Pond Scrum

pond.jpg

Three readers have gotten in touch over the past few days to tell me that they attended the U.S. Pond Hockey Championships, which took place last weekend in Minneapolis. If you’re not familiar with this event, allow Anna Rajdl to explain:

Pond hockey is played outdoors with teams of six (four on the ice at a time) playing a condensed version of hockey. There are no goalies or nets; instead, there are small boxes on both ends with two holes. To score, you must shoot the puck into one of the two small holes. It’s pretty popular here in Minnesota, but teams from all around the country and Canada come to play in this tournament — it’s kind of like the World Series or Super Bowl of pond hockey. To add to the excitement, the average high last weekend was minus-3, so it was darn cold.

Anna took a bunch of excellent photos that capture the range of uniforms in the tourney, some of them fairly traditional, others less so. You can see the full set in this slideshow. That’s her shot at the top of today’s page, too. (The tournament’s web site has its own photo gallery, but their pics frankly aren’t as good as Anna’s.)

Jeff Barak attended the tournament, too. He didn’t take any pics (“With a wind chill of minus-19, I wasn’t about to take my gloves off to hold a metal camera”), but he did point me toward this great video clip, which nicely captures the homespun feel of the pond hockey scene. (For those who want more, there’s an additional video here, but it’s not as good.)

Also on hand was Carl Schneeman, who created this collage of photos from the tournament.

Meanwhile, I just learned that there’s another kind of pond hockey, which involves playing under the ice. The “What the fuck..?” factor is pretty much off the scale on this one, so I’ll just shut up and let you see for yourself in this video report.

Uni Watch News Ticker: We now have photos of the NBA All-Star Game uniforms, as seen here, here, here, and here. What the photos don’t show, of course, is the two-toned front/back concept that both teams will be wearing. … Holy shit. Details here (with thanks to Richard Fleck). … The Pirates have unveiled a spring training logo that looks like it was designed by a 12-year old (as spotted by Yancy Yeater). … Jeremy Brahm reports that the Dodgers and Padres will be playing some spring training games in China, which of course calls for a new logo. … Also from Jeremy: Japan’s Football (i.e., soccer) Association has just announced their new uniforms for the next two years. … The A’s have unveiled a 40th-anniversary logo (for 40 years in Oakland, that is — the franchise itself is much older than that), but my understanding is that it will not be worn as a sleeve patch. … The Rangers retired Brian Leetch’s number last night. As per standard Rangers protocol, the commemorative jersey patch for the occasion was worn on the shoulder, not on the chest. … IUPUI coach Ron Hunter, as promised, coached barefoot last night, in order to raise awareness of foot odor African poverty. … Back in November, Scott Nuzum contributed a photo of Fort Scott Community College’s very plain uniforms. Now he’s one-upped himself by sending in a photo of Fort Scott playing against Labette Community College, which wore black jerseys and white shorts. … Jeremy Brahm reports that the Orix Buffaloes are selling a baseball cap-shaped backpack.

213 comments to Pond Scrum

• Marc M. | January 25, 2008 at 9:02 am |

Jeremy Brahm reports that the Orix Blue Wave are selling a baseball cap-shaped backpack.

One question, why?

• stateofmain | January 25, 2008 at 9:06 am |

As seen here

It’s a simple design. I’m biased, but I like it.

• Original Jim | January 25, 2008 at 9:06 am |

Paul, those spring training games are going to be in China, not Japan. Only the Red Sox-A’s series is in Japan.

• Adam | January 25, 2008 at 9:07 am |

The Dodgers and Padres spring games are in China, not Japan.

• Original Jim | January 25, 2008 at 9:08 am |

And what’s with the NBA All-Star uniforms? Based on the drawings, there is no adidas logo, only the sublimated stripes (which don’t look that bad, honestly).

But the photos of the players have the logo up by the shoulder, with no stripes.

Which ones are they wearing?

• Jon | January 25, 2008 at 9:11 am |

Regarding Fort Scott’s plain jerseys, I distinctly remember TCU wearing such simple jerseys in the early 1980s. It had no name on front and was a very simple, purple and white design.

• Al | January 25, 2008 at 9:11 am |

I like the pond-hockey uniforms. The creative numbering for the Pro Shop (square root of 2, 1/fast — hah!), the Subway jerseys from the old Bruins (lots of love for the black-and-gold up there in Minnesota, eh?) and the guys with the Zubaz pants and the video game character on their yellow jerseys. Totally 80s, dude!

They don’t get so creative for Gus Macker/NBA Hoop It Up basketball, nor the “over the line” softball as found in southern California. The names of the team, yes. Unies, no.

• teamcinnamon | January 25, 2008 at 9:11 am |

Wow – underwater hockey.

If that’s not the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen..

• Jeremy Brahm | January 25, 2008 at 9:11 am |

It is Orix Buffaloes, not Blue Wave.

• Jim | January 25, 2008 at 9:13 am |

It just made my day to see a whole story dedicated to Pond Hockey. Makes me want to skip out on work and go play:)

• Caknuck | January 25, 2008 at 9:14 am |

Best uni number ever!

For the math-illiterate, he’s the “inverse of fast”

• Ash | January 25, 2008 at 9:14 am |

Love the pond hockey pics. Makes me long for my hockey playing days.

• LI Phil | January 25, 2008 at 9:15 am |

question is, when will todd be getting one of these?

• Robb | January 25, 2008 at 9:16 am |

Roger Federer gets his own logo which is on

• Robb | January 25, 2008 at 9:17 am |

oops… its on everything

when am I getting my own nike logo?

• LI Phil | January 25, 2008 at 9:19 am |

[quote comment=”209917″]Best uni number ever!

For the math-illiterate, he’s the “inverse of fast”[/quote]

and don’t forget his linemates 1.41421356 and 1/2

• LI Phil | January 25, 2008 at 9:21 am |

[quote comment=”209919″]question is, when will todd be getting one of these?

3 stripes on the uni…so this is where we’re headed next season (on team unis)???[/quote]

ahem…when will todd be getting one of THESE

sorry todd

• teamcinnamon | January 25, 2008 at 9:21 am |

[quote comment=”209925″][quote comment=”209917″]Best uni number ever!

For the math-illiterate, he’s the “inverse of fast”[/quote]

and don’t forget his linemates 1.41421356 and 1/2[/quote]

Brilliance.

• Eephus | January 25, 2008 at 9:22 am |

Best uni number ever!

For the math-illiterate, he’s the “inverse of fast”

• Matt | January 25, 2008 at 9:23 am |

The Rangers also had all the special guests in white jerseys with the #2 where the C or A would be, and the current Rangers watched the ceremony in a special Leetch Jersey that also had the #2 in the C of A spot (they wore their home blues).

Here’s pic of Adam Graves one of the special guests with the white jersey and #2 on the front:

• Joe H | January 25, 2008 at 9:25 am |

Paul, I can’t tell by the pics but the lettering on those NBA All-Star Uni’s looks screened or heat pressed on. Can you confirm this? If they are twill letters sewn on I don’t see any of the stitching.

• Chris ATL | January 25, 2008 at 9:26 am |

The Atlanta Dream

Like the name hate the logo and colors

• Stuby | January 25, 2008 at 9:26 am |

Wow, who knew Oakland even had a skyline?

• Rick White in Cedar Park, TX | January 25, 2008 at 9:28 am |

[quote comment=”209937″]The Atlanta Dream

Like the name hate the logo and colors[/quote]

The logo looks like a giant pin with a round head.

• Justin | January 25, 2008 at 9:28 am |

[quote comment=”209931″]Best uni number ever!

For the math-illiterate, he’s the “inverse of fast”

Great pictures. They remind me of a teammate in college intramurals who went by “The Great -e^(-i*pi)”, which equals 1.[/quote]

• ScottyJ in WV | January 25, 2008 at 9:31 am |

Those pics of the pond hockey championships are great, Anna!!!

• Josh | January 25, 2008 at 9:32 am |

At the Leetch ceremony last nite all the former players wore the 2006-07 Reebok authentic unis, rather than this year’s EDGE design. Not sure if I got more nostalgic for the days Leetch, Richter, Graves, and Mess or for the old uni template.

• Justin | January 25, 2008 at 9:34 am |

[quote comment=”209923″]oops… its on everything

when am I getting my own nike logo?[/quote]

Most elite individual sport athletes have their own logos.

Tiger Woods
    Michael Phelps

Of course even

Michael Jordan
    and
    Shaq
    had their own logos and they played a team sport.

• Marty Met | January 25, 2008 at 9:35 am |

[quote comment=”209939″][quote comment=”209937″]The Atlanta Dream

Like the name hate the logo and colors[/quote]

The logo looks like a giant pin with a round head.[/quote]

Finally Pro Basketball in Atlanta

• Shane | January 25, 2008 at 9:36 am |

To the pond hockey team in yellow: WELL DONE.

I really wish the Bruins would bring those back as a third. Providence wore something very similar last season.

No one’s wearing thirds in the NHL anymore, are they?

• Bryan Redemske | January 25, 2008 at 9:39 am |

Why does Tim Duncan’s jersey have an adidas logo?

• Al | January 25, 2008 at 9:39 am |

[quote comment=”209914″]It is Orix Buffaloes, not Blue Wave.[/quote]

Yeah, the Orix Blue Wave merged with Kintetsu Buffaloes. Kintetsu had the fugliest professional baseball cap ever — looked like trucker hats with 80s-era NFL sewing.

• Jeff | January 25, 2008 at 9:40 am |

One of my favorite unis from the pond hockey is the team with the old pixelated Nintendo hockey players. I loved that game as a kid. I only saw the fat one, did any of the medium and skinny guy?

Those are some fantastic and creative uniforms!

• T-Roy | January 25, 2008 at 9:41 am |

@Justin
    [quote comment=”209940″][quote comment=”209931″]Best uni number ever!

For the math-illiterate, he’s the “inverse of fast”

Um no it doesn’t you’re rasing e to an imaginary number times pi… there’s no way that equals one.[/quote]

I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic, or just never learned how to do a Taylor series, but -e^(i*pi) (corrected his original) is exactly 1.

• Paul Lukas | January 25, 2008 at 9:41 am |

Must have had a replica for him, instead of an authentic.

• Al | January 25, 2008 at 9:42 am |

[quote comment=”209944″][quote comment=”209923″]oops… its on everything

when am I getting my own nike logo?[/quote]

Most elite individual sport athletes have their own logos.

Tiger Woods
    Michael Phelps

Of course even

Michael Jordan
    and
    Shaq
    had their own logos and they played a team sport.[/quote]

• Shane | January 25, 2008 at 9:42 am |

Bahahaha, maybe he was wearing a replica.

• Stuby | January 25, 2008 at 9:43 am |

[quote comment=”209944″][quote comment=”209923″]oops… its on everything

when am I getting my own nike logo?[/quote]

Most elite individual sport athletes have their own logos.

Tiger Woods
    Michael Phelps

Of course even

Michael Jordan
    and
    Shaq
    had their own logos and they played a team sport.[/quote]
    And there are the logos for…

Stephon Marbury
    LeBron James
    Tracy McGrady

• Pat | January 25, 2008 at 9:48 am |

I actually really like the All-Star uniforms… well other than the damn 3 stripes down the sides which I still hold is more offensive than a swoosh.

I was a little concerned that the uniforms would just be split in half with the 2 tones. But the way they had the side panel curve and then swoop around the bottom of the shorts looks really good. I don’t know how the silver backs will look on the blue uniforms but I like the gold on the white.

The three stripes down the side were on the uniform last year too. So I wouldn’t worry too much about them being integrated on the uniforms any time soon. At least I hope not… they’ve already made their way onto warm-ups with I think it bad enough.

• Hank | January 25, 2008 at 9:52 am |

[quote comment=”209948″]To the pond hockey team in yellow: WELL DONE.

No one’s wearing thirds in the NHL anymore, are they?[/quote]

• Stuby | January 25, 2008 at 9:54 am |

I was doing a search for safety vests at work yesterday and came across these…

College Hard-Hats
    NFL Hard-Hats

• Shane | January 25, 2008 at 9:56 am |

[quote comment=”209964″][quote comment=”209948″]To the pond hockey team in yellow: WELL DONE.

No one’s wearing thirds in the NHL anymore, are they?[/quote]

Third jerseys are supposed to return next season. I recall that they were suspended for this season to focus on the Edge system.[/quote]

Nice. Hopefully Colorado gets that maroon/diagonal lettering sweater back.

• dm00n [Doug] | January 25, 2008 at 10:14 am |

[quote comment=”209937″]The Atlanta Dream

Like the name hate the logo and colors[/quote]

They are expanding the WNBA??

• LI Phil | January 25, 2008 at 10:17 am |

College Hard-Hats
    NFL Hard-Hats

The Bengals and Rams helmets don’t translate very well into hard-hats, and why wouldn’t they make the ‘Bama hat with a number on the side? The Michigan one just looks plain stupid with the logo.[/quote]

this one doubles as a mortarboard & work attire

• Randy Miller | January 25, 2008 at 10:19 am |

Jon: TCU did have plain jerseys for a couple of year in the Jim Killingsworth era. They looked like somebody bought some old junior-varsity purple jerseys somewhere. I think that there had originally been some logo above them, but it had been removed.

They weren’t great jerseys, but still better than the lavender with purple pinstripes monstrosities of the early ’70s. I only wish I had a pic of those.

• joe | January 25, 2008 at 10:20 am |

Did the rangers raise an cheap plastic banner for Leetch? It looks terrible.

• Kevin M. | January 25, 2008 at 10:23 am |

Got a new entry into the lost officals gear: I work for the Columbus Cottonmouths (SPHL) and in last nights game against the Knoxville Ice Bears (who wore all black) one of the linesmen had his equipment lost by the airlines. He had to borrow some equipment from the head ref of the local mens hockey league. Nothing fit he guy correctly and he had a hard time just skating. No pics yet unfortunatly.

• todd krevanchi | January 25, 2008 at 10:23 am |

[quote comment=”209929″]
    when will todd be getting one of THESE

[/quote]

your original quote had a pic of the ranger unis, and then one of the all star unis…
    so at first i was like, i’ll NEVER get either because they are made by reebok and adidas respectively.

i think there was a time when i would have gotten maybe a 1 inch by 1 inch jumpman or swoosh, but now, when it comes to tatts, i really would have to put a lot of thought into it.

• Jeremy Brahm | January 25, 2008 at 10:25 am |

The thing with the backpack was just that it was weird. I had never though of making a design of a hat like that to actually carry something that big.

I showed it to one of my Japanese friends this morning and she that it was cute (traditional Japanese response).

It could be worse: Hiroshima Carp electric guitar to be out this year

• Fez Whatley | January 25, 2008 at 10:26 am |

No one’s wearing thirds in the NHL anymore, are they?[/quote]

Yet every level of pro hockey is in the RbK Edge crap. They held off on the thirds for one reason – to sell these redesigned originals.

I guess there is enough of stock of the old non-edge uniforms so that they can build up enough for every honorary pre-game ceremony?

Or maybe they are still making them… DEATH TO THE EDGE!

• Steve Billings | January 25, 2008 at 10:27 am |

I played in the Pond Hockey Championships last year and the range of unis was great but this year looked to be even better.

• Al | January 25, 2008 at 10:29 am |

[quote comment=”209988″]
    It could be worse: Hiroshima Carp electric guitar to be out this year[/quote]

As Jimi Hendrix rolls over in his grave …

• Mark | January 25, 2008 at 10:30 am |

Why are the allstars posing with the old Spalding Basketball?

• ryan c #40 | January 25, 2008 at 10:31 am |

“Uhm, the Bradenton logo is representative of the exterior of McKechnie Field, the Buccos ST home:
    As seen here
    It’s a simple design. I’m biased, but I like it.”

i agree! and i am ALSO biased as a huge pirates fan…-pause for laughter-… and my favorite number is 40 (obviously). classy, simple, what more could you ask for? just as long as it is a sign around town and the ballpark, and not a uni-patch.

• possum | January 25, 2008 at 10:31 am |

No comments yet about this guy having USPS Priority tape holding his socks on? Plus, that’s a boss St. Paul Vulcans logo.

• DawgFan2007 | January 25, 2008 at 10:33 am |

College Hard-Hats
    NFL Hard-Hats

OU doesn’t have a white stripe…

• ryan c #40 | January 25, 2008 at 10:34 am |

but, i play against a team sponsored by a bank, and all of their numbers have dollars and cents:

$40.00 (but the zeros are much smaller).

looks really cool!

And more yet:
    Primetime:Check out the tongue:
    Penny:Tongue and Heel counter:
    Ken Griffey Jr.:
    Kobe: Check the Heel Inverted Phallic Symbol:

• dm00n [Doug] | January 25, 2008 at 10:41 am |

Happy 90th birthday, Ernie Harwell. The Detroit Free Press says “Ernie is probably the only person you could meet in 2008 who met Mack, Ruth, Cobb — and Ted Williams.”

• tedkerwin | January 25, 2008 at 10:42 am |

NFL Uniform Number Article

Not sure if it has been shared before.

• LI Phil | January 25, 2008 at 10:43 am |

fed ex

/clearly not uni-watch readers, nor nuanced in the proper use of negative space

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 10:44 am |

Even More:
    Mike Vick:
    Vinsanity:Check out the tongue:

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 10:45 am |

[quote comment=”210008″]NFL Uniform Number Article

Not sure if it has been shared before.[/quote]

Sounds like what UW friend John Springer is working on, although for the Mets

• Jeffrey Mac | January 25, 2008 at 10:45 am |

[quote comment=”209981″][quote comment=”209967″]I was doing a search for safety vests at work yesterday and came across these…

College Hard-Hats
    NFL Hard-Hats

this one doubles as a mortarboard & work attire[/quote]

yes, i expect to see some of these on construction sites down here.

• NateL | January 25, 2008 at 10:48 am |

I think it’s logical that Stephon Marbury has his own logo; it’s his own show company. Michael Jordan, LeBron, Durant, Penny, etc. all were made by another company, who created a logo for them.

I kind of like the Starbury logo: the 3 with the added dot to create a star.

And the shoes are good too. Just as good as any Nike or Adidas I’ve worn, and MUCH less expensive.

• Lexie | January 25, 2008 at 10:48 am |

Just surfing the web and came across this photo of the all star unis. You can see the front and back of the uniforms. Doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would…but definitely not great.

• LI Phil | January 25, 2008 at 10:48 am |

[quote comment=”210010″]Even More:
    Mike Vick:
    Vinsanity:Check out the tongue:

how appropriate for prison

• E_Ro | January 25, 2008 at 10:49 am |

Those pond hockey sweaters are absolutely beautiful! My beer league team has always just had a basic Toronto template (no complaints).

How does a team even get that old bruins design made up?

• Anthony Verna | January 25, 2008 at 10:54 am |

[quote comment=”209954″][quote comment=”209950″]Why does Tim Duncan’s jersey have an adidas logo?[/quote]

Must have had a replica for him, instead of an authentic.[/quote]

I remember this last year. I don’t know if you can find pics, but last year’s promo pics were replicas, also. During the game, however, the adidas logo was not to be seen on the All-Star uniforms.

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 10:54 am |

Each year, his signature shoe is produced in what is called the Dunkman “colorway”.

Lebron II
    Lebron III
    Lebron IV
    Lebron Zoom Soldier
    Lebron V

• Kevin W | January 25, 2008 at 10:57 am |

$40.00 (but the zeros are much smaller).

looks really cool!

$8.00
    $39.00
    $80.00
    etc…[/quote]

I play adult rec league hockey, too, and Jack Daniel’s sponsors a team in a higher league that I’ve seen a couple of times. The nameplate on each sweater says “Old No.” so that they are all “Old No. 7”, “Old No. 12”, etc.

• Anna Rajdl | January 25, 2008 at 10:59 am |

Wow! What a way to start the day by seeing my pics on here! Thanks Paul!

• Anthony Verna | January 25, 2008 at 11:01 am |

Lebron II
    Lebron III
    Lebron IV
    Lebron Zoom Soldier
    Lebron V[/quote]

Is it always in the ugliest green that can be found?

• James R | January 25, 2008 at 11:06 am |

Delaware quarterback Joe Flacco White Helmet

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 11:08 am |

[quote comment=”210025″][quote comment=”210001″]i play adult league hockey and, first off, i am jealous of all you $#%^@ that grew up next to or near a frozen pond! haha.

$40.00 (but the zeros are much smaller).

looks really cool!

$8.00
    $39.00
    $80.00
    etc…[/quote]

As for the postal tape on the socks, it’s a fairly common sight around the rink, especially on poor college students who don’t want to pay for hockey tape.[/quote]

Men’s League: Check
    Hockey: No

Instead I play in a Basketball league and one of the teams name is Bushwood County Club.

What is great is that all of the guys on the team have screenprinted names on the back and the names are all characters from the film, Czervik,Nunzio and Noonan , Spackler , Smails etc.

Unfortunately, theres no one to play Lacey Underalls!

I’ll get pics next time I see them!

• teamcinnamon | January 25, 2008 at 11:09 am |

Lebron II
    Lebron III
    Lebron IV
    Lebron Zoom Soldier
    Lebron V[/quote]

Those remind me of these.

• LI Phil | January 25, 2008 at 11:17 am |

[quote]Is it always in the ugliest green that can be found?[/quote]

no, that would be this

• Pat | January 25, 2008 at 11:19 am |

Lebron II
    Lebron III
    Lebron IV
    Lebron Zoom Soldier
    Lebron V[/quote]

I figured they were going to try to re-brand LeBron soon enough. That commercial where he dribbles through different ages in his basketball career ends with him in that pose. I thought since they had him floating in air and really focusing on that dunk pose they were going to try and move away from this logo… which I never really liked in the first place. It’s a nice piece of design work but it just doesn’t say LeBron James to me.

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 11:21 am |

Lebron II
    Lebron III
    Lebron IV
    Lebron Zoom Soldier
    Lebron V[/quote]

Is it always in the ugliest green that can be found?[/quote]

No, check these out.

Even I woudn’t wear those, amd that’s saying something!

• Cullan | January 25, 2008 at 11:23 am |

[quote comment=”210034″][quote comment=”210022″]There is this secondary Lebron logo referred to as the Dunkman, which as legend says was fashioned from his first-ever dunk in the NBA!

Lebron II
    Lebron III
    Lebron IV
    Lebron Zoom Soldier
    Lebron V[/quote]

Those remind me of these.[/quote]

I was thinking the exact same thing

• KT | January 25, 2008 at 11:23 am |

It was my understanding there would be no math….

• Slam | January 25, 2008 at 11:24 am |

• Ian | January 25, 2008 at 11:25 am |

In regards to the Rangers retiring Brian Leetch’s #2, as per standard Rangers protocol, the banner fails to display the Rangers’ vertically arched nameplate. *sigh* At least they are consistent. And then there’s more proof.

• Matt Camino | January 25, 2008 at 11:26 am |

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 11:27 am |

A bit off topic, well not really. In the video, at one point, the coach in question is wearing an ugly green tie. Nonetheless, something interesting on ESPN concerning the basketball coach at my alma mater. Rest assured, it is DEFINITELY Uni-Related!

Wagner Basketball

• LI Phil | January 25, 2008 at 11:27 am |

–vince young, upon receiving his wonderlic

• Stuby | January 25, 2008 at 11:28 am |

[quote comment=”210054″]Was reading the Sports Business Journal yesterday and saw that Herbalife has a sponsorship agreement with youth soccer which could possibly put their brand name on around 700,000 youth soccer jerseys. This seemed bad to me at first until I remembered little league and how our jerseys had the local insurance company as a sponsor. Paul, what do you think?[/quote]
    Isn’t Herbalife some kind of pyramid scheme?

• KT | January 25, 2008 at 11:29 am |

Teach ’em early how MLM works.

• Neil | January 25, 2008 at 11:35 am |

Vintage Minnesota Hockey Jerseys

Not sure if they’ve been profiled here or not.

• Chad E | January 25, 2008 at 11:39 am |

• ML | January 25, 2008 at 11:42 am |

WANT!!

• Patrick | January 25, 2008 at 11:47 am |

[quote comment=”209938″]Wow, who knew Oakland even had a skyline?[/quote]

I think the images in the logo were originally supposed to be 40s, celebrating Oakland’s storied history of consumption of large-format malt beverages.

• todd krevanchi | January 25, 2008 at 11:49 am |

[quote comment=”210056″][quote comment=”210049″]It was my understanding there would be no math….[/quote]

–vince young, upon receiving his wonderlic[/quote]

we have a winner…

• Mike V. | January 25, 2008 at 11:53 am |

WANT!![/quote]
    This must be a give-a-way for every team…Pens

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 11:59 am |

More Interesting news from my alma mater.
    Two years ago, the college renovated the football stadium complete with a new Field Turf surface and track.
    Much to my chagrin, they placed a new logo at midfield. This logo is also all over much of the fan gear that can be purchased in the bookstore as well as the Football programs.

It annoys me to no end that an institution of higher learning which includes an in-house Graphic Design department has to KNOWINGLY do this. My sister works in the Athletic Department and I have often asked her about this. According to her, there are definite ramifications that come from the NCAA as far as liscensing in concerned! Unbelievable.
    And incredibly, all of the pics of midfield have disappeared from the website!

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 12:04 pm |

[quote comment=”210075″]More Interesting news from my alma mater.

And incredibly, all of the pics of midfield have disappeared from the website![/quote]

As usual, I take it back, here is a noy-so-great pic of the field.

Plus a pretty cool pic of my brother Seahawks!

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 12:05 pm |
  • Stuby | January 25, 2008 at 12:08 pm |

[quote comment=”210081″]Seahawks[/quote]

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 12:12 pm |

[quote comment=”210084″][quote comment=”210081″]Seahawks[/quote]
    How long has Wagner been the Seahawks? Just curious to see if they had stolen the mascot as well as the logo from another entity.[/quote]

Acording to the all-time record book, which dates back to 1927, they have always had the name!

• GoMac | January 25, 2008 at 12:14 pm |

First off..great shots of Pond Hockey..

Second..Am I the only one who thinks that the Starbury’s are actually really nice? haha..I mean..I don’t wear basketball shoes..but doesn’t it just show how over priced they are that he can make nice ones and sell them for 10 bucks?

Oh..and Hilarious Vince Young joke..I wish I had come up with it..haha.

• Joe from WV | January 25, 2008 at 12:16 pm |

[quote comment=”209996″]Why are the allstars posing with the old Spalding Basketball?[/quote]

The balls themselves are actually new (note the NOLA 2008 logos) limited editions (Melo’s is numbered 1456 of 2008). As to why they use the old style, I can only speculate. Despite the fact that they suck for actually playing basketball, the balls still have the futuristic look which was a marketing gimmick to start out with. They seem to scream (or plead) “We’re not your father’s NBA!”

• Mets Fan AZ | January 25, 2008 at 12:25 pm |

• Joe | January 25, 2008 at 12:28 pm |

• LI Phil | January 25, 2008 at 12:32 pm |

That’s what i was thinking too. if someone comes down with a rebound and wants to throw an outlet pass and there are two guys running the other way he’ll have to remember if the back of his jersey is gold or silver. did last years have the wordmark on the leg like the pics do? all i remember from last year was the stripes down the leg.[/quote]

you are of course assuming someone actually wants to pass the ball

• Mets Fan AZ | January 25, 2008 at 12:33 pm |

[quote comment=”210099″][quote comment=”210093″][quote comment=”210052″]I know the NBA all-star game is not that important but would the silver back not resemble the white front and cause confusion during the game. I can already imagine someone giving a pass to what he thinks is one of his teammates only to hit some poor schmuk who was looking the other way in the back of the head.[/quote]

you are of course assuming someone actually wants to pass the ball[/quote]
    my bad

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 12:34 pm |

[quote comment=”210097″]Just heard on DC’s ESPN radio, that the Redskins long snapper (name escapes me) was just added to the pro bowl roster……guess what number he’s wearing……#21!! Unreal, enough already. Somebody needs to wear pat tillmans uni #.[/quote

Exactly!

• Mets/Jets Fan in Chicagoland | January 25, 2008 at 12:42 pm |

no, that would be this[/quote]

Au contraire – the Seahawks trim color wins that debate, hands down

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 12:42 pm |

Oh by the way, check out the homage being paid to UW.

• Cowboy7130 | January 25, 2008 at 12:43 pm |

Cool application at baseballexpress.com. You can design your own baseball uniform. Fun for all for several minutes at a time.

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 12:44 pm |

no, that would be this[/quote]

Au contraire – the Seahawks trim color wins that debate, hands down[/quote]

We were about to have some drama!!!

• matt | January 25, 2008 at 12:46 pm |

• Stuby | January 25, 2008 at 12:56 pm |

For some reason I thought UCLA only wore the contrasting “C” for home games, but they had it on their road uni last night at Oregon (photo 2 of 5). Was i wrong in my understanding of that?

• Al | January 25, 2008 at 12:58 pm |

[quote comment=”210047″][quote comment=”210027″][quote comment=”210022″]There is this secondary Lebron logo referred to as the Dunkman, which as legend says was fashioned from his first-ever dunk in the NBA!

Lebron II
    Lebron III
    Lebron IV
    Lebron Zoom Soldier
    Lebron V[/quote]

Is it always in the ugliest green that can be found?[/quote]

No, check these out.

Even I woudn’t wear those, amd that’s saying something![/quote]

I use these for field hockey if playing indoors or on turf. These can take a 90-mph blast with no problem.

• Al | January 25, 2008 at 1:01 pm |

no, that would be this[/quote]

Au contraire – the Seahawks trim color wins that debate, hands down[/quote]

We were about to have some drama!!![/quote]

WLAF Orlando Thunder!

Wolfsburg 1998! (or thereabouts)

Nigeria 2002!

Barcelona 2004! (or was it 05?)

• Joe H | January 25, 2008 at 1:03 pm |

Not uni-related but you do see some great old threads in the trailor. This is a must see for any sports fan.

Len Bias movie.

• Carl | January 25, 2008 at 1:06 pm |

[quote comment=”209923″]oops… its on everything

when am I getting my own nike logo?[/quote]

…lets not forget #3 Dwayne Wade now.

• James Craven | January 25, 2008 at 1:13 pm |

No. They are doing that on all their available unis this year, and as we all know, that “C” is for 100 NCAA titles.

That green dot on the back of the quarterback’s helmet means he has a radio inside to get the plays from his coach.

Thank you.

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 1:14 pm |

[quote comment=”210124″][quote comment=”209923″]oops… its on everything

…lets not forget #3 Dwayne Wade now.[/quote]

That has got to be a variation of DaVinci’s Vitruvian Man, no?

• orlandor | January 25, 2008 at 1:17 pm |

…lets not forget #3 Dwayne Wade now.[/quote]

That has got to be a variation of DaVinci’s Vitruvian Man, no?[/quote]

Nope it is Dwayne as a human Converse Logo.

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 1:20 pm |

Thank you.[/quote]
    Didn’t you mean stOObs?

• Kool Mar-T | January 25, 2008 at 1:20 pm |

Recently I asked if segment had ever been dedicated to uniforms in movies. There was. Thank you. The reason I asked was because of an ad for some movie that just came out on dvd. I don’t recall the title. I believe it was an “outrageous” comedy. The color schemes were gnarly.
    My new question is this..
    Has there ever been a segment on uniforms being used in commercials?
    If you don’t watch Flight of the Conchords and Trailer Park Boys(Canadian)… I don’t know what.

• LI Phil | January 25, 2008 at 1:20 pm |

[quote comment=”210127″]And that will be enough for today for the nOObs who fail at asking those same questions ad nauseum.

Thank you.[/quote]

now get off my lawn

• Teebz | January 25, 2008 at 1:22 pm |

Pond hockey rules! They actually have the Canadian finals on TSN in Canada. Great jerseys on those guys. Creativity at its best!

As for the “WTF” comment, I’ve written articles on various forms of hockey seen across the world. Some of these are gaining in popularity, and others are already popular. Some are: Underwater Hockey, Sledge Hockey, Quad Hockey, and Sponge Hockey.

If you’re interested, take a look. There are some interesting videos and information about each form of hockey, as well as website links to get more info about each sport.

Great work to Anna Rajdl, Jeff Burak, and Carl Schneeman for their work too! :o)

• teamcinnamon | January 25, 2008 at 1:26 pm |

He got a 10 minute misconduct for that. They explained it on the post-game show.. the rule was put in effect so that players couldn’t rip the jerseys off giving them an unfair advantage because the other guy wouldn’t have anything to hold onto.
    They also said that Downie was so out of it after getting boarded earlier in the game that he came back out from the trainers room and basically just didn’t remember to strap it down.
    He’s a f’n animal.

• teamcinnamon | January 25, 2008 at 1:29 pm |

no, that would be this[/quote]

Au contraire – the Seahawks trim color wins that debate, hands down[/quote]

We were about to have some drama!!![/quote]

WLAF Orlando Thunder![/quote]

I can’t see anything wrong with this!

• Teebz | January 25, 2008 at 1:31 pm |

He’s a f’n animal.[/quote]

Downie received a game misconduct, not a 10-minute misconduct.

• LI Phil | January 25, 2008 at 1:31 pm |

[quote comment=”210144″]I can’t see anything wrong with this![/quote]

now i can’t see anything at all

• Rick White in Cedar Park, TX | January 25, 2008 at 1:31 pm |

Thank you.[/quote]
    Didn’t you mean stOObs?[/quote]

On the Men’s BB Page at espn.com, the spotlight section under the ‘More’ heading there is an image of UCLA players on the bench. They are in the away blue unis and the C is the same color as the U,L, and A. Is this a picture from last year?

• KT | January 25, 2008 at 1:32 pm |

[quote comment=”210075″]More Interesting news from my alma mater.

Wagner has to KNOWINGLY do what? I’m not following what you’re saying.

• Dane | January 25, 2008 at 1:33 pm |

[quote comment=”210114″]i dont know if anyone saw the flyers game but one played got a penalty for having his jersey not strapped down. i think thats a stupid rule. but thats the NEW nhl for ya….does anyone know the penalty for that?[/quote]

That has nothing to do with the NEW NHL. That rule has been in place for some time now. I’ll see if I can find the year it started.

• Stuby | January 25, 2008 at 1:36 pm |

Thank you.[/quote]
    Thanks for WAAAY over-answering my simple question. I know about all that crap. Just hadn’t seen a UCLA road game all year. Jeez.

• LI Phil | January 25, 2008 at 1:36 pm |

rob ray
    rob ray rule

• Bob | January 25, 2008 at 1:39 pm |

Love the pond hockey photos. I’m old enough to remember the classic Soviet uniforms (there’s a whole generation coming of age to whom you have to explain the USSR). I especially like the nice touch of using Cyrillic characters for the NOBs onthe Soviet jerseys/sweaters

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 1:39 pm |

Wagner has to KNOWINGLY do what? I’m not following what you’re saying.[/quote]

• Marcus Hall - I did not take steroids, EVER! | January 25, 2008 at 1:44 pm |

no, that would be this[/quote]

Au contraire – the Seahawks trim color wins that debate, hands down[/quote]

We were about to have some drama!!![/quote]

WLAF Orlando Thunder!

Wolfsburg 1998! (or thereabouts)

Nigeria 2002!

Barcelona 2004! (or was it 05?)[/quote]

almost glow in the dark!!!

• RICH | January 25, 2008 at 1:45 pm |

I always thought Marbury’s dot looked like the eye of a bird that’s chirping…..somehow very appropriate. Don’t like it much as a star.

• teamcinnamon | January 25, 2008 at 1:45 pm |

[quote comment=”210145″][quote comment=”210142″][quote comment=”210114″]i dont know if anyone saw the flyers game but one played got a penalty for having his jersey not strapped down. i think thats a stupid rule. but thats the NEW nhl for ya….does anyone know the penalty for that?http://youtube.com/w...

He’s a f’n animal.[/quote]

Downie received a game misconduct, not a 10-minute misconduct.

You’re right – Cote got the 10 minute misconduct for fight instigator.

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 1:47 pm |

no, that would be this[/quote]

Au contraire – the Seahawks trim color wins that debate, hands down[/quote]

We were about to have some drama!!![/quote]

WLAF Orlando Thunder!

Wolfsburg 1998! (or thereabouts)

Nigeria 2002!

Barcelona 2004! (or was it 05?)[/quote]

almost glow in the dark!!![/quote]

No, these glow in the dark!

• Teebz | January 25, 2008 at 1:49 pm |

[quote comment=”210160″][quote comment=”210145″]
    Downie received a game misconduct, not a 10-minute misconduct.

You’re right – Cote got the 10 minute misconduct for fight instigator.[/quote]

• Marty Met | January 25, 2008 at 1:52 pm |

rob ray
    rob ray rule[/quote]

The rule says “sweater” NOT “jersey”

• Chris Doran | January 25, 2008 at 1:53 pm |

The penatly has been in existence for years… It’s actually for the safety of both players. If you are not wearing the tie down strap, you run the risk of having the sweater pulled over your head, rendering you possibly defenseless.

If you are throwing the punches, your sweater comes off more easily, enabling your punching arm more range of motion.

• teamcinnamon | January 25, 2008 at 1:53 pm |

no, that would be this[/quote]

Au contraire – the Seahawks trim color wins that debate, hands down[/quote]

We were about to have some drama!!![/quote]

WLAF Orlando Thunder!

Wolfsburg 1998! (or thereabouts)

Nigeria 2002!

Barcelona 2004! (or was it 05?)[/quote]

almost glow in the dark!!![/quote]

• Teebz | January 25, 2008 at 1:54 pm |

[quote comment=”210165″][quote comment=”210153″][quote comment=”210145″]The “Rob Ray” rule states that any player caught not securing their jersey by using the fighting strap is automatically ejected. I can’t remember the rule number, but it’s in the NHL rulebook.[/quote]

rob ray
    rob ray rule[/quote]

The rule says “sweater” NOT “jersey”[/quote]

Marty, how many polyester sweaters do you own? :o)

I never quoted the rulebook either.

• Marcus Hall - I did not take steroids, EVER! | January 25, 2008 at 1:55 pm |

…lets not forget #3 Dwayne Wade now.[/quote]

That has got to be a variation of DaVinci’s Vitruvian Man, no?[/quote]

Nope it is Dwayne as a human Converse Logo.[/quote]

Does anyone remember when Patrick Ewing had his own shoe?? I think he was with Adidas first, then on his own

And take a look at the shorts…..

• Chris Doran | January 25, 2008 at 2:01 pm |

[quote comment=”210162″][quote comment=”210160″][quote comment=”210145″]
    Downie received a game misconduct, not a 10-minute misconduct.

You’re right – Cote got the 10 minute misconduct for fight instigator.[/quote]

The game was very entertaining simply for physicality. These two teams appear to legitimately hate one another. :o)[/quote]

• LI Phil | January 25, 2008 at 2:02 pm |

[quote comment=”210168″]Marty, how many polyester sweaters do you own? :o)[/quote]

can we take side bets on the answer?

• al | January 25, 2008 at 2:05 pm |

here is a story from the Wagner website on their nickname:

• Robert | January 25, 2008 at 2:07 pm |

Thank you.[/quote]

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 2:10 pm |

[quote comment=”210174″]here is a story from the Wagner website on their nickname:

In response to inquiries from older alumni as to the origin of the nickname “Seahawks,” the Link herewith tells the story as we got it from Ronald Reynier, originator of the name. The name grew out of a student body competition in the fall of 1947. It was felt that the nicknames often in use, “The Green Wave” and “The Hilltoppers,” were not sufficiently distinctive. Reynier was the winner of the contest with his suggestion of “Seahawk.” He tells us, first of all, that there is no such bird as a Seahawk. The origin of the name dates back to the time of the great Spanish Main. A small band of English pirates, who operated in the Caribbean Sea and attacked the large ships of the Spanish, were given the nickname of Seahawks. Taking Wagner’s location, looking out over the sea, and the small school playing many large schools in sports, it seemed that Wagner had a close analogy to the original Seahawks. The name was submitted. The student body did the rest.[/quote]

Nice work, Al! Unfortunately it still doesn’t explain why they stole another, larger school’s very recognizable logo!

• Stuby | January 25, 2008 at 2:14 pm |

[quote comment=”210176″][quote comment=”210136″][quote comment=”210127″][quote comment=”210116″]“For some reason I thought UCLA only wore the contrasting “C” for home games, but they had it on their road uni last night at Oregon (photo 2 of 5). Was I wrong in my understanding of that?”[/quote]

Thank you.[/quote]

Why has this board gotten so snarky lately? Yeah those subjects have been covered but if you don’t want to answer them then just don’t. Maybe it’s somebody new and they haven’t gone through the entire archive.[/quote]

• LI Phil | January 25, 2008 at 2:17 pm |

• big DK | January 25, 2008 at 2:18 pm |

I know it’s off topic but, anyone know a place i can buy some striped stirrups?

• Teebz | January 25, 2008 at 2:22 pm |

[quote comment=”210170″][quote comment=”210162″][quote comment=”210160″][quote comment=”210145″]
    Downie received a game misconduct, not a 10-minute misconduct.

You’re right – Cote got the 10 minute misconduct for fight instigator.[/quote]

Indeed they do, Teebz! It comes from the Pens beating the Flyers in all 8 games last season.. Now the Flyers have won the 4 so far this season. and If I recall correctly; this was the only one that was really close this season.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s correct, Chris. It’s like the Devils against both NYC teams – they can’t win against them. Pittsburgh can’t seem to beat the Flyers.

But all the games between these rivals are truly entertaining. :o)

• teamcinnamon | January 25, 2008 at 2:23 pm |

Downie received a game misconduct, not a 10-minute misconduct.

You’re right – Cote got the 10 minute misconduct for fight instigator.[/quote]

It’s turning out to be a pretty damned good rivalry. Moreso than in recent years – it’s good to see the new blood developing and carrying on with this real loathing of the other team. Both sides.
    The ‘Battle of PA’ should be good for years to come!

• derek | January 25, 2008 at 2:23 pm |

[quote comment=”210188″]I know it’s off topic but, anyone know a place i can buy some striped stirrups?[/quote]

The garbage cause thats where they belong

• Rick White in Cedar Park, TX | January 25, 2008 at 2:23 pm |

it’s also funny that the person who seems to have the biggest problem with the green dot is the ONLY one to mention it…sorry for bolding the quote too[/quote]

Well, you should be ashamed

• Randy Williams | January 25, 2008 at 2:26 pm |

[quote comment=”210200″][quote comment=”210185″][quote comment=”210182″]Thanks for sticking up for me Robert, but I’m not a new guy. I just misunderstood when and where UCLA would be wearing the contrasting ‘C’. I regret even bringing it up.[/quote]

Well, you should be ashamed

By the way, anybody notice that LT of San Diego rarely has an American flag on his helmet?[/quote]
    Thats because he sat on the bench whilst his teamates got beat in new England.

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 2:28 pm |

…lets not forget #3 Dwayne Wade now.[/quote]

That has got to be a variation of DaVinci’s Vitruvian Man, no?[/quote]

Nope it is Dwayne as a human Converse Logo.[/quote]

And take a look at the shorts…..[/quote]

Ewing’s shoes, which were very popular in the very early 90’s were made by an obscure company named Phoenix. Steve Francis has recenly signed with the chinese company ANTA, as well as Joakim Noah having signed with the French compnay LeCoqSportif, which his father Yannick endorsed during his tennic career.
    The branching off of players to smaller companies is not uncommon these days. Chris Webber’s defection from Nike to DaDA as well as the AND1 mass exodus were big news in the sneakerworld.

• Patrick | January 25, 2008 at 2:35 pm |

Interesting that a small mid-major would be in on something like this, with schools like Syracuse, Texas, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Florida, and so on.

Home

Away

• Marty Met | January 25, 2008 at 2:41 pm |

…lets not forget #3 Dwayne Wade now.[/quote]

That has got to be a variation of DaVinci’s Vitruvian Man, no?[/quote]

Nope it is Dwayne as a human Converse Logo.[/quote]

And take a look at the shorts…..[/quote]

Another major coup by a once proud but fading company was the 2003 NBA Draft. Converse, had been bought by Nike and proceeded to sign, D.Wade, Kirk Hinrich, Jameer Nelson, Mike Sweetney, and Chris Bosh, all of whom played for Nike endorsed colleges.[/quote]

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 2:44 pm |

…lets not forget #3 Dwayne Wade now.[/quote]

That has got to be a variation of DaVinci’s Vitruvian Man, no?[/quote]

Nope it is Dwayne as a human Converse Logo.[/quote]

And take a look at the shorts…..[/quote]

Steve Francis and Joakim Noah are big news??? I’m sure they signed with the only companys that would sign them.[/quote]

• Jason | January 25, 2008 at 2:45 pm |

[quote comment=”209938″]Wow, who knew Oakland even had a skyline?[/quote]

I did b/c I work in that skyline.

• teamcinnamon | January 25, 2008 at 2:48 pm |

Home

Away[/quote]

Nike – ruining one mid-major at a time.

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 2:56 pm |

Home

Away[/quote]

On that note, I did a comparison between The new S.O.D. shorts versus the older Swingman version shorts that Nike has put out and the difference is huge, check out this pic.

And what looks better this or this?

I have to think that the Carolina SOD is much more sleek and clean.

• Joey Guns | January 25, 2008 at 3:06 pm |

Albright Added to Pro Bowl

Ethan Albright, the Redskins’ long snapper, has been added to the NFC Pro Bowl squad, joining teammates Chris Cooley and Chris Samuels.
    Like them, he’ll wear a No. 21 jersey in the Feb. 10 game in Hawaii. All three jerseys will be sold on nflauction.nfl.com, with proceeds going to the Sean Taylor Memorial Trust Fund for the benefit of his daughter, Jackie.

• Joey Guns | January 25, 2008 at 3:08 pm |

Hunter’s goal was to collect like 40,000 shoes. He ended up with like 110,000 shoes! Amazing!

• Joey Guns | January 25, 2008 at 3:17 pm |

Priceless LT action figure:

• ryan c #40 | January 25, 2008 at 3:34 pm |

“Flickr is borked at the moment, so I can’t say for sure, but I’m guessing the tourney had its fair share of uni’s from here:
    Vintage Minnesota Hockey Jerseys”

GREAT find!!! beautiful jerseys!!! thinking about picking one up (1948-1949 St. Paul Saints Hockey Jersey. very sharp!)…

i only wish pennsylvania had such a rich hockey past!

• Mets/Jets Fan in Chicagoland | January 25, 2008 at 3:36 pm |

quote]

Sneakerwise, yes Marty. Believe me, this guy doesn’t carry much weight in my eye.[/quote]

Ah, but his long-lost “real dad” might disagree

• Jet | January 25, 2008 at 3:47 pm |

Neal, thanks for posting that link of vintage Minnesota hockey jerseys!! I WANT ONE OF EACH!!! lol
    -Jet

• Nicole | January 25, 2008 at 3:48 pm |

[quote comment=”210072″][quote comment=”210067″][quote comment=”210004″]If you ever wondered what Mr. Potato Head would look like as a Washington Capital, well, the Caps have fulfilled your wish: Caps Mr Potato Head Giveaway[/quote]

WANT!![/quote]
    This must be a give-a-way for every team…Pens[/quote]

I don’t think it was ever a give-away, but you can buy a Brewers Mr. Potato Head at Miller Park.

• Joey Guns | January 25, 2008 at 4:03 pm |

no, that would be this[/quote]

Au contraire – the Seahawks trim color wins that debate, hands down[/quote]

We were about to have some drama!!![/quote]

WLAF Orlando Thunder!

Wolfsburg 1998! (or thereabouts)

Nigeria 2002!

Barcelona 2004! (or was it 05?)[/quote]

almost glow in the dark!!![/quote]

LOL He’s the head coach at Jacksonville University now. Not bad…..

• LI Phil | January 25, 2008 at 4:07 pm |

• warren thompson | January 25, 2008 at 4:10 pm |

Wagner has to KNOWINGLY do what? I’m not following what you’re saying.[/quote]

According to the Manager Of Athletic Facilities Operations at Wagner, of the administrators in the athletic department knew that what they were choosing for the new logo was already in use by the Wisconsin athletic department.[/quote]

• KT | January 25, 2008 at 4:11 pm |

[quote comment=”210167″]Other than having an obscure career where all he’ll ever be known for (on this board at least) is that Pro Set card, here’s something else that we can remember Kerwin Bell for.[/quote]

Hey, 158.3, baby. That’s as good as it gets. :)

• Jacob | January 25, 2008 at 4:11 pm |

[quote comment=”210258″]while looking for some info on the beijing olympiad, i came across this interesting photo of the yellow sea[/quote]

this was posted on here a few days ago. someone pointed out that the one girl didn’t have striped socks on, a big faux pas.

• ryan c #40 | January 25, 2008 at 4:22 pm |

“If you ever wondered what Mr. Potato Head would look like as a Washington Capital, well, the Caps have fulfilled your wish: Caps Mr Potato Head Giveaway

WANT!!

This must be a give-a-way for every team…Pens”

the BC Sports store in south hills village (pittsburgh), sells one like that. dont know if it’s the actual giveaway, but cool for a little pens fan!

• Chip B | January 25, 2008 at 4:41 pm |

I know it’s off topic but, anyone know a place i can buy some striped stirrups?

Go to Amazon.com and search for “baseball stirrup”. You have to buy a dozen of them, though. I can’t think of any other place.

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 4:50 pm |

[quote comment=”210256″][quote comment=”210167″][quote comment=”210158″][quote comment=”210120″][quote comment=”210113″][quote comment=”210108″][quote comment=”210041″][quote]Is it always in the ugliest green that can be found?[/quote]

no, that would be this[/quote]

Au contraire – the Seahawks trim color wins that debate, hands down[/quote]

We were about to have some drama!!![/quote]

WLAF Orlando Thunder!

Wolfsburg 1998! (or thereabouts)

Nigeria 2002!

Barcelona 2004! (or was it 05?)[/quote]

almost glow in the dark!!![/quote]

LOL

He’s the head coach at Jacksonville University now.

Not bad…..

How ironic, my last college football game as a senior at Wagner was at Jacksonville University. A real defensive struggle 66-42.

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 4:52 pm |

[quote comment=”210261″][quote comment=”210157″][quote comment=”210148″][quote comment=”210075″]More Interesting news from my alma mater.

Wagner has to KNOWINGLY do what? I’m not following what you’re saying.[/quote]

So there are trademark, copyright, “intellectual” property, and who-knows-what-all issues at stake herein, but is it not possible that this thing has gotten out of hand?[/quote]

What thing are you referring to? I personally don’t care for the logo and believe that they could have done better. As for the blatant disregard for legality, that’s just assinine.

• boston_sf | January 25, 2008 at 4:54 pm |

WANT!!

This must be a give-a-way for every team…Pens”

You can get a Mr. Potato Head for most MLB teams too.

• Carolina | January 25, 2008 at 5:31 pm |

Home

Away[/quote]

And what looks better this or this?

I have to think that the Carolina SOD is much more sleek and clean.[/quote]

• Shane | January 25, 2008 at 5:52 pm |

When I first saw this

I thought of this

• Shane | January 25, 2008 at 5:52 pm |

When I saw this

I instantly thought of this

• Shane | January 25, 2008 at 5:54 pm |

shoot
    didnt mean to post it twice

the first time i tried
    it said my connection had timed out

guess not

• anonymous | January 25, 2008 at 5:56 pm |

That 40th anniversary logo is terrible. Alright, I can tell that two of the buildings are supposed to be the Federal buildings, but it looks nothing like them.

• William Harrison | January 25, 2008 at 6:01 pm |

WANT!![/quote]
    This must be a give-a-way for every team…Pens[/quote]

Already got a Bruins one last year, and they are available for just about every team somehwere (bought my son a Red Sox one at Fenway this past summer)…

• frank | January 25, 2008 at 6:07 pm |

• Manzell | January 25, 2008 at 6:07 pm |

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 6:13 pm |

[quote comment=”210310″]Can someone come up with a ‘report’ on personal player logo’s? I’m watching the Roger Federer press conference and he’s wearing his ‘RF’ nike cap.

Other guys have their own logo, like Jordan and LeBron, and there is Tiger Woods, and also Poker Pro Phil Hellmuth (with a completely dorky, ridiculous player logo). But there are probably alot more. Does anyone follow this?[/quote]

Check Posts #28, 38, 58, 60, 64, and 72

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 6:16 pm |

[quote comment=”210291″][quote comment=”210226″][quote comment=”210212″]This was interesting: saw the highlights of the IUPUI-Oakland game on SportsCenter (the one where Ron Hunter coached barefoot), and noticed that Oakland is one of the schools wearing Nike’s System of Dress.

Home

Away[/quote]

And what looks better this or this?

I have to think that the Carolina SOD is much more sleek and clean.[/quote]

Very true regarding UNC – anyone who has watched their games this year can tell that the SOD style was not allowed to be fully implemented, the only player with ridiculous shorts is Ty Lawson, and they were like that last year. Wayne Ellington’s shorts come up before his knees and I think for the most part the team looks great in them, a lot more so than last years…[/quote]

I strongly dislike the enormous jerseys in the style ike Mayo wears. Case in Point, when the Lakers wore their short shorts it would not have looked at awsful had their jerseys been more form fitting. Lamar Odom and KObe looked ridiculous. For that reason alone, I think that the SOD jerseys are an improvement. As for the shorts, they should be much shorter. At least at the knee!

• Carl | January 25, 2008 at 6:27 pm |

[quote comment=”210218″][quote comment=”210216″][quote comment=”210207″][quote comment=”210169″][quote comment=”210134″][quote comment=”210129″][quote comment=”210124″][quote comment=”209923″]oops… its on everything

…lets not forget #3 Dwayne Wade now.[/quote]

That has got to be a variation of DaVinci’s Vitruvian Man, no?[/quote]

Nope it is Dwayne as a human Converse Logo.[/quote]

And take a look at the shorts…..[/quote]

…I agree. However, kudos for sweet use of the bowtie. I swear that those things are making a comeback. Just wait for NCAA coaches to start wearing them.

• Carl | January 25, 2008 at 6:31 pm |

[quote comment=”210309″]It looks like we’ll get an outdoor basketball game to go with the hockey one earlier this year.[/quote]

Are they going to put maple down for the floor? It would be sweet to play it on asphalt or an old driveway. That stuff stinks to fall on.

• Stan aka the took | January 25, 2008 at 7:13 pm |

c is CUUUUTTTTEEEEE!

• cougfan | January 25, 2008 at 7:29 pm |

USC will always be better than the yellow C

• Jeffrey Mac | January 25, 2008 at 8:14 pm |

Thank you.[/quote]

Does the helmet radio pick am only or also fm?

also, when ucla wins their 150th title, we can only hope they highlight the c AND the l.

• MPowers1634 | January 25, 2008 at 8:24 pm |

[quote comment=”210342″]USC will always be better than the yellow C[/quote]

I am in total agreement!

• u2horn | January 25, 2008 at 8:38 pm |

Okay, I skimmed through the 200 comments, but I don’t think anyone mentioned the Vince Young personal logo which was designed before he even played his first pro game.

• who cares | January 25, 2008 at 8:57 pm |

• =bg= | January 25, 2008 at 9:06 pm |

[quote comment=”209955″][quote comment=”209944″][quote comment=”209923″]oops… its on everything

when am I getting my own nike logo?[/quote]

Most elite individual sport athletes have their own logos.

Tiger Woods
    Michael Phelps

Of course even

Michael Jordan
    and
    Shaq
    had their own logos and they played a team sport.[/quote]

Steffi Graf, Stefan Edberg, Martina Navratilova, and Ivan Lendl had their own logowear in the 80s. You had to look very carefully for their initials in the logo.[/quote]

The Man had his own logo:

• =bg= | January 25, 2008 at 9:19 pm |

And a PS to Borg: during that period, Guillermo Vilas had HIS own Fila line- very cool. You’ll see ‘vilas’ on his shorts here:

At some point he added on an initial logo next to the Fila F..like the Bj logo next to the F for Borg. It was an G jammed inside a V.

As fas as Lendl, he had his signature printed on the shorts of his argyle Adidas line..he had a shirt one year with a huge IL as a graphic..

there was a swirl graphic that was made to look like him…no mean feat..

There’s EDberg’s initials;

• LI Phil | January 25, 2008 at 9:35 pm |

everyone know tiger’s nike…

but a whole shitload of golfers not only have their own line, they have their own LABEL…top of my head, shark, golden bear, arnie, hogan, bobby jones…

• LI Phil | January 25, 2008 at 10:18 pm |

do footy players do that a lot?

• James Craven | January 25, 2008 at 10:48 pm |

[quote comment=”210185″][quote comment=”210182″]“Thanks for sticking up for me Robert, but I’m not a new guy. I just misunderstood when and where UCLA would be wearing the contrasting ‘C’. I regret even bringing it up.[/quote]

“It’s also funny that the person who seems to have the biggest problem with the green dot is the ONLY one to mention it.”[/quote]

It’s like rain on your wedding day, or the good advice that you just didn’t take, the free ride when you’ve already paid, and who would’ve thought it figures?

• James Craven | January 25, 2008 at 10:52 pm |

[quote comment=”210353″]“Does the helmet radio pick AM only or also FM?”[/quote]

[sarcasm]Baby Jesus on rubber crutches, it picks up the National Weather Service radio band in your area![/sarcasm]

• Mark M | January 25, 2008 at 10:57 pm |

[quote comment=”210064″]At the IU game Wed. night, Deandre Thomas played the entire game with one sleeve rolled up and one sleeve long. Look at photos 40 and 47 here.

I also noticed that all of the IU regulars have taken to wearing T-shirts under their jerseys. Or at least they did against Iowa, although some had the sleeve(s) trimmed off which defeats the purpose. Look for a repeat against UConn tomorrow?

• Nick | January 25, 2008 at 11:10 pm |

just checked over the the Athletics website, and on the second tab it shows Kurt Suzuki wearing the new A’s alternate jersey for next year. never heard anything about it on this site or anywhere else online, any other pics of the new threads?

• Jordan | January 26, 2008 at 12:52 am |

[quote comment=”210445″][quote comment=”210389″]I found a picture of Mali’s white unis today. Pretty neat looking in my opinion. I like to call this photo “a little tickle.”[/quote]

do footy players do that a lot?[/quote]

“It’s Soccer Greg, It’s Soccer”

– Great Movie Quote

• E_Ro | January 26, 2008 at 1:33 am |

ohhh man those vintage minnesotan sweaters….
    to me you can’t make something better than this and it was way back in the 1940’s!

• Andres | January 26, 2008 at 1:54 am |

It’s pretty convenient how you disabled comments for the post before this one. Not only was it incredibly insensitive to the families of Sean Taylor and Heath Ledger, but totally homophobic.

Congrats, you just lost a long time reader.

• bar57988 | January 26, 2008 at 4:00 am |

[quote comment=”210360″][quote comment=”210342″]USC will always be better than the yellow C[/quote]

I am in total agreement![/quote]

Looks like those “song girls” are “pros” from th e Valley… No posts from the Aussie Women’s finals?