Jose Molina’s Ears Are Cold. Always.

molina

It was 49 degrees in the Bronx on Friday night. Chilly, but not exactly arctic. Jose Molina begs to differ. In fact, Jose Molina — from what I’ve been able to find on the photo wire over the last month — begs to differ pretty much every day. He really likes that stocking cap, but only when catching. He doesn’t wear it while hitting.

Keep in mind, just because Molina played, his picture isn’t always on the wire. Here are the dates I’ve found, with the temperature in parenthesis:

April: 2 (46), 4 (50), 10 (62), 11 (49), 12 (57), 13 (46), 28 (48)
May: 2 (49)

Granted, those 46-degree nights can get chilly. But 62? 57? Not hailing from a tropical climate (I’m from Iowa), does 57 for a Latin American player equal 30 for me? I’m not trying to start any sort of racial discussion here — I’m truly wondering. Is 57 cold enough for a stocking cap? And if so, why doesn’t he wear it while he hits? Ponder away. — Bryan

63 comments to Jose Molina’s Ears Are Cold. Always.

• Tom K | May 3, 2008 at 7:09 am |

• simon | May 3, 2008 at 7:16 am |

DEN-CZE

RUS-ITA (Russia even went with their controversial CCCP!)

USA-LAT

• bill | May 3, 2008 at 7:24 am |

When the weather is under 45 I wear a stocking cap to drive into work. It’s a 45 mjn drive and it keeps the heat in. I don’t see any problem with Molina wanying to be comfortable. I think this one is a non issue. Do we know how windy it was. That could be a factor.

• Stuby | May 3, 2008 at 7:55 am |

• Vincent A. Cipollone | May 3, 2008 at 8:35 am |

Well, I’m not hispanic, but I am from Florida, and I can tell you that anything under 70 can get nippy. Keep in mind, though, that Floridians are not well prepared for cold. Either way, people under the 27th parallel get colder at higher temperatures.

• Steve | May 3, 2008 at 9:04 am |

[quote comment=”261165″]Latest dude with the helmet flip: Pat Burrell, after his home run in the bottom of the 10th meant his team would win the game and the other team had nothing else to really do except mosey their way back to the clubhouse in a downtrodden manner.

Meanwhile, in St. Louis, Skip Schumaker had a similar type of HR but forgot to flip the helmet. C’mon Skippy, get with the program.[/quote]
    If only there was an appropriate term to describe such an ending…

Okay, just kidding with that; let’s not start THAT debate again.

• Dan | May 3, 2008 at 9:36 am |

• JP | May 3, 2008 at 10:01 am |

I am from Venezuela and live in Florida. Whenever it gets below 60 I am downright freezing cold. I even turned down baseball scholarships in the north because of the HORROR stories of games being played in freezing rain with 25 mph winds. If I’m not sweating, something aint right.

• Tom V | May 3, 2008 at 10:13 am |

Not uni-related, but a fine show of sportsmanship in girls softball.

• Bill T. | May 3, 2008 at 10:18 am |

[quote comment=”261118″]Russia, Denmark, and USA wore their throwbacks on the opening day of the World Championships in Halifax and Quebec City.

DEN-CZE

RUS-ITA (Russia even went with their controversial CCCP!)

USA-LAT

Something’s not right with the capitalist logo creep on the CCCP uniform.

• The Ol Goaler | May 3, 2008 at 10:32 am |

[quote comment=”261280″]I’d have to venture a guess that Molina wears a cap is because his mask doesn’t fit him correctly or something.. Maybe he had to do it once out of necessity and had a good game so he stuck with it?[/quote]
    My WAG is similar to Dan’s; Jose’s younger brother Yadier always wears his cap underneath his helmet, as does eldest brother Bengie. I suspect Jose finds the stocking cap more comfortable — and his ears are cold!

• Robert | May 3, 2008 at 10:34 am |

Molina’s use of the stocking cap reminds me of the skate punks and other kids that I see wearing those things no matter what the temperature. It makes my head itch just looking at them.

• KJtheGreat | May 3, 2008 at 11:02 am |

If anyone was still interested in that whole “MIKE23” vs NIKE thing, then check this out…New Era got their feathers ruff by this dude and is suing the pants off of buddy:

• Southend James | May 3, 2008 at 11:08 am |

King of the softies in the EPL is Tottenham’s Pascal Chimbonda, known to wear gloves in August. I know London is anything but tropical but come off it…

• Mark K | May 3, 2008 at 11:29 am |

USA-LAT

One of those “beautiful Latvian girls” looks kinda like a dude.

• ALM8319 | May 3, 2008 at 11:31 am |

The MIKE23 case is interesting. i don’t know enough about patent and trademark, but I know we want to protect the investment companies make in their reputation and not let others trade off of it.

The stuff Mike23 does with nike/jordan seems like a derivative work, while this stuff with NE seems like infringement.

• Ryan B | May 3, 2008 at 11:41 am |

[quote comment=”261322″]Not uni-related, but a fine show of sportsmanship in girls softball.[/quote]
    There’ll be a rule against it next season, mark my words.

• Dan from PC | May 3, 2008 at 11:43 am |

[quote comment=”261110″]Bryan’s awesome because i can take a break from all night cramming and at 6 am a post will be up.

By the way, Illinois may have a great football team, but when it comes to final exams we get stuck with 8am Saturday tests which is ridiculous. I hardly blame Mendenhall for leaving early, if i could make a few million I’d be outta here in a second.[/quote]

No complaining about anything to do with college. I’d give thousands of dollars to be back there.

Do a few keg stands for me tonight

• KT | May 3, 2008 at 11:44 am |

Meanwhile, in St. Louis, Skip Schumaker had a similar type of HR but forgot to flip the helmet. C\’mon Skippy, get with the program.[/quote]
    If only there was an appropriate term to describe such an ending…

Okay, just kidding with that; let\’s not start THAT debate again.[/quote]

You\’re not helping. :)

In that game, though, two Cardinals were rocking the old school stirrups: Brian Barton and Brendan Ryan. Can\’t find any photos of Barton.

In other news:

It was Fro-back night in Atlanta.
    Agent Zero was a fashion hero in Washington.
    And I\’ll bet you thought Lou Ferrigno\’s career was over. That\’s just wrong.

• TD | May 3, 2008 at 11:47 am |

re: cap

I wear hats on stage under lights all the time to keep sweat out of my eyes (I shave my head, so other than eyebrows its a clear run).. I would presume that he has discovered that the cap acts as a sweatband as well as extra cushioning for the goalie-style mask.

Sometimes you try something out of necessity and it just works for you.

• Stan aka the took | May 3, 2008 at 11:52 am |

62 is not cold… but it might of been windy. I probably wore shorts that day but are those temps. day or night temperatures? It gets chilly and the wind… I can understand… maybe he has low blood pressure and his extremities are always cold?

• =bg= | May 3, 2008 at 12:41 pm |

Great piece here from Rovell on Under Armour’s new campaign/boxes;

Might just have to get me a pair of these bad boys..

• jr | May 3, 2008 at 1:21 pm |

• MPowers1634 | May 3, 2008 at 1:25 pm |

[quote comment=”261533″]Great piece here from Rovell on Under Armour’s new campaign/boxes;

Might just have to get me a pair of these bad boys..[/quote]

Rumor has it that the University of Maryland has severed it’s ties with Nike and par for the school is going with unis made by the UM alums at Under Armour!

• Dave | May 3, 2008 at 1:27 pm |

I was at the stadium last night, it was beyond cold enough for a cap. I wish I would have brought one.

• MPowers1634 | May 3, 2008 at 1:38 pm |

• KT | May 3, 2008 at 1:51 pm |

No, but here’s the story.

Fitting tribute, I think. It’s all in danger of being overdone by this point, but this is a nice way to do it.

• Randy Miller | May 3, 2008 at 2:08 pm |

Considering a national championship in basketball and the best football season in a zillion years, I suspect Trajan’s not going anywhere.

• Jason L. | May 3, 2008 at 2:38 pm |

• KT | May 3, 2008 at 2:47 pm |

[quote comment=”261679″]Does anyone know offhand if Molina’s head is bald/shaved? He may wear the cap to provide a little additional padding there when he’s wearing the catcher’s helmet. Similar idea to what Dan said, and this might be an additional factor.[/quote]

Doesn’t appear so

• Jeremy | May 3, 2008 at 3:08 pm |

[quote comment=”261593″]On my way home from the golf course today, I spotted what must be this guy’s favorite spot to get some cherry garcia![/quote]

• ArsenalGunners7 | May 3, 2008 at 3:10 pm |

I’m from Nicaragua and now live in AZ, so definitely anything in the low 60’s is nippy for me. Whenever the temp drops ( In Nicaragua ) to the low 70’s and 60’s people break out the Jackets and knit caps. He played for LAA so that sure didn’t help much with climate adjustment.

• Mike | May 3, 2008 at 3:26 pm |

I was supposed to be at this game, tickets are still on my fridge, but work needed me more…..jackasses.

Washington is wearing the Grays “home” jersey with the W on the sleeve.
    Nats-Pirates

Dig the Nats socks….sweet!

• Valjean | May 3, 2008 at 3:28 pm |

Several up on Yahoo’s gallery.

Caps looks sweet — but the modern batting helmets always take down the throwback look, imho.

• lwiedy | May 3, 2008 at 3:52 pm |

[quote comment=”261453″][quote comment=\”261240\”][quote comment=\”261165\”]Latest dude with the helmet flip: Pat Burrell, after his home run in the bottom of the 10th meant his team would win the game and the other team had nothing else to really do except mosey their way back to the clubhouse in a downtrodden manner.

If only there was an appropriate term to describe such an ending…

Okay, just kidding with that; let\’s not start THAT debate again.[/quote]

You\’re not helping. :)

In other news:

It was Fro-back night in Atlanta.
    Agent Zero was a fashion hero in Washington.
    And I\’ll bet you thought Lou Ferrigno\’s career was over. That\’s just wrong.

(Also, not uni-related, but there were some shenannigans going on with the Cubs last night. Not that there\’s anything wrong with that.)[/quote]

Everything else on Barton is an absolute (uni) mess.

• lwiedy | May 3, 2008 at 3:57 pm |

FOX’s Jeannie Zalasko (sp.?) said Shumacher took advantage of the Cubs outfield playing in. They really should pay more attention to the scouting reports “POSITION RF IN BLEACHERS VS. SCHUMACHER”.

• simon | May 3, 2008 at 4:21 pm |

The German throwbacks look much better in person, simple but powerful, than in print. FIN 0 – 0 GER after the 1st.

• Stephen | May 3, 2008 at 4:24 pm |

The WHC is a weird example of that “out-of-country board advertisements” thing talked about a while ago – except, it’s all European ads and placements (EG, Skoda’s the major sponsor). Including what looked like a SEGA ad, which is almost amusingly anachronistic.

• simon | May 3, 2008 at 4:30 pm |

Yeah, Skoda’s the main sponsor of IIHF events, so they even had that centre circle ad at Sapporo, Japan for the Division I (1 tier below elite) competition, looked kinda surreal when I went to see the games. Most of IHWC viewers are European, so it makes sense. Damn, those Germany unis look sweet tho.

• simon | May 3, 2008 at 4:53 pm |

Here’s the picture from the CRO-UKR faceoff in Sapporo, Japan. Looks like Europe, doesn’t it with the Skoda faceoff circle?

• MPowers1634 | May 3, 2008 at 5:21 pm |

[quote comment=”261722″][quote comment=”261593″]On my way home from the golf course today, I spotted what must be Schoolrel=”nofollow”>this guy’s favorite spot to get some cherry garcia![/quote]
    Just out of curiosity, where is that? Cause there is a place called Wally’s not far from where I grew up. Can’t remember if that’s the typography, but it looks familiar.[/quote]

New City, New York

Which is where all of the kids end up going and some playing sports at Clarkstown North High.

• Ryan | May 3, 2008 at 5:39 pm |

Here’s some ESPN coverage

• Max | May 3, 2008 at 5:40 pm |

[quote comment=”261612″][quote comment=”261571″]The Nationals are playing the Pirates today and both teams are wearing throwbacks with “Grays” written on the front. Any pictures yet?[/quote]

No, but here’s the story.

Am I the only one who does a double-take, though, when white guys are wearing Negro League uniforms? Just sayin’.[/quote]

I want to see the Reds wear Negro League throwbacks of the Cincinnati Clowns.

Dusty Baker would fit is well.

• Mark in Shiga | May 3, 2008 at 5:46 pm |

Those IIHF jerseys do look amazing, but Denmark and Germany seriously misaligned the numbers on the backs. Were they planning to add names to the backs and then decided not to? They left a big blank space above the numbers.

Even with that, though, they look great. USA too.

• Lee | May 3, 2008 at 5:51 pm |

The exorcisim begins….Tennessee Titans Coach Fisher makes rookie remove No. 32 jerseyAt least for a few minutes Friday, it appeared the Titans might have found their next
    No. 32.

Undrafted rookie running back Rafael Little from Kentucky walked onto the field wearing the number previously worn by Pacman Jones — but removed it after a chat with Coach Jeff Fisher.
    “He’s not going to be wearing that,” Fisher said. “We had discussed it this morning and for some reason someone told him to get dressed and come out. But that won’t be his number. … He’d prefer to wear a different number than 32 and you can read into it all you want.”

No Titan wore the number last season. Jones, who is still on suspension, was traded to the Cowboys last week. Asked if the Titans were retiring the number or exorcising it, Fisher said: “I’m sending it to Dallas.”

• yo | May 3, 2008 at 6:51 pm |

im guessin the hat is a comfort thing with the catchers mask

• James Craven | May 3, 2008 at 7:10 pm |

And in some semi-unrelated news to uniforms, Julio Franco has retired. In honor, MLB will retire the age of 49.

• simon | May 3, 2008 at 7:16 pm |

Julio didn’t make it to 50!? That’s a shame..

All IIHF retro jerseys seem to be going with no NOB, Switzerland is playing in throwbacks right now with no NOB.

• Mr. Marcus from B-More | May 3, 2008 at 7:50 pm |

From the UnderConstruction website about the portland beavers…….

• ChrisN | May 3, 2008 at 7:51 pm |

This Atlanta Journal-Constitution article indicates that Georgia Tech will return to its traditional home uniform combo of white jersey / gold pants.

• Mr. Marcus from B-More | May 3, 2008 at 8:17 pm |

[quote comment=”262015″]From the UnderConstruction website about the portland beavers…….[/quote]

of course I mean the underconsideration site…

• Mark K | May 3, 2008 at 8:29 pm |

Some logo creep in the Kentucky Derby where winner Big Brown had UPS corporate logos on the jockey’s pants and race sponsor Yum! Brands logo on the saddle cloth…

• KT | May 3, 2008 at 10:11 pm |

Homestead Grays shots:
    Nationals
    Pirates

• Tony In Erie | May 3, 2008 at 10:23 pm |

Boy what a great tribute. Uniforms looked great, looked REALLY throwback for some reason, and honestly, I didn’t see any crazy logos. Very nicely done. Too bad noone watched it.

One thing you won’t see in here: a screen grab from a Pirates game. HAHA

• Robert | May 3, 2008 at 10:36 pm |

Man, the D-Backs’ black jerseys are seriously ugly.

• James Craven | May 3, 2008 at 11:00 pm |

“Je ne peux pas croire que j’ai secoue la main frigging de ce type.”

• simon | May 3, 2008 at 11:08 pm |

Wow, those are some seriously fantastic throwback Grays tributes. And it’s neat that both teams wore them with team colours. Did the actual Grays really use both black/gray and red? Either way great.

More IIHF throwbacks and they look great, Swiss and Germany used them on day 2.

SUI – FRA

GER – FIN

• Eric | May 3, 2008 at 11:29 pm |

I grew up in the tropics (New Guniea) and I can definitely see how someone from a climate in a similarly placed region would find high 50’s low 60’s as relatively cool.

• Eric B | May 4, 2008 at 12:16 am |

my readership has been kind of spotty lately so i don’t know if this has been covered but athletixnation.com is running a contest to outfit a high school basketball team with all new gear.

i’ll keep an eye on this and see what the winning team comes up with.

• James Craven | May 4, 2008 at 6:22 am |

As for Post #56: See “Ciccarelli, Dino”.

• Bill | May 4, 2008 at 9:29 pm |

[quote comment=”262145″]And in Montreal, where those classic unis are done for the season, they’re thinking in Les Habs locker room:

“Je ne peux pas croire que j’ai secoue la main frigging de ce type.”[/quote]
    I can’t believe I shook his frigging hand!

• Roadie | May 5, 2008 at 6:23 pm |

Living in a valley in California where one month last year we had 17 straight days of 100 degree heat I can say that anything under 75 is freezing for me

• Jason | May 7, 2008 at 10:28 am |

I don’t mind cold weather, but I like being warm so I am always the first one to put on a hat and gloves in the fall and take them off in the spring. Am I going to suffer if is a bit chilly? Not really, but I have the hat and it will keep me warm so it’s not an issue–even if I am the only one on the block with a hat on.