For Amber Waves of Grain

Arizona - America, in a nutshell

Every year on this date I try to find a photo that captures the essence of America in one click of the shutter (here are the ones from 2010, 2009, and 2008). As I think you’ll agree, this year’s installment — taken by Flickr user davelawrence8 — is a fine addition to the collection. My compliments to the chef.

I’ll be spending the day in my back yard, where I’ll be hosting a feast. On the grill: marinated London broil, marinated chicken thighs, lamb ribs, sausages, clams, corn. In the smoker: dry-rubbed beef ribs, jerk chicken thighs, marrowbones. Huzzah!

Usually I keep the site closed to comments on Independence Day, but it has come to my attention that a few unlucky souls are stuck at their computers today, plus we have some overseas readers, so I’ll leave the comments open this time around. For those of you fortunate enough to be celebrating the holiday with friends and family, break out your patriotic regalia and enjoy the day. And everyone please join me in my annual rallying cry (this year with musical accompaniment): In your face, Redcoats! — Paul

57 comments to For Amber Waves of Grain

• Oakville Endive | July 4, 2011 at 7:58 am |

Ain’t that America – little pink houses for you and me.

• The Jeff | July 4, 2011 at 8:08 am |

Happy July 4 everyone.

…and for those who don’t share Paul’s taste in music, a couple other relatively patriotic songs:

/it’s funny, I actually have today off, but my wonderful city did their fireworks on Friday. :(

• Paul Lukas | July 4, 2011 at 8:47 am |

Are you seriously gonna tell me you don’t like “We Don’t Need the English”? It’s super-catchy and it’s a minute long. Jeez….

• The Jeff | July 4, 2011 at 9:02 am |

Well it wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t something I’d listen to on my own either.

/Besides, how often are music links actually sorta on topic here?

• JTH | July 4, 2011 at 9:18 am |

I get it, that was just The being The.

And I think we can all agree that if the Yankees insist on their special version of the seventh inning stretch, they should switch the song from “God Bless America” to “America, Fuck Yeah”.

• Paul Lukas | July 4, 2011 at 9:35 am |

how often are music links actually sorta on topic here?

Um, since you went out of your way to provide links because you didn’t like mine..?

• StLMarty | July 4, 2011 at 10:11 am |

Let’s all find common ground with a little Lee Greenwood.

• Ricko | July 4, 2011 at 11:50 am |

One of my favorite pre-game moments…

A few years ago, the Gophers and Vols played one another in a bowl game. Lee Greenwood performed before kickoff, and could gesture from one side of the stadium to the other as he sang…

“From the lakes of Minnesota,
          to the hills of Tennessee…”

The crowd (both sides) went nuts.

• StLMarty | July 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm |

Seriously though…

• moose | July 4, 2011 at 12:30 pm |

i say we let jeff secede.

a’ight lukas, i didn’t spend quite what you did on your friends, but….short end/long end babby backs, fat ass beef short ribs, beef brisket, jerk chicken wings and thighs, bockwurst, knackwurst, kentucky spoon bread, watermelon, my ameriaa fuck yeah salad, and of course, bacon ice cream. and don’t forget the beer, copious amounts of booze in the form of a boulevard pilsner keg, zubrowka(i am allowing myself to indulge), and slivovitz.

happy independence day, blow shit up so i can watch.

• Kyle Allebach | July 4, 2011 at 10:14 pm |

My respect has jumped for you The after seeing Iced Earth. It’s rare that I see people liking that band.

• Juke Early | July 4, 2011 at 8:25 am |

There’s a reason Americans are known as Yanks by the rest of the world. Because with all our faults, we are the best.

In your face Redcoats AND your similarly colored socks too. . ..

• Joe D | July 4, 2011 at 8:35 am |

Found this pic on the St. Pete Times with the Rays all-star jerseys with stars around the MLB neck collar logo. Since it’s the road grays it leads me to believe these are for Arizona, but will players wear these as well leading up to the game?

Happy 4th!

• Paul Lukas | July 4, 2011 at 8:45 am |

They’ll wear the jersey stars (and cap stars too) this entire week.

• LI Phil | July 4, 2011 at 9:05 am |

happy indie day peeps

wait…this aint twitter

happy independence day fellow uni watchers

• Komet17 | July 4, 2011 at 9:10 am |

I love those kind of signs–especially the ones with the arrow on the top, with the flashing lights. Are they known by any kind of specific name or term? Does anybody know of a collection of pictures of them on the web anywhere?

• Keith S | July 4, 2011 at 11:52 am |

No collection here, but I love ’em too! I was traveling through Louisiana about 10 years ago, and saw a sign that said “Ray’s lawnmower repair & Tax returns”. I wish I would have had a camera.

• BurghFan | July 4, 2011 at 2:30 pm |

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

• Silver Creek Doug | July 4, 2011 at 3:48 pm |

My personal favorite growing up-

Harper’s II Gentlemen’s Club and Exotic Car Wash

Greensboro, NC

• NickV | July 4, 2011 at 5:28 pm |

My favorite multi-use building growing up was the operational Funeral Parlor that had the SnowBall Stand built into the front on the ground floor – on Elysian Fields Ave. in New Orleans. Until recently, the same building was the ACORN National HQ – until the outfit was exposed and dissolved ….

• Craig D. | July 4, 2011 at 9:27 am |

Big thanks to Jefferson, Washington and all the boys in Philly. Also huge thanks to all the farmers,blacksmiths, carpenters and everyone else that picked up a musket and put literally everything they had on the line to secure our independance and the way of life we all enjoy. Thank you to all the men, women and even children who have fought and/or helped those that fought in the 235 years since to protect the freedoms we hold dear. Here’s to another 235 and more. (BTW America….you dont look a day over 215)

• The Jeff | July 4, 2011 at 9:30 am |

…and thanks to the redneck crop duster who sacrificed himself to destroy that alien ship…. er, wait…wrong independence day…

• Ricko | July 4, 2011 at 12:07 pm |

“Is that glass bulletproof?”

Great, great line. Because you know what’s coming.

• LI Phil | July 4, 2011 at 12:13 pm |

we can’t be consumed by our petty differences anymore…we will be united in our common interests

perhaps it’s fate that today is the fourth of july, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom…not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution…but from annihilation

we are fighting for our right to live…to exist…and should we win the day, the fourth of july will no longer be known as an american holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice “we will not go quietly into the night!”

we will not vanish without a fight!…we’re going to live on…we’re going to survive…today we celebrate our independence day!

• LI Phil | July 4, 2011 at 9:28 am |

teh MLB really needs to swap their S&S trucker caps for this special cap today

/just sayin’

• JTH | July 4, 2011 at 9:32 am |

I’d actually pay money for a Cubs ticket if they were giving those away at the game.

• Matt Beahan | July 4, 2011 at 10:09 am |

Happy America day, Americans!

Oh, and we let you win….:b

• brendan | July 4, 2011 at 3:35 pm |

HAHA, you dumb brits. you let us win? we even had a rat in the house and you still couldnt win. ireland forever.

• brendan | July 4, 2011 at 3:35 pm |

AND AMERICA. HOME OF THE BRAVE.

• Scott | July 4, 2011 at 11:11 pm |

That’s Atlanta, home of the Braves.

• Mark in Shiga | July 4, 2011 at 10:53 am |

The Trenton Thunder get into the spirit with these ludicrously garish uniforms.

The loud flag motif is almost enough to distract your yes from the massively oversized gap between the collar and the jersey number.

Almost.

• The Jeff | July 4, 2011 at 11:10 am |

Those are really horrible for any normal team to use, but I’d love to see it as a summer olympics uniform.

• LI Phil | July 4, 2011 at 11:35 am |

Those are really horrible for any normal team to use, but I’d love to see it including a summer special olympics uniform.

(fixed)

• Ricko | July 4, 2011 at 11:44 am |

They need matching pants.
          Y’know, to get away from the softball look.

• Kyle | July 4, 2011 at 4:30 pm |

looks like Jeter is too big time to cuff his pants like the rest of the team

• Ricko | July 4, 2011 at 11:38 am |

Have a great 4th, everyone.

Can’t speak for anyone but myself, but I’d sure like to be at rpm’s (aka moose) BBQ today.

• Cort McMurray | July 4, 2011 at 11:47 am |

This isn’t really germain to this website, but I don’t know where else to mention it. I’m stuck at work today. It’s quiet, and I’m watching garbage on Hulu to keep me company. So I’ve noticed that the logo for The Marriage Ref — light blue background, “Marriage” in gold, “Ref” in silver, “The” in a swirly cursive script — bears an uncanny resemblance to the cover of “Gold and Plantimun”, the Lynyrd Skynyrd greatest hits album.

• Keith S | July 4, 2011 at 11:50 am |

Happy Birthday America!

I think I’m going to start a grassroots effort to have MLB switch from the S&S caps on the weekend of the 4th, to the patriotic stirrups Paul linked to…which I can only assume belong to Phil.

• Ricko | July 4, 2011 at 11:59 am |

The sound we would hear would be 700+ MLBers saying,
      “Wait a minute, stirrups are part of the uniform? Since when? Doesn’t say anything about them on the chart in the clubhouse.”

There’s a question for Paul to investigate:
      Why is it called “the clubhouse” in baseball, when just about everywhere else it’s a “locker room”? Even in golf, there’s a locker room IN the clubhouse.

I’m guessing it springs from the long-ago concept of a “baseball club”.

• LI Phil | July 4, 2011 at 12:04 pm |

“the patriotic stirrups Paul linked to…which I can only assume belong to Phil.”

~~~

while i do have a pair, those are paul’s…at least i’m pretty sure they are

• JamesP. | July 4, 2011 at 12:30 pm |

Could be Moose’s…

• moose | July 4, 2011 at 3:35 pm |

eeeeveryone had a chance to get them. amerks from 1 or 2 years ago? and white this year’s did not come in on time, they will be nice in the rotation too.

• JTH | July 4, 2011 at 10:25 pm |

Yep. Everyone had the chance.

Here are mine. And here’s a terrible action shot of me wearing them.

And I’m shocked that this year’s batch didn’t get to us in time.

• LI Phil | July 4, 2011 at 10:32 pm |

“I’m shocked that this year’s batch didn’t get to us in time”

~~~

yeah…tck never fucks shit up

• JamesP. | July 4, 2011 at 12:28 pm |

Happy Birthday, USA!

And much to my wife’s eye-rolling, I even have on the correct stirrups: http://s313.photobuc...

• MoosoneeSteve | July 4, 2011 at 2:26 pm |

I’d just like to ask a question to my neighbours to the south. When I was at the Blue Jays game on Canada Day, the Jays wore their Canada caps, but the Phillies wore their regular game caps. Today, in Boston, the Red Sox are wearing their stars and stripes hats (of course), but the Jays are wearing their Canada caps again. Not that it’s a big deal, but shouldn’t we be given the same love on our national holiday?

• MoosoneeSteve | July 4, 2011 at 2:27 pm |

Just noticed that my post was one long paragraph. Forgive me, I’m off work for the summer.

• RP (in Virginia) | July 4, 2011 at 3:46 pm |

Agreed. Let Toronto celebrate Canada Day and let the other teams celebrate July 4th — I did a doubletake when I saw the stars & stripes hats on the Blue Jays today.

• JTH | July 4, 2011 at 10:11 pm |

Stars & stripes? No. They’re stupid, but they’re not that stupid.

• Dan Holway | July 4, 2011 at 5:07 pm |

That red and white cap with the black jersey is one of the worst uniform combos I’ve ever seen.

• BurghFan | July 4, 2011 at 2:30 pm |

A holiday special:

Four guys in uniform.

• Ryan S. | July 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm |

It appears that the All Star game jerseys will also have the snakeskin pattern on the numbers as well. [url=National League Jersey]http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11679191&cp=1452620.1736004[/url]
    Can’t find a good up close picture though…

• moose | July 4, 2011 at 4:41 pm |

live in the devil’s jocks strap, er, kansas city? well, everyone here is family, even jeff, so if you don’t have anything to do, and live near gillham park, feel free to stop by, 4141 holmes, i will have plenty of food, but you better bring booze or beer. /end run on, signing off.

• chuck | July 4, 2011 at 7:20 pm |

Tribe wearing their alt tops tonight. They just showed a clip of Lonnie Chisenhall dressed in the wrong jersey before the game, it was a white version of the alts. I did not know they had two versions, white and cream, of the alts. Anyone know anything about the different alts here?

• John Saiz | July 4, 2011 at 7:45 pm |

Thanks for the music link, Paul, never heard that one before.

Vinyl mixed down to 240p makes for an interesting sound quality, reminds me almost of how my punk cassettes sounded after I’d listened to them for the 300th time.

• Ricko | July 4, 2011 at 10:44 pm |

Pirates a game and a half out!!!

And McCutcheon ain’t gonna be in Phoenix?

Said it before. I have no special soft spot for them, but it will be good for MLB if the Pirates become relevant again. Long-time franchises shouldn’t stay in the stinkhole for too long. Just not good for the game.

(Totally unrelated: Damn, I hate this Holiday Hat shit. They all suck, but this year’s version especially; from the front they all look almost alike.)

• Lew Holst | July 4, 2011 at 11:12 pm |

What a way to honor America on July 4th – the new LA Galaxy navy and gold alternate kits not only have a navy and gold MLS logo to match, but the US flag on the left shoulder is also rendered in only navy and gold…

Unbelievable!