that list…
    Houston: Night Game (interesting-looking obscurity!)
    Brooklyn Dodgers: It Happened in Flatbush
    St. Louis Browns: A Winner Never Quits
    St. Louis Cards: The Winning Team
    Detroit: Tiger Town
    Chi Cubs: Elmer the Great

• Andrew | October 25, 2008 at 11:45 am |

About the goalie equipment; having worked in a sporting goods store in Canada, I can tell you that certain manufacturers make certain goalie products at a higher quality than others. For example, Vaughn makes excellent pads, but poor helmets and sticks. Almost all Vaughn goalies will sport a different stick and helmet (see: Kipprusoff, Miika) But, when a manufacturer (like Reebok) attempts to supply the entire kit, you see some consistency (see: Roberto, Luongo).

• Devon | October 25, 2008 at 11:47 am |

Fever Pitch doesn’t count due to the fact that it’s only marginally a film.

• The Ol Goaler | October 25, 2008 at 11:51 am |

Not a sports movie, but “Men In Black” featured the Mets’ Bernard Gilkey in a cameo role, staring in amazement in centerfield as a flying saucer soared over Shea.

• Smail | October 25, 2008 at 12:01 pm |

The original version of The Kid From Left Field (1953) was way better. It used a fictional American League team, the Bisons, that played against actual teams like the Yankees and the Brooklyn Dodgers (in the World Series).

• The Ol Goaler | October 25, 2008 at 12:03 pm |

[quote comment=”296651″]Fever Pitch doesn’t count due to the fact that it’s only marginally a film.

Also; I’m sure Paul will find this on his own, but the Rays are apparently wearing “Elmer Fudds” now that they’re in Philly. I’m hoping they revolutionize the fitted cap culture in America’s colder locales; everybody needs something to laugh at these days.[/quote]
    Oddly enough, Elmer’s hat usually leaves his ears uncovered!

“Scwewwy Ways!”

• Steve Sarran | October 25, 2008 at 12:20 pm |

[quote comment=”296641″][quote comment=”296636″]After showing Eight Men Out last night TCM showed The Stratton Story, which also centers around the White Sox. It got me to thinking about movies that “star” a particular MLB team. How many teams have been served this way? Here’s what I’ve got:

NY Yankees: Damn Yankees
    LA Dodgers: The Geisha Boy
    LA Angels: Angels in the Outfield (’94)
    Chi White Sox: Eight Men Out/The Stratton Story
    Chi Cubs: Rookie of the Year
    Cleveland: Major League
    San Diego: The Kid From Left Field
    Pittsburgh: Angels in the Outfield (’51)
    Boston: Fear Strikes Out
    Detroit: One in a Million: The Ron LeFlore Story

Others?[/quote]

I guess you can call it a featured team
    San Fracisco Giants: The Fan[/quote]
    Houston Astros were in one of the old Bad News Bears Flix. I think it was Braking Training.

• AB | October 25, 2008 at 12:46 pm |

KU wearing the crimson alternates today. Looking pretty sharp IMO.

• Ben | October 25, 2008 at 1:01 pm |

New York Rangers: Mystery Alaska

• Leah | October 25, 2008 at 1:03 pm |

[quote comment=”296628″]Speaking as an non-sponsored, amateur goalie… Going back to their non-sponsored days, goalies find equipment that they like and usually stick with it. Different leg pads have different rebound absorption spring to them, some gloves just feel better on your hands than others, etc. And no one fools around with masks. We could care less if someone paid us to use what would be, in our opinion, an unsafe or dangerous piece of equipment.
    If you check with most goalies, you’d be surprised at how old some of their equipment is. They like it, it gets broken in, and they get it refurbished again and again. See Brodeur, Martin – Mask.[/quote]

Just to add something, Marty Biron once said in an interview while he was here in Buffalo that if he ever found a left pad and a right pad from two different companies he would wear them as long as they felt good.

• Macky | October 25, 2008 at 1:20 pm |

I guess this is the perfect time to mention Arturs Irbe if we’re talking about goalies getting comfortable with equipments.

• Salvamerican | October 25, 2008 at 1:21 pm |

I’m watching the OU-Kansas St. game. The kicker for KSU had some kind of patch on his jersey just above his NOB. I don’t have HD or the capability to do screen grabs, but any KState fans out there know what the patch is? Also, is #16 the only player wearing it?

• Casey (Davis, CA) | October 25, 2008 at 1:21 pm |

goalie pads = catcher’s gear
    goalie stick = baseball bat that catcher hits with

I think if you look at it this way, you will find the answer.

• Richard Bruns | October 25, 2008 at 1:42 pm |

NY Yankees: Damn Yankees
    LA Dodgers: The Geisha Boy
    LA Angels: Angels in the Outfield (’94)
    Chi White Sox: Eight Men Out/The Stratton Story
    Chi Cubs: Rookie of the Year
    Cleveland: Major League
    San Diego: The Kid From Left Field
    Pittsburgh: Angels in the Outfield (’51)
    Boston: Fear Strikes Out
    Detroit: One in a Million: The Ron LeFlore Story

Others?[/quote]

It’s been a while since I’ve watched Eight Men Out but if they show any of the World Series games at all, the Cincinnati Reds would be included.

• Mike D. | October 25, 2008 at 2:00 pm |

Not really sports movie, but the Yankees were featured in “Anger Management”. I forgot who they were playing.

• Steve | October 25, 2008 at 2:05 pm |

NY Yankees: Damn Yankees
    LA Dodgers: The Geisha Boy
    LA Angels: Angels in the Outfield (’94)
    Chi White Sox: Eight Men Out/The Stratton Story
    Chi Cubs: Rookie of the Year
    Cleveland: Major League
    San Diego: The Kid From Left Field
    Pittsburgh: Angels in the Outfield (’51)
    Boston: Fear Strikes Out
    Detroit: One in a Million: The Ron LeFlore Story

Others?[/quote]

Yankees also star in “The Scout” which I hadn’t even thought about in years until just now.

• Flip | October 25, 2008 at 2:05 pm |

Just the opposite. The blue jerseys were growing on me, even the Trajan font. But that red is too much. Pack it away.

• Graf Zeppelin | October 25, 2008 at 2:10 pm |

Detroit: Cobb[/quote]

• scott | October 25, 2008 at 2:23 pm |

Don’t the Jayhawks always lose when they wear the red tops?

• Lwiedy | October 25, 2008 at 2:38 pm |

[quote comment=”296670″][quote comment=”296645″]Yankees: 61*, The Pride of the Yankees, Bang the Drum Slowly

Detroit: Cobb[/quote]

Bang the Drum Slowly actually featured a fictional team called the New York Mammoths. Their uniforms resembled the Yankees’ and the baseball scenes were filmed at Shea.[/quote]

Also, some at YS (pre-renovation). Opening day anthem scene, bullpen scene they are wearing homes at YS. Also, when the Mammoths are wearing roads, they were filmed at YS. But you are correct, game “action” wearing homes are at Shea.

It was mentioned earlier the association of Damn Yankees is with the Yankees, wouldn’t a closer association be with the Washington Senators?

• Shaftman | October 25, 2008 at 2:42 pm |

Talent for the Game – California Angels
    Brewster’s Millions (1985) – New York Yankees (& Durham Bulls)
    Mr. Baseball – New York Yankees, Detroit Tigers, (& Nagoya Chunichi Dragons)
    Major League: Back to the Minors – Minnesota Twins
    The Scout – New York Yankees
    A Winner Never Quits (The Pete Grey Story) – St. Louis Browns
    The Babe – Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Boston Braves
    Game 6New York Mets

My apologies for any repeats.

• Kevin Z. | October 25, 2008 at 2:44 pm |

Not sure if this stuff has been mentioned, but it looks like the stick for the Vokoun is in San Jose colors. Maybe Nike/Bauer only makes it in that color scheme? Maybe he was borrowing a Sharks goalie’s stick (though very unlikely)?

Also, while most catcher’s have the same brand gear, that doesn’t always include the mitt since some gear maker’s don’t make gloves and some catchers seem to prefer a glove brand that’s different from the gear brand.

• Lwiedy | October 25, 2008 at 2:47 pm |

[quote comment=”296673″]Talent for the Game – California Angels
    Brewster’s Millions (1985) – New York Yankees (& Durham Bulls)
    Mr. Baseball – New York Yankees, Detroit Tigers, (& Nagoya Chunichi Dragons)
    Major League: Back to the Minors – Minnesota Twins
    The Scout – New York Yankees
    A Winner Never Quits (The Pete Grey Story) – St. Louis Browns
    The Babe – Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Boston Braves
    Game 6New York Mets

My apologies for any repeats.[/quote]

Monte Brewster’s HACKENSACK Bulls played the Yanks.

• Shaftman | October 25, 2008 at 2:50 pm |

Brewster’s Millions (1985) – New York Yankees (& Durham Bulls)
    Mr. Baseball – New York Yankees, Detroit Tigers, (& Nagoya Chunichi Dragons)
    Major League: Back to the Minors – Minnesota Twins
    The Scout – New York Yankees
    A Winner Never Quits (The Pete Grey Story) – St. Louis Browns
    The Babe – Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Boston Braves
    Game 6New York Mets

My apologies for any repeats.[/quote]

Monte Brewster’s HACKENSACK Bulls played the Yanks.[/quote]

Damn…you’re absolutely right. BIG brain fart on that one. Thanks.

• Jamie | October 25, 2008 at 2:55 pm |

No pictures, but Texas Tech’s new mid-season walk-on kicker Matt Williams has some interesting NOB issues. It looks like

M. W I L L I A M S

• Lwiedy | October 25, 2008 at 2:57 pm |

Atlanta Braves: Slugger’s Wife (1985)
    Cleveland Indians: It’s My Turn (1980)

• failos2002 | October 25, 2008 at 2:59 pm |

Really? No one has mentioned Mariners vs. Angels (at Dodger Stadium) in The Naked Gun?

I….must kill…the queen!

• Lwiedy | October 25, 2008 at 3:18 pm |

Brewster’s Millions (1985) – New York Yankees (& Durham Bulls)
    Mr. Baseball – New York Yankees, Detroit Tigers, (& Nagoya Chunichi Dragons)
    Major League: Back to the Minors – Minnesota Twins
    The Scout – New York Yankees
    A Winner Never Quits (The Pete Grey Story) – St. Louis Browns
    The Babe – Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Boston Braves
    Game 6New York Mets

My apologies for any repeats.[/quote]

Monte Brewster’s HACKENSACK Bulls played the Yanks.[/quote]

Damn…you’re absolutely right. BIG brain fart on that one. Thanks.[/quote]

No biggie. Looked for a shot of the satin uniforms Monte bought for the Bulls, coun’t find ’em.

Chicago Cubs: Taking Care of Business

• WVU Tom | October 25, 2008 at 3:22 pm |

Toronto Maple Leafs: The Love Guru

(Bad movie, but relevant none the less).

• Lwiedy | October 25, 2008 at 3:27 pm |

In Gung Ho (1986), George Wendt remarks that the Assan Motors softball team looks like the Yankees, “I hate ’em already” Wendt said.

It also feature this guy.

• Shaftman | October 25, 2008 at 4:00 pm |

[quote comment=”296680″][quote comment=”296676″][quote comment=”296675″][quote comment=”296673″]Talent for the Game – California Angels
    Brewster’s Millions (1985) – New York Yankees (& Durham Bulls)
    Mr. Baseball – New York Yankees, Detroit Tigers, (& Nagoya Chunichi Dragons)
    Major League: Back to the Minors – Minnesota Twins
    The Scout – New York Yankees
    A Winner Never Quits (The Pete Grey Story) – St. Louis Browns
    The Babe – Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Boston Braves
    Game 6New York Mets

My apologies for any repeats.[/quote]

Monte Brewster’s HACKENSACK Bulls played the Yanks.[/quote]

Damn…you’re absolutely right. BIG brain fart on that one. Thanks.[/quote]

Chicago Cubs: Taking Care of Business[/quote]

These are the best shots I could find of the satin uniforms.

These were the originals that they wore.

• Beardface | October 25, 2008 at 4:01 pm |

Man… the helmets for the VT OL look beat to shit today. They’ve got the old school NFL uglies look to ’em… I like it

Not to mention they’re wearing the throwbacks… Nice

• JTH | October 25, 2008 at 4:09 pm |

There’s an animated movie called Everyone’s Hero. It’s set during the 1932 WS and it features the Yankees as the hero team and the Cubs as the villains.

It’s great to watch with the kids and just look for all the anachronisms and factual errors. For example: both ballparks are shown with lights, even though neither one had them yet; The Cubs use the first base dugout in Wrigley and the Yankees use the one on the third base side.

• Ricko | October 25, 2008 at 4:33 pm |

Cool. Dartmouth v. Columbia on VS. Never seen either of them live before.

Great to finally get a look at those unique, longstanding Dartmouth helmets on actual moving football players.

And they aren’t wearing their green pants, either.

—Ricko

• ShayneM | October 25, 2008 at 4:42 pm |

The Winter classic jerseys will supposedly look like

Paul will love the socks!

• nike bauer hockey equipment | Bookmarks URL | October 25, 2008 at 4:55 pm |

[…] Well, Which Is It? Nike/Bauer stick and Reebok everything else. Odd. But if you look on the other end of the ice, there’s the same stick, but with Vaughn pads. And here it is in college. And this is something completely different, but still the same. … […]

• Patrick S. | October 25, 2008 at 4:58 pm |

Hasn’t Michigan State worn white pants with the broad green stripe all season? They’re just wearing plain white pants today.

• Patrick S. | October 25, 2008 at 5:10 pm |

My bad…apparently the Spartans only wear those pants with the green jerseys. Today, they are all in white. Carry on…

• Jordan Sogn | October 25, 2008 at 7:10 pm |

• mtjaws | October 25, 2008 at 7:28 pm |

Vokoun and the Panthers played awesomely last night. 47 saves (yet not one of the game’s 3 stars) in beating the Sharks.

The Panthers uniforms are growing on me, but they’ll never be as great as the previous ones. Especially with that ugly blue box around Reebok’s neck logo.

• scottp | October 25, 2008 at 7:50 pm |

not that they’re a real team, but I would like to give a nod to the film, The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh. Go Pisces!

Check out that court!!! haha

• LI Phil | October 25, 2008 at 8:21 pm |

TOSU v PSU

uniwise, it doesn’t get much better than this one

• Ricko | October 25, 2008 at 8:41 pm |

In terms of tradtional looks and no “improvements” from nike or adidias (their respective uni providers), Alabama at Tennessee ain’t bad, either.

• Nephew | October 25, 2008 at 8:43 pm |

Photo Here

• Ricko | October 25, 2008 at 8:48 pm |

• Jordan Pope | October 25, 2008 at 9:03 pm |

[quote comment=”296691″]It was nice to see Oklahoma wearing red sleeves under the away jerseys…I’m 99% sure OU has never worn red undershirts in a game. Not sure if they’ll do this at home.

it looks good and picture 2 and 17 is a good view of the Revolution Speed

• Tony Miller | October 25, 2008 at 9:23 pm |

first intermission in chicago…any word on w.c. winter classic uniforms yet?

• Sammy | October 25, 2008 at 9:27 pm |

• Eric B in KC | October 25, 2008 at 9:35 pm |

finally saw a Mizzou punter tonight. the wait was worth it. IVOB?

• LI Phil | October 25, 2008 at 9:51 pm |

game on

• Johnny O | October 25, 2008 at 9:59 pm |

Rant start*

OK, I am sick and tired or things being advertised as, “The capital one halftime show… presented by… capital one.”

And, “The budweiser hot seat… brought to you by… budwesier.”

I am wondering when/why this trend started. Maybe the advertising is good, because I remembered those two off the top of my head… but nevertheless, I hate it.

rant over*

• Beardface | October 25, 2008 at 10:15 pm |

Tampa’s manager, Joe Maddon, is wearing his cap with ear warming flaps tonight…

lol, sorry, it just looks goofy!

• Chris | October 25, 2008 at 10:15 pm |

Does that hat have earflaps? He’s from Hazeltown.

• LI Phil | October 25, 2008 at 10:20 pm |
  • Jonna | October 25, 2008 at 10:20 pm |

lol, sorry, it just looks goofy![/quote]

I agree. The boys of summer shouldn’t have ear flaps!

• fluxcap | October 25, 2008 at 10:32 pm |

• LI Phil | October 25, 2008 at 10:36 pm |

fox with the open mic again…wonder if they’re on like a 2 second delay

• =bg= | October 25, 2008 at 10:41 pm |

[quote comment=”296703″]Rant start*

And, “The budweiser hot seat… brought to you by… budwesier.”

rant over*[/quote]

do NOT get me started. I’m in the driveway on Sunday, washing the car as I usually do, I bring the radio outside to listen to the 49ers- from “the slingbox press box, Joe Starkey and Gary Plummer on the Samsung Niners Radio Network..”

B a r f.

• Walaitis | October 25, 2008 at 10:48 pm |

First, let’s not forget the Cubs in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, or The Babe, or Wrigley Field’s cameo in A League of Their Own.

Secondly, FOX just showed (9:41 Central Time) Matt Garza reading outloud something written on the bill of his cap. Nice to see FOX paying attention to Uniwatch focus items!

• LI Phil | October 25, 2008 at 10:53 pm |

but jim, will they follow it up? they segued into when he (garza) got into it with navarro in june (did that have something to do with what is on the bill???)…

be nice to know what it says (or did i miss that?)…if not, get on that fox

• S. Bennett | October 25, 2008 at 11:13 pm |

[quote comment=”296712″][quote comment=”296711″]FOX just showed (9:41 Central Time) Matt Garza reading outloud something written on the bill of his cap. Nice to see FOX paying attention to Uniwatch focus items![/quote]

be nice to know what it says (or did i miss that?)…if not, get on that fox[/quote]

They said he had the names of his kids written on the underside of the bill.

• LI Phil | October 25, 2008 at 11:18 pm |

[quote]They said he had the names of his kids written on the underside of the bill.[/quote]

thanks…

/what i get for not paying full attention…
    //wonder if they can actually get a shot of the underside of that bill

• LI Phil | October 25, 2008 at 11:39 pm |

[quote comment=”296696″]The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League’s Halifax Mooseheads wore “special” jerseys for Breast Cancer Awareness last night

Photo Here[/quote]

holy shit, i just noticed this…look at the size of that reebok logo

• C.N. | October 25, 2008 at 11:45 pm |

Don’t the Jayhawks always lose when they wear the red tops?[/quote]

Orange Bowl last year over Virginia Tech…?

• The Hemogoblin | October 25, 2008 at 11:51 pm |

Jeremiah Massoli and Ed Dickson were sitting next to each other on the bench, white jerseys, and the underarm portion on Dickson’s uniform was much, much larger.

There’s two refs who are wearing socks with differing sock patterns.

Cole Linehan’s rocking some wicked bad cry black. (so was Texas Tech’s center earlier today)

Nick Reed, rumor has it, wears the grey shirt under his jersey so that his mother can tell which one is him.

White helmet/white jersey/yellow pants… looks good on top and then YEEEEEECH.

Arizona State is in red/red and it looks unitarded. The tape on the belts is black, so it’s hard to differentiate that from the belt itself (as ASU wears a dark red).

The ASU coaching staff’s white polo with red stripes looks sharp.

When did ASU put the interlocked AS on the left hip of the pants?

• LI Phil | October 25, 2008 at 11:59 pm |

[quote comment=”296716″][quote comment=”296671″][quote comment=”296656″]KU wearing the crimson alternates today. Looking pretty sharp IMO.[/quote]

Don’t the Jayhawks always lose when they wear the red tops?[/quote]

Orange Bowl last year over Virginia Tech…?[/quote]

yup

you know mangino was like “WTF is this?”

• The Hemogoblin | October 26, 2008 at 12:06 am |

One more thing…

• Jordan Pope | October 26, 2008 at 12:08 am |

[quote comment=”296719″]One more thing…

ASU uses tridents instead of triangles to denote which side of the field you are on, next to the numbers… hehe.[/quote]

i remember that
    the unitard look must be an arizona thing this week
    UofA is going all red against USC

• The Hemogoblin | October 26, 2008 at 12:11 am |

[quote comment=”296720″][quote comment=”296719″]One more thing…

i remember that
    the unitard look must be an arizona thing this week
    UofA is going all red against USC[/quote]

If they wear those against each other, it’d be the Bloody Vomit Bowl.

• Jordan Pope | October 26, 2008 at 12:12 am |

for those of you wanting an in depth analysis of the Revolution Speed here’s the website

• The Hemogoblin | October 26, 2008 at 12:19 am |

One ASU player has a white belt on… if this was the NFL…

• The Hemogoblin | October 26, 2008 at 12:20 am |

• The Hemogoblin | October 26, 2008 at 12:27 am |

Don’t know if it’s ever been featured, but the white helmet really showcases Oregon’s Todd Doxey memorial decal.

• The Hemogoblin | October 26, 2008 at 12:30 am |

Not-quite-uni-related-notes:

Before a punt tonight in the second quarter, Willie Glasper and Patrick Chung played Rock-Paper-Scissors to see who got to take coverage… Chung lost.

Also, coming back from one of the third quarter commercial breaks in the LSU-Georgia game, there’s a picture of an LSU fan flipping the camera off with his finger on his hat…

• The Hemogoblin | October 26, 2008 at 12:31 am |

USC: Mark Sanchez’s eye black says “mom”.

• The Hemogoblin | October 26, 2008 at 12:34 am |

An ASU fan has his popcorn bag over his face… hahaha… Go Ducks!

• Eric B in KC | October 26, 2008 at 12:35 am |

i believe its the browns and the 49ers, but i thought the steelers also never had screened numbers[/quote]

the niners wore silk screen or heat transfer numbers in their first super bowl.

browns and steelers might be a good guess. maybe colts?

• Eric B in KC | October 26, 2008 at 12:39 am |

• Nick | October 26, 2008 at 12:43 am |

how is Akinori Iwamura’s bat legal? it’s almost completely flat on the end, there isn’t a curve into it

and I was also wondering how is it possible to write on the underside of these newer baseball caps? they’re black so the only way it’d be legible for tv would be a silver sharpie

• The Hemogoblin | October 26, 2008 at 12:44 am |

Hey someone more attentive than me:

How often does a baseball player have the top button of their uniform undone? Tampa’s Chad Bradford is suffering from that affliction right now.

• JTH | October 26, 2008 at 12:47 am |

I was watching the game in a bar tonight, so there was no audio, but it looked like McCarver (or whoever does the telestrations for Fox) circled Jamie Moyer’s Liberty Bell stirrups tonight. Can anyone confirm?

• The Hemogoblin | October 26, 2008 at 12:47 am |

Arizona and Arizona State’s coaching staffs have the same shirt. State’s is maroon striped, while Arizona’s is navy striped.

• Nick | October 26, 2008 at 12:51 am |

in fact, heres a story from last year about how flat Iwamura’s bat is and how it got him in trouble during a game against the Yankees

• Joe D | October 26, 2008 at 12:57 am |

lol, sorry, it just looks goofy![/quote]

I agree. The boys of summer shouldn’t have ear flaps!

If you go to the foxsports.com live feed (well, 2-minute delay feed), one of the camera guys keeps zooming in on the 3rd baseman’s shoes… not quite sure why, though.[/quote]

• Jordan Pope | October 26, 2008 at 12:57 am |

the only time i saw the game was on an update on fsn

• The Hemogoblin | October 26, 2008 at 12:58 am |

lol, sorry, it just looks goofy![/quote]

I agree. The boys of summer shouldn’t have ear flaps!

I can’t tell. Is that a uniform hat worn over a regular hat with ear flaps, or is it a uniform hat altered to have ear flaps?[/quote]

It was disgusting discussed earlier today.

• LI Phil | October 26, 2008 at 12:59 am |

lol, sorry, it just looks goofy![/quote]

I agree. The boys of summer shouldn’t have ear flaps!

from post 76 here

• The Hemogoblin | October 26, 2008 at 1:00 am |

[quote comment=”296737″][quote comment=”296724″]Pretty sure that Patrick Chung has a Riddell Revolution Speed on. I doubt that ANYONE has this game on DVR though… damn.[/quote]

the only time i saw the game was on an update on fsn[/quote]

It’s literally ONLY broadcast on Oregon’s campus.

• The Hemogoblin | October 26, 2008 at 1:01 am |

Bonkers, I’ve bunged up the link.

• Colin | October 26, 2008 at 1:01 am |

The Mets and the Yankees were featured as a sub-plot in a faux-world series in the movie “Bad Lieutenant”.

They show Darryl Strawberry and Gooden (if I recall)in their classic ’86 pinstripes.

• JTH | October 26, 2008 at 1:01 am |

[quote comment=”296700″]Article on NHL.com about Winter Classic, including pictures of uniforms. Indeed, they are the ones leaked, mentioned in a post above. I think they are okay, but a little bit too retro. Like the Philly Eagles throwbacks last season, I just don’t think they will work with modern equipment. The Buffalo and Pittsburgh unis worked so well last season because they were designed, at least, to be worn with pads, gloves, and the modern stuff. These, originally, were sweaters that players wore without hardly any padding, as far as I know.[/quote]
    Wow. Those are the exact jerseys I was hoping both teams would be wearing. And I really don’t see how they could look bad with “pads, gloves and the modern stuff.”

• DJ | October 26, 2008 at 1:05 am |

If you look carefully, you’ll see that they’ll be made of the modern material, and the modern construction. I think that’s why the Hawks didn’t go with the “barberpole” look of the 40s (used in 1992 as the throwback) — Reebok’s new templates can’t handle it. But they can handle one broad stripe around the body, as in the Canadiens’ home jersey.

The numbers the Hawks will wear on the back will be black, with thick white and red edging.

• LI Phil | October 26, 2008 at 1:06 am |

haven’t puckers always worn gloves and pads? (maybe not like the body armor of today, but did they ever just play in like a sweater and bare hands?)

• Joe D | October 26, 2008 at 1:14 am |

lol, sorry, it just looks goofy![/quote]

I agree. The boys of summer shouldn’t have ear flaps!

from post 76 here

looks like a one piece cap with flaps sewn in…also…i don’t think it has the WS logo on it[/quote]

• LarenR | October 26, 2008 at 1:24 am |

[quote comment=”296746″][quote comment=”296739″][quote comment=”296736″][quote comment=”296707″][quote comment=”296704″]Tampa’s manager, Joe Maddon, is wearing his cap with ear warming flaps tonight…

lol, sorry, it just looks goofy![/quote]

I agree. The boys of summer shouldn’t have ear flaps!

from post 76 here

But I just noticed it does show a standard MLB logo when the flaps are turned up[/quote]
    Check this link from post 25 today. (You are forgiven for not noticing…it was posted 14 hours ago!)

• JTH | October 26, 2008 at 1:27 am |

[quote comment=”296745″]haven’t puckers always worn gloves and pads?[/quote]
    Well, the pansies did.

• ASUfanwithbagoverhead | October 26, 2008 at 1:40 am |

There’s two refs who are wearing socks with differing sock patterns.

White helmet/white jersey/yellow pants… looks good on top and then YEEEEEECH.

The ASU coaching staff’s white polo with red stripes looks sharp.

When did ASU put the interlocked AS on the left hip of the pants?[/quote]
    I just got back form that game and I must say it was one of the worst football games i’ve seen, both uni- and footballwise… a zillion turnovers for both teams, white-on-white-on-yellow and maroon-on-maroon.

• Brandon | October 26, 2008 at 1:40 am |

here is the story on Joe Maddon’s hat

• Brandon | October 26, 2008 at 1:41 am |

[quote comment=”296750″]here is the story on Joe Maddon’s hat

looks like he is the only one wearing it. And it does have the WS logo on the left side.[/quote]

Aside from practice yesterday as David Price is wearing it in the photo

• Stuby | October 26, 2008 at 1:44 am |

[quote comment=”296749″][quote comment=”296717″]Interesting notes in a game you can’t see (it’s only on closed circuit on campus):

There’s two refs who are wearing socks with differing sock patterns.

White helmet/white jersey/yellow pants… looks good on top and then YEEEEEECH.

The ASU coaching staff’s white polo with red stripes looks sharp.

When did ASU put the interlocked AS on the left hip of the pants?[/quote]

BTW, I’m pretty sure the AS has been on the hip since they introduced the maroon pants two years ago, i think.[/quote]
    You’re right. I don’t even want to see the highlights of this game…

• Lwiedy | October 26, 2008 at 2:55 am |

[quote comment=”296730″]raiders! i don’t believe the raiders ever wore silk screens. i’ll say raiders and browns.[/quote]

Raiders did in at least 1975, maybe a little before and after, but surely in ’75. Browns did during their uni deviation in the early ’80’s (the Paul MacDonald era).

• Lwiedy | October 26, 2008 at 3:03 am |

the niners wore silk screen or heat transfer numbers in their first super bowl.

browns and steelers might be a good guess. maybe colts?[/quote]

Niners in 1981 were heat transfered, not sure when they switched but by ’84 they were screened.

• Lwiedy | October 26, 2008 at 3:08 am |

the niners wore silk screen or heat transfer numbers in their first super bowl.

browns and steelers might be a good guess. maybe colts?[/quote]

Don’t know if this story had made UW but in 1988, most of the Niners were wearing the narrow sleeve stripes (I think including JM). Montana has told the story that his wife packed his SBXIX jersey for him to take to SBXXIII, which he wore. So JM’s jersey looks a little different than everyone elses in that game.[/quote]

Yup, Joe had switched by then: http://www.checkoutm...
    Here he is in SBXXII with the old jersey: http://i.cdn.turner....(MikePowellGI).jpg
    Kinda cool story, I think!

• Lwiedy | October 26, 2008 at 3:12 am |

[quote comment=”296755″][quote comment=”296754″][quote comment=”296729″][quote comment=”296708″][quote comment=”296697″]Just got to thinking about how the NFL mandated tackle twill numbers a while back. Only two NFL teams never wore silk screened numbers during that time when they were in vogue. Can anyone name them?[/quote]

the niners wore silk screen or heat transfer numbers in their first super bowl.

browns and steelers might be a good guess. maybe colts?[/quote]

Yup, Joe had switched by then: http://www.checkoutm...
    Kinda cool story, I think![/quote]

• The Hemogoblin | October 26, 2008 at 3:19 am |

There’s two refs who are wearing socks with differing sock patterns.

White helmet/white jersey/yellow pants… looks good on top and then YEEEEEECH.

The ASU coaching staff’s white polo with red stripes looks sharp.

When did ASU put the interlocked AS on the left hip of the pants?[/quote]

My condolences… loser comrade.

• Nick | October 26, 2008 at 3:48 am |

Pittsburg Steelers & Oakland Raiders

• Nick | October 26, 2008 at 3:57 am |

[quote comment=”296649″][quote comment=”296644″]here’s a whole list of baseball movies. There’s one on there for the Padres (The Kid From Left Field)
    From that list…
    Houston: Night Game (interesting-looking obscurity!)
    Brooklyn Dodgers: It Happened in Flatbush
    St. Louis Browns: A Winner Never Quits
    St. Louis Cards: The Winning Team
    Detroit: Tiger Town
    Chi Cubs: Elmer the Great[/quote]

ANYONE KNOW THIS MOVIE NAME?

Saw a 1950s movie on AMC or Tuirner Classic about 5 years ago that focused on the drama of Spring Training of the 1950s New York Giants, starring Edward G. Robinson as a fading talent scout or G.M. who needed to produce new talent or his job was in jeapordy.

The climax of the movie was a Spring Training game against the Brooklyn Dodgers where the Giants faced a pitcher that Ed. G. Robinson had cut a week earlier.

A pretty good movie if you like stuff on the old Dodgers and Giants, it appeared to have been filmed at the real Spring Training sites with the actual teams.

ALSO, Since I’m a N.O. Saints fanatic, I love the pretty bad late 1960’s movie titled “NUMBER ONE”, starring Charlton Heston as a washed up 40 year old (Former Champion !!!) QB for the Saints.

The movie really stars the early Saints, the now-gone Tulane Sugar Bowl Stadium, and most of the early Saints team. Lots of late 1960’s New Orleans scenes also, including dozens of players chain-smoking on the team bus as the travel to the game.

• Nick | October 26, 2008 at 4:12 am |

[quote comment=”296759″][quote comment=”296697″]Just got to thinking about how the NFL mandated tackle twill numbers a while back. Only two NFL teams never wore silk screened numbers during that time when they were in vogue. Can anyone name them?[/quote]

Pittsburg Steelers & Oakland Raiders[/quote]

CORRECTION

I’m gonna say that the Steelers are the only team to never have worn silk screen in game. I don’t believe that they ever wore screened numbers.
    I believe they are also the last teanm to wear solid dureen jerseys. DOUBLE KUDOS !!!

Kudos to the Raiders, Browns, 49ers and a few others thar wore twill during the almost exclusive screened number era.

However, it just seems that all of these teams at one time or another wore screened numbers before the most recent trend toward twill. numbers.

Query, do any teams still wear screened numbers, and which was the last to do so? I say the Chargers were the last to wear screened numbers.

I also heard that some of the Giants receivers wore screened numbers only on THE FRONT of their jerseys after the team switched to twill in order to avoid fumbles and to better catch the ball.
    A jersey collector told me awhile back that he bought a Giants gamer like this from MeiGray.

Anyone know if that is true.

• Ricko | October 26, 2008 at 8:16 am |

Pittsburg Steelers & Oakland Raiders[/quote]

That would be, to the best my knowledge and from keeping an eye on it as best I could every season, correct.

—Ricko

• LI Matt | October 26, 2008 at 9:00 am |

[quote comment=”296754″]

Another telltale: his NOB is a different font from everyone else’s (they all have serifs, he doesn’t).

• Ryan Roller | October 26, 2008 at 5:27 pm |

Goalies with one sponsor: Henrik Lundqvist

• Ontario | October 27, 2008 at 1:58 am |

Still haven’t seen any good pics of the Blackhawks/Red Wings outdoor jerseys, well, these earn the right to say that they’re sweaters.