There's No Service Like Wire Service, Vol. 36

Screen shot 2009-12-29 at 10.06.03 AM.png

[Phil here — Paul’s still on vacation, but work, life and grad school all conspired against me yesterday, so I wasn’t able to come up with a lede for today. Paul was gracious enough to let me “steal” this while he’s away. I will be back with fresh, new content tomorrow. Enjoy!]

Lots of good stuff this time around, courtesy of Mako Mameli, Bruce Menard, Jerry Wolper, Mike Hersh, and Greg Trandel. Without further ado:

• If you can manage not to be distracted by Dick Vitale’s rather loud trousers, you can see that he ordered some very cool T-shirts for his U. of Detroit players.

• I didn’t know Arizona ever wore uni numbers on the front of their helmets. That’s Jon Horton, who played for Arizona from 1983 through ’86. The uni numbers aren’t shown on the Helmet Project’s Pac 12 page. Anyone know more about this?

• Never seen this particular variation on the Giants’ NY script before. That’s Emlen Tunnell, who coached for Big Blue in the 1970s.

• Good to see that Henry Winkler and Ron Howard both knew how to blouse their pant cuffs. But man, even in a celebrity softball game, the Fonz had to be Mr. Too Cool by untucking his jersey. (And in a non-wire follow-up, Brad Kepler shows us how it looked in color.

• Check out Bob Feller in a Motorolla promotional uniform.

• Here’s a bunch of shots from the unveiling of the Colts’ 1982 uni set Note that the uni number on the hip was white — not blue, as they eventually wore on the field.

• I think we’ve seen this before, but just in case: This has gotta be history’s biggest helmet nickNOB.

• Can never have too many shots of Doc Ellis in curlers.

• Ditto for shots of the Giants’ 1906 “World’s Champions” jerseys.

• What are these? They’re the cushioned cork centers that go inside baseballs. That shot is part of a bunch of baseball sweatshop factory photos.

• Man, does this cap logo look like it was drawn by a third grader or what? Sort of charmingly amateurish. The team was from Indianapolis.

• This is a nice photo, but the full impact becomes clearer when you read the caption.

• Dressed to Nines’ listing of MLB commemorative patches includes this: “1964, Baltimore (AL), 150th anniversary of The Star Spangled Banner.” I’d never seen that patch before, until now. (Special thanks to Todd Radom for the color version of the design.)

~~~~~~~~~~

Collector's Corner 2Collector’s Corner

By Brinke Guthrie

Even though I am a SF Giants fan, I find the Red Sox’s shabby treatment of Terry Francona appalling. Two WS titles, a winning percentage off the charts, and those Red Sox management knuckleheads pin it on this guy? So, in the spirit of the Red Sox epic collapse, we lead Collector’s Corner off this week with an autographed photo of Bill Buckner and Mookie Wilson, and dedicate it to John Henry.

Let’s add insult to injury for Sox fans, with this 1960s Yankees satin jacket.

Not sure what to make of this 1980s LA Rams Sand Knit jersey. I see the logo on the hemline, but the sleeves are a bit dodgy, no?

Nice vintage 1970s NFL pencil set!

Never seen these! NFL sticker set from the 1970s, from Chase & Sanborn coffee.

Your Sears Schwinn bike would look just like Bucco Bruce with this creamsicle-colored banana bike seat.

I’ve never been a fan of the current Reebok NFL stuff. Too expensive, too weird, and hard to find, too. I much preferred the 90s NFL Pro Line stuff, like this swell Cowboys pullover (had it) from Starter, or this Reebok Pro Line Dolphins shell.

Let’s head back to the 60s, shall we? Keep your dates straight- at least for 1969-70, with this vintage NFL appointment book.

Here’s a program for the 1969 “Eighth Annual New Jersey Jaycee Classic” between the Eagles and Giants. Note the curious NY font treatment.

Two more from 1969- this NFL Player Official Autograph Book, with Roman Gabriel on the cover, wearing the biggest sleeve numbers ever sewn on a jersey…and the Minnesota Vikings sing your favorite Christmas holiday hits.

~~~~~~~~~~

2010-playoffs-alex rockleinTracking The 2011 MLB Playoffs

Last year, Alex Rocklein showed off a really neat playoff tracker, in which he tracked playoff teams wins & losses, not only by their wins and losses, but also by uniform!

He’s back again this year.

Yesterday, the National Leaguers took a rest, but, in an affront to the uni-gods, the Rangers wore softball tops, taking the game and a 2-1 series lead over the properly-attired Raays. Meanwhile, in Mo-Town, the Yankees and Tigers, who, not coincidentally have no softball tops, looked great. Detroit looked, and played, ever-so-slightly better, and wants to party like it’s 2006, taking a 2-1 lead over the Bombers.

Here is your updated 2011 MLB Playoff tracker.

~~~~~~~~~~

Benchies HeaderBenchies

by Rick Pearson

~~~

Tis never too late to zing a batting champ…

10-5-11 mariano RED

And of course, the full-size.

~~~~~~~~~~

Uni Watch News Ticker: (Compiled by Johnny Ek) … An Octoberfest-inspired hockey jersey? (Joel V.) … From Mike Edgerley: “I can’t resist sending you this green and gold stripe and sock fest from FC Tampa bay!” … WaPo’s Sports Bog highlighted Brian Orakpo’s pink mouthguard (Jason Mott). … “I think the logo on Laurent Robinson’s sock is that of McDavid who are a sports medicine, protective equipment, protective apparel company … It turns out the sweatshirt-underneath-jersey look isn’t such a hot one. (Neil Scott) … Frank Bitzer: “A friend of mine snapped this photo at yesterday’s Bengals-Bills game. I think the fellow is trying to tell us something.” … Turner Motorsports has partnered with Sporting Kansas City of Major League Soccer. (Benjamin Traxel) … Ouch: “I saw this on a bus today in Boston. Hard to see but it features Beckett alongside Ortiz.” (Logan Jakubajtys) … Jeffrey Sak: “On Saturday night when Doug Fister faced the Yankees I noticed the name on his glove didn’t quite match.” … This photo has surfaced along with rumors that Georgia Tech will break out a new helmet for their Thursday night game with Virginia Tech later this season. (Britton Thomas) … Indianapolis took the “Think Pink” campaign up a notch and dyed the downtown canal pink early Friday morning for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. (Nile Smith) … The NFL has officially approved the Broncos’ request to change its full-time home jersey from dark blue to burnt-orange. (Kevin Clark) … Oregon has unveiled a super-fantastic “retro” uniform. (Jim Weber) … Forrest J. Bowlick: “It’s Homecoming Week here at the University of Idaho, and our Library has put up a nice gallery of Program Covers online.” … The University of New Mexico wore all silver uniforms for the first time in history. (Frank Mercogliano) … San Diego added pink to their wordmark in the endzone Sunday. (Ben Harris) … In yesterday’s post, Phil mentioned he’d seen a pink whistle but couldn’t find a photo. MJ Kurs-Lasky to the rescue: “I came across a picture from the Browns/Titans match.” … Michael Craig thinks he can top our American football for “pinking” out: “If you think american football takes breast cancer awareness too far, wait til you see how far we take it in australia. Here you have the Penrith Panthers of the NRL, the most watched sporting competition in Australia.”… Derek Bocek noticed not one, not 2, but THREE different shades of pink STRIPES on these socks! Says Derek, “Thats 4th year Bucs saftey Corey Lynch out of Appalachian State” … If you didn’t already know Hank Williams, Jr. was a racist prick redneck, now you do.

~~~~~~~~~~

“Apparently there are adults in positions of responsibility out there who believe that 12-year-old boys suffer from a lack of breast awareness.” — R. Scott Rogers

224 comments to There’s No Service Like Wire Service, Vol. 36

• Kyle Allebach @ School | October 4, 2011 at 8:08 am |

I love the comment of the day.

Also, seeing the Chargers with a pink stripe as opposed to yellow really pisses me off. Now you’re changing the color of a team for breast cancer.

Although on the plus side, it reminds me of cotton candy.

• Rob S | October 4, 2011 at 8:30 am |

Hey, Brinke, just what do you mean by “dodgy” on those Rams sleeves?

• pushbutton | October 4, 2011 at 8:35 am |

Much thanks to DW and Matthew Radican for helping me with a personal “white whale”; the question of why the Houston Oilers and Miami Dolphins were wearing black stripes down the middle of their helmets in two separate Monday night games in 1972.

Combining both of your comments, I think it was a Monday night-only gesture and was intended to memorialize the Israeli olympic athletes who were killed in Munich. The announcers made no mention of it, but grieving gestures were deliberately underplayed then, and not the organized, mandated affair they are now.

Again, thank you. It made my day to share such an obscure, low-grade obsession with someone:)

• -DW | October 4, 2011 at 4:36 pm |

Glad I could help out.

Funny thing is, that I was reading an article on Sunday about the Real IRA, which led me to Black September and the 1972 Olympics massacre. And first it thing I thought of after reading your post about the games being played in September 1972.

• jdreyfuss | October 4, 2011 at 8:35 am |

How exactly is that burnt orange? Burnt orange is about halfway between orange and brown. The Broncos are wearing blaze orange.

This is burnt orange.
    This is blaze orange.

Which one is closer? And the Broncos aren’t the only ones that do that. My Brownies claim their shade is also burnt orange. Is it unmanly to call your color orange or something?

• The Jeff | October 4, 2011 at 8:51 am |

Yeah, that ain’t burnt orange… and unlike another color we routinely argue about, there’s no “but, tradition” argument about it. The Longhorns wear burnt orange, the Denver Broncos do not.

• Kyle Allebach | October 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm |

Isn’t their tradition “Orange Crush” Orange?

• walter | October 4, 2011 at 8:58 am |

A lot of people say “burnt orange” when they mean “default orange”. It’s almost like a verbal tic.

• Bouj | October 4, 2011 at 8:59 am |

Rawlings also has called that brighter shade of orange “burnt orange”. As you said, it’s not. The University of Texas wears burnt orange.

• Ricko | October 4, 2011 at 10:20 am |

Might as well mention it again to keep the record straight. That’s how the Broncos ended up with the color they wear.

Jack Faulkner wanted the Broncos to go to Texas Orange in ’62 and ordered “Burnt Orange”, thinking that’s what he’d get. That’s why it is commonly—and wrongly–stated that the first Bronco orange was Tennessee Orange…because it is RIGHTLY noted that the unis were “lighter/brighter” than Faulkner expected.

• Terry Proctor | October 4, 2011 at 10:57 am |

The Orange that Faulkner got in ’62 was actually what Liebes, who’ve made fabric for Rawlings throughout the years, calls “Dark Orange,” it being the standard shade for athletic uniforms as worn by schools like Florida, Syracuse, Illinois and Clemson. Your “Burnt Orange” as worn by Texas is always called “Texas Orange” in the trade for clarity’s sake. Tennessee Orange is the brightest shade used and almost appears to be a shade of Gold or Yellow. T.O. was NOT the shade the Ponies got in ’62! No way, no how!

• JimWa | October 4, 2011 at 9:09 am |

Looks like gold to me.

• R.S. Rogers | October 4, 2011 at 9:26 am |

I’m calling it Broncos Gold.

After all, the two requirements to call a hue “gold” are, (1) It must contain some amount of yellow; and (2) It must not in any way resemble the appearance of the metal gold. (Ricko, I’m kidding! Mostly.)

• Ben Fortney | October 4, 2011 at 11:48 am |

I’m calling it Broncos Gold.

• Pierre | October 4, 2011 at 11:15 am |

Looks bronze…no, wait, that’s the ’67 Saints.

No, wait, wait…that’s just a Sports Illustrated cover that got it wrong.

Wait…did Under Armour make the uniforms?

• Coleman (on his phone) | October 4, 2011 at 8:39 am |

“I’m still calling it the Louisiana SuperDome. ”

Not sure if you all have heard yet, but naming rights have been sold and announcement will be made for the Mercedes Benz Superdome today. At least its still the Superdome.

• teenchy | October 4, 2011 at 9:27 am |

News to me. Wonder if it’ll get a big rotating sponsor logo on top like the Stuttgart Hbf. Might make for some interesting spectacle.

• JimWa | October 4, 2011 at 9:49 am |

I think they should go green and promote MB at the same time. Put up wind turbines.

• Shane | October 4, 2011 at 10:22 am |

Meh, I say if you’re MB, go all out.

Mercedes-Benz Superkuppel.

• snowdan | October 4, 2011 at 1:13 pm |

nice!

• Christopher F. | October 4, 2011 at 2:48 pm |

Or Mercedes-Benz Hervorragende Kuppel

• Connie | October 4, 2011 at 8:39 am |

“…Can never have too many shots of Doc Ellis in curlers…
    Ditto for shots of the Giants’ 1906 ‘World’s Champions’ jerseys… ”

These are truths.

Also agree with Jim Weber on the coolness o the Oregon retros. And a good day or the Benchies.

• Connie | October 4, 2011 at 8:47 am |

Sorry to omit the two Fs. Oh, yeah, and it’s Dock Ellis, no?

• Ben | October 4, 2011 at 8:48 am |

so not liking obama makes one a racist prick?

• Mark K | October 4, 2011 at 9:01 am |

Regardless- can we get Faith Hill to come out and agree with him or something? That stupid song needs to go too.

• Ben | October 4, 2011 at 9:17 am |

I think we can all agree that Faith Hill has to go.

The local ACC games always get some really crappy band to promote all season and it ruins the games. This year is Jason Aldean, which wouldn’t have been so bad, but his new album sucks so we get to put up with it all season long.

Is Obama Hitler? No. But, I don’t recall all those folks calling Bush Hitler being labelled racist.

Is Obama a good president? Personal decision for each of us.

• Michael M | October 4, 2011 at 10:06 am |

Not sure why anyone thinks we need a band or a singer to introduce us to a football broadcast. Personally, I’m not a fan of Hank or Faith but I like Big and Rich and Jason Aldean, but when it’s time for football, the less intro the better.

I agree with those who say the MNF intro music is iconic. They don’t need anything else.

• The Jeff | October 4, 2011 at 10:22 am |

Is Michael Buffer still around?

LLLLLLETS GET READY FOR FOOTBAAAALL

…and then start the game.

• R.S. Rogers | October 4, 2011 at 11:05 am |

I agree with this general sentiment. Personally, I do like Hank Junior’s music. But when I want to listen to Hank Junior, I can either fire up my iPod or tune into Sirius/XM’s Outlaw Country. When I want to watch a football game, I’m not looking for a Hank Junior concert, or any kind of concert. I’m looking for a football game. Skip the concert intro and show me the game!

It’s reached the point where it’s like, “Are you ready for some football? Yes? Screw you! You’ll get your football when we say you’re ready!”

• DRR | October 4, 2011 at 9:03 am |

No, but implying that he feels the same way about Republicans that Hitler felt about the Jews might. I am not sure about the racist part, but certainly the pick part.

To be fair, though, I wasn’t clear in HWJ’s comment which one of the two was supposed to be Hitler.

• walter | October 4, 2011 at 9:04 am |

Fuck him and everyone who looks like him. He ruined Monday Night Football.

• Rob S | October 4, 2011 at 9:14 am |

I never cared for his openings anyway. Especially when they’d do a close-up of his wide-open piehole and we’d get to see the spit strings connecting his upper and lower lips… UGH!

Seriously, the original MNF theme is epic enough.

• -DW | October 4, 2011 at 11:25 pm |

I, too, agree with this statement.

• Bryan | October 4, 2011 at 9:11 am |

@Ben: I agree with you. It’s disgusting that just about every time you disagree with Obama or criticize him you’re called a racist. Look at some of the comments he’s made in his book or who he’s associated with and we’ll see who’s the real racist.

• JimWa | October 4, 2011 at 9:16 am |

Not claiming that Williams ISN’T a racist here, but I don’t get the connection of his comments to racism.

If anything, trying to suggest that Obama is such a horrible person by metaphorically comparing him to Hitler – well, that seems to suggest that he thinks Hitler was a really bad guy, right? A real racist would connect someone they considered a hero to Hitler, not somebody they hate.

I’m not defending Williams or his statement, but calling him a racist would be like saying that because my TV is on, there must be grapes in my fridge. It makes no sense.

• Ry Co 40 | October 4, 2011 at 9:34 am |

not sure a racist would even acknowledge cain (if anyone out there actually listened to the interview, rather than cry when the heard/read about the usage of the “H” word)… but whatever

• Chris Holder | October 4, 2011 at 9:19 am |

I don’t like Obama, but it’s just a ridiculous analogy. Hitler should never be evoked to compare anyone to anything. It just ain’t cool.

I just hate he had to be wearing a Bama cap. Damn him.

• The Jeff | October 4, 2011 at 9:35 am |

Yeah… I’m not sure if this Racist + Stupid or Republican + Stupid. Did he make the comparison because Obama is black or because he’s a democrat?

The comparison to Hitler is rather dumb, but one should be allowed to say that “I don’t like the President” without it automatically making him racist.

• R.S. Rogers | October 4, 2011 at 9:58 am |

The, have you ever in your life previously heard anyone ever express the belief that black people are inherently Hitler-like? The connection between “comparing Obama to Hitler” and “Obama is black” has literally zero basis in anything even remotely resembling reality. Whereas the authoritarian right in our country has habitually used rhetoric of comparing their (white) political opponents to Lenin, Stalin, and Hitler since the 1920s. The right has been comparing Democrats to murderous foreign tyrants for longer than The Star-Spangled Banner has been our national anthem.

Anyone old enough to remember the Clinton administration, when the same loud minority of idiots were accusing the last Democratic president of literal murder and treason should recognize that Hank’s comments have nothing to do with the president’s skin color and everything to do with rooting for and against various political “teams.”

Interesting thought experiment: Imagine a black Republican president (say, Herman Cain or J.C. Watts) who cut taxes three times and for more people than any president in history; who passed into law longstanding conservative proposals to overhaul welfare and cut Medicare spending; who froze federal spending and bureaucrat salaries; who ruthlessly used commandos to kill American enemies from hostage-taking pirates to terrorists to citizen-traitors; who expanded federal recognition of gun rights more than any modern president; and who set a record for most federal regulations repealed by executive order. Can anyone imagine that Hank Junior would have compared that president to Hitler just because he was black? Of course not. But that is in fact Obama’s (very conservative) record. So it’s not Obama’s race, and it’s not even his actions in office, that motivate the heated rhetoric directed against him. It’s what team he plays for.

And since passionately identifying people as heroes or villains based entirely on what team they play for, not what they accomplish or how they do it, is what the NFL is all about, Hank’s similarly mindless team-rooting-based comment about Obama should not have led to his axing from NFL broadcasts.

• Michael M | October 4, 2011 at 10:03 am |

Interesting take, and I enjoyed reading it.

Meanwhile, I think the “our team” rhetoric in this country comes from both sides, and has been the downfall of our country. In the past, America was so strong that our infighting didn’t threaten our status as a world leader. But the world has changed. We continue to bicker back and forth, left vs. right, while our enemies around the world, who are now stronger and in a better position to overtake us economically, laugh.

Sad state of affairs.

• Bernard | October 4, 2011 at 10:20 am |

Man, VERY well put, RS.

• Ricko | October 4, 2011 at 10:31 am |

US vs. THEM (also read: Red ties vs. Blue ties, so to speak) has pretty much paralyzed the country these days.

The first item on the job description of any elected official is to govern, not to unflinchingly push his or her party’s agenda.

Compromise is not evil. It is essential to a republic.

• Lloyd Davis | October 4, 2011 at 10:30 am |

Maybe just Stupid?

I may be giving Hank Three too much credit for forethought aforethought here, but here goes: the analogy could have been intended to compare the breadth of the actual ideological gap between President Obama and House Leader Boehner with the hypothetical one between Hitler and the prime minister of Israel. I don’t think the president’s race is being referenced, nor do I think he is being compared to Hitler.

But any mention of Hitler will immediately distract and detract from the point one is trying to make, which is why it’s generally accepted to be a bad idea to invoke his name.

The same point could’ve been illustrated with a different cast of characters — say, by comparing Obama and Boehner to GW Bush and Kim Jong-Il, or Kennedy and Castro. Or, to keep it in the sporting realm, maybe Rex Ryan and Bill Belichick.

Stupider still are the Fox & Friends crew. First, they failed to pounce on the fumble, choosing instead to mildly challenge Williams, who is either dumb as a post or was half in the bag, or perhaps both. The one who isn’t Gretchen Carlson or Steve Douchey muttered, “I don’t think I understand that analogy” rather than choosing to engage in a line of questioning that would demand that Williams explain himself or dig himself a deeper hole. Second, they quickly changed the subject and continued the interview. If you’re only going to disavow what the guy says, why give him more air time? But again, that would be to give this trio, and their producers too much credit for intelligence.

• MPowers1634 | October 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm |

Isn’t the Hank in question Hank II?
          Hank 3 is his rebel son…I think.

• walter | October 4, 2011 at 1:26 pm |

Remember, the odd-numbered Hanks are cool.

• Lloyd Davis1634 | October 4, 2011 at 10:45 pm |

@MPowers1634: My bad. I had built up such a head of steam that I lost count!

• Lloyd Davis | October 4, 2011 at 10:48 pm |

See what I mean? Dunno where that superfluous 1634 came from.

• Graf Zeppelin | October 4, 2011 at 11:41 am |

Bingo.

There really isn’t anything more to it than that. The problem is that when one is determined to hate someone before one even meets that person (so to speak), everything that happens thereafter becomes self-fulfilling, even if one has to substitute fictions and paranoid fantasies for objective reality. GOP fans were determined to hate Obama before they even knew who he was. Everything they, quote, “know” about him was filtered through the lens of that intense and insatiable desire to hate, and as a result has metastasized into a massive, fully-formed, entirely fictional universe in which they live, think, see, hear, read and understand only that which validates the pre-ordained hatred.

I pay enough attention to the right-wing media and blogosphere to know what they’re ordering their audience to think, what they require their audience to believe. And I pay enough attention to everything else in the world, and to my own knowledge, experience, observation, memory and understanding of history, the law, current events, and so forth, to know that it’s mostly fiction, paranoid fantasy, or utter nonsense.

Some of us, like Mr. Williams, are literally living in an alternate reality. And who knows; maybe the reality I see, perceive and understand is the fictitious one and the one the right-wing media seems to have manufactured is the real one. And there’s the rub; when we don’t know what to believe, we can be made to believe anything. We can believe something is true and know that it’s false, or vice-versa, at the same time, and do it consciously and unconsciously at the same time. It’s called cognitive dissonance; Orwell referred to it as “doublethink.” War is Peace, 2+2=5, and so forth.

I’m rambling, so I’ll stop.

• R.S. Rogers | October 4, 2011 at 9:36 am |

What Hank Junior said in no way marks him as either a racist or a redneck. It marks him as stupid, and probably un-American, in that the Republican speaker of the House doing business with the Democratic president is not Chamberlain selling out to Hitler, it’s our republic functioning as the Founders intended it, and if Hank doesn’t understand that, his values are not compatible with small-r republican self-government. But being a simpleminded authoritarian is not synonymous with being either a racist or a redneck. It doesn’t do anyone credit to throw around derogatory names indiscriminately like that.

• Ricko | October 4, 2011 at 9:59 am |

It seems the farther Hitler moves into the past, the easier it is to fling his name out there as a way of disparaging someone.

There were those who compared George W. to Hitler, too.

I suppose that’s because the generation that had first-hand experience with the Third Reich is, quite literally, dying off. And they certainly aren’t the group the media looks to for opinions.

For the age group that gets air time, Hitler’s name now is almost–almost—sliding into “He’s a little Napoleon” territory.

(Not making any comparison of the two other than how their names get bandied about).

• R.S. Rogers | October 4, 2011 at 11:11 am |

Every once in a while, I encounter a WWII vet, and I’m reminded that WWII vets today are older than WWI vets were when I was a boy in the 1970s, and that thought blows me away every time. Those WWI vets in the annual Veteran’s Day parade were like the oldest people I’d ever seen as a child, and today’s WWII vets make them look like spring chickens.

An interesting historical parallel: In his day, and up until maybe the 1860s, “Bonaparte” was just about the nastiest political insult you could hurl at anyone in the English-speaking world. Napoleon was truly the Hitler of his day. (And yes, American politicians, including Presidents Jackson, Polk, and Lincoln, were regularly compared to Bonaparte by their opponents.) By the time anyone who remembered the Napoleonic wars was dead, “Bonaparte” had become “Napoleon,” and the name had been stripped of basically all negative connotation.

• Tom V. | October 4, 2011 at 9:38 am |

If you read between the lines here you can easily see the political correctness and liberal twists on things. Paul and his colleagues have a great website but it’s continually clouded with political and liberal overtones, which it simply doesn’t need.

And you know what? It’s fine to report on the HWJ story, but does he need to be called a racist prick and a redneck by some folks from the northeast who don’t know HWJ for more than the monday night football theme?

• Pierre | October 4, 2011 at 11:21 am |

I’m from the deep South and I think Hank Williams Jr. is an arrogant piece of redneck trash. I’ve been around them all my life…they’re quite easy to spot.

• Tom V. | October 4, 2011 at 11:39 am |

Yeah you’re also the one who turned off football this weekend because you can’t stand breast cancer awareness. Some people need to get a grip.

• Pierre | October 4, 2011 at 11:51 am |

To be clear, it’s stupidity that I can’t stand…but go ahead and defend a hateful, ignorant redneck all you want…it’s a free country.

• Michael M | October 4, 2011 at 12:04 pm |

If you’re truly from the Deep South you should know the following:

-not all rednecks are stupid.
          -not all rednecks are racists.
          -not all non-rednecks are smart.
          -not all non-rednecks are non-racists.

It really hurts your argument when you say Hank is a stupid redneck. Why not just say he’s stupid?

• Pierre | October 4, 2011 at 12:12 pm |

Have you ever listened to Hank Williams Jr. speak?

Hank Williams Jr. is demonstrably an ignorant, hateful, arrogant redneck.

BTW, keep watching FOX because now that Hank is running for the U.S. Senate from Tennessee he is surely going to double down on the crazy hate talk. You betcha…

You don’t get it…Hank Williams Jr. is running for office as a teabagger candidate!

• Michael M | October 4, 2011 at 12:16 pm |

Pierre, it’s becoming clear to me. You need to move. When is your retirement from the university?

• Tom V. | October 4, 2011 at 12:24 pm |

@ Pierre, breast cancer awareness is stupid? Keep going…

• Pierre | October 4, 2011 at 12:50 pm |

I’m not going anywhere…and, yes, accessorizing professional athletes in ugly, garish pink (in a league with strict uniform code enforcement) for an entire month is stupid, particularly when there are other alternative methods of honoring breast cancer awareness.

You guys just don’t like an alternate point of view…maybe you watch FOX too much.

• MC | October 4, 2011 at 9:44 am |

Compare Obama to Hitler and you’re a racist redneck.

Compare Bush to Hitler and you’re and you’re a proud American sticking up for the reputation of the country.

Come on, people… we all know that Lukas is just some liberal hippie using this site as a thinly veiled liberal platform at any possible moment he can.

• Lloyd Davis | October 4, 2011 at 11:04 am |

I’m sorry, I’ve watched the clip a few times now, and I don’t see how Ol’ Hank was comparing the president to Hitler. Just because Gretchen Carlson says it doesn’t make it so.

On the other hand, Williams claims to support the values of the tea party movement. And there have been plenty of Obama-Hitler comparisons made by that group, as well as more — dare I say — “traditional” conservative commentators?

Rush Limbaugh made the comparison on his radio show in August 2009. The North Iowa Tea Partiers bought a billboard, simultaneously comparing the president to Hitler and Stalin.

I guess he negotiated a non-aggression pact with himself.

Tom Sullivan made the comparison on Fox News Radio during the 2008 primary season:

Then there’s this excerpt from John Avlon’s book “Wingnuts,” which details a history of the Hitler-Obama comparison. Avlon traces it to Sullivan, and notes that Charles Krauthammer soon made this allusion: “Standing in front of 200,000 Germans at a rally who are chanting your name — bad vibes sometimes, historically.”

When Senator Obama accepted the Democratic nomination, Ben Stein wrote, “Seventy-five-thousand people at an outdoor sports palace, well, that’s something the Führer would have done.”

For the record, I never had any truck with the Bush-Hitler comparisons; besides which, I don’t think they were lent the same institutional assent that conservatives have given to the Obama-Hitler smear.

• -DW | October 4, 2011 at 5:17 pm |

I am not a fan of Obama’s policies as I believe that we are not better off than we were four years ago.

That being said, comparing BHO to Hitler is not only uneducated, but naive.

I compare Hank Williams Jr. to Bruce Springsteen.

One sings about “country boys can survive” and the other sings about the “common man”.

Both while living in multi-million dollar homes and driving expensive cars.

• Lloyd Davis | October 4, 2011 at 11:01 pm |

So, what, is Springsteen supposed to limit himself to covering Joe Walsh’s “Life’s Been Good”?

• -DW | October 4, 2011 at 11:22 pm |

I am saying that it is hypocritical.

• Michael M | October 4, 2011 at 9:52 am |

Racist = a white person not voting for Obama simply because of his race.

Racist = a black person voting for Obama simply because of his race.

Which do you think happened more in the 2008 presidential election?

Not supporting Obama does not make anyone a racist. Williams said he supported Herman Cain for president. How does that go along with him being a racist? Just curious.

He made a bad, stupid analogy. That doesn’t make him anything other than not very smart, and I don’t know anyone who ever though he was a genius.

• Geeman | October 4, 2011 at 11:19 am |

Your second comment simply does not hold up. If you knew anything about politics, you would know that black voters routinely vote 90 percent of the time for Democratic presidential candidates, who previously have been all white. Simply voting for a black presidential candidate did not alter their voting pattern; they would have voted for him if he was white. So it is irrefutable that they did not vote that way just because he was black.

White people who would have voted Democratic but chose not to because the nominee was black — now that would be racist. But thankfully there were very few of those people. Obama got a higher percentage of the vote than Clinton did either time.

You should know what you are talking about before spouting off like an ill-informed bar fly.

• Tom V. | October 4, 2011 at 11:42 am |

90% of the black people who vote vote democratic, that isn’t the same as more black people going out and voting for a black man. There were plenty of extra black voters this time around voting along racist lines.

• Pierre | October 4, 2011 at 11:54 am |

Do you know the difference between the words “racist” and “racial”?

• Michael M | October 4, 2011 at 11:57 am |

Respectfully, sir, you don’t know what I know. Of course I know that black voters vote for the Democratic candidate a large majority of the time. Anyone who breathes in this country knows that. In an ideal world, we’d vote for a candidate based on the candidate and not the party (and especially not their race), but we don’t live in an ideal world, and I am well aware of that.

But my comments were not about voting patterns of any demographic in the US (black or white). I was talking about INDIVIDUAL decisions based on skin color. To assume that a white person who chose to vote for McCain is a racist is ok. But it’s “ill-informed” to suggest that a black person might, just might, have made their decision based on race?

Either way, I appreciate those who can engage in a discourse without using personal insults. Apparently you’re not one of those people. That’s a shame.

• Pierre | October 4, 2011 at 12:05 pm |

I don’t think you know the difference between “racist” and “racial”…and I believe your thinking is very superficial. Got it…?

• Michael M | October 4, 2011 at 12:14 pm |

Pierre, your reply is to Geeman, so I am not sure who the heck you’re talking to, but if your comments are directed toward me, of course I know the difference between racist and racial. But the bottom line is that if you voted for a candidate because of the color of his skin, that’s wrong. Period. Regardless of which way you voted.

As for you comment about what you view as my “superficial” thinking…I promise you, sir, I could not possibly care less.

• Pierre | October 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm |

Pretty presumptuous of you to say that you know things I don’t know, eh…? You certainly haven’t demonstrated any superior knowledge or mental acuity. Who the f*ck do you think you are…?

• Michael M | October 4, 2011 at 2:25 pm |

Any time one resorts to using the F word in a debate, he’s proven he’s unworthy of continued conversation.

Have a good day sir.

• Graf Zeppelin | October 4, 2011 at 11:46 am |

I don’t think the word “racist” has any meaning at all anymore.

Certainly no one ever admits to being one, and everyone seems to enjoy accusing others of being one. The definition and understanding of what “racism” is and who is or is not a “racist” depends entirely on who is the accuser and who is the accused. There is no consistency whatsoever in how the word is used either by accusers or by accused, in terms of one situation being analogous to another whereby an objective comparison can be made.

No one understands what it means, and we certainly can’t agree on what it means or when it applies, so how can the word have any meaning at all?

• Michael M | October 4, 2011 at 12:00 pm |

Good point. To me, it’s a shame that Peyton Hillis had black players tell him “You’re not going to run the ball on us, white boy.” But the real shame is that no one made an issue of it.

Imagine if it were the other way around. I am sure those kind of comments were made in college football (and perhaps in the NFL) in the 1960s by white defenders toward black RBs. It was wrong then, and it’s wrong now.

• Rob S | October 4, 2011 at 10:08 am |

It’s amazing how Godwin’s Law is ever-expanding…

• Lloyd Davis | October 4, 2011 at 11:08 am |

And how it keeps getting proven.

• Pierre | October 4, 2011 at 11:17 am |

“so not liking obama makes one a racist prick?”

No…being an ignorant alcoholic redneck makes one a racist prick.

Please tell me you’re not defending this arrogant A-hole…

• Kyle Allebach | October 4, 2011 at 3:14 pm |

I was gonna give my two cents, but everyone already did…

I’ve seen some political commentary on Uni Watch, but I’ve never seen it go this long before.

• Carrothead | October 4, 2011 at 9:54 pm |

I can see the relation of Hitler to Obama. He has extremely dissimilar political views, but he is slowly trying to take over the country by gaining fame and power with all of the things he is approving, such as National Healthcare.

• Pierre | October 4, 2011 at 11:00 pm |

So Hank Williams Jr. is very much like Charles Manson because they both have beards?

• Scott | October 4, 2011 at 8:58 am |

In the color Happy Days photo, is that Clint Howard inthe plastic Orioles helmet?

• Ricko | October 4, 2011 at 9:05 am |

I’d say yes.

• Lloyd Davis | October 4, 2011 at 11:07 am |

Without a doubt! It appears he was the team’s catcher.

Here’s an interview with Clint Howard that talks about the Happy Days softball team. Includes a photo of Winkler with his jersey (T-shirt?) tucked.

• bill | October 4, 2011 at 12:31 pm |

What’s the story with Winkler’s batting stance?

• John Q | October 4, 2011 at 11:19 am |

Yeah that’s him in his replica plastic “Orioles” helmet playing for “Happy Days” in Wrigley Field, seriously WTF, only in the 70’s?? He looks like a freak and he wasn’t even involved with the show! Actually 1/2 the people in that Happy Days lineup look kind of creepy.

I remember that “Happy Days” team played at Shea during the summer of ’78 against the Mets wives which was odd. I think David Hartman even played with the Happy Days gang for some reason?? I guess they went around the U.S. during the summer and played charity softball games against the players wives?

The team I remember seeing had different uniforms. They had “Happy Days” over a 45 record. Here’s a link:

• Lloyd Davis | October 4, 2011 at 11:24 am |

In fact, Clint made guest appearances on “Happy Days” in 1976 and ’80.

• John Q | October 4, 2011 at 11:27 am |

Yeah I’m guessing the requirements for getting on the “Happy Days” team weren’t that stringent.

• John Q | October 4, 2011 at 11:25 am |

According to the scorecard I think the Happy Days photos were probably taken during the august of ’79 against Chicago Media types. It appears they had new uniforms from what they were wearing in ’78 or ’77.

• MPowers1634 | October 4, 2011 at 9:09 am |

I am LOVING the Oregon Tees:

• bill | October 4, 2011 at 9:09 am |

Color version of the O’s sesquicentennial patch, sported by Brooks, can be seen here:

Magnify the picture for a good view.

• Bernard | October 4, 2011 at 9:17 am |

Like this charmingly amateurish logo? Become an Indianapolis Indians fan!

• Eriq Jaffe | October 4, 2011 at 9:17 am |

I went through so many of those pencil sets…

• JimWa | October 4, 2011 at 9:25 am |

1. Channel 59, Fox Indianapolis? Really? Is channel 59 even a broadcast station anymore (with the digital conversion)

2. Should I be embarrassed to be able to mention that Donny Most will be on Glee tonight?

• Rob S | October 4, 2011 at 9:33 am |

Virtual numbers. Although the higher frequencies aren’t used anymore for TV, the TV stations retain their analog numbers as virtual numbers (hence, Detroit still has channels 56 (PBS) and 62 (CBS) even though their “true” digital channels are different).

• Douglas King | October 4, 2011 at 2:42 pm |

on Uverse and DirecTV the local channels were the same as their name (FOX 5 is on channel 5, WB36 was on channel 36 (now its My ATL TV), UPN 69 was on 69 (its now the CW), PBA 30 is on channel 30, etc.).

It was the same with the digital converter I used last year when I had no cable. As far as I know cable is the only one that assigns different numbers than what the stations identify as.

• Andy | October 4, 2011 at 9:45 am |

Pink sweatbands and do-rags and even gloves and shoes are one thing, but you absolutely should not be replacing team-issued uniform items with pink ones that look like they were bought in Walmart’s teen section. The few players who were wearing pink stripe socks instead of their team socks or who were wearing pink and black socks to cover the white portion of their team socks should absolutely be fined. The pink long sleeved undershirts were also offensive, especially with the Bucs’ color scheme. Looked absolutely terrible.

• JimWa | October 4, 2011 at 9:54 am |

Will the Bucs be wearing the creamsicles at all in October? I’m not sure if the look would hurt the eyes, or be the least offensive of all NFL combinations!

• jdreyfuss | October 4, 2011 at 11:33 am |

Pink with the creamsicles might actually work. I love those unis, but they are most definitely candy colored.

• Mike N. | October 4, 2011 at 9:54 am |

Does anybody know which website first reported on the rumor of Georgia Tech’s hideous-looking new lid? Some background would be appreciated.

btw… if they wear some crazy black uni against VaTech instead of white & gold (w/ just a little bit of navy)…. this alum will not be a happy camper.

• Douglas King | October 4, 2011 at 11:52 am |

Its BS, the GT is applied terribly, and Tech’s actual decals don’t have that much clear space (it just outlines the GT).

Also it has a “TECH” nose bumper which hasn’t been worn in years (it has said ACC for around a decade).

However a few weeks back a picture of a white helmet was put out (prior to the 2nd home game) on twitter saying that “Tech will not be wearing these this weekend”. I’m hoping that is a hint that there is a white helmet (basically we aren’t wearing these THIS weekend, but we will)in the works for a whiteout that way if we are denied white at home we’d still be wearing a majority of white.

Black would make no sense anyways: haven’t worn it since the 80s, and hadn’t used it as anything other than trim/numbers before then. And of course there’s that whole we have Navy which is already close enough to black (i.e. if we do something ridiculous it should be a Navy-out).

Here’s a higher quality photo that shows just how poor the quality of the helmet is:

• Mike N. | October 4, 2011 at 12:18 pm |

I dunno, Douglas… I looked through the entire gallery that you referenced of the GT-UNC game …and there’s a lot of clear space on this poorly applied decal, too…

The thought of a “black-out” or a “navy-out” frightens me.

• Douglas King | October 4, 2011 at 12:29 pm |

Yeah I just noticed that too, but here’s the more likely alternate helmet (actual school colors, and the trend of the whiteout):

That’s from Tech’s PR guy, its the throwback helmet minus the stripes but that could just be to further the mystery as to whether or not they will be wearing it (if they used the current gold it’d would kill any mystery).

• JEDI54 | October 4, 2011 at 1:02 pm |

I love the black Georgia Tech hats.

• Douglas King | October 4, 2011 at 2:35 pm |

^probably not a Tech fan then.

If that’s what the helmet would look like then it is a huge mess, both Black and Navy are on that helmet and there’s no sign of gold. It’d be less ugly if they substituted the Black for the Navy, instead it includes both (this is why I’m positive its a fake).

• Stirpey | October 4, 2011 at 6:27 pm |

are you gentlemen sure thats black? it looks like matte old gold? look at the reflection above the GT…it looks like a deep gold to me…

• Simon | October 4, 2011 at 9:58 am |

You got one wrong on the MLB playoff uniform tracker — the Rays wore their navy alternates for game two in Texas.

• Kevin Poss | October 4, 2011 at 10:03 am |

Racist prick? Just because he’s honest.. and besides, what ‘racist’ would support Herman Cain?? Lib-tard..

• Pierre | October 4, 2011 at 1:31 pm |

Really…? Tell you what…get Hank Williams Jr. all liquored up and then come back and tell me what he says, in private, about all those poor black people who live on the other side of the tracks. Okay…? Yea, I’ll bet Hank Williams Jr. is just a progressive paragon when it comes to race relations…you can tell just by looking at him and listening to his kind words.

• Boomtown | October 4, 2011 at 4:06 pm |

You can tell just by looking at him? Well, shit, then Steve Earle must be the most racist, conservative guy ever – just look at him.

• Pierre | October 4, 2011 at 6:02 pm |

I said “looking at him and listening to his kind words…” Can you read…?

Better yet…can you see and hear. If so, go watch the entire clip of the ignorant redneck’s “performance” on FOX & Friends.

I honestly cannot believe people are defending this ignorant POS…

• Pierre | October 4, 2011 at 6:13 pm |

BTW, do you always rely on the intelligence of redneck high school dropouts, such as Hank Williams Jr., for reliable political commentary on important Presidential matters?

• DJ | October 4, 2011 at 3:51 pm |

“Lib-tard?” Let me guess, you’re secretly the President of the Oxford Union.

• CCJ | October 4, 2011 at 4:54 pm |

For what it’s worth, a number of HW Jr.’s songs don’t exactly help the case of anyone claiming he’s not racist. (i.e. “If the South Woulda Won” and “If Heaven Ain’t a lot like Dixie”)

• Shane | October 4, 2011 at 10:26 am |

I don’t mind that they’re not totally vintage correct, those Oregon faux-backs look pretty cool.

• Robert Eden | October 4, 2011 at 10:30 am |

I don’t give a flip about Hank Williams, Jr., Obama or anything in between, but I fail to see how Williams’ comments make him a racist. I get so sick of the political shit that works its way into this otherwise great blog.

Yeah yeah, I know, the writer can write whatever he wants and I can choose to read the blog or not. I get it.

• Pierre | October 4, 2011 at 11:24 am |

Maybe racist is an unproven presumption. How about we just call Hank Williams Jr. an ignorant, arrogant, attention-grabbing redneck who’s running for political office and needs to say inflammatory thing to garner support from equally ignorant redneck voters?

• Will S | October 4, 2011 at 11:25 am |

I hope that Paul and Phil try to defend themselves by using the free speech, “you don’t have to read it” argument. That would be hilarious after calling out somebody on a freedom of speech issue, albeit a harsh one.

• jdreyfuss | October 4, 2011 at 11:40 am |

The “you don’t have to read it” argument has nothing to do with freedom of speech. The reaction to Hank Williams has nothing to do with freedom of speech. The marketplace of ideas says that what Hank Williams, Jr. said was wrong, whether it’s because it was racist (which it wasn’t), ignorant (which it was), or simply in incredibly poor taste (which it definitely was).

Phil has every right to say what he wants on this blog as long as Paul lets him and it doesn’t violate Paul’s contract with the company that licenses him the space. You have every right to react to it how you want. How the moderators and the rest of the commenters react might change how you express yourself in the future. That’s the heart of this matter.

• Achowat | October 4, 2011 at 2:23 pm |

HW2 was fired from his job because of something stupid he said in public. “Freedom of Speech” makes it so you can’t be jailed for unpopular opinions, it doesn’t instantly make those opinions popular. Disney has a right to protect their product. And frankly, I’m sure if P^2 lost sponsors for calling a spade a racist prick, then I’d be the first to line up and say that bygones are bygones

• Tom V. | October 4, 2011 at 11:49 am |

“…I get so sick of the political shit that works its way into this otherwise great blog…”

Robert, I couldn’t agree more.

• -DW | October 4, 2011 at 5:34 pm |

I am also in agreement of this statement.

• Jack | October 4, 2011 at 10:40 am |

I don’t see the relevance in the snark comment about Hank Williams Jr.

This is a uniform site. If you mentioned something about his camo Alabama hat… then understood. But to make a comment about him being racist/redneck is just a racist comment toward many people that would affectionately consider themselves to be a “redneck.”

Pot calling the kettle black.

On this site, it’s great to escape the political debates and read about a fun topic. Please keep your liberal views aside and stick to uniforms.

• JimWa | October 4, 2011 at 11:38 am |

I don’t care for the meaning behind the HWJ ticker item, but it IS athletic aesthetically relevant, as is led to the pulling of the traditional MNF opening last night.

Personally, I think this would be a GREAT time for ESPN to move forward. He’s there only because he always has been. A new sports channel creating a new brand from scratch would have HWJ as choice number 37,941 to introduce each weeks’ games (though he just got moved down three spaces to 37,944, behind Weird Al, Andy Rooney, and Leonard Nemoy).

• jdreyfuss | October 4, 2011 at 11:41 am |

Hey now, I’d put Leonard Nimoy above Andy Rooney at least. Of course I’m a nerd, though not a Trekkie.

• R.S. Rogers | October 4, 2011 at 1:39 pm |

Or how about, Throw away the list of possible pre-game entertainers, including alas Leonard Nimoy or Weird Al, and just show us the darn football game? Revolutionary, I know, but isn’t the name of the show, Monday …. Night … wait for it … Football? There is a list of things that belongs on a program called Monday Night Football. That list is one item long, and it reads, “Football.” Things not on the list include, but are not limited to, Rush Limbaugh, Dennis Miller, and concerts by anyone, even artists such as Hank Junior that I generally like, even if they are complete tools when not performing.

• Rob S | October 4, 2011 at 2:36 pm |

Or, you know, if they have to have some sort of musical thing… they could just get Joey Harrington. He’s an ex-NFLer, he’s got musical talent, he’s already in the ESPN family of networks (Longhorn Network)…

• Komet17 | October 4, 2011 at 8:26 pm |

@Rob S: For a second there, I thought you wrote Joey Heatherton:

• AnthonyTX | October 4, 2011 at 11:01 am |

I know it’s become a common refrain every week, but the Colts’ super-stretchies really look awful. In particular, Joseph Addai, Dallas Clark, and Pat Angerer (sorry, couldn’t find a photo) just look like crap. The TV numbers are all squished, the shoulder stripes aren’t even presentable, and the jerseys get all wrinkled and messed up with the slightest movement. I know football isn’t a competition to see who looks the best, but what a bastardization of one of the best uniforms in the NFL (and I’m a Texans fan)! Nike can’t come soon enough.

• jdreyfuss | October 4, 2011 at 11:46 am |

Ruining the specific uniform design aside, the worst look was Austin Collie, who wore a super-stretchy over a flak jacket and a backplate. I couldn’t find a picture of it, but he looked like he was wearing Madonna’s cone bra from the front and just really lumpy from the back. That jersey style only works when you wear small pads that provide very little protection. Ultimate misapplication of form over function.

• traxel | October 4, 2011 at 4:27 pm |

It is the worst uniform in the league because of the shoulder stripes. I have to hide my eyes or I’ll turn to stone. It would help tremendously if the stripes were to just be eliminated and go plain Raiders style….IF they can’t be done right.

• Kevin | October 4, 2011 at 11:03 am |

Fuckin’ A! Leave it to Potsy to forget his stirrups…

• Geen | October 4, 2011 at 11:26 am |

Dear Quad City Mallards:

All is forgiven. The sheriff jerseys are no longer considered ugly compared to that Munich hockey team with the Oktoberfest jerseys complete with lederhosen.

Gah!

• pflava | October 4, 2011 at 11:47 am |

Forget all the political whining here today. Let’s focus on the positive – we don’t have to hear that stupid song on MNF (at least for now)! Sorry, but the original MNF theme music is not something that should ever be replaced or relegated to background status.

• jdreyfuss | October 4, 2011 at 11:49 am |

Thank you. I said that last night.

• JimWa | October 4, 2011 at 11:52 am |

I didn’t watch the game, so I have to ask – how DID they introduce the game? I have a hard time believing they’d go with someone as unconventional as (gasp) letting the teams be the focus leading into the contest?

• jdreyfuss | October 4, 2011 at 12:00 pm |

I don’t remember. I don’t think they did any kind of fanfare opening; I think they just led from the cold open directly into the broadcast.

• Tim E. O'B | October 4, 2011 at 12:38 pm |

They just showed the on field National Anthem instead.

• JimWa | October 4, 2011 at 2:38 pm |

For shame.

What does ABC think this is, baseball on WGN? Now, if there’s a marching band playing the anthem while being chased around the field by a 57 Chevy (sans driver), with an occasional tuba player being run down, I can see this attracting football fans, otherwise they’ll have to find another placeholder STAT!

• pushbutton | October 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm |

You can’t beatthis openingfor my money. I thought it was the most exciting minute on TV.

• JimWa | October 4, 2011 at 1:36 pm |

Shameful. They used the old NFL logo TWICE. Don’t they have anyone to check content?

• Teebz | October 4, 2011 at 11:48 am |

Can anyone on this board actually read? John Ekdahl compiled the ticker. Not Paul. Not Phil.

I’m not for or against the political debate on here because it matters little in the grand scheme of things, but the most important in reading the blog is READING.

Stop being a bunch of illiterate half-wits, and COMPREHEND WHAT YOU READ.

• Tim E. O'B | October 4, 2011 at 12:47 pm |

But people are too ready to pull out their, “…so? Black people are more racist!” comments to read everything. Also, I love how other racism is supposed to defend racism.

It was a stupid thing to put into the ticker (almost as stupid as comparing ANY president to Hitler besides Jimmy Adolph Hilter Jr. Carter**, I still don’t understand how people missed that one…) but let’s be honest:

1) HWJ is probably pretty dumb, most kids of famous people are…
      2) HWJ is probably a lil bit racist, he’s just of the right age group (hell even my dad says shit where I’m like, “yeah, you can’t say that.”).
      3) Who cares if in a 1500 word piece on a blog, some guest writer let’s his political views shine through an ill-thought out comment? It’s a blog, the entire purpose is to state opinions and 99.8% of them were on-topic today.

** for other stoopid people, this was a joke. Jimmy Cater’s middle names were not “Adolph Hitler Jr.” nor does he or his policies resemble those of the leader of 1939 Germany.

• Anthony | October 5, 2011 at 8:42 am |

I literally laughed out loud when I read your double asterisk explanation of the Jimmy Carter joke. +1, my friend.

• Ben Fortney | October 4, 2011 at 11:55 am |

MNF should open with this from now on.

• JimWa | October 4, 2011 at 12:01 pm |

OK, how about a different discussion about sports and people who may or may not be giant douchbags?

(my guess would be there could be more than a layer or two to this discussion)

• Kevin | October 4, 2011 at 12:04 pm |

It looks like the Colts Austin Collie has gone back to a regular (Apprears to be Schutt XP) helmet. What happened to the Simpson prototype he was wearing in the preseason? I got a little look at it from the side. It had a strange facemask attatchment. Anyone have a tight picture of it or a look at the inside? And why did he not stick with it through the season?

• MPowers1634 | October 4, 2011 at 12:16 pm |

Oregon unveiled a new jersey and we are bitching about politics…C’mon people!

Even my wife, who could not care any less about my uniform ramblings, saw the puddles tee on the computer and asked” Why in such a bad economy are they using and selling so many jerseys?”

• Tim E. O'B | October 4, 2011 at 12:52 pm |

Oregon Uniforms are job creators, haha. They make 100+ new ones a week, someone has to stitch those up…

• Kyle Allebach | October 4, 2011 at 3:21 pm |

Also, Oregon has so many new uniforms, a new uni being news for Oregon is now passé. No one really cares, especially about a fauxback.

• Douglas King | October 4, 2011 at 12:22 pm |

I mentioned this earlier but it was in a reply so I figure that I’d post it again:

This is a better picture of the fake helmet posted in the ticker (notice the poorly applied decal, and the fact that it is literally the regular decal from the Gold helmet (white with navy outline) placed on a black helmet):

If Tech wears anything other than a Gold Helmet it will be white helmet to correspond with a whiteout.

here’s a somewhat cryptic tweet/pic about white helmets from the PR guy for GT Athletics, could be foreshadowing (like we aren’t wearing these THIS week but we will later in the season).

The picture appears to be the throwback helmet minus the stripes. This could be because Tech is trying to make it a surprise of sorts (if they post a picture with the current gold being used it eliminates the mystery), or it could be the PR guy trying to drum up interest in the possibility of such an alternate even if there’s no chance.

• Mike 2 | October 4, 2011 at 12:29 pm |

I’m a Canadian and don’t want to wade too deep into the debate.

But I will point out that the last time someone associated with ESPN compared anyone to Hitler (Jemele Hill in 2008), ESPN suspended her.

I’m sure at the very least the thinking at ESPN was “the last time something like this this happened we did something, OK now this time we gotta do something”.

• Connie | October 4, 2011 at 12:44 pm |

For this old coot, today has been pretty terrible. I am a highly politicized animal, and many of the remarks printed today strike me as ignorant and offensive. I am not a pox-on-both-your-houses person. I am extremely partisan, and think one of the two major US political parties has acted with an inexcusable lack of patriotism in the last dozen years or so.

BUT. But. Uni Watch is not the place for political commentary, not in any extended way, at least. Another few days like today and I’m outta here.

• Geeman | October 4, 2011 at 1:39 pm |

I’m with you. I have my political views, and I don’t really want to see them here either, in the comments or elsewhere, on either side of the aisle (though of course I would defend to the end the right of the people to make them).

• Kyle Allebach | October 4, 2011 at 3:36 pm |

I agree with you; Uni Watch isn’t the place for this. On the other hand, I feel like comparing any President to Hitler, no matter whom, is a bad call. Hitler tried to annihilate an entire race of people. As of now, no President has tried it, so realistically you can’t compare anyone to him. I’m not an Obama fan, nor a G.W. Bush fan, but neither of them did anything remotely similar to Hitler.

So yeah, lets chill out on the political items, unless we see Obama wearing a Jay Cutler jersey or the Tea Party starts handing out Tea Party jerseys.

• R.S. Rogers | October 4, 2011 at 4:22 pm |

Speaking of that, if New Era ever makes a D-Backs cap in these colors, I’ll buy a half dozen. Not that I support the tea party or anything, but I’ve always loved the Gadsden flag.

• Anthony | October 5, 2011 at 8:46 am |

@R.S. Rogers. Me too. It’s too bad that the Tea Party had to take the flag as a symbol. I’m about as liberal as it gets, so I’d lose all my Democratic “street cred” if I wear one.

• Pierre | October 4, 2011 at 1:08 pm |

What Williams’ defenders fail to grasp is that he was on FOX & Friends primarily to plug Monday Night Football. It wasn’t a coicidence he was there on a Monday. He wasn’t invited to spew his incoherent political vomit. He gratuitously made the dumb, offensive remarks…and even the FOX hosts tried to give the arrogant, dumb bastard a chance to walk his remarks back.

Had Williams made the comments at one of his concerts…or a Sarah Palin rally he would have been excused. But because his appearance yesterday was connected to MNF ESPN has no choice but to launch the guy.

This guy has a long history of drunkeness and stupidity…and now he’s running for U.S. Senate. Gimme a break…he’s going to continue embarrassing himself and anyone he’s associated with.

• John | October 4, 2011 at 12:39 pm |

Ottawa Senators/Senateurs d’Ottawa officially revealed their not-secret throwbacks.

• The Jeff | October 4, 2011 at 1:05 pm |

Surely I’m not the only one that sees that and instantly thinks Overstock.com, am I?

• Tim E. O'B | October 4, 2011 at 1:19 pm |

Yes. Yes you are.

• The Jeff | October 4, 2011 at 1:22 pm |

Dammit :(

• Douglas King | October 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm |

I think O.co because I just don’t have time to type “verstock” and certainly won’t be bothered with typing more than two-thirds of “com”.

• Rob S | October 4, 2011 at 2:07 pm |

Or “O.co”, because people are too lazy to spell out thirteen characters?

• Rob S | October 4, 2011 at 2:07 pm |

^ A little delayed (that’s what I get for taking time to read comments before posting, I guess…)

• jdreyfuss | October 4, 2011 at 2:07 pm |

I didn’t see it until you pointed it out, but now I can’t get it out of my head.

• Kyle Allebach | October 4, 2011 at 3:38 pm |

Is that because you’re a Raiders fan?

• Kyle Allebach | October 4, 2011 at 3:38 pm |

I mean RAIDERS FAN
          (well…this is embarrassing…)

• Kyle Allebach | October 4, 2011 at 3:39 pm |

FUCK THERES SUPPOSED TO BE A LINK TO O.CO COLISEUM PAGE and the html tag isn’t working
          /headdesk

• Sean | October 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm |

Dammit! You made me click a Fox News link! Not even a warning? I had one hell of a streak going….(Some sarcasm but seriously, linked to Fox News?)

• Brian | October 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm |

Rays wearing powder blue jerseys today. This is (to my knowledge) the first time they’ve ever worn them for a non-Sunday game.

• JimWa | October 4, 2011 at 2:33 pm |

I was just about to mention that the baby blues vs. grey seems to me an odd combination. I don’t know if it’s just from an NL fan perspective, or if baby blues generally go up against softball tops, but it’s a look I don’t feel I often see.

• Rob H. | October 4, 2011 at 4:10 pm |

and you probably don’t see the Rays’ Columbia Blues against gray very often, since they generally only wear them on Sunday, and I think Sunday is when most other teams wear their alts as well, however against a team like the Yankees you would.

• Rob H. | October 4, 2011 at 2:44 pm |

I believe that is correct.

• Rob H. | October 4, 2011 at 4:07 pm |

Knowing Joe Maddon, probably with the early start time, he wanted his guys to go through the routine like it was a Sunday game.

Before yesterday’s game, according to the playoff tracker(s), the softball tops were 5-0 in games vs. teams wearing white/grey since the beginning of last postseason. I noticed that about the time the Rangers took the lead yesterday in their blue softball tops, against the Rays, who were wearing white.

Hopefully the Rays in the Columbia blue today can make it two in a row for the softball tops against the gray-clad Rangers and come back this afternoon, otherwise the season will be over.

• scott | October 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm |

Actually, softball tops have had a tough time of it in the postseason in the last year or so. And so there was little surprise that the powder blues were going to be the look of a loser.

• Navyam09 | October 4, 2011 at 3:33 pm |

Has anyone else seen Jason labarbaras new goalie mask? Now that is how to do camo correctly… Sorry no link I’m literally sitting on top of a mh-53e helicopter on here while I’m supposed to be working :D

• John | October 4, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
      • Stirpey | October 4, 2011 at 6:32 pm |

would you look at that…a tasteful military tribute. Cheers to him. I’m with my brother right now who served two years in Iraq and he loves it. Thinks it was done very well and in good taste. he especially likes the maple leafs/stars motif

• Pat | October 4, 2011 at 3:43 pm |

Lost in the political diatribes and complaints of burnt orange was the fact that the article about the Broncos stated they would not be changing their design of the uniforms. That’s ok I sort of like the current design even though that is blaspheme around Uni Watch parts.

I’m assuming Oregon will have yellow helmets and pants to go with the semi-retro look. Maybe they will put the Duck on the helmet instead of the O. That’d be kinda cool. My sister will be at that game on Thursday.

• Douglas King | October 4, 2011 at 5:43 pm |

I would like to see the the Duck coming out of the O on the helmet.

I imagine they will have the same yellow that is on the jersey for the pants and helmet as opposed to the cheese yellow they wore with the throwbacks in 09 (the first time the helmet had the UO logo, the second time the current O).

The black outline actually works to an extent on the shade of green they are using but it would still look better with a white outline. I suspect they will likely have the UO with the black outline that Nike instituted once they took over for Russel Athletic.

• Douglas King | October 4, 2011 at 5:46 pm |

Also the way my screen is showing it I keep seeing the black as purple (as in the first uniforms Gordon Bombay had made for the Ducks in the Mighty Ducks franchise).

• Ry Co 40 | October 4, 2011 at 3:52 pm |

sea of numbers… won’t look too bad, but on buffalo, it’s a bit overkill

• Kyle M | October 4, 2011 at 4:23 pm |

The Duck Tracker got a shout out on this BroBible post about UO’s jersey’s supposedly for Thursday.

• Coleman (on his phone) | October 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm |

So apparently WVU is all but in with the SEC now. Matter of price to exit the Big East, which rumors say the BE is asking for 150% of 2010 AND 2011 WVU revenue PLUS the 5mil exit fee… WOW.

Also, I’m not about to touch the Hank, Jr. Topic intentionally but I just heard on the radio that Axl Rose will replace him. Doh!

• traxel | October 4, 2011 at 5:44 pm |

The Big East probably wants the eastern 300 miles of the WV panhandle too. Where are you getting your info on the SEC? Mizzou curators are meeting right this minute discussing the same thing.

As far as Hank Jr, I just can’t believe commentors spent the better part of the day actually harping on Hank Jr. and his politics. Those two subjects shouldn’t even be in the same paragraph. And Axel Rose as a proposed replacement??? Obviously brainpower is not what ESPN looks for. Lindsey Lohan must be next.

And the song, I’ve grown used to it. Not really attached to it though. Just wish they’d dump Tirico and his insincere fabricated excitement with it. He’s much better in the studio. I’ll take Merideth, Cosell, and Gifford and their human imperfections any day.

• Coleman (on his phone) | October 4, 2011 at 9:56 pm |

Mr Traxel,my high school friend’s sister’s half brother told me ;) Really though, I just have a few good friends that know journalists and school employees, even a few athletic insiders at WVU. Don’t worry, even I’m still taking it with a grain of salt until there is an official word. Rumor is that’ll be Thursday or Friday so as to give the new WV Governor his due attention.

• Douglas King | October 4, 2011 at 5:49 pm |

Last I heard, they applied to and were denied entrance to the ACC and the SEC (the main factor being academics, apparently they’re standards are lower than the typical SEC school when it comes to athletes).

• Komet17 | October 4, 2011 at 8:34 pm |

Their. Their standards.

• scottmartin | October 4, 2011 at 5:06 pm |

But when the Bobcats used orange it sucked?

• KevPlank | October 4, 2011 at 5:11 pm |

Love the Broncos going back to orange as their dominant home uni color. I know it’s blasphemy to like orange on this site (Bobcats, Broncos, etc.) but no one outside this flock of skcuf gives a schmidt.

• Douglas King | October 4, 2011 at 5:56 pm |

I hope this means a change in uniform design, the way its currently set up the orange and the navy do not work nearly as well when the Orange is the dominant. Hopefully they can find a design that uses them well together, either that or change it to the same blue that the Giants use (I’m against making it as light as it was but not against lightning it up some).

I’m glad the fans are happy, hopefully they can make it as aesthetically pleasing to the rest of the league.

• Pat | October 4, 2011 at 9:50 pm |

If you read the article in the link it clearly states they will not be redesigning the unis. They’re just swapping the primary and alternate distinctions on the Orange and Blue unis.

• LarryB | October 4, 2011 at 5:15 pm |

I am partial to New Mexico colors. That silver uni looked good to me But I prefer the red and silver.

I just like the Lobos helmet logo and overall look.

• Ryan | October 4, 2011 at 5:16 pm |

Pretty interesting that, in both leagues, one series has both teams with pretty strong uniform tradition(s) and the other series has teams that seem more concerned with diversifying potential jersey & hat sales. The Tigers & Yankees have the best uniforms in the AL and have been wearing those home unis since forever. And while I know the Phillies dabbled in maroon a few decades back, and both they and the Cardinals wore powder blues around that time. The Cards, meanwhile, have been wearing some form of the birds-on-bat for over 80 years and both teams have classic looks.

The Rays & D’backs, meanwhile, have both changed color schemes once in their 14 years of existence. The Rangers & Brewers, too, seem to have various secondary & tertiary jerseys (and hats) that are worn far too often. You’d think the Rangers would’ve learned their lesson last year: they are now 0-4 in the playoffs this year and last when wearing their red jerseys–all home games, no less. By my count, they’re 4-1 when wearing their home whites.

• Giancarlo | October 4, 2011 at 6:27 pm |

Your analysis may be right, but to fairly compare old teams to newer ones you have to go back to the early years of the old teams, where you’ll notice that the Tigers and Yankees were both playing around with their color schemes in their first decade or so of existence. I’m sure it’s the same story with the Cards and Phillies. In fact the Phillies didn’t settle on the red-based scheme until 1950, when the franchise was 67 years old.

• Ryan | October 4, 2011 at 10:11 pm |

True, but there’s still several teams that have been around about as long that seem to enjoy changing things up a little more than the 4 teams here (though I guess the Phillies’ logo change in the ’70s might count as such)–the Pirates & White Sox are a couple that come to mind. Also, even teams that have been around now for 40-50 years–the Astros, Mariners, Angels, Padres, etc.–seem to enjoy changing things up whenever their color scheme du jour gets old.

• LarryB | October 4, 2011 at 5:18 pm |

I checked some Arizona pics from 83-86 and did not notice the number on the helmet as shown today?

• J Lancaster | October 4, 2011 at 5:41 pm |

Please tell me how, Bucs center, Davin Joseph’s isn’t against some NFL uniform rule? It cover his uni number!!
    Unfortunately, this is the best photo I could find.

• Pat | October 4, 2011 at 9:56 pm |

They were going to try and make the players keep their hair in their helmets a few years back and they decided that if the player wants to risk being pulled down by their hair then so be it. As far as uniform standards go, the only reason for numbers is for the fans to know who is who and for the refs to be able to distinguish if a player is a legal player to be an eligible receiver and to know you are tossing the right guy out if he does something really egregious. I mean if they were going to call holding on him they’d know who he was because his hair is so long even if they couldn’t see his number.

• Simply Moono | October 4, 2011 at 5:53 pm |

*SMH*

Tragic.

• Douglas King | October 4, 2011 at 5:57 pm |

OUCH

• Michael M | October 4, 2011 at 7:39 pm |

And I’d managed to avoid all pictures and video of that injury. Until now.

Thanks Moono.

Damn you.

• Simply Moono | October 4, 2011 at 9:35 pm |

It’s what I do ;) (not to make light of this)

The only good thing that I found in Eric Foster’s injury was that in the midst of that gruesome sight, he was pumping up his team to fight on, mangled ankle and all. That to me, says more about an athlete’s toughness and dedication to a team than some silly all-black uniform with Smith & Wesson .500 patches on the sleeves ever will.

• Tim E. O'B | October 4, 2011 at 11:00 pm |

Not to make light of it? Hell I made light of it to my best bud who’s a Colt’s fan immediately following the injury.

“Eric Foster’s a big baby, Cutler woulda played on that clearly broken ankle.”

“what a wimp. **oh, my leg is snapped in half, I can’t possibly walk off the field**
          …baby.”

But I’m a bad person who makes zombie jokes at my own loved ones funerals…

• Rob S | October 4, 2011 at 11:07 pm |

You know, I first clicked that link, didn’t notice it, and thought nothing of it, but then after seeing the reaction, I took another look and –

GODDAMNIT MOONO!!!

I still can’t look at the Theismann-LT play. Arrgh.

But hey, at least he wasn’t wearing a super-stretchie, right? Riiiiight?

• jdreyfuss | October 5, 2011 at 12:16 am |

I had the same reaction, Rob. I looked at it and couldn’t see anything gruesome, then I looked again and followed his arm down his leg and recoiled in horror.

• Michael M | October 5, 2011 at 9:33 am |

Amen. Of course as a person who’s had five regular, much less gruesome broken bones, I can say he was very likely in shock and not fully aware of the amount of pain he was in when he was pounding his chest.

I cannot even begin to imagine.

• Oakville Endive | October 4, 2011 at 7:49 pm |

It would be far more interesting if the Broncos actually went the burnt orange route – although a few hues more orange than Texas or the orangish/red they wore in the early 1970’s. Blaze orange is over done.

• jdreyfuss | October 5, 2011 at 12:17 am |

Besides the Browns’ helmet and trim, who else uses blaze orange in the NFL?

• The Jeff | October 5, 2011 at 1:44 am |

Uh… almost every other orange wearing team? The Bengals helmets are the same color as the Browns.

• Oakville Endive | October 4, 2011 at 7:50 pm |

Hey Michael Farber (SI) is back on TSN reporters – good to see.

• daveclt | October 4, 2011 at 8:44 pm |

Johnny: It’s ironic that you use a racist term (redneck) to call someone a racist. And, like a bunch of people have already pointed out, it’s sad that you label Hank a racist simply because he doesn’t like the president.

• Tim E. O'B | October 4, 2011 at 10:55 pm |

redneck is not a racist term. Not all epithets are racial.

I don’t give a shit about the rest of your post nor do I care about your political affiliations. Not all epithets

• Little Jack Horner | October 4, 2011 at 10:56 pm |

He is just trying to impress the boss…

• jdreyfuss | October 5, 2011 at 12:21 am |

As long as we’re debating linguistics, even if redneck were a racist term, that would be projection and possibly hypocrisy, but not irony.

• Adam | October 5, 2011 at 3:03 am |

Those “World’s Champions” jerseys are so boss. I think it should be a rule that the reigning champions in any major sport get to wear jerseys like these for the entire season following their championship.