Greetings From Omaha

100_1636

By Bryan Redemske

As Paul embarks upon a vacation in the great Northwest, I figured I’d keep the theme going with a quick snapshot or two of my own vacation … in Omaha.

While that sounds like fun on the level of dermabrasion with a cheese grater, it was actually a very interesting and relaxing three days. Plus, because gas is frickin’ ridiculous and we didn’t have much time, it was easier this way. Either way, at least I didn’t have to work. Plus, my kid got to pet a goat at the zoo.

Among the many items of note was an exhibit about Omaha baseball history in the Durham Western Heritage Museum, which is housed in Omaha’s former Union Station.

A good portion of the exhibit was dedicated to Bill Danze, who played for the Omaha’s Roberts Dairy Legion team in the 1940s, and was selected to play in the 1945 Esquire All-American Boys’ Ball Game at the Polo Grounds. He pitched six innings for manager Ty Cobb, and later played in the Braves farm system.

While those are indeed interesting tidbits — what kind of manager was Ty Cobb, I wonder? — the sleeve patch on Danze’s jersey is pretty cool, too. As you can see, it’s a gray flannel with blue piping and All American in red on the chest, along with the Esquire wordmark on the sleeve. But that patch! Since that logo is on the program, too, I have to believe it’s an old Esquire magazine logo of some sort. A completely haphazard bit of Googling didn’t find much, so if anybody knows, speak up.

Also included in the exhibit was a photo of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig taken during a 1927 barnstorming trip, as well as a number of other Legion-type shots.

One of the more interesting shots is here. It’s from the College World Series, as the caption states. What it doesn’t mention, however, is the gigantic glove. Who cares about the rest of the photo — what’s the deal with that?

Here’s a cool shot of an Omaha Cardinals program, and this must have been from crossing guard day at the ballpark.

Other than finding cool old uniforms, there’s something to be said about taking time to truly explore your surroundings. We’ve been here a little more than four years, but made our first visits to a lot of places in those few days. And, again, my kid got to pet a goat.

While Paul’s away … : I don’t think it was mentioned when it happened, but I don’t work at night anymore. So instead of sitting around all day and monitoring comments, downing a pot or two of coffee and playing PlayStation along the way, I’ll be working. While I’ll be able to keep track of things well enough, I’d just as soon not have to play hall monitor. So, to put it simply, don’t be jerks. I’m not too worried, but unfortunately it has to be said. If you are a jerk, however, I’ll probably just delete your comment and ban you for a few days. I don’t have time for that crap — and others shouldn’t have to be subjected to it. Good? Good. Let’s get on with it then, shall we?

Uni Watch News Ticker: Here’s something you don’t often see: an early shot of women’s high school football (with thanks to Laurence Brodeur. … “The Pottsville, Pennsylvania, area takes a lot of pride in its 1925 NFL championship team, although the title is not recognized by the NFL,” notes Morris Levin. …  Odd NOB for Austrian table tennis player Werner Schlager (courtesy of Jake Melbye). … Quite a bit of email feedback about Paul’s Nike conspiracy (or not) take in the Page 2 article yesterday. Most pointed out that Dwyane Wade isn’t wearing Nike either. Well, not directly, at least. Converse is owned by Nike. The paycheck comes from the same place. … Here is a bit of light shed on kineseo tape, which has been spotted all over the beach volleyball arena. Thanks to Brinke Guthrie for the tip. … There’s a bit of Nike magic happening here, with thanks to Nick Niedzwladek. … More Olympic NOB oddities on judo-er Henk Grol of the Netherlands. This is a standard judo NOB. Damn Dutch. (Good catch by Corey Davis) … Jake Peavy went high-pants for the Padres yesterday, as pointed out by Brian Hilemon. Cubs fans thank you, Jake Peavy. … Attention Hoosiers: A reader named Brett needs your help. “I was hoping you would have some explanation of the Indiana University Football uniforms, specifically the helmets.  During the Purdue game last year, Indiana wore throw-back uni’s to honor the 1968 Rose Bowl team.  They liked the helmet so much, they kept the double stripes with the current logo and wore it for the Insight Bowl game in Tempe.  Rumor has it that they might make it a permanent addition. Can you uncover this?” Well, I can’t uncover it, but I’m sure someone else has some insight. If you have any info, drop me a line and I’ll make sure Brett gets it. … What. The. Hell? Thanks to Ben Kmetz, I think. Ben was so interested in the mask, he dug deeper. According to next year’s NFHS rule book, that mask is illegal. Plastic shields will have to be clear. … Derek Baker thinks the rear design of Pakistan’s field hockey jerseys (they’re the guys in green) resembles a thong leotard. I see where he’s going with that, but’s not the first thing that crossed my mind. … Team USA with a tape crest in the soccer match against Nigeria. Good catch by Tim Conley. … Cool link here from Richard Stover about the Celtics’ new championship banner. … Stay out of the deep end when playing Italy in water polo (last pic in the gallery). Gee, thanks, Vince.

106 comments to Greetings From Omaha

• scott | August 15, 2008 at 8:12 am |

Jake Peavy?

• Mark in Shiga | August 15, 2008 at 8:16 am |

Regarding Werner Schlager’s ping-pong NOB: Quite a few of the ping-pong players have that last-name-plus-first-initial style. Today I saw Ai Fukuhara of Japan face Jia Liu of Austria and both of them were that way: FUKUHARA A. and LIU J.

• MPowers1634 | August 15, 2008 at 8:21 am |

Info for Indiana’s Helmets and unis:

Team Equipment and Apparel

Phone: 812-855-0553 (Assembly Hall)
    Fax: 812-856-5155 (Assembly Hall)
    Phone: 812-856-5984 (Memorial Stadium)
    Fax: 812-855-9321 (Memorial Stadium

• Greg | August 15, 2008 at 8:21 am |

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard about the Pottsville Maroons from my wife’s grandfather. The only way I’ve ever heard it is that the title was stolen from them. He’s lived there for most of his 90-some years, and still has newspaper clippings and such from that team. The topic definitely gets him all riled up still.

Fun fact:

Did you know that team moved and morphed over the years to become the Arizona Cardinals? Some say that’s the reason the Cardinals have been so bad for so long.

• Mark in Shiga | August 15, 2008 at 8:23 am |

• Taha | August 15, 2008 at 8:27 am |

OMG, it’s Jared Lorenzen!

• Dre | August 15, 2008 at 8:33 am |

Best Logo Creep ever!!!

• Rick White in Cedar Park, TX | August 15, 2008 at 8:41 am |

[quote comment=”284796″]OMG, it’s Jared Lorenzen![/quote]

Oh, come on. Jared is better looking that … that.

• Rick White in Cedar Park, TX | August 15, 2008 at 8:42 am |

[quote comment=”284798″][quote comment=”284796″]OMG, it’s Jared Lorenzen![/quote]

Oh, come on. Jared is better looking than … that.[/quote]

• Mike Engle | August 15, 2008 at 8:46 am |

[quote comment=”284791″]Jake Peavy?[/quote]

• jeff | August 15, 2008 at 8:58 am |

• Eriq Jaffe | August 15, 2008 at 9:04 am |

• Bryan Redemske | August 15, 2008 at 9:21 am |

[quote comment=”284800″][quote comment=”284791″]Jake Peavy?[/quote]
    Peavey is a brand of guitar amps. The pitcher’s name is PEAVY. Fix it when you can.[/quote]

Yes, sir! Can I get you anything to drink?

[quote comment=”284802″]Bryan, call me crazy, but I get the sneaking suspicion that the 1945 Esquire All-American Boys’ Ball Game was actually held at the Polo Grounds. ;)[/quote]

You’re nuts. Actually, it’s kind of funny — lots of conflicting sources on that one. But I’ll make it match the program.

• Original Jim | August 15, 2008 at 9:26 am |

I don’t know if this helps much, but here is a graphic I made of last year’s Indiana football uniforms…

It includes the special helmet worn in the bowl game, as well as the throwbacks celebrating the 1967 Rose Bowl.

• who cares | August 15, 2008 at 9:53 am |

I know there are a few Brewers fans out there and figured a few would appreciate this awesomeness. I don’t think I’d get the same effect with a Marlins logo.

• Charlie | August 15, 2008 at 10:06 am |

This guys got such a sweet name

• Ricko | August 15, 2008 at 10:20 am |

Oh, come on. Jared is better looking that … that.[/quote]

Nahhhh, that’s the legendary water poloist, Boog Pool.

• chance | August 15, 2008 at 10:26 am |

Exactly.

But he’s right that Pottsvillians are a little nutty about their “stolen” championship. They’ve even had their own trophy and rings made up.

• Ken | August 15, 2008 at 10:29 am |

That Esquire Magazine Mascot is named Esky.

• Ricko | August 15, 2008 at 10:32 am |

Franchise histories are intriguing. Arizona inherits the curse from St. Louis which inherited it from Chicago, which was, I guess, the original point…to explain why the Cardinals still suck.

Other than the Bidwells’ contribuiton to that suckiness, of course.

Speaking of franchise lineages…aren’t the Redskins a direct descendant of the Duluth Eskimos?

—Ricko

• Ken | August 15, 2008 at 10:33 am |

Here is an Esky statue:

Esky Statue

• Darren | August 15, 2008 at 10:40 am |

• Jeff Rinker | August 15, 2008 at 10:41 am |

[quote comment=”284795″]Speaking of Olympic uniforms, Canada’s baseball team looks classy as always. Korea, on the other hand, not so much. (Two swooshes? Numbers on the pants?) Massive side panels, and the numbers are a bit on the small side compared to the names.[/quote]

I count five swooshes – plus there’s at least two that are obscured (jersey, pants, helmet!?, gloves, shoes). Damn that’s ugly.

• brian harkless | August 15, 2008 at 10:45 am |

Obviously Penn State NEVER wore this on the field but it would be interesting if this is a real prototype from that godawful two tone sleeve year…

• brian harkless | August 15, 2008 at 10:46 am |

and here of course is the URL that I forgot to include…

• Greg | August 15, 2008 at 10:48 am |

• Randy Miller | August 15, 2008 at 10:50 am |

Yes, Esquire’s Esky was the symbol of the early Esquire, much as the iconic bunny represents Playboy,

Esquire was the precursor to Playboy in many ways, from its top-level fiction from the biggest authors of the time to its “gatefold” illustrations of beauties.

• marc | August 15, 2008 at 10:54 am |

[quote comment=”284797″]Best Logo Creep ever!!![/quote]

i can’t believe nobody has commented on this yet! wowzers!

• lwiedy | August 15, 2008 at 10:56 am |

[quote comment=”284811″][quote comment=”284801″]No, the Chicago Cardinals are the team that stole the title from Pottsville, thats why they are cursed. Pottsville beat the Cardinals head to head, then scheduled an exhibition game against Notre Dame in Philly. The Philly owner protested that Pottsville was infringing on their territorial rights, Pottsville played the game anyway. The NFL upheld the protest, stripped Pottsville of their title and awarded it to the Cardinals, who to this day refuse to give it back, hence the curse.[/quote]

Other than the Bidwells’ contribuiton to that suckiness, of course.

—Ricko[/quote]

There are several reasons why “direct decendant” wouldn’t quite fit.

From what I’ve read, the ’32 Boston club was a “new” franchise with many players coming from the defunct (as of 1930) Newark Tornados which previously was the Duluth club. Further distancing the franchise was the fact that none of the Newark players ever played for Boston. I guess it depends on what you consider a direct relationship.

Did a new franchise just get a large number of available players from a defunct franchise? That’s why the NFL starts the ‘Skins (nee Braves) in 1932.

• Rick White in Cedar Park, TX | August 15, 2008 at 11:00 am |

My bad…I knew it was tied in, but I had only seen it on SportsCenter once how the Cardinals tied in. My wife’s grandfather usually doesn’t use the team names, just refers to the other team and the league as “those bastards”, so it’s sometimes hard to keep straight.[/quote]

In 1922 the Cardinals were definitely in Chicago, but, in 1920 they were the Racine Cardinals. The team was organized in 1898 as the Morgan Athletic Club. In 1901 they were moved to Chicago’s Normal Park on Racine Drive and renamed the Racine Normals. They didn’t play between 1906 and 1913 because of lack of competition. The name Cardinals came from the color of uniforms that were bought, not the bird. Since they were first organized as a professional team in 1898, the Cardinals are the oldest existing professional football team in the country.

(Yeah, I’m in the middle of researching NFL history.)

• Bryan Redemske | August 15, 2008 at 11:02 am |

[quote comment=”284819″][quote comment=”284797″]Best Logo Creep ever!!![/quote]

i can’t believe nobody has commented on this yet! wowzers![/quote]

• lwiedy | August 15, 2008 at 11:02 am |

[quote comment=”284807″]This guys got such a sweet name

This guy’s name is the best pick-up line of all time. “Hi, I’m…..”

• Kerry P | August 15, 2008 at 11:06 am |

• Alex | August 15, 2008 at 11:09 am |

• who cares | August 15, 2008 at 11:09 am |

[quote comment=”284816″]and here of course is the URL that I forgot to include…

I can imagine myself at that Nike meeting.

New Guy: Kids today are enamored by shirts that are uniform except for a single thing out of place. If we could just do a jersey, say, with an off color sleeve it would be super awesome.

Me (in my head): Maybe we shouldn’t have taken New Guy out to smoke so much crack last night.

Boss Guy: Well New Guy, you are hip and I think your outfit is super cute. Excellent idea. Hey you, contact my tailor to have the left leg of my gray trousers switched with the left leg of my mauve trousers.

Me: Yes sir.

• Mr. Met | August 15, 2008 at 11:10 am |

[quote comment=”284819″][quote comment=”284797″]Best Logo Creep ever!!![/quote]

i can’t believe nobody has commented on this yet! wowzers![/quote]

Worst… tramp stamp… ever.

BTW does that even qualify as logo creep? I mean, it’s in plain view on her ass. Hardly trying to, you know, creep that logo in on us somewhere…

• Mr. Met | August 15, 2008 at 11:16 am |

[quote comment=”284822″][quote comment=”284819″][quote comment=”284797″]Best Logo Creep ever!!![/quote]

i can’t believe nobody has commented on this yet! wowzers![/quote]

There’s a reason for a lack of comments — we’re all mature enough to nod appreciatively and move on. Let this be the end of it.[/quote]

Amen, Bryan; I thought Paul addressed this a while back as well.

Plus, not to encourage anyone, but if you’re going to post something stupid like that, let’s try to avoid washboard asses, hmmmm?

• Hurnf | August 15, 2008 at 11:18 am |

• big matt | August 15, 2008 at 11:24 am |

The Indiana helmets that are for retail sale this year have the two white stripes, like the helmet the Hoosiers wore in the bowl game. I do believe that the stripes are there to stay.
    Has anyone heard about Indiana switching back to Nike after this season?

• Ricko | August 15, 2008 at 11:32 am |

(Yeah, I’m in the middle of researching NFL history.)[/quote]

Yeah, I guess “direct descendant” wasn’t quite right. Probably should have asked about a direct “lineage” to the Eskimos.

Shoot, when I started following the NBA it still had the Rochester Royals, Syracuse Nationals, Fort Wayne Pistons, Minneapolis Lakers (still a small market with no other major league franchises) and the Milwaukee Hawks (ditto) had recently moved to St. Louis. Only New York, Boston and Philadelphia were what you’d call major markets.

btw, let me just stay that—and this has nothing to do with liking the team or not—but always thought “Detroit Pistons” was absolutely, positively one of the great names in all of pro sports…combines the city with its major industry and also relates to the sport itself (“driving up and down the court”, etc., etc.).

And the real beauty is, they INHERITED it, it came with team from Fort Wayne. Pure serendipity.

Too bad that apparently no one in a position of power with the Oklahoma City franchise thinks with that kind of imagination and originality.

—Ricko

• muddlehead | August 15, 2008 at 11:39 am |

• Rick | August 15, 2008 at 11:41 am |

The story of the judo NOB:
    Apparently these things are stitched onto the jackets before the tournament. Problem was that Grol’s came back with his name misspelled. (How that could happen with a 4-letter name, while all these weird unpronouncable names of Kazachs and Mogolians appear to be alright is beyond me.) He wasn’t happy going for the gold with his name misspelled on the back, so he went for the make-shift solution.

• Paul P | August 15, 2008 at 11:47 am |

• Walaitis | August 15, 2008 at 11:51 am |

[quote comment=”284834″]so my question is, if soccer teams can’t wear national crests during olympic competion, why is the nigerian player wearing one on his jersey? http://d.yimg.com/a/...

So, MY question is, why would Adidas create a jersey where, when a typical soccer motion is made, the player looks like he’s advertising for Nike under his arm?

• Kevin M. | August 15, 2008 at 11:58 am |

Saw something on this yesterday. Basically the countries that wear the national crest are basically ignoring the IOC ruling and are subject to fines by the IOC. What those fines would be is anyones guess.

• who cares | August 15, 2008 at 11:59 am |

NFA badge isn’t what is on their chest. I think it’s a generic flag and state crest design.

• Rick White in Cedar Park, TX | August 15, 2008 at 12:05 pm |

[quote comment=”284832″]forgive me if this has come up and i missed it. anyone know what’s up with the clear plastic half face masks on defensive team in the little league softball world series?[/quote]

Sorry, but Little League World Series talk has been banned by Paul. The feeling is that the kids have way too much attention thrust upon them at too early an age.

• Wade Harder | August 15, 2008 at 12:07 pm |

[quote comment=”284824″]As far as the Indiana helmet goes, THE HELMET PROJECT shows the current Indiana helmet to have 2 STRIPES. You may want to e-mail the guy that runs the site as he gets much of his info straight from the athletic departments.

Also, Western Carolina has uploaded a photo gallery that shows off the football team’s NEW HELMETS (fourth picture in the gallery).[/quote]

I like the new Western Carolina helmets. They’re better than the old ones by far.

• Glenn | August 15, 2008 at 12:42 pm |

If you look closely, you can see the Olympic rings in that crest on the Nigerian player. It looks a lot like the Nigerian Olympic Committee‘s logo, not their national football federation’s.

Canada has been doing the same thing — their national sport federation logos are missing or obscured, but the Canadian Olympic Committee logo has shown up, usually on the sleeves.

• Tom Farley | August 15, 2008 at 12:50 pm |

Here’s a link regarding the Pottsville Maroons and the “stolen” championship:

The league told them not to play an exhibition game against a team including Rockne’s Four Horsemen at Shibe Park, because it infringed on the Frankford Yellow Jackets’ territorial rights. (Frankford is part of Philadelphia now, but wasn’t then. Just as Brooklyn used to not be a part of New York City.) The Maroons opted for the big payday, were booted out of the league and were stripped of the title.

While the “Racine” in the Cardinals’ early history is, as mentioned above, based on Chicago’s Racine Street, Racine, Wis., did have two teams in the early NFL, the Legion and the Tornadoes.

Charlie Dressen played for the Legion. The field where they played their games, Horlick Field, is still in use for high school and minor league football.

• David | August 15, 2008 at 12:51 pm |

I didn’t see yesterday’s post until today, so please forgive me being late with this, but … I just saw the “Untuckem” feature, and while the song leaves much to be desired, I think the shirts (and what the Brewers do when they win) is terrific!

In this day and age of millionaire athletes and billionaire owners, it’s great to see one town show so much pride and love for their team. I know Orioles players flip up the lid of their cap when George Sherill closes out a win, but for the fans to get involved?

This is ONLY a good thing, in my opinion. Go Brewers, go fans, and I hope you untuck every day for the rest of the season!!

• Jason | August 15, 2008 at 12:51 pm |

• LarenR | August 15, 2008 at 12:54 pm |

[quote comment=”284843″]Anybody have any idea what’s on the bill of the cap here of the cuban national team’s manager in today’s game against the US?

It almost looks like a Buckeye merit sticker (although I’m sure that can’t actually be what it is).

• Marty Met | August 15, 2008 at 12:55 pm |

[quote comment=”284831″][quote comment=”284821″][quote comment=”284817″][quote comment=”284801″]No, the Chicago Cardinals are the team that stole the title from Pottsville, thats why they are cursed. Pottsville beat the Cardinals head to head, then scheduled an exhibition game against Notre Dame in Philly. The Philly owner protested that Pottsville was infringing on their territorial rights, Pottsville played the game anyway. The NFL upheld the protest, stripped Pottsville of their title and awarded it to the Cardinals, who to this day refuse to give it back, hence the curse.[/quote]

(Yeah, I’m in the middle of researching NFL history.)[/quote]

—Ricko[/quote]

Thank God, John McMullen wasn’t so dimwitted when he moved the Rockies to New Jersey. The New Jersey Devils is as great a name as the Baltimore Orioles or Detroit Pistons.

• Tom Farley | August 15, 2008 at 1:05 pm |

Sorry, it’s Racine Avenue in Chicago. Maybe I don;t remember “Avenue” because the matchbook in “The Untouchables” only said “XXX Racine.”

“You wanna know how you get Capone?”

• Joe Tiller | August 15, 2008 at 1:07 pm |

Indiana has a football team?

• ALK | August 15, 2008 at 1:47 pm |

[quote comment=”284841″]The field where they played their games, Horlick Field, is still in use for high school and minor league football.[/quote]

I remember playing there in high school. Coolest/weirdest place we ever played. Awful uniforms – the Michigan/Princeton winged helmet in silver and red w/ black/red/silver jerseys/pants.

• Chad | August 15, 2008 at 1:47 pm |

manny loves the new uniforms http://www.theonion....

• Chris | August 15, 2008 at 1:48 pm |

[quote comment=”284829″]Theoretically, those Pakistani men’s field hockey uniforms are illegal. You’re supposed to have a solid color on the body — all the way around.[/quote]
    You mean it’s not just Major League Baseball who doesn’t enforce their uniform rules, except checking if a manager is wearing his jersey in the middle of a game on national television?

• Tom Farley | August 15, 2008 at 1:58 pm |

Yes, ALK, that’s Horlick High School’s team you’re describing. (I live in Racine.) “Gaudy” is an apt description, too.

The Racine Belles of the AAGPBL played there, too, as did the Packers in games against the Legion. The configuration today isn’t as pictured here, but the stone exterior wall remains on three sides.

• Marty Met | August 15, 2008 at 2:11 pm |

• Jeff P | August 15, 2008 at 2:19 pm |

You got paid, quit crying you are not the World Champions of 1925. Champions play by the rules.[/quote]
    Wow… The rules are not set in place to overturn game results, especially when the rule had nothing to do with the game.

A fair punishment would have been turning the revenue from the game over to the philly area team.

You might want to get whatever’s stuck up your ass out…

• Lucy | August 15, 2008 at 2:21 pm |

• KT | August 15, 2008 at 2:24 pm |

But the “Racine” in “Racine Normals” was not Racine, Wisconsin. It was, as Rick White pointed out above, Racine Drive in Chicago.

It is true, in a general sense, though. Back in the primordial soup days, lots of what we now consider to be bigtime teams and leagues began in small circumstances.

And now for something completely different: the USA’s Heather Mitts has added a tattoo to her upper thigh. At least, I just noticed it for the first time the other day. I don’t get to visit her upper thigh as much as I’d like to.

• KT | August 15, 2008 at 2:32 pm |

In the Lakers’ case, it was 1960. And at least it was somewhat alliterative.

In the Jazz’s case, Frank Layden says that they weren’t even sure they were going to be able to make it in Utah, so they didn’t bother to change the name if they’d have to change it again when they moved again. And once they got established, it became too late to rebrand.

• chance | August 15, 2008 at 2:32 pm |

[quote comment=”284854″][quote comment=”284852″]All I want to say to the people of Pottstown is don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time. You were told by the league not to play the game, but they were out for themselves.

You might want to get whatever’s stuck up your ass out…[/quote]
    Without getting further off-topic (anybody have pictures of those Pottsville uniforms), that’s not what happened. No game results were “overturned.”

The Maroons were warned in advance at least three times that playing the exhibition game would result in them being kicked out of the League. They went ahead with it anyway.

They were kicked out of the NFL for violating the rules before the season was over. Hard to then argue that they should be champions of that league.

• chance | August 15, 2008 at 2:33 pm |

[/quote]

• Marty Met | August 15, 2008 at 2:36 pm |

You might want to get whatever’s stuck up your ass out…[/quote]

That would have been a fair punishment if they had played the game and then later had been told by the NFL that they violated Frankford Yellow Jackets’ territorial rights. But they were told BEFORE hand NOT to play the game and they did anyway.

Would the NFL allow say the Dallas Cowboys to play a game against USC in Phoenix? Granted the Cowboys would probably not be kicked out of the league but that’s because the create a lot of revenue for the NFL. Things were different then. I’m not saying that’s the punishment I would have handed down, but they have to live with the consiquences of their actions. The Pottstown Maroons were the ones who created this whole mess, not the Cardinals, not the Yellow Jackets, not the NFL.

• KT | August 15, 2008 at 2:45 pm |

[/quote]

True, but adding to the general confusion is the fact that Racine did have a team in the NFL.[/quote]

• Rick White in Cedar Park, TX | August 15, 2008 at 2:50 pm |

[quote comment=”284862″][quote comment=”284860″][quote comment=”284857″][quote comment=”284831″]Racine. Lot of people forget that even the biggest of leagues began as a regional organizations with teams in surprisingly small towns.[/quote]

[/quote]

People who are confused by that might be confused by the fact that the Dallas Texans of Art Donovan weren’t the same Dallas Texans of Len Dawson.[/quote]

or the same as the Houston Texans of David Carr. :)

• chance | August 15, 2008 at 3:00 pm |

People today are accustomed to teams sharing names. Different incarnations of teams.

But professional teams named after a street? That seems ludicrous to modern ears.

• Walaitis | August 15, 2008 at 3:05 pm |

In the Lakers’ case, it was 1960. And at least it was somewhat alliterative.

Up until recently, when we seem to expect that, for the most part, when a team moves, it’s going to change its identity, there were probably about as many cases of teams doing that pre-1960 as not (Chicago Cardinals —> St. Louis Cardinals, Cleveland Rams —> Los Angeles Rams, yet Portsmouth Spartans —> Detroit Lions and St. Louis Browns —> Baltimore Orioles).[/quote]

Which leads to … What’s unique about Baltimore’s baseball and football teams?

• Ricko | August 15, 2008 at 3:08 pm |

[quote comment=”284865″][quote comment=”284858″][quote comment=”284845″]Too bad no one in a position of power with the L.A. Lakers and the Utah Jazz had that kind of imagination and originality.[/quote]

In the Lakers’ case, it was 1960. And at least it was somewhat alliterative.

Which leads to … What’s unique about Baltimore’s baseball and football teams?[/quote]

They both used to be the Browns.

• Ricko | August 15, 2008 at 3:21 pm |

Packers originally were the Acme Packers, named after a corp. sponsor, and their home town was in Green Bay.

Not all exactly the same thing, just that teams thought a lot “smaller” back then. Sometimes was just enough to be associated with the neighborhood. There wasn’t much that was truly “National” or “American” (meaning countrywide) about those early leagues…other than a magnificent and important-sounding league named.

• Jim | August 15, 2008 at 3:32 pm |

[quote comment=”284867″]re: a Street name for a pro team. Yeah, does sound wierd today. Like, for a long time way back when, the two minor league baseball teams in S.F. were the San Francisco Seals and the Mission Reds, the latter named because they played in the mission district.

Kinda like “World” Hockey Association. God, I cringed the first time I heard that. Same for “World” Football League. I used to give Gary Davidson and Dennis Murphy—esp. Murphy, who was one of the nicest people I’ve ever known–(if you don’t know who they are, look it up, don’t wanna take space here) shit about, “Why not ‘Intergalactic’ Hockey Association, guys? Can I have the Mars frachise? We’ll be the Mars Bars.”[/quote]

If you’re starting one on Mars, can I start the Uranus Rings?

• Ricko | August 15, 2008 at 3:47 pm |

re: Mission Reds…see last mural, this page.

• Ed | August 15, 2008 at 3:53 pm |

If you’re starting one on Mars, can I start the Uranus Rings?[/quote]

The Venus Flytraps?

• Jim | August 15, 2008 at 3:58 pm |

If you’re starting one on Mars, can I start the Uranus Rings?[/quote]

The Venus Flytraps?[/quote]

The Mercury Thermometers??

• Walaitis | August 15, 2008 at 4:03 pm |

[quote comment=”284871″][quote comment=”284870″][quote comment=”284868″][quote comment=”284867″]”Why not ‘Intergalactic’ Hockey Association, guys? Can I have the Mars frachise? We’ll be the Mars Bars.”[/quote]

If you’re starting one on Mars, can I start the Uranus Rings?[/quote]

The Venus Flytraps?[/quote]

The Mercury Thermometers??[/quote]

Pluto Mighty Dogs?

• Teebz | August 15, 2008 at 4:14 pm |

The World Hockey Association was the leader in terms of bringing over a large number of Europeans to play hockey on the teams in that league. The NHL was almost strictly a North American league before that time. The WHA opened the doors to big money for European players while giving them the opportunity to possibly springboard their careers into an NHL job.

The WHA lived up to its name in terms of inclusion, despite the fact that the teams were not based all over the world.

• Patrick | August 15, 2008 at 4:25 pm |

[quote comment=”284855″]The Broncos will be bringing back their orange alternates after a four year hiatus: http://www.denverpos...

Now that is good news. The orange jerseys are the only way the Broncos look is palatable.

• Hurnf | August 15, 2008 at 4:38 pm |

I’m with you on that one….I play a lot of slow pitch softball and some pitchers wear masks to prevent losing their teeth, nose, entire face etc from line drives. I can see someone sportin’ that mask and looking pretty badass.[/quote]

What, can’t they catch anymore? Wusses.

• Ricko | August 15, 2008 at 4:58 pm |

[quote comment=”284876″][quote comment=”284825″][quote comment=”284813″]I may be in the minority here, but that catcher’s mask mentioned in the ticker is totally badass. If they ever bring back Jack Parkman for Major League 8 or whatever they’re up to, he definitely has to wear that!!![/quote]

What, can’t they catch anymore? Wusses.[/quote]

I assume you were being facetious.

Some of the bats these days can propel a softball as fast 125 mph. The pitcher is roughly 50 feet away. I see more and more facemasks and shin guards on pitchers every year. Especially shin guards.

• aj | August 15, 2008 at 5:09 pm |

i also don’t know what the conclusion was regarding the american flag sleeve patch on the padres camo jerseys…whether it was backwards or on correctly or whatever…

but i was watching the usa vs. cuba baseball game today and noticed that the patches on the us team’s jerseys were on the same way. i would think that if they were wrong on the padres unis they would at least get them right on the jerseys that are representing our country in the olympics…

(i hope the links work)

• Jordan | August 15, 2008 at 5:17 pm |

• Ricko | August 15, 2008 at 5:21 pm |

but i was watching the usa vs. cuba baseball game

I see Cuba’s commitment to wearing the ugliest uniforms on the planet continues. Nice when traditions are upheld like that.

—Ricko

• KT | August 15, 2008 at 5:37 pm |

• LarenR | August 15, 2008 at 5:54 pm |

[quote comment=”284878″]i haven’t read any comments in about 2 weeks so i’m not sure if it has been mentioned…

(i hope the links work)[/quote]
    When the flag is on the side of a person/uniform (military, athletic, or other) the stars are always to the front. So, if the flag is on the left sleeve it seems “correct” and if it is on the right it seems “backwards.” If the flag is on the front or back, it is always to have the field (stars) on the top left, as we are used to. So, the Padres and Team USA got it right.

• Jordan | August 15, 2008 at 5:55 pm |

[quote comment=”284879″]Confirmation: Yes, Indiana will be wearing the ’68 Rose Bowl stripes on their crimson helmets. The helmets were in view at Tuesday’s media day. Pictures can be seen at the Bloomington Herald-Times website.[/quote]

The stripes can also be interpreted as a uni-memorial for IU Rose Bowl coach John Pont, who passed this summer at age 81. If Michigan can have Crisler Wings, maybe we can have Pont Stripes. They also add something to the unis to set them apart from knock-offs of Oklahoma.

• Jordan | August 15, 2008 at 5:59 pm |

Indiana also recently re-upped their contract with adidas through 2015-16:

• LarenR | August 15, 2008 at 6:55 pm |

In the LL World Series both teams in each game are wearing the same color pants.
    For US teams it’s grey. For World games, it’s white (no pics yet). I guess when the US champ plays the International champ, there will finally be one team in home unis and one in road unis.

• DenverGregg | August 15, 2008 at 7:04 pm |

If you\’re starting one on Mars, can I start the Uranus Rings?[/quote]

The Venus Flytraps?[/quote]

The Mercury Thermometers??[/quote]

Pluto Mighty Dogs?[/quote]

• =bg= | August 15, 2008 at 7:33 pm |

Biggio # retired

• Ricko | August 15, 2008 at 9:19 pm |

Just caught the last few mintues of the THE NATURAL. I’d forgotten that Roy Hobbs was top-button-unbuttoned guy.

• chance | August 15, 2008 at 9:45 pm |

When did the league itself confuse Racine Avenue in Chicago with Racine, Wisconsin?[/quote]

• Ricko | August 15, 2008 at 9:51 pm |

[quote comment=”284886″]quote comment=\”284872\”][quote comment=\”284871\”][quote comment=\”284870\”][quote comment=\”284868\”][quote comment=\”284867\”]\”Why not \’Intergalactic\’ Hockey Association, guys? Can I have the Mars frachise? We\’ll be the Mars Bars.\”[/quote]

If you\’re starting one on Mars, can I start the Uranus Rings?[/quote]

The Venus Flytraps?[/quote]

The Mercury Thermometers??[/quote]

Pluto Mighty Dogs?[/quote]
    Probably too geek, but this isn’t just our solar system, so here goes: Izar Lord Garths; Arcturus Circlers; Cygnus Fightin’ Swans; (geeked out pun alert) Sagitta Sections.[/quote]

No one’s claimed that big moon of Jupiter?
    Could be the Titan Tennessees.

• chance | August 15, 2008 at 9:52 pm |

[quote comment=”284867″]
    [/quote]
    Not quite true – the original name was the Green Bay Packers, named after Curly Lambeau’s employer, the Indian Packing Company, who supplied him money for uniforms.

• chance | August 15, 2008 at 10:04 pm |

[quote comment=”284890″][quote comment=”284881″][quote comment=”284864″]Heck, if the League itself can confuse Racine Avenue in Chicago with Racine, Wisconsin, then I think we can excuse a little confusion on the part of fans.[/quote]

In the minutes of the first meeting of the American Professional Football Association, which would rebrand itself as the NFL the next year.[/quote]

Forgot to include the evidence. Check out the first paragraph….

• chance | August 15, 2008 at 10:07 pm |

[quote comment=”284887″]http://www.bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2402&Itemid=42

Biggio # retired[/quote]

Nine retired numbers seems an awful lot for a franchise that’s managed to win but one pennant.

• Ricko | August 15, 2008 at 10:16 pm |

[quote comment=”284892″][quote comment=”284867″]
    [/quote]

The Indian Packing Company was bought by the Acme Packing Company, and the Packers put “ACME PACKERS” across the front of their jerseys. But they didn’t officially change the name (secondary nicknames were pretty fluid in those days anyway – the Packers were sometimes known as the Indians, Blues, Big Bay Blues and Bays).[/quote]

Oh, I knew that. Was commenting generally about how different things were back then (in THE PROS, there is a gorgeous Robert Riger drawing of Curly Lambeau in his “ACME PACKERS” jersey).

Bears were the Decatur Staleys at first, too, weren’t they? In fact, for the record, Chance, what were the teams that first year?

• chance | August 15, 2008 at 10:36 pm |

Yep, the Staleys became the Bears.

According to Wikipedia, the 1920 teams were:
    Detroit Heralds
    Hammond Pros
    Muncie Flyers
    Racine Cardinals
    Rochester Jeffersons
    Rock Island Independents

The Green Bay Packers were in their second season at the time, but didn’t join the league until its second year (their third).

• Graham | August 16, 2008 at 12:28 am |

• Original Jim | August 16, 2008 at 12:57 am |

Probably been mentioned already, but didn’t notice…

The 2 members of the US Men’s Beach Volleyball team that played today against Switzerland have 2 different sponsors. One player had Speedo on his uniform, the other had Crocs (the ugly rubber shoe company).

• Jordan Pope | August 16, 2008 at 1:15 am |

[quote comment=”284898″]Team USA baseball has the flags on their right sleeves backwords. The softball team has it the right way on the chest of their jerseys, but the men can’t get it right.[/quote]

could it be that the baseball team is following what the US Army does with their flag?

• LarenR | August 16, 2008 at 2:10 am |

See comment #88 above.

• The Ghost of Ross Gload | August 16, 2008 at 10:10 am |

“Stars to the front” on the right sleeve is something the US Army started doing recently because some general wanted it to look like the flag is advancing at all times, from all points of view.

It’s not in the Flag Code, which maintains that the flag be displayed with the stars on the flags own right.