For Your Consideration …

stupid

Sweet fancy Moses! Anybody want a crack at this kid? I’ll skip the state and school on this one, because last time I showed a high school kid who looked like a dumbass everybody lost their minds for the rest of the day.

This kid has pretty much everything required to be the “wrong” side in a right/wrong diagram for proper apparel. Before he’s rightly grilled, however, he does get credit for at least rolling the elastic of his pants cuffs under. Also, the jersey isn’t his fault, though he could choose to tuck it in.

But that hat — bangs out, huh? Cool. And the sweet face paint! (It’s not clown paint, kids. Remember that.) And the soon-to-be-required-on-all-athletes Phiten sleeve. Had those sleeves been available sooner, I’m convinced Tommy John would just be known as some guy who pitched a long time. Titanium cures all — even torn ulnar-collateral ligaments. Protect yourself accordingly today. — Bryan

74 comments to For Your Consideration …

• Sonny | May 17, 2008 at 8:58 am |

America’s pastime and pro wrestling have merged. It was bound to happen.

• Kyle O | May 17, 2008 at 9:03 am |

Maybe Im missing something. Bryan, I think the problem people are going to have is that of all people to make fun of the uniform, a high school student is picked. Odds are the student doesn’t own the uniform, it isn’t tailored to him, he isn’t getting paid, and chooses to play for the love of the game. I understand that there are issues with his uniform and “face paint” but arn’t you likely to find those same problems on the college level or profession level? A level where the students get the unforms tailored, and are able to choose thier own equiptment? Or even professional level where the athletes actually get paid through endorsement contracts to wear whatever they choose.

I guess I don’t see a whole lot wrong with the uniform. Jersey not tucked in, but he is piching, and with a school issued jersey who knows. His pants are cuffed, as you stated. Yes the eye paint is a little much and I understand that. But is that enough to choose him over every other possible picture?

• BigMatt | May 17, 2008 at 9:08 am |

Everyone is different, but I believe in their products.

• K Dawg | May 17, 2008 at 9:16 am |

I actually see something interesting happening here – it is not the UNIFORM that is being mocked, but the wearer (in this case a high school player). And that wearer is offered up as an easy target for all to mock, as if the point of the site is to mock people for their uniforms, as well as labeled with a not-so-nice word.

For comparison’s sake, check out the much kinder, and more-uni-centric, criticism of the uniforms on this old post:

• Greg | May 17, 2008 at 9:24 am |

Everyone is different, but I believe in their products.[/quote]
    Those products are nothing but mental.

• Ricko | May 17, 2008 at 9:25 am |

Okay, the eye black is a little John Randle-esque but, in his defense, it being high school he may have started the game in the outfield. And, if white shoes and short pants are the team “look” then that part isn’t his fault (hate white shoes with solid socks; the guys on the A’s who do that just look dippy, like an accountant mowing the lawn in bermudas, black kneehighs and Jack Purcells. With stirrups, not so bad.).

Bangs out from under hat, though, that’s just…wrong. LOL

• Ben | May 17, 2008 at 9:59 am |

Apparently, a 26 year career is not long enough for you?

• ryan | May 17, 2008 at 10:16 am |

• Stuby | May 17, 2008 at 10:22 am |

[quote comment=”271789″]Had those sleeves been available sooner, I’m convinced Tommy John would just be known as some guy who pitched a long time.

Apparently, a 26 year career is not long enough for you?

Whoa there, Ben. All he’s saying is that Tommy John wouldn’t otherwise have a medical procedure named after him.

As far as that uniform, it is still much better than some of the crap produced by Nike for college baseball teams like Miami.

• tmac3217 | May 17, 2008 at 10:32 am |

• DawgFan | May 17, 2008 at 10:53 am |

• Walaitis | May 17, 2008 at 10:56 am |

[quote comment=”271790″]Did I miss comments (if any were made) re: the University of Cincinnati finally unveiling those new adidas jerseys? Fresh cat scratches free of charge.

I agree, there are certainly worse uniforms out in the world. However …

1. I have never understood italicized numbers in sports. If the idea is to have your numbers easily read for identification purposes, italics isn’t the way to do it!

2. I really, really like the idea of the cat scratches on the back of the legs, except: A) I really, really don’t like having to stare at guys rear ends to see them (not that there’s anything wrong with that), and B) If the Bearcats have scratches on their own legs, doesn’t that just mean there’s been a great deal in in-fighting amongst teammates?

• BigMatt | May 17, 2008 at 11:09 am |

Everyone is different, but I believe in their products.[/quote]
    Those products are nothing but mental.

I could wear a bracelet made of sewn cat hair, and if I beleived it would cure me of what ever ailed me, I’m sure I’d feel better.[/quote]

You have a bracelet made of sewn cat hair?
    Does it work?

• scott | May 17, 2008 at 11:09 am |

Dude, hateful post. Picking on a kid. This is not the spirit of uniwatch.

• Jim | May 17, 2008 at 11:14 am |

[quote comment=”271795″][quote comment=”271787″][quote comment=”271785″]From my personal experience, Phiten products work for me. Specifically, I wear their bracelet and it has relieved the pain and numbness in my wrist.
    Everyone is different, but I believe in their products.[/quote]
    Those products are nothing but mental.

You have a bracelet made of sewn cat hair?
    Does it work?[/quote]

That cat hair works GREAT to make people feel better … the cat, on the other hand, has other thoughts.

• Luke Mohamed | May 17, 2008 at 11:23 am |

• BuckeyeMark | May 17, 2008 at 11:30 am |

[quote comment=”271793″]Picking on a High School kid? This must be written by someone who’s never had a child. Here’s all that kid did, he goes to class, he’s respectful to the media, respectful to the public! and he’s a good kid! This is garbage! and the editor who let it come out is garbage! Attacking an amateur athlete, where are we at in society? Come after me! I’m a man, I’m 40!! This makes me want to puke.[/quote]

excellent! that was truly hilarious stuff. you go Mike Gundy!

• BigBootyLover58 | May 17, 2008 at 11:30 am |

Apparently, a 26 year career is not long enough for you?

Seriously? Are you that stupid? You could not have missed the point any more. Congrat’s.

• Greg | May 17, 2008 at 11:35 am |

well. good to see that these comments all went downhill so quickly.

Sigh…..all the bitching really drags a man down :-\

• BuckeyeMark | May 17, 2008 at 11:37 am |

having commended Mike Gundy, I am inclined to agree with other posters that somehow taking on a high school kid seems over the line. there’s so many other choices out there … I’m just not comfortable with attacking a kid. if the rest of the uni world was perfect today and this was the only picture to work with maybe then it’d be alright but I’m pretty sure there’s a Nike-ified pro somewhere we could criticize instead of a kid. what say we give that a try? it seems like the point of the picture is to say that teen-age boys do dumb things to look tough and/or impress girls. however, you could’ve just asked any parent of teens – we’d be glad to give you this shocking bit of news.

• Philly William | May 17, 2008 at 11:42 am |

Brian, Brian, Brian – I think the post is funny and, in my opinion, doesn’t take a cheap shot at the kid, but you had to know you were setting yourself up for a bashing, especially after ‘Clown Paintgate’.

• Ricko | May 17, 2008 at 11:42 am |

Getting back on point…I can’t find that listing Uni Watch provided of MLB’s Turn Back The Clock events, etc. this season.

So my question is: Are there any scheduled this weekend?

• mary | May 17, 2008 at 11:43 am |

Everyone is different, but I believe in their products.[/quote]
    I have the necklaces to help with headaches from a concussion and I swear by it, I can clearly tell the difference in pain levels whether I’m wearing it or not, even sometimes when I don’t relize I am not wearing it

• cj | May 17, 2008 at 11:54 am |

-Sigh-

• Mike Engle | May 17, 2008 at 11:59 am |

Happy Carlos May Day, everyone!
    And at the same time, happy birthday to Uni Watch Blog!

• Jeff I | May 17, 2008 at 12:17 pm |

The Worcester Sharks are having a game used merchandise sale

Info here

• Brian | May 17, 2008 at 12:19 pm |

Now Brian, on weekends dont make jokes. Some people only laugh if Paul makes jokes. ^The reason I rarely come here on weekends is the sense of self righteousness by some of the people here. Congratulations, the kid in the picture will be grateful some anonymous guy on the internet defended him from some other guy he doesnt know and will never meet. Get over yourselves. Brian, you do a great job.

• todd krevanchi | May 17, 2008 at 12:29 pm |

Happy Anniversary UniWatchBlog.

• Just Sayin' | May 17, 2008 at 12:33 pm |

• Morte | May 17, 2008 at 12:37 pm |

Everyone is different, but I believe in their products.[/quote]
    Those products are nothing but mental.

Even if that’s the case, wouldn’t that therefore make the product a success?

I have a Phiten necklace that I wear daily to combat my knee and ankle pains from football, and quite frankly, whether it works or I just think it works, I hurt less, and that’s a huge gain for a twenty dollar necklace.

• James Craven | May 17, 2008 at 1:07 pm |

Fixed!

• Joey Guns | May 17, 2008 at 1:13 pm |

I guess Keith Hernandez doesn’t watch many Yankees games. He goes “Andy Petitte has the socks jacked up today. I love it!” Um, Keith, he always does that.

• James Craven | May 17, 2008 at 1:20 pm |

• Ricko | May 17, 2008 at 1:22 pm |

• =bg= | May 17, 2008 at 1:23 pm |

Ah, a gripefest today. See u tomorrow.

• Ricko | May 17, 2008 at 1:26 pm |

Back later, gang.

Gonna go watch these guys play ball.

• Kyle O | May 17, 2008 at 2:23 pm |

I am sorry that I started this and turned it into a “bitch fest” but I was just uneasy about grown adults pointing out a high schoolers uniform choice when that high schooler is just emulating what he sees in the big leagues. This I think would be a fantastic topic if left simply to how uniform choices of the pros seeps through American society to the high school and amateur level.

I guess the major problem I have with it, along with several of the readers is that it appears to make a somewhat personal attack on the player instead of just showing how the look matriculated through the sporting ranks. The personal attacks are more understandable when it is someone at the higher up in the chain of command.

I guess I just miss the days of last summer when there was a fantastic piece written about the kids who designed their own uniforms for their summer league. The uniforms we not the best but it was the effort that mattered. I remeber Paul himself asking us to be kind to the kids because it was their love of the uniform that was important. I just get the feeling that those same pictures would be run on the weekend with a caption that makes subtle jabs at them.

Anyway, I am sorry Brian, Paul, and whomever else has been annoyed I started this rant today. It is just my two cents as I, along with everyone else is free to do. I respect you Paul and Brian and understand you have complete right to post whatever you feel. I just thought I would try and provide some insight into where some readers are coming from.

Kyle

• Mike | May 17, 2008 at 2:30 pm |

[quote comment=”271813″][quote comment=”271798″]Come on Bryan, every weekend its the same thing… We’re here to discuss uniforms, and there’s more to discussing than bitching.[/quote]

I agree emphatically. I used to read UniWatch every day (including weekends), but I rarely check the site anymore on weekends because it is never interesting.[/quote]
    Never interesting? When Vince was the weekend guy (and this is no shot at Vince) the posts were much shorter and basically just an explanation of the photo. You can say you don’t like the content anymore, but its definitely not less interesting.

• Mike | May 17, 2008 at 2:33 pm |

[quote comment=”271807″]-Sigh-

This is why I never read (or check) Uni Watch on the weekends anymore. Please leave the high school athletes alone.[/quote]
    But you checked it today…

I’d love to see a stat on how many people that say they “never check the site on weekends” or “are never coming back” actually follow through with those statements.

I’d guess only 1%.

• Joel | May 17, 2008 at 3:07 pm |

What gives?

(Don’t answer that.)

• 9/9 | May 17, 2008 at 3:12 pm |

[quote comment=”271824″]I come here on the weekends all the time, and it’s really uncanny how persistent and consistently self-righteous (and, I’ll add, unreasonable) the criticism of Bryan is.

What gives?

(Don’t answer that.)[/quote]

• Kyle O | May 17, 2008 at 3:23 pm |

Listen, I am not trying to be self rightous. Paul, Bryan, Vince, and whoever else Paul allows can post whatever they want. I am not trying to change that. I am just giving my own constructive criticism. I tried to lay it out an a logical manner that takes emotions out of it. I enjoy this website and will continue to read it. The only way any business can operate is by understanding what the consumers, in this case, readers want. I was just giving my feedback. They can completly disregard it and I will contue to come to the website, read what I like, and skip what I don’t like.

Just giving my opinion as we are all free to do. Not trying to change the world at all. I just am use this website as a break from studying for my exams.

Kyle

• X-Man | May 17, 2008 at 3:24 pm |

Weekends on here have been lame ever since Vince left…………..

• Brad | May 17, 2008 at 3:34 pm |

[quote comment=”271796″]Dude, hateful post. Picking on a kid. This is not the spirit of uniwatch.[/quote]

He would not be opening himself up to criticism if he learned how to dress himself for a ballgame. The hair popping out of the hat is the worst part. He didn’t get that from “emulating a big leaguer”; he got that from some skateboarder he likes or something like that.

To the person that said white shoes should be banned…why? I am an A’s fan, and I love the white shoes. We’re the only team in the league that wears the white shoes; it’s a tradition. I also like the solid green socks with the white shoes.

• Lee | May 17, 2008 at 3:43 pm |

i like the weekends. bryan posts, i laugh at bryan’s posts, i read the comments to read people go crazy. always interesting.

• Colin | May 17, 2008 at 3:45 pm |

[quote comment=”271821″]I am sorry that I started this and turned it into a “bitch fest” but I was just uneasy about grown adults pointing out a high schoolers uniform choice when that high schooler is just emulating what he sees in the big leagues.[/quote]

It’s not about the uniform choice. As Bryan pointed out, the jersey wasn’t the kid’s fault. It’s about the clown makeup – yeah, I said it – which, to the best of my knowledge, is not emulating anything seen in the big leagues. And the criticism of it applies equally to the presumably adult coaches who allowed it.

In future, let’s just write “Sweet Jesus” when someone decides to make an ass of himself on the field and leave it at that. We’ll all know what it means.

• Talon Lardner | May 17, 2008 at 4:13 pm |

[quote comment=”271815″][quote comment=”271783″]“America’s pastime and pro wrestling fake fighting have merged. It was bound to happen.”[/quote]

Fixed![/quote]

“It’s Real to me, Damnit!”

You say that as if it were a bad thing… well, OK, a lot of the time, Pro Wrestling writers write like they were kicked off the daytime soaps. But still, sometimes there is moments of gold in that there ring.

As for Bryan/High School Athletes, Eh, I don’t check weekends much either, but I don’t complain too much, there’s too much sensationalism on both sides. Yeah, he looks goofy, but who didn’t at that age? We all look back at those times and laugh, hell, I wore my band uniform top on the occasional “Spirit Fridays” on my junior and senior years backed with raggy blue jeans, now THAT’s a look to mock.

• Byron | May 17, 2008 at 4:32 pm |

[quote comment=”271792″]White shoes should be banned from baseball at all levels — especially when one of your team colors is black.[/quote]

NO way man. with an all white uni and some good stirrups, white shoes are a nice look.

• Dan | May 17, 2008 at 5:01 pm |

to be honest, i see no personal attack on the kid. Bryan even said that the jersey design is not his fault… he simply is not wearing the uniform as many people believe he should. In fact, at the ballfields this morning i saw a team of 15 year olds(i think)that all had high stirrups on, jerseys tucked in, they just all looked like good, presentable ballplayers. Shows you that kids do have the option to look good and this one has chosen not to. Again, i dont believe that bryan has done anything wrong, hes not attacking the kid, hes attacking his uniform.

Can we stop doing this every other weekend??? people need to relax

• bar57988 | May 17, 2008 at 5:22 pm |

[quote comment=”271818″]I never intended any criticism of the TIGERS pitcher above. My core complaint is that no one seems to teach kids, when they first start playing baseball, how to wear a uniform. When I coached Little League we’d go through it every year. High stirrup in back. How to blouse pants (if they were baggy enough, of course). Sleeves match or don’t wear them. Hats on head straight and tuck your bangs inside your hat. Jerseys tucked in. One of the teams had a long tradition of wearing red shoes. We held to that. I even helped a couple kids find them and pay for them. Never later saw a kid we had coached who didn’t take care to look right on the baseball field, in addition to whatever skills or thought processes we’d taught them. Was always kinda proud of that.[/quote]

Hitting said nail on the head!!! In addition to holding the coach responsible for this player’s look, the umps are in the wrong for allowing the sleeve on the pitcher. As far as I know, anything on the pitcher’s throwing arm must be part of dark colored undershirt…

• KT | May 17, 2008 at 5:36 pm |

[quote comment=”271807″]-Sigh-

This is why I never read (or check) Uni Watch on the weekends anymore. [/quote]

And yet….

• Ricko | May 17, 2008 at 6:21 pm |

Nothing to do with unis, but Big Brown is some horse. For those of us old enough to remember, Secretariat flashbacks are tough to avoid.

• ChrisSh | May 17, 2008 at 6:24 pm |

Well, I’m going to have to agree that it is absolutely ridiculous to single out a high-schooler when there are all sorts of other uniform atrocities. Especially when a lot of that stuff isn’t his fault. I agree with some… Bryan’s posts are rarely entertaining and he just seems to get kicks out of making fun of people. Add me to the list of people who’s only visiting on weekdays now (save the comments section, which usually has some treasures). And I know, good riddance to me, I don’t have to be here, and so on and so forth. But seriously Bryan, your making fun of high schoolers game already failed once… why do it again?

• Rob | May 17, 2008 at 6:40 pm |

Keep up the good work, Bryan. Some of my best friends used to play baseball dressed like that and it would annoy me to no end. At least he isn’t tripping over his pants, though.

• Joe | May 17, 2008 at 6:41 pm |

I am a high school ballplayer myself and im the only one on my team who wears stirrups and i get a lot of people who think its really cool.. but thats aside the point I gurantee most of the kids on the diamond make fun of the kid above for the facepaint he has on just because i know most people laugh when they see that. Nothing wrong with just a strip of eyeblack because it really does help on a sunny day.
    Also if I was ever pictured on this website for good or bad I think it would be cool but I am guilty of the bangs under my hat not tucked in and thats only because the style changes of how we do things. Just like if uniwatch was around when players first started to wear high stirrups (like in then 50s, 60s) I am sure Paul would absolutly hate high stirrups and like the way things were. I love stirrups but im just using an example. Phiten titiums do not work either and im guilty of picking on kids who wear them. just my 2 cents.

• Ryan | May 17, 2008 at 6:51 pm |

About the new Cincinnati football uniforms…

For all the flak that Nike (rightly often) gets for over-designing, Adidas is just as bad. This is what happens when you have too many people designing one thing. The side-swoop that doesn’t even match the leg panel, the piping across the shoulders, the claw marks, it’s all A.D.D designing. Seriously, words can’t describe how awful those unis are. And the “eyes” logo that Cincy uses looks like the logo for an amusement park ride.

-Ryan

• ToasterPoodle | May 17, 2008 at 8:43 pm |

[quote comment=”271827″]Weekends on here have been lame ever since Vince left…………..[/quote]
    of course neither of us did anything to elevate the discussion.

• Leah | May 17, 2008 at 9:27 pm |

As a high schooler, I have to say that the majority of us deserve to be bitched at.

• Dym | May 17, 2008 at 9:47 pm |

with my team, we have to have our spikes be mostly black(we can have some red for team color) the seniors use to sport eye black for games but didnt this year. Mostly every1 has short hairs theres only 2 kids with semi long hair me and another and we both hang out with the hair(not intentionally just happens during the game)
    and were not allowed to wear necklaces or bracelets. most of the kids wear the pants down but not below the spike and a few wear it up.

were a straight forward team on game day. practice though is a wholenother story

• jere | May 17, 2008 at 11:29 pm |

[quote comment=”271817″]Refferrin to yesterday’s comment about The Greatest American Hero, I don’t have William Katt…but will you settle for this instead?[/quote]

Thanks, man! I love Homestar. But I have actually posted the shot of me as the GAH on my own blog already.

• Joseph | May 17, 2008 at 11:38 pm |

• jere | May 17, 2008 at 11:42 pm |

The jersey on the kid. It IS tucked in. Am I missing something?

• BigBootyLover58 | May 17, 2008 at 11:53 pm |

Yes. You should look at the picture for more than one second before you post.

• Eric B | May 18, 2008 at 12:48 am |

[quote comment=”271793″] I’m a man, I’m 40!![/quote]

this will be on my birthday cake in two and a half years. if it isn’t, i will leave the party and go buy my own cake.

• Max | May 18, 2008 at 1:16 am |

[quote comment=”271845″]I wear my eyeblack for football like him. I personally like it for football, but not baseball[/quote]

So you look like a clown too?

Manny Ramirez looks much worse than this kid. And you guys hail him “it’s just Manny being Manny”.

Manny Ramirez is a disgrace.

• C-Dublin | May 18, 2008 at 1:38 am |

Hey who made those collages of sports logos of cities? I recall there was a Denver and a Philadelphia one, can someone link me back to those?

• Beantown | May 18, 2008 at 1:45 am |

I’m not gonna pile on, but I’ll echo what some others have said. He’s just a high school kid, probably doesn’t know any better.

• Adam | May 18, 2008 at 3:50 am |

I love how everyone is making Bryan out to be a bad guy. He did excuse the uniform design because he can’t help that. If Paul were to do this I feel like these “stop making fun of people” arguments. The kid is in High School. I doubt he checks the blog. As someone who just finished his first year in college and had been reading the blog since it came out, I think it’s safe for me to say that high schoolers can probably take something like this. It’s not like we’re making fun of who he is as a person. We’re just pointing out that he made a bad uniform situation worse with the ridiculous face paint job. Eye black is called eye black for a reason. Let’s stop with the argument. Bryan meant no harm by it, and honestly shouldn’t have to defend himself. You got a problem with it, bring it up with Paul, but I don’t think he would mind so much seeing as its good to fix a problem while the kid is young.

• andrew | May 18, 2008 at 5:42 am |

Seems like the intern blew it…

• Chris | May 18, 2008 at 9:52 am |

The Greatest American Hero would look better with eye black.

• Mark | May 18, 2008 at 12:30 pm |

The worst high school baseball players have nothing on high school football players. Wait till September when we get mismatched socks, tape wrapped around everything, multiple sweatbands on arms and legs, and numerous other desecrations of the uniform.

• slurpeeman | May 19, 2008 at 9:53 am |

I’m amazed that after the fallout over his previous hateful post lampooning a high school athlete, that Bryan would have learned something. Evidently not.

Boo! Hiss!

• roboto03 | May 19, 2008 at 10:30 am |

I actually umpired for that kid here in Colorado. There are MUCH worse dressed kids just on that team.

• jere | May 19, 2008 at 12:41 pm |

[quote comment=”271847″][quote comment=”271846″]The jersey on the kid. It IS tucked in. Am I missing something?[/quote]
    Yes. You should look at the picture for more than one second before you post.[/quote]

One second is a second longer than you looked at it, apparently, as the jersey IS tucked in. Look again and get back to me.