Auction Action, Eh?

Screen shot 2009-12-26 at 12.51.38 PM.png

Classic Auctions is different than the other auction houses whose wares I’ve recently covered. They’re based in Delson, Quebec, so most of what they offer is either hockey- or Canada-related. They’ve had some absolutely spectacular items up for bid lately. Here’s a sampling (in each case, click on the thumbnails for much larger photos):

This 1930s hockey jersey features something I’d never seen before: a curved northwestern stripe!

• There’s something extremely endearing about the simplicity of this fish crest. Oddly, the team was called the Fishermen, so shouldn’t the fish be hooked on a line, or hauled up in a net, or something along those lines?

• Love this photo of the Bruins’ tallest and shortest players. If you click on the thumbnail, you’ll see that the short guy’s kneepads are freakishly bulge-y.

• If only program covers still looked something like this. Or like this, this, this, or this. (As an aside, this program cover isn’t particularly remarkable, but I love the milk ad at the middle of the center-spread.)

• It’s not often that you see old minor league all-star sweaters — very nice.

• Here’s a much more spectacular minor league all-star design. I love everything about this jersey — the stripes, the stars, the off-center crest, the cuffs, the felt numerals in the odd font. Magnifique!

• Totally digging this 1960s NHL calendar artwork.

Wheaties posters!

• These sports-themed beer ads are soooo up my alley, especially the football one.

• I’d never seen anything like these adjustable cardboard rings. Were these common in Canada?

• Getting tired of all the hockey material? Then dig this amazing Hamilton Tiger-Cats jersey.

• Oooh, how sweet is this old New York Americans jacket? Looks like it would be too big for me, but I’d happily gain weight and have arm-lengthening surgery for a chance to wear that baby out in public.

• I’ve seen throwback reproductions of the old Quebec Aces design, but I think this is the first time I’ve seen an authentic vintage example.

• Something really nice about the simplicity of this pennant.

This Canadiens jacket and this Bruins cardigan are both a little generic-feeling for my tastes, but I love how the swash under each team name script has “N.H.L.” — like, just in case you weren’t sure.

• I would’ve bought a lot more hockey cards as a kid if they’d come in this wrapper.

• Be sure to click on the thumbnail so you can see how the bear’s tongue is shaped like a hockey stick.

• Totally loving these NHL All-Star posters of Gordie Howe and Bob Pulford.

Best. Hockey. Crest. Ever. (And here’s one that isn’t far behind.)

• Turns out the 1970 Des Moines Oak Leafs had an unbeatable uni combo: a spectacular jersey crest and CNOB!

• Attention skedders: this one’s for you.

• Not sure why this baseball photo was part of the auction — no discernable connection to hockey or Canada — but take a closer look at Gabby Hartnett’s late-1920s Cubs logo. So damn cool.

(Special thanks to Paul Wiederecht, who first tipped me wise to Classic Auctions.)

Uni Watch News Ticker: Birthday boy Jack Krabbe recently found himself on an airplane sitting next to a kid with an Orioles logo tattoo. It’s tough to be sure, but it looks like it includes the team’s upside-down apostrophe. … Color-on-color alert! “That’s Here’s the Victoria Salmon Kings of the ECHL in their red Canadian Olympic-themed ‘home’ uniforms, taking on the Alaska Aces in Victoria, BC, on Sunday, Dec. 27,” says Mark Snider. “Normally, the home team wears white during the first half of the ECHL season, then they shift to the dark uniforms at home after the league’s all-star game. But the Salmon Kings introduced their red alternate duds in honor of the upcoming Olympics.” … Several of the Vikings’ NOBs were riding seriously low last night (as noted by Jackson Bungart). … The Pennsylvania Dept. of Transportation is using a new, more legible font for their highway signage (with thanks to Todd Bingman). … Terry Proctor is gonna flip when he sees what I just won on eBay. … According to a sentence in the middle of this page, Miami will be wearing their riflery uniforms for their bowl game tonight (with thanks to Sam Miret).

151 comments to Auction Action, Eh?

• Tony in Erie PA | December 29, 2009 at 7:49 am |

• steve j. | December 29, 2009 at 8:51 am |

Anyone have photos of Viking CB Griffin last night as examples of his first half black socks and his switch (to change up their luck as they trailed at half?) to traditional purple/white mix for the second half?

• Hott Rodd | December 29, 2009 at 9:17 am |

[quote comment=”369094″]I think you ran an article about the PennDOT font change last summer…not that it doesn’t need repeating, I agree that the signs are pretty cool.

Very cool post today, I can’t help but be sucked in to that vintage hockey stuff. It makes me wonder if middle-agers in 2030 will be longing for things like the FOX Robot[/quote]

I long for the old turkey trophy from the early 2000’s. sort of.

• Mike Hersh | December 29, 2009 at 9:18 am |

Hey Paul.

Well done with the coverage of this auction. If I hadn’t just got married, I think I would have spent a few bucks there.

In regards to the cards with rings, check out this site

Sorry for driving the price of the Champion catalog up a bit. I was going for a dupe.

• leon | December 29, 2009 at 9:42 am |

Re: PA road signage

“The font is said to reduce a phenomenon called halation, which causes blurring when bright headlights strike a highly reflective surface.”

Can also be brought on by another phenomenon called inhalation.

• Hibbsy | December 29, 2009 at 10:14 am |

That minor league hockey jersey was indeed magnifique. I love it when a fourth color is combined with the primary colors. It’s almost always green. Especially in the board game world (Sorry, Uno, Phase 10, etc). I can’t really think of an instance when the fourth color wasn’t green. Someone once told me that orange looks too much like red, and that purple is too close to blue. Green stands more independent of yellow or blue. I’m buying it.

• Hank | December 29, 2009 at 10:18 am |

Why can’t that abomination go the way of Fox’s ‘glowing puck’?

• M.Princip | December 29, 2009 at 10:21 am |

Too bad that Tiger Cats jersey is pink? I guess you could get that bleached out?

• Jordan Sogn | December 29, 2009 at 10:31 am |

as a college football fan, thank goodness Reebok doesn’t have any school ties (outside of BC which i believe is switching to UA this spring?)…the attention to detail on NFL uniforms are horrible!

• Jet | December 29, 2009 at 10:36 am |

Oh man, what a way to start the day. I’m misty-eyed looking at these hockey auction items.

No one has made a “we want Fish Sticks!” comment about that Selkirk Fisherman sweater yet??

What’s great about that 71-72 Bruins yearbook is that on the three sample pages shown, they include color pictures of WESTERN conference opponents. It was always a big deal to see pics of the colorful North Stars, Penguins and Kings unis (the three shown) or any expansion team for that matter back then because the Original Six teams tended to regard the Original Expansion teams on a par with the American Hockey League for many years when it came to promotional photos, etc.

I had those Wheaties posters. Western Conference, of course. Still got some pics of me as a teen with them hanging on the wall of my room.

Well done. Today’s edition is a keeper…

• Teebz | December 29, 2009 at 11:04 am |

Ok, major update for the UW Deep Freeze.

The Ramada’s salesperson has called me and we have agreed on a price of $69/night for the Friday and Saturday (but he seemed to be pretty lax about the days as long as we stay there). That’s their best price that they can offer, so if you want a hotel room, please email me. I hope that code came out right.

If you want to call them and book directly, please phone 1-800-551-ROOM (7666). The name you want to book under is “Deep Freeze”. Only call this if YOU WANT YOUR OWN ROOM. Otherwise, email me and I’ll get bookings set up through the Ramada.

Renovated hotel, large indoor pool, new exercise facility, wireless and data ports in each room… I’m hoping it is as good as they claim to be.

Sound good? Alrighty then.

• JTH | December 29, 2009 at 11:12 am |

[quote comment=”369100″][quote comment=”369094″] . . . It makes me wonder if middle-agers in 2030 will be longing for things like the FOX Robot[/quote]

Why can’t that abomination go the way of Fox’s ‘glowing puck’?[/quote]
    Best Fox cross-promotion ever.

Too bad we’ll probably never see them do that again, since the show was canceled.

• interlockingtc | December 29, 2009 at 11:24 am |

* The Des Moines Oak Leaf little guy
    * The Swiss SC Bern bear
    * The Quebec Aces playing cards
    * The Selkirk fish (!)

Yeah, this milk is good!

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 11:29 am |

[quote comment=”369104″]Ok, major update for the UW Deep Freeze.

Sound good? Alrighty then.[/quote]

There are several okay places to eat within walking distance, too, as well as a shopping area with Sports Authority, Barnes&Noble and Best Buy, among others. Kitty corner across the freeway, is a big box store of Hockey Giant (hockeygiant.com). Also REI and, bit farther away, Dick’s Sporting Goods. Hotel has shuttle to Mall of America and airport. Hopefully, enough local UWers will be involved so that we can get out-of-towners the six miles or so to Pond Hockey at Lake Nokomis via a carpool.

Light Rail runs from Mall of America to Airport and on to downtown, ending a block from Target Center, for those who might want to attend the Wolves game Friday night. Can be done without a car, I mean.

Want to figure where the Ramada is? It’s at intersection of Lyndale Avenue South and Interstate 494. Can enter 7800 Lyndale Ave. So at MapQuest and will come close enough for searching where things are relative to it.

• TC Mark | December 29, 2009 at 11:40 am |

[quote comment=”369104″]Ok, major update for the UW Deep Freeze.

Sound good? Alrighty then.[/quote]

Good hotel, good location. Used to be the Thunderbird Hotel, right next to the site of the old Met Center (if you are at the Ramada I think you are at). Next to Mall of America, IKEA and airport too. Short hop to the pond hockey on Lake Nokomis, 25-30 minutes to hockey on Lake Minnetonka. I think they have a free shuttle to/from airport as well.

• TC Mark | December 29, 2009 at 11:41 am |

[quote comment=”369108″][quote comment=”369104″]Ok, major update for the UW Deep Freeze.

Sound good? Alrighty then.[/quote]

I live in TC and plan to attend at least the gathering and hope to make some of the other events. Looking forward to putting names with faces.[/quote]

Ricko beat me to it and it is a different Ramada (though only about 5 minutes from the one I mentioned). I stand corrected.

• Tony in Erie PA | December 29, 2009 at 11:43 am |

Funny thing about the Montreal Maroons pennant.

Every time I hear that teams name, I think of Bugs Bunny saying, “what a maroon!” like “what a dummy”…

“World Champion Maroons” kinda takes on a whole new meaning, dunnit

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 11:59 am |

[quote comment=”369110″]Funny thing about the Montreal Maroons pennant.

“World Champion Maroons” kinda takes on a whole new meaning, dunnit[/quote]

Is this where we give Powers shit by noting that “being marooned” then would mean getting a degree from, I dunno, Wagner?

• Max | December 29, 2009 at 12:01 pm |

Question: (Ricko will know this I’m sure.)

• Mike F | December 29, 2009 at 12:01 pm |

That hornet needs less teeth.

• JimV19 | December 29, 2009 at 12:09 pm |

Paul Lukas said:
    “Here’s a much more spectacular minor league all-star design. I love everything about this jersey — the stripes, the stars, the off-center crest, the cuffs, the felt numerals in the odd font. Magnifique!”

• breezy | December 29, 2009 at 12:11 pm |

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 12:13 pm |

[quote comment=”369112″]Question: (Ricko will know this I’m sure.)

When did MLB teams switch from felt numbers and letters to tackle twill numbers and letters on flannel jerseys?[/quote]

I’d think/guess the early 1950s, but would have to do some photo comparing to be certain. Might even have been before that.

I started following baseball around that time, and I know the felt always looked “old-tiimey” when I saw it in photos.

Could be wrong; that’s just a first-thought reaction, remembering old baseball cards and photos (without actually taking a look at them).

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 12:15 pm |

—Ricko[/quote]

For ex., I have a 1951 Minneapolis Millers jersey from Ebbets Field Flannels. The letters/numbers are tackle twill…and Ebbets is pretty manic about accuracy.

• JimV19 | December 29, 2009 at 12:18 pm |

Gotta love the end of the description for that awesome Ti-Cats jersey:
    “Nice wear here with unrepaired holes and burns on the shoulders. Sensational black and yellow stripes on the sleeves, with a spot of dried blood on the right sleeve delivering that taste of smashmouth football.”

• Max | December 29, 2009 at 12:20 pm |

—Ricko[/quote]

I have an early 1960s Los Angeles Angels jersey that has the felt numbers and letters and a 1970 Reds with tackle twill.

I am wondering if different manufacturers did it at different times.

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 12:30 pm |

[quote comment=”369119″][quote comment=”369117″][quote comment=”369116″][quote comment=”369112″]Question: (Ricko will know this I’m sure.)

—Ricko[/quote]

I am wondering if different manufacturers did it at different times.[/quote]

Could be. Cuz, come to think of it, the last Los Angeles Angels PCL team (’57) had felt….

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 12:34 pm |

’61 Angels (last series ’61 card, shot in spring training; note no hat halo on Ken Hunt in bkgd).

Felt or twill? Hard to tell without holding actual card…

–Ricko

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 12:35 pm |

Kent Hunt, btw, is the father of Butch Patrick (“Eddie Munster”).

• juan grande | December 29, 2009 at 12:41 pm |

• JimV19 | December 29, 2009 at 12:47 pm |

So does that mean LSU is practicing in their black and red jerseys? ;)

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 12:49 pm |

[quote comment=”369125″]forgive for I have been away for a while, but why are the “rivalry” uniforms continually referred to as “riflery” uniforms[/quote]

Skewering Nike’s “prepare for combat” nonsense relative to the promotion.

• JimV19 | December 29, 2009 at 12:52 pm |

[quote comment=”369110″]Funny thing about the Montreal Maroons pennant.

“World Champion Maroons” kinda takes on a whole new meaning, dunnit[/quote]

I’ve seen too many cartoons, so I think the same thing as well.

By the way, Paul, if you liked the Maroons pennant, you might like these from my basement:
    Have some others, but those are my oldest and simplest ones.

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 12:52 pm |

So does that mean LSU is practicing in their black and red jerseys? ;)

Hmm, green jerseys…in the future could we see a change from the Nittany Lions to the Neon Lions?[/quote]

They’re just adding colors cuz they feel like it.
    They ARE a Nike school, after all.
    Like Oregon.

Can you imagine Joe Paterno….? LOL
    “Hey, Coach, should we wear navy, powder or green on Saturday?”
    “Get the fuck out of here. And what’s ‘Twitter’ mean?”

• JimV19 | December 29, 2009 at 1:04 pm |

[quote comment=”369129″][quote comment=”369126″][quote comment=”369115″]Penn State preapres for their upcoming bowl game…wearing their light blue jerseys and green jerseys…

So does that mean LSU is practicing in their black and red jerseys? ;)

They’re just adding colors cuz they feel like it.
    They ARE a Nike school, after all.
    Like Oregon.

Can you imagine Joe Paterno….? LOL
    “Hey, Coach, should we wear navy, powder or green on Saturday?”
    “Get the fuck out of here. And what’s ‘Twitter’ mean?”

—Ricko[/quote]

Literally laughing out loud (LLOL?)

• Bernard | December 29, 2009 at 1:16 pm |

“World Champion Maroons” kinda takes on a whole new meaning, dunnit[/quote]

I’ve seen too many cartoons, so I think the same thing as well.

Have some others, but those are my oldest and simplest ones.[/quote]

Wow, great stuff, Jim! I love that the Steelers pennant is exactly the same as the Giants pennant, except in Black n Gold and with a steel mill behind the guy!

• JimV19 | December 29, 2009 at 1:17 pm |

• JimV19 | December 29, 2009 at 1:18 pm |

“World Champion Maroons” kinda takes on a whole new meaning, dunnit[/quote]

I’ve seen too many cartoons, so I think the same thing as well.

Have some others, but those are my oldest and simplest ones.[/quote]

However, I do NOT care for the Chicago Cardinals pennant. Look at all the extraneous piping on that uniform… ;)[/quote]

• JTH | December 29, 2009 at 1:19 pm |

[quote comment=”369133″][quote comment=”369131″][quote comment=”369128″][quote comment=”369110″]Funny thing about the Montreal Maroons pennant.

“World Champion Maroons” kinda takes on a whole new meaning, dunnit[/quote]

I’ve seen too many cartoons, so I think the same thing as well.

Have some others, but those are my oldest and simplest ones.[/quote]

That was an early Nike prototype, when they were thinking of a squiggle logo instead of a swoosh logo…[/quote]
    Thank God that monochrome/unitard look never caught on.

Oh, wait…

• The Jeff | December 29, 2009 at 1:26 pm |

I know why a lot of teams have logos like this: 1) because their designers can do it and 2) because your average DIYer can’t. Even if I wasn’t a cheapskate, though, I’d still prefer a simpler logo.[/quote]

I think that Aces logo is horrible for more reasons than just being too jagged and/or busy. It’s polar bear. WTF do polar bears have to do with Aces?

• David | December 29, 2009 at 1:27 pm |

The font change on highway signs is pretty neat, but we’ve had the new font in Texas for probably about 5 years or so now.

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 1:32 pm |

3) computers allow designers to create precise arcs, angles details and typography that, with a brush, are time consuming and a pain in the ass (which, I guess, goes to your DIY point)…not to mention embracing the “more is better” philosophy.

The Whalers logo today likely would be considered “too PlaySkool, looks like some second grader drew it with markers.”

• JimV19 | December 29, 2009 at 1:40 pm |

[quote comment=”369137″][quote comment=”369132″]That color-on-color game is a good contrast in logos. The Salmon Kings http://www.harbourli... have a nice simple logo, almost hearkening back to the stuff we’ve seen in today’s article. The Aces, on the other hand, http://www.echl.com/... are an example of why I don’t like most modern logos – too many jagged edges, a way-too-mean mascot and it’s just too busy. A few tweaks and this could be a really cool logo.

—Ricko[/quote]

That’s what I meant by “their designers can do it.” That logo just makes me think of the saying, “Just because you CAN do it, doesn’t always mean you should.”

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 1:45 pm |

At least it’s a hockey logo without any hockey equipment on it, so it’s got that going for it.[/quote]

Well, they couldn’t very well use a playing card with ice and snow all over it, cuz that would have sent the message, “Come to Alaska and freeze your ace off.”

Just a guess: The bear is for Alaska. Not all logos are about the nickname. Some are about the place. Now, if they were the Albany Aces or something…

• JimV19 | December 29, 2009 at 1:51 pm |

So long, Dave Diles, and thanks for the memories.

• Teebz | December 29, 2009 at 1:58 pm |

[quote comment=”369139″][quote comment=”369135″][quote comment=”369132″]That color-on-color game is a good contrast in logos. The Salmon Kings http://www.harbourli... have a nice simple logo, almost hearkening back to the stuff we’ve seen in today’s article. The Aces, on the other hand, http://www.echl.com/... are an example of why I don’t like most modern logos – too many jagged edges, a way-too-mean mascot and it’s just too busy. A few tweaks and this could be a really cool logo.

—Ricko[/quote]

The original team was called the Anchorage Aces when they played in the West Coast Hockey League (WCHL). The following year, the Aces changed their logo to something more hockey-centric, regional, and team-centric as they used a polar bear for a mascot.

In 2003-04 after being sold on eBay, the new “Alaska Aces” joined the expanding ECHL as the “E” looked west. The Aces decided to rebrand again. They won the ECHL’s Kelly Cup in 2006. However, the Aces looked to incorporate more of a regional identity once again in 2008, and they put Boomer the Polar Bear, their mascot, back into the logo.

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 2:02 pm |

Speaking of “Boomer”, was gonna mention the headline atop the StarTribune sports page today is…

FUMBLIN’, STUMBLIN’

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 2:10 pm |

Phil’s boss is in the office today, btw.

Don’t you hate it when they show up and, on top of having to spend eight hours a day there, they expect you to WORK, too.

• Bob Loblaw | December 29, 2009 at 2:21 pm |

[quote comment=”369140″]So long, Dave Diles, and thanks for the memories.

• JTH | December 29, 2009 at 2:29 pm |

[quote comment=”369143″]Phil’s boss is in the office today, btw.

—Ricko[/quote]
    Yet another example of The Man keeping us down…

• leon | December 29, 2009 at 2:45 pm |

My memories are fuzzy, but didn’t Diles do the Prudential Halftime show with Warner Wolf?[/quote]

FWIW
    My memories are fuzzy as well but I believe Warner co-hosted some college football scoreboard show, perhaps the Prudential one (were there any others?). I think it was only for one year (1975?) and it wasn’t a good fit for his talents as I recall.

Or not.

• Nicole | December 29, 2009 at 2:53 pm |

Would

Chance Michaels

Paul Radetsky

Andrew Greenwood

Zach Davis
    and
    Steve Prestegard

Please, please email me? I write for a Brewers website and I’d like to do a piece on the logo/uni reworks that were done and I didn’t find any way to contact you.

I’d like to use all the “redos” so everyone who did one should look for an email from me soon. I think this would make a great off-season discussion starter and I can’t wait to share your great work with a wider Brewers audience. Paul’s already okayed the hijacking of the topic.

Please get in contact with me at nicole(dot)haase(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks!

• LI Phil | December 29, 2009 at 3:00 pm |

[quote comment=”369129″]
    “Get the fuck out of here. And what’s ‘Twitter’ mean?”[/quote]

–following the vikes loss to da bears

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 3:11 pm |

[quote comment=”369148″][quote comment=”369129″]
    “Get the fuck out of here. And what’s ‘Twitter’ mean?”[/quote]

–following the vikes loss to da bears[/quote]

Meh. They lost. They aren’t as much fun to watch now.

After the Panther game I said they were playing like a “one-and-done” playoff team. Still are.

They miss E.J. Henderson more than people realize (sorta same thing happened last year when he got hurt).

And now any football coach with an IQ above 85 knows how to beat them.

The Favre-Chilly thing has nuthin’ to do with it. Just do NOT attack the big guys in the O-line straight on. Come at them from one side or the other, force them to get their feet moving, and they can be had.

Toooaaaaasssssst.

• M.Princip | December 29, 2009 at 3:18 pm |

Holy smokes! Fitz, meet Chicago Cardinal, your long lost brother.

Red monochromes to the tee.

• Bob Loblaw | December 29, 2009 at 3:23 pm |

[quote comment=”369146″][quote comment=”369144″][quote comment=”369140″]So long, Dave Diles, and thanks for the memories.

FWIW

Or not.[/quote]
    I’ll tune into W Wolfs’ 1050AM gig on Saturday morning –perhaps he’ll address his association w/ D. Dile. just out of curiosity, mind you.

• LI Phil | December 29, 2009 at 3:25 pm |

[quote comment=”369150″]Holy smokes! Fitz, meet Chicago Cardinal, your long lost brother.

Red monochromes to the tee.[/quote]

nice catch

• LI Phil | December 29, 2009 at 3:42 pm |

[quote comment=”369140″]So long, Dave Diles, and thanks for the memories.

hey…didn’t i just hear that george michael just passed on as well?

• JTH | December 29, 2009 at 3:59 pm |

hey…didn’t i just hear that george michael just passed on as well?

man…i used to watch the sports machine sunday nights before cable arrived in my neighborhood…[/quote]
    Yeah. On Christmas Eve.

That show was great. I loved that he would cover pro wresting alongside everything else. And I also liked the way he would “run the tape” himself on the big Machine.

RIP, George.

• aflfan | December 29, 2009 at 4:37 pm |

[quote comment=”369140″]So long, Dave Diles, and thanks for the memories.

Very sad, I grew up watching Dave Diles do sports here in Detroit, will him and Al Ackerman.

• Tom V | December 29, 2009 at 4:38 pm |

• LI Phil | December 29, 2009 at 4:50 pm |

[quote comment=”369156″]Yeah, used to watch the GM Sports Machine too. My wife was a little shocked when I told her George Michael died…and then relieved and voiced some displeasure with me.[/quote]

im guessing she didn’t have faith

• JimV19 | December 29, 2009 at 4:52 pm |

Yeah, my sisters were shocked, thinking it was the guy from Wham, then I explained who he was.

• PittSlovak | December 29, 2009 at 4:59 pm |

• leon | December 29, 2009 at 5:04 pm |

RFK taken out of mothballs for Temple/Ucla. Too bad it’s not coloroncolor.

• JimV19 | December 29, 2009 at 5:07 pm |

[quote comment=”369154″][quote comment=”369153″][quote comment=”369140″]So long, Dave Diles, and thanks for the memories.

hey…didn’t i just hear that george michael just passed on as well?

Yeah. On Christmas Eve.

RIP, George.[/quote]

Good show. I used to enjoy watching that.

Tough week for sportscasters, eh?

• Patrick in MI | December 29, 2009 at 5:13 pm |

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 5:14 pm |

Love Temple’s pants. And, of course, all the better because no other major college program or pro team wears that “titled” look. Ottawa Rough Riders did a long time ago, but no one else these days.

• LI Phil | December 29, 2009 at 5:17 pm |

TILED…not titled ;)

• JTH | December 29, 2009 at 5:21 pm |

TILED…not titled ;)[/quote]
    Relax. We’re all en-TITLED to the occasional typo.

I’ll fuck off now.

• BurghFan | December 29, 2009 at 5:52 pm |

A story about George Michael as a big-time disk jockey before his television career. complete with a link to some on-air sound:

• Flip | December 29, 2009 at 6:06 pm |

Speaking of Temple’s tiling pattern, did UNC have a checkerboard thing going on with those throw-backs last night against Rutgers? I haven’t seen any close-up pictures today. Pretty sweet, through.

• Flip | December 29, 2009 at 6:12 pm |

What a jerk. I thought the game WAS played for the players’ benefit. Since when did was it played for the benefit of the coach?

• Flip | December 29, 2009 at 6:15 pm |

Things are stacked too high in their favor as it is. The players get jack. Hope Tech has the stones to follow this through.[/quote]

Fixed. Need an edit button.

• Flip | December 29, 2009 at 6:17 pm |

[quote comment=”369169″][quote comment=”369168″]I like the half-time conversation between Lou Holtz and Mark May about Texas Tech’s suspension of Mike Leach. After May made his points, Holz accused him of looking at the situation from the players’ perspective. “How about looking at it from a coach’s perspective,” he asked.

Fixed. Need an edit button.[/quote]

• Flip | December 29, 2009 at 6:18 pm |

couldn’t get the closed tag to work, sorry.

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 6:23 pm |

UCLA-Temple.

Both teams in white shoes. Most players in white high socks. Kind of an ’80s flashback goin’ on here.

• LarryB | December 29, 2009 at 6:28 pm |

“World Champion Maroons” kinda takes on a whole new meaning, dunnit[/quote]

I’ve seen too many cartoons, so I think the same thing as well.

Have some others, but those are my oldest and simplest ones.[/quote]

Wow, I love the old pennants like those. I bought a lot of felt in hoping to make some of my own mini pennants. Never got around to it though.

Also I had forgot about the descending size of letters as the letters head towards the narrow part.
    DOH

• LI Phil | December 29, 2009 at 6:34 pm |

[quote comment=”369172″]UCLA-Temple.

just got home…

where’s this game being played? i see the players’ breath!

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 6:37 pm |

[quote comment=”369174″][quote comment=”369172″]UCLA-Temple.

just got home…

where’s this game being played? i see the players’ breath!

i thought bowl games were played in like, warm sunny locales…guessing UCLA was glad they made the trip from so cal for this…boosters too[/quote]

RFK.
    They quoted Rick N. as saying the bowl invite was a great thing for a program that’s rebuilding…for what that’s worth.

• BuckeyeMark | December 29, 2009 at 6:42 pm |

Need help with the Temple merit decals. Thought they were Valentine’s hearts. Close up makes it appear they are actually diamonds. Someone got the story behind this?

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 6:44 pm |

Do know which Brewer fans are on Ebbets Field Flannels’ mailing list, but this baby is on sale…

• leon | December 29, 2009 at 6:45 pm |

• leon | December 29, 2009 at 7:00 pm |

from “Star” as in “Stargell” by a Mr. Lukas:

“The Temple Owls are an instructive case study: Instead of taking the obvious and boring approach of using an owl-based design, their stickers instead depict a diamond—a brilliantly obscure reference to university founder Russell Conwell, who was known for his inspirational “Acres of Diamonds” oratory.”

BTW, Temple colors referred to as Cherry and White.

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 7:23 pm |

[quote comment=”369174″][quote comment=”369172″]UCLA-Temple.

just got home…

where’s this game being played? i see the players’ breath!

Weather can be a little capricious at some sites, even those where we might not expect it to be. As I recall Joe Montana had hypothermia issues in the Cotton Bowl. In Dallas.

From ESPN website’s “Montana Was Comeback King”…

“The most dramatic of them was his last collegiate game, at the 1979 Cotton Bowl, when he fought hypothermia in the ice and wind in Dallas. After being fed bouillon during the second half to get his temperature back near normal, he led Notre Dame from a 34-12 deficit to a 35-34 victory in the final 7:37, throwing a perfect pass to Kris Haines for a touchdown with no time remaining.”

• LI Phil | December 29, 2009 at 7:24 pm |

[quote comment=”369179″]Temple colors referred to as Cherry and White.[/quote]

they were apparently a bit redder last time temple was in a bowl game

too bad ucla is now just putting on ayres

• Ricko | December 29, 2009 at 7:32 pm |

[quote comment=”369181″][quote comment=”369179″]Temple colors referred to as Cherry and White.[/quote]

they were apparently a bit redder last time temple was in a bowl game

too bad ucla is now just putting on ayres[/quote]

Owls’ cleats were really ahead of their time, too, huh.

• Jet | December 29, 2009 at 7:33 pm |

[quote comment=”369159″]I love all this old hockey stuff! Those cardboard rings have to be from at least 1970 since the Canucks are there but the Penguins is the one they only used for the 1967-68 season. Plus, the Seals logo is the one used for the first few months before they changed the name to the Oakland Seals in December 1967.[/quote]

That Seals logo is never a good one to use as a barometer for dating things. That subtle change of the outside ring of the logo from a “C” to an “O” is not the kind of thing that many people noticed in the early days of expansion. Heck, many people didn’t even realize that outer ring represented either a “C” or an “O” to begin with, in the same way they didn’t see the “C” in the original Canucks logo.

So when it was time for some company to make a souvenir item, the odds of there being a uni geek on hand to say, “hey, don’t forget to use the right Seals logo!” was rather slim…

• JimV19 | December 29, 2009 at 7:51 pm |

[quote comment=”369172″]UCLA-Temple.

No wonder I love it!

Normally I would ignore a bowl like this because it includes a 6-6 team, but there our so many other things in its favor:

– The uni-matchup is freaking sweet.

– I like RFK Stadium.

– The name, although a corporate one, rolls off the tongue.

– It’s on during the day.

Gee, guess I’m not letting the cat out of the bag by saying this will make the next-to-last Top 5 list. Just wish I could have seen it on something larger than my computer screen.

• LI Phil | December 29, 2009 at 7:55 pm |

• Momofuku | December 29, 2009 at 8:00 pm |

[quote comment=”369114″]Paul Lukas said:

Someone needs to pick that sweater design for his or her membership card. I’d wear that.[/quote]

Funny how this

Reminds me of this

• LI Phil | December 29, 2009 at 8:10 pm |

canes lookin good in their storm troopers

• Jamie | December 29, 2009 at 8:11 pm |

Rivalry unis for Miami in the Champs Sports Bowl.

• Mark M | December 29, 2009 at 8:11 pm |

It is still used 20+ times a year for soccer, both DC United and international games.

• Komet17 | December 29, 2009 at 8:14 pm |

BOB Griese.

• Jamie | December 29, 2009 at 8:15 pm |

[quote comment=”369185″][quote comment=”369168″]I like the half-time conversation between Lou Holtz and Mark May about Texas Tech’s suspension of Mike Leach. After May made his points, Holz accused him of looking at the situation from the players’ perspective. “How about looking at it from a coach’s perspective,” he asked.

does anyone else besides me feel lou holtz is thisclose to having an al campanis/don imus moment at any given second?[/quote]

It’s worth mentioning that Adam James is exaggerating the facts a lot, and just generally being a spoiled little bitch about the situation. After he got the concussion, he showed up to the next practice in sunglasses, so Leach sent him to an equipment room that players use to get out of the sun. Naturally, being a spoiled little bitch, he cried about it to his daddy, who was already calling Leach every week to complain about his kid’s PT.

Bottom line is that it’s a power play by the Jameses because their lazy-ass kid isn’t getting enough playing time and won’t let him transfer to SMU.

• JimV19 | December 29, 2009 at 8:16 pm |

[quote comment=”369180″][quote comment=”369174″][quote comment=”369172″]UCLA-Temple.

just got home…

where’s this game being played? i see the players’ breath!

From ESPN website’s “Montana Was Comeback King”…

—Ricko[/quote]

I have that game on tape (from when I had ESPN Classic). ND in the white with green #s, Houston running the veer option, Lindsay Nelson calling the whole beautiful thing…it’s a real classic.

Weather’s also a factor in my favorite lesser bowl, the Sun Bowl.
    Dig the fog in the ’74 game:

Haven’t found a picture yet, but Pitt and Texas A&M played in the snow there in ’89, when it was the John Hancock Bowl.

• Jamie | December 29, 2009 at 8:17 pm |

Sorry about the rant, but Leach put my school on the map, and I’m preparing for armed revolution and open revolt against the chancellor if he tries to fire him.

• Navy 86 | December 29, 2009 at 8:18 pm |

BOB Griese.[/quote]

No, the original comment was correct. Brian did the Eaglebank Bowl.

• Komet17 | December 29, 2009 at 8:21 pm |

BOB Griese.[/quote]

No, the original comment was correct. Brian did the Eaglebank Bowl.[/quote]

My point was that Bob, not Brian, made the taco reference.

• MPowers1634 | December 29, 2009 at 8:28 pm |

• Navy 86 | December 29, 2009 at 8:32 pm |

[quote comment=”369195″][quote comment=”369194″][quote comment=”369190″][quote comment=”369178″]Brian Griese doing the color for the Eaglebank Bowl. So far, no inappropriate taco references.[/quote]

BOB Griese.[/quote]

No, the original comment was correct. Brian did the Eaglebank Bowl.[/quote]

My point was that Bob, not Brian, made the taco reference.[/quote]
    Ah. Maybe leon was making an “apple not falling far from the tree” reference.

• leon | December 29, 2009 at 8:33 pm |

[quote comment=”369189″]No thoughts on the EagleBank Bowl, but they most certainly did not take RFK “out of mothballs.”

Granted, the city agency that “maintains” it hasn’t spent a dime on anything other than expense account lunches since the Natinals left but it is used regularly.[/quote]

I meant for football (the American kind).
    Probably too subtle an analogy.

• Ric | December 29, 2009 at 8:44 pm |

• JimV19 | December 29, 2009 at 8:45 pm |

TILED…not titled ;)[/quote]

• aflfan | December 29, 2009 at 8:56 pm |

I don’t have many hard and fast rules about uniforms but one is that uniform number should be one solid color. They can be outlined in another color but the number itself should be one color. Just my opinion.

• Thomas Clark | December 29, 2009 at 9:13 pm |

[quote comment=”369199″]No caps, but the Slovakian goalie in the IIHF tourney is wearing the number 2. Just a curious observation that it’s not 1 or 29-39.[/quote]

The other rostered Slovak goaltender is #1 leading me to believe they’re going old school european style with the backup wearing #2.

• LI Phil | December 29, 2009 at 9:22 pm |

That was ALOT of fun…It also gives me a great list of things to do over winter break.[/quote]

thank you matthew…at least ONE person liked it

how did you do, if i may ask?

• aflfan | December 29, 2009 at 9:26 pm |

[quote comment=”369203″][quote comment=”369196″]I haven’t been around in a few days so i am late in complimenting Phil and Ricko on Sunday’s quiz.

thank you matthew…at least ONE person liked it

how did you do, if i may ask?[/quote]

Phil, I liked it as well I got all but two.

• Thomas Clark | December 29, 2009 at 9:38 pm |

1 – 8
    20 – 1 (Nabokov – San Jose)
    29 – 5
    30 – 13
    31 – 6
    32 – 3
    33 – 2 (Leclair – Ottawa, Boucher – Philly)
    34 – 2 (Legace – Carolina, Kiprusoff – Calgary)
    35 – 7
    37 – 1 (Harding – Minnesota)
    38 – 1 (Deslauriers – Edmonton)
    39 – 3
    40 – 4
    41 – 3
    43 – 1 (Biron – NYI)
    49 – 1 (Leighton – Philadelphia)
    50 – 2 (Mason – Columbus, Gustavsson – Toronto)
    60 – 1 (Theodore – Washington)

Was really surprised to see only two #33s.

• Jet | December 29, 2009 at 9:42 pm |

[/quote]

• bmoss | December 29, 2009 at 9:43 pm |

What’s with some of Wisconsin players’ pants? Some of them have shiny strips up and down the back of the pants. Is this some new compression system or something?

• Thomas Clark | December 29, 2009 at 9:54 pm |

[/quote]

The first goalies I can remember breaking the mold of the 1-30-31 default numbering system, off the top of my head… Tony Esposito – 35… Gilles Meloche – 27… I believe Don “Smokey” McLeod wore 29 with the Flyers…[/quote]

• Jet | December 29, 2009 at 10:17 pm |

ok, just found a pic of Smokey McLeod – he wore #24 with the Flyers in 71-72

• Jet | December 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |

others from the early 70’s – Chris Worthy wore #25 for the Seals in 70-71 after wearing 30 the previous year (with the original style jerseys). Bob Champoux wore 28 for the Seals in 73-74.

I was a huge Seals fan, hence the obsession …

• Tall Paul | December 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |

Patrick, please contact me off list at pdeaver(at>juno[dot}com. Thanks.

• Chris | December 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |

[quote comment=”369187″]canes lookin good in their storm troopers

/hate to say it, but this is one riflery uni i like better than their regular uni[/quote]

• aflfan | December 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm |

[quote comment=”369211″][quote comment=”369162″]Awesome auction items today! I especially loved the Red Wings one (duh) just for the ads alone. Makes me wonder whatever happened to those places of business. Also, here’s a good link showing the new fonts for the route markers. I’m also a maps/roads freak so this was right up my…alley. (yeah, i said it)

Patrick, please contact me off list at pdeaver(at>juno[dot}com. Thanks.[/quote]

I love the Red Wing one too. I have a program from the 1936 Stanley Cup playoffs my granddad left me when he passed on. I have it sealed in plastic.

• aflfan | December 29, 2009 at 10:30 pm |

• Teebz | December 29, 2009 at 10:31 pm |

[quote comment=”369208″][quote comment=”369206″][quote comment=”369205″]Thought I\’d look up all the NHL goalie numbers just to see how traditional the old standards were:

[/quote]

The one I remember most from my youth (I’m only 27) was Ed Balfour wearing 20. I know people said Roy’s 33 was abnormal for the time but it always looked right to me.[/quote]

Ahem… Terry Sawchuk was the first player to opt for a number other than #1. Read all about some of the wacky goalie numbers here, and how they were originally assigned #1 and #2.

• Thomas Clark | December 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm |

Other fun random goalie numbers:

Darren Puppa – 93 with Tampa Bay
    Kevin Weekes – 80 with Carolina and NYR
    Cristobal Huet – 53 short time with Chicago
    John Grahame – 47 with Tampa/Boston/others
    Ron Hextall – 72 (pretty sure about this)

• Ric | December 29, 2009 at 10:38 pm |

Yay. I started an interesting discussion where I learned something as a result. Thanks for droppin’ the knowledge, Thomas Clark, JET, and Teebz.

• aflfan | December 29, 2009 at 10:42 pm |

• LI Phil | December 29, 2009 at 10:47 pm |

[quote comment=”369212″][quote comment=”369187″]canes lookin good in their storm troopers

What qualifies as ‘storm trooper?’ Just a white helmet, white jersey and white pants? IMHO, there’s too much orange and green to be a ‘storm trooper’ look.[/quote]

well, other than the ridiculous ass stripes, there’s pretty much no color on that uni (other than the helmet stripe/logo and uni numbers)…and oh yeah, the orange spirograph on the shoulder…and the bowl patch…and the big orange swoosh

also, every cane (except the kicker) seems to be wearing one white cleat with orange and one white with green on them

still…that’s about as storm trooper of a uni as you can get

• Teebz | December 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |

• Thomas Clark | December 29, 2009 at 10:51 pm |

Belfour wore 30 his first season with the Blackhawks as well:

• LI Phil | December 29, 2009 at 10:52 pm |

here’s a better shot

check out all the guys on the sidelines

you could make a case for it

• aflfan | December 29, 2009 at 10:52 pm |

[quote comment=”369220″][quote comment=”369218″]I will have to look through my boxes of programs and pictures but I am almost 100 percent positive that Ed Belfour wore #30 when he played for the Saginaw Hawks of the old IHL.[/quote]

He wore 31 in his second season, but I can’t find anything about his first season.[/quote]

I have tons of old Saginaw Hawks programs around here someplace, it is just finding the box they are in. If he wore 31 his second season, he more than likely wore it his first as well.

• Thomas Clark | December 29, 2009 at 10:57 pm |

• LI Phil | December 29, 2009 at 10:58 pm |

here’s a look at the orange right/green left look by the U

• Jet | December 29, 2009 at 10:58 pm |

• aflfan | December 29, 2009 at 10:58 pm |

[quote comment=”369224″]HockeyDB doesn’t have #’s for the 87-88 season for the Hawks but shows 31 for Belfour in 88-89…The Hawks are a bit before my time to have any photos or anything, plus I’m from Flint…Saginaw stole our team![/quote]

• Jet | December 29, 2009 at 10:59 pm |

[quote comment=”369226″]
    Belfour wore 30 his first couple of seasons with Chicago. [/quote]

Correcting myself, he wore 30 and 31 before switching to 20 with San Jose, then Dallas

• Teebz | December 29, 2009 at 10:59 pm |

[quote comment=”369226″][quote comment=”369218″]I will have to look through my boxes of programs and pictures but I am almost 100 percent positive that Ed Belfour wore #30 when he played for the Saginaw Hawks of the old IHL.[/quote]

Belfour wore 30 his first couple of seasons with Chicago. It wasn’t until he was traded to San Jose at the tail end of a season, then to Dallas, that he switched to #20. Why – I don’t know…[/quote]

In honour of Tretiak, his goaltending coach.

• Jet | December 29, 2009 at 11:00 pm |

[quote comment=”369229″]

In honour of Tretiak, his goaltending coach.[/quote]

Super, thanks Teebz!

• Thomas Clark | December 29, 2009 at 11:00 pm |

I live in Clarkston but I went to school at Saginaw Valley State and went to many Saginaw Generals/Hawks games.[/quote]

Bah…SVSU!?! I went to Northwood just down the road.

• Teebz | December 29, 2009 at 11:01 pm |

[quote comment=”369230″][quote comment=”369229″]

In honour of Tretiak, his goaltending coach.[/quote]

Super, thanks Teebz![/quote]

It’s all in the article I linked. ;)

But you’re welcome!

• aflfan | December 29, 2009 at 11:01 pm |

[quote comment=”369231″][quote comment=\”369227\”][quote comment=\”369224\”]HockeyDB doesn\’t have #\’s for the 87-88 season for the Hawks but shows 31 for Belfour in 88-89…The Hawks are a bit before my time to have any photos or anything, plus I\’m from Flint…Saginaw stole our team![/quote]

Bah…SVSU!?! I went to Northwood just down the road.[/quote]

Got to love the Axe Bowl.

• JTH | December 29, 2009 at 11:45 pm |

[quote comment=”369216″]Other fun random goalie numbers:

Darren Puppa – 93 with Tampa Bay
    Kevin Weekes – 80 with Carolina and NYR
    Cristobal Huet – 53 short time with Chicago
    John Grahame – 47 with Tampa/Boston/others
    Ron Hextall – 72 (pretty sure about this)[/quote]

• JTH | December 29, 2009 at 11:50 pm |

Hate to contradict you again, Thomas, but 90-91 wasn’t Belfour’s first NHL season. It was his third.

• LI Phil | December 29, 2009 at 11:58 pm |

[quote comment=”369234″][quote comment=”369216″]Other fun random goalie numbers:

Darren Puppa – 93 with Tampa Bay
    Kevin Weekes – 80 with Carolina and NYR
    Cristobal Huet – 53 short time with Chicago
    John Grahame – 47 with Tampa/Boston/others
    Ron Hextall – 72 (pretty sure about this)[/quote]
    Actually, it was Nikolai Khabibulin who wore 53 as a Blackhawk before he switched to 39. Huet wore 38 last year and went to 39 before this season.[/quote]

relax…so he blhuet

i’ll fuck off now

• Thomas Clark | December 30, 2009 at 12:00 am |

[quote comment=”369235″][quote comment=”369221″]Belfour wore 30 his first season with the Blackhawks as well:

In 88-89, he wore #31 (as mentioned by Teebz in the HBIC post that he linked above).[/quote]

Ha, no worries man, better to be corrected than continue thinking the wrong answers!

• JTH | December 30, 2009 at 12:02 am |

[quote comment=”369236″]relax…so he blhuet[/quote]
    Oh, wow.

Just… wow.

• matt in cleveland | December 30, 2009 at 12:07 am |

TILED…not titled ;)[/quote]
    wish ucla went back to the old school unis from the late 90’s

• JimV19 | December 30, 2009 at 1:22 am |

thank you matthew…at least ONE person liked it

how did you do, if i may ask?[/quote]

I liked it, but only got one. Apparently I just watch sports but not a lot of sports movies.

• JimV19 | December 30, 2009 at 1:35 am |

“Clone Trooper” might be a more accurate description:

Go ahead, proclaim a geek alert…

• Frank | December 30, 2009 at 1:34 pm |

You outbid me on that 60s Champion catalog! Please scan it and post it as i was planning on doing.

• KimK | December 30, 2009 at 1:42 pm |

[quote comment=”369229″]
    In honour of Tretiak, his goaltending coach.[/quote]

Many Russian born goalies wear #20 for the same reason.

(I know Teebz knows this, I’m just reinforcing).

• Bob Loblaw | December 30, 2009 at 2:27 pm |

they were apparently a bit redder last time temple was in a bowl game

too bad ucla is now just putting on ayres[/quote]
    looks like ‘Cos is sporting a clown nose for this picture

• Bob Loblaw | December 30, 2009 at 2:33 pm |

[quote comment=”369200″][quote comment=”369164″][quote comment=”369163″][quote comment=”369160″]RFK taken out of mothballs for Temple/Ucla. Too bad it’s not coloroncolor.[/quote]

TILED…not titled ;)[/quote]

Speaking of tiled unis, Marquette’s wearing one of my favorite unis, the light blue ones with the blue and yellow tiles. http://espn-i.starwa... I guess West Virginia had to go with the home whites instead of yellow. Great matchup.[/quote]

I think DePaul’s tiled unis worn by the ‘Aguirre led bunch of 1981 make for the best version of that look. IMO.

• Bob Loblaw | December 30, 2009 at 2:36 pm |

[quote comment=”369214″]A couple of things about that Red Wings program. Notice that the roster only had one goalie listed on the roster. That was commonplace back in those days. Usually someone on staff was the emergency goalie.

Also, Terry Sawchuck carried sides of meat in the off-season for my other granddad.[/quote]
    Or the coach as in the case of Les Patrick’s Rangers!