UWFFL - Meet Your Flying Fleet & Slaughter

UWFFL Logo
By Phil Hecken, with Rob Holecko

At long last the first sets of entries for the Uni Watch Fantasy Football League are ready for your perusal and voting. We received over 100 separate entries, and we’ll display them for each team and allow you, the readers, to vote on your favorite. Because we received the most entries for the “Atlanta Flying Fleet” and the “St. Louis Slaughter,” we’re going to be showing those and providing voting on these today. We’ll have more over the next several weekends until we’re all done.

I want to thank Rob Holecko for all his work on this, and all the great submitters for taking such an interest in this contest. And now, I will turn this over to Rob, who’ll take you through the first two sets of entries, complete with polls (so be sure to view all of the entries for each team and then be prepared to vote — write down your favorite if you have to, so you can easily vote on it after each of the sections). We’ll do these alphabetically, and some submitters sent in more than one graphic. Click on each graphic to enlarge. I’ll post the full sets (some of which include submitter comments) after the second poll, should you wish to read about their thoughts.

Ready? OK — here’s Rob:

. . .

Those you of who have been following along the last month or so know that we are running a contest for calling for uniform designs of twelve fictional franchises. Today will be the first of several “semifinals” where you will vote on the submissions for the first two of the twelve teams, Atlanta and St. Louis. We received the most entries for these two, and if you would still like to get us any last-minute entries for the remaining ten franchises, we’ll keep accepting entries for those teams for another week or so. You can see more in-depth the other ten teams here on this page, as well as further information about the UWFFL here:

But for now here are the two teams and entries that we will begin voting on today. We will display the submissions and then you’ll see the ballot where you can vote below them.

Thank you again for your interest in this contest and all of the wonderful entries we have received so far.

. . .

Dan Hutcheson

Hutchinson, Dan - Atlanta Flying Fleet

Brady Ivie

Ivie, Brady - FleetHome Ivie, Brady - FleetAway

Ivie, Brady - FleetAlt

Robert Kramer

Kramer, Robert - nike_pro_combat_template_Atlanta Flying Fleet PNG Kramer, Robert - nike_pro_combat_template_Atlanta Flying Fleet- Gold Trim PNG

Kramer, Robert - nike_pro_combat_template_Atlanta Flying Fleet- Alternate Brown PNG

Style Sheet 1Style Sheet 2Style Sheet 3

Coleman Mullins

Mullins, Coleman - Atlanta Flying Fleet_2

Blake Pass

Pass, Blake - Atlanta Flying Fleet

Wes Peters

Peters, Wes - Flying Fleet All

Jeff Provo

Provo, Jeff - AtlantaFlyingFleet

Andrew Seagraves

Seagraves, Andrew - Atlanta Flying Fleet Black Seagraves, Andrew - Atlanta Flying Fleet Brown

Seagraves, Andrew - Atlanta Flying Fleet Gold Seagraves, Andrew - Atlanta Flying Fleet White

Johnny Woods

Woods, Johnny - FLEET

Vote for Atlanta Flying Fleet submissions

pollcode.com free polls

Atlanta Flying Fleet set

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

St. Louis Slaughter

Dan Hutcheson

Hutchinson, Dan - St Louis Slaughter

Brady Ivie

Ivie, Brady - SlaughterHome (2) Ivie, Brady - SlaughterAway (2)

Ivie, Brady - SlaughterAlt

Brendan Jang

Jang, Brendan - ST. Louis Slaughter complete

Yossi Katz

Katz, Yossi - slaughterhome Katz, Yossi - slaughteraway

Katz, Yossi - Slaughter Logo Katz, Yossi - Slaughter Wordmarks

Robert Kramer

Kramer, Robert - nike_pro_combat_template_St Louis Slaughter copy Kramer, Robert - nike_pro_combat_template_St Louis Slaughter Alternate PNG

Style Sheet

Curtis Peddle

Peddle, Curtis - st louis slaughter

Wes Peters

Peters, Wes - St. Louis Slaughter All

Jeff Provo

Provo, Jeff - StLouisSlaughter

Andrew Seagraves

Seagraves, Andrew - St Louis Slaughter Blood Seagraves, Andrew - St Louis Slaughter Cream

Seagraves, Andrew - St Louis Slaughter Pewter Seagraves, Andrew - Cross Cutlass

Johnny Woods

Woods, Johnny - STLOUISUNIFORM

Woods, Johnny - STLOUISHELMETS Woods, Johnny - STLOUISLOGO

Vote for St. Louis Slaughter submissions

pollcode.com free polls

St. Louis Slaughter set

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

We’ll be back next weekend with results of this round of voting as well as some more submissions to vote on.

Line

Stirrup FridayStirrup Fridays…

Because we love the stirrup here at Uni Watch, this section is devoted to those of us who sport the beautiful hose on Fridays — a trend popularized many years ago by Robert P. Marshall, III. For many of us, it’s become a bit of an obsession, but a harmless one — a reflection of our times. Where we once had Friday ties, which has been replaced by Casual Friday — we now have Stirrup Fridays. It’s an endearingly simple concept — no matter where you work (or even if you don’t) — break out a fresh pair of rups to compliment (or clash with) your Friday attire.

And we’re back in business again on the stirrup front. Got a few entries, so let’s get right into it:

. . . . .

Michael Clary:

Phil:

Not sure if the “Spalding Performance Socks” are actually stirrups, but this rebate offer from the mid-eighties is kinda cool.

-Clarybird

. . .

Jim Vilk:

Phil & Comrade Marshall,

So you want to buy some stirrups, but does all this talk of revolution sound a little too subversive for you? Well, here’s your chance to be a true American by joining Generalissimo Madrevilker’s Two-In-One Contra Revolucion!

Our first offering is from the city where our National Anthem was born, the Baltimore Orioles two-in-ones. We assume Eddie Murray approves, but he turned down our request for an interview.

Viva la Contra Revolucion!

Mothervilker

. . .

James Poisso - Gold 3 Stripes

James Poisso:

Phil,

I normally don’t wear the same stirrups again for a few weeks, but today, these are Boston Marathon Memorial stirrups.

James Poisso

. . .

John Kimmerlien - Boston

John K:

Phil,

Red Sox this week.

John K

. . .

Jason Bernard - Mountaineers

Jason Bernard:

Phil & Robert:

Gold and blue for WVU’s spring game and uniform unveiling tomorrow. Let’s Go Mountaineers! Beat the Mountaineers!

Bernard

. . .

Soukie Outhavong - Masters

Soukie Outhavong:

Hey Phil,

Playing the Safari Masters, the first major of the year on the UMGA Tour (United Mini Golf Association). The stirrups helped me to a 3-stroke victory.

Soukie

. . .

Joel Sprick - Cardinals

Joel Sprick:

Comrades,

The wife and I are getting our fill of our Cardinals while they’re out here in Philly. And of course it wouldn’t be a ball game without the stirrups!

Joel Sprick

. . .

Robert Marshall - Johnny Cash

Johnny Cash:

Phil:

Hello, I’m Johnny Cash. I decided to re-write a classic for the no purple prison, a-hem, cough, me me me me meeeee…

Well they’re buildin’ the gallows for the 2 in 1’s.
MoVi’s got 25 minutes to go.
And the whole revolution’s waitin’ just to hear me yell.
Mothervilker has 24 minutes to go…

JC

. . .

And that ends today’s look at Stirrup Friday — all of you who participate, send me your pics and a brief (~50 words) description of their relevance, and I’ll run ’em here on Saturday (and sometimes Sunday too!). Be sure to visit Robert’s House of Hose for news on rups.

And now…here’s …

~~~~~~~~~~

Stirrup HeaderComrade Marshall’s Rupdate:

Comrades and Comradettes!

Let’s begin with this week’s right proper stirrup pixture contest…it’s Soukie, and I will get in touch with Mr. Awesome to let him know how he cashed in on the free pair.

As for new Revolutionary Stirrupboro matters, someone who thinks he can market the revolution wants the Al Smith beer shower Sox. Now I don’t think the revolution is marketable, nor will I pursue it past Uni Watch because I make 5 bucks an hour at best running this pajamist overthrow as is without trying to grow this. Still, I respected the moxie and concern to bring the revolution to the masses. So what the heck, 59 world series beer showers for all at $14 until next weekend. As usual these will take time to manufacture, ship to me, and ship to you, it is why you get the deal, keep that in mind. You can get ahold of me here.

Those of you who have the 59 regular season for the playing of ball, it might be nice to have a playoff version in reserve. And for those of you who might want to wait to see if your team makes the playoffs first, this will be the last 12 of these ever ordered because in general not even revolutionaries other then myself like white stirrups.

from each according their stirrvp, to each according his strype

Line

That’s going to have to do it for today, folks — had major computer problems and was generally a very busy boy yesterday. Tomorrow will be fuller, I promise. Everyone enjoy your Saturday, and don’t forget to VOTE for your favorite concepts in the UWFFL contest!

Peace.

Line

boston-strong-teams-624x351
One For The Road

.. … ..

“I sort of put describing a woman being forced to perform oral sex up there with, oh, naming a sports club after Native Americans. It’s creepy. And offensive.”
–Cort McMurray

49 comments to UWFFL – Meet Your Flying Fleet & Slaughter

• The Jeff | April 20, 2013 at 7:38 am |

There’s some really good concepts today… but I still have to vote for myself. ;)

• DJ | April 20, 2013 at 8:31 am |

Yours are derivative. The one is a riff on the Iowa Batnstormers, the other — with its reddish jersey, pewter-ish pants, and skull-and-cutlasses logo — reminds me of the Tamoa Bay Buccaneers.

Unless that was the intent, in which case, carry on.

• The Jeff | April 20, 2013 at 8:43 am |

Yeah… they are, and it was. In the Slaughter’s case, the description for the team all-but-says that they were Bucs ripoffs – and that logo is the one on Rob’s original helmet as well. As for the Fleet, I don’t even like the name, but borrowing from the Barnstormers seemed like a good idea for what they are.

• JamesP. | April 20, 2013 at 8:36 am |

Bah! Two-in-One “stirrups” are just socks with stripes. Wearing them is like
    Revolution Odules; Almost the same taste, just without the stirrup-goodness.

:-P

• Vin Eethy | April 20, 2013 at 8:46 am |

Johnny Woods got my vote for the flying douche bottle.

• Johnny | April 20, 2013 at 9:38 am |

“Fleet” is a brand of disposable enemas. So, when you’re done with it, you throw it away and it flies.

Flying Fleet. Made sense to me…

• Manuel | April 20, 2013 at 8:50 am |

Stirrup Friday is cringe inducing. Who wants to looks at people’s socks. Self absorbed narcissists.

• The Jeff | April 20, 2013 at 8:53 am |

I don’t know if I’d go as far as to call it cringe inducing… but I don’t get it either. I mean, I totally understand and agree with wanting visible stirrups for baseball uniforms, but they just look freakin silly anywhere else.

• Bernard | April 20, 2013 at 9:36 am |

Yes, wearing stirrups under your pants is freaking silly, but an adult male saying “Facehoof!” is cool as shit.

Carry on, Jeff.

• Tank | April 20, 2013 at 9:07 am |

I went Ciervo and Seagraves. I can’t believe how well some of these turned out, seeing how little they were given to work with, and seeing what little they were given was so terrible.

Can’t wait to see some of the SF Reign Fire concepts. Those should be wild.

• Phillipwilson | April 20, 2013 at 9:26 am |

I really like George’s logo.

• Vin Eethy | April 20, 2013 at 9:40 am |

Pure genius.

• rick | April 20, 2013 at 9:50 am |

Great concepts by all. As for calling some of them copies of existing unis…..what can be called new?

• Ryan B | April 20, 2013 at 10:05 am |

Special Red Sox jerseys for today:

• Shane | April 20, 2013 at 10:27 am |

Weird. I saw a few tweets about it and figured they were just going to wear the normal road greys.

• James Craven | April 20, 2013 at 1:33 pm |

First time since 1911 the Sawx will wear the city name on the front of the uniform. Thank you, Dressed To The Nines.

• Graham Jaunts | April 20, 2013 at 1:42 pm |

They wore throwbacks with “Boston” in a red sock a few years back, if that counts.

• Phil Hecken | April 20, 2013 at 1:50 pm |

And they also wear “Boston” on their roadies every away game, but I’m assuming he means for home games…

• Ryan B | April 20, 2013 at 4:35 pm |

Yeah, he means “in a home game”.

• James Craven | April 20, 2013 at 11:15 pm |

Yeah, home game.

• AnthonyTX | April 20, 2013 at 10:49 am |

Why are most of the Slaughter concepts about pirates? Not a lot of Sea pirates in Missouri.

Of course, not a lot of Jazz in Utah or Lakes in LA, but still…

• The Jeff | April 20, 2013 at 10:57 am |

Because, this: http://www.uwfantasy...

Just scroll down and look at the original helmet & description for the Slaughter. We were sorta forced into either doing a pirate theme, or going with something completely original, which was discouraged a bit in the 2nd post about the contest.

• ChrisH | April 20, 2013 at 11:11 am |

I wonder if the uniforms worn by Jim Kelly were a major influence in Curtis Peddle’s treatment of the Slaughter.
    Except for the ‘special’, that set has a Gamblers-meets-Bills vibe to it.
    Well done everyone!

• Wheels | April 20, 2013 at 1:54 pm |

That one is my favorite. Gotta love those sleeve stripes.

• quiet seattle | April 20, 2013 at 11:33 am |

Brendan Jang for the win.

• James A | April 20, 2013 at 12:42 pm |

The throwback logo and wordmark for St. Louis are just awesome.

• DenverGregg | April 20, 2013 at 12:21 pm |

Really like Dan Hutchinson’s ATL concept, but it would be better yet if the “A” weren’t so very similar to University of Arizona. The single stripe down the front of the jersey is a startling good look for that color scheme.

• Andrew Seagraves | April 20, 2013 at 2:58 pm |

I personally love his St.L wordmark on the Skull-and-Crossbones! Some Edward Teach/Stede Bonnet action going on there!

• Phil Hecken | April 20, 2013 at 12:31 pm |

Another look at what the Bo Sox will wear today.

• Minor League Guy | April 20, 2013 at 1:04 pm |

i turned on MLB.tv to watch the Boston game a few minutes ago, and immediately noticed the Red Sox type across the chest of their jerseys are lacking the navy blue outline, they’re wearing just red text on the chest with no outline…anyone else spot this???

• Neal | April 20, 2013 at 1:31 pm |

I thought they looked different, but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

• Minor League Guy | April 20, 2013 at 1:45 pm |

ooops, apparently i just don’t remember how to read…..

• Brad northstar | April 20, 2013 at 2:13 pm |

Really strange to see the Royals wearing the Boston ‘B’ on their jerseys inside the Boston Strong patch. Has a team ever worn the opposing teams logo like that before?

• Joe S | April 20, 2013 at 2:13 pm |

New football uniforms from West Virginia. Two word summary: hideous garbage. http://www.wvusports...

• denvergregg | April 20, 2013 at 2:32 pm |

Ick. Probably the yellow/yellow/white or yellow/white/yellow would be least bad options.

• denvergregg | April 20, 2013 at 2:37 pm |

The canary is especially stupid

• Andrew Seagraves | April 20, 2013 at 2:46 pm |

I don’t mind them that much. Instead of the TV patch on the sleeve they should have stuck with the two stripes or done something like Coleman’s flying WV stripes. Numbers would look even better on a football kit.

• Andrew Seagraves | April 20, 2013 at 2:51 pm |

I know the numbers are supposed to be pickaxe inspired, but they remind me of the numbers Navy used on their jerseys last year against Army.

• ThePonchat | April 20, 2013 at 3:09 pm |

I like how schools tout “X amount of variations/combinations.”

Seriously, that is extremely important to have 27 combinations when you play 13 or so games. Good thing you have over twice as many combos as games…you need it.

• Joe S | April 20, 2013 at 6:51 pm |

The sad part is someone chose this sorry-assed effort as the “best” option. Makes you wonder what everything else they had to choose from.

• Flip | April 21, 2013 at 1:32 am |

It’s not good when “it could have been worse” is the first thing that comes to mind.

• Josh Wren | April 20, 2013 at 3:02 pm |

I wished more had employed the Iowa Barnstormerish helmet like Jeff Provo did with the Atlanta Fleet. Granted I’m a fan of those helmets when it can be applied appropriately and does not necessarily have to be logo on each side. This like the Philly Eagles, Minnesota Vikings (though not historically accurate), and I even liked Kent State’s application of this concept with the eyes and the “K” on the back. So be it if you hate it, I think it worked for them. Though with all that said, I do not like UConn new treatment for it. I think it is an interesting idead and may look great on the computer in illustrator/photoshop but I just do not seeing it faring well in real life.

• Andrew Seagraves | April 20, 2013 at 3:17 pm |

also, check out Darmouth’s D on the front helmet! Love that unique design!

• Trevor | April 20, 2013 at 3:33 pm |

No, no, no. You can’t take our Barnstormers’ goggles design. You just can’t.

• Mitts | April 20, 2013 at 5:04 pm |

Lots of very poor submissions on the football league jerseys today on UniWatch. So many poor color combinations and bad logo designs.

• Coleman | April 20, 2013 at 5:27 pm |

You should check out the rules for the contest . The helmet (logo) designs were already provided and asked to be adhered to, most didnt even do that. Had they all done so you would only see 2 logos, total.

• Al | April 20, 2013 at 8:37 pm |

Seeing the Red Sox uniform on sat. with Boston on it made me wish the mets would change there Snow White to say New York on it

• Johnny O | April 20, 2013 at 9:44 pm |

TATC spotted at the Brewers game tonight:

• Yossi Katz | April 20, 2013 at 10:35 pm |

A little disappointed that it looks like I’m not going to win, but there were some really great other entries.