First things first: Big thanks to Phil for handling yesterday’s whilst I recovered from a very hectic weekend.
Now then: Yesterday the NHL finally announced what everyone already knew, namely that the Flyers would host the Rangers in this season’s Winter Classic. From a uniform standpoint, the announcement was a bit of a bust, because players from both teams just wore their regular jerseys (throwbacks will presumably be announced later on). Still, we did learn a few things:
• The Winter Classic logo that leaked last week is accurate.
• Some clown showed up to the press conference in a very classy jersey. Rumors that the gentleman in question was actually Michael Vick are almost certainly untrue. (My thanks to Terence Kearns for the screen shot.)
And as long as we’re talking hockey, here are two other tidbits that came over the transom yesterday:
• The Wild are adding a memorial helmet decal for Derek Boogaard and Pavol Demitra.
• The Devils have a new 30th-anniversary logo. It’s not clear whether they plan to wear it as a patch, but I’ve asked the team. Will advise.
By Brinke Guthrie
Sure, the (baseball) Giants had a down year — what can you expect? It took 50+ years to win the first Series here, so of course they’re gonna go down the tubes. But Giants fans can drown their sorrows in this classic 1980s-style Starter satin jacket.
In other eBay finds:
• (Baltimore) Colts fans, you’ll want this Colts Statue. Should look great next to your Robert Irsay voodoo doll!
• Collector’s Corner Rule: If it’s a 1970s NFL item from IHOP or Sears, it goes up. Case in point: this Miami Dolphins parka from Sears. Guess there was a demand for lined parkas for kids to wear in Miami.
• Cliff Engle Sweater Alert: a New York Football Giants pullover.
• Here’s some rare photographic evidence that Cowboys then-backup QB Danny White wanted to knock starter Roger Staubach’s block off.
• Ever play Roto Darts baseball? Now’s your chance!
Seen something on eBay that you think would make good Collector’s Corner fodder? Send your submissions here.
Extracurricular stuff: Lots of reminders and things to catch up on:
• Remember, if you’re a Uni Watch Membership Program enrollee, you can now order a sheet of stickers based on your membership card design. Big shout-out to everyone who’s been ordering them. If you missed the announcement last week, you can get the full scoop here.
• I’ll be discussing Permanent Record this morning on WNYC-Radio’s “Brian Lehrer Show.” My segment is supposed to run from roughly 11:40am-noon Eastern. You can access the live audio here, and I’ll post the archived audio tomorrow.
• Speaking of Permanent Record, the Slate series has now run its course (if you missed it, it’s here), but the project is not finished. I’m not sure what the next phase will be — maybe a book, maybe more articles on Slate, maybe both, maybe something else entirely. Meanwhile, I’m still posting new material on the Permanent Record blog.
• Also: There’s new content up at the Butcher’s Case. The Brooklyn Fleisher’s opens tomorrow, woot-woot!
Uni Watch News Ticker: It’s official: When the Nets relocate to Brooklyn, they’ll be the Brooklyn Nets. Those jerseys are just placeholders — the team plans to unveil a new color scheme soon-ish. Further info here. … Xavier will wear Cincinnati Royals-esque uniforms for a preseason promotion. Pretty odd to see a college team using an NBA-based design, even if it’s only for an intersquad scrimmage or whatever. … Color-vs.-color alert. That’s Hamilton vs. Calgary in a CFL game from this past Sunday (from Kevin Tiessen). … Bruce Menard found an old Moe Drabowski jersey with first name on back. … Check this out: A Nats fan got himself a Mike Morse jersey with the NOB spelled out in Morse code (from Jason Mott). … Coupla nice finds by Ben Traxel: a shot of the Chiefs — then the Super Bowl champions — playing the college all-stars in July of 1970, and a Kansas football jersey with a massive chest wordmark. … Barcelona soccer players are unhappy with their new Nike jerseys, which apparently soak up too much sweat (from Patrick Runge). … Brad Marchand of the Bruins got himself a Stanley Cup tattoo — complete with a typo. But he says it’s been fixed (from Ken Singer). … And while we’re at it, ASU QB Brock Osweiler has a typo on his tattoo as well. These idiots should stick to “Mother” tats — hard to misspell that. … The Tri-City Americans of the WHL wore stars and stripes uniforms for their home opener the other day. Additional photos here (from Larry Brunt). … What would you do if your mom distributed 700 T-shirts with your nickname and photo on them? I mean besides saying, “That’s not nearly as good as a certain hypothetical shirt that might theoretically be available”? If you’re Reds rookie Devin Mesoraco, you blush and deal with it (thanks, Brinke). … Wisconsin in a black helmet? Impossible! Except it already happened — back in the 1960s. … Indiana football will wear pink gear this weekend against Penn State. … Here’s an NFL rarity: Plaxico Burress was breathing Ethier on Sunday (great spot by Lou DeGeorge). … Kudos to Redskins lineman Jammal Brown, who cut the striped section off of a pair of ’Skins socks and used them to create a killer set of armbands last night (from Casey Gross and Terry Duroncelet). … Meanwhile, Bob DeLano notes that some of the burgundy dye from Rex Grossman’s jersey appeared to be bleeding into his NOB last night. … A Michigan high school is planning to install a red football field (from J. Cristiano).