Crazy Eights

IMG_2775.JPG

IMG_2777.JPG

Click photos to enlarge

Uni Watch mascots Tucker (left) and Caitlin turn eight years old today, which means they’re now about the same age as I am. But as you can see in these photos, which were taken yesterday, they’re still plenty kittenish and playful — a good reminder that I still have lots to learn from them.

I used to cook a special meal for my previous cats on their birthdays (chicken livers, shrimps, that kind of thing). But Tucker and Caitlin are remarkably uninterested in cooked food — they only like cat food. So that’s what they’ll get today, along with some fresh catnip and some new toys. Happy birthday, furballs! I love you both to bits. — Paul

Collector’s Corner

By Brinke Guthrie

Found some rather curious posters on eBay, like the Roger “Skipper” Staubach poster shown above. The same seller also has posters for Jack “The Ripper” Youngblood, Steve Grogan, and Too-Tall Jones, among others. The auction listing text for all of them says, “The front of the poster is a hand-drawn cartoon and the back contains a brief history of his career.”

Here’s the rest of this week’s haul:

• You can light up the night with this 1970s Baltimore Colts nightlight.

• Had these! A set of 1974 Hallmark NFL stickers. Didn’t cost as much when I had ’em, though.

• You too can be an athletic supporteur of the Montreal Expos with this vintage Expos booster patch.

• Got a 1971 Washington Redskins jigaw puzzle here. Looks to be in perfect shape. And while we’re at it, let’s include this Cowboys puzzle too.

• Dave Boss alert! Here’s a framed 1960s Packers oil painting signed by the Master himself.

• Here’s a nice CBS Radio Sports NFL cap.

• Check under that Coca-Cola cap — there might be a Pro Football Star under there, at least according to this poster from the 1960s. Swap ’em for prizes!

• I know they had helmets on the tables at the NFL Draft, but didn’t they used to have built-in phones? [Sure enough, just yesterday reader Chris Flinn sent me this photo from the 1983 draft. Oddly, the striped portion of the Pats helmet phone reminds me more of a Bills helmet. — PL]

Seen something on eBay or Etsy that you think would make good Collector’s Corner fodder? Send your submissions here.

Screen shot 2013-01-24 at 10.31.45 AM.png

T-shirt reminder: In case you missed it a few months back, a bunch of new (but sort of old) Uni Watch T-shirts, including the one shown at right, are now available. For details, look here.

And speaking of T-shirts, if you’re theoretically interested in some hypothetical designs that mark the intersection of meat and baseball, I’m happy to talk about them. You know what to do.

OMFG: My latest One-Man Focus Group column is about the design of the new $100 bill and the new Sam Adams can.

Uni Watch News Ticker: By now you’ve heard that NBA player Jason Collins has come out as being gay. Turns out there’s a uni-related component to his story: “My one small gesture of solidarity [with the gay community] was to wear jersey number 98 with the Celtics and then the Wizards. The number has great significance to the gay community. One of the most notorious antigay hate crimes occurred in 1998. Matthew Shepard, a University of Wyoming student, was kidnapped, tortured and lashed to a prairie fence. He died five days after he was finally found. That same year the Trevor Project was founded. This amazing organization provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention to kids struggling with their sexual identity. Trust me, I know that struggle. I’ve struggled with some insane logic. When I put on my jersey I was making a statement to myself, my family and my friends.” … Here’s the winning (and underwhelming) design for the new College Football Playoff logo. … The start of the NHL playoffs means it’s time for Rob Ullman’s annual cheesecake playoff preview. … Paul Stave’s son’s T-ball team is being sponsored by a local septic tank cleaning company. “I’m not sure if this is funnier than Chico’s Bail Bonds, but it’s darn close,” he says. … My ESPN.com colleague Kristi Dosh has written an excellent piece on why many colleges are leaving Adidas. … Some kid in the UK DIY’d himself an Iron Man costume (from Brady Phelps). … Never seen this before: Muhammad Ali shoe polish. Dig the butterfly/bee insect! (From Roger Faso.) … Went thrifting in Staten Island with the New Girl on Saturday. I got a pair of very nice British regimental-striped prep school scarves, and she got a sensational cheerleader’s top. Photos to follow soon. … New playoff mask for Henrik Lundqvist (from Alan Kreit). … Manchester City’s new away jersey has leaked (from Mark Emge). … “This is the 1975 West Virginia AAA State Championship basketball team from my high school, Barboursville High School,” says Jake Keys. “The uniforms are great! Great hair, also.” … Check out the chain-stitched name are Carlos Beltran’s shirttail (from Jonathan Karberg). … Joshua Kagavi has done some good research on Iowa State’s first black football player in 1923, Jack Trice. “His uniform number was lost to history and I became extremely obsessed with finding it, which took me many months,” says Joshua. “Also, this fall I’m releasing a Jack Trice project/collection and am currently working with the artist Mark Penxa to create content, including a possible documentary. I also designed a custom stadium blanket that the famous Pendleton woolen mill is currently weaving.” That all sounds awesome. Penxa, as longtime readers may recall, is the guy behind the excellent “Stealing Signs” project. … Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: New uni number assignments for the Falcons’ draft picks. … Good story on the evolution of the McLaren F1 logo (from Matthew Walthert). … I’m still calling it Assembly Hall (from Jonathan Mayer). … Interesting piece about how wars have influenced clothing design, including raglan sleeves (from Robin Edgerton). … Coupla uni-notable notes from UCLA’s spring football game: QB Brett Hundley wore a camera on his helmet, and the rear helmet numbers were outlined instead of solid (from Chris Cruz). … Here’s a set of hockey jerseys based on TV shows, comic books, and other pop culture sources (from Adam Jackson). … Michael Kinney notes that umpire Angel Hernandez, who was working first base during last night’s Reds/Cards game, was wearing an adjustable cap.

80 comments to Crazy Eights

• name redacted | April 30, 2013 at 7:46 am |

I was expecting the assembly hall link to be about IU, not U of I. :)

• Phil Hecken | April 30, 2013 at 8:05 am |

Happy B-day to T&C!

• The Jeff | April 30, 2013 at 8:06 am |

As someone with a cat that regularly enjoys pizza toppings (pepperoni, italian sausage, bacon, etc) and other miscellaneous bits of “human food”, I think perhaps you’re just not a very good feline chef. Chicken livers? Ewww.

• Paul Lukas | April 30, 2013 at 8:14 am |

I applaud your taste in pizza toppings (three different pork products!). But trust me — Tucker and Caitlin don’t like human food. Believe me, I’ve tried.

• Elena | April 30, 2013 at 10:13 am |

Happy birthday to the Uniwatch mascots! I’d rather see pictures of them than football uniforms any day.

• Bernard | April 30, 2013 at 10:17 am |

Our two cats are brothers. Simon is an absolute chicken fiend. He will crawl up my back to get close to a chicken wing and any time I’m carving a bird he harasses me for scraps. Sebastian couldn’t be less interested, and HE’s the chunky one. Cats are impossible to figure out, and they like it that way.

Happy Birthday to Tucker and Caitlin.

• Paul Lukas | April 30, 2013 at 10:40 am |

Cats are impossible to figure out, and they like it that way.

And so do I!

• Christopher F. | April 30, 2013 at 3:06 pm |

Yep, we adopted a litter of 4. Three of them go crazy for milk, the other doesn’t care for it. Seriously… milk!

• Skycat | April 30, 2013 at 12:41 pm |

Birthday greetings from me as well. Makes me realize how much I miss my little shelter adoptee who died suddenly last month at the age of four (a day after his birthday). For those who are looking for pets to adopt, check out these events (some of the locations have already had theirs):

• The Jeff | April 30, 2013 at 8:12 am |

That Roger Staubach poster reminds me of a “Darth Raider” Lyle Alzado t-shirt I had as a kid. Sadly, google isn’t very helpful in finding an image of said shirt.

• Dumb Guy | April 30, 2013 at 8:41 am |

It wasn’t this one was it??

Speaking of “monsters”, anyone remembers this abomination?

• The Jeff | April 30, 2013 at 8:53 am |

No, it was a white shirt, with a full body illustration.

…and I may still have a couple of those monsters of the gridiron football cards.

• M.Princip | April 30, 2013 at 9:31 am |

I have the Jim Zorn version of that Staubach poster.

• Anon E. Mus | April 30, 2013 at 8:13 am |

Paul, I read your article on the $100 bill. To your question about whether Benjamin Franklin’s reaction to all the anti-counterfeiting measures? He’d be awestruck – one of the myriad things he invented or helped perfect was a process for preventing counterfeiting of the currency/coin of his time.

• Dumb Guy | April 30, 2013 at 8:27 am |

Oh, I see what you did there on that poster….

Earl CAMPBELL, so he’s a SOUPer back.

So, so adroit. *sigh* *harumph* etc.

• JimWa | April 30, 2013 at 10:05 am |

I have a sister of the same last name. Her kids’ birth announcements all took the form of a soup can label. I think she was just happy to have a “normal” last name.

• Joey Guns | April 30, 2013 at 8:35 am |

Typo on Sam Adams

• Paul Lukas | April 30, 2013 at 8:40 am |

Thanks. Now fixed.

• Coleman | April 30, 2013 at 9:04 am |

Jake Keys, you reading the comments today?

• Connie DC | April 30, 2013 at 9:04 am |

Two fabulous items, and both so Uni Watch.

• Arr Scott | April 30, 2013 at 9:40 am |

That septic cleaning company has a great mascot logo. (Something more businesses should have.) Looks like it belongs on a youth ball jersey! Much better than either Chico’s or the plain text liquor store name that was on my first youth ball jersey.

• Rydell | April 30, 2013 at 9:05 am |

Thanks uni-watch, I just filled out an online form to replace my lost boater’s license from your top banner, awesome!

• mike 2 | April 30, 2013 at 11:13 am |

I’m pretty sure the top banner is populated by an ad server based on your search history.

Either that, or the rest of you are also seeing an ad for a Canadian online contact lens seller.

• Rydell | April 30, 2013 at 9:32 pm |

haha. Nevertheless, filled out and emailed to me and printed out ready for weekend. Thanks again uni-watch :)

• Paul M. | April 30, 2013 at 9:10 am |

The hyper link for the iron man is tied w/the adias story…

• Paul Lukas | April 30, 2013 at 9:17 am |

Thanks. Fixed.

• Big Matt | April 30, 2013 at 9:16 am |

I wish my Hoosiers would dump Adidas, but apparently no such luck

• Randy Rollyson | April 30, 2013 at 9:23 am |

I wore those same uniforms at Barboursville High School from 1977-1979. I always liked them. We had warm ups that were the same as the pinstriped shorts and a jacket that had a Pirate on the left chest. Always loved wearing the red shorts with the white jerseys, although we quit wearing that combo when I was a senior. Not sure why, because the red bottoms and white tops were always popular at BHS in both football and basketball. My cousin wore a really cool uniform at BHS in the late 60′s, early 70′s that was similar to the old Cincinnati Royals uniforms with the name “Pirates” down the side. I always thought they were the coolest.

• ScottyM | April 30, 2013 at 9:36 am |

Congratulations college football playoffs on the preposterously bland logo. Just goes to show, most of the American public has no sense of design.

Not that other choices were stellar, mind you. #1 was clearly the least odorous of the 4 turds.

• Arr Scott | April 30, 2013 at 11:42 am |

If they stick with that logo, I pledge to never type the official name of the championship, but rather to always type (=) instead.

• Bernardo | April 30, 2013 at 9:51 am |

1) I’m super proud of Jason Collins.
    2) The Wizards’ D.C. logo looks like a penis. Explain that, atheists.

• The Jeff | April 30, 2013 at 9:55 am |

2) The Wizards’ D.C. logo looks like a penis. Explain that, atheists.

Lots of things look like penises if your mind is dirty enough. Us atheists don’t need to explain anything.

• Winter | April 30, 2013 at 1:16 pm |

Are you really associating one thing with the other? Sad.

• Mark in Shiga | April 30, 2013 at 9:54 am |

Congratulations to Joshua Kagavi on finally finding Jack Trice’s jersey number — and it’s my own favorite number: 37.

With fewer and fewer people left alive who can remember the earliest days of jersey numbering, now is a fine time to start searching for as much info as we can find so that these kinds of things aren’t forgotten.

• JTH | April 30, 2013 at 9:55 am |

I’m not down with the Star Wars expanded universe stuff, so I’m wondering about the “L. SKYWALKER” NOB. Is there another Skywalker who’s a pilot in the Rogue Squadron?

• ChrisH | April 30, 2013 at 11:10 am |

Rogue Squadron wasn’t even in Star Wars ’77; they first appeared in Empire Strikes Back, released in ’80.
      It was Red Squadron that destroyed the Death Star in that movie, and Luke’s designation (he was the only Skywalker in that battle) was #5.

• Ry Co 40 | April 30, 2013 at 1:24 pm |

well, frankly… this is what happens when you only have enough creativity to steal someone elses ideas, and sell the product to advance your name…

• George N. | April 30, 2013 at 12:16 pm |

“… [U]mpire Angel Hernandez, who was working first base during last night’s Reds/Cards game, was wearing an adjustable cap.”

Considering Angel routinely acts like everyone is there to see him instead of the ballgame, it was necessary to have a cap that adjusts as his head swells up.

• mild bill | April 30, 2013 at 1:07 pm |

How Mr. Hernandez has been able to remain a major league umpire is a true mystery to me.

• scottz | April 30, 2013 at 12:46 pm |

UCLA often uses older jerseys for the spring game (these were in the 2011 style) , so it’s not an early indicator of a change for the regular season.

• Eric | April 30, 2013 at 8:10 pm |

The picture he used is actually from last year’s spring game. Donovan Carter graduated last year, and Brett is in a different helmet this year.

• Rob Ullman | April 30, 2013 at 1:47 pm |

Happy birthday, kids!

• royce | April 30, 2013 at 2:02 pm |

On Staten Island, not ‘in’. You’re always on an island, not in one.

• JTH | April 30, 2013 at 2:34 pm |

Do you say “on Manhattan” as well?

• Ry Co 40 | April 30, 2013 at 3:02 pm |

anybody ever take a vacation “on” the bahamas. LMAO!

• Bernard | April 30, 2013 at 3:28 pm |

I see what royce is saying, it’s just specific to places with Island in the name.

Doug Keklak lives on Hatteras Island.
          Doug Keklak lives in Hawaii.

It is “Here ON Gilligan’s Isle” after all. “Here IN Gilligan’s Isle” sounds ridiculous.

• Paul Lukas | April 30, 2013 at 3:38 pm |

I see what he’s saying, too.

But Staten Island isn’t just an island; it’s also one of the five boroughs of NYC. So being “in Staten Island” is the same as being “in Brooklyn” (or Manhattan, Queens, or the Bronx).

In this case, “in” or “on” are both correct.

• JTH | April 30, 2013 at 10:21 pm |

I still call it Richmond!

• Scott | April 30, 2013 at 2:04 pm |

I can haz UniWatch?

• Mike D. | April 30, 2013 at 2:08 pm |

Regarding the HS basketball photo I think that’s Fletch in the middle of the back row!

• Tony C. | April 30, 2013 at 2:42 pm |

this the jumping the shark moment???

• Paul Lukas | April 30, 2013 at 2:53 pm |

I beg your pardon?

• Christopher F. | April 30, 2013 at 3:08 pm |

Are you referring to the cats being the lead story?

Paul often goes off-book, always has.

• Robert | April 30, 2013 at 3:35 pm |

Hasn’t the phrase, “jumped the shark” jumped the shark?

Love the kitty mascots. My kids Pinky, Spooky, and Donkey appreciate their kind getting proper recognition. Though they do believe using cat nicknames is offensive. They’re especially offended at the Jaguar re-brand.

But then they licked their butts and forgot all about it.

• Matt Steinmetz | April 30, 2013 at 3:15 pm |

I’m a huge fan of how tiny hundleys facemask is.

• Joey | April 30, 2013 at 3:19 pm |

Oh no. By looking at this article: http://news.sportslo...

I have noticed a quirk about the number font… Some corners are rounded (like a dolphin’s fin, I assume), and some corners are block. This will be one of those things that once it’s seen, it can’t be unseen. And it looks kind of dumb.

• KT | April 30, 2013 at 3:30 pm |

I love love love the Captain America hockey jersey and could totally see that actually being worn.

• McClatchy | April 30, 2013 at 3:45 pm |

For what it’s worth, there’s always been a lot of debate over Matthew Sheppard, he was obviously a victim, but how much of that was due to his sexuality is a matter of debate. Even promonent gay leaders aren’t totally sold that his murder was based on his orientation.

• Winter | April 30, 2013 at 4:42 pm |

Seeing that Tebow was offered a contract by the Omaha Beef, my first reaction was “The Omaha what?”

I was unaware this league even existed.

• Kyle Allebach | April 30, 2013 at 6:02 pm |

Sioux City Bandits is a badass name for a team. It rolls off the tongue so nice.

• Johnny O | April 30, 2013 at 4:51 pm |

My cat (Lambeau) just turned 8 this past February. for the first 7 years of his life, he wouldn’t even sniff human food, let alone eat it. And we tried with little pieces of chicken, or fish, but no dice. It was just a year ago, he started obsessing over what my wife and I were eating. He will eat almost anything we put next to him now. He especially loves tuna. Cats are weird, but I wouldn’t trade him for anything.

• Kyle Allebach | April 30, 2013 at 5:57 pm |

Out of all possible names that would fit, a DC Councilman wants the Washington football team to be renamed the Redtails.

I’m still rooting for Washington Warriors.

• Eric | April 30, 2013 at 8:07 pm |

UCLA’s rear helmet numbers are solid on their game helmets, and outlined on their practice helmet. They used their practice helmets for the spring game because their game helmets are in the process of being reconditioned.

• Kris McInnis | April 30, 2013 at 8:17 pm |

The College Footbal Playoff logo looks nearly identical to the International Hotel and Resorts logo.

• Rydell | April 30, 2013 at 9:45 pm |

Glad to see the Blackhawks opening with their red jerseys. The Blues could have a great uniform if only they could add a bit of retro to their current ensemble.

• JTH | April 30, 2013 at 10:23 pm |

Glad to see? What? You were expecting them to bust out an alt for the first time in two years tonight?

• Rydell | April 30, 2013 at 10:26 pm |

Yes, I will repeat I’m glad to see the red jerseys.

• Phil Hecken | April 30, 2013 at 10:54 pm |

The Hawks should have opened in white at home.

As god intended.

• Rydell | April 30, 2013 at 11:01 pm |

Agreed.

• JTH | April 30, 2013 at 11:44 pm |

plus one.

• Mike Engle | May 1, 2013 at 1:10 am |

I will always sign off on white-at-home. Let the center-ice logo tell you who the white team is, and let the other colors tell you who the opponent is. It’s more useful that way!

• DJ | April 30, 2013 at 11:54 pm |

Bullshit.

• Mike Engle | April 30, 2013 at 11:37 pm |

Or, you know, just kill the Bettman stripes.

• JTH | April 30, 2013 at 10:25 pm |

Can’t believe I’m just remembering this now…

Paul, do your cats ever eat celery? My old cat used to go absolutely apeshit for the stuff, particularly the leafy part.

• Paul Lukas | April 30, 2013 at 10:33 pm |

Never tried that. Don’t have any in the house right now to offer them.

I’ll tell you this, though: The New Girl and I had sushi for dinner and brought home a piece of salmon for the cats. I was skeptical (“They only like cat food!”), but the New Girl was insistent (“It’s really good fish, and cats love fish!”).

I cut it up into cat-friendly little pieces and arranged it all nice on a plate for them. They took a few sniffs and walked away. Completely uninterested. If they didn’t like that, I can’t say I’d expect them to like celery.

Footnote: We ate the little pieces ourselves.

• JTH | April 30, 2013 at 10:47 pm |

It was downright bizarre the way she’d attack the stuff. She could smell it as soon as it was brought into the house from the grocery store. We had to put it in the fridge immediately. No way you could leave it unattended on the counter.

And she hated dry cat food. If it didn’t come from a can, she wouldn’t touch it.

• Scott | May 1, 2013 at 11:34 am |

One of my cats loves peas and corn. I will never be able to figure that one out.