So Much for the Blur

x610.jpg

I still think it would’ve been more entertaining to put Knight and Plank in the octagon and let them settle it like men. Until someone recognizes the obvious genius of that proposal, I suppose we can discuss some of the more uni-notable aspects of last night’s game:

• After all the speculation about the new Auburn pants striping that appeared in that Under Armour commercial and at the Under Armour truck, I was surprised that the Tigers stuck with their usual pants. Good for them. (To repeat, though, Auburn equipment manager Dana Marquez has told me that the team will have new pants striping next season, along with “War Eagle” printed on the back of the pants. I don’t know for sure that the new stripe pattern will be the same as the one in the Under Armour promotions, but that seems like a logical conclusion. Then again, it had seemed logical that they’d use the new striping last night. Whatever — I can wait six or seven months to find out.)

• As for Oregon’s pants, they sure looked better than the white-on-white look they were originally slated to wear. Major upgrade. Only surprise was that they didn’t come out with yet a different set of pants in the second half.

• For weeks I’ve been hearing how Oregon’s DayGlo socks would “blend into” the DayGlo trim on the cleats. I still don’t understand all the fuss about that — football teams have been wearing white socks that “blend into” their white cleats for nearly 40 years now. Does it look sleek? Yeah, it does. But it’s not like Nikegon pioneered anything unique here.

• Blending notwithstanding, I thought all the DayGlo — on the socks, cleats, number outlines, sternum crest, helmet, knee braces, do-rags, etc. — looked like shite. Great way to ruin an otherwise decent uniform. That goes double for Cliff Harris, who really overdid it with the socks (now there’s a phrase you don’t often hear me saying).

• Ducks RB LaMichael James started out wearing this helmet (which I believe is a brand-new design, no?). By the second quarter he’d switched to this one, which I believe he stuck with for the rest of the game.

• Auburn kicker Wes Byrum wears No. 18, but reader Stefan Spasovski notes that his helmet is number 118. I think we’ve discussed this before (not about Byrum, but about other Auburn players), but I can’t recall the explanation for it. Little help..?

• Michael Koch points out that the battle between Nike and Under Armour was officiated by a crew wearing Adidas.

• EA Sports produced video game previews of all the major bowl games, including last night’s. “What’s interesting,” says Patrick Runge, “is that the jerseys have NOBs. Thanks to Sam Keller (the least popular Nebraska quarterback ever) and some of his friends, EA is currently involved in a lawsuit for using the likenesses of college athletes without their permission. And that’s with using, for example, ‘QB #9′ instead of ‘Keller’ in their games. Given that the suit is ongoing, I thought it a little strange that EA Sports would include NOBs in their preview. Wonder if this was the work of some overexcited intern and it slipped through the lawyers.”

Meanwhile: Over the past month, ESPN produced two “BCS Champs” iPad apps — one for each school. I know, because I contributed an article to each of them (very odd to write two pieces and know for sure that only one of them will be published). The Auburn one is now available at the iTunes App Store, or whatever it’s called; the Oregon one, as I joked in last night’s comments, will be distributed for free to impoverished iPad users in the Third World.

Now then: How long until pitchers and catchers?

Contest reminder: Today is the last day for the Grey Flannel Auctions photo contest. Details here.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Disturbing report in yesterday’s Wall Street Journal, where it was reported that the iconic Brannock Device — such a pure piece of functionally specific design that I have one tattooed onto my right arm – is facing a flood of cheap knock-offs. … Yesterday I mentioned that Willis McGahee appeared to be wearing gloves with cut-out palms. As literally dozens of readers told me, those are Cutters. McGahee is even one of the players featured on the company’s home page. … The Blackhawks celebrated the 50th anniversary of their 1961 Stanley Cup on Sunday night, which apparently explains the little decal they wore to the left of the helmet numbers (as noted to Ryan Mandel). … Here’s a great rundown of all the Playboy All-American photos (with thanks to Christopher Smith). … Recent Twitter chatter from Jets executive Matt Higgins suggests that the team is considering going with a Klecko-era throwback (with thanks to Brian Erni). … Fascinating women’s gymnastics leotards at Arizona State. The football motif, the jeweled pitchfork — weird! And I assume the uni number refers to the desired score (nice find by Erkki Corpuz). … Here’s a rarity: a football field with black yard markers. “That photo is from McLaurin High School in Star, Mississippi,” writes John Benal. “When the grass dies in mid-fall, white lines are hard to see on game film, so they paint the lines black.” … Kevin Durant will be wearing special sneakers for Martin Luther King Jr. Day (with thanks to Arin Mitchell). … It shouldn’t come as any surprise that I really, really love this old basketball jersey. … One of the odder chapters in MLB uni history is the Dodgers’ use of green trim in 1937. That design was the subject of this cartoon back in the day (great find by Bill Francis). … Check out the 1977 NBA All-Star Game patch. Love that they used a beer mug motif for a game in Milwaukee. … FNOB alert. That’s Bert Jones (duh) from his LSU days. “They also had, I believe. Ben Jones and Dub Jones,” says Ricko. … New uniforms for Princeton lacrosse (with thanks to Warner Bailey). … The Philadelphia Union will announce a new jersey sponsor today — and apparently it will be Bimbo (with thanks to Marc Malfara and Bernie Langer, respectively). … Tried to win this football uni catalog yesterday but got outbid. Mike Hersh, were you the winner on this one? … You know how the Eagles and Steelers had to merge during WWII and become the Steagles? Here’s what it’d look like if the Steelers and Jets became the Stets. Kyle Napiontek was so upset by that illo that he actually admitted seeing it in the new issue of Maxim. … A little birdie who’s friends with someone close to Miami football coach Al Golden sends the following report: “[The person who’s close to Golden] says Golden plans on getting rid of the current uniforms next season and going back to the uniform template of the ’80s. He also said they would only break out the Pro Combat uniforms for one game — home versus Ohio State.” … Great gallery of old Rice football program covers here. … The knees have eyes. That’s Noora Raty, the University of Minnesota’s goalie (with thanks to Chris Fogler).

213 comments to So Much for the Blur

• gpotiger | January 11, 2011 at 8:28 am |

When Auburn has multiple players with the same number, the helmets get a designation of an extra one. Kodi Burns and Wes Byrum are both 18 so…

By the way Musburger owes you a dollar for using your costume quip in the introduction of the game last night in re Oregon.

• Mike Edgerly | January 11, 2011 at 8:35 am |

Remember this pic from 2007 which illustrates the two #18’s on Auburn: http://cache.boston....

• daniel | January 11, 2011 at 8:42 am |

118 is his locker number. same as cam newtons helmet 102. 102 is cam’s locker number.

• Andrew H | January 11, 2011 at 12:38 pm |

Plus, I looked at the rosters and all the players with three digits helmet numbers share their number with another player.

• Phat | January 12, 2011 at 2:35 am |

I knew I shoulda grabbed a screenie last night.

At one point right before they kicked the final field goal, the two #18’s were actually next to each other on the field. Thought I was losing my mind at the moment. Only way you could tell them apart was one of them was dirty as hell.

• The Jeff | January 11, 2011 at 8:36 am |

As for the EA Sports NCAA thing, the game has an option to auto-fill the rosters with random names. Unless the names in the video were actually correct, there shouldn’t really be any problem.

• jdreyfuss | January 11, 2011 at 8:46 am |

What’s stranger is that none of the other bowl previews have real NOBs. They all have position-number NOBs.

• DB Cooper | January 11, 2011 at 10:59 pm |

This may have skirted the lawyers, but the more likely explanation is that the Sim is different from the Game.

The Sim is, at least arguably, is news/commentary, which receives nearly absolute First Amendment protection. The Game, at least according to Keller’s lawyers, is commercial speech.

At one extreme is SportsCenter – they obviously use player names, likenesses, etc, without permission and without repercussion. At the other is an Under Armour ad – they’d clearly be liable if the included an identifiable player (even a pro) in an ad without permission.

The Game and the Sim both fall in between, though the Sim is pretty close to SportsCenter. The Game…TBD.

• jdreyfuss | January 11, 2011 at 8:46 am |

I know how big (and high quality) Bimbo is, but I hope they paid extra for the implications when sponsoring a team in an English speaking country.

I was at that Rice-Duke game, but I don’t even remember them selling programs. I definitely would have bought one of those.

• Jeremy | January 11, 2011 at 1:29 pm |

they’ve been doing some “educating”- I’ve read that these billboards are appearing around Philly http://farm5.static....

• Dane | January 11, 2011 at 1:46 pm |

That same billboard is at the entrance to the George Washington Bridge as well.

• Danbert | January 11, 2011 at 9:00 am |

Congrats to Mark Prusinski who won the Uni Watch College Bowl Pick’Em pool!

I got a creditable 22nd, not bad for a Limey 1st Timer!

Danbert

• pru | January 11, 2011 at 9:12 am |

I’ll take it!

• chimp | January 11, 2011 at 10:39 am |

pru~
        i said i would send the winner a pair of UW stirrups. if you are interested, get in touch.

• pru | January 11, 2011 at 11:48 am |

I’d definitely love a pair. How do I go about it?

• chimp | January 11, 2011 at 1:33 pm |

send me a line… rpmarshallart at gmail

• pru | January 11, 2011 at 6:52 pm |

I sent you an email…thanks!

• Phil in Joplin (new witty name coming soon!) | January 11, 2011 at 11:02 am |

According to Yahoo, I was in 2nd place overall (one of 4 people with 25 pts, but probably due to the tie breaker system). So close!

If pru doesn’t take the stirrups, send them my way….ha!

• chimp | January 11, 2011 at 1:34 pm |

4th place? no hose for you!

• jdreyfuss | January 11, 2011 at 12:43 pm |

I got 17 points. :P

I did manage to go 9-1 after January 1 though, so maybe I just do better when I actually know the teams playing.

• LI Phil | January 11, 2011 at 9:00 am |

what’s with the herb leaf in the lower left corner?

• Ricardo Leonor | January 11, 2011 at 9:41 am |

That leaf was of course the only thing I noticed!!!!

• Rob S | January 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm |

I’m guessing it has something to do with the fact that it’s in an issue of Maxim?

• Thornus | January 12, 2011 at 4:09 am |

It’s Drew Magary. Writes for Deadspin and various Uproxx blogs (think Kissing Suzy Kolber). I know KSK has made at least one or two marijuana jokes in the past, and I’m sure Big Daddy Drew had at least a hand in them.

• JB Early | January 11, 2011 at 9:01 am |

Though I’m sure the Pitchers & Catchers Q was rhetorical, in the case of the team I’ve rooted for 55 years-it’s 34 days. The number(s) which remains unknown are 4 & 5. . ..

• teenchy | January 11, 2011 at 9:02 am |

Love the Rice program illos, both for their unbridled optimism and their lack of polish.

Also love the TSN ’37 Dodgers cartoon, though I don’t get the Pepper Martin reference.

I find it odd that someone would make the effort to put Troy Polamalu in a Jets uniform and not change his helmet.

• The Jeff | January 11, 2011 at 9:11 am |

Yeah, that picture is a bit weird. I’m kinda curious if he actually photoshopped the Jets uniform and didn’t do the helmet, or if he just put Polamalu’s head on a Jets player.

Either way it seems a bit half-assed.

• Jon | January 11, 2011 at 9:08 am |

Thank God those hideous uniforms lost (I had nobody to root for in last night’s game, so I chose to root against Oregon’s uniforms).

• Corey | January 11, 2011 at 9:15 am |

The MLK player additions aren’t a new thing. Almost every player sponsored by Nike wore and MLK edition last year.

• Corey | January 11, 2011 at 9:20 am |

correction: player editions

• Paul Lukas | January 11, 2011 at 9:24 am |

First peek at NHL All-Star jerseys:

Official unveiling is, I believe, today.

• Kyle Allebach | January 11, 2011 at 3:07 pm |

Except for the sleeves, I think those are pretty good jerseys.

• All Hail The Swoosh | January 11, 2011 at 9:34 am |

how can anyone, anyone, think about pitchers and catchers during the NFL PLAYOFFS?!

just cant wait til 2012 when the playoffs are covered by the greatest logo of all time. the world needs more nike.

• Aaron | January 11, 2011 at 9:52 am |

I definitely can. My mind went pretty much straight from baseball to college basketball, and then back to baseball.

• LI Phil | January 11, 2011 at 10:09 am |

i agree…it’s always baseball season, but it’s not as hard whilst the playoffs are going on…

it’s that void between the super bowl and the first pitch of spring training that sucks…there’s no real sports to follow (i could use the olympics every year…but that would kinda ruin the specialness of the olympics)

bring on an earlier baseball season and the 18 week nfl season

• Geeman | January 11, 2011 at 10:45 am |

Spoken like someone who hasn’t spent a winter on Tobacco Road. ACC hoops is a beautiful thing between football and baseball.

• Aaron | January 11, 2011 at 11:41 am |

From everything I can see, outside of Duke, there’s not much beautiful coming out of the ACC this year.

• Jack | January 11, 2011 at 11:00 am |

The delay between the Superbowl and Spring Training always get to me. It is like being a kid right after Thanksgiving waiting for Christmas one month later. So close yet so far. The delay make me appreciate spring training that much more…

• All Hail The Swoosh | January 11, 2011 at 12:07 pm |

baseball is entirely overrated. noone outside of the major markets even bother to follow. when your team is as good as your pockets are deep, its an uneven playing field.

football, specifically, the NFL, is the greatest sport going today. Nothing even comes close. dont believe me? look at the ratings for the world series compared to the superbowl. even the commercials are a big deal in the NFL.

all you pitchers and catchers have Bud Selig to thank for the downfall of “America’s Pastime.”

dont get me wrong. love talking baseball uni’s. just not during the NFL season. i conclude this post by quoting the NFL Network…There is NO offeason.

• Aaron | January 11, 2011 at 12:19 pm |

Sounds like somebody has swallowed NFL marketing hook, line, and sinker. Maybe there’s a little more to that user name?

• Geeman | January 11, 2011 at 12:47 pm |

I generally don’t care for the NFL until college football season is over, but I understand how video-game kids love it. However, your statement about baseball is just flat out wrong. No matter where you go in this country, people are sitting in dinners reading the standings every summer. How many people attend MLB games in this country every year?

• The Jeff | January 11, 2011 at 1:13 pm |

You can’t seriously compare MLB attendance to NFL attendance. They play 10 times as many games. Baseball allows for a much more casual following – you don’t need to watch every game or keep up very closely until the very end of the season – which can easily lead to a non-fan thinking that no one else cares either. The fact that ESPN tends to focus on the Yankees & Red Sox all the time doesn’t help any.

/and the game is only fun to watch if you’re there, it’s boring as hell on TV

• Geeman | January 11, 2011 at 2:40 pm |

As usual, THE, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Signing off for the day.

• Simply Moono | January 11, 2011 at 5:30 pm |

First off: Baseball/Base Ball/Beisbol is NOT overrated. If anything, it’s UNDERRATED, but so are the metal bands Anthrax and Overkill.

Secondly, as much as I love Nike (dare I say it? No Homo… ugh… -_-), we need manufactuer diversity in the world. You can’t just have one brand of a certain thing, because competition runs this shit that is our Planet Earth.

Take for example, last night’s BCS game. In order to establish a Nike/UnderArmour rivalry, UA’s gotta win SOMETIME, or else it ain’t a rivalry. I can tell you what the world needs LESS of: Adidas.

• Rob S | January 11, 2011 at 12:48 pm |

“there’s no real sports to follow”

NHL fans love you too, Phil. :P

As the Detroit Tigers had many bad, bad seasons in recent years, I long got into the habit of not paying attention to MLB until after the Stanley Cup. It’s less so since the Tigers have improved in recent years, but I still don’t pay much attention to preseason baseball.

• All Hail The Swoosh | January 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm |

College Football is the sporting version of American Idol. It is a bogus organization. You dont need computers to decide who the best team is. We are living it right now, its called PLAYOFFS!

• DanKing | January 11, 2011 at 10:23 am |

see and i’m the opposite. i don’t care when pitchers and catchers report. spring training, ota’s, and things like that don’t interest me. at least as a soccer fan i can watch all year long if i so choose.

• All Hail The Swoosh | January 11, 2011 at 12:08 pm |

and noone even cares about soccer. go cross the pond with that noise. ha!

• All Hail The Swoosh | January 11, 2011 at 12:36 pm |

@AARON:

hey man, the shield is turning out some of the best kool-aid out there. its so delicious…once it hits your lips! haha

• Jim Vilk | January 11, 2011 at 1:42 pm |

So long, football (and quit dawdling, NFL), and take your time, baseball…it’s basketball season!

And indoor soccer, too.

• empebe | January 11, 2011 at 9:44 am |

I know I’m not the only one who thought the Oregon neon looked pretty slick, wish the coaches gear matched.

• Boomtown | January 11, 2011 at 9:49 am |

Yeah, I gotta say, I liked them too. Just like I like Auburn’s uniforms for being classic looking, I liked Oregon’s for pushing the envelope, I guess.

• Flip | January 11, 2011 at 11:24 am |

Yeah, it was kind of fun, but there were conflicting allegiances.

I know folks who attended both schools, and the Auburn folks are the nicer of the two.

But I’d rather root for the PAC over the SEC.

The Cam Newton thing made me queasy regarding Auburn.

I like Nike stuff far better than (click-clack) UA stuff.

Still, the classic uni vs. the new-age uni presented a nice contrast. I’m a white athletic socks guy, but the tennis ball look didn’t look as bad as feared.

• The Jeff | January 11, 2011 at 11:51 am |

I think they needed more neon actually. I would have liked to see a neon stripe on the pants, and maybe on the helmet too.

• Ricardo Leonor | January 11, 2011 at 9:45 am |

My 12 year old son thinks that Oregon’s unis are the greatest he has ever seen. Says that is were he now wants to go to college.

I reminded him that I am only paying if he goes to my alma mater ( Rutgers ) and he made a dramatic vomiting show!!

• Boomtown | January 11, 2011 at 9:50 am |

On a serious note, don’t pressure your kid into going to your alma mater – trust me, he’ll just end up not wanting to go there.

• Ricardo Leonor | January 11, 2011 at 10:15 am |

I know, but since we have been living in North Carolina for the last few years, I always figured that he would not want to go to Rutgers, but would chose an NC school ( hopefully not Duke $$!). He is only 12 and will change his mind 1,000 more times….but it was just amazing to see what different generations deem to be “cool”….he thinks Oregon must be the “coolest place on earth” based on a uni…..

• LI Phil | January 11, 2011 at 10:20 am |

he thinks Oregon must be the “coolest place on earth” based on a uni

~~~

apparently, he’s not alone

• Jim TN | January 11, 2011 at 4:26 pm |

I also have a 12 year old who also likes Oregon. He has the hat, jersey, etc. I try to remember how my friends and I picked favorite teams at that age. Hometown teams aside, we tended to go with front-runners or teams with cool uniforms. Oregon is both. (Despite what I think, he thinks the carbon and neon yellow and disregard for tradition is cool.)

• DanKing | January 11, 2011 at 9:53 am |

Just tell him that in 6 years Rutgers unis could look like that but you KNOW Oregon’s won’t.

• Broadway Connie | January 11, 2011 at 10:07 am |

Maybe you should just call the ol’ Alma Mater “Jersey Shore State.” Definitely better-skewed youth demographic.

Follow-up question: Is there another example of a state university with a private-sounding name?

• Dootie Bubble | January 11, 2011 at 10:30 am |

Auburn

• Broadway Connie | January 11, 2011 at 10:34 am |

Doh!

• Aaron | January 11, 2011 at 10:38 am |

I guess I’m not sure what qualifies as “private-sounding.” Not named after a state? Then, yeah, I can think of a ton. Seems like there’s more to it than that.

• Rob | January 11, 2011 at 10:38 am |

Clemson

• BoilerWes | January 11, 2011 at 11:04 am |

Purdue

• Aaron | January 11, 2011 at 11:44 am |

Baylor, although Purdue is what popped into my head first.

• Aaron | January 11, 2011 at 11:46 am |

Err, scratch that. They’re considered private, being a Baptist school.

• Broadway Connie | January 11, 2011 at 11:56 am |

Wow. My ignorance is dramatic. Was Purdue (or Clemson or Auburn) always a state school, or was it socialized after years of being a private institution? Were family or place names employed from the beginning of the land-grant-college systems? Somebody educate me, please.

• Aaron | January 11, 2011 at 12:22 pm |

Purdue has always been a state school, named after founder John Purdue.

Clemson I thought was just named after the town, but I could very well be wrong on that.

• Aaron | January 11, 2011 at 12:26 pm |

According to Wikipedia, I have the Clemson situation backwards. It was also named after it’s founder, and Calhoun, SC, renamed itself to Clemson in the 40’s.

• Chris Holder | January 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm |

Auburn has always been public. It is, essentially, Alabama Tech. It was actually officially Alabama Polytechnic Institute well into the 50s, I believe, when the more commonly accepted nickname was made official (Auburn being the town it is in).

• DJ | January 11, 2011 at 1:17 pm |

Purdue was founded as a result of the Morill Land-Grant Colleges Act, which provided federal support for state universities specializing in agriculture, science, technology, and engineering.

• Jeremy | January 11, 2011 at 1:24 pm |

Temple

• Broadway Connie | January 11, 2011 at 2:08 pm |

Wait a minute. Temple is private, started by the Rev Conwell of Worthington, Massachusetts (if I’m not mistaken). And it turns out that Auburn is a re-naming of Alabama Polytechnic. So of the Morrill Act institutions (one of Abraham Lincoln’s finest achievements), we have Purdue and maybe Clemson that have been family or place names form the beginning? Jes’ checking.

• Geeman | January 11, 2011 at 2:38 pm |

William & Mary?

• Aaron | January 11, 2011 at 3:45 pm |

Oh, good one, Gee. I did think W&M was private.

• HomicideMD | January 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm |

Temple was founded as a private instituion but the state took over the school in 1965 (http://www.temple125...). William & Mary has been a public school for over 100 years (http://www.wm.edu/ab...). Baylor is private too (http://www.tshaonlin...). Baylor was founded by the Baptists, Texas Christian by the Disciples of Christ, Trinity by the Presbyterians, and Southern Methodist is kinda obvious who founed that school.

• Mark in Shiga | January 11, 2011 at 10:34 am |

Fellow Rutgers alum here, and I was lucky (from a uniform perspective, not a football fan’s perspective) to go there when they had one of the best looks I’ve ever seen in college football: the red jerseys with white numbers and black drop shadows (NY Rangers style, not Mets-style slide shadows) back in the late 1990s. One year they used really cool curved numbers, then they switched to something that looked almost exactly like the 49ers’ 1994 throwbacks. What a great look — the team played terribly, but they *looked* like winners.

• Ricardo Leonor | January 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm |

I was class of ’94. I was there when we first joined the Big East and Doug Graber was head coach. The team wasn’t horrible and went something like 21-23 or 20-24 during my time there. Luckily this was before the Terry Shea 0-11 and 1-11 debacles.

Uni wise The Scarlet Knights have always taken the conservative approach ( except of course when they go BFBS route ), which is fine by me…..but there is a new “look at me generation” that needs the “flash and bling” that a school like Oregon brings to the table.

We will probably see more Oregons and West Virginias and less Alabama-Penn State approaches to unis in the coming years….

• Coleman | January 11, 2011 at 4:28 pm |

I’m curious why and how you could put WVU into the same sentence as Nikegon. Maybe because of the toy combat uniforms? Otherwise I see nothing wrong with WVU’s uni’s. They’ve modernized them a bit, but they also don’t change it every week. Their helmet hasn’t changed in around 20 years either. Just kinda lost here…

• Ricardo Leonor | January 11, 2011 at 5:17 pm |

I meant to say Virginia Tech, not West Virginia….. VaTech seems to be headed in the Oregon direction…

and even though mentioning the Mountaineers was a mistake…they’ve kind of done some funky things with their unis as well..

• Coleman | January 11, 2011 at 5:27 pm |

They have made a bit of a move toward the flashy I’ll admit (big WVU guy here, born and raised), but I think they stay pretty true to themselves for the most part so far. Not including those stupid toy combat uni’s of course. I liked some aspects of that uni, just nothing better than the traditional Old Gold and Blue!

• tom | January 11, 2011 at 9:51 am |

Brannock Device has been facing cheap knockoffs for years. I myself was late to the party when I wrote an article about it in the mid-1990s for local paper. Tons of coverage in Syracuse area media in that time frame.

• Derek | January 11, 2011 at 10:20 am |

Maybe if Oregon focused more on the gameplan than the fashion show, they could have won close. At least show your school colors (green and yellow) instead of grey and highlighter.

• Geeman | January 11, 2011 at 10:47 am |

Here, here! How many national championships do the fighting highlighters have now? And Auburn has two in the same uniform, fifty years apart.

• Flip | January 11, 2011 at 11:29 am |

That’s a cool sentiment.

• RS Rogers | January 11, 2011 at 10:39 am |

Interesting tidbit in that Dodgers cartoon: The Bums wore tan road unis that year. Nice to know there’s some precedent – heck, with the Dodgers involved, not just precedent but pedigree – for tan road unis in baseball. Green and tan unis probably looked really nice.

• Broadway Connie | January 11, 2011 at 10:59 am |

That’s an instructive cartoon, for sure. To me, the most interesting element was the news that “Jimmy Dykes has banned caps as street wear for his White Sox.” Cartoon of ballplayer wearing “newsboy” cap saying “You ain’t me Maw” to cartoon of Dykes replying “Don’t Ya’ Wanna’ Look Like a Gentleman?”

Your correspondent sports a newsboy cap in vain attempt to look like a street-wise Irish guy from the 1930s. Not much success, really, especially since other newsboy wearers all seem to work in the high-end financial rackets.

• RS Rogers | January 11, 2011 at 11:39 am |

I work with a guy of exceedingly non-Irish ancestry who nonetheless pulls off the streetwise-Irish-guy thing with his newsboy cap better than anyone I’ve ever seen, movies included. Probably helps that he’s a retired infantry colonel. Anyway, the day I saw him at the Pentagon sporting the Irishiest of Irish looks with his newsboy cap despite being very non-Irish was the day I switched to cowboy hats for my non-ballcap haberdashery.

• markw | January 11, 2011 at 4:48 pm |

You need to get yourself a nice fedora.

• pushbutton | January 11, 2011 at 12:02 pm |

NILE GREEN – POOEY!
      I ORDERED A FOREST GREEN BAT!

Does it seem like that cartoon was just waiting 74 years for UniWatch to discover it?

• John in KY | January 11, 2011 at 10:49 am |

I missed the first quarter of the game so I didn’t see it until James had changed helmets. I’ve never seen that one before, but it looks vaguely like the Riddell Revolution Speed helmet that he switched to later in the game. My guess it is that he was wearing a prototype for the next generation Revo Speed helmet.

• Jack | January 11, 2011 at 10:55 am |

I read the same article in the Journal on the Brannock Device. My first memories of shopping for new clothes and shoes included the shoe salesman at Sears measuring my feet on a Brannock. And I remember my father telling me who invented it and when and what the proper name was of the device.

I have noticed the cheap knock-offs at various stores. The knock-offs always seem to be broken.

• War Damn Eagle | January 11, 2011 at 11:01 am |

War Eagle! National Champs! And they looked great, too. Oregon’s carbon fiber helmet paint was really rubbing off on the white Auburn helmets. I can’t remember an Auburn game where so much of the other team’s helmet paint ended up on the Tigers’ lids.

It just seemed odd to me that Oregon’s uniform colors in no way matched the paint scheme for their end zone.

• Geeman | January 11, 2011 at 11:15 am |

Or the scheme of the school colors, either (socks, shoelaces, and doo-rags excepted).

• chimp | January 11, 2011 at 1:41 pm |

congrats WDE, you are a deserving champion.

• LI Phil | January 11, 2011 at 11:14 am |

~~~

QOTD nominee

• The Red Dog | January 11, 2011 at 11:30 am |

Impossible game to watch last night. One team did not wear their school colors, and the other team has a mascot that does not match their nickname. Brutal.

• JTH | January 11, 2011 at 11:36 am |
    • Jim TN | January 11, 2011 at 4:30 pm |

The Auburn Tigers mascot is Aubie, who is a Tiger.

War Eagle is the battle cry.

• Phil in Joplin (new witty name coming soon!) | January 11, 2011 at 11:38 am |

Two things…
    First, Christopher Smith – thanks for finding that Playboy All-American list. I thought I would eventually have to compile that list myself, so that was a huge find.

Second, yesterday had 455 comments. Is that a site record? The highest total I can remember was back on 9/22/2008 (the yankees stadium dustup)with 431 comments. That post also had some controversial content, which set the comments section on fire. Taking that a step further, is their any info about the page hits, etc, from those days? I didn’t comment on either entry, however, I kept checking back in throughout the day to see how things were progressing.

• Paul Lukas | January 11, 2011 at 11:43 am |

Yesterday may have been a site record in terms of comments, although (a) it shouldn’t really count, since a ridiculous number of yesterday’s comments were from me, and (b) I’d prefer that we all be more concerned with comment quality, not quantity.

As for hits, yesterday was a decent traffic day (17,716 visits and 35,226 pageviews, according to Google), but we’ve had quite a few days that were much stronger than that.

• LI Phil | January 11, 2011 at 11:50 am |

also…last night we kind of turned the *comments* into a chat board — something of which i’m rather fond, but i know it’s not paul’s idea of how the comments’ section is supposed to work

i didn’t do any checking via timestamps, but i’d imagine 200 of those comments came after the game started…just one of those things…it was a good day to be sure, but not really something that should be in the UW HOF (imho, anyway)

• The Jeff | January 11, 2011 at 11:55 am |

Why don’t we add a chat board here? It’d be a lot more organized than the current comment format, wouldn’t it?

• Paul Lukas | January 11, 2011 at 12:05 pm |

First of all, I don’t have a problem with the comments functioning as a chat board during a big event. I was participating in that last night as much as anyone.

Secondly, I’ve been thinking that a chat/discussion board would be a good addition to the site and just mentioned it to Ek the other day. He says it’s tricky, because there’s no product that seamlessly integrates a discussion board with WordPress (our blogging software), but he’s looking into it.

If anyone has experience integrating blogging and chatting, please get in touch. Thanks.

• inkracer | January 11, 2011 at 12:49 pm |

Not really sure how the chat thing would work, but the easiest solution may be creating a message board (There are free ones out there, if you having ads on it) and then just having a link to the board on this page..
          From my work with Speed TV, Mindcomet has been decent to work with.

• Phil in Joplin (new witty name coming soon!) | January 11, 2011 at 12:15 pm |

Paul-
        I would agree that quality>quantity, it was more of an odd quirk that I noticed. Has there been a topic in recent history that generated tons of quality comments? The NFL/AFL throwback stuff (especially the Broncos info) comes to mind, but that was more than a year ago.

• Tony Miller | January 11, 2011 at 2:12 pm |

Here’s my spreadsheet for comment-quantity records. Alas, it has no quality-comment-counting mechanism.

• kyle. | January 11, 2011 at 11:48 am |

during last night’s pre-game espn’s stage had the correct oregon helmet lined up with auburn’s. at half-time the helmet was a green one. i wish i’d gotten a screen grab of that one.

• MPowers1634 | January 11, 2011 at 12:15 pm |

Although my ducks failed to show up last night, I am still supporting them today with some highlighter accessories of my own:

• Paul Lukas | January 11, 2011 at 12:24 pm |

Nice. That vise in the background is where you put the heads of students who wear Reebok or Adidas, right?

• JTH | January 11, 2011 at 12:28 pm |

Curse you, Matt. I was going to bust your balls for listening to Yes, but “Starship Trooper” is actually a pretty damn good song.

• LI Phil | January 11, 2011 at 12:31 pm |

powers doesn’t actually listen to his iPod…it’s merely there to show it’s the same neon snot color as his kicks

• RS Rogers | January 11, 2011 at 12:32 pm |

I couldn’t even see the neon in that photo on account of the glaring, distracting granny knots in the shoelaces. Google “reef knot” and learn to tie a proper shoelace! I switched from granny knots to reef knots in early 2010 and it Changed. My. Life. This video explains how to tie a proper reef knot in one easy step.

• JTH | January 11, 2011 at 12:37 pm |

Look near the bottom of the ticker in this post from about a year ago.

• MPowers1634 | January 11, 2011 at 1:52 pm |

RS, You’re right, those knots are looking pretty half-assed.

Paul, I am an equal opportunity shoe admirer, no disdain for the vector or three stripes.

Huening…Trooper is good but, Close to the Edge is one of my all-time faves.

Hecken, Each student is assigned a day when they can bring in pre-approved music of their liking which will serve as the soundtrack for the day. When a student forgets, the default is my ipod. One way for the kids to experience something different.

As for the uniforms from last night, Oregon’s were innovative and interesting but I have to say, Auburn’s were solid and clean. Very nice!

Oh, and Plank would beat Phil’s ass!

• LI Phil | January 11, 2011 at 2:04 pm |

~~~

granted, things are different than when i walked uphill to my one room schoolhouse both ways in the snow…

but “soundtrack for the day”???

aren’t they supposed to be…learning?

• MPowers1634 | January 11, 2011 at 3:37 pm |

In a project-based course, there is both time for instruction and practical application.

While the kids are working on their projects I allow the music to be played through the pc on my desk or the ihome.

• Bernard | January 11, 2011 at 1:36 pm |

powershasprettyfeet

• MPowers1634 | January 11, 2011 at 1:55 pm |

That was a bit too Ryanesque for us, Mountaineer.

• Bernard | January 11, 2011 at 2:02 pm |

Then my work here is done.

• christian | January 11, 2011 at 12:17 pm |

Last night i saw some people on the sideline with black sneakers and neon shoelaces. Anybody got a pic?

• tommyd | January 11, 2011 at 12:43 pm |

quote didn’t show up for some reason

• Jim Vilk | January 11, 2011 at 1:44 pm |

Yes! The U just became a viable 5&1 candidate for next season.

Just hope Temple doesn’t change unis, now.

• Jon | January 11, 2011 at 1:04 pm |

I wasn’t able to get a screenshot of it but I noticed early in the game they showed Newton on the sideline talking to one of the coaches and you could see someone stitching up his pants and/or lower part of the top. Can anybody get a shot of this or notice what happened to his uni?

• Sean | January 11, 2011 at 1:11 pm |

I also saw this. Scam Newton was talking to the Auburn OC Malzahn and another guy with a headset, was stitching something up. I pointed it out to my buddies. I thought it was interesting this guy was wearing a headset, which makes me think he’s some sort of coach and not an equipment manager.

• Geno Jameson | January 11, 2011 at 1:18 pm |

The Beavs wore UNOB in the Toilet Bowl.

Third Picture down.

• War Damn Eagle | January 11, 2011 at 1:20 pm |

I would also like to add that I thought the Pac-10 patch for Oregon looked like an obvious afterthought, as it was nearly in the armpit area of the players. Guess they didn’t want anything distracting from the Nike logo on the other side of the jersey.

I don’t think the Pac-10 patch was even on the jersey during Friday’s media day event.

• 9 | January 11, 2011 at 1:37 pm |

Not surprising about Al Golden and Miami. One of the first things he did at Temple was to go back to the Wayne Hardin unis from the late 70’s, when Temple was at least moderately successful.

Maybe it’s the Penn State in him, but he does respect the past when it comes to uniforms.

• LarryB | January 11, 2011 at 5:07 pm |

Kind of nice to see Golden is going back to the 80’s Canes uniforms.

I like Temples. Penn State’s no way. Way too boring.

Now I have always thought Auburn’s look good. Now that is blue jerseys and white pants and white helmet. But with enough stripes and color added to look good.

• HomicideMD | January 11, 2011 at 1:49 pm |

Until the day that I die, I will never cease to be amused by this. Check out the Playboy All-American team from 1961; Alex Kroll of Rutgers is listed as one of the memembers. Now check out this link: http://books.google....

Just goes to show that someone who couldn’t make the 1st or 2nd Mid Atlantic Conference’s Univeristy Division All-Conference teams (against Bucknell, Lehigh, Delaware, Gettysburg, Temple, Lafayette, & Muhlenburg) can make concensus All-American if he campaigns hard enough.

• Jim Vilk | January 11, 2011 at 1:50 pm |

“Here’s a rarity: a football field with black yard markers.”

Haven’t seen that since the Ice Bowl. No, not the one you’re thinking of…this one:
    You can see the lines, made from coal dust, in this photo:

• LarryB | January 11, 2011 at 7:14 pm |

How come more schools or games did not think of coal dust line markings?

• Jim Vilk | January 11, 2011 at 7:23 pm |

Wonder if WVU will do it…

• steve | January 11, 2011 at 2:40 pm |

Regarding the Dodgers use of green trim in 1937: Back in 1990, when we found the earliest color footage used in When It Was A Game, we had to transfer the film to tape, a process that allowed us to play a bit with the colors. As it happened, the Dodgers were the first team filmed, and as such we set our baseline to reflect Dodger blue. As we progressed, all the colors on the other teams seemed off. We had to re-adjust and continued and it wasn’t until years later that we realized we should have set our baseline to green.

• Michael Koch | January 11, 2011 at 2:44 pm |

NHL unveils All Star uniforms

• Michael Koch | January 11, 2011 at 2:50 pm |

Guess I should read through the comments first…

• Komet17 | January 11, 2011 at 2:44 pm |

Pitchers and catchers report February 14 this year.

• Jeff | January 11, 2011 at 3:22 pm |

Anybody else struck by the ESPN wordmark inside the BCS logos in each endzone? For some reason, I didn’t notice it in any of the other BCS games (and it was there, I just checked) until last night.

I remember being suprised that CBS put its logo on the Sun Bowl field last year, but this is the first year I remember seeing it for a BCS game. Guess FOX didn’t pay enough money to get that kind of exposure the last four years.

• DJ | January 11, 2011 at 3:30 pm |

In the 2006 Rose Bowl game between USC and Texas for the BCS title, ABC had their logo as part of the BCS logo.

I’d be surprised if Fox didn’t have their logo in it during their tenure.

• Jim BC | January 11, 2011 at 3:26 pm |

nhl.com says “Player uniform numbers will appear on the back, sleeve and above the front crest for increased player identification.”

This will not be good….

• LI Phil | January 11, 2011 at 3:28 pm |

and it’s necessary because…???

• Simply Moono | January 11, 2011 at 6:20 pm |

Because They Can… F**k Reebok >=(

• DenverGregg | January 11, 2011 at 3:33 pm |

Did anyone else notice during last night’s game, I think it was second quarter, when there was a shot of Auburn OC Gus Malzahn the screen identified him as Guz Malzahn?

My better half was in the room and she verified that it wasn’t my imagination or intoxication, but that’s really what it said.

• DJ | January 11, 2011 at 3:35 pm |

As the retailers are aware, sales of authentics or player-specific NHL All-Star jerseys will be sloooooooooooow until the Friday before the game, because no one knows whether a specific player will be on the Blue or White team until then.

Unless…you order a player-specific jersey (say, “I want a Sidney Crosby in size 52″) and they wait until his team is determined to place the order.

• Ricko | January 11, 2011 at 3:44 pm |

Marshawn Lynch’s run on Saturday caused a minor “quake”…

click on the link to video.

—Ricko

• Ricko | January 11, 2011 at 3:54 pm |

Of course, during Super Bowl IV so many toilets in Kansas City flushed at the start of halftime that it almost shut down the system.

Pretty sure that would have been worse than a quake measuring “1 or 2″ on the Richter Scale.

—Ricko

• JTH | January 11, 2011 at 4:02 pm |

If it works, here’s the direct link to the video.

• Zack | January 11, 2011 at 4:22 pm |

As much as you hate the Oregon uni’s, it is what they are known for. Numerous people around the interwebs were wondering what Oregon was going to come out in. I think that it was actually alot better in the game than the release and such showed. I know that plenty of kids my age (19) and around my age all thought the uniforms were pretty nice. Although i do have to day the best uniforms in college football are Penn State.

• LI Phil | January 11, 2011 at 4:29 pm |

not everyone gets it™ …

this might be “blocked” because it’s gone to subscriber, but this article from newsday sums up how those new to oregon’s game miss little details that are kind of important…article here

basically it’s about how important the unis are to recruiting, but there’s more

if you can’t read it (im a subscriber, so i don’t know what’s not blocked — it was supposed to be free thru today, however, to everyone)…

if it is blocked, here’s something the author probably should have taken a little care in researching:

” for last night’s BCS title game No. 2 Oregon had yet another twist, this one green pants and white jerseys with numbers that have neon-yellow piping around them, and matching neon-shaded cleats and socks that are designed to make the players’ feet a blur as they dart downfield.”

• Gusto44 | January 11, 2011 at 4:32 pm |

Agreed, and that works great with teenagers, although the best long term answer will be victories in major bowl games, and being a national power for years. The loss Monday night was only the second BCS bowl for that program since 2002.

That said, with the unending flow of Nike money and Chip Kelly as head coach, the Ducks seem ready to take that next step. Perhaps they can nab some of those big defensive lineman from the south to help them in the future.

• Skycat | January 11, 2011 at 4:32 pm |

The Oregon unis were quite pretty, but I’m not sure if I mean that as a compliment. With the day-glo ballet shoes and the feathered jerseys, they were a bit too dainty for my taste. Perhaps they would be more appropriate if there were a male equivalent to the Lingerie Football League.

• Paul Lukas | January 11, 2011 at 6:04 pm |

What exactly was the point of this comment? I’m on record as liking their current set, and today’s post said the switch to dark pants was an upgrade. What exactly is the commenter trying to counter-argue?

• Zack | January 11, 2011 at 10:27 pm |

My point is just trying to show where Nike/Oregon is coming from. Like i said, many kids my age LIKE the uniforms and its part of what Oregon is. You are on record as liking them versus the previous set, but when it comes down too it, i think that you just dont like them because Nike supplied. Im a loyal Oregonian and i for one like the fact that the “Evil Empire”(nike) has put this kind of money into a school. I wish they would do it for every school but then Oregon wouldnt be known for their connection with Nike.

• Simply Moono | January 11, 2011 at 6:33 pm |

“I know that plenty of kids my age (19) and around my age all thought the uniforms were pretty nice.”

And I thought I was the only brat here B)

But the uniforms last night, while not bad, wern’t all that good either. You can have mix-n-match and all that jazz for branding’s sake, but it should still be classy.

The solution is simple: three helmets (green, yellow, and white), three jerseys (green, yellow, and white), three pants (green, yellow, and white), white crew socks ONLY, white cleats and/or all-black cleats with white laces.

Done and done.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      If only it were that simple… -_-

• LarryB | January 11, 2011 at 7:17 pm |

Good point. Oregon could still have a lot of combos but they really should use green and yellow more often.

• LI Phil | January 11, 2011 at 8:05 pm |

~~~

and that, boys and girls, is today’s oxymoron of the day

• Simply Moono | January 12, 2011 at 12:01 am |

If you knew me in real life, you would think that I was a walking oxymoron.

I like classy uniforms and supporting small businesses (which is what Blythe, CA is based on), yet I am a Nike fanboy.

I can list so many other examples, but Tosh.O is about to come on.

• urbanleftbehind | January 11, 2011 at 4:24 pm |

Al Golden should also bring back the short (mid-riff baring) jersey and the hip pads for the full 80s motif.

• Jim Vilk | January 11, 2011 at 10:29 pm |

Only if the jerseys are mesh, of course.

• Ben Fortney | January 11, 2011 at 4:25 pm |

Hey Paul – 35 days ’til pitchers and catchers report to Port Saint Lucie!

Let’s go Mets!

****

On a uni related note, I would’ve loved some green in the Oregon uniform, gray/green would’ve looked a lot better than gray/glo.

• SoCalDrew | January 11, 2011 at 4:38 pm |

Stunning that the national title game was only available on cable TV. Sorry Madison Ave. advertisers, I only get OTA TV these days.

• Brian (but not the above Brian) | January 11, 2011 at 4:45 pm |

According to Darren Rovell, LaMichael James was wearing Riddell’s new concussion reducing helmet last night. It looks to me that this is the one he finished the game with.

• Douglas | January 11, 2011 at 5:48 pm |

There are NOB for the video game because thats how they were sent to EA, their NCAA series doesn’t have the ability to update uniforms post their completion in the design process. What’s worse is the cutoff date is sometime in mid-april so a lot of teams are wearing last year’s designs. The uni-obssessed comunity for the game is hoping they’ll go back to a system that allows them to release the new uniforms post-release.

There’s a roster sharing option that allows for people to share named rosters, there’s also an option to auto-name the rosters, that’s what was done for this video (Carpenter doesn’t play QB for the Ducks and Richardson doesn’t return kicks or wear #24).

• chimp | January 11, 2011 at 6:45 pm |

still nothing in the mailbox mothervilker? did you give me a bad addy? it’s a one of a kind, if you gave me a bad addy, you don’t get another one.

• Jim Vilk | January 11, 2011 at 7:25 pm |

Nothing yet.

• LI Phil | January 11, 2011 at 8:11 pm |

what do you mean it’s not 1060 west addison???

• chimp | January 11, 2011 at 8:24 pm |

ba-dum-bump!
        zing zang zoom.
        can he get a what what.
        boy-yo-yo-ying.
        wah-wah.
        hellooooooooooooo.

• MPowers1634 | January 11, 2011 at 8:42 pm |

1634 Racine. You Know, I Used To Have A Friend Who Lived There

• chimp | January 11, 2011 at 9:00 pm |

no more chicago references please, sniff-sniff. i would get a nike tattoo on my face to be be back in a town like chicago. hell, i would be willing to root the cub and live on the northsiiii….nevermind, that is worse then the nike tattoo thing, i have my limits.

• Cort | January 11, 2011 at 6:47 pm |

I’m late on this — I’ve been down with some wintertime disease — but last night, my 14 year old son and I watched a little of the game. He said, “I’m rooting for Oregon, but I wish they’d go back to plain old green and yellow. They look kind of lame.”

I have never been more proud…

• Austin Pendergist | January 11, 2011 at 7:16 pm |

I find it funny that after all the Nike/Under Armour battles, Auburn got Nike hats as soon as they won last night.

• LarryB | January 11, 2011 at 7:19 pm |

Or how about f Oregon used blue since MPrincip told us the Ducks wore blue before they went to green

• Jim Vilk | January 11, 2011 at 7:43 pm |

Last night, USC and UCLA went color vs. color…and it’s not what you’d expect.

• Jim Vilk | January 11, 2011 at 7:44 pm |

Ooops. That was Sunday night.

• Komet17 | January 11, 2011 at 9:07 pm |

More like color vs. BFBS…

• johnj | January 11, 2011 at 8:24 pm |

Awesome to hear about those possible Jets throwbacks… It was originlly rumored for this year when Madden 11 featured it as a Uni choice. As much as i love our current set, the 80s-90s look has a special place in my heart…

…. And before anyone gets on my case, I understand Klecko joined the Jets in the 70s, but alas, i wasnt alive then

• chimp | January 11, 2011 at 9:05 pm |

those uni’s were awful, best thing they ever did was ditch them. but it will be fun to get all richard todd/lamb jones nostalgic for a game i guess.

• Jim Vilk | January 11, 2011 at 10:11 pm |

I’m glad they went back to the original-ish design, but those 80s unis were awesome.
        Now when they added the BFBS…meh.

• johnj | January 11, 2011 at 10:48 pm |

i just remember being a kid and drawing that jets logo on EVERYTHING i owned… brings me back.

• interlockingtc | January 11, 2011 at 10:58 pm |

You’re absolutely right on both counts, Jim.

• chimp | January 11, 2011 at 11:04 pm |

fair enough, you were a kid, it was your team, etc. but that uni was one of my least favourites at the time. even as a kid i looked at snell era photos and said, “why not that”? but i dig what you are saying, hell i love the browns uni, it is all personal.

• LI Phil | January 11, 2011 at 11:17 pm |

ugh

those unis were horrible

horrible then, horrible now

and it’s johnny lam jones, chimpie, but you knew that

• Jim Vilk | January 11, 2011 at 11:26 pm |

It’s plain, basic, green…pretty much right in your wheelhouse. What’s your beef with them?

• interlockingtc | January 11, 2011 at 11:29 pm |

I hate it when a perfectly decent uniform is abandoned for no good reason (maybe that’s Phil’s gripe??) But this one is just so simple and beautiful that I gave it a pass…

• LI Phil | January 11, 2011 at 11:38 pm |

they were unnecessary…the white helmet was perfect, and that jets logo was awful

i hate white facemasks on anything but white helmets — reminds me of the plastic piece of crap fake helmet my pop bought me when i was kneehigh to a grasshoppa

there was no need to go away from the uni that riggo, namath and maynard wore

plus it was really dark green — i prefer a darker green to the almost-kelly they wore, but that new shade was jarringly dark

• The Jeff | January 12, 2011 at 12:27 am |

That Jets logo was the most jet-like logo they had other than the plane silhouette. It had a speedy look to it – and when you think of a jet, you think fast. Much more appropriate than an oval with letters and a football on it.

• johnj | January 11, 2011 at 8:28 pm |

Oh and hey… new name for Arco Arena…. “PowerBand Pavillion”

Errrmmmm, someone told those guys those things dont work, right?

• Coleman | January 11, 2011 at 8:29 pm |

It looks like Adidas is jumping on the “higlighter” wagon. Their new Predator soccer cleats in a coloar they call “electricicy”, yeah, I’m hoping it’s a typo too…

• LI Phil | January 11, 2011 at 8:34 pm |

i believe nike has already trademarked the color “electrciTy” so this is all adidas has left

i like the write up tho:

Internal powerspine chassis construction for maximum shooting power

good thing they scrapped the original name

• Coleman | January 11, 2011 at 8:45 pm |

what was the original name?

• LI Phil | January 11, 2011 at 8:56 pm |

maize

• chimp | January 11, 2011 at 11:19 pm |

maize has been too bright since before the german blitz, but nice try on blaming that on deutchdidas. michigan should be sky blue and corn gold if you go back to 1342, true. but just as osu has had mismatched stripes for 40 years, my brother scUM have been pretty bright for 40 years. maybe i should take the time to pinpoint the first time they changed from yellow to YELLOW. i am sure it has gone as back and foiurth as buckeye silver and grey over the years, but there has to be an origin point, and it is NOT adidas.

• LI Phil | January 11, 2011 at 11:21 pm |

yeah…i know that chimp

nike patented “maize”

that was my point ;)

• chimp | January 11, 2011 at 11:27 pm |

no no, you just always say deutchdidas made scUM too bright, i thought you were drawing a parallel. but even when scUM was nike and osu was champion scum was too bright, and before that by 20 years. i’ll find you pixtures some day. it is too bad, a more muted yeller would be fab for michigan.

• Corey | January 11, 2011 at 8:35 pm |

Adidas made a Chelsea jersey in that same color for the 07-08 season.

• navyam | January 11, 2011 at 8:42 pm |

there is a picture on msn sports of lebron james, its a headshot with him smiling with his mouthguard in. the mouth gaurd is clear but has him number 6 on it.. how long has he been wearing that because i have never noticed it with a number.

• Hunt | January 12, 2011 at 3:34 am |

Just thought I’d correct the Bert Jones comment- on LSU’s team were Bert and Ben (brothers). Their father Dub played at Tulane 20 odd years prior.

• Lloyd Davis | January 12, 2011 at 8:36 am |

The Stets — as a copyeditor, I gotta say I love it! I think I’ve found a new name for next year’s fantasy football team.

• Kris McInnis | January 12, 2011 at 2:49 pm |

One thing I’ve noticed during the BCS replay, one of the white sleeve stripes (bottom one in the pattern) on Nick Fairley’s jersey slowly peeled off as the game wore on until on a little chunk of it was left. No photos, but very visible throughout the game.

• Steve | January 12, 2011 at 11:37 pm |

Pitts has new nike jerseys with the sublimated designs..theirs is a shoutout to their student section the Oakland ZOO

• Steve | January 12, 2011 at 11:37 pm |

pitt*

• Beau | January 13, 2011 at 4:01 pm |

I didn’t think I would, but I ended up liking Oregon’s uniforms. I appreciate them for trying something different, and it was a nice contrast to Auburn’s look. I hate when opposing teams have similar uniforms (like Stanford/Wisconsin/Nebraska/etc). If their players liked the dayglo – then who am I to say boo? What I liked most about the uniform is that it made the players look like actual DUCKS. Yellow feet, white body, grey wings… it was kind to see this resemblance.