The Plan for This Week: Detox

IMG_5231.JPG

The last week or so was one of the craziest roller coaster rides of my life. My five days at the House of Hearts bonspiel in Duluth were a total blast, and I think it would be fair to say that I’m now a confirmed curling geek. Definitely plan to keep playing this excellent sport, although I don’t think I can keep up with most curlers when it comes to the drinking.

The HoH raised over $32,000 for the St. Luke’s Medical Foundation in Duluth, and I’m proud to say that $200 of that amount came from Uni Watch reader contributions. Big thanks to all who kicked in.

My story about the HoH will run on ESPN soon — probably later this week. For now, though, you can see some photos here and here.

I got only a few hours of sleep on Saturday night and then had to catch a 7am flight back home. While changing plans in Minneapolis, I spotted a guy wearing this shirt. I really liked the rough-hewn logo. Have we discussed this product style before? Is it part of a series that also features other teams’ logos?

I got home around 2:30pm, unpacked, went for a quick bike ride, and then went to my birthday party at the Bell House’s Brooklyn Beefsteak event. By this time, I was pretty punchy, so a lot of the evening is sort of a blur, but here are a few highlights:

• I had a brief onstage moment handling the beefsteak megaphone.

• It was also my friend Matt’s birthday, so we had a dual party. We’re both music/record fiends (Matt’s actually a DJ), so our friend Karen McBurnie made us this completely awesome 45-rpm cake, complete with a real spindle. Best birthday cake ever!

• I got several really nice sports-themed cards. My pal Victoria Rich made this one, featuring a vintage bowling photo. And longtime Uni Watch reader Terence Kearns gave me this (with a nicely doctored interior message). Terence and I also engaged in an impromptu hosiery face-off. At first I thought my Colt .45s stirrups had beaten his Tottenham Hotspur alternate sock, but then he hiked up his other pant leg and revealed the team’s road sock. That’s a tough one-two punch, Terence! (Terence also took a bunch of photos during the event.)

• Everything’s better when it’s green and striped. Thanks, Kirsten!

• My friend Amy made me a batch of her incredibly delicious shortbread, which is basically a butter-delivery device (and which, despite some odd looks I got, was great when dunked in beer). But the real prize was the tray that the shortbread was sitting on — check it out. Is that awesome or what? Here’s a larger version, and a close-up of the inscription. “T.D.C.C” stands for Something-Something Curling Club — haven’t figured out where T.D. is yet. Anyway, this tray was the perfect capper to my curling week that culminated in my birthday. Thanks, Amy!

And thanks to everyone else who made this a birthday to remember (even if I can’t actually, y’know, remember all of it).

Teeny Tiny Ticker: I’m not the only one who’s been combing through all wire service photo archives. Helmet Hut honcho Curtis Worrell recently discovered a 1940 photo that appears to show the first Tenite plastic football helmet. … Here are the uniforms from the Chinese Basketball Assocation All-Star Game. And look who was named the game’s MVP: Stephon Marbury! (With thanks to Jeremy Brahm.) … Is this the Blue Man Group? Nope — it’s a group of Halifax Rainmen fans. “They’re known as the toughest hecklers in the entire Premier Basketball League,” says Chuck Miller. … Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: Squiddie came up with a bunch of old photos of 1939 World’s Fair uniforms. … Also from yesterday: Chance Michaels recently scored an amazing 1940 color newspaper supplement with some priceless NFL photos. … Still more from yesterday: Cubs reliever Jeff Muyco got stuck wearing an adjusta-strap cap with the New Era logo on the side in yesterday’s spring training game. … New cleats for Ichiro — home on top, road on bottom (with thanks to Jeremy Brahm).

103 comments to The Plan for This Week: Detox

• Chris from Carver | March 23, 2010 at 8:01 am |

The blue suits most likely came from this website: http://begreenman.co...
    The origins of Greenman can be seen here: http://www.youtube.c...

• Johnny | March 23, 2010 at 8:44 am |

• Seth H | March 23, 2010 at 8:46 am |

• LI Phil | March 23, 2010 at 8:49 am |

[quote comment=”382607″]Honest question: Do people here really wear stirrups under your jeans/work pants on a daily basis?[/quote]

friday…not daily

• Mad Adam | March 23, 2010 at 8:49 am |

• DenverGregg | March 23, 2010 at 8:51 am |

That rotogravure page is phenomenal! Great find, Chance.

• Jet | March 23, 2010 at 8:54 am |

In this pic from Squiddie’s Worlds Fair photos:

it appears they’re about to have a hosiery face-off!! The guy on the pedi-cab is about to reveal what he’s packin’ under those trousers!

-Jet

• Jeremy Brahm | March 23, 2010 at 9:08 am |

Here is the curling tray

• Andrew | March 23, 2010 at 9:16 am |

A google search for td curling club and livingston leads one to tray image
    which leads you to
    TDCC
    which is the same as
    RCCC

Located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

• Dan | March 23, 2010 at 9:26 am |

• chance michaels | March 23, 2010 at 9:50 am |

[quote comment=”382611″]That rotogravure page is phenomenal! Great find, Chance.[/quote]
    Damn you for making me go to Wikipedia! ;)

I have another one from the same source to scan in the next couple days. It’s somewhat more limited – 2 Packers (the same shot of Isbell and a new one of Hutson) and 2 Redskins (Frank Filchock and Slinging Sammy hisself) – but still very, very cool.

• JimWa | March 23, 2010 at 9:52 am |

[quote comment=”382610″]A game at the Cubs’ spring training home and they don’t have a real hat for Jeff Muyco? How can they let that happen? How in the world does Muyco not try to take care of himself and find one? Ugh![/quote]

I’d like to think that as part of a rookie prank, his hat mysteriously disappeared just as he was being called upon to warm up, and he grabbed the closest cap he could find. If you look at the picture, it even looks a tad small for him.

Much easier to accept that (especially in spring training) than to think someone (equipment manager?) came to the game completely unprepared.

• JTH | March 23, 2010 at 9:54 am |

which leads you to
    TDCC
    which is the same as
    RCCC

Located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.[/quote]
    TD = Toronto Dominion?

• concealed78 | March 23, 2010 at 9:56 am |

It’s just spring training. While on the subject, I think it’s kind of ridiculous that teams wear home or road jerseys; especially with NOB for ST. Some teams used to wear mesh caps & batting practice jerseys for ST, and some would wait until Opening Day to break out the new logo gear. I think the 1992 Phillies were the last team to do this.

• timmy b | March 23, 2010 at 10:02 am |

Very much doubt that could happen today.

• timmy b | March 23, 2010 at 10:04 am |

• interlockingtc | March 23, 2010 at 10:04 am |

Love the TC treatment on the guy’s shirt.

And the curling tray…..wow.

• concealed78 | March 23, 2010 at 10:09 am |

• Flip | March 23, 2010 at 10:12 am |

Yesterday’s entry about J.R. Richard got me all nostalgic for the Houston Astros’ uniforms, specifically the cap. http://bit.ly/9y4DhU The “H” on the star was just a good looking logo that worked on navy and, yes, on orange to a lesser degree.

I’m no Astro fan, but I really miss the shooting star uniform. Richard only wore the old flannel shooting star one year, http://bit.ly/aSfYkB , and then it was in orange. Not bad, yet not as good as the navy. That would be a good look to update.

• Jeremy | March 23, 2010 at 10:30 am |

“The greatest misuse of an Earl Campbell jersey—ever”

• chance michaels | March 23, 2010 at 10:35 am |

Yikes – I better come up with a higher-quality scan.

• Paul Lukas | March 23, 2010 at 10:37 am |

[quote comment=”382626″][quote comment=”382621″]I dare say Chance’s revelation yesterday of the 1940 pro football newspaper insert was the most important find in football uni research so far this year.[/quote]
    Yikes – I better come up with a higher-quality scan.

Have we talked about Grey Flannel’s new auction? There are some great items – too bad your birthday’s passed, Paul.[/quote]

Actually, just five minutes ago I put the finishing touches on a Grey Flannel “Auction Action” post, which will run later this week. And, yeah, that sweater is definitely one of the highlights.

• korryn | March 23, 2010 at 10:41 am |

• scott | March 23, 2010 at 10:47 am |

[quote comment=”382623″][quote comment=”382620″]The 1992 Phillies were super secretive about the new unis. The mock up and descriptions were even absent in the NL Green Book that year. The unis were blank and I think the tag even said “Not to be revealed until Opening Day” or something like that. [/quote]

Nice. I remember that game was on WGN, and being blown away by the bright new uni’s the Phillies were wearing & a new logo replacing the extremely old & dated look. It just made Opening Day that much more great. Another thing I miss is when the Reds would always play the first game of the season.[/quote]

The Reds still do play the first game of the season. You don’t really count that Sunday night game, do you? :)

• Giancarlo | March 23, 2010 at 10:51 am |

• Ricko | March 23, 2010 at 10:52 am |

Posted this last week….
    …without ever identifying the players, other than saying was ’52 Giants (the team that played in the Polo Grounds before the Mets).
    Sorry about that…(l to r)
    Whitey Lockman, 1b
    Davey Williams, 2b
    Hank Thompson, 3b
    Alvin Dark, ss
    Don Mueller, lf
    Willie Mays, cf
    Monte Irvin, rf
    Wes Westrum, c

(Great time for stirrups and blousing, wasn’t it)
    —Ricko

• JTH | March 23, 2010 at 10:53 am |

If I’m not mistaken, Dayton’s colors are blue and red. Cincinnati’s are red and black and they usually wear black unis on the road.

• Ricko | March 23, 2010 at 11:05 am |

[quote comment=”382632″][quote comment=”382615″]University of Dayton pulled out their seldom worn black alts for their NIT game @ Cincy last night.

So Dayton pulled out the black unis to, what, confuse the Bearcats? Looks like it was a strategy that paid off.[/quote]

Die, BFBS, Die!
    Unfortunately, the Flyers won, which means those unis’ll probably stick around.

I mean, I REALLY don’t like any of the “new look” Celtics duds. Seriously, there just are some things with which people should not mess.

—Ricko

• Michael | March 23, 2010 at 11:07 am |

Ron Sirak from Golf Digest apparently “Gets It”. He refused to wear “Team” colors when covering the Tavistock Cup:

• Bernard | March 23, 2010 at 11:07 am |

[quote comment=”382618″][quote comment=”382614″]A google search for td curling club and livingston leads one to tray image
    which leads you to
    TDCC
    which is the same as
    RCCC

Located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.[/quote]
    TD = Toronto Dominion?[/quote]

T-Dot

• Tom Farley | March 23, 2010 at 11:09 am |

And we all know how much major-media coverage there’s been of this topic. ;-)

Just teasing, Timmy B. I could not possibly agree more. What an unbelievable find on Chance’s part.

No need for color assessment here. Now we know that, while the Rams and Packers were strikingly similar at this point, the Rams had a metallic gold helmet, as opposed to the Packers’ athletic gold. (That’s the name we’ve settled on for that color, right?)

There’s a Packers-Eagles color photo from 1940 in the new book “Titletown’s Team” that shows the Eagles in blue jerseys. It would appear from the Davey O’Brien photo here that the Eagles were using blue jerseys and green jerseys in ’40.

• Tom Farley | March 23, 2010 at 11:10 am |

Yikes – I better come up with a higher-quality scan.

Hearing no objections … :-)

• Ricko | March 23, 2010 at 11:11 am |

Okay, some baseball trivia.
    Who was…

…the last batter in Don Larsen’s perfect game?
    …on deck when Bobby Thomson hit the “Shot Heard ‘Round the World”?
    …in the park, as a player, for both Maris’ 61st and Aaron’s 715th?
    …the only player ever traded for himself?

—Ricko

• mike 2 | March 23, 2010 at 11:16 am |

[quote comment=”382608″]Isn’t the spindle the metal (or plastic) piece that sticks up in the center of the turntable? What your cake had was a 45 spindle adapter.[/quote]

Correct – the spindle is the narrow metal piece that fits both LPs and 45s, that’s a spindle adapter.

(I have a bunch in the basement, together with a collection of other things that my kids won’t recognize, like dial telephones and floppy disks)

• chance michaels | March 23, 2010 at 11:16 am |

[quote comment=”382630″][quote comment=”382621″]I dare say Chance’s revelation yesterday of the 1940 pro football newspaper insert was the most important find in football uni research so far this year.[/quote]
    For real. Can you imagine the ’40 Packers (navy over yellow) playing the ’40 Rams (royal over yellow)? According to your research neither team had an alternate uni that season.[/quote]
    Crazy, isn’t it? I thought two teams in navy jerseys was confusing enough.

The Packers might still have been using the white alternate jersey introduced in 1938 or 1939. I don’t know when they dropped it, but I know they introduced a different white jersey (with gold shoulder yoke) in 1946. The NFL didn’t actually mandate change jerseys until 1957, so the Packers sometimes wore white against blue teams and sometimes wore navy against blue teams.

The Rams and Packers had a gold jersey v. gold jersey color clash in 1952. And speaking of which, I know somebody here sent me those Rams/Packers photos but can’t remember who. Please remind me so I can give you credit.

• LI Phil | March 23, 2010 at 11:17 am |

[quote comment=”382638″]Okay, some baseball trivia.
    Who was…

…the last batter in Don Larsen’s perfect game?
    …on deck when Bobby Thomson hit the “Shot Heard ‘Round the World”?
    …in the park, as a player, for both Maris’ 61st and Aaron’s 715th?
    …the only player ever traded for himself?

—Ricko[/quote]

busy as hell, but just checking in…

i know the second one for sure…some “kid”

• chance michaels | March 23, 2010 at 11:19 am |

[quote comment=”382637″]Yikes – I better come up with a higher-quality scan.

Hearing no objections … :-)[/quote]
    Well, I guess I know what I’m doing on my lunch hour….

• Tom Farley | March 23, 2010 at 11:21 am |

The Rams and Packers had a gold jersey v. gold jersey color clash in 1952.
    That was a great find, Chance, turning up those newspaper photos of the gold-vs.-gold game.

• chance michaels | March 23, 2010 at 11:23 am |

[quote comment=”382643″]The Rams and Packers had a gold jersey v. gold jersey color clash in 1952.

The Packers and Bears went navy blue vs. midnight blue in the game at Green Bay in 1956. I can’t find a photo just now. That’s the game where Al Carmichael took a kickoff return 106 yards.[/quote]
    Ooo, I’d love to see a picture of that. I don’t have many good pictures from the late 1950s.

And as I said, I can’t take credit for digging up those great Packers/Rams photos. Hoping the real sleuth checks in.

• Kaptain K | March 23, 2010 at 11:24 am |

• Tom Farley | March 23, 2010 at 11:29 am |

Well, I guess I know what I’m doing on my lunch hour….
    Hey, it’s easy for me to sit here and prod you guys. I work nights. :-)

• Dan | March 23, 2010 at 11:32 am |

[quote comment=\”382633\”][quote comment=\”382632\”][quote comment=\”382615\”]University of Dayton pulled out their seldom worn black alts for their NIT game @ Cincy last night.

If I\’m not mistaken, Dayton\’s colors are blue and red. Cincinnati\’s are red and black and they usually wear black unis on the road.

Die, BFBS, Die!
    Unfortunately, the Flyers won, which means those unis\’ll probably stick around.

I mean, I REALLY don\’t like any of the \”new look\” Celtics duds. Seriously, there just are some things with which people should not mess.

—Ricko[/quote]

they wore similar black alts last year at Xavier (and lost miserably) so i don\’ think they\’ll be making a huge habit out of it. however, while UD\’s normal aways are red, they debuted an alt blue uni earlier this year. makes you wonder why they didn\’t just wear that.

• John | March 23, 2010 at 11:33 am |

According to my season ticket rep, the Giants’ team store will soon be carrying the black/orange striped sox! Price unknown.

• UmpLou | March 23, 2010 at 11:43 am |

[quote comment=”382638″]Okay, some baseball trivia.
    Who was…

…the last batter in Don Larsen’s perfect game?
    …on deck when Bobby Thomson hit the “Shot Heard ‘Round the World”?
    …in the park, as a player, for both Maris’ 61st and Aaron’s 715th?
    …the only player ever traded for himself?

—Ricko[/quote]

1 Dale Mitchell

2 Willie Mays

3 Al Downing – who gave up # 715 for the Dodgers & and was a late season call up for the 61 Yankees

4 Harry Chiti NY Mets 1962

• Kurt Allen | March 23, 2010 at 11:44 am |

[quote comment=”382625″]”The greatest misuse of an Earl Campbell jersey—ever”

Actually this was the greatest misuse of a columbia blue #34 jersey ever, former Wisconsin RB Booker Stanley after giving someone the business at a Madison event a few years back.

• Kurt Allen | March 23, 2010 at 11:52 am |

[quote comment=”382625″]”The greatest misuse of an Earl Campbell jersey—ever”

• Mad Adam | March 23, 2010 at 11:55 am |

[quote comment=”382649″][quote comment=”382638″]Okay, some baseball trivia.
    Who was…

…the last batter in Don Larsen’s perfect game?
    …on deck when Bobby Thomson hit the “Shot Heard ‘Round the World”?
    …in the park, as a player, for both Maris’ 61st and Aaron’s 715th?
    …the only player ever traded for himself?

—Ricko[/quote]

1 Dale Mitchell

2 Willie Mays

4 Harry Chiti NY Mets 1962[/quote]

Dickie Noles Cubs to Tigers to Cubs in 1987.

• UmpLou | March 23, 2010 at 12:06 pm |

[quote comment=”382649″][quote comment=”382638″]Okay, some baseball trivia.
    Who was…

…the last batter in Don Larsen’s perfect game?
    …on deck when Bobby Thomson hit the “Shot Heard ‘Round the World”?
    …in the park, as a player, for both Maris’ 61st and Aaron’s 715th?
    …the only player ever traded for himself?

—Ricko[/quote]

1 Dale Mitchell

2 Willie Mays

4 Harry Chiti NY Mets 1962[/quote]

It should noted that Chiti was traded by the Indians to the Mets ‘for a player to be named later’ – who turned out to be…Harry Chiti

Those 62 Mets earned every bit of their odd reputation – the two Bob Millers….Don Zimmer going 0-15 or something, then getting traded AFTER getting his first hit…Marvelous Marv…all sorts of odd stuff happening. My favorite 62 Met story is this: The Polo Grounds apparently had an Abe Stark-type billboard where the Met player who hit it the most during the season would receive a nice power boat, Lo and behold, that Met happens to be, guess who, Throneberry. So at the end of the year, Marv, who lives hundreds of miles from a decent sized lake, gets that boat – and at the same time Richie Ashburn (who lived in Nebraska, ALSO hundreds of miles from deep water)gets an identical boat, for being the MVP – of a team that lost 140 games! So, at the little end of the season ceremony, there happens to be a guy there from…the IRS. It turns out that Throneberry has to pay taxes on the boat – as he had ‘earned’ it. Ashburn, as it goes, does NOT – as his was an honorary ‘gift’…not taxable income. NOTHING says more on how weird that team was than this.

• Geenf | March 23, 2010 at 12:45 pm |

The Brooklyn Dodgers pulling their San Francisco 49ers imitation? That’s pretty cool.

So is the winged helmet on the New York Football Giants.

Get to it, Jints — need a throwback for this one!

• Dane | March 23, 2010 at 12:46 pm |

Since ticket stubs have become a topic of interest lately, the Penguins are going to give out commemorative aluminum tickets during the final regular season game at Mellon Arena.

• korryn | March 23, 2010 at 12:50 pm |

[quote comment=”382645″][quote comment=”382628″]I am trying to create a cover for a Pittsburgh Pirates scorebook I am making for the season. Can anyone point to the font name or font type so I can use it on the cover image?[/quote]

I believe the Pirates’ font is ‘fancy block’; Red Sox (and Mets road jersey) font is ‘fancy’.[/quote]
    Thanks Kaptain K!

• Jeremy | March 23, 2010 at 1:09 pm |

[quote comment=”382651″][quote comment=”382625″]”The greatest misuse of an Earl Campbell jersey—ever”

No, actually former Wisconsin RB Booker Stanley really misused an Oilers #34 a few years back…[/quote]

His matching sneakers looked good though….

• Tom Farley | March 23, 2010 at 1:12 pm |

That’s a great ’62 Mets story, UmpLou! I also enjoy this one about them.

… center fielder Richie Ashburn and Venezuelan shortstop Elio Chacón found themselves colliding in the outfield. When Ashburn went for a catch, he would scream, “I got it! I got it!” only to run into Chacón, who spoke only Spanish. Ashburn learned to yell, “¡Yo la tengo! ¡Yo la tengo!” instead. In a later game, Ashburn happily saw Chacón backing off. He relaxed, positioned himself to catch the ball, and was instead run over by left fielder Frank Thomas, who understood no Spanish and had missed a team meeting that proposed using the words “¡Yo la tengo!” as a way to avoid outfield collisions. After getting up, Thomas asked Ashburn, “What the heck is a Yellow Tango?”.

• chance michaels | March 23, 2010 at 1:19 pm |

[quote comment=”382658″]That’s a great ’62 Mets story, UmpLou! I also enjoy this one about them.

Reportedly, this story is where the underappreciated band Yo La Tengo came up with its name.[/quote]

Which is itself an opportunity to post this classic:

37 Record-Store Clerks Feared Dead In Yo La Tengo Concert Disaster

• Ricko | March 23, 2010 at 1:21 pm |

Baseball fans (especially Mets fans) who have not read this one, simply must.
    Funny, funny book…

—Ricko

• Jet | March 23, 2010 at 1:51 pm |

monumental!!

• Sam | March 23, 2010 at 2:21 pm |

• BurghFan | March 23, 2010 at 2:34 pm |

• Ricko | March 23, 2010 at 2:43 pm |

[quote comment=”382662″]The Mets story is outstanding, but it does overstate their awful-ness just a bit.

Getting to 120 losses must have been hard enough, but getting to 140 would have been damn near impossible …[/quote]

Old attitude in baseball says everyone’s gonna win 50-some games and lose 50-some games…so it’s what they do with the other 50-some that matters.

1962 Mets finished 40-120, right?

That meant they lost every game they should have lost, went 0-50 in games theoretically up for grabs, plus lost at least another 10 that a normal team could have expected to win.

Saying they lost 140 may be numerically wrong, but I’m not sure you CAN overstate their awfulness. It wasn’t just THAT they lost, it was the WAY they lost. There was a kind of stumblebum-ness to that team that MLB hadn’t seen before and hasn’t seen since (despite what we might think of the Natinals).

Oh, don’t get me wrong, the ’62 Mets were SO easy to love. It was like “The Bowery Boys Go to the Majors”.

But the WERE awful. That’s part of what made 1969 so much fun for pretty much all of baseball.

—Ricko

• JTH | March 23, 2010 at 3:00 pm |

[/quote]
    You have an interesting definition of “pretty much all.”

• Sam | March 23, 2010 at 3:04 pm |

[quote comment=\”382664\”][quote comment=\”382662\”]The Mets story is outstanding, but it does overstate their awful-ness just a bit.

1962 Mets finished 40-120, right?

—Ricko[/quote]

Never saw them, but I’ve read a ton about them, including Breslin’s book oh-so-long ago. I think it’s also been said that never have so many written words been dedicated to a team so poor. They surely had that “it” quality, despite (or, maybe, because of) their awful play.

I was lucky enough to be born in New York in the early ’60s, which means I was coming into my baseball-card-loving, ballplayer-as-my-hero youth in the late ’60s. As a result, my baseball life began with the Mets making their Miracle run, and the Yankees being nothing more than alsorans who were soiling their glorious tradition. It’s hard to describe to people now the condition of the Yanks when I grew up in New York. Yankee Stadium was where the football Giants played. To me as a 7-year-old, Ruth, Gehrig and DiMaggio might as well have been ancient history. And Mantle had just retired, as a shell of his former greatness.

Meanwhile,the sun rose and set on Seaver and Koosman at Shea … I sure miss that.

• M.Princip | March 23, 2010 at 3:28 pm |

Sweet Mary!!! I love you Eastman Kodak, and your Tenite cellulosic plastics.

• chance michaels | March 23, 2010 at 3:30 pm |

My question is: am I a real jerk for wanting to watermark this? I don’t own the rights, but I did scan the thing, and I see a lot of scans from my site out there on the web without any context at all. Don’t blame people for wanting to share, these are cool, but I’d like my blog to get a little of the traffic.

What do you all think?

• LI Phil | March 23, 2010 at 3:33 pm |

apologies to all…been busy today, so there were seven comments in the spam/pending queue…so y’all may want to refresh and see ifn ya missed something

/carry on

• mmwatkin | March 23, 2010 at 3:37 pm |

I don’t know if any team was worse than the 2003 Tigers.

yeesh.

• M.Princip | March 23, 2010 at 3:39 pm |

I agree, however, on some levels this could be deemed a great misuse.

• Andy | March 23, 2010 at 3:45 pm |

No, you’re not. Not only are the Celtics going away from their iconic look, but I found the black numbers unreadable when I saw them in person.[/quote]

• JTH | March 23, 2010 at 4:40 pm |

What do you all think?[/quote]

• UmpLou | March 23, 2010 at 4:45 pm |

Did I REALLY say 140 losses? Although it must have SEEMED like 140 to Casey….

• Paul Lukas | March 23, 2010 at 4:53 pm |

[quote comment=”382673″][quote comment=”382668″]Okay, I’ve got a bigger version of that 1940 clipping – 2000 x 3000 pixels. Big enough to see where I layered four scans together, if you look closely enough. ;)

What do you all think?[/quote]
    Maybe you can watermark it but also credit the original source. “Image courtesy of …”[/quote]

Shouldn’t you really watermark it with the name of the newspaper in which it originally ran? Or the photographers who took the original photos?

I’m not serious about that, natch. But I’m trying to suggest that ownership is a fluid concept in the internet age. For historical stuff like this, I prefer to think that it belongs to all of us, and we’re all better off just sharing it. If you want to put a little credit line at the bottom of the frame, below the scan, that’s fine. But watermarking something devalues it for everyone else, because it ruins (or at least clashes with) with the image. That’s fine if you’re a commercial operation protecting your copyright, but I think we amateur and semi-pro historians should just put it out there and be happy to add to the historical record. Credit is nice, but the the data is ultimately more important than any of us.

Just my two cents, natch.

• chance michaels | March 23, 2010 at 5:06 pm |

Fair enough.

Wasn’t looking for credit (because, as I said, I don’t own the thing), just a little traffic. But I appreciate what you’re saying.

Here’ tis. I’d like to clear the original out of my Flickr account, so if somebody could update the ticker at some point….

And no prizes for finding the seams. :D

• rpm | March 23, 2010 at 5:13 pm |

• Hibbsy | March 23, 2010 at 5:16 pm |

Hair of the dog, Paul. Hair of the dog.
    Happy b-lated b-day.

• LarryB | March 23, 2010 at 5:48 pm |

wow wow wow to the 1940 color NFL page. Kepp up the good work Chance.

• LI Phil | March 23, 2010 at 6:30 pm |

incredible chance

gracias…that’s a helluva find

• Geenf | March 23, 2010 at 6:43 pm |

Some of these numerals are interesting — No. 56 for a quarterback, No. 7 for a center.

• Skycat | March 23, 2010 at 6:49 pm |

I would agree. The black needs to be thrown away, but there’s something I love about those gold-trimmed St. Patrick’s Day uniforms. I think the road uniform should always feature the city name as well.[/quote]

• LI Phil | March 23, 2010 at 6:55 pm |

robert preston marshall

congratulations

ya picked a perfect pineapple

• Paul Lukas | March 23, 2010 at 7:02 pm |

[quote comment=”382683″]robert preston marshall

congratulations

ya picked a perfect pineapple[/quote]

Seconded.

• Hibbsy | March 23, 2010 at 7:11 pm |

[quote comment=”382677″]i have not read the comments, so i don’t know what i am interrupting, sorry if it is important, but this is loosely in the uniform/would motherviler wear it category.

so as y’all know, or not, doesn’t matter, the pineapple is finish up a 3 year mfa in st louis this year, and if we don’t kill each other living together in the months after, it would stand to reason, and be right proper that nuptials would follow at some point. none of that is important, but i am cutting off the did you pop questions off at the pass. still, there are important things to hash out, as i am sure i don’t have to tell anyone here. anyway, on that note, i just got off the phone with the pineapple, and apparently, if i want, i can get hitched in lederhosen, or, and i am a biiiiiiig fan of this idear, in a nudie cohn style western suit. do i have a great pineapple or what?![/quote]
    Congrats! Big time!
    P.S. When is her show down thisaway?

• Squiddie | March 23, 2010 at 7:16 pm |

[quote comment=”382677″] anyway, on that note, i just got off the phone with the pineapple, and apparently, if i want, i can get hitched in lederhosen, or, and i am a biiiiiiig fan of this idear, in a nudie cohn style western suit. do i have a great pineapple or what?![/quote]

This is one wedding party I want to see.

Put it on YouTube and even odds it goes viral.

• rpm | March 23, 2010 at 7:18 pm |

[quote comment=”382684″][quote comment=”382683″]robert preston marshall

congratulations

ya picked a perfect pineapple[/quote]

Seconded.[/quote]

• rpm | March 23, 2010 at 7:32 pm |

squidman:
    thanks for all the awesome photos you have been digging up lately, i love that stuff.

there is going to be a polka band cause pineapple is polish(and i am german). everyone gets special wedding stirrups. an olde friend of mine is a reverend(as i am), and she will marry us. the maid of honour is a dude, and it is going to take place outside behind the facade of a collapsed church, and the reception will be where we play bags by the stage, and yes there will be bags. hm, what else can i think of that has been discussed at one time or another. um, i am going to get a tattoo to go with her calamity jane, but that isn’t completely wedding related.

• JTH | March 23, 2010 at 7:53 pm |

[quote comment=”382687″][quote comment=”382684″][quote comment=”382683″]robert preston marshall

congratulations

ya picked a perfect pineapple[/quote]

Seconded.[/quote]

i had to change the subject, because she was giving me the roofus~goofus again about sunday considering you were wearing the .45s you got from me in today’s post(apparently she reads every day now). good golly it’s like i kicked johnny thunders in the nuts or something. so i blurted out “can i wear a nudie cohn when we get hitched?”[/quote]
    I hope she heard you correctly and she didn’t think you said Mindy Cohn.

• rpm | March 23, 2010 at 8:09 pm |

maybe i could borrow this suit to use somehow.

• JTH | March 23, 2010 at 8:15 pm |

My kids are watching “Jonny Quest” right now.

Am I the only ignoramus who thought the reason Hadji wore the turban was because he was a fortune teller?

• Sluglord | March 23, 2010 at 8:55 pm |

THE GOGGLES! THEY DO NOTHING!

• Beats in Buffalo | March 23, 2010 at 9:08 pm |

THE GOGGLES! THEY DO NOTHING!

They must have moved the Bills to the NFC last night while we were all sleeping.

• Andy | March 23, 2010 at 9:51 pm |

[quote comment=”382682″][quote comment=”382672″][quote comment=”382663″]Speaking of BFBS, am I only one thinks the Celtics farting around with their unis is very, very close to Yankees jerking around what they wear.

I don’t know. I find the idea of the Celtics wearing St. Patrick’s Day uniforms kind of redundant.[/quote]

As do I. I would prefer the gold trimmed-uniform as a full-time alternate or even {gasp} the primary road uniform. I’d also like to see gold incorporated into the home ones, too, if that were the case.

• JimV19 | March 23, 2010 at 10:03 pm |

THE GOGGLES! THEY DO NOTHING![/quote]

Shouldn’t that be shipped to the Third World, seeing as how they screwed up so bad?

And it’s not even marked down, as you can see when compared with other equally scary but properly logoed shirts:

• LI Phil | March 23, 2010 at 10:14 pm |

THE GOGGLES! THEY DO NOTHING![/quote]

• JimV19 | March 23, 2010 at 10:19 pm |

[quote comment=”382696″][quote comment=”382695″][quote comment=”382692″]http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4026131&cp=2237411.2237578&pageType=family&parentPage=family

THE GOGGLES! THEY DO NOTHING![/quote]

anyone notice how the jets, bucs, skins & niners all have their color as black? WTF? other teams like the dolfish have aqua so it’s not like they’re standardizing all teams to navy blue or black only…the eagles, who legitimately COULD have a black one have midnight green[/quote]

About as many logos as a Nascar pit crew shirt.

You gotta wear some LoudMouth pants with that thing…

• Ricko | March 23, 2010 at 10:27 pm |

[/quote]
    You have an interesting definition of “pretty much all.”[/quote]

Outside of Chicago and Baltimore would be “pretty much all”.

Don’t get me wrong, Cubs were my first favorite team. That fold was painful. But the Mets in the Series, as a bit of unfolding baseball folklore…was fun.

—Ricko

• JimV19 | March 23, 2010 at 10:42 pm |

While searching for pics of the 1963 NIT, I happened across this beauty of a picture from the ’63 All-American college football team:

Not a BFBS uni to be found in the whole bunch. Aaaah…

But I digress – the reason I’m looking for the ’63 NIT is this: I can’t seem to find a picture of Bill Raftery playing for La Salle. I found one of his teammate, the late Paul Gallagher:

• LI Phil | March 23, 2010 at 11:07 pm |

[quote comment=”382699″]I’d like to know what Raftery’s number was so I can DIY that jersey. Anyone out there able to help?[/quote]

sorry mothervilker, you may have to email the man himself…

about the only site that even lists a roster (pretty good team, on paper, it seems) doesn’t have uni numbers

• JTH | March 23, 2010 at 11:26 pm |

[/quote]
    You have an interesting definition of “pretty much all.”[/quote]

Outside of Chicago and Baltimore would be “pretty much all”.

—Ricko[/quote]
    Were Yankees fans on the bandwagon?

Serious question.

• JTH | March 23, 2010 at 11:33 pm |

[quote comment=”382701″][quote comment=”382698″][quote comment=”382665″][quote comment=”382664″]That’s part of what made 1969 so much fun for pretty much all of baseball.
    [/quote]
    You have an interesting definition of “pretty much all.”[/quote]

Outside of Chicago and Baltimore would be “pretty much all”.

—Ricko[/quote]
    Were Yankees fans on the bandwagon?

Serious question.[/quote]
    Oh, and I’m sure you didn’t necessarily have to go outside of Chicago to find those who enjoyed it.

• JTH | March 23, 2010 at 11:36 pm |

Oh, dear God. Please make it stop.

On the other hand, this is pretty nice. I’m sure someone at Reebok got fired for it.

• LI Phil | March 23, 2010 at 11:46 pm |

[quote comment=”382701″]
    Were Yankees fans on the bandwagon?

Serious question.[/quote]

TRUE yankee fans would say no, but in 1969 (granted, i was born, but not old enough to really know — but my pop told me stories)…EVERYONE (it seemed) was on the bandwagon

interestingly, i recently came across this diatribe which i’d say is a fairly accurate description of yankee fans and met fans (although penned in 2005, it’s still pretty poignant)

interesting reading, if nothing else

• JTH | March 24, 2010 at 12:11 am |

[quote comment=”382704″][quote comment=”382701″]
    Were Yankees fans on the bandwagon?

Serious question.[/quote]

interesting reading, if nothing else

so how about chitown, james? im guessing there were some bandwagon sox fans in 2005?[/quote]
    Yeah. Some Cubs fans were just happy the city finally got its championship after an 88-year drought. Others were, and still are, bitter that it was the Sox who got it. (As if there was any doubt which team it would be.)

But I think it’s hard to compare the two situations — the the proverbial apples and oranges comparison, if you will.

• BurghFan | March 24, 2010 at 12:56 am |

NO! Ricko’s original point, which I completely agree with, is that the Celtics have worn basically the same green and white uniforms for many decades. There’s been the odd shamrock added, or changing “BOSTON” to “CELTICS” on the road jerseys, but the non-alternate unis that Paul Pierce wears are essentially the same as what Bob Cousy wore. The gold numbers are better than the black, but neither is appropriate; the Celtics, like the Yankees, have carved themselves an easily recognizable two-color identity, and they should not dilute it with ANY alternate uniform.

• BurghFan | March 24, 2010 at 12:57 am |

The second paragraph in my last post is also quoted. Sorry.

• Eric B in KC | March 24, 2010 at 2:25 am |

has anybody ever noticed that the paws on Clemson’s football jerseys are oriented differently? if so, i guess i’m late to the party