DH Stands for Designated Hitter Design History

Yankee+Stadium+Food+Vendor+Shirt+(70's).jpg

New ESPN column today — here’s the link.

Meanwhile: I love how throwaway-ish Ticker items can sometimes take on lives of their own. Case in point: On Wednesday I linked to the Yankee Stadium vendor’s uniform shown at right (here’s a larger view); on Thursday I followed up with this photo, which shows vendors actually wearing the outfit; and now reader Paul Wiederecht has provided a wealth of interesting background info.

Wiederecht is a graphic designer who’s worked a lot in TV news and televised sports. And what does that background have to do with the vendor’s uniform? I’ll let him explain it himself:

I saw that vendor’s shirt used from 1968-72 at games I attended. Sorry, no pics, but I think I may be able to shed some light on the shirt’s design history.

Much of the Yankees’ look during the team’s CBS ownership era can be attributed to Lou Dorfsman, who was CBS’s creative director for more than 25 years. Except for the eye logo, which was the inspiration of his predecessor, William Golden, Dorfsman was responsible for CBS’s corporate and on-air look. His contribution to graphic/interior and set/broadcast/advertising design is legendary, he set the high standard that artists like me have trying to measure up to our whole careers.

Anyway, back to the shirt: If you look here, you’ll see an example of the three-dimensional wall treatment in the CBS employee cafeteria, which was executed by Herb Lubalin (a typographer of note in his own right). You will see many design similarities [between the wall treatment and the vendor’s uniform], and similar design treatments can been seen in many Yankees publications from that era. I would not be surprised if Dorfsman used Lubalin’s design studio for many Yankees projects, possibly even this shirt.

Dorfsman sas also responsible for the “look” of the stadium — the blue seats, the use of Helvetica for signage around the building, plus he had the walls and facade painted white. My mom, who worked in the club offices from 1953-57, said the previous paint color was “[Dan] Topping money green,” which can be seen in the scenes shot at the stadium in the 1959 film “The FBI Story.”

I know I’ve gone on a bit here, but I don’t think Mr. Dorfsman has gotten his due for his efforts on this subject. If you look at Yankees material since, it dosen’t measure up.

As a big graphic design fan geek myself, I already knew about Dorfsman’s role at CBS. And of course I knew that CBS had owned the Yankees. Until now, however, I’d never connected the dots to see the obvious link between the Dorfsman and team. But now it seems obvious — just look at this again, and then look at this.

Awesome work by Wiederecht to flesh out the details of this story — nicely done.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Did you know Colorado State’s basketball court design featured ram horns? I didn’t, until Jeff Bethune alerted me to the second two photos in this gallery. … Pete Carroll now has his own clothing line. … Josh Miller reports that the Suns will be wearing “Los Suns” jerseys for a Latino Heritage game next month. … David Tyree refuses to take off his helmet. … I think Tom O’Grady mentioned this a few weeks ago, but it bears repeating: The Blackhawks’ red and black sleeve stripes are supposed to be of equal thickness, but the team’s goalies have thicker black stripesweird (with thanks to J D Vercett for the latest round of pics). … Yesterday I asked why lacrosse players were wearing green shoelaces. The answer is here (courtesy of Chris Drouin). … Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: Good article here about the UGA football team’s uni number selection process. … Who’s that big guy in the sidecar? It’s Big Papi on his way to the White House the other day, riding with the police escort (with thanks to Matt Englander). … Jimmy Neilly notes that Mike Smith was still wearing his Stars mask when making his Lightning debut on Wednesday. … Dontrelle Willis was wearing the Tigers’ home cap with the road uni the other day (good spot by James Yeh). … “The Arena League commissioner was on the radio today, and he mentioned that their refs would be wearing helmets this year,” reports Chris Flinn. “He also said he thought it might carry over to the NFL.” … In response to the recent City Hall shooting in Kirkwood, Missouri, the Cardinals wore Kirkwood caps the other day. … A reader who prefers to remain anonymous informs me that today is the 48th anniversary of the opening of the first Playboy Club, featuring what Wikipedia describes as “the first service uniform registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.” … Several readers are reporting that the Bruins have come up with four competing designs for next season’s alternate jersey, and that one of the designs was briefly shown during the broadcast of last night’s game (big thanks to Jeffrey Israel for the video clip). … Great article here about Butch Goring’s old helmet (with thanks to Craig MacHenry).

151 comments to DH Stands for Designated Hitter Design History

• Shane | February 29, 2008 at 8:38 am |

I wish they’d showed a few other designs. I’m hoping for a gold/white/black like they wore in the 50s for a few years.

• john in DC | February 29, 2008 at 8:55 am |

Dallas goaltender Marty Turco is following in the footsteps of Ed Belfour; home and away masks.

…and here’s Pittsburgh’s Marc-Andre Fleury donning his new white and gold pads.

• Kyle O | February 29, 2008 at 8:57 am |

• Marc M. | February 29, 2008 at 8:59 am |

“The Arena League commissioner was on the radio today, and he mentioned that their refs would be wearing helmets this year,” reports Chris Flinn. “He also said he thought it might carry over to the NFL.” No doubt NFL refs wearing helmets is one of the signs of the apocalypse…sigh

• Rob B | February 29, 2008 at 9:02 am |

• Original Jim | February 29, 2008 at 9:05 am |

During that St. Louis Cardinals slide show, Brian Barton is sporting the striped fake stirrups.

• Pat | February 29, 2008 at 9:07 am |

New Bruins alternate… Don’t I wish. I might care about hockey if they actually wore these. In fact, I might even go to a game if I knew they would wear these.

• todd krevanchi | February 29, 2008 at 9:09 am |

[/quote]

you’ll notice in the dorfsman ad, he was speaking at wieden & kennedy. who are they you ask?

• LI Phil | February 29, 2008 at 9:13 am |

[quote comment=”231949″]That is an ugly patch on the Dallas Stars shoulder. Any idea why it is not the full Texas outline?[/quote]

while it doesn’t appear to be completely accurate in terms of actual geographical boundaries, it still appears to be a full outline, doesn’t it?

of course, on the black sweater, the patch is a star

• James Craven | February 29, 2008 at 9:15 am |

So the Playboy Bunny uniform turns 13 today.

• MPowers1634 | February 29, 2008 at 9:21 am |

Here is a good comparison between the Swingman and SOD version of the Maryland gear.

• LI Phil | February 29, 2008 at 9:22 am |

[quote comment=”231964″]So the Playboy Bunny uniform turns 13 today.

That’s a “Ti Kwan Leep” Year reference for you there being the date of February 29th. (And a little inside joke for out Canadian friends on “Ti Kwan Leep”, a classic Frantics bit.)[/quote]

excellent job on that one james

my grandfather was born on february 29, 1896, and since leap year was NOT celebrated in 1900 (here), he did not celebrate his actual REAL first birthday until he was 8 calendar years old…man, that had to suck

• Duckstyle | February 29, 2008 at 9:23 am |

Good call, especially considering how much having that fanbase seems to have mattered in getting them the team. I’ve never ben a fan of light blue, but I’v always loved the mustard yellow.

• ryan c #40 | February 29, 2008 at 9:25 am |

The Blackhawks’ red and black sleeve stripes are supposed to be of equal thickness, but the team’s goalies have thicker black stripes — weird

same with nabakov’s sharks jersey… sorry… no pics!

• ryan c #40 | February 29, 2008 at 9:27 am |

i love the nike swingman shorts… know where i can pick up a pair? authentic? thanks!

• scott | February 29, 2008 at 9:30 am |

Don’t the Tigers historically wear their home caps throughout spring training, even when on the road and wearing road uniforms? I don’t think they break out the caps with the orange D until the regular season.

• Jason Gomez | February 29, 2008 at 9:32 am |

I commmend David Tyree for his demonstration, which with the helmet shoes truly how it was he made that amazing catch.

• Dave | February 29, 2008 at 9:33 am |

Wow – those Bruins’ jerseys are awesome! IMHO

• ESS | February 29, 2008 at 9:36 am |

My favorite part of the Yankees’ vendors shirts is the fact that cigars and cigarettes share space with hot dogs and popcorn.

Different times, I guess.

• mrachmiel | February 29, 2008 at 9:36 am |

• Jim | February 29, 2008 at 9:36 am |

I like Fluery’s yellow pads better. Every goalie wears white pads, getting boring. I know why they do it, but it’s still boring.

• MPowers1634 | February 29, 2008 at 9:37 am |

Disregard Post #11 for being incredibly OT. That’s the result of faulty copying and pasting!

Nonetheless, Good Morning UW friends!

• Nate F | February 29, 2008 at 9:38 am |

seems to me they showed two different Bruins jerseys – one with a gold stripe on the bottom and one without the stripe.

• Matt D. | February 29, 2008 at 9:41 am |

[quote comment=”231964″]So the Playboy Bunny uniform turns 13 today.

Never thought I’d see the Frantics quoted here….:)
    How about congratulating Al Rosen for finally being able to buy alcohol legally. This is his 21st birthday, after all.

• Jim | February 29, 2008 at 9:44 am |

But now it seems obvious — just look at this again, and then look at this.

And there is this as well.

• Floormaster Squeeze | February 29, 2008 at 9:49 am |

There is also new Saint Louis Billiken baseball unis featured in the St. Louis Cardinal slideshow. I like the blue underarm. I wonder if there is a similar look in the home whites. I dislike their hats. The font is bad, particularly for baseball (does not even match the uni font). They used to sport a blue version of the Cardinal hat and it was much better (maybe the Cardinals told them to stop).

• Kenny | February 29, 2008 at 9:51 am |

Did you know Colorado State’s basketball court design featured ram horns?

Yes and it is awesome

• Soccer Sammy | February 29, 2008 at 9:53 am |

You mean Chester got a team.

• Paul Lukas | February 29, 2008 at 9:59 am |

And there is this as well.[/quote]

Wow, perfect capper — excellent!

• Paul Lukas | February 29, 2008 at 10:02 am |

Some of you enterprising types know how to find my ESPN column before I post the link. But the column isn’t final until I post the link — we’re still making some adjustments to today’s column, for example. So even if you know how to access the column before it’s final, please don’t share the link before I post it myself. Thanks.

• MPowers1634 | February 29, 2008 at 10:02 am |

When Pepe Sanchez played point guard at Temple,in the late 90’s, they had a very cool owl’s wing graphic inside the 3-Point arc similar to this logo.

• Paul P | February 29, 2008 at 10:02 am |

Wathing the Bruins game last night I also noticed that Glen Murray of the B’s has his nickname, “Muzz”, stitched in to the top of his gloves. No photo, but it showed him on the bench near Marc Savard at one point, and it was very ledgible.

• Ian K | February 29, 2008 at 10:11 am |

[/quote]

the creative team nike has used for groundbreaking and innovative ads for almost 30 years.[/quote]

Good insight, Todd. So are they the ad agency that created print/TV ads? Meaning, they’re not necessarily responsible for Nike’s other “innovative” ideas? (SOD, shoulder horns, etc.)

• LeRoy Jones | February 29, 2008 at 10:16 am |

You mean Chester got a team.[/quote]
    Paid for by the DRPA with bridge toll money.

• Duckstyle | February 29, 2008 at 10:18 am |

You mean Chester got a team.[/quote]

I hope this was sarcastic. I can’t stand people that get their panties in a bunch because a team isn’t techically within city limits, or even a 20 minute drive outside them. If you look around probably half of all MLS teams play outside their home city. I’m a Fire fan, and if I ever refered to Bridgeview as Chicago, a “real” Chicagoan would dress me down. But noone seriosuly feels that isn’t for a second the Bridgeview Fire. Sorry if I sound like I’m on a soapbox here, but I just had an argument with a guy at work abotu this yesterday.

• aram | February 29, 2008 at 10:23 am |

My old high school’s hockey team is looking great.

Love those stripes. The team is the Northville Mustangs from Northville, Michigan.

• udflyer | February 29, 2008 at 10:28 am |

• Ian K | February 29, 2008 at 10:31 am |

• LI Phil | February 29, 2008 at 10:31 am |

italy’s werner heel practices for the newest event for the 2010 winter olympics: limbo-ski

• chance | February 29, 2008 at 10:41 am |

I like it.

• skott daltonic | February 29, 2008 at 10:41 am |

wow, someone in the Bruins’ management really “gets it”.

the third jersey is amazing…i would love to see the other options. i like the one w/ the stripe to break up the monotone of the black…

w/ the gold socks?

they dress like champions, at least.

• Duckstyle | February 29, 2008 at 10:43 am |

• LI Phil | February 29, 2008 at 10:46 am |

[quote comment=”232011″][quote comment=”232008″]Dodgers base coaches are refusing to wear helmets during games…and Larry Bowa has some real Hot Sports Opinions about it:

I like it.[/quote]

i second that! good for bowa

• chance | February 29, 2008 at 10:47 am |

I understand that the rule is basically over-kill, not a pun so please don’t take it that way, but seriously, Bowa, why? Why do people always feel the need to be such an old pain in the ass whenever a new safety-based rule takes effect. If I said “fuck you” to the safety rules where I work, I’d be fired, not fined. If this jackass really goes game-after-game not waering a helmet he needs to be suspended or booted. And I like Larry Bowa, go figure.[/quote]

• Hank | February 29, 2008 at 10:50 am |

“Great article here about Butch Goring’s old helmet (with thanks to Craig MacHenry).

• Duckstyle | February 29, 2008 at 10:56 am |

[quote comment=”232018″][quote comment=”232015″][quote comment=”232008″]Dodgers base coaches are refusing to wear helmets during games…and Larry Bowa has some real Hot Sports Opinions about it:

If the “safety-based rule” is silly, then perhaps he’s entitled to treat it as such.[/quote]

No, BS! Safety rules at every place I’ve ever worked are much different than say, uniform rules. You break a uniform rule, you get warned or sent home for the day. You break a safety rule multiple times, you get fired, end of story. Last year while they were remodeling the office area where I worked we got moved down to an older area of the shop floor. We were required to wear safety glasses at our desk at all times. Why? Because even though we were probably 100 feet from the nearest machine, and inside 6 foot cubicle walls, we were technically on the shoop floor and had to go by their rules. It sucked for about a week, then I stopped even noticing I had them on. I’d be at home for an hour before I realized I still had them on. Don’t get me wrong, I think the helmet rule is pretty dumb. But it’s a rule none-the-less, and when you want to work somewhere you follow the rules there, or you find someplace else to work, simple as that. You don’t like the rule, you file a complaint and try to get it changed.

• chance | February 29, 2008 at 11:01 am |

He’s trying to get it changed.

• todd krevanchi | February 29, 2008 at 11:03 am |

[quote comment=”231999″][quote comment=”231957″][quote comment=”231949″]But now it seems obvious — just look at this again, and then look at this.
    [/quote]

I just assumed “Wieden & Kennedy” were the cross streets in Portland where this event was taking place. Thanks for filling me in…[/quote]

correct ian, their advertising company of choice.
    the innovation kitchen within nike takes care of the tech stuff.

see their website here
    they are responsible for so many nike and jordan commercials, most of which are able to be viewed on their website.

my favorite of all time?
    heritage: http://www.wk.com/#/...
    here is the extended 90 second version
    (i still get goosebumps everytime i see it)

the music, a piece arranged by composer jim bredouw, is an amazing piano piece, used in both the jordan and prefontaine tribute commercials.

• LI Phil | February 29, 2008 at 11:04 am |

maybe bowa is in the process of so doing?

perhaps if he can get enough coaches to go along with him in his protestation of what you yourself deemed a “silly rule,” they CAN get it removed from the books

regardless, he’s drawing attention to it and good for him!

• Duckstyle | February 29, 2008 at 11:09 am |

[quote comment=”232028″]He’s trying to get it changed.

Keep in mind that he’s not in violation of the rule by outfitting himself in body armor. So there’s no cause to fire him.[/quote]

“Bowa refused to wear a helmet in the Dodgers’ exhibition opener Thursday at Holman Stadium and said he had no intention of doing so in the future.”

This sentence is a bit strangly worded. All of the talk I heard on the radio this morning said he was quoted as saying he wouldn’t wear one all season, taking 162 fines. If that the case, yeah fire him. If he wants to wear extra, go rigth ahead. You really think MLB would change it because of that? Ridiculous.

• 9/9 | February 29, 2008 at 11:09 am |

There are a number of rules at my work that I think are silly. I would still get fired if I broke them.

• todd krevanchi | February 29, 2008 at 11:13 am |

great observation duck! youre right, and unfortunately, this circumstance is yet another reason why we, as the rest of the non professional sport playing universe, cannot compare what we do at our job and what they do at their job in the same light.

• Hank | February 29, 2008 at 11:14 am |

[quote comment=”232004″][quote comment=”231994″][quote comment=”231953″]So Philadelphia gets a MLS team. They have owners, stadium deal, and land. But no name, uniform or colors for the intro except a generic jersey. May be they should get some help from their already existing fan base the SOB.[/quote]
    You mean Chester got a team.[/quote]
    Paid for by the DRPA with bridge toll money.

Can’t wait until they raise tolls on the bridge again to pay for a soccer team in Chester! AWESOME![/quote]

Another boondogle paid for by the majority of tax and toll payers who will never set foot in the stadium.

• lwiedy | February 29, 2008 at 11:21 am |

I like it.[/quote]

It’s this sort of obstinance that keeps him from another managing job.

• todd krevanchi | February 29, 2008 at 11:21 am |

if youve never heard it, its a must. its my all time favorite.

2nd all time?
    earl weaver on managers corner.

each are on youtube. listen at home or at a place where excessive cursing is accepted.

• Walaitis | February 29, 2008 at 11:22 am |

[quote comment=”232030″][quote]You don’t like the rule, you file a complaint and try to get it changed.[/quote]

maybe bowa is in the process of so doing?

regardless, he’s drawing attention to it and good for him![/quote]

(from the article) “Bowa, who Thursday wore a cap lined on the inside with thin plastic, says he isn’t the only coach who feels this way.”

I’d like to hear more about the thin plastic. Was that the case of “well, gee, now that I think about it, it WOULD be dangerous to get hit by a ball … but I’d look like a fool if I wore a helmet NOW … What can I do? What CAN I do?”

… or was it totally unrelated to anything else in the article?

• LI Phil | February 29, 2008 at 11:23 am |

do you really think MLB would allow them to, in essence, “opt out”? i think not…they are addressing a non-existent problem with an unnecessary regulation…again, my argument is NOT AGAINST coaches being allowed to wear helmets (or any other piece of safety equipment they feel necessary to protect any piece of life and limb)…just the MANDATING of such

if it takes a waiver of release, i think that would be a FANTASTIC compromise, but i don’t see that happening

and to take it a step further, i don’t know if this is one of those “bargaining” tools they would have to negotiate with MLBPA, but it seems that it might be…and if it is, i wouldn’t be surprised if they let MLB impose this regulation on them in exchange for say…another 2 year delay on HGH blood testing

i might be way off, but nothing surprises me anymore

• lwiedy | February 29, 2008 at 11:25 am |

[quote comment=”232028″]He’s trying to get it changed.

If I were part of the “Let those who coach decide” army, I would want someone that wasn’t notorious for wildly immature tantrums to be my “patron saint” of the cause.

• Duckstyle | February 29, 2008 at 11:26 am |

[quote comment=”232037″][quote comment=”232015″]Why do people always feel the need to be such an old pain in the ass whenever a new safety-based rule takes effect. If I said “fuck you” to the safety rules where I work, I’d be fired, not fined. If this jackass really goes game-after-game not waering a helmet he needs to be suspended or booted. And I like Larry Bowa, go figure.[/quote]

• Paul Lukas | February 29, 2008 at 11:30 am |

Today’s ESPN column is up.

• lwiedy | February 29, 2008 at 11:31 am |

[quote comment=”232047″][quote]work safety is a HUGE issue in the workplace, and i wouldnt be surprised at all if teams whose coaches protest the rule by not wearing the correct on field equipment requested by mlb(in this case a helmet) have these coaches sign a waiver of liability release.[/quote]

i might be way off, but nothing surprises me anymore[/quote]

The coaches have nothing to do with the MLBPA, that’s why it could be implemented unilaterally.

• LI Phil | February 29, 2008 at 11:35 am |

[quote]See, I think when it comes to safety, it’s different. Of course the major professional sports leagues ahve any nunber of exemptions from the laws the govern the rest of us. But when it comes to blatantly ignoring a safety rule, a line has been crossed, especially coming froma coach for crying out loud. Arguing over it, in the media or elsewhere, is fine, hell, great! I’m all for protest. But kids look up to these guys, and lets face it, not all kids are very smart. I don’t want kids reading this thinking that they can get away with the same kind of behavior.[/quote]

i see your point, ducks…this WHOLE thing basically relates to free will and common sense…basically you’re saying that children (and major league baseball coaches, by extension), are not capable of making their own decisions, so big brother must protect them for their own good

same argument applies to seatbelts and countless other things…in new york, several years ago there was a great protestation when the legislature mandated pre-teens and younger to wear helmets for bicycling and skateboarding…now they almost all do and it’s “no big deal”…but that’s not the point…

i, as an adult (at least in calendar years), am not required to wear a helmet while cycling, yet i do…the government does not mandate me to wear one, but they don’t prohibit me from so doing either

the government DOES however, mandate me to wear a seat belt, despite the fact that there is SOME evidence that seat belts not only DO NOT save lives, they may be detrimental…AND, my jeep already has an airbag…i am extremely glad my vehicle HAS the seat belt, for i am then free to choose whether or not i wish to wear it…i just don’t think i should be FORCED to

• werthj | February 29, 2008 at 11:38 am |

if youve never heard it, its a must. its my all time favorite.

2nd all time?
    earl weaver on managers corner.

I will enjoy these links at home tonight!
    Some of my favorite sports blow-ups/ rants:
    Peyton Manning’s “idiot kicker”,
    Mora’s, “don’t talk about playoffs”,
    Denny Greens’s “The Bears are who we thought they were”,
    among othere.

• Aaron Scholder | February 29, 2008 at 11:38 am |

Hartford Wolfpack holding a jersey design contest to design their third jersey for ’08-’09.

• Tod H. | February 29, 2008 at 11:41 am |

[quote comment=”232045″]i dont know if any of you guys are fans of sports blow ups like i am.[/quote]

Always had a hunch you were a blow up man, todd. Have this one?

• lwiedy | February 29, 2008 at 11:48 am |

Thank heavens there were no helmets in the ABA. Always great to revisit the ABA.

One memory I have is a sad one. In 1975, there was a plane crash on LI and I remember seeing a live shot of the wreckage on the news early that evening. In a huge pile of luggage, I swore that I saw a travel bag with the NY Nets logo on it. Later, we found out Wendell Ladner was on the plane.

If I remember correctly, the crash was caused by lightning striking an engine. When reaction from the loss came out, someone on the Nets said if Wendell knew the bolt was coming, he would have swatted it down.

• Bryan | February 29, 2008 at 11:51 am |

[quote comment=”232051″]Today’s ESPN column is up.[/quote]
    Great article…another former Long Islander who misses the great uniforms.

• todd krevanchi | February 29, 2008 at 11:51 am |

• Marc M. | February 29, 2008 at 11:52 am |

• mrachmiel | February 29, 2008 at 11:52 am |

• Mike | February 29, 2008 at 11:52 am |

Myron Cope celebrations begin: The Pittsburgh Penguins will honor the late, great, Myron Cope at Sunday’s game versus the Atlanta Thrashers. Fans in attendance are being asked to bring their Terrible Towels and join the Penguins in honoring Myron as one of Pittsburgh’s most celebrated broadcasting legends.

• MPowers1634 | February 29, 2008 at 11:58 am |

They pay your salary, do what they say! Simple as that.

What is the old cliche: Don’t bite the hand that feeds you?

The rule is being put into place for people’s protection, not an infringement on their civil rights.

It is also an act of prevention on the part of MLB.

1. They don’t want anyone to get hurt.
    2. They don’t want anyone, particularly children, seeing someone get hurt!

Just my opinion!

• Pat | February 29, 2008 at 12:00 pm |

Problem #1 with your ESPN column today.

When you go see “Semi-Pro” this weekend

Come on… people still like Will Ferrell?

I point you to this (fake)interview which will explain exactly why you should NOT go see Semi-Pro. Sorry I just had to say something.

• LI Phil | February 29, 2008 at 12:01 pm |

safety rules are set up within the workplace for reasons. basically for liability, but also for the general SAFETY of employees.[/quote]

so…then…shouldn’t every hitter be MANDATED to wear baroid bonds body armor? that would, i am CERTAIN, prevent MANY MORE injuries than coaches having to wear helmets? what about FULL FOOTBALL style facemasks…cuz, you know, players do get hit in the face…and why not MANDATE every position player to don john olerud helmets?

would that not improve safety in the workplace?

/and btw, GREAT ABA column paul!

• Paul Lukas | February 29, 2008 at 12:09 pm |

Preseason exhibition game.

[quote comment=”232066″]Problem #1 with your ESPN column today.

When you go see “Semi-Pro” this weekend

Come on… people still like Will Ferrell?[/quote]

• Mike | February 29, 2008 at 12:11 pm |

Hmmmm…….Tropics

• Ian K | February 29, 2008 at 12:16 pm |

[quote comment=”232056″]
    I will enjoy these links at home tonight!
    Some of my favorite sports blow-ups/ rants:
    Peyton Manning’s “idiot kicker”,
    Mora’s, “don’t talk about playoffs”,
    Denny Greens’s “The Bears are who we thought they were”,
    among othere.[/quote]

I still enjoy Mike Gundy’s “I’m a man, I’m 40!” rant.

[quote comment=”232069″][quote comment=”232062″]Great ESPN article, but why would the Claws be playing the 76ers in one of the pics that was posted in the article? Just curious.[/quote]

Preseason exhibition game.

[quote comment=”232066″]Problem #1 with your ESPN column today.

When you go see “Semi-Pro” this weekend

Come on… people still like Will Ferrell?[/quote]

Over at Page 2, we’re kinda assuming most of our readers will see the movie. Although I frankly have no plans to see it myself.[/quote]

I think I heard the LA Times refer to it as the annual Will Ferrell Ironic Sports Movie (TM)

• Duckstyle | February 29, 2008 at 12:20 pm |

[quote comment=”232067″][quote comment=”232061″]remember that this helmet issue is a workplace saftey concern whereas your seatbelt and bike helmet examples arent.

would that not improve safety in the workplace?

/and btw, GREAT ABA column paul![/quote]

That is kinda the point though. If it can help you, and it really doens’t bother the people wearing it, why oppose it so hard? Just saying. And btw, in most cars of you don’t wear your seatbelt the airbag won’t work at all. Why? Because if you fly forward, as you would without the belt on in most cases, the airbag might take your head off, litterally. So most car manufacturers add that as another safety feature. And IMO, Big Brother made a wise decision there.

• LI Phil | February 29, 2008 at 12:31 pm |

[quote]I can’t speak for others, but I personally think it’s a dumb just as much as you do. I’m just saying that it is a rule, so he better start following it, if not, hit the road Jack.[/quote]

true that…it IS a rule…so i guess he’d better start wearing it…done, end of story…end of discussion…he and others have no say and no right to protest…god bless america

[quote] If it can help you, and it really doens’t bother the people wearing it, why oppose it so hard?[/quote]

who said im OPPOSING IT? i am GRATEFUL there are seatbelts in my car and helmets for bicycling

im protesting the MANDATORY wearing of it, that’s all…because if you mandate helmets for coaches for their OWN protection, why have coaches at all? you would then reduce the risk of them being struck by a foul ball, broken bat or errant plastic bottle to 0%! for the safety of the coaches and children everywhere, i say we eliminate the third base coach!

• MPowers1634 | February 29, 2008 at 12:38 pm |

Not sure if a photo exists, but Northwestern St. (LA) has a unique court as well: there are flames that project from the baselines, on both sides of the painted key. Also, the court also has “Demons” on it (men’s team) and “Lady Demons” on it (women’s team).[/quote]

Georgia Tech also has an ENORMOUS yellow jacket at Mid-Court!

If memory serves, Kansas redid their court a few years ago and had a huge Jayhawk placed at Mid-Court as well.

• Proud Canuck | February 29, 2008 at 12:44 pm |

Is the connect to the “blow up man” man Tod. H mentioned a little higher up?

• lwiedy | February 29, 2008 at 12:52 pm |

[quote comment=”232078″]Can anyone explain the floating body/ladder in this ABA shot linked in Paul’s column? Look at the top-centre/right (by the Coke sign).

Is the connect to the “blow up man” man Tod. H mentioned a little higher up?

I’ve heard of retiring jerseys to the rafters, but ladders and blow up dolls? BTW, nice crowd!!

• Mike | February 29, 2008 at 12:53 pm |

That Georgia article about uni numbers says there are 100 choices, but wouldn’t it actually be 99 choices (1-99)?

• todd krevanchi | February 29, 2008 at 12:54 pm |

yet when oregon debuted the color on color name on back, and then further with the color on color name on back and color on color school on front, readers here went crazy…

PL never really chimed in on his opinion on the black oregon uni, perhaps because the premise closely resembles that of the floridians premise, be it the white or black one, and he seems to be a fan of it.

• Bdawg | February 29, 2008 at 1:09 pm |

What is the story with the mannequin(?) and the ladder hanging from the ceiling in this photo?

• Kenny | February 29, 2008 at 1:12 pm |

if youve never heard it, its a must. its my all time favorite.

2nd all time?
    earl weaver on managers corner.

I will enjoy these links at home tonight!
    Some of my favorite sports blow-ups/ rants:
    Peyton Manning’s “idiot kicker”,
    Mora’s, “don’t talk about playoffs”,
    Denny Greens’s “The Bears are who we thought they were”,
    among othere.[/quote]

• Graf Zeppelin | February 29, 2008 at 1:15 pm |

Sorry for the non-uni-related query but…

Anyone else having trouble viewing Mets-Cards on mlb.tv? I keep getting the “We are currently doing maintenance operations…” message.

• Timmy B | February 29, 2008 at 1:21 pm |

Cardinals wearing red helmets with road grays in game with Mets this afternoon.

And Santana just gave up a 3 run HR to Juan Gonzalez……of all people…

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | February 29, 2008 at 1:24 pm |

i saw that too, but i just chalked it up to being the “three men and a baby” boy.

• todd krevanchi (krvanch) | February 29, 2008 at 1:30 pm |

in my opinion, syracuse’ best looking uniforms.

• Mike Engle | February 29, 2008 at 1:33 pm |

[quote comment=”232081″]i found it interesting that when it came to top aba uniforms, the miami floridians, a team with no names or wordmarks, were listed as #2 and #7 for mr hundhausen and PL respectively.

it was just interesting to see almost an entire readership go nuts on a uni, which (for all intents and purposes) featured no visible wording on the front or back, and then literally days later see PL say a uni just like that was in his top 10.[/quote]
    There’s a difference between (a) not having a word-mark at all: the pink and orange stripe job is so iconic, you don’t need one and (b) putting the school’s name on the jersey, but making the questionable decision to blend it in with the jersey too well by going black on black. With literally no non-black clues of team identity (maybe the number font and/or color, but that’s a stretch), they look like emergency-order anti-color clash or “real jerseys lost in transit” jerseys.
    Furthermore, there is brand ID. The Miami Floridians had such great success with the pink and orange stripe, it was on everything associated with them. Jerseys, warm-ups, logos, cheerleaders, bikini-ball girls? Check times five. Pink and orange IS the Miami Floridians. The blackout Oregon Ducks? Going all out on a tertiary color that few fans like because of the school in Bend? Is this really a good idea?
    In the end, I think I’ve made my point pretty clear. The Floridians get the “good,” while the Ducks get the “stupid.” And that, my friends, is the “good or stupid” test.

• Peter | February 29, 2008 at 1:41 pm |

The Toronto Marlies of the AHL are introducing an alternate logo featuring Duke the Dog. I can’t find a shot of it anywhere but they will start selling t-shirts with it on Saturday with third jerseys coming out for next season. When the promotions person was asked if the team was looking at utilizing the old junior hockey Marlboroughs (the interviewer, Bill Berg, played for the that OHL team), and she indicated that it hadn’t tested well with their fans. According to her the fans of the AHL team had very little connection with the old logo. Instead the team went with Duke because they felt it would appeal to families and children, their two key demographics. Berg also wondered out loud how Dancers became part of hockey and the promotions person claimed that they appealed to young girls at the games, and not just dirty old men.

• Bill C. | February 29, 2008 at 1:44 pm |

Shouldn’t the Suns Latino Heritage jersey say “Los Sols” instead of “Los Suns”?

• LI Phil | February 29, 2008 at 1:46 pm |

[quote comment=”232095″]The Toronto Marlies of the AHL are introducing an alternate logo featuring Duke the Dog.[/quote]

i wonder if we’ll see any of these shirts at the games…

• Anthony Verna | February 29, 2008 at 1:59 pm |

Funny, isn’t it, how today’s column ended on a link to a Case Western website (my alma mater) on a trademark note (since it’s the area of law I practice)?

• Ian K | February 29, 2008 at 2:11 pm |

• Jeff B | February 29, 2008 at 2:19 pm |

[quote comment=”232100″][quote comment=”232097″]Shouldn’t the Suns Latino Heritage jersey say “Los Sols” instead of “Los Suns”?[/quote]

Probably, but I bet it’s easier to sew a patch that says “LOS” onto their present uniforms rather than create new uniforms that say “SOLS” instead of “SUNS” (or is it “Soles”?)[/quote]

What about “Los PHX”? That sounds good.

• Mark MihaIik | February 29, 2008 at 2:22 pm |

Todd Helton’s still wearing the Nike Clipper cleats with the Mizuno logo applied over top of the blacked out swoosh.

• Philly Bill | February 29, 2008 at 2:24 pm |

I have an old Toronto Marlboros t-shirt. One of my favorites.

[quote comment=”231998″]So how often does Dallas wear their road whites at home as they did last night against the Blackhawks?[/quote]

Still not sure why the Stars wore white at home last night. (Note the ad on the boards as evidence it’s a home game.) They also did it against Toronto in November. I remember reading about Original Six teams wearing their colors on the road, but I thought that applied to only games against other O6 teams.

[quote comment=”232019″]”Great article here about Butch Goring’s old helmet (with thanks to Craig MacHenry).”
    So the Groton Fishermen, er Islanders, will be celebrating their Stanley Cup run this weekend. I wonder if Leon Stickle will have a place of honor? Arrrrgghhhh!!!!![/quote]

Leon *&^%$#!! Stickle! *&^%$#!!! Arrrrrgghhhh indeed.

Nonetheless, as I’m also a Stars fan, I’m struck by the parallels between Goring and this 19-turned-91. Hopefully the Stars are in line to benefit from atrocious officiating this year, especially after Brad Watson’s ritual dismemberment of them in game 7 in Vancouver last year.

• MPowers1634 | February 29, 2008 at 2:33 pm |

[quote comment=”232091″]not sure if anyone has access to a tv now, but on classic there is a 1990 syracuse v pitt game on.

in my opinion, syracuse’ best looking uniforms.

LA Gear sighting as well as Nike Air Force Five!!!

• Walaitis | February 29, 2008 at 2:40 pm |

• Mark MihaIik | February 29, 2008 at 2:49 pm |

Jose Reyes’ pants are so big that they must’ve gotten caught on his cleats and ripped in the heel.

• Mike | February 29, 2008 at 2:57 pm |

Why is do so many teams need to add “lady” in front of the name? One of my peeves. “Demons” are not gender-specific are they? A former Penn State female athlete once told me that she and her teammates hated this — and refused to wear any “Lady” Lions gear.

• Steve | February 29, 2008 at 3:05 pm |

[quote comment=”232106″]Not quite uni-related, but MAJOR uproar in Chicago right now, as Sam Zell (new owner of the Chicago Tribune, who’s currently working to spin off the Cubs), has clearly stated he intends to sell naming rights to Wrigley.

The Trib’s blog on the story is getting more heated than this site has ever seen over ANY topic![/quote]

Welcome to December 2007. That’s not exactly earth shattering news:

• jere | February 29, 2008 at 3:06 pm |

If anyone’s interested, I’ve got more Papi-in-a-sidecar pics in my post from yesterday, thanks to my DC “correspondents.” I didn’t even realize it was uni-related until now…

• War Damn Eagle | February 29, 2008 at 3:06 pm |

one of my favorite quirks of spring training – teams wearing their home hats with their road uniforms. someone already showed a tigers pic, but it looks odd. i think when the cardinals or nats do it, it looks pretty good.

• chance | February 29, 2008 at 3:17 pm |

[quote comment=”232116″][quote comment=”232063″][quote comment=”232007″][quote comment=”231981″]In addition to Colorado State, Rhode Island’s court also features its Ram logo at center court.[/quote]

Now, I do understand the UMass “Minutewomen” and the Okla. State “lady-cowboys”, even though very awkward-sounding, but others are just superfluous.[/quote]

We talked about this recently, I think – there’s a Catholic high school in Milwaukee which uses “Popes” as the mascot for boys’ sports and… wait for it… “Lady Popes” for the girls.

• scott | February 29, 2008 at 3:19 pm |

• Joey Guns | February 29, 2008 at 3:49 pm |

That Yankees vendor shirt looks a little like the new logo for Animal Planet:

• Walaitis | February 29, 2008 at 4:02 pm |

• Graf Zeppelin | February 29, 2008 at 4:05 pm |

[quote comment=”232123″]Right, the Tigers wear their home caps all spring, just like the Cardinals do. I agree that it’s a neat quirk…[/quote]

For Spring training, sure. Wearing one’s road cap in nine out of every ten regular-season home games is, of course, another matter…

• Forbesy | February 29, 2008 at 4:08 pm |

great article, paul!

• lwiedy | February 29, 2008 at 4:08 pm |

if youve never heard it, its a must. its my all time favorite.

2nd all time?
    earl weaver on managers corner.

I will enjoy these links at home tonight!
    Some of my favorite sports blow-ups/ rants:
    Peyton Manning’s “idiot kicker”,
    Mora’s, “don’t talk about playoffs”,
    Denny Greens’s “The Bears are who we thought they were”,
    among othere.[/quote]

YOU SAW THE DAMN GAME! WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK WENT WRONG?!?! Ole drunken Lou – Man I hate the Cubs[/quote]

This is my favorite:

p.s. KC finished in 1st place that year.

• Leah | February 29, 2008 at 4:17 pm |

Time to start up another “good or stupid” conversation? Unless AP is channel three in selected cities, I don’t get what they were going for there. Anyone else see something I don’t?[/quote]

I didn’t see it at first but the “M” like that resembles zebra/tiger stripes.

• Walaitis | February 29, 2008 at 4:28 pm |

[quote comment=”232136″]s[quote comment=”232128″][quote comment=”232126″]That Yankees vendor shirt looks a little like the new logo for Animal Planet:

I didn’t see it at first but the “M” like that resembles zebra/tiger stripes.[/quote]

I tried to make my eyes see that, too … but it seem like quite a stretch. I see the website is “under consideration dot com” … I hope for AP’s sake, that’s all it is.

• Saru | February 29, 2008 at 4:39 pm |

Why not just “Cowgirls”? “Lady-Cowboys” sounds too close to this–which is fine, but perhaps not for a team of women.

• todd krevanchi | February 29, 2008 at 4:42 pm |

[quote comment=”231995″][quote comment=”231987″]But now it seems obvious — just look at this again, and then look at this.

And there is this as well.[/quote]

Wow, perfect capper — excellent![/quote]

another interesting uni twist…
    the photo here shows charles osgood, the 2nd host of cbs’ weekend magazine show, “sunday morning”.

its original host was a legend in broadcasting, charles kuralt. kuralt’s nephew, justin, was a manager for the north carolina tarheels in the late 80’s and early 90’s… i think its safe to say that he had to deal with his share of warm ups and unis.

• Mark K | February 29, 2008 at 5:08 pm |

[quote comment=”232104″]Hopefully the Stars are in line to benefit from atrocious officiating this year, especially after Brad Watson’s ritual dismemberment of them in game 7 in Vancouver last year.[/quote]

You can’t be serious… http://blog.sportsco...

• Teebz | February 29, 2008 at 5:08 pm |

That’s why Dallas has worn white at home. :o)

• bar57988 | February 29, 2008 at 5:18 pm |

re:Stars home/aways…

Last Saturday @ Nashville, Preds wore white, Stars wore black… Of course, the way it should be…

• bar57988 | February 29, 2008 at 5:21 pm |

[quote comment=”232145″]NHL teams were allowed up to six home dates where they could wear white at home this season with the NHL’s approval.

That’s why Dallas has worn white at home. :o)[/quote]

Oh…

• =bg= | February 29, 2008 at 5:48 pm |

saw an article about how Sam Zell, who I guess now owns the Cubs..wants to sell naming rights for Wrigley.

How about….MARK CUBAN buys the naming rights.

And calls it…Wrigley Field.

Hero for life.

• Mike | February 29, 2008 at 5:49 pm |
  • =bg= | February 29, 2008 at 5:55 pm |

if youve never heard it, its a must. its my all time favorite.

2nd all time?
    earl weaver on managers corner.

I will enjoy these links at home tonight!
    Some of my favorite sports blow-ups/ rants:
    Peyton Manning’s “idiot kicker”,
    Mora’s, “don’t talk about playoffs”,
    Denny Greens’s “The Bears are who we thought they were”,
    among othere.[/quote]

• Alex Joseph | February 29, 2008 at 6:18 pm |

pretty sweet shirts

• Greg | February 29, 2008 at 6:23 pm |

Interesting story from NY Daily News here about why Jaromir Jagr may be playing with a logoless, all black stick for the next day or two.

• =bg= | February 29, 2008 at 6:29 pm |

In case you can’t listen to the Elia tirade (whichI hadn’t heard of) here’s a helpful recap:

Elia lashed back as reporters gathered in his office. In a span of about three minutes, he strung together 448 words. Thirty-nine of those — or about one in every 11 — were ones that would have earned him one month’s detention hall, if not a suspension, when he was in high school.

Elia used four-letter words, 10-letter words and 12-letter words. He dropped 33 of the phrases that have come to be known as f-bombs, mostly with the suffix “ing,” which he shortened to “in’.”

• =bg= | February 29, 2008 at 6:41 pm |

RE: ABA Column now up

Kentucky Colonels; GREAT logo.
    Spirits OF StL: GREAT logo.
    Squires: GREAT logo. (and don’t the colors remind you of a Pinto Wagon with an 8-track?)

One thing; I thought the Floridians unis did have the team name.

• Mark MihaIik | February 29, 2008 at 7:08 pm |

We previously saw an Orioles minor league catcher wearing a Under Armour chest protector, but now Ramon Castro of the Mets is wearing one as well. You can also see little UA logos on his leg guards if you look closely.

The interesting this about this, though, is that it looks exactly like the catcher’s equipment from All-Star. Even the strap on the back is the same. I snooped around to see if All-Star and Under Armour are related somehow corporately and I couldn’t find anything, but I’m still assuming there’s some kind of partnership there. Still, it’s interesting that UA couldn’t at least develop their own pattern.

• S. Bennett | February 29, 2008 at 7:27 pm |

[quote comment=”232167″]RE: ABA Column now up

Kentucky Colonels; GREAT logo.
    Spirits OF StL: GREAT logo.

One thing; I thought the Floridians unis did have the team name.[/quote]

There;s something about that St. Louis logo – the cartoon styling of the plane? That just says “schoolhouse rock” to me. No idea why.

SB

• LynchMob | February 29, 2008 at 7:40 pm |

Today is vintage/classic UW … THANKS, Paul!

• LI Phil | February 29, 2008 at 7:46 pm |

don’t know if this was posted, but anthony reyes of the cards is sporting sweet stirruped socks…as is #13, brendan ryan (will look for a pic)…just seeing this now as im watching the mets-cards encore…

• Mike | February 29, 2008 at 8:18 pm |

Huet made his debut in goal for the Capitals tonight. Couple of things to note: He got a Caps logo onto his mask, right at the chin. Also, he covered his old Montreal numbers with new Caps numbers on the back of the mask, but they do not cover the Montreal numbers.

The Montreal colors sort of work

• Start Dialing | February 29, 2008 at 8:27 pm |

[quote comment=”231964″]So the Playboy Bunny uniform turns 13 today.

Boot to the head.

• Mike | February 29, 2008 at 8:27 pm |

During the Arena Football kickoff show on ESPN they noted there will be a special sensor on 40 helmets this year to measure the force of hits players take to their head. The sensor changes color if there has been a strong blow to the head. While it does not say if they have a concussion, it does tell medical staff there could be a problem. The NFL is looking at this as well. It is not a small thing and sit on the back of the helmet, which I am sure will lead people down the “green dot” path soon enough.

• Sam | February 29, 2008 at 8:53 pm |

Not as extreme as the guy with the Patriots logo tattooed onto his skull, but this is creative.

• Dean | February 29, 2008 at 9:14 pm |

Two things I don’t have pics, but I might go back to the store to get pics. I was at HatWorld today to try to finish my MLB hat collection, and saw 1) a black Mets hat that had a differnt logo, and a nike swoosh on the bill. 2) A Tigers hat that on the back adjuster said “Yankees”

• =bg= | February 29, 2008 at 9:29 pm |

Candlestick is back. Did anyone ask if we want it to begin with?

• Pretty Boy Paulie | February 29, 2008 at 10:15 pm |

Did anybody miss the Suns wearing a “Los Suns” for a Latino Heritage game?! Los Suns!? THATS FREAKIN’ LAME! As a Latino I feel that’s just not trying hard enough and is just grammatically incorrect. You can’t throw “Los” in front of a team’s name and call it Spanish. “SOL” on front of the jersey would have been alot better.

I felt the same when I saw “Los Mets.”

“Los Rangers”

Cerveceros was awesome.

Gigantes was perfect too.

I’d like to see the Cubbies do “Cachorros” or the Yankees do “Jankees”…aahahaha!

• Bryan Redemske | February 29, 2008 at 10:29 pm |

[quote comment=”232162″][quote comment=”232085″][quote comment=”232056″][quote comment=”232045″]i dont know if any of you guys are fans of sports blow ups like i am. but this april will mark the 25 anniversary of lee elia’s historic blow up.

if youve never heard it, its a must. its my all time favorite.

2nd all time?
    earl weaver on managers corner.

I will enjoy these links at home tonight!
    Some of my favorite sports blow-ups/ rants:
    Peyton Manning’s “idiot kicker”,
    Mora’s, “don’t talk about playoffs”,
    Denny Greens’s “The Bears are who we thought they were”,
    among othere.[/quote]

I wanna know how many minutes Elia remained the mgr after that. Wow, the worst ever.[/quote]

• LI Phil | February 29, 2008 at 10:43 pm |

[quote comment=”232218″]Actually, Lee didn’t get canned until later in the season, after Gerald Perry went nuts on the Cubs. Lee’s quote: “Man, I’ve never even heard of him.” (or something to that effect.)

He got canned because the Cubs front office, at the time, took pride in its advance scouting. Whoops.[/quote]

here’s what happened (excellent memory bryan):

In 1983, he was a 22-year-old first baseman and called up to the Braves from Triple-A Richmond. His first road trip was to Wrigley Field. In three games, Aug. 19-21, he went 4-for-9 with six RBIs and hit his first Major League home run. And he was one of the reasons Cubs manager Lee Elia was fired.

“I never heard of this guy Gerald Perry,” Elia said after the first game when Perry was 2-for-3 with three RBIs, including a first-inning homer. “Our coaches don’t scout the International League. He came out of nowhere.”

Elia was fired on Aug. 22

• James Craven | March 1, 2008 at 12:56 am |

Before Ti Kwan Leep, Last Will and Temperament made the phrase “Boot to the head” a Frantics trademark.

• Bryan Redemske | March 1, 2008 at 1:03 am |

[quote comment=”232232″]Actually, Lee didn’t get canned until later in the season, after Gerald Perry went nuts on the Cubs. Lee’s quote: “Man, I’ve never even heard of him.” (or something to that effect.)

W R O N G… Todd K. You are a mistaken again..

Elia got fired because he alienated all 3,000 of the Cubs fuckin’ fans (including me) who actually cared about the Cubs in 1983…
    4 and 15?Todd K,????????? Does that mean vote of confidence for anyone. Todd K….wake-up…

Jim Frey was hired and he Cubs were one game away from the World Series in 1984…Todd K. were you born yet?

I hate Todd K. You know why? He is a liar.[/quote]

Tom — back off. I wrote the post you’re quoting. Todd had nothing to do with it, and hostility toward him is unnecessary.

• James Craven | March 1, 2008 at 1:03 am |
  • Dan King | March 1, 2008 at 1:05 am |

[quote comment=”232228″]yankees are supposedly wearing this hat in there game against VaTech in March[/quote]
    i love the inset picture of the VT logo on the side. i don’t think anyone will have a problem seeing it in the regular picture.

• Josh | March 1, 2008 at 1:07 am |

The Suns jerseys will be orange with the “LOS SUNS” on the front in a different font than their regular font. It looks almost like the old Toronto Blue Jays font with the rounded letters. I have seen a pic but not online to put a link in.

About the name – there a are a couple of reasons they aren’t using “Sols”
    First of all, there’s a WNBA team called the Miami Sol. I don’t think they want people to confuse the teams.
    Also, I believe that because Suns is a proper name, you wouldn’t translate it. So they are “Los Suns” or “The Suns” When you’er talking abotu the actual sun you’d say sol, but when you are talking about something named Suns you wouldn’t change their name.

• James Craven | March 1, 2008 at 1:13 am |

Horse from Ren and Stimpy just called.

[quote]“No sir, I don’t like it.”[quote]

• James Craven | March 1, 2008 at 1:16 am |

Well, Josh. There was a team called the Miami Sol.

• todd krevanchi | March 1, 2008 at 1:23 am |

[quote comment=”232246″]Well, Josh. There was a team called the Miami Sol.

They ceased to be a couple years ago, while the Orlando Miracle became the Connecticut Sun.[/quote]

james, a fellow wnba fan? or is that just knowledge for you?

• Tim Frederick | March 7, 2008 at 1:41 pm |

Uni numbers at the combine seems to be assigned by alphabetical order of the players’ last names.

Tim Frederick