No More Ring Around The Collar!

collar

At some point when I was a kid, probably when this commercial was on the air, I was pretty sure “ring around the collar” was a disease. If it wasn’t deadly, if it didn’t make suitcases pop open from the sheer offensiveness of the affliction, why was it such a big deal? I still don’t know. Maybe that’s why I wear T-shirts every day.

A different collar situation entirely exists in Columbus, Ohio. You know how football jerseys have stretchy material around the collar for things like, say, putting your head in? Ohio State’s don’t have that. It’s the same mesh as the rest of the jersey body, which is definitely not the norm. In fact, most of Nike’s higher-profile schools have similar collars — LSU (uses the shoulder material instead of mesh), Florida (same as LSU) and Illinois (mesh like Ohio State) included.

The style of the jersey (piping, bib thinger, or traditional look) doesn’t seem to matter, since it looks like most are cut similarly. The collar change corresponded with the latest jersey template, unveiled before the 2006 season. Prior to that — and to Ohio State changing the sleeve stripes — Nike collars had the stretchy stuff.

This collar template, however, hasn’t changed recently. — Bryan

120 comments to No More Ring Around The Collar!

• Pete (UK) | January 6, 2008 at 7:44 am |

If you look closely the collar changes about halfway up the side – I think to a rib knit round the back and sides.

• Rob | January 6, 2008 at 8:15 am |

Ha! Illinois is for sure not a higher profile school like the mighty Gators and LSU.

• Tom K | January 6, 2008 at 9:00 am |

• Jeremy | January 6, 2008 at 9:08 am |

As the kids say nowadays….. P3WNED!

• Ben | January 6, 2008 at 9:20 am |

• PFGuay | January 6, 2008 at 11:08 am |

Shouldn’t it have said “2008” on the fields of Pitts and Seattle yesterday?

• LI Phil | January 6, 2008 at 11:34 am |

[quote comment=”198670″][quote comment=”198669″]Illinois is in the big ten, has a huge Chicago following and has been to a Basketball nat’l championship and Rose Bowl in the last 5 years…[/quote]
    As the kids say nowadays….. P3WNED![/quote]

actually its “pwn3d”

/just sayin

• Jason | January 6, 2008 at 11:40 am |

[quote comment=”198671″]got an answer possibly from my question on the west virginia memorial last night- from imdb messageboard the thing is it’s the 1970 WVU helmet design not the 1971 so I’m not sure if it’s true or not.[/quote]

According to this article, they wore the Marshall memorial in the 1971 spring game.

• LI Phil | January 6, 2008 at 11:48 am |

• Go Bucs!! | January 6, 2008 at 12:05 pm |

The Bucs are wearing White tops and Pewter pants today vs. the G-men. Odd.

• Mike Engle | January 6, 2008 at 12:11 pm |

• LI Phil | January 6, 2008 at 12:14 pm |

great…now i gotta go change jerseys for the damn game…and i guess the red compression undergarment gotta go too

damn bucs

• david | January 6, 2008 at 12:30 pm |

oklahoma has the same type of collar as the buckeyes…i am 95% sure i saw that same thing

• Joe O. | January 6, 2008 at 12:35 pm |

[quote comment=”198707″][quote comment=”198706″]The Bucs are wearing White tops and Pewter pants today vs. the G-men. Odd.[/quote]
    Nice mind game! The Giants are dynamite on the road, but maybe it’s the white jerseys that are good luck, not being out of New Jersey. Let’s see if the Giants join the Cowboys in the Bad Luck Blues Club.[/quote]

I think it may also be a heat tactic by Gruden. The G-Men have been dealing with cold winter temps for a while now in New Jersey, but its gonna be 80+ today in Tampa (It’s actually probably cooler in the bay…too bad its just a body of water with no stadium).

• Robb | January 6, 2008 at 12:36 pm |

NFL Live has an interesting image for the Chargers-Titans game, the picture on the screen behind Boomer has LT wearing Navy jerseys over Navy pants in the new uniform – sorry, no screen grab.

• Siller J | January 6, 2008 at 12:36 pm |

I’m always in favor of attempting uni mind tricks. Always. Maybe this will work against the Jints.

• LI Phil | January 6, 2008 at 12:38 pm |

[quote]I think it may also be a heat tactic by Gruden[/quote]

the way eli plays in the cold, the bucs should have been rooting for a blizzard…but i was thinkin about the ‘heat’ factor

more like an eli wearing blue factor methinks

either way…go jersey g-men!

• Taylor | January 6, 2008 at 1:01 pm |

• Stevo | January 6, 2008 at 1:12 pm |

It’s still the 2007 season.

• Bruce | January 6, 2008 at 1:13 pm |

• My Name is not Earl | January 6, 2008 at 1:14 pm |

With the Jags narrowly avoiding a Hillary-like collapse last night, I suppose we’ll see those black pants again next week, right?

• Joe O. | January 6, 2008 at 1:25 pm |

I don’t know if they should declare their white jersey as the home jersey…because then it is just confusing. Check out the miami dolphins pro shop. They list the white jersey as the home and the green as the away…but they almost NEVER wear the green on the road, actually they almost never wear the teal period. Should the bucs and dolphins declare the white jerseys as their primary and the colors as their alternate?

• James Craven | January 6, 2008 at 1:32 pm |

Well, how can you beat the Pirates of Pewter Pants?

• Dre | January 6, 2008 at 1:35 pm |

Regarding the “mesh” in the collar for OSU and the other Nike schools that may do that. It’s still stretchy material. That’s as much as anyone else hates Nike they’re still above what the other companies are doing.

I have a number of jerseys that I have obtained both Adidas and Nike and when Adidas (my 2005 UCLA Jersey,2004 ASU) was using tackle twil numbers and heavy regular mesh on it’s jerseys, Nike has the stretchy mesh and stretchy numbers and are much lighter and much more form fitting.

• Will Streit | January 6, 2008 at 1:41 pm |

Under Armour – http://sports.espn.g...

Army –

• S.W.P. | January 6, 2008 at 1:41 pm |

• Joe Kebard | January 6, 2008 at 1:52 pm |

• Art | January 6, 2008 at 1:54 pm |

• Art | January 6, 2008 at 1:54 pm |

• Ryan | January 6, 2008 at 2:09 pm |

• J | January 6, 2008 at 2:10 pm |

I have an authentic USC jersey, and the collar is the exact same way.

• Kerry P | January 6, 2008 at 2:10 pm |

MICHAEL CLAYTON.

• Joe Kebard | January 6, 2008 at 2:12 pm |

Are they white? I have noticed a few of those on guys from both teams. Looks like a sweatband or something.[/quote]

Yeah. I have a picture but I don’t know ho to post it (took it on my phone and e-mailed it).

And thanks to Kerry P – my bad on the name of the guy – Michael Clayton is correct.

• Jeremy | January 6, 2008 at 2:19 pm |

To those of you watching the Bucs-Giants game (especially Bucs fans): how long has Galloway been wearing the old-school chinstrap? I remember he used to always wear a four-point hookup with the bottom two undone; my guess is that he’s switched since they started fining players for having them unbuckled. (He’s making an amusing point, actually: he’s allowed to wear the smaller chinstrap, but not the unbuckled one, even though they should be equally effective.) I just find it weird to see a two-point on anybody who’s not a QB or kicker.

• todd krevanchi | January 6, 2008 at 2:28 pm |

i always liked this ‘phins jersey set up (do what you please with the pants… i dont care)

• Colin | January 6, 2008 at 2:36 pm |

The Bucs are likely banking on the fact that Eli’s spent an entire week preparing to throw to white jerseys. Not that he needs help finding the wrong team …

• Mike Engle | January 6, 2008 at 2:51 pm |

[quote comment=”198757″][quote comment=”198741″]Miami wears their aqua jerseys at home for night games on the road for games against the Cowboys, Redskins, Bucs (sometimes), and Texans (sometimes). Bring back the Marino 1980’s style Dolphins jerseys. Maybe Parcells will – he is old School!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

I think we can all agree that striped socks would be nice.
    I personally would love the Dolphins to lose the black accents. They’re stupid and superfluous (not to mention it would be ‘back to the glory days-ish).

• Pretty Boy Paulie | January 6, 2008 at 2:58 pm |

[quote comment=”198725″][quote comment=”198722″]I wish the Bucs would just decide on a home jersey already. There is so much technology in NFL unis (cooling equipment, shirts for different temperatures, etc.) what color jersey you have on shouldn’t make that much difference. Players are adults, they should be able to deal with being a little warm while exercising.[/quote]

Perhaps as adults they like to choose what color they wear, instead of following arbitrary rules. For example, I don’t only wear white in my home city and colors when I’m traveling. Wearing different colors at home adds variety to the game.[/quote]

AMEN!

• Paul Lukas | January 6, 2008 at 3:05 pm |

• Joe O. | January 6, 2008 at 3:16 pm |

• Paul Lukas | January 6, 2008 at 3:22 pm |

If anyone’s DVRing the Giants/Bucs game, please get me a screen grab of the new Mac commercial featuring the referee (the ad isn’t yet shown at apple.com). Thanks.

• Pretty Boy Paulie | January 6, 2008 at 3:22 pm |

It’s a bicep band, lot of guys wear them. It looks like Clayton has been wearing them for a while, they’re thinning out. A lot of players wear them ’til the bands tear. It must be a habit or superstition that causes guys not to replace them.
    These are the Nike ones, can’t find a stock photo of one with an NFL logo.

Only good shot I was able to find. It’s black but you get the idea.

• Spencer | January 6, 2008 at 3:23 pm |

[quote comment=”198737″]What are your thoughts on the two high school All-American games played yesterday. I liked the white and yellow Army unis but not the all-black and I’m not too sure what I think about the Under Armour jerseys.

Under Armour – http://sports.espn.g...

Army –

Looks like Texas Tech donated their uniforms to the cause.

What ever happened to the gold jersey rumor for Missouri? Arkansas went all red (and we know how that turned out), but Missouri could have gone gold and had plenty of contrast. UCF and Mississippi State both wore home jerseys, and Oregon and Oregon State did the same last year in the Civil War.

• Spencer | January 6, 2008 at 3:29 pm |

Oregon has a similar collar situation, but has that Vikings-ish triangle of fabric across the bottom of the collar.

• =bg= | January 6, 2008 at 3:32 pm |

[quote comment=”198738″]Got around to reading the Page 2 memorial patches article today. Now I understand hockey isn’t a sport here in America but I was curious as to why so many NHL memorials were left out. I went searching for Dan Snyder’s 37 patch worn by the Thrashers (and featured along their boards) after he was killed by teammate Dany Heatley and noticed a number of memorials went unmentioned. The CHS patch worn by the Avs, 9-11 patches worn by the Rangers and Capitals, the Steve Chiasson patch worn by Carolina, the SHK III patch worn in honor of Sabres’ founding owner, the Kings’ JKC crown, a ‘Cherished Memories’ patch to signify the death of the Winnipeg Jets, Vancouver’s ‘2 Points’ and BABE patches, the Blues’ Dan Kelly shamrock, Minnesota’s JM precursor to NJ’s JM, and more can be seen at NHLPatches.info or DropthePucks. And that doesn’t even mention that the NHL’s All-Star Game (and first uniforms) came about as benefit games for deceased players.[/quote]

Hockey isn’t a sport in America? So when I went to see the Sharks play…what was that?

• Stevo | January 6, 2008 at 3:33 pm |

I think the change with the jeresy collars could be comfort related. Speaking from experience, the stretchy material can shrink after repeated washings, causing the collar to tighten up a bit.

• Dan'yi Johnson | January 6, 2008 at 3:38 pm |

So much for the G-men withering in their “HOME” jerseys. They’re putting a serious smackdown on the Bucs in their own house…simply shameful. At least Pittsburgh made a credible attempt to defend their own house last night.

As for the Dolphins gear, as I understand it, they wear white jerseys over white pants at home (a nod to their glory days) and then white jerseys over teal pants on the road , then wear teal jerseys when they go on the road and play folks like the Cowpokes, Bucs, etc.

• C.N. | January 6, 2008 at 3:39 pm |

• Ed from Dallas | January 6, 2008 at 3:43 pm |

[quote]

This is a great matchup of teams that have false city names. The New Jersey Giants vs the Tampa Bucs.[/quote]

With the winner playing the Irving Cowboys.

• Joe O. | January 6, 2008 at 3:46 pm |

[quote comment=”198790″][quote comment=”198768″]Looks like my thought/Grudens plan is working…G-Men are withering in the heat in their dark jerseys…[/quote]

If that’s so, then why are the Jints up 24-7? I don’t think they’re withering at all, at least not yet- there are still just over three minutes left.[/quote]
    Sorry…I forgot to initiate my internet sarcasm notifier…

And to Paul…are you a maclover, or are you just trying to get on last shot of a ref wearing white pants?

• Joe O. | January 6, 2008 at 3:47 pm |

[quote comment=”198791″][quote]

With the winner playing the Irving Cowboys.[/quote]

Yea…and even my team is really the Opa Locka Dolphins!

• Paul Lukas | January 6, 2008 at 3:51 pm |

• Stevo | January 6, 2008 at 3:54 pm |

[quote comment=”198794″][quote comment=”198791″][quote]

With the winner playing the Irving Cowboys.[/quote]

Yea…and even my team is really the Opa Locka Dolphins![/quote]

I thought they were the Miami Gardens Dolphins.

• Dan'yi Johnson | January 6, 2008 at 3:57 pm |

Dolphins home, away, and teal/aqua treatments.

• Teebz | January 6, 2008 at 3:57 pm |

I wasn’t trying to document every memorial ever done — I was trying to show a range of what’s been done. There are quite a few memorials shown in the chart/table. I saw no reason to include things like the Snyder patch — it’s just a black patch with a number, which is a standard approach. I didn’t even come close to showing every baseball memorial — again, because most of them are just armbands or black circles. Hockey actually got a lot more play in the article than basketball did.[/quote]

I thought Paul did a good job at highlighting a few memorial patches from the NHL. Considering the number of memorial patches worn by NHL teams over the years, he only highlighted a few. It was not a comprehensive list.

They can be found on the internet, though. ;o)

• Stevo | January 6, 2008 at 3:58 pm |

I am a Mac guy, but my interest in this particular commercial lies in a few details of the uniform being worn by the ref. Just another day at the Uni Watch office.[/quote]

• Dan'yi Johnson | January 6, 2008 at 3:58 pm |

So the links refuse to act right; my apologies, all.

• felix | January 6, 2008 at 4:09 pm |

They can be found on the internet, though. ;o)[/quote]

• subway | January 6, 2008 at 4:22 pm |

[quote comment=”198797″][quote comment=”198794″][quote comment=”198791″][quote]

With the winner playing the Irving Cowboys.[/quote]

Yea…and even my team is really the Opa Locka Dolphins![/quote]

I thought they were the Miami Gardens Dolphins.[/quote]
    The Florida Dolphins?

• James Craven | January 6, 2008 at 4:25 pm |

Chargers: Navy jersey, white pants. Titans: White jersey, light blue pants.

BTW, if Parcells is really old school, he’ll return the 1972 jerseys.

• James Craven | January 6, 2008 at 4:29 pm |

[quote comment=”198800″]“Speaking of refs and commercials, have you seen the one (can’t remember who it’s for) where the officials says “I totally blew that play, it wasn’t even close, but I assure you I will make it up on the next play” or something like that? The best part of that one is that the ref’s number is 85, the same as the King of the Explanation, Ed Hercules.”[/quote]

Subway, and the shirt looks like something from Foot Locker!

• My Name is not Earl | January 6, 2008 at 4:54 pm |

I thought that $aban got rid of the dark pants, and Cameron didn’t wear them either (at home or on the road)

• ThresherK | January 6, 2008 at 4:55 pm |

[quote comment=”198704″]jeff garcia has knocked the g-men out of the playoffs as a niner and a eagle, but not as a lion or a brown…today he attempts to do so as a buc

has any qb ever beaten a single team 3 separate times in 3 different uni’s in the playoffs before?[/quote]

If we’re counting CFL (biiig if), I’m sure Doug Flutie has taken out Saskatchewan while with BC, Calgary and Toronto. (Too busy to look up.)

• Brian Ng | January 6, 2008 at 5:03 pm |

• Dan'yi Johnson | January 6, 2008 at 5:05 pm |

• Dan'yi Johnson | January 6, 2008 at 5:10 pm |

[quote comment=”198823″]Are NFL teams allowed to wear alternate jerseys in the playoffs? The Chargers should’ve gone with the powder blues today. Those navy jerseys look like previous generation Kent State jerseys…[/quote]

I’ll answer to my own nonsense. The Titans are wearing too much powder blue themselves (duh).

• S Dot | January 6, 2008 at 6:00 pm |

[quote comment=”198821″]Anyone notice that Jason Reda, # 13, in this pic that Bryan posted (http://farm3.static....) is wearing blacked out addidas even though Illinois is a Nike team.[/quote]

He is a kicker. Kickers usually are not subject to wearing the contract footwear as long as all the logos are painted over.

• art | January 6, 2008 at 6:21 pm |

My name is not Earl
    The photo of the Dolphins with the aqua pants is from a number of years ago. Notice the space between the number and the orange outline.

• PFGuay | January 6, 2008 at 6:29 pm |

It’s still the 2007 season.[/quote]

But its 2008

• Jordan | January 6, 2008 at 6:35 pm |

• Original Jim | January 6, 2008 at 6:50 pm |

• John in Athens | January 6, 2008 at 7:08 pm |

[quote comment=”198844″][quote comment=”198724″][quote comment=”198694″]Shouldn’t it have said “2008” on the fields of Pitts and Seattle yesterday?[/quote]

It’s still the 2007 season.[/quote]

But its 2008[/quote]

And both New York football teams play in New Jersey.

• Glenn | January 6, 2008 at 7:12 pm |

I did see the commercial, but I wasn’t at home, so no DV-R. The referee was wearing a jersey with the old 2-inch NFL stripes. It was not one of the newer models.[/quote]

• Johnny O | January 6, 2008 at 7:17 pm |

Hi, I’m a Mac

And I’m a PC

Am I’m a ref with really cool socks

• Big L | January 6, 2008 at 7:19 pm |

just showed an AFL Championship (’61?) flashback between the oilers and chargers, and the ref in that spot wore red stripes. Really neat vintage shot

• Big L | January 6, 2008 at 7:20 pm |

Let me clarify, CBS showed a video during the Titans-Chargers game in the 4th quarter.

• =bg= | January 6, 2008 at 7:20 pm |

Think the Chargers look great. I like the Titans but would love their look if they’d change to a navy helmet.

PS Paul is the site having tech problems? I was getting 404 for awhile.

• LI Phil | January 6, 2008 at 7:21 pm |

are you looking for this paul?

• Chad | January 6, 2008 at 7:23 pm |
  • Glenn | January 6, 2008 at 7:23 pm |
  • LI Phil | January 6, 2008 at 7:24 pm |

or this

should be larger

• Stevo | January 6, 2008 at 7:24 pm |

It’s still the 2007 season.[/quote]

But its 2008[/quote]

But it’s the 2007 season, so these playoffs are the 2007 edition, even though they are taking place in 2008.

• LI Phil | January 6, 2008 at 7:32 pm |

transcript of teh mac v pc ref ad:

(A referee stands between Mac and PC)
    Mac: Hello I’m a Mac
    PC: And I’m a PC
    (Referee blows a whistle)
    (PC Chuckles)
    Referee: You may begin
    (Referee walks to his play review viewer)
    Mac: Why is there a referee?
    PC: To be sure you play fair Mac, so you don’t go boasting about how Leopard is better and faster than Vista.
    (Referee emerges from play review viewer)
    Mac: Well I didn’t say that, the Wall Street Journal said that.
    PC: Well, lets wait for the call.
    Referee: After further review, the ruling stands Leopard is better and faster than Vista.
    PC: WHAT?! That’s a ridiculous call! What are you blind? What’s the matter with you?
    (Referee points at PC)
    Referee: You’re ejected.
    PC: Ejected? You can’t eject me!
    (PC, with his back to the camera, wonders away and throws his hands up)
    PC: Where am I supposed to go?

• Skycat | January 6, 2008 at 7:39 pm |

Hi, I’m a Mac

And I’m a PC

Am I’m a ref with really cool socks[/quote]

It appears the ref is wearing a pro uni, but with Northwestern stripes that college refs wear (also seen on the Giants’ road jerseys). http://en.wikipedia....

• Mike Engle | January 6, 2008 at 7:49 pm |

[quote comment=”198878″][quote comment=”198865″][quote comment=”198861″][quote comment=”198795″][quote comment=”198792″]Paul…are you a maclover, or are you just trying to get on last shot of a ref wearing white pants?[/quote]

Hi, I’m a Mac

And I’m a PC

Am I’m a ref with really cool socks[/quote]

The ad‘s up.

• Skycat | January 6, 2008 at 7:49 pm |

To clarify post #84: The “Northwestern stripes” refer to the ref’s socks.

• ToasterPoodle | January 6, 2008 at 8:03 pm |

Under Armour – http://sports.espn.g...

Army –

Double Sucky, though the Army one is a little better.

• Marcus Hall -- No More Billick!!! | January 6, 2008 at 8:03 pm |

[quote comment=”198863″][quote comment=”198861″][quote comment=”198795″][quote comment=”198792″]Paul…are you a maclover, or are you just trying to get on last shot of a ref wearing white pants?[/quote]

Not only that, however, the guy’s socks don’t match either. One pant cuff on the calf is slightly higher than the other, but the stripes themselves are differently spaced. I’ll try to screen-grab if I can.[/quote]

Just looks like one sock is pulled up a little higher than the other

• James Craven | January 6, 2008 at 8:04 pm |

• Marcus Hall -- No More Billick!!! | January 6, 2008 at 8:09 pm |

no cohesion with tulsa’s unis

• LI Phil | January 6, 2008 at 8:15 pm |

[quote comment=”198894″]no cohesion with tulsa’s unis[/quote]

• Marcus Hall -- No More Billick!!! | January 6, 2008 at 8:21 pm |

tulsa doesn’t have enough crap on their jerseys, especially with the hugh jass numbers, gold collar swath, and nike lumbar-wraparounds[/quote]

• C.N. | January 6, 2008 at 8:21 pm |

[quote comment=”198893″]Bowling Green’s wearing the interlocked “BG” on their helmets in the GMAC Bowl tonight. Is that a change for this year where there is no Falcon head?[/quote]

• LI Phil | January 6, 2008 at 8:26 pm |

non-uni related but is anyone watching the rocket perjure hisself on 60 min?

• Marcus Hall -- No More Billick!!! | January 6, 2008 at 8:41 pm |

nope, but if he speaks with the same matter-of-factness as rafael palmeiro did when he spoke to congress, then we already know what’s up

• Jeffrey | January 6, 2008 at 8:58 pm |

well we could discuss his pinpoint oxford, light blue.

• LI Phil | January 6, 2008 at 9:03 pm |

[quote comment=”198754″][quote comment=”198739″]Watching Bucs-Giants…I notice a shot of the Bucs huddle where #80 (Mark Clayton?) had something odd on his arms. They were too small for elbow pads – it was what looked like a string with and NFL Equipment patch behind each elbow. Very bizarre and looked like it would serve no purpose. No screen grab avail – but take a look next time the offense is on the field.[/quote]
    MICHAEL CLAYTON.[/quote]

the truth can be adjusted

• Scott | January 6, 2008 at 9:12 pm |

• Marcus Hall -- No More Billick!!! | January 6, 2008 at 9:14 pm |

American Gladiators uniforms – BEAUTIFUL!!!!

• LI Phil | January 6, 2008 at 9:17 pm |

[quote comment=”198907″]did anyone notice the NOB on Amani Toomer today in the Giants game. It looked like the letters were unevenly spaced, and farther down toward the numbers than anyone else. I don’t have a screen grab though……[/quote]

here

• LI Phil | January 6, 2008 at 9:25 pm |

well we could discuss his pinpoint oxford, light blue.[/quote]

looks purple

/guilty

• C.N. | January 6, 2008 at 10:14 pm |

[quote comment=”198910″][quote comment=”198904″][quote comment=”198898″]non-uni related but is anyone watching the rocket perjure hisself on 60 min?[/quote]

well we could discuss his pinpoint oxford, light blue.[/quote]

looks purple

/guilty[/quote]

ESPN.com called Clemens’ shirt “lavender”.

• Stuby | January 6, 2008 at 10:25 pm |

[quote comment=”198894″]no cohesion with tulsa’s unis[/quote]

• Nate | January 6, 2008 at 10:27 pm |

i noticed during the Under Armor all start game that some of the players were wearing the schutt ion, while everyone else wore the DNA

• Nate | January 6, 2008 at 10:28 pm |

thats should be all star

• Nate | January 6, 2008 at 10:28 pm |

geez i can’t spell

• LI Phil | January 6, 2008 at 10:37 pm |

[quote comment=”198896″][quote comment=”198895″][quote comment=”198894″]no cohesion with tulsa’s unis[/quote]

i think what’s bothering me is that they need more patches, nike swooshes on the sholders…….(tongue could never be planted more firmly in my cheek)[/quote]

i mean look at this shit

giant #s, the horns from the stupid nike lumbar design, that gold collar with the “TU”, right beneath that is “tulsa”, big swoosh, GMAC patch, AND a distant replays ad

• Marcus Hall -- No More Billick!!! | January 6, 2008 at 10:44 pm |

[quote comment=”198917″][quote comment=”198894″]no cohesion with tulsa’s unis[/quote]
    I like the ginormous numbers, but you’re right. Just a bunch of crap thrown together. Like the Minute Maid Park of unis.[/quote]

it seemed like there was about 4 different uniform ideas going on there, miami hurricanes meets denver broncos meets some other stuff

• G-mize | January 6, 2008 at 10:48 pm |

• steve | January 6, 2008 at 11:03 pm |

Clemens’ fate should be decided on gladiators

• TommyDs | January 6, 2008 at 11:06 pm |

After watching 3 quarters of BGSU/Tulsa, I am thrilled that the rumors surrounding the Browns changing thier uniform style have been discredited. I was kind of a fan of the orange alternate though.
    Not uni related, sorry, but Tulsa’s RB just ran straight over a BGSU defender on a slip pass. Nasty.

• Avocado Butters | January 6, 2008 at 11:14 pm |

• Original Jim | January 6, 2008 at 11:20 pm |

Hi, I’m a Mac

And I’m a PC

Am I’m a ref with really cool socks[/quote]

Those are just NCAA socks. So the referee is wearing an outdated NFL jersey with NCAA socks.

He does need to blouse the cuffs a little more, though…they should be higher, closer to the knee.

• LI Phil | January 6, 2008 at 11:27 pm |

I was wondering about Drazen as well. Hard to believe the Nets wouldn’t mark his passing somehow, but I haven’t found a thing. Guess I’ll keep looking.[/quote]

here and here and here are some things…not uni related but interesting…

• Avocado Butters | January 6, 2008 at 11:59 pm |

[quote comment=”198933″][quote comment=”198930″][quote comment=”198925″]Off the cuff question, but has anyone seen or remember any uni-related tributes to Drazen Petrovic? Thanks for any help. He died in a car crash on a German autobahn in the summer of ’93, so any patches, etc. would be from the ’93-94 season. Thanks.[/quote]

here and here and here are some things…not uni related but interesting…

plus, i believe the nets honored him by playing the next 5 years with only 4 players on the court at any one time[/quote]

Maybe I’m just jaded by the patch-crazy era we live in now. I’m just surprised the Nets didn’t (as far as I’ve been able to tell) memorialize him somehow on their unis. Maybe we should make a list of players who have led their team in scoring, passed away in the off season, and then gone without a patch.

I did find this (blurry) picture of Drazen in action back when he was wearing a Euro-uni. Any ideas what’s on those socks?

• James Craven | January 7, 2008 at 12:21 am |

[quote comment=”198908″]“American Gladiators uniforms – BEAUTIFUL.”!!!![/quote]

As far as Van Earl Wright’s announcing…BRING BACK FUCKIN’ MIKE ADAMLE!

• Mike | January 7, 2008 at 1:23 am |

[quote comment=”198802″][quote comment=”198799″][quote comment=”198767″][quote comment=”198738″]Got around to reading the Page 2 memorial patches article today. Now I understand hockey isn’t a sport here in America but I was curious as to why so many NHL memorials were left out.[/quote]

They can be found on the internet, though. ;o)[/quote]

Really? Where? I wish someone would put a list together. Maybe on a blog or something.[/quote]

that would have to be done by someone with a lot of free time and a lot of passion in patches.

• Chuck Ryals | January 7, 2008 at 5:59 am |

[quote comment=”198848″]I live in Ohio and I remember when Ohio State first announced they were changing their uniforms. People were furious and there was lots of hate directed at Ohio State/Nike. Nike said with the new meshy material that is form fitting, there was no way they could fit the old stripes on the uniform, thus they went to the stripes they have now. I will admit I hated the idea at first but now I kind of like the new uniforms.[/quote]

I am still upset! the jersey with the gray stripes were awesome!

• trojans24 | January 7, 2008 at 9:51 pm |

USC has the same mesh around the collor construction (half mesh & half shoulder material).

• Al | January 15, 2008 at 6:10 pm |

I was wondering if anyone noticed this … the unforms worn by OSU for the BCS title game had numbers that were a sight smaller than at any time during the year. In fact, at times, they resembled the NY Giants in their alternate reds. Weird.