Sunday Morning Uni Watch

Miami USF

By Phil Hecken, with Terry Duroncelet

Perhaps more notable that the uni action (though there was plenty of that) was the huge number of upsets of the top 5 teams this weekend, with three of the top five falling (Okie State Friday night, and the U of O and Boomer Sooner last night). Looks like we may be seeing a BCS matchup of a season rematch (LSU vs. Bama). But that’s looking way too far ahead…

So, lets just get into Terry’s NCAA rundown:

~~~

• On Thursday, Virginia Tech wore their orange jerseys from their Homecoming game a few weeks back against North Carolina (note #92’s quickie-fixed side panel). The maroon helmet worn in that game did not have the white-orange-white stripe from last week’s Georgia Tech game. Two problems I have though: 1) Why do they insist on wearing those dumb all-white pants when they have white pants with a maroon-orange-maroon stripe that are far-superior than the all-whites? 2) Even though I mentioned in last week’s post that I like the move from black socks to white, about 90% of the VT players this week (and a fair amount last week) had tall white tubes, creating a not-so-pleasing white dancer legging-effect. I support staying warm in cool weather, but if you’re gonna do that Hokies, then please invest in some NFL-style maroon (or even orange) tall socks. As for UNC, they looked good with one of the better modern-style uniforms in college football today, but I wished that they would’ve worn the Carolina Blue pants. Ehh, I guess that’s just the light-blue fan in me. Overall, a great-looking game.

• On Friday, Oklahoma State wore black lids, white jerseys, and orange pants. Overall? However, their mascot is really creepy-looking.

• On Saturday, USF wore their Wounded Warrior Project uniforms. In the words of a bronie: DAT HELMET… I honestly don’t know how to feel about that helmet. Note the lack of a helmet logo, because the promo pics had pictures of the helmet with the logo. In that same game, one of the Bulls players was injured on a play, which prompted one of his teammates to see if he was alright, and we in turn got a look at the back of his WWP socks. My initial thought was that it was this logo, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Anybody else know?

• If you look at the top scoreboard in this photo, you can see that the network apparently didn’t have any Samford graphics ready, so they used Auburn’s “UA” as a placeholder. That, or there was a mix-up in the graphics control room.

• Michigan wore U.S. flag patches on their uniforms. Anybody know why? And a note from Kyle Munro: “Have you noticed the color difference between the Michigan helmet wings/stripes and the new numbers they have on there? I copied a picture but it’s easier to notice watching a game. Looks different to me. Which one is maize and which is yellow? And how does a fan base so stuck on tradition allow a new coach to come in and change their historic uniforms permanently? Wins I guess. I don’t get it.”

• Remember when NC State went BFBS/PNFBCAS (Black For Black’s Sake/Pink Numbers For Breast Cancer Awareness’s Sake) on Oct. 9th of this year? I mentioned something about the red helmets worn in that game, with this line: “But why brand-new red helmets, instead of special black helmets with a pink NC State logo? Presumably to better match the normal unis and get in on the hydra party.” Turns out I was right.

• Colorado State wore gold at home.

• Colorado State wore the black helmets from the USC game against LA’s other Pac 12 team.

• No photo, but Tulsa wore their Oregon carbon/North Carolina hybrid helmets again against UTEP.

• When I tuned in to the Wyoming/New Mexico game, I developed the strangest craving for yellow cake with chocolate frosting for some reason. Don’t know why.

• Wake Forest wore gold jerseys against Maryland. Awful designs aside, this was a colorful game, and it’s always good to see the shelmet.

• Ole Miss wore their red jerseys against LSU. Seems like they wear these against the Tigers every year. No complaints here.

• South Carolina and The Citadel went color-on-color. Full gallery here.

• Someone who goes just by Keenan sent an email to Phil (who then forwarded it to me) saying “For the first time ever Adidas has made blue half sleeves sported by Notre same including punter Ben Turk”. I’m confused. What does that mean? You mean this? I’m stumped. Also, if you look *really* hard in this pic, you can see the stained glass pattern sublimated on the shoulders. I didn’t see that until Yesterday. Has that been there the entire season?

• #98 for Stanford wore black cleats last night. The white sock/black shoe look is a great one, but looks kind of out of place for this uniform.

• And, of course, Arizona State and Arizona went Vader vs. Stormtrooper last night in the desert.

~~~

Thanks Terry! Great job as usual.

~~~~~~~~~~

Screen shot 2011-11-14 at 9.19.25 AM.png

Notre Dame auction update: The auction for the Notre Dame promo box is continuing. No bids were submitted yesterday, so the high bid is still $4301 and the minimum bid for today is now $4601. If nobody bids today, the minimum bid will increase to $4701 tomorrow.

Full details on how to bid, and everything else regarding the auction, can be found here.

~~~~~~~~~~

Benchies HeaderBenchies

by Rick Pearson

~~~

“We gather together to ask…”

11-20-11 s-deliver

And your full-size.

~~~~~~~~~~

all sport uni tweaksUni Tweaks

We have another new set of tweaks today.

If you have a tweak, change or concept for any sport, send them my way.

Remember, if possible, try to keep your descriptions to ~50 words (give or take) per tweak. You guys have been great at keeping to that, and it’s much appreciated!

And so, lets begin:

~~~

We start with Kyle Rini, with some logo concepts for the Mountain West Conference:

Phil,

I noticed something that really irks me about the new Doctor Who styled Mountain West logo. It only exists in purple and silver. So I decided to work some MS paint magic and I created Team personalized versions for each school (and the three future schools to join the MWC) so the purple doesn’t stick out as much, enjoy.

Kyle R.

~~~

Next up is Steve Dodell, who sent me the following Mets tweaks before the Mets officially unveiled…but tis still pertinent:

Phil,

The Mets are about to unveil new uniforms for next year…black will be less prominent hopefully gone…they will likely have a blue alt. Here are two blue unis, without the tired piping down the chest.

Don’t know if you do patch tweaks or designs…I did a 50th anniversary patch on Mets Police awhile back

Keep up the good work!

Steve

~~~

And we close with Neal Tarver, with a new look for the Worlds Champs:

Phil:

In response to the Cards winning the world series here is some tweaks to their uniforms. Please enjoy.

HOME

ROAD

Neal

Thanks to today’s concepters. Back next weekend with more.

~~~~~~~~~~

Duck tracker20112011 Duck Tracker

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water, Jake Hurley has stepped up to the plate and taken over the “Duck Tracker” for 2011. What is the Duck Tracker? Quite simply, it tracks each and every uniform combination the Ducks have worn for the 2011 season. He steps in for former tracker Mike Princip, whose non-Uni Watch activities will preclude him from tracking for 2011.

~~~

Here’s the updated 2011 Duck Tracker.

~~~~~~~~~~

5 & 1Jim Vilk’s 5 & 1

And now for the part of the post that I wait up all night for you’ve all been waiting for…

I’ve given ol’ Jim a lot of grief over the “5 & 1” over the past three years couple of weeks, but last night a strange calm came over me and I decided that no matter what he chose, I’d happily agree with his decisions. I even told him he could put Oregon in the “&1” and put his beloved WYO in the top 5 (not that what I tell him matters worth a hill of beans). And I haven’t looked at what is to follow, so let’s see what gems he’s given us for this week:

~~~

Honorable Mentions to Kentucky/Georgia – Lovin’ that checkerboard pattern.

And to Tulane/Rice REALLY thought they were a Top 5 lock, but I wasn’t expecting monochrome Owls.

And the Terp Tracker – Their second-best look of the year…just behind the Virginia game.

5. North Carolina/Virginia Tech – Last week’s combo was their best this season, but the Hokies have looked great every single game.

4. Washington/Oregon State – Not a fan of alliteration, but I am a fan of color, contrast and cloudy days.

3. Army/Temple – Uni-wise, these Owls are flying high.

2. Nebraska/Michigan – Almost thought about going all pre-BCS on you and proclaiming this a co-#1.

1. LSU/Ole Miss – Three years running…can’t beat this one.

And the bad one: Miami/South Florida – Thanks for making my job so easy this week.

~~~

Ah Jim, you even picked Miama for your baddie. I suppose they were due. And I had a hunch that the LSU/Ole Miss was going to top the list. Well done, sir. Well done.

~~~~~~~~~~

And that will be all for this Sunday. Bit of very sad news on the gridiron yesterday as a a runaway truck killed a tailgater at the Harvard/Yale game. Thankfully, our man Conn Nugent wasn’t hurt. Scary stuff, that. If you missed yesterday’s post, it contained a fantastic article authored by Conn. Give it a read.

Everyone have a good Sunday.

~~~

“Mets are like a junkie going straight but still weekending with their dealer.” — ‘A Starlit Carillon’

139 comments to Sunday Morning Uni Watch

• Mike Miller | November 20, 2011 at 8:20 am |

I think that blue blob to the left of “Samford” that didn’t capture well is the Samford logo.

The other Auburn logo is probably an Auburn TV Network logo.

• Yostal | November 20, 2011 at 8:25 am |

A couple of quick Michigan notes:
    1). The American flag patch was for Military Appreciation Day. There was an American flag card stunt, an F-16 flyover and recognition of all active duty and veteran members of each of the five services.
    2). Yes the color is different between the wings and the numbers. The difference is in part because the helmet is a base yellow color with the blue painted on, and the numbers are stickers and the difference in the reflectivity of decal as opposed to the gloss of the helmet.
    3). The changes to the Michigan uniform are not on Brady Hoke, they are on the marketing machine that is Athletic Director (and former Domino’s CEO) David Brandon. The numbers of the helmet are being sold as the players’ choice, coupled with the historical precedent of being there during the 1950s. Fan opinion is split on whether this is a good thing, or a bad thing, but winning makes it less of a thing (as with all things.)

• Donald | November 20, 2011 at 10:10 am |

I was going to say the same thing about the numbers, that this was a players’ decision to keep it on the rest of the season. Will this remain on the helmets next year? Remains to be seen. My guess is for the night game next year, they will have new throwback jerseys for that game since that seems to be the trend they’re starting.

• mmwatkin | November 20, 2011 at 3:22 pm |

“marketing machine that is Athletic Director David Brandon”

Haha. Not sure how much of a marketing machine he is. I don’t think copying events from other schools takes too much effort. Also, linking him to Domino’s probably isn’t the most flattering thing, considering the company had to totally re-invent their image after he left.

• Yostal | November 22, 2011 at 11:01 am |

Oh, no, I’m sorry, that “honorific” for David Brandon should have been noted to be dripping in sarcasm and frustration.

• Pierre | November 20, 2011 at 9:38 am |

South Florida…lemme take a wild guess. Under Armour…?

Good grief…someone make them stop. I hope they f***ing go broke and we never have to see their ugly sh*t again.

• =bg= | November 20, 2011 at 12:20 pm |

yeah i saw the photo and thought—that can’t be Maryland. What could be worse? Well, USF.

Miami does look quite staid & dated in comparison.

• Brad | November 20, 2011 at 9:43 am |

FYI – Colorado State wore gold on the road yesterday, not at home. It was a color vs color game at TCU.

• Jim Vilk | November 20, 2011 at 10:29 am |

Yep.
      And no, it wasn’t &1-worthy, because I like that CSU look.

• Simply Moono | November 20, 2011 at 6:20 pm |

Oh damn… how’d I mess that one up? o_O

• Davey301 | November 20, 2011 at 9:44 am |

The Terps’ shellmet should be black with gray pattern. Pad areas should also have same pattern and colors.

The problem with most of their unis is they look like clothing that was made from a place called “Under Armour”. They don’t look like actual uniforms imo.

• Jim Vilk | November 20, 2011 at 10:21 am |

Here ya go:

• mark | November 20, 2011 at 10:22 am |

Hard to believe that the “U”, once the standard for garish uni’s, now look quite staid.

• Jim Vilk | November 20, 2011 at 10:31 am |

Didn’t get to read yesterday’s article until I finished the 5&1, so here’s another Honorable Mention to Harvard/Yale.

• BDanner | November 20, 2011 at 10:38 am |

I’ve always thought Harvard’s uniforms were some of the best in football. As far as traditional looks go, it doesn’t get much better.

• Jake Hurley | November 20, 2011 at 10:43 am |

Hey guys there are some “realistic concepts” posted on the duck tracker this week, thought I would let everyone know.

• Shane | November 20, 2011 at 6:40 pm |

I like the concepts, but wouldn’t mind seeing green helmet/green jersey/black pants, either.

• Shane | November 20, 2011 at 6:45 pm |

Hrm, on second though, maybe not:

Maybe if the wings/numbers were yellow though.

• M.Princip | November 20, 2011 at 10:44 am |

Oregon, twice in the all black, and twice they lost.

Oregon, remember, school colors are green and yellow. Hopefully, Chip Kelly will stop listening to the players and their desire to look like badass fast Ninjas….weeeeeeeee(they’re not), and go with what his heart says, to wear school colors.

Jake has some perdy slick, “Realistic Concepts”.

• Jim Vilk | November 20, 2011 at 10:54 am |

Agreed, Mike. They’re green and yellow…not the black hole.

• Kyle Allebach | November 20, 2011 at 1:02 pm |

I’m pretty sure is heart says “lets listen to Nike”.

• LarryB | November 20, 2011 at 1:09 pm |

Oregon can and would look sharp in school colors. Too bad they rarely wear them.

• Eric | November 20, 2011 at 1:45 pm |

But they’ve done all black in 3 other games where they won (Arizona in 2008, ASU in 2009, and Washington in 2010), so you can’t say it’s a trend of them losing in all black.

As for Jake’s concepts, I glad there’s no yellow helmets or pants since they just don’t look right for this uniform set.

• Eric | November 20, 2011 at 1:46 pm |

Meant I’m instead of I in that second paragraph.

• Jake Hurley | November 20, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
        • Eric | November 21, 2011 at 1:37 am |

But to have pants and helmets to match the current wing uniforms wouldn’t look right. I never was that big of a fan of the previous all-yellow looks. The uniforms you used were the throwbacks so they’re not in the same color palette of the current unis. The lightning yellow is fine for jerseys but not really for pants or helmets.

• Jim Vilk | November 20, 2011 at 10:48 am |

I’ll have what he’s having…

We would have put that calm to the test if New Mexico wore last year’s unis yesterday against Wyoming. That would have been sublime.

• saintsfan | November 20, 2011 at 11:05 am |

the Oregon State player in Movi’s 5 & 1 is wearing nike elite basketball socks….WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!

• Jim Vilk | November 20, 2011 at 11:09 am |

‘Cause it’s basketball season…it’s the most wonderful time of the year!

• Phil Hecken | November 20, 2011 at 11:14 am |

“‘Cause it’s basketball season…it’s the most wonderful time of the year dark time between the end of the football season and spring training!”

FIXED

• LT | November 20, 2011 at 11:53 am |

A lot of the Nike schools wear those socks, or at least some version of them. I tend to like them because they add a little bit more contrast. Also I love the fact that they are wearing colored socks. There was an OU player yesterday wearing one on his forearm. Having several pairs they are far superior to other nike socks that I have worn.

• Winter | November 20, 2011 at 11:05 am |

The Mountain West logo does kind of resemble the Matt Smith Doctor Who logo. Not sure, but I think the Massive Dynamic logo from Fringe was out a year or two earlier, though.

• Winter | November 20, 2011 at 11:09 am |

I know it’s not AS close, but an interesting trend.

• kyle | November 20, 2011 at 2:44 pm |

Thats just an m version of this logo which older than both of them. http://upload.wikime...

• Winter | November 20, 2011 at 4:26 pm |

True. Didn’t play Nintendo, so didn’t remember it.

• Bernard | November 20, 2011 at 11:36 am |

I think OK State’s mascot has a future in the movies.

• Terence M.K. | November 20, 2011 at 1:33 pm |

America! Fuck yeah!

• Rob S | November 20, 2011 at 11:23 pm |

MATT DAMON!

• lose remerswaal | November 20, 2011 at 11:37 am |

BC has done the Stained Glass thing all year

• Shane | November 20, 2011 at 11:47 am |

I actually really dig the South Florida helmets, but not in a playing-sense.

It’d make a cool art piece.

• Bernard | November 20, 2011 at 11:54 am |

I really dislike Ole Miss’s red jerseys. They look vastly superior in blue.

• LarryB | November 20, 2011 at 1:22 pm |

Ole Miss looks good in both. I give an edge to red.

• Jim | November 20, 2011 at 1:53 pm |

I thought Ole Miss would have worn gray last night, forcing LSU to wear their little-used purple jerseys.

• Jim Vilk | November 20, 2011 at 7:28 pm |

Then LSU woulda beaten them by 100…

Personally, I love the reds with the blue helmets. Contrast, baby…contrast.

• AnthonyTX | November 20, 2011 at 12:08 pm |

The MLS just tweeted this picture in celebration of today’s MLS Cup final, with the caption, “A House Divided.”

Those look like some DIY shirts, don’t they?

• =bg= | November 20, 2011 at 12:18 pm |

Bears player warned about shoes

• The Jeff | November 20, 2011 at 12:27 pm |

That seems just a bit harsh.

• Kyle Allebach | November 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm |

It’s the NFL. What do you expect? Fines for when people actually deserve it?

• Phil Hecken | November 20, 2011 at 12:39 pm |

while i agree (in concept) with keeping the players uniform in their footwear, if the NFL is going to both allow and encourage this sort of shit, they’ve lost any (legal and moral) high ground on which to oppose “self-expression through shoe color”

personally, i think it’s all a “look-at-me” move anyway (wearing different color shoes than your teammates), so i agree with the prohibition on that ground, but i also feel the NFL is acting arbitrarily, capriciously and contradictorily by allowing the pink menace.

barn door:horse

• Rob S | November 20, 2011 at 11:28 pm |

Plus, banning him from the game if he tries to play with the “illegal” shoes, not to mention fines of $15,000… meanwhile, players in the Lions-Bears brawl get $7,500 fines for actions that needlessly put players at greater risk of injury – and thus affecting the league’s image to a much greater level than one person’s shoes ever could.

• Tim E. O'B | November 20, 2011 at 12:58 pm |

No Fun League. Bennett was just having some fun with his feet. His teammates love it (especially when he gets fined). It doesn’t hurt anybody and Phil’s right, if the NFL can force you to wear pink 5/16 weeks, why can’t a player wear a team color the rest of them?

• Will S | November 20, 2011 at 12:43 pm |

Iowa State and OkSt don’t make the 5/1 cut??

• Jim Vilk | November 20, 2011 at 7:32 pm |

ISU tweaked their number font this year. Not a dealbreaker, but it miffs me slightly since they messed with near perfection. I’m still getting used to OSU’s unis, but yeah, it was a nice matchup.

• DCA | November 20, 2011 at 12:45 pm |

I was expecting Alabama and Georgia Southern to make the Top 5.

• Queens Mets Fan | November 20, 2011 at 12:51 pm |

That Steve Dodell guy has invaded over here now? He keeps linking horrible photoshops to comments in Metspolice.com’s comment sections. I really which no one would validate him. Now he is going to do the same over here. Just wait till he comments to his his own comments. Worst part about it is that he thinks his work is good. Horrible.

• Terence M.K. | November 20, 2011 at 1:05 pm |

That guy IS a Troll…

• Steve D | November 21, 2011 at 1:33 am |

@TMK

Actually by definition, YOU are the troll.

• Steve D | November 21, 2011 at 1:32 am |

Yes…it is my master plan to invade blogs with horrible uniform designs. What is your’s? To insult amateur fan’s who contribute to blogs? If I was so detrimental, wouldn’t I have been banned by now? Instead the great head of Mets Police has been nothing but kind to me…and I think Paul will take care of me if I polluted this blog.

• andrew | November 21, 2011 at 12:31 pm |

you’re use of apostrophe’s is atrocious’.

• Steve D | November 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm |

You’re correct…two bad mistakes…that’s a lot.

(Note correct apostrophes and correct use of a lot as two words)

• Sam D. | November 20, 2011 at 12:54 pm |

Hey, I have a random question that I don’t think has been answered yet: Will the Mets’ black caps also have the 50th Anniversary patch on the back?

• Terence M.K. | November 20, 2011 at 1:04 pm |

Black Alt to have only 50th sleeve patch on right sleeve, not cap patch. They’re running through existing inventory since they’ll be eliminated next season…

• Paul Lukas | November 20, 2011 at 1:10 pm |

Ah, thanks for clearing that up, Terence. I wasn’t sure myself!

• Phil Hecken | November 20, 2011 at 1:14 pm |

aw…chipmunk

• Terence M.K. | November 20, 2011 at 1:18 pm |

You’re the best, Mr. Snuggles!

• Phil Hecken | November 20, 2011 at 1:08 pm |

getting mia/buf and dal/was

miami wearing white/white/white (at home), which is fine and not a bad look…

but the ‘skins are wearing maroon/maroon/white (possibly their worst look) AT HOME, allowing the ‘pokes to wear their favored white tops

skins really should have gone maroon/white/maroon (or gold) and forced the boys to wear royalish/navy

• Kyle Allebach | November 20, 2011 at 1:21 pm |

+1. One of the reasons the ‘Skins wore white was to make the Cowboys wear their blues. Even if Shanahanigan likes color at home, wear white against the ‘Boys (whose pants are looking especially bluish today).

Also, Dez Bryant had really, really thin stripes of white on his socks. Was he wearing blue socks on the bottom, covering up his white socks or was he wearing white bands?

• Tim E. O'B | November 20, 2011 at 1:43 pm |

Probably white bands. Seen a few players wearing bands on their socks today including a Lion DB with black bands.

• Kyle Allebach | November 20, 2011 at 3:53 pm |

They’re blue socks. I watched the white band get wider from the first half. You can also see the overlay from the blue part to the white. Why wouldn’t you just wear full-on blue then?

Also, Sean Lee of the Cowboys has a massive club of a hand.

• scott | November 20, 2011 at 5:00 pm |

The Skins have to remember that the Cowboys don’t like to play in the blue uniforms. Why does Shanahan disrespect history?

• BDanner | November 20, 2011 at 1:50 pm |

Yuck. Why will the ‘Skins not stick with the yellow pants?

• Davey301 | November 20, 2011 at 1:22 pm |

Mets’ stupid looking black alt looked like those cheesy designer jerseys you saw for sale at Foot Locker in the late 90’s. Good riddance. And I’m a Nats fan.

• Kyle Allebach | November 20, 2011 at 1:26 pm |

The NFL’s fining policy is so ass-backwards. They don’t fine those two childish coaches but they may fine Sexy Rexy up to $100,000 for cursing at a fan. The hell, Goodell?

• Rob S | November 20, 2011 at 11:31 pm |

Apparently coaches can act like assholes to each other all they want, as long as they don’t act like one toward the fans.

• LarryB | November 20, 2011 at 1:29 pm |

I went to see the not very good this year Buckeyes and Penn State game Saturday.

So I was not around to watch any games until the end of USC Oregon and Cal Stanford.

So it is good to check today’s column. Which I have said is my favorite of the week.

JimV No Ohio State Penn State in the 5&1???

So New Mexico went with white helmets again. I wonder what Bob Davie will do next year with the Lobos unis. Sheesh Wyoming looked bad.

• BDanner | November 20, 2011 at 1:39 pm |

Word has it that one of the teams to get a Nike makeover next year is the Panthers. I hope they do something with the white over white look, but the black over silver is a good looking uniform, if they’ll fix the helmet and pant stripe. And keep the silver lid! I’m having nightmares about mono black with a black lid…(complete with the unitard look).

• Tim E. O'B | November 20, 2011 at 1:40 pm |

Man, the ‘Boys pants look particularly teal today. Must be the overcast…

• Clint | November 20, 2011 at 1:50 pm |

In regards to the Auburn-Samford game, the Samford logo is there. The extra AU logo was there because it was a pay-per-view game, therefore the Auburn Network carried the game.

• Davey301 | November 20, 2011 at 1:52 pm |

New Marlins uni looks the same. You play in Southern Florida for goodness sake, what’s with all the black? Doesn’t make you look badass, makes you look like you’re burning up under there. Black trim is enough to make the other colors stand out – if you even want to use black at all.

• Tim E. O'B | November 20, 2011 at 2:03 pm |

The black and teal were the original colors of the Marlins’ color scheme. http://www.sportslog...

Instead of keeping the teal they brought the black to the new identity. Personally, I don’t have a problem with that, I think wearing an orange cap EVERY game would get a bit tiresome.

• Kyle Allebach | November 20, 2011 at 2:17 pm |

I kinda agree with Davey up there; the black locks off for a Miami team. I don’t really think of black when I think Miami. Oh well. Also, the black in the center of the M logo makes it look weird, while the M with white in the center looks much better, IMO.

Also, they have yellow in the logo, but yellow is pretty absent from the uniform in general. What gives?

• Davey301 | November 20, 2011 at 2:03 pm |

I think the Panthers should switch from silver to gray. No team has gray except for the Giants’ pants. Silver and teal together like that looks cheesy imo. A black/gray/Carolina blue would look much better.

• BDanner | November 20, 2011 at 2:10 pm |

Panthers don’t wear teal…

• Davey301 | November 20, 2011 at 2:19 pm |

Yeah, ok. I didn’t feel like typing out “Panther Blue”, but my points still stand. They should switch to Carolina blue.

• John in Athens | November 20, 2011 at 3:42 pm |

I didn’t realize how much I didn’t like the new Blue Jays logo until I saw it critiqued and revised on the What Their Bitch Is blog:

Regardless, the Jays will still look 100% better in 2012 than they did in 2011.

• Winter | November 20, 2011 at 4:29 pm |

I actually find their revised logo a bit…antiseptic?

Just too rounded for me.

• Paul Lee | November 21, 2011 at 4:51 pm |

Here’s my interpretation of what Rob’s idea of a perfect Blue Jays logo would look like:

• frankson jepperson | November 20, 2011 at 5:07 pm |

I find his revised version infinitely worse than the thing he’s critiquing. No sense of history in it, feels like something you’d slap on a product. And the bird looks fat and stupid.

• The Jeff | November 20, 2011 at 5:42 pm |

His version is far too… geometric. It’s a bird, not a mathematical construct. All of the angles and curves don’t need to be perfect.

• Andy | November 20, 2011 at 6:22 pm |

The curves need to be perfect, but they need not be based on true circles or anything like that. There are many fundamental things wrong with the Jay’s logo, but this revision is not the answer, either.

• Andy | November 20, 2011 at 6:23 pm |

*Jays’ logo*

• The Jeff | November 20, 2011 at 5:29 pm |

Talk about pointless obsessive nitpicking…

Of that entire list of “problems”, I agree on one point.

• Rob S | November 20, 2011 at 11:41 pm |

I also only agree on one point, and it’s one that Paul mentioned – the leaf’s stem should’ve connected to the ball outline.

This guy’s “fixes” basically come off as a reverse evolution, except for that font – for the Blue Jays, that font looks like shit.

• Paul Lee | November 21, 2011 at 4:47 pm |

I have a critique of my own…

• cam | November 20, 2011 at 3:42 pm |

As a few others mentioned correctly, that Auburn note is wrong.

• Simply Moono | November 20, 2011 at 7:51 pm |

Now I see it. I hate when I fuck things up that simple…

• BDanner | November 20, 2011 at 4:04 pm |

I’m no Bengal fan, but that is a Touchdown.

• Scott | November 20, 2011 at 5:38 pm |

VT should NEVER be in the top 5 due to their colors.

• Andy | November 20, 2011 at 6:24 pm |

I know. Those colors are too good for the top five.

• Jim Vilk | November 20, 2011 at 7:36 pm |

I love the colors. They’re rare in the sporting world, and they especially work for an autumn sport like football.

Now if you said “solely because of their colors,” I’d agree. Either last year or the year before, they made the &1 against Miami, because I didn’t like the style of unis they had then. This year they look classic and original all at the same time.

• Oakville Endive | November 20, 2011 at 8:13 pm |

One thing that stands out on the retro uni Virginia Tech uni wore this past Thursday, is the lack of an outline colour on their numbers. It gives the uni truly a retro look but in great, unusual colours.

The best orange/black and white uni in football, has to the BC Lions, the CFL is a bit of a disaster when it comes to uniforms, but that as good as orange/black and white gets in my opinion.

• Phil Hecken | November 20, 2011 at 8:18 pm |

bc is second best

here is the best

now, if you’re talking pros…then ok

• Oakville Endive | November 20, 2011 at 8:36 pm |

Yep, nice uni, I like this look even better

It’s a look the Bengals should adopt. I have an ignorant question, but what is the significance of that helmet design as several different universities seems to have it.

• The Jeff | November 20, 2011 at 8:40 pm |

The helmet design mimics one of the old leather helmet patterns. That’s pretty much it.

• Phil Hecken | November 20, 2011 at 8:51 pm |

yes, THE, that’s all there is to it

here…first read this and then any of the links on fritz crisler & winged helmet

• Scott | November 20, 2011 at 9:07 pm |

The colors ae rare becuse they are soooo ugly together.

• Scott | November 20, 2011 at 9:04 pm |

Wow, the colors DO NOT compliment each other. You could spin the color wheel and you are unlikely to get a worse combination

• Jim Vilk | November 20, 2011 at 9:29 pm |

Phil might disagree with you…just bring up Wyoming’s brown, yellow and white with him…

• Jim Vilk | November 20, 2011 at 7:44 pm |

Heard from several people wondering why I didn’t at least give Ga. Southern/Alabama an honorable mention. Same reason I left PSU/OSU out of the Top 5: while Ga. Southern and Penn State have A+ home unis, their road unis are a little too plain for me. Just a simple pant stripe or something, and then we’re talking. Maybe purple pants for Ga. Southern?

Now Texas…that’s an all-white uni I love…maybe even better than their homes.

Thanks for all the feedback, though!

• Phil Hecken | November 20, 2011 at 8:09 pm |

how is the PSU uni any different than UT? ok, they got the steer decal on the helmet and little tiny burnt orange stripes on the sleeves, but they’re basically identical

texas doesn’t have a pant stripe (which you seem to want for PSU)…if that’s an all white uni you can love (and i know i do), how is it really any different from psu? psu makes up for the lack of decal with a blue facemask and helmet stripe…so that is a wash

OHHHHHHHHHHH…i know…you like texas’ orange, but you don’t love the nits blue

• Jim Vilk | November 20, 2011 at 8:43 pm |

I love the blue, too.

But for starters, your PSU template is outdated…the only blue on the jerseys are the numbers and the swoosh. I miss the trim.

Texas has those sleeve stripes, and they have the steer head on the pants.

Maybe it’s just one of those inconsistent Vilk oddities, but the Texas whites were always my favorite stormtrooper-ish unis.

• Phil Hecken | November 20, 2011 at 8:53 pm |

“I miss the trim.”

~~~

i bet you do

• Jim Vilk | November 20, 2011 at 8:56 pm |

Plus, on a sunny day, this is the proper PSU template:

• LarryB | November 20, 2011 at 8:57 pm |

Phil likes to tease JimV as I do.

I asked about Ohio State and Penn State. I knew only one team had a sharp looking uniform.

Phil asks about Texas and Penn State. I say some schools are so plain I think they are ugly. But Texas unis do not bother me as much. Maybe I always liked the Longhorn decal on the helmet. And like Jim said Texas does dress it up a tad with sleeve stripes.

• Jim Vilk | November 20, 2011 at 8:57 pm |

OK, there’s a helmet stripe and black shoes, too…

• The Jeff | November 20, 2011 at 10:53 pm |

Helmet stripe is good. Black shoes are silly.

• Kevin | November 20, 2011 at 8:38 pm |

I’m very much a traditionalist when it comes to my alma mater. I don’t think Arizona should wear anything other than white/white/navy or white/white/cardinal on the road, and white/navy/white or white/cardinal/white at home. However, when I heard that ASU was going to wear their all-blacks and wanted a blackout from their fans, the first thought that came to mind was “We have to wear all-white.” Admittedly, the last three times we’ve worn all-white we lost, including that drubbing in the 2009 Holiday Bowl, but last night was an exception to my rule. Hell, we already see the Territorial Cup as the ultimate battle between good and evil. What better way to reinforce that by wearing our clean white uniforms against those ugly-ass black Nike marketing schtick monstrosities?

Also, I’d like to take this opportunity to do a little bit of directed rivalry trash talk. BEAR DOWN! The Cup is coming home to Tucson! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• LarryB | November 20, 2011 at 9:01 pm |

Speaking of Arizona. On the Big Ten pregame show they had a commercial about ringing the Arizona bell. They show a quick clip of color on color old time. Arizona vs Colorado???

Just barely a second long.

• Kevin | November 20, 2011 at 9:52 pm |

It certainly looks like Colorado’s 1930s uniforms, but it’s difficult to tell.

• Simply Moono | November 20, 2011 at 9:31 pm |

I could be seeing things, but it looks like Mathias Kiwanuka (#94 of the NY Football Giants) isn’t wearing the bodysuit jersey. It’s hard to tell, though.

• Wheels | November 20, 2011 at 9:57 pm |

The Giants should change the blue of their helmets back to navy blue.

• The Jeff | November 20, 2011 at 10:05 pm |

Why?

• Wheels | November 20, 2011 at 10:24 pm |

I think it would complete the intended feel of the Giants’ classic look. The old “NY” helmets prior to the mid 1970’s change to “GIANTS” script were navy. I also just like the look of certain classic uniforms with a darker version of team color for the helmet, for example the Minnesota Vikings throwbacks http://www2.pictures.... Finally, The current Giants helmet color in daylight does not match the blue of the jersey.

• The Jeff | November 20, 2011 at 10:32 pm |

Well, I’ll give you the point on being a more accurate throwback.

I have to say though that the mismatched helmets on the Vikings or the Rams & Giants always bothered me. I know it’s hard to get a perfect color match, but the navy/royal is just too far off for my tastes.

• Wheels | November 20, 2011 at 10:38 pm |

Fair enough.

• Wheels | November 20, 2011 at 11:06 pm |

I think you’re right about Kiwanuka’s jersey. It’s definitely different than the bodysuit cut.

• Jim Vilk | November 20, 2011 at 9:59 pm |

Watching the MLS Cup on ESPN3…which is a bit of a pain, at least with my computer. I miss when ABC used to carry this game on Sunday afternoons.

It’s worth watching, though, since Ian Darke is calling the action. I could listen to him read the ingredients on a cereal box and be enthralled.

Oh yeah…unis: LA in all white and Houston in orange over white with orange socks. I think you know who I’m rooting for…

• Jim Vilk | November 20, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
    • Jim Vilk | November 20, 2011 at 11:46 pm |

Congrats to LA…they earned their one-nil victory.

Meanwhile, the better looking team was involved in some cross-sports dressing:
      Houston forward Calen Carr was wearing rugby headgear.

• Chuck Beech | November 20, 2011 at 10:59 pm |

Can’t ALA and GA So. get an honorable mention?

• Jim Vilk | November 20, 2011 at 11:04 pm |

Scroll up a tad…

• John in Athens | November 21, 2011 at 7:36 am |

ALA and WHO?!

• =bg= | November 20, 2011 at 11:47 pm |

Niners 9-1.
    All we need is all white shoes.

The way they were with Walsh.

• Wheels | November 20, 2011 at 11:56 pm |

How about some stripes on those socks?

• The Jeff | November 21, 2011 at 12:38 am |

Stripes on the socks would be good. Realizing that it isn’t 1981 anymore and using a red facemask would be even better.

• Simply Moono | November 21, 2011 at 2:37 am |

Add sock stripes. Keep the black cleats.

• trey | November 21, 2011 at 5:14 pm |

Two pieces of info here out of Mississippi State:

1. The south end zone will has been hashtagged with “#hailstate,” (http://pic.twitter.c...) no word on the north end zone. I admit its odd, but it’s hard to imagine a school where more information is disseminated via Twitter more constantly or disastrously.
    (http://content.usato...)

2. We’ve seen these mocked up before, but here is the uniform State will be wearing in the Egg Bowl on Saturday (The game is officially called “The Battle for the Golden Egg”). http://twitpic.com/7...