White or Wolf Grey?

By John Ekdahl

The Seattle Seahawks will be debuting their new away unis tonight at Mile High Stadium. The only question is whether they will be white or wolf grey. This will also be Peyton Manning’s first appearance at home, so you’ll get to see him in traffic cone orange. The game kicks off at 9PM Eastern.

Yet Saturday night will also mark the coming-out party for the Seahawks’ new road uniforms. For those already drawing a blank on the team’s full new selection of uniforms, a photo gallery is embedded below.

While the team hasn’t officially announced which threads it will be sporting in the Mile-High City, one would guess fans will be treated to the team’s new, white uniforms for the first time (the second preseason game hardly seems the time to bust out Seattle’s “wolf-grey” alternates).

. . . . .

IndyCar’s Panther Racing will be donning a 49ers color scheme for the GoPro Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma this year in a nod to one of its founding partners, Jim Harbaugh.

Did you know that Panther Racing’s primary IZOD IndyCar Series entry has been No. 4 since its inception as a tribute to founding partner Jim Harbaugh, who wore the jersey number for the majority of his college and NFL playing career?

For the Aug. 24-26 GoPro Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma, the National Guard car will carry a San Francisco 49ers livery as a tribute to the team’s head coach. It just so happens that driver JR Hildebrand of nearby Sausalito, Calif., is a lifelong 49ers fan. Hildebrand, Panther Racing owner John Barnes, the team’s pit crew and select soldiers from the National Guard will take the car to the 49ers training facility in Santa Clara on Aug. 23.

. . . . .

Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 10.32.36 PM

This month “Benchies” also appears Monday through Friday at Uni-Watch.

. . . . .

Greg likes…

8-18-12 d-Dot

Click to enlarge

83 comments to White or Wolf Grey?

• JimWa | August 18, 2012 at 9:28 am |

Two things …

#1 Are NFL referees only wearing the black Cooperalls this pre-season, or am I missing something?

• Rick | August 18, 2012 at 9:32 am |

Don’t know, but I was wondering if perhaps since they’re replacement officials getting them fitted for both white baseball knickers and the black pants was considered an unnecessary expense.

Easier to just issue ’em the black ones and go from there.

• Adam | August 18, 2012 at 2:39 pm |

Knickers are gone at all levels. Just black pants now.

• Joe O. | August 20, 2012 at 1:00 pm |

Mike Periera (sp?) Former head of NFL referees confirmed no more Knickers (except in throwback situations) on his twitter a couple weeks ago

• The Jeff | August 18, 2012 at 9:29 am |

With the NFL’s silly rules limiting the usage of alternate jerseys, are teams even allowed to wear them in the preseason?

• Peter S | August 18, 2012 at 10:22 am |

Pretty sure they are. I specifically remember the Panthers wearing blue tops instead of black (probably due to heat) in past preseasons.

• Phil W | August 18, 2012 at 10:28 am |

The Colts also wore their ’55 throwbacks two years ago in the preseason.

• Mike Engle | August 18, 2012 at 12:12 pm |

Yeah, I think alternates are allowed one appearance each in the pre-season and playoffs, in addition to twice in the regular season.

• JimWa | August 18, 2012 at 9:30 am |

#2 Not often you see a guy dressed better than most wedding’s best men throwing out the first pitch at a game. I know it’s an old pic, but curious image to me nonetheless …

• Gusto4044 | August 18, 2012 at 9:32 am |

First thing which popped into my mind when talking about grey football uniforms was the movie “North Dallas Forty”. In that flick, the Dallas team had grey uniforms and a silver helmet.

• CrazyAnna | August 18, 2012 at 9:53 am |

I believe we are wearing our away (white) uniforms. Are monochrome grey will be during the season.

• CrazyAnna | August 18, 2012 at 9:53 am |

*Our

• Rick | August 18, 2012 at 9:58 am |

Yesterday saw some practice video of T.O. in the dark jersey with the gray pants. Wasn’t a bad look.

Practice jersey doesn’t have all the shoulder trim, of course.

• Tom | August 18, 2012 at 9:58 am |

Considering the Broncos have white pants also at home. i it out of the realm to think the Seahawks may have white jerseys and blue pants?

• Arr Scott | August 18, 2012 at 10:16 am |

Which would probably be their best uni combo, so here’s hoping.

• Stevie McQuistan | August 18, 2012 at 11:21 am |

Considering there are rumors of the Seahawks wearing a plain helmet (like in 1976) with the gray alternates, I highly doubt they would break them out in the preseason.

• Ricko | August 18, 2012 at 1:34 pm |

Might not be a great rumor to believe. Pretty sure the NFL allows alternate helmets only with throwbacks.

• Ricko | August 18, 2012 at 1:35 pm |

And let’s don’t start the “plain helmets in ’76” b.s. again, either.

• concealed78 | August 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm |

I don’t know why people don’t ever just post a pic or video from that year. It’s not that difficult.

The b.s. stops here.

• NickV | August 18, 2012 at 7:14 pm |

Saints wore a logo-less helmet back in the 1970s too – I saw it on an Archie Manning bubblegum card, and I think maybe in a Color TV Set advertizemen. It had stripes on it, though, and wasn’t totally blank like the early Seahawks helmets ….Still, it looked pretty cool ….

• Ricko | August 18, 2012 at 7:28 pm |

If we go by those cards the Vikings had a plain purple helmet, too.

• Phil Hecken | August 18, 2012 at 1:05 pm |

what position do you play?

• Simply Moono | August 18, 2012 at 3:55 pm |

Fucking… THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Johnny O | August 18, 2012 at 5:29 pm |

As part owner of the Green Bay Packers, I proudly say “our” when referring to them.

• Simply Moono | August 18, 2012 at 6:07 pm |

And that’s perfectly fine =)

• Coleman | August 18, 2012 at 8:27 pm |

Hey Johnny O, how much ya want for your share??!!

• Johnny O | August 18, 2012 at 11:19 pm |

As a man who is a season ticket holder (gold package), shareholder, and someone who had their wedding reception at Lambeau Field, My Packer share is pretty much priceless.

• Coleman | August 19, 2012 at 1:42 am |

Johnny, will you please adopt me? Heh heh.

• CrazyAnna | August 18, 2012 at 6:29 pm |

rude

• elgato11x | August 18, 2012 at 6:37 pm |

What if he works for the team? I think it would be ok to say “we” or “our” in that case.

• Frank from Bmore | August 18, 2012 at 11:04 pm |

Or if he pays for Season Tickets. I am tired of that comment, I consider the team ours (the community) and refer to them as we.

• CrazyAnna | August 19, 2012 at 6:44 pm |

SHE (not he) as in I do not work for the team, but the team represents the city and I am part of that city. Therefore, saying “we” or “our” or “my” team is perfectly fine.

• JimWa | August 18, 2012 at 10:45 am |

Do the Seahawks (and/or Patriots) need to get league approval for a color on color game when playing in grey/silver against a darker color-clad opponent?

• Shane | August 18, 2012 at 12:46 pm |

Pats don’t have a silver alt anymore, they replaced it with a red throwback.

• [name redacted] | August 18, 2012 at 11:10 am |

Two notes on Sunderland player James McClean

1. He had his name spelled “McLean” on his kit

2. He had to be sent off to fix his sock tape, which did not match the color of his socks.

• Jim Vilk | August 18, 2012 at 11:58 am |

Today’s Benchies:

Jim Vilk likes this.

Don’t miss Facebook, though. Am I now the only person left without an account?

• Bob A | August 18, 2012 at 12:22 pm |

No, you’re not. But our ranks are shrinking

• concealed78 | August 18, 2012 at 1:03 pm |

Nope. And I too miss rotary phones, along with public pay phones & booths.

• Mick | August 18, 2012 at 2:41 pm |

Great Benchies today!

• jrg | August 18, 2012 at 6:28 pm |

Nope – but I’ll probably have to give in next year to monitor oldest daughter when she turns 13 and wants an account.

• concealed78 | August 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm |

Or you know, you could actually just say “no” and save yourself the stress & hassle from monitoring it.

I honestly do not see why anyone under 18 needs to use the Internet. If they need to do research, they can go to the library like the rest of us did.

• Kyle Allebach | August 18, 2012 at 8:38 pm |

Haha I actually laughed out loud reading Benchies.

So how do we tell if they just sent a tweet?

• quiet seattle | August 18, 2012 at 12:23 pm |

Oh, Seahawks. “Wolf Grey.” Really?

(sigh)….

• Jim Vilk | August 18, 2012 at 12:24 pm |

Hey all of you “soccer is boring…nobody scores” folks, check out Opening Day of the Premier League:

Two 5-0 games and my Baggies beat Liverpool 3-0!
    Please tell me he’s wearing a cup…

Not that you *need* a lot of scoring – good goalies make for some exciting games, too.

Seven games today, six of them are completed…that’s just enough to do an Opening Day 5&1!

• concealed78 | August 18, 2012 at 1:28 pm |

Soccer is boring because it’s just kickball, Jim. You can’t use your hands, there’s no fighting, it’s a big field; there’s not a lot going on. It’s so simple even Kindergarteners play it. The fact that the clock doesn’t stop when the ball goes out of bounds always bothered me. It just seems like one long drawn game with people randomly moving around. I just need something more. More scoring isn’t going to entice my interest. The NHL hurt itself by changing the rules & opening up scoring & I vastly prefer 1-0 & 2-1 MLB games over softball-style 15-13 games.

• Ricko | August 18, 2012 at 1:48 pm |

“it’s a big field.”

Have always wondered how different soccer might be if the pitch were, say, 3/4 or even 2/3 the size it is normally.

• concealed78 | August 18, 2012 at 1:59 pm |

I’ve wondered that too. Fewer players, smaller goal, time stoppages & quarters/periods, hand use, rugby-style contact.

If we had rugby leagues in this country on TV (I’ve only seen Australian Football League on PBS 20.3 MHz Network, Chicago) I would most definitely watch that.

• jrg | August 18, 2012 at 6:29 pm |

Some of that got implemented in the various indoor leagues.

• Jim Vilk | August 18, 2012 at 10:50 pm |

You say that like it’s a bad thing. You want fighting, watch boxing or that MMA stuff. I like kickball.

It. Would. Be. Awesome.

• Coleman | August 19, 2012 at 1:49 am |

Great clip, Vilker! Doubt many see it tonight, but you’re not gonna win that guy ’78 over.

Side note… That 3rd goal of Stan’s was fucking beautiful.

• concealed78 | August 19, 2012 at 11:53 am |

Boxing is fixed, full of juicers & is an antiquated sport anyway. MMA is not what I’m really after, either. I mean like the old NHL where it’s a part of the game & a player gets pissed off and needs to let off some steam, fights & serves a penalty. Pitching inside & brawls used to be a part of MLB until Selig outlawed it to lure in the easily offended casual or pacifist fan who doesn’t like violence. And I just REALLY hate that referee yellow & red card b.s. in soccer – my elementary school’s gym teachers ran their youngest grades with that disciplinary system & it always annoyed the shit out of me.

And I wouldn’t use ANY All Star Game to build an argument. Everyone knows it’s just a marshmallow contest to show off offense that SHOULD be an exhibition that means nothing in the sport’s postseason & the best players deserving get voted in instead of popularity contests & stupid online voting.

Soccer is just too simplistic. It’s another one of those sports that’s more fun to play than watch.

• Rick | August 18, 2012 at 12:34 pm |

Love the brims on the most of the Little Leaguers.
    Such a good, classic look (eyeroll)…

• Glenn | August 18, 2012 at 12:38 pm |

Pretty sure tonight’s game between Denver & Seattle is not being played at Mile High Stadium, considering that venue was knocked down in 2002. I understand the irritation and annoyance at corporate names on public entities/venues, and if this were the same venue that just sold the naming rights, (ie “I’m still calling it the Jake” instead of Progressive Field or “Jack Murphy” instead of Qualcomm), then I’d wholly support using the previous, non-corporate name.

With it being a completely different building though, it really should be referred to by its given name, or at least, “New Mile High Stadium” (in quotes or otherwise notated to show the writer’s deliberate intention of using the other name. Just my .02.

• concealed78 | August 18, 2012 at 1:44 pm |

Well I sure as shit am not calling it “Sp*rts Auth*rity Field at Mile High”. And you know Sp*rts Auth*rity won’t be the sponsor during the whole tenure at that stadium. Mile High Stadium is good enough.

I think calling a place “New Yankee Stadium” would get antiquated after the first few years at the ballpark. Plus if the new ballpark is generally in the same vicinity as the old one, I think the old name or something like Mile High Stadium II (but not mentioning the formality of the numeral like with Busch Stadium) will suffice but only if the new stadium’s name is a corporate advertising name. Just my take on it.

• Shane | August 18, 2012 at 12:47 pm |

Sox are double digits back in the division, you say?
    Falling out of the wild card, you say?
    Clubhouse turmoil, you say?
    YESTERDAY was Stirrup Friday, you say?

Too bad, I got these in the mail from RPM today:

• Ricko | August 18, 2012 at 1:27 pm |

Okay, folks, let’s hear it for Rico Petrocelli!

• Phil Hecken | August 18, 2012 at 1:36 pm |

nice job shane and comrade — send me that pic and i’ll start a file to feature those wearing their rups on rup friday once i go back to weekends…

was that the only pair your ordered? or can we expect a slew of rup friday offerings?

• Andrew Seagraves | August 18, 2012 at 3:43 pm |

Those maroon and gold stirrups are GORGEOUS… I may have to get a pair!

• Andrew Seagraves | August 18, 2012 at 3:44 pm |

oh, wait… my bad

• Andrew Seagraves | August 18, 2012 at 3:49 pm |

Stirrups are gorgeous, just… you know what – I’m gonna quit talking now

• Shane | August 19, 2012 at 1:02 am |

Just the Red Sox. Had to have a pair after they busted them out against the A’s earlier this season.

And Ricko, I paired them with a 70’s red crowned Sox hat tonight. Great minds, etc.

• Coleman | August 18, 2012 at 1:37 pm |

Large hole in the back, homie!

• Coleman | August 18, 2012 at 1:29 pm |

Watching Man v. Food and Adam is wearing an “I’m still calling it The Jake” t-shirt. Nice.

• David Johnson | August 18, 2012 at 2:52 pm |

GO 49ERS!!!

• Steve V. | August 18, 2012 at 2:57 pm |

The New Jersey Nets grey alternates are the only grey uniforms (non-baseball) that have been successful in pro sports.

• Wheels | August 18, 2012 at 3:10 pm |

Those alts were ugly as shit.

• anonymous | August 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm |

Don’t know if anyone’s brought this up yet, but the Red Sox now have a black armband for Johnny Pesky.

• Mike Engle | August 18, 2012 at 7:19 pm |

It has been brought up, actually.
      So far, the away uniforms have black armbands, while Fenway Park itself has a black wreath on Pesky’s #6 sign in the retired numbers section on the wall. Any new developments, e.g.: on the home jerseys?

• Kek | August 18, 2012 at 5:56 pm |

Great Benchies Ricko!

There’s a similar “green dot” phenomenon going on with twitter. Pittsburgh fans are posting “Is that a new PNC sign behind the plate” almost on a nightly basis. (There is a new sign back there for those of you not in the know!)

• Mike Engle | August 18, 2012 at 7:20 pm |

Agreed. One of my favorite installments of Benchies in a long time.

• Greg B. | August 18, 2012 at 7:47 pm |

I didn’t notice a comment on it last night, but I watched a bit of the Ravens-Lions game last night: Ravens in home purple, Lions in road white. I had the impression that the Lions color palette has changed a bit. The blue looks a bit deeper in hue, to the point where in a wide shot they looked like the Carolina Panthers instead of the Lions, who always had a unique color and were always pretty easy to tell apart from the Panthers in the past.

Anyone notice this?

• wayne | August 19, 2012 at 12:31 am |

FWIW-I did. I had to double take a coupla times

• Kyle Allebach | August 18, 2012 at 8:49 pm |

Call me crazy, but I actually kind of miss the Seahawks old uniforms. Yeah, it had it’s falts, and could have been fixed really easily, but it’s better than Nike’s initial NFL-offering.

• Jeff Wilcox | August 18, 2012 at 9:07 pm |

This certainly may have been covered, but today was the first coverage of the NFL I’ve seen since the NFL preseason started… Has everyone noticed some of the darker jersey’s changing shades because of the sweat? It’s darker where there aren’t pads. It’s not subtle either. Looks terrible.

• James Craven | August 18, 2012 at 9:31 pm |

There is a sad lack of honor for Civil Rights Game in the ATL this year. Regular uniforms (Braves’ cream alt faubax vs. Dodgers roads, no field logos, just a logo on the caps.)

Who’s calling malarkey, blarney, baloney and BS with me?

• Mike Engle | August 18, 2012 at 10:28 pm |

Who said everything needs a logo? Though I’d rather certain other logos disappear, one fewer bumper sticker is fine by me.

• concealed78 | August 19, 2012 at 12:09 pm |

Agreed.

• kyle | August 18, 2012 at 9:49 pm |

Angels are celebrating the 10th anniversary of their world series win tonight and on the mound, instead of the usual A logo they’ve got “World Champs” and “2002” stenciled in. Also have a large logo and 2002 mowed into the centerfield area grass.

• Rich | August 19, 2012 at 5:58 pm |

How about wearing the Seahawks wearing the grey pants for away/home as their standard pant? It would be a bit of a throwback to the old days.