Don't Mess with Texans

Texans-Titans cover.jpg

Got a note the other day from reader Billy Quinton, as follows:

I’m fascinated by the old Dallas Texans of the AFL, who later became the Kansas City Chiefs. My family is good friends with Bob Halford, who was the Texans’ PR director in inaugural 1960 season and later moved with them to Kansas City in 1964. He recently showed me a book he received after the team’s 1960 season.

The book features all of the Texans’ programs from that season. It was produced by Mayo Brothers, the Dallas printing company that printed the programs. They gave a copy to all of the team’s front office employees, complete with a letter from Mayo Brothers’ owner, congratulating them on a great year.

Billy scanned a bunch of the program covers and sent them my way. I was surprised to find that the book even includes the program covers from the Texans’ road games — in other words, programs produced by their opponents. Did Mayo Brothers print the programs for the whole league? Or did they just get copies of the programs from all of the team’s road games? Either way, the net result is an interesting glimpse at how the various teams approached one small but visible detail of their businesses — program cover design — during the AFL’s first season. It would be fair to say that some of them splurged while others did the bare minimum.

Here are some highlights from this amazing trove of material:

• Here’s the cover from the first game in Dallas Texans (and Houston Oilers) history. Interesting to see that the inaugural game was pitched as a leukemia-research benefit.

• When the Texans went on the road to Oakland, the Raiders used generic high school/college artwork with their logo slapped on as an afterthought. Embarrassing. Also, note that the home team is listed first (this also shows up on a few of the other programs) — unusual.

• How do you defeat a Charger? With a DisCharger, of course. Meanwhile, note that the Charger appears to be a centaur!

• How often do you see a football program cover featuring a branding iron?

• Hmmm, looks like someone didn’t know how to spell “peacemaker.”

• Another team that relied on generic collegiate artwork: the Broncos.

• The Bills commissioned their own artwork but only sprung for a two-color design.

• Here’s my favorite design of the lot. Love the typography, love seeing Pat Patriot as a bartender, love the spittoon at the end of the bar. Makes me want to see the rest of the Patriots’ program covers from that season.

• The Jets played up the fact that Sammy Baugh was their coach.

• I don’t know about you, but I find this cover commissioned by the Chargers to be a tad disturbing.

• This is pretty clever: When the Texans and Oilers played for the third time that season (!), the program cover referenced the covers from their two previous games.

• The Bills were named after Buffalo Bill Cody, the old Wild West star, but you never see him referenced in any of the team’s graphics. He makes a rare appearance, however, on this program cover.

• You know what I like better than almost anything? An infinite regression!

You may have noticed that most of these tremendous program covers carry a stylized signature: “Chase.” I asked Billy what he could tell me about the illustrator. Here’s his response:

John Churchill Chase was an editorial cartoonist from New Orleans. He did the first cartoon of the University of Texas mascot “Bevo” that’s still used today and did most of the Longhorns’ football program covers in the 1950s.

According to Bob Halford [the Texans PR guy who provided the book from which all these scans were taken], Chase was the New Orleans Times Picayune’s political cartoonist when the Texans came into existence. Bob knew Chase from their days at UT (Bob was sportsiInfo director there from ’57-’59) and hired him himself to do the team’s programs. The Oilers also had him do their programs, because they liked the Texans’ covers so much. Chase kept on doing the covers when the team moved to KC, at least until Bob left the Chiefs in 1964; he’s not sure how long Chase did them afterward. …

The Texans logo was done by Dallas Morning News political cartoonist Bill McClanahan. Bill was well known in Texas because he did the cartoons of all the Southwest Conference mascots for “Dave Campbell’s Texas Football.” That’s the football Bible down here. Some are still used today.

As for Chase, he was an expert on New Orleans and its history. He wrote a few books on the subject and, of course, illustrated. [There’s more about Chase here. — PL]

Phew! That, my friends, is some serious background info. I can’t thank Billy enough for sharing all this great material with us.

Screen shot 2011-03-01 at 10.06.52 AM.png

Cubbie Corner: I’ve written before about how the Cubs have been unsung uni innovators on several fronts. Now reader Joe Coney has turned up a 1959 Sports Illustrated article about Phil Wrigley, a portion of which finds the team’s then-owner weighing in on the subject of uniforms. Here’s the relevant section of the piece, beginning with a lengthy quotation from Wrigley:

“Take another thing we did. Around 1933 or ’34, we took the sleeves off the uniforms and had sweatshirts knit the same color as the uniform. It gave the players more freedom of motion, but they practically ran us out of the league for that. We had to go back to the conventional uniform because they were kidding our players, calling them pantywaists. I got the idea while I was in Canada at a directors’ meeting. We went some place where there was bowling. Canadians wear waistcoats, you know. They took their coats off to bowl, but they left their waistcoat on. They had freedom of motion. Look at the change in baseball uniforms! They’ve hardly changed!

“Last year, we had to make a rule about protective helmets. No one would wear them. Yet construction workers have been wearing them for years. In case someone dropped a rivet on their heads or something. Another thing was the socks! The socks stretched up to the thigh, then they rolled them down around the knee and wadded them. The player’s got all that wadding — and they expect him to break a record running to first! I often think baseball must have been invented by an Englishman — it’s so hard to get anyone to change.”

If the occasion demands it, [Wrigley] will personally impose his taste on the design for a new Cub uniform. “I’ve always preferred CHICAGO rather than CHICAGO CUBS on the uniform,” he says, “CUBS ends up on the stomach, and that emphasizes it. Just CHICAGO across the chest makes them look huskier. And all that lettering, CHICAGO CUBS, makes it look like JOE’S GARAGE.”

Priceless stuff there, especially the revelation that the Cubbies’ vests — which were the first ever worn in the bigs — were inspired by Canadian bowlers! That’s a major historical detail that I hadn’t previously known about. Major thanks to Joe for spotting this great info.

Uni Watch News Ticker: What the hell is this? Answer: Viewed from the front, it’s the Greatest. Full story here (thanks, Kirsten). … Check out this football player with letters spelled out in tape on his pants, these other players with tape-wrapped pant legs, and this sensational jacket. Those photos are from this absolutely spectacular photo site. The “Times Square” and “At Work and at Play” sections are particularly good, but all of it is worthwhile. Highly recommended (major find by Jon Hammer). … Speaking of major finds, dig this sensational 1938 Wilson basketball ad that Peter Greenberg turned up. I especially like the name on the ball. … Oh baby, check out this super-tasty Miami Amigos jersey that Dan Cichalski found. … According to the second graf of this story, Baron Davis is wearing No. 85 with the Cavs because “he grew up in his grandparents’ house on 85th Street in the Los Angeles area” (with thanks to Kurtiss Dilley). … The U. of Richmond is having an online vote to choose a new mascot. “The good news is they will have eight legs on the new spider,” says Ted Bloss. “The bad news is that all three designs are terrible. The odd news is that apparently everyone calls the mascot Spidey, but they can’t officially call it that because of a Marvel copyright.” … Donald Brashear, now playing in a semi-pro league in Quebec, is still wearing his old Rangers gloves (good spot by Alan Kreit). … The Yankees’ pinstripes have nothing on the ones worn by deposed Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak, whose pinstripes spelled out his name (great find by Eric Trager). … Here’s our first look at the Dodgers’ er-satins with the pants. “Not sure I like the white belt tunnel with the powder blue pants and royal belt,” says Phil. … Reds and Angels went red-vs.-red yesterday (with thanks to Michael Burnett). … Here’s a fun piece on the history of soccer balls used in the German Bundesliga (with thanks to Joe Poll). … New gray alternates for Oregon hoops (with thanks to Isaac Rosenthal). … Speaking of gray alts on the court, here’s a good story on Kansas State’s grays (with thanks to Ben Traxel). … Three of my favorite things — meat, the Mets, and uniforms — had a sort of harmonic convergence the other day in a court case (Eric Trager again). … Had ideas about bidding on this great football jersey until the price got way out of hand. … New uni set for Arkansas State football. Some chuckleheads on the Chris Creamer board noted the reinforced seams around the crotch and quickly made a Borat comparison. … This is fascinating: a photographer’s behind-the-scenes account of how Photo Day works at an MLB spring training camp (big thanks to Dan Cichalski). … Last week I mentioned that Arizona State would be saluting freshman Cory Hahn, who recently suffered a severe neck injury, by adding his uni number to their stirrups. That has now been done, plus the fourth graf of this story indicates that Hahn’s high school will be adding a patch (with thanks to Kyle Mackie). … The Cardinals played their first road Grapefruit League game yesterday. And just as they do every spring, their wore their red home caps with the road grays. I really should have included that trope in my ESPN column earlier this week. … Speaking of spring training rituals, someone on the Chris Creamer board just wrote, “The Yankees wear the pinstripes for their first home game of spring training. Other than that, they wear their BP jerseys.” Hadn’t realized that was a set protocol.

141 comments to Don’t Mess with Texans

• LarryB | March 2, 2011 at 7:52 am |

That artwork is fun to look at

• Paul Lukas | March 2, 2011 at 8:03 am |

Whoa, a rare morning sighting of LarryB!

• LarryB | March 2, 2011 at 6:57 pm |

HAHA the column was up before I went to work so I figured I could be the 1st to comment.

I really do dig that old artwork on programs.
        My brother does too.

• Chris | March 2, 2011 at 8:04 am |

All these gray basketball unis…you know it’s out of hand when even schools lik San Jose State are randomly going gray. GFGS!

Uni watch writers, someone should really do a daily piece on all the gray.

• Zach Smith | March 2, 2011 at 8:09 am |

I wonder if “piecemaker” was an intentional misspelling. It was done for an Oilers home game, and it could have been a way to poke fun at Dallas?

It could also just be a mistake, of course.

• Skott | March 2, 2011 at 9:22 am |

I kind of assumed it was intentional, as a reference to “piece of shit”. But that’s just my opinion.

• gimme that tonka | March 2, 2011 at 9:54 am |

“Piece” meaning gun. “Texas Piecemaker” is the manufacturer’s logo.

• CS | March 2, 2011 at 11:27 am |

Perhaps “Peacemaker” was a copyrighted name?

• RS Rogers | March 2, 2011 at 1:13 pm |

As far as I can tell, Colt first sought trademark protection for the term “Peacemaker” in 1963, and was awarded registration in 1964. So IP shouldn’t have been an issue in 1960.

As an aside, I shoot single-action revolvers, and while Colt does use the circle-R registered trademark symbol whenever it prints the formal name of the peacemaker – the Single Action Army® – I haven’t noticed Colt doing the same with peacemaker. Or even using the word peacemaker at all to describe those guns.

• Mark in Shiga | March 2, 2011 at 8:13 am |

That’s some great info about the Cubs and their vests. I had thought that the alternate jerseys in 1933-35 were just that, alternates. Were there pinstriped sweatshirts under their jerseys in 1933? Is that why there are two home designs?

• Seth F | March 2, 2011 at 8:27 am |

I don’t really have strong feelings, good or bad, for Kentucky basketball, but as I was watching some of the game last night vs. Vandy, it struck me that those have to be some of the most awful shorts I’ve seen in a while. I don’t know if they are supposed to be stripes, panels, or a platform for the UK logo to sit on. I do know that they are NOT claw marks or blue jean patches, which I would have liked much more than there current offerings.

I’m sure it has been talked about here before, but I just wanted to get that off my chest after seeing the game last night and not being able to sleep afterwards.

A belated congrats Paul on the 15 year anny. I look forward to viewing the site everyday!!

• Brett G | March 2, 2011 at 8:36 am |

Umm…Reds vs. D-Backs? The graphic in the shot says LAA. Pretty sure they are playing the Angels.

• Paul Lukas | March 2, 2011 at 8:55 am |

Brain-lock on my part. Now fixed.

• AK #44 | March 2, 2011 at 10:00 pm |

I googled some pics of him with the Rangers and it looks like he did wear these gloves in at least one of the pics.

• Juke Early | March 2, 2011 at 8:37 am |

Ditto on that Cubs uni history being excellent – thanks.

AND that Dodgers er-satin [great word there!]looks decent. Sure the white tunnels are extreme – but they do fit the style. BTW kudos to Andre Ethier for having a curved bill on the cap too.

• RS Rogers | March 2, 2011 at 8:51 am |

“Extreme”? The word we’re all all searching for is “awesome.” Or possibly “perfect.” The only problem with the photographed uni is the royal blue belt. Unless there’s photographic or artifact evidence that the original satins were worn with royal blue belts, the er-satin belt should be black or white.

Contrast-color belt tunnels is one of those things that one or more teams should wear as a regular feature, so kudos to the Dodgers for going all-in on this one.

• LI Phil | March 2, 2011 at 9:19 am |

thank you scotty…i didn’t make that to clear to paul — you obviously read my mind (which took all of 3 seconds), in that the belt of the 1940’s was likely black

as far as the tunnels being white…indeed, that’s awesome

• Chance Michaels | March 2, 2011 at 9:58 am |

I don’t know – hard to tell in this photo, but this belt looks blue at the back of the pants but black at the buckle.

• Chance Michaels | March 2, 2011 at 10:19 am |

Or I could have looked in this site’s archives – this great picture from an earlier conversation on the 1944 satins clearly shows the belt to be blue with a dark blue or black buckle.

• RS Rogers | March 2, 2011 at 10:27 am |

Then even more kudos to the Dodgers on this. But since the er-satins are notably less saturated than the actual satins, probably shoulda gone with a powder blue belt instead of royal blue. Less accurate as a belt, but more accurate in terms of preserving the overall look & feel of the original.

I’m hoping they sell a repro version of this. I’ve already seen the improved B-logo cap at a Lids store (at the Albertville outlet mall in Minnesota), so I have high hopes that the jersey will be available soon.

• Chance Michaels | March 2, 2011 at 10:40 am |

“I’ve already seen the improved B-logo cap at a Lids store”

The wha-?

Which “improved B-logo cap”?

• RS Rogers | March 2, 2011 at 1:22 pm |

This improved B-logo cap, the one in the picture. It’s improved, anyway, from the various Boston/Bakersfield fauxback Brooklyn cap logos that New Era has mainly put out in the last decade.

• Chance Michaels | March 2, 2011 at 2:43 pm |

I was afraid you were talking about that one – that’s the Bakersfield Dodgers logo. Sold by New Era for about a decade now, but never worn by the Bums.

The Brooklyn “B” should have loops. Not two crescents.

• RS Rogers | March 2, 2011 at 6:02 pm |

First off, if that’s a version of the Bakersfield cap logo, then it’s actually accurate: several extant Brooklyn Dodgers caps use essentially that logo. The Bakersfield caps I’m familiar with used something much closer to the Red Sox.

Secondly, the “Dodgers” logo I’ve most often seen on Cooperstown Collection caps is a lot closer to the Red Sox cap logo, but with a blue triangle carved out of the center of the stem.

The key is that the stem is composed of two curves, with no straight lines. Sometimes, Brooklyn’s B overlapped those curves into the circles of the B; more often the circles of the B were not broken. Anyway, that version of the Brooklyn cap is far more accurate than what I’m used to seeing, and it reflects a variation on the logo that was in fact worn by Brooklyn as evidenced by artifacts on public display. For example, the game-worn Jackie Robinson cap in Cooperstown uses that version of the logo, where the curves of the stem interrupt the figure-8 of the loops forming the B.

• Mark in Shiga | March 2, 2011 at 9:54 am |

I imagine these jerseys will be available to the public to buy, and given their simple, single-layer-lettering, unadorned look, they should be cheap (though I doubt they will be).

1944 Dodgers roster if anyone’s thinking of getting an original player’s number on the back. Not too many famous names on that 63-91 team, though with the war on there were a lot of teenagers and over-40s around. Ralph Branca, the Waner brothers, and Augie Galan are among the few that the average fan might know.

• Chance Michaels | March 2, 2011 at 10:30 am |

I’m getting a Branca. Good hurler, remembered for throwing one unfortunate pitch at the absolute worst moment. And #13 looks good in the McAuliffe font.

• Mark in Shiga | March 2, 2011 at 11:36 am |

I was thinking the same thing, Chance. With the McAuliffe font you need to have digits other than 1 and 4 (and 8, sort of), just like with the Cubs’ font you can’t have only 4 and 7, so that the distinctiveness of the font doesn’t disappear.

My grandfather was playing in high school in Brooklyn in 1944 and had #37, which was unassigned by the Dodgers, so I might get that as a shout-out to him.

Given the simplicity of the lettering, it might be cheapest to get an unmarked jersey and then have a local place put the numbers on the back. Plus you can’t trust Majestic to put the digits exactly 4″ from the collar. ^_^;

• Mark in Shiga | March 2, 2011 at 1:20 pm |

One more thing about the font: it looks like it’s not exactly the same as the font the Red Sox use now; the 4 has a base on it:

• Skott | March 2, 2011 at 9:25 am |

I was slightly disappointed that Andre wasn’t Breathing Ethier in that pic.

• Black Coffee & Bourbon | March 2, 2011 at 8:38 am |

On the program for the Texans/Chargers game in L.A. I really liked the little shield in the corner. Was that the Chargers original logo or secondary logo? It’s classy.

• Bernard | March 2, 2011 at 8:43 am |

Man, that Texan was good. Riding a bucking bronco, reading a program and rolling his own all at the same time! Love it!

• Jordan Bragg | March 2, 2011 at 8:53 am |

Since nitpicking is kind of the point of this site: Donald Brashear is wearing his old Capitals gloves, not Rangers ones. The Caps wear red gloves with navy trim/fingers, while the Rangers wear red with royal blue. The Rangers’ ones also have white between the backrolls and the thumb (eg: http://www.montrealg...)

• Ry Co 40 | March 2, 2011 at 10:19 am |

wow, great observation!

• KT | March 2, 2011 at 9:03 am |

The first meeting between the Texans and Oilers in 1960 would have to have been a preseason game. As an eight-team league playing 14 games in 1960 (the NFL only played 12 that year), each team played every other team twice and only twice. The Texans and Oilers didn’t play until Week 6 in Houston and then again in Week 13 in Dallas, according to records.

The Texans opened the regular season on September 10, 1960 at Los Angeles (and lost, 21-20).

• The Jeff | March 2, 2011 at 9:29 am |

Indeed.

Kinda weird to call the 3rd game a “Texas Championship” when the first game didn’t really count.

(insert Ricko reply about historical perspective or some such thing here)

• RangerJones | March 2, 2011 at 9:04 am |

DID SOMEBODY SAY PINSTRIPES?

Personalized pinstripes on suits are not just for Heads of State:

• The Jeff | March 2, 2011 at 9:34 am |

Nice. I wish I had the money to be able to spend $25,000 on a suit, so I could spend it on better things instead.

• Yeeb! | March 2, 2011 at 10:47 am |

Hosni Mubarak is a bad man.

But that suit is incredibly cool.

• LI Phil | March 2, 2011 at 9:09 am |

“For awhile we were the only guys who wore our uniforms with the socks showing

— Larry Jones

• Adam | March 2, 2011 at 9:12 am |

Yes the Yankees pinstripes for the 1st home spring game is a tradition began I believe about 10 years ago when the stupid batting practice things showed up as mandatory. Not surprised you didnt know this b/c you are not a Yankees fan, We forgive you though!

• Don | March 2, 2011 at 9:16 am |

Interesting that the piece on the Texans’ programs is posted on Texas Independence Day.

• Paul Lukas | March 2, 2011 at 9:35 am |

I didn’t even realize that. Nice coincidence!

• Colin | March 2, 2011 at 11:04 am |

Happy Texas Independence Day everyone!!!

• jdreyfuss | March 2, 2011 at 1:08 pm |

I suddenly wish my spring break was this week instead of next so I could be in Houston now.

• teenchy | March 2, 2011 at 9:38 am |

Wait, you find the Texans@Chargers cover more disturbing that the one with Buffalo Bill wrapped up with mistletoe as a present for the Texan?

• jdreyfuss | March 2, 2011 at 1:10 pm |

I’m still waiting for the Texan to lean in and plant one on old Bill under the mistletoe.

• teenchy | March 2, 2011 at 9:38 am |

Oops, Texans @ Chargers isn’t a link and replace “that” with “than.”

• Flip | March 2, 2011 at 9:39 am |

I’ve never heard of binding a season’s worth of programs. Wonder why more teams/schools don’t do that, especially for championship seasons.

Those Texan programs were a scream. My favorite, too, was the infinite image for the Broncos game.

Amazing that the basic Texans/Chiefs uniform has remained consistent for 50 years. Usually somebody has a wild hair and wants to tweak it. This one doesn’t. The original Texans logo http://3.bp.blogspot... was all but copied when they became the Chiefs http://4.bp.blogspot... . At least their secondary logos.

• Terry Proctor | March 2, 2011 at 10:19 am |

Lamar Hunt originally wanted Royal & Orange as colors for the Texans. But because he was such a class individual he let his friend Bud Adams of the Houston Oilers choose first. Bud chose Columbia Blue and Red. Not wanting too many predominately “Blue” teams (Oilers, Chargers, Bills, Titans of NY) Lamar changed to the Red & Gold. I still would have loved to have seen the Texans/Chiefs in Royal and Orange. If that had happened in 1960 would the Broncos then have switched to those colors in ’62? Probably not.

• Flip | March 2, 2011 at 10:42 am |

Colorization project anyone?

• The Jeff | March 2, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
        • Flip | March 2, 2011 at 10:16 pm |

Not a bad look, but I’m glad things worked out as they did. The Chiefs’ cherry red is pretty damned distinctive.

• Chance Michaels | March 2, 2011 at 10:44 am |

Reportedly the same reason the Patriots ended up in red.

Interesting – the move towards “every team in blue” wasn’t invented in the 1990s after all.

• tommyd | March 2, 2011 at 12:12 pm |

If the league was starting today every team would be in black

• jdreyfuss | March 2, 2011 at 1:11 pm |

Not the Browns. I’m pretty sure they’d be fairly close to where they are.

• Flip | March 2, 2011 at 9:41 am |

BTW, that Mohammed Ali sculpture is out of this world! Thanks for sharing.

• teenchy | March 2, 2011 at 9:59 am |

Thanks also for the link to the Larson NYC photos. I just discovered them yesterday on Shorpy. A good bit of cross-pollination between there and here, no?

• interlockingtc | March 2, 2011 at 9:59 am |

So much to love today….those program covers are delightful.

I really dig the Dodger er-satins. Beautiful.

Meanwhile, Richmond has the greatest logo possible already…

…and they want to change to some poorly rendered minor league baseball cartoon? Ugh.

• pflava | March 2, 2011 at 2:43 pm |

Of course they want to change. There is no obvious way to tell if this

is angry. Where is the snarl? The fangs with blood dripping?

• pflava | March 2, 2011 at 2:44 pm |

Idiots.

• MN | March 2, 2011 at 10:07 am |

Those programs are great. It shows you how “PC” we have become. I would bet the farm that some group would be protesting the cowboy holding a gun, and smoking a cigarette if the Cowboys tried that today.

• jdreyfuss | March 2, 2011 at 1:13 pm |

I don’t know about the gun but you’re definitely right about the cigarette. Revolvers and gun belts are pretty well ingrained as cowboy iconography.

• pushbutton | March 2, 2011 at 10:13 am |

Thanks for the phrase, “infinite regression”.

I assume that’s why the Miami Dolphin is wearing a helmet with a big orange ‘M’ on it; so we don’t see the dolphin with a helmet on it with a dolphin with a helmet on it with a dolphin with a helmet on it with a dolphin….

• Paul Lukas | March 2, 2011 at 10:14 am |

My favorite infinite regression project:

• LI Phil | March 2, 2011 at 10:24 am |

there’s always the hoff

/sorry

• Chance Michaels | March 2, 2011 at 11:38 am |

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

• rpm | March 2, 2011 at 12:50 pm |

mother of corn phil, hoff’s package gave me a seizure. i mean it is a nice package and all, i’m not saying anything about that, but daaaaang that hurt my head.

• Phil | March 2, 2011 at 11:49 am |

I always think of this when I see an example of infinite regression: http://weenfan.com/a...

• pflava | March 2, 2011 at 2:47 pm |

That is absolutely awesome.

• Ricko | March 2, 2011 at 10:24 am |

Generic game program covers were the rule rather than the exception back then.

Lead time and cost for color printing was hugely different than it is today. I have game programs for the Vikings into their third or fourth seasons still using “library” images.

As to cartoons, I beleive the San Diego Chargers used original cartons for their program covers, too. Spot color like that was far easier to deal with that process color. For those who don’t know what I mean, that’s like comic strips, where there aren’t continuous tones made up of different colors and color separations aren’t involved.

If someone wants to go into a long explanation, welcome.

—Ricko

• Flip | March 2, 2011 at 10:48 am |

In printing, most pages use one plate, black.

Spot color entails the use of at least two plates, black plus the spot color, usually red or blue (magenta, cyan)

Process color (which would include color comics) uses four separate color plates, cyan, magenta, yellow and black.

You’re welcome.

• Ricko | March 2, 2011 at 11:25 am |

My bad, should have singled our process color that invovled color separations and precise registration.

In the case of generic covers, teh separations were part of the deal, repsensenting a substanatial savings to the team who purchased use of them.

Was a different era. Just please try to get handle on that.

Sorta like there were generic posters for, say, Buck Jones westerns. The local theater could just print (or paste on, or hand letter) the current title in the blank space under, “Buck Jones in”

—Ricko

• Ricko | March 2, 2011 at 11:26 am |

sorry about the typos. Huge frickin’ sinus headache this a.m. Can hardly see.

—Ricko

• Billy Quinton | March 3, 2011 at 10:06 am |

Ricko,
      This is Billy, the one that supplied the images of the programs to Paul. You’re right about the original cartoons for the Chargers. The guy that gave me the programs and all the background info also mentioned the Chargers had original cartoons for their stuff. He couldn’t remember his first name but his last name was Hugenthal.

• KT | March 2, 2011 at 10:48 am |

Cool slideshow about stadiums that were proposed, but never built.

• Chance Michaels | March 2, 2011 at 11:40 am |

Oh, sure. They have to start with this one.

Rub it in, why don’t you. Fucking Dolans.

• Mickel Yantz | March 2, 2011 at 1:49 pm |

Nice link. I didn’t know about Seattle’s floating stadium. Sweet

• pushbutton | March 2, 2011 at 11:43 am |

Re: Cubs uniforms

I wish they would make the 1948 throwbacks they wore a couple years ago their permanent homes. NNOB home and away. The old lean, handsome number font with no outline. A thinner, more retro ‘circle C’ in place of the ‘Registered Trademark C’, which just says to me “purchase our brand!” a bit too lustily. It’s like the damn Golden Arches, that 1979 logo. Or like a WalMart badge. Give ’em a logo that says, “We’re baseball players trying to win”, not “We’re corporate flunkies modeling gift shop shirts”.

It doesn’t make sense that the pinstripes are considered untouchable. What kind of team experiments continually while winning pennants, and then suffers decades of futility in a uni they consider too ‘classic’ to change?

For the roadies, they should apply my “1968 test”. If your current design is not better than your 1968 one, GO BACK TO IT. The Cubs 1968 road uni was the most gorgeous in their history. The bear head logo on the sleeve (The ‘cute’ crawling Bear somehow always said to me, “Women…we want WOMEN to buy our product!).

At the very least, they should have long since revived the old 40s radially-arched CHICAGO with the underline. Delve into your own rich history, Cubs. Who has more of a right to try sleeveless? Cap piping? I fear a kind of spiritual arthritis has set in. It’s time to change.

• Chance Michaels | March 2, 2011 at 11:57 am |

It’s a good point. Uniforms typically ossify after a period of success.

Myself, I never saw the “crawling Cubbie” as somehow intended to appeal to women.

• pushbutton | March 2, 2011 at 1:12 pm |

But it’s so cuuuUUUUUuuuuute!!!!

:D

• Chance Michaels | March 2, 2011 at 1:31 pm |

The Cubs have a long history of cute sleeve patches. Even when they’re trying not to. Don’t know that you can jump right to “appeal to women.”

• RS Rogers | March 2, 2011 at 2:10 pm |

The bear is pretty obviously not any kind of attempt to appeal to women.

But even if it was, in what way would that be a bad thing?

• pushbutton | March 2, 2011 at 3:22 pm |

Nothing wrong with that. An observation. But as marketing is Job One to the Chicago Cubs, I felt the need to warn them their logos/symbols/patches have possibly reached their sell-by date. This will be more apparent to them after a few consecutive losing seasons, I hope.

When that time comes, though, I fear they will do the laziest thing possible: they’ll pull a ‘Mets’ and simply exchange the pinstripes for a headspoon. They’ll try that out as an alternate, leaving the same stale corporate logo in place. You read it here first.

• rpm | March 2, 2011 at 4:20 pm |

headspoon, i love that term.

• pushbutton | March 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm |

I love it too and I’d like to give credit to the poster who first used it here. Anybody?

I think I have the copyright on “gift shop shirts” and “1968 test”, though:)

• besty | March 2, 2011 at 5:48 pm |

The 1968 test is a great idea.

• abmir | March 2, 2011 at 11:54 am |

Apropos of little to nothing in the post itself but more of a general question: What’s the origin of all the anti-purple sentiment?

The color doesn’t have to be a signifier of the ’90s aqua/teal/purple/black/etc. color set. It’s one of the fundamental heraldic tinctures (as “purpure”) along with sable (black), vert (green), gules (red), and azure (blue) and the basic metals or (gold/yellow) and argent (silver/white).

What’s the story? How did this become the color of the beast?

• Chance Michaels | March 2, 2011 at 11:58 am |

Only Paul can answer for himself, but for my part, I think it looks awful as an athletic color because it reacts so differently to different conditions.

It too often looks blue under artificial light on television. Not the mark of a good sports color.

• LI Phil | March 2, 2011 at 12:09 pm |

many of those types of questions can be found in the Uni Watch F.A.Q. (located in one of the tabs at the top of the page…

the answer to the purple question, from there, is (or are):

Why do you hate purple so much?

I actually think purple in nature is quite nice — eggplants, violets, plums, etc. But purple in man-made design applications has always struck me as really tacky. Like, seriously, have you ever seen a purple car? A total nightmare. Same goes for purple clothing, especially uniforms.

Don’t you realize purple is the color of royalty?

Sure, but so what? I live in America, a country whose very conception was predicated on anti-royalty sentiment. Maybe that’s why, as I like to point out, not a single U.S. state uses purple as one of its official state colors. If that doesn’t fill your heart with patriotic pride, nothing will.

• abmir | March 2, 2011 at 12:31 pm |

Apologies and thanks.

So it’s just the tackiness and no specific trauma? Fair enough.

I always thought that the purple-royalty connection is tenuous, though. It’s just a late-period Roman Empire reference, right? None of the arms of any European royal family that I can think of features a purple charge or a purple field.

• Chance Michaels | March 2, 2011 at 1:37 pm |

It’s more than just Roman – went through the Middle Ages, although purple dyes apparently became cheaply available in the mid-19th century.

In any case, the connection remains part of the national (international?) consciousness.

• RS Rogers | March 2, 2011 at 2:01 pm |

Though in Roman times, senatorial purple was a lot closer to what we’d call burgundy or even Sedona red than it was to the color of a violet or a lilac or a Minnesota Viking.

• Jet | March 2, 2011 at 12:02 pm |

Another great edition in which I get no work done today. I could spend hours looking at those Texans programs.

And of course I had to read that Cubs uni article again in its entirety, even though I read it the previous time you posted it.

And I’ll probably kill a few more hours at that damn Frank Larson photo site.

Damn.

-Jet

• Paul Lukas | March 2, 2011 at 12:27 pm |

Our alternate slogan: “Uni Watch: Lowering Workplace Productivity Since 1999.”

Seriously, thanks for the kind words, Jet. I really appreciate all the enthusiasm that comes thru in your comment posts.

• KT | March 2, 2011 at 12:15 pm |

I have a Miami Amigos logo in a book somewhere at home, but hadn’t seen the jerseys.

• DAP | March 2, 2011 at 12:37 pm |

I thought those programs looked like old Tulane covers I had seen and when I saw the New Orleans connection and looked it up, turns out Chase did those as well. http://wavefootball....

• Paul Lukas | March 2, 2011 at 12:38 pm |

Shit, I meant to mention that in the text but forgot. Good call!

• JAson | March 2, 2011 at 1:41 pm |

Following the Nationals via MLB Gameday and they’re using a script Nats logo. I know this was on a concept jersey, but I didn’t realize it was actually adopted by the team…

• Chance Michaels | March 2, 2011 at 1:47 pm |

Yep, it’s on the official style sheets. I’d expect it to make jackets and the like, even if they’re not replacing the scoreboard sign.

Shame they didn’t put it on the jerseys.

• JAson | March 2, 2011 at 2:05 pm |

It certainly would’ve been a good look, even with the new trim, etc…

• EMD | March 2, 2011 at 2:37 pm |

Heck, I’d settle for “Nats” in a script.

• Chance Michaels | March 2, 2011 at 1:43 pm |

Think it’s great that in the first two meetings between the Texans and Oilers, whichever team’s mascot was pictured getting the upper hand actually won the game.

First game – Oiler being magentized, Texans win 24-3. Second game, Texan’s gun misfires, Oilers win 20-10.

• Dave Mac | March 2, 2011 at 1:53 pm |

Love the Texans programs. And also love the generic cover Denver decided to use for its program. I’m intrigued by a late 1800s to early 1900s era visual being used to represent football in the 1960s. I’d personally love it if teams used something like that today. Instead of photos of star players being used on the program of the Bears vs. Packers game, just use that.

Well, since that will never happen, I guess I’ll just have to use something similar to advertise my next Super Bowl party.

• Dave Mac | March 2, 2011 at 1:56 pm |

In fact, does anyone know where I can find that exact image without the word art?

• Dave Mac | March 2, 2011 at 3:24 pm |

Or…is there a good web site that has leather helmet era or earlier football art?

• RS Rogers | March 2, 2011 at 1:57 pm |

A designer friend of mine put together this baseball flowchart. Which aside from being hilarious, is relevant only by the long stretch that it’s gotta be the only flowchart that features all 30 current MLB logos as elements of a decision tree.

Apparently, I’m a Nationals fan because I have a soul and can’t tell you what’s in the thermos. Which about sums it up, in a way.

• LI Phil | March 2, 2011 at 2:30 pm |

ha!

i do use sports to distract from the drudgery of my own life

• Ry Co 40 | March 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm |

LMAO!

and i definitely don’t care if my team wins another game (what with our amazing, record breaking streak going on). so pass the ic light…

• rpm | March 2, 2011 at 4:31 pm |

there is a team here?
      ^
      ^
      true
      ^
      ^
      ^
      gravy, that is so>>>>> funny>>>>go sox!

• JTH | March 2, 2011 at 10:42 pm |

Fuck that thing. It told me I should be a Cardinals fan.

It’s flawed anyway. No way the Cubs should be after the tailgating decision. Ain’t nobody tailgating at Wrigley.

• Jules | March 2, 2011 at 2:40 pm |

Interesting look behind the scenes of photo day for the MLB. Was just looking at the White Sox collection of photos for this season and they are some of the worst photos taken of the players. I’ve never scene the cross-eyed look on so many guys. I shudder to see these photos up on the jumbo tron.

• pru | March 2, 2011 at 3:03 pm |

While watching some of the Kentucky/Vandy game last night, I noticed that Vanderbilt had some of the curly swooshes that troubled BYU last week.

To me it looked like the nike logo was sewn on with the jersey fabric stretched out, thus leaving the swoosh to “curl” when the fabric was let loose and unstretched.

• Dan | March 2, 2011 at 3:48 pm |

guys- i need a good name for my fantasy baseball team thats related to baseball but isnt already a team name…
    i couldnt think of any… i figured you guys would have some great ideas

• LI Phil | March 2, 2011 at 4:43 pm |

how about “meats”

i know where you can get shirts and everything

• Dan | March 2, 2011 at 5:13 pm |

meats it is
        the new york meats

• Dan | March 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm |

i need the link though….

• LI Phil | March 2, 2011 at 5:21 pm |

it’s the regular uniwatching (at) gmail addy

• rpm | March 2, 2011 at 5:58 pm |

let me know when they play the long island phils, but here you go. you get it here.

• rpm | March 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm |

shouldn’t it be something about you in some way? just don’t make it a thinly veiled sexual innuendo about you giant bat and balls and you can’t go wrong. how about gully washers? the story of the vleveteen rabbit is about a toys quest to becomes real, sort of like fantasy baseball, so how about velveteen rabbits? use your brain kid, it is so obvious…headspoons!

• Christopher | March 2, 2011 at 4:26 pm |

John Churchill Chase’s book “Frenchmen, Good Children and Desire” is practically required reading down here in New Orleans. I don’t know one person who doesn’t own the book.

• Matthew Radican | March 2, 2011 at 5:04 pm |

While searching the web to attempt to find the print on the Texans/Broncos game program I stumbled on this site that has more AFL program art. http://www.mmbolding...
    Anyway, if Billy Quinton can provide the name of the artist that is in the lower right corner of the Broncos cover a more through search can be made. I can only read Joe as the first name and A__ttar (I think) as the last name.

• LI Phil | March 2, 2011 at 5:23 pm |

sweet (i think)

sens will make their “heritage” jersey their new third sweater

• LI Phil | March 2, 2011 at 5:53 pm |

hey…remember the douchebag who kicked the owl?

he got fined & suspended

granted…$560 fine aint much

• Josh Petty | March 2, 2011 at 7:23 pm |

The Quad City Mallards (a Uni Watch favorite) are wearing special jerseys this Saturday which will be raffled off that night.

Here’s the link to the story about the promotion: http://myqcmallards....

Here’s a pic of the jerseys being raffled off: http://a1.sphotos.ak...

• Sean | March 2, 2011 at 7:58 pm |

Anybody notice the super-tight adidas jerseys some of the Louisville Cardinals tonight?

• Pru | March 2, 2011 at 7:59 pm |

It looks like Peyton siva and Charles smith of Louisville are wearing the form fitting adidas jerseys adidas promoted for the NBA all star game. The reason it’s noticeable is that the numbers on the back are much smaller and screened on.

• Cardinal Fan | March 2, 2011 at 8:38 pm |

The Cardinals’ road uniforms look SO MUCH BETTER with the red hats. The blue hats SUCK ASS. They Road uniforms have so much red in them that the blue hats (and belts) look out of place. Pisses me off every spring to see what could be.

Hey DimWitt (owner Bill DeWitt): Get it fixed, motherf*cker.

• scott | March 2, 2011 at 10:29 pm |

I take it you also hate the Boston Red Sox look since the navy cap is totally out of place with the red sleeves and stirrups – and definitely doesn’t go with the red softball tops.

I actually think the Cardinals look great on the road. The navy caps give an old-fashioned look to the club.

• JTH | March 2, 2011 at 10:59 pm |

That’s about right. The Red Sox looked a hell of a lot better when the sleeves were blue.

Ain’t that right, Roger?

• gpotiger | March 2, 2011 at 9:36 pm |

Color on color gone horribly wrong Mississippi at Auburn. Miss in their red and Auburn in orange. Tough to tell them apart on TV, will see if I can find a picture in a bit

• Natty Champs | March 2, 2011 at 9:41 pm |

that’s word (we pray)…this burns the retinas. i would assume it’s the fault of ole miss, who apparently came unprepared with only red unis. but seems like the teams would have communicated their uni choices beforehand.

it is, as you say, damn near impossible to tell them apart on tv.

• LI Phil | March 2, 2011 at 10:04 pm |

you know how bad all those concussions are for footballers? turns out, they might be bad for pucksters too

/sad

• JTH | March 2, 2011 at 10:52 pm |

Bob Halford, eh?

I asked for a peppermint
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Dammit. I didn’t want to have to do that. This late in the day and nobody mentioned the naming coincidence?

• John in Athens | March 3, 2011 at 12:57 am |

New York Mets racing stripe slacks?

That’s what it looks like on the left side of this (awful) picture of Darryl and Doc.

• Arthur Denny | March 3, 2011 at 4:40 am |

I know this is late breaking news, but the Harvard goalies wear NHL branded pants w/o striping (Phoenix?) while the rest of their team has white and black stripes on their crimson pants. Noticed this when Cornell hosted Harvard last month but just now found photo evidence in this gallery…

• HBC | March 3, 2011 at 6:31 am |

Most Patriots program covers were drawn by Phil Bissell, who created Pat Patriot, until the late 60s

• Sean | March 3, 2011 at 2:00 pm |

Ralph Wilson being cheap with programs? Shocking.

• Black Coffee & Bourbon | March 4, 2011 at 10:00 am |

What happened to the flowchart?!!?? That was hilarious and now it say forbidden. #FAIL

• Black Coffee & Bourbon | March 4, 2011 at 10:02 am |

You know what is also a #FAIL, posting a comment under the wrong blog entry. :)

• Manolo Blahnik | March 7, 2011 at 1:55 am |

Hey very great weblog!! Man .. Attractive .. Wonderful .. I will bookmark your blog and get the feeds