It’s in the Bag

all three bags.jpg

New ESPN coming soon. Much of its content will be familiar to many of you, but at least one aspect of it — an aspect hinted at by the photo shown above — will definitely be new. Here’s the link.

Picture 1.png

It’s that damn “Gotcha!” journalism again, just like Sarah Palin said: Yesterday’s Ticker mention of Steve Slaton’s peeling helmet decal prompted the following note from Texans Asst. Equipment Director Christian Snell:

Damn you caught me! I noticed the decal right away when Steve was on the field. As soon as he came off after that series, I went over and grabbed his helmet. I tried to smooth out the decal and get it to adhere, but the backing had apparently rubbed on the ground and was covered with dirt and grass. As much as I tried, it just wouldn’t hold. All I could think about the whole time was “That bastard on Uni Watch is going to see this and it’s going to be on the web site tomorrow!”

I considered putting on a fresh decal right there on the sideline, hoping you wouldn’t notice, but I was afraid a sudden change of possession would occur and he would run out there before I could correct it and have only one decal. Now that would be embarrassing!

Anyway, thanks for keeping me on my toes and pointing out my failings as an equipment manager, hahaha.

I have nothing but respect for Christian and other equipment managers, and I think it’s kind of sad that they primarily think of Uni Watch as a watchdog looking to pounce on their mistakes. Au contraire, Christian — you’re one of the uniform world’s unsung heroes. We all know things like partially peeled decals are gonna happen here and there, no matter what you do. Just because I report that something happened doesn’t mean I’m blaming anyone — no harm, no foul.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Check this out — you can build your own paper model of Wrigley Field! (Thanks, Kirsten.) … The second item on this Q&A page has some good info on UNC’s argyle design (with thanks to Chris Warfford). … The South African rugby team is getting a new badge (courtesy of James Atherton). … Not uni-related, but this is pure genius. … Yesterday I asked why Texas A&M was wearing a jersey patch last Thursday. Full explanation here (with thanks to Andrew Joseph). … Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: Advertising in public space has now encroached to high school math tests. Yes, I think it’s an outrage, and no, I don’t think the money is worth it. … Numerical note from Tris Wykes, who writes: “When longtime NHL goaltender Marc Denis was demoted last season from Tampa Bay to its AHL farm club, the Norfolk Admirals, he came out wearing a number that didn’t match the number on his mask. The funny thing is, no other player was assigned No. 30 and Denis switched to No. 39 with the Admirals after that first game. Perhaps he felt No. 30 was just his NHL number.” … The Devil wears Prada black. … Speaking of Citi Field, Phil wonders if these seat ads “will be as hard to remove as the ones at Enron Field were.” … More from Phil: The Hornets unveiled their New Orleans Bucs throwbacks, the Fort Wayne Tin Caps unveiled their uni set (further details here), WVU will wear white at home this weekend, the Princeton Rays will have new uniforms next season, and so will the Australian Navy. … Small uni-related note buried in the middle of this story about the U. of Vermont’s newly revived football program: “Two years ago, when Robert Corran, Vermont’s athletic director, first heard that a student was talking about reviving football, he thought it would be a struggle. ‘I remember somebody asked me if we had any football equipment left,’ Corran, a former football player and coach, said. ‘And I said: “Not anything you’d want. They don’t use single-bar face masks anymore”’” (with thanks to Stan Olechowski)… As a 49ers fan, I find this pretty damn scary (blame Todd Davis). … Yesterday’s Andy Hyman drawings inspired Terence Kearns to send along 10 hockey drawings he did back in high school. I’ve grouped them into a slideshow here. … Hadyn Green uploaded the new Super 14 rugby jerseys here. “They’ve got some interesting details, like the embossed print on the front. And this is the first year they have official away jerseys. You might like the socks too.” … Reprinted from last night’s comments: Plaxico is having an effect on merch policy.

109 comments to It’s in the Bag

• LI Phil | December 3, 2008 at 9:01 am |

[quote] As a 49ers fan, I find this pretty damn scary (blame Todd Davis).[/quote]

don’t stop believin’

• Geeman | December 3, 2008 at 9:02 am |

Sweet uniforms for Vermont.

• Zack | December 3, 2008 at 9:05 am |

• Dane | December 3, 2008 at 9:08 am |

Check this out — you can build your own paper model of Wrigley Field!

Yeah, but where do you put the hockey rink?

• Joe Hilseberg | December 3, 2008 at 9:10 am |

I soooooo want to be a Asst. Equipment Director…how do you go about getting that job?

• =bg= | December 3, 2008 at 9:12 am |

• Original Jim | December 3, 2008 at 9:13 am |

Not quite Wrigley Field…when you open up the pdf file, the famous red sign on the outside reads “Wriley Field”.

oops…

• scott | December 3, 2008 at 9:26 am |

• Glen | December 3, 2008 at 9:28 am |
  • JTH | December 3, 2008 at 9:30 am |

Yeah, but where do you put the hockey rink?[/quote]
    I just want to know where the fold-out men’s room troughs are.

• MPowers1634 | December 3, 2008 at 9:31 am |

[quote comment=”303266″]Sweet uniforms for Vermont.

• BigO | December 3, 2008 at 9:33 am |

• Teebz | December 3, 2008 at 9:50 am |

[quote comment=”303267″]You have Denis changing to 39 in the AHL but I believe the picture has him wearing 29.[/quote]

It’s helpful if you read rather than skim.

“The funny thing is, no other player was assigned No. 30 and Denis switched to No. 39 with the Admirals after that first game. Perhaps he felt No. 30 was just his NHL number.”

• Beardface | December 3, 2008 at 9:56 am |

Interesting that the Princeton Rays spokesman would describe the team’s new trim color as “Carolina blue”… I thought the TB Rays took extreme caution to avoid that, especially considering arguably the most famous team in their farm system (arguably more famous than the Rays themselves) is located in Durham, NC, home of the Duke Blue Devils…

• LI Phil | December 3, 2008 at 10:09 am |

[quote comment=”303275″][quote comment=”303266″]Sweet uniforms for Vermont.

the ord, nebraska (high school) team nickname is the chanticleers…

/just sayin’

• JTH | December 3, 2008 at 10:10 am |

• MPowers1634 | December 3, 2008 at 10:10 am |

the ord, nebraska (high school) team nickname is the chanticleers…

/just sayin'[/quote]

Dammit, Phil!

• The Ol Goaler | December 3, 2008 at 10:30 am |

• DJ | December 3, 2008 at 10:31 am |

They’ll be doing it like Australia (on the left-hand side of their jersey, the Australians have the national coat of arms; on the right, the Wallaby logo with the Southern Cross).

• Eddie | December 3, 2008 at 10:33 am |

[quote comment=”303270″]I recall when..I think it was Webvan..went out of biz..they had to take the Webvan logo off of every..single..cupholder..on..every single seat here @ PacBell/SBC/AT&T/Your Name Here Park. It took forever to do. Good luck with that and Citi/Name of Bank That Will Buy It-Field.[/quote]

It happened to Citizens Bank Park, which opened in 2004 (Which used this http://www.massacade... as their logo” logo then, then in 2005 Citizens Bank changed their logo to this http://www.reba.net/... ) so they had to change all the signs, cupholders and everything for that as well.

• Geeman | December 3, 2008 at 10:36 am |

Why is that a bad thing? Since a catamount is basically the same thing as a cougar or wildcat (close enough, at least), would it be better if some of the myriad teams with those nicknames change to Catamounts?[/quote]

• MPowers1634 | December 3, 2008 at 10:40 am |

[quote comment=”303283″]As long as we’re talking about unusual nicknames, Arkansas high schools have a rich tradition of the same… there’s the Lonoke Jackrabbits (who used to have a script “Rabbits” on the sides of their helmets, but no longer, alas!), the Alma Airedales (in the green and gold), and the Cave City Cavemen…[/quote]

Don’t let this guy hear about it:

BTW, I’m sure that we’ve discussed this, but how far are you from Wynne and Forrest City?

• Jason Hillyer | December 3, 2008 at 10:42 am |

Mr. Snell has had his hands full with Slaton this year. Slaton’s right side helmet decal was peeling at the end of the Texans vs. Browns game on 11/23. (I sent Paul my feeble attempt at a screen grab pic that, alas, did not make the Ticker the following Monday. Sorry, I don’t know how to include it here.)

I bet Snell and his ilk have good stories about certain players who always just seem predisposed to equipment issues and oddities.

• Kevin M. | December 3, 2008 at 10:44 am |

I think it would be great if the Cave City Cavemen used this as their logo/mascot.

• MPowers1634 | December 3, 2008 at 10:44 am |

[quote comment=”303286″][quote comment=”303281″][quote comment=”303266″]Alas, Western Carolina is still the only football playing Division I school in the country with the name Catamounts.[/quote]

No, it’s a great thing. The Catamount is a great nickname and mascot. A catamount is a mountain cat indigenous to the mountains of Western North Carolina. Some of them are [/quote]

Speaking of mountain cats and COUGARS, I borrowed “The Graduate” yesterday. Ima watch it as soon as I’m done with Season 2 of “Dexter”.

• Geeman | December 3, 2008 at 10:47 am |

No, it’s a great thing. The Catamount is a great nickname and mascot. A catamount is a mountain cat indigenous to the mountains of Western North Carolina. Some of them are rather tame.[/quote]

• u2-horn | December 3, 2008 at 10:49 am |

Preston Pearson’s alma mater:

• Lwiedy | December 3, 2008 at 10:50 am |

[quote comment=”303276″][quote comment=\”303272\”]Gotta love the Appalachian League… I wonder if Princeton waited a year to officially change its name and uniforms so that there would be hand-me downs from Tampa Bay.[/quote]

The hand me down is a possibility. Didn’t Paul say at one point that the TB Rays were going to get new Road uni’s in 2009. The the 2008 road uni’s had the RAYS on them to help with the rebranding.[/quote]

Those days are pretty much over. Perhaps they could get BP tops but the gamers would most likely be new. With game-use items at an absolute premium it’s a better bottom line decision to sell the big league stuff and just buy sets for all the minor leaguers. I know the Class A club (Vero Beach) had exactly the same style of the big club (from 2007) but they were made by Rawlings. Clubs like to spread some business around to the non-licensed manufactures as well.

When the P-Rays take the field, look to see the number placement on the back. If it is high enough not to be able to put a last name on the back, then it’s new. They are not going to renumber a jersey just because of odd positioning.

• Lwiedy | December 3, 2008 at 10:52 am |

Get your 1972 NFL Sonoco stamp fix here: http://search.ebay.c...

• JTH | December 3, 2008 at 10:52 am |

Ah, the “alas” part led me to believe that you viewed this as a negative.

Anyway shame on me for skipping over the first part of your comment:
    [quote]Sweet uniforms for Vermont.[/quote]Yes, those are really nice-looking — a rare example of green & gold done right.

• Dan from PC | December 3, 2008 at 10:52 am |

Whenever mascot names come up, I need to throw my hat into the ring. I love my alma mater Providence College’s mascot the Friars. It’s not your run of the mill Wildcats, Tigers, Cardinals, etc. As far as I know, we are the only D-I school with that nickname. I also love our school colors of black, silver and white, which are also somewhat unique.

• Jim BC | December 3, 2008 at 10:55 am |

[quote comment=”303282″][quote comment=”303280″][quote comment=”303275″][quote comment=”303266″]Sweet uniforms for Vermont.

the ord, nebraska (high school) team nickname is the chanticleers…

/just sayin'[/quote]

Dammit, Phil![/quote]
    Are we allowed to still say that?

• Stan aka The Took | December 3, 2008 at 11:04 am |

the ord, nebraska (high school) team nickname is the chanticleers…

/just sayin'[/quote]

Well the U. of Vermont brought back the design from the 70’s when the team last played… they are in fact NOT a Division 1 team or any division they are a Club team… thats the amazing thing about that article they get little money and 50 of these guys still come out and play.

• LI Phil | December 3, 2008 at 11:04 am |

• Stan aka The Took | December 3, 2008 at 11:07 am |

[quote comment=”303298″][quote comment=”303280″][quote comment=”303275″][quote comment=”303266″]Sweet uniforms for Vermont.

the ord, nebraska (high school) team nickname is the chanticleers…

/just sayin'[/quote]

Like I told Paul I want to find that room in the Athletics dept. and run into that stuff.[/quote]

My friend goes to U. of Vermont and when I visited her we saw these guys play (college football is college football even if they’re playing semi-pro teams) and those uniforms look awesome in person.

• Paul Lukas | December 3, 2008 at 11:08 am |

Today’s ESPN column is up:

• Stan aka The Took | December 3, 2008 at 11:10 am |

U. of Vermont uniforms in action.

• JTH | December 3, 2008 at 11:11 am |

[quote comment=”303299″]i can’t tell who manufacturers those unis[/quote]
    And that’s another great thing about them…

• Kevin M. | December 3, 2008 at 11:12 am |

[quote comment=”303301″]Today’s ESPN column is up:

Anyone else getting a Myspave favicon with ESPN today?

• jon | December 3, 2008 at 11:16 am |

• Mark K | December 3, 2008 at 11:26 am |

• LI Phil | December 3, 2008 at 11:30 am |

[quote comment=”303304″][quote comment=”303301″]Today’s ESPN column is up:

Anyone else getting a Myspave favicon with ESPN today?[/quote]

i can’t even access page 2…either thru paul’s link or by going through the main page…

anyone else having trouble?

• Jim MI | December 3, 2008 at 11:32 am |

Anyone else getting a Myspave favicon with ESPN today?[/quote]

anyone else having trouble?[/quote]

I just read the article thru Paul’s link. No trouble here…

• chance | December 3, 2008 at 11:35 am |

He’s not making new items, but re-selling old ones in a slightly edited form.

If they could stop him, they could shut down eBay sales as well.

• JTH | December 3, 2008 at 11:39 am |

Anyone else getting a Myspave favicon with ESPN today?[/quote]

anyone else having trouble?[/quote]

I just read the article thru Paul’s link. No trouble here…[/quote]
    I got in, but IE crashed after a few minutes. I went in again and it was OK.

• JTH | December 3, 2008 at 11:42 am |

All this talk about how great the Vermont football unis look, and then they have to go out and do this to the basketball unis.

• Jim MI | December 3, 2008 at 11:42 am |

that NJ Devils bag was beyond awesome…

• Lwiedy | December 3, 2008 at 11:49 am |

[quote comment=”303310″][quote comment=”303306″]Those finisher bags sure are sweet but I’m surprised the leagues haven’t come down on them for selling unlicensed gear. Especially the NFL. They can be real pricks.[/quote]
    He’s not making new items, but re-selling old ones in a slightly edited form.

If they could stop him, they could shut down eBay sales as well.[/quote]

Yeah, this came up some time back. There was some debate whether you could make something with that logoed fabric they sell in stores and in turn sell your creation. IIRC, one of our legal experts gave it the o-k-do-k.

• Rob Brown | December 3, 2008 at 12:04 pm |

• Taha | December 3, 2008 at 12:08 pm |

The Texans equipment guy mentions being worried about people noticing Slaton’s decal. he should REALLY worry about those God-awful all-red unis. My retinas are still trying to recover!

• Taha | December 3, 2008 at 12:11 pm |

Yeah, but where do you put the hockey rink?[/quote]
    I just want to know where the fold-out men’s room troughs are.[/quote]

so you can do this?

• Stan aka The Took | December 3, 2008 at 12:17 pm |

Yeah, but where do you put the hockey rink?[/quote]
    I just want to know where the fold-out men’s room troughs are.[/quote]

so you can do this?[/quote]

I just gagged.
    ———
    Those U of Vermont uniforms might be from some local place. I knew the background of it when I saw them place but not the full details and such.

• MPowers1634 | December 3, 2008 at 12:18 pm |

[quote comment=”303311″][quote comment=”303308″][quote comment=”303307″][quote comment=”303304″][quote comment=”303301″]Today’s ESPN column is up:

Anyone else getting a Myspave favicon with ESPN today?[/quote]

anyone else having trouble?[/quote]

I just read the article thru Paul’s link. No trouble here…[/quote]
    I got in, but IE crashed after a few minutes. I went in again and it was OK.[/quote]

Mine worked fine, however the embedded link to the eye black didn’t show me this:

• JTH | December 3, 2008 at 12:19 pm |

Yeah, but where do you put the hockey rink?[/quote]
    I just want to know where the fold-out men’s room troughs are.[/quote]

so you can do this?[/quote]
    Nice…

…but that ain’t Wrigley.

• LI Phil | December 3, 2008 at 12:24 pm |

Yeah, but where do you put the hockey rink?[/quote]
    I just want to know where the fold-out men’s room troughs are.[/quote]

so you can do this?[/quote]
    Nice…

…but that ain’t Wrigley.[/quote]

cub fans would never do that

• JTH | December 3, 2008 at 12:27 pm |

Yeah, but where do you put the hockey rink?[/quote]
    I just want to know where the fold-out men’s room troughs are.[/quote]

so you can do this?[/quote]
    Nice…

…but that ain’t Wrigley.[/quote]

cub fans would never do that[/quote]
    *sigh*

• Pretty Boy Paulie | December 3, 2008 at 12:34 pm |

Those finisher bags are, as we youngins say, “HOT TO DEf!” But why ruin an effin sweet starter jacket?!?!?!?!?!

That black Bulls jacket is MARVELOUS!!!! Why in the hell would destroy such beauty?!?!?!?!?!

• Pretty Boy Paulie | December 3, 2008 at 12:36 pm |

[quote comment=”303322″][quote comment=”303321″][quote comment=”303320″][quote comment=”303317″][quote comment=”303274″][quote comment=”303268″]Check this out — you can build your own paper model of Wrigley Field!

Yeah, but where do you put the hockey rink?[/quote]
    I just want to know where the fold-out men’s room troughs are.[/quote]

so you can do this?[/quote]
    Nice…

…but that ain’t Wrigley.[/quote]

cub fans would never do that[/quote]
    *sigh*[/quote]

C’mon we all know the drunken frat boy crowd that dominates the attendance at sacred Wrigley is much more conservative than that…………………..somebody really needs to get this sarcasm tag thing fixed.

• Kek | December 3, 2008 at 12:37 pm |

• David | December 3, 2008 at 12:39 pm |

Actually, the WVU athletic department has been thinking about this for a while, and WVU fans have been asking for it. This Saturday’s “White Out” is meant to honor Pat White, as well as the rest of the senior class.

• Mike Engle | December 3, 2008 at 12:44 pm |

• orlandor | December 3, 2008 at 12:53 pm |

• LI Phil | December 3, 2008 at 12:58 pm |

[quote comment=”303328″]http://www.scottsdalecc.edu/athletics/

How about the inditimdating mascot of Scottsdale Community College??? The Fighting Artichokes!!![/quote]

and oh so proud are they of their nickname: the ‘chokes

• Stuby | December 3, 2008 at 12:58 pm |

Miami (OH) vs Buffalo, entirely red vs blue in honor of Election Day 2008. Only the Miami helmets were white. Miami: white helmets on top of red jerseys and red pants. Buffalo: blue helmets, blue jerseys, and blue pants.[/quote]
    Oklahoma v. Chattanooga earlier this year:

• ScottyJ in WV | December 3, 2008 at 1:05 pm |

It’s not meant to copy anyone; instead, it’s to pay tribute to a very successful senior class and one of the best Mountaineers ever.[/quote]

He knew that, David. He’s a sPitt fan. He can’t help being like that…

• ScottyJ in WV | December 3, 2008 at 1:06 pm |

[quote comment=”303272″]Gotta love the Appalachian League… I wonder if Princeton waited a year to officially change its name and uniforms so that there would be hand-me downs from Tampa Bay.[/quote]

Scott, you don’t know how true your statement just might be….

• dgc | December 3, 2008 at 1:07 pm |

Speaking of Christmas gifts, I’m amused by the NHL shop’s commercial where a family of Rangers fans gives the son wearing a Flyers jersey a shovel and assorted yard equipment.

• Kek | December 3, 2008 at 1:19 pm |

[quote comment=”303331″][quote comment=”303326″][quote comment=”303305″]great so now both of pitt’s rivals hold white-outs at home. way to copy state penn, wvu. guess two straight brawl losses have you searching for a way to win. hail to pitt![/quote]

He knew that, David. He’s a sPitt fan. He can’t help being like that…

For the record, that’s a great reason to have a “white out” (a term I loathe). Honoring arguably your best player in history in such a unique fashion is fantastic. Hats off to South Florida for allowing WVU to proceed with that as well. Coach Leavitt seems to be a classy and stand-up guy.[/quote]
    If they want to honor Pat White, they should bring out the all-yellow kit they choked it up in during last year’s brawl

• Mark K | December 3, 2008 at 1:52 pm |

• Matt | December 3, 2008 at 1:55 pm |

• Jim MI | December 3, 2008 at 2:28 pm |

Old school NJ Devils

• MPowers1634 | December 3, 2008 at 2:28 pm |

[quote comment=”303337″]Just a thought… when the Hornets where the New Orleans Bucs throwbacks, how cool would it be if the Bobcats wore Charlotte Hornets throwbacks?[/quote]

It wouldn’t be nearly as confusing as this game last year:

• Geeman | December 3, 2008 at 2:46 pm |

[quote comment=”303299″][quote comment=”303295″][quote comment=”303286″]Sweet uniforms for Vermont.[/quote]Yes, those are really nice-looking — a rare example of green & gold done right.[/quote]

it doesn’t hurt that the helmet and pants stripes match beautifully, and the pant stripes are…well…real stripes, not some nike/UA/rbk piece of geometric shit (and i can’t tell who manufacturers those unis, i meant the general trend those makers employ to ruin traditional striping)[/quote]

I was just thinking that when I saw your post. Quite right. The reason it came up is because I noticed the other day when they played that LSU’s pant stripes have five stripes and don’t match the three-stipe action on the helmet and jerseys.

Same with U. Miami’s weird designs not matching what’s on the helmet.

To follow up on the posts the other day — if you look at Vermont’s stripes, and make one of those green stripes navy blue, you have the 1970s Notre Dame basketball striping. (Can’t find any pics.)

Add purple and it’s the Hornets from last year.

It’s a clean, classic, colorful look. Reminds me of some of the Navy-Marine Corps ribbons of blue, gold, and red (the colors of those services).

• Geeman | December 3, 2008 at 2:48 pm |
  • Mark K | December 3, 2008 at 2:59 pm |

[quote comment=”303338″][quote comment=”303336″]I’m having a brain cramp- what team is the green with orange/white NHL duffel from?[/quote]

Old school NJ Devils

They used to have green in their unis until 92-93 when they switched to what they have now.[/quote]

ok makes sense- the pic makes the red look orange. My friend had some green Devils stuff back then.

• Bopper | December 3, 2008 at 3:12 pm |

• Beardface | December 3, 2008 at 3:24 pm |

I think USC in the White, and Penn State in the Blue, both with rose bowl patches, would make the most beautiful college game ever played.[/quote]
    You know… except for the Citi logos on the Rose Bowl patches…

• Mike Edgerly | December 3, 2008 at 3:38 pm |

Oklahoma v. Chattanooga earlier this year:

Don’t forget FSU vs. Chattanooga too!

• joe | December 3, 2008 at 3:38 pm |

Yeah, but where do you put the hockey rink?[/quote]
    I just want to know where the fold-out men’s room troughs are.[/quote]

so you can do this?[/quote]
    except that is not wrigley field, that clips been misnamed for years.

• Bopper | December 3, 2008 at 3:40 pm |

[quote comment=”303344″][quote comment=”303343″]So I guess if Pete Carroll is willing to give up two timeouts to wear USC’s Red uniforms against UCLA, that they wont chose the White’s for the Rose Bowl Game?

You know… except for the Citi logos on the Rose Bowl patches…

Kind of cheapens the look when you have a bankrupt bank sponsoring the event with money they received from the government who obtained that from the taxpayers 100,000 of whom already paid $1K or more to be at the game.[/quote]

It is what it is… As a fan of Penn State, the Rose Bowl only comes along once in a while… if you have to deal with a little coporate sponsorship, so be it, i’m willing to deal.

If I could, yes, I’d get rid of the sponsors names and logo being all over these games. I refuse to call it the Chik-Fil-A Bowl… its the Peach Bowl, and always will be. Same goes for the Citrus, and the Tangerine…

• MV | December 3, 2008 at 3:44 pm |

I love to see new minor league baseball uniforms debut, however the Tin Caps have let me down. The team name is a stretch, the font is children’s book-esque, and now they have gone with the dreaded red and green color combination. There is nothing worse than red and green uniforms…just ask Michael Redd…

• Rob Brown | December 3, 2008 at 4:20 pm |

[quote comment=”303315″]Here is an obscure question for someone. In the mid-1980’s the Southern Miss Golden Eagles football team were rewarded with “pride” stickers of an eagle. This would have been in the years just before Brett Favre played or maybe his freshman year. Is there anyone out there in Uniwatch land who might know what this eagle looked like? And as a secondary question, what about any pictures of the football team in the 1985-1988 years (other than the Brett Favre ones which are easily found). More specifically, pictures of the team in Black jersey’s with white pants.[/quote]

gonna go ahead and bump this down to bottom, I knew it was probably a long shot.

• Nathan | December 3, 2008 at 4:27 pm |

[quote comment=”303345″][quote comment=”303330″][quote comment=”303327″][quote comment=”303325″]Does anyone know off the top of their head how many “no-white” games have taken place this year in college football. I have an email discussion going on regarding USC/UCLA and I was wondering if any could help with examples?[/quote]
    Oklahoma v. Chattanooga earlier this year:

Don’t forget FSU vs. Chattanooga too!

Now that is ugly.

• warren thompson | December 3, 2008 at 4:42 pm |

[quote comment=”303275″]And Coastal Carolina is the Chanticleers. I highly doubt that there are any other schools with that nickname.[/quote]

I seem to remember that at one time Rutgers teams were known as the Chanticleers. Apparently, that wasn’t sufficiently threatening to inspire dread in their opponents.

• warren thompson | December 3, 2008 at 5:43 pm |

Thanks, Paul, for taking care of my mistake.

• LI Phil | December 3, 2008 at 5:46 pm |

[quote comment=”303354″]Thanks, Paul, for taking care of my mistake.[/quote]

welcome ;)

• andre | December 3, 2008 at 5:51 pm |

For a second looking at that math test, I thought it was sponsored by Nike.

I almost lost it, then just realized it wasn’t a real swoosh.

• KevinW | December 3, 2008 at 6:26 pm |

dude, I want that fighting artichokes shirt BAD.

• Mr. Daniel | December 3, 2008 at 6:58 pm |

As an educator I think advertising on the tests is an amazing idea. I wish I would have thought of that. I have spent so much money on copies because our budget wont cover it. I am going to steal his idea and tell my co workers.
    We need something to fix our budget. LAUSD is bad. Teachers have it bad.

• George | December 3, 2008 at 7:05 pm |

Speaking of Pitt, hoops team is wearing all gold at home against Duquesne tonight.

• Will L. | December 3, 2008 at 7:34 pm |

Uni-related article on nfl.com this evening

• LarenR | December 3, 2008 at 7:47 pm |

• =bg= | December 3, 2008 at 8:30 pm |

Thanks to eBay, got one of those Sunoco NFL72 albums today, unopened and sealed- with stamps. Not a bad price, either. Gonna be a Christmas present, fer shure.

• LI Phil | December 3, 2008 at 8:31 pm |

not like that matters against the hoosiers tho

• LarenR | December 3, 2008 at 8:52 pm |

not like that matters against the hoosiers tho[/quote]
    Well, no. WF should win by 30. But imagine a razor-close Madness game where a team gets an extra point because their shoe bottom is the same color as the three point line.

• LarenR | December 3, 2008 at 8:54 pm |

not like that matters against the hoosiers tho[/quote]

We always talk about “Look better, feel better; feel better, play better,” but this is an example of a seemingly purely aesthetic choice potentially having a direct impact on a competition. Power to the Uni Watchers![/quote]

• The Hemogoblin | December 3, 2008 at 9:04 pm |

not like that matters against the hoosiers tho[/quote]

Is this a new opportunity for Nike at UO? Custom shoes to match the floor markings at whatever arena is hosting the game? Hmmm…[/quote]

• LarenR | December 3, 2008 at 9:09 pm |

[quote comment=”303366″][quote comment=”303365″][quote comment=”303364″][quote comment=”303363″][quote comment=”303361″]Wake Forrest player just turned a three-pointer into a two because of, according to the announcer, his shoes: “If they don’t have the black [which contrasts with the white three point line] around the [sole of the] tennis shoes in the front he might get away with that.”[/quote]

not like that matters against the hoosiers tho[/quote]

They could do an all-clear bottom of the shoe. Then it they would look just like the new arena… neither appearing to have a sole… or soul.[/quote]
    Click!

• JTH | December 3, 2008 at 9:29 pm |

[quote comment=”303366″]
    Clear, eh? I think the Demon Deacons still would have won by double digits tonight if they had all been wearing these.

• Steve | December 3, 2008 at 10:19 pm |

Pics of Pitt in gold unis for the first time in years…

• Dylan | December 3, 2008 at 11:29 pm |

look at the notes section on the bottom,

• The Hemogoblin | December 3, 2008 at 11:32 pm |

[quote comment=”303369″]Pics of Pitt in gold unis for the first time in years…

Those need to find a dark closet and stay there.

• LarenR | December 3, 2008 at 11:45 pm |

[quote comment=”303370″]http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/recap?gid=2008120314

look at the notes section on the bottom,
    i don’t think it would be called logo creep, but the alfredson/spezza/heatley line being named after a promotion needs some kind of negative term. it’s not okay[/quote]

• Nick | December 3, 2008 at 11:54 pm |

UTC vs OKLA

They wore that jersey against Oklahoma in an early season road game, where the Sooners wore their home Maroon jerseys, which should qualify as a color vs. color jersey game.

I’d love to know Where UTC gets their uniforms, as many others, including the New Orleans Saints, should use that shade of Old Gold.

MORE TEAMS SHOULD WEAR THEM …

ich yellow (sometimes called “Athletic Gold”) jerseys, as well as true Old Gold jerseys, look pretty good on many teams. Old Gold looks particularly good when worn outdoors. I always thought that the Saints should have worn Old Gold jerseys, particularly for road games outdoors when the home team wears White.

Imagine the Saints in true Old Gold helmets and jerseys, with White Pants. That would look great !!! How about LSU with Rich Yellow jerseys WITH THE REAL UCLA STRIPING (!!!), with regular yellow helmets and white pants.

The problem in recent years are that Nike/Russell/etc. no longer offers true Old Gold uniforms, and instead has forced Gold wearing teams to dress instead in “Vegas Gold”, which is 3/4ths closer to White than Old Gold. The result is that “Vegas Gold” can not be worn as a dark jersey. I consider that color to be the equivilent of weakened Cat Piss.

• Nick | December 3, 2008 at 11:59 pm |

I don’t have what you are looking for, but I vividly remember Brett Favre’s first game for Southern Miss where he lit up Tulane for a decisive win in Hattiesburg.

The USM Eagles wore great true Old Gold jerseys that day, Brett Farve was probably a frshman. Towards the end of his career the USM uniform almost eliminated the Gold from it altogther, being pretty much an austere Black & White outfit with maybe a gold stripe or decal on the helmet.

• LI Phil | December 4, 2008 at 12:00 am |

[quote comment=”303325″]The University of Tenn. – Chattanooga football team wears a very dark Old Gold that is the best color Old Gold jerseys that I have seen in years.[/quote]

this?

• jon | December 4, 2008 at 12:09 am |

[quote comment=”303371″][quote comment=”303369″]Pics of Pitt in gold unis for the first time in years…

Those need to find a dark closet and stay there.[/quote]

speaking as a pitt student… we missed the mark with those. but just barely. make the white “pitt” and numbers blue, like on our home unis, and trim them black and white and those would look sweeeeeeet as alternates…

football team got it right:

(thats the best pic i could find)

if they did that with the moniker and the numbers i’d say we’d have a successful first bball alt set in years.

• Terri | December 4, 2008 at 12:13 am |

Teebz,
    Don’t know if you’re out there this late, but I caught the blog today and really liked it. As a Stars fan, I hated the decision to sign Avery. He hurts the game, and he doesn’t belong in an organization of Mike Modano, Brendam Morrow, and Marty Turco. Go down the roster and everyone’s classy. Avery doesn’t fit.

• Mike Engle | December 4, 2008 at 3:05 am |

[quote comment=”303372″][quote comment=”303370″]http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/recap?gid=2008120314

look at the notes section on the bottom,
    How about promo creep? Same term could apply to the Sharks “Black Armor” 3rd jerseys (there is no promotional logo creep, but the jerseys are a tie in to the Seagate Black Armor hard drive).[/quote]
    And the Texans’ “Battle Reds.” Apparently once Coca-Cola “themed,” now associated with Halliburton, IIRC.