The Single Most Amazingly Awesome Photo in the History of Ever

awesome.jpg

I have a bad habit of engaging in way too much hyperbole (I even did it just there, by using “way too much”). I routinely describe things as great, awesome, the bomb, the shit, my-t-fine, tremendous, stupendous, cool, the bee’s knees, and on and on. Part of this is because I write about dozens of things on a daily basis and often feel like superlatives are the only way I can adequately and efficiently express my enthusiasm, and part of it is sheer intellectual laziness. Either way, I realize I often sound over the top about too many things. They can’t all be the bee’s knees, right?

Still, even given my penchant for gratuitous effusiveness, I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that the photo you see above is probably the single greatest image ever to appear on this site. Or if not, it’s certainly close. The jersey, the shorts, the skirt, the spikes, the hose, the composition, the focus — it’s a masterpiece! And it looks even better when you see a larger version of it.

Robert Marshall posted that shot in last night’s comments. He says it’s from this book. The date is April 9, 1955, and the caption reads like so: “During an Amateur Softball Association game, Linda McConkey of the Atlanta Lorelei Ladies executes a full-extension dive into third base as Jerrie Rainey of the Tomboys jumps for the ball.” A team called the Tomboys — I’ve been waiting my whole life for that and didn’t even realize it!

Colorizers, you know what to do.

New ESPN column today, about a very interesting chapter in basketball (and basketball uniform) history.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Gotta love this vintage Vets Stadium usherette uniform! … Here’s something really interesting: a letter from the National League office to the N.L. umpires, advising the umps about new lightweight summer uniforms. … This is a great country, and you know why? Because you can major in bowling industry management, that’s why (and look, there’s Peter Greenberg enrolling right now). … A gallery in Portalnd is about to host an exhibition of Trailblazers-inspired artwork (thanks, Kirsten). … You know BFBS has gotten out of hand when it afflicts a team called the Red Bulls (with thanks to Dave Leiphart). … Instead of color-on-color, how about white-on-white? That’s Roseau and Wayzata, two Minnesota high schools, from last weekend’s fifth annual Hockey Day Minnesota (with thanks to David Caruso). … If an auto plant had a softball team, what kind of patch would they wear? This kind. Is that awesome or what? It’s from a Hudson Motors plant, and is one of several great uni-related photos that Doug Mooney took a few years ago at the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum. You can see the whole batch here. … Speaking of cars and uniforms, I really like the lettering on this baseball jersey. … It now looks like the Pirates may add a Chuck Tanner memorial patch after all. As it happens, Tanner’s grandson, Zack, is a Uni Watch reader. “I have zero inside knowledge as to the team’s plans,” he says, “but the family was given these Stargell Star-esque stars over the past few days. They have a sticky back, just like the replica stars the team wears with throwbacks. I think it would make a killer patch.” … Here is a partial list of people who I would rather see as owner of the Mets than Donald Trump: Mark Cuban, Phil Knight, Bud Selig, Hal Steinbrenner, Ron Paul, Jimmy Qualls, Luis Castillo, and Hosni Mubarak (but not Dan Snyder, David Koch, Gary Bettman, Hank Steinbrenner, Rudy Giuliani, John Rocker, Oliver Perez, or Robert Mugabe). … Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: A certain douchebag-ish marketing term has migrated from the gridiron to the diamond. Sigh. … Meanwhile, the sublimated sweatback patterns are now available on T-shirts (with thanks to Collin Wright). … Here’s something really good: an interview with the guy who designed the New York Cosmos logo, among other things (big thanks to Mark Weinstein). … Nice to see Chipper back among the high-cuffed (with thanks to JR Francis). … Speaking of the Braves, Dan Uggla is wearing No. 26. “He wore 6 with the Marlins, but I’m assuming that will be retired for Bobby Cox,” says Britton Thomas. … O.J. De Castro notes that the Bulls wore red at home on Tuesday. Was that a Valentine’s Day thing? … The only problem with this shirt is that nobody would be caught dead wearing the corresponding “good” version (thanks, Phil). … Here’s a video about Under Armour’s new design lab. “They mention a new shirt technology that will be used at the NFL combine,” says Joe Hilseberg. … Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: The Indians now have block-C batting helmets, which will presumably be worn on the road. … Also from yesterday: Here’s a good story about how the Wild’s team name and visuals were chosen, including a slideshow of ideas that didn’t make the cut. … It’s hard to tell from this photo, but Grant Goldman says Mike Bibby’s headband on Monday night didn’t have the NBA logo. … Ryan Dowgin recently sent three footballs to the Wilson factory in Ada, Ohio, to be rebladdered and relaced. They came back in two weeks, good as new. … If you’ve liked the infographics that’ve been featured on the site lately, you’ll flip for this iPad app that tracks every single MLB game since 1951. Even if you don’t have an iPad, I strongly recommend that you watch the whole video — it’s really fun (major thanks to Matt Shevin). … We’ve occasionally mentioned indoor baseball here on the site. Now Tim Wood has gathered 20 uni-notable photos from that sport into this Flickr set. Lots of good stuff in there, but here’s the keeper. Not only is it a gorgeous uni, but that’s Frank Halas — Papa Bear’s brother. … More interactive infographics, this time comparing Kobe Bryant to Michael Jordan in every conceivable way (with thanks to Coachie Ballgames). … “Here’s a strange modification to a jersey, seen at Wednesday night’s Penguins/Avalanche game,” says Dane Drutis. … Jason Isringhausen, a long shot to make the Mets roster, is already the subject of some uni-numerical speculation (with thanks to Dan Cichalski). … Michael Worley noticed some inconsistencies in the Lakers’ warm-up attire last night. … Fascinating article about how helmets in women’s lacrosse may do more harm than good.

145 comments to The Single Most Amazingly Awesome Photo in the History of Ever

• DJ | February 17, 2011 at 7:48 am |

Except when the Red Bulls’ “black” shirt is actually dark blue. Not that you could quite tell from the photo the NYT Blog ran.

• Chris Holder | February 17, 2011 at 9:42 am |

Still though, it’s just stupid for a team that includes a color in its nickname (even if it’s the name of a company/product) to wear a dark jersey that is dominantly some other color, regardless of the circumstances. It’s almost as bad as a team named after a color wearing, I don’t know, a black jersey… but we know that would never happen.

• SeanMcSean | February 17, 2011 at 10:15 am |

I disagree. They’re the red bulls. So they have a blue jersey with red bulls on it. Whats the problem?

Whats stupid is when the white sox wear black socks, or when the red sox wear blue socks

• JTH | February 17, 2011 at 10:20 am |

Not nearly as stupid as the Blue Jackets’ coaches wearing gray jackets.

What?

• Chris Holder | February 17, 2011 at 11:48 am |

You know what? I’ll go so far as to say that maybe, just maybe, in this case a different color can be justified since the nickname IS referring to a product. I’ll stand by my original statement, though. If you are the Blue Devils or the Red Wings (and yes I know that haven’t worn black… yet), or etc., etc., going with a different color is dumb, especially if it’s one that isn’t an actual TEAM COLOR. I realize there are two sides to every debate though. I just think that of all the teams doing CFCS (color), teams such as these should be the last ones to ever resort to that.

• jdreyfuss | February 17, 2011 at 10:57 am |

I don’t mind the blue jersey. It makes sense, given that Red Bull has a blue can and the image that comes to my mind when I think of Red Bull is two red bulls facing each other across a yellow circle on a blue background. That’s what it is here.

Of course, if they wanted to be really authentic to the can they should have the logo over blue and silver harlequin quadrants.

• DJ | February 17, 2011 at 12:17 pm |

The Red Bulls did wear a red change jersey in their first season as the Red Bulls. They changed to navy in the second season, and have gone with it since. I think they mirror their sister club, Red Bull Salzburg, in uniform colors.

But, as some of the posters have alluded to, the most important feature of the jersey is not the team crest, but the Red Bull brand. Which shows up better with a dark background. And as jdreyfuss sagely pointed out, it’s only a matter of time before they try to run out a royal blue-and-silver kit to match the can.

• Jason H. | February 17, 2011 at 9:57 am |

In other MLS uni news, here’s Chivas USA’s new jersey, with new sponsor Corona: http://espn.go.com/b...

• Christopher | February 17, 2011 at 1:18 pm |

I agree it *may* be BFBS, but note that Red Bull has been using black in a lot of sports (and other things) it sponsors.

Its NASCAR cars are often black.

I know if you pick up a can of Red Bull, there is no black beyond outlines and type. So I can agree its BFBS. But just note that it is part of their sponsorship package.

• Kirk | February 17, 2011 at 8:25 am |

I bet the woman with the strangely modified Avalanche jersey went to see Colorado play away games in Montreal and Calgary.

• Hank-SJ | February 17, 2011 at 9:03 am |

More like a Tanguay groupie since he played for both the Habs and Flames after leaving CO. Wonder why no Lighting logo since he spent a year there, too?

• ken | February 17, 2011 at 12:51 pm |

My son is taking hockey lesson and there is a parent and tot class on the ice at the same time.. the other day one of the dads had a Lidstrom Detroit Winter Classic Jersey with the Patches of all the Cup Finals he played it. (picture to be posted when I get home from work)

It looked good!!!!

• Jeremy Brahm | February 17, 2011 at 8:28 am |

The Blazers art is actually in Portland first!!! February 18th to March 13th.

• Paul Lukas | February 17, 2011 at 8:37 am |

Actually, it’s *only* in Portland, not in Austin (which obviously makes more sense). I mis-read the first link and have now swapped in the one you provided. Thanks!

• traxel | February 17, 2011 at 8:28 am |

*I have a bad habit of engaging in way too much hyperbole*

I just don’t know where you writers come up with so many words, stories, and the like on a DAILY basis. That’s a good thing. We all have our gig, and you definitely found yours, Paul. I truely think it is amazing how you find the verbiage and put it together the way you do. Amazing to me. And the picture is a doooozy.

• Paul Lukas | February 17, 2011 at 8:44 am |

Thanks, Ben.

I don’t know how you visually creative people do it, either.

For that matter, I don’t know how fiction writers do it. I’ve tried fiction, and I mostly just sit there thinking, “Hmmm, where do I start?” But with non-fiction (journalism, storytelling, etc.), it comes naturally. Like you said, we all have our gig.

• Broadway Connie | February 17, 2011 at 10:03 am |

“…Colorizers, you know what to do…”

****

Dammit, this is important. Phil, Matt, Chilvers, et alia: this may be — no, must be — the single greatest contribution you can make to the human legacy. What are the colors of the stripes on the side of the silder’s shorts? How about that hint of a skirt?

• Broadway Connie | February 17, 2011 at 10:53 am |

Forgot from yesterday.

RPM: I like this one:

” …apparently i didn’t lurn to link in cowlige…”

And thanks for slicing up your book to make today’s hyperbolically gorgeous photo. 1955, huh? Let’s say she was 25 at the time… Which would make her 80 or so, right? And I’d bet that photo was snapped in some Midwestern place, probably a pretty big city. Suggest you consider door-to-door inspection of all assisted-living facilities within an 80-mile radius of the Merchandise Mart.

• Matt Williams | February 17, 2011 at 1:07 pm |

I am on it. :) I am doing some research right now to see if I can find anything that would give me a hint as to the various team colors.

As an aside, I found this group picture of the Atlanta Tomboys. Year unknown:

• George Chilvers | February 18, 2011 at 3:45 am |

Well my version’s already in to the guys :)

• Rob S | February 17, 2011 at 3:27 pm |

Fiction’s not so hard for me… half the time, my mind’s off in a fantasy world as it is. That, and I’ve been cited as being pretty good at multitasking….

• interlockingtc | February 17, 2011 at 10:47 am |

I’m always saying “that’s the greatest thing ever” because…well…it is.

Until the next nugget comes along and floors you.

Life is full of treasures waiting to be unearthed, revealed, rediscovered, recognized. Uniwatch just keeps giving–as you say, Ben, on a daily basis. And that IS amazing.

• Ricky | February 17, 2011 at 8:28 am |

Looks like the Wilson factory put the old NFL shield on those replaced balls?

• Ray Barrington | February 17, 2011 at 10:30 am |

I think Paul said the ball was re-bladdered and re-laced, so the original outside was kept.

• Broadway Connie | February 17, 2011 at 10:34 am |

I could use some re-bladdering.

• JTH | February 17, 2011 at 10:52 am |

It does wonders for your balls.

What?

• JTH | February 17, 2011 at 10:50 am |

It’s the NFL equipment tags that have the old logo, not the actual balls.

• Jeremiah | February 17, 2011 at 8:40 am |

With the way they played last night, a little warmup inconsistency is perfect. Perhaps the Lakers should have worn jerseys emblazoned with the word “Generals” instead.

• MN | February 17, 2011 at 8:42 am |

Jesus that was bad last night!

• jdreyfuss | February 17, 2011 at 10:59 am |

They’re gonna ruin the Cavs’ shot at a record season. Why would they do that?

• MN | February 17, 2011 at 8:43 am |

I bet those block ‘C’ will be worn with the alts too, but it would be sweet if they went with red batting helmets with those.

• jdreyfuss | February 17, 2011 at 11:01 am |

It would be sweeter if they got rid of the red hats or put a white outline around the blue C. Without it, it looks muddy.

• Jet | February 17, 2011 at 11:15 am |

Good call, dreyfuss.

-Jet

• pushbutton | February 17, 2011 at 11:16 am |

No outline is the coolest part, though. It’s the oldest of old school, and you don’t want to look in the slightest like the Cubs.

• jdreyfuss | February 17, 2011 at 11:29 am |

Tradition for tradition’s sake is a bad thing. That hat is practically unreadable.

• JTH | February 17, 2011 at 11:56 am |

How would a red cap with a blue/white-outlined block C make them look like the Cubs?

• DJ | February 17, 2011 at 12:26 pm |

I think he’s referring to a blue cap with a red “C” outlined in white.

Oddly enough, the Cubs wore navy as their color until the early 1940s, IIRC, when the Wrigley design and advertising team re-did the uniforms and switched to a brighter shade of blue.

• Chance Michaels | February 17, 2011 at 12:28 pm |

Pre-HD, I would have agreed with you.

Funny, but technology has in this case freed us to return to much older designs.

• jdreyfuss | February 17, 2011 at 2:32 pm |

The blue cap with the red C isn’t a problem. It’s the blue C on the red cap that’s illegible.

• jdreyfuss | February 17, 2011 at 2:32 pm |

And I’m not talking about on TV. I’m talking about in person, at a distance of about 300 feet. You know, where most people at the game will be.

• Chance Michaels | February 17, 2011 at 3:14 pm |

But not most people watching the game.

• LI Phil | February 17, 2011 at 8:44 am |

apparently it is too late for phillies fans to get their sweethearts an usherette uni…which, considering the rather racy history of the “hot pants patrol,” is understandable…or not

• Paul Lukas | February 17, 2011 at 9:25 am |

Oops. Will fix text.

• Matt B | February 17, 2011 at 8:46 am |

Re the Pennant app: Tufte just soiled himself.

• pk | February 17, 2011 at 8:58 am |

Hey Paul,

anytime you link to a NY Times story (re: the woman’s lacrosse helmets), it’s only for people who have accounts…just letting you know

• Chance Michaels | February 17, 2011 at 9:29 am |

I think “free” is a worthwhile price to pay for accessing the Paper of Record.

• Rob S | February 17, 2011 at 8:58 am |

What, no Lightning logo for Tanguay’s stint in Tampa Bay last season? It’s not like she didn’t leave room!

• teenchy | February 17, 2011 at 9:05 am |

UW is the last place I’d expect to be greeted with an upskirt shot, but there it is.

Hudson Motors patch is cool but I’m surprised they didn’t try to incorporate some form of the company’s famed triangular logo.

• LI Phil | February 17, 2011 at 9:13 am |

anyone have miguel cabrera on their fantasy team?

now might be a good time to dump him

• Richard | February 17, 2011 at 12:24 pm |

or drive him home

• MN | February 17, 2011 at 12:46 pm |

He just took a mighty tumble on my draft board.

• Richard | February 17, 2011 at 12:52 pm |

if he can still put up the numbers, how are you gonna drop him on your board? yes something’s wrong since he got pulled over, but if his on field performance doesn’t drop, you’re gonna lose out on a premier offensive performer

• Patrick_in_MI | February 17, 2011 at 6:41 pm |

This just in…(teletype sound effect)…Cabrera will be changing his uniform number to .24

• John C | February 17, 2011 at 9:13 am |

Vincennes has a very competitive bowling team that competes in the NJCAA (junior colleges). The bowling industry management major is basically a way for the team to be able to be at a bowling alley at all times.

• b-t-p-h | February 17, 2011 at 9:21 am |

Dealership in San Francisco:
    other Automobilia:
    1950s AAU DC Truckers logo patch:

• Jason Gomez | February 17, 2011 at 9:26 am |

You, know I would rather see a swoosh on baseball clothes then the Reebok vector (too chunky) or Majestic (too bulky) or Adidas, too many excuses to use the 3 stripes.

• Dan | February 17, 2011 at 9:54 am |

Looking at the other options, I really wish the Wild had been the Voyageurs. Part of it is I actually really like the logo and colors, and part of it is that I just don’t like the collective names (Wild, Heat, Magic, etc.) I can see little boys growing up “wanting to be a Laker” or “wanting to be a Yankee”, but “wanting to be a (member of the)Heat”? Closest to acceptable are the ones that have coined new words, like the Avs, or just modified it – such as members of the Tampa Bay Lightning being Bolts.

Otherwise, I still feel like I’m talking about Arena Football.

• The Jeff | February 17, 2011 at 10:42 am |

Well, you see, it’s not about wanting… those hockey playing kids in Minnesota are just Born to be Wild.

• Ricko | February 17, 2011 at 10:50 am |

This is, to my mind, a great piece of advertising creative…

—Ricko

• Ricko | February 17, 2011 at 11:06 am |

The lyrics…
          MINNESOTA WILD ANTHEM

We were raised With the stick And a pair of blades
          On the ice we cut our teeth
          We took our knocks In the penalty box
          Our mother was the referee

This sport was here Before we came
          It will be here when we’re gone
          The game’s in our blood And our blood’s in the game
          Lay us down under A frozen pond

We will fight to the end, We will stand and defend
          Our flag flying high and free
          We were born the child, Of the strong and Wild
          In the State, the State of Hockey

A big blue line runs around our state
          A line that can’t be crossed
          The day they try to take this game
          Is the day the gloves come off

We will fight to the end, We will stand and defend
          Our flag flying high and free
          We were born the child, Of the strong and Wild
          In the State, the State of Hockey.

—Ricko

• AnotherGuy | February 17, 2011 at 1:51 pm |

Ricko, regarding the Minnesota Oxen: wouldn’t that lead to some rather unfortunate connotations about exactly what sort of procedure turns a bull into an ox??

I mean, “Blue Bulls” is one thing, but…

• Dan | February 17, 2011 at 4:34 pm |

You do realize a bull and an ox are two different species, right?

The procedure you’re talking about would turn a bull into a steer.

• Ricko | February 17, 2011 at 4:53 pm |

…and somebody might get two minutes for slashing.

—Ricko

• AnotherGuy | February 17, 2011 at 5:53 pm |

Eh, all I was relying on at the point I wrote it was a memory from college days of a friend who was a farmer: An ox is a bull that’s been fixed.

Here’s what Wikipedia has to say:

“An ox (plural oxen), also known as a bullock in Australia, New Zealand and India, is a bovine trained as a draft animal. Oxen are commonly castrated adult male cattle (castration makes the animals more tractable), but cows (adult females) or bulls (intact males) may also be used in some areas.”

So, for whatever that’s worth… who knows.

• AnotherGuy | February 17, 2011 at 5:55 pm |

Would the penalty be slashing? Or interference?

Of course, major vs. minor is another story altogether…

• Bernard | February 17, 2011 at 10:49 am |

Minnesota nIce

• Chance Michaels | February 17, 2011 at 10:51 am |

Anything but “Freeze” would have been a huge improvement.

• Dan | February 17, 2011 at 4:36 pm |

Well, color me corrected. I was thinking of a water buffalo.

• TC Mark | February 17, 2011 at 10:57 pm |

Voyageurs would have been my choice…and I submitted it way back when. It fits the state’s history, etc. but at the time mini-vans were still the rage and I recall there being some speculation in the local media that kids would think Plymouth “Voyager” not Minnesota “Voyageur”. Whatever. It proves once again that it is about selling jerseys and t-shirts to 10 year olds, not embracing history, building on traditions, etc. What about taking the opportunity to educate those 10 year olds that it isn’t the mini-van but a time in the state’s history?

And another thing…where did the Wild find this creative “agency” to do the what-if concepts?! I work in creative and marketing in MSP and I have never heard of “The Shinebox”. Really? Embarrassing to the profession and the tweaks that come out of the many talented minds of the UW readers blows this crap out of the water.

Stepping off soapbox now…

• Ray Barrington | February 17, 2011 at 10:31 am |

Not mentioned in the Wayland Moore article about the Cosmos logo: He also designed the original Atlanta Falcons logo. *Which IMHO is better than the current one*

• DenverGregg | February 17, 2011 at 1:22 pm |

The original Falcons logo was one of the best in the NFL. It really looked like a letter F regardless of whether the bird faced right or left (no mean feat there) and it was simple. That new logo is among the very worst in all of North American professional sports.

• pflava | February 17, 2011 at 3:45 pm |

He also designed the Atlanta Chiefs logo

which I always loved.

And I still think the original Falcons logo is one of the very best of all time. In any sport. Dropping it in favor of the drunken Falcon should be a criminal offense.

• Broadway Connie | February 17, 2011 at 6:39 pm |

Yeah, that Chiefs logo is wonderful.

• Ricko | February 17, 2011 at 10:47 am |

Related to nothing…
    Was it Brooklyn that was called “the city of homes and churches” back around the turn of the 20th Century?

—Ricko

• Chance Michaels | February 17, 2011 at 10:50 am |

Don’t know, but it is called, every now and then, “the borough of churches” today.

• Broadway Connie | February 17, 2011 at 11:00 am |

Yeah, part of Brooklyn’s pre-1898 sense of apartness from New York was that it was where one encountered what might be called “family values” today. Lots of churches (with some famous preachers), lots of solid, proper row houses, nothing very flashy, rather dull, in fact. The near-by suburban city of New Rochelle, NY (founded and named by Huegenot refugees) also adopted that so-lame “City of Homes and Churches” motto…

• Paul Lukas | February 17, 2011 at 11:05 am |

Ray Gatto, who designed the Mets’ skyline logo, has specifically stated that the church spire silhouette that’s included in the logo is “symbolic of Brooklyn, the borough of churches.”

• JTH | February 17, 2011 at 11:09 am |

I may be way off here, but isn’t New Rochelle a lot closer to the Bronx than it is to Brooklyn?

• MPowers1634 | February 17, 2011 at 11:18 am |

Hence the New Rochelle football helmets, once worn by Ray Rice, sported a purple fleur-del-lis.

They have more recently gone to numbers on both sides of the helmet.

BTW, in the photo, they are facing North Rockland, whetre I work!

And James, NewRo is in Westchester county, very close to the Bronx.

• Ricko | February 17, 2011 at 11:58 am |

And, of course, Rob and Laurie Petrie lived in New Rochelle.

—Ricko

• walter | February 17, 2011 at 9:45 pm |

…And Walter.

• rpm | February 17, 2011 at 11:03 am |

i scanned that photo specifically for phil’s colourization section. there is stuff going on in the background, there are no giant fields of colour, and it is a great shot. done right, this should have great depth, and could be a masterpiece. there was one problem, the photo crossed the seam of the book so i had to scan it in pieces, 3 to be exact, and then photo shop them together, make sure the brightness matched, etc. which took a little time, but for a monkey, i think i got it to come out all right. no, the gold section was not a seam. i saved it as a relatively large file pieced together, but i do have the three huuuuge(40inch) pieces if anybody wants to have extremely large files to work with, and do a better job of what i did in PS. just get in touch. one more thing to add, i will send some UW stirrups to whomever knocks it out of the park on this one. i suppose we need a deadline, how about 1 week after the favourite, mr. chilvers finishes, or opening day, whichever comes first. i wish all of our colourizing wing of the ocd club luck.
    and so you know…
    the ALL’s & TB’s have some interesting history, and morehsitory including some colour clues.
    …so when broadway asked, “what colours?” i am guessing the tomboys are royal blue & white, and the lorelei ladies are scarlet & gold

• rpm | February 17, 2011 at 11:29 am |

let’s see what happens, the first comment is in moderation, but…
      another ALL

if you didn’t see it in the other links blue TB’s

i’m sticking with my royal and white v. scarlet & gold

• rpm | February 17, 2011 at 11:30 am |

so it does show up with the comment you are replying to in moderation. good to know.

• Broadway Connie | February 17, 2011 at 12:08 pm |

Love the Tomboys!

• rpm | February 17, 2011 at 12:41 pm |

nope, lorelei ladies is far superior. you just know it references the lorelei rock…

“According to German legend, there was once a beautiful young maiden, named Lorelei, who threw herself headlong into the river in despair over a faithless lover. Upon her death she was transformed into a siren and could from that time on be heard singing on a rock along the Rhine River, near St. Goar. Her hypnotic music lured sailors to their death. The legend is based on an echoing rock with that name near Sankt Goarshausen, Germany.”

• Matt Williams | February 17, 2011 at 1:11 pm |

I would love to have a copy of the larger version. And thank you for doing the leg-work on the color research.

• rpm | February 17, 2011 at 1:20 pm |

i know i have yours somewhere, but send me an email… rpmarshallart at gmail

remember the large image is in 3 pieces, you will need to put it together and remove the seams to make the single image.

• Matt Williams | February 17, 2011 at 1:48 pm |

Thank you. E-mail will be on the way shortly.

• rpm | February 17, 2011 at 2:48 pm |

for anyone who wants the pieces parts here you go. you will have to fiddle with them.

• possum | February 17, 2011 at 11:17 am |

I bought the Baseball Americana book at a BJs wholesale store almost a year ago for less than the Amazon price. It was an awesome find!

Go Braves!

• MPowers1634 | February 17, 2011 at 11:22 am |

BTW…a purple nightmare for Paul…
    New Rochelle against Monroe-Woodbury:

Ray Rice is cursed by the purple…perhaps he can someday play for the Vikings!

• Austin | February 17, 2011 at 11:24 am |

colorado rockies new logo for spring training

• DJ | February 17, 2011 at 12:22 pm |

Clever combination of the Rockies shilouette and a D-Back snakehead for the complex’s logo.

• Jet | February 17, 2011 at 11:24 am |

Those rejected designs for the Minnesota hockey team are certainly intriguing.

As much as I long for the return of a snappy purple uni like the original LA Kings (sorry, Paul), that “Northern Lights” uni just fails in so many ways that I can’t even be bothered to list them.

The Blue Ox? Eh, no. Dumb name, they’d wind up being called the “Blox”. Hideous logo. Stupid city/team name on the shoulders – WTF?!

The Voyageurs? Strangely, I almost like this. The best part is the white socks with the dark jersey – shades of the early 70’s Bruins (yellow socks w/ black jersey). The logo however… at a glance the boat looks like a giant SHARK FIN in the water!!!

The Freeze – I kinda like this. Bright blue color combo reminiscent of the early Quebec Nordiques in the WHA. Again with the team name on the shoulders, stop already. But I agree with others that I don’t like these kind of team names, i.e. Heat, Wind, Fire, Storm, Lightning, blahblahblah…

White Bears – unusual colors for an old-school look. I like the reverse on the upper arm where the numbers are. Logo ain’t bad. But guaranteed they would end up completely reworking it in a few years, changing the colors, etc.

An interesting article, though…

-Jet

• jdreyfuss | February 17, 2011 at 11:32 am |

The could have called them the Babes instead of the Blue Ox. And wouldn’t Blue Oxen make more sense? Collective singulars only work (as well as they can anyway) when they’re collectives, not just singulars.

• Skott | February 17, 2011 at 1:00 pm |

I think all 5 names a terrible, as is “the Wild”. At least their current logo is the best of all the suggested.
      But those proposed unis are atrocious. You shouldn’t dress hockey players in aqua, or color-changing purple. Those all looked like weak minor league hockey alternates.

• DenverGregg | February 17, 2011 at 2:39 pm |

During the brief flurry of activity between the Nordiques’ departure to Denver and their unveiling as the Avalanche, there were rumors floated of the Colorado Cougars and the Rocky Mountain Xtreme. Very glad we dodged the last of those.

• Ricko | February 17, 2011 at 2:59 pm |

Oh, admit it. You secrectly miss “Rocky Hockey”.
        Well, the phrase, at least.

Okay, that brings us to a question…how many of the Big Four teams took their nickname from franchises that had failed (or moved) in a different sport in the Big Four?

Not even gonna think, just gonna ask: Any other than Colorado Rockies/Denver Rockies?

—Ricko

• DenverGregg | February 17, 2011 at 3:28 pm |

. . .they actually both have the name “Colorado Rockies”, which is since there aren’t any mountains in my hometown.

If you didn’t have the “big four” limitation, the Avs score that too based on the old MISL Denver Avalanche.

Edmonton Oliers were before the collapse of the Houston variety. Ottawa Senators were a name before the Washington Senators collapsed.

• Ricko | February 17, 2011 at 3:33 pm |

My bad. Meant in the same town/market.

—Ricko

• AnotherGuy | February 17, 2011 at 6:02 pm |

Ricko: how about the San Francisco Seals in the old PCL and the California Golden Seals?

I mean, not “”quite”” MLB to NHL, but the Pacific Coast League was about as big as it got in those days.

• Rob S | February 17, 2011 at 7:04 pm |

In the same market, probably none… the closest would be the Pittsburgh Pirates NHL and NFL clubs, except they were both named after the baseball club, the hockey team lasted only five years before folding after one more year as the Philadelphia Quakers, and the football team renamed itself the Steelers.

And the Pirates didn’t slip into perpetual failure until Barry Bonds couldn’t throw out Sid Bream.

• jdreyfuss | February 17, 2011 at 8:04 pm |

The Chiefs of course used to be the Dallas Texans (not Houston). There was a Houston Texans franchise in the WFL if that counts.

• Chance Michaels | February 17, 2011 at 3:27 pm |

I don’t think that these were “rejected designs” – they’re brand new designs, commissioned as part of a 10th anniversary commemoration and based on the names which were rejected back in 1999.

• Ricko | February 17, 2011 at 3:31 pm |

Wish the Wild’d go back to the original green jerseys with the big bear head.

Never been a fan of the “Holly Jolly Christmas” look.
        Maybe wear the reds only in December?

—Ricko

• Richard | February 17, 2011 at 11:49 am |

Darren Rovell just pointed out — Madoff Mets shirts

AND they’re blue!

• Paul Lukas | February 17, 2011 at 11:56 am |

Today’s ESPN column is up:

• Chance Michaels | February 17, 2011 at 12:10 pm |

What a great story. Hard enough to start up a new league, harder still when you’re trying to break through the male dominated world of pro sports, and then all that? Yikes.

• Aaron | February 17, 2011 at 3:10 pm |

Good column, Paul. A basketball chapter I definitely never knew existed. I would love to see a roster for that game, though I’m sure that’s long gone.

Also, I think there’s a word missing on that last sentence.

• Paul Lukas | February 17, 2011 at 3:54 pm |

Yikes. Thanks for that catch — will inform my editor.

• Rob S | February 17, 2011 at 7:19 pm |

Wow, how did I miss that back in ’91, being a Detroiter? Oh, wait, I wasn’t as obsessive about sports as I am now until after I got out of high school. Hadn’t gotten hooked on ESPN yet…

• Brendan | February 17, 2011 at 12:12 pm |

On the Pitt Nike Sublimated shirt, they’ve omitted the reference to the Oakland Zoo (Pitt student section) which appears on the jersey. Maybe because the Oakland Zoo already has their own Nike T Shirt.

Not sure if any of the other shirts are modified from how they look on the jersey.

• Corey | February 18, 2011 at 4:19 am |

the Duke and West Virginia shirts are both missing things and I still haven’t gotten a good look at the back of the Ohio State jerseys but Arizona, Villanova, and Illinois seem to be spot on.

• Jim Vilk | February 17, 2011 at 12:19 pm |

Dont’ see the need for them on a jersey, but on a shirt those sublimated designs are nice.

Old-time indoor baseball? I’d like to see that. And I still say someone should start an arena wiffleball league.

I agree with keeping helmets out of women’s lacrosse. Take them away from the men, too. Football has shown how more protection just leads to more violence. Aussie football has no helmets and it’s still rough, but there are way fewer concussions. For the doctor who said, “Any time we can prevent a concussion, we should try to do it,” I say this: Yeah, you prevented a concussion, but you’ve indirectly caused many more in the process. Why not soften the equipment (padded sticks, mushier balls, etc.) instead?

• Jim Vilk | February 17, 2011 at 3:54 pm |

Keep helmets in baseball, though. Definitely.

• Glenn | February 17, 2011 at 12:21 pm |

Really interesting ESPN article today. Not used to seeing a picture of Scott Hastings in a tux, that might even be more striking than the unis those women were given to wear. These days, when Hastings isn’t calling Nuggets games, he can usually be seen doing local sports talk on tv with holes in the armpits of his sports coat. If I ever see it happen again, will get a shot of it.

• Jim Vilk | February 17, 2011 at 12:24 pm |

Not posting this because yet another team is pinking it up (the MISL’s Baltimore Blast), but because of the writer (a woman), who says these awareness days are the only time she wants to see pink at a game.

• MN | February 17, 2011 at 12:54 pm |

1989: On Jan. 7, the N.C. State basketball team takes the court wearing one-piece unitards, which are so embarrassing that the players wear shorts over them. The bodysuits are worn one more time and then scrapped, with Wolfpack coach Jim Valvano tactfully explaining, “The players complained that the unitards just weren’t as comfortable as they think they could be.”

Let us not forget the Wolfpack thought this was a good idea at least two years before these ladies.

• LI Phil | February 17, 2011 at 1:36 pm |

i loved the “it looked better on paper” quip from paul’s mothership piece

indeed…would they be using eight foot rims or were there supposed to be trampolines to jump like that?

/mj in his heyday didn’t get that much air

• Ricko | February 17, 2011 at 2:00 pm |

Putting together a new league is always…an adventure.

Was sitting around with Dennis Murphy when he was in the early stages of the World Basketball League (or whatever the hell Dennis was up at the time), and he was talking about the league having, by rule, no players taller than 6’4″.

Someone said, “How about this, Dennis…just limit every team to no more than 30 feet of players on the court at any one time?”

Launched a pretty funny discussion (and calculating) for a few minutes. “One 7-footer and four 6-footers wouldn’t work, that’d be 31 feet of players…”

Another of those things that “looked better on paper.”

—Ricko

• JTH | February 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm |

8-foot rims? No, 9 feet, 2 inches.

The thing I dont’ understand is if they were playing on the Pistons’ home court, how was it 4 feet shorter? Were the rims/backboards just two feet closer to center court? It sure doesn’t look like the baselines were modified so that would make it a standard 94-foot court.

• pflava | February 17, 2011 at 3:57 pm |

Ok, I haven’t read the ESPN piece yet so forgive me if this is mentioned already, but why are the ladies in those two pictures attempting free throws standing that far behind the line? It just looks odd.

• Corey | February 18, 2011 at 3:54 am |

More than likely they took out sections in between the half court circle and the top of the key which wouldn’t effect the look of the court at all.

• Bill Cartwright | February 17, 2011 at 1:45 pm |

Why is Jordan’s statue wearing #32?

• JTH | February 17, 2011 at 2:36 pm |

The basketball legend famously wore the number 23, and then 45 when he made a brief comeback with the Wizards. But never 32.

Nope. He wore 45 with the Bulls and the Birmingham Barons, but never with the Wizards.

Also from that article:

So why the switch? Yahoo suggests it may have been done to avoid trademark issues (which is a moot point because of the use of the jersey and logo), or it might have been a simple mistake.

Maybe there’s something to that. There is no NBA logo on the jersey and the shorts don’t appear to have the Bulls logos on them.

Is the vertically-arched block BULLS wordmark itself trademarked? It’s fairly generic.

• JTH | February 17, 2011 at 2:38 pm |

Well, I fucked up those tags. Let’s try this again.

Also from that article:

• Rob S | February 17, 2011 at 7:33 pm |

I’m just slightly amused the footage came from ABC’s Detroit affiliate.

• Jeff S. | February 17, 2011 at 2:21 pm |

So why is Cody Ross “designing his own jersey”?

• Pat | February 17, 2011 at 2:25 pm |

All soccer unis are exempt from BFBS. Soccer “change” kits commonly change colors year after year and can go from white to black to neon snot with none of those being official team colors. The Red Bulls first kit is white shirt, red shorts, white socks so they do have red in it. Their new “change” kit is actuall like a Chicago Bears navy blue, so yes it’s black essentially.

• Pat | February 17, 2011 at 3:03 pm |

I want to modify my exemption for soccer bfbs. It would be be bfbs if their first kit went black. All “change” kits are bfbs exempt.

• Wes | February 17, 2011 at 3:23 pm |

Should have seen this coming: Paul, you and your fellow mets fans have another T-shirt option. Would you like “Mets”, “Meats”, or “Madoff”?

• LI Phil | February 17, 2011 at 3:32 pm |

rtfm

• Richard | February 17, 2011 at 4:20 pm |

thanks Phil

• Simon Lindsay | February 17, 2011 at 4:59 pm |

is it just me or is it just weird that in the NBA wearing your home coloured jersey at home is an odd thing to do, shouldn’t they wear their home shirts all the time and wearing the white shirt be an away thing?

• jdreyfuss | February 17, 2011 at 8:10 pm |

In the NBA the white jersey is the home designate. The color jersey is the away designate.

• CC | February 17, 2011 at 5:36 pm |

I think Mike Bibby goes “logo-less” on his headband because he wears Jordan Brand headbands and turns them inside out so the Air Jordan logo is hidden. That’s what he was doing when he was with the Kings.

• Scott Little | February 17, 2011 at 6:24 pm |

No beer drinking unit in the Vincennes Bowling Industry Management program?

Sounds incomplete.

• lemonverbena | February 17, 2011 at 7:02 pm |

A few uni-related photos on the Chargers twitter feed: http://twitter.com/c...

Player nameplates adorning the wall to the equipment cage: http://picplz.com/us...

Equipment manager game ball: http://picplz.com/us...

• John parker | February 18, 2011 at 1:14 am |

No image yet but Rob Lowe was wearing a workout shirt with a Nike swoosh on the front on tonights episode of Parks and Recreation. Wonder how much Nike paid for that

• Corey | February 18, 2011 at 3:48 am |

I don’t think thats out of the ordinary as I’ve noticed Adidas, Nike, and Under Armour shirts on a variety of the NBC shows.

• Ricko | February 18, 2011 at 3:06 pm |

Happy Birthday, Ryco!

—Ricko

• NHLJersey | February 19, 2011 at 3:31 am |

Hi.NHL Jerseys on sale,buy your favariteNHL Hockey Jersey for you.the best team :
    Chicago Blackhawks Jerseys and
    Pittsburgh Penguins Jerseys .