Uni Watch Field Trip: A Visit with Jeff Fedenko

IMG_4260.JPG

Last month I ran an entry about Michael Princip and his clear-shell helmet tribute to Joe Washington. That piece was of particular interest to reader Jeff Fedenko, who wrote in to let me know that he has a big collection of clear-shells. Even better, Jeff lives in Brooklyn, just a few miles from my apartment, so a few weeks ago I went over to his place, where he and his daughters (that’s Micah on the left and Taitu on the right) welcomed me for a very enlightening evening of football helmet show-and-tell.

Clear-shell helmets are painted and decaled from the inside. The original idea was that they wouldn’t need to be repainted so often, although they turned out to be susceptible to other problems, like scuffing and breakage. Jeff has collected lots of them (that’s just a sampling of his collection) and says he can spot them a mile away, although I found it difficult to get a photo that captures their visual distinctiveness. Jeff also creates his own custom helmets by stripping the paint off of old-clear shell models and then adding his own paint and decals. This one will be a Rice design, and he’s prepping this one for a UMich paint job.

Jeff, who works as a phys ed teacher in the New York City school system (and is also a big NBA jersey collector), also has a massive library of football-related books, magazines, and catalogs. I could spend hours poring over his stuff, and he’s invited me to do just that at a later date — an invitation I will certainly accept. For now, though, here’s a look at a few things I documented during last week’s visit:

This book is a treasure trove of great photos (the caption reads, “Fur-bearing businessmen rom Oshkosh check their fuel supplies before entering City Stadium for the Championship Game”) and illustrations (here’s another). Here’s a rare shot of the Vikings’ seldom-seen purple pants, and check out all the different goalpost striping patterns here, here, and here. Also, a small mystery: Jeff grew up in Wisconsin but isn’t sure why the scoreboard at City Stadium (Lambeau’s predecessor) featured two feathers. Anyone know?

• Here’s another one of those padded-cown helmets (and a closer view). According to this catalog, MacGregor’s version was called the Absorblo.

• Here’s another MacGregor catalog, with a good explanation of the clear-shell product.

• I never found the helmet section of this catalog, because I got distracted along the way.

Major, major thanks to Jeff for graciously welcoming me into his home and sharing his wonderful collection with me. I think we’ll be featuring him again in the not-too-distant future.

Picture 1.png

Yo buddy, ya want a cheap watch?: I’ve got a couple of electronics-y items to sell — one old, one new, both functional. I could put them on Craigslist, but I want to give Uni Watch readers first crack at them. Here’s the inventory:

Epson C120 ink-jet printer: Basic ink-jet printer. Mac- and Windows-compatible. Still in box, never opened (got it as a freebie for buying something else, but I have no need for it). Lists for $90, sells on Amazon for $40. Yours for $35 if you want to show up at my door and pick it up; if you want me to ship it, you’ll have to pay the freight (the box weighs 11 pounds). Oh, and in addition to the ink cartridges that come with the printer, I’ve got an extra black cartridge that fits this printer, so I’ll throw that in too.

Apple eMac computer: Purchased in 2004, used heavily up until a few months ago, but still works fine (I just wanted to upgrade). This machine produced most of the material on this site, so think of it as the blogging equivalent of a game-used jersey (I’ll even autograph it if you want). … Specs: Mac OS 10.3.9; 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 processor; 512 MB memory; 40 GB hard drive; optical drive plays and burns CDs and DVDs but burns CDs only; MS Office 2004 and Photoshop Elements are installed, along with all the usual Mac stuff; does not have a wireless card; power cord, keyboard, and mouse included (duh). … Way too bulky and heavy for me to ship (I don’t feel like finding a box, wrestling with an acre of bubble wrap, etc.), so this one is a pickup-only deal — swing by Uni Watch HQ, slip a cool C-note into my hands, and it’s yours.

If you’re interested in either of these, please get in touch pronto.

alg_santana.jpg

Santana Update: No word yet from Russ Gompers regarding Johan Santana’s sleeve piping. Several readers have pointed out that lots of players have frayed piping (indeed, Steve Hicks notes that Prince Fielder was allowed to wear remarkably shoddy piping for a Sporting News cover shoot just a few weeks ago), but I’m not yet convinced that Santana’s piping was frayed — this looks like extra stitching to me, esp. on the right sleeve. Bryan found this and this look like fraying, but I’m not sold on that — I think they could be those little extra-embroidered spangle thingies. Still hoping Russ can provide us with the definitive word soon.

Uni Watch News Ticker: “You’ve probably already seen this article about the VW ads on DC United jerseys,” writes Matthew Algeo (actually, no, I hadn’t). “It made me think of another soccer team that had ads on their jerseys: the Pennsylvania Stoners of the American Soccer League. Back in 1980, the Allentown-based team wore jerseys with the name of a local business on the front: Alpo, the dog-food maker. It made for a lot of bad jokes, which was ironic, because the Stoners were good — they won the ASL championship that year. The Stoners (love that name) were one of the first U.S. pro sports teams to do this. (I think the only one that did it before was that minor league hockey team in Buffalo that incorporated a Pepsi logo into their uniform design.) Also, I’d forgotten — or maybe never realized — that all the jerseys had ‘Stoners’ on the back, instead of player names.” … “I followed a link off of Shorpy that lead me to this vintage poster site,” writes John Ervin. “This crew poster might be of particular Uni Watch relevance.” … Don Cherry is fighting breast cancer (great find by John Muir). … Look at the thumbnails on this page to see a good video about how the Cowboys assign uni numbers and equipmenet to rookies. “In case you hadn’t heard, Mike Jenkins is taking over Roy Williams’s 31,” says Stu Taylor, who brought the video to my attention. “It will be weird to see #31 actually covering somebody.” … It’s been reported for years that Dontrelle Willis has “Have Fun” and “Joyce” (his mother’s name) written on his underbill, but until now the only photos I had were this (hard to see) and this (easier to see, but not on his head). Now I also have this, which I found in a 2006 Rawlings catalog. … Jared Wheeler sent along this awesome 1939 photo of (L to R) Pepper Martin, Mickey Owen. and Lon Warneke chewing tobacco “Pepper Martin seems to be preparing to let out a bee line of spit,” he notes. … We often talk about players with long surnames. But the Indians have just signed a minor leaguer with a real mouthful of a middle name (thanks, Vince). … Some cool old USFL footage here, including some shots of refs in shorts (with thanks to Doug Keklak). … Lots of great old A’s mustache footage — and a bit of commentary from me (misidentified as “Paul Lucas,” but it’s hardly the first time that’s happened) here. … “Hiroshima Toyo Carp player Go Kida is going FNOB, even though there are no other Kidas on the team,” reports Jeremy Brahm. … Numerological note from Adam deNobriga, who writes: “On Monday Night’s Sports South coverage of the Braves/Padres game, the Braves announcers were discussing Mark Kotsay’s number choice, and they mentioned that he likes to wear increments of 7. He was 21 in Oakland, 14 in San Diego, 7 in Florida, and even 7 at Cal State. When he came to Atlanta, he wanted 28. However, he saw a picture of Darren Bragg wearing #28 ‘crumpled against the wall in center field’ and decided he didn’t want to wear 28. So he went to two guys (I’m guessing the equipment managers) to decide on a number. They recommended #11 based on the fact that two former Braves, who were also former Marlins, had success in Atlanta wearing that number: Edgar renteria and Gary Sheffield (even though I’m finding pictures of Sheffield wearing 10 in Florida). Therefore, Kotsay chose #11.”

168 comments to Uni Watch Field Trip: A Visit with Jeff Fedenko

• Josh Petty | May 7, 2008 at 7:57 am |

• Josh Petty | May 7, 2008 at 8:14 am |

Kotsay played at Cal State Fullerton

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 8:17 am |

nice interview w/jeff, paul…thanks for sharing

btw…i loved jeff’s book on the major sports

• KC | May 7, 2008 at 8:28 am |

RE: Scoreboard having feathers

could it be part of the ad for the “Support United Fund” There seems to be a cross (maybe not a relgious one, more like “Red Cross”) in the middle of the two feathers which make up a symbol or “logo” of the cause.

• Jim | May 7, 2008 at 8:33 am |

[quote comment=”267350″]That’s a sweet collection of helmets…I still can’t believe that I’d never heard of clear shell helmets before the first entry on the topic[/quote]

Wonder if clear helmets come off more or less shiny in the lights of a night game… Hmmmm…

• teamcinnamon | May 7, 2008 at 8:49 am |

Awesome helmets. I’d like to see the TU one that he’s working on once it’s completed!

• Steve | May 7, 2008 at 9:01 am |

Look’s like $39.69 to me, not $70.

• Wes | May 7, 2008 at 9:03 am |

Looks like the United Fund was a precursor to the United Way…

And according to the third picture on this site, the United Fund used a feather logo…

Hope those links work!

• Roger Faso | May 7, 2008 at 9:07 am |

I was watching the Yankee Indian highlights from last night’s game.

While Joba was blowing an inning, the backstop ad was a Johnny Walker ad that read, “Keep Walking.”

Who monitors that stuff?

• Ryan B. | May 7, 2008 at 9:07 am |

• Matt | May 7, 2008 at 9:10 am |

Paul,

• Joey Guns | May 7, 2008 at 9:16 am |

[quote comment=”267381″]Paul,

I think they meant that both former Marlins wore #11 in Atlanta, and not in Florida. Sheff and Renteria both wore 11 in Atlanta, however Renteria wore #3 in Florida and (as you pointed out) Sheff had #10.[/quote]

Matt, I agree. I think they were talking about Atlanta only. Just a note, which I’m sure everyone knows……Sheff also wore #11 in NY and now he’s wearing #3 in Detroit. (He did wear #10 with the Dodgers)

• Jim | May 7, 2008 at 9:18 am |

Check out the new kits revealed by Tottenham Hotspur F.C. last night. (Paul will especially be interested in the socks on the home kit.)[/quote]

The guy in the light blue kit looks like he’s wearing scrubs…

• Paul Lukas | May 7, 2008 at 9:21 am |

Look’s like $39.69 to me, not $70.[/quote]

Whoa — that just changed. Seriously!

• Ryan B. | May 7, 2008 at 9:21 am |

The guy in the light blue kit looks like he’s wearing scrubs…[/quote]

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 9:23 am |

[quote comment=”267386″][quote comment=”267381″]Paul,

Matt, I agree.

(He did wear #10 with the Dodgers)[/quote]

shef also wore 1 & 11 with the crew, and 10 on the pods (and, apparently, he also wore #5 on the dodgers)

• SpfldNate | May 7, 2008 at 9:25 am |

[quote comment=”267386″][quote comment=”267381″]Paul,

Matt, I agree.

(He did wear #10 with the Dodgers)[/quote]

Renteria wore #16 with the Marlins.

• Chris | May 7, 2008 at 9:29 am |

[quote comment=”267386″][quote comment=”267381″]Paul,

Matt, I agree.

(He did wear #10 with the Dodgers)[/quote]

Sheff also wore 5 with LA when traded for Mike Piazza. I used to have a 1998 Fleer Tradition Baseball Card Depicting this, and I also believe the 1998 Fleer Ultra showed this.

Chis

• BullManUGA | May 7, 2008 at 9:34 am |

Sheff wore 11 with the Braves because Chipper Jones already had 10. Apparently Sheff and Chipper are good friends so he picked 11 to be close to Chipper’s 10.

• DrBear | May 7, 2008 at 9:51 am |

Exactly! In Green Bay and many other cities, the fund-raising campaign was known as the “Red Feather” campaign, which was a symbol for the United Fund. It wasn’t until later that the United Fund and United Way charity drives merged.

BTW, you have to love the old scoreboard clock with the minutes above the seconds – I think the Yale Bowl still has one like that.

And note the old-style PACKERS logo in the lower right of the board – that’s one the Packers used in the pre-Lombardi era, and it stayed there until the board was replaced in the early 70s.

And although it doesn’t show it, there was a big advertising panel for Pabst beer above the board, and when the Packers would score a touchdown, the T in Pabst would light up. Not quite the Comiskey Park exploding scoreboard but exciting for a 7-year-old at his first game. (They kept the Pabst sign through the next scoreboard, but the tradition was dropped in the 80s when a third set was put up. Stay tuned for my magnum opus on Lambeau Field scorebaords.)

• Nathan | May 7, 2008 at 10:02 am |

After Doing Some research, I found these lists:
    Gary Sheffield
    Edgar Renteria
    Mark Kotsay

• Kevin M. | May 7, 2008 at 10:09 am |

[quote comment=”267410″]After Doing Some research, I found these lists:
    Gary Sheffield
    Edgar Renteria
    Mark Kotsay

If you scroll down toward the bottom of each page it tells you the uniform number history each player has had with the teams they have played on.[/quote]

When did Renteria wear 3 for the Braves? That has long been retired for Murphy.

• Joshua Eisenberg | May 7, 2008 at 10:10 am |
  • MPowers1634 | May 7, 2008 at 10:13 am |

[quote comment=”267394″][quote comment=”267386″][quote comment=”267381″]Paul,

Matt, I agree.

(He did wear #10 with the Dodgers)[/quote]

Chis[/quote]

Who has played for more teams: Sheffield, Kenny Lofton, or Chucky Brown?

Great piece on Jeff Fedenko. I am a helmet geek so I truly appreciated that piece.

Something that I noticed in the last clear shell debate was that the helmets seemed to be the precursor to the modern Schutt Air helmet.

Here is Jeff’s Pitt helmet: Pay attention to the crown!

Notice these similarities:
    1. Eight Vent holes on the crown
    2. One pump hole in the center of the crown
    3. The nose bumper and forehead pad are strikingly similar!

Does anyone have any more insight to this?

And by any chance, did Jeff play for the Stoners?

• Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem | May 7, 2008 at 10:14 am |

There are some fantastic old photos on that site on the top of each page.

• Joe H | May 7, 2008 at 10:15 am |

The frayed trim on the sleeves is very common with some of the single color piping…not every team uses the the greatest quality piping (I guess that’s really Majestic’s fault), and depending on the strength of the washing machines used it sometime frays…nothing new…it happens.

• anthony | May 7, 2008 at 10:15 am |

WOW, ROBERT RIGER!

I noticed in the book at Jeff’s house was an illustration by Robert Riger. He was one of the greatest sports illustrators I have ever seen. UniWatch should do a retrospective of his work.

…awesome find!

• MPowers1634 | May 7, 2008 at 10:16 am |

Sorry,

Jeff’s Pitt helmet:

Kentucky? Blank Schutt Air Advantage:

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 10:17 am |

[quote]by any chance, did Jeff play for the Stoners?[/quote]

what makes you say that, matt?

• chance | May 7, 2008 at 10:23 am |

Ah, Spurs stole those from Arsenal. ;)

Also, I can’t believe you guys beat me to the Red Feather Campaign – got to get up pretty early in the morning if I want in on the action….

• MPowers1634 | May 7, 2008 at 10:29 am |

[quote comment=”267425″]Sorry,

Jeff’s Pitt helmet:

Kentucky? Blank Schutt Air Advantage:

The Arkansas helmet in Jeff’s pic is also a good example!

Here’s another example from the Schutt website:

• MPowers1634 | May 7, 2008 at 10:31 am |

what makes you say that, matt?[/quote]

His body type belies one who would have excelled at soccer!

• pbaude | May 7, 2008 at 10:36 am |

There are some fantastic old photos on that site on the top of each page.

Buffalo was kind of on the cutting edge with stadium naming rights too if you think about it as Rich Stadium was one of the first with a corporate name, after Rich Products, also a Buffalo company.[/quote]

wow, great find. theres a bunch of other pics on this sight.

• MPowers1634 | May 7, 2008 at 10:39 am |

While we’re on the subject of helmets…

Check out this pic of an Illinois player wearing the new Ion with a revamped version of the triple-half facemask!

• Ryan B. | May 7, 2008 at 10:50 am |

[quote comment=”267429″]

Ah, Spurs stole those from Arsenal. ;)[/quote]

Good point. And obviously Arse-nal has never borrowed a kit idea from Spurs. :P

• MPowers1634 | May 7, 2008 at 10:50 am |

[quote comment=”267431″][quote comment=”267425″]Sorry,

Jeff’s Pitt helmet:

Kentucky? Blank Schutt Air Advantage:

The Arkansas helmet in Jeff’s pic is also a good example!

Here’s another example from the Schutt website:

Even better comparison pics:

• Broadway Connie | May 7, 2008 at 10:51 am |

[quote comment=”267390″][quote comment=”267387″][quote comment=”267380″]If ever there was a time for Paul to endorse a club from the BPL in England, today is that day.

The guy in the light blue kit looks like he’s wearing scrubs…[/quote]

This is true. However, all in all, I like them. (Of course, I’m a Spurs fan, so.) We’ve traditionally worn white shirts with the navy blue shorts, and we got away from that this season, but I’m glad they’re back. Yes, the road kit looks like medical scrubs, a little, and I’m not completely sold on the black and gold third kit. But I’m happy.[/quote]

• DJK | May 7, 2008 at 10:52 am |

Seeing that photo of the original Vikings Unis just re-enforces to me that the Vikes should ALWAYS wear the purple pants with the road white jerseys. Damn I like that look. As a Vikings fan, it is of utmost importance to me. :)

• KT | May 7, 2008 at 10:56 am |

[quote comment=”267441″]Oh, those soccer/football/futbol kits… So hard to get past the use of the jersey as billboard. Hate it so crazedly, in fact, that I can be blind to the virtues of a pretty decent outfit. [/quote]

You get used to it eventually.

[quote]The Economist ran an article recently that pointed out the hyper-capitalism of unis in social-democratic Europe and the no-ads unis in hyper-capitalist US. A reason for patriotism![/quote]

Nine of the 14 MLS teams have shirt sponsors, and several of the USL (lower-level) teams have had them for years.

It’s coming. They probably won’t be quite as obvious, but it’s coming to your favorite sport, too, eventually.

• Jet | May 7, 2008 at 10:56 am |

• dpt | May 7, 2008 at 10:56 am |

[quote comment=”267389″][quote comment=”267376″]http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Stylus-C120-Color-Printer/dp/B000UHR2TK

Look’s like $39.69 to me, not $70.[/quote]

Whoa — that just changed. Seriously![/quote]

The first time I clicked the printer, it came up $40, but it’s back to $69.99 now.

• joe | May 7, 2008 at 10:57 am |

Look’s like $39.69 to me, not $70.[/quote]

Whoa — that just changed. Seriously![/quote]
    it says 69.99 when i look now

• Ryan B. | May 7, 2008 at 10:58 am |

[quote comment=”267441″]

Oh, those soccer/football/futbol kits… So hard to get past the use of the jersey as billboard. Hate it so crazedly, in fact, that I can be blind to the virtues of a pretty decent outfit. The Economist ran an article recently that pointed out the hyper-capitalism of unis in social-democratic Europe and the no-ads unis in hyper-capitalist US. A reason for patriotism![/quote]

Funny thing is that I’m basically with you. For whatever reason, I think it’s OK in organized professional soccer. Part of it is probably my American perspective and my age; for my entire life, ads on uniforms in professional soccer, as well as hockey, basketball, etc. leagues in Europe and Asia have been commonplace and “the norm.”

But if MLB ever tried to put a sponsor ad on one of its players, I think I’d throw a raving fit. I think the fact that it’s “always” been this way (at least in my lifetime) makes it okay by me.

Also due to my limited perspective (probably), I think soccer shirts look empty without sponsorships.

Which reminds me…

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 10:59 am |

[quote comment=”267439″][quote comment=”267429″]

Ah, Spurs stole those from Arsenal. ;)[/quote]

Good point. And obviously Arse-nal has never borrowed a kit idea from Spurs. :P[/quote]

soccer fight!

• Matt | May 7, 2008 at 11:02 am |

• JF in DC | May 7, 2008 at 11:08 am |

There are some fantastic old photos on that site on the top of each page.

• Paul Lukas | May 7, 2008 at 11:11 am |

[quote comment=”267423″]WOW, ROBERT RIGER!

I noticed in the book at Jeff’s house was an illustration by Robert Riger. He was one of the greatest sports illustrators[/quote]

Yeah, I’m a huge fan of his work. I grew up poring over every square inch of his book The Pros, but I didn’t know about the two Best Plays of the Year books until I saw them at Jeff’s house. Haven’t found a copy of the 1962 version yet, but I just got a used copy of ’63 edition:

I just got that in the mail yesterday. Full report to follow.

• Dan King | May 7, 2008 at 11:21 am |

[quote comment=”267439″][quote comment=”267429″]

Ah, Spurs stole those from Arsenal. ;)[/quote]

• Frank Mercogliano | May 7, 2008 at 11:27 am |

MLB.com mistakenly is saying Floyd nrealy threw a no-no, and this annoys me, as a no-no refers to no runs, no hits, but the Twins scored. This isn’t a no-no, just a near no-hitter.

Just a semantics thing that has always bothered me.

Frank

• Ryan B. | May 7, 2008 at 11:34 am |

[quote comment=”267460″]

Ryan B. – this is why we can’t be friends. GO ARSENAL! anyways, it’ll be interesting to see what happens to spurs this summer w/ Ramos, and a lot of upset players.[/quote]

*cough* 5-1 *cough*

At the risk of officially starting a topic on this board that has to do with the competition and not about uniforms, I’ll have to be careful with my words.

I think there are certain players, like Dimitar Berbatov, that definitely will not be wearing the new Tottenham kits with a return to the blue shorts next season. It’ll be interesting to see if Juande Ramos can bring in some much-needed fresh blood to wear those new blue-and-white hooped socks while playing in midfield and defense next season. There’s a lot of hype about this Luka Modric kid from Croatia; hopefully he’ll look as comfortable in Puma’s synthetic blend of materials while playing in the center midfield position as anyone we’ve had since we let Michael Carrick go.

There. I think I’ve actually given a brief preview of Tottenham’s 08-09 season while still focusing on the uniforms. :)

• DrBear | May 7, 2008 at 11:39 am |

One more item on the Lambeau Field (City Stadium in those days) scoreboard – that picture (and possibly some of the Packer art) comes from Riger’s work on the book “Run to Daylight” by Vince Lombardi and W.C. Heinz. (The book detailed a week in Lombardi’s 1962 season when the Packers edged the Lions, who were a good team in those days. It was later that season that the Lions whipped the Pack on Thanksgiving day for Green Bay’s only loss that season.)

• The Ol Goaler | May 7, 2008 at 11:42 am |

Okay, so that Hiroshima Toyo Carp reference has started an “earworm” for me (to the tune of “Little Old Lady From Pasadena”)…

“Go Kida, Go Kida, Go Kida GO!

Arrrrgh!

• Mark K | May 7, 2008 at 11:45 am |

[quote]Buffalo was kind of on the cutting edge… [/quote]

I haven’t heard that since 1901!

[quote]Rich Products paid $1 million for 25 years of naming rights in 1973…a hefty sum in those days. Had a discussion with another WNYer the other night, and we both agreed Schaefer Stadium in Foxboro was the first to go corporate…until we remembered “Wrigley” Field! [/quote]

An interesting site here…

I don’t believe the naming rights for Wrigley Field were actually “sold” to an outside entity.

One related question- wasn’t there some beef with the deal with Rich way back when where someone felt they got screwed? I can’t find anything online but I seem to remember that some folks refused to call it “Rich Stadium”.

I want to say it was veteran groups who wanted the stadium as a memorial (even though everyone called the old War Memorial Stadium, which it replaced, “the rockpile”). Ironically there is a memorial rock with a plaque on it just outside the stadium fence, behind which you’ll often see guys watering the lawn.

• MPowers1634 | May 7, 2008 at 11:50 am |

Check out this collage of Ozzie Guillen.

The ppic in the center displays not only stirrups but be-numbered pants!

• MPowers1634 | May 7, 2008 at 11:51 am |

[quote comment=”267471″]Check out this collage of Ozzie Guillen.

The pic in the center displays not only stirrups but be-numbered pants![/quote]

• MPowers1634 | May 7, 2008 at 11:53 am |
  • The Ol Goaler | May 7, 2008 at 11:54 am |

Actually, Wrigley is part of a much older baseball “tradition”… naming the field for the owner of the ballclub! The Wrigleys owned the Cubs as well as the chewing-gum company. Detroit’s Tiger Stadium was once Navin Field, for example.

For what it’s worth, when Anheuser-Busch bought the St. Louis Cardinals in the 1950’s, brewery baron “Gussie” Busch wanted to rename Sportsman’s Park “Budweiser Stadium”. The Lords of Baseball frowned on that idea, but allowed Gussie to re-name the ballpark “Busch Stadium”… nevermind that the brewery also produced a beer named “Busch”, since the stadium was re-named after the principal owner, the LoB said okay!

A-B did pay “naming rights” for the current “Busch Stadium”… the third ballpark in St. Louis to wear the name…

• MPowers1634 | May 7, 2008 at 11:55 am |
  • The Ol Goaler | May 7, 2008 at 11:55 am |

Closing my tags… sorry!

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 11:56 am |

I haven’t heard that since 1901![/quote]

shit dude, how old are you?

• Ryan B. | May 7, 2008 at 11:56 am |

[quote comment=”267470″]
    And to make this uni-related, have any teams worn the name of a “corporate” stadium on their uniform?[/quote]

Sorry if it takes us back to the soccer world, but is this what you mean?

BPL’s Bolton Wanderers play at Reebok Stadium.

MLS’ Toronto F.C. plays at BMO Field.

• jere | May 7, 2008 at 12:04 pm |

Just to add to the feather discussion: Here are some old Red Cross pins complete with cross-in-circle logo with feather next to it, just like on the scoreboard. United Fund/Way and Red Cross seemed to be pretty incestuous around that time. (That may be the only time you’ll hear that word associated with those groups!)

• Jerico | May 7, 2008 at 12:07 pm |

[quote comment=”267480″][quote comment=”267470″]

Sorry if it takes us back to the soccer world, but is this what you mean?

BPL’s Bolton Wanderers play at Reebok Stadium.

MLS’ Toronto F.C. plays at BMO Field.[/quote]
    ARSEnal plays at Emirates Stadium.

• Brandon | May 7, 2008 at 12:11 pm |

On the Sheffield/Renteria matter:

• MPowers1634 | May 7, 2008 at 12:12 pm |

Yesterday, we discussed the size of the Red’s NOB Typography.

Check out the Wolverines on-field 5950’s!

• Ryan B. | May 7, 2008 at 12:13 pm |

[quote comment=”267483″]
    ARSEnal plays at Emirates Stadium.[/quote]

I was intentionally leaving them out. :)

• Latrell | May 7, 2008 at 12:17 pm |

[quote comment=”267393″][quote comment=”267386″][quote comment=”267381″]Paul,

Matt, I agree.

(He did wear #10 with the Dodgers)[/quote]

Renteria wore #16 with the Marlins.[/quote]

According to Baseball Almanac, Renteria wore both 3 and 16 with Marlins in 1997.

• Dave | May 7, 2008 at 12:28 pm |

Just a semantics thing that has always bothered me.

Frank[/quote]

I never heard of that. I always assumed “no-no” was a nickname for a no-hitter. I find it annoying because sportscasters seem to use it to sound hip. Kind of like the even more annoying “got off the schnide”.

• Chad G | May 7, 2008 at 12:29 pm |

[quote comment=\”267485\”]Yesterday, we discussed the size of the Red\’s NOB Typography.

Check out the Wolverines on-field 5950\’s!

Matt, those are not what UM baseball wears on the field
    , new era makes these hats with the giant logos for lots of colleges.
    They are 5950\’s, but they are just fasion hats.

• warren thompson | May 7, 2008 at 12:31 pm |

[quote comment=”267475″][quote comment=”267454″]Rich Products paid $1 million for 25 years of naming rights in 1973…a hefty sum in those days. Had a discussion with another WNYer the other night, and we both agreed Schaefer Stadium in Foxboro was the first to go corporate…until we remembered “Wrigley” Field![/quote]

Tiger Stadium was once also named Briggs Stadium.

• Patrick | May 7, 2008 at 12:36 pm |

• ScottyJ in WV | May 7, 2008 at 12:49 pm |

Check out the Wolverines on-field 5950’s!

Love the Reds big NOB!!!

• lwiedy | May 7, 2008 at 1:00 pm |

[quote comment=”267445″]Great edition today! Thanks to Jeff for sharing his goodies. That “Swingin’ A’s” newsclip was MAGNIFICENT!!![/quote]

Anyone know the “rock band” referenced in the piece? Also for the record, Freddie Mercury didn’t add the moustache until 1980. Perhaps because in 1972, this would have look even more silly with a ‘stache.

• lwiedy | May 7, 2008 at 1:05 pm |

Just a semantics thing that has always bothered me.

Frank[/quote]

That’s my “learn something new everyday” for today.

• Mark K | May 7, 2008 at 1:11 pm |

[quote comment=”267479″][quote comment=”267470″][quote]Buffalo was kind of on the cutting edge… [/quote]

I haven’t heard that since 1901![/quote]

shit dude, how old are you?[/quote]

Never you mind!

• Mark K | May 7, 2008 at 1:17 pm |

[quote comment=”267480″][quote comment=”267470″]

Sorry if it takes us back to the soccer world, but is this what you mean?

BPL’s Bolton Wanderers play at Reebok Stadium.

MLS’ Toronto F.C. plays at BMO Field.[/quote]

Yeah I guess those qualify but I was thinking of real american sports like baseball or hockey.

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 1:17 pm |

NTTAWWT…but…

can we slide the convo back to unis and away from the reds big nobs and freddy mercury’s stache?

/glad i read that after lunch
    //bring it back to ARSEnal v. tottenham talk…i can’t get enough of that

• simon | May 7, 2008 at 1:22 pm |

Canada seems to be the only country that went with NOB on their throwbacks. Sweden’s playing in their retros right now with no NOB (though their classic Tre Kronor hasn’t really changed at all over the years, so you can’t tell that they’re retros). If Canada wanted more historical accuracy, everyone would’ve had “CANADA” above their numbers. That would’ve been cooler.

• Josh | May 7, 2008 at 1:30 pm |

Completely random thought:

Why does college football and college baseball allow logo creep on the jerseys, but college basketball only allows logo creep on the shorts?

• lwiedy | May 7, 2008 at 1:44 pm |

[quote comment=”267508″]NTTAWWT…but…

/glad i read that after lunch
    //bring it back to ARSEnal v. tottenham talk…i can’t get enough of that[/quote]

Hey, I didn’t compare Freddie to Reggie Jackson, MLB Productions did ;-)

• Jon | May 7, 2008 at 1:44 pm |

• Mark in Shiga | May 7, 2008 at 2:00 pm |

[quote comment=”267498″][quote comment=”267485″]Yesterday, we discussed the size of the Red’s NOB Typography.

Check out the Wolverines on-field 5950’s!

Love the Reds big NOB!!![/quote]

Change your name to “Concepcion” and you’ll be singing a different tune!

• simon | May 7, 2008 at 2:02 pm |

Yutaka Fukufuji, who briefly became the first Japanese NHLer last season, has a neat mask. It’s got an American style ninja painted on it, and the Japanese flag on the back.

• Ricko | May 7, 2008 at 2:03 pm |

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 2:03 pm |

[quote comment=”267516″]Renteria started wearing 16 on the Red sox because David wells wore #3 in honor of Babe Ruth. Then Renteria was having such a bad year he wanted to change his luck so he got Wells to switch numbers with him and renteria took 3 and wells(for no reason at all) just took #16.[/quote]

david wells doesn’t do anything for no reason at all…there was either money involved, possibly some wild turkey, maybe he lost a bet…it’s possible edgar had photos…

• Ricko | May 7, 2008 at 2:06 pm |

re: Vikings-Lions both in white. To my knowledge that first half is the only time in NFL history that both teams wore white jerseys. Anyone know of another instance?

• Leo | May 7, 2008 at 2:07 pm |

Chelsea

Team B

• chance | May 7, 2008 at 2:20 pm |

Chelsea

Team B

Not exactly the same – the collar is different.

But is this new? They have almost the same shirt now.

Exhibit AExhibit B

Same template, minor collar difference. Same with the new ones.

• DJK | May 7, 2008 at 2:26 pm |

Thanks for the info. For some reason, I thought purple pants was the original combo. The all-purple, while I’m sure ugly, is a heck of a good trivia question.

• Sean | May 7, 2008 at 2:27 pm |

Just a semantics thing that has always bothered me.

Frank[/quote]

I don’t think so. A no-no refers to a no hitter.

• DJK | May 7, 2008 at 2:31 pm |

[quote comment=”267452″]i dont know if this has been touched on before, but what is up with the overwhelming number of alternate jerseys in the nba playoffs? the only team that always does that, the cavs, have only worn blue once. but the hornets wore yellow twice, the celts have worn their black and green, washington wore their bronze. it seems to me the only teams that havent worn alternates (i havent researched, just based on what ive seen) are the spurs (dont have one), sixers (ditto), and the jazz. has the nba ordered more alternates? have 90% of the teams coincidentally done this? its wierd. you watch new orleans in teal all season and boom, theyre wearing yellow. just kinda bizarre[/quote]

I noticed that too. I wish the Jazz would wear theirs, it is my favorite of their unis.

I thought the Sixers had a red alt?

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 2:33 pm |

Just a semantics thing that has always bothered me.

Frank[/quote]

I don’t think so. A no-no refers to a no hitter.

“In baseball, a no-hitter (also known as a no-hit game, and sometimes called a no-no) refers to a game in which one of the teams prevented the other from getting a hit.”[/quote]

it all depends on which wiki article you want to quote

from the above referenced article:

[quote]no-no

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 2:38 pm |

just to add to the “no-no” nanette debate…

let the debate begin

• Randy Velarde | May 7, 2008 at 2:40 pm |

[quote comment=”267536″][quote comment=”267533″][quote comment=”267462″]Not necessarily Uni-related, but Gavin Floyd nearly threw a no-hitter last night, going 8 1/3 hitless against the Minnesota Twins…however, Minnesota did score a run in the fourth inning.

Just a semantics thing that has always bothered me.

Frank[/quote]

I don’t think so. A no-no refers to a no hitter.

it all depends on which wiki article you want to quote

from the above referenced article:

[quote]no-no

A no-hitter and a shut-out. Thus no hits, no runs. Headline: “Start of something good: Verlander’s no-no may foreshadow future greatness.”[/quote][/quote]

• Jay | May 7, 2008 at 2:42 pm |

Joe Skiba got a shout out on The Wrap-Up Show on Howard 100 (Sirius). Antonio Pierce was “interning” on the Howard Stern Show and was discussing his experience on the Wrap-Up Show.

The talk turned to uniforms when it was pointed out that Ralph’s favorite team is the Chargers, solely because he likes the unis. Anyhow, Ralph dogged the Giants unis, Anonio agreed, but stated that his man Joe Skiba always had them in the best shoes in the NFL…

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 2:47 pm |

[quote]That may be true technically, but atleast nowadays, people refer to no hitters in general as “no-no’s”, especially the media.[/quote]

agreed…see my follow up comment directly beneath the original

im merely stating that i don’t know if either one is “technically” correct…like i said, i’ve always thought of a ‘no-no’ as a no hitter, regardless of whether any runs were scored (although, that is fairly rare but not umpossible)…it does make sense if one is shortening “no-hits/no-runs” to “no-no”…but i think calling a no-hitter (regardless of any runs) a “no-no” is just common parlance

is it right? who knows…prolly “technically” no

• Jim | May 7, 2008 at 2:52 pm |

What the heck does NTTAWWT mean?

• lwiedy | May 7, 2008 at 2:54 pm |

[quote comment=”267538″]just to add to the “no-no” nanette debate…

i’m not saying either is truly ‘correct’, just that one can say “no-no” and refer to a no hitter or to a no-run, no-hit game…to be honest, the “no-no” (runs or hits) makes much more sense, but colloquially, i’d always heard the term strictly to refer to no hits[/quote]

The best “explanation” I’ve heard so far. You shold drop that in “wiki”.

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 2:54 pm |

[quote comment=”267544″]What the heck does NTTAWWT mean?[/quote]

here

• Jim | May 7, 2008 at 2:57 pm |

[quote comment=”267546″][quote comment=”267544″]What the heck does NTTAWWT mean?[/quote]

here[/quote]

Thanks Phil,

Classic episode!!

• lwiedy | May 7, 2008 at 2:58 pm |

[quote comment=”267532″][quote comment=”267523″]re: Vikings’ purple pants. Didn’t wear them until their second season, 1962. Original unis were white pants with either jersey. Only once did they wear all purple back then, btw. Vikings had decided to wear white at home one season. Lions didn’t get the word. Both teams wore white in first half while Vikings equipment folks fetched the purple jerseys. In second half Vikings wore all purple. Very, very few photos from that second half have survived. Only one I have ever seen is one of Tommy Mason running the ball, which I clipped and saved from the Minneapolis Tribune the day after the game.[/quote]

Since youseem like a Vikes fan, do you like the purple pants with the white jerseys?[/quote]

One of the NFL Films Lost Classics shows has game footage of a) white on white action; b) the Vikes changing uniforms at halftime on the sidelines; and c) all purple action. Also an interview with the equipment manager responsible for making the change.

• Walaitis | May 7, 2008 at 2:59 pm |

[quote comment=”267508″]NTTAWWT…but…

/glad i read that after lunch
    //bring it back to ARSEnal v. tottenham talk…i can’t get enough of that[/quote]

Wow I hope that was intentional.

• lwiedy | May 7, 2008 at 3:05 pm |

here[/quote]

I’m GLAAD someone asked, now I get your Freddie post.

• Jim W | May 7, 2008 at 3:09 pm |

[quote comment=\”267509\”]Canada seems to be the only country that went with NOB on their throwbacks. Sweden\’s playing in their retros right now with no NOB (though their classic Tre Kronor hasn\’t really changed at all over the years, so you can\’t tell that they\’re retros). If Canada wanted more historical accuracy, everyone would\’ve had \”CANADA\” above their numbers. That would\’ve been cooler.

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 3:11 pm |

[quote comment=”267551″][quote comment=”267508″]NTTAWWT…but…

/glad i read that after lunch
    //bring it back to ARSEnal v. tottenham talk…i can’t get enough of that[/quote]

Wow I hope that was intentional.[/quote]

which part?

• Tobi | May 7, 2008 at 3:14 pm |

While trying to find some photos at the Phillies web site, I also noticed there is a slight difference between “Phillies” as it appears on the jerseys and as it appears as a logo. On the jerseys, home and away, the “P” slightly overlaps the “h.” In the primary Liberty Bell logo, the “P” and “h” do not overlap.

I’m not a Phillies fan. I just need a life.

• Nicole | May 7, 2008 at 3:32 pm |

Chelsea

Team B

Go Blues!!

• John in KY | May 7, 2008 at 3:34 pm |

[quote comment=”267425″]Sorry,

Jeff’s Pitt helmet:

Kentucky? Blank Schutt Air Advantage:

MPowers – I see no one has gotten back to you on you question about the MacGregor vs. the Schutt helmets, so I’ll take a stab at it. The bottom line is they use virtually the same shell; however, only MacGregor/Kelley made it in the clear shell (I believe Mr. Kelley was the MacGregor distributor in the southwest and bought the line from MacGregor when they decided to get out of the helmet business).

The first of the Air line of helmets (the Air Power) was developed in the mid-1970s by neurologists at the University of Michigan medical school. At that time (the early Schembeckler years) Michigan wore MacGregor helmets, so I suspect that the developers just got some shells from the football equipment manager to start experimenting on, and they designed the air bladder and foam padding system to fit in what they were given. By the way, on the MacGregor clear shell the large hole is just a large vent hole; the developers of the Air Power helmet made use of it as the inflation point for the air bladder.

The University of Michigan team licensened their patents to Bike, who brough the helmet out circa 1976/77 (which I believe is after MacGregor had sold out to Kelley). Bike’s parent company was a surgical materials/devices company and got scared that they would be sued over helmet liability, so they spun off the helmet business as “Air Helmet Inc.” (or maybe “Air Helmet Industries”) or “AHI”. Schutt bought them shortly after they were spun off from Bike.

Most of this is from HelmetHut.com; I’ve added to it from some other sources as well.

• Paul Lukas | May 7, 2008 at 3:35 pm |

• Joey Guns | May 7, 2008 at 3:38 pm |

Chris Cooley is selling one of his 2008 Pro Bowl practice jersey on his website……..

It’s #47. We all know that he wore #21 in the game……so…….just for shits and giggles, I emailed the website and asked if there were any #21 practice jerseys ever made, or if there were any #21 Cooley pro bowl game jerseys for sale.

Chris’s brother Tanner wrote back and said all of the practice jerseys were #47, and that there were only 2 game jerseys with #21 made, and one was sold in an auction, and the other one is framed and in Chris’s house……..

• lwiedy | May 7, 2008 at 3:38 pm |

I’m not a Phillies fan. I just need a life.[/quote]

• Ryan B. | May 7, 2008 at 3:38 pm |

[quote comment=”267562″][quote comment=”267526″]While we’re here, the fact that my beloved Blues now have the exact same kit as some team from up north, truly bothers me. Damned be template designs.

Chelsea

Team B

Go Blues!![/quote]

Maybe I’m crazy, but I’ve always been equally fascinated with the keeper’s kits as with the outfield players. I /really/ like the new Chelsea home keeper’s kit shown in this link.

• Greg V. | May 7, 2008 at 3:41 pm |

[quote comment=”267495″]Is anybody from Seattle? I’m going on vacation there tomorrow and I need a good place downtown to watch the Hornets game tomorrow night. Any suggestions?[/quote]

I’m not from Seattle but I have family there. Since no one else has responded, I’ll suggest the Pyramid Brewery. It is right across the street from Safeco Field. They have big parties there before baseball games so I assume there is a sports bar type of atmosphere. Pyramid Ale is some mighty good stuff too. I have also heard of a place called The Pirate’s Den. It is downtown but I’m not sure where. Enjoy Seattle. It’s a great city.

• lwiedy | May 7, 2008 at 3:42 pm |

[quote comment=”267564″][quote comment=”267557″]I can’t find any photo evidence to link to, but while watching the Phillies-Diamondbacks game last night, I noticed Phils reliever Tom Gordon did not have the blue button on the top of his cap the rest of the Phillies do. I couldn’t tell if there was a red button or no button at all, but there definitely was no blue.[/quote]

We’ve covered this before. Gordon, like a few other players (Keith Foulke, for one), routinely removes the button from his cap.[/quote]

Sorry, Paul, forgot to refresh before I posted.

• simon | May 7, 2008 at 3:48 pm |

[quote comment=”267555″]
    The point is that they are honoring the 1976 Canada Cup team that actually had NOBs – your link is from the 1972 Summit Series.[/quote]
    Ah, makes sense. Thanks. Didn’t realize that the NOB went from CANADA to surnames from 72 to 76.

• Dan | May 7, 2008 at 3:51 pm |

• Dan | May 7, 2008 at 3:53 pm |

sorry that is suppose to be Yaz in the previous comment

• jmart | May 7, 2008 at 3:53 pm |

The best “explanation” I’ve heard so far. You shold drop that in “wiki”.[/quote]

• Joey Guns | May 7, 2008 at 3:56 pm |

I’m not a Phillies fan. I just need a life.[/quote]

I think the button is a Gordon thing. I remember when he was with KC the white button was often missing. Maybe he’s afraid of getting hit by lightening. If he gets hurt again, I’ll ask him about it. In a related matter, J-Rol is expected to play in Clearwater tonight, if your in the neighborhood.[/quote]

Doesn’t Barry Zito also do this?

• Walaitis | May 7, 2008 at 4:11 pm |

im gonna say that a perfect game is with no hits no walks no errors and no runs where as a no hitter is just where there are no hits, it doesnt matter how many walks or errors or runs there and “no-no” is just a term used by sportscasters and has no exact definition[/quote]

I don’t know how credible this information is, but …

• Willy Billy | May 7, 2008 at 4:11 pm |

Sorry if this is a repeat, but check out this logo creep courtesy of thesmokinggun.com:

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 4:16 pm |

I’m not a Phillies fan. I just need a life.[/quote]

and yet, the button isn’t always missing is it?

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 4:20 pm |

i can’t … i’m banned from wiki

ever since i submitted that story about oj simpson being a murderer

• Nick | May 7, 2008 at 4:42 pm |

Enjoyed the piece on Jeff Fedenko. Enjoyed the fact he was wearing a Browns sweatshirt with the Brownie logo even more…

• lwiedy | May 7, 2008 at 4:50 pm |

These guys also shared a uni with Yaz:

• joe | May 7, 2008 at 4:52 pm |

[quote comment=”267454″][quote comment=”267421″]Those old Buffalo Bisons AHL sweaters are fantastic. Here is a great website on the Old Buffalo Bisons which explains the logo here.

There are some fantastic old photos on that site on the top of each page.

except Wrigley was named for the owner PK Wrigley, not the gum itself.

• Walaitis | May 7, 2008 at 4:54 pm |

These guys also shared a uni with Yaz:

• lwiedy | May 7, 2008 at 4:55 pm |

[quote comment=”267597″][quote comment=”267594″][quote comment=”267573″]This is an awesome article about Bob Feller and Yax sharing a jersey. Article claims they are the only two hall of famers ever to share a jersey.

These guys also shared a uni with Yaz:

Is that a different number font, or just what happens when you make a copy of a copy of a copy (have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE the movie Multiplicity????)?[/quote]

I think the latter.

• Jeff | May 7, 2008 at 5:09 pm |

MPowers and John KY,

• joe | May 7, 2008 at 5:20 pm |

[quote comment=”267480″][quote comment=”267470″]

Sorry if it takes us back to the soccer world, but is this what you mean?

BPL’s Bolton Wanderers play at Reebok Stadium.

MLS’ Toronto F.C. plays at BMO Field.[/quote]

why is their logo a sperm?

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 5:20 pm |

[quote comment=”267432″][quote comment=”267426″][quote]by any chance, did Jeff play for the Stoners?[/quote]

what makes you say that, matt?[/quote]

His body type belies one who would have excelled at soccer![/quote]

actually…his body type looks to be quite good for soccer

• =bg= | May 7, 2008 at 5:23 pm |

I’m not a Phillies fan. I just need a life.[/quote]

Doesn’t Barry Zito also do this?[/quote]

I’d call him and ask him, but he’s busy losing games.

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 5:25 pm |

[quote]I’m not a Phillies fan. I just need a life.[/quote]

the two are not mutually exclusive

• John in KY | May 7, 2008 at 5:27 pm |

[quote comment=”267600″]MPowers and John KY,
    Glad you liked the helmet article by Paul. John’s info on the MacGregor/Kelley and Bike helmets was accurate but Bike and MacGregor/Kelley were never affliated (to the best of my knowledge). MacGregor/Kelley were eventually sold to the MaxPro company, (which was another clear shell helmet company) in the early eighties due to liability issues. MaxPro went out of business in the late eighties due to the same liability issues.[/quote]

Jeff is quite correct; I didn’t mean for my post to imply they were affiliated, only that they used a virtually identical shell since they were developed at a school that used the MacGregor helmet. Sorry for the confusion.

• lwiedy | May 7, 2008 at 6:09 pm |

[quote comment=”267606″][quote comment=”267578″][quote comment=”267566″][quote comment=”267557″]I can’t find any photo evidence to link to, but while watching the Phillies-Diamondbacks game last night, I noticed Phils reliever Tom Gordon did not have the blue button on the top of his cap the rest of the Phillies do. I couldn’t tell if there was a red button or no button at all, but there definitely was no blue.

I’m not a Phillies fan. I just need a life.[/quote]

Doesn’t Barry Zito also do this?[/quote]

I’d call him and ask him, but he’s busy losing games.[/quote]

Save it, meat. Gordon does rehab where I work. No hot-doggin’ here.

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 7:20 pm |

[quote comment=”267617″]Save it, meat. Gordon does rehab where I work. No hot-doggin’ here.[/quote]

oh, hey, and another thing, meat…you don’t know shit, all right?

• Bernd Wilms | May 7, 2008 at 7:22 pm |

German Bundesliga outfit Schalke 04 wore 4th jerseys (alternate alternates) against equally blue and white Bochum yesterday. Unfortunately, they didn’t quite get the club emblems lined up, look closely…

• Lauren | May 7, 2008 at 8:12 pm |

• Lauren | May 7, 2008 at 8:21 pm |

• Ian | May 7, 2008 at 8:49 pm |

Surprised it wasn’t mentioned that Sheffield wore #11 in NY because his uncle Doc Gooden wore it in his 1st tenure on the Yankees. (He wore #17 in 2000 because Edward Charles Knoblauch had it then)

[quote comment=”267484″]On the Sheffield/Renteria matter:

I think what the Braves equipment guys were saying is that former Marlins who came to the Braves and wore #11 in Atlanta had success there. Sheffield wore #10 in Florida and Renteria wore #16 when he played for the Marlins, but both Sheffield and Renteria wore #11 in Atlanta.[/quote]

• interlockingtc | May 7, 2008 at 8:55 pm |

What a great, happy photo to open today’s entry: Mr. Fedenko, his daughters, and his helemt collection. Beautiful.

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 8:59 pm |

its 23-0 usa…i thought at first it was a replay of the mets-dodgers game

there’s no slaughter rule???

is the depaul catcher a man?

• Friarbolt | May 7, 2008 at 9:11 pm |

I don’t know how credible this information is, but …

It’s about time. Whenever I hear something referenced from Wikipedia, I roll my eyes and tune them out. User edited material is not that trustworthy.

• simon | May 7, 2008 at 9:12 pm |

Ha, I never knew Sid’s relative was a softball pitcher for the US team!

Olympic teams often have sponsors leading up to the actual Games. Softball ain’t big time, so they probably need all the financial support they can get.

In IIHF action, Swedes wore their throwbacks today, but timeless Tre Kronor didn’t look much different at all. The lack of stripe on the side is nice though. Some teams throwbacks are simply superior to their regular unis, like for Italy and Germany.

• husul | May 7, 2008 at 9:47 pm |

It does get worse……

• jmart | May 7, 2008 at 9:50 pm |

[quote comment=”267642″][quote comment=”267641″]I’m watching the Team USA softaball squad vs. DePaul, and there are KFC logos on Team USA’s right arms. Isn’t there some sort of policy against such explicit advertising on an Olympic uniform? Poor taste, in my opinion.[/quote]
    OK, I should’ve looked it up, Team USA is embaking on their KFC Bound 4 Beijing tour. So now they not only lose points for explicit advertising on the uniform, but also using numerals as words in the title of their tour.[/quote]
    despite the tackyness of the title of the tour i believe it is because the US softball is going for their fourth olympic gold (also hence the three gold stars on the right sleeve of their jersey)

• jmart | May 7, 2008 at 9:55 pm |

despite the tackyness of the title, the US softball team is going for their fourth olympic gold medal so thats prolly why they have the number instead of “for” (this is also why they have three stars on the right sleeve of their jersey one for each gold medal) and yes jenny finch is still playing and she is still smoking hot..i mean a good pitcher

• simon | May 7, 2008 at 10:27 pm |

[quote comment=”267663″]It does get worse……

• husul | May 7, 2008 at 10:32 pm |

[quote comment=”267670″][quote comment=”267663″]It does get worse……

Wow, the buffaslug is now nuclear green! Didn’t choose a very natural looking green did they?[/quote]

Nothing like a little radioactivity to promote earth awareness

• simon | May 7, 2008 at 10:34 pm |

Regarding Hiroshima Carp player Go Kida having “KIDA GO” as his NOB, NPB players are allowed to register basically any name they want, and that will be used as NOB, in media guides, programs, scoreboards, etc. as the official name for the player for that season. Ichiro was famously registered by his first name after a couple of years in the minors. Erstwhile Brewer and Aussie catcher David Nilsson registered himself as “Dingo” when he played part of a season with Chunichi before heading off to the Sydney Olympics.

• Friarbolt | May 7, 2008 at 10:36 pm |

[quote comment=”267670″][quote comment=”267663″]It does get worse……

If that doesn’t get you to worry about recycling, I don’t know what will

• simon | May 7, 2008 at 10:38 pm |

This name registration process is kinda like stage names. Recently Tsuyoshi Shinjo was registered as “SHINJO” (the transliterated romanization version, not the Chinese characters used for his official government documents), and Bobby Valentine’s Marines’ Tsuyoshi Nishioka of WBC fame was registered as “TSUYOSHI” (again romanized) last season, but went back to the more conventional “Nishioka” using his family name’s Chinese characters (ie. ordinary registration).

• Tobi | May 7, 2008 at 10:41 pm |

Ok, I’ll look it up in the archives. Have you covered the overlapping letters thing?

• Tobi | May 7, 2008 at 10:49 pm |

Something came up this week regarding the “no runs, no hits, no errors” definition of a perfect game. (I cover high school baseball) A coach tried to assert that his pitcher had thrown a perfect game, despite a runner reaching base on a strikeout-passed ball. His argument was, there were “no runs, no hits, no errors.”

That phrase is popular when describing a perfect game, as is “27 up, 27 down.” (Which we all know doesn’t always apply, either, since a player could reach base and be picked off) I’d say the best explanation of a perfect game is one in which “no one reaches base,” although I’m sure someone will call me on how that definition is flawed, too.

• simon | May 7, 2008 at 10:56 pm |

For what it’s worth “no-hit no-run” is the commonly used term here in Japan, but “no-hitter” is becoming more popular. Obviously the two have different meaning, but in most cases a no-hitter is a “no-no” game anyways.

As for batters reaching base on errors in otherwise perfect games, interesting, never thought about that.

• LI Phil | May 7, 2008 at 10:56 pm |

By definition, a perfect game must be both a no-hitter and a shutout. Since the pitcher cannot control whether or not his teammates commit any errors, the pitcher must be backed up by solid fielding to pitch a perfect game. An error that does not allow a baserunner, such as a misplayed foul ball, does not spoil a perfect game. Weather-shortened contests in which a team has no baserunners and games in which a team reaches first base only in extra innings do not qualify as official under the present definition.

The first confirmed use of the term “perfect game” was in 1908; the current official definition of the term was formalized in 1991. Although it is possible for multiple pitchers to combine for a perfect game (as has happened nine times at the major league level for a no-hitter), to date each major league perfect game has been a complete game by just a single pitcher.

Over the past 131 years of Major League Baseball history, there have been only 17 official perfect games by the current definition (approximately one every eight years).

In sum, a perfect game is thrown once in about every 11,000 major league contests. For comparison, more people have orbited the moon than have pitched a Major League Baseball perfect game.

• Azul Army | May 7, 2008 at 11:36 pm |

[quote comment=”267655″][quote comment=”267581″][quote comment=”267576″][quote comment=”267545″][quote comment=”267538″]just to add to the “no-no” nanette debate…

I don’t know how credible this information is, but …

I mean someone could go on there in the Oakland Raiders section and say that the Raiders have the nicest uniform in football, when we all know that the Chargers’ Powder Blues cannot be touched.[/quote]

I also agree about the Wiki reference. When I finished my degree, we were specifically advised to not use Wikipedia as a credible references for research or papers. Clearly, any schmo can upload info which may or may not be accurate.

• Azul Army | May 7, 2008 at 11:44 pm |

its 23-0 usa…i thought at first it was a replay of the mets-dodgers game

there’s no slaughter rule???

is the depaul catcher a man?

lisa fernandez is on the bump…does jennie finch still play…cuz she’s sofa king hot quite the pitcher[/quote]

Wow. Insulting that catcher is uncalled for. I’m sure her dad, if he were reading, wouldn’t appreciate that. You may be a dad as well, and I’m sure you wouldn’t appreciate the comments directed at your daugter.

How about YOU “slide the convos back to unis?”

• LI Phil | May 8, 2008 at 12:01 am |

[quote comment=”267692″][quote comment=”267652″][quote comment=”267641″]I’m watching the Team USA softaball squad vs. DePaul[/quote]

its 23-0 usa…i thought at first it was a replay of the mets-dodgers game

there’s no slaughter rule???

is the depaul catcher a man?

How about YOU “slide the convos back to unis?”[/quote]

fair enough…i only saw one inning of the game, so i never saw the catcher bat

in my defense, the catcher is named jack tarulli fisher and i only observed the catcher in full gear (including face mask)….and to me the catcher looked somewhat ‘male’

i apologize to the catcher’s father if he is reading

and to slide this back to unis…i wasn’t all that impressed with team usa’s unis, nor was i a fan of the kfc patch

also…the game was played on march 26, 2008 (which i did NOT know at the time)…i only flipped to it when i read the comment by lauren that the game was on

• SteveT | May 8, 2008 at 4:17 am |

Regarding soccer/football shirt sponsorship, for some teams the relationship between the club and the main sponsor becomes so synonymous that their shirt looks strange without that logo on it. Particularly if the shirt manufacturer makes an effort to colour coordinate the advert with the rest of the shirt.

A good example would be Brondby IF from Denmark, who are sponsored by Codan. I’m a collector and these are amongst my favourite examples. The shirt would look empty without the logo and yes, that first one is a brown shirt with powder blue highlights.

For many years, Ajax of Amsterdam sported this unique vertical sponsorship but will sadly switch to the usual horizontal format this coming season.

Sadly, my team of choice, Celtic have to play in this.

I could bore you to tears with the minutiae of this relationship, so just the keywords: Rivals, Coors, Womans team, alcohol.

• James Craven | May 8, 2008 at 7:22 am |

And the French doesn’t allow beer sponsors on jerseys or sideboards. That’s sofa stupid.

• Mark K | May 8, 2008 at 8:39 am |

[quote comment=”267682″]For comparison, more people have orbited the moon than have pitched a Major League Baseball perfect game.[/quote]

Allegedly.

• Priester | May 8, 2008 at 8:49 am |

During last nights Jays broadcast (top of the 7th or 8th if anyone wants to go back on MLB.TV to watch) they talked about the mouth guard that McGowan and Marcum have both been trying out. Apparently it is one of these , designed to improve jaw alignment, which apparently does a whole bunch of good stuff including increasing your strength and flexibility. Sounds like a bunch of bull to me, but the way these guys have pitched so far this year seems to lend some credibility to it.

• scott d | May 8, 2008 at 9:10 am |

from a Cincinnati news/commentary site (thelotd.com)

* So, Monday I asked Paul Bako the probing question nobody else had the guts to ask — why high socks sometimes and low socks others?

“I’ll make it easy for you, high socks are day games,” Bako said. “I started mixing it up last year. I enjoyed the feeling, there’s more breathability, a little more air flow for the day games and stuck with it.”

I asked if he ever thought of mixing in the high socks for night games in the summer when it can be pretty toasty. He said no, but added “we’ll see what happens.”

• Tobi | May 8, 2008 at 10:59 am |

[quote comment=”267682″]A perfect game is defined by Major League Baseball as “a game in which a pitcher (or combination of pitchers) pitches a victory that lasts a minimum of nine innings and in which no opposing player reaches first base.” Thus, the pitcher (or pitchers) cannot allow any hits, walks, hit batsmen, or any opposing player to reach base safely for any other reason—in short, ’27 up, 27 down’.[/quote]

Very interesting. Although, as we’ve already established, “27 up, 27 down” does not always apply.

• Frank Mercogliano | May 8, 2008 at 3:15 pm |

Since I started all of this, and it’s been civil and interesting….

*I agree that the no-no is basically just a media term to be used in referring to a no-hitter, but again, I stand by the no-run, no-hit thing, and I specifically remember Joe Cowley’s no-hitter in which he won 7-1 (giving up an earned run, which is hard to do in a no-hitter), and one of the sidebar articles had an opening line of “It wasn’t quite a no-no, but Joe Cowley will take a no-hitter any day of the week”…something to that effect.

*Being in the media in a way, and working with softball and baseball teams, I can tell you the correct usage of “no-no” would be for a no-hit, no-run run game. People just have turned the term into meaning a no-hitter, because lets face it, no-hitters with runs scoring have only happened a few times in the last 40 years…

September 8, 1993-Darryl Kile-Houston 7 New York Mets 1
    September 19, 1986-Joe Cowley-Chicago White Sox 7 California 1
    July 28, 1976-Blue Moon Odom/Francisco Barrios-Chicago White Sox 2, Oakland 1
    July 29, 1968-George Culver-Cincinnati 6, Philadelphia 1

So I can see how no-no eventually morphed into being used to signify a no-hitter, I’m just saying it’s a pet peeve of mine.

Frank

• simon | May 8, 2008 at 5:25 pm |

Ah, but reaching on base on strike out passed ball or error, then being picked off or the next batter grounding into double play would still be 27 up, 27 down. Just nitpicking :P

• Tobi | May 8, 2008 at 10:45 pm |

[quote comment=”267950″]*As for the perfect game, it is 27 up, 27 down…if a batter reached on a strikeout-passed ball, then that would eventually be 28 up, 27 down, because it isn’t an out. That batter reached, so it’s not a perfect game.[/quote]

If you were truly “in the media” you would realize that a runner could reach base due to a strikeout-passed ball and then be picked off, leaving the “27-up, 27-down” in effect while killing the perfect game. (See Simon’s note) The fact that you didn’t recognize that right away and it took someone to point that out to you leads me to believe you don’t really know what you’re talking about. Let the big boys conclude the conversation.