Pieces Of Flair

royals

One of my favorite movies is Office Space, which is the kind of flick that, despite being owned on DVD, is watched every time it turns up on TBS or Comedy Central. I think it’s the “It’s not that I’m lazy, it’s that I just don’t care” scene. And, also, there’s the mandatory pieces of flair at Chotchkie’s.

Yasuhiko Yabuta is sporting some serious arm flair here, with a shirt (huge version here) that shone on an otherwise dreary night (5-0 loss, cold as all get the fook out). We highlighted Carlos Guillen a few weeks ago, and teammate Miguel Cabrera could probably be next on the list.

So without putting forth too much effort — because it’s Saturday and all — who’s on your all-time Pieces of Flair team? Guillen is a lock at first, if you ask me, and Barry Bonds is probably a shoo-in in left. Something tells me this team won’t have a lot of old-timers on it … — Bryan

91 comments to Pieces Of Flair

• Mark MihaIik | April 12, 2008 at 7:41 am |

As far as pitchers go (for whom pieces of flair are obviously limited), Clay Buchholz has to have a spot on the All-Flair team.

The dozen or so necklaces that he wears drive me nuts.

• Stuby | April 12, 2008 at 7:52 am |

I’m still trying to come up with a good baseball player with alot of pieces of Flair, but I immediately thought of Allen Iverson if there were a Hoops category.

• Richard Bruns | April 12, 2008 at 8:01 am |

How about Dusty Baker as manager. I don’t like writing on my golf scorecard with my glove on. He’s signing autographs with two batting gloves! And with that, it’s time to go get 18 in, get groceries, watch the Masters, watch the Reds, and drink… and check the comments here, because I could see it being a funny Saturday around these parts.

• Mark MihaIik | April 12, 2008 at 8:41 am |

I don’t mean to go heavy on the Sox here, but Manny and Papi are also obvious choices (both with their interchangeable TPX wristbands, wrist tape, and occasional Phiten sleeves). Sammy‘s another one who always went heavy on the tape and wristbands.

And the All-Flair team needs a coach, right? That’s gotta be Dusty Baker.

• Mark MihaIik | April 12, 2008 at 8:52 am |

Another shoe-in: Tsuyoshi Shinjo

• Shane | April 12, 2008 at 9:18 am |

• Chris in Nashville | April 12, 2008 at 9:58 am |

Does MSNBC.com not have an editor?

“Wonderful Wang – Chien-Ming Wang 2-hitter carries Yankees past Red Sox”

• DrBear | April 12, 2008 at 10:09 am |

• Jeremy | April 12, 2008 at 10:18 am |

[quote comment=”251235″]Does MSNBC.com not have an editor?

“Wonderful Wang – Chien-Ming Wang 2-hitter carries Yankees past Red Sox”

Why is this still funny to people?

• matty blue | April 12, 2008 at 10:32 am |

it’s not “flair” in the sense of ‘office space,’ but when i thought of old-timers trying to go with a “special” look i immediately thought of roger maris or ted kluszewski cutting off their uniform sleeves to show off their arms.

• Mike Engle | April 12, 2008 at 10:34 am |

[quote comment=”251237″]OK, here’s an old-timer: George Scott (Da Boomah!) with his shark necklace that he said was made of “second basemen’s teeth”.[/quote]
    Turk Wendell did that too.
    I say Mike Timlin deserves consideration for his camouflage glove. The battery mate? No contest. Johnny “No Drugs” Estrada.
    And what about Nomar? He still wears his Boston sweatbands and batting gloves, even though they’re faded and they don’t match the Dodgers uniform. It’s as if he lost his sponsorship when he got traded and refused to buy more of his own stock. Oh yeah, and the cherub.

• Joey Guns | April 12, 2008 at 10:34 am |

I gotta add Nomar to the list, for the pin, if nothing else:

• Ryan | April 12, 2008 at 10:40 am |

• LI Phil | April 12, 2008 at 10:43 am |

in the world of golf (and not coincidentally, he’s not playing today)…rory sabbatini has the single biggest piece of flair on the planet…

and what is rory doing today?

two chicks at the same time

• Mike Engle | April 12, 2008 at 11:09 am |

[quote comment=”251251″]I don’t think a camo glove is enough for inclusion…it’s not exactly over-accesorization by any means.[/quote]
    Neither is the shiny shirt.
    I interpreted the question as “Field an all-time baseball team with distinctive accessories, either for one time only or as signature items.” I think the Timlin camo qualifies.

• tmac3217 | April 12, 2008 at 11:31 am |

Lance Parrish, and his blaze-orange catcher’s mitt…

• Stevo | April 12, 2008 at 11:49 am |

“Wonderful Wang – Chien-Ming Wang 2-hitter carries Yankees past Red Sox”

Why is this still funny to people?[/quote]

Because, deep down, all men think like The Todd.

• Brian from Short Island | April 12, 2008 at 12:03 pm |

I’ve got better…

Yankees beat Wang in arbitration

• Ron V | April 12, 2008 at 12:10 pm |

• Michael Lewis | April 12, 2008 at 12:22 pm |

On the 2008 Playoffs section of ESPN, the photo for the Rangers/Devils series has a picture of Jagr with a backwards swoosh at the top of his pants.

I doubt this is new to most of you.

• Leo | April 12, 2008 at 12:28 pm |

[quote comment=”251267″][quote comment=”251240″][quote comment=”251235″]Does MSNBC.com not have an editor?

“Wonderful Wang – Chien-Ming Wang 2-hitter carries Yankees past Red Sox”

Why is this still funny to people?[/quote]

Because, deep down, all men think like The Todd.[/quote]

Oh yeah! Uni Watch Five!

Seriously though, in the world of sports, the king of flair is Mr. Dennis Rodman. That’s both on and off the court.

• BigBootyLover58 | April 12, 2008 at 12:30 pm |
  • DP | April 12, 2008 at 12:50 pm |

I shouldn’t think this, but after reading the description of his shiny shirt, I immediately thought it would have been better to turn the title into a small pun. You know, Pieces of Flare. But that’s just me.

• Cainan Cornelius | April 12, 2008 at 1:01 pm |

[quote comment=”251277″]General Manager of the All Flair team.[/quote]
    I’d have to go for Al Davis for that one!

• Worthy | April 12, 2008 at 1:40 pm |

Where does Sammy Sosa fit in the flair universe? I recall some flying-around gold necklaces, flip-up sunglasses, batting gloves sticking out of his back pockets, and then there’s the leg hardware that got strapped on when he came to bat.

And when he hit a home run, everyone got to see his “O” face. O! O! O!

• MPowers1634 | April 12, 2008 at 2:06 pm |

The last two days there have been Rodman posts. What is the world coming to?

On a good note, the Mets look great today! Pinstripes and Royal Blue cap!

• Matt from L.A. | April 12, 2008 at 2:10 pm |

I would like to nominate Deion Sanders for both baseball and football.

• MPowers1634 | April 12, 2008 at 2:11 pm |

Check these upcoming football cleats for the Fall.

• Stuby | April 12, 2008 at 2:16 pm |

[quote comment=”251285″][quote comment=”251277″]General Manager of the All Flair team.[/quote]
    I’d have to go for Al Davis for that one![/quote]
    Al can be the owner, but he may have to share duties with two other Oakland icons, Former A’s owner Charlie O. Finley and former Warriors owner Franklin Meuli, with his deerstalker cap and rakish beard.

• Luke | April 12, 2008 at 2:17 pm |

Am I the only that’s a little surprised he was allowed to pitch with that undershirt? That would be twice as distracting as the matrix sleeves that the umpires were always on top of…

• Stuby | April 12, 2008 at 2:18 pm |

No wonder I couldn’t find a pic, his name is spelled Mieuli.

• LI Phil | April 12, 2008 at 2:27 pm |

[quote]On a good note, the Mets look great today! Pinstripes and Royal Blue cap![/quote]

how sad is it that we must preface met uni news by noting that “on a good note” they’re actually wearing their official home uni…5 games in…

i would have pushed on the over

• Sports Tsar | April 12, 2008 at 2:47 pm |

im not buyin this one. so all he has is some shiny undershirt? bad example in my book…

• Jim W | April 12, 2008 at 4:05 pm |

Something tells me this team won’t have a lot of old-timers on it … — Bryan

Hang on there Bryan – what about this dude:

• =bg= | April 12, 2008 at 4:21 pm |

Like those new Majestic jackets the NYYs have on now..

• Pretty Boy Paulie | April 12, 2008 at 4:24 pm |

[quote comment=”251302″]Check these upcoming football cleats for the Fall.[/quote]

I saw those the other day on Nike Talk! I’m so hyped to get a pair. I’m gonna throw out my Nike Keystones cleats and wear these for softball instead!

Bravo Jordan Brand! Bravo!…about damn time you do something right with the Jordan III.

• Pretty Boy Paulie | April 12, 2008 at 4:30 pm |

I must have missed this!…. Great, the world hated us enough already. Now we’re dressing up for the World like Martha’s Vineyard SNOBS!

• Pretty Boy Paulie | April 12, 2008 at 4:59 pm |

C’mon people! We’re missing a IMPORTANT member of “Team Flair”….

HAVE WE FORGOTTEN ALREADY?

• Mark in Shiga | April 12, 2008 at 4:59 pm |

• =bg= | April 12, 2008 at 5:16 pm |

[quote comment=”251225″]Haha. San Fran-era Shinjo looks so conservative compared to the camo wristbands.[/quote]

Shinjo- now THERE was a stiff for the Giants. Sheesh.

• Marcus Hall from B-More | April 12, 2008 at 5:25 pm |

how about the bespectacled chris sabo (along with the “i’m tryna lose weight” sweat top underneath his jersey)

• Bryan Redemske | April 12, 2008 at 5:26 pm |

[quote comment=”251334″]Bryan, the guy’s name is Yasuhiko, not Yasuhiku. (“Yasuhiku” would mean “pulling cheaplu”, and I don’t think that’s what his parents would have wanted.)[/quote]

I just copied what the AP Photo Wire had for identification. I’ll change it — thanks.

• Marty Met | April 12, 2008 at 5:29 pm |

All flair team manager has to go to Bobby Valentine with his fake glassess, moustache and novelty nose.

• Marcus Hall from B-More | April 12, 2008 at 5:29 pm |

Ron, that’s AWESOME!!! I’m wondering if you could add the Stars and the Spirit to it (or does the mashup then become too cluttered???)

• Marcus Hall from B-More | April 12, 2008 at 5:35 pm |

Some 90’s flair — Tony Phillips???

• James Craven | April 12, 2008 at 5:35 pm |

Everyone has the Mr. T. starter kit on the All-Flair Team.

Whoooooooooooooo!

Yeah, it is the All Falir Team, right?

• Sammy | April 12, 2008 at 5:35 pm |

Not flair related but….

Today’s Tigers-ChiSox game in Chicago today looked like the worst possible conditions for a baseball game. It was raining, quite hard at some points, and so cold I could see most players’ breath as they pitched and batted. Placido Polanco was wearing his gas station-robber mask, and everyone else was wearing long sleeves and/or a jacket, but the home plate umpire wore a short-sleeved windbreaker the whole game. You can see it in the video clip on this page.

• Loren | April 12, 2008 at 5:37 pm |

Sorry if I’ve overlooked it but,

Has anyone made a Dallas-Ft. Worth pro team mashup yet?

• =bg= | April 12, 2008 at 6:01 pm |

• Pretty Boy Paulie | April 12, 2008 at 6:11 pm |

[quote comment=”251350″]Click here and look for the Major League Baseball tab. The Pinella commercial is hilarious.[/quote]

Yeah that’s an oldie from last year….but a goodie! You finally get an inside view of what one of Lou’s meltdowns would sound like.

• bar57988 | April 12, 2008 at 6:16 pm |

Ah, my favorite pair of Jordans, now if they would make them for baseball players…

• Pretty Boy Paulie | April 12, 2008 at 6:17 pm |

Whoooooooooooooo!

Yeah, it is the All Flair Team, right?[/quote]

I believe we’re missing a member! (when you said Mr. T a light bulb turned on above my head)

How about a representative from the world of Soccer?

• My Name is Not Earl | April 12, 2008 at 7:05 pm |

I just wish that Jung Bong, the former middle reliever, would have been a slugger. I mean, ponder what could have been the headlines: “Bong Hits Lift Braves, 4-2”

• Kevin M. | April 12, 2008 at 7:20 pm |

[quote comment=”251360″]I just wish that Jung Bong, the former middle reliever, would have been a slugger. I mean, ponder what could have been the headlines: “Bong Hits Lift Braves, 4-2″[/quote]

Funny you mention Bong. I was at Turner Field when he made his major league debut and the hippies came outta the word work for that game. All around where signs saying “We want a Bong hit” and many others like that.

• C.J. | April 12, 2008 at 7:51 pm |

I don’t know if I’m the first person to mention this or not, but Baltimoreans have got to let go of the Colts already. For crying out loud, not only do you guys have another, completely different franchise that has won a Super Bowl, but the Colts have won a Super Bowl as the Indianapolis Colts.

• who cares | April 12, 2008 at 8:10 pm |

I nominate Danny Graves for your team’s relief pitcher.

• Marcus Hall from B-More | April 12, 2008 at 8:20 pm |

Yes, I know it hurt. But you guys aren’t nearly as screwed over (now) as Seattle basketball fans will be here shortly.[/quote]

I remember when they left town, i was almost four years old – that memory will always be in my mind. But yes, we have had a SuperBowl winner AND I’m also glad that the Indy Colts won their SuperBowl — sorta like closure in a strange way

• Tony Miller | April 12, 2008 at 8:20 pm |

Not strictly uni-related, but does something look odd here?

• MPowers1634 | April 12, 2008 at 8:47 pm |

That kid looks like Billy Elliot.

• Jonathon | April 12, 2008 at 8:52 pm |

that debate going on yesterday as to whether the A’s and Nationals would wear identical red curly “W” hats on May 4th – the answer is that they won’t. The Nats wear red alternate jerseys at home on Sundays – and the alternate hat has the interlocking “DC” logo, so they won’t be wearing the curly “W” on May 4th.

• LI Phil | April 12, 2008 at 8:55 pm |

the short lived rip-off adumbass, maker of the 4 striped shorts?

• MPowers1634 | April 12, 2008 at 8:57 pm |

Hands down, no argument possible, STARTING at Tailback for the Los Angeles Rams/Indianapolis Colts and hailing from Southern Methodist University: Eric Dickerson!

• David | April 12, 2008 at 9:02 pm |

• mtjaws | April 12, 2008 at 9:05 pm |

The Florida Gators wore practice jerseys for their Spring game today. It included many awful displays of shirts tucked up under the pads. The quarterbacks wore red tops, and a few linemen would put a white jersey over their blue one when they had to switch teams.

• MPowers1634 | April 12, 2008 at 9:35 pm |

Check out the Royals Powder Blues!

• Marcus Hall from B-More | April 12, 2008 at 9:49 pm |

[quote comment=”251382″]Check out the Royals Powder Blues![/quote]

IMHO — This with “Royals” Outlined in Royal Blue would have been better

• LI Phil | April 12, 2008 at 9:50 pm |

[quote comment=”251376″]The Astros will be wearing green hats on April 22 for “Play Green” day. Any other clubs doing this, or is this a Houston thing?[/quote]

holy shit!

that’s also earth day

what are the chances…

• Marcus Hall from B-More | April 12, 2008 at 9:51 pm |

IMHO — This with “Royals” Outlined in Royal Blue would have been better[/quote]

and of course, the numbers outlined in royal blue as well

• MPowers1634 | April 12, 2008 at 10:00 pm |

IMHO — This with “Royals” Outlined in Royal Blue would have been better[/quote]

and of course, the numbers outlined in royal blue as well[/quote]

I agree, Carl!

• Marcus Hall from B-More | April 12, 2008 at 10:18 pm |

IMHO — This with “Royals” Outlined in Royal Blue would have been better[/quote]

and of course, the numbers outlined in royal blue as well[/quote]

I agree, Carl![/quote]

• MPowers1634 | April 12, 2008 at 10:22 pm |

IMHO — This with “Royals” Outlined in Royal Blue would have been better[/quote]

and of course, the numbers outlined in royal blue as well[/quote]

I agree, Carl![/quote]

Speaking of alternate jerseys — this or something like the orange outline on the black letters like this would be better than the current alternate. Then all we need is hometown representation in both a road gray (or even cream) and a road black or orange alternative. And we can get away with black because it’s part of the color scheme!![/quote]

• Marcus Hall from B-More | April 12, 2008 at 10:28 pm |

IMHO — This with “Royals” Outlined in Royal Blue would have been better[/quote]

and of course, the numbers outlined in royal blue as well[/quote]

I agree, Carl![/quote]

Marcus, if you really are from Ballmer, which crew are you partial to: Stanfield or Barksdale?[/quote]

funny thing is, i don’t watch the wire…..

• Marcus Hall from B-More | April 12, 2008 at 10:31 pm |

you gotta love wikipedia

• S. Bennett | April 12, 2008 at 10:31 pm |

[quote comment=”251354″][quote comment=”251344″]Everyone has the Mr. T. starter kit on the All-Flair Team.

Whoooooooooooooo!

Yeah, it is the All Flair Team, right?[/quote]

How about a representative from the world of Soccer?[/quote]

Good idea. May I offer Valderrama’s fellow countryman, Ivan Kavides?
    But, of course, he wasn’t the first.

Back to baseball? This guy is a deadly middle infielder. Actually did some pitching too.

SB

• MPowers1634 | April 12, 2008 at 10:33 pm |

IMHO — This with “Royals” Outlined in Royal Blue would have been better[/quote]

and of course, the numbers outlined in royal blue as well[/quote]

I agree, Carl![/quote]

funny thing is, i don’t watch the wire…..[/quote]

A colleague from work kept telling me about it, so I borrowed Season 1 from my library.

Talk about hooked. I watched all of seasons 1,2 and 3 in about two weeks time last summer.

I then Joined Netflix just to rent season 4 and got HBO for season 5.

I know this is off-topic but by far, the best show that I have ever seen.

Plus there’s always Orioles talk blended in to the dialogue!

• Marcus Hall from B-More | April 12, 2008 at 10:38 pm |

[quote comment=”251402″][quote comment=”251399″][quote comment=”251398″][quote comment=”251394″][quote comment=”251389″][quote comment=”251387″][quote comment=”251385″][quote comment=”251382″]Check out the Royals Powder Blues![/quote]

IMHO — This with “Royals” Outlined in Royal Blue would have been better[/quote]

and of course, the numbers outlined in royal blue as well[/quote]

I agree, Carl![/quote]

funny thing is, i don’t watch the wire…..[/quote]

I then Joined Netflix just to rent season 4 and got HBO for season 5.

I know this is off-topic but by far, the best show that I have ever seen.

Plus there’s always Orioles talk blended in to the dialogue![/quote]

Maybe I’ll give it a chance…..

• LI Phil | April 12, 2008 at 10:54 pm |

[quote comment=”251403″]It’s so sad that a worthy cause such as bringing baltimore back to the road jersey has only garnered under 300 signatures since 2003!![/quote]

baltimore? that’s like being hit in the head with a crow bar once a day…

• Mike Engle | April 12, 2008 at 11:38 pm |

[quote comment=”251374″][quote comment=”251370″]Not strictly uni-related, but does something look odd here?[/quote]

the short lived rip-off adumbass, maker of the 4 striped shorts?[/quote]
    Probably Everlast. I want to think they have a four stripe motif, and they are big into boxing, so maybe it’s a publicity photo for them.
    When I saw the kid, I thought he looked like McLovin, but that’s just me.

• Stevo | April 13, 2008 at 12:01 am |

Which would be the inspiration for “Harold and Kumar go to the Show”.

• Brendan | April 13, 2008 at 1:03 am |

The A’s wore their green alts today for the fifth straight game. The official road jerseys have yet to make an appearance, and likely won’t until at least Monday, as the A’s are 5-0 in green and the starting pitcher gets to choose what to wear.

• simon | April 13, 2008 at 2:01 am |

• simon | April 13, 2008 at 2:03 am |

nice logo too, btw, for the emerald isle.

• Brendan | April 13, 2008 at 2:03 am |

What’s up with the two guys with yellow laces?

• simon | April 13, 2008 at 2:54 am |

There are various coloured laces available with different characteristics, so lace colour’s not part of the uniform.

Here’s the Romania vs Bulgaria with the Romanians looking decidedly Swedish.

Too bad they didn’t follow their football brethren with their funky colours (true to the national flag though).

Here’s the Kiwi Ice Blacks doing their haka on the ice before their game against their archrival Aussies.

Oh yeah, the all black Kiwi and German uniforms look pretty intimidating on ice (even if they remind you of the movie Mighty Ducks rivals Iceland, haha).

• Joey Guns | April 13, 2008 at 3:10 am |

[quote comment=”251433″][quote comment=”251431″]Not sure if this has been covered already in previous posts’ comments. But various levels of ice hockey world championships are currently taking place over these couple of months, with some neat uniforms of course. Ireland has formed a national team recently, and despite the aversion to solid coloured jersey top and bottoms here, I like this Irish look.

What’s up with the two guys with yellow laces?[/quote]

Jagr has yellow laces….

• Tim | April 13, 2008 at 3:26 am |

Hey quick question, whats up with the mashups? I’m in aussie and checked the site and it was all greek to me. Is there a KC one?

Secondly, I love when the road jersey is the city name, and the home jersey is the nickname. That is just the way it should be. When I was a senior in h.s. in 2006 we got new jerseys and our coach was going to have Jaguars on both but I made him call our supplier and change it to West for the road.

That being said, Baltimore looks awesome on the road jersey. Just like the new KC script (as of 2006) looks great. I’m also a fan of the Los Angeles road greys as well as the Old brooklyn road jerseys. Minnesota needs to change to a script road and get rid of their ugly block letters.
    Who else either has the home name on both, or block letter roads?

• Ron V | April 13, 2008 at 3:58 am |

• simon | April 13, 2008 at 5:59 am |

A good look at the Ice Blacks jersey.
    Pretty spiffy.

• E_Ro | April 13, 2008 at 3:40 pm |

[quote comment=”251458″]A good look at the Ice Blacks jersey.
    Pretty spiffy.[/quote]

i need eye bleach pronto

• C.J. | April 13, 2008 at 7:54 pm |

[quote comment=”251449″][quote comment=”251364″][quote comment=”251270″]I updated the Baltimash to include the Baltimore Skipjacks (AHL) for Marcus. If anyone can think of another Baltimore team they want in there I’ll try to work it in. This is too much fun! [/quote]

We went 13 years without a team. I hope you never get a another basketball team. Jerk![/quote]

13 years. Whoop-dee-damn-do. The point was, you have a franchise now, in fact one that has actually won a title, and Seattle won’t have another NBA team for the foreseeable future, barring nothing short of an act of God.

Oh, by the way, I am neither from Seattle nor a Seattle fan. So, chill out.

• SaveFarris | April 13, 2008 at 10:07 pm |

The All-Flair team needs a Second Baseman.