• Can’t ever recall having seen an Oilers player wearing red undersleeves before.
• Also can’t recall an Oilers player with a ski mask. That’s from a 1977 game in Cleveland. But hey, note that the sleeves now match the mask!
• And as long as we’re on a roll with Oilers, look at this. “Not sure if this was a pose from a Punt, Pass and Kick competition, but that sure is one cheap Oilers knockoff that kid is wearing,” says Steve.
• Here’s one that really surprised me: Ahmad Rashad with a small-cap “A” in his NOB. “It’s from a 1977 game against the Bengals,” says Steve. “This is the only time I’ve seen his name spelled that way. I think it was a one-game thing.”
• Note the inconsistency between the helmet buffalo and the jacket buffalo. The weird thing is that that’s from a 1976 game in Baltimore, two years after the logo change. Must have been an old jacket.
• Tough to see, but it looks like Lions coach Tommy Hudspeth had an unusual Lions logo on his jacket in this 1976 shot.
• Speaking of coaches, Chuck Knox and his staff wore their regular Rams caps while working the 1977 Pro Bowl.
That’ll hold us until next time. Big thanks to Steve, as always, for sharing these shots with us.
To enter, send a blank e-mail with your name in the subject line to the raffle address (not to the usual Uni Watch e-mail address, please) by 10pm next Monday, September 21st. One entry per person, but anyone enrolled in the Uni Watch membership program at the time of the drawing can send four entries. The winner will be announced next Tuesday.
Hidden Resources: There are several ongoing Uni Watch research/reference projects that I’ve periodically mentioned and linked to, but I’ve never gotten around to creating permanent visible links for them. They include the Uni Watch Glossary, the Pro Football Uni History Project, and the breakdown of NFL teams that have worn white at home.
In a long-overdue move, these pages now have permanent links in the right-hand rail, under the heading “Research Projects.” Feel free to explore them.
Uni Watch News Ticker: The Seahawks are the latest team to go with a practice jersey sponsor. … Chris Stoppel notes some developments regarding Kansas’s road pants: Since 2005 they’d been gray, but last season they wore white pants against Missouri and for the Insight Bowl. They wore the whites again for this season’s first road game. Have the gray pants been permanently retired? … What does a crop science researcher wear to work? If you’re Neil Bourlag, you wear a cool Minnesota jacket (nice find by Nate Day). … Wondering what the AFL throwback games would look like if they used vintage logos on the field? Dylan Buell has come up with some possibilities. … Southern (D-IAA) has gone old-school this season, changing from this to this (with thanks to Prentice James). … Al Davis, humble as ever. … “Wednesday was my three-year anniversary with my wife, Kate,” writes Mike Reed. “The day of our wedding, I brought several suit bags full of jerseys for us to wear for pictures. Kate risked her hairdo to pull that retro Leafs jersey over her head, and the bridesmaids and groomsmen were all VERY accommodating. As an aside, I’ve often looked at that picture and joked ‘The best day of my life…was the day I bought that jersey.’ I mean, look at it — an authentic 1987 Canada Cup Gretzky jersey, with Canada Cup patch. It’s downright glorious.” … Why did so many of these MISL teams have sleeve stripes or other sleeve design elements that stopped slightly above the elbow? According to this page from a Wichita Wings yearbook, “MISL rules said players would have to wear long sleeves, but the league went out and made a deal for short-sleeved jerseys. The solution? Take a needle and thread and sew the long sleeves on” (great info from Paul Deaver, who also sent along this shot of Pete Rose, who co-owned the Cincinnati Kids, kicking out the first ball in 1978). … Too bad this doesn’t fit me. … The Falcons, in addition to wearing throwbacks this weekend, have also put a retro spin on their web site (with thanks to Shaun Tunick). … The Iraqi baseball team finally got its uniforms (good work, Jerry Cohen). … Best sock stripes ever? Could be. And look, here’s a shot where you can actually see a puff of rosin dust as the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand. I have no idea what teams are involved here, but there’s a lot more, much of it pure gold, here (domo arigato to Marcky Marc). … New goalie mask for Carey Price (with thanks to Ryan Connelly). … Magnificent display of old matchbook designs here.