Jack and Meg: Huge College Football Fans

Picture 1.png

Coincidences freak me out. Case in point: Reader Ryan Meyer recently got in touch to say that he was watching an old Cowboys/Redskins game and noticed that the football had white stripes, just like in the NCAA. Okay, good observation, something worth investigating.

Then, a day or two later, Kenn Tomasch told me he’d blogged about his visit to the NFL Experience exhibit at this year’s Super Bowl. And the exhibit apparently included this football, which Kenn described thusly: “Notice anything different about this ball? It has the white stripes often used in the 1940s and 1950s for improved visibility under less-than-optimal lighting conditions. This one was from Super Bowl VIII, but by SB IX the stripes were gone.”

A bit of research reveals that ball in Super Bowl VIII was indeed striped — something I’d never noticed before. But it wasn’t striped in Super Bowls I, II, III, IV, V, VI, or VII, or for any subsequent Super Bowls (trust me, I checked), so why did they use a striped ball for that one game?

All this reminded me of one of my most prized possessions: this “NFL Playbook,” which my father got as a promotional giveaway from American Express back around 1972. It’s filled with gorgeous illustrations, and I seemed to recall that at least one of them included a striped ball. Sure enough — look.

I now realize that I’ve never given much thought to the striped ball. I’ve just kinda instinctively thought of it as “one of those college football things,” like only needing one foot in bounds for an official catch, or stopping the clock to move the chains after a first down. But now that I’ve started to think about it, I have a lot of questions regarding this topic. To wit:

Early college footballs were stripe-free. So when were the stripes added to the ball, and why? When did they become a permanent fixture on the college gridiron?

• Why was a striped ball used in Super Bowl VIII?

• To what extent have striped balls been used at the pro level aside from SB VIII? That Cowboys/Redskins game is one example, and the “NFL Playbook” illustration was presumably based on a photo of a Chargers game with a striped ball — are there other examples? Tomasch’s photo caption indicates that striped balls were “often used in the 1940s and 1950s,” but I haven’t yet found any evidence of that. All the old images I’ve looked at in the past few days (admittedly not a huge number) show a stripeless ball.

• Well, almost all of them. In the course of researching, I came across two photos of Bob Waterfield holding a black-striped ball. It also looks like the ball itself may be paler, almost white, but that may be an illusion caused by the contrast of the black stripes. In any case, I’d never seen a black-striped ball before. What’s the story there? Were black-striped balls ever used in games?

• What’s the point of the white stripes anyway? Tomasch’s blog states that the stripes were designed to create “improved visibility under less-than-optimal lighting conditions. But if that’s the case, why would Waterfield be using that black-striped model? Also: I recall reading or hearing at some point that the two white stripes represented the offensive and defensive lines of scrimmage, and that the space in between them was the neutral zone. Where did I hear this? I can’t remember, but it was when I was pretty young. Any truth to it?

I have a feeling several of you out there know the answers to these questions. Let’s have ’em.

Uni Watch News Ticker: “On Sunday Ohio State gave the three seniors on the team commemorative jerseys hung in a frame,” writes Cody Poppaw. “The odd thing is that they gave them the only jerseys that they never wore for a whole season. They were home jerseys that the team wore for the first half of last season before they switched to the Nike SOD unis.” … Fun piece here about sports-themed lingerie (with thanks to Anthony Atencio). … Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: Last graf of this story has some interesting info regarding UNC’s number-retirement protocols. … Also from yesterday: The little patch under the “V” in this photo is dot dot dot dash, which is morse code for V. … Awesome find by Erkki W. Corpuz, who passed along this photo of Sammy Baugh. Didn’t realize the Redskins had ever worn a Blackhawks-ish jersey design. … Erkki also sent along this classic UNC photo — uni-numbered stirrups!. … Authors sometimes buy large quantities of their own books on Amazon, to increase their position on the best-seller lists. Here’s the sports equivalent of that. … Jake Shaw reports that the Brewers have a minor league shortstop in their system named — wait for it — Brent Brewer. The mind fairly boggles.

206 comments to Jack and Meg: Huge College Football Fans

• Paul Lukas | March 12, 2008 at 7:27 am |

Bad link now fixed.

• Greg V. | March 12, 2008 at 7:28 am |

• Steve | March 12, 2008 at 7:31 am |

• Peter Wunsch | March 12, 2008 at 7:39 am |

Re: lingerie (related): Back in the early ’90’s the NY rangers ran a promotion for fans who showed up at games wearing Rangers attire. They refused to allow my entry claiming that my boxer shorts were not attire. They did allow my wrist bands, however.

• dgc | March 12, 2008 at 7:53 am |

• Kevin G. | March 12, 2008 at 7:58 am |

I remember seeing old NFL Films footage of Bob Waterfield using a white ball (I don’t remember if there were black stripes on it or not). It appeared that these games were either being played at dusk or in the evening.

• Chris Sk | March 12, 2008 at 8:04 am |

How come this stripes on the football in the “NFL Playbook” are on opposite sides of the ball. Was this another pattern used or just artistic licence?

Chargers Photo

• Brandon | March 12, 2008 at 8:04 am |

The football was indeed white. It was a night football.

• Joe H | March 12, 2008 at 8:08 am |

• Steven | March 12, 2008 at 8:08 am |

The CFL still uses a ball with white stripes :

• Brandon | March 12, 2008 at 8:10 am |

To pull a quote from the night football link above:

“The first known official documentation of the use of a white football was recorded in the Providence (R.I.) Journal on November 7, 1929, roughly five years after Msgr. McDermott’s account. Oddly, the game on November 6 at Kinsley Park in Providence gained historical notoriety for another reason at the time — it is credited as the first night game ever in NFL history. Ironically, the Chicago Cardinals were one of the participants that night. Behind the running, passing and kicking of Ernie Nevers, the Cardinals upended the Providence Steam Roller, 16–0. In that game, a white ball was used to help offset bad lighting.”

• Greg | March 12, 2008 at 8:11 am |

In the Detroit picture with the V on the sleeve. How come the player being assisted has the V on his right sleeve and everyone else visible has it on the left?

• Jon Stone | March 12, 2008 at 8:27 am |

• =bg= | March 12, 2008 at 8:31 am |

• Steve | March 12, 2008 at 8:36 am |

[quote comment=”237938″]I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but CNBC is having a minor league basball logo tournament.

Yes. 2-3 times…..

• murray | March 12, 2008 at 8:37 am |

From UNC’s athletic site

Honored Jerseys
    Rising high above the Smith Center floor are the names and uniform numbers of 40 Tar Heel players who performed with great distinction. Seven of the jersey numbers are retired and 33 of them are honored and may be worn by future Tar Heels. A player qualifies to have his number honored if he meets any of the following criteria: ACC Player of the Year; selected by the coaches as MVP of a NCAA championship team; member of a gold medal Olympic team; or a first- or second-team All-America selection.

• john in DC | March 12, 2008 at 8:38 am |

The Hockey News has an article about Oxford (England) University being the second-oldest organized hockey team and their rivalry with Cambridge University. There’s a great shot of the team’s uniform with Toronto Maple Leafs socks.

• Fred | March 12, 2008 at 8:40 am |

Stripes make the ball easier to see, especially when it is in the air. This probably came about with the advent of the passing game and is prevalent in college and high school. Not sure why it isn’t the same as in the pros, probably b/c they play in better, more well lit stadiums.

• Mike | March 12, 2008 at 8:42 am |

According to the Arena Football League website regarding their striped ball: The Spalding AFL Game Ball is specifically designed for higher visibility in the passing game and is made from the finest materials for superior pro-level feel and grip. Recommended for competitive indoor and outdoor play. Horween “Tanned-in-Tack” Leather provides exceptional grip. AFL

Now, when the league started, they used a regular NFL type ball: Early AFL

Now in contrast, I thought the National Indoor Football League had been using white footballs, but on their website, they show this blue one instead. Not sure if that is a promo thing or not. I also see their jerseys are rather…interesting

• Sage Confucius | March 12, 2008 at 8:47 am |

Meet Mr Brewer. Why do some athletes look like they’re having mug shots taken? Practice?

• War Damn Eagle | March 12, 2008 at 8:47 am |

Duke has a similar policy on retiring the number of a player who wins a national player of the year award – but there’s a catch, you must have graduated. That’s why Elton Brand’s #42 isn’t retired, yet. Maybe he’ll finish his degree when his NBA career is over.

• David | March 12, 2008 at 8:47 am |

• BuckeyeMark | March 12, 2008 at 8:51 am |

I seem to recall the stripes being taken off the ball because receivers complained about glare on them – especially in night games. yes, that seems crazy but I recall something about that when the stripes disappeared.

• Mike | March 12, 2008 at 8:51 am |

• BCrisp | March 12, 2008 at 8:57 am |

Brent Brewer should change his name to Bernie Brewer.

• Allan Chandler | March 12, 2008 at 8:59 am |

I’m sorry, but those UNC basketball uniforms are about a million times better than the crap they are wearing these days. Ditch the argyle and get back to the stirrups!

• Jeffrey | March 12, 2008 at 8:59 am |

• Jeffrey | March 12, 2008 at 9:06 am |

btw meg white is hot.

• todd krevanchi | March 12, 2008 at 9:07 am |

There are several UNC honored but not retired jerseys. I thought the actual retired numbers had a special banner, but I may be wrong. Someone who actually goes/went to Carolina probably knows.[/quote]

i posted this yesterday which is basically verbatim from the carolina website:

[quote comment=”237754″]Re: UNC Jersey Retirement Criteria

North Carolina has a strict criteria for how any player will be honored within the Smith Center.
    When a given criteria is achieved, the players number and jersey will either be retired or honored.

A player must be the consensus National Player of the Year to have his jersey retired.

This was mentioned in the article.

That is policy established by the University’s Athletics Council.[/quote]

the photo listed was an old photo. back then, there was no discrimination between retired and honored jerseys other than that the retired jerseys were on the top row.

last season, its 21st season, the smith center had a facelift replacing all of the seats and having all of the banners re-done.
    this included the jerseys. only this time, the retired jerseys, although still on the top row, are distinguished as such.

• todd krevanchi | March 12, 2008 at 9:19 am |

[/quote]

on the left, catasauqua pa.’s larry miller.
    dean smith’s first major recruit, and one of carolina’s all time greats.

• Poisso3 | March 12, 2008 at 9:21 am |

Now, if only the Astros could have Houston pitch to Brewer in Milwaukie…you would have the Houston/Houston jersey vs. Brewers/Brewer jersey!

• ELI | March 12, 2008 at 9:21 am |

Brent Brewer plays for the Brewers

• Rich | March 12, 2008 at 9:25 am |

The Australian Football League uses two different colored balls. A Red one for day games and a Yellow ball for night games.

• Graf Zeppelin | March 12, 2008 at 9:29 am |

When I first played high school football, in 1984, we used footballs (mostly Wilson TD) with white stripes that went all the way around the ball, similar to those pics of the NFL’s white “night ball.” By my soph or junior year, though, the stripes went only halfway round; the top half, specifically (both Wilson TD and Spalding J5-V models), as the NCAA still uses today.

My initial thought at the time was that the full-circle stripe was standard for high school, half-circle stripe for college, no stripe for pro. I doubt this was ever truly the case, but the half-circle stripe seems to have been used almost universally in high school and college since then.

• Jon | March 12, 2008 at 9:30 am |

[quote comment=”237926″]The football was indeed white. It was a night football.[/quote]

My dad gave me a white football with black stripes on it that he had when he was a kid in the early 50s. I lost it in the woods behind my house – that might have been pretty valuable.

• derek | March 12, 2008 at 9:31 am |

this site is consistently the slowest site i visit…and i visit daily. and i just got a new computer…still the site is slow as molasses in january.[/quote]

• lwiedy | March 12, 2008 at 9:32 am |

The rules changed in the late 1970s to outlaw the use of striped balls, and since then, all games have used the stripeless NFL ball.[/quote]

I agree about the Oilers angle to the story. Remember, the Oilers played home games indoors, thus they may(?) have used the striped ball all the time due to the each game being played indoors and under the lights.

• The Ol Goaler | March 12, 2008 at 9:34 am |

• DUCKstyle | March 12, 2008 at 9:34 am |

• Steve Billings | March 12, 2008 at 9:38 am |

• Bryan | March 12, 2008 at 9:40 am |

[quote comment=”237976″]I know we go back and forth a lot about sock/stirrup styles in baseball, and the high/low whites and striped socks in football. But are any other soccer fans here annoyed by the terrible high sock look some guys are wearing? Here’s Jozy Altidore last night, looking terrible. Henry sporting the high socks during his Arsenal days. Admittedly, the low sock look is starting to grow on me. Why not just stick with the classic look? Wondering if anyone cares.[/quote]
    I care….I still roll the socks down and tape them right above the shin guard.

• LI Phil | March 12, 2008 at 9:44 am |

[quote comment=”237964″][quote comment=”237960″]Erkki also sent along this classic UNC photo — uni-numbered stirrups!. …
    [/quote]

on the left, catasauqua pa.’s larry miller.
    dean smith’s first major recruit, and one of carolina’s all time greats.[/quote]

todd–you’re not from catasauqua by any chance, are you?

• lwiedy | March 12, 2008 at 9:46 am |

[quote comment=”237977″]Paul Ranger unfortunately plays for the Tampa Bay Lightning and Miro Satan plays for the Isles and not the Devils. Mike Eagles once played for the Capitals when they had an eagle on their chest.[/quote]

Jeff F-eagles played in Philadelphia.

• MPowers1634 | March 12, 2008 at 9:47 am |

[quote comment=”237929″]“On Sunday Ohio State gave the three seniors on the team commemorative jerseys hung in a frame,” writes Cody Poppaw. “The odd thing is that they gave them the only jerseys that they never wore for a whole season. They were home jerseys that the team wore for the first half of last season before they switched to the Nike SOD unis.”

Same thing happened at Maryland…they gave the seniors last year’s jersey…sooooooooo much better.[/quote]

1. I disagree…I LOVE their new SOD gear.

2. How on Earth did you link to that pic? I can never sucessfully do that?

Your posted address was: http://umterps.cstv....

However, the properties states this as the URL:

Please Help!

• interlockingtc | March 12, 2008 at 9:48 am |

How gorgeous are the Vikings and Dolphins uniforms in that Super Bowl picture?

• War Damn Eagle | March 12, 2008 at 9:55 am |

Korea is still rocking the wide, but abbreviated, pants stripe (and they really look like pants on this guy):

Germany looking very bush-league:

Mexico’s numbers look a little low with NNOB:

• War Damn Eagle | March 12, 2008 at 9:56 am |

Is Ichiro the ONLY player in the bigs who wears Asics cleats?

• John T | March 12, 2008 at 9:56 am |

Slight mixup in the Eircom League (Irish Soccer) last week, the unis for the teams clashed, so the opposing team had to wear the Home teams road unis
    read here for details, sorry, couldn’t find any pics, but the league is not that popular here and does not have a load of media coverage. The funny thing is, this is the 2nd time in a week this has happened (different teams), you think that they would have a schedule available for all.

• Graf Zeppelin | March 12, 2008 at 9:57 am |

[quote comment=”237967″]Brent Brewer plays for the Brewers

personally, I always liked Carl Birdsong, punter for the St. Louis Cardinals as the best last name/team combo[/quote]

I’m sure the Cleveland Browns have had a number of players named Brown; Jim and Courtney being the most obvious.

I always thought Jeff Feagles when he played for Philadelphia Eagles was a good one.

• Mike | March 12, 2008 at 10:07 am |

The absolute worst offender of the awful high socks is that wanker John Terry! The short socks look always reminds me of the Dutch National Teams in the 70’s, or maybe just the 70’s in general. I am def a fan of the classic look

• Matt | March 12, 2008 at 10:15 am |

Isn’t Long Island basically hell anyways? Satan fits in perfectly.xD

• Kevin G. | March 12, 2008 at 10:16 am |

[quote comment=”237974″][quote comment=”237952″]When the AFL and NFL merged in 1970, the NFL ruled striped balls were legal for night games, and most games in the early MNF days used striped balls. What may have happened was the Oilers supplied the NFL with striped balls for the Super Bowl, since in those days, a special commemorative football was not produced specifically for the Super Bowl.

I looked at the striped ball issue some time ago and found no evidence (game footage/photo) after 1975.[/quote]
    Maybe the striped ball was a Texas thing. They were obviously used by the Cowboys in Texas Stadium too. That stadium is almost totally enclosed, so maybe it did have something to do with domes and lighting.

• DrBear | March 12, 2008 at 10:16 am |

1. A href=”http://www.mmbolding.com/BSR/AAFC1950.jpg”>A photo of the white ball in use in the 1950 Eagles-Browns season opener

2. The reason some of the NFL balls had only partial striping was that quarterbacks complained that their thumb would have been on the stripe and slipped slightly when the ball got wet, so the NFL went to partially-striped balls – even had right- and left- handed models. I think the NFL went to the stripes because of Monday Night Football, and then dropped them because of complaints and “because all stadiums now have enough lighting that the stripes aren’t needed.” Quite a few stadiums (stadia?) had fairly bad lighting or lighting designed for baseball; Monday Night Football didn’t play in Lambeau Field until better lights were installed in 1979.

• Gazzoo | March 12, 2008 at 10:17 am |

• MPowers1634 | March 12, 2008 at 10:19 am |

[quote comment=”237962″][quote comment=”237920″][quote comment=”237916″]Okay, this is a question that probably has an easy answer, but I’ll ask it anyway: The Hansbrough article says that he’ll be the 8th retired number. The photo with the article has 19 jerseys in it and it doesn’t have a few of the jerseys include like Jordan’s. So, what gives? Why are there 20+ jerseys up there but only 7 (going on 8) retired?[/quote]

i posted this yesterday which is basically verbatim from the carolina website:

[quote comment=”237754″]Re: UNC Jersey Retirement Criteria

This was mentioned in the article.

That is policy established by the University’s Athletics Council.[/quote]

• DrBear | March 12, 2008 at 10:20 am |

Fried link on the Eagles Browns photo, try this.

• KT | March 12, 2008 at 10:21 am |

Wow, lots of love for me.

I remembered that when the Eagles and Browns played in the first game of the 1950 season after the merger with the AAFC (on a Saturday night), they used a white ball with black stripes, and here it is.

Stadium lighting wasn’t as good then as it is now, and the white ball (or light, if it wasn’t white) had higher visibility.

Here’s another one, of Elroy “Crazylegs” Hirsch, again with the white football.

It’s very possible that I was mistaken (God knows I was mistaken about enough stuff in that NFL Experience post, as many of you were kind enough to point out) and the NFL didn’t use a brown ball with white stripes as often as I thought. I know that some college teams and many high school teams, with even less-optimal lighting (even today) have used the ball with white stripes. Whether it’s now traditional, and it’s used even in the daytime despite it having no real function in terms of visibility, I don’t know.

Sports Illustrated didn’t start until 1953, but checking some covers from that era, I can’t find any shots of guys toting a striped football (though it is a treasure trove of uni-type stuff that would be a great resource for someone who, say, did a blog about sports uniforms.

• KT | March 12, 2008 at 10:28 am |

Ah….but Dr. Bear’s comment above led me to this:

Joe Namath in the first MNF game in 1970. Brown ball. White stripes.

However, good Doctor, I have found a Monday Night game played at Green Bay prior to 1979:

November 9, 1970: Baltimore 13, Green Bay 10

• Al Gruwell | March 12, 2008 at 10:29 am |

Damn, beat me to it. The NFL used a 3/4-striped ball, then went to half stripe for left-handed qbs. Correctly grip a football that is striped and notice, the thumb is on the stripe. Slick in rain, and my guess is that the striped ball was used for that particular Super Bowl b/c it was raining and very overcast. Why college and high school don’t use a non-striped ball has to be b/c of poor lighting.

• C-Dublin | March 12, 2008 at 10:30 am |

Here

And BTW how dope are those hard hats?

• KT | March 12, 2008 at 10:34 am |

Meanwhile, Daryle Lamonica, in the Raiders’ first MNF game in 1970 – no striped football. Which makes sense, because the game would have kicked off at 6pm on the West Coast, and I think they would have still been in Daylight time at the time. A shot that appears to be from later in that same game features Hewritt Dixon, and I can’t tell if there are stripes on that ball or not – the image is too small.

So it’s obvious that the NFL did use a brown ball with white stripes as late as 1970 (and the Super Bowl in Houston). I think it’s a safe bet that they did use a similar ball back in the day (in addition to the white ball with black stripes) and we just haven’t found more photographic evidence of it being used in the 1940s and 1950s. My guess is that there weren’t a lot of night games back then, but I’d have to check that out.

• C-Dublin | March 12, 2008 at 10:36 am |

• Hama | March 12, 2008 at 10:36 am |

• JN | March 12, 2008 at 10:37 am |

just a couple of random notes that aren’t related to one another…

(1) i’m surprised that the xfl ball hasn’t been mentioned

(2) the first thing i thought of when i saw the unc pic was, “so unc was an adidas school back in the day huh?” (in reference to the three blue stripes along the side of the jersey)

• craig g | March 12, 2008 at 10:44 am |

[quote comment=”237982″]How gorgeous are the Vikings and Dolphins uniforms in that Super Bowl picture?[/quote]

The picture has the Dolphins aqua looking too much like blue and the Vikings purple looks too much like blue also.

• Steve | March 12, 2008 at 10:46 am |

[quote comment=”238004″]Hey am I the only one that thinks the Nationals’ mascot Screech needs a DC hat to go with the DC jersey? Or am I the only loser who notices that?

Here

And BTW how dope are those hard hats?[/quote]

The 1st and 3rd base coaches should wear those!

• Al Gruwell | March 12, 2008 at 10:47 am |

Tad Iguchi rocks Asics spikes or at least last year he did.

• KT | March 12, 2008 at 10:47 am |

I’m a football official, and have been a linesman, responsible for measurements. We’ve never ever, to my knowledge, used a stripe on a football for any point of reference.

In other news, here’s a football player from 1964 toting a striped ball, and here’s one from 1965. The first one wasn’t much of a player, but her brother could really score, I’m told. Here’s Namath from 1966 (note there’s no helmet logo) with a striped ball.

(Completely unrelated to the football itself, check out the Dolphins’ first uniform and the Swingin’ A’s and their multicolored combos.)

• JoeS | March 12, 2008 at 10:48 am |

Continued from yesterday:
    [quote comment=”237780″][quote comment=”237763″][quote comment=”237716″][quote comment=”237647″]Awesome striped action from the 1901 Minnesota State Champion Waseca Baseball club.[/quote]
    —-

There is something else quite awsome about that photo…[/quote]

I noticed the same thing, the second thing I noticed after the socks…awesome.[/quote]

Didn’t even cross my mind until I read this. but I guess that’s a good thing, huh.[/quote]

• War Damn Eagle | March 12, 2008 at 10:54 am |

arena football uses a striped football, too:

• JoeS | March 12, 2008 at 10:56 am |

Check out this number placement on the 1897 Carleton College football team.

• KT | March 12, 2008 at 10:57 am |

OJ Simpson, 1969, with striped football.

Mike Garrett, 1970, with striped football.

Zonk in SB VIII.

• JoeS | March 12, 2008 at 11:01 am |
  • MikeR | March 12, 2008 at 11:06 am |

This blog post has a “needless analysis” of the distribution of Red Sox uniform numbers over time, in graphical form.

soxlinks.wordpress.com

• JoeS | March 12, 2008 at 11:06 am |

I’ve heard before that the term “gridiron” comes from back in the day when the field was actually painted as a grid (see wikipedia entry), but had never seen a picture of it until now.

• lwiedy | March 12, 2008 at 11:07 am |

• Kevin G. | March 12, 2008 at 11:07 am |

[quote comment=”238019″]OJ Simpson, 1969, with striped football.

Mike Garrett, 1970, with striped football.

Zonk in SB VIII.

I gotta tell ya – I know SI.com has all of their covers, but this site is better and easier to navigate. It’s amazing. You could use it for so much source material, it’s unreal.[/quote]
    I never knew OJ wore number 36 in the preseason with the Bills. Good find!

• Walaitis | March 12, 2008 at 11:08 am |

[quote comment=”238021″]Striped football in 1903.[/quote]

Is that striped, or written on?

• DUCKstyle | March 12, 2008 at 11:10 am |

[quote comment=”238014″]Continued from yesterday:
    —-

There is something else quite awsome about that photo…[/quote]

I posted the original link yesterday and I have no idea what you are talking about. Why will none of you say, “hey not only are the stripes awesome, but check out the *blanks*!”? What’s up with the mystery? Am I missing something obvious?[/quote]

Black and White guys on the team in 1901. Granted it’s not a Major League team, but this was during the days when guys like Cap Anson said they’d rather quit then play with blacks. So to see that picture was pretty cool.

• lwiedy | March 12, 2008 at 11:10 am |

Perhaps at one time, but in the last day of its use in the NFL it was only used presumably for visibility.

• Mets Fan AZ | March 12, 2008 at 11:12 am |

[quote comment=”238014″]Continued from yesterday:
    —-

There is something else quite awsome about that photo…[/quote]

• KT | March 12, 2008 at 11:14 am |

Valid theory, except Super Bowl IX was played in equally if not worse visibility and no stripes were used.[/quote]

• LI Phil | March 12, 2008 at 11:18 am |

here’s an easy one…who was the first black player to play in the major leagues?

• KT | March 12, 2008 at 11:23 am |

Moses “Fleetwood” Walker, wasn’t it?

• Walaitis | March 12, 2008 at 11:24 am |

here’s an easy one…who was the first black player to play in the major leagues?[/quote]

Moses Fleetwood Walker, of course!

• todd krevanchi | March 12, 2008 at 11:26 am |

[quote comment=”237996″]
    My sister worked in the Duke Athletic Department last year, on the third floor of Cameron, and she went over to a few games at the “Dean Dome”. She is no Heel-Hater but has mentioned on numerous occasions that there is virtually no surface left uncovered by Carolina Blue paint including speakers and the like![/quote]

she’s right. the smith center is one of the most beautiful places in the country.

• DUCKstyle | March 12, 2008 at 11:28 am |

• Graf Zeppelin | March 12, 2008 at 11:31 am |

Oh, most definitely. The Narcisssism Capital of the World.

(No offense to LI Phil, et al.) ;-)

• lwiedy | March 12, 2008 at 11:32 am |

[quote comment=”238033″][quote comment=”238024″][quote comment=”237994″]My guess for the reason striped balls were used in Super Bowl VIII is simply that it was a dingy overcast day and the lights were on for the entire game…perhaps the policy at that time dictated that anytime stadium lights were needed, a striped football was to be used.[/quote]

It was, but since Super Bowl IX was played after Super Bowl VIII, and since I haven’t found any evidence of an NFL player toting a striped football after Super Bowl VIII (yet), it may be that they never used them again, regardless of conditions.[/quote]

Super Bowl IX was the 1974 season. I have seen numerous usages in ’74 and ’75 as well. All of the visuals I’ve seen are from the NFL Films box set “Super Bowl I-XL”. This is a tremendous resource as in addition to the highlight film from each Super Bowl, the accompanying regular season recap highlight film is included, many shots from obscure contests appear. Highly recommended.

• Brick | March 12, 2008 at 11:32 am |

[quote comment=”238013″][quote comment=”238007″]check out the Dolphins’ first uniform[/quote]

Does anyone remember a Dolphins uniform from their first two years with ridiculously fat numbers? The holes in the 4’s and 9’s were particularly tiny.

• Graf Zeppelin | March 12, 2008 at 11:33 am |

Check out the angle of the helmet decal in that Mike Garrett photo. Think the equipment guy was a little sloppy for the meaningless College All-Star Game?

• LI Phil | March 12, 2008 at 11:49 am |

none taken…it’s a shithole

• Breezy | March 12, 2008 at 11:52 am |

[quote comment=”238015″]arena football uses a striped football, too:

So I noticed in comment #19. Dude, read a little before posting.

• KT | March 12, 2008 at 11:58 am |

Paul said:
    [quote]
    Also: I recall reading or hearing at some point that the two white stripes represented the offensive and defensive lines of scrimmage, and that the space in between them was the neutral zone. Where did I hear this? I can’t remember, but it was when I was pretty young. Any truth to it?[/quote]

• Dave | March 12, 2008 at 12:01 pm |

The Kansas City T-Bones (from the minor league poll) got me thinking about something I never understood.

Is Kansas City one physical city overlapping two states? Is it actually one city/municipality? Or is it like two half-circles governed separately that just happen to match up on the state line?

It reminds me a little of Washington DC. DC+Arlington(VA) form a perfect diamond together. The reason is that DC was originally carved out of MD and VA as a diamond. But the VA part ended up going back to VA.

• Mets/Jets Fan in Chicagoland | March 12, 2008 at 12:09 pm |

(No offense to LI Phil, et al.) ;-)[/quote]
    Never been to Naperville, IL, I take it? Now THAT’S narcissism.
    FYI, I live there :-|

• Kevin G. | March 12, 2008 at 12:13 pm |

I think it’s fair to say that striped footballs were used for night games and games in domes or nearly enclosed stadiums (e.g. Dallas). Then it was done away with in the mid-70’s when stadium lighting improved.

• JoeS | March 12, 2008 at 12:13 pm |

[quote comment=”238031″][quote comment=”238014″]Continued from yesterday:
    —-

There is something else quite awsome about that photo…[/quote]

Oh right. That is pretty cool and its cool that I didn’t even notice.

• LI Phil | March 12, 2008 at 12:16 pm |

[quote comment=”238038″][quote comment=”238034″][quote comment=”238031″]I think it was the racially integrated team in 1901. But I’m not sure. That’s why it’s cool that you haven’t noticed it yet.[/quote]

Nice Little Big League reference. But, I believe it’s actually William Edward White, 1879.[/quote]

you want me to say jackie robinson, but I won’t…fleet walker for toledo…i believe the year was 1884

• JoeS | March 12, 2008 at 12:21 pm |

[quote comment=”238051″]Paul said:
    [quote]

Football official here again: the two lines of scrimmage (you are correct, there’s one for offense, one for defense) are demarcated by the forward and rear points of the football, not the stripes. The Neutral Zone is the space between (i.e., the length of the football).[/quote]
    Hey KT, I have been interested in becoming a football official. Can you tell me a little bit about how to get into it and/or any tips? You can get my email address from Paul. Thanks.

• Carl G | March 12, 2008 at 12:23 pm |

This site is always disgustingly slow for me, i have a brand new dell computer too, running on Time Warner high speed internet.[/quote]

I am not really sure what the problem is. This site is basically all small photos and text. I can’t imagine it takes so long to load these things and I have never had a problem. Its not like you are trying to watch a streaming 2-hour movie through the site

• Frank Mercogliano | March 12, 2008 at 12:25 pm |

Usually for senior day you frame up a jersey you are not going to use again….that’s what we’ve always done here at Idaho State.

Frank

• Marty Met | March 12, 2008 at 12:28 pm |

none taken…it’s a shithole[/quote]

• ryan c #40 | March 12, 2008 at 12:33 pm |

Brent Brewer plays for the Brewers

my favorite was when Randall Gay played for the Patriots…

• KT | March 12, 2008 at 12:42 pm |

(No offense to LI Phil, et al.) ;-)[/quote]
    Never been to Naperville, IL, I take it? Now THAT’S narcissism.
    FYI, I live there :-|[/quote]

• Mets/Jets Fan in Chicagoland | March 12, 2008 at 12:52 pm |

[quote comment=”238069″][quote comment=”238054″][quote comment=”238039″][quote comment=”237991″]And of course, everyone wants Miroslav Satan (Sabres, Oilers, Islanders) to play for the Devils…

(No offense to LI Phil, et al.) ;-)[/quote]
    Never been to Naperville, IL, I take it? Now THAT’S narcissism.
    FYI, I live there :-|[/quote]

I did (well, Lisle), until last year. You’re right. I would add “pretentiousness.”[/quote]
    Indeed

• Mets/Jets Fan in Chicagoland | March 12, 2008 at 12:52 pm |

(No offense to LI Phil, et al.) ;-)[/quote]
    Never been to Naperville, IL, I take it? Now THAT’S narcissism.
    FYI, I live there :-|[/quote]

Indeed

• KW | March 12, 2008 at 1:02 pm |

Piazza does/did

• Hama | March 12, 2008 at 1:02 pm |

[/quote]

• Jason | March 12, 2008 at 1:03 pm |

[quote comment=”238008″]And another thing, he doesn’t even have the DC jersey that the teams wears. The DC is supposed to be white

This is all beyond mindblowing to me. I think we can all agree this is lead story worthy tomorrow. Screech wears a fake me out Nats jersey and a Curly W hat with a DC jersey… what has the world come to?[/quote]

Maybe Screech is wearing his home hat with an old bp jersey?

• Jerico | March 12, 2008 at 1:05 pm |

• John T | March 12, 2008 at 1:08 pm |

none taken…it’s a shithole[/quote]

Damn lighten up. You guys are cruel. I’ve never lived on the island, nor am a big fan of it. Ocassionally I will make the trip up to see my beloved Devils beat the Icelanders at the Nassau Mausoleum but other than that I try to avoid it all costs.[/quote]

Is Steve Somers here?

• LI Phil | March 12, 2008 at 1:10 pm |

none taken…it’s a shithole[/quote]

you related to the schmoozer marty?

• Mets/Jets Fan in Chicagoland | March 12, 2008 at 1:11 pm |

[quote comment=”238076″][quote comment=”237986″]Is Ichiro the ONLY player in the bigs who wears Asics cleats?

Piazza does/did[/quote]
    Ahhh…..back in the day, I used to wrestle in Onitsuka Tiger hi-tops (cue “Glory Days” by Springsteen) when I was much younger.
    And lighter ;-)

• KT | March 12, 2008 at 1:18 pm |

[quote comment=”238077″][quote comment=”238013″][quote comment=”238007″]One of the explanations I had heard for stripes on the football was for measurements. When the measurement was made – the ball would be marked and the stripe would line up with the link on the chain when it was placed on the hashmark.[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe it’s a Canadian thing – IIRC, that comment was coming from a CFL broadcast[/quote]

They’re loonies. :)

• Judd | March 12, 2008 at 1:21 pm |

[quote comment=”238066″]Brent Brewer plays for the Brewers

my favorite was when Randall Gay played for the Patriots…[/quote]

• KT | March 12, 2008 at 1:21 pm |

[quote comment=”238080″]Images from the new NFL/Super Bowl XLIII marketing campaign, with new logos for each (that have been beaten to a pulp in past discussions).[/quote]

Believe in now? Believe in now? WTF?

I didn’t think it could be worse than “Who Wants it More?” But they’ve done it.

“Believe in now while you watch 48 hours of past Super Bowl highlights, right here on NFL Network.”

• who cares | March 12, 2008 at 1:22 pm |

Lots of good old college basketball photos in this run-down of the 75 greatest SEC basketball players as part of the conference’s 75th anniversary celebration. I’ve spotted several short-sleeve jerseys and quite a few short shorts with belts.

• Marty Met | March 12, 2008 at 1:31 pm |

[quote comment=”238082″][quote comment=”238065″][quote comment=”238045″][quote comment=”238039″][quote comment=”237991″]And of course, everyone wants Miroslav Satan (Sabres, Oilers, Islanders) to play for the Devils…

none taken…it’s a shithole[/quote]

you related to the schmoozer marty?[/quote]

Nope, just hate the Islanders too. (although not as much as I hate the Rangers.)

• Pat | March 12, 2008 at 1:47 pm |

[quote comment=”238087″][quote comment=”238066″]Brent Brewer plays for the Brewers

my favorite was when Randall Gay played for the Patriots…[/quote]

Randall Gay is actually on the Saints active roster now, but it’s just as appropriate![/quote]

Guys… gay jokes? Are we serious? Grow up.

• Randy Williams | March 12, 2008 at 1:59 pm |

[quote comment=”238066″]Brent Brewer plays for the Brewers

my favorite was when Randall Gay played for the Patriots…[/quote]
    Ben Gay was involved in the running back turnstile with the Browns when they rejoined the league in ’99. Talk about a potential for name brand partnership!

• DrBear | March 12, 2008 at 2:04 pm |

[quote comment=”238001″]Ah….but Dr. Bear’s comment above led me to this:

Joe Namath in the first MNF game in 1970. Brown ball. White stripes.

November 9, 1970: Baltimore 13, Green Bay 10
    (Perhaps the lighting was an issue, because the next two times the Pack was on Monday night at home, the games were in Milwaukee, and they didn’t go back to Lambeau on a Monday night until 1979).[/quote]
    KT – That game was played in Milwaukee, according to Packers.com.

• KT | March 12, 2008 at 2:14 pm |

[quote comment=”238098″]KT – That game was played in Milwaukee, according to Packers.com.[/quote]

Okay, then. shrpsports.com, which is normally reliable, didn’t have a notation for Milwaukee. Thanks.

• Mike | March 12, 2008 at 2:18 pm |

Are you kidding me………… feh

• Mike | March 12, 2008 at 2:21 pm |

[quote comment=”238103″]Are you kidding me………… feh [/quote]

• patrick | March 12, 2008 at 2:25 pm |

• Walaitis | March 12, 2008 at 2:45 pm |

[quote comment=”238105″][quote comment=”237973″][quote comment=”237959″][quote comment=”237942″]anyone else have trouble reaching the ‘comments section’ yesterday? I could barely reach the site..and comments, not at all. slow today, too.[/quote]

Not sure I can agree, I’m runing a dell no time warner at work with no problems, and a mac at home on time warner with no problems.[/quote]

I’m with the “too slow” group (easily said by someone like myself who’s a devoted reader and poster but can’t find the $20 for a membership to support upgrades) … but that said, I usually find myself clicking to “start up” the site, then (get this) doing WORK while I wait for it to load up. Do you realize how much this messes with my work day????

• Matt D. | March 12, 2008 at 2:56 pm |

[quote comment=”237975″]For what it’s worth, those Cleveland Browns pictures are from their All-America Football Conference days… the AAFC didn’t follow the NFL’s rules about numbering, so Otto Graham wore #60 and Marion Motley #76. The NFL used the numbers 50-79 to designate interior offensive linemen, so Graham switched to #14 and Motley wore #36 to accommodate the NFL when the Browns switched leagues.[/quote]

The Graham Pic is one of my all-time favorite football pics – look at the poor guy in back getting his eyes gouged out!
    It’s also not an AAFC game – I’m pretty sure it’s the 1950 NFL title game (look at the Rams’ helmets). I’ve seen this picture advertised as that before. The Browns abandoned their unique numbering system in 1952.

• Joey Guns | March 12, 2008 at 2:57 pm |

The newest Met:

• Ken | March 12, 2008 at 3:07 pm |

• Marty Met | March 12, 2008 at 3:08 pm |

[quote comment=”238112″]The newest Met:

Get out. Seriously? Nothing about it on the web

• Mets/Jets Fan in Chicagoland | March 12, 2008 at 3:08 pm |

I hate to quote myself, but I would have thought that he would have at least gone with high socks or something other than pajama pants since he is so into Yankees history[/quote]
    I’m hoping he wasn’t involved in this skirmish – Oy!

• Mets/Jets Fan in Chicagoland | March 12, 2008 at 3:14 pm |

[quote comment=”238115″][quote comment=”238104″][quote comment=”238103″]Are you kidding me………… feh [/quote]

I’m hoping he wasn’t involved in this skirmish – Oy![/quote]
    My bad – he’s “playing” against the Pirates tomorrow. But with a “swing” like this, I don’t see him getting much action

• War Damn Eagle | March 12, 2008 at 3:24 pm |

So I noticed in comment #19. Dude, read a little before posting.[/quote]

What are you, the message board police?

• KT | March 12, 2008 at 3:24 pm |

[quote]Jake Shaw reports that the Brewers have a minor league shortstop in their system named — wait for it — Brent Brewer.[/quote]

Bernie’s kid?

He’s one of those rare guys who can play for the name on the back of the jersey as well as the one on the front.

• patrick | March 12, 2008 at 3:25 pm |

none taken…it’s a shithole[/quote]

• Breezy | March 12, 2008 at 3:28 pm |

[quote comment=”238119″][quote comment=”238048″][quote comment=”238015″]arena football uses a striped football, too:

So I noticed in comment #19. Dude, read a little before posting.[/quote]

What are you, the message board police?[/quote]

Yup

• LI Phil | March 12, 2008 at 3:34 pm |

[quote comment=”238114″][quote comment=”238112″]The newest Met:

Get out. Seriously? Nothing about it on the web[/quote]

eddie coleman of the FAN was reporting this as a rumor earlier today, but apparently theo hasn’t heard about it

/hopefully, it’s NOT true…i don’t want coco and i’d rather hold onto angel

• Mark K | March 12, 2008 at 3:40 pm |

[quote comment=”238113″]Speaking of player names and teams I think the best combo was when Larry Playfair played in the NHL. Also, let’s not forget the current Buffalo coach, Lindy Ruff. (who also played with Playfair in Buffalo) So in the early 80s the Sabers could “Play”fair and Ruff at the same time.[/quote]

SABRES

• Brad | March 12, 2008 at 3:41 pm |

[quote comment=”238066″]Brent Brewer plays for the Brewers

my favorite was when Randall Gay played for the Patriots…[/quote]
    hahahahahahahahaha

• Mets/Jets Fan in Chicagoland | March 12, 2008 at 3:42 pm |

Get out. Seriously? Nothing about it on the web[/quote]

/hopefully, it’s NOT true…i don’t want coco and i’d rather hold onto angel[/quote]
    Sounds kinda personal there, Phil
    NTTAWWT

• Zack G | March 12, 2008 at 3:52 pm |

A local basketball team played in the state semi-finals and had these jerseys. The T is for Tantasqua never noticed it till now.

• Zack G | March 12, 2008 at 3:57 pm |

Sorry bad link this works T for tantasqua

• =bg= | March 12, 2008 at 3:58 pm |

I was the one who started the connectivity issue but to add, I have a new HP m8200n Media Center PC with AT&T Yahoo! Deluxe DSL (or whatever they call it) so I have a pretty fast line, and sometimes the site j u s t t a k e s f o r e v e r to come up…….if at all.

• Steven | March 12, 2008 at 3:58 pm |

I expect to see this in the ticker tomorrow, Paul! ;-)

Thanks,
    Steven
    Arlington, VA

• Zack G | March 12, 2008 at 3:58 pm |

Go to athletics and scroll down

• Mike | March 12, 2008 at 4:03 pm |

[quote comment=”238133″]The Caps’ recently trade-deadline deal brought Cristobal Huet. He recently got a new mask made up for the Caps. Pics are here:

[/quote]

MUCH better than before!

• C-Dublin | March 12, 2008 at 4:08 pm |

I expect to see this in the ticker tomorrow, Paul! ;-)

Thanks,
    Steven
    Arlington, VA[/quote]

Damn beat me to it… I thought I was so cool, had the inside scoop and what not but I guess not. Well done Steven. Hey Paul if you do use that tomorrow when you mention its from Steven can you say he beat out C-Dublin to it? That would be pretty dope.

oh and Lets GO CAPS

• LI Phil | March 12, 2008 at 4:10 pm |

none taken…it’s a shithole[/quote]

you didn’t just say “516 in the houssssssssse”

/wait…you did
    //silently wonders HOW long island gets it’s bad rap

• Mets/Jets Fan in Chicagoland | March 12, 2008 at 4:16 pm |

none taken…it’s a shithole[/quote]

you didn’t just say “516 in the houssssssssse”

/wait…you did
    //silently wonders HOW long island gets it’s bad rap[/quote]
    Gee…I can’t imagine how
    And I’m a native (born in Hollis)

• LI Phil | March 12, 2008 at 4:20 pm |

you didn’t just say “516 in the houssssssssse”

/wait…you did
    //silently wonders HOW long island gets it’s bad rap[/quote]
    Gee…I can’t imagine how
    And I’m a native (born in Hollis)[/quote]

you forgot howard and alec baldwin

• Kent | March 12, 2008 at 4:25 pm |

I think this picture has been on the list before:

NFL Evolution

It shows a couple of balls with stripes at the bottom — most without. Although each quarterback has a ball in his hand, it is impossible to see stripes at this size.

I have the poster in my office at home and will look at it tonight and see if any of the balls have stripes.

Kent

• Mets/Jets Fan in Chicagoland | March 12, 2008 at 4:29 pm |

[quote comment=”238137″][quote comment=”238136″][quote comment=”238121″][quote comment=”238065″][quote comment=”238045″][quote comment=”238039″][quote comment=”237991″]And of course, everyone wants Miroslav Satan (Sabres, Oilers, Islanders) to play for the Devils…

none taken…it’s a shithole[/quote]

you didn’t just say “516 in the houssssssssse”

/wait…you did
    //silently wonders HOW long island gets it’s bad rap[/quote]
    Gee…I can’t imagine how
    And I’m a native (born in Hollis)[/quote]
    Sorry – forgot the ‘sarcasm’ tag

• Mets/Jets Fan in Chicagoland | March 12, 2008 at 4:32 pm |

[quote comment=”238138″][quote comment=”238137″][quote comment=”238136″][quote comment=”238121″]Hey now, born and raised on the Island that is Long. Sure it has its bad parts (like suffolk minus hamptons) but what place doesnt? I’d argue our big population of hot girls and smart kids (along with some of the best schools in the nation) make it much, MUCH better than Jersey, or westchester for that matter. 516 in the housssssssssssse[/quote]

you didn’t just say “516 in the houssssssssse”

/wait…you did
    //silently wonders HOW long island gets it’s bad rap[/quote]
    Gee…I can’t imagine how
    And I’m a native (born in Hollis)[/quote]

you forgot howard and alec baldwin[/quote]
    How dare you!
    Only uni-related pic I could find

• Randy Williams | March 12, 2008 at 4:35 pm |

Get out. Seriously? Nothing about it on the web[/quote]

“Why no Coco”?!?
    C. Kramer

• Randy Williams | March 12, 2008 at 4:47 pm |

Get out. Seriously? Nothing about it on the web[/quote]

“Why no Coco”?!?
    C. Kramer[/quote]
    No Coco.

• Joey Guns | March 12, 2008 at 5:15 pm |

[quote comment=”238145″][quote comment=”238142″][quote comment=”238125″][quote comment=”238114″][quote comment=”238112″]The newest Met:

Get out. Seriously? Nothing about it on the web[/quote]

“Why no Coco”?!?
    C. Kramer[/quote]
    No Coco.

Good. I’d rather have the Angel!

• Luther Mahoney | March 12, 2008 at 5:17 pm |

Re.Striped footballs.

1)The NFL adopted the brown football with white stripes in 1956,for night games. Before 1956,various colored balls were used for night games,the most common was a white ball with black stripes. The NFL outlawed the striped ball after the 1975 season because many quarterbacks complained about slippage on their grip with the
    painted white stripes.

2)I believe that the reason why the ball in Super Bowl VIII had stripes on it was because the league
    used balls from the Houston Oilers’ supply. Since
    the Oilers played in the Astrodome,the Oilers used
    a stiped ball for all thier home games from 1971 to 1975. Before the league took over every facet
    of the Super Bowl,the home site team usually supplied all the field and game equipment for the game.

• Rick | March 12, 2008 at 5:38 pm |

There’s an even better reason that there aren’t a whole lot of retired numbers out there, and that is because of the scarcity of numbers. In College ball, no number using a digit higher than 5 can be used in a game, which means that only 36 numbers are actually available to be used(0-5, 10-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, 50-55). If UNC had retured all 19 numbers, they would barely have enough numbers to outfit their team! That’s part of why a lot of colleges make it so difficult to even have the number retired to begin with. Saves them the trouble of a hew and cry for a very good player that doesn’t meet their requirements.

• Scott N | March 12, 2008 at 6:11 pm |

Anyone know what number Lou Groza wore before the rules change (Or was he in the NFL prior to it)? Motlely wore 76 before the change and Groza wore 76 after it.

• KT | March 12, 2008 at 6:22 pm |

Didn’t close the tag, sorry.

• KT | March 12, 2008 at 6:24 pm |

Well, Texas State U. sucks. Trust me, it was a photo of Dan Pastorini. If I can get it to come up again, I’ll host it somewhere else.

• KT | March 12, 2008 at 6:27 pm |

[quote comment=”238155″]Eventually, those numbering rules changed, but not in 1950. Case in point, one of your linked photos which shows Graham wearing No. 60 against the Rams. I don’t think the NFL actually standardized the numbering rules until 1953 or ’54.[/quote]

Actually it was in 1973:

[b]A jersey numbering system was adopted, April 5: 1-19 for quarterbacks and specialists, 20-49 for running backs and defensive backs, 50-59 for centers and linebackers, 60-79 for defensive linemen and interior offensive linemen other than centers, and 80-89 for wide receivers and tight ends. Players who had been in the NFL in 1972 could continue to use old numbers.[/b]

From the NFL Record & Fact Book’s chronology.

• KT | March 12, 2008 at 6:27 pm |

Actually it was in 1973:

From the NFL Record & Fact Book’s chronology.

• LI Phil | March 12, 2008 at 6:46 pm |

[quote comment=”238145″][quote comment=”238142″]”Why no Coco”?!?
    C. Kramer[/quote]
    No Coco.

hey, what was the name of that monkey that could read sign language?

• Bill T. | March 12, 2008 at 6:54 pm |

No stripes, but the USFL used a tan-colored ball. Story here.

• Cathy | March 12, 2008 at 7:47 pm |

[quote comment=”237988″][quote comment=”237967″]Brent Brewer plays for the Brewers

And of course, everyone wants Miroslav Satan (Sabres, Oilers, Islanders) to play for the Devils…[/quote]

In the eighties, my favorite Redskins player was Joe “Washington” , No 25 running back.

• LI Phil | March 12, 2008 at 7:53 pm |

the gloved wonder is now a jint…

• lwiedy | March 12, 2008 at 7:59 pm |

This was in reference to post #161:

Nope, you need to look more carefully at the Pastorini photo. Remember a good portion of the ball did not have stripes. Look at the outside edge on either end of the ball, I see white on both sides.

• =bg= | March 12, 2008 at 8:04 pm |

Billy Crystal: Nike, Reebok, or Other:

And the winner is………

• LI Phil | March 12, 2008 at 8:09 pm |
  • lwiedy | March 12, 2008 at 8:12 pm |

[quote comment=”238177″]pastorini w/striped ball[/quote]

• LI Phil | March 12, 2008 at 8:15 pm |

[quote comment=”238178″][quote comment=”238177″]pastorini w/striped ball[/quote]

And the area with no stripes is away from his throwing hand/laces just like the other photo.[/quote]

yeah…that’s what i was goin for…i didn’t want to keep quoting the post without the tags closed…you subsequently fixed it, but i posted before it saw that…

i guess what i meant to say was “good catch”

• Mike Engle | March 12, 2008 at 8:25 pm |

Wow, it took me WAY too long to decipher the cryptic title.
    /Jack and Meg = The White Stripes.
    //I should listen to music other than jazz.

• LI Phil | March 12, 2008 at 8:35 pm |

12/16/73…oilers vs. bengals…i think i see white stripes

• lwiedy | March 12, 2008 at 8:43 pm |

• lwiedy | March 12, 2008 at 8:45 pm |

If I may ask, is there any special criteria for registering here?

• Stuby | March 12, 2008 at 8:45 pm |

John Matuszak and Lynn Dickey on the Oilers? My head is spinning.

• LI Phil | March 12, 2008 at 8:55 pm |

[quote comment=”238183″][quote comment=”238182″]12/16/73…oilers vs. bengals…i think i see white stripes[/quote]

I believe you are correct! BTW, thanks in advance for wasting my next five hours, this site is incredible.[/quote]

i never posted from there before??? thought i had…enjoy! great resource eh? ;)

/btw…i never even tried to register, so i don’t know if there are any criteria….i think you only need to register to see full size pics

• Trevor K | March 12, 2008 at 8:56 pm |

[quote comment=”237954″]When researching out that Arena stuff I found out the Iowa Barnstormers are playing again, this time at the Arena 2 level…..as much as I hate to say it…I like their helmets…not the jerseys though.[/quote]
    Then I’m guessing that you would’ve hated the propellers going down the side of the pants. I love that we’re bringing back the goggle helmets, but I wish we would’ve kept the winged shoulders. They we’re just so unique.

• =bg= | March 12, 2008 at 8:59 pm |

No #80 for Isaac Bruce

• Nicole | March 12, 2008 at 9:06 pm |

The only “plus” I can give this as a former player is that it helps keep your knees (and shins and calves) from getting beaten up when slide tackling. I did it on occasion when the grass was rough and just ate up your skin. Aesthetically it’s gross, but it saves you from what is effectively rug burn.

• mks43094 | March 12, 2008 at 9:06 pm |

[quote comment=”237915″]Are those players in the 1940s and 1950s football pictures wearing Chuck Taylor’s? Certainly looks like it.[/quote]
    if i’m not mistaken, this was a game at cleveland municipal stadium wherein the turf had frozen and both teams were having trouble with traction. the browns sent someone out to pick up some sneaks for the second half giving the browns a definite edge and, i believe, the win.

• LouUmp | March 12, 2008 at 9:07 pm |

[/quote]

When it comes to officials. there isn’t a broadcaster that has anything resembling a clue..and officials laugh about it too!

If you are bored during baseball season, you should check out some of the comments occasionally made about TV commentators rules knowledge by very high level college/amateur umpires at forums like
    this

makes for entertaining reading sometimes…their number 1 target? Joe Morgan, of course….

• knukks | March 12, 2008 at 9:08 pm |

In the “v” hockey photo, the player in question looks like he is holding his shin pads on with elastic bands although it looks as if one of his teammates is using tape. Anyone know if elastic bands were the standard back in the day??? Macgyver would be proud!

• Joe T. | March 12, 2008 at 9:34 pm |

• Mike D | March 12, 2008 at 9:41 pm |

[quote comment=”238176″]Billy Crystal: Nike, Reebok, or Other:

And the winner is………

I wonder if their his or he’s borrowing a another player’s spikes? The Yankees coaching staff is usually outfitted by Adidas, so I guess he passed on the 3 stripes.

• LI Phil | March 12, 2008 at 9:47 pm |

[quote comment=”238199″]I know this had been covered, but why is the initials “AL” on the chest of Marquette bball unis?[/quote]

you know what pressure is? it’s when the cheerleaders are jumping and you don’t notice their breasts

• Johnny O | March 12, 2008 at 10:10 pm |

They are for former coach Al McGuire. McGuire coached the Marquette University men’s basketball team from 1964 to 1977. He compiled impressive numbers throughout his coaching career, resulting in his induction to the Basketball Hall of Fame in 1992, and was also well known for his colorful personality. Marquette plays in the “Al McGuire Center”. It was named that in 2004. He passed away in 2001.

• Joe T. | March 12, 2008 at 10:15 pm |

thanks johnny

• Joe T. | March 12, 2008 at 10:17 pm |

Is it going to be like that every year or just this year?

• LI Phil | March 12, 2008 at 10:21 pm |

[quote comment=”238209″]Is it going to be like that every year or just this year?[/quote]

Other multiple-season memorial gestures include Marquette’s “AL” for Al McGuire (ongoing since 2001)

source

• Bryan Redemske | March 12, 2008 at 10:53 pm |

Fukudome wears Asics. Ffffffffffukudome!

• Adam | March 12, 2008 at 11:30 pm |

San Diego Padres have a guy in their farm system named Trevor Huffman.

• lwiedy | March 12, 2008 at 11:44 pm |

[quote comment=”238226″]San Diego Padres have a guy in their farm system named Trevor Huffman.[/quote]

Any relation to Cady Huffman?

• KT | March 12, 2008 at 11:52 pm |

• Johnny O | March 12, 2008 at 11:54 pm |

I believe since 2004 or 2003, the Marquette team has had “AL” on their uni’s. I know D-Wade had it on his jersey for sure. I would assume it is on their for the long haul.

• lwiedy | March 13, 2008 at 12:00 am |

[quote comment=”238231″]I stand corrected on the Pastorini thing, and bow to the greatness of the NFL Photo library.[/quote]

What about this?
    #158 by Luther Mahoney on 03.12.08 5:17 pm

Re.Striped footballs.

painted white stripes.

used balls from the Houston Oilers’ supply. Since
    the Oilers played in the Astrodome,the Oilers used

• KT | March 13, 2008 at 12:13 am |

• lwiedy | March 13, 2008 at 12:23 am |

If that is all you’ve today, I’m sorry.

• lwiedy | March 13, 2008 at 12:25 am |

[quote comment=”238240″][quote comment=”238239″]What about it? The Oilers apparently were the last team to use the striped ball. Great info from Luther.[/quote]

If that is all you’ve today, I’m sorry.[/quote]

Key word missing is “learned”

• superstar | March 13, 2008 at 1:02 am |

the stripes on the ball also help with the grip in poor weather conditions. They are usually a different material that remains dryer and has a better grip to it

• Dennis | March 13, 2008 at 2:14 am |

Here’s Mel Renfro with a striped ball 1975.

• Josh Petty | March 13, 2008 at 3:10 am |

I know it was touched on in a previous Uni Watch entry…The new $5 bill, featuring the color purple, goes into circulation today.