Land of 1000 Laeks

Picture 5.png

Looks like we’re gonna have to give an honorary Uni Watch membership to former MLB player Denny Hocking. While watching Friday night’s Twins/Angels game, he noticed something that almost everyone else missed, namely that Twinkies shortstop Adam Everett had a big typo on his jersey. According to this article, Hocking sent a text message to the visiting clubhouse attendants at Angel Stadium, who in turn notified Minnesota equipment manager Rod McCormick. He had a new jersey waiting for Everett as he came off the field after the 4th inning, so Everett played the rest of the game with a correctly spelled insignia.

Too bad Hocking was such a spoilsport. Wouldn’t it have been better if he’d kept quiet about the typo, just to see if anyone on the field would have noticed? Or would that have poor uni-watching etiquette for someone in his position (i.e., a former player with the ability to notify the proper authorities, as opposed to just a random observer)? And what if Everett had, say, hit a homer his first time up and superstitiously refused to change jerseys once the typo was discovered? Would McCormick have insisted that he change jerseys anyway, just for professionalism’s sake?

It’s worth noting, incidentally, that not all typos are created equal. In this case, the severity was magnified by the fact that the Twins use vertically arched lettering on their insignia, so the mis-sequenced letters disrupted the curvature of the arch, as you can clearly see here and here. All the more surprising, then, that nobody noticed the mistake before Hocking did.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Short article here about Habs coach Guy Carbonneau’s neckties (with thanks to Dan Smith). … Check this out: soccer stirrups! (Thanks to Ryan Yanoshak.) … Reprinted from Friday’s comments: What’s with all the cover-up tape in these photos? For the answer, look here. … Cool gallery of SMU helmets here. … Did you know U.S. soliders have had “uniform envy” regarding the Marine Corps? I didn’t, until Matt Locatelli sent me this. … The Hornets have a new court to go along with their new uniforms (with thanks to Mike Etheridge). … Non-sports logo news from Jon Springer, who reports that Giant Foods has gotten a brand makeover. … Chaz Noerenberg notes that Kyle Orton has been alternating between loose cuffs and tight cuffs during the preseason, and also points out that Kevin Jones had a new take on the double-socked look the other night. … Good article here about track athletes wearing jewelry. … Another uni-related treat from the SI archives: The 4/9/56 issue featured a bunch of uni illustrations for the coming season, as seen here, here, here, and here (with thanks to Jim Cooper). … “I was at the August 14th Mets/Nats game at Nationals Park,” writes John Muir. “Almost every hallway and open space has some sort of old-time DC baseball photo/painting/advert. I managed to grab a few shots on my way out after the game — they’re in this gallery.” … Also from John: Some ex-NHLers are circumventing the smoking bans at various arenas. … My annual college football season-preview column will run later this week on ESPN, but it will only cover Division I-A, so I’ll cover a few smaller schools here, including Idaho State. Last year they dressed like this and home and like this on the road. But now they’ve got new home jerseys, road jerseys, and pants. New helmets, too: That’s the old one on the right and the new one on the left (big thanks to Frank Mercogliano for all of this). … Reprinted from Saturday’s comments: Several Eagles linemen have reinforced horizontal ribbing on their shoulders, similar to what the Bears have had for several years now. … The Mets did the Hispanic thing on Friday night. … The Blue Jays’ black-jersey insignia usually looks like this (note the blue outline, which actually has a black border, but that blends into the surrounding jersey, so you can’t see it), but Jose Bautista’s insignia had a white outline on Saturday. Michael Priest and Hovan Patey both report that third base coach Nick Leyva has had similar problems this season. … Great collection of old hockey programs here (no need to click — they’ll start flashing automatically; with thanks to Mario Morgado). … Here’s something I’d never seen before: soccer positions listed on shorts (with thanks to Kel Hinkle). … Several readers have noted that Vikings RB Adrian Peterson changed his facemask from this to this on Saturday. For additional details, check out the discussion that ensued in last night’s comments (driven primarily by Matt Powers) here. … Jeff Ash has uploaded some really nice illustrations from this book, which he says taught him how to play baseball when he was a kid. You can see a slideshow of the illos here. … Informative video clip here on Oregon’s equipment room. … Several uni-related items in the new issue of GQ, including a short item on longtime Uni Watch faves No Mas, a “Please redesign the Ravens’ helmet” feature (look here, here, and here), and a stunningly inaccurate Cowboys illustration (with thanks to Matt Powers for the scans). … What the hell was going on with Bob Lily’s armpad? … Here’s a rare color view of the Chargers’ “San Diego All America City” helmet crest from the early ’60s. … The Giants never wore white shoes with their original “ny”-logo helmet. But Spider Lockhart apparently did a bit of footwear freelancing.

128 comments to Land of 1000 Laeks

• Joe Hilseberg | August 25, 2008 at 9:26 am |

“a “Please redesign the Ravens’ helmet” feature (look here, here, and here)”

• Frank | August 25, 2008 at 9:27 am |

Non-uni, but UW relevant…

I saw this weekend on a reciept a new logo for Giant food, I was hoping for this was a typo, alas. The G logo has been around forever, to change that to this non-descript logo is a blight.

• Kevin in Boston | August 25, 2008 at 9:29 am |

Any chance Giant Foods owns or is owned by Stop and Shop Grocery Store?

• teamcinnamon | August 25, 2008 at 9:30 am |

Last night Ryan Howard changed jerseys mid-game after making a diving catch that thoroughly soiled the original one.

• MPowers1634 | August 25, 2008 at 9:33 am |

I was thoroughly underwhelmed by the Ravens designs as well.

Coming from someone who gets excited being allowed into the stockroom at Foot Locker, that video of Oregon’s Equipment room was AWESOME!!!!
    I would LOVE to be involved with that!

• RS Rogers | August 25, 2008 at 9:34 am |

All that effort to fix a typo on a Twins jersey, and yet they’re still wearing blue jerseys that don’t remotely resemble the darker blue of their caps. I’d rather they wore jerseys that said MINNESTOA but matched their caps than jerseys that spell the state name right but clash with their caps like plaid and stripes.

• Richard Bruns | August 25, 2008 at 9:36 am |

I don’t know who that soccer team is with FULLBACK on their butts but I kind’ve wonder if it’s the name of a company and just a really bad placement of their logo.

• Anthony Verna | August 25, 2008 at 9:39 am |

What’s with all the duct tape in China?

The Chinese officials are blocking out all brands that aren’t official Olympic sponsors.

• Rick | August 25, 2008 at 9:42 am |

– A soccer team generally only has 2 fullback (if they even get that moniker); and there are 3 visible in this picture alone.

• Robert | August 25, 2008 at 9:43 am |

• Steve | August 25, 2008 at 9:45 am |

Any chance Giant Foods owns or is owned by Stop and Shop Grocery Store?[/quote]
    According to http://en.wikipedia....:

• Jet | August 25, 2008 at 9:46 am |

-Jet

• Steve | August 25, 2008 at 9:47 am |

Hard to tell in the illustration, but did the Reds use a crotch extension in the 50s?

The end of the jersey doesn’t look flat like the other jerseys.

• u2-horn | August 25, 2008 at 9:54 am |

Those Cowboys roads from Lilly’s era are beatuiful. Wish they’d go back to those.

• Mark M | August 25, 2008 at 10:09 am |

I’d noticed the new Giant food logo at their self-scanning stations already. It is harmless enough. The G logo was showing its age and not in a timeless classic way. The new one won’t last long but is harmless enough.

The same day I saw the new logo I had a uni-watch moment. The person working the deli had on a cap with GIANT across the front. I noticed that it was actually the font that another Giant food store operating in the area uses. I declined to embarrass her while advertising my uni-geekness.

• chance | August 25, 2008 at 10:13 am |

Are you kidding me? I feel embarrassed to be a graphic designer if those examples are really how the so-called “leaders” in my profession feel.[/quote]

Yet two of them are overwhelmingly better than the current helmet.

• The Rob | August 25, 2008 at 10:15 am |

• Ricko | August 25, 2008 at 10:20 am |

-Jet[/quote]

• chance | August 25, 2008 at 10:22 am |

Love those SI graphics, but check out the patch on the Orioles jersey.

That’s the primary logo, but I don’t think they ever wore it as a sleeve patch. Dressed to the Nines shows them as wearing the bird-head patch – a mistake or change aborted at the last minute?

• chance | August 25, 2008 at 10:25 am |

I don’t know if they are mass-produced.

• scott | August 25, 2008 at 10:26 am |

Any chance Giant Foods owns or is owned by Stop and Shop Grocery Store?[/quote]
    According to http://en.wikipedia....:
    “In 2004, Giant-Landover merged with sister company Stop & Shop to create Stop & Shop/Giant-Landover, which itself a subsidiary of Netherlands-based Royal Ahold.”[/quote]

• War Damn Eagle | August 25, 2008 at 10:27 am |

The mens and womens 4x400m relay teams for the US wore predominantly red unis for the finals, after wearing the standard navy unis for the prelims.

• Kim | August 25, 2008 at 10:30 am |

[quote comment=”286000″]I’m pretty sure ‘Fullback’ on the soccer uniforms is not the position they play:
    – The uniform numbers of the players are 9, 10 and 11. These are generally worn by forwards and strikers. There may be some crossover of numbers to the defensive side of the field, but three in one team seems a bit much.[/quote]

I think ‘Fullback’ is some sort of uniform sponsor.

And I wouldn’t call what the Mets did ‘the Hispanic thing’ I’d call it ‘the lame-cheap-ass NBA-like Hispanic thing by putting Los on your jersey.’

• Paul Lukas | August 25, 2008 at 10:32 am |

I don’t know if they are mass-produced.

On-field NFL jerseys aren’t made by the manufacturer but by a small shop in small-town Wisconsin and then customized to each player’s personal specs by club personnel. We know that each team has a seamstress who attaches names and numbers – wouldn’t surprise me if they also did the front of the jersey.[/quote]

The team does NOT do the front of the jersey. Majestic does that.

• Wade Harder | August 25, 2008 at 10:37 am |

Paul, don’t you mean that your column will only cover FBS teams? Because we all know that there’s no such thing as Division I-A anymore (/sarcasm). By the way, your upcoming column is the one I anticipate most every year. It’s what got me pointed to your blog.

• LI Phil | August 25, 2008 at 10:40 am |

stripes and plaids clash?

• Jim MI | August 25, 2008 at 10:44 am |

[quote comment=”286017″]stripes and plaids clash?[/quote]

I heard they go great with a brown belt and black shoes.

• Ricko | August 25, 2008 at 10:47 am |

[quote comment=”286017″]stripes and plaids clash?[/quote]

Re-thinking today’s work ensemble, LI Phil?

—Ricko

• LI Phil | August 25, 2008 at 10:58 am |

[quote comment=”286019″][quote comment=”286017″]stripes and plaids clash?[/quote]

Re-thinking today’s work ensemble, LI Phil?

—Ricko[/quote]

lol…nah…since it’s the last week of summer, it’s still ‘dress-down’ (thank god, since our A/C sucks)…so im wearing a purple polo shirt with off-white slacks…

actually…the query was in response to the last sentence of post #6

/i bet marty has worn that (stripes & plaids) combo tho…;)

• Jeff | August 25, 2008 at 10:58 am |

Hornets have a new court. Woo hoo.

Still waiting for a court as eye-catching as the classic Robert Indiana-designed floor at the old Milwaukee Arena, as seen on my Uni Watch membership card.

Hard to believe it has been 30 years since they rolled it out.

• interlockingtc | August 25, 2008 at 11:01 am |

I really like those Ravens helmet concepts.

The third one, the silhouetted raven in flight, is brilliant, and should be adopted immediately.

• Joe Hilseberg | August 25, 2008 at 11:01 am |

Yet two of them are overwhelmingly better than the current helmet.[/quote]

I’m dying to know which 2 are better, and why.

• LI Phil | August 25, 2008 at 11:08 am |

[quote comment=”286023″][quote comment=”286007″][quote comment=”285992″]”a “Please redesign the Ravens’ helmet” feature (look here, here, and here)”

Yet two of them are overwhelmingly better than the current helmet.[/quote]

I’m dying to know which 2 are better, and why.[/quote]

what?

no love for the glowing eyes and feathers???

methinks the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] botton is broken again

• Robert | August 25, 2008 at 11:12 am |

Yet two of them are overwhelmingly better than the current helmet.[/quote]

• Robert | August 25, 2008 at 11:18 am |

-Jet[/quote]

Glad someone found those. I was thinking ’54 or ’55, but was ’56, I see. Even better. Get a look at those new sleeveles Cincinnati rigs.[/quote]

• Robert | August 25, 2008 at 11:21 am |

-Jet[/quote]

The Reds wore those uniforms (or it may have been the road version) during a turn-back-the-clock night in the early 1990s. The team looked so good in them, and I think that it was the favorable response that inspired them (at least in part) to bring back the vests a short time later.[/quote]

I found a card showing that TBTC uniform. Yummy.

• Paul Lukas | August 25, 2008 at 11:23 am |

[quote comment=”286016″]Paul, don’t you mean that your column will only cover FBS teams?[/quote]

• Seamus | August 25, 2008 at 11:25 am |

• The Rob | August 25, 2008 at 11:26 am |

I don’t know if they are mass-produced.

The team does NOT do the front of the jersey. Majestic does that.[/quote]

And that is the mystery. How can it happen to just the 1 jersey?

• LI Phil | August 25, 2008 at 11:28 am |

I used to where my soccer cleats in that manner. And then I learned to tie my own shoes.[/quote]

excellent point…but…

check out the dude in the background

• Wally1912 | August 25, 2008 at 11:29 am |

Check out the Army’s official page about the new uniform.

• Robert | August 25, 2008 at 11:34 am |

[quote comment=”286032″][quote comment=”286001″]I enjoyed the article on the Army uniforms, but having been spoiled by Uni Watch, the lack of photos left me wanting.[/quote]

Check out the Army’s official page about the new uniform.

Thanks. Though I generally do not like green, I have to say that I much preferred the green Army uniform. It just seems right that they wear green. Leave blue to the Navy and Marines.

• MPowers1634 | August 25, 2008 at 11:40 am |

[quote comment=”286021″]Hornets have a new court. Woo hoo.

Hard to believe it has been 30 years since they rolled it out.[/quote]

That court is Very Cool…great idea for a membership card!

• Stan aka The Took | August 25, 2008 at 11:49 am |

[quote comment=”286012″][quote comment=”286002″][quote comment=”285994″]RE: … Non-sports logo news from Jon Springer, who reports that Giant Foods has gotten a brand makeover.

Any chance Giant Foods owns or is owned by Stop and Shop Grocery Store?[/quote]
    According to http://en.wikipedia....:

Occasionally some Giant products end up, probably by accident, on the shelves of my local Stop & Shop.[/quote]

Ahaha mine too I always get confused.

• david house | August 25, 2008 at 11:59 am |

no love for me apparently…

• marc | August 25, 2008 at 12:00 pm |

that “the mets” jersey sure looked… pander-riffic. why didn’t the patch say “los mets” or “la shea stadium?” hell, they shoulda had the hat say “los NY.” it would’ve made just as much sense.

• MPowers1634 | August 25, 2008 at 12:03 pm |

[quote comment=”286036″]no love for me apparently…[/quote]

I tried…I tried… I gave you all the credit for noticing Peterson’s facemask and making the initial postings Saturday and Sunday!

• Ricko | August 25, 2008 at 12:42 pm |

-Jet[/quote]

I found a card showing that TBTC uniform. Yummy.

re: Game show in card photo…

Shoulda been a red or gray hat with that uni (either ’56 or ’57 cuz of stirrups).

’56, red hat home and road, striped stirrups.
    ’57, white hat home, gray hat road; striped stirrups.

• Teebz | August 25, 2008 at 12:55 pm |

I don’t know if they are mass-produced.

The team does NOT do the front of the jersey. Majestic does that.[/quote]

And that is the mystery. How can it happen to just the 1 jersey?[/quote]

We can attribute it to human error. Sometimes, people get into tunnel vision when doing work, and the monotony of the job catches up to them. This is where errors occur.

My guess is that someone was doing a huge batch of Minnesota jerseys that day, and mistakenly put the T before the O, and then threw it into the “completed” pile without checking his/her own work.

Since the QA pickers only use a few jerseys from a pile to test the quality assurance, it just happened to get missed.

… or so says the CCM/Rbk Hockey guy I know.

• Teebz | August 25, 2008 at 12:57 pm |

[quote comment=”286041″]
    On a completely unrelated matter, someone was busy building the Scottrade Center in St. Louis out of Legos.[/quote]

Let’s try that link again.

• Jeff Rinker | August 25, 2008 at 1:00 pm |

Quickie about Cubs’ Road Uni w/”Cubs” in script, rather than “Chicago” they currently wear, for those interested…

Cubs Mailbag

Towards the bottom…

• Jeff Rinker | August 25, 2008 at 1:05 pm |

Cubs Mailbag

Towards the bottom…[/quote]

Here’s the link:

• Frank from B-more | August 25, 2008 at 1:14 pm |

As a Ravens fan I have always prescribed to the less in more camp when it comes to the helmet, my suggestion is to go with a logo we already have, the B that is on the pants. Big gold B outlined in purple (sorry Paul but it is one of our colors) on a black helmet. Simple and effective.

• Robert | August 25, 2008 at 1:20 pm |

[quote comment=”286039″][quote comment=”286027″][quote comment=”286026″][quote comment=”286009″][quote comment=”286003″]I’m loving those 1956 Sports Illustrated baseball uni illustrations. Man, that’s the kind of thing that I would have been staring at for hours as a kid

-Jet[/quote]

I found a card showing that TBTC uniform. Yummy.

re: Game show in card photo…

’56, red hat home and road, striped stirrups.
    ’57, white hat home, gray hat road; striped stirrups.
    ’58, pins added to home unis and socks plain, no longer striped. Hats white with pins home, gray road.[/quote]

I believe that the hat is gray. It looks sort of white at first glance, but closer scrutiny leads me to believe that it’s gray.

• Robert | August 25, 2008 at 1:22 pm |

You make a good point. I guess that I like the green because it’s all that I had seen for a long time.

What happened to the khaki uniforms that were in all of the WWII movies?

• Jim McCue | August 25, 2008 at 1:27 pm |

Apologies if this was brought up over the weekend in comments.

Has anyone heard or read if the Raiders were planning any kind of uniform tribute for Gene Upshaw or if the NFL is planning a uni tribute? It would be interesting to see how the Raiders’ home blacks would accommodate any kind of black memorial band.

I can’t find any word of tributes at Raiders or NFL websites.

• Stuby | August 25, 2008 at 1:28 pm |

[quote comment=”286047″][quote comment=”286045″]As a Soldier, I really look forward to the move to the blues. The blues are designed off an original Continental Army uni and have some historical backing (fauxback). The greens were developed in the 50s when the Army wanted to look like a business, and developed a business suit for a uniform. Blues look like a military uni (IMHO).[/quote]

What happened to the khaki uniforms that were in all of the WWII movies?[/quote]
    Lets hope they have improved the comfort as well as the look. Those light green shirts of the 80s-90s felt like you had a cheese grater rubbing against your neck.

• MPowers1634 | August 25, 2008 at 1:30 pm |

Check this out:
    Someone at New Era should be fired!

Also, take a look at this Spike Lee Inspired Yankees 5950, which has all of the years in which the Yankees won the World Series embroidered in pennants.

I actually liked it, when I saw it in Champs sports, especially since they were having a 30% off sale this weekend. However look at the price:

• MPowers1634 | August 25, 2008 at 1:32 pm |

[quote comment=\”286050\”]Check this out:
    Someone at New Era should be fired!

I didnt realize but on the back of the Joker 5950, is embroidered, \”Lets Put a Smile On That Face\”!

• cathy | August 25, 2008 at 1:36 pm |

excellent point…but…

check out the dude in the background

unless the ‘tongue’ goes up the back of the heel as well…i think we could 100% say those are, indeed, soccer stirrups[/quote]

• LI Phil | August 25, 2008 at 1:39 pm |

[quote comment=”286050″]Check this out:
    Someone at New Era should be fired!

the joker lid is not nearly as egregious as the spike lee hat, which borders on blasphemy…and whom amongst us would pay $60 for a cap?

• Mr. Met | August 25, 2008 at 1:43 pm |

[quote comment=”286053″]at least the joker lid doesn’t make a mockery of a team’s color scheme, a la that grape monstrosity they also hawk[/quote]

Wow. Just……wow. Who comes up with these things? I mean, my kids can throw shit at the wall and get the same effect. And yet they don’t get paychecks for their “ideas”. Maybe I’m in the wrong line of work.

• Frank from B-more | August 25, 2008 at 1:48 pm |

The khakis were probably the best but became a victim of the move to the greens. I know some guys wanted to return to them, but with the short jacket (ike jacket), not everyone would look good in it (waistline issues)
    The shirts have definitely gotten better since the 80s, but we will see what happens with the new shirt.

• Fleeser | August 25, 2008 at 2:25 pm |

Yet two of them are overwhelmingly better than the current helmet.[/quote]

I rather like the bird-foot and the silhouette. On the latter, I would not go with that shade of purple though.[/quote]

I love the Ravens’ helmets.

• scott | August 25, 2008 at 2:37 pm |

Connecticut Defenders wore Santurce uniforms the other day:

• Kevin from Ohio in Virginia | August 25, 2008 at 2:49 pm |

• Ricko | August 25, 2008 at 2:50 pm |

[quote comment=”286056″][quote comment=”286025″][quote comment=”286007″][quote comment=”285992″]”a “Please redesign the Ravens’ helmet” feature (look here, here, and here)”

Yet two of them are overwhelmingly better than the current helmet.[/quote]

I love the Ravens’ helmets.[/quote]

In terms of being true to the era during which Baltimore’s Poe created his famous poem, the original Ravens’ helmet logo (the winged shield bearing a “B”) was far, far superior to the semi-Woody Woodpecker image of today. It was a nicely appropriate marriage of “spooky old house” and “NFL helmet logo”. I actually even liked their initial uniforms (black helmet-purple jersey-black pants with white striped socks)…just cuz, despite my aversion to all-dark, they did suit “Ravens”…and a were a clear departure from the Browns.

Though static, the original logo was a so ornate in a classic way that it made for, I thought, one of better helmets in the league. Unfortunately, the team may have “appropriated” the logo from an unsolicited fan design and, rather that pay money to keep it (no matter how old-fashioned perfect it was), ownership decided to opt for “cartoon bird.” *

All in all, a shame.

—Rick

* I’m sure that story has been documented here at one time or another.

• chance | August 25, 2008 at 3:00 pm |

Yet two of them are overwhelmingly better than the current helmet.[/quote]

Those are the two. Not that the designs are perfect – as you mention, the colors need work, but even in their rough form they’re better than ol’ Heckle.

• Ricko | August 25, 2008 at 3:00 pm |

Background on Ravens helmet logo.
    (jeez, even they call the winner “Heckle & Jeckle”.

—Rick

• chance | August 25, 2008 at 3:05 pm |

[quote comment=”286059″]

All in all, a shame.

—Rick

* I’m sure that story has been documented here at one time or another.[/quote]

Why they didn’t just work out a deal to buy his design, I’ll never know.

• Christopher | August 25, 2008 at 3:09 pm |

I don’t know if they are mass-produced.

The team does NOT do the front of the jersey. Majestic does that.[/quote]

That must mean they’re done by hand? A machine wouldn’t make a mistake like that, would it?

If they are done by hand- that amazes me!

• Rick | August 25, 2008 at 3:13 pm |

[quote comment=”286052″][quote comment=”286031″][quote comment=”286029″]I would bet money that in the “Soccer Stirrups” picture, the white is actually the extended tonge of the shoe. Check out adidas’ Copa Mundials, the tongue is generally folded over the knot in the laces. When not folded over, you can get the “Soccer Stirrup” effect when viewed from the front.

excellent point…but…

check out the dude in the background

When I was REALLY young and started playing soccer I know for a fact that we were issued stirrups. They were blue with gold stripes. Now, this was the seventies (’75 or so) so the whole soccer thing was new to our area (Wash DC) and the youth club probably just gave us leftover baseball stirrups. I have a picture in a trunk I’ll dig out.[/quote]

Copa Mundial’s do have the rare white inside to the tongue…. but they were introduced somewhere in the 70’s, I think. I wouldn’t even expect these shoes to have a tongue that folds over the knot of the laces.

Actually I remember playing some German youth teams back in the late 80s or early 90s who these ‘soccer stirrups’. Shocked me then: I lived 10 miles from the border and had never seen anything like it, but in Germany just about every team seemed to have them.

Did some digging: they still have them!
    And they even have the swooshified version.
    And Three-striped:

• Curtis | August 25, 2008 at 3:15 pm |

Check out this redeem team jersey, he didn’t even play for them

• The Rob | August 25, 2008 at 3:23 pm |

[quote comment=”286041″][quote comment=”286030″][quote comment=”286015″][quote comment=”286011″][quote comment=”286008″]How does the Minestoa thing happen? It is not like they have a high school intern putting the names on before each game. These are mass produced and you would think they were QA’d. And has this player been wearing this jersey all season, or did he just get a new one? Sorry, but I am an engineer and we are compulsive in finding stuff like this out.[/quote]

I don’t know if they are mass-produced.

The team does NOT do the front of the jersey. Majestic does that.[/quote]

And that is the mystery. How can it happen to just the 1 jersey?[/quote]

… or so says the CCM/Rbk Hockey guy I know.

Thanks. I assumed these things are automated and that it could not happen one off.

• Teebz | August 25, 2008 at 3:27 pm |

[quote comment=”286063″]

If they are done by hand- that amazes me![/quote]

I can’t say for certain, but the CCM guys says that it occurs on some of their jerseys because the names have to be centered and aligned by hand to ensure that the names and nameplates on the rear of the jerseys are sewn on in the right spot and not misaligned.

He just assumed the names on the front of ball jerseys would be similar.

• Teebz | August 25, 2008 at 3:30 pm |

[quote comment=”286067″][quote comment=”286063″]

If they are done by hand- that amazes me![/quote]

He just assumed the names on the front of ball jerseys would be similar.[/quote]

Kinda like this “oops”.

• Rick | August 25, 2008 at 3:40 pm |

I never was a big fan of the original Ravens “winged shield” logo, but I do like how they transformed the shield into the current shoulder patch logo with more of the Maryland flag in it. I am actually a fan of the “Gene Simmons” raven’s head logo with the bird facing front, but I don’t think that would look to good on a helmet. I like the current logo because its shape fits the helmet perfectly and has that forward motion look.

• Ricko | August 25, 2008 at 3:40 pm |

• Teebz | August 25, 2008 at 3:40 pm |

I’m not sure how no one caught this, but Minnesota is the Land of 10,000 Lakes… not 1000.

Unless that was an intended error to go along with the Laeks?

• Ricko | August 25, 2008 at 3:44 pm |

Ever wish you could back in time a see one game–just one game–in each of those parks on a perfect summer day? I sure do.

—Ricko

• Ricko | August 25, 2008 at 3:47 pm |

YanKEE Stadim (damn, I hope y’all realize that was type.
    —Ricko[/quote]

• lwiedy | August 25, 2008 at 4:04 pm |

YanKEE Stadim (damn, I hope y’all realize that was type.
    —Ricko[/quote][/quote]

• Mike D | August 25, 2008 at 4:09 pm |

Fans of the Portuguese soccer club Benfica have set up a thread in one of their fan forums to have fans design and vote for the the 2009/2010 jerseys. They even have jersey templates anyone can upload and design themselves, then submit it in the thread to show it off. The top 3 most voted jerseys will then be submitted to Benfica’s marketing departing (apparently there is someone on the forum that works for Benfica and has connections with the marketing department, and will forward this project to them).

Anyways, there are a ton of interesting designs for next seasons jerseys (home, away, and third) already submitted. I know it’s a long shot, but hopefully Adidas takes some of these fan creations and make them come to life.

Here’s the link if anyone’s interested in checking it out:

• Fleeser | August 25, 2008 at 4:11 pm |

YanKEE Stadim (damn, I hope y’all realize that was type.
    —Ricko[/quote][/quote]

At least you didn’t say “THE Yankee Stadium”…nails on a blackboard (or is it chalkboard, oh, that was a discussion for last week).[/quote]

• LI Phil | August 25, 2008 at 4:12 pm |

YanKEE Stadim (damn, I hope y’all realize that was type.
    —Ricko[/quote][/quote]

i think i would have liked to have seen a game in ebbets field more than any other, but the pre-1973 yankeeS stadium (with the monuments and flag pole) in play may have been the coolest…also, crosley field with the terrace (guess where the stro’s got the idea for…what is it, ‘tag’s (tal’s??) hill’ or whatever the FCK it’s called)…and of course, the polo grounds must have been a trip

many many of the old parks, sadly, only exist in black and white photos (and of course, ricko’s memory, as he’s either been to them or seen them)…i have several books on the old parks, and bookmarks of many other great ballpark sites on the web…after unis, the old stadia are another baseball obsession of mine

————————-

as far as chalkboard/blackboard…

it’s BLACKBOARD

• Ricko | August 25, 2008 at 4:14 pm |

Several copies available, this is least expensive.
    Tempted, I am.

• Robert | August 25, 2008 at 4:18 pm |

[quote comment=”286076″][quote comment=”286074″][quote comment=”286073″][quote comment=”286072″]Wrigley, Fenway and Yankees Stadium (although technically it has been remodelled since 1956) the only three still around. After this year, will only two.

YanKEE Stadim (damn, I hope y’all realize that was type.
    —Ricko[/quote][/quote]

Reminds me of ESPN (specifically Stuart Scott) constantly referring to the Palace of Auburn Hills as the Palace AT Auburn Hills. It bothers me so much.[/quote]

Along those same lines, way too many people (including at least one of the team’s announcers) refers to Rangers Ballpark in Arlington as “Rangers Ballpark at Arlington.” It sounds bad and drives me bonkers.

It sounded even worse when the place was named the Ballpark in Arlington. How can anyone think that “the Ballpark at Arlington” sounds right?

• lwiedy | August 25, 2008 at 4:23 pm |

Related, many speak of the last baseball game at the old stadium (vs. Detroit) but what was the last football game (before they tore down the real YS and put up blue aluminum siding everywhere in 1976)?

• joe | August 25, 2008 at 4:28 pm |

I don’t know if they are mass-produced.

The team does NOT do the front of the jersey. Majestic does that.[/quote]

And that is the mystery. How can it happen to just the 1 jersey?[/quote]

… or so says the CCM/Rbk Hockey guy I know.

Washington still has a uniform with the upside down “I” on the road uni, I was watching it all weekend against the Cubs.

• LI Phil | August 25, 2008 at 4:29 pm |

you’re not talking about a tie, are you?

• Mike D | August 25, 2008 at 4:32 pm |

Great link. It’s amazing how deep the fences were back then. It says Joe Adeoek is the only player to hit a homerun into the CF bleachers at the Polo Grounds. Considering CF was 483ft away, that must have been a 500ft+ shot!

Anyways, I wonder what today’s players would think of those fence distances?

• LI Phil | August 25, 2008 at 4:37 pm |

[quote comment=”286083″][quote comment=”286070″]those SI 1956 unis, in context, on p. 86 here…diagrams of all big league ballparks on following pages. Really cool stuff.

Anyways, I wonder what today’s players would think of those fence distances?[/quote]

polo grounds had F*CKED up dimensions…true…centerfield was a shot…but the left and right field porches were a joke…so there were many cheapies that went, and many deep shots the say hey kid tracked down

check it out

graphically

• Jeremy | August 25, 2008 at 4:41 pm |

—Ricko[/quote]

Yankee Stadium was actually remodeled in 1976.

• LI Phil | August 25, 2008 at 4:44 pm |

[quote comment=”286085″][quote comment=”286072″]Wrigley, Fenway and Yankees Stadium (although technically it has been remodelled since 1956) the only three still around. After this year, will only two.

—Ricko[/quote]

Yankee Stadium was actually remodeled in 1976.[/quote]

actually…

it was remodeled between 1974 & 1975…it reopened in 1976

nice yankee stadium link

ricko meant it had been remodeled AFTER the sports illustrated article, which was 1956

• Ricko | August 25, 2008 at 4:48 pm |

[quote comment=”286080″]Spider may have been the first(?) to wear white but here are a couple shots from 1973 when the Giants were still in the old “NY” if not in Yankee Stadium

Don’t have answer, but here’s a little “Indiviudal Shoes” background…

WR Clifton McNeil wore white pumas for Giants about that time (have notes on all that kind of stuff at home). Have to check on year Lockhart first wore those white Riddells. Think was ’70. NFL didnt’ have “shoe standards” back then. You could see black shoes, white shoes and occasional colored shoes all on members of same team. Giants, for example, had most everyone in black, but Lockhart and McNeil in white; Ron Johnson, Pete Athas and Rocky Thompson (that his name, the kick returner?) in royal blue Pumas. Jets had Joe Namath, Don Maynard and Eddie Bell in white pumas, and a WR named Vernon Studdard wore kelly green Pumas (and no, don’t have photo, just have ny notes and a sketch based on what I watching on TV. Dick Gordon of the Bears wore white adidas.

Side note: Michigan RB Billy Taylor wore royal pumas that year because he’d worked out in offseason with Michigan alum Ron Johnson, and Johnson had given him a pair. THAT I do have a photo of (Taylor, I mean; from SI). You can see Johnson’s blue shoes in the History section at the G-Men website (click on the 70’s).

• lwiedy | August 25, 2008 at 4:52 pm |

you’re not talking about a tie, are you?

btw…interesting shots of THE yankee stadium as it was configured to host football[/quote]

Yes, I guess techically it was the Giants last non-overtime tie.

I was looking for a program from the game and stumbled on this:

The cover says Palmer Stadium. I didn’t realize the Giants played at Princeton (albeit pre-season)

• lwiedy | August 25, 2008 at 5:04 pm |

you’re not talking about a tie, are you?

Phil, here is a good slideshow from the last game:

If you look closely, you can see hashmarks left from the week before.

• LI Phil | August 25, 2008 at 5:15 pm |

[quote comment=”286089″][quote comment=”286082″][quote comment=”286080″]Something happened in that game that only has happened twice since then to the G-men.[/quote]

you’re not talking about a tie, are you?

Phil, here is a good slideshow from the last game:

If you look closely, you can see hashmarks left from the week before.[/quote]

OMG larry…THAT’S the site i was looking for oh…two months ago when jay (shaftman) was looking for yankee stadium shots with the monuments and flagpole…(or, if not the site, damn close)…i never did find it…HOLY SHIT!!!

it is now safely bookmarked…SCHWEEEEEEEETTTTTT

and yeah…i dig the hash

marks

• Jonee | August 25, 2008 at 5:22 pm |

[quote comment=”286058″]Having seen the pictures in the 200 level at Nationals Park, which are mostly old baseball cards placed together in a collage format (of which there are three or four different wall-sized collages), I’m shocked by how many of the players on cards labeled “Washington” are wearing the mustard and brown San Diego uniform. There must’ve been a large trade involving those guys, or multiple trades, or something.[/quote]

Before Ray Kroc bought the Padres in ’74, the were all set to move to D.C. This was rumored to be such a done deal, that Topps made cards for the non-existent Washington team.

• Claude Jacques | August 25, 2008 at 7:49 pm |

From Wikipedia:

“Before the 1974 season began, the Padres were on the verge of being sold to Joseph Danzansky, who was planning to move the franchise to Washington, D.C. by the beginning of the 1974 season. People were so convinced the transfer would happen that new uniforms were designed. Even the baseball card companies were fooled. About half of the Padres’ player cards printed by Topps that season displayed “Washington National League” as the team name. But C. Arnholt Smith changed his mind, and instead sold the Padres to McDonald’s’ co-founder Ray Kroc, who was not interested in moving the team and kept the team in San Diego.”

The “Washington Padres” cards were eventually corrected.

• jere | August 25, 2008 at 7:55 pm |

There were plenty of other terraces. Duffy’s Cliff for one.

• LI Phil | August 25, 2008 at 8:20 pm |

[quote comment=”286093″][quote comment=”286077″].also, crosley field with the terrace (guess where the stro’s got the idea for…what is it, ‘tag’s (tal’s??) hill’ or whatever the FCK it’s called)[/quote]

There were plenty of other terraces. Duffy’s Cliff for one.[/quote]

from our friends at wiki:

In contrast to the ease of hitting a home run to the Crawford Boxes, it is quite difficult to hit a ball out in center field. Fielding is a challenge there as well, due to the 90-foot (27 m) wide, 30-degree incline grade, known as Tal’s Hill, for team president Tal Smith, an element taken from Crosley Field and other historic ballparks (in a bit of gallows humor, the hill is also known as the “Grassy Knoll”), and the flagpole in play, an element taken from Yankee Stadium (before its remodeling in the mid-’70s) and Tiger Stadium among others. Milwaukee Brewers player Richie Sexson once hit a ball off the flagpole and there is still a mark there. The difference is that the Crosley Field “terrace”, which was half as steep at 15-degrees, was necessitated by the difference in elevation between field level and street level, while Tal’s Hill is purely decorative.

true that there were other ‘terraces,’ but the one in crosley was obviously the most famous…also i like the flag pole in play, the obvious nod to yankee & tiger stadia

duffy’s cliff, OTOH, was removed in 1934, while the crosley field terrace remained a feature of the ballpark basically throughout it’s entirety…

• Wyatt | August 25, 2008 at 8:53 pm |

I don’t know if it’s every player, but in the Chargers-Seahawks game on right now, at least a few of the chargers players are wearing jerseys like those Giants’ ones that we saw on here earlier this summer (the ones that Joe Skiba sent pics of).

If I can get a grab at some point, I’ll try to post it up here.

• BS | August 25, 2008 at 8:58 pm |

A Minnesota Twins blog (Twinkie Town, part of the SB Nation blogs) has the main subject of today’s entry as a side item on their site. Here’s the link:
    I put in a plug for UW in the comments, so you don’t have to feel the urge to do so.
    UW was also mentioned in a comment on a related side item: http://www.twinkieto...
    Paul: If you haven’t already visited the Mets’ SB Nation blog here’s the link: http://www.amazinave...
    Everyone else: find your team’s blog here: http://www.sbnation....
    The network of sites will be down at 11PM PT (2AM ET) tonight though.

• who cares | August 25, 2008 at 8:58 pm |

• Johnny O | August 25, 2008 at 9:11 pm |

YanKEE Stadim (damn, I hope y’all realize that was type.
    —Ricko[/quote][/quote]

It bothers me immensely when the ESPN anchors refer to the packer training facility as “St. Norberts College” (it should be St. Norbert College, my alma mater) in the city of “De Pear”, Wisconsin instead of De Pere, (pronounced like “deep-here”)

But oh well… what can you do?

• LI Phil | August 25, 2008 at 9:26 pm |

thanks for posting that…of course, i don’t think i saw about 1/3rd of those sports televised…very cool pix

/what’s with the german chick? is she takin a piss off the side of her 49er?

• Jordan | August 25, 2008 at 9:35 pm |

Nice.

Could have done without the German sailor chick taking a whiz and the puke photo, but the Greek water polo boob was an added bonus.

• =bg= | August 25, 2008 at 9:37 pm |

As a Cowboys fan from back when they were the Doomsday Defense (has their ever been a better nickname?)..it’s…….

Bob Lilly (not Lily.)

PS- watching Hawks @ Chargers. Wouldn’t Seattle look better splitting up the white and blue? IE white top/blue pants..or blue top/white pants? I always thought they look like blueberries.

• Jordan | August 25, 2008 at 9:37 pm |

[quote comment=”286099″][quote comment=”286097″]Here’s a series of photos from the Olympics of athletes in mid-action. Pretty freaky stuff.

/what’s with the german chick? is she takin a piss off the side of her 49er?[/quote]

Yep. In the droop hike harness on a Yngling. Best place I suppose, as the boat’s transom is pretty fine.

• oilfan | August 25, 2008 at 9:46 pm |

• LI Phil | August 25, 2008 at 9:54 pm |

[quote comment=”286103″]Just saw Donald Young taking a Sharpie and coloring out the swoosh on the bill of his cap at the US Open – I’m sure that the extra swoosh was probably verboten for the ATP or the USTA. Anyone else catch this?[/quote]

yeah…but even more important awesome is james blake WEARING AN INTERLOCKING NY (and it aint the yankmee one) on his left shoulder

i tried for a SG, but my crappy cable provider doesn’t broadcast USA in HD, so we’ll have to wait for the professional pics on the net…

/always liked blake, but now he’s even more better

• =bg= | August 25, 2008 at 9:59 pm |

I THOUGHT that was what it was. Let me try for a grab.

• LI Phil | August 25, 2008 at 9:59 pm |

here’s DY with the sharpie on the cap

• Beno | August 25, 2008 at 9:59 pm |

I go to college in Quincy, MA, where Stop and Shop is headquartered, and I noticed on Saturday that they had replaced the old Stop and Shop logo on the building (it is a large building with the sign quite a ways up)and had replaced it with the new logo that’s on the link. Below that logo on the building it also has “Stop and Shop” as well as “Giant.” I was a bit confused when I saw it (try to make sense of that logo without knowing that is purposely vague), glad to have that cleared up.

• =bg= | August 25, 2008 at 10:04 pm |

Here we go- Blake with the NYM logo.

• LI Phil | August 25, 2008 at 10:06 pm |

[quote comment=”286108″]Here we go- Blake with the NYM logo.

thanks, =bg= :)

• =bg= | August 25, 2008 at 10:18 pm |

Windows Media Center with your cable TV hooked up to the PC. Can’t beat it.

• =bg= | August 25, 2008 at 11:06 pm |

One more of Blake:

And Tracy Austin looking SCARY. AAAAAAAAAAGH.

• NickB | August 25, 2008 at 11:09 pm |

it’s 10,000 lakes, not 1000

• LI Phil | August 25, 2008 at 11:12 pm |

[quote comment=”286111″]One more of Blake:

And Tracy Austin looking SCARY. AAAAAAAAAAGH.

yahoo’s had that pic of james up for like 2 hours…thought they’d have a ‘better’ shot of the ny by now…oh well

you wanna talk scary “unis”???

check out mats…i don’t think that suit was ever in, not in 1988, nor even now (but who knows these days…it prolly cost more than my car)…and what, no belt there mats?

• =bg= | August 26, 2008 at 12:03 am |

Suit or no, Wilander looks EXACTLY like he did when he played. Like he’s been in a vaccuum.

• Eric B in KC | August 26, 2008 at 12:31 am |

pro-keds was just reacquired by stride-rite and will be reintroducing their shoes later this year.

• Robb | August 26, 2008 at 2:03 am |

I have to say, I’m not a big fan of the Jaguars new pants stripe pattern

Both Reggie Bush and Aaron Stecker are wearing the new Schutt AirXP (same as Carson Palmer)

Thats just what I’ve noticed lately

• max | August 26, 2008 at 3:20 am |

I have to say i really liked the talon Ravens helmet. The silhouette and the Talons both kept the design simple which is being lost in modern sports. As a designer you should want to design something that is timeless yet effective… ala helvetica. The colts and steelers certainly haven’t thought about changing the logo… because its damn good. It doesn’t have to be in motion with a scowl to be a good logo.

If only the Texans could change that stupid bull now. PLEASE.

Adam Everett wasn’t going to hit a HR in that uniform Paul. He wouldn’t have taken it off if he could get a base hit though. I had to deal with his puny bat for years as a Houston fan.

• MPowers1634 | August 26, 2008 at 8:01 am |

Thats just what I’ve noticed lately[/quote]

Here’s a pic of Bush in the new XP:

You can tell from the enlarged vent hole on the crown!

• MPowers1634 | August 26, 2008 at 8:11 am |

[quote comment=”286118″][quote comment=”286116″]I have to say, I’m not a big fan of the Jaguars new pants stripe pattern

Thats just what I’ve noticed lately[/quote]

Here’s a pic of Bush in the new XP:

You can tell from the enlarged vent hole on the crown![/quote]

Here’s another:

• marc | August 26, 2008 at 11:15 am |

ditto! i’m a designer too and all three of those designs look like they came from someone who’s never seen a football helmet in context in their life.