There's No Service Like Wire Service, Vol. 40

Screen shot 2009-12-29 at 10.06.03 AM.png

It’s been a long time — over five months! — since our last roundup of wire photos. These are all baseball-related and all but one are from Bruce Menard, who’s one of our most astute photo archivists. Let’s take a look:

• When a new baseball manager is introduced at a press conference, it’s common for him to put his jersey on over his suit. But I didn’t know that was happening way back in 1943.

• Speaking of managers mixing a jersey with civvies, who’s this? None other than Walter Johnson, during his stint skippering the Newark Bears. Love the textured look of his undersleeves, and his suit pants look nice to boot!

• Awesome find here: In 1967, the umps were given new lightweight shirts for hot weather.

• I absolutely love this shot of uniforms being issued to kids in Chicago.

• I wish teams would do Kids Day again. Kinda bogus that the Reds called it “Father-Son Day,” given that two of the kids in the photo are girls! And why no uni for Barby Ruiz?

• For a second I thought this was the Babe. But the gent in the uniform is actually comedian Jonathan Winters, and the one in the suit is Leo the Lip.

• At first glance, there’s nothing uni-relevant about this 1954 shot of Tigers infielder Fred Hatfield. “What caught my eye was the bobblehead behind him,” says Bruce. “This would be a very early bobblehead sighting.”

• Here’s St. Louis Browns manager Dan Howley in 1927. “What’s up with the different ‘StL’ logo on his jacket?” asks Bruce. “Almost looks backwards (but it’s not).”

• In 1959, the Denver Bears wore centennial throwbacks.

• You think Pete Rose put down a bet on this game? (Here’s the full episode that shot is taken from.)

• Everyone looked good in an Astros shooting star uni, even comedian Jerry Lewis.

• Chew Red Man, get a free baseball cap. (Okay, so that isn’t a wire photo, but it’s still interesting.)

• And here’s the one shot that isn’t from Bruce: Ron Santo’s fan club sure had some my-t-fine jackets! Big thanks to Scott Sidor for sending that one in.

Screen shot 2009-10-04 at 10.07.15 PM.png

Culinary Corner: Remember my recent fascination with blow-torching a steak? As you may recall, it involves freezing the steak, torching the exterior to achieve a nicely charred crust, and then putting the steak in a very low/slow oven.

Recently something occurred to me that I should have thought of sooner: If the frozen/torched steak can be finished in a slow oven, why not finish it in the smoker? After all, I usually keep the temperature in the smoker down around 200º, which is about how low my oven goes. And the smoker has the added benefit of smokiness (duh), so I figured it’d be a win-win.

I tried this on Saturday, and it was a big success. The steak came out uniformly red throughout, with no interior color gradations, just like when I use the torch method indoors. But it had a distinctly smoky aroma, which is something I’m always a sucker for. I’ll definitely be doing this again soon.

Screen shot 2012-08-26 at 11.33.00 AM.png

U.S. Open Uni Preview

By Brinke Guthrie

The U.S. Open gets underway today in New York. It’s the last chance for the apparel and gear manufacturers to show off their stuff until next spring. (Yes, the Aussie Open is in January, but who can ever watch it given the time difference?) Here’s some of what you can expect to see.

Nike’s big guns are always well turned out. Check out Sharapova, Serena, and Fed. Speaking of whom, this tennis fan thread seems to think that Fed’s classy “RF” Nike line will morph into its own stand-alone brand like Jordan’s, once he retires. You’ll also want to see this series of Head racket spots with Sharapova.

Kim Clijsters is hanging it up at years end (again,) and she’ll say so long in this Fila look. Djokovic’s “replica” line from Japanese maker Uniqlo is here, and here.

Wozzy’s Stella McCartney/Adidas line is usually made up of bright colors owing to her “Sunshine” nickname, but this year, it’s — wait for it — black. More Adidas looks for Ivanovic, Murray, Kirilenko, and Verdasco here.

Did You Know Dept.: There are official ball boy shoes. Curiously, they’re made by New Balance, but with the Polo logo on the sides.

Finally, you might not know the name Camilla Giorgi. She wears Adidas shoes and uses a Babolat frame. Both of those companies have clothing lines, but she prefers to have her mom make her tennis attire for her. [That’s awesome! I’ll root for her on that basis alone. — PL]

———

Paul here (thanks for that piece, Brinke!). You know, I’ve lived in New York for 25 years but have never attended the Open. Part of it is that it can be really expensive, part of it is that the Skippy and Muffy factor gets to be a bit much, and part of it is that I just don’t follow tennis as closely as I once did. But this Thursday I’ll be joining one of my ESPN editors for part of the daytime session, and I’m really looking forward to it. Full report to follow (well, if I spot anything uni-notable, that is).

Uni Watch News Ticker: Stanford’s volleyball team will wear a memorial on their shorts for a teammate who died back in March (from Jeremy Brahm). … Here’s a page covering Marshall football uniform history (from Jake Keys). … Douchebags of the Month award goes to the clowns at the Collegiate Licensing Company, who have bullied an Alabama bakery that was putting a script “A” on some cookies (from Andrew Hoenig). … Good article on what the Notre Dame equipment staff is doing for that one game in Ireland (from Joseph Lombardo). … “Morris Brown College, a historically black college in Atlanta, is experiencing extreme financial difficulties and may have to close,” says Austin Gillis. “I wanted to find out a little more about the history of the school, so I went to Wikipedia and found this pretty amazing photo of the 1900 Morris Brown baseball team.” … Everyone likes stories about weird college mascots, right? (From Kurt Esposito.) … Some high school in St. Louis is now in the running for the world’s silliest-looking football helmet (from Ronnie Poore and Andrew Edwards). … New third kit for Chelsea (from Leo Thornton). … The single-A Lowell Spinners put their logo on a Bruins-style pullover as a fan giveaway (from Dan Cichalski). … The Mets wore blue “Los Mets” jerseys on Friday. … Interesting piece on the retailing of college football jerseys. … Here’s Oregon’s “You should wear this color” schedule, which usually matches up with what the Ducks are wearing, for the upcoming season. … Pflugerville High in Texas uses some very interesting protective headgear during football practice. “Not all of the kids wear it, so it must be optional, but it’s good to see people taking concussions seriously,” says Jaime Galindo. … Someone on eBay is selling a bunch of Fleer MLB jersey stickers. … Hosier hijinks at Booker High in Florida, where a football player was wearing Stewie Griffin socks the other day (from Nick Hanson). … You already know that Penn State will wear a blue ribbon patch this season, in support of child abuse victims. Now their opponent for the season opener, Ohio, has announced plans to wear a blue ribbon helmet decal for that game. It’ll be interesting to see if Penn State’s subsequent opponents end up doing this for the rest of the season (from Johnny Bruno). … Good article on Oklahoma State’s equipment staff (from Darrell Hatfield). … “It’s breast cancer awareness time for the WNBA again,” writes Kevin Brown. “The Atlanta Dream used unis with pink numbers, but the uniform for No. 22 Armintie Price was mistakenly printed as No. 20. Since Atlanta already has a 20 (Sancho Lyttle), Price’s 0 was peeled off and she played as No. 2 with a very off-center number.” … Longtime lacrosse, hockey, and soccer outfitter Warrior is now getting into football (from Christopher Drouin). … The St. Kilda Saints — that’s Aussie football — recently wore a special kit in which the black and red panels of the home jumper were made up of names of their longest-serving members (from Leo Strawn). … Whoa, look at the hairdos on the 1964 Texas women’s track team. Full story here (from James McClure). … Good question from William Barker, who writes: “While I was watching the Redskins/Colts game in Washington, the Colts challenged a call and, as always, the television coverage followed the ref to the replay hood. The security guys helped lift the cover and stood guard. These security guys were wearing the same shade of burgundy as the Redskins and had matching hats with NFL shields. Are they supplied by the home team and therefore attired to match the team, or does the NFL supply and attire these guys? Does this protocol apply to all of these individuals that work the games?” Anyone know more about this? … New beach-themed basketball court design for Long Beach State (from Bill Radocy). … Pretty funny piece about Liverpool fans who run around town wearing the team’s full kit (from George Chilvers). … Soccer mystery from Gregory Koch, who writes: “When I got to the stadium for Saturday’s UConn/St. Francis men’s soccer game, I noticed the Terriers warming up in red, with numbers on the front but not the back. This struck me as strange, because I distinctly remembered them wearing blue when we played them the last two years. However, a few minutes before the game, St. Francis went into the dressing room and reemerged wearing blue uniforms, with numbers on the back but not the front. Both those and the warm-ups appeared to be legitimate uniforms for game use. My theory is that the red uniforms are alternates, and they wear them as warm-ups when not wearing them for the game. Can any St. Francis fans shed light on this?” … I’ve seen photos of Frank Sinkwich’s unusual faceguard rig before, not this photo (nice find by Greg Trandel). … Phil has spotted something disturbing: The Saints’ maker’s marks are positioned unusually high, so they crowd the TV numbers. In some cases they’re actually positioned north of the sleeve/shoulder seam, which is seriously bad news. … Chet Miller was helping his parents clean out their basement and came across a bunch of sports-related stuff, including a Jr. Charlotte Hornets membership card, a Bengals ice cream tub, a 1988 MLB All-Star Game pillow, and two jigsaw puzzles. You can see it all here. … Great article about some folks in Detroit who break into Tiger Stadium to care for it (big thanks to my buddy Jon Hammer). … New logo package for the U. of San Francisco (from Ed Wright). … We all know the Raiders wore striped socks in their early days. But look closely at this photo from 1960 — looks like the white crew sock has an “R” on it! “I thought it was stickum at first,” says Willie Gabel. … I think I linked to this last month, but just in case: Here’s a good infographic on MLB team colors (from Kurt Esposito). … Speaking of infographics, move your cursor along this Champions League timeline (nice find by Jay Gallagher). … Here’s something you don’t often see: Kobe Bryant in a Bulls jersey (from Will McGillis). … Many of the Cardinals have been going high-cuffed on Sundays, so outfielder Jon Jay had these T-shirts made (should say “high-cuffed,” not “high sock,” grrrr). That inspired reader Thomas Qualls to create this Twitter account. “The plan is to send out a pic of myself every Sunday doing ordinary tasks — in stirrups,” he says. Everyone should sign up to follow that, yes?

156 comments to There’s No Service Like Wire Service, Vol. 40

• Tony Lombardo | August 27, 2012 at 7:31 am |

About the security guys, they wear burgundy everywhere. I’m a Jets season ticket holder, and I’ve seen those guys in burgundy caps and shirts.

• Tony C. | August 27, 2012 at 7:42 am |

Re: Saints maker’s mark

i think it have to be high due to the fleur de lis that’s on the sleeve. look how high up on the sleeve the top tip of the fleur de lis is. i would venture to bet it make it hard to sew the nike swoosh on there any closer than it already is

• NickV | August 27, 2012 at 8:43 am |

The Saints new Nike unis are part improvement, part disaster.

I attended Saturday’s home game, and it was the first time the Saints wore Black jerseys/Gold pants this preseason, since Nike came in.

THE GOOD:

The Shade of Gold on the helmet, pants and numerals match more closely than at any time since the Gold jersey numerals were brought back in 1995. The White trim on the numerals widens the numerals in contrat to the Black jersey, creating a good look, better than the Gold trim on the Black numerals/rWhite jerseys as the pale shade of gold blends too closely with the White jersey, creating a too-thin numeral on the White jersey. Also, the entire team wore White socks with Black sanitary stockings, eliminating the total monochrome/leotard look.

THE BAD:

The Gold is too light colored, too pale, and does not contrast well with White. This is a much bigger problem when the White jerseys are worn. The front jersey numerals are too low on the stomach, unnecessarily so given the Saints do not have the assinine wordmark between the NFL shield and the numerals as too many teams do. Shoulder numerals ridiculously placed due to Nike Swoosh – problenm is best solved by placing Nike Swoosh on Right or Left chest, or putting it on nds of undershirts. Get it off of the Shoulder numerals.

THE COLLAR:

Rates it’s own column for criticism. Truly assinine and unneccesary. Ruins the lines of the jersey, horrible! Thank Heavens the Packers, Cowboys and others were able to avoid this abomination. I still profess that the points of the Dracula Collars are there to mimic the pointed ends of the Nike Swoosh. Here’s to hoping we can ALL eliminate this next year.

• DenverGregg | August 27, 2012 at 7:42 am |

In 2d graf of the US Open section the “Sharapova” link is wonky. Thx

Would love to find one of those Denver centennial Bears hats!

• Paul Lukas | August 27, 2012 at 7:46 am |

Sharapova link now fixed. Thanks.

• Tim E. O'B | August 27, 2012 at 8:20 am |

Gradients are making a comeback and we’re all worse off because of it.

• Tim E. O'B | August 27, 2012 at 8:21 am |

Dammit. Not supposed to go here.

• Chris | August 27, 2012 at 8:03 am |

George Washington University has a new visual identity as of yesterday. My daughter, who attends there, is unimpressed. http://gwtoday.gwu.e...

• Winter | August 27, 2012 at 8:05 am |

George looks like he could’ve walked out of an episode of Family Guy.

• Tim E. O'B | August 27, 2012 at 8:22 am |

Gradients are making a comeback and we’re all worse off because of that.

• Arr Scott | August 27, 2012 at 8:49 am |

The portrait is a failure – aside from the gradients, it’s a terrible likeness of the man. The typography is OK, but I’d prefer some serif action, even if just on the initial caps with the rest of the letters sans-serif. On the plus side, somewhat of an improvement with regard to representing the colors. (“Hail to the buff, hail to the blue, hail to the buff and blue / All our lives we’ll be proud to say we hail from G W!”)

• Tim E. O'B | August 27, 2012 at 9:02 am |

“All in all a downgrade, but totally in keeping with this alum’s expectations of the Knapp presidency.”

Awwwww sKnapp!

• teenchy | August 27, 2012 at 9:13 am |

Another alum in agreement. The new portrait makes Washington look much haughtier than what we’ve come to expect from contemporary descriptions.

• Ben Fortney | August 27, 2012 at 11:52 am |

Noticed the wordmark and typography plastered all over the Foggy Bottom Metro station last week. I guess it’s more “unique” than the standard font they had before. I guess.

• Arr Scott | August 27, 2012 at 12:11 pm |

I can understand how not everyone would love the typography of the GWU logo from when I was a student:

But the more recent version just holds together so much better, and looks both more serious and more academic, than the new logo:

(That second with the woodcut style was the version used for small-scale and limited-color reproduction.)

Still, if you have this logo, the correct branding decision is Never Change:

• Winter | August 27, 2012 at 8:04 am |

Those Liverpool full kit guys definitely make me think that I have a line for stuff like this, and they’re over it. You see guys all the time wearing the jerseys (which I can’t bring myself to do), but the shin guards? The shoes?

Makes me wonder how many pics exist of people watching college or NFL games in full helmets and shoulder pads.

• Ed | August 27, 2012 at 8:09 am |

Hmmm…that steak method sounds familiar. ;-)

ed

• teenchy | August 27, 2012 at 8:14 am |

Georgia’s Heisman winner with the unusual face guard is Frank Sinkwich.

• Paul Lukas | August 27, 2012 at 8:17 am |

Thanks. Now fixed.

• Tim E. O'B | August 27, 2012 at 8:15 am |

It should be noted that in the ticker link Warrior is outfitting the Brother Rice Warriors.

• walter | August 27, 2012 at 9:06 am |

I’ll admit to liking that stroboscopic tint treatment on the shoulders. It reminds me of a Mercury Sable’s taillights… and that’s a good thing, by the way.

• DJ | August 27, 2012 at 10:46 am |

IIRC, the founder of Warrior is a Brother Rice grad, and named the company accordingly.

• Chris Drouin | August 27, 2012 at 11:48 pm |

Correct. Br Rice are the Warriors and the company Warrior Sports was founded by Dave Morrow from the class of 89.

Warrior has not officially announced a move into football, this is (so far) just a one time thing for Br Rice and Detroit Cass Tech to receive a 3rd uniform for the recently played Prep Kickoff Classic in Detroit.

While some football players do wear lacrosse shoes, most notably Heisman winner and Saint Mark Ingram Jr, they don’t as of yet have any football products available to the public.

• Dumb Guy | August 27, 2012 at 8:22 am |

I didn’t know Amy Winehouse ran track in a by-gone era.

PS: Gee I wonder why the blonde made the forground.

• Chris | August 27, 2012 at 8:55 am |

If the Amy Winehouse look-alike leans forward, her hair will finish three seconds before the rest of her.

• Dumb Guy | August 27, 2012 at 8:23 am |

That St Louis HS helmet looks more like a swimsuit design than a football helmet.

• walter | August 27, 2012 at 9:04 am |

Looks like a custom bowling ball, to me.

• Steve-O V | August 27, 2012 at 11:17 am |

The logo on that helmet, Is that the Arizona State pitch fork?

• Ben Fortney | August 27, 2012 at 11:53 am |

Sure looks like it.

• ChrisH | August 27, 2012 at 11:44 am |

That helmet reminds me…I have to replace my pool liner next spring. I wonder if that design is available without the trident.

• Gordon | August 27, 2012 at 8:25 am |

After reading the article about Tigers Stadium, I was curious about what the site looked like now so I looked it up on Google Maps: http://goo.gl/maps/P...

Two thoughts came to mind:
    1. They’re doing a really good job of maintaining the field.
    2.Tigers Stadium occupied a remarkably small plot of land.

• Tony C. | August 27, 2012 at 8:48 am |

i am just surprised the field is still there and hasn’t been paved over for a parking lot

• Rob S | August 27, 2012 at 9:43 am |

It’s Detroit. There seems to be little, if any, cooperation between the City Council, the Regional Chamber, and any other applicable departments. It’s a wonder anything ever gets done in the city.

• ChrisH | August 27, 2012 at 10:43 am |

Parking lot? Why not a golf course?

• Chance Michaels | August 27, 2012 at 10:09 am |

I don’t know about their Detroit pictures, but Google Maps’ survery of my area of Brooklyn is at least two years old. I wouldn’t rely on them for any indication of what the site looks like today.

• Tom V. | August 27, 2012 at 10:21 am |

Google Earth pics are from May/2010.

And didn’t this story (or one very similar to it) run on this site quite some time ago? I found a similar story on the internet from April of this year.

• Ben Fortney | August 27, 2012 at 11:55 am |

You beat me to it Gordon. Take a look at the Streetview version, photos were taken during the demolition. Some of the superstructure is still standing.

• quiet seattle | August 27, 2012 at 1:07 pm |

There’s a facebook page for Navin Field Grounds Crew with photos.

• PK | August 27, 2012 at 8:35 am |

Apparently Uni-Watch is not alone in its views w/Nike…

• ThePonchat | August 27, 2012 at 8:49 am |

Re: UConn/St. Francis soccer

I imagine the red is actually a warm-up or training shirt. If St. Francis played in the blue top, it is actually against NCAA rules and regs.

The NCAA requires teams to have a number on the front AND back — and they have to be certain heights as well. Some teams do get away with not wearing a number on the front…I guess the referee can make a fit about it if he/she decides to. The opposing team can as well.

• Arr Scott | August 27, 2012 at 8:51 am |

So are the 1959 Denver Bears now the oldest documented instance of a baseball throwback uniform?

• Jet | August 27, 2012 at 10:39 am |

Good question!

-Jet

• DenverGregg | August 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm |

It would be more of a fauxback and on that account almost certainly the first. The city of Denver was founded in 1859, but there likely wouldn’t have been any baseball until at least 1865. I’ve got a fun book about the Denver centennial, but it didn’t have this little detail.

• Arr Scott | August 27, 2012 at 12:37 pm |

Great point – thanks! Though personally, I regard fauxback as a subclass of throwback.

• Ben Fortney | August 27, 2012 at 4:20 pm |

I suppose it all depends on your definition of “throwback.”

From Dressed to the Nines:
      The Dodgers wore a checked road uniform during the 1928 season. This was the club’s second experiment with such a style, as they had also worn such uniforms during the 1916 and 1917 seasons.

• Arr Scott | August 27, 2012 at 5:19 pm |

Perhaps it would be useful to think about a definition. In the UW Glossary, Paul offers

Throwback: A uniform patterned on a vintage design. See also TBTC, Fauxback.

I would amend that slightly to read

A special event or alternate uniform patterned on a vintage design or style.

So a team just adopting uniforms similar to past uniforms, not a throwback. So the Giants roads of 1928 aren’t throwbacks, they’re just uniforms. Whereas if the 1929 Giants had worn 1917-style tattersall unis on Sundays, or just once in June, then that would be a throwback.

• Based Anon | August 27, 2012 at 8:53 am |

Unless you are getting cheap cuts of meat, why are you killing the meat’s flavor by smoking it?

Smoking is for the tough stuff, briskets, etc. A good steak needs no extra flavoring!

• Paul Lukas | August 27, 2012 at 8:58 am |

Disagree. I wouldn’t want to smoke every steak, but I think there’s room for top-quality beef and smoking to co-exist.

• Tom Nawrocki | August 27, 2012 at 9:20 am |

I went to an early-day round of the US Open several years ago and had a lot of fun. You basically just walk around a bunch of open courts where people are playing tennis in front of a handful of people, or you can go see a big name playing in the stadium. The best part was that we saw Wilt Chamberlain there, just walking around by himself.

• Jonee | August 27, 2012 at 10:09 pm |

I once saw Wilt at the U.S. Open, too when my parents took me as a kid. It was great fun, but that was back in the 80’s.

• tom | August 27, 2012 at 9:36 am |

you are telling me that Oregon’s mascot is named DONALD? Donald Duck? How original.

• tom | August 27, 2012 at 9:37 am |

USC should rename the mascot after their coach, piglet.

• Dumb Guy | August 27, 2012 at 10:04 am |

The Oregon mascot is named Donald because they are using the actual character Donald Duck. Not a duck that looks like Donald Duck, but the REAL Donald Duck.

Here’s the Walt phot btw….

• JamesP. | August 27, 2012 at 10:13 am |
      • tom | August 27, 2012 at 10:30 am |

Wow.

Oregon is has contracts with Walt Disney and Nike. Is this even a university?

• Coach King | August 27, 2012 at 12:56 pm |

Actually, I believe as of a couple of years ago, the mascot (the actual costume) no longer has any legal/trademark ties to Disney. UofO still has to pay licensing and royalty fees for anything that has the printed logo featuring the Donald character, but the mascot itself is now fully owned by the university. I believe Disney gets half of the university’s share of sales related to the Donald printed merchandise, which is why the much of the merchandise the last decade is centered around the “O” campaign.

I seem to remember the original “Benny” beaver for Oregon State was also a Disney trademark.

• Ricko | August 27, 2012 at 10:32 am |

Seriously, we didn’t know about this?…

• tom | August 27, 2012 at 10:36 am |

never really thought much about it

• JamesP. | August 27, 2012 at 10:41 am |

I think it is funny knowing that people didn’t know about Donald being the Oragon mascot…

Hell, I knew about it when I was a kid growing up in Louisiana thanks to watching bowl games. :)

• Eric | August 27, 2012 at 12:48 pm |

The older version of Donald with him in Oregon colors is still covered but the relaxation of all uses of the Duck has made the university use him more in promotional stuff and now merchandise. This relaxation also is what allowed Nike to use the Duck on the “Fighting Ducks” jersey and t-shirts since it was determined by Disney that the fuller, rounder headed version used was different enough from Donald Duck to not be confused.

• Turtle12 | August 27, 2012 at 2:30 pm |

Is that cap/hat called a beanie, or does it have another name?

• walter | August 27, 2012 at 11:01 am |

Every time they run a “funny nickname” story, I keep an eye out for The Gentlemen of Centenary College.

• Arr Scott | August 27, 2012 at 12:03 pm |

Sadly, CC’s women’s teams are the Ladies, not the Lady Gentlemen.

• Bob Sullivan | August 27, 2012 at 11:43 am |

Every time they run a story on mascots, I always look for the University of Richomnd (Spiders). Only school with spiders as a mascot.

• Anthony Nuccio | August 27, 2012 at 9:37 am |

It’s slightly difficult to tell for this photo, but Sporting Kansas City had USO patches on against the New York Red Bulls: http://www.mlssoccer...

• James Slenger | August 27, 2012 at 9:43 am |

Gradients are back says Tim O’B.? Nice, let the memories of sublimation return in their full glory!!!

• Tim E. O'B | August 27, 2012 at 10:07 am |

what?

• JamesP. | August 27, 2012 at 10:05 am |

Chris Creamer has found out details on the Astros new unis: http://news.sportslo...

Can’t say I am surprised after the hints that were dropped earlier this season, but I hate that they are not including the shooting star on the jersey…

• JamesP. | August 27, 2012 at 10:09 am |

and potential updated Star-H logo as mentioned in the comments to the above story: http://brewersmissio...

• Arr Scott | August 27, 2012 at 10:28 am |

Wait, no shooting star over the script? Screw that! Astros would be better off keeping their current unis as-is than adopting a “modernized” version of the shooting-star unis without the shooting star.

On the other hand, perhaps this spares us the inevitable migration of the Astros home script down the uni until it’s resting on the belly button, which seems to be what happens to any uni script with elements above the lettering.

• JamesP. | August 27, 2012 at 10:45 am |

Or conversly, as in teh case of the Cardinals logo, the chest insigna migrating to where the top of the logo has migrated to the left shoulder and is no longer centered on the chest.

Creamer complains about the Astros going to the circular logo as the Padres and Nats have, but the Astros were using a circular logo when they became the Astros, so nothing wrong there. Though they can’t have the Dome being orbited by baseballs now…

• ChrisH | August 27, 2012 at 11:01 am |

“…they can’t have the Dome being orbited by baseballs now…”.

And why not? That would be a terrific tribute to their former home.

• Winter | August 27, 2012 at 11:16 am |

Problem is the Astrodome is probably the only Houston landmark people outside of Houston would know on sight.

• JamesP. | August 27, 2012 at 11:20 am |

A tribute for a former stadium as their new team logo? As much as I loved going to games at the Dome, and love that old logo, it is as out of place as a train in MMP after the change which is coming as soon as the season is over.

Now, I could see a Star-H with baseballs orbiting it as the new circular logo…

• ChrisH | August 27, 2012 at 11:38 am |

OK, maybe using the ‘Dome on the primary logo would not be a relevent thing, but what about having it appear on a sleeve patch say…2″ x 2″? Who among us would object to that?

• Ricko | August 27, 2012 at 10:47 am |

Um, “astro” MEANS “star”. Why would they want the star on the jersey? (eyeroll)

astro-
        1. indicating a heavenly body, star, or star-shaped structure

But you’re right, Scott, about the wordmark/logomark ending up low. Teams seem to want to make sure the “letterhigh strike” is more like “belly high”.

(Oh, great, now my mind is thinking about mythical South Pacific islands.)

• Arr Scott | August 27, 2012 at 11:02 am |

Beli Hi, the island of high heat and close shaves.

Thing is, take away the shooting star, and I think the current unis would actually be more space-age and team-name appropriate than any very plain blue-and-orange scheme. Blue is the anti-space color – if you look out the window of your vehicle and you see blue, you’re not in space. So the inclusion of blue requires the other elements to be even stronger to compensate. The shooting star achieves that. A background star behind the H on the cap does not.

Several designs posted here as either uni tweaks or contest entries were much stronger than what the Creamer report is suggesting the Astros are going to do.

• Winter | August 27, 2012 at 11:05 am |

“[I]f you look out the window of your vehicle and see blue,you’re not in space.”

Oh, I don’t know about that.

• Arr Scott | August 27, 2012 at 11:06 am |

I got that wrong. Leta Hai is the island of high heat and close shaves. Beli Hai is the island of low heat and lazy umpires.

• Winter | August 27, 2012 at 10:45 am |

I’m looking forward to the new Astros’ unis. I want something that reminds me this is the team of Nolan Ryan, Jimmy Wynn, Joe Morgan, J.R. Richard and Mike Scott.

And if the shooting star isn’t on the jersey, it better at least be on the BP jerseys, jackets, etc.

• JamesP. | August 27, 2012 at 11:22 am |

Agreed! The shooting-star logo could be a sleeve patch like the Ray on the Rays jersey.

• Winter | August 27, 2012 at 11:37 am |

Also, I want the old shooting star. Not the current negative space thing.

• ChrisH | August 27, 2012 at 10:55 am |

If the Astros go back to using orange as their primary and use only orange helmets, they can omit the shooting star.

• Bernard | August 27, 2012 at 12:23 pm |

If it is anything less than what Alex Rocklein did here (and of course it will be), shame on them.

• Bernard | August 27, 2012 at 12:30 pm |

If the new design is anything less than what Alex Rocklein did (and of course it will be), shame on them.

• Besty | August 27, 2012 at 7:05 pm |

Those are amazing! The best uniforms in baseball right now all the way around if they wore those.

• Ricko | August 27, 2012 at 10:28 am |

Judging by the block number on the jersey, the absence of a TV number on the jersey and no apparent white edge on the sleeve stripes, this photo…
    …probably is from one of the very earliest Raider exhibition games in 1960. At Kezar, too.

In which case, those are practice socks. Doubt they ever showed up during regular season. At least other than on a player or two.

• NotOsama | August 27, 2012 at 11:56 am |

That is exactly what I was thinking in regards to the Raiders ‘R’ on their socks. When I was in High School they would paint/dye the first letter of the school’s name on our team issued sanitary socks. I still have a pair somewhere.

• DDAY | August 27, 2012 at 5:08 pm |

If that photo is from 1960, it is easily the earliest evidence of the raider “shield” logo (on the medkit) rather than the “football” logo:

that I have ever seen. I think most folks (including me)assumed that the shield didn’t appear until AD’s silver and black redesign in ’63. cool stuff.

• ClubMedSux | August 27, 2012 at 10:38 am |

Hey Paul, when you posted the blowtorch technique the first time around, you mentioned that every source you came across only said to torch one side of the steak, but you might try doing both sides in the future. Did you ever try that? How did it turn out?

• Paul Lukas | August 27, 2012 at 11:11 am |

I followed up on that a few times. Basically: It works great if you torch both sides and then put the steak into the oven *on a rack* (not just flat on a baking sheet, as I had originally been doing). The smoker, of course, has its own rack, so that worked fine.

• Jet | August 27, 2012 at 10:49 am |

That wirephoto of the little league coach handing out uniforms gave me flashbacks. I’ll never forget spring of ’70, going to the park and my coach unloading two boxes of unis from the back of his station wagon. Gray cotton flannels with RED SOX in individual red block felt letters across the front, pants with red stripe down the side, red cap and stirrups.

I gasped when he handed me my uni. It was number 17! I had observed all the teams in our little league for several years and the players always received numbers from 1 to 16. I was the first and only player I had seen in the league to have a number outside of those parameters!

-Jet

• quiet seattle | August 27, 2012 at 12:38 pm |

Great story. A true uniform geek!

• Dumb Guy | August 27, 2012 at 1:50 pm |

I played several years for ther same Little League coach. He wore number 1. The players’ uniforms were numbered from smallest size to largest size and in increasing numerical order. I was the smallest kid on the team so for several years I wore No 2. I couldn’t tell you how high they numbered them!!

• Chris K | August 27, 2012 at 3:51 pm |

I have similar memories, since I was almost always the smallest player on my teams back in the 60’s. I always had #4, since 1-5 were each the same size. What a great moment when #17 finally fit me in high school. Thank God for Moms cooking. That and the old fashioned workout regimen known as playing outside.

• Simply Moono | August 27, 2012 at 2:17 pm |

17’s my favorite number! =D

• Scott Wiviott | August 27, 2012 at 11:22 am |

Anybody know of an inforgraphic or list of the other league’s team colors? Looking for the NHL, specifically.

• Zac Neubauer | August 27, 2012 at 11:28 am |

Anyone else notice on the Fleer stickers that the pennants have city names except for the Red Sox? Just curious as if anyone knows why, or what protocol was for all the other stickers.

• concealed78 | August 27, 2012 at 11:44 am |

Probably an oversight & it being for the 1985 set.

The rest of the set:

• quiet seattle | August 27, 2012 at 12:40 pm |

Those jersey stcickers are wonderful. Had I been a kid and collector back then I would have been all over them.

• concealed78 | August 27, 2012 at 11:40 am |

No NBA #NoUniAds?

• Paul Lukas | August 27, 2012 at 11:49 am |

Soon. Still catching up on stuff from blogcation, the Power Rankings, etc.

• concealed78 | August 27, 2012 at 11:47 am |

Speaking of 1985 Fleer stickers, I wasn’t into Robot Wars but if I had this back in the day, this is exactly the kind of crap I would have eaten right up & become a big fan of:

• Kevin | August 27, 2012 at 12:01 pm |

Article on the Top 10 NFL Facemasks of all time.

• Rex | August 27, 2012 at 12:04 pm |

Why are the Oregon fans expected to blend in with the opposing teams? Colorado’s primary color is black and USC’s secondary color is yellow, yet they are instructed to wear these colors.

• Tom V. | August 27, 2012 at 12:26 pm |

They also did this during the NHL playoffs (as well as other sports too). My guess was that it could confuse the visiting team when they’re on offense. If the QB is looking for white jerseys and looks up to see a sea of white shirts it could be incredibly slightly confusing.

• Tim E. O'B | August 27, 2012 at 12:35 pm |

“it could be incredibly slightly confusing”

HA! QOTY

• Glen | August 27, 2012 at 1:39 pm |

How do you think Nebraska’s fans feel, now that they have to play “Nebraska East” every couple of years.

• Shane | August 27, 2012 at 12:11 pm |

The Saints TV numbers being (what appears to be) just solid white looks cheap as hell. Why wouldn’t they go two-color to match the front and back numbers?

• The Jeff | August 27, 2012 at 12:16 pm |

The numbers *are* gold with white outlines. They just happen to be a bit reflective, and being on the shoulders they receive more light and thus appear brighter.

• Richard Craig | August 27, 2012 at 12:13 pm |

Really nice detail shot of the curved lightning bolt area on the Chargers’ road pants here:

Didn’t notice the bolt curving across a vertical seam before.

• Simply Moono | August 27, 2012 at 2:23 pm |

I noticed that a while back. I love the stretch mesh panel and the fact that the bolts are sewn on… as they should be.

• BK | August 27, 2012 at 12:28 pm |

Update on the douchebags of the month:

The University of Alabama has stepped in and asked Collegiate Licensing Co. to stop the cease and desist letters and will allow Mary’s Cakes and Pastries to continue to make cakes and cookies with the script A.

I’m sure this is a hot topic here on the message board.

• Paul Lukas | August 27, 2012 at 12:36 pm |

Good for Alabama!

• pilight | August 27, 2012 at 12:28 pm |

I watched the replay of the Dream-Lynx game on ESPN3 and it appears that Armintie Price’s 0 was covered up rather than peeled off. There’s some kind of white rectangle where it should be on both the front and back.

• Connie | August 27, 2012 at 12:32 pm |

“…’Morris Brown College, a historically black college in Atlanta, is experiencing extreme financial difficulties and may have to close,’ says Austin Gillis. ‘I wanted to find out a little more about the history of the school, so I went to Wikipedia and found this pretty amazing photo of the 1900 Morris Brown baseball team.’ …”

Great find.

• quiet seattle | August 27, 2012 at 12:43 pm |

Yes, indeed. That picture is extrordinary.

• Benjamin J. Douthett | August 27, 2012 at 6:48 pm |

I’m surprised no one’s pointed out that Morris Brown was the Opposing Sports Team in the movie Drumline.

• quiet seattle | August 27, 2012 at 12:46 pm |

Kudos to Bruce Menard for curating the wire service photos. They are amazing.

I love how the one newspaper caption refers to the umpires as “arbiters.”

• Bruce Menard | August 27, 2012 at 7:57 pm |

Thanks!
      Glad you enjoyed them. More often than not, the captions provide all sorts of tidbits of information…

• Birds4Brains | August 27, 2012 at 12:47 pm |

Guy behind the shirt looks like Butt-head or Marc Summers.

• BK | August 27, 2012 at 1:03 pm |

Maybe I missed it, but when will the College Football Uni preview be up?

• Paul Lukas | August 27, 2012 at 1:15 pm |

Wednesday.

• Paul Lukas | August 27, 2012 at 1:11 pm |

For those of you who like to listen in on such things, I’ll be interviewed for about 10 minutes today at 3pm Eastern on this radio station:

The station is in Edmonton, so I gather we’re gonna be talking a lot about my (mis)assessment of the Oilers in the Power Rankings.

• Brinke | August 27, 2012 at 1:34 pm |

Turn on the USO——–rain delay, day one.
    frackin’ frack frack frack.

• Simply Moono | August 27, 2012 at 2:27 pm |

FRAK THE WEATHER GODS

(gotta throw in a Periphery reference there ;) )

Speaking of, Isaac better not screw things up for me this weekend.

• A.V. | August 27, 2012 at 1:53 pm |

Check it out….Paul got a mention on the Montreal Canadiens website.

• Ben K | August 27, 2012 at 3:38 pm |

Most teams for footy have a training top. Many college teams use thier practice jerseys as warm up tops. It is a recruiting tool and many of those training tops have zero color scheme with the school’s colors. Much like pro teams have with thier 3rd kits. We do this at our school too. Both men’s and women’s

• Geoff | August 27, 2012 at 4:26 pm |

Any info on the Redskins’ odd home uni choice on Saturday night? I’ve never seen them wear white over gold ever at home, even back in the 1970’s when there were no white or burgundy pants.

• Geoff | August 27, 2012 at 4:43 pm |

Wait, I stand corrected. In the horrible “Ronald McDonald” game at home against the Giants a few years back they did wear the gold pants with the white jersey. And that terrible yellow “R” helmet. But why this past weekend? Does somebody have a thing for the white on gold that’s been their uniform for all three preseason games this year?

• Paul Lukas | August 27, 2012 at 5:46 pm |

I don’t have an explanation for it, but I sure do like it! it’s a great look.

• Ferdinand Cesarano | August 27, 2012 at 4:46 pm |

The copy on that Jerry Lewis photo says “He did manage a single on his second trip to the plate.” I’d like to see footage of that.

Hey, lady!

• Bruce Menard | August 27, 2012 at 7:58 pm |

I’d LOVE to see the footage (I’ve looked, nothing yet).

• marc | August 27, 2012 at 5:12 pm |

That photo of the R on the ’62 Raiders socks got me curious and I found some supporting evidence on Jim Otto:

• Chris K | August 27, 2012 at 5:54 pm |

Good to see Culinary Corner make an appearance. Since it’s been awhile, I’ve never noticed how much that cartoony guy looks like Oliver Hardy.

• Marc | August 27, 2012 at 6:53 pm |

Nets new Floor (and primary logo) leak

• Marc | August 27, 2012 at 6:56 pm |

Creamer’s site shows that logo as the “secondary” logo, but don’t most teams have their primary at center court?

• Marc | August 27, 2012 at 6:59 pm |

Never mind….just checked some court designs…seems like many teams use secondary or alternate logos at center court.

• Mike Engle | August 27, 2012 at 7:03 pm |

I would think that most teams would employ a circular logo at the center, if/when applicable. Not an ironclad rule (I think of the Knicks right away, who used the main triangular logo, not the subway token NYK logo), but a decent rule of thumb. Hey, you need a circle anyway, so why not?

• CWac19 | August 27, 2012 at 9:27 pm |

I could be mistaken, but it looks like that court has been assembled on the floor of the Izod Center in the Meadowlands. As a “long suffering” Nets fan with NJ roots, I don’t begrudge the move — it makes good business sense, and I will remain a fan — but this kind of makes me cringe.

• Peter H | August 27, 2012 at 7:18 pm |

What a great photo of Fred Hatfield. So much to see in this. What really caught my eye is the room they’re in. I believe they are in a small travel trailer. Low ceiling with a paneling seam. Handles on doors and cabinets have spring latch buttons on them so they don’t fly open when in motion. Long aircraft style hinges. Judging by the TV and the chotchkes on the counter the trailer is probably permanently parked. I lived in one just like this when I was in college back in the 70’s in Carbondale, IL.

• Bruce Menard | August 27, 2012 at 7:59 pm |

I’m pretty sure that you’re right about it being a trailer…I thought the same thing when I first found the photo.

• Patrick_in_MI | August 27, 2012 at 7:43 pm |

Will COTD be returning when Paul is all caught up? Glad you’re back, boss!

• Paul Lukas | August 27, 2012 at 8:19 pm |

Yes — thanks for reminding me.

• Phil Hecken | August 27, 2012 at 8:17 pm |

what the fuck is clijsters wearing?

• Will S | August 27, 2012 at 9:20 pm |

Can we run a poll on “high socks” vs “high cuffs?” I played baseball for years and years and never heard it called “high cuffs” except for here. Where I’m from you either showed “high socks” or wore “low socks” (about an inch or less above the shoe) or went “pants down” (pajama-style). In fact, most guys who wore their pants down would just wear ankle or mid-calf socks because they were more comfortable to them, so they actually were wearing low socks as opposed to high socks.

I understand where your coming from, I just think it would be interesting to see what it’s called in places besides Chicagoland.

• Phil Hecken | August 27, 2012 at 10:13 pm |

i believe, if you play in the bigs anyway, you always wear “high socks” even if you pull your pants down to your ankles…i’ve yet to see a major leaguer who, if his jammy’s get pulled up on say, a slide, do we see anklets or golf socks

so…at least to me, “high socks” doesn’t really tell us anything we don’t already know (other than it conveys the fact that you’re cuffing/blousing your pants)…but tis not technically correct for big leaguers

god forbid their comfort should come second to the proper way to wear a uniform though

• Marc | August 28, 2012 at 1:15 am |

I’ve seen a few photos of players in “action shots” where you can see they’re wearing ankle socks. I wouldn’t be surprised if a large percentage of players don’t wear high socks anymore.

• Coleman | August 27, 2012 at 9:31 pm |

Derek Holland lookin’ pretty damn sharp with the ‘rups tonight!

• StLMarty | August 27, 2012 at 10:26 pm |

oh boy. That WKRP episode was a doozy.
    I still think Bailey was hotter.
    And Bucky’s catch at third base, beer in hand, was out a sight.

• Pittsburgh Contrarian | August 27, 2012 at 11:51 pm |

Bailey > Jennifer.

• Peter H | August 28, 2012 at 12:53 am |

Another Pro-Bailey vote. The perfect nerd-girl.

• Reed | August 28, 2012 at 7:44 am |

thanks for the post. http://www.uni-watch... great work guys.