Day One Without Paul: All Good

FBL-PORT-SPORTING-NACIONAL

First things first: Paul has a new Page 2 column here.

As daunting as it is to be handed the keys to Uni Watch with instructions that include “Don’t screw it up,” even more daunting is starting the week with a picture that isn’t from the NFL Draft. Picture lots of guys with No. 1 jerseys, template-stamped hats, and awkward smiles — all accompanied by Roger Goodell and RBK. Sweet.

So instead of all of that, which is boring to begin with, you get this guy. It’s Miguel Veloso of Sporting from the Portuguese liga, and he’s one of the few men in the world who can go with a faux-hawk, a mullet, AND a chin strap. And highlights! But I need help, futbol fans — what are those black splotches on his sleeve? I’m assuming it’s a sponsorship thing, but it’s hard to find information (in English, at least) for a Portuguese team. So enlighten us, if you will. I have no prizes, no authority to give prizes, and no desire to give prizes. So just tell us what the deal is, huh?

I’ll be here all week: Here’s how things are going to go — we’ll have a main entry and a ticker, which will be compiled by Vince. There may be a couple of standard daily posts, but for the most part it’ll be in the weekend format. And that means a picture and a quick paragraph or two, followed by the standard daily discussion. Since most of us are grownups, it goes without saying that we should be all be able to handle ourselves. But if you can’t, you’ll get a warning and then the boot. So be cool, just like Miguel Veloso. —Bryan

And Now a Note from Paul: Yeah, I’m in New Orelans by now, stuffing my face with crawfish, but over the weekend I got an interesting communiqué from a reader named Sean Fish, who’s a student at USC’s Marshall School of Business. He wants to make Uni Watch the focus of a school assignment he’s working on. I’ll let him explain it in his own words:

I’m a long-time reader and occasional contributor to the Uni Watch comments section. My class about online media has a final project that I think could be interesting if done on Uni Watch. The project is a study of an online community (in my case, Uni Watch), and the basis of the study is to find out how members of the community joined, how they communicate, whether they meet in person (or stay anonymous), and how they feel the community has affected their daily lives, among other things.

I have some questions below. If you can take a moment, it would be great if you could answer by e-mailing me your response at sfish [at] usc [dot] edu. Even if you can only answer some of the questions, any information you can provide will be very useful.

Thanks in advance for your help. But most of all, thanks for creating a unique, nationwide community of Uni Watchers! Keep up the good work.

Here are the questions:

1) What is your view of Uni Watch as an online community? Do you consider it a community? To what extent is it, in your view?

2) If you do view Uni Watch as an online community, what makes Uni Watch an online community to you? Do you feel included in the community? Is there any way that it could be made into a stronger community? Would you want it to be a stronger community?

3) How did you discover Uni Watch? Were you specifically searching for a place to share your thoughts/feelings on sports uniforms? Did you you find it on ESPN?

4) How involved are you in Uni Watch? Do you post comments frequently? Occasionally? Rarely? Never? Read Daily? Occasionally?

5) If you post on the comments section, do you use a pseudonym or part/ all of your name? Do you prefer to be anonymous to your fellow readers?

6) Have you ever made contact with a fellow Uni Watcher outside of the blog/message board?

7) Have you ever met a fellow Uni Watcher?

8) Have you attended a Uni Watch Party?

9) Have you thought about initiating a Uni Watch party without Paul’s involvement (i.e., even if he’s not passing through your town)? Why or why not?

10) Have you started a serious relationship (friendship or more) through Uni Watch?

11) Do you regularly read or participate in other uni-centric blogs, such as the ones Paul links to on the site?

12) If I have missed anything, please feel free to add it here.

And there you have it. I spoke with Sean after he first contacted me, and I’m intrigued by his project, which I think strikes at the heart of what many of us find so remarkable about this site (i.e., that a bunch of strangers congregate each day to share some very specific niche-driven information). I encourage everyone to participate to whatever extent you’re able.

And now over to Vince for today’s Ticker….

Uni Watch News Ticker: Interesting old jerseys up for action here and here. … Figure skater Cecelia Colledge, who competed in the 1932 Lake Placid Olympics when she was only 11 years years old, died a few weeks back. Check out the amazing sweater she wore at the 1936 Olympics, where she won the silver. … You’ve heard of ivy on the Wrigley Field wall? The St. Paul Saints have put their own spin on that maneuver. … Further news here about those Chinese sneakers that some of the Rockets are wearing (with thanks to Brett Crane). … Remember that Colts secondary logo contest? Jon Gates notes that choice No. 4 has changed since the voting started — it was originally this, but then it changed to this. Hmmmmmm. … Steven Wyder notes that Matt Garza has been pitching with a visible underbrim sticker for a couple of starts now. … Brian Temke notes that Ryan Braun was wearing Mike Rivera’s helmet the other day. … There he goes again. … The Rams’ memorial patch for Georgia Frontiere will look like this. … James from Knoxville shares some pics from local Farragut high school where the baseball team has a throwback doubleheader each season, complete with uni’s and concession prices. … Fascinating article on a man who designed some jerseys for his youth group to wear when they saw the Pope at Yankee Stadium and the newfound demand for his wares (a blessing to Jim Roddy for the info). … The University of Cincinnati unveiled new Adidas football uni’s. Bleh. … Those new super speedy Speedo swimsuits that have the whole sporting world aflutter have apparently angered Japanese swim coaches because Japanese athletes have to wear only suits by Mizuno, Asics, or Descente. One coach is calling for those manufacturers to make something as fast as the new LZR Racer. No word on if they want the same creepy x-ray vision aspects or not (thanks to Jeremy Brahm). … I’ve got a feeling we can all agree that this guy has to have the coolest damn socks in the entire Turkish basketball league (with thanks to Matt Eliot, who attended this game in person and captured the sock beauty). … James Poisso notes that Louisiana Tech’s new end zone design will mimic the team’s jersey design.

139 comments to Day One Without Paul: All Good

• Stuby | April 28, 2008 at 8:13 am |

Great job this morning, guys. Keep up the good work.

Interesting that the horse painted on the wall in the Obama basketball clip is kinda similar to the Colts secondary logo option that was replaced.

• Darin | April 28, 2008 at 8:21 am |

The “black splotches” are part of puma’s design template. and are used on many jerseys.

• JB | April 28, 2008 at 8:23 am |

The logo on the umpire’s mask is probably that of the manufacturer, All-Star…

• Darin | April 28, 2008 at 8:24 am |

i’m apparently incapable of linking, sorry
    sporting cp:
    bourdeaux:
    tottenham:

• Kevin | April 28, 2008 at 8:27 am |

The Umpire mask is All-Star brand.

• Natron | April 28, 2008 at 8:38 am |

Apparently, the St. Paul Saints are adding the corn to the right field wall to replace the fan they had hanging on the wall the past few years.

• Robert | April 28, 2008 at 8:51 am |

That is a nifty project, Sean Fish. Be sure to share your results.

• Bob | April 28, 2008 at 8:51 am |

• Novi | April 28, 2008 at 8:54 am |

• Shaftman | April 28, 2008 at 8:59 am |

I read the site everyday, but typically prefer not to comment. However I don’t understand some of the comments that are made on here. The UniWatch group is a group that can be somewhat pretentious, and almost a little snobby to those who don’t “Get It.” But for the people here who do “Get It” how can you mistake the All-Star logo for a D-Backs logo?[/quote]

All-Star vs Diamondbacks logo.

Photo in the Ticker.

• LI Phil | April 28, 2008 at 9:00 am |

[quote]Matt Garza has been pitching with a visible underbrim sticker for a couple of starts now[/quote]

he’s also a ghost

im a-skerred now

• Derek | April 28, 2008 at 9:01 am |

Bryan i have a few questions-
    Are you as obsessed with stirrups as much as paul is?

What is your take on the color purple?

What are your favorite uniforms from the NBA, NHL, NFL, and MLB

• Steve | April 28, 2008 at 9:04 am |

Take it easy, Bob…..you sound a little pretentious yourself with that comment.

Cut these guys some slack — they were probably cross-eyed from staring at the Portugese liga futbol pic and trying to figure out what the black coloring on the sleeves was. That, and they were probably too busy getting today’s ticker together…..so ease up, chief

• Walaitis | April 28, 2008 at 9:21 am |

Probably best to wait until Paul is out to share this tidbit I found in the “Cubs Journal” book by John Snyder (June 24, 1884):

Returning home from a long road trip, the Cubs unveal new lavender uniforms and defeat Providence 8-0 at Lakefront Park.

• LI Phil | April 28, 2008 at 9:25 am |

post of the day…and it’s spam

• Buccigross Fan Club | April 28, 2008 at 9:33 am |

[quote comment=”256459″][quote comment=”256457″]Alan Topolski wonders if umpire Mike Winters, who was working the weekend’s Tigers/Angels series, was wearing an Arizona Diamondbacks mask. It certainly looks like it, no?

All-Star vs Diamondbacks logo.

Photo in the Ticker.[/quote]

I think All-Star needs to take a page out of the University of Wisconsin legal playbook and sue the Diamondbacks!

• Nolan | April 28, 2008 at 9:34 am |

You’ll fit right in guys.

• Jack H. | April 28, 2008 at 9:40 am |

On the Colts secondary logo contest:

I go to Hillsdale College, a liberal arts school in southern Michigan. While looking at those Colts secondary logos, I noticed that a lot of these logos look like our school’s athletic logo. We’re the Chargers, and for some reason our logo is a horse with a lightning bolt. It used to look like number 5 on the Colts secondary logo contest, only way more 80s (we also used to have this logo, which for some reason has a lightning bolt striking backwards…everyone hated it). I bring this up because it seems like all of these logos in the contest look very unprofessional, like they might be designed for a small division 2 liberal arts college. Why are all of these so lame?

Also, as a side note, I cover our baseball team for our newspaper (which has already been linked to), and I’ve noticed that division 2 baseball uniforms are, in general, really lame. ALmost no one we played had whites or grays – every team wears colors, ALL THE DAMN TIME! It’s so freaking irritating. Just take a look:

Here’s our team, wearing blue. I wouldn’t mind the blue, except it has these stupid white gusset thingys on the shoulders. Here’s a back view. Even worse, it seeme like every other team we play has a variation of this jersey in various colors: Wayne State (not exactly the same but still has dumb sleeves), U of Indianapolis, and Northwood (of which I couldn’t find a picture for either because their athletics websites weren’t working, but I swear both are exactly the same only in black).

Supposedly we have white jerseys but they never wear them. Now, we also have another colored jersey – a black one. Normally I don’t like black, and black isn’t even part of our color scheme, but I think these ones are particularly sharp for some reason – they look a lot better than the blues, and they look even better when the players cuff their pants high (which you can see vaguely in the background here).

• James P. | April 28, 2008 at 9:42 am |

Paul didn’t mention it, but basically Louisiana Tech’s endzones mimic the name plates now. Louisiana Tech is also making a jersey change to a different style sholder stripe than the old UCLA inserts. From what I have been told, they will have something called a Syracuse stripe insert.

• kj | April 28, 2008 at 9:45 am |

post of the day…and it’s spam[/quote]

• Steve | April 28, 2008 at 9:48 am |

Was this pic removed from the ticker or something? I don’t see it AT ALL!

• Stuby | April 28, 2008 at 9:48 am |

[quote comment=”256469″]On the Colts secondary logo contest:

Sorry for the info overload but I just had to get it off my chest how much I hated division 2 college baseball jerseys. (Although I do commend Mercyhurst College for having a nice set of road grays reading simply “‘Hurst” across the chest. Nice work).[/quote]
    Why does your school newspaper use a bald eagle as it’s logo?

• Bryan Redemske | April 28, 2008 at 9:58 am |

[quote comment=”256461″]Bryan i have a few questions-
    Are you as obsessed with stirrups as much as paul is?

What is your take on the color purple?

What are your favorite uniforms from the NBA, NHL, NFL, and MLB[/quote]

Obsessed? No, but I like a good stirrup. I especially like some of the striped stirrups from the 40’s and 50’s.

Purple (insert blasphemy here) … I don’t mind it, though I much prefer it as an accent color, rather than a jersey base. Like the Vikings … ugh. But as a trim color in small amounts, it’s not so bad. And I say that with confidence, because I know Paul won’t read this. Ha!

NBA: I don’t really watch basketball, but the Bulls have managed to hold on to a classy design.
    NHL: Pretty much any of the original six, plus I like Dallas’ white jersey.
    NFL: Bears and Colts. RBK has added so much extra crap to so many uniforms that these two stand out for their simplicity and understated beauty.
    MLB: Cubs home, Red Sox home, Pirates home. They just all look good.

• ginsk | April 28, 2008 at 9:59 am |

LSU wore their throwbacks again yesterday vs south carolina
    hope the links work

• RedWing in Colorado | April 28, 2008 at 9:59 am |

Re: Colts secondary logo and the gym logo in the Obama vid.

Most of the commenting on here has remarked on how vanilla and cheap looking the Colts alternative logos are. I find it funny that the Mustang logo on the wall in Kokomo is in a middle school, and the logo is almost identical to something an NFL franchise an hour from there wants to use. Pitiful commentary of the Colts, who don’t need an alternative, since they have what I think is one of the nicer NFL unis

• ginsk | April 28, 2008 at 10:02 am |
  • chance | April 28, 2008 at 10:19 am |

[quote comment=”256469″]I go to Hillsdale College, a liberal arts school in southern Michigan. While looking at those Colts secondary logos, I noticed that a lot of these logos look like our school’s athletic logo. We’re the Chargers, and for some reason our logo is a horse with a lightning bolt. [/quote]

Borrowed from LA, perhaps?

• Stuby | April 28, 2008 at 10:21 am |

You’ll fit right in guys.[/quote]

• kj | April 28, 2008 at 10:25 am |

• LI Phil | April 28, 2008 at 10:28 am |

sounds like ricky williams

• Stuby | April 28, 2008 at 10:35 am |

sounds like ricky williams[/quote]
    Outstanding.

• Tony In Erie | April 28, 2008 at 10:39 am |

The link to that stellar Pope article from my hometown is no longer working. Leave it to GoErie.com to kill a link like that.

If you folks really want to see it (which, if you want, but I think its kinda silly) go to digerie.com and search for ‘pope jersey’. Probably the easiest way.

• spencer096 | April 28, 2008 at 10:44 am |

anyone mention the fact the Cavs wore their red away unis in the playoffs for the first time since the change?

• dm00n [Doug] | April 28, 2008 at 10:45 am |

Way to go Colts, those horses are all interchangeable. One is just as good as any of the others.

• GoTerriers | April 28, 2008 at 10:47 am |

Potential Memorial patch alert . . .
    John H. McConnell, the majority owner of the NHL Columbus Blue Jackets has died.

Link to Obituary

• Tony In Erie | April 28, 2008 at 10:48 am |

Okay, okay, stop the presses:

Here’s your Benedict jersey

• Marty Met | April 28, 2008 at 10:49 am |

I LOVE the new Bearcats uniforms.

• Smail | April 28, 2008 at 10:52 am |

• Tony In Erie | April 28, 2008 at 10:54 am |

• MPowers1634 | April 28, 2008 at 11:07 am |

[quote comment=”256488″]Potential Memorial patch alert . . .

Link to Obituary[/quote]

If anything could illustrate the depravity of us at UW, it would be this post!

Let our friend at USC dissect that one for a while.

By the way, Phil: Rick Williams, slothlike, herbivorous: Classic!!!

• The Ol Goaler | April 28, 2008 at 11:08 am |

[quote comment=”256482″]Not often you see a player with an umlauted letter in his NOB in a North American league. (Sascha Görres, Richmond Kickers of the USL 2nd Division)[/quote]
    Former St. Louis Rams guard Tom Nütten, who was born in Germany, also “rocked the umlaut”!

• Kris Fulton | April 28, 2008 at 11:12 am |

[quote comment=”256471″][quote comment=”256465″][quote comment=”256464″][…] Bryan Redemske sure knows how to captivate the audience.[…][/quote]

post of the day…and it’s spam[/quote]

Actually, it’s not spam. It’s what’s called a “trackback”–a blog entry that has a link to this entry.[/quote]

Use whatever term you like – but it’s spam. A bot searches recent blog posts for keywords and posts a link to an ad-supported site. You click through, they make money. These aren’t links to real blogs, just repost sites. These posts should be removed, and please, NO ONE CLICK THROUGH THE LINKS – that’s how they make money.

• Chad | April 28, 2008 at 11:16 am |

just saw this as the suns coach was ejected. it’s probably just some designer jersey, but it seems to at least originally been a suns jersey. anyone know anything?

• Geeman | April 28, 2008 at 11:16 am |

Regarding the Orioles’ orange uniforms:

The orange jerseys were worn with white pants and an orange-paneled hat in 1975 and 1976. I remember because I loved them as I kid. I have pictures from magazine articles and baseball cards to confirm this. However, I have no evidence to show that the O’s wore an orange-paneled helmet to match that hat in ’75 and ’76. As I collected helmets in my youth (I have 25-plus from the ’70s and 80s), I tried in vain to have one. I do have the white-front helmet. In 1977 they wore the white-front hat and helmet for all games, even with the orange jerseys. Can anyone tell me if they wore an orange-front helmet in ’75 and ’76, and if so where can I get one?

• Patrick | April 28, 2008 at 11:33 am |

Both uniforms from the Farragut high throwback game are outstanding!

• Ryan | April 28, 2008 at 11:38 am |

That make shift Suns jersey looks like it says “ADIO”. Its a skateboard shoe company. Thats my guess at to what it is.

• Ronnie Poore | April 28, 2008 at 11:48 am |

Regarding the LaTech endzone design…to paraphrase the old Snickers commercial:
    “That’s great, but who are the ECH’s?”
    “Great Googly-Moogly!”

i know, i know, they haven’t painted the “T” yet, but the unfinished design just reminded me of the old candy bar ad.

• orlandor | April 28, 2008 at 11:50 am |

Paul has a new column up on ESPN.

LINKY

• joe | April 28, 2008 at 11:58 am |

[quote comment=”256492″]I actually voted for that new #4 Colts logo. The #2 one looks really dumb; I can’t figure out how they would stitch that on a uniform/stick it on a helmet. Why have a secondary logo if it doesn’t show up on a uniform? The rest of them just look like they were lifted from a Ford car advertisement. Maybe Marlboro. I dunno.

The Colts jersey is about as awesome as you get in the NFL. And Bryan, don’t you think the Browns jersey should be included in your pics for “classy looks”? ;-)[/quote]

The Chicago Bears have the bear head as their secondary logo, isn’t on on the uni or helmet, but its on just about every piece of merchandise they sell.

• Andy | April 28, 2008 at 12:11 pm |

[quote comment=”256491″]Wow, new Colts option #4 looks like it was drawn on the back of a notebook by a 7th grader. A little Mets rickroll redux, anyone?[/quote]

Someone last week mentioned that they should just bring this back.
    I think if you remove the helmet and football outline, and add a little bit of shading or definition (so it’s just just a solid color throughout) that it would do the trick.
    I bet there’s a photoshop wizard out there who could do this in a couple minutes.

• Mike | April 28, 2008 at 12:21 pm |

[quote comment=”256458″]Caught the Angels v. Tigers game last night. Noticed that the Angles’ batting helmets were completely red. I am wondering why the bottom side of the brim isn’t black like their caps. Are other teams with colored helmets the same or do they paint black under the brim?[/quote]

Not sure about blue or red (or old teal) helmets, but I do know Jason Bay of the Pirates has had his bill painted gray for sometime. Bay

• Mike Sanderson | April 28, 2008 at 12:28 pm |

On the nhl.com website, they have a picture of Peter Budaj, but the neck logo on his jersey doesn’t look like Rbk… It kind of looks like Nike/Bauer, but the colours would be reversed, as it looks like a swoosh on the right side, when it should be on the left. It doesn’t look like just a lighting issue…

• Mark K | April 28, 2008 at 12:30 pm |

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned but watching the NFL draft coverage last week it dawned on me that no teams are changing their helmets or uniforms this year. Is that true? When is the last time that’s happened?

• Mike Engle | April 28, 2008 at 12:35 pm |

Who here has the MLB.TV package? Screen grab request:
    Yesterday’s game (Sun 27 Apr), New York at Cleveland, Robinson Cano had a peculiar button arrangement. His top button was closed, but the one under it was open. Never seen that before. Generally, if one button were to be open, it would generally be the top one.

• Jim | April 28, 2008 at 12:37 pm |

I was thinking the same thing! That’s one of the main reasons I watch the draft… to see new changes to uniforms or logos.

This year… nuttin’

• Peter B. | April 28, 2008 at 12:45 pm |

The picture of Rom Blomberg on the front page of MLB.com is a reverse negative. Look at the helmet logo and the lack of the Yankee insignia on his left side.

• Joe Drennan | April 28, 2008 at 12:48 pm |

• Brent | April 28, 2008 at 12:50 pm |

Aside from the fact that the Bearcats did nothing to hide where the logo on the back of their jerseys came from…Auburn’s Cat Eyes logo. It has to be one of the most childish, cartoon looking logos I have ever seen. Auburn’s looks like a tiger. The Bearcat’s logo just looks like the caricature guy at Six Flags had some free time on his hands and threw some random eyes in an oval and colored it black and red.

At least the logo and uniforms match their football program…..terrible!!

• Lee | April 28, 2008 at 12:52 pm |

• brian | April 28, 2008 at 12:53 pm |

fausto carmona from the cleveland indians also wears a sticker under his hat like that

• Enrico Palazzo | April 28, 2008 at 12:54 pm |

• Ryan B | April 28, 2008 at 12:54 pm |

[quote comment=”256473″][quote comment=”256469″]On the Colts secondary logo contest:

Why does your school newspaper use a bald eagle as it’s logo?[/quote]

A *lot* of newspapers do. Since the bald eagle is the national animal, it makes sense to have something representing the freedom this country provides as its logo.

When I worked for the UConn student paper (The Daily Campus, () we NEVER used the Husky as our paper logo. Apparently they still don’t.

• Ryan B | April 28, 2008 at 12:55 pm |

I’m hoping that closes the link.

• brian | April 28, 2008 at 12:57 pm |

here is a pic of carmona with his sticker

• Jack H. | April 28, 2008 at 1:00 pm |

[quote comment=”256473″]
    Why does your school newspaper use a bald eagle as it’s logo?[/quote]

Because we have a strange fascination with “educating for liberty in America” or some such bullshit…our school is run by a lot of conservative flunkies. It’s weird.

• Stuby | April 28, 2008 at 1:01 pm |

I haven’t had time to check the rosters on all the NFL team sites – only 4 or 5 so far, but the 49ers are the only team I’ve found that has already assigned numbers to all their draft picks (scroll to the bottom of the roster).

• Juan Grande | April 28, 2008 at 1:07 pm |

You’ll fit right in guys.[/quote]
    The Bearcat is one of those mascots that sounds fierce, but in reality lives in trees, is mostly herbivorous and sloth-like. It cracks me up that Cincinnati is using the angry bearcat eyes and ‘catscratches’ on the pants. Fear the Binturong!![/quote]

He can leap around! Look at the bones! He’s got sharp teeth!

• Stuby | April 28, 2008 at 1:09 pm |

The roster on the Falcons site says Matt Ryan will wear #2; WR Michael Jenkins already has #12.

• James | April 28, 2008 at 1:18 pm |

HUGE sporting CP fan here in the US, and I’m ecstatic to see they made uniwatch. Veloso has actually been criticized on more than one occasion by Scolari (the Portugal national team manager) for being more concerned with his looks rather than his form on the pitch.

Oh and as someone stated, the black marks are just part of the puma template.

• jmart | April 28, 2008 at 1:28 pm |

• Dan King | April 28, 2008 at 1:29 pm |

[quote comment=”256522″][quote comment=”256481″][quote comment=”256468″]Congratulations to the Cincinnati Bearcats for being promoted to The Arena League.

You’ll fit right in guys.[/quote]

He can leap around! Look at the bones! He’s got sharp teeth![/quote]

reminds me when Case played Cincy in hockey last year and someone came up with a poster saying Bear + Cat, What the hell is that?, sadly the Cincy players had absolutely no idea.

• adr | April 28, 2008 at 1:35 pm |

Colts secondary logo:

First thing I thought of when I saw this was the CFL’s Calgary Stampeders.

• Rick White in Cedar Park, TX | April 28, 2008 at 1:37 pm |

[quote comment=”256512″]So this is completely off topic, but my wife is pregnant with our second child – we’re having a boy this time. We’ve decided to name the boy Gus. I’m a huge Cubs fan so I played with the Cubs logo to read Gus instead of Cubs and we’re going to make a lil onesie for him. My wife is a Twins fan and I thought I’d do the same with the Twins logo, but I don’t know what font they use for their main logo. Anybody have any clue?[/quote]

Congratulations!

I don’t know what the Twins font is, just wanted to congratulate you and your wife on the new “draft pick”.

• Rick White in Cedar Park, TX | April 28, 2008 at 1:39 pm |

[quote comment=”256527″]Colts secondary logo:

First thing I thought of when I saw this was the CFL’s Calgary Stampeders.[/quote]

Or SMU?

• LI Phil | April 28, 2008 at 1:41 pm |

they’re not these or these are they?

• LI Phil | April 28, 2008 at 1:43 pm |

[quote comment=”256529″][quote comment=”256527″]Colts secondary logo:

Or SMU?[/quote]

or ford

• derek | April 28, 2008 at 1:57 pm |

Top 10 most useless jerseys

• Joseph Cleever | April 28, 2008 at 1:58 pm |

The black jersey spots appear on every Puma soccer jersey I’ve seen.
    The spots are clear on Rennes (Ligue 1 France) unis.

• Neil | April 28, 2008 at 2:03 pm |

Just finished reading Paul’s new ESPN column. Did Yogi ever wear pants?

• Jason | April 28, 2008 at 2:04 pm |

[quote comment=\”256516\”]The Tribe wore their old school alternates two days in a row. Wonder if they\’ll bring em out tonight for the final game w/ NY. I say make \’em the permanent home unis.[/quote]

The Tribe will wear their home whites tonight. The new alts are for Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. They will also wear their blue tops for Tuesday home games.

• Mike | April 28, 2008 at 2:07 pm |

I was reading up on yesterday’s Nationals game and it looked like at least three players, Zimmerman, Johnson and Lannon were wearing their pants high showing off redlegs. Was anyone else at the game to say if everyone was doing this, or just this group? two of the three

• derek | April 28, 2008 at 2:16 pm |

• James Craven | April 28, 2008 at 2:21 pm |

[quote comment=”256516″]“The Tribe wore their old school alternates two days in a row. Wonder if they’ll bring em out tonight for the final game w/ NY. I say make ’em the permanent home unis.”[/quote]

Doubt that. They only wear ’em for home day games.

• Mike Edgerly | April 28, 2008 at 2:26 pm |

[quote comment=”256531″][quote comment=”256529″][quote comment=”256527″]Colts secondary logo:

Or SMU?[/quote]

or ford[/quote]

Correct me if I’m wrong, doesn’t urban legend have it that Lee Iacocca saw SMU play at Michigan in the early 60’s and decide to name the Ford Mustang after them? (according to Wikipedia)

Also, didn’t the Stamps more or less steal the logo from SMU?

In other news, I can’t believe no one’s commented on this Inter Milan kit from yesterday…

• Lee | April 28, 2008 at 2:33 pm |

Interesting fluff piece about a Milwaukee Bucks fan (insert joke here) who makes a t-shirt for each game he attends.

Clever T-shirt messages are making him a fan favorite at Bucks home games

Nedeljko “Ned” Eremija isn’t on the Milwaukee Bucks’ roster or payroll. But he might as well be.

Eremija stands as a beacon of hopefulness in an otherwise disappointing Bucks season. Go to the Bradley Center for a home game, and chances are you’ll see him just behind the south basket, cheering on the team on as players come through the tunnel for starting-lineup introductions.

Known as “The T-shirt Guy,” Eremija wears his fanhood on his sleeves, quite literally. Every game he’s at, he sports a different custom-printed T-shirt with a positive and usually humorous message.

• RS | April 28, 2008 at 3:07 pm |

My god, that’s awful. It looks like the Loch Ness monster with a lightning bolt on it, more like a sticker for an Asia concert, than a football team.

Any word whether the St. Paul Saints plan to have the ghosts of deceased baseball players come out of that corn to have a catch with their regretful sons?

• Jim | April 28, 2008 at 3:08 pm |

• War Damn Eagle | April 28, 2008 at 3:16 pm |

• Marty Met | April 28, 2008 at 3:23 pm |

Norm Greene

• LI Phil | April 28, 2008 at 3:38 pm |

[quote comment=”256543″]Looks like someone slipped on the quality control when making Jeff Otah’s Carolina Panthers jersey:

at least it didn’t say “03-50” like chris long’s

• jmart | April 28, 2008 at 3:46 pm |

[quote comment=”256530″][quote comment=”256525″]i was recently watching the warriors and realized that the gang the baseball furies, who wear baseball uniforms, all wear sttirups and wear them pretty well in fact.[/quote]

they’re not these or these are they?[/quote]

i dont believe so lol

more like this

• Kris Fulton | April 28, 2008 at 3:58 pm |

The safe pick would be Modano, seeing he will be a Star legend and you’d be able to wear the jersey long after his retirement. Other ones I’d consider are Zubov, Turco, and Morrow seeing they have been on the team for years now. Only thing is Turco and Morrow have never won a cup with Dallas, Zubov has. If that matters to you. If it was my jersey I’d get a Modano, but it’d be on a Minnesota North Stars Jersey :)[/quote]

• adr | April 28, 2008 at 4:10 pm |

[quote comment=”256547″][quote comment=”256542″][quote comment=”256537″]Im thinking of getting a white authentic Dallas Stars jersey and i was wondering what player to get, i want a player that will be with the team for years. Any ideas?[/quote]

I’d pick Brenden Morrow or Brad Richards – I don’t think either one of them will be going anywhere for a while. If you’re looking for a forward pick Morrow, defense Richards.[/quote]

• My Name is Not Earl | April 28, 2008 at 4:18 pm |

Any reason why Chris Long’s jersey didn’t have the “Georgia” patch?

• Kris Fulton | April 28, 2008 at 4:20 pm |

[/quote]Err… I haven’t followed Dallas too closely, so maybe they’re experimenting with positions, but Brad Richards was a center with the Lightning before he got traded to Dallas.[/quote]

Of course he is…not too sure who I was thinking of…

• Mike Sanderson | April 28, 2008 at 4:32 pm |

Mike Ribeiro wouldn’t be too bad of a pick either. He has been tearing it up recently in the playoffs.

• Rick White in Cedar Park, TX | April 28, 2008 at 4:48 pm |

Y’know … we’ve been pretty good girls and boys today without Dad … I mean Paul around.

Let’s keep it up the rest of the week. It shouldn’t be too hard.

• War Damn Eagle | April 28, 2008 at 4:54 pm |

• chance | April 28, 2008 at 5:00 pm |

[quote comment=”256549″]Any reason why Chris Long’s jersey didn’t have the “Georgia” patch?[/quote]

Becuase it was a team-issued jersey from the 2003 season.

Now, you can ask why they would use a five-year old jersey for the photo op, but that’s another question….

• chance | April 28, 2008 at 5:02 pm |

[quote comment=”256553″]I think Jacksonville might lead the league in first-letter-initialed-NOBs next year. They have 5 players on the roster named Williams after drafting Trae Williams and Thomas Williams. The others are Reggie Williams, Mo Williams, and Brian Williams. Those two picks might need more than just a “T.”, too. The Jags also have Troy Williamson.[/quote]

Do the Jags specifically use first initals as their team style? The NFL doesn’t require it any longer, although with that many Williams on the field the League might reinstate the rule….

• War Damn Eagle | April 28, 2008 at 5:04 pm |

True, the league doesn’t require it, but this might be a situation that warrants initials.

• Sean | April 28, 2008 at 5:07 pm |

Thanks to all who have responded to my survey so far. I have gathered a lot of information. If you haven’t responded, please try to take a few minutes to do so. I will send Paul the results once everything is compiled.

• Stuby | April 28, 2008 at 5:11 pm |

Wow, that beats all the guys named Lewis on the Ravens a few years back.

• =bg= | April 28, 2008 at 5:23 pm |

NSFW! (and OT)
    This was posted back here awhile ago..worth remembering. It was 25 years ago tomorrow that Lee Elia imploded..

• Brad | April 28, 2008 at 5:28 pm |

[quote comment=\”256497\”]just saw this as the suns coach was ejected. it\’s probably just some designer jersey, but it seems to at least originally been a suns jersey. anyone know anything?[/quote]
    That is a jersey for the Adio Sol Patrol…the groups of people who do the in-game entertainment, giveaways, dunks etc for the Suns.

• LI Phil | April 28, 2008 at 5:35 pm |

[quote comment=”256559″]NSFW! (and OT)

reminds me of sparky

both classics

• Slam | April 28, 2008 at 6:05 pm |

According to Sportslogos.net, SMU and the Stampeders came out with their running horse outline logo in the same year (1968). Very suspicious. They must have used the same marketing firm. It was also a few years after the Ford Mustang came out (1964).

• Cory D | April 28, 2008 at 6:29 pm |

• RS | April 28, 2008 at 6:31 pm |

I was watching the Suns/Spurs on Sunday. Anyone have any idea what’s the story behind Brian Skinner’s ridiculous facial hair?

Looks like he accidentally dipped the lower half of his beard into his venti mocha latte.

Thank god the Cavs traded Drew Gooden. I’d hate to see him try to top that.

• LI Phil | April 28, 2008 at 6:38 pm |

[quote comment=”256563″]Anyone see Paul Pierce got fined 25,000 dollars by the NBA for a “menacing gesture” towards al horford? I just watched the video and hes holding up an Okay sign!! Since when we holding your pointer and thumb in a circle menacing?[/quote]

is this the sign he made?

cuz…um…that don’t mean “OK”…k?

• =bg= | April 28, 2008 at 6:43 pm |

Or SMU?[/quote]

or ford[/quote]

Reminds me of the T-shirt I saw once:
    “Ponies..Polo…Porsches..and Probation. Nowhere but SMU”

• Pretty Boy Paulie | April 28, 2008 at 6:45 pm |

[quote comment=”256484″][quote comment=”256483″][quote comment=”256481″]The Bearcat is one of those mascots that sounds fierce, but in reality lives in trees, is mostly herbivorous and sloth-like.[/quote]

sounds like ricky williams[/quote]
    Outstanding.[/quote]

Hahahaha Bravo!

I think the new uni’s are ok…It’ll look better without the big stripe along the side of the jersey. I’d keep the thin piping along the shoulders.

• Terri | April 28, 2008 at 6:59 pm |

I’d say def. go with Modano. He’s been with the team since they drafted him first overall (in ’88 or ’89, I can’t remember),and he’s the only player left that played on the North Stars too. He has 3 more yrs on his contract, after which he’ll prob. retire and be inducted into the hockey HOF. Plus, he’s the all-time American scorer and he’s well-respected around the league. He’s a good choice from any angle.

• Briggs | April 28, 2008 at 7:22 pm |

Good article on ESPN about Oregon’s football uni’s as a recruiting tool.

• Mark MihaIik | April 28, 2008 at 7:23 pm |

Hey Bryan… it looks like your boy Carlos Guillen has been working on expanding his “pieces of flair.” Have you ever seen a guy wear more medial lower leg armor?

• Chuck Ryals | April 28, 2008 at 7:44 pm |

How long ago did the Philadelphia Flyers switch to those awful black jerseys? Watching tonights game, I see a wash of ORANGE in the seats. Whats wrong with this picture?

• brian | April 28, 2008 at 8:02 pm |

hey paul, i read your article on ESPN.com about smoking in sports. I t was great. You should do one on chewing tobacco in sports. It doesnt have to be on ESPN but it would be cool if you could do one on your site.

• jmart | April 28, 2008 at 8:12 pm |

Watching tonights game, I see a wash of ORANGE in the seats. Whats wrong with this picture?[/quote]

from 1966-67 until 1996-97 they had the same setup white at home and orange on the road with black pants but then with the alternate jersey era sweeping through the nhl they introduced a black jersey. in 2001-02 they took out the orange jersey but reintroduced it the next year and kept the orange on in the rotation until this year when each team was only allowed to have two jerseys and philly obviously went with the black jersey

• Stuby | April 28, 2008 at 9:09 pm |

Hey Phil, maybe he can get the guys in the bullpen to wear stirrups too.

• Mike D | April 28, 2008 at 9:15 pm |

• LI Phil | April 28, 2008 at 9:38 pm |

well…he can’t possibly go 0-33 there

can he?

• E_Ro | April 28, 2008 at 9:41 pm |

Lundqvist is still wearing the traditonal knit socks, not the new lame shiny rbk things. Pretty picture too

• Stuby | April 28, 2008 at 9:46 pm |

well…he can’t possibly go 0-33 there

can he?[/quote]

• LI Phil | April 28, 2008 at 9:48 pm |

well…he can’t possibly go 0-33 there

can he?[/quote]
    You have to pay him anyway, so you might as well pitch him 3-4 innings every single day and blow out his shoulder.[/quote]

seriously…since $$$ isn’t a factor…

would you trade him straight up for heilman and sosa…right now?

• E_Ro | April 28, 2008 at 9:55 pm |

I’ve never seen two goalies take the ceremonial faceoff [link]

• Stuby | April 28, 2008 at 9:57 pm |

[quote comment=”256584″][quote comment=”256583″][quote comment=”256581″][quote comment=”256577″]Hey Phil, maybe he can get the guys in the bullpen to wear stirrups too.[/quote]

well…he can’t possibly go 0-33 there

can he?[/quote]

seriously…since $$$ isn’t a factor…

would you trade him straight up for heilman and sosa…right now?[/quote]

• LI Phil | April 28, 2008 at 10:03 pm |

[quote]If the Mets ate the contract, I’d make that deal in a heartbeat. I’d probably pay half his salary if I were the Giants just to get rid of him.[/quote]

*calling omar*

get pete & sabes on your end

• Boston Joe | April 28, 2008 at 10:06 pm |

[quote comment=”256585″]I’ve never seen two goalies take the ceremonial faceoff [link][/quote]

I believe that is Tony Esposito dropping the puck. Since he is a Hall of Fame goalie,it is a nice touch to have the goalies take the ceremonial face off.

• DCM | April 28, 2008 at 10:23 pm |

Why couldn’t the Colts use thier old horse logo from Baltimore? That was a classic! Sorry if this has been discussed already.

• Ben | April 28, 2008 at 10:25 pm |

• Michael Poplawski | April 28, 2008 at 10:31 pm |

[quote comment=”256573″]How long ago did the Philadelphia Flyers switch to those awful black jerseys?[/quote]

Awful? I agree. The Flyers had some of the most distinctive uniforms in pro sports. The Flyers have one of the best logos, and it’s mostly black, and it looked gorgeous against orange or a white jersey with orange sleeves. Nobody else in the NHL wore orange, and the Flyers wore black helmets on the road. You knew they were in town.

When the black trend came, it was black on black, with tasteless orange and silver 3rd jerseys. Bleah.

All I think of whenever I see the black jerseys, beyond the fact that they’re both boring and ugly, is they’re like the pressing of Smell the Glove that Spiñal Tap get. “None more black.” The Reebok version even features apron strings. Yuck.

• LI Phil | April 28, 2008 at 10:35 pm |

ya know…that DOES NOT look like a cigarette

doesn’t look like a ‘bat’ either
    *cough cough*

hmmmm

• Michael Poplawski | April 28, 2008 at 10:54 pm |

A real eye-opener was picking up a copy of Germany’s Eishockey News on my flight back to Canada last year. It was an NHL preview issue, and there are several dozen NHL players whose names include accented characters.

If the NHL was interested, names like Näslund, Kölzig, Pätzold, Lidström, etc. could get the treatment. But, hey, why them before the French players get their accents, grave et acute? Even the Montréal Canadiens have never seemed interested. I can’t remember if the Québec Nordiques did it.

• Patrick | April 28, 2008 at 11:21 pm |

[quote comment=”256514″]The West Michigan Whitecaps will be wear throwbacks Friday nite as part of a tribute to the ’68 Tigers[/quote]

Page says nothing about wearing throwbacks. “Both teams will be wearing the uniforms of the parent clubs and members of the 1968 Tigers will be on hand to meet the fans and sign autographs.”

• Jeremiah | April 29, 2008 at 12:39 am |

ya know…that DOES NOT look like a cigarette

doesn’t look like a ‘bat’ either
    *cough cough*

hmmmm[/quote]

• Steve | April 29, 2008 at 1:02 am |

Clemens is SCREWED:

• Steve | April 29, 2008 at 1:05 am |

[quote comment=”256598″][quote comment=”256594″][quote comment=”256592″]I just read Paul’s ESPN column on smoking. I was a huge Chris Sabo fan growing up and didn’t realize he smoked…but can anyone identify what he’s holding out in that picture? Doesn’t look like a cigarette to me. Looks like it’s a clear tube (ink pen maybe) unless I’m missing something.[/quote]

ya know…that DOES NOT look like a cigarette

doesn’t look like a ‘bat’ either
    *cough cough*

hmmmm[/quote]

I would agree. It does not look like a ciggie. On a uni note: I always liked those particular Cincy unis, maybe not the white pinstriped caps with the home whites, but those roadies were nice.[/quote]

Looks like a Sharpie to me!

• Joe | April 29, 2008 at 8:16 am |

[quote comment=”256578″]Being Portuguese, I was pleasantly suprised to see Miguel Veloso as the main picture of Uniwatch today. It would have been better if it were a picture of a Benfica player though (big Benfica fan).

Anyways, this has already been answered, but that is the 07/08 Puma template. I’m not sure those black splotches sever any purposes, other than possibly some ventilation? Either way, I think it looks dumb.[/quote]

Sorry, off topic, but…

I would never had bet that-
    A. There would be a Portuguese Team on Uniwatch
    B. That there would be another Portuguese Benfica fan who also visits Uniwatch…

• Ben | April 29, 2008 at 6:09 pm |

ya know…that DOES NOT look like a cigarette

doesn’t look like a ‘bat’ either
    *cough cough*

hmmmm[/quote]

I agree…I liked those unis as well. If only they would have worn the red hat at home instead of those god awful pin striped likds. This was their fist major uniform overhaul since the switch to double knit pullovers almost 20 years earlier! Long overdue!…by the way, that’s not a bat, it’s a cork holder.