Notre Dame QB Dayne Crist had some seriously short sleeves yesterday. His shoulder pads were poking out on both sides for the entire game, and his “ND” sleeve logo was more like a shoulder logo. My thanks to reader Eric Geyer for pointing this out.
Other college football notes from yesterday:
• My college football column on ESPN mentioned that Louisville had a new helmet stripe and new facemask color, but I didn’t know they also had new pants striping (not until Brian Davis told me, that is).
• Missouri is wearing a memorial decal for former QB Daniel Schatz.
• FBS uni change we all missed: Last year Vanderbilt went NNOB with a star logo above the uni numbers, but this year they’ve scrapped the logo and restored the NOBs.
• Another one we missed: New uniforms for Bowling Green. Sorry, that’s the best photo I could find of the new design, at least for now.
• UNLV defensive player Troy Aoki was wearing a Nevada flag patch instead of an NOB. Anyone know what that’s about? Like, does one player get to wear that each game or something like that?
• Louisiana Tech wore their new blue road pants for the first time. Pretty sharp look, methinks.
• Hmmm, I don’t recall having seen Adidas visors before. Is that a new thing?
Uni Watch News Ticker: British Foreign Secretary William Hague caused a bit of a stir by wearing a baseball cap (thanks, Giancarlo). … Some goalie in Russia likes to put kittens on his mask designs (with thanks to Todd Davis). … The Pirates have added a “JLB” memorial patch for former GM Joe Brown. … Yesterday’s Ticker mentioned that the Chargers would wear memorial decals for Don Coryell and Big Hands Johnson for their season opener. Correction: It will be for their home opener, which is Week 2. … I’ve loved just about every uni- and logo-related move the Minnesota Wild have made since their inception, except for this wordmark. The good news is that they’ve scrapped it; the bad news is that the new wordmark is only marginally better. … A semi-pro football player has landed in the clink for attacking a ref with his helmet. … Really interesting piece about the old “Rumble in the Jungle” stadium in Kinshasa (nice find by Don Gale). … Holy Cross soccer goalie Evan Polanik wore some sort of rugby-ish headwear last night (with thanks to Tris Wykes). … Tyler Kepner wrote in last night with a great observation: “So I’m watching this UNC/LSU game, which is being played in the Georgia Dome, site of the Rams/Titans Super Bowl in 2000. How weird is it that, just like in that game, there’s a team in white jersey/yellow pants against a team wearing light blue? Of course some things are a little different, but all in all it’s a pretty close match. I expect to see Kevin Dyson dangling the ball at the 1-yard line as time expires.” … Really interesting article about Nebraska mascot Herbie Husker. To get to the best bits, search on the word “Adidas” (big thanks to Brian Hansen).