A Reason To Like The Tigers

Tigers Spring Baseball

Disregard, for a moment, Dontrelle Willis’ crooked cap and Joel Zumaya’s questionable display of facial hair and take a look at the unis.

Note also it’s still spring training. And now sigh longingly. A team wearing its home uniform during early spring training, instead of those insipid BP jerseys and caps. Ahhhh … nice. (Even though the jerseys are Cool Base). Contrast that with what Jesse Crain of the Twins wore on Friday. Now, shake your head in a disapproving manner and go back to Willis and Zumaya.

Whew. Sunday is saved. — Bryan

162 comments to A Reason To Like The Tigers

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 7:11 am |

it almost reminds me of a classic line from ‘heartbreak ridge’

[quote]. You boys are handsome. You ladies look like models. In fact I want your hair high and tight by tomorrow morning. When you start looking like Marines you’ll start feeling like Marines and then, Goddamn it, you’ll start acting like Marines.[/quote]

you start looking like baseball players you’ll start feeling like baseball players and then, goddamit, you’ll start acting like baseball players

kudos to leyland…FEAR los tigres this year

• Stuby | February 17, 2008 at 7:58 am |

Lovin’ these early morning weekend entries. Going out for a ride, Bryan?

Looks like Zumaya won the Immunity Challenge with that necklace.

• HellOnWaffles | February 17, 2008 at 8:01 am |

It’s also worth noting that the Tigers do this typically every year.

• Chris in Nashville | February 17, 2008 at 8:23 am |
  • MPowers1634 | February 17, 2008 at 8:36 am |

[quote comment=”226546″]Superman

Mr. Bean

• ID | February 17, 2008 at 8:38 am |

The following article is in today’s Toronto Star:

“Is this the NHL’s new look

• Sage Confucius | February 17, 2008 at 9:00 am |

[quote comment=”226554″]The following article is in today’s Toronto Star:

“Is this the NHL’s new look

[/quote]

I’m pretty sure this development would stop me from watching hockey. I’d rather be a walking billboard to raise money for a team than have to watch that crap on the ice.

• bettendor | February 17, 2008 at 9:05 am |

[quote comment=”226554″]The following article is in today’s Toronto Star:

“Is this the NHL’s new look

[/quote]

The article says it will raise about $30 million a year in revenue.

Perhaps, but is that enough for selling your soul, NHL?

Then again, do you have one left?

• Stuby | February 17, 2008 at 9:33 am |

[/quote]
    A back-handed compliment if ever there was one.

• Mike Engle | February 17, 2008 at 9:48 am |

• Matt Dub | February 17, 2008 at 9:50 am |

So I was on overstock.com trying to find a good deal on a HDTV and I started clicking around in the sporting goods just to see what they had, and to my surprise, one can buy game used Yankees pants. Granted they are mostly from relief pitchers and back-up catchers (hello, Sal Fasano and Kelly Stinnett), but I just thought that it was kind of odd.

• Matt Dub | February 17, 2008 at 9:51 am |

Damn forgot the link

• Stuby | February 17, 2008 at 9:56 am |

[quote comment=”226582″]Speaking of Tigers uniforms, what numbers do the new guys have? Something tells me Verlander didn’t sell #35 to Willis…[/quote]
    The roster says Willis took #21 (last worn by Sean Casey?) and Cabrera got his standard #24 – don’t know if anyone had that # last year or not.

• subway | February 17, 2008 at 10:07 am |

Ah yes, the Tigers.

Before the green dot and the yellow C, there was Kenny Rogers’ cap.
    Good times, good times.

• tmac3217 | February 17, 2008 at 10:30 am |

Not sure what would make Crain wear that, but in his defense, the Twins don’t officially report until today…

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 10:36 am |

[quote comment=”226554″]The following article is in today’s Toronto Star:

“Is this the NHL’s new look

Some of the league’s top players and influential figures want the league to start selling advertising space on goalies’ jerseys.”[/quote]

leading down the inevitable and extremely slippery slope to this

/just sayin

• John in Athens | February 17, 2008 at 10:40 am |

Yep, the Tigers look good and Crain doesn’t but I think Iverson said it best:

“It’s easy to sum it up if you’re just talking about practice. We’re sitting here and we’re talking about practice. I mean listen, we’re sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we’re talking about practice. How silly is that? I know it’s important, I honestly do but we’re talking about practice. We’re talking about practice man. We’re talking about practice. We’re talking about practice. We’re not talking about the game. We’re talking about practice. Hey I hear you, it’s funny to me too, hey it’s strange to me too but we’re talking about practice man, we’re not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we’re talking about practice.”

(Edited for relevance)

• Ryan | February 17, 2008 at 10:48 am |

Oregon got into the system of dress

• Walker | February 17, 2008 at 10:54 am |

Dear lord…is that the diamond plating?

• junkland | February 17, 2008 at 11:13 am |

[quote comment=”226546″]Superman

Did Howard throw down the ball through the hoops to impress people with his “flying” ability?

Or did he throw down the ball because he was too far away to reach the rim?

• Kevin M. | February 17, 2008 at 11:26 am |

[quote comment=”226614″][quote comment=”226546″]Superman

Or did he throw down the ball because he was too far away to reach the rim?[/quote]

• J | February 17, 2008 at 11:27 am |

[quote comment=”226614″][quote comment=”226546″]Superman

It doesn’t matter. It worked. Most guys would have not gotten the ball through the hoop if they threw it that hard.

Oh, my Tigers always look so nice. Top of the standings will look even nicer than the jerseys though.

• Bradley | February 17, 2008 at 11:29 am |

[quote comment=”226540″]Now this is a good open thread post. There’s been a ton of great pictures from the early spring training workouts, and the Tigers photos have been the most beautiful by far. Thank you, Bryan, for posting something worthwhile (and not something related to cycling, your personal life, or something that’s a poor attempt at being funny).[/quote]

True

• Bill T. | February 17, 2008 at 11:46 am |

“Is this the NHL’s new look

leading down the inevitable and extremely slippery slope to this

/just sayin[/quote]

Edmonton goalie Dwayne Roloson quotes: “They have (uniform ads) in Europe and it doesn’t take away from the true jersey look.”

Idiot.

• Juan Grande | February 17, 2008 at 11:48 am |

[quote comment=”226511″]it almost reminds me of a classic line from ‘heartbreak ridge’

kudos to leyland…FEAR los tigres this year[/quote]

You’re all lollygaggers! Lollygagging around!

• Mike Engle | February 17, 2008 at 11:50 am |

[quote comment=”226626″][quote comment=”226601″][quote comment=”226554″]The following article is in today’s Toronto Star:

“Is this the NHL’s new look

leading down the inevitable and extremely slippery slope to this

/just sayin[/quote]

Idiot.[/quote]
    Sorry, Rolo. You’re wrong. Look at Post #16. All those ads. Which one’s the crest? I can’t tell. But I do know that right now, on a Sunday morning, I absolutely do NOT want a beer right now, which makes that Kronenbourg 1664 ad even more annoying.

• Trevor K | February 17, 2008 at 11:55 am |

[quote comment=”226554″]The following article is in today’s Toronto Star:

“Is this the NHL’s new look

[/quote]

• Bob A | February 17, 2008 at 12:01 pm |

“Is this the NHL’s new look

leading down the inevitable and extremely slippery slope to this

/just sayin[/quote]
    Can you imagine all that crap on these? I’d have a hard time watching the NHL. Slippery slope indeed.

• Seth | February 17, 2008 at 12:02 pm |

there is hope. Go Giants

• Shawn Knowles | February 17, 2008 at 12:03 pm |

“Is this the NHL’s new look

[/quote]
    are Canadians this dumb? the caption says Brodeur is “sporting” one of the proposed jerseys, when its easy to tell that it has been photoshopped.[/quote]

Riiiiiiight, let’s question Canadian intelligence.

• john in DC | February 17, 2008 at 12:11 pm |

[quote comment=”226639″][quote comment=”226631″][quote comment=”226554″]The following article is in today’s Toronto Star:

“Is this the NHL’s new look

[/quote]

Riiiiiiight, let’s question Canadian intelligence.[/quote]

it would ONLY be on the goalies. it would make more sense if it goes on a part of the gear rather than the jersey.

• Johnny O | February 17, 2008 at 12:12 pm |

• Stuby | February 17, 2008 at 12:16 pm |

[quote comment=”226637″]there is hope. Go Giants[/quote]
    Man, that Giants 50th anniversary logo is freakin’ lame. Truly uninspired. And the damn ballpark is in the shadow of the Bay Bridge, you can sit in the stands and see the Bay Bridge, yet they put the Golden Gate Bridge on the patch? Dumb.

• MikeyB | February 17, 2008 at 12:17 pm |

[quote comment=”226606″]Dear lord…is that the diamond plating?[/quote]

They’re everywhere!

• buckeyebrain | February 17, 2008 at 12:20 pm |

Let me guess… your team wears black, purple and/or teal?

• Stuby | February 17, 2008 at 12:20 pm |

• Ken S. | February 17, 2008 at 12:33 pm |

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 12:40 pm |

Let me guess… your team wears black, purple and/or teal?[/quote]

i think his team(s) wear a)yellow and green and b) blue and white

one a classic and one…meh…but

certainly not this green and yellow

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 12:44 pm |

ok

• Mike Engle | February 17, 2008 at 12:53 pm |

[quote comment=”226667″][quote comment=”226639″]Riiiiiiight, let’s question Canadian intelligence.[/quote]

ok[/quote]
    No problem!
    {/sarcasm>

• VoodooChile | February 17, 2008 at 1:23 pm |

I can’t wait to see my Tigers get their pristine whites covered in pine tar, grass stains, and dirt.

• Duckfan | February 17, 2008 at 1:28 pm |

Dear lord…is that the diamond plating?

They’re everywhere!

• Robert | February 17, 2008 at 1:29 pm |

[quote comment=”226637″]there is hope. Go Giants[/quote]

Very good article as well.

• Johnny O | February 17, 2008 at 1:30 pm |

[quote comment=”226665″][quote comment=”226657″][quote comment=”226646″]I know I am gonna get yelled at for this, but I think the Tiger’s home whites are absolutely rancid. They are just too plain for me. I know, I know… they are classic, and you can’t go wrong with classic, but in my opinion I really don’t like them. I much prefer their road gray’s.[/quote]

Let me guess… your team wears black, purple and/or teal?[/quote]

i think his team(s) wear a)yellow and green and b) blue and white

one a classic and one…meh…but

certainly not this green and yellow[/quote]

You are right Phil. I am a Sconnie guy through and through. The Brewers are my team, and although I am not crazy about their current duds, my favorite design is their blue alts. If their road grays had “Milwaukee” on the chest, they would be awesome. (I know they have a “Milwaukee” patch on the sleeve, but that doesn’t count) But I don’t think many can argue about the Brewers Retro Friday uni’s. Those are amazing.

And at least I didn’t rip the Tigers completely. I gave them some love for their road grays

• HB | February 17, 2008 at 1:31 pm |

I went to Yale and we’ve dark unis at home in previous years, at least for the games I went to.

from the Yale-Harvard men’s game last year

• HB | February 17, 2008 at 1:32 pm |

*we’ve worn dark unis

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 1:33 pm |

[quote comment=”226679″]

Dear lord…is that the diamond plating?

They’re everywhere!

That isn’t diamond plating. The shorts had horizontal silver stripes on the leg while the green side panel on the jersey had what looked like a camouflage pattern.[/quote]

you can see the camo & striping pretty well in this pic

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 1:37 pm |

[quote]On a side note, my fiance gave me an autographed picture of Bob Uecker for Valentine’s Day. I think I picked a good one![/quote]

you picked a good uecker picture?

;)

j/k…congrats johnny!

• Mike Engle | February 17, 2008 at 1:38 pm |

[quote comment=”226684″][quote comment=”226663″]Leave it to the Ivy League to find a subtle way to be unlike everyone else. I’ve seen 5 or 6 Ivy basketball games on TV this season, and in every instance, the visiting team was wearing white, and the home team wore their dark unis, a la the NFL. This is beyond coincidence. Does anyone know if this is the new League policy this season?[/quote]

from the Yale-Harvard men’s game last year[/quote]
    Question for the font nerds:

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 1:42 pm |

Question for the font nerds:
    In this picture, the Harvard team has numbers that look like the original Montreal Expos. Does this font have a name?[/quote]

question for the cheerleader nerds…look at the one under the basket

does anyone know what the qualifications for cheerleader are?

• Stan aka the took | February 17, 2008 at 1:43 pm |

Is it really going to make you hate the sport that much and love the game you’ve love since a child and all that junk!? If it helps the teams and the league more good… what they should do is get rid of those teams in the weird cities like Phoenix or San Jose … Carolina can stay cause they were the Whalers who had the coolest jerseys.

• Dave S | February 17, 2008 at 1:52 pm |

[quote comment=”226654″][quote comment=”226606″]Dear lord…is that the diamond plating?[/quote]

They’re everywhere!

Let’s just thank God that Oregon doesn’t have a hockey team. Could you imagine that?[/quote]

Look, no diamond plating

• Joey K. | February 17, 2008 at 1:56 pm |

I love those Tiger unis. Classic!

• Me | February 17, 2008 at 2:01 pm |

Return the whale

• lwiedy | February 17, 2008 at 2:03 pm |

They should have used the same design firm that did the Dodgers’ 50th anniversary logo.[/quote]

• Tom | February 17, 2008 at 2:21 pm |

My alma mater, Dartmouth, appears to be sticking with white at home and green on the road:
    photos

• Stuby | February 17, 2008 at 2:43 pm |

What’s so great about the Dodgers logo? At least with SF I can tell it’s the Golden Gate Bridge. I honestly didn’t know if the Dodgers’ was for LA or spring training (as they have had more than one Spring Training commemorative logo in the past). Palm trees, that’s what LA’s best known for?[/quote]
    My point was the Giants logo is kind of blah for a 50th anniversary. Plus I was trying to stick up for the Bay Bridge, which has always been the bastard stepchild of bridges even though it is quite aesthetically pleasing (Eastern span only) AND right next to the ballpark. The GG bridge is kind of cliche.

• Stuby | February 17, 2008 at 2:46 pm |

Sorry, Western span of the Bay Bridge.

• Jack H. | February 17, 2008 at 3:04 pm |

Let’s also hope that D-Train keeps those socks high this season.

• Johnny O | February 17, 2008 at 3:07 pm |

Not uni-related, but I thought this article was an awesome read.

I didn’t think the Milwaukee Racing Sausages were that popular

• RaoulDuke | February 17, 2008 at 3:07 pm |

[quote comment=”226568″][quote comment=”226554″]The following article is in today’s Toronto Star:

“Is this the NHL’s new look

[/quote]

The article says it will raise about $30 million a year in revenue.

Perhaps, but is that enough for selling your soul, NHL?

Then again, do you have one left?[/quote]

Nah they sold that to reebok…on the upside its 9% faster.

• Mark in Shiga | February 17, 2008 at 3:08 pm |

• Tod H. | February 17, 2008 at 3:20 pm |

Question for the font nerds:

question for the cheerleader nerds…look at the one under the basket

does anyone know what the qualifications for cheerleader are?[/quote]

She has pom poms.

• Jack H. | February 17, 2008 at 3:23 pm |

Question for the font nerds:

question for the cheerleader nerds…look at the one under the basket

does anyone know what the qualifications for cheerleader are?[/quote]

All of the people behind the basket look so bored. I mean, Christ, this is Harvard-Yale! At least looook like you’d rather be there than at home translating Latin homework. (I go to a liberal arts school, these kinds of things really prevent people from attending sporting events…)

• MPowers1634 | February 17, 2008 at 3:33 pm |

I agree, and the way Willis is wearing it does not appeal to me, nothing to do with the cap by the way, cuz I wear mine a tad bit askew.

• MPowers1634 | February 17, 2008 at 3:38 pm |

from the Yale-Harvard men’s game last year[/quote]

I also spy New Balance running rampant in the Ivy League, no? Although my boys ar Princeton wear Nike, I believe.

• MPowers1634 | February 17, 2008 at 3:42 pm |

Yale is also Nike school, I was momentarily distracted by the anti-songitl cheerleaders.

• kgolrick | February 17, 2008 at 3:48 pm |

Figured I would mention that Drexel’s Mens lax is wearing green shoelaces against UVA to support a cancer organization related to Lax today.

Nice to see a cause not sticking to pink. might have pics/links tomorrow

• MPowers1634 | February 17, 2008 at 3:48 pm |

Sorry, There is a ferocious puggle nipping at me while I type: anti-song girls

• Marty Met | February 17, 2008 at 3:48 pm |

I’m the first one to scream about boring uniforms. I HATE Penn States football uni’s and lord knows I think the Yankees look like C-R-A-P crap!! But I like the Tigers uniforms. Maybe it’s because I have an affinity to Mark Fidrych, who knows.

• Marty Met | February 17, 2008 at 3:50 pm |

Wow, you threw me a curve Johnny O. I thought for sure that comment was by Marty Met.[/quote]

I like the Tigers uniforms, and BTW I LOVE the Ducks SOD basketball uniforms.

• =bg= | February 17, 2008 at 4:13 pm |

Y’all ready for some NASCAR? Shore ‘tang!

Fan demand makes Earnhardt’s new adidas clothing the iPhone of NASCAR

• Stuby | February 17, 2008 at 4:16 pm |

I like the Tigers uniforms, and BTW I LOVE the Ducks SOD basketball uniforms.[/quote]

• =bg= | February 17, 2008 at 4:17 pm |

(CNN.com)

• Taauub | February 17, 2008 at 4:25 pm |

On another Michigan-related sports note, I just watched the Michigan-Ohio State game and I noticed that while U-M’s jerseys are definitely made by Under Armor, most of the benchwarmers seemed to still be wearing the Nike warmups. I didn’t get any screengrabs or anything so I can’t confirm it but has anyone else noticed this?[/quote]

No, Michigan’s Uniforms are Nike. You can see it in the image on the side of this article They will be until the end of this year. Next year Michigan starts their deal with Adidas.

• Mike Engle | February 17, 2008 at 4:25 pm |

[quote comment=”226755″](CNN.com)
    DAR ES SALAAM, Tanzania (CNN) — President Bush gave Tanzania’s president, who played basketball as a youth, a pair of Shaquille O’Neal’s shoes Sunday, along with millions of dollars to help combat disease and poverty in the east African country. The gift of the American basketball icon’s size-23 hightops spoke to the lighter side of Bush’s visit.[/quote]
    For their sake, I hope the Shaq shoes were in the old Miami Heat-inspired colorway. The red would match better with the Pats 19-0 shirts.

• ToasterPoodle | February 17, 2008 at 4:44 pm |

[quote comment=”226574″][quote comment=”226540″]Now this is a good open thread post. There’s been a ton of great pictures from the early spring training workouts, and the Tigers photos have been the most beautiful by far. Thank you, Bryan, for posting something worthwhile (and not something related to cycling, your personal life, or something that’s a poor attempt at being funny).

[/quote]
    A back-handed compliment if ever there was one.[/quote]
    I also love how the people who rip on Bryan for being off uni-topic, are themselves off topic (as is this post)
    Props Bryan for this, and all previous work!

• Frankie | February 17, 2008 at 4:46 pm |

[quote comment=”226727″]Gotta hand it to the Giants. Stirrups on the guys’ feet, classic timeless uniforms, only numbers on the backs, and a great-looking park to play in.[/quote]

It’s almost enough to get us through what appears to be another dreadful season.

On a somewhat random note, while I couldn’t find the action shot of I believe Will Clark, I would love to see the Giants break out these for a home game on the 4th of July.

• Frankie | February 17, 2008 at 4:53 pm |

[quote comment=”226720″][quote comment=”226701″][quote comment=”226653″][quote comment=”226637″]there is hope. Go Giants[/quote]

BTW, I can’t think of anything else LA is known for besides traffic and plastic surgery.[/quote]

And if you look at the bride on the patch it resembles both the Golden Gate Bridge and the section of the Bay Bridge linked to in the picture.

• SoCalPM | February 17, 2008 at 4:54 pm |

Just wanted to give a heads-up/question…
    Has anyone mentioned anything about a possible Black Jersey unveiling for USC (So Cal) tonight against the UCLA Bruins? If not, this is your warning. Although black is not a part of the color scheme (Cardinal and Gold), the theme for the night is “Black out the Bruins” and from a source inside the Athletic Department they are also supposed to be using an all black uni design along with it.

Black-uniform haters be warned.

• Zach Smith | February 17, 2008 at 5:11 pm |

I could be wrong, but it looks like Zumaya’s wearing cool flo in that shot. But since that’s the only possible problem, it’s pretty dang good.

• Ben | February 17, 2008 at 5:25 pm |

early this morning I asked Jamie Moyer why he still wears the stirrups. He said ” I was taught to play that way…If I wanted to I’d wear pajamas to work that went under my shoes.” Hmm, is he a little annoyed at how sloppy some other players are?

• Ben | February 17, 2008 at 5:32 pm |

Question for the font nerds:

question for the cheerleader nerds…look at the one under the basket

does anyone know what the qualifications for cheerleader are?[/quote]

She has pom poms.[/quote]
    notice not a single blonde among them.

• Ben | February 17, 2008 at 5:41 pm |

this has to have been mentioned before but the pirates are using a 40th anniversary patch of their spring training in Bradenton, Florida.

• Jerry | February 17, 2008 at 6:17 pm |

Willis will wear number 21, Cabrera will wear number 24

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 7:00 pm |

[quote]I LOVE the Ducks SOD basketball uniforms.[/quote]

me too!

i think these are the BEST unis herr knight and co. have yet trotted out for the duckies…however, they ONLY got the lightning color correct…they have screwed up 3 things, imho

1. LOSE THE CAMO & PANT STRIPING and for god sakes, if you’re going to have that shit

2. PUT IT ON BOTH SIDES…uniforms should be…well…uniform; and finally

3. NNOB?…that would actually be great…unfortunately, the braintrust of beaverton have decided that the NOB should be the SAME FUCKIN COLOR as the uni

here’s what i want: the ducks (obviously) are alone in their neon yellow (“lightning”)…great…don’t fuck it up with that supurflous crap (stripes, camo, diamond plate, etc)…since you’ve obviously decided that, despite your school colors being yellow and green, you’re not averse to adding black…keep the yellow and ONLY use MIDNIGHT METALLIC BLACK as your second color

i can’t tell you how fuckin sweet that would look

ok…done

• joe | February 17, 2008 at 7:09 pm |

[quote comment=”226693″]I do not understand the big hoopla about teams advertising soooo they put one ad (soccer style) on the chest or on the lower back like a tramp stamp… that’s what I saw in the picture it there was a Panasonic logo going down the arms and a prudential logo on the chest.

Is it really going to make you hate the sport that much and love the game you’ve love since a child and all that junk!? [/quote]

yes, it will also be one more in an amazingly long list of fuck ups but Buttman while running this league into the ground. I swear that a-hole is still working for the NBA considering the decisions that he makes for the NHL.

They estimate they can make *up to* $30M/year. That means the league would be selling its soul for only up to $1M for each team coffers.

• E_Ro | February 17, 2008 at 7:21 pm |

• E_Ro | February 17, 2008 at 7:21 pm |

Ads ever appear on a NHL sweater. Bettman only mirrors the 3 other major pro leagues. For example, the NFL gets ugly designed rbk jerseys, the nhl does. Bettman would never make a move to make the NHL more like a minor sport such as the MLS.

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 7:25 pm |

the nhl is a major sport?

• Jordan | February 17, 2008 at 7:27 pm |

Question for the font nerds:

question for the cheerleader nerds…look at the one under the basket

does anyone know what the qualifications for cheerleader are?[/quote]

She has pom poms.[/quote]

This is what happens when cheerleadering is made a work-study job.

• Tom | February 17, 2008 at 7:44 pm |

Great breakdown of all star shoes

I’m sorry, kicks

• Al | February 17, 2008 at 8:05 pm |

Question for the font nerds:

question for the cheerleader nerds…look at the one under the basket

does anyone know what the qualifications for cheerleader are?[/quote]

She has pom poms.[/quote]

This is what happens when cheerleadering is made a work-study job.[/quote]

• Stan aka the took | February 17, 2008 at 8:11 pm |

[quote comment=”226811″][quote]Bettman would never make a move to make the NHL more like a minor sport such as the MLS.[/quote]

the nhl is a major sport?[/quote]

nhl?

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 8:40 pm |

is everyone ready for the official unveiling of the nba all star unis?

• Chris | February 17, 2008 at 8:42 pm |

• MattG | February 17, 2008 at 8:42 pm |

Check out this link of a gallery from NBA.com from the celeb game friday night:

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 8:45 pm |

[quote comment=”226831″]Check out this link of a gallery from NBA.com from the celeb game friday night:

I’m not sure why, but I love these jerseys! My buddy the hornets fans wants one bad![/quote]

italics off?

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 8:49 pm |

ok…the 2 tone unis look EVEN WORSE in action than in stills

• Jeff B | February 17, 2008 at 8:50 pm |

This is terrible. I can’t watch these unis.

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 8:54 pm |

[quote comment=”226832″]I love that on the All-Star’s warm-ups under their name is the logo’s of all the other all-star games they’ve attended. Very nice touch. Any body got a screen grab?[/quote]

here…d wade

• Steve | February 17, 2008 at 8:54 pm |

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD

I cannot watch this damn gamen….It’s like you can’t follow who is on what team. These are almost as bad as the uni’s from Phoenix and San Antonio from back in the day

• Shane | February 17, 2008 at 8:54 pm |

It’s like watching two entirely different games. Urgh.

• Drew | February 17, 2008 at 8:54 pm |

Seriously, these jerseys….ugh. Someone needs to be fired at adidas.

• Beau G | February 17, 2008 at 8:58 pm |

These are insanely bad uniforms in the All-Star game. I can barely tell the difference between the East’s gray backs and the West’s front whites.

• Marcus Hall | February 17, 2008 at 8:58 pm |

i literally have thrown up in….sorry bout that

I mean what in the name of all things human is this

• Tom K | February 17, 2008 at 8:58 pm |

I agree with the posts above, this is the first game i have seen where i have trouble watching the game and being able to tell whats going on, and ive watched some ugly games. Think Oregon-Oregon St and Illinois in Orange vs Wisconsin in red

• Flugel Horn | February 17, 2008 at 8:58 pm |

I’ve just turned-off the NBA all-star game, after less than 1 minute of game action.

Watching those uniforms is “too much work” for me, as players from opposing teams look like the same colour, when some are standing facing the camera and others are facing away.

I trust that you know what I’m trying to say. All 10 players on the court won’t always be facing the same direction: so 2 players that show “blue” might be on same team, or might be opposing.

Too much mental work to watch this: this is my weekend, not a mental-allertness-test for me.

I choose to not watch, and to find some way to relax on my Sunday night.

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 9:00 pm |
  • LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 9:03 pm |

that does it…i have officially just turned on knight rider

• Marty Met | February 17, 2008 at 9:03 pm |

[quote comment=”226754″][quote comment=”226749″][quote comment=”226658″][quote comment=”226646″]I know I am gonna get yelled at for this, but I think the Tiger’s home whites are absolutely rancid. They are just too plain for me. I know, I know… they are classic, and you can’t go wrong with classic, but in my opinion I really don’t like them. I much prefer their road gray’s.[/quote]

I’m sorry. I was going by your hatred of Penn State and the Yanks. Figured you hated all understated unis.[/quote]

I hate most of them. Notre Dame for instanc too, but for some reason, can’t explain I don’t mind the Tigers.

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 9:15 pm |

tim duncan and chris bosh are on opposite teams

/and who thought this was a good idea?

• Marcus Hall | February 17, 2008 at 9:16 pm |

same here!

• Marc | February 17, 2008 at 9:21 pm |

wow… this is unbelievable…. Stern is gunna see some kind of backlash tomorrow.

i was watching an ESPN chat to see if there was any info on the Kidd trade, and John Hollinger of ESPN came in and bashed the jersey… its pretty much everywhere… CBS Sportsline, ESPN, pretty much every blog you go to.. wow.. amazing

I think well see some of Paul’s best NBA / Adidas bashing tomorrow…

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 9:25 pm |
  • TD | February 17, 2008 at 9:30 pm |

Just turned on the game for a minute, looks like four teams playing at once, brain dumb, no more.

• Marcus Hall | February 17, 2008 at 9:31 pm |

[quote comment=”226859″]west east defends west[/quote]

with the equally atrocious shoes…..

• Lauren | February 17, 2008 at 9:32 pm |

[quote comment=”226859″]west east defends west[/quote]

If you’re happy (to be out of Jersey) and you know it clap your hands.

P.S. Al, your shoe’s untied.

• Matt | February 17, 2008 at 9:47 pm |

No pics, but at the Scotties Tournament of Hearts(Womens curling for the uneducated *cough* Americans *cough*) All of the ladies has a jacket patch. I believe it has ‘DW’ on it.
    No idea what it is for, but it might be a tribute to the Saskatchewan’s Skip’s father who passed away right before the start of the tournament.
    Sorry if this is a repost

• Jonathan | February 17, 2008 at 10:01 pm |

[quote comment=”226780″]
    Side note: This would be the 4th uniform design used by the Trojans this season, possibly the most in NCAA’s??[/quote]

Nope, Liberty’s worn five different uniforms this year. We had whites and blues to start the season, then switched uniforms before conference play and now have whites, reds, and blues.

• Johnny O | February 17, 2008 at 10:04 pm |

In golf news, Jeff Quinney, (who placed 2nd today at the Northern Trust Open) wore a Phoenix Coyotes logo on his shirt today. The best pic I can find is this it is the 9th picture in the slideshow. When asked about the hockey logo, he stated:

“Basically, my management group is the brother of Wayne Gretzky’s manager, and just developed a relationship and it just started,” he explained. “So we’re excited about that.” The Oregon native added: “I’m still learning a lot about the sport,” he said. “I definitely go to the hockey games when I’m back in town. I’m actually going to drop the puck I think next week, and they are going to make me my own jersey, which is kind of fun to do.”

• Jordan Pope | February 17, 2008 at 10:11 pm |

usc goin black nike system of dress tonight against ucla

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 10:14 pm |

can’t wait to see what paul has to say about this

• Spencer | February 17, 2008 at 10:18 pm |

[quote comment=”226637″]there is hope. Go Giants[/quote]
    Amen.

• Dre | February 17, 2008 at 10:28 pm |

[quote comment=”226780″]Just wanted to give a heads-up/question…

Black-uniform haters be warned.

It is also a Nike System Uniform…

• David | February 17, 2008 at 10:29 pm |

[quote comment=”226879″]the WORST uni disaster of 2008…and this should cover the remaining 10 1/2 months too…including whatever yankmee asg unis they come up with

can’t wait to see what paul has to say about this[/quote]

Truly like watching 4 teams playing at once.

• James Craven | February 17, 2008 at 10:31 pm |

[quote comment=”226876″]“Southern California going black Nike System of Dress Frox for Jox tonight against UCLA.”[/quote]

Sadly two things:

1. Yet another unneeded black uniform when the regular colors are traditional. Now, if our favorite Song Girls wore black, that’d be another horse of a different fire department.

2. Nike’s System of Dress is suckworthy material on many teams.

• JimmyR | February 17, 2008 at 10:32 pm |

The lack of defense at all-star games usually makes it unwatchable for me, but the unis did it this year — and less than 3 minutes into the game.

Several times I thought a player was mistakenly throwing it to the other team. Totally unwatchable …

• Jordan Pope | February 17, 2008 at 10:33 pm |

[quote comment=”226883″][quote comment=”226780″]Just wanted to give a heads-up/question…

Black-uniform haters be warned.

It is also a Nike System Uniform…[/quote]

Oregon ducks have the most
    white
    green
    black
    lightning (non sod)
    lightning (sod)

• Stan aka the took | February 17, 2008 at 10:37 pm |

If the blue team had the gold and the white team had the silver then it could maybe work a little… cause you know dark with dark light with light. I stopped watching after the first quarter cause I got a headache.

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 10:37 pm |

[quote comment=”226887″]Oregon ducks have the most
    [/quote]

the nba all star game has the most

• Jordan Pope | February 17, 2008 at 10:43 pm |

[quote comment=”226889″][quote comment=”226887″]Oregon ducks have the most
    [/quote]

the nba all star game has the most[/quote]
    your right my mistake

• Eric H | February 17, 2008 at 10:58 pm |

Just ringing in another eeek about the NBA All-Star uni’s. As a former stat crew guy, I feel way sorry for the stat crew on this game trying to make sense of home vs. visitor plays.

• TOG | February 17, 2008 at 11:01 pm |

I LOVE the Ducks SOD basketball uniforms.

me too!

2. PUT IT ON BOTH SIDES…uniforms should be…well…uniform; and finally

here’s what i want: the ducks (obviously) are alone in their neon yellow (”lightning”)…great…don’t fuck it up with that supurflous crap (stripes, camo, diamond plate, etc)…since you’ve obviously decided that, despite your school colors being yellow and green, you’re not averse to adding black…keep the yellow and ONLY use MIDNIGHT METALLIC BLACK as your second color

i can’t tell you how fuckin sweet that would look

ok…done

The funniest thing about Nike’s “System of Dress” ensemble unis (does a male athlete want to be know by wearing a dress? okay off topic…) is that they look exactly like they were designed by UNDER ARMOUR. Hey Phil, you got the cash, if you want to copy UA just buy the fuckers…don;t rip ’em off for chrissakes…

• Rod | February 17, 2008 at 11:01 pm |

was watching the ASG with my 8 year old nephew who summed it up best… “It looks like four different teams are playing!”

• =bg= | February 17, 2008 at 11:03 pm |

I have now seen the ugliest shoes ever to exist. Whatever happened to the nice clean Nike ‘Bruin’?

As a side note, I got a pair of adidas ABA Americana’s in 1972..and I remember they cost 29.95. I thought, ‘man is my dad gonna be upset mom spent almost THIRTY DOLLARS on SNEAKERS.”

HA!

• Marcus Hall | February 17, 2008 at 11:05 pm |

was the home team determined by the front color or the back color….

• =bg= | February 17, 2008 at 11:07 pm |

PS referring to those dreadful Kobe things. Barf.

• TOG | February 17, 2008 at 11:09 pm |

NBA’s “System of Backward” All-Star Unis fits the direction of the League…straight backward…so I think you have to give them credit for getting it right or wrong…I’m confused, who’s the East and who’s the West…

Doesn’t Iverson play for Philly? And Kidd for Phoenix? No? They don’t, really? Yeah, the NBA went the way of Kid’N’Play…

• SoCalPVguy | February 17, 2008 at 11:10 pm |

As a “high Dollar” “Cardinal and Gold” level support donor to USC,I cannot stress my objection to black uni’s any more forcefully, the school colors and CARDINAL AND GOLD no black in any way is used not even as trim. The BB team should read their own University’s style/logo guideline book, its very long and comprehensive, I assure you black uniformns are not an allowed style of the USC “marque”. I posted that and received this reponse on the SC message board:

The White background on the uniform isnt our school color either. Its just matter of you accepting the white background as the norm.

As tradtitionalist, I again reject that arguement and if they wear black football jersies I’ll quit sending money. I refuse to wear a black USC shirt – as Peate carroll says in his fan e-mails “WEAR CARDINAL !!!”

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 11:14 pm |

[quote comment=”226857″][quote comment=”226849″]that does it…i have officially just turned on knight rider[/quote]

same here![/quote]

good to see the hoff on tv again

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 11:29 pm |

[quote comment=”226876″]usc goin black nike system of dress tonight against ucla[/quote]

ok then

rooting for the white c now

• Straw | February 17, 2008 at 11:36 pm |

• Straw | February 17, 2008 at 11:38 pm |

[quote comment=”226906″]I don’t hate the logo or the numbering or lettering on the AS uniforms but why reverse the colors. Less is more and classic would sell more product. I watched the 1998 All-Star game this afetrnoon on ESPN Classic and those uniforms were really tight. Basic and Classic. [/quote]
    Basic and Classic.

• HB | February 17, 2008 at 11:50 pm |

Question for the font nerds:

question for the cheerleader nerds…look at the one under the basket

does anyone know what the qualifications for cheerleader are?[/quote]

She has pom poms.[/quote]

This is what happens when cheerleadering is made a work-study job.[/quote]

Why is Yale wearing their road jerseys at home? Did they forget the bleach cycle?[/quote]

• LI Phil | February 17, 2008 at 11:58 pm |

couple more usc SAD SOD black unis

• Straw | February 18, 2008 at 12:01 am |

Question for the font nerds:

question for the cheerleader nerds…look at the one under the basket

does anyone know what the qualifications for cheerleader are?[/quote]

She has pom poms.[/quote]

This is what happens when cheerleadering is made a work-study job.[/quote]

I posted this pic because someone was asking if it was new this year that the Ivies have been wearing dark unis at home. This pic is from last year and clearly shows that wearing dark home unis isn’t a recent development.[/quote]

• TD | February 18, 2008 at 12:08 am |

[quote comment=”226910″][quote comment=”226908″][quote comment=”226827″][quote comment=”226812″][quote comment=”226732″][quote comment=”226692″][quote comment=”226691″][quote comment=”226684″]from the Yale-Harvard men’s game last year[/quote]
    Question for the font nerds:

question for the cheerleader nerds…look at the one under the basket

does anyone know what the qualifications for cheerleader are?[/quote]

She has pom poms.[/quote]

This is what happens when cheerleadering is made a work-study job.[/quote]

Not sure about the font name for the uniform numbers but what is your beef with the cheerleader?[/quote]

Actually, what gets me in that picture is that the ‘1’ and ‘0’ on Harvard 10 aren’t the same size.

• TD | February 18, 2008 at 12:14 am |

If you catch the old Joey Porter NFL Equipment hoodie ad where he spits the mouthpiece onto it, you’ll notice that they’ve CGI replaced PITTSBURGH STEELERS with MIAMI DOLPHINS on the hoodie in a surreal dayglow orange in order to keep the ad current.

• SoCalPM | February 18, 2008 at 12:26 am |

[quote comment=”226901″]if they wear black football jersies I’ll quit sending money.”[/quote]

SoCalPVguy don’t worry, I was on the team two years ago when the whole asymmetrical sleeve fad was starting and nike approached Coach Carrol with a black jersey scheme and he shot it down immediately. So, as long as he is there to rule the roost, we’ll be staying true to tradition.

And by the way, thanks for the monetary support.

• =bg= | February 18, 2008 at 12:31 am |

Deadspin no likey NBA unis.

• Jordan Pope | February 18, 2008 at 1:19 am |

[quote comment=”226897″]http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/TheSportingBlog/136540/

HA![/quote]

lol
    the best ASG game sneakers had to be coming out of Jordan
    the xx3’s for the east and west, both were good and the M4’s which melo switched to in the first half and the CP3’s for CP3 which he changed into either the first half or halftime
    everything else was horrible

• Jordan Pope | February 18, 2008 at 1:19 am |

HA![/quote]

lol
    the best ASG game sneakers had to be coming out of Jordan
    everything else was horrible

• ll722 | February 18, 2008 at 1:24 am |

Well here’s their club team…

• SoCalPVguy | February 18, 2008 at 1:39 am |

To SoCalPM: Also thanks to you for playing (and well, too, that was a great team you were on). Thnaks for the info… Although it’s never easy to lose to to ucla, it may take the sting out if it results in vere seeing those horrible black uni’s again !!!

BTW, I think our crosstown friends, the brewskis, tried black a few years ago, lost big in them and then dumped black forever – I hope we do the same.

PS I noticed that PC was at the game – in a white sweater.

• SoCalPVguy | February 18, 2008 at 1:39 am |

PS I noticed that PC was at the game – in a white sweater.

• SoCalPVguy | February 18, 2008 at 1:43 am |

My bigest objection was that both NBA all star uni’s contained white – on the front of one and on the back of another; so when you had an offensive player facing a backing-up defender they both looked like they were on the same team.

• Jack H. | February 18, 2008 at 2:57 am |

[quote comment=”226756″][quote comment=”226724″]Let’s also hope that D-Train keeps those socks high this season.

By the way I had a post eaten earlier in response to Tigers uniform being boring.[/quote]

Man, I coulda sworn that Harris’ (or was it Simms…forgive me for being a State fan, I don’t know any of the UM players…) uniform really close up had the UnderArmor logo on the little neckline thing. Oh well.

• scott | February 18, 2008 at 7:46 am |

I know in some D-3 hoops leagues, teams play all their games on Fridays and Saturdays, and the home team will wear whites on Fridays and then darks on Saturdays. Perhaps the Ivy League is like that?

• Teebz | February 18, 2008 at 8:21 am |

You know, I really tire of the jokes of the NHL not being one of the major four sports leagues in North America. Just because it isn’t popular in the US doesn’t make it any less popular outside of the US.

Do I come on here and rip MLS or the NBA or the UFC? No. Why? I think the athletes deserve my respect for playing a game they love while trying to earn a buck entertaining the masses with that sport. Sure, the sport may not be for everyone, but why does one person have to crap on everyone involved in that sport just because that one person doesn’t like the sport?

The joke is old and tired much like “the green dot” joke. We all know some poeple hold pig farming in a higher regard than the NHL. But like the green dot issue, just shut up about it, please.

• joe | February 18, 2008 at 12:58 pm |

[quote comment=”226809″]Ads will never appear on a NHL sweater. Bettman only mirrors the 3 other major pro leagues. For example, the NFL gets ugly designed rbk jerseys, the nhl does. Bettman would never make a move to make the NHL more like a minor sport such as the MLS.[/quote]
    Everything Buttman does, makes my NHL more and more minor league. Show me the pro league that cancelled a season

• Jim | February 18, 2008 at 3:05 pm |

The Tigers home uniforms are sweet. Being a Tiger fan, for many years that is all I had to hang on to were those beautiful home uni’s. My only hope is some day they class up their road uni’s? It would be nice to see them at least get rid of either the orange or white boarder color. IMHO