Finally, Team McCain Can Cover Obama

sarahheathstatebb1982_1.jpg

I said this in an earlier Uni Watch story in the spring, but it bears repeating: Do we want a president who’s old, can’t raise his arms very high, and has really only worn one or two uniforms (I’ll give him credit for looking snappy) in his life? Or would you rather have a president who may or may not be able to dunk, but could come a lot closer than the other candidate?

I choose the guy who has game. John McCain must have sensed that, too, because on Friday he went out and got a point guard with a championship pedigree. The democrats have the height, but it looks like Sarah Palin can run between the trees and make things happen. And the game begins … — Bryan

123 comments to Finally, Team McCain Can Cover Obama

• scott | August 30, 2008 at 7:31 am |

Gov. Palin is also a hunter. Some consider that a sport. And she calls herself a hockey mom. Plus her Wikpedia entry has this photo showing her wearing a “Miners: Alaska Baseball League” T-shirt.

The question I have about the presidential candidates is who will do better at throwing first pitches at baseball ganes? Sen. McCain’s handicaps related to his captivity 35 years ago and Sen. Obama’s weaknesses at baseball don’t make it an obvious answer.

• Flip | August 30, 2008 at 8:52 am |

Palin gets points for the T-shirt
    Alaska baseball, though, begins and ends with the guys who wore these
    Though I can’t believe what has happened to this guy.

• DrBear | August 30, 2008 at 9:39 am |

• BS | August 30, 2008 at 9:55 am |

[quote comment=”286832″]Today’s example of Logo Creep: the new Georgia Mascot Uga VII…see if you can find it:[/quote]
    I believe that Nike has swooshified UGA for a while now… VI had it every time I saw him…

If John McCain won and threw out a pitch, I would think that no one would give him crap over throwing it underhand. When you get tortured to the point it starts ripping apart your body, you deserve a little leeway on things like that…

• Stan aka The Took | August 30, 2008 at 10:13 am |

Politics aye? Tomorrow we’ll have abortion and next day gun-control?

• BuckeyeMark | August 30, 2008 at 10:39 am |

• Taha | August 30, 2008 at 10:50 am |

Palin is interesting, but somewhat of a reach. If this were the NFL draft, a sixth-round talent in the first round. Of course, Tom Brady was drafted in the sixth round…

A better running mate (from a uni-perspective) may have been Chad Ocho Cinco. He would have made for some awesome slogans: “ocho cinco in zero ocho”. and counter slogans, “No 2 Ocho Cinco” and the red circle with the line and “ocho cinco”, plus, he appeals to the Latino vote.

• oilfan | August 30, 2008 at 10:55 am |

Looks like the Equipment Manager went Oregon, but letting the players decide what combination to wear.My guess is that it’ll be the white jersey and the green pants.

• Michael | August 30, 2008 at 10:57 am |

I love uni watch but stick to sports and stay out of politics. Bryan, I want to hear your opinions on logo creep and stuff not your thoughts on how old John McCain is.

• Ricko | August 30, 2008 at 11:20 am |

[quote comment=”286835″]watching GameDay as the college fb world gets ready to launch … when did Clemson add/start wearing purple? I just don’t remember as a kid that they wore purple. not trying to start a purple war – it’s a legit question: is purple a long time thing or something they recently added?[/quote]

Clemson’s colors are orange and purple, of course, and their baseball team has long worn purple hats and jerseys. As to football, they went to the purple pants a couple seasons ago (someone has documented the precise year, I’m sure), to all-purple shorty thereafter. Back in the 70s they wore purple helmets (and purple jerseys) with the orange paw print on the helmet (if I’m not mistaken, that’s how the helmet paw print was introduced: orange on purple).

—Ricko

• BuckeyeMark | August 30, 2008 at 11:28 am |

• Ricko | August 30, 2008 at 11:31 am |

OMG, IT’S A MIRACLE !!!

Go to MSN.COM home page and look at little satellite photo of Hurricane Gustav.

I see SANTA !!!

• Joe F | August 30, 2008 at 11:33 am |

Chad finally did it, he legally switched his name to Chad Javon Ocho Cinco

• Chip | August 30, 2008 at 11:34 am |

I’m a former Clemson student, and the purple, until about three years ago, had only been seen a couple times in the history of the program. The players a couple years ago went to Coach Bowden and said that they feel like the purple makes them stand out more and it’s a color for royalty, or something like that, so they wanted to wear it more often. I find myself nearly turning off the TV every time I see them in it, however. Purple is actually our third color, and if you go to the stadium, you will hear the fans chanting “Orange….White” instead of Orange and Purple.

• Ricko | August 30, 2008 at 11:34 am |

Here, see for yourself. Be amazed. LOL

“Santa’s coming??? I KNOW him!”
    –Buddy the Elf

• Jeff | August 30, 2008 at 11:35 am |

Hey Brian,

Ever stop to think McCain’s range of motion might have been affected by some of the positions the VC put him in? Leave the politics out.

• Ricko | August 30, 2008 at 11:37 am |

Didn’t mean to exclud white. But, from Clemson University web site

Authorized academic colors are purple (PMS 268) and orange (PMS 158). These are the only appropriate colors for two-color reproduction of the wordmark, seal and tiger.

The Tiger Paw should be printed only in orange (PMS 165) or white. The two-color version of the athletic wordmark should be reproduced only in orange (PMS 165) and blue (PMS 541).

• Tank | August 30, 2008 at 11:44 am |

• Ricko | August 30, 2008 at 11:52 am |

Besides, if we’re going to make our voting decisions on things like this, I think “whose VP would I rather nail?” takes precedent over “who would I rather play with in a pick-up game?”[/quote]

I’ve always told young people I’ve known (including my kids) to vote for the point person for the philosophy of government you believe in, not who has the prettiest wife, ugliest daughter, best necktie, most impressive record of military service or can throw a 15-yard out.

As far as here, I just ignore the political stuff, whether I agree or not. Sort of like I taught myself to watch an entire Monday Night Football game not hear Howard Cosell. Took some doing, but I mastered it. Finally.

As to opening NCAA football…thought SMU looked pretty good in the harkback look to Eric Dickerson era. Sleeve stripes a bit much, though. Too bad they didn’t play better, always nice to see a program on the rocks come back. Rice was nicely simple in their navy blue, and an interesting choice of stripe pattern on the pants.

—Ricko

• Ricko | August 30, 2008 at 12:02 pm |

btw, wasn’t making light of the potential weather situation with that Santa in the hurricane observation.

I was, however, having a little Saturday fun with those who see what they want to see. Remember an episode of The John LaRoquette Show, the one where he ran the bus station? Everyone was going nuts cuz they thought they’d found Jesus in a stain on the wall of the men’s room. Unfortunately, upon further cleaning, it turned out to be an old poster for a Willie Nelson concert. Hysterical.

—Ricko

• Ricko | August 30, 2008 at 12:06 pm |

Speaking of orange and purple, I’m getting the Syracuse-Northwestern game on “The Deuce”. Syracuse roads look great. Plus, NW really into white tape on black shoes, so get a sort of “throwback” feel watching it.

• Ricko | August 30, 2008 at 12:16 pm |

• Johnny Poontang | August 30, 2008 at 12:19 pm |

I guess the term “tongue planted firmly in cheek” is lost on you whiners. Bryan, funny entry. Not my cup of tea, but whatever. “Leave the politics out of it”? Please, get a life, people.

• John | August 30, 2008 at 12:29 pm |

1) Pl;ease keep the politics out of here. I come to sites like this so I can escape the crap.

2) That being said, I am not a McCain lover, but DO NOT knock him because he can’t raise his arms. He was injured by the VC and deserves at the very least a mulligan on that extremely minor point.

• Dustin | August 30, 2008 at 12:30 pm |

I agree with the tongue planted in cheek comment. It’s just like the national media talking how Barack bowled really bad, which we found out was only a partial game. Thankfully, we’re in a free country where statements like those of Bryan in the main column and those of us in these replies are allowed.

On a uni-related note, I don’t have a screen capture, unfortunately, but the University of Wisconsin has three “Jones” players, two with a first initial of “D.” On Daven Jones’ (13) jersey (found early in the first quarter of the Badger game on a sideline shot), it is “Da. Jones” with the “a” as a small cap. I haven’t seen any of the other Jones to confirm what the others are doing.

• Bryan Redemske | August 30, 2008 at 12:39 pm |

• Jamie | August 30, 2008 at 12:43 pm |

Okay, she’s not that hot.

All I’ll say about the politics is that, for me, the idea of her being veep turns McCain’s age and health from a minor issue into a huge one.

As for SMU, I thought they looked great. Uni-wise, I mean. Other than that, the new era at SMU looks somewhat familiar…

• Johnny Poontang | August 30, 2008 at 12:46 pm |

[quote comment=”286856″]Jesus … I pity some of you and your inability to spot a joke when it punches you in the face.

You’re just lucky the wire didn’t have any pictures of painted-up high school kids. (It’s coming tomorrow, by the way.)[/quote]

Perhaps the problem, Bryan, may be in the fact that your brand of humor is a bit too, shall we say, advanced for some of the folk that visit this site?

• odessa steps magazin | August 30, 2008 at 12:48 pm |

Bryan,

you should have just made the post and then closed the comments.

• Dustin | August 30, 2008 at 12:56 pm |

[quote comment=”286859″]Bryan,

you should have just made the post and then closed the comments.

Someone I know had a great question about the Chad 85 situation. What happens if he ends up on another team and someone already has his number? Guys pay out the nose for a number just because they have lots of jewlery with that number. Imagine how much chad will pay.[/quote]

My guess is that he’ll try to talk to the organization or the person for whom it’s retired and stop at nothing to be able to wear it. I think that was done recently in San Francisco in the QB position (sorry for few details), though I doubt that anyone would really be too willing to have their number temporarily unretired for a reason like that.

• Dustin | August 30, 2008 at 1:01 pm |

• Mr. Met | August 30, 2008 at 1:05 pm |

reason like that.[/quote]

• James | August 30, 2008 at 1:09 pm |

I don’t think that rule applies to names.

• Mr. Met | August 30, 2008 at 1:15 pm |

[quote comment=”286860″]There was a story in SI a while back about this, and how one year Eli Manning paid Jeff Feagles off for #10 and then the next year Plaxico Burress did the same thing for Feagles’ #17. I think he may have pulled away with about six figures worth of goods and trips.[/quote]

I think Eli paid for a deck addition to Feagle’s house and Plax paid for his family to go to Disney……

• Dustin | August 30, 2008 at 1:27 pm |

[quote comment=”286863″][quote comment=”286861″]It’s also sad that the Associated Press writer or editor wouldn’t at least put a “[sic]” after the “Ocho Cinco” even when referencing that it’s a Spanish reference, especially since it’s not a correct direct translation (especially when the story is coming from Florida, where Spanish isn’t uncommon).[/quote]

I don’t think that rule applies to names.[/quote]

Call me old fashioned, but I did see an old article about Earl Lambeau with “Curley” between the first and last name, spelled that exact way (which later on was spelled “Curly”) with the [sic] designation. Now, this was 190x in the Green Bay newspapers when he was captain of Green Bay East High’s football team.

And, though it’s Wikipedia, they say, “Sic is a Latin word meaning “thus”, “so”, “as such”, or “just as that”. In writing, it is placed within square brackets and usually italicized—[sic]—to indicate that an incorrect or unusual spelling, phrase, punctuation, and/or other preceding quoted material has been reproduced verbatim from the quoted original and is not a transcription error.”

I think this would be a fitting case. I would agree with anyone that would call it some sort of crazy if they were the ones on that beat and had to do it for each and every game recap, etc. I do believe that some of the first coverage of the name change should at least bring attention to it, though.

• Dustin | August 30, 2008 at 1:32 pm |

Sorry for the message board clogging guys, I just have a strong opinion of that stuff, consider me dropping that subject.

Back on Clemson and Ricko’s post, how many universities have different colors for their academics and athletics, like our Clemson example?
    [quote comment=”286847″]Didn’t mean to exclud white. But, from Clemson University web site

• Tank | August 30, 2008 at 1:36 pm |

[quote comment=”286857″]Okay, she’s not that hot.[/quote]

I was talking about Biden.

The problem isn’t that people can’t spot a poorly-crafted joke, the problem is Bryan’s uncanny ability to post topics that have nothing to do with uniforms.

• Andy | August 30, 2008 at 1:47 pm |

[quote comment=”286830″]And she calls herself a hockey mom.[/quote]

Some consider that a sport.

Sorry…

• Tom Farley | August 30, 2008 at 1:48 pm |

• Tom Farley | August 30, 2008 at 1:53 pm |

Ricko, I was happy to see my Wildcats dump the black that Barnett added to the uniforms.

• Johnny Poontang | August 30, 2008 at 2:00 pm |

[quote comment=”286868″]the comment about McCain’s arms is a disgrace. If you were indeed “joking” I suppose you also find handicapped children to be a laugh riot.[/quote]

Nope, just painted-up high school kids……

• scott | August 30, 2008 at 2:00 pm |

Virginia Tech’s white uniforms look nice enough. I think there should be a more pronounced stripe on the white pants, though.

• Tom Farley | August 30, 2008 at 2:06 pm |

I agree, Scott. I didn’t like the width of, say, the Montana-era 49ers pant stripe, but the Hokies need a little more stripe than that. That one looks like a stray thread.

• Bryan Redemske | August 30, 2008 at 2:12 pm |

I was talking about Biden.

Seriously, Chad Johnson changes his name to Ocho Cinco, and we get a post on Sarah Palin? Talk about failing to spot something that punches you in the face.[/quote]

• =bg= | August 30, 2008 at 2:13 pm |

[quote comment=”286862″][quote comment=”286860″]My guess is that he’ll try to talk to the organization or the person for whom it’s retired and stop at nothing to be able to wear it. I think that was done recently in San Francisco in the QB position (sorry for few details), though I doubt that anyone would really be too willing to have their number temporarily unretired for a
    reason like that.[/quote]

To build on the San Francisco scenario, I think it was Trent Dilfer who wanted to use #12, which was retired for John Brodie. Dilfer I think wanted to make some statement/tribute towards Brodie and getting him elected to the HoF, and actually received Brodie’s permission to unretire the number.[/quote]

That is exactly correct.

• =bg= | August 30, 2008 at 2:15 pm |

[quote comment=”286860″][quote comment=”286859″]Bryan,

you should have just made the post and then closed the comments.

You are right about what he’ll have to pay, especially if it’s a younger player who knows what he’s doing (it’ll take even more for a good veteran to give it up). There was a story in SI a while back about this, and how one year Eli Manning paid Jeff Feagles off for #10 and then the next year Plaxico Burress did the same thing for Feagles’ #17. I think he may have pulled away with about six figures worth of goods and trips.[/quote]

I think he got himself a new backyard barbeque out of the deal, at least for one of those.

PS, it’s Photoshopped, but whatever:

• Tom Farley | August 30, 2008 at 2:18 pm |

Am I recalling correctly that Dilfer is Brodie’s son-in-law? I know that Brodie’s son-in-law also is/was an NFL quarterback.

• DR | August 30, 2008 at 2:21 pm |

reason like that.

That is exactly correct.

If memory serves Dilfer is Brodie’s Son-In-Law

• =bg= | August 30, 2008 at 2:23 pm |

nope on the son in law;

• Tom Farley | August 30, 2008 at 2:25 pm |

Chris Chandler is Brodie’s son-in-law.

• Johnny Poontang | August 30, 2008 at 2:32 pm |

I was talking about Biden.

If you want to read about Chad Johnson, go to ESPN.com. I’m sure you’ll find plenty of coverage there. If you want see Sarah Palin in a basketball uniform, this is the place.[/quote]

Plus wasn’t this discussed ad nauseum in the comments section yesterday? Chad Johnson changed his name to Ocho Cinco. OK, and? We’ve seen his uniform with the name already. OK, and? I mean, like yesterday, we can discuss what Roger Goodell is going to do to prevent it, or whether it should be “ochenta y cinco” as opposed to “ocho cinco”, or whether he needs judicial permission in order to change his name, but seriously, what else is there to discuss about it?

• Todd | August 30, 2008 at 2:43 pm |

[link]http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ap_bush_080617_ssv.jpg[/link]

Can she post-up this guy?

• jeag | August 30, 2008 at 2:44 pm |

[quote comment=”286870″]So which is the more unfortunate soccer name: Nicky Butt (Newcastle) or Kaka (AC Milan)?[/quote]

I’ll go with Butt, although I liked it better when he wore #4. His shirt begged the question, “What’s a Butt 4?”

• Mark in Shiga | August 30, 2008 at 2:48 pm |

Love the Ocho Cinco! If soccer reporters can handle Jan Venegoor of Hesselink, football reorters can handle Chad Ocho Cinco. How about putting a dash in the middle — “Ocho-Cinco” — so that it looks lime Family #8 married Family #5?

On a completely unrelated note, here’s another entry in the “badly-centered uni number” contest: Pirates coach Tony Beasley, who has to blouse the thing out just to keep the number from going inside his pants. There’s plenty of room up by the collar for that useless MLB logo; dump that thing!

(That he’s wearing the red vest only makes the silliness stand out more!)

• gsaldi | August 30, 2008 at 2:50 pm |

[quote comment=”286852″]So…what’s the initial reaction to Va Tech’s roads now that we can see them in play?[/quote]

i don’t care too much for the shoulder/underarm. Looks sort of like a patch or something. should just be solid white.

vt should also go with the orange for a sold home color for the jersey.

• =bg= | August 30, 2008 at 2:58 pm |

[quote comment=”286881″]Chris Chandler is Brodie’s son-in-law.

One of the great nicknames ever for the fragile, always hurt QB: Chris Chandle-lier.

• Tom Farley | August 30, 2008 at 3:01 pm |

Ha! I didn’t know that was his number. Apparently, I never got past seeing the name “Butt” on the back of the shirt.

Meanwhile, it’s good to see Dean Windass back in the Premiership …

• Dustin | August 30, 2008 at 3:02 pm |

[quote comment=\”286885\”]On a completely unrelated note, here\’s another entry in the \”badly-centered uni number\” contest: Pirates coach Tony Beasley, who has to blouse the thing out just to keep the number from going inside his pants. There\’s plenty of room up by the collar for that useless MLB logo; dump that thing!

(That he\’s wearing the red vest only makes the silliness stand out more!)[/quote]
    Also, I have another reason not to like Nike. Pittsburgh wears Nike\’s undershirts and they\’re not one solid color. If a player were to go without fully buttoning up, it just doesn\’t look as good with multiple colors under the main uni.

• hugh.c.mcbride | August 30, 2008 at 3:08 pm |

As a firm proponent of the “it’s their blog, they have the right to say what they want” philosophy, I’ve always avoided the “Brian is/isn’t an insensitive moron” debates that occur here just about every weekend. But something about today’s post — & some of the comments that followed it — got a bit under my skin. Bryan: You made what I and apparently at least a few others here thought was a bad joke about a guy whose mobility is limited because he was tortured. Making that bad joke doesn’t make you a scumbag, jackass, or jerk — just a guy who made a bad joke. And those of us who don’t agree with it are neither too stoopid to spot the humor nor too unsophisticated to understand it — we got it, & just didn’t think it was anything approaching funny.

• Daniel | August 30, 2008 at 3:25 pm |

Note from the BGSU @ PITT game, #99 from BGSU had the right 9 on the back of his helmet applied over the warning decal. Also PITT has a 250 decal on the back of their helmets.

• Johnny Poontang | August 30, 2008 at 3:30 pm |

[quote comment=”286890″]To all concerned: How’s about we show a smidgen more respect for the individuals with whom we may not agree? Don’t mean to get all “kumbaya” on us here, but I think that eschewing the ad hominem attacks & embracing the fact that “disagree” doesn’t have to mean “dislike” could do us all (here in UW & out there in the ‘real world’) a whole lotta good.[/quote]

Great post. I agree that too many times a few characters on this site get the computer equivalent of liquid courage and decide to act like keyboard tough guys when in the “real world” they wouldn’t dream of doing it if they ran into some of us in a dark alley.

• mike 2 | August 30, 2008 at 3:40 pm |

[quote comment=”286838″]The Edmonton Eskimos are throwing another curve with their uniforms – they’ll be wearing green helmets for the Labour Day game in Calgary and the back end of the home and home in Edmonton next Friday.

Thanks for the tip – I’ll be at the game Monday

• mike 2 | August 30, 2008 at 3:43 pm |

So what the heck is Chad Johnson’s name now?

• Mr. Met | August 30, 2008 at 3:53 pm |

[quote comment=”286894″]So what the heck is Chad Johnson’s name now?

If it’s Chad Ocho Cinco, and the NFL wants to be rulebound about it, couldn’t they make him wear just “Cinco” on his jersey? Is Ocho his new middle name? Or is “Ocho Cinco” like “Van Pelt” and he gets to wear both of them.[/quote]

Ocho Cinco would be like Van Pelt. He changed his surname, Johnson, to Ocho Cinco. His middle name is Javon.

• Frank from B-more | August 30, 2008 at 4:25 pm |

I was talking about Biden.

No doubt, I appreciate the off-the-beaten path uni stuff. As has been said a bunch on this site, it’s y’alls page we are all guests. Thanks for having us.

• Ricko | August 30, 2008 at 4:33 pm |

One thing’s sure: If Chad Johnson changed his name as an attention-getting device (which we all know is the case), it’s working.

How ’bout we ignore everything except his performance ON the field? Stop giving that self-absorbed blowhard what he wants?

You’d think guys like he and T.O. would learn from the Randy Moss Scenario: Shut up, play and look how much better things go.

• Ricko | August 30, 2008 at 4:38 pm |

And don’t go on about how “the Patriots are a better team.” Yes, they are. BUT, if you can offer some evidence that Ocho Cinco’s antics, such as being able to put “OCHO CINCO” on his jersey without fear of sanction (Oh, I’m sure he’ll play MUCH better with THAT burden off his mind) are helping make the Bengals better, I’ll be happy to pay you.

• Johnny O | August 30, 2008 at 5:13 pm |

• mjb77 | August 30, 2008 at 5:14 pm |

• Kek | August 30, 2008 at 5:42 pm |

[quote comment=”286900″]Another note from the Pitt-BGSU game: when I was on the field, I noticed that the Falcons use at least two different fonts on nameplates. No pictures, unfortunately, but one has serifs and the other does not.[/quote]
    I was at that game, and the debacle that it was (really, don’t get me started). I saw two uni-related things:

Pitt safety Dom DeCicco had a unique NOB as it read “DeCICCO”. It was a lowercase “e”. Never saw that before, it’s normally a smaller “E” than the rest of the nameplate.

Mick Williams (I think) was sporting FNOB but I think he did last year as well.

• AP | August 30, 2008 at 6:06 pm |

I was talking about Biden.

If you want to show a picture of Palin in a uniform, go for it–it’s timely and appropriate. I just don’t get how made the leap in your mind from Palin in a uni to making fun of McCain for his not being able to raise his arms due to extreme torture for 5 years.

• Bryan Redemske | August 30, 2008 at 6:39 pm |

I was talking about Biden.

Making fun of torture victims is really classy. And don’t pretend that we just don’t get your humor. I get it. It’s just not funny.[/quote]

It’s not that he can’t raise his arms because of torture, it’s that he can’t raise his arms — and therefore would be a liability on perimeter defense. And that’s why he needs a scrappy guard.

Who cares about torture? We’re talking about basketball here. Duh.

• Taha | August 30, 2008 at 6:47 pm |

it’s common to call players by their digits rather than number, “eight five” instead of “eighty-five”. this has been discussed before on this blog. although not today. I’m not being critical, you aren’t expected to read every post every day. if he wanted to be “eighty-five”, he would have been ochenta-cinco (forgive my spelling, i understand,speak and read spanish, but never formally studied it), but he wants to be “eight five”

• MPowers1634 | August 30, 2008 at 7:02 pm |

Why is Michigan playing against both the Utes and the Terps today?

• AP | August 30, 2008 at 7:05 pm |

[quote comment=”286903″][quote comment=”286902″][quote comment=”286875″][quote comment=”286867″][quote comment=”286857″]Okay, she’s not that hot.[/quote]

I was talking about Biden.

Who cares about torture? We’re talking about basketball here. Duh.[/quote]

Yeah, like I said, I get your humor. You were trying to make a basketball joke. But you can’t be so callous as to separate his condition from its cause. It would be like going to visit your elderly grandpa in the hospital who has serious brain damage after suffering a stroke and saying, “Well, I don’t want you on my team for Trivial Pursuit anymore!”

Not funny. Not classy.

This site is supposed to be about uniforms, not politics or tasteless jokes.

• DJ | August 30, 2008 at 8:24 pm |

Kaka (accent on the last \”a\”) got his name because his younger brother couldn\’t pronounce his real name (Ricardo) when he was a toddler.

• nomuskles | August 30, 2008 at 8:31 pm |

Michigan State isn’t wearing the pants with a stripe. Their white pants with white jerseys are stripe-free.

• D | August 30, 2008 at 8:33 pm |

Haven’t seen it mentioned yet in today’s comments, but Chattanooga is wearing gold unis at Oklahoma today. Not too familiar with Chattanooga’s football team. Do they not have a road jersey, or was this something special from them?

• Jordan Pope | August 30, 2008 at 8:38 pm |

there were some major decal problems for Washington State today

to go along with the loss :(

• Cosmo | August 30, 2008 at 8:41 pm |

Mich. St./Cal notes:
    1. Not a fan of the new Cal unis.

• MPowers1634 | August 30, 2008 at 8:47 pm |

Not only is LSU one of the National Football powers, their uniforms are Magnificent!

And who else thinks that LaTech looks like Florida’s throwbacks?

VaTech’s whites looked pretty good today!

• Teebz | August 30, 2008 at 8:47 pm |

Hmmm… quick read through the comments today, and all I see is:

– “boohoo”
    – “whaaaaaaaaaa”
    – “don’t rag on my political leader”
    – Bryan explaining the joke far too many times for far too many people who committed the above comments.
    – “ocho cinco”
    – “who the hell cares about eight-five”

I think that pretty much sums it up. Meet me in the dark alley later. I’ll make sure you see stars.

Bryan, keep up the good work. No one is making fun of his injuries. Bryan simply tied the photo of Palin to something current.

I’d guarantee that you’d all bitch and complain if he had simply wrote: “Here’s Palin in her balling days. Note the underwhelming uniforms.”

“Is that the best you got Bryan?”
    “WTF? This is Uni Watch, Bryan!”
    “Don’t you dare talk about Palin that way!”

What a joke.

• cah | August 30, 2008 at 8:50 pm |

1. Sarah Palin is hot. Not experienced, but definitely hott.

2. I believe it is time for the Bengals to retire Isaac Curtis’s number.

• Dan from PC | August 30, 2008 at 9:12 pm |

I really am sick to death of people on high horses running through here so shocked and upset at Bryan and/or Paul’s jokes. “Don’t make fun of kids…don’t make light of torture.” When did this hyper-sensitivity start? Unbelievable.

• Tom Farley | August 30, 2008 at 9:18 pm |

Kaka (accent on the last \\”a\\”) got his name because his younger brother couldn\\’t pronounce his real name (Ricardo) when he was a toddler.

Well, he chose that as his soccer “stage name,” in the Brazilian tradition of Socrates, Zico, Ronaldo and Pele. I knew the correct pronunciation.

Having seen the brilliance of his play, I’d want him on my team whatever his name.

• ChrisSh | August 30, 2008 at 9:37 pm |

Um, wow, this site is just… I remember less than a year ago every day was full of all kinds of readers making intelligent comments about uniforms. Now it’s just a contest to see how many people Bryan can piss off and then say oh, whoops, that was offensive? And when he doesn’t post, it’s just the same five or six people sharing the same opinion and jumping on any outsiders who disagree. What a difference a year makes… :(

• Skycat | August 30, 2008 at 9:42 pm |

[quote comment=”286913″]So Bryan made a poorly thought out joke. Cut the guy some slack. I bet every single one of you has said/written something that you thought was funny, but others disagreed. Lay off Bryan.

Mich. St./Cal notes:
    1. Not a fan of the new Cal unis.
    2. If Mich. St. added a white stripe to their green pants, then why no green stripe on the white pants?[/quote]
    I had to turn my eyes when I saw the Cal unis. I know there’s gonna be a lot of competition for worst unis, but Cal’s is near the top of my list.

By the way, I know this is a site devoted to uniforms, but I’m not offended if a stray political remark finds its way into the conversation. At this time of year, it’s difficult to avoid politics, so maybe we should just get used to it.

• Alan | August 30, 2008 at 9:47 pm |

can anyone direct me to the link to the guys site who sells the MLB uniform database on cd-rom or by email…i cant seem to find the link in any of the archives and forget the guys name who did it…I finally want to purchase it and now I cant find it…Thanks

• Johnny Poontang | August 30, 2008 at 10:28 pm |

Not funny. Not classy.[/quote]

Actually, that was pretty funny. Maybe not classy, but funny.

• Cainan Cornelius | August 30, 2008 at 10:29 pm |

[quote comment=”286857″][quote comment=”286848″]Uh, McCain can’t raise his arms very high because they were broken in the POW camp and not set properly.

Okay, she’s not that hot.

[/quote]

I would.

• Johnny Poontang | August 30, 2008 at 10:34 pm |

[quote comment=”286922″][quote comment=”286906″]It would be like going to visit your elderly grandpa in the hospital who has serious brain damage after suffering a stroke and saying, “Well, I don’t want you on my team for Trivial Pursuit anymore!”

Not funny. Not classy.[/quote]

Actually, that was pretty funny. Maybe not classy, but funny.[/quote]

Also, should we be having a conversation on classiness on a website where pictures of grown men wearing stripes on their socks is considered “classy”?

• Greg | August 30, 2008 at 10:40 pm |

[quote comment=”286905″]Why is Michigan playing against both the Utes and the Terps today?

The better half must be in College Park, cuz the Utes are handing them their hats![/quote]
    Im not sure if you’re joking or not….I hope so…but thats Delaware playing Maryland.

If you’re not joking, then I just got clowned.

• Ricko | August 30, 2008 at 10:42 pm |

Gophers new unis didn’t look that bad, but not that good either, just sorta…there. They wore maroon (real maroon, not the burgundy they’ve worn most of time since Lou Holtz left) over gold so it was a look we’ve seen for some time. The meandering piping is sorta ineffectual, especially on the pants, wandering here and there with no apparent rhyme nor reason (in that respect kinda like the pants on the Korean Olympic baseball team). But, hey, contrary to what seems to have been their tendancy since the last century, they actually won a close one.

Mississippi State, completely in white including high socks with a couple maroon stripes, had a little bit of semi-old school going, too.

So far eems like this year the overall look is either the new designs with piping and ad hoc decoration or very basic, classic no-frills. Lots of TV numbers have vanished. And, of coure, the traditionals like USC, Alabama and Penn State.

Anyone seen what combo Oregon’s wearing tonight? I’m not getting that game.

—Ricko
    (P.S. A’s wearing black vs. Twins tonight.)

• Eric B in KC | August 30, 2008 at 10:42 pm |

i like bryan’s posts. they’re something different for the weekend when people are supposed to relax a little. it seems some people can’t decompress.

the potential VPILF in a basketball uni? cool. too many former baseball and football players in office. let’s mix it up some.

• MaddMatt | August 30, 2008 at 10:44 pm |

Please no politics here, no matter how unrelated they are. Unless it’s a politician wearing a jersey, or playing sports, ect, I don’t wanna see it here.

• Johnny O | August 30, 2008 at 10:58 pm |

Untuck of the uni’s means another Brewers victory!

• Ricko | August 30, 2008 at 11:03 pm |

Anyone here have a daughter (or daughters)? Politics aside, it’s kinda cool to know that a woman is going to be running for Vice President and the fact that she had a high school basketball career isn’t going to (or certainly shouldn’t) generate any questions about her femininity…as it would have generation or two ago.

That is very, very good thing. And is part of why today’s photo was also a very, very good thing to see.

• BurghFan | August 30, 2008 at 11:04 pm |

• Dustin | August 30, 2008 at 11:23 pm |

No picture, but #30 on Washington has a large part of his helmet peeling off. No just the W logo, but the actual plain gold part.

• Flip | August 30, 2008 at 11:35 pm |

Forget Oregon, is there an uglier uniform/helmet combination in Division I than Cal?

• Flip | August 30, 2008 at 11:36 pm |

(Michigan State looks great in its stripeless whites.)

• Johnny O | August 30, 2008 at 11:38 pm |

Want to talk about passionate sports fans? I think Wisconsin fans earn the title of most passionate.
    Here is a great article…

• Dustin | August 30, 2008 at 11:41 pm |

[quote comment=”286899″]Have Utah’s helmets always been this sparkly? To be honest I don’t follow Utah football as much as I would like, so maybe this has been going on for a while.[/quote]

Most teams have had metallic flakes in their helmet paint lately, though it’s not always easy to notice, depending on the light source and proximity of you/camera to the helmet. Almost all teams that I can think of have metallic/sparkled helmets. For example, the Packers have some type of sparkly paint, it’s just not THAT visible. I can’t say for sure, but I think only the white (and maybe black?) helmets aren’t sparkly.

Helmet paint chipping alert: near the middle of the second quarter of UW vs. Oregon, during the footage around the replay of Paul Homer’s TD for UW, it showed a HUGE chunk of paint off of Homer’s helmet, semi-reminiscent of the Packers-Giants NFC Championship game.

• Chuck | August 31, 2008 at 12:03 am |

Minnesota Gophers jerseys are just PLUG UGLY! those apron strings are aweful!

• svh | August 31, 2008 at 12:15 am |

I was at the Round Rock Express (Astros’ AAA Affiliate) game tonight, and they were wearing their road alternate jerseys (gray vests) with their home pants (white) at a home game. Sorry, no pics. I’m guessing this was because of a game-used jersey raffle taking place after the game, but does anyone know why it was the road alternates they were wearing?

• Jonee | August 31, 2008 at 12:22 am |

It amuses me how, every other week, Bryan’s snarky post elicits outrage, analysis, a “lighten up, everyone,” followed by shrugs. Continuing with that, I think the joke’s concept was funny, but something was lost in the execution. Maybe a more direct approach, rather than subtle would have worked.
    Anyway, thought Mizzou looked good tonight.

• kj | August 31, 2008 at 12:41 am |

Saw this bumper sticker on a car in the parking lot of my hotel in Miami when I returned from the Mets/Marlins game tonight. Anyone know what it is?

• Brandon | August 31, 2008 at 12:43 am |

Just got home from the USF game here in Tampa(sorry, no pics didn’t want to risk the camera in the weather) I wasn’t sure about the switch to UA after seeing what happened with Maryland and East Coast USC. I know there have been some changes but they are hardly noticable from mid way up the lower bowl. With the intermittent rain I couldn’t really tell if the colors changed with sweat/water marks.
    If you liked USF Unis before they did a good job with the switch. Nothing outlandish or garish.

• Eric B in KC | August 31, 2008 at 12:56 am |

[quote comment=”286939″]Anyway, thought Mizzou looked good tonight.[/quote]

the offense looked good, the d needs help in the secondary, witherspoon’s a beast and the yellow pants are still ugly as sin.

btw…penn state’s big, bright white helmets on the blue jerseys make the players look like bobbleheads dolls to me.

• Dre_lo | August 31, 2008 at 1:18 am |

Personally, I think Uniwatch would be much better without his attempts at being funny, witty, (inster here _______ anything else Bryan is trying to be), etc.

Paul… I know you don’t get back until Tuesday but hopefully you (or maybe even Bryan himself) could set up a poll?

Have a safe holiday weekend everyone!

• Dre_lo | August 31, 2008 at 1:23 am |

Damn! I wish I could spell properly!

“Insert” is supposed to be “Insert”!

• Eric B in KC | August 31, 2008 at 1:34 am |

[quote comment=”286944″]”Insert” is supposed to be “Insert”![/quote]

it is

• Jeff P | August 31, 2008 at 2:19 am |

[quote comment=”286943″]Speaking of Politics… I have an idea. Let’s vote on whether Bryan should resign as the “detractor” to Uniwatch blog.

Have a safe holiday weekend everyone![/quote]

Honestly, give it up. Bryan isn’t going anywhere.

Really, get a sense of humor or don’t read it. If you don’t like snarky jokes (many of us do thank you) feel free to not visit on the weekends. The comments section will not miss you.

• Brandon | August 31, 2008 at 2:47 am |

Another thing I noticed at the game tonight (USF v UTenn-Martin) was UTM’s uniforms I seem to recall it mentioned here before but Tennessee Martins Unis are damn close to Auburn before the switch to Under Armor. Only difference I could see was instead of an Auburn helmet decal they had UTM on the sides.

• Cosmo | August 31, 2008 at 3:34 am |

Ricko, Oregon wore Green/Green tonight.

• Nick | August 31, 2008 at 4:11 am |

[quote comment=”286871″]Speaking of orange and purple, I’m getting the Syracuse-Northwestern game on “The Deuce”. Syracuse roads look great. Plus, NW really into white tape on black shoes, so get a sort of “throwback” feel watching it

As a Northwestern alum, I cannot share the purple hatred here, but if anyone wants to malign the mid-’90s combination of purple helmets, black jerseys and purple pants I’ll pile on.[/quote]

Northwestern with their Purple/white only unis of recent years probably has the best use of purple in a football uni in years.

• Samuel Lam | August 31, 2008 at 4:47 am |

Vince Young was at the Texas game with his numbered retired. But since he is a Reebok guy, he had to tape over Nike logo on his Texas polo

• Bryan Redemske | August 31, 2008 at 10:25 am |

Have a safe holiday weekend everyone![/quote]

Hmmm … you must be thinking of a democracy. You’re in the wrong place.

• Geeman | August 31, 2008 at 4:34 pm |

[quote comment=”286841″]thanks Ricko. really did not remember any purple – my earliest recollection of Clemson (maybe the win over Nebraska?) was all orange. orange helmet with the cool paw print on it in white.[/quote]
    Clemson broke out purple jerseys in 1991 against N.C. State and wore them in a losing Citrus Bowl effort against Cal that year. Their basketball team used to wear navy blue (“purple”) uniforms all the time.

• Jordan Pope | August 31, 2008 at 9:30 pm |

[quote comment=”286948″][quote comment=\”286926\”]Anyone seen what combo Oregon\’s wearing tonight? I\’m not getting that game.[/quote]

Ricko, Oregon wore Green/Green tonight.
    Patrick Chung, listed on the roster with #15, was wearing a NNOB #29 jersey. Was he close to Todd Doxey, and this was his tribute?[/quote]

you would be correct
    a different player each week will wear #29

• jockstrap | August 31, 2008 at 10:10 pm |

Sorry if this was alreay talked about, but the Univ. of Idaho had a logo, well, right in the crack of their ass.

Sorry, no pics…is that good or bad?

• Timothy Hernandez | September 1, 2008 at 9:19 pm |

Bryan, I’m sure you must already know this or else you wouldn’t have mentioned it, but McCain can’t lift his arms above his shoulders because he spent five years in the Hanoi Hilton. What have you done in service of your country? Pick your nose? Scratch your nuts? I’d be willing to bet John McCain could still kick your tail. Please do us all a favor and shut yer yap about McCain, Obama, Palin, and anything else your clearly unqualified to speak about until further notice. Jeez, what a dolt!

• Kevin from Ohio in Virginia | September 2, 2008 at 10:37 am |

Paul,

I recognize that this is your blog, and I recognize that we don’t have a vote or even a say in the matter, but my request is for a firm “NO POLITICS” policy in both the posts and the comments.

You know, no matter whether BR posted with malicious intent (HIGHLY unlikely) or with complete doe-eyed innocence (also HIGHLY unlikely), it comes back to the fact that half the population is not going to appreciate any political joke, regardless of how funny it is. Readers come here to talk unis, not presidential politics.

Understanding the context of Bryan’s joke about McCain’s arm-raising abilities is not difficult. He was talking about defensive skills. Whatever. Still in EXTREMELY poor taste. I wouldn’t make cracks about someone’s crippled grandmother running marathons, either. Add to it the fact that it’s a result of heroic military service as a POW, as many other readers pointed out, and it should become significantly less funny than it already wasn’t, regardless of your political affiliation.