Nobody's Perfcet: NBA Scores Again

Screen shot 2011-03-14 at 8.57.54 PM.png

Anyone can make mistakes; I certainly make plenty of them myself. But the NBA, by any rational standard, has had a very rough first quarter of 2011. The latest mishap occurred last night, as Wilson Chandler of the Nuggets was saddled with a jersey typo. (According to the sixth graf of this story, he switched to a properly spelled jersey for the second half.)

This is at least the NBA’s fifth uni snafu so far this calendar year. The others, in case you’ve forgotten:

Jan. 22: Mustafa Shakur takes the court in a laughably amateurish-looking jersey.

Jan. 24: Kevin Seraphin wears his shorts backwards.

Feb. 23: Andray Blatche’s NOB is misspelled.

Feb. 27: Another NOB typo, this time for Jason Smith.

Toss in last night’s Chandler typo and that makes five glitches in 52 days — and, more alarmingly, three NOB misspellings in 20 days. Not good. (And while we’re at it, Chris Chaussee points out that Al Thornton’s memorial patch was missing last night.)

Of course, the NBA isn’t the only organization that gets people’s names wrong, and I should know: People have been misspelling my surname for most of my life. The most recent instance, in fact, was yesterday, when I went to Manhattan to speak at the NYC11 convention. When I met Richard Craig for lunch before our session, he said he’d already picked up my convention credentials and had noticed that my name tag had me listed as “Paul Lucas” (I can’t even begin to tell you how wrong that looks), so he had them make a quick replacement tag on the spot. Very nice of him, although the name tag had another problem that Richard couldn’t do anything about. Sigh.

guthrie.png

Collector’s Corner, by Brinke Guthrie

Nice variety of items on this week’s Collector’s Corner. Let’s take a look:

• Here’s an unusual one: a big box of baseball tattoos.

• Check this Kentucky Colonels sweatshirt. I’d buy this in a heartbeat, but it’s too small.

• Ah, more 1973 IHOP NFL goodness: a mini-helmet display board with 43 helmets.

• PL alert: How ’bout this 1958 varsity jacket? And dig the patch on front.

• Reader Kenny7476 sent in this great Quebec Nordiques jacket.

• Check the art deco vibe on this 1932 Olympics program.

• I totally remember this Reds/Bench catching mitt decanter from 1973. (I like how the seller helpfully adds that the “decanter is empty.”)

Seen something on eBay that you think would make good Collector’s Corner fodder? Send your submissions here.

ESPN reminder: In case you missed it yesterday, my latest ESPN column — the cricket primer — is up now.

March Madness reminder: Our annual NCAA bracket pool is currently open for business. Details here.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty, in New Hampshire to lay the groundwork for a White House run, took to the ice in a UNH hockey jersey on Friday. … Arsenal’s 125th-anniversary jersey has been leaked (with thanks to Dylan Damon). … Last week I mentioned the Salt Lake Golden Eagles’ unusual uni design. Now, as if on cue, several pairs of their vertically striped socks have shown up on eBay. … A few months ago I ran this show of former UNLV hoops player Greg Anthony practicing while wearing a hockey helmet with a facemask. Now Chris Flinn has come up with an additional shot. … If I had to wear a pair of swoosh-emblazoned sneakers, it would definitely be this pair (with thanks to Ryan Connelly). … Oooh, look at this gorgeous satin basketball warm-up jacket. It includes a small detail I’ve never seen before: Spanjian-branded buttons. Hey, Terry Proctor, was that a common thing for Spanjian jackets back in the day? … Here’s an interesting item: a U. of Detroit alumni hockey jersey. … “I’m sure this is just a practice thing,” says Ernie Ballard, “but LSU is wearing purple pants in spring drills.” … Latest team to unveil a really ugly St. Paddy’s Day jersey: the Tigers. They’ll be selling the jerseys after the game, and here are the prices (all this courtesy of Matt Campbell). … In a related item, this page includes the following note from Giants camp: “Brian Wilson is coloring up a new pair of spikes. He received some white and green Nike cleats to wear on St. Patrick’s Day, and plans to add his own orange and black alterations. Nobody tell Florida Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez” (with thanks to Ryan Walsh). … There are Elmer Fudds and then there are Elmer Fudds. That’s Dusty Baker from about two weeks ago (with thanks to Cary O’Reilly). … Here’s a weird one: Rhode Island baseball’s new alternate jersey is a straight rip-off of the Rays’ alts, except for the sunburst (good spot by Tim O’Brien). … “I was watching an I Love Lucy rerun the other day,” writes Jim Santel. “It was the episode where Lucy and Ethel conspire to toss out their husbands’ ratty old clothes, including Ricky’s gorgeously scripted varsity sweater. Fortunately, Ricky gets his clothes back at the end of the episode.” … Check out the zebra jerseys being worn by the officials in this Costa Rican football game. “They look more like jockey silks to me,” says Ryan Burns. … Interesting headwear being worn by the baseball team at Elon University. “The cap reminds me of an NFL sideline cap,” says Kyle Ostendorf. … A bunch of Red Auerbach memorabilia is about to be put up for auction. Further details here. … Brady Graham recently visited the Chiefs Hall of Honor at Arrowhead Stadium and got a shot of something pretty cool: E.J. Holub’s Chiefs cowboy boots. … Anyone know why Michael Jordan had the Upper Deck logo on his batting helmet? (As noted by Mike Given.) … The folks at Slate have broken down the NCAA bracket by mascot and by color (Chris Flinn again). … Pretty cool artwork on display in this upcoming Fantagraphics book about Roberto Clemente (thanks, Kirsten). … Brett Myers is still as classy as ever, as you can see by the stitched inscription on his glove (good spot by Mike Meech). … The Arizona Historical Society in Tempe currently has an exhibit devoted to Cactus League history, and Chris Cruz took a bunch of photos. It’s particularly interesting to see that this Seatle Pilots program (or is it a poster..?) featured the team’s coaching staff but not any of the players. Also of note: a T-shirt for the Scottsdale Community College Fighting Artichokes! “You can compare the logo mascot on the T-shirt to the newer version on the college’s web site,” says Chris. … Interesting article about how the NCAA legal team polices unauthorized uses of terms like “Final Four” and “March Madness” (with thanks to Mike McLaughlin). … Also from Mike: Changes in the works for Maryland’s football uniforms. …

St. Paddy’s Day reminder: All your Seattle readers should already have this on your calendars, but just in case: Our own Scott Turner and his music project, RebelMart, will be playing this Thursday at the Mix. Skip the green beer scene and go see him instead, won’t you? Thanks.

134 comments to Nobody’s Perfcet: NBA Scores Again

• Boomtown | March 15, 2011 at 8:18 am |

Hey Paul, pretty sure you meant Michael Jordan, not Jackson.

• Boomtown | March 15, 2011 at 8:19 am |

…or, you know, not. Sorry, I’m obviously not fully awake this morning.

• Billy | March 15, 2011 at 8:27 am |

…and it was a charity event at the All-Star game:

“As if the American and National league rosters didn’t offer enough for stargazers, a slew of celebrities will be at Camden Yards on Monday for a charity home run hitting contest.

Michael Jordan, Patrick Ewing, James Belushi, Bill Murray, Tom Selleck, Dan Marino, Florence Griffith Joyner, Denzel Washington and Ahmad Rashad are to compete in the Upper Deck Celebrity Home Run Challenge for Charity.”

• JimWa | March 15, 2011 at 9:06 am |

… and I’ll guess (based on the helmet sticker and the scoreboard sign) that the sponsor was … Topps.

• duker | March 15, 2011 at 12:39 pm |

That’s definably Camden Yards in the background and MJ is wearing a ChiSox Home jersey. Billy is spot on.

• Chris B. | March 15, 2011 at 1:53 pm |

from what I remember at that 1993 All-Star Celebrity thing in Baltimore, Bill Murray wore a Cubs uniform, Ewing in a Mets uniform, FloJo in a Dodgers uniform, Marino was a Marlin, and I want to say that Rashad was dressed as a Twin.

• Eriq Jaffe | March 15, 2011 at 9:21 am |

Wow, I never knew Jordan ever wore a #23 Sox jersey, I’ve only ever seen him rocking #45.

• JimWa | March 15, 2011 at 9:56 am |

Excellent catch. Keep in mind, at the time, Jordan wasn’t a “retired” basketball player trying for a second career (when #45 was born).

• JTH | March 15, 2011 at 10:47 am |

I’ve never seen a photo that shows what number (if any) was on this jersey but I always assumed it was 23.

• Jay | March 15, 2011 at 8:26 am |

Here’s an interesting note from the article about Maryland’s football uni changes. AD Kevin Anderson says, “It will directly compete with Nike and what Nike does for Oregon.” Remember when Left Driesell wanted to make Maryland the “UCLA of the East” in bball? Looks like the Terps are now shooting to be the “Oregon of Nike.”

• Chris Holder | March 15, 2011 at 9:10 am |

I can’t wait for this fad of crazy uniform combos (assuming that’s what Maryland will be doing) to end. Until then, I’ll look forward to seeing the Terps next year in highlighter-yellow jerseys, red pants, and carbon fiber helmets with a 3D turtle on the side.

• Billy | March 15, 2011 at 10:33 am |

Did some Googling and found these linked to various “new Maryland Football Uniform” discussions:

• Chris Holder | March 15, 2011 at 11:06 am |

Well, not that I have a horse in this race, but… yeah. That’s awful. Poor Terps.

• MPowers1634 | March 15, 2011 at 11:33 am |

The Turtle shell should be embossed on the back of the jersey like the BB sweatback design or the scales on the old Florida SOD uniforms:

• Joe Hilseberg | March 15, 2011 at 11:49 am |

Funny thing about Edsall…the uni’s that Uconn used were the exact same template that Nike created for MD a few designs ago, just with the school name added –

and now that he’s at Maryland, he wants to put the name on the jersey, just like Uconn…coincidence? I think not!

And to quote my friend Tommy E when commenting on MD being shown more prominently on the jersey – “I would like to see MD shown more prominently in a post-season bracket!”

• Joe Hilseberg | March 15, 2011 at 8:26 am |

“Anyone know why Michael Jackson had the Upper Deck logo on his batting helmet? ”

First off…it’s JORDAN! hehe

OK..I was there that day. It was the 1993 All-Star Warm up day at Camden Yards. They had a celebrity home run derby including Jordan, Patrick Ewing, Bill Murray and Flo Jo among others. The highlight though was Tom Selleck. He went yard over the right field scoreboard! And all of this was brought to you by your friends at Upper Deck!

• Keith | March 15, 2011 at 11:23 am |

I concur. If I’m not entirely crazy (which is debatable), I think Selleck even wore on O’s uniform. I remember being surprised it wasn’t a Tigers uni.

• Keith | March 15, 2011 at 11:24 am |

‘an’ not ‘on’

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm |

I think I have b&w newspaper clipping of a wire service photo of Selleck in an O’s uni that day. Hopefully is in my Orioles file (that should have been where I put it). I’ll have to check tonight.

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm |

googled this…

The shot I have is from BP.

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 1:28 pm |

Apparently he got on the field with the Yankees, too.

• Jeremy Kelly | March 15, 2011 at 2:06 pm |

That was for his Japanese baseball movie, “Mr. Baseball.” Note an MVP-era Frank Thomas next to him in the photo in Yankee pinstripes.

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 2:24 pm |

Yup, remembered scenes of his character with the Yankees right after I posted it. Well, that and “Mr. Baseball” on the card.

• Jay | March 15, 2011 at 8:27 am |

Oops. That should be the “Oregon of Under Armour.”

• SkinnerAU | March 15, 2011 at 8:39 am |

Awesome St. Patty’s day concert poster for Rebelmart.

• Ry Co 40 | March 15, 2011 at 9:24 am |

BFBS? haha

looks cool scott!

• JimWa | March 15, 2011 at 9:15 am |

Looking at Dusty’s Elmer Fudd … er, Iron Sheik, it appears to be zippered. Have previous versions of the cap used a zipper as well?

• Terry Proctor | March 15, 2011 at 9:22 am |

Paul- If I remember correctly Spanjian used those embossed snaps until they moved south to San Marcos (near San Diego) around 1970. They weren’t the only manufacturer to have personalized snaps. Maple Sportswear of Phila had a maple leaf on theirs.

And Paul, I think the spirit of Jack Kent Cooke made your name tag. LOL!

• b-t-p-h | March 15, 2011 at 12:11 pm |

Speedline also used the logo snap button:

Spanjian used the logo button into the 70s with their circa 1950s logo design.

Also, does anyone have an idea as to who the “BABES” were? Womens team? AAU? Barnstorming? All American Redheads played-against-team?

• MG12 | March 15, 2011 at 9:25 am |

The “leaked” Arsenal kit was originally posted back in December. It was discussed that it was a fake and has not been confirmed since.

Here’s another shot, although I would wait another couple months before we know for sure what the 11-12 kits look like.

• Ry Co 40 | March 15, 2011 at 9:28 am |

the elon university logo has me bugged this morning. it reminds me of the rebel logo on star wars (sad for myself that i knew that):

but, it also reminds me of something else that i can’t put my finger on. a video game company logo? a skateboard company logo? something like that. just can’t figure it out…

• Bernard | March 15, 2011 at 9:38 am |
      • Ry Co 40 | March 15, 2011 at 10:06 am |

lol. thanks!

getting closer, but this still isn’t it:

i want to say the company’s name ends in “soft”? like “game-soft” or something?

• Kyle | March 15, 2011 at 11:08 am |

Agree they look alike only that Elon has used their logo since 2001, which I believe is prior than the ducks. Elon used to be the Fighting Christians and had a great logo.

• MPowers1634 | March 15, 2011 at 11:24 am |

Many Bothans died to bring us that logo!

• Jim Vilk | March 15, 2011 at 11:48 am |

Good one, Matt!

“Return of the Jedi,” right?

• Flip | March 15, 2011 at 9:37 am |

How deep can the single colors — K-State (purple), Syracuse (orange) — go in the tournament? Interesting they’re opposite one another.

• Aaron | March 15, 2011 at 11:36 am |

Tennessee also only claims one color on that bracket. Or are you just assuming there’s no way they get past Michigan?

• Chance Michaels | March 15, 2011 at 9:50 am |

Love Holub’s cowboy boots, but the Chiefs’ helmet looks strange with its colors reversed.

• Barry Dingle | March 15, 2011 at 9:54 am |

Look at Youngstown State softball batting helmet

• Barry Dingle | March 15, 2011 at 9:54 am |

Sorry forgot to throw link on http://www.ysusports...

• LarryB | March 15, 2011 at 7:00 pm |

Go Penguins

But man that is a strange looking batting helmet.

• Rob S | March 15, 2011 at 10:20 am |

Ugh. I never thought I’d see the Tigers do something that horrific… but, at least St. Patrick’s Day falls within spring training.

• scott | March 15, 2011 at 6:07 pm |

Are all the green jerseys Thursday going to be made in that same template?

• Juan | March 15, 2011 at 10:24 am |

Paul: Why does it seem you are you letting adidas off the hook here? Whenever there’s been a uniform mistake in other leagues, you immediately point fingers at the manufacturer, but with all these adidas mistakes, you’re not even mentioning them?

• Paul Lukas | March 15, 2011 at 10:33 am |

I’m not certain it’s Adidas’s fault — in many cases, the NBA lettering is done by the teams, not by Adidas.

I already have calls in to several teams and to Adidas. Trying to piece together the timeline on these jerseys. Stay tuned.

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 1:08 pm |

Seriously, we think these unis are ordered from some central warehouse and arrive all lettered and numbered at each team’s offices?

Um, no. Teams have local firms or individuals contracted to appply the appropriate items, especially names and numbers to handle needs rapdily. Why would they wait for them to shipped from some central location to all the different cities. Please.

Uni Watch did an excellent piece recently on the fellow who provided such services for several years for the Oakland A’s.

• LI Phil | March 15, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
      • Ry Co 40 | March 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm |

don’t forget the lady that does the phoenix suns jerseys… i know she was on here within the past month and a half or so

• traxel | March 15, 2011 at 2:04 pm |

Hey Ryberto – Just spent the last 20 min. on the Project 840 site and was completely entertained. Good shit goin on there dude.

• Ry Co 40 | March 15, 2011 at 4:28 pm |

awesome, thanks!!! i have a WHOLE bunch of crap coming out in the next 2 weeks or so to post. glad you like it!

• allthewayray | March 15, 2011 at 11:04 am |

I’ll take the 30 game suspension for a brazen shot to Pawlenty’s head.

• LI Phil | March 15, 2011 at 1:04 pm |

you having visions?

kind of like christopher walken (about martin sheen) in dead zone?

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 1:17 pm |

Pawlenty’s intriguing. In a negative way. Despite what his supporters tell you, he isn’t exactly beloved even in his home state, yet obviously has had his eye on the Oval Office for some time, all without ever demonstrating anything whatseover that’s shown he’d be capable of handling the job. It all seems based solely on the fact that he wants the position. Very “empty suit”.

Just…odd. The whole thing always has been.

(This is coming from a guy who’s growing more fiscally conservative with each passing year, and my observations are based on how he’s been marketed and how it’s played…NOT on his policies or his politics).

• LI Phil | March 15, 2011 at 1:25 pm |

~~~

sounds like a couple of recent presidents

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 1:50 pm |

Yeah, but Pawlenty’s plaform seeing to be, “I wear a tie and I know how to make it look like I cut spending and turned things around.”

• Komet17 | March 15, 2011 at 6:50 pm |

~~~
          sounds like a couple of recent presidents

As well as the current one…

• JTH | March 15, 2011 at 1:54 pm |

“Despite what his supporters tell you, he isn’t exactly beloved even in his home state…”

He was elected by very narrow margins and he didn’t receive a majority of the votes in either election, did he?

Of course, that’s more the rule than the exception in Minnesota, innit? Jesse Ventura got just over a third of the votes, I believe.

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm |

Yeah, lately sometimes I think we think we’re electing characters for a Saturday morning cartoon show.

Nothing like an informed electorate.
          And that’s nothing like… (ba dum bum).

• concealed78 | March 15, 2011 at 11:12 am |

I’m starting to wonder if these NBA typos are “accidents”. Teams seem to be getting a lot of free publicity these days (and it’s been showing up on local newscasts) whenever there’s a NOB typo.

Or maybe it’s always been this way & we’re noticing it more.

• Chance Michaels | March 15, 2011 at 12:44 pm |

I don’t think even the Nuggets are that desperate for some attention.

• Noah | March 15, 2011 at 11:12 am |

That Pilots display is pretty sweet, though the image with the coaches looks like an advertising poster. By the looks of it, apart from the photos of players in Tempe, most of the Pilots display is made up of regular season artifacts…

• umplou | March 15, 2011 at 12:45 pm |

Probably only the coaches are on it, because outside of say, Tommy Davis and MAYBE Bouton and Gary Bell, most of the Pilots were pretty much scrubeenie types.

The program from the 1951 Yankees training camp is pretty cool – when you realize thats the camp where Mickey Mantle had his coming out. If no one knows, in 51 the Yankees and Giants traded training camps, because Yankee owner Del Webb – who was a HUGE contractor out there, wanted to show of his team to all his buddies in Arizona and Vegas.

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm |

How dare yon denegrate the likes of Mike Hegan, who had the insight to answer on a Pilots’ team questionaire that the hardest thing about MLB was, “Explaining to your wife why SHE needs a penicillin shot for YOUR kidney infection.”

(SOURCE: Ball Four)

• umplou | March 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm |

I meant to the PUBLIC – Davis had been a standout with the Dodgers….Bouton with the Yankees, and Bell with the Indians and Red Sox. Otherwise to the PUBLIC, everyone else was pretty much, ‘Who?’ I mean, Mike Hegan was pretty much known as being Jim Hegan’s son,

Whereas the with the coaches, Crosetti and Maglie were, if not superstars, very well known to the public.

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 2:20 pm |

I wasn’t disagreeing with you at all, just seizing the opportunity to offer Hegan’s remark.

Because it’s priceless.

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm |

Was just thinking. Among other distinctions held by the Seattle Pilots, they’re probably the only team in history to have two spring trainings, but play just one season.

They didn’t become the Brewers until they had concluded—or just about concluded—spring training in 1970. One thing IS sure, they held camp both years in Pilots unis.

• umplou | March 15, 2011 at 3:57 pm |

as is most of the dialogue in Ball Four

“OK all you married guys, lets act horny!”

“Hiya Blondie, hows your old tomato?”

“For Chrissakes Gelner, you’ll never get them out drinking Dr Pepper!”

(Triple A speech)”I got to let you guys know that you are this far away from Major League Pussy”

• ronnie poore | March 15, 2011 at 11:26 am |

looks like the link to Ricky Ricardo’s varsity sweater is a fail. anyone else got a shot of it?

• Michael M | March 15, 2011 at 11:32 am |

The Fighting Artichokes of Scottsdale CC brings to mind Delta State’s Fightin’ Okra, but DSU (officially the Statemen) have only been using the Fightin’ Okra since the late 1980s.

• Chris from Carver | March 15, 2011 at 11:57 am |

I was just watching the MLB Network and in their promotion for some spring training games, they used the BP jerseys to represent the teams. Just thought this was odd.

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 1:47 pm |

Noticed that, too, but there are two things to consider:

1. It IS Spring Traing telecats they’re pushing.
      2. It IS the MLB Network, and they ARE sellling those spring training jereys retail.

It’s all coming clear to you now, right? :)

• Chris from Carver | March 15, 2011 at 2:26 pm |

All too clear.

• Mike Moves | March 15, 2011 at 12:07 pm |

Dusty Baker has been wearing that since his days managing the Giants. If I remember correctly he had a tumor removed from his neck and he is worried about skin cancer. The hat is definitely more French Foreign Legion than Elmer Fudd.

• JTH | March 15, 2011 at 12:22 pm |

I can’t find any pics, but when he was with the Cubs, I remember him going the makeshift route by putting Gatorade towels under his hat on occasion.

I don’t remember anything as elaborate as (what appears to be) a zip-off neck flap.

• Mason F | March 15, 2011 at 12:15 pm |

ESPN highlight of today’s article with the continuation of this year’s NBA uni flops: http://espn.go.com/v...

• Chance Michaels | March 15, 2011 at 12:43 pm |

Love the Clemente book, but am stunned that only 13,000 people came out to watch Roberto get his 3,000 hit.

Was a different time.

• Gusto44 | March 15, 2011 at 5:00 pm |

You’re right about being stunned on the low attendance figure for Roberto’s 3000th hit, on the surface, it appears inexcusable. We’ve seen this with other sports events in other cities-I recall some microscopic crowds for Yankees games in the 1990s, for example.

When you look at the facts surrounding Roberto’s 3000 hit game, it’s really not surprising to see a low turnout. In the big picture, getting that 3000th hit was a fitting exclamation mark to Roberto’s career, the double was his final at bat in the 1972 regular season(Pirates had only a few games left that year). No doubt, looking back, many fans wished they had seen that game live in person, it was definitely assumed Roberto would play in 1973. He had said publicly in August of ’72 about wanting to play five more seasons. Injuries had limited Clemente to 102 games in ’72, so there was a perception late that season that hit 3000 would come in 1973.

The Pirates were going for a repeat world championship in ’72, and dominated the NL East, repeating by 11 games. The last games were meaningless in the standings, and the Pirates played reserves in those contests. In fact, Roberto had gone 0-4 in a night game before that day game, so the belief was he would be rested for that Mets game. The night before the 3000 game, Clemente had trouble sleeping, so it was a surprise he was even in the lineup at all.

We also have to remember in Clemente’s era, personal milestones weren’t the widely orchestrated events we’ve seen today. For one of the all time greats and ultimate competitor like Clemente, it was another day at the ballpark.

Add in the lousy weather, and an opponent well behind in the standings, the low attendance wasn’t unforeseen. It’s fair to say the attendance should have been greater, but sports, like life, isn’t scripted. Longtime Clemente fans certainly have plenty of moments to choose from. More importantly, the overall impact of Clemente on both the Pirates and baseball has transcended statistics.

• BurghFan | March 15, 2011 at 8:02 pm |

It;s never “fair to say the attendance should have been greater”. The only person you can say should have been at a game was you, and in many cases, you won’t feel that you should have gone. Everyone makes their own decision about how to spend their money and what to attend.

• BurghFan | March 16, 2011 at 5:24 am |

By the way, that’s a lousy rendition of Three Rivers, even before noting that the scoreboard and tarps in the upper deck that Santiago drew were more than ten years from existing when Clemente was alive.

• Nickbob | March 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm |

Always glad to see Pilots news here, and that’s a fine poster. But Seattle is spelled with 2 T’s, which how it is for Scott’s event, but apparently the NBA is responsible for the Pilots link.

• Kenny Mayne | March 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm |

I can name 30 Seattle Pilots.

• Erick R. | March 15, 2011 at 12:52 pm |

Is it just me or has this been happening a lot? You would think millions of dollars being poured into an organization they would get the names right.

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 1:41 pm |

You know what sucks?
      We can’t, because of “polical correctness,” suggest an obvious reason for the “local lettering” screw ups.

Some of the teams or subcontractors are employing seamstresses (and possibly supervisors) at relatively low paying positions who don’t speak English. In fact, their background likely is such that they use a different alphabet altogether.

• JTH | March 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm |

Because of political correctness you aren’t allowed to do exactly what you just did?

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 3:23 pm |

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm |

That’s why I didn’t do it.

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 3:38 pm |

And I’m not putting anyone down. Saying if that’s the case the mistakes are a little bit understandable. The fault lies with whoever’s in charge of quality control.

• JTH | March 15, 2011 at 4:00 pm |

I blame Gilbert Gotfried.

• eethy | March 15, 2011 at 1:06 pm |

The mark of the beast.
    Double swoosh eyebrow tattoo.
    Enjoy.

• Aaron | March 15, 2011 at 1:24 pm |

SI put out a photo album today of mascots in the big dance, and I note they’re using a shot of Purdue Pete from last year’s Big Ten tourney. Pete has been wearing 00 this year, since freshman Tyrone Johnson took over 0 this year.

• Adam | March 15, 2011 at 1:29 pm |

Does anyone have a more half-assed mascot than Kansas State? It’s like their mascot budget got cut and all they could afford was the head.

• Aaron | March 15, 2011 at 1:43 pm |

Missouri’s wasn’t great, but yeah, I gotta agree. K-State wasn’t looking so hot.

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 1:44 pm |

Maybe Traxel hasn’t paid off his student loan yet?

• traxel | March 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm |

Hey now! I would climb to the top of the highest mountain in Kansas with a paint can to defend Willie’s honor.

So why is a full body suit required to be a good mascot? Seems to me it would be constricting, seriously limiting what you can do, not to mention adding some major Fahrenheits to the gettup. Just throw on the team uni and get after it! Willie can move. Don’t know about this guy….

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 2:30 pm |

Wow. Somebody’s mascot is a slice of furry blue toast?

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm |

Yah gotta admit, Trax, Willie IS kinda “Island of Dr. Moreau”.

(For those who don’t get it, look it up)

• JTH | March 15, 2011 at 1:55 pm |

Isn’t Purdue Pete basically just a head and a sledgehammer?

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 2:04 pm |

You sure you aren’t thinking of Gallagher?

• Aaron | March 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm |

Well, it’s a head made out of the same advanced fiberglass that airplanes are made out of. But, otherwise, yeah.

Oh, and no tattoos if you’re Pete. My fiance knew one of the Petes (maybe the one in that picture) and he always had to wear sleeves to cover his ink.

• LI Phil | March 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm |

“all they could afford was the head”

~~~

i hate when that happens

• rpm | March 15, 2011 at 1:55 pm |

i am sure this is already viral if i got it, but since my boy chance is assumed to be eaten by a pit(they surround my house 3 deep in all directions) because someone let him out and didn’t keep an eye on him 2 days ago marring my favourite day of the year for all time, i could use a laugh

• LI Phil | March 15, 2011 at 2:31 pm |

wait…what? someone let the cat oot of the bag hoouse and now he’s gone missin’?

shit, man…

• rpm | March 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm |

pretty much. as a person, i have it good, i don’t live in a thousand places that could be worse, i shouldn’t complain, i’m just sayin’, chance is dog food. that’s it, i’m done for the day, loved the original choke, too bad whatever school ruined it with mean. gives me an idea for some drawings, think i’ll do that betwixt bobbling today.

• Coleman | March 15, 2011 at 2:39 pm |

If the NCAA tourney was played by the mascots like the Slate shows then my WVU Mountaineers would easily make it to the Final Four right? I mean the guy carries a musket!

• Aaron | March 15, 2011 at 2:51 pm |

I was initially a bit bummed they chose to use the Boilermaker Special instead of Purdue Pete, but now that it’s put that way, it’d be awfully hard for most of these mascots to stop a train.

• Coleman | March 15, 2011 at 6:07 pm |

Yeah, I think it should be living, breathing mascots for a competition like the one they made. That bracket actually looked fun, so I went into photoshop and picked first round winners! I based decisions off a few things: common sense, how intimidating a depiction of the real life counterpart is, and general gut feeling. I did do a little bit of research for a few of them as well. Here’s the link to my first round winners in the Mascot bracket…

[IMG]http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb434/cdubyoo242/Mascot%20Bracket/mascotsBracket2ndround.jpg[/IMG]

If people like it then I might just keep going.

-Coleman

• Coleman | March 15, 2011 at 6:09 pm |

Ugh, you’ll have to highlight inside the [IMG]’s… Quick link FAIL.

• Coleman | March 15, 2011 at 6:13 pm |

One last thing, I changed the Purdue train to Pete. Mascots must be living organisms for this competition in my opinion.

• Justin | March 15, 2011 at 2:44 pm |

Dodgers have announced hat give-aways for this season. One night in April, they are honoring the Lakers (purple and gold Dodger hat).
    Two dates in September, one for USC and one for UCLA. Dodger hats in the schools colors.

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 5:24 pm |

Ooooo, I can’t wait until I can get a USC hat in UCLA colors. Maybe next year.

• Chuck | March 15, 2011 at 4:05 pm |

I know this post is late, but boy do I hate those spring training hats with the “apron strings” on them!

• Ricko | March 15, 2011 at 5:20 pm |

Yeah, they bother me a helluva lot more than the spring training jerseys. Well, except for the jerseys with the silly-ass shoulder business going on (Mariners and others).

I mean, for some reason having a set of different shirts for ST kinda makes sense if a team chooses to go that way (saving the real thing for the guys Goin’ North). But the purpose of “a cap with a lot of crap” simply eludes me.

Maybe next year they’ll have bottle caps on them. Or pennants like that ridiculous thing Spike Lee “designed” (cough, cough) for the Yankees.

I know, caps with tags and stickers that stay on. In team colors. Cuz MLB gear should be inspired by streetwear. Not the other way around.

• Gusto44 | March 15, 2011 at 7:07 pm |

Agreed, the “apron strings” on the spring training caps must go. I would be supportive of alternate color caps, for example, the Orioles in orange and Pirates in gold.

Since we don’t want to use white, teams like the Yankees, White Sox and Dodgers would wear gray caps. Teal would suit the Mariners, while purple(what Colorado should always wear) suits the Rockies.

So there you have it.

• LarryB | March 15, 2011 at 4:30 pm |

Hey I saw that part on Lucy the other day too. I did not watch the whole episode. I did see Ethel say Fred beat that when she held up a 1909 Golden Gloves sweater.

• LarryB | March 15, 2011 at 4:32 pm |

For a long time here I have used Mozilla Firefox and the text to image add on tool. It was great for a site like this since many of the links for pictures would show in a small picture in the column. But lately it has not worked and now I have to click on each link. Was something done with the site to maybe disable that add on?

• Paul Lukas | March 15, 2011 at 6:11 pm |

Nothing from our end, Larry.

Try this plug-in:

• LarryB | March 15, 2011 at 6:33 pm |

Ok glad you saw and answered the question Paul

• LarryB | March 15, 2011 at 6:55 pm |

And I downloaded the cooliris and will check it out.

By the way I just downloaded the text to image add on for Mozilla and now I see it works again for this site. So it was the old add on.

• MPowers1634 | March 15, 2011 at 4:47 pm |

I just got the new Eastbay and they have a TON of retro baseball stuff…

• Mark K | March 15, 2011 at 5:17 pm |

Some cool stuff there- though the Nike logo placement really ruins most of those jackets.

The Indians hat has a script and “C” logo from 2 different eras.

• Komet17 | March 15, 2011 at 6:46 pm |

Actually, FORMER Governor Tim Pawlenty…the current Governor is Mike Dayton.

• Patrick_in_MI | March 15, 2011 at 7:36 pm |

I noticed a billboard today for FILA Skeletoes, kinda creepy yet interesting. Would Jim Vilk wear them?

• Jim Vilk | March 15, 2011 at 10:36 pm |

Maybe for Halloween…

• Drew Glover | March 15, 2011 at 11:10 pm |

Trying to hitch a ride on the Vibram FiveFingers train.

• LI Phil | March 15, 2011 at 9:20 pm |

what the fuck is TruTV?

• =bg= | March 15, 2011 at 9:42 pm |

used to be Court TV

• Silver Creek Doug | March 15, 2011 at 9:43 pm |

The station that is carrying the NCAA Tournament tonight.

Duh…

• LI Phil | March 15, 2011 at 9:54 pm |

yeah…thanks doug

i found it

so this station is carrying a whole mess of nc2a games this spring eh?

jim nance must be so proud to have this on his resume

• Drew Glover | March 15, 2011 at 11:08 pm |

UNC Asheville wore BFBS alternates tonight. I am pretty sure they didn’t wear those at all during the regular season.

UNCA for the national title!