New Balls, Mate

tennis ball art

By Phil Hecken (teamed up with doubles partner, Brinke Guthrie, aka “=bg=”, Uni Watch West Coast Associate and Jr. Bureau Chief)

G’day. This evening (or tomorrow, for you living Down Under) marks the beginning of the 2009 Australian Open, the first “major” of the tennis calendar, played in Melbourne, Australia. It’s nice and warm there, and sometimes it can get downright hot. Good thing they have a climate controlled retractable-roof stadium in which to play feature matches. Here’s the top three Seeds in the mens’ and womens’ draws. And here’s what to look for at the Open.

The season’s first Grand Slam tourney is always a great way to begin the year, and it’s a fun time for crazy fans and players alike. Good times abound in Oz. They have special balls with racket smashing powers down there. Well, not really, but the players and fans can get a tad out of control down there in Australia. But look for a bit more restraint this year than usual…the economy has forced Serena to cut down on the bling.

Fashion (also called “tennis outfits”) at the Open is usually a big deal. Last year, Nike stablemare Maria Sharapova had her own special “cocktail” dress made up all special-like. The beautiful Maria, who is defending champion, will not play in this year’s Open, hobbled by injury. Not to worry, the equally beautiful and last year’s runner-up, Ana Ivanovic, is playing. (Brinke will have more on her 2009 outfits below.) Even the practice gear is special for this event.

Nike and adidas dominate the tennis world, but Fila continues to push ahead (here’s Anna Chakvetadze [previously with adidas] who should be sporting pieces from the company’s Baseline collection [along with Alfa shoes]). James Blake, formerly with Nike, has also signed on with Fila. adidas will be big on the neon yellow this year, as seen on Caroline Wozniacki, Mario Ancic and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, last year’s mens’ runner-up. Brinke will comment on this below as well.

In a major sea change in men’s fashion, it is possible we will see Rafael Nadal in sleeves, as evidenced by this and this look in yesterday’s practice session. As you know, Raffa is well known for showing off his guns and wearing “clamdigger” shorts (he must be really happy to see someone, eh?). Raffa’s fellow Nike stablemate Roger Federer will continue to sport his own Nike line. And by the way, Roger is not happy with his draw. But at least Fed’s fans will be pulling for him.

Defending champion Novac Djokovic may be sporting some lime green trou and accented shirts. If Lleyton Hewitt’s cap is any indicator, lime green may be the hot new color this year. Yes, lime green. Hooray for the lime green. Marat Safin, as is his wont, will apparently play naked. Much to the ladies’ delight, Andy Roddick will continue to practice shirtless. Fernando Verdasco may attempt to blind us all (or is that the new “court camouflage”?). Ivan Ljubicic may sport another retina searing sunburst orange. Did we say lime green will be popular this year?

Although the Open is a chance to sport the newest outfits, some players seem to dress without mirrors, or go to great lengths to support their country. Looks like Venus Williams is sticking with her Steve & Barry “11” line. Aussie native Lleyton Hewitt has been known to dress in Down Under color, while others, like former champ Serena Williams and Elena Dementieva went more colorful routes. And, be careful of how short you wear those dresses, ladies. The cameras are always watching. In fact, those skimpy dresses are actually banned this year!

Look for David Nalbandian to make a run, having just won a key lead-in tourney in Sydney. R-Fed also just won a lead-up tourney in Kooyong, hoping to reclaim the number one spot and surpass Pete Sampras’ grand slam record this year. Another one to watch is Juan Martin Del Potro who just took the Mens final match in Auckland, NZ.

What was that about lime green being the hot color again?

I’ll now turn the piece over to Brinke Guthrie, who has some final thoughts on the Aussie Open:

G’day! The Australian Open is still a bit of a “weak sister” when lined up against the other majors. Europeans care about the French Open and Wimbledon, and Americans care about the U.S. Open and Wimbledon. The Aussie Open is, really, for the local blokes and sheilas. (I kid.)

The first major of the year can be held in blazingly hot weather. (Ask Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.) Your sneakers can actually stick to the hard court. Players want to win it, but they admit it’s a tough trip due to the travel involved. Some would like the date moved.

The Aussie is also when some players will debut new tennis fashion and gear, though the U.S. Open is the true showcase for new tennis fashion. Top men’s player James Blake has just switched from Nike shoes/clothing to Fila. Top women’s player Jelena Jankovic is currently without a clothing, shoe, or racquet deal, since her Reebok and Prince deals have expired. (Notice the logo-less strings and lack of label on shirt.) Adidas is also returning to the frame game soon.

Other Observations from Brinke: *** No Maria due to injury. But, let’s not forget Adidas’s flagship star, who even has her own logo. *** UK star Andy Murray and Carrotop — separated at birth? *** Black shoes on court look really bad. The Man didn’t do it that way.

And finally, NFL Championship Picks: Having gone 3-5 so far with the “old-school” method, I’m hoping to finish 3 for 3 for a winning (6-5) post-season record. Gimme the birds in the NFC championship and the team with the really good defense in the AFC. What’s that? I gotta narrow it down more? OK. All Penna. Super Bowl. And if that happens, I want all Philly fans and all Pitty fans to contact me for a possible SB post for a uni-retrospective — including the Steagles. More to come on that one. G’luck to all teams left.

168 comments to New Balls, Mate

• Shaftman AKA Jay Palmer | January 18, 2009 at 7:41 am |

Nice guys. Tennis has never really been my “thing”, but I found the updates interesting.

27 days until pitchers and catchers report…thank God.

• JTH | January 18, 2009 at 8:32 am |

Do any pros wear K-Swiss? For that matter, have they ever?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Check out this color-on-color, untucked AND sleeved basketball action!

• Paul Barrett | January 18, 2009 at 9:46 am |

couldn’t snag a picture but during yesterdays CAA matchup between mens bball James Madison and George Mason;
    Michael Morrison (#22), one of the Mason players, had to switch jerseys (to #30) and go no NOB for most of the game. and that jersey was untucked for most of the first half.

any fellow mason fans get a picture? i was at the game and unable to snag a shot.

• Johnny F. | January 18, 2009 at 10:07 am |

I always liked Roddick’s Lacoste line of clothing. A tennis uniwatch post should also reference Nadal’s lack of sleeves. Gotta show those guns when you’re sliding around on clay blasting forehands by the best players in the world.

More country club news, from your local golf addict:

How about 18-year old Hawaiian, high school senior Tadd Fujikawa?? Leading the Sony Open, at Waielai Country Club in Honolulu, Hawaii. He stands tall at 5’1″!! He’s ranked 60th overall in the tournament in driving distance (1st in greens in regulation), which is no small feat for a guy his size. Neither is the fact that he’s dealt with his father’s issues… who was indicted for trafficking meth. To make it uni-related, “Tadd” (his nickname, and the name engraved on his 52-degree wedge) has a new Yonex contract, and is using their forged “Cyberstar Nanov” irons and driver. He’s also using a Diamana “Thump” hybrid shaft, which kicks quite a bit of ass. He’s got Titleist vokey wedges, and what looks like a Scotty Cameron tour proto 1.5 putter.

Links to his new clubs, pics and the weird ass shirt he wore, here:

• Johnny F. | January 18, 2009 at 10:11 am |

Evidently, I missed the whole paragraph, where you did indeed reference Raffa’s sleeves.

*pours more coffee into mug*

I should’ve known better, Phil. :)

• Leo | January 18, 2009 at 10:49 am |

I was flipping through a Chelsea fan site and found this great 1970s program. There are some great photos in there. Enjoy!

• Kek | January 18, 2009 at 11:08 am |

I had a question I wanted to ask but I didn’t get a chance to and by the time I got to the computer last night it was too late.

What company made those wristbands that Rickey has on the one shot (leading off from first: http://farm4.static....)? They were simple and a staple of players in baseball, football and basketball in the 80s (USFL even wore them, I had a pair of purple Pittsburgh Maulers ones….wish I knew what happened to them). It was just the team logo inside a triangle. I would love to get a pair of them in gold with the Pittsburgh Pirates logo (late 70s, early 80s: http://www.baseball-...).

Looks like one of my alltime favorite Buccos, Johnny Ray, is wearing the black model in this card: http://www.fsu.edu/~...

It was just the team logo inside a triangle and they were usually available in both of a given teams primary colors. I remember it being sylish for some football guys to stack them, wearing two and sometimes three sets on each forearm.

I wouldn’t mind having the ones Rickey’s wearing in that photo above. Dollars to donuts it has the swingin’ A’s logo on them. http://www.gasolinea...

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 11:25 am |

What company? SARANAC.
    Of course, made batting gloves, too.

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 11:27 am |

I still have ’em in just about every color (with SARANAC logo, which Mick wears in “Benchies”, btw, LOL)…in my bag o’bands. Paul ran photo of it, I think, after his visit here.

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 11:52 am |

Oh, man, hope it’s snowing in Pittsburgh tonight. Be like the “tuck” game.

(Hello? Anyone here? LOL)

• JTH | January 18, 2009 at 12:02 pm |

[quote comment=”310540″]Oh, man, hope it’s snowing in Pittsburgh tonight. Be like the “tuck” game.

(Hello? Anyone here? LOL)

—Ricko[/quote]
    Did today’s subject chase everyone away?

• Kek | January 18, 2009 at 12:09 pm |

Thanks, Ricko, knew you’d know.

As much as an all PA Super Bowl would be cool, i have to say I’m pulling for the Cards, especially with Fitzgerald being a Pitt guy..

• bfrench | January 18, 2009 at 12:13 pm |

That was awesome.

• Kek | January 18, 2009 at 12:19 pm |

• Jonathan | January 18, 2009 at 12:29 pm |

its championship sunday and your talking about…..tennis good God.

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 12:35 pm |

I can’t find it. Maybe he pulled it cuz of the ESPN deal?

–Ricko

• Kevin M. | January 18, 2009 at 12:37 pm |

Pens going with their baby blue jerseys against the Rangers today.

• concealed78 | January 18, 2009 at 12:59 pm |

Well I enjoyed today’s entry on tennis, sans the tacky clothes. I don’t know why companies want to put such ugly, tacky modern atrocities on the court. It just makes my stomach turn. When I play tennis, I keep it to a simple blank one-color t-shirt & shorts, with all-white tennis shoes. My preferred? Kelly green shirt with Old Athletic Gold shorts. And *puke* on lime green. That color needs to stay away.

• John Zajac | January 18, 2009 at 1:08 pm |

Hey everyone. I was watching some old school Super Bowl videos sitting on my DVR today and noticed (I believe) Ottis Anderson having the words “All American” on the back of his helmet where the neck guard would be during Super Bowl XXI. Is that some sort of manufacturer? I don’t believe he was an All Star that year with only 6 or so carries in the playoffs that season, but seeing how I was just over a year old when that game was played I wouldn’t remember. If anyone knows, it’s someone here… and since I have never seen it before I was hoping someone could enlighten me. Thanks.

• JTH | January 18, 2009 at 1:19 pm |

[quote comment=”310543″][quote comment=”310532″]Check out this color-on-color, untucked AND sleeved basketball action![/quote]

That was awesome.[/quote]
    Ooh, I almost forgot one important thing: check out the stripes.

• =bg= | January 18, 2009 at 1:20 pm |

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Check out this color-on-color, untucked AND sleeved basketball action![/quote]

They do. Here’s one we missed:

and

• Taylor | January 18, 2009 at 1:21 pm |

Mason grad here. I saw the game on tv yesterday in Georgia. I noticed no NOB for Morrison. Maybe he got blood on the jersey or lost it or something. Either way, I like the new Mason unis. I didn’t care for the ones they had the last 2 years, but this years are solid. Too bad UVA stole our design!

• Paul Lukas | January 18, 2009 at 1:26 pm |

My visit with Ricko is mentioned in the middle of this post:

And the rest of my midwest road trip is described here:

• timmy b | January 18, 2009 at 1:33 pm |

Those Steagles togs worn in 1943 were really Eagles unis of the day. Worn for all 10 games.

• steve | January 18, 2009 at 1:59 pm |

I forsee a very purple superbowl in the future.

• Mike Engle | January 18, 2009 at 2:00 pm |

Posted really late last entry, so re-posted here.
    Mr. Powers, can you Name Obama’s Jordans?
    (Pretty sure the other guy is sporting Air Force Ones.)

• Baked McBride | January 18, 2009 at 2:08 pm |

• MichaelS | January 18, 2009 at 2:21 pm |

Can you imagine going to a game when it’s -5 and sitting on the seats wearing skin tight pants? ooh, makes you wince just thinking about.

Interesting piece on the Tennis, i much prefer Wimbledon when you have to wear white. Makes it feel far more “proper” like Test Cricket.

Cricket Australia is still holding out banning pictures being taken at the grounds for the world’s main media agencys, so no pictures unfortunately.

• LI Phil | January 18, 2009 at 2:29 pm |

[quote comment=”310545″]its championship sunday and your talking about…..tennis good God.[/quote]

sorry…i guess i haven’t done enough football posts the past two months

• diz | January 18, 2009 at 2:37 pm |

[quote comment=”310559″]
    Talking of cricket i was watching Australia vs South Africa One Day International and i saw that the two brothers in the team have interesting names on the back of their jersey’s. Michael Hussey had Mike in small letters above the surname, and David had Dave in the same style. What would you call this? Shortened First Name In Smaller Lettering Above Surname On Back? SFNISLASOB?[/quote]

just FNOB would do, loads of Daves and Mikes have the formal version on their official documents

• The Hemogoblin | January 18, 2009 at 2:57 pm |

Is it just me, or does Joe Buck have the look on his face of imminent pant-crapping?

• Jordan Pope | January 18, 2009 at 3:03 pm |

[quote comment=\”310557\”]Posted really late last entry, so re-posted here.
    Mr. Powers, can you Name Obama\’s Jordans?
    (Pretty sure the other guy is sporting Air Force Ones.)[/quote]

Air Jordan Jumpman Jeter Vital

• lwiedy | January 18, 2009 at 3:05 pm |

More like “one’s gonna be a punchline sunday”, just ask Bills/Vikes fans how awesome “championship sunday” is.

Great work, Phil.

• Doug | January 18, 2009 at 3:05 pm |

Regarding the Super Bowl: The one certainty is that there’ll be a team with black helmets in it (the AFC representative).

And in a chromatic coincidence, all the teams still vying for the big game, they all include black in their colors. Arizona’s the only one without black facemasks. Whether having it only as an accent color will be a disadvantage remains to be seen.

No team with any shade of blue made it past the divisional round. (Carolina’s black wasn’t enough to overcome their blue apparently.)

Perhaps this uniform stuff plays a bigger role than we’d like to admit…

• lwiedy | January 18, 2009 at 3:07 pm |

[quote comment=”310538″][quote comment=”310537″]Phil, great posts yesterday and today. Props to Ricko and everyone else that posted all those great shots of Rickey.

What company? SARANAC.
    Of course, made batting gloves, too.

—Ricko[/quote]

Here are a pair of Saranac’s circa 1974: http://i256.photobuc...

• =bg= | January 18, 2009 at 3:08 pm |

Speaking of logos; here’s how to make your own Obama-like logo/icon/etc:

you can change the color variances how you like.

mine;

• LI Phil | January 18, 2009 at 3:15 pm |

there’s a saranac in ricko’s bag

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

good thing the refs are wearing white pants…even tho kurt still loves the gloves…what with the dome closed and all

• JTH | January 18, 2009 at 3:22 pm |

[quote comment=”310552″][quote comment=”310532″]Do any pros wear K-Swiss? For that matter, have they ever?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Check out this color-on-color, untucked AND sleeved basketball action![/quote]

They do. Here’s one we missed:

and

Nice. Glad I asked.

• Kek | January 18, 2009 at 3:30 pm |

[quote comment=”310554″][quote comment=”310544″]ricko, do you know offhand when it was that Paul visited you? I’ve been trying to find the post from his road trip to see you with no success.[/quote]

My visit with Ricko is mentioned in the middle of this post:

And the rest of my midwest road trip is described here:
    Thanks so much Paul, I was using “Ricko” and “road trip” in the search logic and that’s why I didn’t come up with anything.

• JTH | January 18, 2009 at 3:33 pm |

[quote comment=”310558″]Way off topic, but can anyone tell me why NFL teams don’t market their pants? I don’t mean the spandex kind (I paid 80.00 for a pair on ebay and my wife won’t let me out of the house in them because they are um….tight, even though they are two waist sizes higher than mine. Doesn’t it make sense though to sell sweats or shorts (non-spandex) that copy the NFL pants. Seems like a marketing gap, but WTF do I know.[/quote]
    I know this isn’t what you’re talking about, but the Bears (and other teams, I’m assuming) sell official practice shorts for a mere $50. I find it interesting that the listing mentions the Reebok logo as a selling point.

I would probably buy a pair of sweats that look like the Bears’ uni pants. *bulb lights up over head* My DIY project?

• Beardface | January 18, 2009 at 3:34 pm |

Hmmmm…

• Kek | January 18, 2009 at 3:36 pm |

Phil, if you’re looking for source material on the Steagles, of course there is a book dedicated to the topic (Last Team Standing: http://www.amazon.co...) but the book America’s Game has an excellent section on the marriage of these two team as well. http://www.amazon.co...

• LI Phil | January 18, 2009 at 3:40 pm |

[quote comment=”310573″]the book America’s Game has an excellent section on the marriage of these two team as well. http://www.amazon.co...

America’s Game is absolute best book on the history of the NFL I’ve ever come across. I couldn’t give it more of a recommendation.[/quote]

thanks douggie…that’s actually “in the queue” if you will of books i need to read…funny you mention it!

that steagles book looks pretty interesting too…perhaps if you and the eagles both hold up your ends of todays bargain, i’ll get it and use it for reference

• peter | January 18, 2009 at 3:43 pm |

…oh, and Field Goals over 55 yards from the original line of scrimmage = 4 points

That’s it for now.

• The Hemogoblin | January 18, 2009 at 4:09 pm |

[quote comment=”310575″]and any Kickoff/Punt that is fielded from the end zone and not run = 2 pts. for the kicking team, variation of the CFL rule.
    [/quote]
    Crazy mother canuckers…

• Kek | January 18, 2009 at 4:10 pm |

[quote comment=”310575″]In order to speed up NFL games, I propose that if a penalty flag is thrown, and has no effect on the resulting play, the call should be simply…”penalty non-effective”, rather than going through the motions of “Holding. #85, Defense. Penalty Declined. First down.”….Anything to speed up the game…

That’s it for now.[/quote]
    Does the NFL game really need sped up? I would think the NCAA is the game that needs speeding up.

I think a rouge-like rule wouldn’t really work in the NFL on kickoffs/punts because you have a ten-yard endzone (20 in the CFL, actually used to be 25 I believe, can anyone back me on that?) it’s too easy, especially in some climates to have a kicker boot it through the endzone.

I know you were only talking about KRs/PRs bringing it out of the endzone, but kicking/punting the ball through the endzone is the other part of that rule.

It would be neat to give a kicking one point if they kicked it through the uprights like some of the indoor leagues do (call it an “uno”) but that will never happen either, too much of a gimmick.

• MPowers1634 | January 18, 2009 at 4:17 pm |

[quote comment=”310563″][quote comment=\”310557\”]Posted really late last entry, so re-posted here.
    Mr. Powers, can you Name Obama\’s Jordans?
    (Pretty sure the other guy is sporting Air Force Ones.)[/quote]

Air Jordan Jumpman Jeter Vital

Thank you for getting my back, Jordan!

And yes, Price is wearing the Air Force 1 mid.

As per the Jordan Brand kicks…I view them as a bastardized, watered-down abomination.

I detest every shoe that they put out.

I especially loathe Jordan Brands’ new theme of throwing five or six of their older models into a blender and concocting a marketable new shoe:

1. Spizikes:

2. AJ12/AF1

3. AJ3/AF1

4. AJ20/AF1

5. AJ6/AF1

5. AJ9/AF1

6. AJ4/AF1

And now they are doing it with the Penny line:

1. 1/2 Cent Blue

2. 1.2 Cent Black

Aarrrgghhh!

• peter | January 18, 2009 at 4:17 pm |

“I’ve said it before, one of my favorite things in the CFL game is that the field goal is a live kick that you can return many times. A lot of this has to do with the goal posts on the goal line (imagine that) and a 20-yard endzone but that’s a really exciting play. The rare times it happns in the NFL can attest to that. ”

Yes, I agree, but we all have “adjustments” we would like seen done…these were just mine….just a pet peeve…
    And a sub-rule would be, if a ball is kicked through the end zone, it would be zero points and a touchback….

a final thing: spiking the ball to stop the clock = intentional grounding…I hate that this is TRUE INT. Grounding and it isn’t called a penalty

I hate college football, so I could care less…but it does hit the 4 hour mark WAY too often…doesn’t alot of it have to do with the clock stops after a first down in the last 2 minutes or something rule?

• peter | January 18, 2009 at 4:25 pm |

also: Live field goal:

I remember that during a Jets-Colts game during the Parcells era, a Jet ran it back, it was one of the craziest things I saw (and made me very happy…)

It’s killing me seeing the cards winning knowing the Jets put 56 up on them….(GO AWAY FAVRE!!)

that’s it//

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 4:28 pm |

That’s it for now.[/quote]

Heard an interesting debate about the Long Field Thing a while back. Suggestion was that because the game is about field position, about advancing into other team’s territory, longer field goals should could count LESS not more, maybe only 2 points.

Sounded kinda dumb until you think about the effect on the game. A team needing 3 to win or tie would have to advance further than whatever the two-point distance was.

On the up side, if longer ones counted more, there would be the interesting decision: Do I set my kicker 10 or 12 yards deep (or more) to get a 4-pointer, which makes the long snap really intriguing…what with the distance potentially differing based on the situation. Or should I direct snap to RB who’d lateral to holder even further back?) Back to the down side, wouldn’t it be fun to watch a QB take a sack in order to lose enough yards for a 4-point attempt.

Personally, if they WERE gonna change it, I guess I’d vote the longer ones counting less. Seems dopey to reward a team for doing a lousy job of advancing the ball.

• peter | January 18, 2009 at 4:30 pm |

that’s a great point Ricko…I never heard that one, I would actually vote YES on that!

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 4:36 pm |

A “spike” by a passer isn’t Intentional Grounding. Intentional Grounding is throwing the ball away to avoid a loss of yardage. If a team wants to waste a down to stop the clock that certainly should be their option.

• peter | January 18, 2009 at 4:40 pm |

• S. Bennett | January 18, 2009 at 4:42 pm |

I know I’m posting late, but I’m still going alphabetical on nicknames.

Cards over Eagles (looks good at this time!)
    Ravens over Steelers.

Cards win it all.

SB

• =bg= | January 18, 2009 at 4:43 pm |

• Teebz | January 18, 2009 at 4:45 pm |

That’s it for now.[/quote]

A touchback is worth one point in the CFL, thereby making the fielding team run the ball out in order not to sacrifice a point unless they have to. Ironically, there are a number of touchdowns scored when running it out of the endzone in the CFL because the kicking teams are far less athletic than the kickoff teams. There aren’t a lot of centers and tackles playing on kickoff teams in the CFL.

The safety, which is used a lot in the CFL by kicking teams pinned on their own goal line, is also used to give better field position for defences as it results in a kickoff rather than a punt to midfield or less.

Also, missed field goals or punts out of the endzone are worth one point as well – once again, promoting the “go for it” idea of offence in the CFL.

And the CFL uses the NCAA overtime method which has, in my opinion, made the game infinitely better than sudden-death.

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 4:49 pm |

[quote comment=”310584″]I know that, but there is a ten second run-off (under 2 minutes) if a defensive team jumps off-sides to stop the clock under 2 minutes in order to preserve time…spiking the ball to preserve time is just as equal an offense…it should be loss of down, ten second run off, & clock continues to run…

Again, this is just a pet peeve of mine, and just a few details I would like to see improve…but know that most of them would never be…[/quote]

Part of the reason the “spike” came into being was cuz the passer would just wind up and heave the ball out of bounds, and I guess they figured an incomplete pass was an incomplete pass. As I recall, they studied film and throwing to the short side only took one second off the clock anyway, so it was a horse apiece.

• peter | January 18, 2009 at 4:50 pm |

That’s why I used the word “variation”…

the NCAA OT system is just as flawed as the BCS.

• mtjaws | January 18, 2009 at 4:51 pm |

I’m hoping the Ravens can win as well as the Cardinals are. I’d love to see two new teams in the SB.

Mets fan Kevin James had a blue/orange/white “Mall Cop” baseball jersey on recently.

• Kevin M. | January 18, 2009 at 4:51 pm |

Rackers has on baggy pants again..like they are three sizes too big.

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 4:53 pm |

• Teebz | January 18, 2009 at 4:54 pm |

—Ricko[/quote]

• Teebz | January 18, 2009 at 4:56 pm |

[quote comment=”310589″]That’s why I used the word “variation”…

the NCAA OT system is just as flawed as the BCS.

I think the College OT system just drags on and keeps the games hitting the 5 hour mark more likely.[/quote]

Blame the system. Play clocks in Canada are shorter, forcing more offence as well. You can’t run the clock out with eight minutes remaining in the CFL.

Oh, and those three downs? Much better for promoting offence. Think about it: if you have one chance to go 10 yards, you’d never run a play for less than 10 yards, right?

• Teebz | January 18, 2009 at 5:00 pm |

[quote comment=”310594″][quote comment=”310589″]That’s why I used the word “variation”…

the NCAA OT system is just as flawed as the BCS.

Sudden death prevents debecales like the Eagles -Bengals tie from happening more than the 16 times it has happened since it started.[/quote]

But ok with the debacles of referees not hearing the call that the captain makes? If your team loses that game, why don’t you get a chance to win as well?

Sudden death in football would be better if, and ONLY if, kicking was outlawed in OT.

• Teebz | January 18, 2009 at 5:01 pm |

[quote comment=”310595″]That’s why I used the word “variation”…

the NCAA OT system is just as flawed as the BCS.

But you’re ok with the debacles of referees not hearing the call that the captain makes? If your team loses that game, why don’t you get a chance to win as well?

Apparently, I had one too many quote commands in there. Sorry!

• peter | January 18, 2009 at 5:02 pm |

the NCAA OT system is just as flawed as the BCS.

The CFL essentially has two plays to obtain 10 yards, not three. Makes the game much faster because the CFL goes vertical a lot more.[/quote]

Absolutely, but you also have much larger fields…I agree with keeping the clock moving, but I like 4 downs…not a big fan of so much passing.

I would like to see the game stick closer with its rugby roots.

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 5:06 pm |

[quote comment=”310593″][quote comment=”310592″]CFL ever still call a Single a “Rouge”? That’s what it used to be; French for “red,” which was the color of the flag the official threw when ball wasn’t carried out of the end zone.

—Ricko[/quote]

Not that I’m aware of. It’s just a single point now, I believe. There’s no flag thrown.[/quote]

Ah, too bad. Loved watching CFL on tube back in 60’s when it still was a “Rouge.” So…Canadian.

• peter | January 18, 2009 at 5:06 pm |

Phil,

• Teebz | January 18, 2009 at 5:09 pm |

[quote comment=”310597″]
    Will the NFL venture into Canada when they move the Bills to Canada last longer than the CFL US experiment (Las Vegas Posse anyone?), …at least the Bills already look like a Canadian team, they just have to remember they play under American rules…but then again, the Bills always give up after 2 downs anyway…[/quote]

Personally, keep the NFL out of Canada.

1) It promotes cross-border tourism for the USA, something your economy relies on heavily in places like Buffalo. As much as Toronto would love to have the tourism their way, I don’t think people from Buffalo will appreciate driving across the border to watch their former team play.

2) We have a league that doesn’t need competition right now. The CFL is growing in Montreal and Toronto again, and we need those markets to stay strong.

3) Outside of southern Ontario, you won’t have many people in Canada who care about the Toronto Bills.

4) The CFL experiment was successful on a number of fronts except two: rapid expansion dilutes the talent pool, and cities were far too spread out. Flying from Baltimore to Sacramento or BC to Shreveport is tough for a football league that was bleeding red ink at that time.

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 5:12 pm |

[quote comment=”310599″]Phil,

After your WFL article on the sun, have you thought about other defunct leagues/teams? Like the US CFL teams, (i.e. The Baltimore CFL’ers is always an interesting ad campaign)…[/quote]

Or maybe all the pro football teams Birmingham has had. Two in WFL, USFL, CFL, WLAF…

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 5:13 pm |

Ooops, forgot XFL in Birmingham, too.
    (Easy to forget XFL).

• Tony In Erie (at work) | January 18, 2009 at 5:14 pm |

Same reason the NHL doesn’t market their pants.

“Honey, do these hockey shorts make my ass look big?”

• peter | January 18, 2009 at 5:15 pm |

• LI Phil | January 18, 2009 at 5:15 pm |

[quote comment=”310599″]Phil,

always thinking about it…i’d LOVE LOVE LOVE to do something on the WLAF’s orlando thunder (and their wonderfully awful unis)…and i think the rick & i will be doing something significant on the USFL (and possibly more WFL) in the future

• Teebz | January 18, 2009 at 5:17 pm |

I love watching CFL games, I really do…It’s so different, yet I love the NFL more and would like to kick it up a little[/quote]

• LI Phil | January 18, 2009 at 5:18 pm |

[quote]“Honey, do these hockey shorts make my ass look big?”[/quote]

COTD nominee

/also, quite possibly what teebz said this morning

• peter | January 18, 2009 at 5:18 pm |

Phil,

do you have a UNI email if we find crap…I mean stuff on the Thunder?

• peter | January 18, 2009 at 5:19 pm |

Woody woodpecker went to thunder games?

• LI Phil | January 18, 2009 at 5:20 pm |

phecken(at)yahoo(dot)com

• Teebz | January 18, 2009 at 5:21 pm |

[quote comment=”310607″][quote]“Honey, do these hockey shorts make my ass look big?”[/quote]

COTD nominee

/also, quite possibly what teebz said this morning[/quote]

Thankfully, it’s a balmy -7C here today. Or, 19.4F. No need for three layers of clothing today. I’m in shorts and a T-shirt right now. LOL

Huge difference from the -59F on Wednesday. :o)

• Tony In Erie (at work) | January 18, 2009 at 5:23 pm |

COTD nominee

/also, quite possibly what teebz said this morning[/quote]

“Babe, not only do they, in fact, make your ass look huge, but it also makes your ass smell like dirty gym clothes.”

• =bg= | January 18, 2009 at 5:29 pm |

[quote comment=”310586″]Warner and Fitzy are just out of their minds today. Get the big fork out for the Iggles.[/quote]

Well, then again, maybe not. 24-20 AZ.

• Tony In Erie (at work) | January 18, 2009 at 5:30 pm |

[quote comment=”310606″][quote comment=”310604″]I agree, again, with keeping the NFL ooot of Canada…and, are far as succesful? I feel that the return of the Montreal team was the only good thing to come out of it…seriously, do you enjoy that “stain” of Baltimore on your Grey Cup? It’s like seeing the 04-05 Season on the Stanley Cup cup missing…

I don’t consider it a stain at all. That’s part of history. It’s like having the Kenora Thistles on the Stanley Cup – they earned it, they get the distinction.[/quote]

• =bg= | January 18, 2009 at 5:30 pm |

OOPS.
    24-19.

• peter | January 18, 2009 at 5:30 pm |

24-19 XP’s arent gauranteed….just ask the Saints

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 5:30 pm |

This is R.C. Owens…

This, however, I’m pretty sure is not…

• peter | January 18, 2009 at 5:31 pm |

this always makes me laugh

• Teebz | January 18, 2009 at 5:35 pm |

[quote comment=”310614″]
    I’m sure somewhere in 1917, someone in Montreal was cursing the Seattle Metropolitans “stain”[/quote]

• Tony In Erie (at work) | January 18, 2009 at 5:39 pm |

[quote comment=”310619″][quote comment=”310614″]

Or the 1919 Spanish “strain” since influenza canceled the Stanley Cup with Montreal and Seattle tied at 2-2-1. ;o)[/quote]

Don’t tell Minaya about that strain or he’ll start using that excuse on his Metropolitans :)

• Stuby | January 18, 2009 at 5:41 pm |

Doesn’t ‘The Book’ say to go for 2 there?

• LI Phil | January 18, 2009 at 5:43 pm |

[quote comment=”310621″][quote comment=”310616″]24-19 XP’s arent gauranteed….just ask the Saints[/quote]
    Doesn’t ‘The Book’ say to go for 2 there?[/quote]

andy can’t reid

• Tony In Erie (at work) | January 18, 2009 at 5:48 pm |

This is R.C. Owens…

This, however, I’m pretty sure is not…

—Ricko[/quote]

Holy crap thats awesome! Think someone lost their job for that? … probably not.

• peter | January 18, 2009 at 6:14 pm |

I hate the cliche SHOCK THE WORLD….

seriously…can Canadian teams do that? How many people in Italy know the Arizona Cardinals exist? How about Poland? If they have a soccer team do well, is it SHOCKING THE WORLD?

Worst Superbowl Ever…I’m calling it…

• S. Bennett | January 18, 2009 at 6:16 pm |

[quote comment=”310623″][quote comment=”310617″]Here’s a great example of how low pro football was on the rung in the late 50s (as measured by the care taken on sports cards and the general recognition level of players).

This is R.C. Owens…

This, however, I’m pretty sure is not…

—Ricko[/quote]

Holy crap thats awesome! Think someone lost their job for that? … probably not.[/quote]

Maybe it wasn’t a mistake. Perhaps a strange, rare disorder?

SB

• Tony In Erie (at work) | January 18, 2009 at 6:19 pm |

[quote comment=”310624″]I hate the cliche SHOCK THE WORLD….

Worst Superbowl Ever…I’m calling it…[/quote]

• peter | January 18, 2009 at 6:22 pm |

Worst Superbowl Ever…I’m calling it…[/quote]

Good sign for the Steelers, since the NFL knows they’d lose a ton of money on a Cardinals-Ravens Super Bowl.[/quote]

Oh, they won’t “lose” money….but they woouldn’t make the $$$ like they would if it had been Philly vs Pitt or Balt.

Outside of Arizona, who really gives a rats ass about them?

All I know, is that the Jets put 56 up on them, and if the BCS was in place AZ would not be here…furthering the argument thatNCAA needs a playoff…

ahh…Wait’ll next year…

• Terri | January 18, 2009 at 6:25 pm |

Oh thank god. I don’t I could’ve taken it if the iggles got to the super bowl, esp. if they won. Philly sports fans would be unbearable. And now I can still hold the zero sb wins over their heads.

• John Zajac | January 18, 2009 at 6:29 pm |

• Stuby on the Blackberry | January 18, 2009 at 6:34 pm |

• Tony In Erie (at work) | January 18, 2009 at 6:36 pm |

I’m pretty sure Paul killed that theory off in a ticker about a week ago.

• Kek | January 18, 2009 at 6:42 pm |

I know I’m #1 logo creep denier but this is blasphemy:

• John Zajac | January 18, 2009 at 6:43 pm |

[quote comment=”310631″][quote comment=”310629″]Those NFC championship shirts and hats look like possible evidence that Reebok will be switching to the wordmark over the logo in hockey, as well as other sports.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure Paul killed that theory off in a ticker about a week ago.[/quote]

For next year I thought, but with it already in Europe and now in the NFL, who knows…

• =bg= | January 18, 2009 at 6:50 pm |

• Johnny O | January 18, 2009 at 6:52 pm |

I don’t get this Championship shirt…

They throw in a Cardinals helmet with the Super Bowl logo, and still have the SB logo on the left side? Who designed this shirt?

Oh yeah… and get your Trophy Towel on sale now!

• Kek | January 18, 2009 at 6:52 pm |

[quote comment=”310634″]CBS said Rolisberger was voted a captain this year and it meant a lot to him. No C on the jersey?

Also saw a woman in a team coat on the Ravens sideline. Can’t say I have ever seen that before.[/quote]
    Steelers haven’t donned the “C” since inception. Similar to some other teams that have opted not to wear it.

• John Zajac | January 18, 2009 at 6:52 pm |

[quote comment=”310572″]Hmmmm…

Just saw the LeBron/Browns commercial and he was wearing Super Bowl Champion gear… Anyone get a screen grab of that? Perhaps it was a sneak peek at this year’s gear?[/quote]

Here are those shirts… nothing but cheap generic stuff.

• S. Bennett | January 18, 2009 at 6:52 pm |

[quote comment=”310624″]I hate the cliche SHOCK THE WORLD….

Worst Superbowl Ever…I’m calling it…[/quote]

How can it “shock the world” when:

a 9-7 team beats a 9-6-1 team?
    a division champ beats a wildcard?
    a home team wins in the playoffs?

Sheesh.

NFL only needs to adopt one CFL rule to become an instantly better game: Ditch the fair catch. In the CFL the kickoff receiver is entitled to a 5 yard bubble until he catches the ball. If someone enters the 5 yard zone before he touches the ball, a “no yards” penalty is given and yards are tacked on to the return.

Force them to play the game. Magic.

SB

• Tony In Erie (at work) | January 18, 2009 at 7:05 pm |

[quote comment=”310627″][quote comment=”310626″][quote comment=”310624″]I hate the cliche SHOCK THE WORLD….

Worst Superbowl Ever…I’m calling it…[/quote]

Outside of Arizona, who really gives a rats ass about them?

ahh…Wait’ll next year…[/quote]

This guy probably cares a LITTLE bit.

• Robb | January 18, 2009 at 7:25 pm |

Townsend (26) for the Steelers was wearing sweatpants over his game pants after second Pitt field goal. Approximately 6:11 in 1st quarter

• Mr. Daniel | January 18, 2009 at 7:49 pm |

Look at this ebay seller, he makes a lot of money for it being 2 inch helmets. Custom!

• VPrime | January 18, 2009 at 8:01 pm |

• MPowers1634 | January 18, 2009 at 8:10 pm |

I just downlaoded those sports fonts and the ones I want DONT work:

Angels
    Pirates
    Blue Jays throwback

WHAT GIVES?

• Tony Miller | January 18, 2009 at 8:24 pm |

Correct. 1996 (Indianapolis/Pittsburgh) is the other.

• LI Phil | January 18, 2009 at 8:30 pm |

those lavender ravens puffy coats are sweet

• Mike Engle | January 18, 2009 at 8:33 pm |

Correct. 1996 (Indianapolis/Pittsburgh) is the other.[/quote]

• Stuby | January 18, 2009 at 8:40 pm |

[quote comment=”310635″]I don’t get this Championship shirt…

Oh yeah… and get your Trophy Towel on sale now!

Isn’t “NFC Conference” a little redundant?

• Jordan Pope | January 18, 2009 at 8:44 pm |

who thinks limas sweed’s block will be added to this?

• =bg= | January 18, 2009 at 8:53 pm |

Made a Quizno’s run @ halftime and subjected myself for the first (& last) time to Dennis Green.

PS nice gratuitous wide-angle leg shot of Katie Couric on halftime on CBS.

• LI Phil | January 18, 2009 at 8:55 pm |

PS nice gratuitous wide-angle leg shot of Katie Couric on halftime on CBS.[/quote]

dennis is horrid…btw, brinke, you should be watching ana

• =bg= | January 18, 2009 at 9:12 pm |

[quote comment=”310650″][quote comment=”310649″][quote comment=”310630″]Great, we get Dennis Green doing the color commentary on radio for Steelers-Ravens. Luckily, I’ll be able to get to a TV by the second half. Wait, that means Phil Simms? I may stick with the radio.[/quote]

dennis is horrid…btw, brinke, you should be watching ana[/quote]

Way ahead of you. Got ESPN2 on the PC Windows Media Center, full-screen, with football on the tube.

• pr9000 | January 18, 2009 at 9:22 pm |

• pr9000 | January 18, 2009 at 9:22 pm |

GRRR … i meant “anyone”

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 9:27 pm |

[quote comment=”310652″]maybe it’s just my HD … but it looks like the steelers’ pant strings are orange? is anone else seeing that?[/quote]

Every pair of light gold/athletic gold laces I’ve ever seen were very close to Tennessee orange. And I’ve seen laces that definitel were yellow. I guess they can’t quite get the right shade in between for some reason.

• Paul Lukas | January 18, 2009 at 9:28 pm |

• JTH | January 18, 2009 at 9:51 pm |

[quote comment=”310655″]Did (or can) anyone get a screen grab of Ravens backup tight end Edgar Jones playing DE late in the second quarter? I think it was the last play of the half. So weird to see No. 84 on the defensive line! Brought back memories of Ted Hendricks, Carl Eller, and the like.[/quote]
    …and Doug Atkins, Ed O’Bradovich, etc.

Here he is chasing after Willie Parker. That was with about 4 minutes left in the third quarter. (Sorry, wasn’t watching on the HD set.)

• Kevin M. | January 18, 2009 at 10:04 pm |

Oh yeah… and get your Trophy Towel on sale now!

Isn’t “NFC Conference” a little redundant?[/quote]

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 10:18 pm |

[quote comment=”310657″][quote comment=”310647″][quote comment=”310635″]I don’t get this Championship shirt…

Oh yeah… and get your Trophy Towel on sale now!

Isn’t “NFC Conference” a little redundant?[/quote]

Yep just like PIN number, ATM machine, NIC card, and I’ve even hear GUI interface at work. We always talk about this and make fun of that.[/quote]

Kinda goes either way, I guess. Tampa Bay Rays were “AL Champions,” right? Don’t recall many people saying, “AL League Champions.”

Vernacular certainly does differ from sport to sport, though, that’s for sure.

But I did think (when I saw that shirt), “Wouldn’t ‘NFC Champions’ have been enough?”

Well, will be a nice color matchup in Super Bowl, anyway.

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 10:19 pm |

And a couple helmets that have been around a lonnnnnnnnnnng time.

• Kek | January 18, 2009 at 10:21 pm |

Oh my God….can I get some love from my fellow burgh uni watchers!!!!!!

• LI Phil | January 18, 2009 at 10:23 pm |

no…but i’ll throw you some love douggie!

congrats & g’luck!

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 10:26 pm |

Troy Pammalammauallolamuallopupuammalammalu Strikes Again!

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 10:30 pm |

Wanna trade Tomlin for Childress, there KEK?

• Joe D | January 18, 2009 at 10:30 pm |

Art Rooney III AFC Championship hat had the Steeler logo upside down.

• scott | January 18, 2009 at 10:32 pm |

Were the new Buffalo Bisons uniforms already discussed?:

Can’t say I like the “NY” on the front of the road uniform. That position should be reserved for a number, if anything, not a graphic.

• MPowers1634 | January 18, 2009 at 10:33 pm |

Congrates to you burghers…Head on over to Primanti Bros. and have a Steel? City or two

• mtjaws | January 18, 2009 at 10:33 pm |

Go Cardinals!

• Belgium Endive | January 18, 2009 at 10:34 pm |

Arizona / Pittsburgh Superbowl – of the four possible outcomes – I actually think from a pure uni esthetics standpoint – that was the optimal match up. Arizona’s home unis are growing on me.

• Kek | January 18, 2009 at 10:35 pm |

[quote comment=”310663″]Wanna trade Tomlin for Childress, there KEK?[/quote]

Ha! No way Ricko. Who would have thunk it. I know most folks in the burgh were like “who the hell is Mike Tomlin?”

I’m sorry if I’m too excited. A few Labatt blues too many, plus the fact that I resigned myself that SBXXX and SBXL would be my only chances to see my team in the big game.

• LI Phil | January 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm |

god help us if the cards go monochrome

/they wouldn’t, would they?

• scott | January 18, 2009 at 10:37 pm |

[quote comment=”310646″][quote comment=”310644″][quote comment=”310642″]Useless trivia: by my count this only the second AFC Championship game to not have at least one old AFL team.[/quote]
    Correct. 1996 (Indianapolis/Pittsburgh) is the other.[/quote]
    And unlike the 1996 edition, this AFC championship game features a non-AFL team that is non-old NFL at the same time. (The nitpick department reminds you that the Ravens are an expansion team that started with Cleveland Browns players in purple jerseys.)[/quote]

In my book, the Ravens are the old Browns. If the NFL doesn’t count that, fine. But based on how the Steelers beat up the Browns this day, I think we all know who the real expansion team is.

• Jordan Pope | January 18, 2009 at 10:38 pm |

the next two weeks are gunna take forever

• scott | January 18, 2009 at 10:38 pm |

[quote comment=”310670″]god help us if the cards go monochrome

/they wouldn’t, would they?[/quote]

No, they wouldn’t do the blood clot set.

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 10:42 pm |

/they wouldn’t, would they?[/quote]

No, they wouldn’t do the blood clot set.[/quote]

Cardinals run has been accomplished without those god-awful red pants. Hopefully they will stay wherever they have been the past six weeks or so.
    Or someone will burn them.

• Kek | January 18, 2009 at 10:45 pm |

the next two weeks are gunna take forever[/quote]
    spoken like a hater

• Glenn | January 18, 2009 at 10:47 pm |

upside down Steelers logo here

pic

• Belgium Endive | January 18, 2009 at 10:47 pm |

[quote comment=”310674″][quote comment=”310673″][quote comment=”310670″]god help us if the cards go monochrome

/they wouldn’t, would they?[/quote]

No, they wouldn’t do the blood clot set.[/quote]

Or someone will burn them.[/quote]

I agree – besides the all red look – not only does it look like a blood clot – but it might even be accused of looking a bit satanic (Ok its a stretch, but just the mere thought – I would think would not sit well with ……Mr Warner :).

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 10:47 pm |

One good thing: Should be a lot of NFL history talked about in the next couple weeks.

• mmwatkin | January 18, 2009 at 10:50 pm |

Could this be the lamest Super Bowl in recent memory?

It definitely gives Steelers-Seahawks a run for it’s money.

• Craig | January 18, 2009 at 10:53 pm |

Steelers 3 Baltimore 0…nuff said

• Belgium Endive | January 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |

[quote comment=”310678″]Wow, was just thinking…when I discovered pro football the Cardinals and Steelers were the NFL’s bottom-dwellers, low-budget, losing organizations…and they played in Comiskey Park and Forbes Field.

—Ricko[/quote]

It was also the match up for Jim Bakken’s 6 field goals – which might seem and is totally irrelevant – but as a kid one of my favourite books was the NFL’s Greatest Moments (a Grade 4 book report) – and one of the chapters I remember most was on Bakken’s feat.

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 11:01 pm |

—Ricko[/quote]

And these were the QBs, and the unis…

• Kek | January 18, 2009 at 11:02 pm |

[quote comment=”310679″]Could this be the lamest Super Bowl in recent memory?

It definitely gives Steelers-Seahawks a run for it’s money.[/quote]

• Paul Lukas | January 18, 2009 at 11:03 pm |

Someone just emailed me this:

I was watching the steelers/ravens game and noticed something. For a brief second after Troy Polamalu returned the interception for a touchdown they scanned the crowd for a pan shot. Right after a man wearing a hat that looked like this:

Except with a steelers logo, the camera panned left and I saw something that I must have been seeing things. There was a white jersey with a big numer 7 in the center in the steelers numerical font, but the shoulders were red like the most recent falcons white jersey. If anyone has a screenshot from a dvr copy of the game you will most assuredly see what I mean.

Anyone..?

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 11:05 pm |

Marchibroda was Steelers’ starter in ’56. Played in 7 games for Cardinals in ’57; McHan played in all 12.

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 11:10 pm |

It definitely gives Steelers-Seahawks a run for it’s money.[/quote]
    I love this shit. Typical big market bias. what, if a team from New York, Chicago, or Dallas isn’t in the big game it doesn’t matter Get over yourself[/quote]

Somewhat related point. Anyone who bitches about the matchup cannot also support an NCAA football playoff. A playoff could–in fact, quite often does–yield matchups people would call “stinky”. Therefore, if you want the teams you think “deserve” to be there, then screw a playoff, pick the two favorites and play one game. Hey, that’s what they do NOW.

• Patrick in MI | January 18, 2009 at 11:11 pm |

dennis is horrid…btw, brinke, you should be watching ana[/quote]

Can someone PLEASE buy Dennis Green some throat lozenges? Luden’s, Fisherman’s Friend…something! I had to listen to part of the game on radio on my way home from my girlfriend’s home, drove me absolutely nuts.

Phil, looks like a lot of work went into your post today but hardly anyone paid attention. Perhaps it’s because most people wouldn’t think of tennis players as wearing uniforms, per se. Same goes for golf or any other “individual” sports. It’s more or less an outfit they are wearing. Good post though, keep it up. I’m loving the weekends here!

• Skycat | January 18, 2009 at 11:11 pm |

—Ricko[/quote]
    I guess it’s time for a Card-Pitt reunion.

• Kek | January 18, 2009 at 11:16 pm |

[quote comment=”310686″][quote comment=”310683″][quote comment=”310679″]Could this be the lamest Super Bowl in recent memory?

It definitely gives Steelers-Seahawks a run for it’s money.[/quote]

—Ricko[/quote]
    Great point Ricko, it’s so funny to me. the same folks that bitch about the BCS ad there not beig a “true playoff”, citing teams like Boise State and Utah are the same folks discounting a team like Arizona making it to the Super Bowl after they freakin’ earned their way to the big game throught playoffs.

To those of you saying “lamest super bowl ever”, why even play NFL playoffs? Let’s just play the super bowl between the two teams with the best regular season records.

• LI Phil | January 18, 2009 at 11:30 pm |

giants vs. titans? i’ll take that

but i agree, it’s all about getting hot when it matters, and obviously the cards caught fire at the right time…same thing with the g-men last year, and the stillers 3 years ago…

• BigBootyLover58 | January 18, 2009 at 11:34 pm |

[quote comment=”310684″]Someone just emailed me this:

Anyone..?[/quote]
    It’s one of those Super Bowl jerseys from a couple of years ago. The fronts / backs are just like the teams, but the sleeves are red or blue and have the SB logo on them. They’ve been making these for a few years now. The XL ones were done in the Falcons template IIRC.

• Ricko | January 18, 2009 at 11:36 pm |

[quote comment=”310690″][quote]Let’s just play the super bowl between the two teams with the best regular season records[/quote]

giants vs. titans? i’ll take that

btw…if the cards somehow manage to win, it’ll be like the red sox or white sox winning the WS after 80+ year droughts…only problem is the last time the cards won, that was 2 cities ago[/quote]

I don’t have the patience to do it, but would be interesting to list the Super Bowl matchups of the past decade or so and compare them to who’d have played had the teams with best record in each conference simply advanced to the Super Bowl.

• =bg= | January 19, 2009 at 12:25 am |

So whats the color matchup? Who’s wearing white and dark?

And why doesn’t Rothlisberger have a captain C?

• Glenn | January 19, 2009 at 12:28 am |

And why doesn’t Rothlisberger have a captain C?[/quote]
    The Steelers have never done the captaincy patch

• Mike Engle | January 19, 2009 at 12:33 am |

[quote comment=”310694″][quote comment=”310693″]So whats the color matchup? Who’s wearing white and dark?

And why doesn’t Rothlisberger have a captain C?[/quote]
    The Steelers have never done the captaincy patch[/quote]
    Last year, the AFC Pats wore blue and the NFC Giants wore white. Assuming no anomalies, flip it around, and you should get the AFC Steelers in white, and the NFC Cards in team-color red. Though they could definitely pull off the color-on-color together if they wanted to do so.

• Greg B. | January 19, 2009 at 12:52 am |

At the Aussie Open, Novak Djokovic and Andrea Stoppini just traded shirts after their match ended, like soccer players. Both announcers said they’d never seen that before at a tennis match.

• Jordan Pope | January 19, 2009 at 1:05 am |

[quote comment=”310675″][quote comment=”310672″][quote comment=”310660″]Oh my God….can I get some love from my fellow burgh uni watchers!!!!!![/quote]

the next two weeks are gunna take forever[/quote]
    spoken like a hater[/quote]

far from it

i’m a steelers fan but i don’t want to wait two weeks

• Mark | January 19, 2009 at 4:09 am |

Buffalo Bisons – three jersey snapshot shown here: http://www.vegas4boc...

• VPrime | January 19, 2009 at 7:02 am |

NFC is the home team this year, so Arizona has the option for red or white.