Let’s See Some I.D.

I know most of you don’t care about the stuff I post over at Permanent Record. And even those of you who do care (hi Robert, hi James, hi David!) probably prefer it when the PermaRec posts are relatively short, or at least manageable. But every now and then I tap into something that merits a lengthier treatment, and that I think Uni Watch readers ought to take a look at. Today is one of those days.

So: I’ve recently become mildly obsessed with old employee photo I.D. badges like the ones shown above. They’re beautiful, they’re evocative, and they have lots of stories to tell. They’re also very uni-oriented, because everyone at a given company had to wear the same basic badge design. Maybe that’s part of why they appeal to me so much.

You can learn more about the employee badges, how I got obsessed with them, and some stories emanating from a few of them in the latest PermaRec entry. Even if you don’t usually look at the PermaRec stuff, I think you’ll like this one — please give it a look. Thanks.

mask.png

Unmasking the Commenters: I recently invited the site’s commenters to tell us a bit more about themselves and to give us a peek at what they look like, just because I thought it would be fun to pull back the internet’s curtain of anonymity. I plan to showcase everyone who’s responded so far, beginning with DenverGregg — a good choice for the lead-off spot because he’s often the first reader to post a comment each morning. Here he is (click to enlarge):

IMG_20140304_082907_114-1.jpg

I’m DenverGregg. I’ve used this pseudonym on a variety of websites since 1995 due to my cumbersome last name and my love for my hometown. I’ve been reading Uni Watch since it was on Slate [that would have been in 2003 and ’04 — PL]. I’m one of the older commenters — my beard is old enough to legally buy booze or, I suppose, weed. This get-up is explained by Fat Tuesday, an event I both enjoy and resemble. I’ve worked as an anonymous restaurant reviewer, which was remarkably fun, and in sundry other jobs that have been less fun to varying degrees. These days I work in hospital finance. Most mornings I can be seen walking two exuberantly friendly dogs right after my daily fix of Uni Watch.

Thanks, Gregg — and thanks also for your many worthwhile comments over the years. You help make Uni Watch a better place.

I’ll be featuring more commenters (and, eventually, Ticker contributors and maybe even readers/lurkers) in the days and weeks to come. If you’re a semi-regular commenter on the site and want to be featured here, send me a photo and a quick paragraph about yourself. You don’t have to reveal your real name, and the photo doesn’t have to show your face, but you must include a photo to be considered. Send everything here.

’Skins Watch: Although the Indians appear to be phasing out Wahoo for most applications, he’s still being worn by Slider the mascot, and also by the female hot dog mascot and some other food mascots (as noted by Brady Phelps).

Baseball News: Before he got into broadcasting, Keith Olbermann spent some time in the 1970s as a baseball photographer. He was recently going through some of his old photos when he came across this shot of Jim Fregosi wearing the Rangers’ 1975 jersey in 1976. That all-caps “TEXAS” jersey was only worn in ’75 — the next year they went to this design. But Olbermann says the photo is definitely from ’76. For one thing, it was clearly taken at Yankee Stadium, which was closed for renovations in ’75. For another, Olbermann says he wasn’t yet working as a shutterbug in ’75, so the photo couldn’t have been from that year. And if you look in background, it appears that Fregosi’s teammate was wearing the’76 jersey with the ’76 sleeve patch. It’s not clear why Fregosi was wearing the ’75 jersey, but maybe it was just a batting practice thing (BP jerseys hadn’t been invented yet). …Speaking of 1976, I remember how A’s owner Charley Finley sold Rollie Fingers and Joe Rudi to the Bosox for $1 million apiece that year, and I remember how MLB Commissioner Bowie Kuhn quickly nullified the deal before Fingers and Rudi could play for Boston. What I don’t remember is seeing this great photo of Rudi and Fingers in Bosox gear (big thanks to Doug Keklak). … A Manhattan resident is suing his landlord because his apartment, which featured a ton of MLB bobbleheads and other baseball trinks, was mistakenly cleaned out (from Bruce Menard). … Yeesh, look what Georgia Tech was wearing the other day. “School colors don’t mean much anymore,” says Mike Raymer. Meanwhile, note the now-outdated logo on the umps Reebok footwear. … Check out this great 1962 shot of the Mets’ relievers huddling under Mets blankets on a cold Polo Grounds day. … Speaking of the Amazin’s, I was watching yesterday afternoon’s Mets/Marlins game and was struck by the sight of new Mets OF Chris Young wearing No. 1. Young is 6’2″, 190, which seems kinda big to be wearing No. 1, no? I’m used to that number being worn by little fellas! Young wore 24 and 25 with the D-Backs and A’s, so I don’t know why he switched to 1 this season. … Check out this clip from the old Jimmy Piersall biopic Fear Strikes Out. “Piersall’s Red Sox teammates are wearing high-number, non-baseball jersey numbers, and Piersall himself is shown wearing double-striping on his jersey sleeves,” notes Jake Elwell. “I wonder if the former was done so the studio wouldn’t have to pay any other players for their image rights. And the latter may have been a subtle way of making Jimmy stand out from his teammates in game scenes.” … A tequila sunrise jersey and a baseball with a clock embedded in it: two great tastes that taste great together (from Scott Fite). … I’m pretty sure the only people who care about the jerseys for the MLB Futures Game are the players who get to wear them, but here’s this year’s set anyway (thanks, Phil). … Several Phillies were wearing caps for the Baseball Assistance Team — that’s one of MLB’s charities — yesterday (from Harrison Tishler). … Also from Harrison: We’d previously seen the St. Paddy’s Day jerseys, but I don’t think we’ve seen these St. Paddy’s Day caps.

NFL News: The Bills won’t be playing their annual game in Toronto in 2014. … Here’s the latest on the OKC NFL uni-design contest. “If I’ve learned anything from this, it’s that the average internet user is better at design than whoever approved the new Buccaneers jerseys,” says Justin Cliburn. … If changes to the Browns uniforms are inevitable, long-suffering fan Christopher Noice hopes it looks something like this. “There’s no purer symbol of football than Paul Brown on the side of your head,” he says.

College Football News: Even after the Sandusky/Paterno scandal, the Penn State “brand” still has plenty of value (thanks, Phil). … “Clemson has ‘unretired’ quarterback Steve Fuller’s No. 4 for freshman quarterback Deshaun Watson — apparently with Fuller’s permission, although I disagree with the whole unretiring of retired numbers thing,” says Austin Pendergast. “But check out these two pictures of Watson at spring practice today. In the first one he just has a plain No. 4 practice jersey, but in the second one there’s a commemorative patch honoring Fuller. I guess someone just came and ironed it on mid-practice or something. It will be interesting to see if a patch appears on his game jersey as well.”

Hockey News: Martin St. Louis, acquired yesterday by the Rangers, did a pregame interview in a jersey and flip-flops (from Alan Kreit). … Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: Predators goalie Pekka Rinne began wearing a new mask during his rehab stint with the Milwaukee Admirals and will continue to wear it with the Preds.

Soccer News: More MLS releases (yes, I realize some of these leaked last week), this time for New York, Philly, L.A., Colorado, Vancouver, and Columbus. … Wanna have a nice massage? Then get yourself one of Italy’s World Cup jerseys, which will feature “micro-massage” technology. No word on whether the shorts deliver a micro-hand job. … Brazil switched jerseys at halftime of yesterday’s friendly match against South Africa (thanks, Phil). … Fernando Cardenas was in class yesterday and noticed the guy in front of him wearing the new Colombia jersey. “On the back of the neck it says “Unidos por un País” (united for one country), but Adidas didn’t included the accent on the ‘i,’” he says. “Funny, forgivable mistake.” … Why are so many World Cup teams going mono-colored? Because FIFA thinks it will make for better HDTV transmissions (thanks, Phil). … I think we already had this in the Ticker last week, but just in case: FIFA says turbans and yarmulkes = OK, message-emblazoned undershirts = not OK (Phil again). … Kosovo played its first FIFA-sanctioned international match yesterday, and went CNOB — that’s country name on back — for the occasion (from Yusuke Toyoda).

College Hoops News:The Americans on FX usually does a great job re-creating the early ’80s, which is the time period in which the show is set,” says Preston Feiler. “But in last week’s season opener, there was a carnival scene that featured basketballs with modern logos. The UNC ball has a logo and wordmark used from 1999-present. Pitt’s ball contains a couple of wordmarks used since 1997. The UGA ball is using a wordmark from 2002. The bulldog-face logo has been used since 1964. Maryland’s ball has a wordmark from 1997 and a logo from 2001. Florida State’s ball is hard to tell, but the logo and wordmark seem to be the post-1990 version. Finally, the Michigan ball has a 1996 update version of their logo and wordmark.”

Grab Bag: Someone is auctioning off Col. Harlan “KFC” Sanders’s white cotton suit (big thanks to my pal David Brown). … Interesting infographic on the anatomy of a smart city (from Robert Erickson). … New logo for the Chicago-based investment firm Jones Lang LaSalle. … New logo set for VCU athletics (thanks, Phil). … I don’t know what quidditch jerseys are — and I have a feeling I don’t want to know — but they’re available from the Harry Potter shop (from Yancy Yeater). … A day care center in Kentucky uses a script “C” very similar to the one used in the Chick-fil-A logo (from Josh Claywell). … See you tonight at the “Baseball as Good Medicine” event. The story I’ll be telling isn’t uni-related, but I think you’ll enjoy it all the same.

117 comments to Let’s See Some I.D.

• Gordon | March 6, 2014 at 7:44 am |

“Goergia Tech”

• Paul Lukas | March 6, 2014 at 7:49 am |

Thanks. Fixed.

• Mark in Shiga | March 6, 2014 at 7:57 am |

And no complaints about that photo, either; I like almost everything about it, including not just the all-dark Tech uniforms, but also the shadowed number on the back of the baserunner.

Now if Tech swapped those blue sleeves out for something in gray or white, to match the cap, it would be perfect. Think 1910-vintage Chicago Cubs. All-dark uniforms look great and are under-used in baseball.

• Chris Holder | March 6, 2014 at 8:13 am |

Is the uniform itself a dark gray, or does it have more of a bluish tint? Maybe it’s my monitor, but I can’t really tell. Either way, I agree – I see nothing wrong with it. I wish the MLB teams would mix it up with their, ahem, shades of gray.

• Bic | March 6, 2014 at 9:58 am |

Oh come on, EVERYONE knows that uniforms can only be two colors white and gray. Paul has shrieked this on many an occasion, just like he wishes baseball wasn’t integrated because y’know, ‘tradition’ and all that.

• Paul Lukas | March 6, 2014 at 10:49 am |

This guy, who leaves troll-ish comments a few times a week, clearly aspires to be the new Big Cock Johnson. But he’s not even the same ballpark. Sad.

• Alex Poterack | March 6, 2014 at 7:47 am |

On big guys wearing #1, Corey Hart wore it for 8 years or so in Milwaukee,and he’s 6’6″, 235. This might be an interesting list to make.

• FiteClub | March 6, 2014 at 9:53 am |

Uniform number 1 seems to go well with guys like Ozzie Smith, Pee Wee Reese, Richie Ashburn, Lou Whitaker, Tony Fernandez, Bobby Doerr…

There were some non-conventional 1’s over the years…
      Del Crandall, an All-Star catcher for the Braves in the 60s wore it. You don’t see catchers with that digit very often.

Slugging outfielder Bobby Murcer wore it for the Yankees for 6 years before being traded to the Cubs. When he came back to the Yanks, Billy Martin had taken it over.

Gary Sheffield wore it for the Brewers when he first came up to the majors. Of course, at that point he was still a skinny shortstop, not a slugging outfielder.

Hall of Fame outfielder Chuck Klein wore it for just one year, 1938. It was the worst season of his career.

• Shane | March 6, 2014 at 10:34 am |

When I played soccer in HS, the bigger shirts were the low numbers.

Being a fairly large dude, I ended up with #1, playing forward. Weird stuff.

• Tom V. | March 6, 2014 at 3:07 pm |

Mookie. Probably my favorite Met.

• wfy | March 6, 2014 at 8:00 am |

if you are going to call it the Sandusky/Paterno scandal you ought to call it the Sandusky/Curley/Schultz/Spanier/Paterno scandal to include the administrators who were actually indicted. it was not just Joe Paterno who blew it. I don’t want anybody getting a free pass on their lack of common sense.

• Garrett Van Auken | March 6, 2014 at 8:00 am |

Corey Hart wore number 1 while he was with the Brewers. He’s 6’6, 235. I always though it looked good on him. http://www.baseball-...

• FiteClub | March 6, 2014 at 9:58 am |

There were some non-conventional 1’s over the years…

• FiteClub | March 6, 2014 at 11:13 am |

Sorry for double post :/

• Jim | March 6, 2014 at 8:08 am |

Perkin’s/Piersall’s uni is missing the front piping and collar spoon, the numbers are the wrong font, and the stripes on the sleeves are too thick. Great socks and caps though.

• terriblehuman | March 6, 2014 at 8:18 am |

Against South Africa, yesterday, Brazil wore yellow in the first half and blue in the second half.

South Africa, on the other hand, wore Nelson Mandela’s prisoner number on their jerseys while Brazilian players wore armbands with the number.

• Rob S | March 6, 2014 at 8:31 am |

404′d on the second and third links…

• Mark in Shiga | March 6, 2014 at 8:51 am |

There’s an extraneous quote mark at the end of both of those URLs. Take it out and the photos display just fine.

And I love those number-only South Africa jersey backs! A nice, clean, timeless look.

• terriblehuman | March 6, 2014 at 9:39 am |

Yeah, I like it when teams do that for friendlies – no NOB, and starters wear 1-11, regardless of their favorite numbers.

USA did that too at the very start of Jürgen’s reign, but the policy’s been dropped, unfortunately. I blame Nike.

• Padday | March 6, 2014 at 1:31 pm |

It’s one of the things I love about rugby – the numbers are tied to positions, not individual players, so you always get 1-15 as the starting lineup and no NOBs. Even the subs are ordered accordingly (ie. the number 16 is always the replacement hooker etc.).

You get a similar thing in GAA sports though it’s not as strict and generally if there’s a last minute change to the starting team then they won’t bother to swap jersey numbers.

• Connie DC | March 6, 2014 at 8:55 am |

Talking about soccer…

We UW World Cup addicts owe tons to the tireless Phil, who always seems to have a tasty item in every morning’s Soccer update. Today’s example – that yes, indeed, FIFA is bullying national teams to wear monochromes – is a typically Phil major item.

But most of all, thanks to the rest of yez — terrible, Thresh8, and others whom I’m forgetfully slighting – for making Uni Watch so mandatory during these big weeks.

Yesterday, DenverGregg and Padday contributed over-the-top fabulous report cards on every uni of every World Cup national team. Check them out if you haven’t yet.

• DenverGregg | March 6, 2014 at 9:10 am |

Thanks for the kind words, sir!

It just occurred to me that, were my arm a bit longer when I took that selfie, my ID badge would be visible and thus there would be a connection between the two bits.

• terriblehuman | March 6, 2014 at 9:37 am |

Sorry, Brazil armbands and blue shirts in the second half. For some reason, they didn’t wear the prison number armbands in the first half.

• Todd R | March 6, 2014 at 8:23 am |

Paul-regarding the Phillies and B.A.T.—yesterday the Baseball Assistance Team visited the Phillies as part of their Spring Training tour in which they speak to clubs about mission of B.A.T. and the support the organization provides. They talk to the players and leave behind some apparel swag, a good way to get the logo out there and publicize the good work that they do. A great cause and one that I am very proud to lend my support to.

• Dumb Guy | March 6, 2014 at 8:30 am |

What is that yellow thing/stuff on the back of Jim Fregosi’s hand???

• Paul Lukas | March 6, 2014 at 8:52 am |

You mean his batting glove?

• Dumb Guy | March 6, 2014 at 9:59 am |

Perhaps. I guess it is Tan and Yellow? Yellow?? I know he played for the Pirates, but I thought after Texas. Why yellow???

• Paul Lukas | March 6, 2014 at 10:21 am |

Batting gloves were rarely if ever team-colored in those days.

• boxcarvibe | March 6, 2014 at 9:42 am |

Fregosi looks like he’s getting ready to wallop a slow-pitch softball, not a BP fastball.

• Rob S | March 6, 2014 at 8:30 am |

… yeah, I think there’s only a vague similarity here, and that’s mainly because of the font used (Remedy single).

• Dumb Guy | March 6, 2014 at 8:36 am |

RE: the baseball “clock”….

If that thing is what I think it is, it is a ball that times how long it takes the ball to get from the thrower’s hand to the catcher’s mitt. This looks like the old/vintage type that had a button you would hold down while winding up, then release as it was thrown (naturally). When it thumped into the catcher’s mitt the timer would stop. Then you got do some math!!

They still make them today, but with a bit better/easier technology.

• David | March 6, 2014 at 9:05 am |

I had a couple of the Radar Balls that did the math for you, and gave you MPH instead of time.

• FiteClub | March 6, 2014 at 9:33 am |

That baseball speed clock advertisement appeared in a 1987 dealer catalogue. For the time, it was probably a pretty cool novelty item for the aspiring big leaguer.

• Paul Lukas | March 6, 2014 at 9:48 am |

[Insert joke about Buccaneers number font here.]

• pedro | March 6, 2014 at 9:11 am |

In re: The Jimmy Piersall biopic “Fear Strikes Out”

As the old joke goes, the movie set baseball back 20 years, psychiatry back 30 years and movie making back 40 years.

• quiet seattle | March 6, 2014 at 10:27 am |

I dunno, it’s my favorite sports movie ever. Melodramatic, sure, and Perkins didn’t much look like an athlete, but still affecting and heartbreaking. And Karl Malden? Riveting.

• robert brashear | March 6, 2014 at 10:48 am |

Also notice that at the :08 mark, Piersall’s cap has a Brooklyn B not a Boston B

• Chance Michaels | March 6, 2014 at 4:36 pm |

Looks like the Red Sox logo to me. Of course, in ’57 the Dodgers wore Boston’s “B”…

• Chance Michaels | March 6, 2014 at 5:14 pm |

Damn. ’55. See below.

• Phil Hecken | March 6, 2014 at 9:21 am |

“No word on whether the shorts deliver a micro-hand job.”

~~~

Someone owes me a new keyboard…

• John Q | March 6, 2014 at 9:25 am |

I think there was some video footage of Fingers and Rudi wearing their Red Sox gear. I always thought that was strange that they were wearing Red Sox gear before the trade was completed. Man, baseball in the 1970′s was certainly strange. I wish Ken Burns would have done a 6 hour documentary just on 1970′s baseball.

• FiteClub | March 6, 2014 at 9:37 am |

My favorite era for sure. I’m not old enough to have enjoyed it at the time it but in the 1980s I read every book I could find, which for public libraries back then meant lots of outdated books from the 1970s. I can still remember nearly every starting lineup and rotation from mid- to late-70s teams better than I can recall lineups form the current decade.

• Gordon Harvey | March 6, 2014 at 9:44 am |

I loved the metspics twitter feed. I wonder if there’s possibility of crowdsourcing the great twitter feeds that post stuff like this: metspics, mlbcathedrals, etc etc. I’d love to follow a list like that. As always, this is the first site I visit each morning in the office as I have that foist cup of coffee. Many thanks for my daily uni fix.

• LilyB | March 6, 2014 at 9:48 am |

RE: Quidditch…

Harry Potter is one of those young adult fictions that has an obsessive fanbase, but quidditch is kind of interesting because it’s been translated into the sports world. Granted, it’s more of a sport you’d find on ESPN 8: The Ocho, but it’s still out there.

Basically, you’ve gotta hold a broom between your legs and try to throw a ball through a series of hoops, while one of your teammates goes and chases a guy as he runs around campus after an X minute head start.

That being said, these jerseys look like something that college teams could wear, but hey, if you’re gonna be holding a broom between your legs with one hand and trying to throw a ball through a hoop, you might as well look good doing it. Plus, throw in some stirrups and things wouldn’t look totally godawful.

• Phil Hecken | March 6, 2014 at 9:54 am |

“you’ve gotta hold a broom between your legs and try to throw a ball through a series of hoops, while one of your teammates goes and chases a guy as he runs around campus after an X minute head start.”

~~~

I loved the HP books, and thought the movies did incredible justice to JK’s vision of “real” Quiddich, but the muggle version, no offense, sounds incredibly stupid. But then again, the only sport I feel should be using a broom is curling. And of course, the handle only for stickball, if one cannot find the proper bat.

• Dumb Guy | March 6, 2014 at 10:05 am |

Surely to lead to some embarrassing Emergency Room visits.

• scottrj | March 6, 2014 at 10:38 am |

Oh they’re serious about it alright…

And hoo boy, is it stoopid…

• LilyB | March 6, 2014 at 11:12 am |

1000% agree with you, Phil. I was just kind of hoping that these new quidditch unis would knock my socks off. Stupid sport with so much uni-potential.

But yeah, the muggle version is kinda stupid. I think that the snitch is just some guy who tucks a rock in a sock and then puts it in a belt loop and runs around campus or something. I’m not sure if that’s really what goes on because I stopped halfway through in order to burst out laughing.

• Lance Smith | March 6, 2014 at 11:57 am |

Broomball comes to mind.

• quiet seattle | March 6, 2014 at 10:01 am |

The employee badges…..I am speechless.

The most remarkable thing.

Honestly…

• Connie DC | March 6, 2014 at 10:23 am |

They are totally absorbing… A great subject, well rendered.

• Matthew Radican | March 6, 2014 at 11:40 am |

Each one is like a little piece of artwork.

I probably shouldn’t mention this but Goshen is only about 150 or so miles north and east of my hometown of Indianapolis. Goshen High School’s athletic teams nickname is ….

the Redskins.

• Joe Owen | March 6, 2014 at 10:10 am |

Regarding Chris Young and #1, I remember hearing that Michael Jackson (later known as Michael Dyson) wore #1 during his rookie year with the Browns because the number was tall and skinny like Jackson himself (6’4″, 195). Perhaps Young and Corey Hart used the same logic.

Regardless, seeing #1 on WR in the NFL in the early 90s was odd.

• Thomas J | March 6, 2014 at 10:22 am |

Just a theory but I suspect that Nike is obsessed with uses typeface to “tell a story” because there isn’t much space left on the jersey to make it distinctive. On a football jersey the numbers take up almost all the space on the front and back and with the sleeves practically gone there’s little left to distinguish one jersey from another. Or to put it another way, there’s less to sell to a team looking for an identity.

• Rydell | March 6, 2014 at 10:33 am |

Nice to meet you DenverGregg!

Anyone have any idea what is going on with the Capitals uniform selection recently? Have they switched to their original, which I prefer. Their current uni’s look more like an alternate.

• Mike D. | March 6, 2014 at 10:36 am |

After seeing most of the World Cup jerseys in action yesterday, I have to say Nike’s batch looks a lot better than Adidas’ and Puma’s. That France kit is classy.

I also like how each nation gets custom number fonts from Nike, instead of a generic number font.

• robert brashear | March 6, 2014 at 10:46 am |

If you look at the :08 point of the Piersall video note the B on the cap is a Brooklyn B and not a Boston B

• Chance Michaels | March 6, 2014 at 4:54 pm |

No, I don’t think that’s correct. That looks like the Red Sox to me.

Brooklyn’s B is identifiable by the triangular notch> between the vertical bar and the loops. Instantly defined the Dodgers’ caps, even in a small size. That is, until 1955, when Boston-based McAuliffe had the Dodgers’ uniform contract and gave them the same B they had already been supplying to the Red Sox.

But in that clip? Double outline, no notch: definitely a Red Sox logo.

• KW | March 6, 2014 at 11:10 am |

Has anyone ever given any thought to the lighting levels at NBA arenas, especially lighting levels of the stands? That seems to fall under aesthetics of a sporting event. For example, as you watch a game on TV, at Madison Square Garden, the crowd is almost in darkness while the court is obviously brightly lit. This kind of gives an effect of the players being “on stage”.

Where as in other places, like US Airways Center in Phoenix, the stands and crowd are as bright as the court.

It’s much easier to tell the differences while watching the games.

• TBone | March 6, 2014 at 1:01 pm |

I’ve noticed this while watching some college games, especially preseason tourneys in far-off places. I want to say there’s an arena in Vegas and another somewhere in the Caribbean that has almost no lighting in the stands, so players disappear once they get off the court proper. It’s definitely a different look.

• mike 2 | March 6, 2014 at 9:32 pm |

The Lakers and Clippers light the same arena very differently from one another.

• BrianC | March 6, 2014 at 11:22 am |

“Although the Indians appear to be phasing out Wahoo for most applications, he’s still being worn by Slider the mascot, and also by the female hot dog mascot and some other food mascots”

Food mascots? We must be behind the times here, we only have the one mascot. And what’s that red thing on the end supposed to be?

• JTH | March 6, 2014 at 11:54 am |

looks like a key. Is that race sponsored by Key Bank or something? Either way, a race involving 3 hotdogs and a key is beyond stupid.

• Dumb Guy | March 6, 2014 at 1:08 pm |

“…a race involving 3 hotdogs and a key is beyond stupid”

No kidding. There ought to be a fourth hotdog!

• Chance Michaels | March 6, 2014 at 5:17 pm |

Not the stupidest race. Not by a long shot.

‘Course, you might need to be a Badger to even know what those are.

• Mike D. | March 6, 2014 at 11:24 am |

I’ve noticed. I think the Staples Center uses lighting similar to MSG. At least for Laker games.

• Todd | March 6, 2014 at 11:39 am |

I know Reebok is switching to the new emblem, but I didn’t know that meant they were phasing out the matrix. I have a pair of shoes I just bought that has both the new emblem (I forget the name) and the matrix on the sides. I don’t think it is “outdated” as I don’t think it is being retired.

• JTH | March 6, 2014 at 11:51 am |

Yeah, I just got an email yesterday from one of the big online hockey equipment sites advertising a preorder for some fancy-schmancy Reebok skates which feature the “outdated” logo on them.

• JTH | March 6, 2014 at 11:48 am |

DenverGregg, based on what I can see in those photos, one of your dogs looks a great deal like my dog (she’s a shepherd/chow mix — maybe).

So I don’t care what everybody else says about you, you’re OK in my book.

• DenverGregg | March 6, 2014 at 12:52 pm |

Both dogs are rescue mutts that we got in 2010. Your dog is probably bigger as Leon is only 46 lbs. Due to a dog park encounter, we think the main breed in him is Finnish Spitz. His sidekick is Eddie who we believe to be Aussie/Sheltie.

• JTH | March 6, 2014 at 3:26 pm |

At her last vet visit about a month ago, Lucy weighed exactly 46 pounds.

• DenverGregg | March 7, 2014 at 7:26 am |

She’s a good looking pup!

• Eric Romain | March 6, 2014 at 11:51 am |

In a movie set in the past, if I see a logo or technology that’s chronologically out of place, I get extremely peeved.

That awful Mariah Carey movie “Glitter” was supposed to be set in the mid-1980s and they just blatantly slapped modern Pepsi logos all over the place like they weren’t even trying. I was more infuriated with that laziness than I was infuriated from my friends making me ironically watch it.

• terriblehuman | March 6, 2014 at 12:56 pm |

It’s usually subtle stuff – I see a lot of New York movies set in the 80s with 21st Century stuff like subway cars with flag decals (that happened after 9/11) or pedestrian crosswalk signals with modern graphical signs rather than the old WALK/DON’T WALK lights.

• Dumb Guy | March 6, 2014 at 1:04 pm |

Yeah, music/instrument logos really jump out at ME. As well as sports logos (obviously).

• mike 2 | March 6, 2014 at 10:25 pm |

Just so we’re clear – the anachronistic Pepsi logos may have been the best thing about that Mariah Carey movie.

• BurghFan | March 6, 2014 at 11:58 am |

I was at last night’s Hawks at Trail Blazers game. A couple of uni notes:

- The two 0s (Teague and Lillard) were often matched up against each other.

- Both teams wore alts. The Blazers’ Rip City jerseys did nothing for me, since the fronts don’t read well and the backs are so much like the regular ones. About the only intrresting thing about the ATL unis was that the red was brighter on the video board than it was to the naked eye.

• Paul Lukas | March 6, 2014 at 12:04 pm |

Adidas just released all their March Madness unis:

Further info:

• Art_Vandalay | March 6, 2014 at 12:48 pm |

I was about to say not bad, until I saw Baylor’s. It seems someone at Baylor must be on board with Adidas going crazy and over the top on their uniforms. In prior years, all the March Madness unis were a joke. This year, KU, Indiana, Wisconsin, Louisville, etc all look fairly good compared to some of the neon off the wall unis of past years. But Sic’Em Bears? Still in neon glow? Terrible.

• Phil P | March 6, 2014 at 12:51 pm |

I like KU’s design better than the standard design they had this season, but not as much as their alt jayhawk set.

• terriblehuman | March 6, 2014 at 12:52 pm |

Could’ve been worse, I guess.

And like with Nike and the NFL/college football, the “crown jewel” programs are more resistant to “innovation”, while the up-and-comers get the stupid stuff.

• Clarybird | March 6, 2014 at 12:57 pm |

(Merch Madness)

• Dumb Guy | March 6, 2014 at 1:09 pm |

Nice!

• terriblehuman | March 6, 2014 at 1:56 pm |

Snort!

• Aaron | March 6, 2014 at 2:41 pm |

So, what happens with the uniform if a team doesn’t make the tournament? I have a hard time seeing Indiana as a tournament team. Would a team roll out special jerseys for the NIT? It doesn’t really feel like that would move the merch needle, you know?

• terriblehuman | March 6, 2014 at 3:38 pm |

I remember last year’s tournament jerseys debuted during the conference tourneys. That’s a bigger TV audience than the NIT anyway.

• Abe Laxague | March 6, 2014 at 6:25 pm |

Not the worst. They could look waaayyy better though (I’m talking to you UCLA)

• Chris Cruz | March 6, 2014 at 1:11 pm |

Was Martin St. Louis really wearing flip-flops or just sandals?

Under common parlance, flip-flops/zoris/thong sandals have a y-shaped strap separating the big toe and the other toes. The minimal amount of fabric/material causes the sandal to make a flip-flop sound as one walks. This is contrasted with other sandals which do not make such sounds.

Then again, I refer to my flip-flops as “slippers,” which drives my wife up to the wall. I refer to the moccasins I wear around the house as “house shoes” rather than “slippers.”

• Corey | March 6, 2014 at 1:15 pm |

When was the last time Adidas introduced new uniforms that weren’t the same template for every team?

• Mike | March 6, 2014 at 1:24 pm |

Regarding the new March Madness uniforms, is that a new wordmark font for Wisconsin?

• Chance Michaels | March 6, 2014 at 5:00 pm |

I don’t know – they usually wear “WISCONSIN” home and away, so we only have the “S” to go by – but I don’t think so.

• Abe Laxague | March 6, 2014 at 6:25 pm |

Yeah and I think the font looks great

• Neeko | March 6, 2014 at 6:36 pm |

no its not

• Eduardo | March 6, 2014 at 1:50 pm |

I am digging the Christopher Noice Cleveland helmet, especially the far right one done in orange half-tone on orange. Make it a bit smaller and it’s good to go. And how about having the other side of the helmet have an image of Jim Brown, greatest Cleveland player and greatest NFL back? Then you would truly have “the Browns”.

• Clarybird | March 6, 2014 at 4:04 pm |

Genius idea, Eduardo!

• Paul Lukas | March 6, 2014 at 1:51 pm |

My quick response to the new Adidas uniforms:

• JTH | March 6, 2014 at 2:34 pm |

Well, I’ve always said I’d like to see a cream-colored home uni (FYI, it’s Cream and Crimson, not t’other way round).

#CarefulWhatYouWishFor

• Connie DC | March 6, 2014 at 3:26 pm |

Speaking of Crimson, the boys from Cambridge-Alston A&T are near sure-shots for Merch Madness (God, that’s a great coinage). Looking forward to a special day-glo uni with a really “angry” Puritan guy with a blunderbuss re-fitted for semi-automatic firing.

• DK | March 6, 2014 at 3:35 pm |

I think the fact Indiana went cream with the uniform is really cool. I wish they would do this with all their sports.

Other than I like the name of the school as opposed to the nicknames on college uniforms, I think some of these are really nice (Kansas, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana). Sleeved BB uniforms is a trend that can die any day, and the battle cry uniform is horrendous though.

• terriblehuman | March 6, 2014 at 4:38 pm |

Is anyone other than Adidas doing sleeved jersey? I think Adidas is trying way too hard to make “fetch” happen.

• David | March 6, 2014 at 1:54 pm |

Regarding the picture of Joe Rudi and Rollie Fingers – I distinctly remember seeing a newspaper photo of the two of them in Red Sox jerseys, working out on the field. I don’t know if an old wire copy might still exist somewhere, but if I ever find it, I’ll let you know.

• Matthew | March 6, 2014 at 2:20 pm |

I don’t know anything about the Milwaukee Admirals. Is it normal for them to have an old-school Brewers logo on their jerseys like the one Rinne is wearing?

• JTH | March 6, 2014 at 2:40 pm |

• Paul Lukas | March 6, 2014 at 3:04 pm |

More specifically: Minor league hockey teams tend to have advertising patches on their jerseys. In the case of the Admirals, their jersey advertiser for quite a few years now has been the Brewers.

• Chance Michaels | March 6, 2014 at 5:11 pm |

The Brewers have been a major sponsor for the Admirals for a while now (the Brewers’ owner and GM are part of the Admirals’ ownership group).

What’s interesting for is that for the last several years (since 2006?) that sponsorship deal always seems to involve the Brewers’ throwback logo. Not their regular one.

• Mike Engle on iPad | March 6, 2014 at 7:47 pm |

The Admirals hockey team uses black, gray, and powder blue as team colors. Good aesthetic decision to use the ball glove, because I would rather add royal and athletic gold to that palette than navy and metallic gold! The Brewers definitely “get it tm,” as evidenced by a Retro Friday getting superseded by the normal whites on Opening Day, specifically because it was Opening Day.

• JTH | March 6, 2014 at 3:31 pm |
        • Matthew | March 6, 2014 at 7:24 pm |

Thanks.

• JC | March 6, 2014 at 2:26 pm |

In the picture of Rollie and the other pitcher, are they wearing the BoSox panel caps?

• BrianC | March 6, 2014 at 5:02 pm |

No, the red with the blue bill ones. They didn’t wear the contrasting panel cap very long.

• mrmmosh | March 6, 2014 at 3:51 pm |

Not sure if I’ve ever commented on the site, but longtime (possibly) first time.

Regarding specifically the lack of the diacritical accent on the Colombia jersey, it’s something of a belief among many Spanish speakers that ALL CAPS doesn’t require diacritics. I think in the old days typewriters didn’t do diacritics, but that could be apocryphal.

I know my parents have told me that they’re not required (Mom’s from Mexico, Dad’s from El Salvador. I’m from LA). In many cases, it is a stylistic choice as well, as there are publications that simply do not use them on all caps, despite presumably knowing that it’s incorrect.

Just my two cents.

• Mike Engle on iPad | March 6, 2014 at 7:44 pm |

I grew up in a French Immersion elementary school curriculum. I remember learning the same thing: no accents on capital letters. Not only does it make sense, thinking about old typewriter keyboard not having accented letters, but think of the havoc accented capital letters would wreak upon line spacing!
      I had a teacher who, instead of using the special symbols in Microsoft Word to get accented letters, would type one copy of an assiment sheet, test, etc., place the accents on the right letters with a black pen, and then go to the xerox machine to make enough copies for us. He said it was faster and easier for him.

• Abe Laxague | March 6, 2014 at 6:27 pm |

I think that the new VCU logos and wordmarks look FANTASTIC!

• Matt Malinoski | March 6, 2014 at 7:49 pm |

Some photos of Rollie Fingers in a Red Sox uniform:

• mike 2 | March 6, 2014 at 9:46 pm |

Timely photo of Jim Fregosi, who passed away a couple of weeks ago.

• ipad video tutorial | March 7, 2014 at 10:49 am |

We’ve been several volunteers as well as starting up a whole new scheme in our online community. Your website offered us with useful info to operate about. You’ve done a good job along with all of our overall class can be pleased for you.