Put That in Your Pipe and Smoke It

pipeinspire.jpg

That pipe is just amazing, no? It may end up replacing this as my brain’s reflexive go-to image whenever Billy’s name comes up (although the go-to words will always be “Ed Whitson” and “marshmallow salesman”). It also got me thinking that the Tigers’ current manager is known to be a smoker, too. And that in turn got me thinking about images of sports figures and smoking.

Leyland and Martin are hardly the only managers and coaches who’ve been known to light up. Back in the 1970s, Earl Weaver nicknamed erratic Orioles closer Don Stanhouse “Full Pack,” because that’s how many cigs Weaver nervously went through during one of Stanhouse’s tight-wire appearances. And I know I’ve seen pics of NFL coaches smoking, although I can’t find any at the moment.

Much more interesting are shots of smoking athletes. Nowadays, of course, it would be unthinkable for an player to appear with a cigarette dangling from his lip, but that wasn’t always the case. A quick search of the blog’s archives turned up the following:

• One of the classic SI covers of all time.

• What did Don Meredith do after losing the Ice Bowl? He lit up, of course.

Roger Maris smoked during his epic 1961 season.

• Here’s a postgame celebration from the Kansas City Chiefs’ AFL days (not sure which year). That’s Sherrill Headrick with the coffin nail.

As for today’s athletes, I know Marlins pitcher Scott Olsen smokes, as does boxer Ricardo Mayorga, but I’ve never seen either of them — or any other current athlete I can think of — photographed with a cigarette. But cigars are apparently more acceptable — so acceptable, in fact, that even Mr. Wholesome White Boy himself, David Wright, appeared with a stogie after the Mets clinched the N.L. East title in 2006.

Sports and tobacco have a long, intertwined history. Most early baseball cards were promotional giveaways to boost sales of tobacco products. History’s most famous baseball card, in fact, owes its scarcity to the fact that Honus Wagner was a non-smoker and didn’t want his likeness used to promote tobacco, so he had the card taken out of production (or at least that’s the prevailing rationale — there are some competing theories as well).

Later on, tobacco companies used sports imagery in their print ads — sometimes just generic illustrations but more often in the form of celebrity endorsements by famous baseball or football players. As for broadcast media, I’m just barely old enough to have seen televised cigarette ads before they were banned, although I don’t recall athletes appearing in the televised spots. Anyone know more about that?

It’s also worth noting that loads of athletes smoke weed, although former Mets pitcher Grant Roberts is the only one I can think of who’s been stupid enough to get photographed in the act. (Roberts shouldn’t be confused with former Mets Tony Tarasco and Mark Corey, who had to admit that they’d been smoking pot shortly after a 2002 game when Corey went into a seizure and collapsed, leaving Tarasco to face the EMTs who asked, “Did he ingest anything unusual in the past hour or so?” Since Corey was still, like, convulsing on the floor, Tarasco figured he’d better tell the truth instead of blaming it on a bad oyster or something like that.)

Of course, there’s also the issue of baseball players who chew tobacco (easily identified by the telltale round canister in their back pockets), but that’s another topic for another day.

Research Project: Yesterday I linked to a photo of Jim Kyte blow-drying his hearing aid. That led to a handful of really interesting notes — some in the comments section, some e-mailed to me directly — about deaf athletes and their specialized equipment needs, a topic I’d never thought about before.

I’d like to explore this subject in more detail. If anyone knows more about it, please get in touch.

Uni Watch News Ticker: Reprinted from yesterday’s comments: Great article here about the guy who designed the leather football helmets for the upcoming Leatherheads flick. … Also from yesterday: Under Armour has gotten into the chest protector biz (which means they’re basically making outer armor). … First pics of the Giants’ starting pitchers wearing stirrups are here, here, and here. I’d prefer to see a lot more white showing, but it’s a good start (with thanks to Jamie Costello). … Some of the subtlest uniform branding I’ve ever seen was on Dale Ernhardt Jr.’s fire suit at the Daytona 500 on Sunday,” writes Greg Riffenburgh. “As you may know, he recently signed a contract to be outfitted by Adidas. But since so many other brands have their logos on the suit, Adidas used a triple-stiching quilt pattern.” … While researching something else, I came across a great site featuring military ribbon insignia — fun to click through. … Rutgers has unveiled new baseball uniforms. Note the distinction between the new cap logo and last year’s model (with thanks to David Berger). … The Pirates’ spring training 40th-anniversary patch is really, uh, subtle. … Lots of surprisingly interesting arena football helmet details available in item No. 18 on this list (with thanks to Neal Shaffer). … Christopher Drouin reports that Michigan State’s lacrosse team puts the players’ names on the back of the helmets. … Kenn Tomasch spent yesterday at Cubs camp, where he snapped this shot of Alfonso Soriano inspecting an unidentified teammate’s collar tag, while the teammate appears to be examining his shirttail tag. Odd. … Third question on this Q&A page features some news regarding Reds uni numbers (with thanks to David Sonny). … Interesting article here about high-tech performance gear in many different sports (as spotted by Patrick Baude).

248 comments to Put That in Your Pipe and Smoke It

• Teebz | February 19, 2008 at 8:33 am |

I’ll keep you posted if I find any.

• Pat | February 19, 2008 at 8:40 am |

The most famous smoker in sports history.

Also, Tommy Heinsohn was known to smoke a lot as well. I know I’ve seen locker room pics of him ripping butts but I can’t seem to find one online.

• Football » Put That in Your Pipe and Smoke It | February 19, 2008 at 8:42 am |

[…] Paul Lukas wrote a fantastic post today on “Put That in Your Pipe and Smoke It”Here’s ONLY a quick extractHere’sa postgame celebration from the Kansas City Chiefs’ AFL days (not sure which year). That’s Sherrill Headrick with the coffin nail. • Not sure who this curler is, but his use of the broom was particularly apropos. … […]

• Jim | February 19, 2008 at 8:48 am |

[quote comment=”227629″]Good research project, Paul. In looking for other hockey players who have suffered from hearing loss from yesterday’s topic, Steve Downie of the Philadelphia Flyers has some sort of hearing loss. I’ve been searching for others, but have had no such luck yet.

I’ll keep you posted if I find any.[/quote]

Think that’s why Downie apparantly can’t hear people telling him to stop playing so dirty this season?!?

• steve | February 19, 2008 at 8:48 am |

James Hunt after the race.

• CraigD | February 19, 2008 at 8:52 am |

I have worn hearing aids since I was 3. Played high school football. Fortunately for the hearing aid, I wasn’t very good. So there was no danger of too much sweat shorting it out or a major collision or anything. Biggest worry for me was having the stupid battery run out during practice and having to say “WHAT?” every 5 seconds.

• Rich | February 19, 2008 at 8:55 am |

Reminds me of an article I saw somewhere (sorry, don’t remember) about John Kruk. Some lady was criticizing him for smoking, and said something about how athlete’s shouldn’t smoke, etc., and he told her “I’m not an athlete, I’m a baseball player.”
    :-)

• Adam | February 19, 2008 at 8:56 am |

• Mike | February 19, 2008 at 8:57 am |

You can see the three stripe Adidas on Jr’s pants here: http://news.yahoo.co...

During the race you could see he had gloves with the three stripes on them…..

• Breezy | February 19, 2008 at 8:59 am |

Good thing Junior stayed with red 8’s…

yeehaa!

• Joey Guns | February 19, 2008 at 9:00 am |

Does this count as an athlete with a cigarette, or are we not counting golf?

• Adam | February 19, 2008 at 9:00 am |

Follow up to above item re: Michael Vick’s cannabis consumption.

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 9:01 am |

[quote comment=”227643″]I couldn’t find it this morning, but I know I once saw a picture of Michael Vick smoking what appears to be a blunt with a female companion in the back of a limo. I’ll continue my search…[/quote]

this?

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 9:01 am |

damn skippy…beat me to the blunt

• John | February 19, 2008 at 9:06 am |

Rich, you magnificent bastard! You beat me to it!

• KW | February 19, 2008 at 9:10 am |

Paul –

Yesterday I thought that UA Chest Protector was a fake that was really a butchered All-Star but then I found this…you would think UA would come up with their own look for the design.

By the way, did you get the package I sent?

• Rick White in Cedar Park, TX | February 19, 2008 at 9:15 am |

Dang! Look at the scratches on his face!

• Ash | February 19, 2008 at 9:16 am |

I believe that Cowboy running back Julius Jones is a smoker.

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 9:27 am |

Dang! Look at the scratches on his face![/quote]

• teamcinnamon | February 19, 2008 at 9:27 am |

Best episode ever!

• Glen | February 19, 2008 at 9:29 am |

HOw can anyone forget Angel Cabrera at the us open?

• Craig Pillow | February 19, 2008 at 9:30 am |

• Stuby | February 19, 2008 at 9:30 am |

Also, I don’t think this awesome picture has been linked yet. Sorry if it has.

• Truman Winbush | February 19, 2008 at 9:36 am |

• Killbot Factory | February 19, 2008 at 9:39 am |

• Shaftman | February 19, 2008 at 9:41 am |

Here’s one of Jim Leyland (when he was with the Pirates).

• Miguel | February 19, 2008 at 9:43 am |

I’m at work, so I can’t make a screen cap, but you can catch Keith Hernandez smoking on Seinfeld.

• Killbot Factory | February 19, 2008 at 9:43 am |

Ugh.

• dm00n [Doug] | February 19, 2008 at 9:43 am |

Here is a grab bag of smokers, or smoking spokesmen anyways.

• Breezy | February 19, 2008 at 9:45 am |

Of course the Babe was known to smoke a few cigars…wchihc I if I am not mistaken was a cause of his throat cancer. But who knew he rolled his own:

Bambino!

• dm00n [Doug] | February 19, 2008 at 9:45 am |

Damned tripod and hotlinking, here is the page with a Chesterfield multi-sport ad (and a lot of other good stuff as well).

• Stuby | February 19, 2008 at 9:45 am |

[quote comment=”227672″]One of the classic shots of all is Dave Parker in the canary Pirate uni taking a deep drag.[/quote]The funny thing about the Dave Parker pic I linked in Comment #23 is that The player wearing #23 in the background is also firing it up, just more discreetly.

• Breezy | February 19, 2008 at 9:48 am |

Everybody loves a smoke!

Smoke ’em if you got ’em

• Nfl » Put That in Your Pipe and Smoke It | February 19, 2008 at 9:49 am |

[…] andPOP | Music, Entertainment, Technology and Gaming News wrote an interesting post today on Put That in Your Pipe and Smoke ItHere’s a quick excerpt The new issue of SABR’s Baseball Research Journal has an incredible photo of Billy Martin on the back cover, dating back to his early-’70s stint managing the Tigers — check it out. That pipe is just amazing, no? It may end up replacing this as my brain’s reflexive go-to image whenever Billy’s name comes up (although the go-to words will always be “Ed Whitson” and “marshmallow salesman”). It also got me thinking that the Tigers’ current manager is known to be a smoker, too. And that in turn g […]

• Richard from MA | February 19, 2008 at 9:49 am |

Bryan will probably recognize this Tour de France poster.

And the accompanying drinking one.

• DawgFan | February 19, 2008 at 9:52 am |

I saw an interview with Hank Aaron on ESPN during Bonds chase. It was a replay of Hank in 1973 when he was chasing Ruth, a few times they showed him sitting in the lockerroom smoking during the interview.

• Pat | February 19, 2008 at 9:52 am |

[quote comment=”227675″]Lenny Dykstra sez: “Those wimpy little canisters are smokeless tobacco, not chewing tobacco, trust me.”

There is a big difference. You try chewing on a lip of skoal or coppenhagen. Good luck to you. Red Man chews much better. But skoal is more delicious.

My comment was really to say that I love the opening picture. Rene Magritte does some genious work, the least of which being The Treachery of Images. Thanks, Paul, for bringing me back to my 20th Century Art class in college. Magritte was one of my favorites. Very nice.

This is not a pipe.

• kings33 | February 19, 2008 at 9:53 am |

Vlade Divac was notorious for smoking before/after Charlotte Hornets games.

Can’t find a pic, though

• Robert | February 19, 2008 at 9:54 am |

[quote comment=”227671″]I remember former Cowboy (and I guess rodeo star)Walt Garrison doing TV ads for Skoal, Copenhagen and Happy Days smokeless tobacco in the 70s. Here’s a print ad.

Also, I don’t think this awesome picture has been linked yet. Sorry if it has.[/quote]
    Carlton Fisk did similar ads. The catchline, issued as he was chopping down a tree, was “I hope it clears the fence,” an obvious reference to his theatrics in the 1975 World Series.

• dm00n [Doug] | February 19, 2008 at 9:56 am |
  • ryan c #40 | February 19, 2008 at 10:00 am |

and i remember seeing a picture of al iafrate of the cpaitals lighting a cig with the blow torch he used to fix the curve on his stick. can’t find the picture though.

phil? anything on either???

• ryan c #40 | February 19, 2008 at 10:00 am |

and i remember seeing a picture of al iafrate of the cpaital lighting a cig with the blow torch he used to fix the curve on his stick. can’t find the picture though.

phil? anything on either???

• Bob | February 19, 2008 at 10:00 am |

On the statue of Craig Biggio outside Minute Maid Park, you can see a can of dip in his back pocket.

You can kinda see it here

• Kevin | February 19, 2008 at 10:01 am |

Didn’t Mario Lemieux used to be a very heavy smoker?

• Nick | February 19, 2008 at 10:05 am |

DEAF NFL PLAYERS

St. Louis NFL Cardinals DL Bonnie Sloan played in the 1970s and I believe was the only deaf player in the NFL at that time.

________________________________

SMOKING COACHES IN THE NFL

Cardinals OL Coach, later Head Coach Jim Hanifan was the ALL-TIME SMOKING KING of the NFL. He would often be seen by the TV cameras smoking on the sidelines, one after another.

Hanifan was the Kobiashi of NFL smoking !!!!

In the 1970s Dick Nolan smoked alot while coaching the 49ers in his sharp-looking SUIT !!!
    He resembled an NFL version of Dean Martin !!!

• Nick | February 19, 2008 at 10:06 am |

DEAF NFL PLAYERS

________________________________

SMOKING COACHES IN THE NFL

Hanifan was the Kobiashi of NFL smoking !!!!

He resembled an NFL version of Dean Martin !!!

• todd krevanchi | February 19, 2008 at 10:11 am |

its interesting how i pay hundreds of dollars a month just so i can inhale air somewhat normally, while these guys, who need to rely on their lungs for stamina, pay hundreds of dollars per month just so they can inhale smoke.

• Helmets Match Pants | February 19, 2008 at 10:13 am |

Junior’s firesuit stitching subtle?????

I guess my logo creep detector is much too sensitive…

I hope it doesn’t pose a problem for me in life.

• Anthony Verna | February 19, 2008 at 10:15 am |

René and Georgette Magritte with their dog after the war. . .

Wonderful picture today, Paul!

• Anthony Verna | February 19, 2008 at 10:16 am |

Todd – congratulations.

I also know that quite a few tennis players today smoke – I figure there’s a cultural reason behind it.

• Zach Smith | February 19, 2008 at 10:19 am |

Let us not forget that Wake Forest Unversity was moved from Wake Forest, NC to Winston-Salem, NC because the RJ Reynolds Tobacco family basically paid for the move.

All of the schools major athletic facilities are right next door to the RJ Reynolds plant and you can often smell the tobacco from the plants when at fall afternoon football games.

• Jim W | February 19, 2008 at 10:20 am |

I can’t find any pics but did you see the Sharks/Islanders game yesterday? Nabokov took one in the mask – the cage broke and cut him in the cheek. He came back to start the third period.

Go to: http://www.tsn.ca/

Click on “TSN Broadband” and choose Sharks/Islanders Highlights. Good stuff.

• Joe Drennan | February 19, 2008 at 10:22 am |

lemuix did smoke a lot, but later quit. I remember him talking about it on the old NHL Cool Shots show. Blackhawks coach Denis Savard is a heavy smoker too.

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 10:23 am |

did someone ask for dick trickle?

see dick smoke

• JMC | February 19, 2008 at 10:29 am |

Thanks for the shoutout Paul but all the credit goes to GiantFan9 who writes a great spring training blog where those pictures come from:

• Shaftman | February 19, 2008 at 10:37 am |

Mike Ditka (cigar)

Babe Ruth (pipe)

• Walaitis | February 19, 2008 at 10:45 am |

[quote comment=”227664″][quote comment=”227660″][quote comment=”227649″]Does this count as an athlete with a cigarette, or are we not counting golf?

Dang! Look at the scratches on his face![/quote]

supposedly his wife attacked him with a knife…police were called…daly’s wife, children, the knife and whatever remained of his manhood, were never found[/quote]

Are you sure those aren’t stretch marks? ;)

on a curious note … what’s with comments in recent days that are just quotes attributed back to what Paul says without any comment or reference of any kind (with the comment attributed to a user name = that days post headline)?

• Shaftman | February 19, 2008 at 10:45 am |

• todd krevanchi | February 19, 2008 at 10:48 am |

there is a difference between cigar smokers.

you have the cigar smoker. the guy who just smokes cigars… just like they are cigarettes.

the event cigar smoker. the guy who smokes at events. golf, race track, etc.

the celebration cigar smoker. the guy who smokes in celebration of something. bachelor party, wedding, baby, championship, etc.

you have to distinguish which is which. i used to be an event and celebration smoker.

• Pat | February 19, 2008 at 10:54 am |

[quote comment=”227731″]Also, as long as we’re on the topic we should remember that most of us are not advocating smoking or chewing of anything. We are merely displaying the acts that have previously been documented.

With that in mind never forget people like Rick Bender whose own choices led to him having to survive oral cancer caused by chewing tobacco. He lost part of his tongue and jaw in surgeries.[/quote]

Good call. I flat out quit at midnight New Years Day. It’s tough. My friends still dip when we go out and as soon as they open a tin I can smell it and crave it. Seeing that guy and a few others with faces like his scared me straight.

I’ll always love the smell, just like he said. And I’ll always want a lip when someone opens a tin.

I don’t know if there is anymore, but I used to see a ton of skoal and copenhagen ads in Sports Illustrated (I don’t get it anymore). The ones I remember didn’t use athletes, but a I remember a lot of them used NASCAR (or NASCAR-like) images.

All I ever remember is “Always there in a pinch.” I never really got that until many years later.

• art | February 19, 2008 at 10:59 am |

• Ryan M. | February 19, 2008 at 11:01 am |

I am pretty sure there is a pic of Kieth Hernandez smoking in the Jeff Pearlman book, “The Bad Guys Won.”

• Johnny O | February 19, 2008 at 11:01 am |

• Shaftman | February 19, 2008 at 11:04 am |

[quote comment=”227740″]Here’s a classic shot of Super Mario smoking during a race long after cyclists stopped believing that cigarettes, “opened up the lungs”:

I believe you meant to link to this picture.

• todd krevanchi | February 19, 2008 at 11:04 am |

i started in college. sophomore year.
    a friend worked for skoal in the summer and he would come to our apt and drop off duffle bags of sleeves of straight, mint, and cherry (which had just come out at that time).
    during IM softball i jumped to levi garrett which turned to red man golden blend and then to one of my favorites, lancaster.
    it just became a habit after that. my tin was no different than my watch or my keys. had to have it with me.

finally i gave it up for lent last year.
    90% of my friends still chew and id be lying if i said that in the summer at softball, or at an outdoor picnic, i dont want to snag a lip.

• Phil | February 19, 2008 at 11:04 am |

David Letterman’s NBC Bookmobile once featured “Keith Hernandez’ Smoke Like a Big Leaguer.”

• Duckstyle | February 19, 2008 at 11:06 am |

[quote comment=”227708″]as a lifelong asthmatic, and one who has recently been diagnosed with the inflammatory lung disorder sarcoidosis, i cant help but shudder any time i see anyone, let alone an athlete smoke.

however i did have a habit of chewing kodiak for 15 years. on thursday, it will be 1 year that i quit cold turkey.[/quote]

I’ll admitt that up until the middle of December I was a pack-a-day smoker. And I have chronic bronchitis, basically I have bronchitis about 4-5 months out of the year. Stupid, but I still rationalized why I needed to smoke for about 8 years.

• The Ol Goaler | February 19, 2008 at 11:07 am |

[quote comment=”227686″]Everybody loves a smoke!

Smoke ’em if you got ’em[/quote]
    Oddly enough, Stan “The Man” Musial (the guy in the center of the photo) wasn’t a smoker…

Musial became a wealthy man due to his restaurant and hotel businesses following his playing career. While still a player, he’d show up at “Stan Musial and Biggie’s” to meet-and-greet; he avoided the constant offers of “Lemme buy you a drink!” by walking about with an ice-filled glass in his hand, smiling, and saying, “Thanks! Already got one!”

Mr. Musial autographed a baseball and a B&W “glossy” of himself for me at that restaurant — those items won’t be seen on E-Bay until I’ve shuffled off this mortal coil!

• Brian K. | February 19, 2008 at 11:07 am |

Also, didn’t get a chance to post yesterday, but those NBA All-Star Uni’s were an utter and absolute abomination. I didn’t watch the game live, but when the highlights were on SportsCenter later that night, it literally took me a couple of minutes to figure out what the hell was going on! It was totally unwatchable. Add Steven A. Smith to the mix and it was unlistenble too!

• Joey Guns | February 19, 2008 at 11:09 am |

[quote comment=”227666″]I’m sure I’ve also seen pics of Guy LaFleur and Keith Hernandez smoking, but I can’t find them at the moment.

Best episode ever![/quote]

No play for Mister Gray…..

• Joe J. | February 19, 2008 at 11:14 am |

Dale Jr. has a Redskin’s logo on his glasses?

• Joe J. | February 19, 2008 at 11:16 am |

^^ nevermind. I zoomed in and it’s not…

• Cork | February 19, 2008 at 11:17 am |

I would say THIS is the most famous magazine cover featuring a smoking athlete.

• TOG | February 19, 2008 at 11:19 am |

And Jim Leyland continues to puff away (and looks like it)…

• Shaftman | February 19, 2008 at 11:22 am |

[quote comment=”227753″]Dale Jr. has a Redskin’s logo on his glasses?[/quote]

Looks like a Chevy logo to me.

• Mike | February 19, 2008 at 11:27 am |

quote] Any idea what is written on the lowest part of the mask?

• steve | February 19, 2008 at 11:29 am |

They are SPY glasses.

• Bo in Boulder | February 19, 2008 at 11:29 am |

Weird to see someone with something dangling from his mouth swinging the bat…

• TOG | February 19, 2008 at 11:32 am |

Dale Jr. has a Redskin’s logo on his glasses?

Looks like a Chevy logo to me.

You would not be far off…

Might not be the Redskins logo but Jr. is a huge Redskins fan. When we were working with Dan Snyder on the Redskins black alternate uni, we met with Dan and he had a replica Dale Jr car (small scale of course) in his office and mentioned Dale’s passion for the Redskins. Not sure if there’s a Gibbs tie in there or not?

• Joey Guns | February 19, 2008 at 11:37 am |

quote] Any idea what is written on the lowest part of the mask?[/quote]

It looks like it says: IBAR VISION

• Stuby | February 19, 2008 at 11:37 am |

Weird to see someone with something dangling from his mouth swinging the bat…[/quote]
    UL Washington of the 1980 Royals always had a toothpick in his mouth. It can sort of be seen on this baseball card.

• steve | February 19, 2008 at 11:38 am |

[quote comment=”227763″]Dale Jr. has a Redskin’s logo on his glasses?

Looks like a Chevy logo to me.

You would not be far off…

They are Spy glasses

• Marty Met | February 19, 2008 at 11:41 am |

Hopefully today’s post will prompt Vince to quit.

• Phil | February 19, 2008 at 11:45 am |

At work so no pics, but Glenallen Hill, Mark Grace, Kaz Ishii and Orlando “El Duque” Hernandez were/are all smokers… El Duque was the best- a few years ago (99-00) at Yankee Spring Training, the guy ripped butts like it was going out of style. In the bullpen, outside of the stadium… everywhere. Gotta love that guy.

• Mike | February 19, 2008 at 11:45 am |

As far as branding goes, isn’t this a bit much…?

Under Armor indeed

• Moose | February 19, 2008 at 11:49 am |

[quote comment=”227746″]i started in college. sophomore year.

finally i gave it up for lent last year.

my dentist has noticed a recognizeable difference. he always had said to me, “you need to lay off of the, ‘ahem’, candy.”[/quote]

mnmm…..levi garrett. i too quite, 3 years ago, but just the sound of it makes me want a plug.

• Mike D | February 19, 2008 at 11:50 am |

I seem to recall Lou Pinella smoking a cigarette a few years back in the dugout. Can’t find any pictures though.

• KT | February 19, 2008 at 11:51 am |

[quote comment=”227670″]I’ll bet you that the picture of the Chiefs celebrating a championship actually was from 1962, when they were the Dallas Texans, and they defeated the Houston Oilers 20-17 in what is still the longest professional football game ever.[/quote]

That’s not even the longest game played by the Texans/Chiefs franchise. December 25, 1971 when the Dolphins beat the Chiefs 27-24 in double overtime – that game went 82:40 (Texans/Oilers went 77:54).

And, if you’re like me and you consider the USFL to have been “professional football” (though not NFL calibre), on June 30, 1984, the Los Angeles Express/Arizona Wranglers USFL playoff game that went into a third overtime for a total playing time of 93:33.

That’s the longest professional football game ever.

• Surface Water Runoff | February 19, 2008 at 11:55 am |

I’m not sure where Grant Roberts is from, but that picture is country stupid. He was the equivalent of a batting practice pitcher in MVP Baseball 2003, as I recall.

• Joey Guns | February 19, 2008 at 11:55 am |

The Suns and Nuggets will be playing a pre-season game outdoors in October 2008…..

• KT | February 19, 2008 at 11:56 am |

[quote comment=”227755″]I would say THIS is the most famous magazine cover featuring a smoking athlete.[/quote]

Speaking of an SI cover of an athlete who is smoking

• Joe Drennan | February 19, 2008 at 12:05 pm |

OK, I sent the comment onto Paul that I remember seeing a picture of Stan Mikita smoking after a game, but I can’t find it and neither can he. Anybody out there have any luck finding it?

• TOG | February 19, 2008 at 12:06 pm |

Original Six uniforms on the big screen?

Blackhawks uniforms
    Wayne’s World 2

Clark Griswold // Natonal Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

Red Wings
    Gordie Howe // Ferris Buller’s Day Off

Other recollections of NHL O-6 in the movies???

• Al Gruwell | February 19, 2008 at 12:09 pm |

Mark Grace ripped butts like crazy, usually in the tunnel to the clubhouse at Wrigley.

• Donnie Darko | February 19, 2008 at 12:09 pm |

The pic below sent shockwaves through the international media covering the ’06 World Cup in Germany… of course many already knew Zizou enjoyed his a nic fix.

• Kenny | February 19, 2008 at 12:12 pm |

[quote comment=”227776″]As far as branding goes, isn’t this a bit much…?

Under Armor indeed[/quote]

X marks the spot

• Mike | February 19, 2008 at 12:12 pm |

[quote comment=”227789″]Original Six uniforms on the big screen?

Blackhawks uniforms
    Wayne’s World 2

Clark Griswold // Natonal Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

Red Wings
    Gordie Howe // Ferris Buller’s Day Off

Other recollections of NHL O-6 in the movies???[/quote]

Blackhawks played the Pens in Sudden Death if I am not mistaken.

• Joe Drennan | February 19, 2008 at 12:16 pm |

Blackhawks uniforms
    Wayne’s World 2

Clark Griswold // Natonal Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

Red Wings
    Gordie Howe // Ferris Buller’s Day Off

Other recollections of NHL O-6 in the movies???[/quote]

Blackhawks played the Pens in Sudden Death if I am not mistaken.[/quote]
    The charecter Doug in Cutting Edge had a Hull Hawks Jersey

Let’s not forget the movie the Mighty Ducks 3 when the JV team comes out in the 3rd period wearing the NHL team’s jerseys, only to go on and beat the mighty varsity. Who saw that one coming?

• Donnie Darko | February 19, 2008 at 12:19 pm |

• John T | February 19, 2008 at 12:20 pm |

With St. Patricks day upon us, we get the usual Green treatment, nhl shop has a whole section for green wear(UGH!!)

• Ronnie Poore | February 19, 2008 at 12:23 pm |

Joe DiMaggio endorses Camel cigarettes:

and Joe photographed smoking:

• Jim | February 19, 2008 at 12:27 pm |

[quote comment=”227743″]Along with John Daly I think it is pretty common for golfers to smoke…especially on the European Tour. For example; Thomas Bjorn Darren Clarke always has a cigar in his mouth And then there is lesser known Nicolas Colsaerts Last but not least, Ben Hogan usually was smoking, and in this famous picture it shows Hogan lighting up with Arnie. It’s actually called “The smoking picture”.[/quote]

I was at the Phoenix Open about 10 years ago – #1 tee box. Fuzzy Zoeller is introduced, he walks up to the tee box, puts his cigarette on the grass, tees up, drives the ball about 290 down the middle (no practice swing), picks up the cig and walks down the fairway… classic.

• Ryne | February 19, 2008 at 12:29 pm |

quote] Any idea what is written on the lowest part of the mask?[/quote]

• Joe from WV | February 19, 2008 at 12:30 pm |

John Kruk was (is?) a smoker. He even named his autobiography after an incident in which a woman told him he shouldn’t be smoking as he was a professional athlete. His reply was, of course “I ain’t an athlete, lady; I play baseball.”

• Al | February 19, 2008 at 12:32 pm |

One thing regarding Adidas logo creep.

Nike had its logos on the race shoes of Al Unser Jr. and Dale Earnhardt, but who knows if these were made by Beaverton, Ore., or were commissioned to Bill Simpson to make a fireproof shoe?

Also, those Adidas stripes had to have been quilted in and not sewn in; the construction of those full suits changed after Tom Sneva’s fiery crash at Indy in 1975. Sneva was OK except for pinhole-sized burn marks around his shoulders.

Seems that epaulets were made mandatory in USAC racing at the time to help rescue workers pull drivers out of the cars, but the people making Sneva’s suit sewed the epaulets onto the suit by stitching all the way through the suit instead of fastening it to the outer skin.

• Neil | February 19, 2008 at 12:33 pm |

Dion Phaneuf and Miikka Kiprusoff lighting up:

• emd2k3 | February 19, 2008 at 12:34 pm |

I can’t believe Jersey Joe is still a UW sponsor … a GREEN METS BP JERSEY in an ad? What the?

Heresy!!

• Mark W | February 19, 2008 at 12:35 pm |

Nearly 100 posts and no one posts this famous smoker?

This isn’t the photo I was looking for, but it’ll do.

• Lincoln | February 19, 2008 at 12:37 pm |

I believe that is Felix Pie that Soriano is looking at. They have a brother-like relationship, so maybe he is making sure Pie is dressed properly.

• KT | February 19, 2008 at 12:40 pm |
  • MPowers1634 | February 19, 2008 at 12:40 pm |

Under Armor indeed[/quote]

X marks the spot[/quote]

The U and A are interlocking, not an X.

• B. Hill | February 19, 2008 at 12:41 pm |

• Joe Drennan | February 19, 2008 at 12:45 pm |

I’ve done my civic duty today and voted against the black.

• Ryan B | February 19, 2008 at 12:49 pm |

[quote comment=”227789″]Original Six uniforms on the big screen?

Blackhawks uniforms
    Wayne’s World 2

Clark Griswold // Natonal Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

Red Wings
    Gordie Howe // Ferris Buller’s Day Off

Other recollections of NHL O-6 in the movies???[/quote]
    Boston Bruins – Happy Gilmore (especially in the Sandler/Bob Barker fight scene)

I can’t believe nobody thought of that one before now!

• Rick | February 19, 2008 at 12:50 pm |

[quote comment=”227799″]On the All-Star game, checked the comments and didn’t see a mention of the Kevin Durant ad, which was pretty cool for uni-watchers

That ad has been on since at least November, when it was posted to YouTube.

• odessasteps magazine | February 19, 2008 at 12:55 pm |

From the Washington Post’s Capitals Blog:

*Olie Kolzig is wearing a special jersey today. On the back, it’s got his No. 37 over a puzzle piece. The jersey will be auctioned off to support Kolzig’s charity, Athletes Against Autism. The other players will wear a similar jersey for the morning skate on Wednesday.

• MPowers1634 | February 19, 2008 at 1:02 pm |

Never mind, found it!

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 1:06 pm |

any chance for a UW petition to get this guy to WEAR HIS CAP properly?

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 1:11 pm |

from the main article:

[quote]• One of the classic SI covers of all time.[/quote]

Never mind, found it![/quote]

coincidence?

• Stuby | February 19, 2008 at 1:12 pm |

Never mind, found it![/quote]
    Hmmm. Wherever did you find it? :^J

• KT | February 19, 2008 at 1:12 pm |

Dude, that’s just eerie.

• Mitch | February 19, 2008 at 1:15 pm |

South Dakota State University unveils new logo.

• Rick White in Cedar Park, TX | February 19, 2008 at 1:16 pm |

[quote comment=”227826″][quote comment=”227823″]The Chicago Rush need your help, UniWatch loyalists!!! Paul’s ticker item on the new Arena League helmets got me looking at the Rush site. They’re letting the public vote on whether they should go monochrome black with their third uniform this year. Please go to http://www.chicagoru... and vote for silver pants … PLEASE!!!![/quote]
    I’ve done my civic duty today and voted against the black.[/quote]

Me too.

• S. Bennett | February 19, 2008 at 1:17 pm |

SB

• BCrisp | February 19, 2008 at 1:20 pm |

I’m sure Paul will have a field day breaking down who chose what. Also will 1st base coaches get left ear flaps while third base coaches get right ear flaps?
    See Helmets section of this article.

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 1:22 pm |

[quote comment=”227848″]I heard a rumour about this guy, but without evidence I wouldn’t want to besmirch his good name…

SB[/quote]

this guy?

“that bong is so dope…wait…what was i talking about?”

• KT | February 19, 2008 at 1:27 pm |

[quote comment=”227845″]South Dakota State University unveils new logo.[/quote]

“…Come nay further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth!”

• Chance | February 19, 2008 at 1:27 pm |

[quote comment=”227850″]I think we all know that MLB base coaches will be wearing helmets next year. I just read that they will have the choice of ear flaps, or no flaps.
    See Helmets section of this article.[/quote]

Yeah, we talked about that when it was first announced.

MLB’s hysterical over-reaction to a non-existent problem.

• Draft Dodger | February 19, 2008 at 1:28 pm |

[quote comment=”227789″]
    Other recollections of NHL O-6 in the movies???[/quote]

John Candy in summer rental

• Draft Dodger | February 19, 2008 at 1:30 pm |

uh, now with an actual link…
    John Candy

• KT | February 19, 2008 at 1:30 pm |

[quote comment=”227853″]MLB’s hysterical over-reaction to a non-existent problem.[/quote]

That’s what they all said right up until August 17, 1920.

• Steve Prudente | February 19, 2008 at 1:32 pm |

I used to go to school at York College, and one of the teams in our conference (Capital athletic conference) was Gallaudet, who I remember seeing an old picture of a few days ago. Their entire school is deaf, and they still participate regularly in normal division III athletics.

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 1:32 pm |

[quote]MLB’s hysterical over-reaction to a non-existent problem.[/quote]

…3…2…1

• Shaftman | February 19, 2008 at 1:35 pm |

That’s what they all said right up until August 17, 1920.

• KT | February 19, 2008 at 1:38 pm |

Okay, this is too strange. I’m getting the hell out of here, stat!

• Mike | February 19, 2008 at 1:38 pm |

Do most football players look way down on the AFL, or do they look at it as another option if they can’t make it into the NFL. I was in the Orlando airport a year or so ago and the whole Dallas team was there to board their commercial filght back home.

• Shaftman | February 19, 2008 at 1:40 pm |

• tohodges | February 19, 2008 at 1:40 pm |

Anyone know this already?

• Kenny | February 19, 2008 at 1:45 pm |

Under Armor indeed[/quote]

X marks the spot[/quote]

The U and A are interlocking, not an X.[/quote]

• Johnny O | February 19, 2008 at 1:45 pm |

On a side note… if you are in the Badger State or the Aloha State, please go vote today no matter who your choice is. Every vote counts.

• Rick White in Cedar Park, TX | February 19, 2008 at 1:46 pm |

Anyone know this already?[/quote]

• Kenny | February 19, 2008 at 1:48 pm |

Never mind, found it![/quote]

And now since you pissed me off…Read the entry, it’s right there for you

• Mike | February 19, 2008 at 1:48 pm |
  • tohodges | February 19, 2008 at 1:49 pm |

[quote comment=”227872″][quote comment=”227868″]So with J-Kidd officially becoming a Mav, what are they going to do about his number situation? J-Ho already wears number 5. Does he give up the number or does J-Kidd go back to wearing 32 like in his Suns days?

Anyone know this already?[/quote]

And what number, if any, will Van Horn be assigned? Will he really play after sitting out 2 years? The NBA’s trade rules are strange and convoluted. But, entertaining.[/quote]

Van Horn should go back to his 44 that he was when the Nets drafted him. But he’s never going to see the floor so it doesn’t matter

• Rick White in Cedar Park, TX | February 19, 2008 at 1:49 pm |

[quote comment=”227865″]Interesting pictures from some Arena Football spring training. The first picture shows the new helmets a couple of NFL guys used last year. Also interesting to see the Arena guys practicing outside.

I’m guessing outside practices because it is harder to get time in the arena. Plus the time it takes to set up the arena for football pitted against the other events in the arena.

Those helmets look like an evolutionary step between today and the ‘helmet of the future’ that we talked about previously.

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 1:51 pm |

[quote comment=”227876″][quote comment=”227869″][quote comment=”227822″][quote comment=”227794″][quote comment=”227776″]As far as branding goes, isn’t this a bit much…?

Under Armor indeed[/quote]

X marks the spot[/quote]

The U and A are interlocking, not an X.[/quote]

No shit, i don’t live under a rock…but it kinda looks like an X and it was a damn joke[/quote]

Actually, it DOES look like an X..and I do not live under a rock either.[/quote]

just closing the tags…carry on

• KT | February 19, 2008 at 1:51 pm |

It’s not strange at all. I used your quote and added the picture in case some people did not understand the date as the reference.[/quote]

Ah, okay. I thought you had the exact same brainstorm I did.

See, I wanted them to actually do the work themselves if they didn’t know. Subtlety. Mike Coolbaugh would have been an easy reference, but Ray Chapman required a little bit more.

Every safety invention ever in sports, I think, was surrounded by the “how unnecessary is that?” thing. From batters helmets to hockey goalie masks to the Steve Yeager throat guard thing. It’s only unnecessary until someone needs it.

• Shaftman | February 19, 2008 at 2:00 pm |

[quote comment=”227881″][quote comment=”227867″][quote comment=”227864″]Okay, this is too strange. I’m getting the hell out of here, stat![/quote]

Ah, okay. I thought you had the exact same brainstorm I did.

You’re not even going to notice base coaches wearing helmets after about two weeks. And about ten years from now, someone will say “Hey, they didn’t always wear helmets, did they?”[/quote]

I agree with you. I also look at the risk to reward ratio. It’s not that big of a deal to wear the helmet and who knows when it might come into play. I understand that there are people that feel a helmet would not have even helped Coolbaugh and I’m not going to say that you are right or wrong, but might wearing the helmet help a coach in the future? I know that I would wear one, mandated or not.

• Neil | February 19, 2008 at 2:00 pm |

[quote comment=”227855″][quote comment=”227789″]
    Other recollections of NHL O-6 in the movies???[/quote]

John Candy in summer rental
    [/quote]

Joey Lauren Adams in “Chasing Amy” wearing a Leafs Felix Potvin jersey.

• Chance | February 19, 2008 at 2:02 pm |

[quote comment=”227863″][quote comment=”227857″]MLB’s hysterical over-reaction to a non-existent problem.[/quote]

That’s what they all said right up until August 17, 1920.[/quote]

Ray Chapman was a base coach?

• Shaftman | February 19, 2008 at 2:06 pm |
  • Chance | February 19, 2008 at 2:06 pm |

[/quote]

Who’s died? No helmet would have saved Mike Coolbaugh, who was struck in the neck.

• Chance | February 19, 2008 at 2:08 pm |

[quote comment=”227889″]Original Six jersey in “Mystery, Alaska”[/quote]

Those brown Mystery sweaters were gorgeous.

• Neil | February 19, 2008 at 2:08 pm |

Mike Bossy of the Islanders was a known smoker. The fourth paragraph from the bottom from his Hockey Hall of Fame page mentions it. No photos.

• Jerico | February 19, 2008 at 2:09 pm |

Marlins manager Jack McKeon skippered the team to the World Series title with a stogey almost regularly in his mouth.

In a past issue of Sports Illustrated, there’s also a great picture of Sparky Anderson filling out his lineup card while he’s smoking a pipe.

• Jim | February 19, 2008 at 2:10 pm |

Blackhawks uniforms
    Wayne’s World 2

Clark Griswold // Natonal Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

Red Wings
    Gordie Howe // Ferris Buller’s Day Off

Other recollections of NHL O-6 in the movies???[/quote]

Blackhawks played the Pens in Sudden Death if I am not mistaken.[/quote]
    The charecter Doug in Cutting Edge had a Hull Hawks Jersey

The movie The Rocket had some nice views of original 6 teams too as it is the story of Henri Richard. Kinda weird watching a French movie with English dubbing though[/quote]

• Joe Drennan | February 19, 2008 at 2:13 pm |

With all the talk of the deaf playing sports, how abotu this one posted on CNN – Blind vet learns to ski.

• Shaftman | February 19, 2008 at 2:14 pm |

[quote comment=”227890″][quote comment=”227881″]And how many guys have to die? How many kids have to end up fatherless? Is one too few but two too many?
    [/quote]

That’s why this is an hysterical over-reaction: it makes good copy, it makes people feel better, but it doesn’t actually address a real problem. Empty window dressing.[/quote]

As I said above, I’m not going to agree or disagree that a Helmet would have saved Coolbaugh, but if we have the technology to help make someone safer and that technology is not too intrusive then what is the harm when the reward COULD BE great?

This is non intrusive. (I support wearing this on the field)

This would be the opposite. (This would be going overboard.)

• Mets/Jets Fan in Chicagoland | February 19, 2008 at 2:19 pm |

[quote comment=”227835″]any chance for a UW petition to get this guy to WEAR HIS CAP properly?[/quote]
    Good luck! Maybe when he’s pitching for the Dodgers in a couple of years

• hillary clinton | February 19, 2008 at 2:21 pm |

[quote comment=”227846″][quote]I’ve done my civic duty today and voted against the black.[/quote]

Me too.[/quote]

Thank You America!

• AL | February 19, 2008 at 2:28 pm |

I’ve heard that about Viggo… how is routinely took the piss on the set full of Torontonians.

But we all know where Viggo’s heart truly lies.

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 2:33 pm |

ok…so it’s not a original six…but it is pure gold

/classic gretz la la sweater

• AL | February 19, 2008 at 2:38 pm |
  • Pat | February 19, 2008 at 2:38 pm |

[/quote]

Over reaction… maybe. But, hysterical, or stupid (as you insinuated)… no. What’s wrong with a little preventative maintenance… or preventative protection in this case. I’ve been playing baseball for many years, but have never been hit in the nuts… yet I wear a cup. Seems kind of stupid to to NOT wear a helmet. The base coach is not always looking at the batter and won’t have reaction time like a pitcher, baseman, or base runner will. This means they will have much less reaction time. Why not wear a helmet?

We all know that Coolbaugh may have lived without a helmet since he got hit in the neck, but what happens in the future if someone does die from a baseball to the head? People will be asking why they hadn’t been wearing helmets all along.

Seems like an insignificant detail that won’t affect the game negatively at all and has a chance to affect it positively by protecting lives.

I don’t understand what the argument against it could possibly be.

• assgrabber | February 19, 2008 at 2:43 pm |

Is this some sort of new Maple Leafs uniform?

• Chance | February 19, 2008 at 2:45 pm |

• Casey | February 19, 2008 at 2:46 pm |

Stripes! Check out the new (this season) warmup pants worn by the Tennessee men’s basketball team…this is old news but they’ve just recently been for sale to the general public.

• Mark Mihalik | February 19, 2008 at 2:47 pm |

[quote comment=”227812″][quote comment=”227759″][quote comment=”227751″]If you look closely at the link in post #16, it appears the catcher is wearing an Under Armour mask as well. Makes sense, if UA is making chest protectors, they probably are doing masks and shin guards as well.

[quote]Any idea what is written on the lowest part of the mask?

Is Under Armour the mother company for All-Star or Vice-Versa b/c that catcher’s gear is the same gear that All-Star sells, except the logos. Take a look at TEK from last year.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

I thought that too, but I looked into it and All Star is apparently part of Ampac Enterprises, which has no relation whatsoever to Under Armour. It does look exactly the same though, from the arrangement of the chest pads even down to the binding on the shoulders. What I’m really interested in seeing is the back of that chest protector… if it has the weird triangle look of the All Star ones, then it really will seem like a rip.

In other spring training news, Miguel Tejada might be giving us a reason to forgive him for his Mitchell Report appearance… check out the pants.

• MPowers1634 | February 19, 2008 at 2:48 pm |

[quote comment=”227842″][quote comment=”227833″]Wasn’t there an SI cover of a baseball player smoking, I’m too young to remember his name, I think it was Dick Allen. I think someone posted a pic of him with the A’s the other day with Sachem, the name of his high school, as his nameplate.

Never mind, found it![/quote]
    Hmmm. Wherever did you find it? :^J[/quote]

I have in fact, committed the number one cardinal sin of Uni-Watch and not read through the opening entirely. Shame on me, but please pardon me for I am home this week at the beckon call of my bosswife and do not possess the time necessary for such behaviors. Next week, when I am back at work ,with time aplenty, I will atone for my sins.

P.S. Sorry about the Under Armour thing, again I assumed that I was being helpful!

• u2horn | February 19, 2008 at 2:51 pm |

Anyone know this already?[/quote]

Get yours now at the Mavs’ online store

• u2horn | February 19, 2008 at 2:52 pm |

Brandon Bass wears 32 for the Mavs, btw.

• MPowers1634 | February 19, 2008 at 2:54 pm |

[quote comment=”227885″][quote comment=”227855″][quote comment=”227789″]
    Other recollections of NHL O-6 in the movies???[/quote]

John Candy in summer rental
    [/quote]

Joey Lauren Adams in “Chasing Amy” wearing a Leafs Felix Potvin jersey.

Also, word is that Viggo Mortensen would often show up on the Toronto set of A “History Of Violence” wearing a Habs jersey.[/quote]

“Chasing Amy” in my mind, the bst of the Kevin Smith films. However, in another of his, “Dogma”, I believe there are evil, hockey playing minions who don Hockey sweaters, are any of them Original SIx?

• KW | February 19, 2008 at 2:55 pm |

quote] Any idea what is written on the lowest part of the mask?[/quote]

All Star has been having some financial problems the past few years and Under Armour has wanted to enter the protective business…wouldnt surprise me if UA sub-contracted AS out to make their gear this year….you would think that they would do something (anything) to change it up a little though

• assgrabber | February 19, 2008 at 2:59 pm |

Dale Jr’s Adidas gloves are clearely seen in this ad:

You tube warning.

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 3:00 pm |

[quote comment=”227918″]Is this some sort of new Maple Leafs uniform?

cousin?

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 3:04 pm |
  • Kerry P | February 19, 2008 at 3:08 pm |

[quote comment=”227845″]South Dakota State University unveils new logo.[/quote]
    All-in-all, I like it. I remember the concepts that they were letting people vote on. This is exponentially better than any of those choices. It looks good…very good.

• Pat | February 19, 2008 at 3:09 pm |

Why not make every single spectator wear a protective helmet? Surely they’re in greater danger than base coaches – a greater number of fans have been hit by bats and balls.[/quote]

This may be the dumbest argument against base coaches wearing helmets and I’ve heard it from several people. Are you going to tell me that since it hasn’t happened before it will never happen in the future?

How many people thought face masks were dumb when they were first used in a football game? Now we know that they prevent a lot of injuries. How many people fought against batting helmets. Now imagine in players were not wearing helmets when they stepped into the box. I can’t imagine what would happen to all the players that are plunked in the head.

What about the net behind the plate?

Sometimes you need to add something whether there has been an incident or not. Sometimes just a scare of an incident (like with Coolbaugh) can trigger the reaction to start preventing future problems. What would Juan Encarnacion be doing right now if it weren’t for the helmet he was wearing in the on deck circle? Nobody knows because he WAS wearing the helmet. But, there is proof that helmets can protect you if you do get hit. So why NOT wear one.

• Pat | February 19, 2008 at 3:13 pm |

What about the net behind the plate?

Also, since the base coach is under contract with a team and thus MLB in general the powers that be can make a rule saying that they have to wear a helmet. You can’t make a rule saying that people that are paying to go to a baseball game have to wear a helmet…. so there goes that theory too.[/quote]

• Tim | February 19, 2008 at 3:13 pm |

I don’t have photos but Adam Morrison of the Charolette Bobcats is a smoker AND he chews tobacco.

Near the bottom of the page.

• Kenny | February 19, 2008 at 3:14 pm |

[quote comment=”227915″]ok…so it’s not a original six…but it is pure gold

/classic gretz la la sweater[/quote]

So who’s idea do you think it is when Vince Vaughn plays sports video games in his movies? He played Madden in The Break-Up

• Mike | February 19, 2008 at 3:18 pm |

Looks like Nyger Morgan is sporting his stirrups again this year!

Nice!

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 3:22 pm |

i’m not going to rehash all the helmets-on-coaches arguments, since i already said my piece way back when…

i simply want to say this

has a base coach ever…EVER…been prevented from wearing a helmet?

didn’t think so

see…the argument is akin to seatbelts (although i recall catching shit for that analogy)…i want them in my car, but it’s MY CHOICE not to use them…we are not prohibiting coaches (and never have) from wearing helmets…it should be their choice to wear them

…and after i said this i got hammered with comments such as “people are stupid…and athletes are especially stupid” (to justify the MANDATORY wearing of the helmets)

there is, i guess, no gray area with this…either you favor the MANDATORY use of helmets for coaches or you don’t…but NO ONE is arguing that coaches shouldn’t be ALLOWED to wear one…only that it be made mandatory

/done

• Mark Mihalik | February 19, 2008 at 3:29 pm |

Entertaining little story from the Boston Herald:

[quote]Two members of the Red Sox outfield made appearances, with center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury swinging by the complex to drop his things off in the morning… When Ellsbury went to organize his things in his locker, he was presented with a subtle reminder that he still maintains rookie status despite his late-season success in 2007. The glove left by Rawlings with his name on it was for the wrong hand. Ironically, it was the second time the outfielder has been given a personalized glove for a right-handed-throwing fielder instead of the left-handed model he uses… Needless to say, the mistake didn’t go unnoticed. A group of players including Schilling, Tim Wakefield and Doug Mirabelli took the opportunity to give some good-natured ribbing to well-respected Rawlings representative Steve Cohen.[/quote]

From this page.

• AL | February 19, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  • AL | February 19, 2008 at 3:30 pm |
  • Kerry P | February 19, 2008 at 3:31 pm |

[quote comment=”227894″]Also I think it was in Mighty Ducks 2 or the first that they got to meet the Minnesota North Stars…… Oscar winning material by Mike Modono if I say so myself…… God I hate thise movies.[/quote]
    It was in the first Mighty Ducks movie that they met Basil McCrae & Mike Modano. They were in the area as a treat from their coach, Gordon Bombay (Emilio Esteves)for making the playoffs.

D2: The Mighty Ducks is when the team travels to LA to compete in an international competition like the Junior Olympics.

God I LOVE those movies.

• Ian | February 19, 2008 at 3:34 pm |
  • Chance | February 19, 2008 at 3:39 pm |

Well put.

• Chance | February 19, 2008 at 3:40 pm |

Sorry, didn’t include the quote.

LI Phil, well put. that’s wxactly what I’m talking about.

• Ben Wideman | February 19, 2008 at 3:46 pm |

hope no one has already posted this here. Blue Jay Catcher Gregg Zaun has a ball being hit out of the Rogers Centre on the back of his mask.

• Mike | February 19, 2008 at 3:47 pm |

Looks like Gagne is forgoing the BP hat. Doesn’t he usually go without?

PS-I love Spring Training if for nothing else, a slew of these types of action photos.

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 3:48 pm |

[quote comment=”227954″]Sorry, didn’t include the quote.

LI Phil, well put. that’s wxactly what I’m talking about.[/quote]

thanks…i seem to recall you and i were one of the few who agreed on the mandatory wearing of helmets…and how it was really a non-issue

here

• Breezy | February 19, 2008 at 3:52 pm |

Dodgers going BPless the other day as well…with full uniforms…..odd

• Banker Bill | February 19, 2008 at 3:52 pm |

U.L. Washington of the KC Royals used to ALWAYS have a toothpick in his mouth.

• Walaitis | February 19, 2008 at 4:01 pm |

COACHES HELMETS

What do you honestly think is more likely to happen in the next 10 years: A) A first- or third-base coach being killed by a line drive, or B) A terrorist attack at a professional sporting event?

If your answer is B, and you still think coaches should have helmets (because of the “what if” factor) then you must believe that all professional sporting events should be televised without any spectators in the stands.

Just in case.

• joe | February 19, 2008 at 4:09 pm |

Under Armor indeed[/quote]

X marks the spot[/quote]

The U and A are interlocking, not an X.[/quote]

thats well understood, but its makes an X like sape, hence, X marks the spot.

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 4:13 pm |
  • Chance | February 19, 2008 at 4:16 pm |

[quote comment=”227985″]shouldn’t the caption read “steinhitler” field now?[/quote]

Yawn. You lose.

• Costa | February 19, 2008 at 4:20 pm |

Somebody might have linked this already, but the Kissing Suzy Kolber blog posted this hilarious NFL promotional commercial, and Deadspin linked it too. I don’t know if it’s simply a huge coincidence or one blog influenced the other. It’s a fun clip with a whole bunch of fun cartoon depictions of football mascots and old tobacco ad clichés.

• Banker Bill | February 19, 2008 at 4:20 pm |

[quote comment=”227894″][quote comment=”227797″][quote comment=”227795″][quote comment=”227789″]Original Six uniforms on the big screen?

Blackhawks uniforms
    Wayne’s World 2

Clark Griswold // Natonal Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

Red Wings
    Gordie Howe // Ferris Buller’s Day Off

Other recollections of NHL O-6 in the movies???[/quote]

Blackhawks played the Pens in Sudden Death if I am not mistaken.[/quote]
    The charecter Doug in Cutting Edge had a Hull Hawks Jersey

The original Mighty Ducks – they met the North Stars – however – the North Stars are not Original 6.

• alex | February 19, 2008 at 4:21 pm |

Anyone know this already?[/quote]

I’m watching the news conference and kidd just received a number 2 jersey.

• joe | February 19, 2008 at 4:22 pm |

[quote comment=”227935″]

What about the net behind the plate?
    [/quote]
    football players get hit in the face routinely.

The fans in the front row at most stadiums are closer than the base coaches. The fans are turning away form the action to talk to each other and get the vendors attention. Unless the base coaches start to do those things they should be able to pay attention to where the ball is.

• joe | February 19, 2008 at 4:24 pm |

What about the net behind the plate?

Oh and don’t you think the parents of the girl who was killed when a puck hit her in the face wish the NHL had thought to put nets behind the glass a few years earlier? People probably would have said there was no reason to put nets up there since no one had been hit and died before.[/quote]

• ryan c #40 | February 19, 2008 at 4:28 pm |

Other recollections of NHL O-6 in the movies???

John Candy in summer rental

Joey Lauren Adams in “Chasing Amy” wearing a Leafs Felix Potvin jersey.

• Shaftman | February 19, 2008 at 4:32 pm |

[quote comment=”227996″][quote comment=”227936″][quote comment=”227935″][quote comment=”227919″]The argument against it is simple – there isn’t the slightest documented need. It’s empty-headed, fuzzy, feel-good nonsense.

What about the net behind the plate?

Maybe, just maybe they should have been paying attention to the game and would have seen the puck coming. Back in ’94 at the old Chicago stadium I caught a puck that came into the stands, why, because I was following the action and saw it coming.[/quote]

I was at an Islander’s game in the late 80’s or early 90’s before they had glass covering the penalty boxes and announcing area. At this game a puck flew into the announcers head and to this day I can remember him bleeding all over his suit and the ice as they walked him to the dressing room. Do you think he wasn’t paying attention? Later in the year that whole area was covered with glass and there was only a small hole for pucks to be slid through.

Now I’m going to reiterate what I said before…

This is non intrusive. (I support wearing this on the field)

This would be the opposite. (This would be going overboard.)

• alex | February 19, 2008 at 4:35 pm |

Anyone know this already?[/quote]

I’m watching the news conference and kidd just received a number 2 jersey.[/quote]

Someone just asked why he chose 2. Well…
    1. It’s his second time around in Dallas.
    2. A 2 upside down, kinda looks like a 5.

• mike | February 19, 2008 at 4:39 pm |

A few weeks back I was at a Caps game here in DC and a puck left the ice on a rope and woman took it in the head. Lots of blood, but she looked to be ok. She was not paying attention and the net did nothing to stop the puck. Last game I was at a puck flipped up and over the net and fell onto the head of a guy right in front me. the puck split his head wide open…LOTS of blood. Moral of the story….pay attention, the net only does so much. Base coaches…pay attention, wear the helmet if you want.

• Judd | February 19, 2008 at 4:41 pm |

[quote comment=”227962″][quote comment=”227761″]I know this has nothing to do with the smoking, but I remember watching one of the Reds’ World Series from ’75 or ’76 on ESPN Classic and one of the Reds players (can’t remember who) was chewing on a toothpick while he was up to bat.

U.L. Washington of the KC Royals used to ALWAYS have a toothpick in his mouth.[/quote]

Ditto Dusty Baker with the toothpick.

• todd krevanchi | February 19, 2008 at 4:50 pm |

uni watch blog dot com
    …better makins’

• Marty Met | February 19, 2008 at 4:51 pm |

[quote comment=”227997″]Other recollections of NHL O-6 in the movies???

John Candy in summer rental

Joey Lauren Adams in “Chasing Amy” wearing a Leafs Felix Potvin jersey.

there HAS to be someone wearing an O-6 jersey on the rooftop hockey scene in clerks! i know the pens are well represented![/quote]

Not O6 but David Putty in his Devils sweater and makeup is priceless

• breezy | February 19, 2008 at 4:51 pm |
  • LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 4:53 pm |
  • KW | February 19, 2008 at 4:54 pm |

[quote comment=”228010″]interesting glove[/quote]

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 4:57 pm |

[quote comment=”228012″][quote comment=”228010″]interesting glove[/quote]
    The glove forces the player to receive the ball rather then “catching” it…the fielder has to use his throwing hand and give with the ball.[/quote]

wouldn’t that be a “mitt”?

• breezy | February 19, 2008 at 5:00 pm |

wouldn’t that be a “mitt”?[/quote]

This is a mitt

• callmejoe | February 19, 2008 at 5:07 pm |

[quote comment=”227763″]Dale Jr. has a Redskin’s logo on his glasses?

Looks like a Chevy logo to me.

You would not be far off…

TOG, just wanted some extra info about the Redskins black alternate uni’s. As a big ‘Skins fan I hadn’t come across this before. Anyone?

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 5:09 pm |

[quote comment=”228015″][quote comment=”228014″][quote comment=”228012″][quote comment=”228010″]interesting glove[/quote]

wouldn’t that be a “mitt”?[/quote]

This is a mitt[/quote]

lol

what the fuck is this?

/other than the dashed hopes of a commonwealth

• Bob H | February 19, 2008 at 5:59 pm |

Hugo Sanchez – past Mexican soccer hero and current National Team manager – is notorious for his tight jeans and smokes on the sideline during the game. I wondered what would happen if he lit up during a game in the non-smoking buildings of the USA but have yet to see him do it.

• Steve | February 19, 2008 at 6:05 pm |

YO — Was anyone else watching SportsCenter at the beginning? Did you see how Robert Flores looked like a freaking HOBIT next to Josh Elliot??? Any information on how big Elliot is?? He looks 6’10” next to Flores. But it wasn’t just the height…Flores looked like he won a contest to be on the show as a 3rd grader….high comedy

• Ian K | February 19, 2008 at 6:49 pm |

[quote comment=”227734″]there is a difference between cigar smokers.

the event cigar smoker. the guy who smokes at events. golf, race track, etc.

the celebration cigar smoker.

one man who was all 3 at once was larry laoretti. winner of the 1992 us senior open.[/quote]

What about the guy who just chews on a cut cigar and never lights it?

• Pretty Boy Paulie | February 19, 2008 at 6:49 pm |

If Leyland grows out his ‘stache a little bit more and replaces that square with a Pipe….he would be the most distinguished Manager in all of baseball!

Just picture it.

• Mike Engle | February 19, 2008 at 7:15 pm |

[quote comment=”228043″][quote comment=”227734″]there is a difference between cigar smokers.

the event cigar smoker. the guy who smokes at events. golf, race track, etc.

the celebration cigar smoker.

What about the guy who just chews on a cut cigar and never lights it?[/quote]
    There is poker player Sam Farha (Chris Moneymaker’s bridesmaid in the Main Event, IIRC), who goes through unlit cigarettes for good luck. He doesn’t smoke, and WSOP events are non-smoking, but he will literally have a cigarette dangling from his mouth for good luck.

• MPowers1634 | February 19, 2008 at 7:16 pm |

[quote comment=”228011″]hope he’s wearing UA[/quote]

Lets hope there is no x marking that spot!

• James Craven | February 19, 2008 at 8:14 pm |

[quote comment=”227918″]“Is this some sort of new Maple Leafs uniform?”[/quote]

Someone, likely an O-6 anti-Leaf fan (or a Canadiens or Sens fan), posted that on the Cramer boards ages ago as a joke. The man in question has a collection of Peter Pan costumes, and before you go out there and say he’s a switch-hitter (and no, not of the baseball variety), he’s getting married soon to a gal who dresses as Tinker Bell.

• James Craven | February 19, 2008 at 8:17 pm |

The website of that guy in the “new Maple leafs uniform:”

• BA | February 19, 2008 at 8:47 pm |

Check out Fidel Castro in come old school baseball shots.

Apparently he liked the shirts high and tight too!!

• Jordan | February 19, 2008 at 8:55 pm |

Here’s the old logo…

• Matt | February 19, 2008 at 9:17 pm |

Bobby Cox has been known to smoke a pre-game cigar or two

• Rene | February 19, 2008 at 9:25 pm |

WHO SAYS THERE’S NOTHING GOOD ABOUT COMMUNISM??!!!

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 9:28 pm |

[quote comment=”228066″]Check out Fidel Castro in come old school baseball shots.

Apparently he liked the shirts high and tight too!![/quote]
    [quote comment=”228077″]WHO SAYS THERE’S NOTHING GOOD ABOUT COMMUNISM??!!!

FAIL!

stirrups are backwards

• Matt | February 19, 2008 at 9:41 pm |

[quote comment=”228068″]South Dakota State University (my alma mater) has unvelied their new logo(s) for the Jackrabbits. Very disappionted as they went for the pissed off look rather than the happy go lucky rabbit.

Here’s the old logo…

I went to SDSU as well. While I was upset they were going to change the logo and had seen the one they decided to go with it isn’t that bad. Some getting to. I do wish they would change to navy from royal blue though.

• Erkki C | February 19, 2008 at 9:42 pm |

Thought you might like this one, Paul.

• Blake | February 19, 2008 at 9:43 pm |

looks like the Rangers are considering going back to red uniforms.

Rangers

• Joey Guns | February 19, 2008 at 10:07 pm |

[quote comment=”228082″]looks like the Rangers are considering going back to red uniforms.

Rangers[/quote]

The Rangers are effing killing me! They were up 5-0 and now it’s 5-5 in overtime! WTF???

• Joey Guns | February 19, 2008 at 10:07 pm |

The New York Rangers are effing killing me! They were up 5-0 and now it’s 5-5 in overtime! WTF???

• Rick | February 19, 2008 at 10:11 pm |
  • Reg Hartner | February 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm |

[quote comment=”228000″][quote comment=”227994″][quote comment=”227868″]So with J-Kidd officially becoming a Mav, what are they going to do about his number situation? J-Ho already wears number 5. Does he give up the number or does J-Kidd go back to wearing 32 like in his Suns days?

Anyone know this already?[/quote]

Someone just asked why he chose 2. Well…
    1. It’s his second time around in Dallas.
    2. A 2 upside down, kinda looks like a 5.[/quote]
    Or he’s always so full of shit.

Love my wife (and then beat her).

• Bob H | February 19, 2008 at 10:20 pm |

[quote comment=”228087″]Nice socks:

The ditz in the middle must have lost her phone.

• =bg= | February 19, 2008 at 10:20 pm |

[quote comment=”227701″]dick trickle used to smoke in his car during nascar caution laps (back in the day. google “dick trickle smoking”. couldn’t find pictures).

phil? anything on either???[/quote]

Ah, Dick Trickle. The times when the Sportscenter guys used to crack up on that name…

• Tim Abel | February 19, 2008 at 10:23 pm |

blues wearing whites at home tonight, blackhawks in red

• The Gipper's Ghost | February 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm |

[quote comment=”228077″]WHO SAYS THERE’S NOTHING GOOD ABOUT COMMUNISM??!!!
    I do !
    Tear down this island wall MR Castro.

• LI Phil | February 19, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  • Mike Engle | February 19, 2008 at 11:59 pm |

Number News: It looks like Houston’s new shortstop will keep #10. Miguel Tejada wore #4 with the Oakland Athletics, but changed to #10 with the Baltimore Orioles because #4 is retired there (for Earl Weaver). He was also #10 for the Dominican WBC team. I, for one, thought he really prefered #4 and would go back to that number, but apparently, his more recent number prevailed.

• Sports Jerseys | February 27, 2008 at 7:41 am |

I even know that a few sports players today smoke – I figure there’s a cultural reason behind it. But it should be controlled

• joe | March 3, 2008 at 5:14 am |