There's No Service Like Wire Service, Vol. 27

Screen shot 2009-12-29 at 10.06.03 AM.png

I have a big backlog of uni-notable wire photos, so let’s clear out of a bunch of them today. Almost all of these are from the Sporting News archives, and all were submitted by Mike Hersh. At the risk of getting a letter from the Bud Light legal team, here we go:

• This shot of Carmen “Specs” Hill, circa 1918, provides a good view of the Pirates’ front chest pocket.

• Whoa, check out the amazing striped cardigans worn by the San Francisco Seals. That’s Joe D., natch.

• As we noted earlier this week, the Sporting News sponsored its own baseball team back in the mid-1930s. Plus they also had a groovy delivery truck, their own line of baseball books, and spiffy vendors’ outfits.

• Guess there was no mistaking the Cuban team in this 1939 international tournament.

• Speaking of Cuban baseball, what’s going on here? The caption tells the story.

• You don’t often see Jimmie Foxx donning the tools of ignorance. That shot is from 1940.

• Add a new entry to the list of minor league teams that wore shorts: the 1952 El Centro Imperials. According to the caption, they were the second team, after the Hollywood Stars, to go shorts-clad.

• So much to like in this shot. Minor league ball, a cool bus, Wisconsin, and steak!

• Hoo baby, dig this awesome Rochester Royals uni! The Kings need to resurrect that as a throwback, pronto.

• Here’s Sammy Baugh and his New York Titans coaching staff. Not sure I’ve seen that cap before.

• And we’ll wrap up with one color shot, of Bob Jeter of the Packers. I can never get enough of those uni-numbered hats, and I’ll take one of the pullovers, please, too.

Toronto_Blue_Jays_1977.png

Blue Jay Way, continued: In case you missed it yesterday, we had a really good examination of the evolution of the Blue Jays’ 1977 road uni design. One question left unanswered by that investigation was whether the Jays changed their “Toronto” wordmark from split to solid lettering at the end of spring training or after their first road trip. But now reader Cork Gaines has found a photo from the team’s second road game, which was played in Chicago on April 16, 1977. It’s a crummy microfilm image, but it appears to show solid lettering, so it looks like the Jays made the change in time for their first road trip. Great job by everyone to help untangle this history mystery!

mark.png

Bracket contest results: After crunching the numbers, Vince reports that our top five winners are as follows:

1. PYT, by Prashant

2. Yankee Tank’s Bracket, by Adam

3. Barron, by Barron Calvert

4. Spring Training, by Mark

5. Goblue, by Joseph S

These five winners get to choose from the prizes listed here and should get in touch with me to claim their prizes (top winner gets first choice, second place gets next choice, etc.). The prizes not chosen will be offered again for the annual reader-appreciation raffle in December.

My thanks to all who entered, and to Vince for running the contest again.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Good for Tim Lincecum, who went high-cuffed yesterday. But no orange stripes? According to a small item on this page, Lincecum thinks the stripes “make you look shorter, [and] that’s something I don’t need.” … Another day, another Nats snafu. Hell, it’s only the date of Opening Day, no biggie. … Notice any difference between the men’s and women’s NCAA championship T-shirts? Hint: The school sponsored by Adidas didn’t get saddled with logo creep (as noted by Michael Kinney). … A.J. Frey notes that SNY apparently never got the memo about the Ducks changing their name. … Holy moly, look at this amazing old Stall & Dean baseball uniform. Be sure to check out all the photos — so many great details! … And here’s something you rarely see: an old jersey with button-on sleeve attachments. Note the unusual style of the rear yoke, too. … Congrats to our own Robert Marshall, who supplied stirrups for the Visalia Rawhide. Miserable team name notwithstanding, that’s one tremendous jersey. … Here’s an impressively obsessive project: Documenting the Nikes worn by Jerry Seinfeld. “Regardless of what anyone thinks about Nike or Seinfeld, this is pretty cool,” says Shane Enos. “And you have to appreciate the amount of work that had to go into this.” Agreed, on all counts. … Good story about John Buck’s uniform number (with thanks to Tom Mulgrew). … Turns out that that new TCU helmet just a new option, not a replacement. That news is buried within this page. Key passage: “The new set of uniforms and helmet simply provide us with another option on what to wear each game. We now have four sets of uniforms and four different helmets, including our traditional helmet with the Frog, our new one and the two from the Pro Combat series” (with thanks to Chris Mycoskie). … “Decided to go all-out for this year’s Brewers home opener,” writes Jason Loomis. “Then of course the local news media spotted me and mocked me on Twitter. Go figure.” … Here’s a great find: video of the A’s first-ever game wearing the green and gold. Lots of other fun details, too (big thanks to Chris Falvey). … Here’s a beaut: The 49ers are looking for a naming-rights sponsor for a stadium that doesn’t exist (thanks, Brinke). … The Nats were on the road last night, but Brad Dugan notes that Pudge Rodriguez was wearing a red — i.e., home — catcher’s helmet. … Here’s something I never knew: Back in the late 1970s, Vanderbilt baseball wore Pittsburgh Pirates-inspired uniforms (with thanks to Lee Wilds).

191 comments to There’s No Service Like Wire Service, Vol. 27

• Anthony B. | April 7, 2011 at 8:05 am |

Great gallery of the MLS’s inaugural season on their Facebook page. Amazing to see how far uniform design has come in the MLS.

• KT | April 7, 2011 at 12:34 pm |

I have that Mutiny jersey. Tag says “wash with like colors.” I said, “That’s not possible.”

• The Jeff | April 7, 2011 at 8:22 am |

I think it’s official now. The Washington Nationals are making these mistakes intentionally. Why pay for marketing when you can just “accidentally” screw something up and get attention for free?

• Anthony B. | April 7, 2011 at 8:28 am |

Yeah, it’s gotten to the point of being too ridiculous to believe it’s not intentional. There’s no way that many mistakes can be centered on one organization without someone doing it on purpose.

• apk3000 | April 7, 2011 at 9:17 am |

It’s probably more that other media covering teams don’t have a DC Sports Bog equivalent. Steinberg’s beat is the silly side of sports, so you get more jersey fouls, stupid tweets and inane radio interview transcripts than your average paper.

• Kev29 | April 7, 2011 at 1:52 pm |

It’s become an obsession for Steinberg and many others too be on the lookout for spelling mistakes with the Nats. Amazing how much you can catch when you look closely for them. God only knows what people would find if they paid attention to my work.

Among all this fascination with spelling, I’d like to say that the Nats look rather good in their new road caps this week.

• Kev29 | April 7, 2011 at 1:55 pm |

And road helmets

• Hank-SJ | April 7, 2011 at 9:11 am |

Getting free pub by showing they can’t spell their own players’ names or making a calendar is an odd way to do it. But, then again, they are the Nats.

• RS Rogers | April 7, 2011 at 11:47 am |

I’d almost buy this theory, but deliberately mucking with a 9/11 tribute would be just about the single most instantly fireable offense you could do in Washington, DC. The only conceivable worse career moves in this town involve the phrases “dead intern” or “wide stance.”

Still waiting for a Nats player to take the field with a curly-M on his jersey.

• LI Phil | April 7, 2011 at 8:29 am |

what’s with the “we are the champions patch on the shorts?

i thought only baseball teams did this

• Terry Proctor | April 7, 2011 at 8:50 am |

Wanna make something of it, Lawng Eyeland boy? Hey, Western New York gets such little respect we’ve got to brag whenever and wherever we can! LOL

• Adrian | April 7, 2011 at 8:30 am |

Here’s some news about the Blue Jays potential re-branding:

• Michael | April 7, 2011 at 8:34 am |

Am I the only one who thinks this – https://www.mearsonl... – looks like James Franco?

• JimWa | April 7, 2011 at 9:44 am |

Hard to tell with the eyes so wide open, but I certainly see a resemblance.

• Terry Proctor | April 7, 2011 at 8:46 am |

That picture of Joe D. is reversed. Look at the lettering-It’s on the wrong side and backwards.

The opponent for the Havana Sugar Kings on Friday, July 24, 1959 was the Rochester Red Wings. The famous game in which Havana shortstop Leo “Chico” Cardenas and Rochester third-base coach Frank “Bullets” Verdi were shot by stray gunfire from a Cuban soldier drunk on free rum occurred two days later on July 26th.

Hall of Famer Bobby Davies is the Rochester Royal in the picture. After he retired Bobby became a sales rep for Converse Shoe Co. and returned to his native Harrisburg. New York State was part of his territory and we always looked forward to having Bobby visit us at our store. He was a class gentleman. I’m fortunate to have met him.

• Broadway Connie | April 7, 2011 at 9:20 am |

That’s pretty impressive, TP.

• Pete | April 7, 2011 at 8:47 am |

How great is that 1963 White Sox vs. A’s video? Love the perfect stirrups on the players, and everyone’s uniform actually fits. And I enjoyed seeing the fans in coat & ties, with a few fedoras mixed in. Far more sophisticated than the pajama-pants players and t-shirt/cargo shorts fans you’ll see at the park today.

• teenchy | April 7, 2011 at 9:18 am |

Loved that video, especially the parade of instant alibis. The Sox’ sleeve numbers are in place, but the A’s’ big football TV-style numbers had to be pretty novel – and very legible.

The Kennedy administration was in full swing so you start to see a number of men going hatless. Wish I could pin a date on when people started to wear souvenir baseball caps at games; I know they were starting to do it (maybe just kids) by 1968-9.

The reversed Joe D/Seals pic would be a great one for colorizing. Pretty sure those cardigans would be navy and orange striped.

Nats woes continue on field and off; they make it so hard to be a fan. I’m guessing Pudge may not last the season in a playing capacity, so maybe no one sprung for a road set of tools?

• Jet | April 7, 2011 at 12:07 pm |

Oh yes, that is a beautiful video to watch.

Teenchy, I was bugging my dad to buy me souvenir caps at Shea Stadium in 1968/69. In my mind I can still see that big display of hats stacked up, and I’m looking at it bug-eyed, wanting every damn one! I did wind up with a STL and Houston cap and of course and Montreal and San Diego cap the following year! And I wore them to the ballpark, regardless of opponent and the fact that I was a Mets fan…

-Jet

• concealed78 | April 7, 2011 at 10:42 am |

Very cool video & it’s the home opener today! I miss that ballpark terribly.

• Christopher | April 7, 2011 at 1:53 pm |

Yes, indeed… I love the parade at the beginning with all the “excuses as to why we’re not at work” on the cars. Classic stuff.

• Seth H | April 7, 2011 at 8:50 am |

Why be comfortable at a game when you can wear a coat and tie?

• LI Phil | April 7, 2011 at 8:52 am |

good point. why doesn’t everyone just wear sweats to the office/house of worship/baseball diamond?

after all, it’s all about your comfort, innit?

• The Jeff | April 7, 2011 at 8:59 am |

It should be.

• concealed78 | April 7, 2011 at 12:07 pm |

Just a curious question: do you view exercise as discomfort & the taste of vegetables as inconvenient?

Back on the topic at hand, it’s disheartening when people walk around & look like slobs everywhere. The uniform, dress code and suit & tie should be a source of pride and not a burden like today’s ballplayers & people seem to think. “Oh I can’t be bothered to blouse my pants correctly or show any sock or stirrup, so I’ll just wear the pants over my heels scuffing against the dirty ground.”

• The Jeff | April 7, 2011 at 12:30 pm |

Oh you…

There’s a difference between being comfortable and looking like a slob. Why should one need to wear a suit & tie to watch a game? It’s not a formal affair. It’s a game. It’s supposed to be fun, isn’t it?

• Chris Holder | April 7, 2011 at 9:09 am |

Who needs clothes? Maybe in the summer we can all just run around naked.

Or, maybe not.

• Flip | April 7, 2011 at 10:04 am |

Then what would we read about here?

• Chris Holder | April 7, 2011 at 1:47 pm |

Touche. Maybe we could at least wear socks?

• Seth H | April 7, 2011 at 10:00 am |

Excellent point. Clearly the ballpark and a house of worship and an office are identical. I just wish that my synagogue stopped raising the price of beer each year. I also hope that someday I’ll be able to afford a box seat close to the boss’s office at my place of business; until then I’ll sit in the upper deck.

• Chance Michaels | April 7, 2011 at 10:19 am |

House of worship, theatre, ballpark. I rank them together in terms of holiness (and not necessarily in that order).

• LI Phil | April 7, 2011 at 9:13 pm |

just don’t put theatre first

• Aaron | April 7, 2011 at 1:38 pm |

I can say I’ve been to games in a shirt and tie before, pretty recently even. There does seem to be something lost when I see the old footage of crowds at the ball park. But, I would rather see a crowd decked out in team apparel, truth be told. Baseball uniforms should be timeless, but that doesn’t mean all fashion stays still.

• Carl | April 7, 2011 at 8:54 am |

Apologize if I have missed this before, but in the very first photo above (Pirates chest pocket) the players are clearly wearing calf sleeves, not full socks or stirrups. And they are also wearing white ankle socks with a bit of skin seen between the two. Was that common during this time period?

• Paul Lukas | April 7, 2011 at 9:00 am |

I don’t know what you see, but I see stirrups:

• TK | April 7, 2011 at 9:45 am |

Yep, stirrups, but at the top of the stirrup, right below the pant is that a rubber band or a garter holding the sock up?

• LI Phil | April 7, 2011 at 9:11 am |

early stirrups didn’t look like todays’ — specs hill’s rups were in the style worn by scott turner (middle, obviously)

• Seth F | April 7, 2011 at 9:02 am |

The guy in the Brewers uni must be like 8′ tall or maybe he has really short countertops and cabinets in his house. Anybody else curious?

• Broadway Connie | April 7, 2011 at 9:29 am |

“The guy in the Brewers uni…”

He is JASON LOOMIS, and the leading contender for this week’s John James McGurk Award for the finest public demonstration of the obsessions that drive most of the readers of this site. I am not one-tenth gutsy enough (well, maybe “gut” is not the best reference in Jason’s case) to do what Jason did, but I just admire the hell out of him for doing it. Impeccable outfit. Self-aware. Screw those lumpen Twitter jerks.

• Fred | April 7, 2011 at 9:47 am |

Impeccable outfit, but the guy’s probably a bit too portly to do it. I have the same beef with managers, why should Don Zimmer put vaseline on his body to slip into an uniform? If you’re overweight, wear something that fits.

I’m the same guy who think that…large women shouldn’t wear bikinis to the beach. I’ll be chatisized here for being shallow but hey, people can stand to lose weight you know? Healthier for them too.

• jdreyfuss | April 7, 2011 at 10:46 am |

MLB rules say that on field coaches have to wear uniforms. Francona gets around it because of a health problem, but he still has to wear his warmup instead of the uniform top. I remember a story about it a few years ago.

• Seth F | April 7, 2011 at 9:51 am |

Couldn’t agree more…..was just curious as to how he looked so tall?

Great choice of Brewers threads too! I’m just glad the team didn’t go that route, or I might’ve had to watch another game with my Bravos in the horrible navy softball/little league alts.

• Broadway Connie | April 7, 2011 at 10:01 am |

Sorry, guys. I don’t mean to be patronizing, but I think you don’t – in the words of our founder – get it. It doesn’t matter that Jason doesn’t look “good” or that his uni doesn’t “fit.” Those standards might apply in other contexts, but not here. Here someone is making an aesthetic statement that, imo, is amplified by the fact that he is a chubby Midwestern guy with a beard and glasses that has no business whatsoever playing in the major leagues. Jason is a performance artist.

Maybe I seem too abstruse and cutesy, but honestly, I just love that photograph.

• Chance Michaels | April 7, 2011 at 10:21 am |

Bravo, Jason. Well done.

But please tell me all those empty seats mean this was BP or something.

• Aaron | April 7, 2011 at 10:48 am |

Agreed. Three cheers for Jason. It would have been four cheers, but apparently blue stirrups are hard to find.

I really need to get some stirrups.

• Jack | April 7, 2011 at 11:43 am |

The simple fact is that if they make a jersey for Prince Fielder that looks humungous on him, you can find one big enough for anybody.

Then again, he is wearing a throwback and they did wear them tight back then…

• Jet | April 7, 2011 at 12:10 pm |

Too portly???

Why, he was shooting for THIS look, exactly!!

Perfect match!!

-Jet

• Jason Loomis | April 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm |

Greetings all and thx for the comments! I happen to be 6’3″, not 8′ tall. :) And yeah im running about 3 bills. But hey, just showing my love for the crew. Yeah couldnt come up with royal blue stirrups, but the search continues! Thats a size 52 jersey, it matches the pants fit-wise, as the pants dont come any larger than i could find.

Thanks to Broadway Connie! I was of course a popular guy that day, stopped for many pictures with people. And yes that was about 1.5 hours before gametime, hence the empty seats.

• Payton | April 7, 2011 at 9:03 am |

Yes! The Frog lives!

• Chris Holder | April 7, 2011 at 9:11 am |

I know that I, personally, would be excited if my college team was bragging that they now have FOUR helmet options. That’s like… three MORE than just one! Woohoo!

On a serious note, I like the “original” (of the four) frog helmet.

• Flip | April 7, 2011 at 10:07 am |

Conspicuous consumption. Gluttony. (Besides what’s uniform about four choices? Pick one and stick w/ it.)

• Mudvillain | April 7, 2011 at 9:15 am |

The 1939 photo of the Cuban team shows a player wearing a wristband, which I always kind of assumed was a much later (and completely awesome) uni accessory. Anybody know the origins of the wristband?

• Rob Ullman | April 7, 2011 at 9:16 am |

Lincecum thinks the stirrup stripes make him look shorter? That’s fabulously paranoid. I anything, it’s choosing to wear your hair like the kid from DAZED & CONFUSED that’s making you look shorter! But I love ya, Lincey, don’t ever change!

• RS Rogers | April 7, 2011 at 12:01 pm |

Also, how is “makes you look shorter” a bad thing for a pitcher? Anything that in any way deceives the batter about the pitcher’s size and position is a good thing for the pitcher. Making Tim look shorter, if true, will at least marginally improve his pitching performance by making it some tiny bit harder for batters to pick up his release point. If that’s not happening, then by definition the stirrups aren’t making him look shorter. And if he’s right that the socks make him look shorter, then he’s just admitted that he prefers to surrender a competitive advantage in order to satisfy personal vanity. The whole thing says something very negative about either Lincy’s intelligence or his character.

• Jeff S. | April 7, 2011 at 12:36 pm |

I think that might be a slight over-reaction. It sounds more like self-deprecating humor, than “personal vanity” that “says something very negative about his intelligence or his character.”

• RS Rogers | April 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm |

Slight overreaction? Never!

But seriously, dude, wear the team socks. If he actually doesn’t wear them for the reason stated, then he’s just as big a mook as I make him out to be. If he doesn’t even have that good of a reason for not wearing the socks and the “makes me look short” thing is just a joke, then he’s refusing to wear his team’s uniform for no good reason at all. Which makes him a different, probably worse, kind of mook.

And speaking of that, hey, you kids, get off my lawn!

• walter | April 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm |

Dude, srsly.

• Jack | April 7, 2011 at 9:18 am |

No problem with anybody donning a full baseball uniform for a game. I’ve seen worse at Mets games… like visiting Pirates fan cross dressing between Roberto Clemente and Johnny Depp.

The only three problems are the hosiery, the shoes and the the jersey size. Spend the extra money and get a size 52 or 56.

• Chris Holder | April 7, 2011 at 9:26 am |

A college football forum I visit pretty regularly has members that always make fun of other fans (specifically adults) who wear, say, jerseys to games. Now here’s the thing… I personally would never want to do it. Why? It’s just not me. I feel more comfortable in jeans and a polo shirt. But jeez, making fun of people who wear a jersey to a game… let me repeat that, A GAME… is just snobbery at it’s finest, in my humble opinion. If they wear it to the office? Then sure, lambaste them all you want. But a game? We’re talking about a game? Let people have their fun.

• Jack | April 7, 2011 at 11:23 am |

I have an “EXTENSIVE” jersey collection and all I wear are jerseys when not in the office wearing a suit. In some cases when I was younger I wore jerseys to the office in previous jobs.

I have NEVER heard of making fun of people wearing jerseys outside of a game. I think that it is a small group of critics. I get complements on my jerseys all the time, nobody has ever made fun of me. Granted I’m 6’7′ 250lbs.

Wearing a full uniform to a game is strange, but how is it any different than a fat drunk painting his face running around without a shirt or a coat at a Packers or Giants game in January? I am not critical of him going topless- I would mearly question his sanity based on his attire and the freezing temps.

• KT | April 7, 2011 at 12:41 pm |

“We’re sitting here, and I’m supposed to be a fan, and we’re talking about a game. I mean listen, we’re sitting here talking about a game, not the office, not the office, not the office, but we’re talking about a game. Not the office that I go out there and die for and crunch every number like it’s my last but we’re talking about a game, man. How silly is that?

“Now I know that I’m supposed to lead by example and all that but I’m not shoving that aside like it don’t mean anything. I know it’s important, I honestly do but we’re talking about a game. We’re talking about a game, man. We’re talking about a game. We’re talking about a game. We’re not talking about the office. We’re talking about a game. When you come to the office, and you see me work, you’ve seen me work, right, you’ve seen me give everything I’ve got, but we’re talking about a game right now.”

• Jason Loomis | April 8, 2011 at 4:56 pm |

Yeah, stirrups would have been better, shoes are the only athletic shoes i happen to own at the moment and it is a size 52 jersey. 56 wasn’t available at the moment i wanted to buy that particular jersey as it had the 2007 anniversary patch and didnt have a ton of options.

• Tom Nawrocki | April 7, 2011 at 9:28 am |

In that photo of the El Centro player wearing shorts, I don’t see how the insignia on his jersey could possibly be “El Centro” or “Imperials.” The first letter sure looks like a B to me. Is it possible the caption is wrong?

• Simply Moono | April 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm |

@Tom: Best comment all day. Haha XD

• Simply Moono | April 7, 2011 at 8:35 pm |

Whoops… that was supposed to be in reply to KT’s Allen Iverson parody comment. Damn sleep deprivation -_-

But I wouldn’t be surprised if the jersey script said “Brawley”, because of how close Imperial (CA), El Centro (CA), and Brawley (CA) are geographically (sp?). My favorite pic of the day, because I live less than 100 miles away from those towns… assuming that the aformentioned towns are of discussion today, of course.

• Billy | April 7, 2011 at 9:40 am |

Orioles base coaches switched from the throwback helmet to the current helmet last night… and they lost for the first time this year.

I don’t think this was a coincidence.

I do wonder why they switched though.

• Joel Manuel | April 7, 2011 at 9:42 am |

What a snarky little Twitter comment by that news chick.

• Coleman | April 7, 2011 at 10:12 am |

Agreed. I can think of plenty of words: Awesome, cool, loyal fan, brave soul… I’m sure there are many more to describe this great display of team allegiance but the point is she just doesn’t Get It™ (did I do that right?)

• KT | April 7, 2011 at 12:42 pm |

Semi-attractive for Wisconsin news types always think they’re superior to the common man.

• Craig D | April 7, 2011 at 4:25 pm |

“Semi attractive for Wisconsin” Zing! Love it.

• Ry Co 40 | April 7, 2011 at 9:47 am |

Pirates Home Opener!!!

this is what i’m going with (jim vilk would wear it…):

• LI Phil | April 7, 2011 at 10:57 am |

dude

you gotta go full unitard

we can then expect you to be made fun of on the interwebs and twittersphere

• RS Rogers | April 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm |

Never go full unitard.

• Jet | April 7, 2011 at 12:13 pm |

Good job! I’d wear it too!

-Jet

• Jim Vilk | April 7, 2011 at 11:08 pm |

You betcha I’d wear that!

Tried to tape today’s game but I did something wrong. That was for the best, since I just saw the final score…

• interlockingtc | April 7, 2011 at 9:56 am |

That says it all, doesn’t it. Everything else is secondary to the corporation that dressed the national collegiate men’s basketball champions.

I give up.

• Shane | April 7, 2011 at 10:21 am |

A pair of kicks that even Glorious Leader Lukas would wear?

(I kid, Paul..but they are kinda cool)

• JamesP. | April 7, 2011 at 10:22 am |

Found a great story in the St Louis Dispatch about a guy here who’s father played minor league ball and the son’s journy to find out everything he can about his father’s time as a professional baseball player. He even DIY’d some of his late father’s uniforms to recreate some of the pictures he has found over the years…

• Jim Vilk | April 7, 2011 at 11:06 pm |

That was awesome. Thanks for sharing that!

• ClubMedSux | April 7, 2011 at 10:33 am |

That Nats typo isn’t as bad as what the Bears did last year. I’m a season ticket holder so every year I get a calendar that I put up above my desk. I’m also a lawyer so I frequently use the calendar to calculate when answers to complaints are due (21 days after service in federal court, for those of you studying for the bar). Anyway, one day I’m calculating a due date and something seems off. Then I realized that the last two weeks of the month (for a non-February month) was listed as something like this:

22 23 22 23 24 25 26
    27 28 29

I guess calendar-making is a lost art.

• jdreyfuss | April 7, 2011 at 10:51 am |

How do they even get something like that wrong? Shouldn’t the publishing software have a calendar template? Shouldn’t the designer, copywriter, editor, printshop copywriter, printshop designer, or printshop manager catch it at some point?

• Mark K | April 7, 2011 at 11:22 am |

Oh great- now the lawyer types are gonna make them put a long-winded disclaimer on all the pocket schedules.

• teenchy | April 7, 2011 at 1:04 pm |

Yeah, but the Bears made it to the NFC title game so they get a pass. I still contend that if the Nats were paying >.500 ball no one would be making as big a deal of it.

On the other hand maybe the conspiracy theorists have it right, following the “no such thing as bad publicity” mantra…

• teenchy | April 7, 2011 at 1:17 pm |

/playing >.500 ball. Maybe I’m a fit for the front office.

• Geen! | April 7, 2011 at 10:54 am |

Re: Vanderbilt baseball.

Probably another Medalist/Sand Knit variation you could get from their catalog. Seton Hall had those thick multicolor pinstripes in the Craig Biggio days. Mind you, it’s not the triple-pinstripes of the Erie Sailors or Tacoma Tigers back in the day.

• Gusto44 | April 7, 2011 at 3:51 pm |

Speaking of gold pinstripes and minor league/college baseball, I wonder who was the first team to start wearing gold pins first. Vanderbilt may have been inspired by the 1977-79 Pirates, but I wonder if the Bucs acquired the idea from another team a few years earlier.

• Tim Nichols | April 7, 2011 at 11:18 pm |

I wish they’d bring the Larry Schmittou Era Old Gold. To me that is THE true Vanderbilt Gold.

• JamesP. | April 7, 2011 at 11:01 am |

Happy Anniversary to the Astros “Rainbow Guts” uniform! First worn in a regular seasion game on this day in 1975.

• pushbutton | April 7, 2011 at 11:33 am |

It was pretty early in the season they came in to Wrigley and I saw those babies for the first time. Know how people freaked out at the Beatles long hair in 64? I believe this was the baseball equivalent. You were either delighted or puzzled/disgusted by it. I was 12 years old and I think I was delighted; at least I know I started drawing it right away.

• RJ | April 7, 2011 at 11:04 am |

is the SF Seals pic of Joe D suffering from reverse negative, on his “right” side it looks like a logo seals script is reversed.

• Terry Proctor | April 7, 2011 at 12:11 pm |

Duh! I pointed out that very fact at 8:46 AM.

• RJ | April 7, 2011 at 12:32 pm |

2 awesome

• Podfather | April 7, 2011 at 11:23 am |

All of these typos and snafus by the Nationals – surely they deserve their own unique name that reflects their inability to proofread. I propose sNATfus as a suitable term.

• JamesP. | April 7, 2011 at 11:37 am |

I was thinking more like “sNATu”….Spelling “National’d” Up…

• RS Rogers | April 7, 2011 at 12:07 pm |

A vote for “snatfu.” Brilliant.

• Chance Michaels | April 7, 2011 at 12:38 pm |

Seconded.

• Ricko | April 7, 2011 at 1:21 pm |

My vote’s for SNATFU.
          The “T” standing for “thoroughly”.

“Nat” would be just a wonderful byproduct.

• James Craven | April 7, 2011 at 7:58 pm |

Duly thirded as well.

• atc | April 7, 2011 at 11:40 am |

Not exactly uni related but something new for Purdue.

• allthewayray | April 7, 2011 at 11:47 am |

Who gives a shit what anybody says on Twatter. Jason is bad ass in his Brewers uni.

• Jet | April 7, 2011 at 12:15 pm |

Hurrah! The news hen obviously didn’t realize what Jason was shooting for…
      -Jet

• Jet | April 7, 2011 at 12:17 pm |

Am I the first to comment on that awesome Visalia Rawhide uni? WOW!! I want one! And the ‘rups too!!

Robert Marshall, will those stirrups be for sale? They are beauts!!!!

-Jet

• Chance Michaels | April 7, 2011 at 12:39 pm |

Looks like they’re available right now</a..

• RS Rogers | April 7, 2011 at 1:50 pm |

A team looks that good, I stop caring about the missing plural “s” in the name. (Really, would “Rawhides” have been so painful for them?) That would be in the upper half of MLB, uni-wise. Probably top ten for me. Even before the awesome ‘rups.

• Jet | April 7, 2011 at 12:27 pm |

In that ’63 Sox-A’s video, the A’s batboy isn’t wearing a vest uniform. He comes out to shake Ed “The Glider” Charles’ hand when he heads to the dugout after scoring. I can’t see what’s on the front of his uni but he didn’t have one that matched the ballplayers’ unis…

-Jet

• Ricko | April 7, 2011 at 1:24 pm |

He’s wearing Sox socks. Probably a White Sox road uni. Many teams did that back then; have the visiting bat boy wear the home team’s road uni.

• Michael Emody | April 7, 2011 at 10:21 pm |

Ricko’s right, the visiting teams batboy’s were supplied by the White Sox (at least when school was in session.) And they wore the Sox’ road uni’s, which became more interesting when they switched to powder blue road uni’s, especially when the A’s were in town wearing gold.

Btw, it seems the A’s are wearing the first version of the green and gold- the one with “Athletics” spelled out like the previous year was (in navy and red.) The only clear shot is of the manager near the beginning of the clip, and he’s got a jacket on over the jersey.

• Jet | April 7, 2011 at 12:29 pm |

In that Sporting News book display picture, I love how they have individual team yearbooks in the display case – I see Phillies and Cardinals… wow…

-Jet

• Mike Hersh | April 7, 2011 at 1:29 pm |

The picture is from the Baseball Hall of Fame. I don’t know if they still do it, but they used to sell all the team yearbooks.

• scott | April 7, 2011 at 9:38 pm |

The Baseball Hall of Fame pretty much just sells Yankees, Mets and Red Sox merchandise these days. Or at least that’s all they have on display in the gift shop. Plus an occasional Brooklyn Dodgers item.

• Tim Moore | April 7, 2011 at 12:36 pm |

On the topic of the Niners looking for a title sponsor for their proposed stadium:

Los Angeles’ future NFL team (if it ever happens) already has a name for its stadium. “Farmer’s Field” is in the EARLY stages of design and it already has naming rights locked down.

• KT | April 7, 2011 at 12:43 pm |

New unis for the WNBA’s Phoenix Mercury, featuring Paul’s favorite color:

• pflava | April 7, 2011 at 12:51 pm |

Must be a bad link. That leads to a team called “Lifelock”.

• The Jeff | April 7, 2011 at 12:56 pm |

Nice. So not only can they not dunk (great fundamentals, that more fun to watch), but they can’t even put their own team names on the uniforms. It’s no wonder no one cares about them.

• KT | April 7, 2011 at 2:24 pm |

You do know why they do that, right? You’re not that obtuse, right? You don’t honestly believe there’s a correlation between sponsors on jerseys and disinterest, right?

• Aaron | April 7, 2011 at 5:00 pm |

In sports based in this country, I think you can draw a little bit of a correlation. It gives the appearance of a desperate, struggling league. Who wants to jump on that bandwagon?

I understand the reason they did it is because they are a struggling league. I guess I don’t know how desperate they are, but I do think pulling moves like this digs the disinterest a little deeper.

• James Craven | April 7, 2011 at 7:59 pm |

Did you mean the Phoenix LifeLocks?

• Dane | April 7, 2011 at 1:00 pm |

Nice job by SI on this gallery. For most of the entries, they got shots of the same player – often in the same pose – with the different uniforms.

• teenchy | April 7, 2011 at 1:14 pm |

I can’t be the only one who liked San Diego spelling out “Clippers” in signal flags down the shorts leg, can I? It’s a little tacky and pretentious when done with monograms on license plates and car doors but for a team with a nautical name, not inappropriate.

• Broadway Connie | April 7, 2011 at 3:15 pm |

Of course you’re not the only one!

• Chance Michaels | April 7, 2011 at 5:16 pm |

Not by a long shot, you’re not.

• RS Rogers | April 7, 2011 at 1:55 pm |

Has it really been that long since the Cardinals move to Arizona? Sheesh. Still seems fresh to me, even though I’ve never cared all that much about any NFL team that doesn’t wear purple.

• Arthur Denny | April 7, 2011 at 1:41 pm |

Nike got aTm after all! Theyre not even a Nike school… I wonder what adidas would think about this.

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 1:47 pm |

first off, i am loving this blue jay stuff, and quite frankly anything that uncovers stories from the past. it is sooo much more interesting(to me) then the random look whose helmet decal got obliterated in the nfl. they both have value i suppose, but the lack of documentation, microfiche reliance makes these old stories friggin awesome. kuddos to anyone who spends the time on them, you make my day, and of course corn bless UW.

now, onto monday’s buisness…

so i sez to myself, mable, mable i sez, what the heck is wrong with the people and their jello puddin pops? why is everyone stuck following B&W rabbit ear fuzzy screen chappeau design rules? the following brain-pan covers have a logo that, let’s just say, tends to recede. now call me mable, but i think all are brilliant, and i wouldn’t change a one of them. i also think anyone who would change any one of them should turn in their uni card, but hey, that’s my horchata. left out were teams that wear black like the giants, pirates(who needs this?!!> and o’s because nobody could argue their contrast…
    detroit tiger road(for one it’s too intricate for stroke mess, but the stroke just plain ruins it otherwise), th is a stretch but twinks interlocking in either red or blue(what? white around the colour, dark around the white? puh-lease), oakland gold(granted, the weakest of the bunch as a look, a crap hat, but it needs no visibility stroke), and mets traditional(to intricate for strokes for sure, look at this mud, honestly who would put that on their cranium?). so i would put the tribe block C in that list, especially the blue lid. seriously this(oh look, it’s middle of the summer sweat soaked)? or this? is there even a contest? we as a dishrag persnickety community are so quick to be critical that sometimes we miss the simple beauty in things. suck it superfluous strokes!

~mable

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 1:54 pm |

i don’t know how moderation works, maybe this shows up before my comment…

shite. tribe sweat soaked in all its glory.

• walter | April 7, 2011 at 2:53 pm |

I agree, the Mets’ monogram is too intricate for outlines and such.

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm |

thanks walt.
        where are the discenters? c’mon let’s have it. what would you change form those? i’m frigin painting my face,taking the underroos off from under my kilt, and standing with a louisville slugger C271(my lumber of choice) on a hillside…sons of sans-strokeland…they’ll never take the wahooless cap, they’ll never take our frrrreed-dum. tribe’s new hat! tribe’s new hat! tribe’s new hat! tribe’s new hat! tribe’s new hat! tribe’s new hat! tribe’s new hat! tribe’s new hat! okay, one isn’t new, i’m just saying

• Matthew Robins | April 7, 2011 at 1:51 pm |

Ha! The White Sox are wearing their Black Jerseys again, today. And it’s their home opener. Is that every game but 1 this season? Where is that article saying they were going to wear it less in 2011?

• Christopher | April 7, 2011 at 1:59 pm |

The White Sox leave the uni choice up to the starting pitcher. Mark Buehrle has worn black every time he starts since his no hitter in 2007.

Even though the Sox claim they’ll use them less- which I’m all into- since they leave it up to the pitcher, that edict may fall on deaf ears.

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 2:04 pm |

we all know it is up to the darn pitcher, the fact is they were suposed to drop the hammer on this crap. if they were not, why claim less craptacular black?

hey shag man, you playing this year? believe it or not, i am going to miss the stat league.

• Ricko | April 7, 2011 at 2:49 pm |

Yeah, I referenced that last week and no one followed up on it.

Didn’t Bud Selig say, late last season, that MLB was gonna enforce white at home (was it?) more stringently in 2011?

Some Commissioner. Doesn’t even have the clout to enforce a rule that’s on the books.

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 2:58 pm |

i like that there is no rules in general, i hate mustbe/have-ta/generalized middle of the road crap. this isn’t a frigin video game, there are people playing, and people have a flavor. i was more commenting on the empty promise. shoot, maybe the pale hose can figure another way of putting slanted-ox on their gear more. i get it you’re the
          s
          o
          x
          but they sure as shit, as if we could see them, ain’t pale.

• Ricko | April 7, 2011 at 5:44 pm |

Gonna go out on a limb here and say there are three pretty good ballplayers in his photo…

• Christopher | April 7, 2011 at 2:11 pm |

My bad… Jackson is pitching. Still, he chose black. I wish the team would choose.

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 2:46 pm |

it be bound to happen, the black that is. maybe they mean les july-august black? they’re getting it out of the way now?

• Chuck | April 7, 2011 at 3:48 pm |

The Mets are in the same boat. Wearing their softball tops again this afternoon.

• SkinnerAU | April 7, 2011 at 1:59 pm |

Just found this check out the stripes on the Minnesota Swarm from the NLL

• Ricko | April 7, 2011 at 2:46 pm |

I especially love the navy version.
      (Note to self: Get me one a’them).

• SkinnerAU | April 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm |

Yeah, i thought they were pretty badass muhself.

• Chris | April 7, 2011 at 2:10 pm |

The random Nike bashing is hilarious. The reason the Aggies championship shirt didn’t have logo creep on it wasn’t because Adidas didn’t put their logo on it vs Nike doing so. That shirt is a Nike design, the ones A&M had were made by a generic company not Adidas. A&Mwasnt going to wear something with a Swoosh on it and Nike wasn’t going to make a shirt and let Adidas and A&M put an Adidas mark on it.

Don’t let the Nike hate blind you

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 2:48 pm |

the point is that adidas wouldn’t let nike put thier check-mark on aggie gear. what nike bashing? it was corporate dishrag bashing.

• Chris | April 7, 2011 at 2:59 pm |

What Nike bashing? This Nike bashing from todays post:

I read that as criticizing Nike for putting their logo on the men’s shirt, while there is no Adidas mark on the women’s shirt…when the truth is if Adidas made that shirt there would be an Adidas logo on it. No company whether Reebok, Adidas, Under Armour etc. does anything different than the other. Nike just takes the brunt of things because they’re the top company. Just take a look at all the Adidas A&M gear that has come out since Tuesday. One thing you’ll notice is the Adidas logo right there front and center.

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 3:10 pm |

i read it as adidas blocked nike, they both be dishrags, it’s all crap. get your head out of your…

• interlockingtc | April 7, 2011 at 8:14 pm |

Chris,

It doesn’t bother you that the first thing you see when you look at that t-shirt is a nike logo? Not NCAA Champion, not Connecticut? But the nike logo.

You’re okay with that?

What does nike have to do with the outcome of the championship game?

• Chris | April 8, 2011 at 3:43 am |

The first thing I saw was how they incorporated the ‘No. 1’ into both the shirt and hat. Then I noticed the UConn on the other front panel of the hat and thought it looked small wondering why they didn’t make that bigger or why they didn’t use the Husky dog head logo. I thought that would have looked better than the UConn wordmark. Then I looked on the shirt to see which logos they used for it, dog, wordmark or both. Only then did I notice the small Swoosh.

So no I doesn’t bother me, since it wasn’t the first thing I saw.

Just because you seem to hate logo creep with a passion doesn’t mean everyone reacts to a Swoosh like it is a blinding light that makes everything within a large radius disappear. It was one Swoosh, the smallest element on both the hat and tshirt…I’m not ever going to develop on ulcer over that.

• interlockingtc | April 8, 2011 at 10:46 am |

I appreciate your thoughtful, honest response. But it saddens me that nike has seemingly succeeded in convincing you that their corporate identity is as fundamental to the game as the game itself.

• Ricko | April 7, 2011 at 2:55 pm |

Was thinking this yesterday, and Mike Greenburg brought up the subject his a.m., about batter’s stepping out of the box so often and slowing down the game.

I noticed it watching 1960 W-S Game 7, that hitters stayed in the box.

Golic said, but they have to get signs.

Okay, how’s this for a rule…

“With the bases empty, the batter may step out of the batter’s box only after swinging at a pitch, attempting to bunt, avoiding being hit by a pitched ball, if the pitcher leaves the mound, or for a legitmate equipment problem.”

Or something.

Discuss.

• Ricko | April 7, 2011 at 2:58 pm |

Too specific, I suppose.

What I’m getting at is, if there’s nobody on base and you take a pitch, you really don’t have much reason to step out of the box.

• LI Phil | April 7, 2011 at 2:59 pm |

isn’t that pretty much every pitch then?

how about this — if you don’t swing at the first pitch, you’re out

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 3:15 pm |

um, BA goes down with every strike you get, take this from “oh-fer”. you want to speed up the game, nix the damn DH and call it baseball, it’s the pace of the game corn bless it. or play catholic league rules 3-2 instead of 4-3, golly i hated playing brother rice.

• Ricko | April 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm |

I’m not a member of the “For god’s sake speed up the game” club.

I simply noticed that 1960 W-S Game Seven was clipping along pretty well (yes, I know there the original commercials between half-innings often were edited out of the kinescope). After a few innings it dawned on me there was very little stepping out of the box. Certainly not by comparison to the near-Hargrovesque routines of most every hitter these days.

I guess my question is…
      “Generally speaking, if you take a pitch, what for you gotta adjust your batting gloves? Or your jersey? Or your helmet.”

We should try stepping out of the box after every pitch in a softball game some time (fastpitch, slowpitch, doesn’t matter). Or tell our kid to do it Little League. That’ll win us a lotta friends. I guarantee the ump will speak with us concerning it.

(Somewhat Related Issue: Stop with the “fives” between free throws already)

• LI Phil | April 7, 2011 at 3:42 pm |

isn’t this pretty much a matter for blue to patrol?

don’t batters need to be granted “time” to step out of the box?

how bout MLB tells the nomah types with the glove-love-ocd that they will stay in the box unless given “time” and the pitcher will be allowed to deliver the ball when they’re outside the box if they step out

that would solve your problems right there

do we need to see two replays of every pitched ball, including the pitch location? really?

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 3:54 pm |

blue is there to make sure things are fair, not determine the pace of the game. you were obviously never blue. that being said, if there was CLEAR rule about hargoving you could do something, otherwise your stirrups are tied.

• LI Phil | April 7, 2011 at 4:09 pm |

i was blue for 5 years, cornmother, but not since you were kneehigh to a grasshoppah…in fact, i may have served you adult beverages when you were underage, but i digress

i agree there may be no explicit rule for blue to enforce, but i still say they could speed up the game if they so chose; they could simply tell the batter he is to remain in the box unless time is granted, and he is to ask for time any time he wishes to step out…go over that as part of the ground rules before the game starts so the managers convey that to the players and tell them he means bidness

either that, or they should expect their strike zones to be just a bit larger when they are in the box, if they’re gonna pull that garciaparran shit

• RS Rogers | April 7, 2011 at 4:23 pm |

Simple solution:

1. Enforce the rule that requires the pitcher to deliver a pitch within 12 seconds of receiving the ball. Failure to deliver pitch = ball awarded to batter, if I recall.

2. Remind umps that they, not batters, have the authority to call, or not call, time out, and that unless a batter shows obvious signs of distress that would prevent him from either swinging at a pitch or dodging a bean-ball, time should not be given. Stay in the box. If you need to fiddle with your batting gloves, you can do so in the box and risk being quick-pitched.

The only thing I would consider changing is awarding a ball to the batter every time the pitcher makes a pickoff attempt to any base, but not ball four. Exactly the same for the pitcher and balls as for the batter with fouls and strikes.

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 5:16 pm |

on the time out thing. just because you think you’re so pretty, er, a player calls it, it does not follow that it is called, i must have had my shit yelled at a billion times on that, just ask gabe zelwin(fucking killer yet persnickity hitter). the idea is that you do not give the hitter or pitcher advantage, that is your fargin jorb(sic). it’s like a strike zone, you are just saying listen clowns, i say this or that for both squads so F-off, 2CMs make the difference, it wasn’t the same pitch. sure gents, a ump can speed up a game, but without any league mandate, it’s just sox won’t wear black wavy-gravy crap. do you really want to see strikes/balls called sans pitch? so basketball, i’ll leave it thank you. get rid of the DH and i am fine with baseball rules. everyone always wants to make shit better, florp that, go watch something else if you hate it so much. how is baseball too long? if you don’t have the time fargin highlights are short motherscratcher. ooor you could watch the last 3 minutes of a basketball match and be all kind’a immediate.

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 5:21 pm |

i guess i could have just said who watches the game for the umpire? do you want that really?l c’mon jim joyce, make the call! that wasn’t 15.6 seconds! ridiculous.

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 5:46 pm |

mark buehrle gets er done, toss the darn apple, don’t give ’em hargrove time, problem solved, 2 hr game, no “fouls”. oooor if you be batter step out if a pitcher wants to take 5 breaths and tug here or their threads 6 times, might make it longer short term, but you still ultimately stick it to him, fans will boo, he will get rattled, and speed the hell up. aaar, y’all are a bunch of weak as sucks, sure as i love corn, given the oppo, your ocd-asses would step out of the box every 3 seconds to fix this or that,= and i would throw at your skulls when you stepped back in, that’s fargin beisbol. complaints about nothing the way sees it.

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 7:00 pm |

and i can throw a wiffle hard, watch me run. damn i’m fast. but it would totally leave a mark. provo would be so far off the video plate.

• Locode | April 7, 2011 at 2:57 pm |

Foxx actually made 42 of his 89 career starts at C in 1940.

• Pat Mackin | April 7, 2011 at 3:02 pm |

Look at that scoreboard on the upper left side of the 1939 Cuban team picture, which reads, “FOOT BALL, CUBA 2, MEXICO 0”.

Didn’t they know what game they were playing? LOL

• Pat | April 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm |

My guess is that Nike is an official spomsor and that A&M couldn’t put the Adidas logo on the shirt. It’s a t-shirt so hard to say that it’s logo creep.

• Paul Lukas | April 7, 2011 at 3:38 pm |

>It’s a t-shirt so hard to say that it’s logo creep.

Huh? So what about these:

Sure, just T-shirts — but that doesn’t make the logo creep any less egregious.

• Mark K | April 7, 2011 at 3:44 pm |

Nike does make some pretty decent team shirts. I wish they new how many I would have bought if only their logo wasn’t so conspicuous.

Unfortunately there are probably many out there that purchase them just because they do have the swoosh.

• =bg= | April 7, 2011 at 9:55 pm |

and I can recall getting a letter from Nike saying ‘we have no plans to market clothing at this time.’

(1979.)

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 3:58 pm |

mother of corn. obviously they are an official sponsor, the problem stems from that, they feel like they own it, that they can do whatever floats their darn boat, that they can shove their ****’s down out throat, wake up man. but mable, they paid money for yada yada and this is america. buh, get your head out of your…

• walter | April 7, 2011 at 5:42 pm |

Frankly, if I like the shirt, a swoosh isn’t going to keep me from buying it.

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 6:03 pm |

then you’re an idiot, good luck with that.

• Ryan | April 7, 2011 at 8:15 pm |

Good Lord. For real?

• rpm | April 8, 2011 at 1:45 am |

• rpm | April 8, 2011 at 2:23 am |

wait, i’m sorry, i think i might have been too soft spoken…fuck yes. who buys branded shit ryan? i am not saying the temptation apple isn’t there, it is, i want it for a new york minute when the time is right for my teams, but who actually buys it and puts that crap on their body like a billboard? or worse yet pays the devil for it?! it’s mass crap made somewhere by someone with a sub-human wage(think of american workers man), wooo-hoo, win i got it cheap, corporate logos are cool, that’s america, it’s part of the game, part of the win. puke. maybe that’s okay with you? shite, that’s only giving you the tip. who would actually be so soulless that they actually think that would be reasonable fashion? or cool? corn almighty, do you go out in public with a checkmark on your junk and think that’s suh-weet? they make enough money selling their jerseys, they don’t need to trogdor their mark on them, they don’t need to brainwash people for so many years that people actually think all this is right. corn, this crap seems so simple yet nike/addidadadasa(corporate) apologists pop up all the time. how is that even possible? how do you live with youreself? oh, i get it, it just is.

• KT | April 7, 2011 at 3:53 pm |

New ball for the (new) NASL, which looks similar to the original: http://www.kenn.com/...

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 4:56 pm |

holy cow!!!!!!!! i just found in a box of trash a 45 of A)take me out to the ball game(it’s harry doing disco!) B) hey hey na na(disco version, sox fans know it). anybody want to pay my rent on ebay? okay, it’s a keeper, just sayin’ there might be a bobble video in there. that’s KC for ya.

• Christopher | April 7, 2011 at 5:28 pm |

Holy crap-ola… I would do anything for a copy via mp3. I don’t need the original. If there’s any way in the world you’d be able to do that, my name links to my site, which has a contact page.

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 5:40 pm |

mp3? are you kidding me?

• LI Phil | April 7, 2011 at 5:43 pm |

can the commodore 64 make mp3’s even?

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 6:05 pm |

ha! no, but i can 110101010100101100101000000121010101010101

• Broadway Connie | April 7, 2011 at 6:27 pm |

Not bad, RPM.

• rpm | April 7, 2011 at 6:57 pm |

i needed a day off from painting. but i practically do have a convertible commodore. ask brownbagger, it’s all kin’a 10001001010, can i get a slee-stak?

• Ricko | April 7, 2011 at 5:46 pm |

Crap, this was supposed to be here, not WAYYY up above.

Gonna go out on a limb and say there are three pretty good ballplayers in this photo (too bad it isn’t color)…

• Ricko | April 7, 2011 at 5:50 pm |

In fact, I think I’d take that outfield just about any where, any time. I think most baseball fans would.

Probably move the one on the right to left, though, because of the arm on the one to the left.

• LI Phil | April 7, 2011 at 6:05 pm |

yeah…you want 44 in left, 24 in center, and 21, with the cannon, in right

• Too Tall Paul | April 7, 2011 at 10:19 pm |

If you look closely at the table displaying the Sporting News baseball books you can see a small stack of New York Mets 2011 pocket schedules…

• Tim E. O'B | April 7, 2011 at 10:55 pm |

Pippen got a bust presented to him (although it’s more than your average bust and cuts off right at an uncomfortable place). Weird item? the only white on the bust was the NBA logo. all the uni white is gold (although the uni is red, it’s based on a pic of Scotty in the home whites).

also, not sure if the NBA logo was a late edition, but this pic sure makes it seem like it…

• Chuck | April 7, 2011 at 11:15 pm |

Have the North Dakota hockey team just played their last game with the nickname Fighting Sioux? If so, that is too bad as those jerseys are sweet!

• Michael Emody | April 8, 2011 at 12:32 am |

The best were the green versions of the Blackhawk’s sweaters they wore back in the early 90’s.

• Administrator | April 11, 2011 at 5:23 am |

winning 24 +7 again approaching the emperor only inside depth than the Bulls enough to the playoffs there is a fatal weakness magic Planning – Data reveal Bulls Michael Jordan era championship chase lineup * http://www.jerseysco... hero: Bulls climb to the top contributor to the number of columns: pressure coach Ross Ross Boozer as NOAA footsteps rate along the Jordan Bulls dynasty, or rehabilitation of 60 three-point win Xi Bodu shoulder to shoulder to help the performance will be phenomenal Phil Rose MVP

• Administrator | April 11, 2011 at 5:24 am |

We are an exporter specializing in wholesaling and retailing various top brand clothes like
    NFL JERSEYS,MLB JERSEYS,NHL JERSEYS,NBA JERSEYS,NCAA JERSEYS ,CUSTOM NFL,CUSTOM NHL,YOUTH
    with new style, pretty appearance, reasonable price, high quality and good service (fast delivery). please feel free to contact us directly. Welcome to our website
    http://www.jerseysco... can do the payment via the following methods Westernunion Moneybookers moneygram TNTand other ways