Monday Morning Uni Watch

Picture 1.png

Maybe it’s because I’m a Niners fan, maybe it’s because the San Francisco Chronicle posted a really big photo gallery, or maybe it was just a coincidence, but I spotted an unusually large number of uni-notable details in yesterday’s 49ers/Redskins game. To wit:

• Let’s start with the obvious things we always say whenever the Niners wear their throwbacks: The pants piping is too wide (just like it was back in the day), and the Reebok logo looks particularly egregious when it interrupts the sleeve stripes.

• The Niners’ throwback socks have three white stripes. So how did Joe Nedney end up with five stripes? Must’ve worn two pairs, but he did an unusually good job of getting the stripes lined up on both legs.

• Speaking of sock stripeage, the whole biker shorts thing looks particularly stupid when you’re wearing striped hose.

• Here’s something I hadn’t seen before: Vernon Davis wore red spats (and Under Armour cleats for those of you who care about that kind of thing).

• And speaking of red, the coach’s challenge flag doesn’t look quite as stupid when the coach’s team colors include red.

• Shaun Hill threw his wristbands into the crowd after the game. Anyone know if his does this on a regular basis, or was this a new thing?

• As promised, SanFran wore old-school moustaches, just like the Niners of old. Wait — what?

• And it looks like that big wooden cross will be around for a while.

Raffle Reminder: I announced the 32 winners of the holiday raffle back on Thursday. If you haven’t checked already done so, please check to see if you’re among the winners; if your name is on the list, follow the instrux to claim your prize. Thanks again to everyone for all your contributions over the past year — it’s my pleasure to give back a little something.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Haven’t run a Ticker since last Wednesday, so we’ve got lots of stuff to catch up on. I’ll skip the “As you’ve probably seen by now” proviso on all these items, but you’ve probably seen lots of them by now. … Notre Dame wore NOBs for their bowl game on Xmas Eve. According to a press release, this move “renew[ed] a tradition from the Ara Parseghian years, when Irish teams did not have names on the backs of their jerseys during the regular season but added them for bowl games.” … That game also featured one of history’s weirdest invocations of the term “golden shower.” There’s a nice screen-grab sequence of the helmet explosion here (with thanks to Jonee Eisen). … Lots of uni-notable NBA developments on Xmas Day: (1) All 10 teams playing that day wore a snowflake patch (although it was hard to see on white jerseys). (2) The Blazers and Mavs wore holiday colors (Portland was the home team). (3) The league’s normal footwear-color rules were suspended for the day, resulting in lots of special designs and red shoelaces (at least one pair of which was apparently worn untied). Or to put it another way, it was a big mish-mash. … Steve Johnston got a great Xmas gift: “My grandfather, who played football at Riverside-Brookfield High School in Illinois, passed away this past March. My parents came across some items from his playing days and got them framed for me.” … The Yomiuri Giants have unveiled a 75th-anniversary logo (with thanks to Jeremy Brahm). … Canada’s world junior hockey team is wearing memorial decals in honor of Luc Bourdon, who died earlier this year (with thanks to Nick Hanson). … Marcus Perkal was at the Nets/Bobcats game last Friday and noted that the Bobcats’ 5th-anniversary patch was not being worn by Gerald Wallace and Raymond Felton. … Hey, if you’re gonna steal, why not steal from the pros? That’s Central Bucks East High School in Pennsylvania (with thanks to Samantha Coren). … History’s coolest basketball warmup garb on display here (big thanks to Zac Neubauer). … Roman numeral on back. That’s Ralph Sampson III, who plays for Minnesota (with thanks to John Thompson). … Interesting article about sales figures of NHL third jerseys here (with thanks to K.C. Kless). … I didn’t watch the Real Sports year-end show. Good thing, too, cuz Bryant Gumbal wore a sportscoat that would’ve made Lindsey Nelson blush (with thanks to Brett Crane). … Check this out: Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig in Notre Dame and USC football togs, respectively. Details here (with thanks to Frank Hanney). … Last Tuesday I mentioned that this program cover featured a stylized version of the NFL logo that I’d never seen before. Now Fleer Sticker Project prexy JC Helf has devoted an entire blog entry to this logo variation. Check it out here. … Tony Caliguiri notes that Josh Gorges of the Canadiens has been wearing heavy-duty skate protectors lately. … Greg Riffenburgh notes that Dan Marino is wearing two different shoes in this shot. “That’s a standard Nike Air Zoom Barracuda Stove on his left foot, but the right shoe is a VERY high-top version of a much older Nike football cleat (and colored very differently).” Greg also notes that the Jets used to have very large TV numbers — “and in the Red Sox font, no less.” … FNOB alert: Amdy Faye of Stoke City in the Premier League (big thanks to Shane Bua). … I have no idea what this, but it looks really cool. … The Capitals retired Mike Gartner’s number last night. Video of the ceremony is available here. … Reprinted from last night’s comments: The American world junior hockey team has a player named James vanRiemsdyk — an unusual name, which makes for an unusual NOB. … Al Haris may have set a new standard yesterday for how not to wear football pants and socks. … All the following is from Phil: A high school hoops game in Detroit on Saturday night was delayed when both teams showed up in white uniforms; the only thing better than winning eleventeen gold medals is being presented with one of the NBA’s ugliest jerseys; believe it or not, Udonis Haslem’s jersey was white before he suffered this cut; it’s not often you can see color-on-color, a clear facemask, and RNOB (roman numeral on back) all in one photo; something really, really (like, REALLY) needs to be done about this.

146 comments to Monday Morning Uni Watch

• DJ | December 29, 2008 at 8:41 am |

• Brendon | December 29, 2008 at 8:43 am |

Not all teams wore the snowflake logo. The Cavs switched uni’s at the last minute and the Wizards had to switch then too, so neither team had the logo.

• Joe Hilseberg | December 29, 2008 at 9:00 am |

[quote comment=”307589″]Greg also notes that the Jets used to have very large TV numbers — “and in the Red Sox font, no less.” …

Not the Red Sox font, but the Champion font. The TV numbers were a bit larger than usual for a Champion jersey.[/quote]

I have some Maryland gamers from the same era made by champion…not the sox font

• Kevin G. | December 29, 2008 at 9:09 am |

I believe Marino was wearing different shoes because of his achilles injury back in 1993. I think the big boot is on the foot that got injured, and he wore it for the remainder of his career.

• Brooks | December 29, 2008 at 9:10 am |

I was young at the time, but I do remember the game that Marino was wearing two different shoes. He had an ankle injury, and they made the shoe special for him so he could play. Kind of like when Kerry Collins played with a broken jaw.

• Teebz | December 29, 2008 at 9:13 am |

They’re made of kevlar and are extremely light while being extremely strong. They are slid on from the back over the skate. The skater ties his skates onto his feet, and then the velcro strap underneath the boot is secured so that the skate guard doesn’t move while playing.

• Brooks | December 29, 2008 at 9:13 am |

• Matt from the 'Ville | December 29, 2008 at 9:28 am |

Paul,

I was one of the lucky ones to have my name drawn and was wondering if I got my first wish (UW membership) will you be contacting whoever the winner is about card design or will we receive the UW design. I can’t wait to see what goodies come in the mail.

Matt G.

• Stuby | December 29, 2008 at 9:31 am |

Joe Montana did used to sport a pretty wicked fu manchu:

• Paul Lukas | December 29, 2008 at 9:32 am |

[quote comment=”307596″]Paul,

Matt G.[/quote]

I’ll be contacting the winner of the free membership so he/she can give me all the details regarding the card’s design.

I’m still waiting for a few winners to check in before I can allocate prizes, because I need to do them in order, based on the winners’ preferences. Hang in there….

• fluxcap | December 29, 2008 at 9:33 am |

[quote comment=”307595″]Kevin G. was right it was an achillies injury and not an ankle injury like I stated.[/quote]

i thought it was due to the Achilles injury as well, but here he is post injury (c. 1996 I believe). That’s not to say that he might have been wearing the different shoe because it was bothering him periodically

• Johnny Bacardi | December 29, 2008 at 9:34 am |

So 49ers history doesn’t go back any farther than 1983?

• DenverGregg | December 29, 2008 at 9:43 am |

• Hurnf | December 29, 2008 at 9:43 am |

What Johnny Bacardi said. I want to see the Niners break out the silver helmets for a game.

• Paul Lukas | December 29, 2008 at 9:44 am |

[quote comment=”307601″]I think “The Niners’ throwback socks have three white socks.” should read “The Niners’ throwback socks have three white stripes.” Sorry if I’m wrong.[/quote]

Thanks! Now fixed.

• JTH | December 29, 2008 at 9:46 am |

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you today’s Four Seasons Heating & Air Conditioning ad. Check out the way they genecicize the jerseys.

• bobwool | December 29, 2008 at 9:48 am |

I really wish there was an (enforceable) NFL rule about players’ pants extending below their knees. Most defensive linemen, receivers, and d-backs don’t even wear thigh and knee pads. Better yet, if the NFL required both thigh and knee pads, most players would have to have pants that extended at least to the top of their knees, which would be an improvement. They’ll fine you if your socks don’t conform, but not if you have no pads in your pants???

• DrBear | December 29, 2008 at 9:52 am |

The Coke ad reminds me of their promotion in the 1960s – I assume it was national, but I can only vouch for Green Bay – in which they had players’ pictures underneath the bottle caps that had footballs on top (shown in the ad). If you got all of yours from your team, you took them in to the bottler or a designated store and got a free “autographed” football (wish I still had mine – the Lombardi era Packers, even with stamped names….)

But what’s really interesting is that (a) the Falcons cap doesn’t match the design of the others with the name arching around the top of the circle; that pretty much places the design in early 65 when the Falcons had just started – and there is no cap for the Saints – and of all the teams, only Minnesota (and to a lesser extent, Chicago) are still using the same logos on a regular basis (as opposed to throwbacks).

• Roger Faso | December 29, 2008 at 10:09 am |

Not a good day to be a NFL headcoach with a last name that starts with MA and ends with an I.

• Rob Ullman | December 29, 2008 at 10:17 am |

Is that Shaun Hill or Ray Wersching?

• Ricko | December 29, 2008 at 10:29 am |

—Ricko

• mike | December 29, 2008 at 10:30 am |

All things Subbuteo can be found here. http://en.wikipedia....

Props to former US champ Gregg Deinhart. The man can still flick it.

• Jared Donnelly | December 29, 2008 at 10:33 am |

What gives?

• Teebz | December 29, 2008 at 10:37 am |

What gives?[/quote]

As someone wrote in the comments that day, LeBron decided to wear the blue uniforms that day instead of the white uniforms to debut his new matching shoes.

The snowflakes were on the white uniforms.

• Ricko | December 29, 2008 at 10:38 am |

Noticed on the highlights this a.m. that Falcons’ Michael Turner had his red jersey tucked into black compression shorts under his white pants. Really could only see it from the back. Maybe that’s common and I never realized it, but seems more common to see jerseys that look like “tails out.”

—Ricko

• fluxcap | December 29, 2008 at 10:39 am |

What gives?[/quote]

The snowflakes were on the white uniforms.[/quote]

The pic Paul posted on the 15th was of the Cavs blue jersey with the patch

• JTH | December 29, 2008 at 10:41 am |

The Bears are definitely still using that logo. This shirt ain’t no throwback.

I find it interesting that the two you mentioned are in the same division.

There’s actually a third one you missed — the Steelers.

• fluxcap | December 29, 2008 at 10:43 am |

[quote comment=”307615″][quote comment=”307606″]of all the teams, only Minnesota (and to a lesser extent, Chicago) are still using the same logos on a regular basis (as opposed to throwbacks).[/quote]
    The Bears are definitely still using that logo. This shirt ain’t no throwback.

I find it interesting that the two you mentioned are in the same division.

There’s actually a third one you missed — the Steelers.[/quote]

And the Browns non-logo

• Teebz | December 29, 2008 at 10:43 am |

What gives?[/quote]

The snowflakes were on the white uniforms.[/quote]

The pic Paul posted on the 15th was of the Cavs blue jersey with the patch[/quote]

I’m just going by the comments.

• fluxcap | December 29, 2008 at 10:47 am |

What gives?[/quote]

The snowflakes were on the white uniforms.[/quote]

I’m just going by the comments.

I wouldn’t watch or care about the NBA if it was the only thing on television 24/7. LOL[/quote]

Here’s the pic Paul posted on the 15th

• Roger Faso | December 29, 2008 at 10:54 am |

Is it mandatory for all Dolphins to have orange soles? How long have they been doing this?

• Cory | December 29, 2008 at 11:04 am |

What gives?[/quote]

The snowflakes were on the white uniforms.[/quote]

I’m just going by the comments.

Here’s the pic Paul posted on the 15th[/quote]

• LI Phil | December 29, 2008 at 11:16 am |

maybe lebron nixed christmas because the snowflake clashed with his kicks?

• Tony in Erie | December 29, 2008 at 11:18 am |

Don Cherry went on ad nauseum on HNIC about how someone would be a millionaire if they had patented that design since it was light and allowed mobility for the ankle while providing excellent protection to the ankle and foot.[/quote]

Other than the fact they look like the original “Rollerblade” inlines… I’m surprised that these protectors don’t become more common practice, a la face shields.

• jere | December 29, 2008 at 11:21 am |

As a person who grew up a Red Sox and Jets fan, I do admit the two teams had a lot in common in those days–the whole “making me cry every year” thing comes to mind–but numeral fonts were not one of them. A quick glance at the three proves it.

I think looking at a jersey like this may have confused the person. Those aren’t the actual Red Sox numbers, these are.

• Ricko | December 29, 2008 at 11:21 am |

[quote comment=”307622″]maybe lebron nixed christmas because the snowflake clashed with his kicks?[/quote]

Bah, Humswoosh!

• Jeff | December 29, 2008 at 11:34 am |

• Belgium Endive | December 29, 2008 at 11:36 am |

It does feature a uniform related oddity. The Sunday games will be both have rare uni combo of purple going against green (albeit a wide spectrum of green), and if it weren’t for Miami’s unfortunate use of dark blue, a complete abscence of the most prominent uniform colors of red and blue.

Saturday’s match up of Atlanta/Arizona – might look like an inter-squad game – due to the uniform similarities.

In oder of preference – I would rate the match ups

1st: Indianopolis/San Diego – Grade B-
    2nd: Philadelphia/Minnesota – Grade C+
    3rd: Baltimore/Miami – Grade C
    4th: Atlanta/Arizona – Grade D

Thoughts?

• Patrick | December 29, 2008 at 11:39 am |

I have never been a 49ers fan, but screw it…

if they adopted those throwbacks (with a more restrained pants stripe), they would have the best uniforms in the NFL. Those things are just beautiful. I love how the helmet and pants stripe match, while the jersey and sock stripes do as well. And those jerseys are SO much more bold (and uncluttered) without any annoying gold and black accents.

Also, Al Harris looks like a fucking idiot.

• JTH | December 29, 2008 at 11:41 am |

[quote comment=”307616″]
    And the Browns non-logo[/quote]
    The Browns logo on the bottle cap is this Brownie logo, which is defunct.

• Ricko | December 29, 2008 at 11:42 am |

[quote comment=”307627″]More on the Packers’ Al Harris: He wore those high white socks in the first half. In the second half, he was rocking the socks the other way — all green instead of all white.[/quote]

In the two Al Harris photos in The Ticker, Calvin Johnson’s pants don’t exactly cover his knees, either. Players have liked that, and have kept attempting to get away with it, since the mid-70s…search the likes of Fred Biletnikoff and Haven Moses (Broncos) to name two of the earliest NFL practioners that I recall off the top of my head.

—Ricko

• Patrick | December 29, 2008 at 11:42 am |

[quote comment=”307628″]Is it me, or are this upcoming weekend’s play-off games – a collective uni – dud.

In oder of preference – I would rate the match ups

1st: Indianopolis/San Diego – Grade B-
    2nd: Philadelphia/Minnesota – Grade C+
    3rd: Baltimore/Miami – Grade C
    4th: Atlanta/Arizona – Grade D

Thoughts?[/quote]

Agreed, except I’d switch Baltimore/Miami to 2nd and drop Philly/Minny down to third, because that is one ugly game.

Uniform-wise, wild card weekend will be pretty brutal.

• Chad | December 29, 2008 at 11:43 am |

• fluxcap | December 29, 2008 at 11:56 am |

[quote comment=”307630″][quote comment=”307616″]
    And the Browns non-logo[/quote]
    The Browns logo on the bottle cap is this Brownie logo, which is defunct.[/quote]

Guess it would have helped to follow the discussion before piping up with a comment, I do however have a great t-shirt with the Brownie logo, I’m hoping they do bring it back

• Brendon | December 29, 2008 at 12:02 pm |

[quote comment=”307620″][quote comment=”307618″][quote comment=”307617″][quote comment=”307614″][quote comment=”307612″][quote comment=”307611″]I dont have the pics, but I was at the Cavs game on Christmas day and they most certainly were NOT wearing the snowflake patch. Which I found odd being as when the picture of the patch was on this blog, it was featured on a Cavaliers jersey.

What gives?[/quote]

The snowflakes were on the white uniforms.[/quote]

I’m just going by the comments.

Here’s the pic Paul posted on the 15th[/quote]

im sure because of merchandising and sales they made both white and blue jerseys with the snowflake patch. or perhaps that blue jersey was just a sample but i was personally watching the cavs game on christmas day and the explanation craig sager gave was that they were going to wear the whites with the snowflake patch (he was actually holding one in his hand as he explained this) but then switched jerseys because lebron thought the blues went better with his new shoes that he was debuting, so they wore those instead, which in turn forced the wizards to go white.[/quote]
    read comment # 2. They explained why on TNT.

• Tim F. | December 29, 2008 at 12:03 pm |

[quote comment=”307630″][quote comment=”307616″]
    And the Browns non-logo[/quote]

• Samuel Lam | December 29, 2008 at 12:04 pm |

Mustaches like Niners of old refers to players like

Randy Cross
    Ray Wersching
    and, even Joe Montana

• LI Phil | December 29, 2008 at 12:07 pm |

tampa fans are cool, but not too sure about the management…

went to the new years day game in 2006 (wearing tampa colors, of course — have a pic on the home computer)…and the bucs were playing the saints…so what was the featured song at halftime that the tampa cheerleaders danced to?

“rock you like a hurricane”

–not the swiftest move by the bucs (i pointed this out to my then-fiancee and she was so pissed she wrote a letter to the tampa paper bemoaning the insensitivity of the team)

• MPowers1634 | December 29, 2008 at 12:10 pm |

When playing the Lions, your socks are the most important concern you can have.

Marino did wear those Frankenstien boots for the remainder of his career…sparingly ala Alonzo Mourning and his extended high-tops.

• MPowers1634 | December 29, 2008 at 12:11 pm |

[quote comment=”307636″][quote comment=”307630″][quote comment=”307616″]
    And the Browns non-logo[/quote]

Except for those great sideline capes they still wear! And the coffee mug to my left.[/quote]

As a Browns fan, Tim F., I assume you have no love for Tim C.?

• Ricko | December 29, 2008 at 12:13 pm |

MEMO

TO: Jerry Jones
    SUBJECT: Playing Surface

At the new stadium, instead of grass or turf, put down paper.
    Because the Cowboys, y’know, always look good on paper.

(Hey, that might work at the new Yankee Stadium, too.)

—Ricko

• LI Phil | December 29, 2008 at 12:14 pm |
  • MPowers1634 | December 29, 2008 at 12:14 pm |

1. Vernon Davis, a Maryland guy, has been with UA since he entered the league.

2, Check out this great pic of JoePa:

• Fred in Philly | December 29, 2008 at 12:17 pm |

I am doing some post Christmas shopping and was wondering if there is a uniwatch discount for Distant Replays. I thought i remembered a discount code on here a couple weeks or so ago.
    Thanks.

• JTH | December 29, 2008 at 12:17 pm |

[quote comment=”307636″][quote comment=”307630″][quote comment=”307616″]
    And the Browns non-logo[/quote]

• Tim F. | December 29, 2008 at 12:20 pm |

[quote comment=”307640″][quote comment=”307636″][quote comment=”307630″][quote comment=”307616″]
    And the Browns non-logo[/quote]

As a Browns fan, Tim F., I assume you have no love for Tim C.?[/quote]

You assume correctly. Oddly, I do have in my collection somewhere a bloodied #2 UnderArmor shirt of Tim C’s. I am not proud of the item, but its condition does speak to the overall product the Browns put on the field in those days (and these I suppose).

[quote comment=”307645″][quote comment=”307636″][quote comment=”307630″][quote comment=”307616″]
    And the Browns non-logo[/quote]

Really? They still use sideline capes with that logo for their regular (non-throwback) games? I was not aware.[/quote]

• JR Boucicaut | December 29, 2008 at 12:26 pm |

This is the company that makes them. They offer a stock one as well as a custom one.

This is Saku Koivu’s version –

• Steve | December 29, 2008 at 12:30 pm |

• Ricko | December 29, 2008 at 12:30 pm |

This is Saku Koivu’s version –

• u2-horn | December 29, 2008 at 12:31 pm |

• JR Boucicaut | December 29, 2008 at 12:35 pm |

This is Saku Koivu’s version –

And Phil Knight reaches for his checkbook, pondering them in team colors with a big-ass Swoosh.[/quote]

• JTH | December 29, 2008 at 12:35 pm |

[quote comment=”307646″][quote]

Yup, just saw them last week against the Bengals in the 0 degree windchill game.[/quote]
    I see. So there are four teams still using the logos on those Coke caps — two in the AFC North and two in the NFC North.

• LI Phil | December 29, 2008 at 12:37 pm |

gallery

EDIT: whoops…looks like only the first pic is of the ceremony

• Dan | December 29, 2008 at 12:41 pm |

I always like to see my team play in their throwbacks, especially against teams whose uniforms haven’t changed that much either – SF & Washington was a good matchup for this.
    I prefer the pre 1987 sleeve stripes on 49er jerseys, the thicker white ones with the wider sleeves always looked better, but also understand that in this day of shrinking sleevage (as per the last photo of today’s entry), I’d be lucky to see sleeves anything like that again!
    Those jersey/vest things really look awful. I understand how linemen etc like their jerseys as tight as possible or with as little material to grab on to, but is it necessary to share armpits with the world like that?
    I can’t help but wonder, how would a jersey like that been viewed by a manly, mustachioed lineman in the 70’s, say?

• Teebz | December 29, 2008 at 12:44 pm |

[quote comment=”307649″]

They’re appropriately priced if they are to become a Nike product.

$250 US for top guards, and $350 for side guards!

That’s $600 for a pair of skates! No wonder only the pros are wearing them.

• Ricko | December 29, 2008 at 12:48 pm |

—Ricko

• Dan | December 29, 2008 at 12:54 pm |

—Ricko[/quote]

Might be the best a sleeve fan can hope for in the future I think! I’m just a big fan of those huge flapping sleeves we used to see, and I’m not a liker of these new jersey designs at all, whether they make for better equipment or not.

• Patrick | December 29, 2008 at 1:01 pm |

—Ricko[/quote]

I had that very idea a while back and figured it would look something like this…

• Ricko | December 29, 2008 at 1:07 pm |

[quote comment=”307658″][quote comment=”307656″]Was thinking yesterday that the football jersey is evolving (devolving?) from a garment into an ornamental/numbered “shoulder pad vest”, isn’t it. So I suppose the return of “sleeve” stripes may come about only when the players begin to wear–or become required to wear–some sort of spandex shirt UNDER the pads. In theory, team issue gear such as that could have stripes, team logos, etc. on the arm between the elbow and shoulder.

—Ricko[/quote]

Ta-Da!

Excellent.

• Dan | December 29, 2008 at 1:11 pm |

I think something would have to be done with regards to sleeve striping – these are parts of the uniform design I assume; so where would that leave the replica jersey market? I’m sure I wouldn’t buy a replica vestyjersey thing!
    The under jersey garment idea is ok, but then beggars the question, why lose the arm section of a jersey in the first place? As sleeves are so tight now, I can’t really see a huge benefit in cutting the sleeve down past the armpit.

• Joe Hilseberg | December 29, 2008 at 1:17 pm |

[quote comment=”307653″][quote comment=”307650″]All of the Capitals wore #11 throwbacks during warmups last night for the Gartner ceremony.[/quote]

gallery

EDIT: whoops…looks like only the first pic is of the ceremony[/quote]

Come on Caps…spring for the real jerseys and not those weak replicas

• Bob A | December 29, 2008 at 1:19 pm |

What a great gift Steve Johnston received.

• DenverGregg | December 29, 2008 at 1:24 pm |

—Ricko[/quote]

Outstanding! Added bonus is that it would be a pre-emptive strike against players selling advertising space amidst tattoos. I’m surprised we haven’t seen the swoosh, the apple or the new Pepsi logo on a player’s bicep yet.

• jon | December 29, 2008 at 1:29 pm |

[quote comment=”307629″]I have never been a 49ers fan, but screw it…

Also, Al Harris looks like a fucking idiot.[/quote]

• jon | December 29, 2008 at 1:34 pm |

Also, Al Harris looks like a fucking idiot.[/quote][/quote]

i hate the quote thing lol. heres what i meant to say:

• Tony in Erie | December 29, 2008 at 1:36 pm |

[quote comment=”307642″]why hockey rocks[/quote]

Also, why hockey sucks sometimes. Sorry Phil.

• JTH | December 29, 2008 at 1:37 pm |

[quote comment=”307665″][quote comment=”307664″][quote comment=”307629″]I have never been a 49ers fan, but screw it…

Also, Al Harris looks like a fucking idiot.[/quote][/quote]

i hate the quote thing lol. heres what i meant to say:

i like the niners throwbacks, but only as throwbacks. maybe its cuz i grew up with them in the beauties (yes, i said beauties. god forbid someone say drop shadow looks good.) they wear now, but i feel like they are far superior. the maroon rather than the red goes much better with the gold of the helmet. the gold and black accents make the jersey pop more than the plain red and white. honestly i have to think for a minute or look at a name on the back when i see a replica niners throwback because in reality it looks like a 1980s college football jersey. thats just me. not all modern jerseys are bad.[/quote]
    I knew what you meant. I have no problem with the drop shadow. I think this is the best jersey the Niners have ever had. I disagree about the new color scheme, though. Gold and crimson/cardinal do not look nearly as good together as the gold and red do.

• mike stratford | December 29, 2008 at 1:39 pm |

i dont know if you’ve seen this
    but i think its pretty gross.

• LI Phil | December 29, 2008 at 1:41 pm |

[quote comment=”307666″][quote comment=”307642″]why hockey rocks[/quote]

Also, why hockey sucks sometimes. Sorry Phil.[/quote]

• Dan | December 29, 2008 at 1:42 pm |

Also, Al Harris looks like a fucking idiot.[/quote][/quote]

i hate the quote thing lol. heres what i meant to say:

I understand your opinion, although don’t necessarily agree entirely – I dont think the modern Niners jersey stands out more – with twice as many colours as previously I don’t see how that can compete with the simplicity of a light/dark two colour combination. I don’t think all modern jerseys are bad either, and the Niner’s is possibly not one of the worst (block numbering aside), but I don’t think it’s superior to it’s most famous predecessor.

• Tony in Erie | December 29, 2008 at 1:52 pm |

Also, why hockey sucks sometimes. Sorry Phil.[/quote]

the hockey wing will be commencing with your disciplinary measures at 3:00 EST, should you wish to answer the heresy charges now pending ;)[/quote]

LOL. Nice.

• Teebz | December 29, 2008 at 1:55 pm |

Also, why hockey sucks sometimes. Sorry Phil.[/quote]

Actually, Tony has a point. Hockey fights do suck sometimes, especially when something like this happens.

You never want to see anyone hurt where they can’t play again.

• Tony in Erie | December 29, 2008 at 1:56 pm |

Shame that Sampson has no idea he is a Ticker Superstar today! Who else gets mentioned TWICE in one day?

• Tony in Erie | December 29, 2008 at 2:01 pm |

Apparently noone clicked on this link in the ticker yet…

• Tony in Erie | December 29, 2008 at 2:04 pm |

Also, why hockey sucks sometimes. Sorry Phil.[/quote]

You never want to see anyone hurt where they can’t play again.[/quote]

Agreed, I’m only saying it because not once in the history of hockey has a goal been scored because two guys were punching each other. I find it sort of old-fashioned and useless really.

• LI Phil | December 29, 2008 at 2:10 pm |

[quote]that sort of hockey is dead and gone now[/quote]

old time hockey?

• Matt Brosseau | December 29, 2008 at 2:19 pm |

Also, why hockey sucks sometimes. Sorry Phil.[/quote]

You never want to see anyone hurt where they can’t play again.[/quote]

LI Phil, ready for DiPietro vs. the Rags tonight?!

• John | December 29, 2008 at 2:19 pm |

[quote comment=”307675″][quote comment=”307672″][quote comment=”307669″][quote comment=”307666″][quote comment=”307642″]why hockey rocks[/quote]

Also, why hockey sucks sometimes. Sorry Phil.[/quote]

You never want to see anyone hurt where they can’t play again.[/quote]

I love Slap Shot, but that sort of hockey is dead and gone now. I very rarely see fights at Otters games and honestly, I don’t miss it.[/quote]

Go to the library and get the book “The Code” It’s all about hockey fights and why they are necessary. It’s a good read.

• Lwiedy | December 29, 2008 at 2:23 pm |

This is nonsense. I’ve gone to RJS in 2005-06-07 wearing b&g and had no problem. If this is a 2008 thing, I went to the SD game last week and a number of fairly obnoxious folks in my section with (light blue & gold) lightning bolts on their heads and LT jerseys went without incident.

If this is a legit story, the tool was removed because he was ACTING like a Raiders fan, not dressing like one.

• LI Phil | December 29, 2008 at 2:30 pm |

[quote]LI Phil, ready for DiPietro vs. the Rags tonight?![/quote]

hey, the isles are 1-2-1 in their last 4…time to start the drive for five!

f*** the blueshirts tho

• Ricko | December 29, 2008 at 2:33 pm |

Having been to games in Oakland, I do know Raider fans stand the entire game. Without re-reading the item, does the alleged “victim” make any reference as to whether or not he was seated when all this occurred.

I’m saying, what he may want to conveniently describe as behaving normally may be normal in Oakland and unacceptable elsewhere.

Not accusing, just asking.

• Matt Brosseau | December 29, 2008 at 2:36 pm |

[quote comment=”307680″][quote]LI Phil, ready for DiPietro vs. the Rags tonight?![/quote]

hey, the isles are 1-2-1 in their last 4…time to start the drive for five!

f*** the blueshirts tho[/quote]

Most importantly, they showed a lot of fight up in Buffalo Saturday night. Campoli’s goal was the most exciting Isles goal since Bates’s penalty shot in ’03. Still too many penalties though. Should be fun tonight.

• Mark in Cincy | December 29, 2008 at 2:39 pm |

Not sure if anyone has commented on this article (http://dispatch.com/...) yet, but a neat little DIY by a member of the Ohio State scout team. It appears that he used blue electrical tape to turn the silver and red glory into that hideous blue and yellow (i mean maize) thing

• Ricko | December 29, 2008 at 2:50 pm |

re: Winter Classic.

Just checked Thursday’s weather forecast for Chicago:
    Cloudy, no precip., high just below freezing.

Will be tough to beat the perfect conditions (for a visual event, that is) of last year’s snowy day.

• The Hemogoblin | December 29, 2008 at 2:56 pm |

[quote comment=”307684″]re: Winter Classic.

Just checked Thursday’s weather forecast for Chicago:
    Cloudy, no precip., high just below freezing.

Either way, looking forward it. Such a great event—for both spectators and viewers—this has so quickly become.[/quote]

All hockey games should be played in football/baseball stadiums.

ALL OF THEM.

• Teebz | December 29, 2008 at 2:56 pm |

[quote comment=”307677″]
    Blaming the scrap for the injury is sort of specious. I’ve been a huge hockey fan for 25 years and this is the first I’ve ever heard of a player being critically injured due to injuries sustained in the course of a fight. A freak thing; he easily could have been injured this way getting checked from behind or just falling and hitting his head on the ice. The way players wear helmets loose (which exposes the back of the head of a player falling backwards), it’s just a matter of time. They might as well not wear them at all.[/quote]

The reason the scrap was being blamed in this instance is due to the fact that fighting is banned in that league.

• Teebz | December 29, 2008 at 3:01 pm |

[quote comment=”307686″]
    As for other injuries, there have been a number of players whose careers have been ended thanks to injuries in fights. Nick Kypreos is one of them, and his career-ending punch was delivered via Ryan Vandenbussche.[/quote]

I’ll qualify this by saying that as long as the instigator rule is still a part of the NHL, fighting should be abolished.

• Bob A | December 29, 2008 at 3:29 pm |

hey, the isles are 1-2-1 in their last 4…time to start the drive for five!

f*** the blueshirts tho[/quote]

Potvin sux

• Ricko | December 29, 2008 at 3:38 pm |

• mtjaws | December 29, 2008 at 3:49 pm |

In oder of preference – I would rate the match ups

1st: Indianopolis/San Diego – Grade B-
    2nd: Philadelphia/Minnesota – Grade C+
    3rd: Baltimore/Miami – Grade C
    4th: Atlanta/Arizona – Grade D

Thoughts?[/quote]

I’m hoping the Dolphins break out the Aqua jerseys for a welcome change. I’m sick of the all white nearly every single week. They did do aqua pants at the Jets, so maybe they can mix it up at home too.

And please bring sleeves back for everyone in football. Enough with the pits!

• Chuck | December 29, 2008 at 4:16 pm |

The Reebok logo on the Niners stripes is just wrong! What is next, the helmet?

• Tony in Erie | December 29, 2008 at 4:18 pm |

[quote comment=”307687″][quote comment=”307686″]

If they kill off the instigator, it allows the players to police themselves again. At that point, the code becomes relevant again.[/quote]

I’ll agree with you there…we both know it won’t happen. Players are getting too big to be trusted LOL.

>i>And please bring sleeves back for everyone in football. Enough with the pits!

This ad isn’t helping the anti-pits discussion…

• JTH | December 29, 2008 at 4:24 pm |

[quote comment=”307689″]Don’t know if this artist’s rendering of the Winter Classic at Wrigley has been posted (click on the rendering at right to enlarge).

Fans will be a long way away from the ice. Could be one of the rare occasions when hockey is actually better on TV than in person (better SEEN, that is; being there still will be a hell of an experience, I imagine). Even without throwbacks it’d be fun. Of course, the Wings and Hawks would be classic even in their everyday duds.[/quote]

Yeah, and if you look at the seating/price chart, it seems completely backwards.

But that’s not stopping thieves and con men enterprising individuals who are attempting to capitalize on people’s ignorance by touting the tix they’re trying to unload for $400+ as FRONT! ROW! TICKETS! even though they’re “Limited View Youth Hockey” seats that I believe were given away for free in some kind of lottery.

• Ricko | December 29, 2008 at 4:26 pm |

re: Pits

I keep tellin’ ya, when the gun-rack, trailer-park, Larry-the-Cable-Guy look is NFL chic…go buy a new car with payments over 60 or 72 months because you ain’t gonna have to pay it off. The Mayans were right; the apocalypse is nigh.

Dec. 21, 2012.

• Tony in Erie | December 29, 2008 at 4:28 pm |

Someone told me the same thing in 1998 about Y2K, Ricko. Now I have nothing but bad credit to show for it! :)

• Ricko | December 29, 2008 at 4:35 pm |

I know. :)

Just further evidence of the dumbing-down of society. Evidently these days it’s cool to look like an illiterate oaf whose biggest dream in life is that his really great-looking cousin will agree to marry him.

You might be redneck…
    if you play on an NFL defensive line.

• Kerry P | December 29, 2008 at 4:36 pm |

tampa fans are cool, but not too sure about the management…

“rock you like a hurricane”

why was this insensitive, you might ask? hurricane katrina had basically destroyed NO a few scant monts before…so, playing this song with the saints as opposition…neither tactful nor swift, imho[/quote]

• Josh | December 29, 2008 at 4:51 pm |

Did anyone else notice that the Steelers’ medical staff removed Ben Roethlisberger’s face mask yesterday as they treated him for what turned out to be a concussion?

• Josh | December 29, 2008 at 4:56 pm |
  • Bob A | December 29, 2008 at 4:56 pm |

There has got to be more to this. No way do they toss a guy for having on the ‘wrong’ colors.

This is my favorite reply in the column:
    “being a Raiders fan is enough for probable cause”

• Beau A | December 29, 2008 at 5:02 pm |

Alright, so, being a Bucs season ticket holder for the last five years, I can honestly say the ONLY….and, I mean ONLY reason I’ve ever seen ANYONE removed from a game was either public intoxication, obscene language, or inability to listen when people ask to sit down.

I was there yesterday, and I’ve never seen a bunch of fans more into not listening to anything you have to say, politely or not.

That story is bogus. No doubt about it.

• Tim F. | December 29, 2008 at 5:03 pm |

I finally got around to providing some “Brownie” cape pics…

…from week 16 vs. Bengals.

• Ricko | December 29, 2008 at 5:09 pm |

[quote comment=”307697″][quote comment=”307638″][quote comment=”307633″]looks like you can’t wear raider’s colors in tampa bay. Tampa Bay Handcuffs And Ejects You For Rooting For The Opposing Football Team

tampa fans are cool, but not too sure about the management…

“rock you like a hurricane”

You think SHE was offended? Try being a Saints fan and hearing that! I remember when it happenned.[/quote]

NEVER—I learned long ago—expect any real class from NFL management…although they love to fake it with theatrical, overblown grief and compassion (Sean Taylor, Gene Upshaw). In their eyes players are unquestionably expendable; fans faceless and easily replaceable.

And they’re right. There’s never a shorter of players or fans. They have absolutely no reason to care or be genuine, no reason to be anything but the marketing machine they are.

If you think differently…you’re buying their act.

—Ricko

• Ricko | December 29, 2008 at 5:46 pm |

[quote comment=”307702″]I finally got around to providing some “Brownie” cape pics…

…from week 16 vs. Bengals.[/quote]

Those are SO cool. Remind me of the 50s and 60s.

• Joe | December 29, 2008 at 6:16 pm |

[quote comment=”307648″]For future uni watching purposes, James vanRiemsdyk is a prospect in the Flyers organization, and according to reports he is going to make the pros one day. Keep an eye out for that jersey…[/quote]
    i went to HS with this kid, we won the state championship for NJ hockey that year. i guess it was 05 or 06. that was an interesting HS jersey too, i think his is the one our school has hanging in the Rock in Newark.

• MPowers1634 | December 29, 2008 at 6:17 pm |

[quote comment=”307674″]Apparently noone clicked on this link in the ticker yet…

The league’s normal footwear-color rules were suspended for the day, resulting in lots of special designs[/quote]

I did but was on my way out of the house.

Two nights ago, I posted about 15 different special Player Exclusive shoes…check em out!

• MPowers1634 | December 29, 2008 at 6:28 pm |

This is Saku Koivu’s version –

Hahaha…which were those Nike shoes that had the sleeve/strap that came in different colors? I remember kids at the rink used to buy them and put them on their skates a few years back.[/quote]

Two pairs:

Nike Air Adjust Force:

Nike Air Modify Force:

The Fit-Wrap strap was interchangeable and came in many different colors.

Football players, like Qunetin Griffin and Torrance Marshall of OU, got into the act too!

Marshall #10, in crimson, far right:

• =bg= | December 29, 2008 at 6:30 pm |

[quote comment=”307691″]The Reebok logo on the Niners stripes is just wrong!

What is next, the helmet?[/quote]

I thought about that. I think they just didn’t have anywhere else to put it. I think, given the old-school Singletary vibe now entrenched, you’ll see those kept full-time. Watch out for the Niners (I can’t believe I am saying that.) Had this been a year ago..you’d see them in the post-season this week. They have good players..and they believe in Mike. They’ll truly go to war for him. If the reg season continued, the 49ers wouldn’t be high on lists of teams you want to play. Wade Phillips, you pickin’ up any of this?

• Johnny O | December 29, 2008 at 7:11 pm |

tampa fans are cool, but not too sure about the management…

“rock you like a hurricane”

• Evan | December 29, 2008 at 8:03 pm |

Northwestern is having some Uni inconsistency. Some of the players have the Adidas logo below the neck while others have the logo on the left. Weird

• K.G. | December 29, 2008 at 8:03 pm |

tampa fans are cool, but not too sure about the management…

“rock you like a hurricane”

This is college, so it might be a little different situation, but last year I went to the Gopher/Badger football game at the Humpty Dump with a “Fuck the Gophers” shirt on, and no one said anything to me or any of my other friends wearing the shirt.[/quote]

Stay classy

• LI Phil | December 29, 2008 at 8:16 pm |

[quote comment=”307711″][quote comment=”307709″]looks like you can’t wear raider’s colors in tampa bay. Tampa Bay Handcuffs And Ejects You For Rooting For The Opposing Football Team

tampa fans are cool, but not too sure about the management…

“rock you like a hurricane”

me and the ex before the game at ray jay (the ONLY time i’ve ever worn another team’s colors [as in, not the g-men] to a game…well, at the time, i was almost about to become a bucs fan–i’ll never make that mistake again)

• Johnny O | December 29, 2008 at 8:25 pm |

[quote comment=”307711″][quote comment=”307709″][quote comment=”307638″][quote comment=”307633″]looks like you can’t wear raider’s colors in tampa bay. Tampa Bay Handcuffs And Ejects You For Rooting For The Opposing Football Team

tampa fans are cool, but not too sure about the management…

“rock you like a hurricane”

Stay classy[/quote]

We didn’t abuse any fans, we didn’t yell obscenities, we didn’t get intoxicated and get too loud or unruly, we didn’t shout any derogatory cheers, and I personally covered up the obscenity whenever I saw any young kids passing by… so yes, I was classy. The shirt may have not been “classy” to some, but I acted appropriate the entire game and represented Wisconsin fans well.

• David | December 29, 2008 at 8:36 pm |

Anyone know about the LSU-GT game? Here are two teams that like to wear white at home and rarely wear dark jerseys. Will we see White vs Gold? White vs. Purple? White vs. Navy Blue?

• MPowers1634 | December 29, 2008 at 8:36 pm |

I saw this at StraightCashHomey and I thought y’all needed to see it:

Here’s the caption:

What sort of bribe would it have taken to get Romeo Crennel to put this guy in the game yesterday? Five dollars? Roast turkey leg? A promise to not point out that a man who’s shaped exactly like a football should be able to coach?

• Evan | December 29, 2008 at 8:39 pm |

[quote comment=”307715″]I saw this at StraightCashHomey and I thought y’all needed to see it:

Here’s the caption:

Classic and uni-friendly since the helmet is an Adams complete with single bar facemask![/quote]

Those are some sweet sweatpants

• David | December 29, 2008 at 9:08 pm |

re: the Raider fan

maybe it’s a Tampa thing. a friend of mine went to one of the ALCS games in Tampa and was harassed by security for standing up and waving his Sox hat when Boston scored a run. they were very close to kicking him out. crazy stuff.

• Ric | December 29, 2008 at 9:13 pm |

Sorry if it’s a bit offensive to anyone, but once again Nike seems to sponsor everything.

• DannyB | December 29, 2008 at 9:22 pm |

Dang Ric, I just saw that and thought “I’ve got to post this on uniwatch”… logo creep where it belongs…

• JTH | December 29, 2008 at 9:48 pm |

[quote comment=”307708″][quote comment=”307691″]The Reebok logo on the Niners stripes is just wrong!

What is next, the helmet?[/quote]

I thought about that. I think they just didn’t have anywhere else to put it.[/quote]
    How ’bout putting it above the TV numbers? Or they could just leave it on the tag inside the jersey.

• anonuminous | December 29, 2008 at 9:55 pm |

• Jordan Pope | December 29, 2008 at 10:17 pm |
  • Carl | December 29, 2008 at 10:20 pm |

[quote comment=”307609″]49ers and Vikings are two teams that, when someone said, “We should get new uniforms”, some wiser head should have asked, “Why?”

—Ricko[/quote]

Absolutely. If it ain’t broke, don’t try to generate new jersey sales with an butfugly (new word!) remodel.

And for the record, things don’t break. They just lack duct tape. That would interesting on a jersey.

• Jordan Pope | December 29, 2008 at 10:24 pm |

Revolution Speed Alert
    Chase Daniels for Mizzou against Northwestern

• Carl | December 29, 2008 at 11:03 pm |

[quote comment=”307642″]why hockey rocks[/quote]

True. During that wonderful boxing display it sounds like John Candy (RIP) is doing to blow-by-blow.

CS

• Paul Lukas | December 29, 2008 at 11:28 pm |

In one of history’s least surprising developments, this pussy is a coward hiding behind a phony e-mail address.

NBA correction will be running in tomorrow’s Ticker.

• JR Boucicaut | December 29, 2008 at 11:31 pm |

[quote comment=”307707″][quote comment=”307651″][quote comment=”307649″][quote comment=”307647″][quote comment=”307594″]Those skate protectors worn by Gorges are not really that “heavy duty”, but they are extremely well-designed.

This is Saku Koivu’s version –

Two pairs:

Nike Air Adjust Force:

Nike Air Modify Force:

The Fit-Wrap strap was interchangeable and came in many different colors.

Marshall #10, in crimson, far right:

Thanks, those were the ones.

Nice, I went to HS/graduated with Torrance back in Miami.

• Pretty Boy Paulie | December 29, 2008 at 11:41 pm |

• Teebz | December 30, 2008 at 12:17 am |

[quote comment=”307726″][quote comment=”307721″]Kind of annoying that Paul was too lazy to read the comments (because he obvs didn’t watch the game) about Wizards-Cavs and the no snoflake patches, and just went with what his secret sources told him would happen without checking on what really did happen and THEN didn’t bother to acknowledge his mistake either by changing the text or posting a mea culpa. For someone who takes such pride in details it truly shames his work. Oh yeah, and thanks for “giving back” a bunch of swag you got for free and had no use for.[/quote]

NBA correction will be running in tomorrow’s Ticker.[/quote]

Is that any surprise, Paul? ;o)

• Andrew Harris | December 30, 2008 at 12:28 am |

Seeing those Jets unis, the Dolphins and the mud under foot makes me wonder if this wasn’t the infamous 14-0 AFC championship game, played in Orange Bowl muck after a torrential rain. Richard Todd was intercepted 5 times, thrice by AJ Duhe.

Say it ain’t so.

• Cory | December 30, 2008 at 2:08 am |

this is a picture of some cocaine branding devices (to stamp on the bricks of cocaine), a couple of these logos look eerily familiar…

• Husul | December 30, 2008 at 6:59 am |

SKATE PROTECTORS??????????????????
    Wow, the hockey terminology continues to get worse here. They are protecting the feet, not the skate laces.

dashers / shorts / skate protectors …. please ask people who play before you guys continue to post these ridiculous terms. I even saw stick/blade tape referred to as a “blade pad”..

baseball players don’t wear ‘knickers’ and hockey players DON’T WEAR DASHER OR SHORTS!

• Dan | December 30, 2008 at 7:34 am |

[quote comment=”307730″]Greg also notes that the Jets used to have very large TV numbers — “and in the Red Sox font, no less.”

Say it ain’t so.[/quote]

It certainly is from that same game, although I’ve never watched the game, I’ve noticed those big TV numbers before. They’re huge!

• MPowers1634 | December 30, 2008 at 8:07 am |

[quote comment=”307728″]I have to chime in on how freakin’ awesome the NBA sneaker scene was on Christmas day! LOVE IT![/quote]

All-Star game worthy!

• Matt | December 30, 2008 at 12:18 pm |

Subbuteo always was a cool-LOOKING game, but if you want a table game that looks even better and is fun to play: tablehockey.com … I have it; awesome.

• Ryan Beauchamp | December 30, 2008 at 7:19 pm |

can i say WOW
    check out this picture of Larry Fitzgeralds cleats I found
    they look like a mixture of the Nike Huraches
    and some LeBron’s

even though the red doesnt match the uniform red. He still pulled it off