Auction Action

Screen shot 2011-04-23 at 2.40.52 PM.png

As you may have noticed in the right sidebar, our friends at Grey Flannel Auctions are running another auction at the moment. Here are some of the more uni-notable items:

• Gotta love this John Wooden UCLA hoops jacket (additional photos and info in the full auction listing.

• This auction has an unusually good batch of old ABA items, including a bunch of late-’60s radio and TV guides, a New Jersey Americans ticket stub and program, and a nice batch of early-’70s stubs.

• You already knew that “The City” was the best NBA jersey design ever. What you might not have known is that the design was executed with spectacular chain-stitching (full listing).

• I didn’t know that the Nuggets had worn a green St. Paddy’s Day uni in the early 1980s (full listing).

• If you like championship bling, check out this set of Super Bowl I cufflinks (full listing) and this 1965 Packers pendant (full listing).

• More bling: a lapel pin from the first game at Forbes Field (full listing).

• I never knew that the Chargers wore such piddly-looking NOBs in 1967. According to the auction description, the lettering was screen-printed directly onto the jersey — i.e., no nameplate, no sewing. Interesting.

• As a varsity jacket fan, I’m totally digging this old Syracuse jacket. The gold feather-edging on the stripes really puts it over the top (full listing).

• I love the simplicity of this college all-star stadium blanket (full listing).

• I can never get enough of those old striped Princeton sleeves (full listing).

• Check this out: a set of 1920s football shoes with wooden cleats (full listing).

• I bet this is a gold mine: a set of old Baltimore Colts programs.

• Speaking of programs, look at this completely amazing Cardinals scorecard cover illo (full listing).

• I’m always intrigued by ushers’ uniforms. Here’s one from the Milwaukee Braves (full listing), plus an usher’s cap from the Orioles (full listing).

• Here’s something you rarely see: a 1976 National League All-Star pillbox BP cap (full listing).

• Man, those sleeve logos worn by the 1933 Dodgers sure were huge (full listing).

Want to see more? You can browse through the entire auction here.

flag.jpg

Travel hint: City flags are often really interesting, and really under-recognized. Case in point: In about 10 days I’m going to be working on an ESPN story in the city whose flag is shown at right. Anyone know what city that is? (No fair raising your hand if you already live there — give everyone else a chance.) Answer, and Uni Watch party plans, forthcoming tomorrow.

Uni Watch News Ticker: The Ducks have their own playoff logo (thanks, RyCo). … Liverpool is reportedly moving away from Adidas (with thanks to Patrick Runge). … Good story about Hank Aaron and his rookie jersey (with thanks to Brian Lorello). … The U.S. military is testing a new combat uniform for women (with thanks to Kenn Tomasch). … Meat alert: Mike Hersh sent me this completely awesome UK pork butchery chart. I’m not sure which I like better — that the very dead-looking head is helpfully labeled, “Head,” or the name of the cut just below it. … Continuing down the protein path, Mike also sent me this item about a London butcher shop that I need to visit, like, yesterday. Oink! … Most MLBers just write their uni number on the knob of their bats with a marker. But Scott Hauck notes that Jerry Sands has a much more official-looking designation on his bat. … Roger Faso spotted something interesting: McGwire and Canseco wearing sansabelt pants paired with button-front jerseys — a pairing that I don’t think any Oakland team ever wore. … Totally digging this baseball jersey from a fishing tackle company. Too bad it’s too big for me, or else I’d be all over it. … New gridiron design for Kansas State. “Can’t believe they didn’t go with purple turf,” says Jack Wilson. … Here’s a weird one: Kyle Mackie was at a Cal/ASU ballgame and spotted someone wearing an ASU cap with a backwards New Era logo. … Speaking of backwards, that’s how Paul Pierce was wearing his shooting shirt on Friday night (good spot by Matt Harris). … Reeeaally interesting article about how merit decals may influence performance (big thanks to Josh Neisler). … Here’s something you rarely see available for sale: a U.S. team handball jersey. … Mark Prusinski noticed something in this TCU photo. “The thing that struck me as odd was that the jock tag reads ‘M’ for medium,” he says. “I always thought that actual player jerseys were in numbered sizes.” Me too. Anyone..? … Dennis Healy has created a bunch of retro MLB wallpapers. … Matthew Hiett notes that ESPN misspelled Philips Arena on Friday night. … The Japanese National Table Tennis team has added a tsunami memorial strip on their chest. According to Jeremy Brahm, “Wasurenai 3.11” means “Cannot forget.” … Also from Jeremy: “Sumo wrestlers normally wear a kimono when they are not in a tournament or on the way there. But look at Hakuho — he has an Under Armour-patterned kimono. This just makes him look desperate for cash. I am sure that they are going to sell like one of these ever. Just dumb.” … Hadn’t seen these NHL baseball jerseys until Casey Gross pointed them out to me. … Chad Todd found a bunch of cool illos of 1970s MLBers. … This has probably come up before, but I can’t believe St. Cloud gets away with — or would want to get away with — using this logo. Honestly, what do these schools see in these derivative rip-off logos? Why not have something all your own, something you can be proud of for its own sake? I don’t get it. … O’s pitcher Jeremy Guthrie — a fairly environmentally aware athlete who bikes to work — got himself a green glove for Earth Day. Not sure if he’ll use it in a game, but he’s due to pitch this week against the Red Sox, so we’ll find out soon (with thanks to Samm McAlear). … No photo, but a good NHL observation from Charles Neiswender: “I’m Watching the Penguins/Lightning playoff game, and during a face-off they had a close-up of Alexei Kovalev’s skates.They show number 27, his long-time uniform number, even though he wears 72 now with Pens.” … Dan Cichalski came across a photo of Notre Dame and Nebraska going color vs. color in 1947. … Take a look at this graphic about the physics of short pitchers vs. tall pitchers. Interesting that they depicted the tall guy as being high-cuffed while the short guy is pajama-pantsed. … Anthony Congi has DIY’d himself an interesting MLB standings tracker. You can click through his step-by-step process by starting on the first thumbnail here. … Latest team to play military dress-up: UVA baseball (as noted by Kevin Zdancewicz). … In a related item, Ohio State football wore G.I. Joe helmets for their spring game. … You probably know that all American League teams wore a golden anniversary sleeve patch in 1951. But 1951 was also the 50th anniversary of the National Association, which I believe was an umbrella organization for all of the minor leagues (big thanks to Mike Hersh). … Why no, I don’t think Nike goes overboard on the logo creep, do you? Whatta bunch of douchebags (as noted by Dan Erhardt). … “I know it’s only spring football, but I a lot of Trojans wearing black socks for their spring scrimmage, compared to the white they’ve normally worn,” says Kyle Mackie. “Might just be a spring thing, or might be a sign of black socks on the Trojans come fall.” … Chicago-area high school softball kerfuffle, as several schools are trying to protect their new turf fields by banning metal spikes, which are specifically allowed by local league rules (with thanks to Mike McLaughlin). … It had been a while since I looked for stuff on Etsy — just kinda fell out of the habit — but I poked around over the weekend and found myself a swell softball jersey, a sharp-looking UCLA-striped football shirt, and a nice baseball undershirt. … Latest player to violate MLB’s ban on pant cuffs hooked over shoe heels: Frankie Rodriguez. … Rob Heubeck was watching Game 5 of the 1970 World Series and noticed that Merv Rettenmund and Brooksie both had blank batting helmets. … Here’s a different kind of logo rip-off. Keith Thibault spotted that while on vacation in St. Thomas. … Terry O’Donohue notes that Nick Swisher went high-cuffed yesterday. … More tsunami armbands, this time in the J-League (thanks, Jeremy). … “The 7 on Matt Ellis’s chest looks a bit off,” notes Ryan Mandel. “That’s because it’s the font used on the team’s old Buffaslug jerseys.” … A high school high-jumper in Pennsylvania was wearing some zebra-print socks the other day (with thanks to Jim Roddy).

127 comments to Auction Action

• Bryan Redemske | April 25, 2011 at 7:49 am |

Jose Canseco wore those pants in 1985 and 1986. McGwire wore them in 1986.

• Bouj | April 25, 2011 at 9:15 am |

Yeah, but the button-fronts didn’t come until 1987, so the pic had to be some promotional shot from Spring Training 1987.

Paul’s point is that the A’s never wore that combo. The button-fronts came into use in 1987 with belted pants. So it’s 1986 pants and 1987 jerseys int hat pic.

• John English | April 26, 2011 at 2:21 pm |

Exactly. Certainly wasnt ever worn on-field. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if there was some sort of airbrushing to make the jerseys current, and they just forgot the pants change.

• James | April 25, 2011 at 7:56 am |

Has there ever been any discussion in any leagues about requiring teams to wear only their official home/road uniforms in the playoffs? Seeing the Magic and Sharks in their BFBS this weekend made me cringe.

• Ry Co 40 | April 25, 2011 at 9:41 am |

the ducks wore their ugly “D” jersey (rather than wearing their uglier “home” jersey)

• Teebz | April 25, 2011 at 12:11 pm |

We don’t have to worry about seeing those again, RyCo. Nashville took care of that problem. :o)

• Andy | April 25, 2011 at 5:00 pm |

Black has been in integral part of the Magic’s identity since the beginning. Their alternate is not black for black’s sake.

• Jeff P | April 25, 2011 at 8:38 pm |

The NHL at least makes teams stick with one jersey set. Which means the sharks are in those monstrosities as late as they go.

I usually root for them in the playoffs, since I feel that they really deserve a bit of success, but that choice singlehandedly is making me root for their being bounced in the first round.

This isn’t a case where I’m concerned about BFBS though. the bigger issue for me is the wearing of alts as primary jerseys. If a team is planning on turning that alt into their primary soon, I’m perfectly fine with it. I was happy to see the Kings go with the blacks this year and last year. I was delighted to see the Flyers go with the Orange. Dallas using their star alts in their cup year was fine. But if the Bruins wore their alts, as there were whispers about, or if the pens wore theirs, I would be upset. Wear your colors, damnit. Especally if your alt sucks as much as San Jose’s does.

• The Jeff | April 25, 2011 at 8:17 am |

You already knew that “The City” was the best NBA jersey design ever.

Wait, what? o_O

• Mike C | April 25, 2011 at 8:21 am |

St. Louis. And I live in Azerbaijan, so hopefully I can answer.

• Aaron | April 25, 2011 at 9:54 am |

I figured I was much too late. But I think Indiana is a little closer than Azerbaijan.

• ClubMedSux | April 25, 2011 at 10:36 am |

I travel to St. Louis fairly regularly and the last time I was there the waitress at a small brewpub had fleur-de-lis earrings on. When I asked her about them she told me all about the flag and St. Louis iconography. As a Chicagoan I’m lucky to have one of the great city flags that’s actually undergone a bit of a renaissance in terms of local design (almost to the point of becoming cliche, sadly). I think any city with a distinctive flag like that is a fool not to embrace it.

• Broadway Connie | April 25, 2011 at 11:06 am |

Teacher, teacher! My hand’s up! Don’t call on those guys! …. Darn it.

So what are some other cool city flags? Or insignia, for that matter? Paul obviously has a few up his sleeve. Here’s a starter list:

** Chicago
        ** DC
        ** NYC
        ** Paris (cute little ship, red & blue)
        ** Rome (she-wolf suckling Rom & Rem)

Otherwise, I’m stumped. I know quite a few place where city flags are *interesting,* but maybe not so good-looking. The Swiss cantons (do they count?) include some good lookers (bears and oxen and such). Ditto some Irish counties and Spanish provinces, but cities? Help, please.

PS Awesome rundown of the Gray Flannel auction items, Paul. You’re right to swoon over the Wooden, the Syracuse, and the Princeton. I hate hate hate Princeton, but that jersey may be the greatest ever.

• DJ | April 25, 2011 at 12:05 pm |

Japanese prefectural flags are fantastic.

• Broadway Connie | April 25, 2011 at 12:36 pm |

Yeah, those ARE good.

• RS Rogers | April 25, 2011 at 12:55 pm |

Montreal and Amsterdam have good ones, too. Here’s a decent list of city flags around the world.

Chicago and DC are my favorites, aesthetically, but I’m not sure there’s a good argument to be made against St. Louis as the best of the lot. With DC & Chicago, if you didn’t already know what city they represented, you’d never guess just by seeing the flag. St. Louis, on the other hand, is pretty easy to tease out if you know even a little bit about American history or geography.

• RS Rogers | April 25, 2011 at 12:59 pm |

And here’s a list of municipal flags ranked by members of the North American Vexillological Association. Which raises a broader point: if the fancy word for “flag geekdom” is vexillology, what would be the fancy word for uni-watching?

• RS Rogers | April 25, 2011 at 1:04 pm |

Wow, looking at that NAVA survey, it’s kind of personally shocking how many of my favorite places have terrible, awful flags. Maui, Rapid City, Cedar Rapids, Huntington, Milwaukee … Although Milwaukee’s flag is overpoweringly bad in such a particular way that it’s actually kind of awesome. It’s like the rainbow-gut Astros of city flags.

• Aaron | April 25, 2011 at 1:04 pm |

I haven’t checked Rogers’ list, but I’ve always liked Indy’s flag. I don’t know the history necessarily, but I think it hints towards Monument Circle.

• Broadway Connie | April 25, 2011 at 1:34 pm |

Great stuff, Scott, thanks.

You’re sure right about Amsterdam. Wonderful. As a fan of the lily, I kinda wish that Montreal didn’t give equal time to the rose and thistle, but the shamrock (of course!) is superb.

The rankings of the US city flags is fun, though in general, appreciation for unsuspected jewels (Wichita, Oakland) is outweighed by overall disappointment. As an aggregate, I suppose they’re better than US state flags, but that ain’t sayin’ much…

• RS Rogers | April 25, 2011 at 1:41 pm |

Our state flags are pretty terrible. There was a push a while back to give Minnesota a beautiful new flag. Yet another bit of evidence for my Twins-should-wear-blue-and-green hobbyhorse.

It’s funny; most of the cities I’ve ever lived in have decent flags (Chicago, DC, Madison, Minneapolis, to name the best-beflagged) but of all the states I’ve lived in, only Iowa has a flag that doesn’t suck.

• Chance Michaels | April 25, 2011 at 2:06 pm |

Yep. Right there, fourth from the bottom, Milwaukee’s mess of a flag.

Hey, at least County Stadium lives on!

The Milwaukee Arts Board had a contest about a dozen years ago to design a new city flag. They forwarded the finalists on to the Common Council, but nothing ever came of it. I have my entry somewhere, I’ll see if I can find it.

• Thornus | April 25, 2011 at 3:25 pm |

What has always hurt about half of the US state flags is that they follow the common trend of “state seal on a field of blue.” It makes it almost impossible to tell which flag is which at a quick glance without reading the seal or being exceedingly anal and knowing which random shade of blue belongs to which state. Just take a look at that.

Flags are my geekdom, much more so than uniforms. It’s just so disappointing how uninspired many of the state flags are.

• pushbutton | April 25, 2011 at 4:21 pm |

That Milwaukee flag is like watching a movie. I swear I saw the ‘ball-in-glove’ logo in there.

• Dane | April 25, 2011 at 8:33 am |

NHL Baseball Jerseys: And since they are from Majestic, that means you can not have the name of any current or former player or coach added to the back of the jersey.

For that price, just buy an actual hockey jersey.

• Ry Co 40 | April 25, 2011 at 9:43 am |

NHL Baseball Jerseys: uninspired garbage

• Bernard | April 25, 2011 at 10:07 am |

Indeed, but it’s kinda nice to see baseball jerseys that say “Rangers” and “Senators” again. ;)

• The Jeff | April 25, 2011 at 10:15 am |

Indeed.

…and no, I’m not planning on doing any NHL concepts any time soon.

• ClubMedSux | April 25, 2011 at 10:49 am |

According to the description: “…this NHL Replica Baseball Jersey screams, die-hard Blackhawks fan.”

While I disagreed with Paul’s statement that anybody who buys a $200 jersey is stupid, I’ll concede that the proper description for the NHL baseball jersey is that it screams “moron.”

• Jeff P | April 25, 2011 at 8:51 pm |

Eh, it’s for somebody who wants something a little more wearable then a hockey jersey that’s not a tee shirt.

Hockey jerseys are beautiful on the ice, but they look much better on a wall then worn by fans. They look weird when too baggy, and they look weird when worn by a person without pads. Which is fine for going to a game, but if you’re interested in everyday attire that shows team support and doesn’t make you look like a moron, something like that could be a nice option.

• Rob S | April 25, 2011 at 8:37 am |

Too bad for the Ducks they won’t get much mileage out of that playoff logo…

• riceboyler | April 25, 2011 at 9:17 am |

As a Predhead, I’m thankful that somebody beat me to the punch!

Good looking, but now worthless, playoff logo. Go Preds!

• ClubMedSux | April 25, 2011 at 10:43 am |

I was going to say… “The Ducks HAD their own playoff logo” would be more accurate.

• Buddy Walker | April 25, 2011 at 3:28 pm |

I don’t think anyone would mind if the Preds went with their alternate sweaters.

Also, I’m pleased with the love for the Predators in the comments today. Wasn’t expecting their win to be commented on so many times.

• ck | April 25, 2011 at 8:47 am |

St. Cloud State has been using that logo for 25 years – Herb Brooks first used it for the hockey team when he served a year as St. Cloud State’s coach in 1986-1987. I recall hearing that Brooks was intentionally using the famed Canadiens logo as a model to help create a new image for the school’s hockey program, which was moving from Division III to Division I. The rest of the teams picked it up, and they’ve been using it since then. So they do get points for consistency if not originality.

• odessasteps | April 25, 2011 at 2:55 pm |

I was going to say that I’ve seen that logo for over 20 years. First time I remember seeing it when I starting buying hockey sweaters in the early 90s.

I think it’s a good logo and the swaeters have a good colour scheme too.

• Mark in Shiga | April 25, 2011 at 8:54 am |

Not to belittle Jeremy, because he makes an insane amonut of great contributions to this site, but I’ve got to make a small nitpick: wasurenai in wasurenai 3.11 literally means “do not forget”, as in “(we) do not forget”, not “cannot forget”. “We will not forget” would be OK too, as there isn’t a specific form to indicate the future tense. I would probably use “we will not forget” if I were working for the team and had to prepare an official translation.

• LI Phil | April 25, 2011 at 8:58 am |

words cannot adequately explain this

and are the four thumbnails beneath that the “recently viewed”?

• Eddie | April 25, 2011 at 8:56 am |

The Nike football jerseys (and pants) have been labeled S,M,L,XL,2X for awhile now, at least 8 years that I know of. As you can imagine, most skill players go for S and M, and the bigger guys L and XL. I have personally only met two players who wore an XL, and they were lineman tipping the scales at over 350. Nike also does sizes this way with the Henley baseball jerseys.

• Bouj | April 25, 2011 at 9:11 am |

I’ve seen this before. Nike makes their college football jerseys in lettered sizes. I have a gameworn Nike football jersey from my alma mater (Texas A&M-Kingsville), and it’s a L, not a 44 (I think that’s what L would correspond to).

• Tom | April 25, 2011 at 9:09 am |

Swisher actually went back to the pajama pants look about halfway through the game…don’t have a pic though

• Coleman | April 25, 2011 at 9:36 am |

Swisher knows better and I hate to see him be influenced like that. He always went high cuffed in high school, I know because I played against him. Terrible name drop huh? I have no shame I tell ya.

• Ricko | April 25, 2011 at 10:45 am |

Well, yes, why would your first hand knowledge offer us anything of value. ;)

• Coleman | April 25, 2011 at 10:52 am |

Ha! You make a good point Ricko, as usual.

For the record in that case, Nick was an insanely good high school player, really a man amongst boys. I guess it shouldn’t come as any surprise.

• Broadway Connie | April 25, 2011 at 11:12 am |

What?!

Someone on this site (besides Jerry Reuss) was a star? Don’t do the false-modesty thing, Coleman. We are not buying that Man Amongst Boys nonsense. Full-uniform photos, please.

• Coleman | April 25, 2011 at 11:31 am |

Not a chance Connie! I’d have to have my mother dig them up anyway. At least that’ll be my excuse. Sadly my high school didn’t wear the ‘rups either. We did properly blouse though, always.

Interesting uni note about my high school: we were called the Blue Devils but our colors were Purple and Gold. Better yet the town is called St. Marys. That’s right, the St. Marys Blue Devils!

• Broadway Connie | April 25, 2011 at 11:50 am |

Just checked out your hometown on Wiki, Coleman. Wow. Pretty cool, isn’t it, that New York and St Marys are in the same country?

• Coleman | April 25, 2011 at 11:57 am |

Do you mean because they’re such polar opposites? That’s what I’m getting from it anyway, please correct me if you know something I don’t (a great deal I’m sure!).

Also, did you notice the train tracks that go straight down Main Street? Yeah, I lived there, and the trains still go through at least 3-4 times a day. Get stuck on the wrong side and you’re late for school… Bummer ;)

• LI Phil | April 25, 2011 at 12:29 pm |

so mr. mullins … i feel your status accords the more formal title…

which side of the tracks did you live on?

• Coleman | April 25, 2011 at 12:34 pm |

First of all, my Father would be Mr. Mullins, but thank you kindly for the compliment. Secondly, I must admit I lived on the “wrong” side. Even if the train was going by I could still get to school. Not many of my teachers knew that though ;)

• Coleman | April 25, 2011 at 1:02 pm |

here’s a pic of the tracks, my old house is actually in the far right side with the brick red awning and giant hedges…

And here’s one of a train actually coming through town…

• Jim Vilk | April 26, 2011 at 12:12 am |

Now that’s awesome. I’ve seen streetcars go through towns before, but never a big ol’ diesel like that.

• Broadway Connie | April 25, 2011 at 2:40 pm |

Wonderful.

• SoCalDrew | April 25, 2011 at 6:43 pm |

MORE train pix, please!

• Coleman | April 25, 2011 at 8:43 pm |

Here ya go, these should hold you over, this is the link to the first photo in an album I just put together from pics I found on the web. If you can’t view them all (9 or 10) let me know and I’ll get it fixed. Enjoy!

Man, these pics make me miss that place.

• LI Phil | April 25, 2011 at 11:07 pm |

holy crap!

i never would have believed that if i hadn’t seen the pix…these things come thru 3-4 times A DAY???

how long are those trains? and are they all commercial/freight (for lack of a better word) trains, as opposed to passenger trains?

im guessing the tracks came before the town, but whose genius idea was it to build a town on either side of the tracks??? was their some kind of depot there?

• Coleman | April 26, 2011 at 12:18 am |

Yes Phil, 3-4 times a day. They come through all through the night too. You know how sound machines have the locomotive sound? And everyone thinks “who the hell is going to fall asleep to a locomotive?!” That would be me. I have no trouble falling asleep to that sound thanks to St. Marys.

On the subject of what the trains carry, one word: Coal. Lots and lots of coal. Have you seen the new show on Discovery called, of all things, Coal? That’s filmed in Logan County, if I’m not mistaken, in southern West Virginia.

When it comes to last question, I’ll have to get back to you on that. I’ll talk to my dad, see what he knows, and do some research after finals are over.

• Jim Vilk | April 26, 2011 at 12:25 am |

I need to get me one of those sound machines. Growing up, we were about a half-mile from the tracks, but on a rainy night the low pressure made it sound as if the train was coming down our street. Few sounds are as soothing as rain and trains.

• captincanuck | April 25, 2011 at 9:09 am |

The begging of this video:http://video.redwing... has 2 logos that the Red Wings are using for the playoffs.

• captincanuck | April 25, 2011 at 9:10 am |

make that the second video on that page

• RS Rogers | April 25, 2011 at 9:12 am |

Broken link: “baseball jersey from a fishing tackle company” goes to a secure “my ebay” page, not to the item listing.

• Paul Lukas | April 25, 2011 at 9:23 am |

Thanks. Now fixed. Here’s the proper link (be sure to check out the back of the jersey):

• RS Rogers | April 25, 2011 at 10:08 am |

Thanks! That’s crazy awesome.

• ScottyM | April 25, 2011 at 9:22 am |

Um, in what lifetime was John Wooden a size 44?!

Big fan of his. He was no 44.

Perhaps the sizing was decidedly smaller in those days … or perhaps the listing is inaccurate and it was from another member of his staff?

• LI Phil | April 25, 2011 at 9:25 am |

Big fan of his. He was no 44.

~~~

sounds like a lloyd benson quote about the next POTUS.

• Paul Lukas | April 25, 2011 at 9:30 am |

sounds like a lloyd benson quote about the next POTUS VPOTUS.

~~~~~

Fixed.

• Mike Edgerly | April 25, 2011 at 9:59 am |

Not to be a nit-picker but it was Lloyd Bentsen, not “benson” http://en.wikipedia....

• LI Phil | April 25, 2011 at 10:09 am |

ah yes, mike, correct as usual…that’s what happens when i post before am caffeine

or…perhaps i was just spelling it like a former VPOTUS would…

• captincanuck | April 25, 2011 at 9:35 am |

Texas Tech baseball is wearing throwbacks Tuesday night. http://www.texastech...

• Flip | April 25, 2011 at 9:42 am |

RE: SoCal spring football. Alas, black socks in any sport are worse than pajama pants in baseball.My have the mighty fallen.

• Jet | April 25, 2011 at 9:45 am |

In that auction listing of Colts programs
    there’s one that appears to be from 1948, if I make out the date correctly, and the teams are the Colts and Los Angeles DONS. Dons? Never heard this name before. Any insight?

-Jet

• Coleman | April 25, 2011 at 9:51 am |

It’s no first-hand knowledge, but it might help…

• Jet | April 25, 2011 at 9:53 am |

Thanks! Wow, so they were only around for 4 seasons. Thought it might have been the Rams franchise with a different name for a few season.

-Jet

• The Jeff | April 25, 2011 at 9:59 am |

As for the name itself, it’s a reference to the Spanish Conquistadors. I believe it was a title they used for themselves, kinda like Lord or Sir.

• Ricko | April 25, 2011 at 10:44 am |

The Dons had goofy helmets.

We don’t get “Los Angeles Dons”?
        What, nobody’s ever seen a Zorro movie?

Then again, back then they probably didn’t give a shit of anyone in New Jersey knew what it meant. Their task was to appeal to Southern Californians.

• Ricko | April 25, 2011 at 10:53 am |

This logo, she is very much making me think of Bucco Bruce, no?

• Ricko | April 25, 2011 at 10:56 am |

Well didn’t have goofy helments every year.
          Here’s Ben Agajanian in his Dons uni, with a not-goofy helmet…

• Ricko | April 25, 2011 at 10:59 am |

Well, this is cool…

At least one season the Dons wore multi-striped helmets, all emating from a point at the top to the helmet. White helmet, dark stripes. From above, it would have looked like an asterisk (can’t find a photo).

Is University of San Francisco the Dons?

• Gusto44 | April 25, 2011 at 11:04 am |

Of course, the University of San Francisco Dons were at one time, a force in football and basketball. They had a hoops team led by Bill Cartwright in the 70s who were unbeaten late in the season before losing to Notre Dame.

Also, the name Conquistadors brings back memories of the San Diego ABA squad. I think one uniform had the name Q’s on it, Wilt Chamberlain was the coach one season. Wilt wanted to play for the Q’s, and it would have been a boost for the ABA, but was prevented from doing so because of his old NBA contract.

• Ricko | April 25, 2011 at 11:05 am |

The road whites…

• Ricko | April 25, 2011 at 11:09 am |

San Francisco Dons had a helluva football team, led by the recently departed Ollie Matson. Similar stories are told of East Coast teams getting this kind of treatment, but this one remains largely forgotten outside the Pacific Time Zone…

• LI Phil | April 25, 2011 at 10:56 am |

while THE jeff is essentially correct (wait, what?)…

“don” predates the conquistadors

you may have heard of “don quixote” or “don diego” …

the always reliable wiki describes it thusly:

Although originally a title reserved for royalty, select nobles, and church hierarchs, it is now often used as a mark of esteem for a person of personal, social or official distinction, such as a community leader of long standing, a person of significant wealth, or a noble, but may also be used ironically. As a style, rather than a title or rank, it is used with, and not instead of, a person’s name.

don also can be used to describe mafioso, as in “don vito corleone”

• Jet | April 25, 2011 at 9:51 am |

Paul, that butcher chart also has a piece labeled “hand” ???

-Jet

• NickW | April 25, 2011 at 9:59 am |

Any chance of a UniWatch gathering when you’re in the city with the awesome flag?

• JamesP. | April 25, 2011 at 10:15 am |

I do believe that is what he is planning on doing tomorrow.

I hope to attend this one. :-)

• josh's twin | April 25, 2011 at 10:12 am |

I’d seen Brooks’ blank helmet before, and always thought it had something to do with the short brim. Seeing Rettenmund’s now makes me wonder if it has something to do with both lids being flapped, which was still very uncommon in 1970.

• Ricko | April 25, 2011 at 3:19 pm |

Remembering those helmets, I recall wondering at the time if, because they were not standard issue, but rather custom made, they weren’t allowed to have the “official” helmet decal.

Don’t know. But that’s what one theory at time.

Or, maybe simply it was becauase they weren’t mass produced (and quite possibly “home-painted”), and getting a decal applied that wouldn’t chip was a bitch.

• GoGrizz | April 25, 2011 at 10:21 am |

Hey, I was watching the Vanderbilt-LSU baseball game the other day.

Vandy was wearing orange and navy blue. Seemed odd to me.

• Ben | April 25, 2011 at 5:30 pm |

I thought it was orange and blue as well. It was actually Red, White, and Blue as part of some patriotic, support the military thing.

• Ben | April 25, 2011 at 5:37 pm |

Actually, I just looked into it more, and according to the team’s official Twitter account, they actually wear these uniforms every home Sunday game.

• Coleman | April 25, 2011 at 10:28 am |

Some WVU players’ helmets have a white stripe down the center during spring practice. I’m not yet sure what purpose they serve, if any.

The image is the #2 story in the main slideshow.

• Coleman | April 25, 2011 at 10:32 am |

Better image here, with the gold shoes to boot ;)

• Coleman | April 25, 2011 at 11:25 am |

Okay, found the answer to my own question…

“Those stripes are a Dave Lockwood thing. He puts them on DB helmets to help him see where their eyes are during practice and in film of practice. The line formed by the stripe points in the direction the DB is looking. If a DB peeks into the backfield and gets burned by a receiver, for example, the stripe will give it away.”

Cool idea. I’m sure many coaches do it, but I’m glad to see it at WVU.

• Bernard | April 25, 2011 at 11:40 am |

Coleman – are you heading to Morgantown for this?

Game-worn jerseys for $80, gold cleats for $40…

• Coleman | April 25, 2011 at 12:02 pm |

As great as it would be to snag a Pro Combat helmet, I must admit I can’t swing 400 bucks. Plus I reside in New Orleans now so it’s a bit of a jaunt for something like that. If you go, feel free to get me something!

• Bob Sullivan | April 25, 2011 at 11:24 am |

I’m sure someone has posted this comment before, (I don’t get to see this every day), but can’t they do something for the umps in the throwback games? Maybe it’s a union thing, but it would be great to see the umps in coats and ties in a throwback game.

• RS Rogers | April 25, 2011 at 1:07 pm |

I think the primary issue there is who outfits the umps. Do they have to buy their own gear, or does the league provide them with a certain number of each element in their uni set?

• traxel | April 25, 2011 at 5:50 pm |

I was watching a game recently and the home plate ump (I forget who) had a big logo just below his chin. The announcers said he has his own line of ump gear and many of the umpires get their equipment from him (or his company). Leads me to believe there is not one specific outfitter.

• RS Rogers | April 25, 2011 at 6:55 pm |

Makes sense for protective gear, but what about their pants and shirts? Those seem very consistent from ump to ump.

• Paul Lukas | April 25, 2011 at 7:36 pm |

Joe West. Has his own line of ump gear:

• Jeff P | April 25, 2011 at 9:00 pm |

Ump attire is issued by the league, I believe. I’ve heard interviews with at least one ump where he mentioned something about getting his yearly box full of uniforms from the league.

Though I think there was something about having to get those blazers specially made themselves. Apparently quite pricey due to all the extra features required. Think ridiculously reinforced pockets.

• Logan | April 25, 2011 at 11:35 am |

A couple of things from over the weekend:

Alabama played Florida in softball this weekend. I can’t find a picture but the Florida girls were wearing some nice stirrups. The problem was a big Nike swoosh on the front of the sanis right in the opening of the stirrup.

Second, I was watching a show on draft busts on ESPN. It featured footage of Ron Dayne when he was at Wisconsin and their uniforms were done by Reebok. Did Reebok stop pursuing college contracts once they were awarded the NFL contract?

On a similar note, I was watching the 1994 move Little Giants. One team in the movie is modeled after the Cowboys and their gear is done by Apex. What ever happened to that brand?

• Seth F | April 25, 2011 at 11:47 am |

Did the Florida girls wear their nice stirrups with a nice pair of jorts as well?

• =bg= | April 25, 2011 at 1:12 pm |

Bought by Converse in order to glom onto their NFL license for official footwear, and closed down.

I got so much free Cowboys loot from Apex I coulda opened my own outlet.

• Ferg | April 25, 2011 at 12:04 pm |

Pretty interesting piece on a forgotten “uni” aspect – the stick tape of the Red Wings:

• Ryan | April 25, 2011 at 1:56 pm |

I’m guessing the shorter pitcher in the NY Times graphic was modeled after Tim Collins, the subject of the story associated with the graphic, who wears pajama pants.

• DUDE(A.M.) | April 25, 2011 at 2:02 pm |

oh man, I am pumped. Been waiting for a STL uni gathering

• traxel | April 25, 2011 at 5:54 pm |

Dude, me too. Though I have to drive 130 miles.

• FonzHom | April 25, 2011 at 2:27 pm |

About the bat knob looking official,

The mets have been doing that this year too.

i don’t have a pic off hand but everybody’s bat has a decal on the knob in BLUE with the numbers in ORANGE with a white outline…think the old school bp jerseys.

• Ricko | April 25, 2011 at 3:15 pm |

Good to know the Mets have nice looking knobs.

• SoCalDrew | April 25, 2011 at 6:47 pm |

That’s what she said.

• Dave H | April 25, 2011 at 3:01 pm |

The best part about the St. Louis flag is that it means something – it isn’t just a random design of stars, stripes and seals.

Just by looking at the flag, it took me less than 20 seconds to figure what city it had to be. Brilliant execution.

• Brandon Davis | April 25, 2011 at 3:05 pm |

At least at the D-II level, most of Nike’s jerseys all come in lettered sizes as well — I know specifically it’s that way for basketball, soccer, and softball. I’d have to check and see how the pants and shorts are sized.

• Aaron | April 25, 2011 at 4:03 pm |

Here’s a semi-athletic aesthetic question. Anybody know of a good place that would do custom pool balls? I’m thinking of giving a gift to my alma mater, and it would pretty nice if I could make them Wabash billiards.

• JTH | April 25, 2011 at 4:48 pm |

Swisher wasn’t wearing his socks over his pants again, was he?

Hard to tell from the pic, but it kinda looks that way.

• Felipe | April 25, 2011 at 6:14 pm |

In the letter P, I think it shows the Bills new uniforms in Madden: http://www.youtube.c...

• Mickel | April 25, 2011 at 7:16 pm |

Here’s a new version of the Univ. of Houston posted from many years ago. http://instagr.am/p/...

• Paul Lukas | April 25, 2011 at 7:36 pm |

If you turn on SNY right now, you’ll see one of the Mets/Cubs season-opening games from 2000, played in Tokyo — complete with sleeve and helmet advertising. These were the first regular-season MLB games ever to include uniform ads.

• Ricko | April 25, 2011 at 7:52 pm |

RyCo 40 said, “NHL Baseball Jerseys: uninspired garbage”

I’m waiting for curling-theme basketball shorts.
    I’m thinking the wool might bunch up, though.

• LI Phil | April 26, 2011 at 12:01 am |

It may not be midnight in Kansas City…but it’s midnight in New York

that means…

Marshall Art

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOOSE

• moose | April 26, 2011 at 12:20 am |

you jerk, thanks man.

unfortunately the colossal, the stupendous, the step right up and look and the bearded lady frea, and cringe video of ryco’s ryberto bobble is only in upload queue. and i can’t stop the queue without deleting what is already finished, sooooo i can’t respond with a aaaare you sure you want to associate with me response. buuuut i’ll post it in comment tomorrow in all it’s horrific “glory”. so cathartic breaking shit after 2 months of making shit. as for the occasion you refer to, 1 short of a double john hadl…buh. (nice new to kc reference, eh?)

• moose | April 26, 2011 at 12:28 am |

nice to see i edit just as well as a keith byers.

• Jim Vilk | April 26, 2011 at 12:26 am |

Wow, been a looooong time since you needed that fake ID…

Happy Birthday, man.

• moose | April 26, 2011 at 12:36 am |

thanks jim, but the terminal tower russell earl dent ID from 1234 whatever street was confiscated at jaco’s drice thru in 87. and yes, in my nervousness i said um, address? uh, 1, 2, 3, 4 (whatever street i said). i am not so bright, dimest bulb on the tree.